Habs get day off in Boston before facing Bruins Monday night

Coming off one of their biggest victories of the season, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off Sunday in Boston as they prepare to face the Bruins Monday night (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Rene Bourque, who had been a healthy scratch for five straight games, scored a goal, added an assist and had a season-high six shots on net during Saturday’s 4-3 win over the Maple Leafs in Toronto.

“I think I got my message loud and clear,” Bourque told reporters after the game about being a healthy scratch for an extended period.

When asked what coach Michel Therrien might have said to him before the game, Bourque replied: “Shoot on the goal.”

Said Therrien after the game about Bourque: “He really responded well and this is what we were looking for. He went to the net, he made some plays and he was solid. I really liked the contribution from that line (with Daniel Brière and Brian Gionta).”

Lars Eller suffered what was described as a lower-body injury against the Leafs and Therrien said the forward is “day-to-day, I guess.”

The Canadiens have recalled Michael Bournival from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

After Monday’s game in Boston, the Canadiens return home to face the Buffalo Sabres Tuesday night at the Bell Centre. After that, they go back on the road for their next four games with games in Detroit Thursday and Florida Saturday, followed by stops the next week in Tampa Bay on Tuesday and Ottawa on Friday.

Canadiens hold on for win over Leafs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Bourque at his best against Leafs, by Pat Hickey

Two big points, Canadiens.com

Leafs go from penthouse to doghouse, Toronto Star

Subban the new Alfie for Leafs fans, Toronto Sun

Bruins rally past Coyotes for 12th straight win, NHL.com

Jarome Iginla’s Boston ‘redemption’, Boston.com

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

If the NHL is going to continue rewarding losing teams with 1 point(OT & shootouts), I’d like to see a change in the scoring where the winning team gets 3 & loser gets 1.

2. Danno says:

The Falling Leafs…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Da Hema says:

No kidding. All the weeping and moaning and crying on TSN is…AWESOME! Ha ha ha. Maybe they’ll sign another Clarkson-type this upcoming summer.

3. Sportfan says:

Wow what will CBC talk about when the Leafs get eliminated? Also will Carlyle get fired?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

4. CJ says:

Not sure what’s worth more bit coin or Don Cherry’s iron clad guarantee that the Leafs will make it. He’s never wrong….

5. Danno says:

3-3 Wings & Wild as they go into overtime.

Loser point is guaranteed. So they are now even with the Leafs but with the tiebreaker the Wings are now ahead of the Made For Laughs in the standings

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

6. CJ says:

Wings pick up at least one point.

7. frontenac1 says:

Wings tie it up 3-3. 7min left.

8. Mr. Biter says:

Wild beating Wings 3-2. Wings only 12 shots on goal.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

9. Un Canadien errant says:

We rag on Mario Tremblay, and I hammer him sometimes too, but he did coach for a number of years with Jacques Lemaire in Minneapolis and New Jersey, and he does have some knowledge. Based on this experience, he’s said a few things on RDS which the Leafs should have taken heed of.

As concerns Mark Fraser, he said a couple seasons ago that the kid is tough as nails, he’ll take on absolutely anybody, anytime, but that he plain just can’t play. Whatever gains he offered through his toughness and pugilism, he said, you’d pay for three times over with goals scored against you.

As for David Clarckson, he repeated yesterday what he’d say last spring as free agency approached, that he’s a really good guy with lots of heart, but he’s lost on the ice, you have to point out to him where to go, where to stand, that he’s not a natural when it comes to hockey sense. Judging by that intel, and his results this season, it seems that the Leafs have bought themselves a really nice swish anchor to wear around their neck.

10. MannyR says:

Perfect weekend, Habs win and Leafs lose two.

11. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Minnesota has tied it against Detroit. Not sure who to cheer for in that game. One hand it’s nice to see Toronto drop below Detroit, on the other hand don’t want Detroit to get too close to the Habs in case we lose a couple.

12. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Is it just me or are women in sport just getting better and better looking? I don’t remember them looking like models. It is not just one sport anymore: tennis, golf, soccer even curling now. Not that I’m complaining…lol.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

You are absolutely correct, the skip for the Russian curling team (Sidorova?) is not too hard to look at.

• Adidess says:

It’s not just sports, it’s in every walk of life. The average woman on the streets used to look that (average), a decade to 15 years ago. Now, it seems like every single woman looks above-average, which essentially means we need to redefine average.

It’s probably the combination of better awareness of what good work-out habits, improved nutrition and care, healthy lifestyles can do for one’s body. Men are looking better physically too because of those same things, but we’re still far behind. Or maybe the human race is just perfecting itself naturally as a consequence of ongoing evolution, but I doubt it.

13. frontenac1 says:

3-2 Wild with 6min tp go in 3rd.

14. Laramy87 says:

Wild now up 3-2 on Detroit. Jackets lose today

15. Haberoooo13 says:

Leafs made it 3-2 with 2:56 left and Kadri gets a penalty with 59 seconds left…a nice touch!

Lafleur coming out rather gingerly…

16. frontenac1 says:

3-2 Devils final.

17. govenah says:

There gonna be some serious oinking and swhining in hog town.

The glass is MT.

18. Danno says:

Leafs fall to the Devils

3-2 New Jersey. Final

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• smiler2729 says:

LOL!!!!!

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• CJ says:

There’s Phil Kessel, then there’s everyone else on that roster. Terrible effort overall tonight. Not going to get any easier. Columbus tripped over themselves today and allowed Nabokov to steal a win, otherwise Toronto could be in a much worse position right now.

19. Adidess says:

TO in tough against the Devils, down 3-1 (4 minutes left). And they get the Blues next. Ouch!

20. Sportfan says:

@Stevie.Ray you’ll be around for some of the festivals jazz and comedy check both of them out like I said the bars, the fire works on saturday, and yeah the women too haha

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

21. Laramy87 says:

As a habs fan living in Toronto, I would definitely enjoy Toronto not making the playoffs. Turning on sports radio and here everyone discussing their losses just puts a smile on my face.

To rub salt on a wound..
    Clarkson – 4G
    Defoe – 3G

Oh an ps that Subban article in todays Toronto Sun is a very good read, i recommend it

• Sportfan says:

Haha must be funny to hear them mourn all the time when they lose

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• CH Marshall says:

Haha I was hoping for another first round meltdown. Think last night was a hard pill for them to swallow. IMO Carey was the difference

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah I live here too. I think it’s at the point where I enjoy the Laffs losing more than I do the Habs winning.

HNIC is especially sickening.

The only parade they have here every June is Pride.

_______________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam.
      Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
      The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

22. Marc10 says:

Looks like we broke the Leafs for good.

We’ll be playing Detroit twice as the schedule winds down. As much as I’d like the Wings in the playoffs (they are a nice team to watch), I’d prefer we crush their spirit by beating them both times with authority. If they could then squeak in ahead of TO, then it’s a all good.

23. frontenac1 says:

Good game by the Swiss. Tip of the Fedora.

24. frontenac1 says:

Swiss steal another 3 in 9th. 9-5 Swiss.

25. ffenliv says:

Sadly, this curling final has, for Canada, turned into a lesson in how not to handle pressure.

What a shame.

26. Mr. Biter says:

Habs could be only Canadian team in playoffs. Oh the wailing at CBC if that happens. BTW Kokrak was only 3 strokes off at the A.P. tourney and ended in 4th. Hope a Canadian breaks thru and wins one shortly.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

27. frontenac1 says:

Swiss steal 8th end. Up 6-5.

28. The Teacher says:

A pessimistic view of the rest of our schedule gives us 6 wins at best.

85+12 points gives us 97 points. I think that’s enough.

29. Grimmly says:

10 on that dive,

just wow, Kadri is great at diving

30. frontenac1 says:

Canada up 5-3 in the 8th end.Swiss with the hammer.

31. Hobie Hansen says:

If I had to answer honestly I’d have to say I do believe the Leafs will smarten up and get into the playoffs. They could even do some damage IMO. In saying that, I seriously hope I’m wrong and they keep losing and miss the playoffs.

We think our defence has problems, the Leafs defence stinks and their goaltending ain’t as good as ours either. So ya, please keep losing Toronto so we don’t have to put up with a love fest that will go on between TSN, CBC and the Leafs.

I’d love it if Ron McLean, Craig Simpson, Glen Healy, Darren Dreger and all the rest of the Leafs lovers on TV had to focus in on the Canadiens instead. I’d love it if Toronto and the rest Canada had the Habs as the main event in the playoffs, especially if they went a few rounds.

• Mattyleg says:

The Leafs D are the perfect example that bigger is not necessarily better.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m sorry but Carlyle is over-rated, especially given the standard MT is held to here. I know he won the Cup but he did it with one of the greatest D-pairings in the history of hockey. Carlyle is supposedly a defensive specialist but the Leafs have no structure.

32. JohnInTruro says:

Reimer finally pulled.

33. Mattyleg says:

David Clarkson 2012-13: New Jersey
    $2,666,667
    GP G A Pts +/- PIMs
    48 15 9 24 -6 78

David Clarkson 2013-14: Toronto
    $5,250,00
    GP G A Pts +/- PIMs
    50 4 6 10 -10 83

—Hope Springs Eternal—

34. Danno says:

Wings 2-0 over Wild after one period of play. The Wings are going to pass the Leafs in the standings tonight if they can keep the lead.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. Hobie Hansen says:

When things go bad for Toronto it’s the same feeling I get when we score against them. It’s a great feeling!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I am trying not to take too much joy in Toronto’s collapse, but that’s a hard thing to do.

• Habcouver says:

I hate the Laffs, but Reimer seems like a good kid who doesn’t deserve the shenanigans.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Adidess says:

That’s the thing. Toronto fans and media already have their perfect scapegoat for everything that is currently going wrong for them (though Reimer hasn’t been stellar, including last night; can’t say for tonight as I’m not watching). They’re singling out Reimer and will claim they missed the playoffs because Bernier went down.

Here’s the constant rebuttal you’ll hear: ‘What would have happened if Price went down for the Habs down the stretch’? Get ready for it.

36. punkster says:

Wow…Reimer.

Release the Subbang!!!

37. UKRAINIANhab says:

3-0

!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Habfan10912 says:

2-0 Devils

Edit: its now 3-0.

39. Caesar says:

@Hobie below.I would love to see Lucy vs Murray but I don’t think Julien would allow it. The Bs are in the playoffs and I doubt that they would take the chance.

I think Murray would win with a unanimous decision. Parros? not so much.I don’t think it would be an easy fight for either but one wrong hit and either of these guys could be gone for months.

40. duffy says:

Watching the game on Leafs TV ,reminds me a lot of HNIC !!!

41. Stevie.Ray says:

I’m moving to Montreal for a month this summer. What are the main things I should check out? Where can I get the best Poutine?

42. duffy says:

Milne comments about how Reimer has a good start to this game, Bingo 30 seconds later Devils score, HaHaHaHa.He should make more comments about his Laffs .

43. Thomas Le Fan says:

Okay, I guess I don’t get it. Even though I know it’s not possible, I truly expect my team to win every game and am disappointed when they lose. So? I don’t get why, so far, 258 “fans” expect Boston to beat us if we meet in the playoffs. Kind of sad. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, I don’t get it either.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Boston is the one team (with some exceptions this season) where they just can’t beat the Habs, it’s history, and it’s life. I mean the year they won the cup we almost broke em. They are the one team no matter how great they are it just doesn’t matter when they play the Canadiens, and anything can happen. They don’t scare me…..teams like the Flyers, Jackets, and maybe Detroit scare me. Pens and Bruins, bah, usually someone knocks out the top seed, may as well be us! :)

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Adidess says:

What you want and what you expect to happen are two different things. What you want is what your heart desires as a fan. What you expect is what you think is more likely to happen and probably what you would put your money on if you were betting a big lump sum. Some people are able to separate what they desire to see happen and what they think is likely to happen.

Neither perspective is wrong. Different people, differeant ways of looking at life and things.

44. Marc10 says:

Boston’s current streak reminds me of the Habs in the early 90s. We got hot right about the same time, won a bunch of games in a row and then crashed out in the playoffs. Peaked too early. (Mind you it was Super Mario that burst our bubble back then and the Pens went on to win two cups in a row…)

Still, it would be nice to burst Boston’s bubble and bring them back to reality. Time to get in Rask’s head again. Let’s go Les Boys!

• Habfan10912 says:

Health and special teams are often the difference in the playoffs but right now its hard to see anyone keeping Boston out of the finals. Sadly.

• Marc10 says:

Boston’s line-up has got great balance. They can truly roll four lines. On paper they are easily the best team in the East, but I don’t think they’ve replaced Seidenberg fully and that will expose Chara. At least that’s my hope…

45. frontenac1 says:

@Burly. Ladies Curling. Team Canada in tough against Swiss. Great game.

46. boing007 says:

Time for Gionta to retire at the end of this season. Give him a job with the Montreal Canadiens.

Richard R

• Habfan10912 says:

Two weeks ago I’d agree with you but he’s played really well the last few games. Now that he’s not expected to be a top line scorer his game seems to fit better don’t you think?

• CJ says:

Good evening Jim. I think it’s fair to say that Gionta’s been decent in a third line role. He no longer gets PP time, which IMO, is the right decision. Good forward however, what’s the upside? He has 44 hits on the season and his point production has decreased each of the last five years. Given his size, he’s not big enough to sustain an effective forecheck, and he’s no longer the scorer he once was, so, aside from his work on the PK, and potentially (I don’t know) value in the dressing room/leadership capacity, I don’t think he’s hard to replace.

IMO, Weise can take over on the PK next season, and our core should be able to sustain the leadership void. As such, I’m willing to pass on Gionta.

Curious, I thought I saw Max with an A on his jersey last night. Of greater curiosity, there was no A on Pleks sweater. Anyone notice this? Maybe I’m miss remembering.

• Habfan10912 says:

Someone mentioned that in Gorges absence that the club us rotating his “A”.

• HabsPooch says:

CJ, it was great to see Weisse play on the second unit pk. He can more than take over for Gionta next year.

• CJ says:

I agree. He has aced every assignment the coaching staff has handed him. I would think he and White could be our first unit next season. Truth be told, I think they could do it now, but I understand the coach has a greater familiarity with Moen and Gionta and prefers veterans to youth.

I’d like to see the money saved on Gionta applied elsewhere.

• twilighthours says:

Weisse was good, real good, on Saturday night.

• CJ says:

Agreed. I thought he hit the ground running during his first shift against the Flames and hasn’t looked back since. He’s much like Bournival in that they seem to fit on any line at any position. IMO, he should be resigned and have an even bigger role next year.

I’ve mentioned it before but it bears repeating; our fourth line is very good, and all of a sudden very deep.

• twilighthours says:

I’d get behind that

• naweed235 says:

I think at $ 3M / 2 yrs, Gio would be one of the best third liners in the league. He brings a lot to this team that is not easily detected by those who look for flash and offensive production from every single player…

47. twilighthours says:

Storm man, what’s gotten into you lately?

48. @Dunboyne Mike

There have been over a dozen or so books written about my unit and the things we’ve done, plus someone is always doing a documentary. I haven’t seen or read any of them. I had CBC in my basement for over two hours and I talked about my life in the infantry. I never saw the documentary, I heard was it was pretty special, but I don’t care if I see it or read it. I don’t know a single soldier who enjoys the glory of war and peace.

For me, I’m more upset that I lived and others died, but that’s just me and the way I think. I have so much guilt over living that it’s all I think about, that’s why I work hard at whatever I do, because it keeps my mind occupied.

I hope you enjoyed the documentary, it’s important that the people who pay the bills understand. If we let evil get away with what they do, then what kind of people are we?

Every time there’s a conflict in life there are those who oppose, I hate that. WW1, there were people in this country who didn’t want to help. WW2 there were people in this country who didn’t want to help….it goes on and on.

Well someday those people needed help, what if we said no? That’s not how life works, if someone is in need, help them.

The way things started in Afg may have been corrupt, but in the end the Taliban had to be removed, the things they were doing to people was wrong and that’s the bottom line. Religion is all fine and dandy, but when you are following laws written many millenniums ago I mean how can that be right? OK enough of this :lol:

Thanks for your support! :)

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• twilighthours says:

That was a big-time post. Thx.

• If there is one thing other than family that I am passionate about it’s my country, I’ve been everywhere on this planet and the the one thing that never changes is that when I come home I thank the maker for being born here.

We aren’t english, we aren’t Italian, we aren’t German, and we aren’t french…..we’re all Canadians and that’s an honor like no other.

But that’s just me :)

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Habfan10912 says:

I’ve told you this before but this world is made up of many people who make it a better place for all of us. You are one of them. We’re all better off for the work you’ve done on our behalf. #hero

Love ya Shane.

• laGrandeTerreur says:

I’m from the States, but the sacrifices of our allies are as important as our own Americans’. Be they Canadian, British, Australian, or other coalition troops, I appreciate their (and your) service.

Right now, thousands of French troops (lots of Légionnaires, from all over the world) are on the front lines protecting the innocent from radicals in Mali and the CAR. It’s important we recognize their ongoing contributions, as well.

(I am not French, btw)

• I know about Africa, my last years of service I was in Int, and I prepared briefings on all the future hot spots in that area. People have no idea how close we were to sending armies into certain areas of Eastern and Western Africa. But for Canada we are just too small to help out all over the world at the same time.

and believe you me, when we’re calling in fast air, the birds are usually British or American so we absolutely love the English and Americans.

Peace on Ice! :)

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Thumbs up! Female genital mutilation, killing gays, adulterers and anyone daring to leave “the religion of peace”? Not in the 7th but in the 21st century? Unfortunately, we and the Americans leaving, Karzai is a crook, the Taliban will be back and nothing will have changed. The Russian Empire is back in business and it’s starting to look like the 30’s. Should have let them have Afghanistan. ****!

Thank you Shane. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

49. punkster says:

How about that pass from Marky to Plecky for the winner…eh?…eh…???

Release the Subbang!!!

50. Mattyleg says:

Evening all, basking in the post-Leaf-burning bliss, making some breaded sole fillets, listening to the Tragically Hip, and then I see that Tomi made an appearance.

Brilliant.

And Stormy getting all het up about it too added to the chuckles.

It’s a good evening.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

51. Danno says:

Meet the wives and girlfriends at the Habs Family Photo Shoot

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

52. laGrandeTerreur says:

Would anyone like to join me in calling for a voluntary ban on the use of the “kool-aid” cliché?
    Especially in reference to people who simply liek their team and choose not to take out their personal life frustrations on said team.

53. Sportfan says:

On a certain podcast they said the only two teams that could beat Boston in the Playoffs were Pittsburgh and the New York Rangers. I sat there offended and thought that Habs would have a chance too seeing as the laws of advanced stats don’t apply when the Habs and Bruins face each other.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Danno says:

I like it when the so-called experts underestimate the Habs and have to eat crow later when they are proven wrong.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Bmon44 says:

You know these guys on the podcast don’t know what they’re talking about when they didn’t mention Philadelphia. Philly looks phenomenal right now. I think Montreal, Philly, Pitt, NYR and Tampa can beat the B’s, not saying they WILL but they can…

Columbus also has an outside chance. However, i think detroit is too beat up and goaltending hasn’t been amazing for them this year(but i think they’ll make the playoffs at least). Lookin like toronto might not make it, their defence makes ours look spectacular

• Last time I checked, we’d beaten them more times this year than they’d beaten us.

Granted, it wasn’t “playoff hockey” where the refs put away the whistles and anything goes, but still.

We have as much chance as anyone else, because we hit them right in their minds. ;)

Defense wins championships

“To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible.” St. Thomas Aquinas

54. Hobie Hansen says:

Was at a buddy’s last night watching the game, drinking beer and eating a couple kick ass steaks on the BBQ! So I didn’t get a chance to comment on the game!

To beat the Leafs in a game that was so important for them and a big one for us as well was awesome! The Leafs and their fans were getting pretty cocky a couple weeks ago when they passed us in the standings. Now the Leafs are a loss away from being out of the top eight playoff teams, I love it!

Huge game tomorrow. Parros might get the nod? There has yet to be a game against Boston this year where things get crazy. Tomorrow is the last meting between the two clubs this year.

I wouldn’t mind a win and a few good scraps. I’d just love to see Murray go at it with either Chara, Lucic or Thornton. Maybe a good scrap involving Tinordi as long as it’s not against Chara.

55. Danno says:

Is the Wings vs Wild game on the tube tonight?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

56. Da Hema says:

First “Mike Bone” and now “Tomi.” Some people here sure are cheeky!

57. Sportfan says:

Should Parros maybe go out there tomorrow to remind Lucy to back off!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Maybe via twitter.

I fear Lucic would wipe the rink with Parros. Big George struggles with second tier fighters. He’s not the same guy we started the season with.

Lucic would hurt him, badly.

• frontenac1 says:

Hard to call that one CJ. Depends on Stache”s coconut. If he’s healthy, could be a good go.

• CJ says:

Sadly Front, I don’t think he’s the same since Boulton got him with a late punch in a fight George controlled, but didn’t finish.

Parros 3-5 years ago would match up well. Parros today, not a chance.

Thing is, we haven’t had the best of luck signing pugilists in the twilight of their career. That’s why I’m so glad they drafted Crisp. MacCarron will also help. Nice that we took a chance on Nevins and Fournier. Calgary’s not going to give us Gratts, nor is Edmonton going to part with Gadzic, or the Av’s with Bordeleau. We needed to do exactly what we did, draft and/or sign our own. I hope we sign another one or two free agents from the CHL or NCAA who can help make us a more difficult organization to play against.

It was a big weakness, but in another year or two, it should be a strength, led by Tinordi.

• Timo says:

Tinordi? You must have meant Bouillon.

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah, too bad. I said when we signed him “He’s got great reach, good change up, but bad balance ” Balance did him in. Love the guy”s character though. Very unique Lad. Wish him the best. Tough gig being an Enforcer.

• Timo says:

Perhaps. But what good would it do? Not like they will ever be on ice at the same time.

58. PrashadHabs says:

Anyone got a stream for the Impact game?

59. The Jackal says:

Following the discussion of the previous thread, IMO the Habs are still the third best team in the East, in that regard they have improved while other teams have gotten worse and have kept up with the teams that have gotten better (TB).

Unfortunately, some of our better talents have stagnated or regressed, and that is cause for concern. But we remain in a better position than last year for various reasons.

For one, the D is not as bad as last year – MT has adjusted to try and create a more defensively sound team, and he has succeeded to a degree. The D is still the biggest weak point but we are not as much of a mess there was we were this time last season.

Secondly, Price has had a Vezina season and it’s looking like he will continue that play down the stretch. There is much discussion about the value of a true stud forward or D over an elite goalie, and we’ve seen teams win the Cup with lesser goalies than Price. But an elite netminder can steal a few games and even a series, and this season Price is poised to do just that provided he gets sufficient support.

Third, while our scoring is still an issue at times, I think the team has overall found a better balance between scoring more and being more responsible in their own end.

Lastly, we have more depth than we did last season and while some guys have regressed we have guys like Bournival and Weaver who have proven to be very helpful pieces.

All in all, I think we can win a few rounds and get good experience moving forward.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

I agree that we are third best in our division. I don’t think we are third best in the east though. Aside from Boston everyone has holes and weaknesses, so it’s still wide open.

• Thumbs UP! Besides those two top teams (and even Pittsburgh has questionable D) the rest of the East is a gongshow, where you never know who’s going to win on any given night.

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

• 24 Cups says:

I think Boston and Pittsburgh are the top teams in the conference. Then there is a huge group of about six teams (including Montreal) that are all basically in the same ballpark. All of those six teams come with their own individual strengths and weaknesses.

60. SC-24 says:

I look at it this way, Montreal is still a wild Card Team and may have to beat philly to get in and that’s not gonna be an easy task so I am not on the excitement Band-wagon just yet.

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I am not too excited yet either and I don’t think many Hab fans are overly excited BUT last nights win was a big step in getting to the playoffs and once you get there anything can happen. I just have a gut feeling that Price is going to come up big in the playoffs this year. I think the Olympic experience was a confidence builder. Lord knows the Habs will need a big effort from Price to go anywhere.

• CJ says:

We don’t need to beat Philly to get in. The playoff format has changed. Our focus needs to be solidifying one of the top three seeds within our division. In that respect we need to best Detroit and Toronto. Ottawa and Florida are finished, so it’s a three way race now.

Technically, all five teams (Boston, Tampa, MTL, Toronto and Detroit) can make it.

• DLHABSNUT65 says:

Yeah, we won’t play Philly unless we win a round or two and with that slow defence, we’ll be lucky to win one game in the playoffs!!!!

Columbus lost to Isles? That sucks.
    Practice? Who needs practice.

62. Tomi says:

Doggone it, another day off for these losers?
    I didn’t watch last night’s game but I can only imagine that the Leaf’s totally brutalized the tiny Habs, just like I predicted yesterday.

Oh and is Michael Therrien still the coach of this team?

This is a recording, an annoying daily recording, I repeat….this is……

63. Sportfan says:

Wouldn’t it be better to have White out against the Bruins not Bournival who would aggravate his concussion ?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

64. BJ says:

Game over Blues 1 Pens 0.

65. UnkleGary says:

Hello all! First off, I’m out in Victoria and I’m going to check out the second game of the Victoria Royals vs Spokane Cheifs series. I went through the rosters but didn’t recognize any Habs prospects, does anyone have any info on any players? Anyone I should keep my eye on? Maybe i could just write a little write up about players that impressed after the game.

Anyhoo, feels pretty good today after picking up two points last night. I will be pretty giddy if the Leafs finish ninth.
    I thoughts the forward lines were well constructed, I’m happy Bork had a good game, he could be very valuable for a playoff run.

I really love all the comments on this site, it’s such a great community based on the love of Habs and hockey. Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

CH-eers!

66. jimmy shaker says:

C’mon c-bus……wakem up! Price vs cubs. Budashe vs sabres. Price vs wings with me in the front row Thursday at the joe! Thank u!

Shaker out!

67. gexx says:

4-2 montreal…

68. CJ says:

Isles with a late second period goal to go up 2-0 on the Jackets. Barring a comeback, the Leafs might catch a huge break this afternoon.

• Habcouver says:

A Blue Jacket team that deserved the win against our boys, losing to the Islanders playing a spoiler’s role. Seems to be always the way.

I believe the Laffs will be the doer of their own fate anyways.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Strummer says:

Columbus still has a game in hand though. Hopefully New Jersy takes care of business against the Leafs tonight.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

69. GGtheHab says:

If they give Budaj the Fla game Sat, Carey can play Det Thursday then rest till Tuesday to face TB..

70. BJ says:

Watching the Blues-Pens game scoreless tie after two in a playoff type game. Blues are a tough team to play against. Despite all the offensive talent Pittsburgh has they are without any breathing room.

71. Paz says:

I think one of the most relevant posts I’ve ever read here was written by Chris a few months back. No surprise since Chris knows his stuff.

It had to do with forwards who are committed to backchecking, and how this is can be the difference between winning and losing.

The pressure from behind, 5 on 5, is one of the outstanding features of Boston Bruin teams. If you are not willing to skate back and make a difference the Bruins will not keep you. Ryder, Seguin, are two examples.

This is about reading the play, reacting quickly, positioning properly, committing the energy, and then backchecking intelligently.

It takes character, it takes commitment.

• Strummer says:

Don’t kid yourself about why the Bruins moved Seguin.
      It was a salary dump. They didn’t have the cap room for him and what they got back from Dallas cost less.
      Why would Lamoriello who has built tightly structured defensive teams sign Ryder if he can’t back-check?

____________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Paz says:

If you take Eriksson and Reilly Smith, the Bruins are paying 5.25 million, and Smith is due for a raise this summer. Seguin is locked in at 5.75 million until 2019. Where is the salary dump?

And Ryder was signed in NJ to score goals. They needed to bring in some offence since they’ve lost Parise Kovalchuk. Ryder is not a defensive player.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Many forget Dallas agreed to take Perverley’s bloated $3.5M along with Seguin.
        The net Cap savings for the Bruins was a huge + $4M that allowed them to secure more of their core longer term

• Paz says:

That is 1 year of 4 million. Smith will need more money this summer, and by next fall, the 4 million will be down to 3 or less, if they sign Smith for 3 years. Hardly a huge salary dump going forward.

• Seps says:

Seguin slept with Horton’s wife, and was partying like a young Carey Price… That’s why he was moved.

• GrimJim says:

Let’s see…
          Seguin was traded because he slept with Horton’s wife…
          Chelios was traded because he slept with Ron Corey’s wife…
          Phaneuf was traded because he slept with Darryl Sutter’s niece
          Lindros had to leave the flyers because he slept with another player’s wife and the guy punched Lindros in the locker room…
          Pronger had to leave Edm because he was having an affair with a female reporter and his wife found out…
          Odd, isn’t it, how often it is that a player who is not universally liked leaves a team, that rumour comes out?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yikes, GJ!

Never knew any of that! That’s what, 15 years of goss in one little post! You left out what’s his name the ex-Ranger superpest (Edit: Sean Avery) and his obnoxious epithet).

(and who knew Phaneuf was a lesbian?)

(Actually I withdraw that — me trying to be funny. Problem is, the underlying implication is that Phaneuf plays like a girl/woman, and therefore he is bad. My bad. My horrendous bad. Because women make great hockey players, and we have to look no further than our own amazing Olympic team. Phaneuf couldn’t earn a place with the men, I doubt he’d earn one with the women either! So instead of deleting my poor joke that I initially thought was so clever, I’m leaving it up there in the interests of encouraging a re-think on references to Princess Dion etc. Does that make sense or will I have caused even more offense?!)

• CJ says:

As painful as it to say this, the Bruins are one of, if not, the, model franchises in hockey today. They are willing to play rookies and players without experience. Their trust is rewarded with solid play, up and down the lineup. They are tough, and can play any style you want. Their fourth line has been the best in hockey over the past four years, and, as Paz has noted above, there are no passengers.

While with the Bruins Ryder was making saves in net to avoid elimination against us. What a difference compared to the disappearing act he pulled while in our organization last spring.

I believe we are working at improving the culture in Montreal, but it takes time. The Bruins 7 game series loss to us, followed by the meltdown against the Flyers added the character required to take that next step. They are now battle tested and likely to be the road through which any team in the east must travel to advance to the Stanley Cup.

We are on the up swing and this spring could go a long way to helping build the character required to win at the next level.

• frontenac1 says:

Yeah,but we still own them amigo.

• CJ says:

We do Front. I hope we pick up where we left off dating back to our 4-1 win on Jan. 30.

• frontenac1 says:

There are quite a few Bruin and Hab fans down here CJ. Both clubs had their farm teams here for awhile in the 70″s. It’s really amazing how the Bruin fans are frightened by the Habs year after year.

• CJ says:

We had that amazing stat going up until recently. I think, and someone please correct me, we were 24-8 over the last 32 playoff series. Montreal has hoisted the Stanley cup at the Boston garden more frequently than the Bruins have Stanley Cups. We went almost 50 years between series losses (early 40’s late 80’s)….

Crazy stuff like that.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

That is why I am all for signing Gionta at a reduced rate and 3rd line role with Plek.. The culture of back checking and defensive play.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

If we are serious about taking the next step, Gionta won’t be a part of our future. Ask yourself, would he fit on the third line of any of the top five teams in the league? IMO, the answer is no.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Really? He is a bi reason the Habs PK is near the top of the league.. Sure Moen and Plek are the top two, but Gio comes in third for me. He rarely makes poor decisions with the puck. I think you’d be hard pressed to find one of the top 5 teams that wouldn’t want him.. But hey I’m not the GM, I just like the way he plays.. Definitely not a game changer, but solid.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• CJ says:

I think he’s been good on the PK and I agree that he makes the responsible play more times than not. Your points are valid.

However, he is 5’7″ (generously), has 44 hits this season and his point production has decreased every year for 5 straight seasons. At 35, and on the heals of two major reconstructive surgeries, what’s the upside?

I’d resign Weise and let he and White help with the PK. We need to break free of many of the old guard. Our free agent money is better spent elsewhere.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Backchecking is a minor aspect of the game and is situational at best.
      3 zone effort is what is important.

Game situations – being up or down, decide the play and system risk

The Bruins excell because of superior talent and commitment to system that includes backchecking when needed.
      It is so much more than that 1 simple aspect.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Back checking is the most important part of defensive hockey. There are more even strength goals scored on the rush than off sustained pressure in the NHL.

Without a fierce back check players get more time on the rush leading to a crisper pass and more goals. You are incorrect if you don’t consider back checking as part of “three zone effort” as it covers three zones!!!

Also, the entire game of hockey is situational style depends of matchups and score along with execution of the overall gameplay philosophy, all of which include a fierce back check.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Mark C says:

Why did the same GM/coach combo give Ryder a three year deal to begin with?

Guess even the best make mistakes.

I would also suggest that Seguin’s character had more to do with him being traded than back checking.

72. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from previous thread:

One thing I’ve wondered about with franchises like the Oilers and the Jets is how the threat of a trade may not exist there. I’m just speculating here, but if the vast majority of players include these two towns on their list of cities they wouldn’t accept a trade to, wouldn’t at least a few of the players on the Jets or Oilers see the prospect of a trade to Tampa or Nashville as not much of a motivator, if they wouldn’t outright welcome the deal?

I know most athletes are proud men, and it’s humiliating to them to be told “We don’t want you anymore”, but if you’re stuck in Edmonton, and you’re not winning and not having fun at the rink, and your coach is a bit of a diva and martinet, aren’t you checking with your buddy who plays for the Ducks or the Coyotes, and see how things are over there?

I had another schadenfreude moment yesterday watching the dastardly Andrew Ference suffer along as the Captain of the Oilers. Who the heck ever thought that mendacious thug was a good choice for that position?

And again I thought of Justin Schultz, who had his choice of teams to sign with two seasons ago, and chose the Oilers over his home province Canucks. I thought at the time that was a misguided decision, that he could have played an instant role as the right-handed guy on the third pairing who played the powerplay, and been on a contender. Sure, the Canucks now are almost as big a mess as the Oilers, but if they’d had Justin Schultz on their blue line, they could have made some other roster decisions and a playoff push last season, might not be in the mess they are now. The cascade of dominoes might have gone a different way.

• frontenac1 says:

Hola UCE. You can add the Leafs “captain” to that list of shattenkirk too amigo. Saludos!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Oh yeah, I got that embarrassment covered, Maritime and I are of a same mind on that joke.

One thing that stands out in my mind is how much of a crosschecking menace Dion Phaneuf is against our smaller skill guys, how he’s big bad Dion after the whistle when he wants to take a free shot at Brian Gionta, compared to his muted appearances against the Bruins in these playoffs. His was a shameful performance, another embarrassment in a long sequence of these for Toronto fans, that he wears the C on his jersey, as he was a veritable purring wittle kitty cat against Milan Lucic and Sean Thornton, stopping short of voluntarily surrendering his lunch money during pre-game warmups as a ploy to ingratiate himself and sail through the game unscathed. Also, like when faced with Brandon Prust, he was much less intrepid than when confronted with Aaron Palushaj last season.

This thread title will make Timo’s day.

• Strummer says:

It seems to be the threads title after every other game.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• B says:

Would he have bag skated them for losing in every aspect of the game and the humiliation on the scoreboard last night?

–Go Habs Go!–

74. 25insight says:

He’s making fun of timo’s pessimism. I welcome him.

75. Sportfan says:

Wouldn’t it be more funny if he said positive things?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

76. Seps says:

Well to Columbus at least haha

77. Mr_MacDougall says:

CHL needs to do this and scrap the Memorial Cup.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

78. frontenac1 says:

Frikkin round ball! Are you kidding? It sucks worse than soccer.

79. veryhabby says:

Mr MacDougall

Funny you say that . My 13 yr old said the same thing and sat down yesterday with pen and paper in hand trying to figure out how that would work, making a mock schedule etc. (he is a sports stats type of kid)

After sitting at the table for about an hour my hubby asked him how it was going and he replied, “wow it’s harder to organized then I thought!” He may have given up shortly thereafter. But hey there’s computers to figure out that type of stuff. But it sounds like fans of all ages would like the idea.

80. Do what? I want to know, I want to learn, I need information? :lol:

Seriously what are you two talking about?

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

81. Oh My you live on my Island! Noice!!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

82. Mr_MacDougall says:

The 60 CHL teams plus the top 4 Junior A teams in the nation..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

83. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’d suggest all 60 CHL teams plus 4 Junior A teams.. Either that or the top 4 teams get a first round exemption.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

84. Mr_MacDougall says:

If there’s gambling the money would come.. TV revenue would grow…

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

85. Mr_MacDougall says:

No, you’re on my island!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

86. Dunboyne Mike says:

Hi Sholi.
    Just say if you don’t want/need such things. But I heard last Sunday’s Sunday Edition on CBC (I podcast it) and they devoted an hour to marking the 10th Anniversary of Canada in Afghanistan. Of course I thought of you. All kinds of different and not always unanimous perspectives on it. It’ll be up on the website.
    (If you don’t tell me, I’ll keep mentioning these programmes! Don’t be polite!)
    Cheers

87. Bah humbug, ask anyone on PEI who owns PEI, and they’ll say, oh it’s that kid from up west…Shane Oliver :lol:

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Congrats Carey Price and PK Subban, Montreal’s Gold Medal Members!

88. Mark C says:

You really don’t have an issue with people not seeing eye to eye, yet you then call a group of people kool aid drinkers?

Who is the 4 year old now.

89. Mark C says:

How drunk are you?

90. Mattyleg says:

That’s not very nice, and I disagree.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

91. laGrandeTerreur says:

you are a sad soul. cheer up! you might win a friend or two.

92. Mattyleg says:

Who’s we?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

93. scamorza says:

Mes Amis,
    Je suis sur que nous avons mieux chose a faire de repondre a Monsieur toujours Triste :-)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

94. PrimeTime says:

How many accounts have you had?

********************************************************
    “Fans are entitled to express their opinion, but most of the comments on talk radio and on The Gazette’s Hockey Inside/Out website ranged from the mildly uninformed to the outrageously stupid” – Pat Hickey.

95. Mattyleg says:

I don’t understand what you mean by the kool aid gang running amock.

I’m not looking to poke fun at you or whatever, but you’ve been acting really antagonistic recently, posting random negative comments and trying to p!ss people off.

Most of us come on here for good discussion, and you used to add to it. Now it seems like you just want to antagonize, which is a shame, because it’s important to have differing points of view so that everyone has food for thought.

And you were already wound up before the fake account was made, it was poking fun at your over-the-topness.

It’s just the internet, Stormy, we all just want to get along, y’know?

I have no beef with you, man.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

96. Mr_MacDougall says:

Ahhh, I’m a Stratford low life!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

97. Mattyleg says:

That’s just around the corner from me.
    Never been.
    Worth a visit then?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

98. twilighthours says:

I obviously missed the boat on the fake account stuff.

But the rest? Yeah. I’ve only been on HIO a few times over the past week, but every time there’s been a lot of rage.

99. Mattyleg says:

Ha!
    Have to give it a go.
    Hope they have difibrillators…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

100. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Not the front page but it got some ink for sure. Nothing worse than getting pounded by a bad Calgary team at home on a Saturday night.

101. Hobie Hansen says:

It’s just ugly in Edmonton. They have to fire what’s his name as coach? Dallas Eakins! They also have to get rid of Kevin Lowe. What the heck were they thinking bringing back Craig MacTavish as well?

The Oilers seriously suck. They need to trade off some of that young talent and bring in a few more veterans. Maybe trade Yakupov or RNH for a couple of 2nd or 3rd line grinders with some size and nastiness. Aside from being small, the Oilers just don’t have any life.

102. Habcouver says:

How about the water bottle incident?
    Nice tantrum, Eakins!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

103. HabFan in Edmonton says:

It is ugly in Edmonton. I don’t think Lowe is going anywhere, he and Katz are good buddies. They can’t seem to find the right coach or the right pieces to the puzzle. The fans are getting very restless.