Habs get day off Sunday after ‘best game’ of the season

The Canadiens were given the day off Sunday after a thrilling 2-1 overtime victory over the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

“That was our best game — so far,” defenceman Andrei Markov, who scored both goals for the Canadiens, told reporters after the game, suggesting that this team can be even better.

“That’s our game,” he added. “If you play like that every time, success is going to be on your side.”

Coach Michel Therrien was thrilled with his team’s performance after a disappointing loss in Philadelphia in the previous game.

“There was nothing we could do about the last game except to learn from it,” said Therrien, who was criticized by many for benching P.K. Subban during the 3-1 loss to the Flyers. “Alexei Emelin was good, Marky was fantastic but, to be honest, everyone played a good game. Everyone. That’s why I’m so proud of my team.”

The Canadiens will practise at 11 a.m. Monday in Brossard as they prepare to face the New Jersey Devils Tuesday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

After the game against the Devils, the Canadiens will play their next four games on the road, visiting the Ottawa Senators on Thursday, the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday, the Pittsburgh Penguins next Wednesday and the Detroit Red Wings next Friday.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

Playoff feel at Bell Centre as Habs beat Blackhawks, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

‘Just close your eyes and shoot,’ Markov says, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Hysteria is the norm for Habs fans, by Jack Todd

Habs winning big, Canadiens.com

Habs vs. Blackhawks photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Devils’ Brodeur mulling his future, NHL.com

1. Thomas Le Fan says:

Please! No more bringing back ex-players or ex-coaches. They’ve had their CHance.
    This team showed the other night they can win against anyone if they put their collective minds and might together. I firmly believe that the Therrorist is not the man to get these guys to play that way on a regular basis. Let’s face it, at this level, that’s the coaching staffs’ role. Get professional players, who all know their roles (could that be part of the problem?) to perform at their best as often as humanly possible.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

2. Habfan17 says:

Great article, maybe why Bergevin has not traded for Kane!

Habfan17

• CJ says:

Bergevin isn’t stupid. Firstly, I don’t think he wishes to part with any blue chip prospect unless the return is significant. Neither Kane nor Buff would be that significant piece.

• Kooch7800 says:

Spector will not make any friends in the Jets organization with that article. The reason why the Jets are struggling is they dont’ have the horses to be successful. I don’t doubt that Kane does some stupid immature things but he is only 22 and is still a heck of a power forward. He will get better as he matures.

Big Buff on the other hand….I think he is trying to play his way out of the Peg.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

3. SteverenO says:

Over coaching?

In my opinion a the impact of a coach on a team’s success, or failure,is usually over- rated.

Probably a coach’s decisions will make a difference of 3 to 5 wins or losses over the course of a season.

Some coaches, in my opinion, have an inflated sense of just how important their decisions (line combos’s etc.) actually make in th eresult of the game:

Here:s an example:

The Habs best (most productive) line at even strength this season has been Briere/Plekanec/ Gionta. The team has scored 8 goals in the 98 minutes of even strength play when this trio has been on the ice.
    ( average One Goal per 12 minutes)

For comparison’s sake: the line of Pacioretty/Desharnais/Gallagher have been on together, as a unit for 260 minutes, and the team has scored 12 goals, an average of one goal every 21 minutes.

What I find interesting is that while on the icem the line of 48/14/21 have only allowed one GA in the 98 minutes they have played together , and therefore as a unit they are (+/-) plus 7. The line of 67/51/11 have been on for 10 goals against and therefore are a combined (+/-) of plus 2 .

Now let’s look at the line of Moen/Plekanec/ Gionta,Thi strio has played 71 minutes together at Even Strenth and have scored, and allowed a total of one goal.

So when MT “replaces” Briere with Moen on the line with Plekanec and Gionta, He is breaking a part a line that scores every 12 minutes and has only allowed one GA in 98 minutes, to ice a line that scores once every 71 minutes and has also allowed only one goal ( in 71 minutes) .

Considering the team , as a whole, only scores one ES goal every 28 minutes, is it really helpful to have Moen replace Briere thereby breaking apart our most prolific line ( that has been excellent defensively) ,to create an equally good defensive line that does not score?

regards,

Steve O.

• Mattyleg says:

Hmm, I don’t think they necessarily have an overinflated sense of their importance (nothing backs that up), but couldn’t you equally argue that the coach has put together the effective lines as much as the ineffective ones?

And also, changing line compositions aren’t just about maximising statistics, but also about shaking people up, giving them a change of air, sending messages, etc?

I know your stats can’t cover that sort of thing, but those are probably more important factors than the ones you cite, in my opinion.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Gerry H says:

That IS a somewhat eye-opening analysis, but it leaves out a critical dimension. Moen is typically put on the ice with 14/21 when they have a critical checking assignment, as was the case Saturday night against the Toews line. It is impossible to know precisely what would have happened with 48 in place of 32 in that situation, but I think we can all guess that there would have been a greater risk of that game having ended with more than the one GA we saw.

In view of that, I don’t see it as OVER-coaching. It’s just coaching.

4. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Tokarski’s numbers in Hamilton are pretty solid. I can’t help but think we robbed TB in that trade. Not that he’s going to be a #1 guy in the NHL for sure or anything, but he’s definitely got a better shot than Desjardins, IMO

Hamilton Bulldogs wrap up from the Hamilton Spectator.

Team is playing much better of late.

6. Say Ash says:

Anybody got a clip of Emelin smearing out Kane?

7. Plekasuares says:

TFC paying and awful lot for MLS allotment. Defoe is a great player even though I really dislike the spurs.

• Strummer says:

MLSE with Rogers and Bell on board spending like drunken sailors (my apologies to the brave members of our naval armed forces).

TSN and Sporsnet need content for their TV platforms and having a winner sells more tickets and advertising dollars.
      This Tim Leiweke dude is no slouch in spending other peoples’ money- remember LA Galaxy and David Bekham?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

8. SteverenO says:

The flip sside here,s thje defensive breakdown:

Forwards;

Markov: 27 MPGA
    Bouillon: 23 MPGA
    Murray: 21 MPGA
    Emelin: 20 MPGA

Extras:

Tinordi: 30 MPGA
    Beaulieu: > 47 MPGA **** (O GA in 47 Minutes ES TOI)
    Leblanc: > 57 MPGA **** ( O GA in 57 Minutes ES TOI)

regards,

Steve O.

Rumours continue that St. Louis wants to get Ryan Miller from Buffalo.

10. naweed235 says:

There is an article on RDS written by F. Gagnon that reveals a lot about M.B’s intentions based on an exclusive interview. He won’t sell the farm to make a splash in the trade market (this one we already knew). The second more interesting thing, is that he seems to want to resign Gionta as long as he accepts a reduced role and a significant pay cut (maybe for $2.5M per).

11. Old Bald Bird says:

Ah, the extremes of HIO wrt MT. One group sees no right, and the other sees no wrong. It’s hard for me to praise him too much after one good game in 1.5 months, but that’s just me. OTOH I have never called for him to be boiled in his own pudding.

12. Bripro says:

“A Pregnant Woman Hit Her Stomach with a Hammer to Prove That Her Baby Was Tough.”
    Why is this link even posted below the videos?
    I realize that some posters might have an off-day, but who’s really that dumb?
    It’s not hockey-related…. it’s not even on the IQ scale.
    I hope they arrested her. Idiot!

13. Strummer says:

Just watched the presser by MLSE to intrduce Jermain Defoe and Michael Bradley.
    Defoe metioned looking for new challenges. Going from BPL to MLS a challenge?
    Like going from NHL to ECHL.
    How about the $8.3 million per year Jermain?
    Bradley too never mentioned his $7 million per year being a reason why he chose Totonto FC.

MLSE just spent $80 million on 1 over the hill and 1 in his prime player.

MONEY TO BURN at MLSE!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

The Defoe move is indeed puzzling, but I wonder what the details are in the transfer agreement. When Beckham first came to the L.A. Galaxy didn’t he go back to Europe for important games? Will Defoe have a similar arrangement?

Great moves on paper for the Toronto F.C. no doubt, but a huge cost as well. Yes they do seem to have money to burn.

Now how will this help the team that makes almost all the money for MLSE, the Leafs?

• Bripro says:

So, the MLSE is running the FC in the same fashion as the Leafs are run, it would seem.

It is hard to argue with the recent moves, De Rosario returning to the club, Bradley and Defoe joining are excellent moves. The previous years of never making the playoffs despite having perhaps the best ticket gate in the entire MLSE was very Leaf Like.

But the primary cog in the MLSE corporation is the ACC (concerts etc.), Leafs and Condo’s, not the soccer or basketball teams.

• Bripro says:

Condo’s?

MLSE built a bunch of condominiums on the property surrounding ACC a few years back, big big bucks. Not unlike what the Habs are going to do, only MLSE built more of them, and included the REAL Sports bar in the building. Hate to say it, but very well done and huge money maker.

• Strummer says:

Actually the Habs are getting into condo’s and other real estate development if I’m not mistaken.

______________________________________________________
            “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Strummer says:

Leiweke spoke of “partnerships” with Tot’num and Roma. Defoe will stay with Spurs until the MLS season starts.
        As wellTFC and Roma will train players jointly- some here some in Rome in their partnership.

Both teams will play Friendlies here.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

14. SteverenO says:

Just how bad (unproductive) has Rene Bourque been this year?

At even strength the Habs as a team score on average one even strength goal every 28 minutes of even strength Ice time.

When Bourque has been on the ice the Habs have scored an average of one Even strength goal every 50 minutes:

When Bourque IS NOT on the ice the team has averaged one even strength goal every 24 minutes.

here’s the rest of the tea’ numbers:

Even Strength MPGF (minutes of ES TOI per GF)

Forwards;

Pacioretty: 23 MPGF
    Gallagher: 23 MPGF
    Plekanec: 24 MPGF
    Briere: 24 MPGF
    Gionta: 27 MPGF
    Bournival: 27 MPGF
    TEAM AVERAGE: 27 MPGF (EVEN STRENGTH)
    Eller: 28 MPGF

Gorges: 27 MPGF
    TEAM AVERAGE: 27 MPGF
    Diaz: 37 MPGF
    Bouillon: 37 MPGF
    Emelin: 37 MPGF
    Murray: 72 MPGF

With Murray NOT ON the ice the team scores an average of one ES goal every 24.5 minutes.

EXTRAS:
    Beaulieu: 23 MPGF
    Leblanc: 29 MPGF
    Tinordi: 30 MPGF
    Blunden; 37 MPGF

regards,

Steve O.

• mrhabby says:

If iam MB i would be seriously look at dealing him lol… He has been just horrible.Maybe its the players on his line that have been shifted around but something has to give there.

• shiram says:

I think at this point it’s either getting an awful contract back, or maybe even just waivers.

If Montreal score a goal on the first shift for Parros next game he jumps to the top of the heap with 1 goal every 20 minutes (given he has played 39 minutes all season).

He would then become our greatest statistical 5 on 5 player.

I look forward to this, or at least hope it happens.

15. DipsyDoodler says:

To those who claim that Max P is “streaky”, do you have an actual mathematical formula for streakiness (like marbling for beef – you know: prime, AA, AAA etc …)? Or at any rate some sort of notion of what you mean by it? Or is it just some shite you heard once and are repeating?

What does streaky mean? Doesn’t score every game?

• DipsyDoodler says:

And while you’re at it: Downton Abbey. Who the hell watches that cr*p?

• Bripro says:

According to my wife, streaky means putting the mouldings down when there are no other repairs left.
      The way I see it? It’s a “Meh” job, which really isn’t a priority.
      I’m promised a wonderful meal (seeing that I’m usually the one to cook), so that’s the incentive. Sometimes it tickles my fancy, sometimes it doesn’t.
      I guess multi-million dollar incentives aren’t always enough, and he might decide to mail it in.
      And I’m just offering some second-hand gossip here.
      I’ve heard that Max can act like a bit of a prima-donna more often than not. Maybe he’s just a temperamental individual who’s hard to handle, and needs a bag of skittles to get him going.

• shiram says:

Does not score for 20 games, then next 20 games scores 20 goals = streaky.

16. Bripro says:

I remember the Cube’s first go-around with the Habs.
    Any player gambling to go deep behind the Habs’ net would pay the price.
    Bouillon sure could level a player, of any size.
    Is he the same player he was. No chance. But does he still have the same size heart. I would venture to say yes.
    Diaz… now there’s a conundrum. He was so good coming home after last year’s strike was over.
    Then his D wingman Emelin went down, and neither have been the same since. That is until Saturday night for no. 74, who pounded the bajeebers out of anyone trying to get by. The Emelin of early last year.
    But I find that many are critical of Diaz. This kid is not a hitter, never was, never will be. Smart with the puck? Absolutely.
    It seems to me that this year, it’s a question of confidence. But you can tell that he’s slowly getting it back. He played as good a game on saturday as he’s played in a long time.
    He wasn’t afraid of shooting (which is a pleasant change), and he forced turnovers at the Hawks’ blue line, which he hadn’t done in a while.
    He might not be the best in the league, for certain, but the team could do far worse.
    Our D is almost fully tuned-up. Once that happens, and Gally returns, the team might just go on another prolonged winning streak.
    Even with the coach that Timo doesn’t care for.

• frontenac1 says:

Agree Brian. Being paired with Murray is helping his confidence imo. He is the furthest thing from being physical but he has talent. What got me frustrated was watching him rush his passes to avoid a hit, which either resulted in a suicide pass or turnover. He is improving with this now, but can’t see him here next season.

• Bripro says:

I think he learned his lesson when he left Eller out to hang last year.
        And I think they will in fact re-sign him.
        There are just no bigger, more talented Ds in the UFA market to chose from. Not without a gamble, anyhow.

• Mattyleg says:

And a huge overpayment, if previous UFAs are anything to go by…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

I think before he is re-signed we will see some callups in order to see if any of Beaulieu/Tinordi/Pateryn are ready.

If indeed any 1 or 2 of these guys are ready, it changes who is signed.

• frontenac1 says:

Don’t you think Marc will start rotating some of the Kids into the line up next year? I can see Murray back with a one year contract at about $1.5 mill. Cube gone and Tinordi,Pateryn, and Nate called up on rotation. Maybe even Drewski the Brewski. Diaz is an offensive Dman,but with few points. Unless his numbers improve, I think he is gone.

Great minds thinking alike eh Front? Or pickled minds perhaps! :)

• Timo says:

Maybe he will fly back home to Switzerland after the olympics. One can hope.

• Bripro says:

Drewiski, although a head-scratcher from the get-go, is on the cheap. And he’s signed through next year (although, without wishing him ill-will, I hope he sits in the rafters next year as well) so he’s not going anywhere.
            As for the D in the Hamilton, from the little I’ve read, they all seem to have regressed this year. Was it because they had expected to stay in the show? Perhaps. But if they’re not ready for the NHL, MB will have to keep Diaz or find a better deal.

• frontenac1 says:

Scary thought amigo! Hey, I’m thinking of parlaying my filthy lucre from yesterday onto the 49ers plus the points.

• Bripro says:

Safer bet would be the Pats.
            Besides, I don’t think anyone made the spread.

New Orleans played the Seahawks pretty tough compared to the previous meeting. I realize Seattle is almost unbeatable at home, but I like your thinking on taking the Niners with the points.

• Bripro says:

You know guys… I have to admit, I’d almost take for Manning and the Broncos, if it weren’t for who they’re playing against.

• frontenac1 says:

I’m staying away from the Pats game Brian. That one should be a great game to watch but when I see the over/under north of 50, and the 6.5 spread starting to narrow,I bail! Saludos!

17. sweetmad says:

Reading through the posts,again I see people asking if our small guys can last an 82 game schedule,I have written this before,the best long distance runners in the world are all small guys,the sprinters are the big guys,the big guys don’t have the stamina for extended races,it’s all about stamina,not strength,football players I mean real football (don’t forget I’m English)are not great big guys,they are built for stamina,they need it running around a football pitch for 90 minutes.You just have to look at the older guys in the league most of them are the smaller guys,except Chara of course,he’s a freak of nature.

I find it amazing,that this doesn’t occur to more of my friends on here,you are a very intelligent lot(most)but,stamina is something I never see mentioned,but it’s what it takes to get through a long season,then the playoffs brute strength won’t do it.Many people say on here that Pleks dies in the playoffs,but it’s not true his job just changes,then he is always a shut down guy, last saturday he did everything,that wasn’t brute stregth that was stamina,after the the playoffs he went to play in the worlds,he plays tennis for recreation not golf.

Yes it’s great to have big guys,but they soon get winded,if you can have both strength and stamina your laughing,thats what we have on this team,who plays the hardest Gally Pleks Gio,the little guys,take Selanne Saku StLouis some of the oldest and they are still going strong.

The fastest runner in the world is Bolt,at 6’4″ they say he shouldn’t be able to run like he does,but the guys who run the long distance,are almost always little guys,you very rarely see big guys winning marathons,they are slight,there are always exceptions to any rule,but 99% of the time stamina wins out over strength when it comes to extended periods of workout.
    GO HABS GO

• Cal says:

The season is a marathon, but the game forwards play is sprints. Oh, and those marathon runners don’t get body-checked a few times as they’re running in every race they enter.

18. habsguru says:

Parros played the perfect role against Hawks, few minutes, no fights (though probably stopped a few), plus 1 (- witheld), and was a hell of a screen on Marky’s first.

19. Mattyleg says:

John Lu Tweets the lines in practice:

Moen – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Desharnais – Gallagher
    Brière – Eller – Bourque
    Bournival – Prust – Parros

Gorges – Subban
    Markov – Emelin
    Murray – Bouillon
    Diaz
    —Hope Springs Eternal—

20. mrhabby says:

Iam not getting to excited about the win against the Hawks who we hardly ever play. Habs will be playing against bigger skilled teams who always give this team fits with respect to match ups. Coming soon will be Ottawa, Leafs, Bruins. Ottawa and Leafs this week…

21. Gerry H says:

As awesome as the win Saturday night was and all the well deserved praise that it earned Markov, Plekanec, Price, the Coach, the most encouraging take-away for me was the play of Emelin. Out of nowhere, the 2012/13 edition of Emelin reappeared in all its glory. Big hits (not just against Kane, though that was lovely), confident with the puck, solid communication with Markov, even some offensive pressure at the right moments.

I think a big part of getting the Habs transition game going again (and, with it, scoring) is having our top four providing a solid foundation in puck recovery, gaining control and setting up the zone exit. For that to happen consistently, we need a balanced and able top four. Emelin has been the missing piece up until now. If he finally has his confidence back – and I think the big hits are very suggestive of that – they could be about to find a new gear.

• Timo says:

I like Parros’ one timer from his knee. Speaking of one timers… Habs don’t one time enough. They miss at least half a dozen chances every game because they hold on to a puck too long instead of just whooosh! You know, kinda like MAB use to.

Ah yes. This is the kind of headline I want to see every day. Phew.

• Bripro says:

“….ça fait quoi, dix ans, que le Canadien change de coach aux deux ans. Ça a donné quoi comme résultat? ”
      There you have it!

• Timo says:

Yes, but of all these coaches only one was really a good coach – Julien. The rest sucked/still suck.

• Bripro says:

Carbonneau was pretty good, but him and Kovy just couldn’t see eye to eye. If you recall, he lost the Jack Adams trophy to Bruce Boudreau.
          And Gainey showed such class in letting him go with less than 20 games left the following year.

And you and I will never agree on MT, it would seem.
          He can be an exercise in frustration, but the team could do far worse.

• Timo says:

I know, Brian… on the flip side the team can be far better too. And Therrien is not the only party to blame.

• Bripro says:

Do you seriously think that, given the limited talent on this Habs team, that they could do that much better? I don’t.
            Let’s face it. They’re not the Hawks (not normally, anyhow), they’re not the Penguins and they’re not the Kings or the Blues.
            But they played like they were on saturday.
            Who do you give credit to for that?

• Timo says:

I seriously think so that because most of the games Habs lost was not becuase they didn’t have the skill but because they simply haven’t showed up for it. Throw in a couple of games where Therrien just plain messed up line assignments or some such.

• shiram says:

A conference series against the Flyers and Galchenyuk, if we are being positive.

23. myron.selby says:

Regarding Eric Cole coming back – I don’t know whether there were problems in the room or not (I got the feeling there might be, but nobody ever really knows that stuff who isn’t actually there). But based on his play last year I wouldn’t take him back if he played for free.

It was uncanny the way he went from having his best season in 11/12 to last year. That first season he was the best forward on the team by a fair margin. He raised the whole team by his relentless drive and absolute refusal to give up on the play.

Last year he was completely disinterested. I don’t think he threw a check, he quit driving the net and he back-checked about as hard as Cammalleri before he was traded. I don’t know what caused it, but my hunch is that he basically got so upset over the lockout stuff that he kind of quit in his head.

And given that he hasn’t done much more for Dallas (21 pts in 45 games and -10) I wouldn’t want him back.

Something strange I noticed, is that I thought Prust (last year’s big free agent signing) brought some of the same qualities as Cole. He didn’t score as much, but his drive, speed and persistence really brought the team up. This year he’s been pretty much a non-factor.

The causes are different – Cole’s problem was mental whereas I think Prust’s body just can’t take it anymore – but the result is the same. Sign a free agent, get one great year then nada. One and done. Like I said, weird.

• Mattyleg says:

I believe that Cole figured that the season was done, and didn’t do any training, which meant that he was waaaay outta shape at the beginning of the season.

That’s kind of crappy, but I can understand it from a vet, who has a family, etc. Not that it’s excuseable, but just that it’s a bit easier to understand.

I don’t think that he was the only vet (who didn’t play overseas) who had trouble playing again after being off, but his lack of conditioning certainly stuck out like a sore thumb, especially compared to guys like Pleks, who had played in Czech.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• myron.selby says:

He just looked completely disinterested to me. It wasn’t that he was running out of gas, but rather he never took it out of neutral. He didn’t even try. He seriously reminded me of Cammy when he was obviously playing to be traded.

Cole stopped back-checking completely (he never even tried to pick up his check) and he didn’t go to the net at all.

If it was a conditioning problem then you would have expected a bounce-back this year and it sure doesn’t seem to be happening.

It’s too bad because I loved him that first year. Not only was he playing great but you could tell he was having a blast. Last year he looked glum every time the camera picked him up.

• fisher85 says:

I would love Cole to come back, long as we don’t have to give up anyone who is part of the plan….

fisher85

24. frontenac1 says:

Blimey! Bit of a cock up last night in Nottingham vs Coventry game in England!

25. Kooch7800 says:

Cammy apparently has another concussion. He isn’t travelling with the flames to California. Hope he gets better soon for himself and so Calgary can get something for him at the trade deadline.

I think this is his 2nd or 3rd concussion

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

26. shiram says:

Ottawa SenatorsVerified account ‏@Senators

News Release: #Sens extend the contract of GM Bryan Murray and appoint him President of Hockey Operations

• Kooch7800 says:

He is a good GM. He built the Ducks cup winning team and hasn’t done a bad job in Ottawa either. Ottawa’s biggest mistake was letting Chara go and well…Redden. If they still had Chara when they went on that cup run I bet they would have won

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

They messed up Alfredsson in the last off season also.

• Mattyleg says:

Hindsight is 20/20.
        Chara was seen as a much more one-dimensional player when they traded him.
        Big, fighty, no mobility.
        Which is why they kept Redden, because he was seen as being more mobile, and more of a complete player.
        I dunno if Chara was at the right developmental stage when they went on that run.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Chara wasn’t traded. CHara left because Muckler effed over his best friend on the team Hossa. Signed Hossa to contract and traded him 2 days later for Heatley. Ottawa then had to come up with PR spin doctoring giving the appearance that they chose to re-sign Redden over Chara. All the while Chiarelli had recently gotten to Boston from Ottawa, knew the background and made a great signing in Chara.

Nothing to do with development of Chara or them choosing not to re-sign him.

• Mattyleg says:

Huh!
            That’s interesting; didn’t know that.
            Cheers!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Murray’s nephew is a buddy of mine and has told me some pretty neat stories. I still am waiting for the “Real Story” on Alfie.

• habsguru says:

and I recall that Chara was appointed as captain before even playing a game for Boston

• Timo says:

I am still waiting for Carbonneau’s truth to come out.

• Chris says:

The Senators in those years were notorious for yanking around their top players. As much as he is reviled, there are similar stories surround Alexei Yashin’s interactions with the Senators’ managment. The players often take the fall, as the team has a bigger PR machine. In Yashin’s case, he and his family were also somewhat inept when it came to PR, so he got clobbered in the court of public opinion.

27. shiram says:

Make a wish foundation kid throws Steve Ott out of the ceremonial face off.

28. bwoar says:

Hamrlik >>>> Cole

Respect !

“thoroughbred”

A link to a Buffalo blogger, but some interesting comments regarding various topics, including Ted Nolan referencing the Grigorenko situation and how good it was for PK to play 4 full years in Junior.

30. Mattyleg says:

Morning Everyone!

Whadda game on Saturday.
    My gawd.
    More like that, and you never know what can happen.

Awesome to see the team respond to what the coaching staff was selling, and put the Philly game behind them with such vehemence.

Glad to have PK-gate: Part III (or is it V? VI? I can’t keep count…) behind us, and looking positive for the future.

Shame that there couldn’t have been two second stars, because Plekanec deserved that one as much as Crawford.

Should be a very interesting week, as Burly says. Can’t wait.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hobie Hansen says:

Big game against Ottawa on Thursday. Ottawa is no Chicago but they know how to play the Habs. The Sens will be physical and try to get the Habs off their game plan as they always do.

Ottawa falls into that category of big and tough teams that the Habs can struggle against.

I have a few bets around the office on the game already so I hope the Habs find an answer this time!

They definitely seem to have a blueprint for how to play us. They have become our nemesis in our division.

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, an annoying nemesis, because they seem to want to beat the Habs more than we want to beat them.

A bit like a few years back when the only decent games Toronto would play during the season were against the Habs, and we didn’t really care!

I wonder what it is, though. I don’t know if I agree with Hobie that it’s their size that does it… There has to be more than that…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• GL says:

Hobie you mentioned the main word PHYSICAL Talent The Habs can Play with any team in the League. They proved it Saturday . If you want to Have a chance at beating the Habs. Play tough and Physical and your chances a very good.

• Timo says:

I hate senators more than I hate the leafs. I can’t believe Habs always struggle (to put it mildly) against them.

• Habsrule1 says:

I thought Plek deserved a star over Price. Price was good but didn’t need to be great. Plekanec was a man possessed. If not for Markov’s goals, I would have given Pleks 1st star.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, it was awesome to watch.

My fave was when he went behind the net in overtime (or was it on the PK..?) and fought through three Hawks, and still came out the other side with the puck and got a shot off!

He’s amazing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

They both played well. Price made key saves when needed but I agree Pleks played the best hockey I have seen him play in the offensive zone in a long time. He was just a beast out there

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

31. Sportfan says:

There are some reports saying the Seahawks game possibly cause an earth quake! I’m sure that would happen in montreal if you had the Habs playing in a big stadium.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

32. WVHabsfan says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Cole back as a Hab

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure if you saw my question or if this is random, but I was wondering if Cole would be a smart move.

Would Bergevin do it? I like to think the coaching staff could get a lot out of him…and I’m not sure if the rumour about him being a problem in the dressing room was true. He did mention retiring, but I didn’t think that was all that big a deal…was said out of frustration.

Go Habs Go!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I doubt they’d ever bring him back. Something big happened behind the scenes that caused the Habs to trade him. My guess is that he bitched and moaned about the CBA then refused to buy into what the Habs were preaching.

• Cal says:

I would have expected that “Puck Bettman” crap to come from a younger, more inexperienced player. Seeing it coming from a vet like that was disappointing. Watching Cole him suck s**t every shift last year after that was an insult to the fans.
          Glad he’s gone. Let him end his career in Dallas after spending most of his career in non-hockey markets.

• bwoar says:

Hell yes, exactly. I don’t want “leaders” on the team who sit on their rich butts and play immature games when the sport is on hold and the fans are twisting in the wind. Erik Cole’s massive sense of entitlement wouldn’t fit into the dressing room and I’m glad it’s gone. I hope he enjoys his last years somewhere far, far from this team.

“thoroughbred”

• habsguru says:

most indication around the time suggested there was a rift in the room, but mostly that he wanted his family to live in the USA, him included.

• frontenac1 says:

Cole,Ryder.Both these guys gave up and screwed the pooch when we needed them.

• ari says:

Cole>ryder>briere

33. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Sportfan

Habs played great and have proven they can skate with any team in the NHL when allowed and given the opportunity to do so… which is rare.

No doubt the Habs play better when there is little physicality.

The Hawks recorded only 11 hits – 6 of those 11 hits were by Bickel and Seabrook, meaning that the 16 other players had only 5 hits combined on the Habs the entire game…and it wasn’t because the Hawks had control of the puck all night as they usually do.

If other teams want a blueprint on how NOT to play the Habs, the Hawks provided that last Saturday.

34. habsguru says:

very little to complain about against the Hawks, didn’t even log in on Sunday. what a weekend!!! 2 points for the CH, my boy won his soccer game, and tied his hockey game, lots of good NFL!!! the light at the end of the tunnel says, the CH ARE a good team. they didn’t steal that game, they won a damn good hockey game, against a damn good team. need MOAR

• Sportfan says:

The Seahawk vs. Saints game was amazing, with probably the weirdest ending. It isn’t often the ref ends the game in the playoffs, because of a forward pass!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I hate the Seahawks fans. Football should allow offences to all wear headsets and mics to reduce the effects of crowd noise on an offence. It amounts to unsportsmanlike conduct in the only game where vocal communication is absolutely necessary. In any other sport crowd noise only enthuses the home team. That should be enough of a home field advantage.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

35. wjc says:

THIS AND THAT!

I notice very little praise going to Therien.

The Canadiens are being built slowly and have been built by Gainey, Gautier and Bergevin.

Gainey took the heat for the Price draft for years.

Gautier stocked up on draft choices and took the fall after a bad finish, that netted Gallchenyuk.

Yzerman gets to rest his 38 year old sniper for the playoff run.

Therien gets very little credit for the good stuff that happens.

And ‘yes’ Ian’ speed matter alot, until you run out of ice, then it becomes an issue.

Parros and Murray’s mere presence cuts down on liberities being taken on Price etc.

The strategy against a small team will always hit them and wear them down. Just makes sense, if you were a coach would you not look for weaknessess.

wjc

• Habsrule1 says:

Praise for Therrien? You’re on the wrong site, wjc.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mattyleg says:

I took the coach’s side in l’Affaire PK (part 1,000,000) and got pounded into the ground – even by people I like – so for the most part, I’m going to keep my Therrien comments to myself from here on in, I think.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

You and me both Matty. Actually, I didn’t even really take his side…just thought it was blown up more than it should have been.

Oh well…water under the bridge now.

Go Habs Go!!

• JUST ME says:

I think that a positive outlook helps you see an individual on his best side and still be able to criticize when he should do better. Pessimistic people keep on being negative and brigning the past as proof of their hatred when they themselves would like to be forgiven for events from their own past !

There ain`t no perfect coach in the world but for me Therrien is the perfect guy for the job and his record speaks by itself. If some are not able to see it then they need to look at themselves seriously in the mirror.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

No love for the therrorist.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

36. Habsrule1 says:

Ok, dumb question (it’s my right to ask them):

How would you guys feel about bringing Cole back? Is that a really bad idea and would Bergevin even consider it for a second? Rumour has it he’s on the block.

Go Habs Go!!

Here is a very interesting read from Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal, having a conversation with Ray Shero and his search for a winger, and some trade talk discussion.

38. Sportfan says:

Well the way we played and beat the Hawks and Bruins so far this season it makes you wonder why we got rocked by the Kings and Blues. I mean the Hawks are the champs and have to deal with the Blues and Kings more than we have to. Sometimes bad games happen.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• C-Sword says:

‘Cause the Kings and Blues used their size to their advantage, it took a while before the Hawks started going in front of Price, they tried to play the skating game with the Habs and lost.

• wjc says:

Kings had an unknown hot, hot goaly. Halak was motivated and his team wanted it for him. If you recall Canadiens had numerous chances in the first period, just couldn’t score……mainly because of a hot, hot goaltender.

wjc

Pretty tough next 8 games in general for the Habs. Thankfully only one game is the backend of a back to back. Habs will get decent rest between these games.

40. knob says:

Great game Saturday night!! Type of hockey I like to see, even if the Habs had lost 3-1, I would have been satisfied. The style that they played on Saturday sure beats that dump, chase and grind game which is laughable with this roster.

Someone mentioned it Sunday morning that this team struggles against the more physical teams (LA, Stl, Phi, etc.). In my opinion, this is all the more reason to play that quick, up tempo game…play to OUR strengths, not the other teams.