Habs given day off after win over Lightning

The Canadiens, coming off a 3-2 win over the Tampa Bay Lightning Thursday night, were given the day off Friday by coach Michel Therrien to rest up for Saturday’s game against Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Thursday’s win ended a three-game losing streak for the Canadiens, while the Capitals saw their eight-game winning streak come to an end with a 3-1 loss to the Senators in Ottawa Thursday night. The Capitals’ loss also ended a streak of eight straight road games with at least one point.

After a slow start to the season, Ovechkin now leads the NHL with 28 goals (one more than Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos) and ranked fourth in the NHL scoring race with 48 points heading into Friday’s games.

Canadiens goalie Carey Price made 32 saves to pick up the win against the Lightning after being pulled in his previous two starts.

“Carey Price was an enormous factor in this game,” coach Michel Therrien said. “I’m satisfied and proud of Carey Price tonight. He bounced back with the key saves. He was lucky at times, but you need some luck, you need some breaks to win hockey games. You need breaks and you need calls at the right time and we got that tonight.”

Saturday will be the Canadiens’ final home game of the regular season before they go on a three-game road trip next week to wrap up the schedule with stops in New Jersey on Tuesday, Winnipeg on Thursday and Toronto on Saturday.

(Photo by Paul Chiasson/The Canadian Press)

Canadiens edge Lightning 3-2, by Pat Hickey

Isles roll over Leafs, Toronto Sun

Maple Leafs: what went wrong this week? Toronto Star

Did Leafs get kiss of death from Don Cherry? by Stu Cowan

1. Danno says:

New thread…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

2. Lineup changes for tonights game that I would like to see? Just throwing this out there?

Pacioretty – Pekanec – Gionta

Bourque – Eller/Prust – Ryder

Galchenyuk – Prust/Eller – Gallagher

Moen – Halpern – Armstrong/Dumont

Desharnais sits and watches from the press box. Hopefully DD could find his game by observing what’s required to make his line better? DD needs to play hard & not be soft.

If Prust isn’t 100%, rest is the best thing right now before heading into playoffs. A healthy Prust is a must!!!

Markov should get a couple games (Njd & Wpg) rest as well & play him against the Leafs for the final game of season.

Go Habs Go!!!!

3. Bill says:

Jordan Subban is listed at 5’9″, 170 lbs. Granted that he isn’t quite done growing, but it’s hard to imagine someone smaller than me being able to play defence in the NHL. Hockey skills aside, lol.

• Storman says:

Great skater, size is a big question mark, seen him more with the Marlboros in Midget AAA, but just a note as a 16 year old with Belleville he was much more impressive than PK at that age, that said at this point a year later tough one to judge,, From my straw polls he can go as high as a late first round pick or he can even drop into the 3rd round,,ps +9 with 2 goals & 3 points in 10 OHL playoffs games so far this year..

4. Have not been on the past couple of days and missed the Habs lasted game. I went to my youngest son’s safe Grad last night and their school theme this year was young, strong & free for 2013. This was my last Graduation for my family as a whole. I have a future Grandson to grad in 11 years as the next in family who is a die hard Habs fan by the way as is my youngest Son. Da Wife, Daughter, Son in-law & oldest Son are Leafs Fans. Where all together when Habs- Leafs play and its unbelievable!!! Few beers and plenty of chicken wings makes for an interesting night. They have the upper hand on wins but as I say our Habs are in the playoffs and Your team isn’t right now! Great win the Da Boys the other night.

Go Habs Go!!!!

5. ed says:

I would match up Subban against Ovechkin every shift.

6. fastfreddy says:

Has anyone seen Jordan Subban play? Is he like PK? Worth a 2nd round pick?

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

7. Storman says:

Very dangerous game when you stop going all in to win games, that is a weak attitude that can permeate longer than you intended, not like just switching on and off a switch, at this level you cant shut it down, you have to play all out, especially going into playoffs, you can rest players mid season, but not last week before playoffs just does not work that way at this level, you will get stomped in first couple of games in first round if you take that relaxing attitude prior to playoffs. So in no way do you take your foot off the pedal in any way,, it actually leads to a better chance of injuries as well…Manage TOI is an option, but with high intensity, building towards a little rest right as season ends,,and priming it for the start of 2nd season..

Shane and Hobie,
    Ya fellas, if we meet the Bruins in the play-offs, before the game, I want to see great big Teddy Bear Hugs at center ice!

I can almost see Chara and Patches now! Hugging and Licking each others face!

9. Lafleurguy says:

Cool topic Shane brought up that of mental rest/fatigue (Mavid, your topic is cool too, and if Dunboyne is still around…..Billy Robinson versus Abdullah the Butcher!). Think back when number 8 was considered the team MVP, and at the time, he was key in sparking great energy play when aligned with the two surprising rookies. But then the injury and weariness, the greater portion being mental set in.

The team is not performing the same as the one that lost 7-6, and 1-0 to the Penguins, and the one that had Gally take the feed off Seidenberg’s face, Aaron Johnson getting a late penalty by hitting a foul ball, Markov credited with the goal on Chara’s tip-in with 8.2 left, Budaj playing like Fort Knox, and then the sixth shootout shooter, little eleven sparking celebrations that led to 2550+ posts in one HIO thread. Anyway this current squad has lost a lot of the competitive drive of the earlier team, and resting mental parts may be key to becoming a betting favorite again. Right now, against any of the potential playoff opponents, the betting odds for the Habs would be even at best.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Guy. Many problems to address in these last few games. Would love to rest Markov a bit though. I am worried but I always worry.

• Lafleurguy says:

We’re on the same wavelength, good buddy For the first game of the playoffs, ideally, every player should have the physical and mental drive of the first game of the season (which we lost 2-1), but of course, a lot of the guys are nursing injuries.

“May you live in interesting times.”

So the question of the day is should Montreal sprint all out to the finish line to try and win the division or should they rest some of their players for the post season playoffs? Candidates would include Pleks, Markov, Bouillon and Prust.

Boston plays 6 games in 9 days. One of those games will be decided by 4pm today. Finishing 2nd means Montreal would dodge the Pittsburgh match-up in the second record. Ironically, it would probably mean playing Boston in the 2nd round.

It’s impossible to predict match-ups and there are usually a few upsets in the first round. So it really comes down to having home ice advantage for an extra series versus having a well rested core of veterans.

• Lafleurguy says:

“We” (the Habs) match up best with the Leafs (actually the Bruins, but not a first round possibility), so fourth place is not a bad outcome, unless Ottawa gets into fifth. Islanders, and the new Rangers would be tough for the Habs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ed says:

I would try and finish 2nd, try and win every game.

But why not try and play Markov and Plekanec less minutes in each game?

• fastfreddy says:

I don’t think it will matter if Habs have home ice advantage, I think it will be more important to be 100% healthy.

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

• habstrinifan says:

I dont care, nor think it important, if we sprint to the finish line or rest players. What I think is very important is that the coaches get a real handle on the team. Who contributes what where? Specialty teams? 5-ON-5 offensive drive/consistency. In essence getting the team ready for whatever is thrown at them in the playoffs.

I am beginning to get worried about the mish-mash line combinations (not all were due to injuries) and the total carelessness on defense.

• I suppose you should take the easier route. BUT….

If I were coach, my speech would be like this.

Here it guys. No one and I mean NO ONE saw this coming. Every single team on this planet is looking at #2 and saying how did they do it?
      Well I’ll tell you. Every single one of you played this season with pride, honor and respect as player, and as a Canadien. Every single one of you went on that sheet of ice and supported each other like brothers! Every single one of you played the game, EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU PLAYED THE GAME THE WAY IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE PLAYED!
      You faced adversity on the ice and defeated it, you faced adversity in the media and you defeated it. YOU ARE WARRIORS!
      We have four games left. You can take it easy and we cruse into the playoffs, or we can play like it’s the last four games of our lives, it doesn’t matter, we are here, and they are down there.
      I’ll see you on the ice! Let’s go!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Habfan10912 says:

Teams riding a hot streak have fared the best recently in the playoffs. We gave not played well in several games now. Need to get that straightened out. Much work left to do.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I wouldn’t sprint but I wouldn’t let up either. Play normally.

It would be very desirable to finish 2nd for two reasons.

1. Whichever team finishes 7th it would probably be a team that has slumped in the last week. Whoever gets hot of the Isles, Rangers and Sens in the next week will finish 5th and 6th. So a 2nd place finish gets us a slumping opponent. The Leafs for example.

2. In round two we would avoid not just the Pens but we might also get the Caps, who will be more beatable than whoever wind the 4th vs 5th matchup.

Some great reading and videos of the CHL Junior, championship games last night. Many scouts, including the Hab’s top scouts in the building to watch last night. Draft is coming up!!

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks Ian! I have a feeling Malcolm Subban is gonna make watching the Bruins even harder to take in the near future. Hadnt made up my mind re Jordan Subban yet.. but kinda getting close tot hinking Habs gotta find a way to get him. I mean we have so many picks.

Edit: If somehow the B’s grab Jordan I am gonna blow a fuse.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Tough to say this, but after everything that went on in Boston this past week my dislike for their sports teams, fans and the city in general is not quite what it used to be. I used to hope every fan in either the Garden, Fenway, and wherever the Patriots play, went home a loser. Now, as long as they’re not playing the Habs or Jays, I wish them well. I know what happened this week is much more important than sports but that’s my take.

• Most of us feel the same way. It will go away after the first loss to them :)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Hobie Hansen says:

YA I was going to say that. I think as soon as Lucic or Ference sends a Hab face first into the boards and the fans are celebrating ans spilling beer allover themselves, my mood could change. Again, that’s just the sports word though ;-).

• habstrinifan says:

I agree!

I have no guilty pangs hating the Bruins or the Leafs, especially this close to playoffs. Where’s my warpaint!

• Cal says:

I have empathy for the city of Boston. I still very much hate the Bruins, from their bleephead owner to management to their (excuses filled)coaching and their players.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

Sports is just entertainment. I know lots of great Bruins fans, and I love the city of Boston.
      If I wanted to think all Bruins fans were louts and we aren’t, one reading of HIO after a loss would cure that. Hate the Bruins players? You might as well hate villainous wrestlers. Change the scriptwriter and they turn into Michael Ryder.
      You go to Boston and take a walk along the deck in front of the New England Aquarium, and how could you dislike such a place? Nice people, the Dropkick Murphys and the ocean – I like Boston. I have no idea how these idiot bombers were able to generate so much hate inside themselves, but such is the world.

• Bill says:

Why am I not having any problem still detesting the Bruins, Red Sox, Celtics, all their fans, and the city of Boston in general?

My sympathy goes to the families of the victims, especially of that poor little boy, but of all the victims.

I still don’t like Boston or the way the people act.

Full Breezer 4 Life

13. Caesar says:

not sure what I did but I replied instead of posted

I hope they sit Prust so he can heal for the playoffs. I’m not sure how far we can go without him. Especially if we end up playing TO BOS or NYR

14. Mavid says:

2 day pre natal care courses, car seat installer experts that provide certificates..Dula’s, midwife’s…strollers that cost more that cars I owned…what the hell happened to just going to the hospital, getting froze and popping them out..

15. habstrinifan says:

Was trying to escape the full-coverage Boston news (not disinterested..just had enough once the guy was apprehended and also didnt like the news media exploitation of the ‘relatives’)… anyways found an episode of Canadian Pickers.

And who should be on. Henri (the pocket) Richard. He still had that resolute glare and determination. Sadly, he did look as if he was moving with some discomfort. Also on was Rejean Houle.

Imagine 11 Stanley Cups eh. For freakin sake… 11! Easy to say that he played with great teams. And he did! But I always believed that despite never really being the ‘star’ on those teams he was 100% integral in making sure they had the attitude to ‘NOT LOSE’.

I know some are gonna hate this remark. How I wish I could see a HABS captain like Henri Richard again. With all the attributes. Great player(if not superstar comparably speaking). Great will to win. No nonsense pride in the culture of the team and revulsion at the thought of it ever being inferior. And YES.. French! Sorry but I think that part is important..and I can’t really explain why in a few words. Let’s just say I think Henri didnt revel in being French to the exclusion of the English (like a separatist for instance) but was always determined to wear his heritage with daring singularity in a, then, still very English world.

• Cal says:

The Pocket Rocket was one hell of a clutch player. Hated it when he dumped on head coach MacNeil in the 71 playoffs, but Richard wasn’t playing with his customary fire and looked old and slow. Of course, Richard bagged the winner that year and MacNeil (being the first head coach in Montreal to be affected by the language thing thanks to Richard speaking in frustration to the media) went to Halifax after that season.

16. Habfan10912 says:

Armstrong and Diaz return tonight? If so I suppose Dumont and Weber sit. Would be great to give Markov a night off but the 2 points are too important right now.

• chanchilla says:

would much rather have drewiske sit than markov.

• Clay says:

Agreed. Weber needs to stay in as well.

__________________________
        ☞ Think about little things that are happening. In your mind, just visualize little things, and it’ll help you create the mood that you’re looking for. There we go …” ☜ ~ Bob Ross

• chanchilla says:

yeah, that’s what i meant, i didn’t really make it clear, i think he is hands down infinitely better than drewiske. There is a reason he only played like 12 games the last 3 years or whatever.

• showey47 says:

So the habs should dress markov,diaz,weber,gorges and boullion tonight?

• I would love for Markov to play 10 minutes tonight but you just know that won’t happen.

Just like playing Budaj the other night, at least that gave Price some mental rest, even though he put him in there anyway.

I suppose there was no need to destroy the backup’s beautiful stats and his confidence too.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Caesar says:

• I like Prust, he plays well with the young guns, but that’s about it for me. If he flew around intimidating the crap out of everyone I suppose I would be more impressed but to me he’s just another player on the roster.

I know I say this a lot about Whitie, but if he was more disciplined and brought his junior scoring touch to the NHL, he would be the perfect RAT! Every team needs one, but Montreal traded all theirs :lol:

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures

17. habstrinifan says:

As I understood it on the radio, both WSH and HABS played on Thursday. WSH practised at Brossard on Friday(from what I think I heard on the radio) and HABS rested.

If so curious difference.

• Danno says:

Caps were idle on Wednesday but Habs played on both Wednesday and Thursday. Therrien decided to rest the team.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• 24 Cups says:

Washington has one of the easiest schedules in the NHL as they finish the year with three consecutive weeks of Tues/Thurs/Sat games.

Montreal is playing four games this week and just came off back-to-back games.

• habstrinifan says:

Ok! Guess I ‘ll have to abide by the opinion that the rest was warranted! I don’t think it was deserved nor, considering the recent weeks, beneficial. There was no need to have a ‘full skate’ but with Therrien lamenting the lack of opportunity to show the boys some corrections and ideas that he says he has brewing on his mind, I would be feeling better if they had just stretched their legs and gone over a few things.

Who knows… guess we’ll find out tonight.

Based on this morning’s standings Montreal would have the 35th, 36th and 71st picks in the draft along with their own original picks.

• Clay says:

So also the 30th pick then :D

__________________________

• Lafleurguy says:

Hope your optimism is shared by alot of the other posters. (@Clay)

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

I was trying to channel Bob Ross there…visualizing.

__________________________

19. besthabschick says:

My new job has me sitting beside an ex-Radio Canada sports announcer, and you know what he tells me every day? You win as a team and you loose as a team. He’s a Hawks fan. He has no expectations, therefore he’s always happy. No goalie or player wins these games. Go Habs Go! All the way from Vancouver (2 yrs here…its warm ok?)
    I love every fan, player, and cup ever :) Canadiens and Habitants for life
    Ktgirl

20. Dunboyne Mike says:

Well good morning from 5 hours ahead.
    Ridiculous. Staying up late like that, talking about wrestling. I hope one of you remembered to put out the cat and turn off the porch light. I’ve left a pot of porridge on the cooker. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile, if it hasn’t been flagged already, nice piece on the 2 Gallys and their Dads at nhl.com.

Anyone planning on watching the Caps game?

• Clay says:

Good morning from 7 hours ahead of you…evening, actually :)
      Great story – thanks for the link.
      __________________________

Do you people get an impression that Stubbs has a thing for Wolf Blitzer?

22. Sportfan says:

@Steeltown Not sure if you’re here but if you are how was the DOgs game/how were the prospects? If not I’ll ask tomorrow.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. JohnBellyful says:

He probably wouldn’t visit (www.buy2me.us)

24. Mattyleg says:

…and to add to the rasslin’ talk, my faves were Hacksaw Jim Duggan, and of course…

The Bushwackers.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

25. Mattyleg says:

Hey guys,

Hard to believe that so many people misunderstood my post about home-ice advantage.

I posted that home ice advantage offers a maximum of EIGHT MORE GAMES at home, IF all series go to seven games. (capitals not included in orginal post – perhaps I should have)

And I was responded to with these perplexing posts:

Caesar
    April 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    It’s 16 home games if they have home ice advantage all the way through to the cup final with 4 game 7s.

krob1000
    April 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm
    you beat me to it…not to mention that in a season there is normally 41 home games without playoffs, given the lockout and the loss of 17 home games during the season a long run could easily make up for things for some lucky owners.

krob1000
    April 19, 2013 at 3:37 pm
    How is there only 8 games at home is you win the cup?
    You could have 4 at home in every series if you are assuming 7 games.

DDO_Habs_Fan
    April 19, 2013 at 3:42 pm
    Makes no sense…how can anyone predict accurately how many games they are going to play each round?

***

So I guess the moral is: Read more carefully.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• FormalWare says:

Eight more than What, Matty? If a team is #1 seed, they can play max 16 home games. If a team is #16 seed, they can play max 12 home games. Isn’t that a difference of just 4?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• Mattyleg says:

Eight more games than the minimum of eight.

I’m saying that the maximum difference between the fewest games possible and the most games possible is eight.

My argument being that the revenue generated from eight games is not going to have the finance department banging down the door of the coach’s office to demand that he finish at the top.

That’s all.

Perhaps it wasn’t as clear as I’d imagined.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• JohnBellyful says:

To be clear, if the Habs swept all four series, the least number of home games they’d play is eight
          If all series went seven games, with no home ice advantage, Habs would play 12 home games; with home ice advantage, 16.
          So, to the original point, how important is finishing at the top? You’re right, the consideration shouldn’t be financial, but it does come down to how much the team believes playing on home ice is to its advantage; if the team honestly believes it doesn’t matter much, then it should be resting several players in the remaining games or severely reducing their TOI to have them refreshed for the playoffs.

• 24 Cups says:

I think it was Mike Boone who stated a home ice playoff game is worth an extra 2M in revenue. That might not be the end of the world to teams such as Montreal, Toronto and New York but it means a lot to most NHL franchises. Eight million could play the salary of a guy such as Perry or Parise.

As for the Habs, I think it’s imperative that they give Pleks and Markov a few games off during the next nine days. At least consider sitting them down for the laff game next Saturday which would give them a five day hiatus.

• JohnBellyful says:

Doesn’t home ice advantage confer a maximum of FOUR MORE home games than they would otherwise have?
      Suppose all four rounds went seven games and the Canadiens didn’t have home ice advantage, they would then play three games at home each series, for a total of 12 games, whereas if they did have home ice advantage, they would play 16 games at home, therefore four more games at home.
      It’s late, so I could be wrong …

• Mattyleg says:

I tried to clarify it above, but if you’re comparing finishing at the top to finishing at the bottom, then yes, that’s correct.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habilis says:

Not to add to the confusion, but wouldn’t home ice advantage offer a maximum of 4 more home games?

If you finish 8th and play 7 games in all 4 rounds, you will have played 12 home games.

If you finish 1st overall and play 7 games in all 4 rounds, you will have played 16 home games.

Edit: OK, I see the above reply. I type slow ;)

• Old Bald Bird says:

If the team were to win four series in four games each, it would play 8 games at home. If it started at home and every series went the max, the team would play 16 games at home, for a difference of 8 games and possibly 16 million dollars.

26. Bill says:

It’s been a weird night Timo.

Last couple dozen posts… Bill, Danno… WTF are you guys talking about?

28. habsfan1001 says:

Though I detest the Bruins with every fabric of my body, I must say I am rejoicing with the Boston people that these terrorists are dead or captured. This is not about hockey, this is about human dessiny an d our way of live. I have to cheer the city of Boston and the police. That shows anybody trys this they will not get away with it.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

For Dave Stubbs, and really for everyone, if you ever had any doubt that Wolf Blitzer is a dundering idiot, all you have to do is watch him in action on “Celebrity Jeopardy”. How a national news anchor can be so ignorant is frightening.

I watched this one when it first came out, and he was so bad it almost felt like a Saturday Night Live-Will Ferrell version of Jeopardy.

———————————————————————–

30. Un Canadien errant says:

Look this is getting ridiculous, some people are going way out of bounds with the gratuitous attacks.

First, there may have been instances when the Honky Tonk Man had to resort to using his guitar as a defensive tool, when faced with crooked refs, greedy promoters, or jealous opponents who’d stop at nothing to usurp his throne. Video evidence may actually exist of these instances, but this should in no way be used as a reason to tarnish the great legacy of a legendary champion.

Second, some on this forum have attacked his physique, which is really a low blow. Honky Tonk was always about the wrestling, the beauty of the sport, not shallow details such as how he looked in his trunks. Sure, he brought the showmanship and could play to the crowds, but in a clean, sporting way. He never stooped to the level of the wrestlers who eventually killed the sport, the Macho Mans and the Hulk Hogans and the Effeminate Warriors, and used performance enhancing drugs for cosmetic reasons. The Honky Tonk Man was burly but limber, he’d just slick back his hair and oil up and go, and was unstoppable, that’s what he should be judged on.

Third, the fact that he’s still wrestling today is proof enough of his love of the sport. Why else would he still be in the squared circle? He could have done like those buffoons like Hulk Hogan and retire and live off the avails of his fortune, while trying to add to it by Kardashianizing his daughter(s), but no, he bravely soldiers on, bringing entertainment and joy to kids everywhere, who must be fascinated at the sight of a real, true champion, whose successors are but a pale imitation of.

———————————————————————–

• Clay says:

I like your old avatar much better – and I’m a lifelong Broncos fan.

__________________________

31. Marc10 says:

Ricky Steamboat (before he became Ricky ‘The Dragon’ Steamboat)… There was an entertainer who brought it!

I recall a ridiculous tag team match with Tito Santana against Greg ‘The Hammer’ Valentine and Brutus ‘The Barber’ Beefcake.

Tito held on against The Hammer’s Figure-4 Leg Lock and Ricky managed to get to the top rope turnbuckle and flew up ‘a la Randy Savage’ to save Tito with a flying elbow… The fight finished with the good guys punching the baddies all the way to the locker room.

Quality.

32. fastfreddy says:

MT should shake up the lines for Sat. game. Team looked tired and sloppy vs Tampa.
    How about:
    Gallagher, Eller, Galchenyuk
    Patches, Pleks, Gionta
    Prust, DD, Ryder
    Bourque, Dumont Moen

CH = Les Glorieux!!!

33. JohnBellyful says:

Gorgeous George. Billy Red Lyons. Two-Toed Pete Labrash (okay, that last one was made up).
    Edit: Who was it with the Sleeper hold?

34. Bill says:

Craig Anderson = Caillou

Full Breezer 4 Life

35. Danno says:

Eddie “the Brain” Creatchman and Hercules Ayala

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

36. Whatever says:

Jimmy ‘Superfly’ Snuka

That is all.

37. Sportfan says:

8-4 Rangers WOW

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

38. Bill says:

There will never be another Mick Foley. Great wrestler and author of the best books ever written about wrestling.

Full Breezer 4 Life

39. B says:

Anyone know how long Tim Bozon is out? Any chance he plays tonight (or soon)?

Edit: Tonight’s game just started and Bozon is playing.

–Go Habs Go!–

40. Chuck says:

Blu3chip, what makes you think that they aren’t the bombers?

• Bill says:

How would any of us know? Most likely they are involved, I ASSUME, but obviously none of us are privy to the details of the evidence.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• blu3chip says:

I have only seen the video of the brothers walking on a street with backpacks and baseball caps, doesn’t seem to suggest much.

I asked ‘why is the police convinced’, not ‘I don’t think they are the bombers’.

41. fastfreddy says:

The Ultimate Warrior!!!!!!!!!
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

42. melski says:

The Fabulous Moolah!!!

43. Small_Town_Boy says:

The Rock. “The most electrifying man in sports entertainment”!

Dat’s wha me tinks

44. Old Bald Bird says:

I’m late to the party, but I don’t think anyone mentioned Bulldog Brower.

45. Clay says:

Erik Karlsson close to returning. Good news for the Sens, bad news for their playoff opponents.
    __________________________

• Bill says:

9 weeks after a lacerated achilles … never seen the like. Either he’s superhuman, or he’s taking big chance … or maybe it was a much smaller laceration than was reported. Paging Dr. Recchi!!

Full Breezer 4 Life

46. frontenac1 says:

2-1 Preds vs Hawks in 1st.

47. The Cat says:

How wrestling became fake….In the early 1900s it was legit, it was the biggest ticket in town, people went to see the wrestling at MSG, and the champion was considered the best athlete in the world. But a day came where the champion was so dominant, that interest dropped considerably, as people didnt want to spend their hard earned money on seeing the same result. And so that champion (I forget his name) and the challenger agreed to fix the result in order to regenerate interest.

48. frontenac1 says:

Gilles “The Fish”Poisson! The crowd would chant poisson,Poisson! And he would freak out and lose it in the ring.Classic!

49. Boomer says:

Boston bomber suspect caught… alive. Hope he’s put in General population in prison so he can be passed around for cigarettes.

And the Beat goes on…NO MORE QUESTIONS!!

• Habilis says:

They should let Chara conduct the guy’s initial interview. In his full gear.

Dude would confess. Quickly.

• blu3chip says:

Why is the police so convinced that the Tsarnaev brothers were the bombers?

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

The apparent evidence?

• blu3chip says:

CNN only showed the pictures of the suspects and a video of them walking down a street in the past hours.

I assumed there is apparent evidence, given the accusation from the media. Show me what I’m missing?

• Mark C says:

So that fact that those two attacked and killed a cop and then used IED’s, one of which was the same type of bomb that was used on Monday, isn’t compelling evidence for you?

• blu3chip says:

I have heard about the MIT shooting which involved the bigger brother, didn’t know about the explosives.

I’m not defending the suspects, I’m merely asking for possible info which I may have missed. No need to get hostile.

• Mark C says:

Not getting hostile, but this is the biggest news story in the world. Use Google and learn what happened.

• blu3chip says:

Not as easy as you would think.

Read through several articles on BBC and CNN, lots of background stories about the brothers, lots of progress report about the manhunt, little about why they tagged those two in the first place.

Was expecting some straight forward replies with info that I missed… guess that’s too much to ask for

• Lokee says:

The backpacks where black that blew up and one of the brothers was wearing a white one? The story the FBI are telling does not make sense.

Interesting little bit of info

If you look at the real history of the US you will find many instances the attacks that happen on US soil is actually the US Government.

50. Clay says:

Ugghh! Wrestling talk? The lowest (legal) form of entertainment, designed to amuse the lowest common denominator. Nothing but a homo-erotic (not that there’s anything wrong with that) ‘roid fest.

__________________________

• Bill says:

I enjoy it, good fun to watch with my kid. But I never said I wasn’t the lowest common denominator, I could very well be, haha.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Clay says:

I would honestly rather go to a ballet. And I hate ballet.

__________________________

• Bill says:

Ballet is another thing I like! Man, you are hard to please.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Clay says:

I love music festivals though.

__________________________

• Psycho29 says:

I was front row at the live Raw at the Bell Centre back in September. Had a great time, and my “OUI ! OUI ! OUI !” sign made it on TV.
        My buddy yelled “Ariba Ariba Muchacho” at Del Rio’s manager; who turned around and told him to “F-Off”(off camera)…
        It was a great time except for Jerry Lawler suffering a legitimate heart attack….

51. Un Canadien errant says:

I guess the scariest, dirtiest wrestler ever was Michel ‘Justice’ Dubois. He’d enter the ring in a judge’s robe and sometimes a wig, all majestic, and then in the ring was ruthless. He’d remove his garments and accoutrements before the fight and hand them over to a cornerman (or more frequently his manager, Eddie ‘The Brain’ Creatchman), but you could always make out a strange lump in his sock. Sadly, while I could pick this out on my grainy black and white TV set as a six-year-old, the ref was always fooled, somehow.

Michel Dubois would go for the eyes, the groin, nothing was off limits. The ref was always strangely ineffectual, warning him to stop, but never actually making it stop, it was the weirdest thing, I’ve never seen anything like it aside from when NHL refs ‘officiate’ a game involving the Bruins.

Monseigneur Dubois’ classic move was to be in the process of gouging out the eyes of a poor, helpless Rougeau or Gauthier or Carpentier, and the ref would be yammering at him, probably saying “Look, you’re not supposed to do that, you really have to stop gouging his eye out for minutes at a time, I’ve already asked you eight times, if I have to ask you a few more times I may have to take action…” At this point Michel Dubois would let go for a second, throw his arms in the air and tilt his head to the sky, and bellow “JUSTICE!” And then immediately resume gouging the eye, or the fishhook, or whatever he’d been doing before.

———————————————————————–

• The Cat says:

En prison, en prison en prison! Ah Creatchman, the old scrapyard dealer turner wrestling manager, what a great character.

• showey47 says:

Made the mistake of watching wrestling with my 3 year old daughter. Now when i’m lying on the floor doing doing some stretches she comes flying off the couch on me vintage macho man randy savage.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good move, starting her out young. Imagine how proud you’ll be when she’s one of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling.

Just remember to wear a cup until she grows out of the flying elbow drop phase.

• Clay says:

My (now 4 year old) daughter did the same, but has never seen wrestling. I think it’s in the DNA.

__________________________

52. Habilis says:

“The Boston Globe ‏@BostonGlobe
    Hours of searching end @ 8:45 p.m. after Tsarnaev is found hiding under tarp in a boat parked in the backyard of a Franklin Street home.”

They took him alive. What an unbelievable effort across that entire city. Well done, Boston.

53. Strummer says:

Does RDS have a crew at the Ranger/Sabre game or are they calling it from a studio monitor?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• JF says:

From a studio monitor. They were scheduled to show Boston-Pittsburgh. But I think most, if not all, their non-Habs games are from studio monitors except during the playoffs.

54. Un Canadien errant says:

You guys are nuts. You’re throwing names around and no mention of the most dominating Intercontinental Champion ever, the Honky Tonk Man. The champ only had to most devastating finishing move ever seen in wrestling, the lethal Shake, Rattle and Roll, and had the longest tenure of any title holder.

It was a travesty how he was robbed of his belt by the most undeserving ‘champion’ ever, the ‘roided up Ultimate Warrior. Oh, you’ve got shredded pecs because of diuretics, and scary makeup on? Let’s cheat a classy and universally beloved champion of his title and just hand it to you.

What a sham. That’s The Day That Wrestling Died.

• Boomer says:

The Bushwackers FTW
      and Macho man randy savage with his insane rants lol
      Macho madness skies the limit YEAH!!! hahaha

And the beat goes on…NO MORE QUESTIONS!!!

• ZepFan2 says:

Meh… the Undertaker rules! :evil:

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• Sportfan says:

HULKAMANIA!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Cat says:

Good one…Ill never forget Abdullah the Butcher. Had the Palais des Sports in Sherbrooke legitimately frightened as he went in the crowd blinded by his blood and taking swipes with his fork He has to be the greatest heel ever. So efficient at drawing big crowds and so in demand, Abdullah always could do things in his terms and never had to be tied down to any one promotion -a rare thing for a wrestler.

• showey47 says:

The honky tonk man ruled. The shake,rattle and roll was awesome. Then he would play on tune on your skull with his guitar.

• Big Buffy Boat Club says:

No word of a flipping lie I met Honky last weekend. He was wrestling at a dive bar down the street from me in Winnipeg. One of the strangest physiques I’ve ever seen. Like a greasy python choking on a goat. Still sings, though his material’s a bit homophobic.

No shake rattle and roll.

———————————————————————————-
      “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

55. blu3chip says:

4 goals on 14 shots against Miller.

Then 2 goals on 4 shots against his backup Enroth.

Not a great week for goalies

56. commandant says:

Have we ever seen anything like this before?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

Anyone else watching this fantastic hockey? or are you enjoying the cops and bombers show!

End of the 1st period. Subban playing well in goal. 1 power play goal for Barrie for a 1 nothing score after 1.
    1st game in the finals.

Two other players in this game on sports net, connected to the HAB’s.

Son of Shane Corson and the Son of Claude Lemeuix are playing.

GREAT HOCKEY GAME
    On sportsnet national the conference finals in the OHL just started.

The two Subban brothers and the Belleville Bulls against the Barrie Colts, coached by Dale Howerchuck.
    1–,0 Barrie. 8 min mark!

60. Strummer says:

2nd Boston suspect down on the street

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

61. Sportfan says:

Wish Montreal had a TD comfort zone

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

62. Sportfan says:

LOL this photo is funny http://www.laughload.com/hockey-8k24yzhj.html I also thought of the amount of people who will say “too bad the habs don’t do that”

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Mavid says:

that would be wonderful..I would have got a few penalties today and spent a fair amount of time in the box, but it would have been so worth it..

63. Danno says:

We all know about the Rocket and the Pocket Rocket.
    But do you know about the Vest-Pocket Rocket?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

64. frontenac1 says:

The Baron! Oh yeah! He was great. Nazi Bad guy!

65. bwoar says:

Classic Rasslin’ and no mention of Baron von Raschke??

THE CLAW!!!

“thoroughbred”

66. frontenac1 says:

Ah yeah! How could I forget Killer! Saludos amigo!

67. frontenac1 says:

And it all started with Yukon Eric ,Rasslin up North. Got his year bit off in ring. His life ended tragically in NYC. Fascinating fellow though.

68. habsfan80 says:

Max-plex-Ryder
    Gio-DD-rene
    Gally-eller-gally
    Prust-halpern-armstrong
    Yes moen scratched

Markov-diaz
    Subban-georges
    DD-Frankie
    Weber-kaberlea

Discuss

69. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigo! I forgot about Gino Brito and Dino Bravo ! They were fast eh?

70. frontenac1 says:

Saw the fist Steel Cage match at the Gardens back in the 80″s. Big John Stud and the Junk Yard Dog vs. The Giant Jean Ferrer and Lou Panterra. There was over a Ton of Weight in the ring! Magic!

71. Habitant in Surrey says:

…rivetting how Boston authorities shut down such a large important city as Boston

…I was up the whole night, half sleeping, one eye opening somehow, involuntarily, to watch live the key events of the search for Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev …it’s still not over

…reminding me of a much younger man that experienced watching Walter Cronkite sleeplessly chronicling the assassination and post-assassination events of JFK

…the most ominous and frightening part of the profile of the younger boy still hiding from authorities is that his perceived nature and personality before these events could be that of any of Our Sons and/or the young neighbour next door

…really, at this moment, hockey and even the travails of My Habs seem so trivial

72. Habilis says:

So we have to watch the Rangers play the Sabres tonight because two moron brothers decided to attack unarmed civilians at a sporting event.

“Why don’t you go live in the mountains somewhere, stop bothering people.” – Don Rickles in Dirty Work

They should have listened.