Habs get day off after win over Avalanche; Bozon’s condition improving

Coming off an exciting 6-3 win over Patrick Roy’s Colorado Avalanche Tuesday night at the Bell Centre, Canadiens coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off Wednesday.

The Habs, who are on a three-game winning streak, will be back on the ice Thursday in Brossard for a morning skate at 10:30 a.m. before facing the Columbus Blue Jackets Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Canadiens will then travel to Toronto to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

It took Thomas Vanek six games to score his first goal in a Canadiens uniform after being acquired at the trade deadline, but he ended the slump in style with a hat-trick against the Avalanche. However, only two hats were thrown on the ice by fans at the Bell Centre.

“I thought as a line we had gotten a lot of chances lately and we didn’t get rewarded,” Vanek told reporters after the game about linemates Max Pacioretty and David Desharnais. “I’m glad the coach stuck with us. I thought we made some good plays today, especially Davey and Patch. They set me up nicely and I could finally finish.”

Therrien told reporters he was happy with all four of his lines, including Daniel Briere-Tomas Plekanec-Brendan Gallagher; Alex Galchenyuk-Lars Eller-Brian Gionta; and Travis Moen-Brandon Prust-Dale Weise.

“I like our balance,” Therrien said. “When you win and you score goals, you’re going to be happy. We’ve had these lines since the third period against Ottawa (Saturday). I hope we keep it like this until the end. It makes my job easier.”

Vanek and Co. spoiled Patrick Roy’s return to the Bell Centre as head coach of the Avalanche.

“I thought both teams played really well and tonight the puck bounced their way,” Roy told reporters after the game.

Meanwhile, there was some good news Wednesday about Habs prospect Tim Bozon, who has been battling meningitis. The Saskatoon Health Region provided an update on the 19-year-old’s condition, which has been changed to critical but stable and improving. Over the weekend Bozon’s condition continued to improve and he was moved out of the intensive-care unit and into one of the hospital wards. His physicians have listed his condition as stable and his parents say he is moving around in his bed, trying to feed himself and trying to speak.   While his condition continues to improve, the report says he still faces a long recovery.

The Canadiens selected Bozon, a left-winger, in the third round (64th overall) of the 2012 NHL entry draft.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

(Videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Update on Tim Bozon’s condition, Canadiens.com

Habs prospect Bozon moved out of intensive care, kootenayice.com

Hats off to Vanek, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Vanek gives listless power play a boost, by Pat Hickey

Bell Centre buzzes for Patrick Roy, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Roy has only one regret from infamous night at Forum, Stu on Sports blog

Avs lose in Roy’s return to Montreal, Denver Post

Roy loses in return to Montreal, but departs a winner, CBC.ca

Push the Vanek button, NHL.com

Scoring spree, Canadiens.com

Gotta see it: tough-guy Moen’s spin-o-rama, Sportsnet.ca

Habs vs. Avalanche photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

1. s13 says:

long time lurker here.
    been fun reading your posts over the years.

the question i have is shouldn`t the habs be paying bozon`s medical bills??

2. swannyboy says:

” We had these lines since the third period of ottawa game ” There’s the problem Therrien changes the lines too much.All the top teams roll 3 set lines, he juggles his lines and expect instant results,this stategy will cost this team in the end.

3. WVHabsfan says:

Being carted off of the ice

4. WVHabsfan says:

Big hit in Toronto on Paul Ranger!

5. CHicoHab says:

Last week Bob Mackenzie stated when teams come back home from their western road trips they usually lose first game at home. In our case we lost to Bruins. The Leafs also back from out of town in from the West and played the East as well going into tonight. I guess that means Tampa should beat them. Let’s see.

6. WVHabsfan says:

Chipmunks with hard#ns! Hilarious Front!!!!!

7. WVHabsfan says:

Hey guys. We want TB to win tonight right? I just wanted to double check that their winning would benefit the Habs best? Thanks

8. habstrinifan says:

Honest question.. please answer in the tone it is being asked or move on.

Do you think that the HABS have played a more flowing or ‘playmaking’ style since the Ottawa comeback.

I recall a few games ( I think one was oddly against Columbus) where HABS went to work ‘stylistically’ and won. There were similar games against Chicago and a few otheR teams (Tampa Bay??).

While I dont want this to be a discussion re Therrien, it always seemed that after these games, there was a definitive ‘clampdown’. I dont see that as having happened after the Ottawa game. And here we are 3 wins after and really playing (in my humble opinion) a little more swashbuckling ( ok I am exaggerating) style.

This coincidentally came with the switch of some major players and the apparent creation of some really ‘offense’ driven lines. Again in my humble opinion, I think the DEFENSIVE pairing (insertion) of Bouillion/P.K adds to that offensive bent at the expense of say a D. Murray’s ice time.

Maybe I am seeing things. But I am hoping I am not.. and that there is now a renewed emphasis on “what the HABS CAN DO” rather than “what they need to stop the opponent from doing”.

Forward march with this trend.. if it is one. HABS as a team and the players individually will reap developmental benefits.

• Dave Jones says:

I think they have a little swagger right now. And definitely the lines have been juggled the past week and half or so to spread out the scoring, even as they’ve concentrated their best offense on a clear number one line (Max – DD – Vanek). The biggest adjustment to me seems to be the swap of Gally and Gio. The top 3 lines now all have credible scoring threats–whether there has been any system adjustments or not, it will translate to more offense. I’m hoping they can stick with these lines. If the Habs become a team that can average 3 goals per game, their overall team defense and Carey Price in nets will make them a true playoff threat (I won’t say contender–they’re not Boston, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Chicago, LA, but they could make some noise).

• Dave Jones says:

I have already said this a few times over the past few days, but I think the offensive potential of the team could be exploited further with the return of Nathan Beaulieu to the line up. A mix of Subban, Markov, Tinordi, Emelin, and Beaulieu on the back end–that’s five guys from the blueline who can comfortably join the rush, and who can be dangerous shooters.

9. habstrinifan says:

Do not know if this has been ‘shared’ here already.

Tim Bozon is out of the induced coma and IS SHOWING signs of recovery.

Continued progress to Tim!

10. Dunboyne Mike says:

Jo estete kivanok, Ozmodiar.

LOVE your midgets4moar website! Don’t suppose you’d share the method with me?! If I could embed an “Exam Answers 2014-2016″ link in a powerpoint for my students!…. I am DROOLING!

11. habcertain says:

would still like to see another tweak in the line-up, and swap Gally for Gio. I’m not ready to give up on the EGG line and if they can get back to the “beginning of the season” form, we would have a 2nd O-line. While I enjoyed last night’s show, it is unreasonable to expect that a 4th line will continually accomplish what they did last night. Briere has played well with Pleks and Gio in the past.

12. jlgib1019 says:

It’s great that Bergevin did what Gainey didn’t have the brains to do. Acquiring Vanek.Or a simliar player(s). When right,TV is a top ten Offensive player in NHL Gainey should have been fired after he screwed this team during the 2008 trade deadline. That year we were a contender,won the east. but his only deadline move was trading away our then #1 goalie for a 2nd rd pick. Then the Gomez fiasco wouldn’t have happened.

jr

• Say Ash says:

Gomez was a full season later, after Koivu lost the lockeroom

• jlgib1019 says:

I know,and he should have got fired a season before . I didnt realize Koivu was the coach.. I know that comment was to try to get a rise out of us who like Saku

jr

• dduncan says:

Hey, JLGIB1019, Gainey did have the brains to trade cheaply for Kovalev. The Vanek deal is a repeat of that. Gainey won an AHL title, ECHL title, and finished first overall in the conference one year but his mistake was in signing small players to huge contracts as the core of the team, as well as not resigning Kovalev as a “bridge” player. The coaches messed up the rest. Carbonneau didn’t use Ryder and Latendresse much in the playoffs on the first place team, and Martin didn’t promote the young players (SKost, Latendresse, Chipchura, O’Byrne), choosing to go with vets and role guys instead. As for Gomez, his confidence dropped, he got hurt, and he wasn’t surrounded with size, so like many former Habs his production fell over time. The team’s excessive obsession with defensive play also doesn’t help the scoring. But you’re right. That ’08 team came close. They had Tanguay and Robert Lang and almost got Sundin. Plenty of size, skills, scoring, youth and vets.

• Dave Jones says:

And actually, Lang got injured, if I remember correctly, heading into the playoffs that year. He was playing excellent hockey when he went down as a third line centre. His injury, more than anything, hurt the Habs chances that year. Bob Gainey wasn’t perfect, and obviously with hindsight the quick remake with Gomez and Gionta was probably not worth giving up McDonagh. But I can understand the pressure he was under to find answers after that ’08 team imploded the following season. Gainey’s tenure should be remembered as a time when winning became the focus again in Montreal, and when the fans had lots to cheer about.

Something else, just as a final note, that is too often overlooked is the league’s lack of commitment to opening up the game for speed and skill. Gainey brought in smaller players and didn’t establish enough balance. That will always be a fair criticism. But he did so expecting the league to remain committed to strict enforcement of all clutching and grabbing. The league has never demonstrated commitment to this in the post-season, and their commitment has deteriorated in the regular season as well. Crosby is running away with the scoring race this season while being on pace for about the same point total he had in his rookie season that followed the 05-06 lockout. The situation is still better than it was before that lockout, but a lot of ground has been lost.

13. WVHabsfan says:

TSN is a bunch of whack jobs

14. Caesar says:

The TSN tagline on the commercials for tonights games is Leafs are gunning for 2nd in the division with the Bolts at their heels, or something like that..

WTF????

• habs-fan-84 says:

On TSN1050 in Toronto it actually says “lock down second in the division”. It’s absurd.

• jlgib1019 says:

Why are so many fans concerned and whiny about Toronto. There is no reason to have an inferiority complex to TO and the Leafs. Montreal is a much better city and there is no comparison with the history of the teams.

jr

• Luke says:

I’d reckon the number of folks worried about the Whiny Toronto thing directly relates to how many live in and around Whiny Toronto and have to listen to their constant whining.

It’s less about the team and more about dealing with the fans, I’d think. At least it is in my case.
          They tell me to stop living in the past… then proceed to complain for an hour about a missed high stick.

• jlgib1019 says:

Try living around bruins fans the last 4 years. Their chests are puffed out and unfortunately with good reason

jr

• Danno says:

I don’t consider the Leafs to be a Canadian team because of their centre-of-the-universe attitude.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
          Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Strummer says:

I agree. It is beyond ridiculous. TSN hyping a game they’re broacasting tonight seems to make heads explode here.

______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• Caesar says:

I agree it’s almost as bad as the number of posters on here whining about the stuff other posters put up….oh wait that’s you

• habs-fan-84 says:

Obviously, it’s the way TSN is hyping the game (by falsely claiming Leafs can “lock down” second place in the division lol). Other than that, they can hype all they want.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Whose whining?
          I live in the GTA and listen to TSN radio and the FAN and simply added to the posters original comment. It is absurd though, to provide misleading advertisements.

• habs-fan-84 says:

For the record it’s usually me complaining about the whining that goes on around here, whether it’s about:

The refs and the NHL “conspiracy” against the Habs lol, CBC, Don Cherry, Glen Healy and Jim Hughson’s anti Habs bias or the gangs over on TSN and Sportsnet’s anti-habs bias.

This forum has proven this fan base has no shortage of whiners.

• Ozmodiar says:

“For the record it’s usually me complaining whining about the whining that goes on around here, whether it’s about:”

Fixed!!

• habs-fan-84 says:

No doubt you must feel better Ozmodiar.
            Cheers

• HABSFAN7 says:

I’m as big a Habs fan as they come and I do live in Toronto… But really? You Montreal is a better city than Toronto. I’m not sure I agree with that Toronto has so much more to offer city wise than Montreal.

Because I live in Toronto, my number one problem is dealing with Leafs fans on a daily basis, turning on the radio to hear about the Leafs, turning on the tube to hear about the leafs, tuning into CBC to hear about the Leafs… I’m tired of hearing about the Leafs.

• frontenac1 says:

TSN. Leafs won’t make the playoffs. They are like chipmunks with hard#ns! Lots of chirping but flatten on the road come spring time.

May not want to read this but a good article explaining why/how the Bruins are on top in our division.

And if you don’t want to read that, but want to see something neat click on this link below. Pictures from Duck/Capitals game through an infra-red camera. Very cool.

16. B says:

Are the Habs allowed to directly help Bozon and his family with the medical expenses or would that break some sort of CBA or league rule? Perhaps they can only discretely contribute to the fund that the WHL set up recently for the Bozons?

–Go Habs Go!–

17. Blade says:

Hey wjc,

Go Tampa!. I guess I am as dumb as a post.

I like the cut of your post. I’ll join you in cheering for the Lightning, looks like wjc is hanging with us slow folks now.

• wjc says:

Burilington, I thought you were above all of this.

You want Tampa to win, then I guess yo all gits what yo wants.

Just be careful what you wish for, this could blow up in your face.

Does ya all remember when you could not wait to play Ottawa last year, yo were all sayin things like 4 straight and the easiest team to beat, yo all remember how that turned out.

wjc

• wjc says:

Careful what you wish for. If only wishing made it come true.

Tampa wins, okay by me, Toronto wins okay by me. Toronto loses okay by me. I have no control over these things, they just happen and you and I just observe.

wjc

18. mdp2011 says:

Brian Wilde is asking if the Habs should try to re-sign Vanek and at how much. He is willing to give Vanek 8 years at 8.5M, I think that is ludicrous for a player like Vanek.

Yah that is a ton of cake, lets see how he performs down the stretch and hopefully in the playoffs. Too early for me to start approving crazy ass numbers.

• shiram says:

It might be more prudent to sign someone like Moulson to a lesser deal.
        Especially if Vanek is set on getting max term.
        Even if does not want max term, I would not like to see his cap push much higher than 7-7.5 millions per.

• wjc says:

Aw c’mon aprove it! Please, pretty please.

You people kill me, makes me laugh so hard.

wjc

• Phil C says:

Keep in mind you have to overpay for the best UFAs. Chicago overpaid for Hossa, but I’m not sure they would have their Cups without him..

• jlgib1019 says:

Too long,too muc. His production has declined the last 6 yrs. Hopefully he would give us a chance to match any offers,though

jr

19. Mavid says:

I look out my office window..and parked there is the snap on truck..and who is in it…my hubby drowning his sorrows buying tools..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

20. Danno says:

At the end of the game Patrick Roy was giving the thumbs up to somebody. Does anybody know what that was about?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

21. Mavid says:

for my poor little sens fans

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

22. Sportfan says:

I’m not a Leafs fan I despise the whole team, never liked Reimer etc. However I was really annoyed at the fact that the meida is trying to force a story by asking Carlyle how was he then telling Reimer and hoping they would get a good quote, crap like that annoys me sometimes.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Carlyle created that, he actually said back to the reporter, “oh you mean specifically about Reimer” then “just okay”.

That was all on Carlyle, he is a smart enough guy to know exactly what reaction he would get. I question his motives, I question his logic, but he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Luke says:

Ouch: From Mark Masters tweetering:

Cody Franson very uncomfortable when asked about Carlyle critique of Reimer

Franson: “You know, I don’t know, I mean, that’s tough. You know, there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s being honest.”

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I (without exception) cheer for the Leaf’s opponents, however that is more of an indictment on Leaf Nation/Media than on the team itself. (but hey, there are some Hab fans I’m not overly fond of)

As for (Sunny Jim) Reimer. I have always liked him as a person and as a player. He played well against the Red Wings last night. His Coach and his team hung him out to dry (for non support) in deservedly losing to a team missing TEN regulars. Hope he escapes to the ‘Peg soon.

23. theflukester says:

I hope MT does not mess with the lines. Team is really doing well the way it is. I think the line combo’s right now are very balanced and guys are happy with who they are playing with. It’s not a bad thing if all lines are not clicking. Happens. Longer these guys play together the better. Very entertaining hockey, I was sure Roy would walk away with the game but we kept at it. Didn’t see what happened to Prust, but I’m sure I’ll come across a replay.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

24. Mattyleg says:

Eeeech…
    Just watched that video of the Make-a-Wish kid and the SJ Sharks.

Man, it got awful dusty in here awful quick…

25. DipsyDoodler says:

WJC suggests that the smart hockey fan will be cheering for the Leafs over Tampa tonight.

First, with a few exceptions that modesty prevents me from pointing out, really smart people probably don’t follow hockey all that closely.

Second, and more to the point:

“It is not enough for me to succeed, my rivals must fail.”

– Gore Vidal

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I do think sometimes about how much of my time and energy is dedicated to watching millionaires chase a piece of vulcanized rubber around on a sheet of ice and start to feel weird.

But then MT goes and does something like give the team the day off and I get in such a f*#kin’ blinding rage that I forget all about it.

• The Jackal says:

Agree with your second but not your first point, sir Doodler.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• BriPro says:

Dipsy. I consider my wife as being an exceptionally intelligent person. And she doesn’t follow hockey.
      But what she follows is a little bracelet that sends information to a program in her phone to make sure that she’s achieved her 10,000 steps/day.
      And she’ll sit and play “Skylanders” with our 4-year old grandson for hours.
      ….and this woman is a C.A..

So I ask you, does the fact that we follow that vulcanized puck (as Ghosts puts it), or a little white ball on green grass, or someone sporting treated wood lats on their feet, leaping off a snow-covered slope to flip a dozen times in the air to (almost) land on their head make us any less intelligent than the other side?

I think not! Hockey until the end of time!

• Luke says:

We all have hobbies.

I can’t believe the amount of cash people pay to put fancy rims on the cars. But, I’m sure some of those folks would be shcoked when they saw how much I spend on beers… after I went for a two hour run…

I dunno. But I think I’m agreeing with you.

• Danno says:

No way. Go Tampa.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

Chicago vs. St Louis tonight at 8PM on TSN2.

It doesn’t get any better than this.

It will be about a two year recovery for young Tim Bozon!
    But one day he will skate to center ice at the Bell Center to a standing ovation! Fight like hell Tim! We will be watching and waiting!

28. Maritime Ronn says:

@ SmartDog

Hi.
    Some thoughts from here about your post below.

First off, one aspect about any coach that has ever been in the NHL, is that none of them can score goals or stop shots in a game situation.

Scotty Bowman was a great coach, yet he also had great teams and usually picked his spots with star studded lineups. (Habs-Pitt-Detroit)
    When he had the complete reigns and an opportunity to both build and coach ( see his 7 years in Buffalo…) the results were underwhelming.

As for the responsibility of Coach MT ‘developing’ players, unfortunately only a very few are privy to his Job Description…and somehow a guess would be that at the top of the pile, “WIN” is the priority…and perhaps ” Win Now” may be what it truly is – it certainly appears that way. ( see safe Bouillon play vs. Beaulieu)

This is the Big League with Pros that don’t want to lose their jobs where a lot of money/earning power/futures are at stake.
    There is always internal competition for jobs and ice time regardless of age.
    A youngster has no right to anything – it must be earned.

A young guy has to force the hand of a Coach, unless the team is absolutely brutal and that internal competition does not exist.
    That is not the case of this year’s Habs.
    Next year is another, and whole new year….

• BriPro says:

“….can he win in the playoffs…”
      And goes on to speak of last year’s fiasco.

There are major differences.
      As we all know, Eller was knocked out by a suicide pass. The author of that pass is no longer with the team.

Max and Prust were playing with injuries, and we didn’t have the depth we have this year.

We didn’t have a top-5 sniper. And even if Vanek is only here for the rest of the year and playoffs, I think it was a bold move by MB that should pay dividends.

Questioning how MT plays PK is wrong. So many complained about MTs treatment of PK based on a 30-minute TV show. How do we know how else he treats him? And almost every game’s summary that PK is playing the most minutes per game.

Many criticized DD and the smurf team that we had. Those issues were addressed, and (today mostly) DD is hailed as the next coming.

Yes, our habs might be missing one more power D, but with the experience this team has going into the playoffs, and with 14 games to go and some chemistry established, I for one am optimistic.

I would like to see the team avoid the Bs or Laffs until the final Eastern Conference round, but aside from that, bring anybody on. I’m sure our team can handle them.

The Stanley Cup finals however is another story.

• frontenac1 says:

Ditto that Bri! The boys are starting to gell and will go deep this year in the Playoffs. Habs can beat the Bruins AND Leafs. The Flyers got me worried.Saludos Amigo!

29. SC-24 says:

Would like to see MT make one change with the lines – move Briere to the 3rd and Galchenyuk to the 2nd. The two Gally’s together with pleks I think it would work better. Worth a try in Practice at least…. or the two Gally’s with Briere at center than Eller with Pleks and Gionta.

• Kooch7800 says:

I think it is about Balance right now and having Briere with Pleks is good. You are balancing out the youth energy with the veteran presence. Chuckie needs to learn how to play in his own end a bit better before he can take on some of the tough assignments that Pleks gets. Just my opinion though

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Putting Chucky in that sort of defensive pressure might not be the best thing either.

• HabsPooch says:

They tried Plekanec with the two Gally’s last November. It was a trainwreck. Plekanec doesn’t have the speed or hands to compliment Galchenyuk.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I don’t think Chucky understands sign language anyway

• mark-ID says:

Plekanec doesn’t have the speed? you are kidding right…?

Pleks is one of the fastest guys on the team.

• Habfan17 says:

Not at this point. They seem to be working well, so why throw a monkey wrench into the workings. If line 2 and 3 struggle, then perhaps switch Briere and Galchenyuk, I like that small adjustment.

Habfan17

30. Hobie Hansen says:

Another day off? Michel Therrien is the worst coach ever!!!

31. mr_jmac says:

As of right now the Habs’ most likely 1st round opponent is TB … 73% . Leafs = 14%.

If I remember correctly all 3 games they faced off against eachother this year were 2-1 overtime games.

This might be shaping up to be a classic series…

32. Mattyleg says:

In reply to Smartdog’s ode to youth below,

I also believe the rookies are our future.

Therrien just needs to teach them well, and let them lead the way.
    He should work on showing them all the beauty they possess inside.

He needs to give them a sense of pride, to make it easier,
    and let Deharnais’ laughter remind us how we used to be.

Every fan is searching for a hero,
    Rookies need someone to look up to
    MT never found anyone who fulfilled his needs
    A lonely place to be
    And so I learned to depend on MT.

He decided long ago, never to walk in Martin’s shadows
    If he failed, if he succeeds
    At least he’ll live as he believes
    No matter what they take from MT
    They can’t take away his dignity…

Because the greatest Coach of all
    Was hired by MB…
    He found the greatest coach of all,
    Inside MT.

The greatest Coach of all
    Is standing next to DD,
    Learning to Coach the CH
    Makes the greatest Coach of all.

33. The Jackal says:

Really really hope we sign Vanek, that would transform this team for years.
    I hope he loved the adoration he got from the fans last night, and if what I read below is true, that his family is with him in Montreal, then I really hope they fall in love with the city.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• wjc says:

Did you miss it when he came on the ice. He was waving ‘goodbye’.

He wasn’t tossing pucks he was throwing them.

He cannot speak french and has no desire to learn.

He said “never say never”, what he meant if you read between the lines is, “never……never.

Amen!

wjc

• Kooch7800 says:

Vanek is Austrian and Montreal has a very EU feel to it compared to most North American cities. Vanke may actually like this and as a hockey market you become a rockstar. He may sign in Montreal as we have an elite goalie and if he does find good chemistry. The islanders had no shot at the cup for awhile and Buffalo was rebuilding. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see him test free agency and end up signing in Montreal

34. zephyr says:

there’s no way we should trade eller. he’s still developing. john leclair ring any bells? I don’t think he’s a great playmaker tho. he tries to do everything himself. he’s a power forward who’s best suited to wing. I think galchenyuk is the playmaker & he should be getting the puck a lot more. I think the 2 should switch positions. eller can still be the aggressive forechecker but galchenyuk would be the guy to bring the puck up the ice. he’s already more effective. eller’s size/speed combo is tough to contain & he’d be more effective if he was getting the puck fed to him a bit more. alternatively, eller could be a great checking ctr & we could trade pleks. galchenyuk has to move to ctr tho.
    I think gio is gone next year for sure. we should resign markov. hopefully, we can resign vanek.
    it’s going to be tough to beat the goon teams like Ottawa, Toronto, boston & philly with georges, weaver & bouillon on d. tinordi’s play has been improving & he’d be a big boost if he can keep it up. hopefully, pateryn can come up & play too. this playoffs, we’re going to need murray for those tough teams at least. if tinordi can play with subban, then murray is our play on the 3rd pair. he’s mobile enough to play in this league & his physicality is unmatched. I can still remember the goon job Ottawa did on us last year. we can expect more of the same this year. subban plays half the game anyway & every team struggles to contain him. imo, he’s the best dman in the nhl by far. he’s the best I’ve seen in a long time. getting an adequate complement for him on the 1st pair is our biggest need.
    I think we have the pieces to make a decent run as well as any team in the east. plus we finally have a little depth. can mt get them to peak for the playoffs?

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

The Viking is developing alright…into a crappy hockey player. I’ve seen absolutely no improvement in any aspect of his game, with the possible exception of penalty killing, this year. I like the guy but as it is he just taking up a roster spot. I know, I know, he’s got size and skating ability. So what? Let him join the Giant Ice Follies. I don’t want him on my team — harumph!

• Tyhudg says:

Expectations are just too high. Everyone except habs loyalists had him tagged as a third line center and he would excel at that role if the habs could put him in a natural third line center role. For some reason though many habs fans think he is actually a 2nd or first line center… which is not the case.

I would love to see Eller utilized for the only thing he has consistently excelled at over the reigns of Martin, Cunneyworth and Therrien; playing defensively sound, physical, shut down hockey. That is when Eller is at his best, not when he is looked upon for scoring.

35. Alex says:

Unrelated note, can anyone tell me what time of year the summit usually is, and how much it has cost in the past? I would like to try my best to come for next years!

• Mattyleg says:

Late Oct or early Nov.
      Tickets usually around $100 each (I think…) plus travel, hotel, raffle gifts, food, and brewskis!

• wjc says:

Early in the year, and it cost to much and you need an invitation to attend. They sit around and ‘bitch’ about the Canadiens and talk about the ‘glorified past’.

Drink too much, yell too much, eat too much and worry too much. It is an exclusive club for only the special fan.

wjc

• Luke says:

Early in the year? Yup.

Costs too much? Depends on what you like to spend your money on.

Invitation? I suppose. Though the giant posts by Ian makes for a few weeks seemed an awful lot like an open invitation to me.

Exclusive Club? Only if you’d like to be excluded. That’s really you’re call. Like any community, you get out of it what you put into it. For such an exclusive group, the number of attendees that are not regular posters is quite large.

Drink too much/Eat too much/Yell & Worry too much? I’m sure that some do. It’s all how you define ‘too much’ I suppose. And whether or not you should care how much people eat, drink or spend.

• CJ says:

I am looking forward to attending. It sounds like a great event.

36. TheCanadianDagger says:

Respect out to the SJ Sharks organization:

• Frank2468 says:

That was cool very touching and seeing the kid get emotional tells you he loves his sharks. Hockey and hockey players the best sport and people in the world period.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

What a day for that young man. Great move by Sharks.

• Frank2468 says:

So true ghosts look at what Tavares did when he heard some fan giving a kid a hard time at the MTS Center for wearing an Islanders sweater. That idiot picked on him so much the kid started crying tucked his sweater under his arm and left. That fool needs to be taken out behind the wood shed. When it comes to kids all bets are off just leave them alone their innocent they just love their team for what ever reason. I remember some Leaf fan at a skating clinic in Toronto my daughter was maybe 4 or 5 at the time she was getting ready to get on the ice and was excited to be wearing her Hab sweater and learn to skate. She looked at a guy beside her and said something like you like my sweater by daddy got me it has my birthday on the back. The fool looked at her and said I’m a Leaf fan we can’t be friends!!! My daughter looked at me with that what did I do look on her face. I said quite loudly don’t worry baby he’s a Leaf fan and their team hasn’t won a cup since 1967 he’s a jealous fool. We looked at each other I shook my head and thought buddy move on say something and they will be taking you out of here on a stretcher.

• wjc says:

One retarted (not politically correct, I know) LEAF fan.

Just realize he is one in a million, most would have smiled and said, something like “well that looks really nice on you”.

One insensitive Leaf fan, should not be judged, as One Canadiens fan that says something insensitive should not be put on all the wonderful fans Montreal has.

Enjoy the rivalry, do some trash talking among each other, and then host a beer and realize…..IT IS JUST A BLOODY GAME.

wjc

• Luke says:

(Fine, I’ll pick this battle):

That you used the word disappoints me. That you spelled it incorrectly, I find funny.

• Mattyleg says:

Aww, I liked your reply, Luke.

• D Man says:

If you know it is politically incorrect why use it? It is P I for a reason. Do you know anybody in that situation? Nobody tries harder to be liked than a “retarded” person. Nobody is easier to pick on. Improve your vocabulary and find other derogatory terms that don’t offend your (potential) friends. The use of that word as a put down leaves me cold.

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• mark-ID says:

wow, thats really awsome and touching. Good for them.

• Alex says:

What a great gesture by the organization, truly touching

• sims says:

i cried. fatherhood has made me soft.

37. SmartDog says:

Re Therrien’s coaching (and criticism of…):
    For those who defend Therrien saying just look at his record, you ABSOLUTELY have a point. The bottom line is can he make the team win. And right now we’re looking at an almost-guaranteed playoff spot. So kudos. He’s obviously doing some things VERY right.

But there are two other issues. First, can he win in the playoffs. Last year the wheels fell off. Injuries plagued the team and starting with Eller’s being knocked out (Eller at that time was playing GREAT), maybe it’s understandable. But we need to see if this year with a better line-up we can make a show. If not, that’s going to say more about MT.

And second can he develop young players? It’s frustrating to see important players on this team slide. This to me is an even bigger worry. The fact that his treatment of PK is questioned by every former Hab who is willing to speak his mind, says something important. The fact that Eller is worse, Galchenyuk is worse…. that even crappy veterans like Bourque are used while better, harder working, younger players sit, is a real question mark. Yes, you can cite Gallagher and Tinordi. But Tinordi has been developed in Hamilton, and Gallagher has been given the kind of favoured treatment others have not. I don’t care if he’s done a good job develping one or two young players. I care that he’s getting the most out of ALL of our young players – and that includes Subban, Galchenyuk, and Eller. There’s a very least a question mark here. The future is with these guys.

I’m hoping that the lines stay roughly at least as they are. I think in time Chucky-Eller-Gionta could work. And give those guys their confience back. But it’s gotta be on Therrien that these guys are not where they should be. Colorado relies on its young guys. It trusts them and uses them. Roy spoke of how you need to be apartner to your players – and if they don’t like how you want them to play, that’s something you need to sort out. The system needs to suit the players you have. Therrien seems to be wanting to force square pegs into round holes. He seems proud of this. Unless he’s Scotty Bowman 2.0 (which I don’t think anyone believes he is), I have a problem with that. Our young guys are the future. And the team won’t win a cup without them.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habs-fan-84 says:

I’m baffled when people talk about Galchenyuk’s mistreatment.

• wjc says:

First question, Can Therien win in the playoffs, however, that is everybody’s question and eventually it comes down to one team that can.

Young players develop at a different rate, that is the problem and that is why teams opt to keep ‘YOUNG PLAYERS’ in the minors so that they are not under pressure and the microscope.

As long as the lines work they will stay together, as he says “it makes my job easier”

Every team has its own make up of vets and newer players, to rookies. To compare is hopeless, because you have little information, to properly assess the process.

The system has to suit the players you have, but the system has to a winning system, that gets you to the promised land (playoffs)

The players may not like the system, but buy in, because they are part of a team. This is the complicated part of the equation.

Roy was unable to build a case for himself last night, but on another night he may prove that his idea’s are correct on that particular night.

All things being equal, you have to have confidence in the management leadership, that have all the information and then make a decision.

wjc

• Mattyleg says:

Lovely.

38. DipsyDoodler says:

Simple question.

The people who say one of Therrien’s (many) problems is he juggles the lines too much.

And.

The people who ask what took him so long to break up Plekanec/Vanek (it took him 2.5 games).

Are they the same people?

I ask not because I support Therrien so much as that I’d just like to see some logic.

Simple logical consistency.

It’s all I ask for.

And free beer.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

39. wjc says:

The smart people on here will want the Leafs to win.

Reasons: Leafs have played 70 games, Tampa has played 68 games

Leafs have 80 points, Tampa has 81 points.

Leafs win and they have 82 points with 71 games played.

Tampa would have 83 points with 69 games played.

Tampa would be tied with Montreal with a game in hand

Toronto wins and they will be a point behind with same number of games played.

If you wish to stay in third you need Toronto to win, tonight, then you move 3 points ahead with a win Saturday night.

This has to make sense to the smarter fans out there, and the dopy ones, well what are ya gonna do.

wjc

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I disagree. If Toronto loses, it’s a real tough uphill climb for them to get into that third spot, which means it’s a good shot that it will be TB and Montreal in the 2nd and 3rd spots, with only home ice advantage up in the air.

I’d rather be more secure in one of those 2/3 spots and have home ice up in the air than the 2/3 and first WC spot to all be still up in the air.

Making up 3 points (and five if we consolidate TO’s loss with a win against Columbus) is a very difficult task this late in the season.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

From Elliotte Friedman:

“Just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12.”

That is specific to the playoffs, but it shows how hard it is to make up ground…that’s from November on!

• bwoar says:

Meh, we just need to keep winning, these other teams can sort themselves out.

• Frank2468 says:

I liked your comments made a lot of sense until your last comment calling your fellow fans that don’t agree with you dopes. That’s a good way to be the one person left in a corner by themselves at a party.

• wjc says:

You are a way to sensitive, you are obviously not a dope.

Standing at a party alone, might mean you are assessing the babes and getting ready to make your move.

Being in a corner by yourself is superior to talking to a bunch of ‘dopes’…..not referring to you of course.

wjc

• mr_jmac says:

TO wins increases their odds to make playoffs to 83.7 %
      TO loses decreases their odds to make playoffs to 66.4%

Habs’ chances of making playoffs doesn’t change based on the outcome.
      Smart fans want TO to lose because it would be sooooo sweet if they miss the playoffs!

• wjc says:

Toronto making the playoffs is almost a sure thing. Playing them eventually would be a trip I would like to take.

Not everybody is obsessed with the Leafs missing the playoffs.

This is supposed to fun, and what more fun could you imagine then beating them.

Never be afraid of losing, because losing will come anyways, unless you win STANLEY the elusive cup.

wjc

40. chanchilla says:

anyone have any updates on tim bozon?

41. johnnylarue says:

Crow, schmow!

My forecasts of DOOOOOOOM prior to last night’s game were just me trying my hand at the Reverse Jinx. And guess what? It totally worked.

Also, I have it on good authority that Matty was denied entry to the Bell last night and watched the game on his smartphone, sitting alone in a corner of the Lucien L’Allier metro station.

You’re not fooling anyone, Cursyleg!

42. PuffNStuff says:

The Habs get more days off than a supply teacher.
    -Look at the pretty flowers Michele-

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Stu writes, “It took Thomas Vanek six games to score his first goal in a Canadiens uniform…. but he ended the slump in style with a hat-trick
    ——–

“Slump?”
    When top snipers get traded, it takes time to get accustomed to line mates, while big challenges remain as they are still facing top checking opposing lines and the Top 2 D pair from the opposing teams.

Take Kovalev as an example:
    When he came over to the Habs from New York in 2004, in those last 12 regular season games, he had 1 goal/2 assists and was Minus-4.

And then reigning Art Ross winner Marty St.Louis with the Rangers this year.
    8 games played – 0 goals/3 assists and over 19 minutes per game including 1st Unit PP time. ( Vanek is playing 17 minutes/game)
    St. Louis had a secondary assist on the Rangers 7th goal against the Sens last night…

Vanek now has 3 goals/4 points in 6 Habs games, yet much more worrisome for the opposition is that this now deemed 1st line is much more dangerous, and the domino-trickle down of a Gallagher will add more scoring depth throughout the lineup.

• Alex says:

I agree, he was playing with an entirely new team for the second time this year and without John Taveres as his centre. He also got a lot of D zone starts playing with Plekanec, something he has never done before in his career.

• Luke says:

I think Vanek had 1 in his first six games with the Isle. It really wasn’t a surprise. Or it shouldn’t have been.

• BriPro says:

100% Ron.
      I would hope that the trickle-down effect would pay immediate dividends, but there are troubling signs from a few of the young kids.

I would guess that Gallagher is too mentally-tough to let his line relocation affect him, but Galchenyuk is struggling somewhat, and Eller….. poor Eller. That boy needs something. I wish I knew.

44. DeadEnd says:

Quote from MT: “We’ve had these lines since the third period against Ottawa (Saturday). I hope we keep it like this until the end.”

I’m guessing White and Bourque (and maybe Bournival) are not feeling too great right about now.

45. Paz says:

I know it seems arrogant for a poster to offer advice to an NHL player, and I know that my advice will not be read, but here it goes.

If I was talking to Eller I would cut his stick, maybe 1/2 an inch. This will give him a feeling of much better control over the puck and improve his confidence as well.

The second thing I’d tell him is to Stay Low. He raises his body and takes himself out of the proper skating posture much too often during his shift. Then, when he needs to burst he loses a fraction of a second regaining the lower position, back straight, knees flexed. Also, when the puck arrives he is not in the best position to handle it, to skate with it etc.

There is a mental weakness in Eller’s game, but cutting his stick and getting him Consistently lower on the ice will help him with his skating (balance), with his bursts, with his puck control, and ultimately with his confidence as well.

Hope Boone or someone can pass this along.

• Mattyleg says:

Nice!

I was saying the same thing the other day to my buddy, about Eller’s stick. Ever since he started in the NHL, he’s been getting stick penalties – mostly high-sticking. He has no control over his stick at all. Shortening it would indeed do wonders for him.

• Paz says:

Taller players use longer sticks, obviously, but sometimes all it takes is some small adjustments.

• BriPro says:

Marty St Louis uses one of the longest sticks in the NHL (apparently), and he has perfect control of it.
          I would weigh more on Paz’s astute perception that the bulk of Eller’s weakness is between the ears.

• Paz says:

I would doubt this very much. St Louis is about 5’7. There’s no way he could handle “one of the largest sticks in the NHL”.

• BriPro says:

Look it up.
            I’m sure you’ll stop your argument in its tracks.

• DipsyDoodler says:

They can call you The Moyle!

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi Paz

That all may be good, yet a few months ago, this Stu HIO article back on Aug 4th/2013 was noted.
      ——–

” Lars Eller is bigger and plans to be better when the Canadiens hit the ice for the 2013-14 season.

….Eller, who was listed at 201 pounds in last season’s team guide, is now 220 pounds – and not a gram of the weight anything but muscle.”
      ————–
      Perhaps all well and good to add muscle, yet a 10% increase in overall weight in a very short period of time for an already well-tuned, just turned 24 year old athlete…playing a sport that requires quickness and speed, becomes questionable.

Eller had a good start, yet his speed, quickness, or relative explosion looks nothing like how he finished last year.
      As for the added weight, was it Habs personnel driven, or supervised by some other non-hockey person?

46. Ghosts of the Forum says:

The only teams not currently in the playoff picture with a realistic shot at getting in:

Washington, Detroit, Dallas

Teams that could drop out*:

Columbus, NYR, Toronto, Phoenix

*maybe, maybe TB, but they have a couple of games in hand on most. Not that they’re guaranteed the points, but even two would be enough to make them pretty secure.

Outside of that, it looks pretty set (as far as the teams, not positioning). And of course there is always a chance that a team completely collapses or goes on a 12-game winning streak. But barring anything crazy, that should be it.

47. Mattyleg says:

Anybody who was irritatingly complaining about the days off earlier this month think that maybe, just maybe, if the Habs had been bag-skating every day between losses, as you suggested, that we might not be winning games right now…?

Or are you still smarter than the coach?

• Habfan17 says:

I stand by what I said before, Therrien should have had some light fun practices to work on accuracy etc. Funny how you translate practice to bag skate! I never once mentioned bag skating them.

You can’t draw a line from not practicing to the recent success! Remember, there is more than one right way to do some things!

Habfan17

• BriPro says:

They only took one official day off following the Olympics, and this had been scheduled long ahead of time.
        The NHL’s CBA imposes a minimum 4 days off per month, and the teams cannot randomly chose which to take as they go along.
        They have to serve notice to the NHL at the beginning of the month.
        So even if MT had wanted to schedule a practice, he couldn’t.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes, too many folks mention the mandated 4 days off per month, Therrien has given them more days off than is mandated.

I get all that and thank you for the extended information which I did not know.

Habfan17

• Mattyleg says:

…or perhaps I wasn’t talking about you in particular…?

• Habfan17 says:

Perhaps!! It is possible :) Still, I don’t recall reading posts looking for bag skates, simply people wondering why they always seem to be given days off instead of having some type of practice.

I am in Ottawa and the Sens definitely seem to have had more practices than the Habs since the Olympic break.

Habfan17

• Cal says:

During their recent losing streak they certainly could have used more practice. That is not to say they should be bag skated, but players should always be looking for ways to get better, and practice provides that. Days off provide a chance for guys like Markov and Gionta to get some rest. The rest (the younger players) need to get better, and quickly. 29 other teams aren’t getting extra rest every time they happen to win a game.

48. Alex says:

I can’t believe Ottawa let in 8 goals against last night, that is insane. They have been mediocre to poor all season and lately they have been a complete train wreck. Living in Ottawa, I could not be happier. The sens fans are brutal. Sometimes I think we have it bad in Montreal, but man Ottawa has been very bad.

49. TheCanadianDagger says:

A. Does PK get 60 pts.?
    B. Does Max get 40 goals?
    C. Does Carey get 35 wins?

• shiram says:

Sadly, no to all 3 this year.
      Price would need 7 wins, Pk 12 points and Max 10 goals.

All are possible, but unlikely.

• Alex says:

A. With how he has been playing lately, yes
      B. He scores in bunches, so 10 goals in 12 games isn’t out of the question for him.
      C. Yes, 12 games left and he will get most of them, every point counts and I think 7 wins is doable.

• chanchilla says:

7 wins would be doable if he played every game, i don’t think he will. Especially considering we still have 3 sets of back to backs to play.

50. Alex says:

I think Vanek playing on a line with Pacioretty and Desharnais is obviously a large contributor to his success last night, and when they played together the previous games they had a lot of shots but couldn’t get them to go in. However I think the big thing is getting his icetime started in the offensive end, with Plekanec he wasn’t able to do this. He had never played like that his whole career, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise he didn’t score in the first few games. I don’t expect to see Vanek getting on a surreal goal pace, however between him and Pacioretty I expect consistent scoring from the line as a whole.

51. FANHABULOUS says:

Hey, where are the stats guys who kept harping on about how Diaz is going to be the next Bobby Orr? Haven’t seen an update since… they must be re-crunching the numbers.

I think maybe the cat’s got their Corsi… or is it their Fenwick? I can never tell…

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• bwoar says:

Yep that was a sad chapter for the Diaz-is-better-than-Murray crowd. Of note, Yannick Weber has been used as #7 D / 4th line forward mainly by Fonzie. He’s pretty much a never-was at this point.

And he’s better thought of than Diaz in Vancouver.

52. Cal says:

REPOST:
    Habs have bounced and flounced all season. Their collective game has been all over the map. Yet, there they sit; 3rd in the conference after a brutal West coast trip that was supposedly doom for this year’s team. The comeback game against the Sens brought a much needed boost of confidence. Vanek starting to cash in only makes the Habs a team to watch come playoff time.
    So, are the Habs through playing possum or will they keep showing the game they showed against the Avs?

• Timo says:

Let’s go easy on Vanek cashing in… it’s been one game. Lets see when (if) he scores again, especially against teams that play tight defense.

Eller’s goal was supposed to relaunch him, but he was back to his old self yesterday. So I would hold off the Vanek celebrations.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

In fairness, Vanek does have quite a good history of scoring at all levels, against all teams and has been a bonafide first liner in the NHL for years. Not quite the same case as Eller

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Simply put, as the Avs found out last night, it’s a tough league to win in night after night.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Mattyleg says:

Boston disturbingly hasn’t found that out yet…

• Cal says:

The games don’t really matter yet for them. They are a lock for the playoffs. I don’t think they can maintain it and will run out of gas in about a month.
          Of course, the Habs are set up perfectly for the post-season. ;)

• 24 Cups says:

I’m not jumping on any Vanek bandwagons but he has 25 shots so far in his first five games. His greatest attribute is his willingness to park himself in front of the net, which also benefits the PP.

Here’s an interesting stat for DD. In his first 21 games he had 1 point. Since then he’s picked up 42 points in 46 games. Five points in his last three games. I’ve certainly had to eat crow as far as this guy is concerned. Am I alone on that point:)

• wjc says:

I can accept bounced but not FLOUNCED.

Never played the ‘DOOM’ card personally.

Predicted a deep playoff run, was laughed at, of course.

Playing Possum? Lucky, lucky win against Ottawa took the pressure off.

wjc

53. Sportfan says:

Well this is a day off they deserve haha

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

54. Dunboyne Mike says:

NICE!

I may have approached the game with some trepidation, but I did NOT make an apocalyptic prediction. I haven’t read everything yet, but can I ask, has anyone in particular volunteered any decent crow recipes so far today??!!

Oh MAN that was great!

55. Ghosts of the Forum says:

From ALN:

The Canadiens are 9-1-1 with Weise in the lineup.

And the Canucks got a 5th rounder for Diaz…

From Capgeek, the all time career money earners in the NHL.

#5 is shocking to me.

Paul Kariya at $89,372,600

Jagr, Pronger, Lidstrom #’s 1 – 3.

57. Alex says:

I love our fourth line as Moen-Prust-Weise, it has been very effective. For a fourth line it has a great combination of speed, skill and physicality. They also all seemed to be putting 100% effort every shift they were on the ice, and that’s great to see when there are some guys out of the lineup who weren’t putting solid efforts in. I like Bournival and White a lot, but our fourth line seems too solid to change it up.

On a separate note, I feel bad for Galchenyuk. The kids development is not being handled very well, in my opinion. I said it last night, compare him to MacKinnon who plays on a line with Landeskog and Stasny and gets almost 20 minutes a game every night. Chuckie has those linemates and icetime in his dreams. MacKinnon is also getting a significant amount of powerplay time. I do think MacKinnon is a better player and will be a 100 point guy in the future, but I really think Galchenyuk has the potential to be a point per game guy and that his development is being hindered by Therrien. Unfortunately I think Therrien is still here for a long time to come. Maybe they will move Eller in the offseason since we have a logjam at centre, I would love to see Galchenyuk starting to play his natural position…three years into his career.

Also what’s with another day off? Everytime we lose a bad game the team has take a day off to recoup, if the team wins a wild one it’s a day off…how does a team practice like this, even if just light practices working on the powerplay. But I guess that is why I am the fan and the coaches are the coaches.

• Phil C says:

Agreed, the fourth line looks great.

Getting to the playoffs healthy is extremely important. So I don’t mind them taking a few extra days for rest and recuperation. 82 games is a hell of a grind.

• Ton says:

Galchenyuk is not Mackinnon………..please do not compare. Mackinnon will be in the class of Crosby, OV, Travares. Galchenyuk will be a 2 nd to 3rd liner at best.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

hahahahaha

• Alex says:

My thoughts exactly. I also said I think MacKinnon is a better player, however I think Galchenyuk will be an all star in the league one day, and will be a top line centre for us in the future.

• Habsrule1 says:

a 2nd or 3rd liner? No way.
        Mackinnon may be better, but Glachenyuk will be the Yzerman to Mackinnon’s Gretzky.

He will definitely be a 1st line player on any team.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habitforming says:

I love all the thoughts on Galchenyuk being an all star etc, but the question is when?

Therrien uses him on the wings, with different line mates every other game and he has zero confidence or wiggle room to make a mistake. He should have started this season at center like all the top players do (MacKinnon, Tavares, Toews etc etc) and then let him makes the mistakes and learn from them.

58. Commandant says:

Great news on Bozon.

59. Habilis says:

Update for Bozon: http://cjme.com/story/tim-bozon-stable-awake-and-trying-speak/287310

Excerpt: “Bozon’s parents said in a media release that he is awake, moving around in his bed, trying to feed himself and trying to speak.”

Great news.

60. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Definitely cheering for a big win from the Bolts tonight. Not just because of the obvious hatred for the Laffs, but because that will be some good separation between the Wildcard and 2nd and 3rd spots, especially if we take the Laffs on Saturday.

It’s crazy how hard it is to make up points over the season. Elliotte Friedman posted some crazy stuff earlier in the year about teams that were more than 4 or 5 points out of the playoff race in November (!!) rarely, if ever, making the postseason.

• Habilis says:

Totally with you on that. I know that the logical thing to cheer for would be a Leaf regulation win, since they can’t actually pass us tonight and Tampa can.

But I cannot and I will not cheer for a Loafs win. Never. As you mentioned, a Tampa win tonight and us beating them Saturday would be ideal. It would pretty much become a 2 team race for that 2nd spot. Makes it easier to scoreboard watch in any case.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Totally. And whether we have home ice or not isn’t the hugest deal to me. Obviously, it’d be great. But being assured of not playing the Pens or Bruins in the first round is far more important.

And without St. Louis and Bishop struggling lately, the Lightning aren’t the worst match up. They do have one guy who’s a decent scorer though…

61. RetroMikey says:

Guys like Weise we need on the team, not skilled but has character, grit and is big!
    Bergeving needs to sign at least another 5 or 6 of these players to go along with the core player who will lead the team to a Cup in 3 or 4 seasons from now.
    Would trade Plekanec and Briere and not resign Markov or Gionta and release a few others from their contracts.
    This is the only way to go to build a winner in Montreal or tank for a few season and get a couple of high draft picks.

BIG IS BETTER!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Trade Plekanec??

• Mattyleg says:

But all you have to do is look at your much-adored Toronto defence corps. They’re big. And decidedly not better than anyone.

• RetroMikey says:

Yup, at least they can move the puck more quickly out of their zone than this weak D they had.
        Colorado is not better with their D as well.
        You’re from Montreal, can you not see the issues with this team?
        What’s your solution for a Cup to come back to your hometown?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• Mattyleg says:

There’s no simple solution.
          It’s about building the right combination of players.
          No one ‘type’ of player should dominate any lineup.
          The strength of a team should be its flexibility and ability to adapt to many different styles of play.

We are getting bigger players in the back end, with Tinordi and Murray, but with those players comes compromised mobility, made up for by Markov, PK, Beaulieu, when he comes…

Then you need shot-blockers and d-zone play readers, which we have in Gorges and Weaver.

We get these guys clicking together, and we’ll be hard to beat.

• Old Bald Bird says:

How does one go about releasing players from their contracts?

• jlgib1019 says:

Absolutely. Not sure what Pleks has for value,but it’s sure not what many here think. Remember the crying about the Diaz for Weise trade. Hockey “experts” with their blogs.

jr

62. mark-ID says:

Depending on How Bournival does back in Hamilton….I’d potentially like to see him take Eller out of the lineup. I’m still a fan of Eller……but if the fourth line keeps playing like last night, will be hard to take one of them out. Plus they all fill specific roles.
    Here would be my second and third lines:

Chucky Pleks Gallagher
    Bournival Briere Gionta

That line loses some physical strength without Eller. I recognize Bournival plays hard, 200 feet of the ice, etc. etc….

But Eller does provide a big body leaning on opposing players, the hit with Jon Mitchell last night as a perfect example.

• shiram says:

Could always bump Brière off of Plekanec’s line.

• mark-ID says:

Come playoffs, would we rather Briere or Eller in the lineup? tough call, but Briere has been putting some pucks in the net recently….so it has me leaning towards him. Neither have been good defensively…..but we would definately miss Eller’s size down the middle.

• shiram says:

I would not mind having both on the third with Gio, would make for a balanced line, I think.
          But then what to do with Chucky?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good question, Mark.
          Because DB is supposed to come fully to life in the playoffs, and it was this time last year that Eller started playing his best hockey. Experience vs size is only one of the dichotomies.
          Yah, good question, but too hard to answer!

• Habfan10912 says:

I think that’s where he will eventually end up.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

If I’m being honest, I’d take Gio out for Bournival. Can’t happen, I know, but on performance that’s what I’d do.

• jlgib1019 says:

Nope,Bournival stays in Hamilton. let him reset next year with Bourque and Gio out of his way. Not ready for playoff hockey

jr

Some Trivia, without googling etc…..

3 Players have NHL Career Earnings over $100 Million, can you name them?

64. Luke says:

It’s too happy in here.

Where’s Nuna, Ram & the Dude??

Oh, and Matty – I hope you realize WE would have won 9 – 0 if you weren’t there.

65. shiram says:

We complain about Eller, Bourque often, they are not playing as we’d like.
    Well sometimes the grass is greener on our side of the fence… at least we got no one as bad as this guy!

John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl

The Sabres’ Ville Leino: 50 games, 0 goals, 34 shots, 7 multi-shot games (1 in last 18), 12 assists, minus-14, Corsi minus-11.8, $4 million.

66. arcosenate says:

Hey, you to respect the fact that millionaires have a lot more responsibilities than the average Joe. They have financial advisors to meet, their expensive cars need detailing, the tennis lessons for the wife, birthday event planning for the kids, helping the maid get a green card, meeting the agent to discuss paid autograph sessions, getting the cottage ready for the summer, getting the boat and jet skis out of storage, having the golf clubs re-gripped, I mean for god’s sake, give them a break will ya?

67. DipsyDoodler says:

How ’bout that pass from DD to Vanek on the first goal?

I mean: how ’bout it?

eh?

eh?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

68. yukonhab says:

The Royalty are off again??
    Price 31

If I see another “day off” headline… I swear to god…

70. Mattyleg says:

What??

Another day off??

If I was coach, I’d have them out there practicing their goal celebrations!
    Prust’s was the only one that was highlight-reel-worthy!

These pampered millionaires…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

No Game day, Go Habs Go still?

Timo is it okay the Habs have a day off?

72. shiram says:

Well they should be able to do it, but will they?

Those damned question with too wide a spectrum…

73. Mattyleg says:

You think that we’re not going to sign him because his wife is from Minnesota, his favourite kennel is there, he had the best pizza-ghetti of his life in Sheryl’s diner there, and he can re-use his bus pass there because he kept it…

The only reason he was talking about going to Minny in the first place is because he wanted off The Island.

Plus, Minny will never sign him; they can’t afford him.

74. The Jackal says:

Zzzzzzz – clear skies today, don’t ya have some other place to be and rain on?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

75. Luke says:

His stick is disproportionately long

(… is what she said ;) )

76. BriPro says:

MSL uses a 62″ 75 Warrior Flex Yellow shaft stick.
    He claims the extra length helps him intercept passes.

77. Mattyleg says:

WOAH!!!

Oh no you di’int!

78. D Mex says:

Not as long as his pouts, but I getcha’ !

ALWAYS Habs –