Habs given day off before facing Bruins

Following Thursday’s 4-1 win over the Winnipeg Jets, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off Friday before facing the Boston Bruins Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Michael Ryder had two goals and an assist against the Jets, giving him 9-8-17 totals in 17 games with the Canadiens since being acquired from the Dallas Stars in exchange for Erik Cole. Things haven’t been going so well in Dallas for Cole, who has four goals and zero assists in 16 games with the Stars and is minus-9.

Peter Budaj made 33 saves against the Jets to earn his sixth straight victory and improve his season record to 6-1-1 with a 2.28 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage. Budaj actually has a better GAA and save percentage than Carey Price, who has an 18-7-4 record with a 2.30 GAA and .914 save percentage.

The Canadiens will practice at 10:30 a.m. Saturday in Brossard before facing the Bruins.

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Canadiens bounce back as Ryder scores twice, by Pat Hickey

Ryder credits linemates for offensive success, by Pat Hickey

Budaj posts personal milestone, by Dave Stubbs

Canadiens vs. Jets photo gallery

Is Habs’ Price the goalie for Team Canada in Sochi? by Stu Cowan

Jagr scores winner in debut with Bruins, bostonbruins.com

Old-man Jagr should help Bruins’ power play, by Stu Cowan

P.K. Subban teases a few Bruins fans, 24CH

CBC to air movie on Gordie Howe’s life, by Stu Cowan

1. cbcsucks says:

PS; CBC sucks

2. jols101 says:

I’m a huge hockey fan, but in the NHL if a game doesn’t include the CH they just seem like huge yawn fests.

Both Sens/Sabers and Pens/Rangers is like watching a MLB game – just brutal. Like watching paint dry.

Flyers/Pens in the playoffs is the best non CH hockey.

3. habstrinifan says:

I think MT should give the same type of pre-game speech that he gave for Toronto when we wupped their behind.

I like how he talked about ‘respecting’ the opponen but focussing on your own game and abilities. There was a clip on HABS site. He was cool and pointed and very at ease, which definitely transferred to the team. I think that sort of speech is needed for this game. THIS IS A BIG GAME. It will help determine the boy’s playoff psyche in inescapable ways , even if they try to not admit it to themselves.

In the speech prior to the Toronto game you can see that MT infused the boys with a quiet and determined confidence.

4. frontenac1 says:

Youppi,Yuppie….it doesn’t matter they are all Bastards.

5. steve29 says:

Watching pens game they seem to be in the tank without Crosby

• Strummer says:

Yeah- it isn’t like he’s the best player in the world!

What is their problem?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

6. habstrinifan says:

What’s the latest on Plekanec. I heard Bourque will play beginning next week.

If Plekanec plays or NOT.. shouldnt Galchenyuk still be left as a centre.

I think everything that can be done to increase scoring capability for the playoffs should start being put into place NOW.. and Galechenyuk at centre does that I think.

7. JaggerHope says:

Are CBC really showing tommorows game nationally over the Leafs game??? Any answers appreciated buds!

8. jols101 says:

Suddenly, with the arrival of Kristo, Hudon, Vail and possibly Collberg, I am interested again in the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Does anyone know if any of the remaining games will be televised. If not, does anyone have a good link for the games. Thanks.

9. Michael Ryder is showing top brass he still has the ability to score. How much is he worth is going to be a tough one?

If David Desharnais got a 4 yr contract worth 14 million. How much will Ryder get if signed by Habs management?

10. Ice Storm says:

Just had a thought that Drewiske should have taken #40…
    A 40 of Whiskey on D to help us settle things down…
    I thought he was pretty steady, won some good battles last night… Will just get better I think

• gumper says:

I think he should take #50, as, I think, no Hab has ever worn that number.

The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
      Mark Twain

11. frontenac1 says:

@Ian. Sorry amigo.You are right.I forgot the rugrats sometimes creep in here. I will save the salty language for later.What’s up with the Bulls?

12. HabFab says:

Audio interview with Kristo prior to his pro start tonight;

• Stevie.Ray says:

Bad interviewer. Can tell she has a list of questions written down and she is just reading them off one by one, not even listening to his answers. But it’s funny to hear someone ask Kristo about the infamous frost bite incident. To paraphrase, he was walking in the middle of the night, in minus 40 degree weather, across a golf course, when he lost his shoe and couldn’t find it because it was so dark. And no follow up question like “why?”. lol

13. frontenac1 says:

Im starting to like the new lad,Wiske. He’s quietly taking care of business.Some nice stability back there.

14. Mavid says:

and the Sens fans still sniveling over Yashin…common I think after 18 years you should be over it

15. jimmy shaker says:

I’m sure this is going to cause the majority to come unravelled here but here we go….Budaj should start/deserves to start tomorrow vs the cubs but MT will go with Price anyway. Yes Price is the number 1, and yes Price will be the starter in the playoffs. I’m just talking about tomorrow night’s game!

Shaker out!

• Timo says:

I second that. Budaj in = win.

• Sportfan says:

I think Budaj should play tomorrow night and I like Price haha

• MattZ says:

I agree with you that Budaj has been great this season, but there are so few games left before the playoffs and this Boston game will be playoff atmosphere. That is why I think Price should start. If there were 25 games remaining then I agree with you that Budaj should start tomorrow. Well that’s my opinion and you don’t have to agree.
      Cheers!

• johnnylarue says:

Guys, if you want Price to at least stand a chance of “rising above” in the playoffs, he’s gonna need to play some high-profile, high pressure games, a la vs. Boston on Saturday night. For first place in the division.

This is exactly the element of Price’s game that needs the most honing, and we’ll live and die by CP in the playoffs, so…

• jimmy shaker says:

He’s had those high profile games this year already. Boston for first place, Pittsburgh to close the gap on first overall…etc etc. Budaj has the cubs number for some reason, so keep it going is all I’m saying….remember last week?

Shaker

• christophor says:

It’s not thinking Budaj should start tomorrow that’s the problem. The problem is people coming on this site only after there’s a loss where Price was in net, along with really bad analysis of Price’s game.

I’m sure there are intelligible reasons for thinking Budaj should go tomorrow, I just am likely to disagree with you.

• jimmy shaker says:

Not blaming the philly game on price…usually in a game you might give up a goal on a lucky bounce but to get 4 crazy bounces go in for one team that is a huge improbability. Price deserved better. Budaj has done the job this year primarily so give him the crease and let his stats do the talking is all I’m saying.

Shaker

16. Marc10 says:

I’m on holiday for the next week and just wanted to be sure to get my comment in before the Boston game. As any good bi-polar Hab fan, I’ll hedge…

If we win, I’ll go with: ‘omagawdomagawdonagawd!!! We’re in their heads! Plan the parade! This team is awesome! DD rocks! Eat haters!’

If we lose:
    ‘I knew we should had some size and grit by shipping some kids at the deadline! We’re never going to win!! Waaa! Waaa! Fricken promises of winning long term… It’s all BS! (Whimper, whimper, complain, complain…)’

There you go. All set homies! Enjoy the game:)