Habs get a well-deserved day off

How about those Habs?

Thursday’s 2-1 win over Boston at the Bell Centre improved the Canadiens’ record to 8-0-1 in their last nine games, earning 17 of a possible 18 points to move into first place in the Atlantic Division with an 18-9-3 record, one point ahead of the Bruins (18-8-2).

After playing three games in four nights - all wins – coach Michel Therrien gave his players the day off Friday as they prepare to face the Buffalo Sabres Saturday night at the Bell Centre (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

“I’m proud of my players,” Therrien told reporters after Thursday’s game. “Even if we had a slow start, we adjusted well in the second period. My players emptied the tank and they were rewarded.”

Carey Price made 32 saves to record his sixth straight win Thursday night and has now allowed two or less goals in nine consecutive games, lowering his goals-against average to 1.95 and improving his save percentage to .938. He ranks sixth in the NHL in goals-against average and second in save percentage.

“There’s a lot of character in this room and we all know we have a lot more to give,” Max Pacioretty, who scored against the Bruins and now has nine goals in his last nine games, told reporters after the game. “Certain guys are stepping up, like Carey tonight.”

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Sabres vs. Canadiens preview, NHL.com

Subban could be one of nine Habs in Sochi, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty, Plekanec lead the charge, by Pat Hickey

Pacioretty feels terrible about Boychuk hit, by Pat Hickey

Boychuk flies home with Bruins, bostonbruins.com

Habs put exclamation point on tilt with Bruins, by Dave Stubbs

Habs rope-a-dope Bruins, Canadiens.com

Canadiens vs. Bruins photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Bulldogs showing some bite, Canadiens.com

1. Bun E. Laroque says:

Can someone remind me who it was that cross checked Emelin in the face last night?

2. Sportfan says:

You guys see the hit on Drouin??

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

3. Bill says:

Hobie: I agree, he’s loco. I prefer to see him messing up guys closer to his size, like Janssen, than making the point to guys like McLaren that they aren untouchable.

• Hobie Hansen says:

He does need to concentrate on scoring a few more goals. As does Moen. The only rumor I heard that I liked lately was the one where Montreal was interested in Matthias from Florida. A forth line of Moen-Matthias-Prust would be among the best fourth lines in the league IMO.

4. Bill says:

Hobie: A guy like me? Not sure how to take that, ha.

5. frontenac1 says:

Eric Belanger on AC again with new duds. Brash and impertanant, but workable in a flamboyant way.

6. Bill says:

Final thought on Prust: he was a shell of himself in the playoffs last year, because he brawled his shoulders right out of their sockets all season. Obviously he loves to fight, but someone has to try an get him to pace himself. We need a healthy Prust come playoff time.

7. Bill says:

I do wish Prust wouldn’t fight out of his weight class, or with worthless goons like McLaren. Does he feel like he needs a challenge??

He should be scrapping with other middleweights. I thought he was a dead man when he went with Lucik and McLaren both. Obviously he handled himself well. But he should be playing hockey and leaving the heavy lifting to George.

He’s not getting paid 2.5 million to fight clowns like McLaren.

8. Bill says:

I would say that the “rumour” concerning Pacioretty probably came from reports that he fired his agent.

It is a strange time to do that. Middle of a long contract and all. It’s easy for people to think he realized he short-changed himself: but there isn’t much to be done about it. Maybe he just doesn’t think he needs an agent. I don’t really know why these guys blow 10% of their income on agents anyway.

Pacioretty is a stand up guy. It sure doesn’t seem like he’s unhappy in Montreal. Why would he be? His career is going great.

Anyway, he’s under contract for another five years after this one. He’ll be 30 when it’s done. Can’t see him going anywhere for a long time. He’s settled in Montreal with his family, and his best buddy just signed a four year deal there.

Looking at his contract, I’d say he consciously sacrificed dollars for security. I don’t get the feeling he was swindled.

• twilighthours says:

@bill, I wonder how agents get paid. Is it one big commission up front? Or is it yearly? Because if it is yearly, then it’s easy to guess that patches was sticking it to his agent for screwing him so hard in his deal.

• Un Canadien errant says:

His former agent will continue to get paid his commission. When Roberto Luongo changed agents from Gilles Lupien to Pat Brisson, it was explained that since Mr. Lupien had negotiated the original deal, he would continue to receive his percentage. Which is why some analysts thought it was weird that Pat Brisson would take this on, wondering how he’d get paid.

9. sirs81 says:

For all the people saying E. Kane is a problem child etc…. Look the Black hawks…. They have one as well…. Nothing wrong with them eh… I cant see the Jets not wanting a Pleks and a first or Gionta and a first maybe trow in Bork in that deal…. Shed some cap….

10. habsfan999 says:

Is proofreading, editing, or even basic spellcheck going the way of the newspaper?

11. JohninTruro says:

McCarron scores his 4th. He has started to get more comfortable it seems in the OHL and has been producing more points recently. Took Tinordi most of the year to adjust when he went to the Knights from the US leagues, no doubt same for McCarron.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

Any talk of trading Max Pacioretty is complete hogwash. I was getting frustrated with the guy but never enough to think we could possible benefit from trading him. It would have to of been one hell of a player coming back for me not to be pissed off.

He might not play with reckless abandon and hammer everything in site but he’s a big, fast and strong forward. He just turned 25-years-old and is just entering his prime. He’s a guaranteed 30-35 goal scorer if he remains healthy, every year. He’ll probably hit the 40 goal plateau on a few occasions down the road. He’s got a deadly snap/wrist shot.

• Ton says:

agreed……………..you trade for these players but you give up alot…..just don’t understand how some of these teams get players like James Neal for nothing……well I shouldn’t complain we did win the Patch trade……Rivet for Gorges and Patch!

• frontenac1 says:

Agreed. And his contract is a Steal.

• Phil C says:

To be fair, it was not Montreal who were shopping him, but teams who were asking about him. GMs only do that if they smell a little blood in the water and the rumour was that he was not happy. I would love to know what the source of that rumour was and whether or not there is any truth to it. Because I really hope there is nothing to it.

13. JohninTruro says:

Crisp has been hot lately as he has another 2 goals tonight. Reway must be injured as he isn’t in the line up tonight.

14. Mavid says:

a rare Otttawa 67 game on sportsnet..love watching the juniors..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

15. frontenac1 says:

Any of you amigos watching the Wings vs Devils game? Why is it every time I watch the Devils I want to clean my guns?

16. JM says:

Tomorrow night I hope MT puts Bournival with Galchenyuk and Eller Let Briere, Pleks And Gionta stay together. (Experience Guys Together)

17. CynicalHabsfan says:

With the way the team is playing right now, I’m not sure making a trade is a great idea. But if we could get a young star like Evander Kane for cheap because of his “character issues”, I think that’s something we should at least consider. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I definitely had some “character issues” when I was 22, and I wasn’t a millionaire stuck living in Winnipeg.

18. Bill says:

I too have noticed Prust embellishing on many occasions. I would say he does it more than anyone on the team. Not my favourite part of his game, for sure.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think “many” might be pushing it a bit my friend :-). And front, it’s not as bad as a soccer dive because he practically injures himself when doing it. He’s trying to draw a call during a critical point of the game, not the end of the world IMO.

• Bill says:

Not the end of the world, nope. Almost everyone in the NHL will do it under certain circumstances. I just find he does it more than most. No biggie.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was watching 24CH, man is Prust a tough bastard. They showed him trash talking some of the Wild players and fighting Konopka. And people who think Prust doesn’t deter players from opposing teams from pushing around the Habs, they’re dead wrong.

Nino Niederreiter was lined up on the wing in the faceoff circle really pushing and shoving Lars Eller before the puck was dropped. As a result the ref didn’t drop the puck until they settled down. Prust was taking the draw, motioned to the ref to hold up for a second, looks over at Niederreiter and says : “What the F*&k do you think you’re doing? Do you want to get F*&king dummied?” Nederreiter immediately backed off, stood up straight and the puck was dropped. I laughed my ass off after seeing that and also gained even more respect, if that’s even possible, for Prust.

• frontenac1 says:

Prust is the Real Deal amigo.

• montreal ace says:

You want to get dummied, thats funny Hobie. I think Chucky and Eller would get run at a lot more if not for Prust. Nino responded with the right answer, he must have heard of Prust’s uppercut.

• Ton says:

pound for pound one of the best and toughest fighters……reminds me of Chris Nilan………..last year when he fought Lucic and Mclaren I thought he would get his clock cleaned …..my son called me out> Dad Prust can fight watch and I was going oh no…….well he did well against Lucic and he won the fight agains Mclaren. That was a week or two after Mclaren had that TKO against Ottawa.

• Hobie Hansen says:

That was a hell of a fight against Mclaren.

19. thebonscott says:

Regarding all the Kane talk, his acquistion would be awesome for our playoff run. He is skilled, aggressive, and can handle himself. Next year’s draft is touted to be not a strong one, so loseing next years 25th’ish pick is probably not a big deal, so i would include that. I would not include tinordi as 6 foot 7 defensemen do not grow on trees. I would try and keep beaulieu out of it if possible, maybe try and throw in Dalton Thrower and/or Darren Dietz. On the roster i would be ok with diaz, georges, bourque or DD going the other way. Basically, if this move is possible, Bergevin should pursue it vehemently.

For the sake of all that is right, please put the comment box on upper right of page!!!!!

20. Caesar says:

Not sure if it’s been discussed yet but is Hamilton even going to get a phone call on the Prust hit? we’ve seen 2 games for less than that. In fact Maxpac got 2 minutes for less. Does the NHL review these on their own or do the Habs have to request it?

• adadi says:

Pretty sad that the refs missed such an obvious boarding call. It is thus kind of pathetic officiating that makes hockey much more violent than it need be. All the league has to do is make sure that the rules are being enforced. Head Neanderthal Bettman makes too much money for that though.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I would like to see it again. Notice my Avatar before you jump allover me. I felt Prust embellished the hit to try and draw a penalty and the refs didn’t buy it. Prust has tried the same trick while with the Habs once or twice in the past and it also wasn’t called.

21. JM says:

MB has to improve our 4th line to have even a chance at getting out of the 1st round of the playoffs. Teams win stanley cups when they can roll 4-lines that put up points.
    After 30-Games our 4th line averaged 3-points each. No matter how good they are killing penalties or how good they play defense that won’t cut it in the playoffs. it’s like playing 3-lines against 4 all the time one or two on that line has to put up some points than we would really be dangerous.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

You would think Prust,White,Moen would be one of the best 4th lines in the league. maybe they’re being used to much in defensive situations? I don’t know. But your right,you would hope to be able to get 15-20 goals total out of the line.

• adadi says:

The problem is that our illustrious coach is challenged when working the lines. It is obvious that Prust Moen and White would be one of the best fourth lines in the league. The problem is that MT doesn’t see it. He prefers to put Prust with the skill guys to drag the down. Hopefully he will eventually stumble into this line…

If Robidas and Daley are both toast then Dallas becomes a seller. Is it time for MB to start thinking about picking the carcass?

Cautionary note: No one has any idea what kind of GM Jim Nill is in terms of being a sharp trader. Of course you could say the same about MB.

• Harditya says:

I thought the acquisitions of Horcoff and Gonchar were horrible, but the Seguin trade made the franchise that much better for the long run. That was a solid move.

23. PeterD says:

One of the things I hate about the media and fans of the NHL, is that if a player makes a poor life choice when he is 18 yes old, that player is forever labeled with that characteristic.
    Even if there is no truth to the accusation.
    examples.. where does Subban get the selfish tag? When did he ever put himself before the team? How did he get labeled a defensive liability that keeps feeding into the notion that Subban should not be selected to Team Canada?
    Another…Evander Kane…posts an ill advised photo of him waving money around…sure immature. ..but why does he get labeled for that and for how long?
    Another…Beaulieu…gets into a fight after a few pops and he is labeled as having off ice problems…come on the kid was 19 when that happened.
    Can’t hockey media and fans recognize the antics of an young man and part of growing up. Let the kids mature and leave their pasts alone as we would all hope others would do for us.
    Next time we want to label a play with some negative characteristic that comes out his past, consider some of the dopey misguided things most of us did when we were that age and then consider what that player is actually acting like today.
    Just stop labeling kids as head cases, or selfish, or with off ice issues…let them grow up.

• CH Marshall says:

Even though it was bone headed, I kinda welcomed the fact that Beaulieu got into a scrap. Tells me he can add some edge into his game as his physique grows.

• JUST ME says:

Or Tyler Seguin or Mike Ribeiro or Chris Chelios and so many others like that. You are so right but it won`t get any easier i am afraid cause the league keep on getting younger.

There is something people don`t understand is that under all that talent there is a kid that may not be mature enough to reach his full potential playing with men. That`s why they should stay in tha AHL for as long as they are supposed to. Detroit does that and you never have any cases of immature athletes reaching the NHL . They stay at least 3 years in the AHL no matter what.
      People will agree but in the same sentence will ask when Tinordi and Beaulieu will be brought back up. They say McCarron is not doing as expected in the minors. He is 18 years old for pete`s sake ! A kid !

We have been extremely lucky lately with the Galchenuyks, Gallaghers, Bournival and P.K. but they need to be followed closely on and off the ice.

• aroma says:

The mentality you’re discussing is the same one that resulted in Montreal ill advisedly trading Chris Chelios many eons ago. You raise a very good point.

• Habfan10912 says:

True Peter. Society does the same to non athlete teenagers as well. Kind of harsh. Solid points.

• CynicalHabsfan says:

I know. It seems like some members of the media have labeled PK and Evander Kane as selfish players with “character issues” without any real justification. But these experts must know what they’re talking about. They’re paid to analyze hockey after all.
      I personally can’t think of any reason why some people would make unfair assumptions about these two talented young men…

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nathan Beaulieu did not “get(s) into a fight after a few pops”, he actually plead guilty to two counts of assault. Big difference.

Similarly, Evander Kane has more red flags in his dossier than just the Vegas picture. There’s the frequent practice he had of skipping out on restaurant tabs, which caused him to be called out on it at the Arena and on Twitter. He also picked up a or some speeding tickets and failed to deal with them, so that the team had to step in and take care of things for him so he didn’t lose his licence.

With your debating technique, I could excuse George Zimmerman for his disagreement with Trayvon Martin.

Look, your main point is well-taken, that some of these young men have made mistakes but can mature and outgrow them, but the way you minimize or distort or misrepresent the actual events detract from your points and your credibility.

And again, Nathan didn’t get into a fight, he attacked people who didn’t want to fight him, and plead guilty to that assault.

24. GGtheHab says:

I get that it is an open forum for hockey chat in general but Habs chat in particular, but can we please stop with the trade proposals…sure I would love to trade Bourque, Diaz and the Cube for Sidney Crosby as much as the next guy..but in the future please preface your suggestions by stating your previous GM experience..if you have none then please keep your fantasies to yourself or pull off those trades in cyberspace..
    We are in first place, but according to 2 leaf fans at work today there is no way we are as good as our record…correct me if I am wrong but I thought the purpose of a record was to establish your ranking..I am going to drink beer and put up the tree…

25. JM says:

Myself I would keep Bournival on the 2nd or 3rd line move Bourque to the 4th with Moen and Prust that would be a good 4th line. We can always move White and Parros in and out the 4th line. Just MO.

26. on2ndthought says:

Hey all! A good run is not a cup run. Not saying it won’t happen; but it won’t for at least five months. Settle down, settle in, and wait for the February games; when teams are trying to jockey for position and decide if they are sellers or buyers come March 5th.

Of course, MB will entertain trade talk, but don’t expect a first round pick to go the other way. Remember Burke, who thought his two first rounders would be low picks? A good GM doesn’t put too much faith in predictions.

Moulson is 30, and is basically Ryder with more drive to the net. Not bad, but don’t sell the farm.

Statsny is a rent-a-player we can compete for as an UFA this summer. Great fit with Chuchy and Eller: three guys who play big, and can center or wing. But, I think we’re dreaming here.

Kane will become a Hab the same day Cheveldayoff loses his job; MB will not give full value (Galchenyuk).

Anyway, I know this is fun, and I know MB is trying to swing one of those one-way trades that keep popping up hopefully here. I just don’t expect it to happen.

I just hope we are still buyers mid-February because THIS IS FUN!!!

“a cannonading drive”

27. Dave Jones says:

I’m not sure that we could get Evander Kane. If he really is available, lots of teams must be interested. But, no doubt, if you can get him, you should get him. He would be dynamite in the CH. I would trade Tinordi or Beaulieu for him. I assume you’d need at least a roster player, maybe two, plus a pick or two. This, of course, is where it’s tricky. Not interested in moving Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanec, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Prust, Subban, or Emelin. Hard to imagine prying a 22 year old signed power forward without at least one of these guys in the mix.

28. Propwash says:

Bergevin said “you’re always looking to improve your team” or something to that order. I’m pretty sure he will do just that.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• govenah says:

I like scooping up guys like Nevins. Building up the depth characters. Let see who else might be out there. We have some D replacements in the system. Unless another big winger really wants to come here and we can lose Bourque or Briere somehow. Two years from now we should be the team to beat.

Grind this.

29. Stuck_in_To. says:

Have not been keeping up with my HIO reading lately so apologies if Friedman’s 30 thoughts has already been gone over but being a huge Koivu fan I enjoyed this:

“6. Murray told me a great story about the team’s captaincy selection. The players voted and Getzlaf and Saku Koivu got the same number of first-place ballots. So they went to second-place selections and they tied again. Murray went to Koivu, who told him the team had to choose Getzlaf and promised to help. The new captain rose to the role.”

30. Edman says:

Why do so many people want a trade?

This team is playing right now like an Eastern Conference Championship Contender. 2 years ago we were bottom feeders in the east.

Getting Kane would not only cost us more than everyone thinks, but there goes the chemistry.

The only change we should want to see is the RFA/UFA status of a couple players (Eller, Subban, Markov, Murray, Diaz). Save the rest of the cap to sign UFA’s to fill the holes next year.

P.S.

Geroge Parros is really good friends with Matt Greene of the LA Kings, maybe if we re-sign Parros, he could tell Greene how great it is here and he will sign next year ;) Get on it Parros!

-Follow Me @EddieThoughts

31. Danno says:

Last night’s game was a clinic on how to win on an empty tank of gas

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

32. frontenac1 says:

What’s all this Evander Kane sh#t? The guy is a headcase. Stiffs waitresses. Screw him.

33. Bripro says:

The team has 17 of a possible 18 points, firing on all cylinders and still there are discussions of trade.
    1. MB has let it be known that he prefers to build through the draft
    2. I’m sure there are no panic buttons being pushed by the organization right no. Aside from contract negotiations, they’re focusing on the players they have.
    3. The team has shown that not only can they compete against the elite teams, they’re one of them.

…..Relax! Enjoy the ride.

• Habfan10912 says:

I really enjoyed some of the proposals to trade Patches for a big 30+ goal scorer. Kind of like trading a big 30+ goal scorer for a big 30+ goal scorer. Head scratched so much I have no hair left.

• JUST ME says:

I so agree with you ! There are no reason whatsoever to make a deal right now when we are on top of things and that the whole crew is responsible for the succes of the team.

Do not know what it will take for people to understand that Bergevin wants to build with draft picks from the farm team up and considering the state of the Bulldogs when he took over, it`s clearly a long term plan.

We have reached a new plateau and can say that our being within the best teams of the conference is not a fluke. We can hope that it goes on and that we left behind the era of getting to the playoffs through the backdoor . Not that anything is garanteed but we are going forward one step at a time and although we can say that we are one step behind the western division`s hockey machines, we have a guy in Bergevin being from there that knows what we need to improve.

34. Eddie says:

Why GMs don’t make big trades when their team is hot? Because the risk is too high that the trade will stop the winning, and even if it has nothing to do with the trade, the GM will be blamed for tampering with success.

Why the Habs will not touch Kane? Because he is not an established character player, he’s the opposite. High maintenance tough to coach.

Love Kane, but he would never fit on a team that depends on character. He belongs in New York on the Rangers.

35. habfan100 says:

I’d like to see the Habs acquire a gritty veteran defenseman in the off season. Scott Hannan would be a perfect fit in my opinion on our bottom d pairing next year. He’s going to be 35 in January, we can probably get him for $1.75M as he’s making $1M this year and severely underpaid. He’s on pace for 21 points playing on the third pairing in San Jose.

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Gorges
    Hannan – Tinordi

What do you guys think?

• Kooch7800 says:

Our D is pretty solid right now. I think it is our offense that needs more help personally.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• frontenac1 says:

Resign Crankshaft for one or two years. He takes care of Business. Let the Cube retire with dignity.

• on2ndthought says:

Why can you not see that the gem we found in the Swiss league belongs in the NHL. I’d go for Diaz – Tinordi light years ahead of Hannan. No knock on Hannan, but isn’t that the role we want for Tinordi?

“a cannonading drive”

36. DipsyDoodler says:

You cannot trade your unwanted players for Evander Kane.

Kane is a 4th choice who scored 30 goals as a 19 year old. He is only 22 (2 years and 9 months younger than Max, commandant – to be precise).

They will want a similar player in exchange – young and promising. Someone like Erik Gudbranson, or Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn, or maybe Nail Yakupov. That type of player.

We do not have that player to trade (we’re not trading Chuck).

• Stevie.Ray says:

I still think my trade proposal woudl be what it would take to get Kane:

Plekanec – A established, dependable, #1 center that could stabilize WPG down the middle and would be a leader on the team.
      Bourque – A streaky, but relatively dependable secondary scorer. Metis, which would be something the fans in WPG would appreciate.
      Collberg – A good offensive prospect with high potential.
      1st Round Pick – The holy grail of picks.
      With Bourque and Plekanec they get two players that can help their team now, and with Collberg and the first they get some future assets too.

In return:
      E. Kane – A potential 30+ goal scorer every year, which would put 3 30+ goal scoring wingers in our top six.
      A. Lowry – A big, two way player that put up strong numbers in the WHL last year.
      We get somebody that can help us now, and somebody that can help us later. Both address size and goal scoring.

But, I wouldn’t make this trade until I was 100% sure Eller can take over more shutdown responsibilities, and Galchenyuk was ready to move to Center.

• bwoar says:

Take out Lowry and you might have a chance. I enjoyed the “Metis, which would be something the fans in WPG would appreciate.” Funny!

Maybe replace Collberg with Tinordi and it might fly better. At least you recognize the need to give something back that will help the Jets immediately, I appreciate that much.

PS: am Metis.

“thoroughbred”

• Bill says:

I wouldn’t trade that much to get Kane. He’ just one player. Not a superstar. Not worth our best centre, a 20 goal winger, a desirable prospect, and a 1st round pick.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’m with Bill. Plekanic is an essential player. You might consider such a trade if you were not making the playoffs, but it’s not a good move for a good team.

Safe to say, it won’t happen.

• on2ndthought says:

leave Plek alone.

“a cannonading drive”

37. jamman says:

I think MB has done an exceptional job in general but especially drafting for us in his short two-year stint as our GM. I would like him to be patient and load up on picks; He knows what hes doing. There is only one regular in the line-up that was drafted by MB: Galchenyuk. Patience and drafting will be the key to us becoming a contender and remaining one IMO.

On another note did anyone see MB in that Mercedes commercial? Boss

Cheers all have a great weekend!

38. Kooch7800 says:

Next Year Cap projection is 70 million via Bob McKenzie. Should be more information next week

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

39. Phil C says:

With Bozak going on IR, Liles gets out of purgatory. He may actually help the Leafs to get out of their zone which has been one of their problems. They are still screwed down the middle though.

David Clarkson, 19 games played and 5 points despite playing 17 minutes a night. Seriously, how did this guy get over $5M a year? For the next seven years!!! Meanwhile Raymond is only making $1M and has 19 points.

40. AK_PK_Usay says:

In a previous post i said i would trade DD for Kane, to be honest, DD is not my main concern.

Mine is Gorges, he is far overpaid for what he brings. I would rather see Tinordi playing 15 min with Emelin, learning from what i find is the cleanest checker habs have had in last 15 years.

Gorges + sweetner for Kane…

Everyone would love Lucic be a hab… Kane has more offensive upside and comes from a family of boxers.

41. JF says:

All the recent speculation about trades strikes me as being a bit bizarre given how well the team is doing. I would not make any trade that would result in breaking up something that is working at the moment, like the pairing of Pacioretty and Desharnais, nor would I make any trade that might disrupt team chemistry or cause problems in the room. An example would be bringing in a player with question marks around his off-ice behaviour, a player like Evander Kane for example. In any case, the Jets would no doubt demand a couple of roster players, as well as picks or prospects for him. In fact, the only player I can think of whose departure would not disrupt chemistry and who could be fairly easily replaced is Rene Bourque. While I’m not saying Bourque is a disappointment given his cap-hit and so on, he runs hot and cold in terms of his involvement in games and he could be more physical. If we could exchange him for a similar player with a bit more consistency and sandpaper, I’d do that trade. But I think that’s about it.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Yes and no, you do not want to make drastic changes, however, when a player is playing on a hot streak, you want to sell while value is high.

I would take DD +1st round pick for Kane on the spot.

Winnipeg wont be so stupid.

The results could look like
      pacman gally gally
      kane eller bourque

When Komisareks value was above and beyond thanks to Markov, we should have signed him or sold him, same goes for Streit…

Having emotional attachments is futile, this is a business, never forget that.

DD will dissapear, as he has done EVERY other playoffs

Him being here is slowing down AGs progress becasue he cannot play at C.

• Phil C says:

I am hoping this slump that DD has fought through will also help him produce more in the playoffs. He must have a better understanding of what it takes to be successful now.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

That is a optimistic way of looking at it. Maybe maybe not, playoff hockey favors strong physical plays.

• Phil C says:

I don’t think playoff hockey discriminates on size. St. Louis and Briere have had great playoff careers, and they are both on the last page of the NHL size stats.

• on2ndthought says:

&^%$$%
        Where to start: oh yea, playoff stats “every other year”… umm that’s twice, short runs, bad runs … TEAM bad
        so 2 points in 10 games, yep that’s not good
        but: in AHL : 2 runs, one short, one Calder Cup: 27 points in 25 games
        in ECHL 33 points in 22 games

Please don’t expect to be able to say what you think is true without being able to back it up. Looking at those stats I’d say DD is a playoff performing who needs to prove it at the NHL level if the team he is on can make a run.

Is Price a bad playoff goalie because of what happened last year, or was that a disappointing run for the Habs?

“a cannonading drive”

42. JUST ME says:

Yes it is a well deserved day off. Number of games played in so little time is a bit too much. It explains that the injury rate rises cause then fatigue makes the player make mental mistakes that he would not usually do and puts himself in unusually dangerous situations.

The youth of our team is real precious in this situation. Yesterday Gallagher was going as if he was fresh as a flower. Impressive performance he was everywhere, in every situation and every face. That being said the whole team played real good and all the players deserve to be mentionned in the team`s succes.

43. twilighthours says:

Hey Phil P, you still here?

44. in habs we trust says:

I think it is time for J.J.to get some love for the job he is doing with the D.
    “R” Habs

45. Maritime Ronn says:

@ habs 001

If the Habs are healthy – meaning Top 4 Dmen and 7-8 of the Top 9 forwards + the great 4th line combo…and if Carey continues on, it would be very unwise to bet against the Habs in the Eastern Conference.

Last playoffs against Ottawa, our #10-12 forwards were any combo of Colby Armstrong-Jeff Halpern-Gabby Dumont-Mike Blunden.

Also last playoffs, the Habs had no Emelin or Murray and were top to bottom, soft and small and were manhandled with the exception of PK.

When a Diaz is playing #3 total minutes, and Bouillon is playing #5 minutes, and a raw rookie Tinordi is playing +13 minutes in the 6 spot during the tough and physical playoffs, that is a recipe for disaster….and it was.

Diaz is now perfectly positioned.
    A 3rd pairing in Even Strength with a guy like Murray that will watch out for him.
    His smarts and good puck control has him in the top 4 mix on the PK – a PK now ranked 3rd in the NHL

He is also a great 2nd wave, or insurance policy for the PP if Markov or Subban misses time.

His makeup was never meant to be a + 20 minute guy as was the case.
    He is now logging between 15-18 minutes and the Habs are better for that.

46. jsaz says:

I’d hate to see Kane in a habs jersey

47. FANHABULOUS says:

The rumors that MB is actively looking to upgrade has a lot of us talking trade scenarios. Although I’d be hesitant in making a major deal when the team is doing so well right now, I think its actually a great time for the Habs trade-wise because the value of almost everyone on the team is really high right now. I think we need one more sniper with some size/grit that can play on Eller’s wing (or maybe on Pleks wing, moving Bournival/Briere to the Eller line).

Anyhow, I would loooooove to see E. Kane as a Hab. He has EXACTLY what this team needs: scoring & sandpaper. So, what would it get to get him? Here is my proposal:

Kane is a 30-40 goal scorer. Lets say we start by giving them Bork… he gets you 20 goals almost every year. So the Jets get some of Kane’s scoring back, plus some relief on the cap hit. But of course, Bork is nowhere near the player Kane is. So here is what I would do:

Give the Jets 2 first round picks. I know, it sounds like waaay too much futures to give up, especially since MB says we build through the draft. But, really think about this for a minute.

The Habs are a good team, and with another sniper will be pretty damn good. The way we are going right now, next years 1st round pick will be from a low position in the first round. And assuming we progress the same way we have last year and this year, our other 1st rounder will also be a low round pick.

Kane is a young guy. He’s verging on becoming a real power forward in this league. So it’s as if we have fast-tracked one of those first round picks, and turned it into a 30-40 goal scoring power forward.

That’s it… I’d do that trade in a heartbeat. What do ya’ll say? Bork plus 2 firsts for Kane. Would you (or the Jets) do it?

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• shiram says:

Kane is not a 30-40 goal player, he scored exactly 30 goals in a season once.
      Not denying his skills or potential, but we have to be honest.
      Anyways
      2 firsts and Bourque for Kane makes for an interesting proposal, but I’m not so sure the Jets would go for it.

• knob says:

I would be concerned about the Habs ability to resign E. Kane though. They have to sign Markov (hopefully), Subban, and Eller at a minimum. E. Kane will be taxing on the salary cap.

• bwoar says:

Jets would never go for that. Ever. Seriously, the Kane proposals across the web are ludicrously bad.

“thoroughbred”

• FANHABULOUS says:

Seriously? I think most would agree that 2 firsts is an over-payment. Which is the only way the Jets would do this.

____________________________________
        “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Kooch7800 says:

The jets need to improve in the ‘now’ and not a few years down the road. They don’t need to trade Kane either. He is locked up long term and he is young and will only get better. The only way Kane is leaving is they get a deal that knocks there socks off.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• FANHABULOUS says:

Kooch…. I realize they dont HAVE to move him, but there are rumblings about him not getting along with the coach etc, and he’s been rumored to be on the trade block for a while now.

You have to agree that Bork PLUS two 1sts is the type of overpayment they might actually consider…2 firsts is nothing to sneeze at… unless they really want someone back to help them right now.

____________________________________
            “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• bwoar says:

^ ^ What Kooch said.

The thing is, The Jets would ask for Max Pac + a 1st and MB would hang up. There’s no deal here for either team. The Jets would very likely have to make a trade with a club who is selling off players in order for trading Kane to make sense. I highly doubt he will be moved.

“thoroughbred”

• Phil C says:

If the Jets were rebuilding, that deal would make more sense, but I get the feeling that franchise wants to win faster than that. As such, I would think they would want one or two good young players in return who could help them right away rather than draft picks. Something like the Schenn-Van Reimsdyk deal.

• bwoar says:

You know the score. Cheers Phil!

“thoroughbred”

• FANHABULOUS says:

I can understand that. If they want players that can help right NOW, then this deal makes no sense for them. But, the price (overall) is fair, I would say.

____________________________________
          “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Kooch7800 says:

of course I write a reply before seeing yours. You are 100% correct. They are looking to improve now and show their fans that they are trying to turn it around

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• huge_polar_bear says:

I would replace one of the first round picks with a prospect. Especially if we can give them Louis LeBlanc. He was a first round pick, and it looks like the Habs have no room for him (or no desire to make room for him). He could probably play on a 3rd line producing 10-15 goals a season, with potential for more. But in general, I would love to see Kane in a Habs uniform.

• The_Truth says:

Jets wouldn’t want anything to do with Leblanc. It would have to be Beaulieu or Tinordi. If LL could play on the 3rd line, scoring 10-15 goals or more, he would be on the team. I don’t think he is an NHL player and probably will never be.

• JUST ME says:

If there is one thing about Marc Bergevin`s plan that seems certain is the fact that giving away first round draft choices is out of the question…for now.

Although i agree that the value of each and every player on the roster is at it`s peek right now, i think that it is too early to make a significant move. I do not expect anything before the Olympics depending on how we do till then and/*or the state of the injury list.

I do not think that Bergevin should go all in for a maybe we have a chance now. I would rather build a team on a long term plan with many years of a solid organization. Draft choices should be kept cause they are our future. If needed though we have to be mature enough to be ready to give away something that is important for us right now if we want to get something of equal importance.

• Habsrule1 says:

I would do it. Doesn’t hurt our line-up at all, and Kane has already scored 30 goals.

I wonder if the Jets would do it. The thing is our 1st round picks are not going to be top 20.

Go Habs Go!!

• piper says:

Agree, not sure Jets would give up a 22 year old power forward for 2 middle of the first round picks. I think it’s a crapshoot after the top 10.
        IMO the Habs are overachiving a bit right now (mainly due to Price) and still need some changes to be a true contender and a power forward is tops on the list of needs.

• HabsWin-nipeg says:

The problem with this scenario is two-fold:
      1. Habs lose 2 first round draft picks
      2. The Jets don’t get enough immediate help back. Yes they are in a patient build through the draft mode, but they also have a fan base that is already frustrated with the team. Management would take an absolute beating if they made a deal like this.

Kane is a bit of a head case. He doesn’t care one bit about what anyone (fans, coaches, management) think about him. No denying his talent, and upside, but I wonder how long it would take for Therrien to rub him the wrong way.

• Forum Dog says:

I don’t like the idea of giving up two first rounders, but a having Pacioretty and Kane as the top two LW on this team would be pretty amazing on a go-forward basis.

Imagine how hard it would be to defend a combo of Galchenyuk and Kane in about 2 years time….

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Did you pick this proposal up from a Leafs fan? Just wondering – seems like a move they have made numerous times in past.

Never ever give up your 1st round pick, and if you still do despite the liklihood of consequence, then don’t make the same mistake for a second consecutive year.

Do you recall MB saying how this team would be built as a contender for years to come “I’m here to build for the future, and the future is draft choices and player development,”

• Dave Jones says:

I agree it’s risky to trade away first round picks, and should generally be avoided. But I’m not sure I learned the lesson from the Leafs that you should absolutely never do it. Actually, I think we should learn precisely when not to do it–when you’re rebuilding. Had the Leafs been on the cusp, moving those top picks for Kessel would not have ultimately meant moving Seguin and Hamilton for Kessel, because those picks would have been much later. And the impact Kessel could have had coming in to help a top tier team versus a team struggling to make the playoffs would likely have been very different. In other words, learning from the Leafs, do not trade first round picks when you are rebuilding, regardless of the player you can get for them (it is shocking that they did not understand this!). But, can you move those picks when you’re ready to contend? That seems at least a different matter.

Admittedly, I am biased. Evander Kane is one of my favourite young players in the league. He is, in my opinion, the exact type of player that a team needs to win in 2013 and beyond. Big, with speed and high skill. In other words, the exact player you always need to win in this sport. Pacioretty is like it, so no sense trading him to bring in Kane. Tinordi or Beaulieu seem like the sort of prospects that could make it happen–and I would be okay with that.

48. shiram says:

Even if I don’t feel the hatred Cammy got here when he was traded was warranted, I think he learned a lesson from that.
    He was very humble about the captaincy in Calgary and vouched for Giordanno as the C.

That said, I would not go after him, he’s likely to be an expensive rental. Brière is supposed to be Superman come the playoffs, let’s see what he can for us.

• knob says:

Apart from the apparent weakness when it comes to playing defence, Briere has looked good of late. I like him with Pleks and Gionta. MT likes to use Pleks and Gionta as shutdown forwards however. Briere is kinda in no-mans land on this team. I hope that MT can find a way to give him regular shifts.

• The_Truth says:

Briere has looked ok, but the coach is really protecting him and he seems to be more of an early game player. He only played like 10mins last night. I don’t like him being signed through next season.

• JUST ME says:

I really really liked Cammy and still do . Things changed though and knowing that Cammy is a high maintenance type of player that comes with it`s price tag , i think that we should look elsewhere when and if it is necessary to find help.

49. montreal ace says:

I like the fact the press keeps talking about MB looking for trades, keeps the team on their toes.

50. Maritime Ronn says:

Re the concerns about Markov breaking down/tiring out.
    Please don’t worry.

Watch Markov closely when he’s on the ice.
    He doesn’t skate needlessly, and because there is little physicality to his game, there is also less energy spent.

If later on in the year the Habs are secure with a playoff spot, Coach T. may begin to lessen his minutes.

Markov is also a competitor and a fierce warrior and he wants to play.

He is also a respected guy in the room and in the coach’s eyes.
    He has the ear of the coaches, and can directly communicate with them if he senses at all that he’s tiring.

Also remember that in the last 4 seasons before this one, he only played in 115 games (+ KHL) thus avoiding a lot of wear and tear on his body…and since 2006, he has only played in 31 playoff games.

Now compare that to…Chara as an example.

Markov is 34, Chara is 36.

Last 4 years;

Markov NHL games played: 115
    Chara NHL games played: 278

Markov Playoff games:……….13
    Chara Playoff games played: 56

• knob says:

Markov is essential to the success of this team. Once we have locked up our position (can’t do better, can’t do worse) I do hope MT scales back Markov’s ice time a bit.

• Forum Dog says:

Love Markov, and there is no questioning his value to the team. Playing with Subban helps him a lot though, especially when it comes to miles skated…..

The fact that he hasn’t played as much over the last couple of years is true, but it is also factual to say that he has undergone 3 major knee surgeries during that same period of time. So while he may have avoided some general “wear and tear”, he has suffered some damage that will never truly go away.

He looks like he is back to his old self now, but I always remind myself that he is playing with the reigning Norris trophy winner who is 24 years old and about as boundless and rambunctious as they come.

51. habs001 says:

As mentioned before we should enjoy the regular season and remember that it is a very good accomplishment to make the playoffs and even better if they win their division or conference…The playoff loss llike last year should not take anything away from their season…Now the reality is that the first round again this year will be a toss up…Most Hab games are very close and the Habs are not a dominant team..so in the playoffs couple of bad goals,breaks,injuries or slumps can determine a series…Fans should not be suprised if the Habs finish high in the standings and get beaten in the first round or have a long playoff run…

• Phil C says:

No team is dominant. The Habs have beaten Pittsburgh and Boston on this run. What you are saying is true for any team. As such, if they can arrive on 13 Apr as healthy as they are now, they have as good a shot as any team.

• Mustang says:

The thing that worries me about the playoffs is that the refs put their whistles in their pockets and also change the rule books. The thugs like Boston can bang and slam all they want and not take many penalties, if any. This type of play tends to wear down smaller, faster teams like Montreal. Having said that, I hope the Habs can go deep into the playoffs.

• habsr4ever says:

Hello. I am a long time reader and first time poster to habsinside out. I am from Calgary and I know I am one of thousands in our city here. Simply love reading the posts after games and what people think needs to be done to the mighty CH.
      My take.
      Desharnais and Bouillon need to go. Its obvious out West just like it is in Montreal. Sell HIGH on DD. He is playing like he did before he signed that FAT over bloated contract. I do tip my hat to DD for gonig thru what he has been even though he brought on the “heat” on his own cuz he simply SUCKED. Still can’t believe MB did that contract. I am a fan of MB but he had a brain cramp now admit the mistake and move him. Easier said than done I know.
      Habs still need size up front. I keep hearing Beaulieu is going to be a bust from people I know who see him regularly in Hamilton. He’ll bring O from the backend but has too many brain farts in his own zone. To be honest I am not sure. What I have seen of him so far on TV – he is soft yes – but man can he move that puck and can he ever skate. He has a solid shot as well. I would hate to give away an offensive Dman with Markov at the age he is. So not sure I would give up on him just yet unless of course we could land something BIG.
      And sorry – when I say BIG – I am not talking Paul Stastny a pending UFA who is going to land a FAT pay day in July. Over rated player. Good player don’t get me wrong but sorry he can sign and play some place else. The Avs can keep him. Too soft – Patty Roy and Sakic can deal with him in the off-season. Avs are going to start to sink further and further unless they shore up their D. Book it. The loss last night in Edmonton is a sign of things to come.

I am not a fan of trading draft picks at all. We have lots of prospects in our piggy bank now and it sure is nice to have. Win/build thru the draft is the ONLY way to go and then load up in the UFA or trade market when we are close. We have many prospects on the back end so I am thinking the Alberta team to the North would bite on some of our D prospects. MacT is getting itchy feet to make a splash.
      I am sure we could pry Yakupov out of Edmonton. Galchenyuk and him for 10+ years would be so sweet.
      The blockbuster rumblings in Edmonton is Perron and Yakupov coming to the CH. Gallagher (Sherwood Park) Bourque (Lac La Biche) Beaulieu Diaz Thrower are names going the other way. Personally I don’t think it would happen as deals THAT BIG don’t happen in mid season. Just thought I would add some fuel to the fire. Would the habs trade Gallagher? Gosh I hope not. Size is great but this guy is an energizer bunny who everyone loves. We need to give up something to get get something though. For those people dreaming that we can just move DD and other little parts and land a BIG part – forget it. With Perron being so hot right now – can’t see the Oilers moving him any how. Just say’in. The rumor mill sure is turning here before the Xmas trade freeze. MacT is in the middle of MANY of them.
      I hear Winnipeg would take on DD but we would have to give up more than DD obviously to land Kane. Strong rumors surrounding Kane and the team that is in the mix are our Habs. Jets were linked to Louis Leblanc last year and they made a run for Prust when he was a UFA as well. I certainly would package these three together to land Kane. Not sure if it is enough though. I would hate to throw in a 2nd rounder but if it means landing Evander Kane I would go for it. His time is up in Winnipeg. There is baggage there so we won’t have to give up the MOON to get him either.

Bottom line if we want to be serious contenders we need to start adding size. The team is on a great ride right now – messing with team chemistry sucks but does anybody really think we can beat a Western team in the finals any how? We need to think big. Just We are on our way but we need a Perron and/or a Yakupov (we do need a sniper obviously) and/or a Kane to add SIZE and GRIT to our solid pieces in place (Scoobey Doo, Price, Pacman, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and I would keep Markov for 2 more years – NO brainer). We need more young studs with size in our line up period. Bruins will eat us up in the playoffs and even though we hate to admit it (trust me I can’t stand the B’s – even typing the word gives me a rash) – they are built for 16 W’s in the season that matters and we are NOT……..yet any how. But we are getting there. Yakupov can finish….will he dig in the corners and stand in front of the net like Gallagher? – no way no how. But think about Kane Galchenyuk and Yakupov. Pacman Eller Perron. Plekanec Bournival Briere (not a Danny B fan but we are stuck with him for another year yet). Moen White Parros or Holland or Dumont. Our D is still fine cuz we have Tinordi coming along as well. Diaz is expendible. Sure we lose Offense but in the playoffs Tinordi against the Sens more than held his own…He is ready. We can always sign a UFA 6/7 dman in the off-season……just not Bouillon….heck I would sign Murray again – he is slow but man is he tough and he clears the crease. Exactly what we need. Tinordi is pretty much ready for FULL time in the BIGS. Next year he will be for sure.

Ok enough for one day.

52. Bill says:

Sportfan: they can make a trade whenever. They can make two moves.

First need is a sniper. I’m all for sending a draft pick and a prospect for Cammaleri or Jagr or Moulson.

Second need is depth on defence. Everything is fine now, but an injury on D will have very bad results. It would be advisable to pick up a #4 Dman, and I would use Bourque to acquire one.

• shiram says:

We’d sit 2 of Bouillon/Diaz/Murray if we get another D, no?

• bwoar says:

If we send both a draft pick and a prospect anywhere for Cammaleri or Jagr I’m off the MB bandwagon for good.

Moulson, signed, sure. Otherwise, yuck.

EDIT: also, f*** Mike Cammaleri.

“thoroughbred”

• FANHABULOUS says:

I agree…DO NOT bring Cammy back. The chemistry in the room is beautiful (as far as anyone can see), and bringing him back may mess that up. He’s too much of a “look at me” kinda guy.

But, I would be all for moving draft picks for a hockey trade (a signed Moulson for example). Besides, if we upgrade I’d like a guy with some size and grit to go with his scoring.

____________________________________
        “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• The Jackal says:

No way, he’s been good in Calgary and was a leader here.
          He’s doing a good job back in Calgary, scoring goals and being a leader for the young team there.
          The only reservation is his size, as we already have 4 small key forwards, so that’s the main thing. I’d gladly have him back here.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• The Jackal says:

Nah man you’re being too harsh on Squid.
        He’s awesome and was great for us.
        He just said what was on his mind and its not like it was not true – the Habs had a loser mentality and that’s why the new management came in guns blazing trying to extirpate it and instil a winning mentality driven by character players.

Anyway… the only thing with Squid is he is another small player, but his goals would be very welcome.

Not sure about Moulson, to me he remains a scorer by association but I haven’t seen him play much. If he truly is a scorer then I’d be down to acquire him.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habs001 says:

#4 d would be perfect for the playoff…i still say that one of the Hamilton big 3 should be worked into the lineup..

• IdleNoMore says:

Cammaleri lol. Bill thanks for the laff

“He was chewing Juicy Fruit gum, I didn’t know whether to shake his hand or kiss him”

• 24 Cups says:

Jagr didn’t score a goal in 20 playoff games last year. He, along with Seguin, is why the Bruins lost a Cup that was easily within their grasp.

• The_Truth says:

Jagr is one of the most professional players in the league and can play. He’s proven it this year. He wasn’t bad in the playoffs last year and if we are holding on to Briere’s playoff past, Jagr has an even better one. His experience alone and chemistry with Pleks would be worth acquiring if the price isn’t too steep.We all know he has been wanting to play in Montreal for years and I am sure he would do well in this atmosphere.

• Bill says:

Jagr can still score. I don’t know what happened with the Bruins last year, but it was pretty uncharacteristic for Jagr, who is a good playoff guy.

If the Devils are out of the hunt he could be had for a 2nd rounder and a decent prospect.

If the Habs are still cruising I would definitely go for it. Do you want to make a Cup run or not?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• The_Truth says:

For a rental, I’m all for Jagr if we can’t land anyone else. Don’t think it would cost that much.

Moulson would be expensive and considering the Sabres gave up Vanek for him, the only way we should trade for him is if we are commited to a signing. You have to imagine he will want 6 million per year long term. He would be a nice fit though, considering it’s doubtful Gionta will be back next season. I seriously consider a trade.

Cammy isn’t a MT kind of player and won’t be resigned long term, so not worth the rental fee.

I really like Steve Ott and feel he is a playoff kind of guy we need (if he can move to the wing). Kind of like Prust but more skilled offensively. An Ott/Moulson package, could push this team into contender territory I think. It’s going to cost big time though.

• knob says:

I would support a move for Jagr. Jagr did not produce points in the 2 game series we just had with NJ but he still was something else (in a good way) with the puck.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Moulson is 30 years old and a steady 30 goal scorer. If we traded for him it would be with the idea of re-signing him. I think that would be a great deal.

Jagr is done.

I was always a fan of Cammy but wouldn’t give any more than Leblanc.

53. Eddie says:

Here’s a thought. If the Habs trade for Stastny don’t be surprised if Roy and Sakic ask for Fucale as part of the package going the other way.

You heard it here first.

54. Sportfan says:

Well deserved break for these guys. Should the Habs make a trade now if there really have been talks with teams? Or should they just leave the team alone, so they don’t effect the chemistry and character?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• huge_polar_bear says:

I think this is the perfect time for a trade. My reasoning is that since the team is playing well the value of the Habs’ players is a little higher. There is also less pressure to make a deal, so MB can be patient and listen to all the offers, since there is no fire under him to improve the team. Chemistry is important, but standing pat does not always translate to long term success. I think MB should be working the phones hard right now. I also want him to continue with his “don’t trade away the future” mantra. So if he is looking at a trade it should be for a player that can become a part of our core. No need to trade for someone who will be gone by next summer.

55. Bill says:

Anyone going to the Habs/Panthers game on the 6th?

56. Bill says:

Bwoar: Markov has still got it, and he cannot be replaced for any less. I would do three and hope he keeps up his Nick Lidstrom routine.

• bwoar says:

Eh, #79′s been my favorite “current” Hab forever. During the lockout I championed Markov-Subban as a pairing. No one will agree with you more about signing him, but with margins being what they are, that word “hope” really, really makes me nervous. I remember Gauthier signing him to a deal hoping his knee was healed… he’s still my guy and I want to see him signed but that 3rd year is a serious risk.

I’d be hoping (there’s that word again) he’d take 6 for all three years. I know, it seems like quibbling, but the cap’s gonna tight on us really quick & I don’t buy all the rosy projections of it going up so high. The CDN dollar won’t hold IMO.

“thoroughbred”

57. Bill says:

I agree with you Timo.

58. Bill says:

Subban: 8 years at 8.5

Markov: 3 years at 6.5

59. Bill says:

Kevin: exactly. It was a weird game by the Bruins. Usually they are dishing out hits and cheap shots at any opportunity.

Remember a few years ago when the Bruins jumped every Hab in the ice after a late-game puck drop? It was a disgusting display given the the Habs had a skill line out at the time.

For all those who are still feeling Boychuk’s pain and writing in their diaries about it, I believe it was Boychuk who jumped Spacek that game.

60. commandant says:

For those suggesting Markov is going to break down in the second half, keep the following in mind.

1) Markov had not played a full season since 2008-09. It took him time to build up his endurance, just like a college kid hits a wall after playing 4 years of 40 games per year when he hits game 65 or 70 as an AHL or NHL rookie

2) Markov played 75 games last year (including KHL)… not the “shortened season” that we keep bringing up.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

61. Bill says:

I have to be totally honest. I still don’t feel bad for Boychuk. Maybe I need to see a professional for my Bruins hate.

I wish it had been Chara instead of Boychuk … is that better, or worse?

62. Bill says:

Timo: I think Dr. Recchi is waiting to see if Boychuk goes to a movie or tweets anything in the next week. Those are the clearest signs of faking an injury, medically speaking of course.

63. Bill says:

To be fair, the Bruins were pretty reasonable in their response to the incident. Even the Boston media were restrained. The fans? Not so much. Although the tweets about Subban were by far more vile.

• Kevin says:

I found the game a little strange, didn’t seem like the Bruins at all. I expected them to come out hitting everything in sight, especially knowing that the teams was tired. Then after max’s hit, no real response? In the past they would have been all over Patches whether the hit was justified or not.

64. Thurston says:

I just noticed that after tomorrow night’s game, the Canadiens have three straight Saturday night road games (@NYI Dec. 14, @Nashville Dec. 21, @Tampa Bay Dec. 28).
    That just doesn’t seem right.

65. Bill says:

It was nice of Max and Carey and the rest of the Habs to express remorse and regret – certainly I was in no mood to – and nice of te fans to clap Boychuk off.

But yeah, it was in stark contrast to the “hockey play” and “embellishment” comments made by the Bruins after Pacioretty himself nearly died in a far more malicious incident.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Exactly… a big difference between us and them.

As was mentioned below:

Habs = Class

Bruins = Goons

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

66. Iceberg84 says:

Interesting stat: The Canadiens lead the league so far this season in games played, wins, and points when leading after 2 with a 17-0-2 record. I suppose it just means that when the Habs have a lead, they’re better than others at protecting it. Though it also speaks to their newfound superiority in the second period, something I think they’ve lacked in recent years.

• careysubban3176 says:

Your absolutely right on that one. There 2nd period always sucked because I think they were scared to be aggressive and pinch due to long change

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

67. Propwash says:

I loved how Subban was pissing off Marchand the whole night.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

Why does Pacioretty feel so terrible for Boychuk? I don’t remember Bruins expressing any sympathy for him when his injury was far worse.

What’s the status on Boychuck anyway? Can’t be too bad since her was released from hospital yesterday. What a wuss.

69. RAM_TOUGH says:

Price is 1st in SAV% & 3rd in GAA based on tenders who have played 23 games

Guts-Glory-Ram

70. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

If the Habs have had the second-best record in the East over the past two (half) seasons, Michel Therrien is clearly doing a terrible job and he should be fired at once!

Oh no, wait… I mean, Wow! Go Habs!

Here’s to having nothing to complain about!

71. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Sixth!

72. Habfun says:

If they are 8-0-1 shouldn’t that read 17 of 18 points!
    Man I slept like a baby last night!
    Good times!!
    Don’t you just love this kind of hockey!!!!

It\\\’s all about the CH

73. D Mex says:

Appears you are ⇓ congrats …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

74. DipsyDoodler says:

So under Therrien we have the second best record in the East over the last 2 seasons.

• Strummer says:

True that.
      However to paraphrase Carey Price “They don’t hang Conference runner-up banners here”

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

75. donmarco says:

First?

My life is complete.

76. Habs4LifeInTO says:

Thank you, hadn’t seen that before. The team seemed to appreciate Murray’s effort against Scott. Murray seems like a very good team mate and a good character player for sure. I like that we picked him up. Thanks for posting this habsolutely!

24 cups and counting….