Habs get day off in Boston before facing Bruins Monday night

Coming off one of their biggest victories of the season, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off Sunday in Boston as they prepare to face the Bruins Monday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Rene Bourque, who had been a healthy scratch for five straight games, scored a goal, added an assist and had a season-high six shots on net during Saturday’s 4-3 win over the Maple Leafs in Toronto.

“I think I got my message loud and clear,” Bourque told reporters after the game about being a healthy scratch for an extended period.

When asked what coach Michel Therrien might have said to him before the game, Bourque replied: “Shoot on the goal.”

Said Therrien after the game about Bourque: “He really responded well and this is what we were looking for. He went to the net, he made some plays and he was solid. I really liked the contribution from that line (with Daniel Brière and Brian Gionta).”

Lars Eller suffered what was described as a lower-body injury against the Leafs and Therrien said the forward is “day-to-day, I guess.”

The Canadiens have recalled Michael Bournival from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

After Monday’s game in Boston, the Canadiens return home to face the Buffalo Sabres Tuesday night at the Bell Centre. After that, they go back on the road for their next four games with games in Detroit Thursday and Florida Saturday, followed by stops the next week in Tampa Bay on Tuesday and Ottawa on Friday.

Canadiens hold on for win over Leafs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bourque at his best against Leafs, by Pat Hickey

Two big points, Canadiens.com

Leafs go from penthouse to doghouse, Toronto Star

Subban the new Alfie for Leafs fans, Toronto Sun

Bruins rally past Coyotes for 12th straight win, NHL.com

Jarome Iginla’s Boston ‘redemption’, Boston.com

1. RetroMikey says:

I tip my hat off for the Canadiens win in Toronto.
    A huge win and kudos to Therrien to motivate the players.
    Another Price Win.
    But, I look at the survey and still there is no way the Habs can beat the Bruins in a playoff series.
    Those Laffs are choking and I, for one am surprised they are sliding or choking as everyone would say.
    BIG IS BETTER!
    “We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

2. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hi !

…just droppin’ in for a momento

…for the mildly sadistic motive to provide an insight into the psyches (or, should that be the ‘pychosis’ ?) of Turdranna sports fans …from the horse’s mouth, itself …the one and the only (Pierre Karl Peladeau’s) Turdranna Sun

‘Toronto And The Art Of Losing’: http://www.torontosun.com/2014/03/23/taking-classes-on-torontos-losing-sports-teams

3. Sportfan says:

Oddly enough there is a new thread now O,o

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. Sportfan says:

Darn I don’t know what the real heart breaker is, the Leafs sucking or the fact I missed 1000 views by 32 haha :P I think I’ll celebrate with a 4 L pitcher at the Manoir tomorrow watching the Habs win! I hope

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. PrimeTime says:

Meltdown in Leaf Nation. Fans sound like a bunch of whiney HIO posters.

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

• Da Hema says:

Come now Prime Time. The quality of the whining here is vastly superior to that found in Leaf territory. We exceed them in every respect, including our bitching.

• Marc10 says:

What the hippo said.

• PrimeTime says:

Lol. True enough!

********************************************************

6. Sportfan says:

Habs to to end Boston winning streak I like the sound of that, it will be tough though in Boston those games get aggressive.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

7. habsfan0 says:

Habs are 18 points in arrears of Boston.
    That’s almost as big a deficit as the 24 point gulf that separated Montreal from Boston at the conclusion of the 1970-71 season.

Didn’t matter much in the playoffs that followed.

• Da Hema says:

I appreciate your optimism, but where’s our current Jean Beliveau, John Ferguson, Yvon Cournoyer, Pete Mahovlich, or Jacques Lemaire. I might add the Habs had J. C. Tremblay, Terry Harper, Serge Savard, and Guy Lapointe on defence. We have Bouillion, Weaver, and Murray.

People today have a tendency to greatly underestimate how good that 1970-71 Habs team actually was. I still admire your faith, but such a comparison — even if inferential — is quite dubious.

8. Strom Man says:

This stupid team and their idiotic coach MT keep winning!

I AM SO ANGRY !!!!!!!!!!!

9. Habfun says:

I feel bad for leaf fans if they don’t make it except for homer commentators like Glen Healy who is supposed to be unbiased but nearly cried when the leafs lost last night.

It’s all about the CH

10. doug19 says:

FIRE NONIS!!!

11. Un Canadien errant says:

Really nice ceremony for Henrik Sedin to celebrate his 1000th game in a Canuck uniform. He gets called “soft” a lot, but the man has only missed 18 games due to injury in his career.

I’m a little behind starting the game, so this may be terribly funny or ironic depending on what the score is currently (I’ll stop reading HIO to prevent spoilers), but with Daniel now back and Ryan Kesler, and their Top 4 defenceman, I can’t help but think that the worst of the storm is over, and they’ll finish off the season on a much better note, even if they miss the playoffs.

And before I finish typing and hit ‘Submit’, Tyler Ennis scores on Eddie Lack one minute in, on the first shot of the game. Ah well…