Habs given day off Thursday after loss in Philly

The Canadiens flew home after Wednesday night’s 3-1 loss to the Flyers in Philadelphia and were given the day off Thursday by coach Michel Therrien.

The Canadiens will practise next at 11 a.m. Friday in Brossard before facing the Stanley Cup-champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

A day after being named to Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics, P.K. Subban found himself back in coach Michel Therrien’s doghouse. Subban took a roughing penalty during a scrum at the end of the second period and found himself benched for the first half of the third period.

“Very bad penalty,” Therrien told reporters in Philadelphia after the game. “The team concept will always prevail. We’ll never, never, never change that.”

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Therrien was simply doing his job by benching Subban, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Flyers jump to early lead, hold on for win, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs didn’t execute, Therrien says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

GM Bergevin says Habs are on right track, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Canadiens have rich history at Olympics, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs fly by night out of Philly, Canadiens.com

Words from the room (video), Canadiens.com

Red-hot Flyers could be darkhorse in the East, The Hockey News

Sabres name Tim Murray general manager, NHL.com

1,414 Comments

1. Plekasuares says:

Subban agrees

2. Lil Snapper says:

Just recieved my Price Heritage Classic Jersey, I know quite a bit late and extremely moot after the horrible performance of that game. But damn this jersey is beautiful!

3. mrhabby says:

A total of 12 trades has taken place so far this year in the league. Just goes to show you how hard it is to make trades in a cap world.

4. jon514 says:

Hey Guys,

Anyone know if there is an award for most improved player in the OHL? Brady Vail is +54 from where he ended last season… I’m excited to see what he does in Hamilton next year!

5. habstrinifan says:

Well I’m off for today.
    Hissy Fit!
    I’m benching my mouse.
    Not even gonna pull my goalie, John*son!

6. WindsorHab-10 says:

Is Michel Therrien still the coach?

Habs are practicing 5 on 0 again. Cool.

Btw, Pacs is in Connecticut with his son, according to G Therrien.

• 24 Cups says:

That’s a nice gesture on the part of Hab management. Great use of an off day and geographic proximity.

• Eddie says:

I hope the young boy is ok. I remember when my first born son arrived 21 years ago, it was quite unnerving.

• Timo says:

Apparently it’s a newborn baby. Article on RDS. So, congrats to Max.

L’attaquant du Tricolore a obtenu congé afin de rejoindre sa femme qui vient d’accoucher d’un garçon au Connecticut. Il sera de retour plus tard aujourd’hui.

• mrhabby says:

yes..its been confirmed that his wife went through labor and all 3 are resting well and getting use to each other.

Max has gone out for lunch and will be changing diapers shortly.

• jon514 says:

My first child (daughter) was born this year. Having a kid lit a fire under me to be better at … everything really, but specifically work and home life. Here’s hoping Patches follows my example and finds another gear!

• Maksimir says:

Interesting you mentioned Pacs being home with child… I notice around the league that most players with their first infant at home seem to usually have an off season. Really understandable – first time daddy, and pressure of playing in the big show. I had a rough first year just at my relatively low stress job sitting on my duff all day.

8. Old Bald Bird says:

It’s not the winning or losing so much as uninspired, lackluster play that grinds my gears. Speaking of gears, exactly when and why did this team shift from being a somewhat exciting skating team to a grinding team … that can’t grind?

• Steeltown Hab says:

It needs to be about Therrien, not about the personnel group in his eyes.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• shiram says:

Somewhere between games 16 and 22 I think…
      I remember those first games well, the team was speedy, hard on the puck and was scoring in bunches.
      They shot alot of rubber while preventing the other team from doing so.
      Now it’s absolutely boring hockey.
      I feel like the Leafs about 1 month and a half ago, they still had a good record, but everyone said they were lucky to have those wins.
      The latest half of the games played so far, the Habs have been lucky to get those wins.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

The question becoming did the team’s play change or the opposition’s tactics and an inability to respond effectively to that change? I blame Therrien. It’s his job to prepare his team properly.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

9. Luke says:

Question for the crew, and not a shot a PK (but perhaps at managment):

Can you build a winner with a defensman as your MVP player? Has a team actually done it recently?

The Hawks who have arguably the best Dman in the league are driven by Kane and Toews.
    Boston with Chara has Lucic and Kreiji and Bergeron.
    Even with Lidstrom, possibly the best of all time, the Wings were still Datsyuk, Yzerman and Zetterberg.

Without a better crew upfront (or until Galchenyuk “gets there”), the Habs best player being PK is similar to Nashville and Weber.

Good enough to compete for playoffs, but lacking the talent to get far. Nashville compensated to some degree with endless grinders, Montreal has the shifty-speedies, but ultimately it’ll fail unless you get premiere talent up front (specifically at centre).

And I think you can find a premier Dman easier than a premier Centre.

• Steeltown Hab says:

We have a way better forward core than Nashville and if anything you just showed the trend that all those cup winners had.

Keith, Doughty, Chara, Lidstrom – You need a stud #1 – Thats one piece we have forsure.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

I’m not sure if our forward core is much better than Nashville’s. It’s certainly different though, and they lack a Max type scorer.

I think MTL and Nash are eerily similar, not in terms of style of play, but in terms of their place in the growth of a team.

I agree PK is the stud Dman, But we don’t have the other piece of the trend. Multiple stud forwards.
        I just can’t think of a Cup winning team where the defenseman in the go to guy. (Well, Bobby Orr. But even he had Espo!)

Very valid points. All the more reason why we cannot be making trades for rentals yet. Our team last year, while injured in the playoffs, couldn’t score a fricking goal to save their lives. We are already starting to dry up in the scoring dept. Galchenyuk has only been gone one game, and he is the future of our forward dept.

No reason you still can’t build around PK, but the problem is that when PK is the leading scorer on the team, you have no offensive scoring from where you need it.

The other day on the broadcast the point was made, who was the last Defenceman to lead the Habs in scoring for the regular season.

I will provide the answer shortly, but will let you guess.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

What makes you so sure Galchenyuk will “get there ” I’m as big a fan of him a most but he hasn’t shown anything special to me yet. He is definitely a defensive mess and yes a good skater but really what supports him being a superstar in the near future. I hope you are correct in your projection for hiim but it is doubtful. He hasn’t progressed much at all this year. Really watch him as best you can…notice the panic passes or getting rid of the puck prematurely. He just isn’t as good as the forum posters say he is.

• Walmyr says:

Luke, very good points.

I believe you can build a winner team with a D as the MVP player. I really don’t have a issue with that. But your (our) team has to be just complete (like the Hawks…as you said)…

…Ray Bourque had a fantastic career. He was the face of Bruins for +20 years. I think ha had 2 real chances to win the cup in the late 80’s. But at the end of his career he decided to go to a truly contender (Roy’s Avalanche) in order to win the cup.

That was a real good team, from their goalie to their forwards (Sakic and Forsberg to name a few). And the defense (Bourque, Foote and Blake) was amazing. Again, a complete team.

Ok…we all agree that is realy good to have PK and Price to start…lol

CHeers

10. GL says:

Up Front here’s our keepers: Plekanec, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller, Bournival. If we want a chance at winning a cup the remaining forwards must go.

• Luke says:

I’d say Galchenyuk is the only one I wouldn’t trade.

But, if the deal was right (Toews or Tavares? Sure!) he’s out too.

(I’d also say “May” go as opposed to “Must” but that’s semantics.

(PK and Price fall into my Galchenyuk category as well).

• 24 Cups says:

GL – That means we are only half way there!

On defense, the team only has four players that fit the bill, which leaves another two spots open.

Only six forwards, two defensemen and three subs to go, which once again means we are only half way there!

I’m not trying to pick on you, it’s just the past 24 hours in Habland has been the most tedious, over the top time in recent memory.

I often wonder what it must be like to be a fan of the Oilers, Flames, Islanders, Blue Jackets or Jets. Imagine having to visit their websites on a daily, weekly or monthly (or yearly!) basis.

• Eddie says:

That’s incorrect. Those are the scorers. Every team needs players like Moen, White, as 4th liners who play for 1 or 2 million.

There is nothing wrong with a 4th line of Moen/White/Prust. That is a completely comparable 4th line to any in the NHL.

Our problem is that our supposed scoring line is Max/DD/Gallagher. That line gets shut down in the playoffs when calls get more scarce than they are now.
      Plex is actually playing the role of 2nd line, by covering other teams first lines. Gionta/Plex/Bourque This is concerning by way of Gionta getting old and less effective, and Bourque being Bourque, an enigma.

Our third line could be very good with Galchenyuk/Eller/Briere, but again is Briere really an answer to anything?

We need our first line Center to be Galchenyuk for this team to be having a chance. DD simply can’t be our Number one line center, problem is that he is most effective playing as a number one line center.

We only need to swap out a couple players, there is no reason to rid ourselves of our 4th line.

• habcertain says:

Besides getting out the gate nicely, Bournival has not accomplished much and I wonder if he had been returned to the Dogs he would have benefitted. Once the adrenalin was gone, he has struggled, don’t see 4th minutes in a grinding role ( not his type of play) accomplishing much development.

11. Eddie says:

I hate to be a downer but I see a big down trend in our future.

We have stopped scoring 5 on 5 and we’ve dropped to around 21st or 22nd in the league in that category. (That’s Jacques Martin territory)

Our power play is absolutely vital to our scoring and it is struggling badly, as teams have challenged Subban and Markov up top very aggressively, and our team as not been able to adjust.

Price has played inconsistently lately, more so than at any time in the season, and he may have a groin injury.

Or schedule is much tougher leading up to the Olympcs and our best players will be playing through the Olympic break. After the break, our schedule is even tougher.

The next 25 games could drop us right on the “bubble” fighting for our playoff lives, I am suggesting.

• Cal says:

That’s what I’ve meant by the Habs being a “bubble” team. From what I’ve seen of this group, they aren’t tough enough for the 2nd season and will have a tough time getting to it. The only thing preventing a fall in the standings is how bad other Eastern teams have been.

• Forum Dog says:

There have been a lot of games where the Habs have been kept afloat by their goaltending. They have statistical scoring depth (many players over 20 points), but the offense is not great 5 on 5 and their most dangerous player is usually #76, who is a d-man.

If they go into the playoffs with the roster they have, it will be tough sledding. If they face a big-strong team in the first round, it could be a replay of last year. And like you say, if either of Price or PK get hurt or falter down the stretch, the playoffs could slip out of their grasp. Some like to point out that they are 3rd in the division and 3 points out of first, but they are also 8 points up on 9th, and there is a logjam there. As was expected, it is a tough division.

I’d love to see MB make a bold move. Not sure what that is, but bringing some jam to the top-six would be a start, as would be getting a good RH d-man who can play top 4. With as many as 14 or 15 of the 16 Eastern Conference teams still competing for a spot, it will be a sellers market…..

12. Cal says:

Most of the beef with Therrien (from older posters anyway) is the style of game the Habs are playing lately. Dump and chase won’t work with this group, as witnessed by how quickly and easily the opposition clears the puck from their zone after a dump in. This is expected during a line change and once in a while to back the Dmen off from the blue line.
    However, as a constant tactic it simply has to stop. The Habs don’t have enough linebacker types to go get the puck with any consistency. In essence, the Habs style lately has been to keep giving the puck to the other team, and that’s a losing proposition.

• Forum Dog says:

Yep. The forechecking by Habs the top six is weak. Pacioretty is effective but inconsistent, and Plekanec and Desharnais just flat-out cannot body check. Gionta and Gallagher give it a good go, but are not big enough to be effective against most NHL d-men.

I heard it said that Therrien feels this is a “grinding” team, but when they are at their best they are a skilled transition team, not board-battlers.

• Eddie says:

It’s Jacques Martin 2.0 for sheets sakes.

• Cal says:

Unfortunately, that’s very true. Dull, boring hockey. “Hey boys, I want you to chase the puck all night.” Poor strategy.

I was going to say the same thing. Do you recall when Stubbs had those articles in the offseason a couple years back with interviews he had done with Gill, Spacek and I think even Gionta. They spoke of how this chip and chase game was completely not what the team was built to do. This is getting eerily similar.

• Eddie says:

It’s like Martin never happened. I’m sure this is what is ailing the team.

Last year it was fun to play the game. This year it’s sour.

There were problems last year also, our penalty kill was a nightmare, and we spent long periods of time in our defensive zone. But at least once they got the puck they didn’t throw it away.

We simply don’t have enough talent/depth yet to be a contender. But indeed it seems we are playing a style of game which I would consider, “Playing not to Lose” as opposed to “Playing to Win”

13. Tyhudg says:

Someone wrote a comment praising EOTP the other day. Read the last ‘About last night’ and discovered that HIO is trying to become EOTP. Telling the coaches how to coach (Even though the habs are doing better than anybody expected them to do) is silly. Stick to what you do best HIO, and that is report.

14. Kooch7800 says:

Michael Ryder is on fire lately

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

15. GL says:

There’s a few Defencemen in The NHL that’s as good or better in some cases than PK. But Pk is not treated fairly in Montreal. What other team treats their best defenceman the way PK is treated. Not one I can think of. If it continues he should request to move on.

• Habsrule1 says:

Can we get over this whole PK vs MT thing. I can almost guarantee he has.

How about that game tomorrow against the Stanley Cup Champs?!?

Go Habs Go!!

• Sportfan says:

The thing is we don’t know how all the other top Defencemen in the NHL are treated, in St Louis, LA, Vancouver etc. Maybe a lot of them are going through their own crap, I mean its not easy with Torts, or Hitchcock. Myabe PK has it a lot better here than some of the the top guys, is he being treated unfairly? Maybe, probably, but what other Dmen can we compare it with?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Steeltown Hab says:

Only MTL thinks the solution is to treat a 24-yr old Norris winner, Olympian and franchise player like a 19 punk rookie.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

16. habsfan0 says:

I’m quietly optimistic about tomorrow’s game vs the Hawks.
    Mind you,I was quietly optimistic prior to most Buffalo Bills games this season as well.

17. twocents says:

So, of those who responded, everyone believes Montreal has the superior roster. I agree.

But, in the right here right now, I would say the edge the Habs have in roster, is not huge. It’s clear, but not huge.

Does that sound right?

18. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Timo, are you excited about Drewiske, because you need a new mule to whip, and all the old mules are all whipped out? Gotta say, the guy will probably be pretty hungry when he is finally fit to play…

19. JUST ME says:

Just do not know where this is headed. Therrien is not going anywhere anytime soon unless you think that outside HIO the same panic exists. Oh yes it does for all The Marinaros of this planet, but if you look closely everywhere else this whole thing is of minor importance and strangely enough even here the wind is starting to shift and people are now saying that Therrien was right to do what he did in theory but shouldn`t have acted on impulse alone since everyone on the team deserved to be benched against the Flyers.

So to try to find a suitable coach is a usefull as someone`s daily comments here…You know the guy there…But maybe it`s just me !

• mdp2011 says:

While agree that Therrien isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, this is not as minor as you say and there is more than just Marinaro who is
      writing about this. Several reporters from La Presse, RDS, Journal de Montreal are saying the same thing which is Therrien is playing with fire and needs to be careful.

• habcertain says:

You have to look beyond PK and the outcome of what type of contract he signs , if he signs, will dictate the end of this story. But do you see any other players progressing under Therrien, or veterans over producing? If not for Price being able to steal the 2-1 wins we are back with the Leafs, that is the real story, how many games this year have we dominated, not too many. I was hoping Chucky/Gally/Eller who got out of the gate nicely would have progressed, but it is not the case. Also makes me believe that our young defenseman are better off in HAM. This whole MT/PK thing is just a gross over reaction by MT, you sit the guy a shift or two, but half a period in a winnable scenario speaks to the mindset of the coach and validates he hasn’t learned much from his first go around here.

20. Habsrule1 says:

These games before the Olympic break might dictate to some extent what MB does at trade deadline time.

What, as Habs fans should we want to happen at the trade deadline. I’m thinking trade spare parts for us much as you can possibly get. I really don’t care who is traded besides the core if it means we improve our team. Outside of maybe 6-8 players, I’m not all that attached to the rest. The problem is I don’t see us getting much for any of our players, but if we can stock-pile draft picks or maybe put together some sort of decent looking package for a nice addition, I would be thrilled.

Thoughts?

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

Doubt MB makes a move, team is playoff bound, so he can’t do a fire sale, as he needs his young guys to get playoff experience, and he needs his vet to talk and share experience with the young guys.
      And our spare parts are drab and of little worth.

I could see a pick being traded, but I see MB being very stingy with those, so I don’t think it’s likely.
      Thinking it will be the same team in the playoffs.

• Habsrule1 says:

I hope you’re wrong but you’re probably right.

I just think there are many ways to improve your team at the deadline and I’d like the Habs to find one.

Go Habs Go!!

21. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Hey Burly, if he has the sack, does it matter if he has the John son? And what if the Habs acquire a player named John son? Would any of us know about it, or would HIO’s filter death-spiral into nothingness?

I wasn’t on this site when we had Mike John son, I have no idea how that worked. And an excellent question, I am not privy to the answer of that first question, fortunately. ;-)

22. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Bolts lose, Red Wings lose, Bruins lose, Leafs lose…

Pretty good night for the Habs!

According to Gaston Therrien Drewiskie is skating on his own. Woo!!! I am super excited.

Also, Habs are practicing PP and Pacioretty is not on it.

24. temekuhabs says:

Not looking forward to facing the Hawks’.. They handled the Kings quite easily and we all know what the Kings did to les Boys…

25. GL says:

some people on here think a coaching change we’d be a winner. Not so. Player changes will make us a winner. Must be tough with good skills not tough with no skills that’s our problem. Not saying MT is the answer right now no coach will ever win a cup with the present players. Too much deadwood. Playoff team possible, Stanley cup, many years away. we don’t even have a farm team to depend on that’s why they don’t bother bringing up forwards. they’re not good enough. some of the “D” down there yes …

26. nbsjfan says:

Three problems I have with Hickey’s article. Typically I agree with much if not all of what Hickey normally says, but not here.

1. We can rattle off probably a dozen or more examples of players doing similarly stupid things this year. Markov’s 10 minute misconduct in Nashville. No repercussions there. DD’s brainless play on the first goal in Philly. Take your next shift Davey! Therrien’s own brainless bench penalty a few games ago. Did he admit to being misguided or immature?

2. The coach’s job is to do everything within his power to win a game. Would pulling Budaj have made a difference? Probably not, they were awful. But it doesn’t matter. You pull the goalie and hope that a miracle happens. Remember the Carolina game? Down 3-0 the canes looked like crap but within 2 minutes it was 3-3. Those things do happen. Teams do win games they had no business winning.

3. Its not ok for the team to not give a crap but its ok for the coach to give up? I have a big problem with that one. Its one thing for the team to play like they don’t give a crap. Its a completely different ball of wax when the coach gives up.

27. DipsyDoodler says:

We “stole” Chicago’s goalie coach. Rick Dudley preferred being 2nd banana here to boss in Buffalo.

Could we steal a Babcock or Quenneville?

Babcock in particular would be doable. At some point he’ll feel like he needs a new challenge. And coaching the greatest hockey franchise to #25 would be a hoot I would think.

• Habsrule1 says:

And they could play the McGill card to counter-act the francophone thing.

Go Habs Go!!

28. habs-fan-84 says:

Really looking forward to tomorrow night. Should be a great fast paced game against the Hawks!

Over the past few seasons, the Habs have usually played at their best against top teams in the league. Unfortunately, this year we’ve been crushed playing LA and STL.

Hoping for a turn around tomorrow!

29. Mattyleg says:

Hey Shiram,

I don’t know if you saw my response to your last post yesterday, but I just want to reiterate that if I offended you or insulted you, it was completely unintentional.

I was joking around a bit, and perhaps it got taken the wrong way.
    Sorry if that happened, man.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. twocents says:

So, what do people think? Who has the better roster, the Habs or the Red Wings?