Habs’ Gallagher won’t be cheering for Bruins in Cup final

Who is the Canadiens’ Brendan Gallagher cheering for in the Stanley Cup final?

“I don’t want to see Boston win,” Gallagher told Elliott Pap of Postmedia News.

Gallagher, who works out with the Bruins’ Milan Lucic during the offseason, added that the reason he’d rather see the Chicago Blackhawks win the Cup has to do with the bitter Boston-Montreal rivalry.

“I mean, I’m happy for Lootch and I’m glad he’s doing well,” Gallagher said. “But I just don’t want to see Boston win.”

Gallagher said he wishes Lucic all the best in everything except winning another Cup.

Gallagher must have been happy after Game 1 of the Cup final, which ended early Thursday morning with the Blackhawks’ Andrew Shaw scoring on a double deflection at 12:08 of the third overtime period for a 4-3 win over the Bruins.

Game 2 of the Cup final is Saturday night in Chicago (8 p.m., CBC, RDS).

(Photo by Alex Trautwig/Getty Images)

Bitter Montreal-Boston rivalry leaves Gallagher cheering for Blackhawks, Postmedia News

Blackhawks beat Bruins in triple OT, NHL.com

Blackhawks down Bruins in Game 1, montrealgazette.com

Game 1 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Melanson expresses interest in Habs job while calling out Price, by Vancouver Province

Lucic provides power for surging Bruins, montrealgazette.com

A Cup of cracked mirror images, by Bruce Arthur of Postmedia News

Bruins, Blackhawks in first Original Six Cup final since 1979, montrealgazette.com

Five major storylines to watch in Cup final, montrealgazette.com

Rask gives Bruins edge over Blackhawks in Cup final, montrealgazette.com

Esposito brothers split on how much Boston-Chicago final means, torontosun.com

Iconic Blackhawks photo gallery, si.com

Iconic Bruins photo gallery, si.com

Pretty good game so far.

2. Hobie Hansen says:

Stallberg out to add more toughness?

What are they thinking?

3. EricInStL says:

Boston has to score first in order to calm that Madhouse. If Chicago scores early it could be a monsoon of goals….

I want to see a speedy + hard hitting game. Might get it.

4. Habfan17 says:

Does anyone have the link to an article that was a special to the Gazette on Feb 6th this year. It was about the 1970-71, Loyola Park Mosquito Canadiens Hockey Champions. I was on that team and I would love to read it.
    Habfan17

Healy: “Chara is too physical. Kane gotta slide in the back way”

That could make JT’s homoerotic comment of the night.

LOL, hockey players. Dur, dur dur. :)
    That “My favorite player growing up” segment gave me a good chuckle.

I find that I am surprisingly indifferent whether Bruins win the cup or not. Why is that?

• Mon Can Fan says:

Probably because you don’t live in New England, surrounded by Bruin fans!

• Habfan10912 says:

Maybe because they haven’t broken any necks, flipped the bird, or hit anyone repeatedly with their elbow pad this season. :)

• Un Canadien errant says:

I really really want Chicago to win, and don’t want Zdeno Chara or Brad Marchand or Claude Julien or Jeremy Jacobs anywhere near the Cup, but the damage has already been done. Two years ago we were set to eliminate them from the playoffs, as we’ve almost unfailingly done in my lifetime, and let them off the hook in OT of Game 7. They were given the Cup subsequently. We can’t undo that.

So now the stakes are much lower. If it happens, it’s just another one of life’s tragic disappointments, nothing special.

Kind of like this year, when the Ravens, with murderer Ray Lewis at the forefront, won the Super Bowl, again. A great cosmic injustice, but what are you going to do…

Man, interview with hockey players sound so idiotic. Stupid questions followed by stupid answered. What possible value and information did viewers just obtain that wasn’t “no shit” kind of revelation?

9. Mon Can Fan says:

Man do I loathe the Bruins! GO HAWKS!!!!!!!
    (I still blame the Laffs for this mess!)

10. Maritime Ron says:

Looks like the Flyers have acquired the exclusive rights to negotiate with Islanders UFA Mark Streit until July 4th, in exchange for a 4th round draft pick next year and prospect Shane Harper

11. frontenac1 says:

Congrats Commandant! Keep up the good work amigo!

12. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

There has been talk about the Habs possibly moving up. How about possibly moving down if they were offered two 2nd rounders for their first? Maybe the players they will have targeted in the first round are not there when they pick? Just hypothesizing…

• HabFab says:

In all honesty this draft is so deep, there are plenty of good options for each of those spots.

• Mark C says:

Maybe, but one of those picks need to be early in the second.

• mksness says:

the habs could do this if some players they held in high regard fall in which they think they can get “more” value for their first round pick.

It’s really hard to say because it depends on who the habs have targeted and they who is available at the time they draft.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, one would have to be a high second rounder. I am not sure which other teams have multiple second round picks. If it were a team, say Chicago, then maybe their first and Kyle Beach!

Habfan17

• ont fan says:

Buffalo, Dallas, San Jose 3, Winnipeg, Edmonton would be your partners.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In the RDS interview with Trevor Timmins, he felt that moving up was a definite possibility, but that trading down was unlikely, and he mentioned the 50 contract limit as a factor. So they’re getting to the point where they slowly need to start thinking about quality over quantity. Which is good news I guess.

13. Sportfan says:

Can someone explain to me what exactly is going on with the Coyotes why is it so hard to make a deal….

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• commandant says:

The old city council had made deals with groups like Ice Edge and Hulsizer. These were sweetheart deals with very cheap rent and the city even paying Ice Edge and Hulsizer “arena management fees”

Unfortunately those groups couldn’t come up with the money to buy the team.

Now we have a group who apparently has the money, but we had elections in Glendale, and the old City Council got booted. The new mayor and council have said no discounts, no sweetheart deals, no management fees. They want a contract where the city isn’t paying the coyotes to be there. So the negotiations are harder.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

14. HabFab says:

NHL playing “hardball” or “chicken” with Glendale over the Coyotes from the story that never ends;

15. Hobie Hansen says:

Montreal has to sign Bickell.

• HabFab says:

Is he worth 7 years at $4,000,000 per?

• Habilis says:

Pass.

He will be grossly overpaid and he really hasn’t proven anything yet. One great playoff performance does not a hockey career make.

• Hobie Hansen says:

OK, another early round exit or playoff miss it is!

• commandant says:

and Bryan Bickell is the difference between missing the playoffs and winning the cup?

If thats true, he’s probably worth 10 mill per season.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Chicago would be golfing right now if it weren’t for Bickell.

I think he’s a pretty valuable piece. Or we can just roll the old Smurfs out again and see what happens?

Guaranteed Bergevin is salivating over the chance to sign him.

It’s not just goals or points that count. Bickell would go a long way in helping the image and mentality of the team.

People keep saying they want a big, tough player who does more than fight and play on the 4th line…BINGO!

Then, when ones comes around they complain about how expensive he is or that he’s not that good…

• commandant says:

I agree a gritty forward who goes to the net is needed, and Bickell (At the right price) fits that bill. But you can’t go crazy either.

I might even over pay for Bickell 3.5 per year for 4 years or something.

But I wouldn’t go insane on him either, he’s still a 15-20 goal guy. If it costs too much, you might have to look elsewhere for this type of player.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• HabFab says:

@commandant – agree 100%. DD type contract which is why I don’t think we will be successful. The Blackhawks have a couple of obvious amnesty buy-outs that will free up money for them to re-sign him.

• HabFab says:

Every team needs a Bickell and after having made around $2,000,000 for his first 7 years of Pro…this maybe his only chance for a big contract.

• Habilis says:

Do you really think that Bickell will make the difference between that happening or not?

If we were talking about Kopitar or Lucic, I would agree with you. But Bickell, IMHO, is a “second tier” power forward at best.

Granted, I could very well be wrong and this could be Bickell’s coming out party, a performance that launches him into that top tier. But it’s pretty rare for that to occur at 27 years old.

For now though, I’m just not sold on him as a 4 million dollar player, which is about what I think it would take to land him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The seven year contact is crazy. I’d take him at $4 million for four or possibly five, if it came to that.

But with the cap going down, I don’t think his contract is going to be as high as you think.

And if it were Lucic or Kopitar you’d be paying double.

• HardHabits says:

No they don’t. They need to draft him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Tell that to Timmins, that he can draft a forward over 6′.

• Mark C says:

Didn’t he draft three over six feet last year?

• Bill says:

Timmins rarely drafts players under 6 feet.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Hobie Hansen says:

YA, he sure has a lot of young 6’3 power forwards in our system right now!

He’s done a heck of a job with the defence and found some good forwards but is missing a key ingredient. Grit, size and toughness up front.

• commandant says:

We’ve never drafted any player under 6’0 in the first round since Timmins was hired.

We’ve only drafted 2 seconds, and 2 thirds who were under 6’0 and both were 5’11.

The issue is that guys like Guillaime Latendresse, David Fisher, Kyle Chipchura, Max Lapierre, all failed in Montreal for various reasons.

Which should tell you… while size may be needed.. there are other factors… character, grit, skill, that come into play and its more than just pure height.

Give me a Tomas Holmstrom or Scott Stevens who barely crack 6’0 any day over a guy like Pouliot or Latendresse who are bigger.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• ont fan says:

And which team has drafted a lot of 6′ 3 power forwards recently, that are going to take on Chara and Lucic?

16. HabFab says:

Pierre LeBrun – Bettman said they’ve chosen new division names for re-alignment next season but won’t announce it until next month

Please Chicago!! do not let the Boston beans gas you!!

18. commandant says:

A bit of a Celebration tonight, as we’ve officially published our 2000th ever article, which is a look at the top 5 most read articles amongst the first 1999.

4 of our most read are hockey.
    3 are directly related to the Montreal Canadiens.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

19. jedimyrmidon says:

So in commandant’s excellent Mock Draft, he says in the comment section that to go from the 25th pick to 10-13, it might cost #25, 34 and 36.

That seems much too high a price to be paid especially when the 2nd round where it’s not far-fetched to think that you could reasonably pick up an excellent player… especially since picks #34 and #36 are also very high 2nd rounders: it would normally be very difficult to pry away these 2nd rounders from teams seeing as they’re close to the traditional Lottery pick position.

Habs should keep all their picks. Go for the home run draft that will elevate the franchise.

• mksness says:

that could be very likely because the draft doesn’t promise you a player. statistically a first round player has a greater chance of making it than a second rounder.

Great talent can be found in every round. however, for every homerun you hit in the later rounds you usually have a bunch of guys who don’t make it even to the ahl.

If the habs have their eye on someone i would think it reasonable to move up but nothing right now indicates that they will. I have yet to hear any reports on them being high on certain players in the first round or talk about moving up as being a priority of theirs

• jedimyrmidon says:

Thing is, the 2nd round (especially picks $30-40) shouldn’t be viewed a the ‘later round’ (e.g. 4th round).

There is a good chance that you can snag a very good player there such as the players’ whose stock falls near draft day, but could very well turn out to be high caliber players.

I’d say having #25, 34, #36 gives you a better chance of getting a high impact player than one pick at #14.

Would I trade #25, #34 and #36 to get the #10 pick? Maybe. Would I trade them to get to #15. No way.

• Mark C says:

Correct. Do. Not. Move. Up. This. Year. The scuttlebutt is there could be up to 45 first round talents this year, keep all the picks a look to hit a few home runs.

20. MC4Ever says:

Habs needs to get rid of more than Ryder if they wanna make the playoffs next year.

21. JohnBellyful says:

@Fransaskois
    Thanks for the info re: book.
    Is this a good time to ask for a small loan?

22. Hobie Hansen says:

Cool to hear that Gallagher works out with Lucic over the summer. As much as I hate Lucic when the Habs play the Bruins, I’ve gained a lot of respect for him over these playoffs.

He plays the game the right way. Nothing wrong with finishing hits, imposing your will on other teams and even being a tad dirty on occasion. Not to mention he’s very well spoken and shows class in all his interviews by giving respect to his opponents. 29 other teams would go through a wall to have him on their team.

In saying that, Montreal better find a guy this summer that can stand in there with him when he starts taunting and slapping our guys around. Prust is more than willing but the odds aren’t great when those two lineup.

• Le Jadester says:

Sad but true.
      I agree.

I was so happy when Prustie fed it to him this year!
      I thought it was a draw.
      Too bad Moen couldn’t do that?

Habs, OLE !

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think Prust landed a punch in that fight but did a good job of not getting his ass kicked. Lots of wrestling.

• piper says:

I’ve mentioned it before but the Habs should hire Darren Langdon to teach some of these guys how to not loose fights. Not talking about Prust, he knows what he’s doing.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I kind of agree also. I think Game 7 vs Toronto was his.

However, to put a sting in the compliment, I will say that perhaps he looks EVEN BETTER in these playoffs because of the contrast with how badly he STANK in the last month of the season!

I wrote him off — maybe becoming a father? Also Chara, who looked his years and looked tired. And Horton and Krejci were doing nothing…

(Why I’m very nervous for the Hawks…)

(Also why no one should take seriously ANYTHING I post here!)

Cheers

23. frontenac1 says:

Sure,vote Hawks. Burn a Bruin flag too! Screw “em! Saludos!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha! Reminds me! When we were kids, my brother and I used to hang an old mannequin in a Bruins jersey from the balcony and BEAT it with hockey sticks.

(Yes, that was very bad. We had to stop when next door complained, said it was disturbing. We were small, watched too much violent tv…)

24. jphk says:

On the buy-out thing, why was Kaberle not bought out at the beginning of the year, like Gomez? Truly, I don’t understand the waiting period if this was the intention from the beginning. Anybody can explain?

• HabFab says:

Buy out was not to be until summer so the Habs and Rangers decided to send Gomez and Redden home until then. The NHLPA started to file a grievance so a compromise was quickly worked out to allow early buy-outs for those players.

• Habfan17 says:

They only allowed one buyout then. The NHLPA was upset that Gomez was told not to show up, h would not be playing. Sp to appease them, they allowed the Habs and one other team to buy out one player each.

Habfan17

25. twilighthours says:

Alfie Turcotte hates everyone and everything.

• Chuck says:

He really needs to get out more. A little sun would do wonders to help his disposition!

__________________________________________________
      Anyone but the Sens! (Check.) And Boston. Oh, and the Laffs, too. (Double check.)

• alfieturcotte says:

Funny you should say, I just took a 5 minute walk outside. Weather is beautiful in NYC.

• myron.selby says:

I think if he got together with wjc, Timo and nunacanadien for a nice massage and pedicure, maybe an afternoon matinee or lunch, it could go a long way to brightening up the tone around here. It would at least be an interesting experiment to get all that negativity together in one place – create some kind of psychic low pressure event.

• alfieturcotte says:

Nope, Alfie Turcotte hates Price’s contract. I also do not like (note I did not say hate) the militant defense of Price in the face of poor results. Living in NYC and commuting by car to work every day, I also DETEST traffic. I’m relatively cool w/everything else.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sometimes not all that cool with people who disagree with you…

• alfieturcotte says:

Disagreement is cool w/me. I respond in kind to those that cross certain lines.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Fair enough. But how long have you been living in NY? Don’t they do disagreement differently there?!

• piper says:

LOL!!!

• bwoar says:

My hero. Yep, you’re just following the golden rule. Just another misunderstood voice on a board of people who need enlightenment.

NB “Militant defense of Price” = “explaining that the Habs make everyone sign bridge contracts to someone who hasn’t been paying attention”

You have a problem with people who disagree with you. And you think people are stupid for not changing their minds after one exchange with you. You’re just too cowardly to admit it and apologize.

So, I’m going to have fun abusing the site rules and disrespecting you until someone makes me stop. Because that’s fun for me.

“thoroughbred”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

LOL!
            Is AT bad enough to deserve that, Bwoar?
            Whether or not, that’s such a funny expression of intent, and because I can’t seem mentally to separate posters from their avatars (I just always believe it’s a picture of them), I’m blending Divine Punishing Wind with your mad horse!
            Hope I’m never at the receiving end!

• alfieturcotte says:

BWOAR: I just think you’re stupid. And you prove it with each of your posts. No worries, you can say what you like, I could care less…..Enjoy.

• twilighthours says:

I thought we had an agreement where you were going to post stuff other than how price sucks. Was I wrong on that?

• alfieturcotte says:

Yeah, I never agreed to stop writing my views on Price. He stinks. Happy to discuss other Habs as well (but never back off on Price views), but when his former goaltender coach calls him out, very a propos to comment on Price.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’ve said this before, but I’m very leery of engaging anyone who would use as his handle the name of one of the great draft blunders of the Canadiens. It just screams cynicism and bitterness that is off the chart, like that sour ball so sour that it needed a special containment field at the Candy Show that Homer Simpson of course had to have.

• alfieturcotte says:

Errant, I thought it was a good gag name and knew others of my generation would appreciate it. You’re analysis is flawed, and frankly ridiculous. Please tell me you aren’t a psychologist?

26. frontenac1 says:

Screw the Bruins! Go Hawks! Kick arse!

27. Dunboyne Mike says:

@UCE
    Can’t remember your exact words, but in the context of a critique of NHL refereeing you referred to the league as the custodians (?) of the sport.

If it ever was, I don’t think it is now. It is of course what the NHL would have us believe, but ultimately the league is answerable to its stakeholders rather than to its fans or players, and its sole priority is profit.

Part of its business plan has involved a shift away from sport and towards “entertainment” (cf. last 20 years, “Arts” pages in newspapers have all become “Arts and Entertainment” pages). This deliberate shift is because the league has no faith in its own product, professional hockey — perhaps to do with the evangelization of the American south — which it therefore seeks to dilute with “entertainment”.

What the league has far greater faith in than hockey itself is the appeal of the cycle of dirty episode, no-call, crowd outrage, on-ice retaliation, much discussion, next-game revenge, injury and suspension etc etc. In other words, in the league’s estimation, dirty plays by the Marchands and Cookes of the game are gold-dust, and they help tap into the WWE/UPC market which the league sees as a clearer path to revenue than boring old hockey.

This could not happen without the collusion/obedience of the refs, which is why they put their whistles away and let stuff go (the Marchand punches on Sedin being a perfect example).

Seen in this light, the Chara hit on Pacioretty, the Crosby concussion, and all other spectacular, injurious hits are all good for the league’s bank accounts — which are the only things they are custodians of.

(And I still watch…)

• twilighthours says:

And still you watch. There it is. The NHL disappears for 7 months and we still come back in droves. Patches nearly dies and not one fan turns away. We can complain, but we are the problem.

• wjc says:

Dunboyne: NHL sole priority is profit…… true. Why else would the NHL exist. If there was no profit there would be no NHL.

The NHL as always been about profit and entertainment since the very beginning, when they realized people would pay to come into a building to watch. The rule changes and format changes to the game was to attract people to hockey for entertainment. If they weren’t entertained would they spend money to get in.

The south is in existence because people will pay money to see this entertainment. No one can exists at the professional level because the NHL has all the rights to territories locked up. To start a new league would cost billions of dollars. With the best players tied up in long term contracts, where would the players come from to attract fans to pay for the entertainment they provide.

Hockey is a rough game with rough players and the fans love it. Any contact sport and I can only name three that compare are ruger, football, and lacrosse. Ruger is amateur in North America, Lacrosse is relatively small and football is the biggest. They have all kinds of rough stuff in football and dirty stuff (mask grabbing, late hits, they cannot sanatize the game for the sqeamish.

NHL refs are the best in the world. It is a fast game. They do not want the refs deciding the out come of a game when they are playing for who is the best. They are trying to keep it as clean as possible without turning it into the ice follies.

wjc

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I think we more or less agree, but you are less cynical than I am!

Of course sport is entertaining and hockey is entertaining, and I know well that the league exists to make a profit. I probably wasn’t clear, but what I mean by the league not having faith in the game and therefore diluting it with “entertainment” is this: if the only entertainment, the only drama, were watching two opposing sides play three periods to see which would finish with more goals, the profits would be LESS than if you introduce a bit of Wrestling/Roller Derby mentality, ie. antagonism and revenge which the league generates rather than curbs, principally via the way it instructs the referees.

I, too, have always been a fan of contact sports. But in its irresponsible drive for profit, the league is reckless with player safety and with the issue of role modeling and kids, not to mention the complex relationship between hockey and Canadian identity: there’s a lot to be proud of being Canadian that’s to do with hockey, but I do not see myself or any Canadians I know in the under-handed hockey that’s played by Marchand, Cooke, Torres et al.

But from a profit point of view, those guys are pure all-stars.

28. Kooch7800 says:

Leo Komarov apparently is thinking KHL next year. I would love that. He hits like a mack truck

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

29. Kooch7800 says:

compliance buyouts are 48 hours after the STCF finishes. Will be interesting to see who is out there

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

I wonder who will announce the first one and who will be bought out?

Habfan17

• Kooch7800 says:

I would imagine there will be quite a few as soon as the 48 hours is up. The Habs can only do one now and that is Kabby. Sounds like Philly is going to be dishing out a lot of money

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan17 says:

I wonder if Tampa will buy anyone out. The thought of all those millions being paid out to players to go away. Think of the good that money could do!!

Habfan17

• Kooch7800 says:

Maybe Vinny….cause he isn’t worth the money he is being paid. Not sure the ownership there will want to part with that much cash though.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• HabFab says:

Not sure how many of those “life time” contracts that will be bought out. And if so would expect them to run another season first.

30. Dunboyne Mike says:

The Poll.

If I tick Chicago, they may as well present the Cup to Lurch before tonight’s opening face-off.

I shouted for Toronto, New York and Pittsburgh. (Also Detroit. And Montreal, of course. Also the 49ers).

Should I just pretend I didn’t notice the poll?

31. Mike D says:

With regards to the Ryder talk below:

I agree and have also been wondering why we haven’t traded his rights for an extra pick. Who knows, maybe MB thinks the selling price will be higher at the draft and is waiting until then?

On the other hand, that will give the buying team less time to sign him so maybe it lowers his value.

- Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

32. chilli says:

Melanson just talked himself out of the NHL coaching ranks.

“They have 23 Cups,” he said. “When I die, this franchise probably will have 50.”
    Jack Demers on the eve of the 24th…..
    doh!

33. HabFab says:

Not sure why Molson and Bergevin don’t fire their management team and read HIO instead…. roll eyes!

34. Dunboyne Mike says:

A poster makes credible analyses you can accept or dispute, and he expresses credible opinions. However, he also says stuff like this:

“Let me break it down for your Pricebot mind… we overpaid for Price — at least many know that by now (you have not come to terms with that yet, it’s ok you likely will in anoher couple of years).”

Other people here who want to trade Price don’t let it turn them into gobshites. They just say what they think.

35. krob1000 says:

Anyone else keep looking at the Habs cap situation moving forward and think Gorges contract is the one that is going to be the real problem when it matters?
    I get Kaberle is an issue…anyone know if you can trade him to a team and then that team buys him out if they did not need their two buyouts?
    The Habs have some VERy interesting decisions ahead….not trying to imporve last year at the deadline sent a pretty serious message to the vets….some of whom are near the end of their careers…will they be around to reap the rewards of MB’s patient approach or should they start retooling and move these guys?
    I really have no idea what MB has in mind…I know I have really liked teh bulk of his moves and I am curious to see what he does but man there are some serious questions to answer unless status quo is his plan…which as much as it ticks us off…means extra playoff revenue and an early exit. I think this draft/free agency deadline MB is going to do some things that really rattle the fan base …just not sure what yet….there are so many directions he could go in.
    The draft is going to be pretty exciting but I would love to know the organizations internal assessment and timetable of when thye believe this to be a contending team….that really dictates everything.

• Habfan17 says:

Gorges contract could be a problem and if they don’t trade him during this off season, maybe at the trade deadline. I feel they definitely need an upgrade on him.

Markov and Gionta will be off the books after the season so they are not as much of an issue, although if there is someone that MB really wants, they may also be a problem. Emelin’s will probably be on long term injury so his salry won’t count while he is out and that will give them some wiggle room until he is back.

Habfan17

• piper says:

I agree Gorges is overpaid but i think he still has value. No way you buy him out over Kaberle. I think the DD contract will hurt the Habs more down the road but Kabs will be bought out because he was a Gauthiers F@#K up.

36. Maritime Ron says:

habsfan0 says:
    ” As far as the National Anthem singers go, Chicago’s Jim Cornelison definitely has it over Boston’s Rene Rancourt.
    Although neither one is a Wayne Messmer or a Roger Doucette.

Habfan10912 says:” Doucette is the greatest ever. Period.”
    ———————–
    Rene is ‘cool’….yet THE most incredible National Anthem EVER performed happened at the 1991 Chicago hosted All Star Game a little while after Gulf War I had started.

The singer, Wayne Messmer is on record as saying he couldn’t even hear himslelf sing and winged it.

Actually that history of Anthem interuption goes back to 1985.

” Chicago’s anthem tradition began during the 1985 conference finals against Edmonton. After dropping the first two games of the series on the road, Hawks fans entered Chicago Stadium on May 9 fully energized and ready to help their team get back into the series. The crowd was so excited they cheered all the way through the National Anthem — and the tradition stuck.”

The Chicago guy today is great:
    He may have a little bit wrong when he sings ” …and the land of the free” but that’s another debate, not to be done on this page…

So sad to witness an empire falling….

The Bryan Bickell saga:
    Interesting to note that Bickell who was drafted and developed by the Blackhawks is now about to hit UFA with a pot of gold awaiting him. The question is whether or not he is really that good or whether he got some Chris Kontos or John Druce magic potion before the playoffs started.

The reason one has to wonder, is even the Blackhawks did not see this coming. Surely if they believed he could become the player he is now morphing into, they would have signed him to an extension during the regular season. Given he was making $600K this season, they probably could have easily given him a 2 year or 3 year deal with a raise to 1.2 Million and he probably would have taken it.

However, they didn’t do this and now he is having a great playoffs. I don’t doubt he is a useful player, but to me it seems even the Hawks didn’t see this coming. He will probably end up with a $2million+ per season contract as a result of this playoff.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Brilliant observation! Hope Bergevin is reading. I shall be watching Mr Bickell closely to see how he fares against our arch enemies. If he continues to shine, then I predict Bergevin goes after him with a Prust-type offer.

• Luke says:

Kontos? Druce? It wouldn’t have killed you to say Moen would it? ;)

(edit): There is usually an unsung guy that steps well out of his role in each playoff years and accomplishes huge things and fades back into obscurity. I think this is Bickell, this year.

He’ll join the ranks of Druce, Kontos (as you said), W Rychel, Moen, Halak, Paul DiPietro etc…

;D

• coutNY says:

Moen never put up Bickell type numbers over of a course of a season, let alone the span of the playoffs.

• Luke says:

Playoffs with Anaheim were close, in the ‘similar enough’ range.
          Moen – 21GP 7g 5a; Bickell – 17GP 8g 5a (obv still active).

I’ve also been saying Bickell is basically Moen with bit more offense. Bickell is the flavour of the Playoffs. Drafted in ’04, the year before Carey Price, he played his first full season in ’10-11.

I hope he emerges as a dependable 3rd liner who can bump up to the 2nd. I wish him nothing but the best, I really do, I just temper this “Bickell is the next big thing” love fest going on around here.
          I’d love him on the Habs. I suspect it’ll cost 3-4 milllion for 4 years to get him. Not sure if i like that dollar figure. But it’s not my money, so if they can swing it. Do it.

I also suspect he stays a Hawk.

• Bill says:

He would have gotten 2 million before the playoffs as a UFA.

At this point someone is going to seriously overpay, like, by twice that amount minimum.

Not a lot of UFAs and he certainly has peaked at a convenient time, as many pending UFAs do.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• coutNY says:

Sean Bergenheim comes to mind… after a great playoff in Tampa; Florida gave him nearly a 400% raise… although he seems to put good numbers in the playoffs in his limit experience, the premium paid does not seem justify his numbers for the regular season. I guess time will tell.

• Luke says:

Yes Berg. Forgot about him. Joel Ward cashed in huge as well after his point a game playoffs with Nashville. (12gp 7g 6a 13pts).

Maybe Joel Ward is a better direct comperable to Bickell than Moen. (But Moen is more fun :) ).

• wjc says:

Damn that Pierre Gautier.

wjc

38. Fransaskois says:

@ JohnBellyful Re: NYT Guide to Essential Knowledge

A 2011 ed. of New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind is available. The rights are held by St.Martin’s press and it is currently in stock at several Baker and Taylor Publishers ($35) throughout the US and through Raincoast ($40) in Canada. Contact your nearest bookseller (preferably independent) and inquire about their stock. Provide them with the included 13-digit identification number to make their lives easier. Please be aware there may be shipping fees and other markups attached to the retail price.

ISBN: 9780312376598

Happy reading!!! Go Habs Go!

Would be nice if a team had enough interest in Ryder that MB could scoop up one more draft choice by trading his rights.

• Cardiac says:

I believe his agent has said publicly that Ryder is not in MB future plans.

- Jerry Maguire

Exactly, thus the reason to trade the rights of him to another team if they believe they could sign him before he becomes UFA, like the Islanders did with Streit.

• Maritime Ron says:

burly
      Unfortunately Ryder is a UFA and free
      No ‘rights’ to trade

So was Streit and Gonchar, No?

All one is trading is the rights to sign the player prior to becoming UFA. Like when Montreal traded for the rights to Sundin.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Correct. What was traded for in these two instances are exclusive negotiating rights until July 1, like the Blue Jackets did with James Wisniewski in 2011. In their case it worked, but I believe that Canadiens were unsuccessful when they held Mats Sundin’s rights for a month?

• Cal says:

Habs “own” Ryder until July 1. (May be the 4th this year)

• coutNY says:

Contraire Mon frere…. still have rights til July 1, but the habs playing the cards as they did, no one in right mind would trade anything of value for him because there is essentially no demand built up for him. By the Habs stating they have no plans to sign him… coupled with his playoff experience in 2013 habs probably figured not worth the ‘dog and pony show’ for a late round pick or AHL “lifer prospect” since they got plenty in ‘cupboard’ already.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I guess the trick would be to ask his agent which teams he’d consider signing with, then shopping his rights to the highest bidder.

We don’t have a fourth or fifth-rounder, let’s see if we can get one of these, or even an extra sixth for his rights.

40. habsfan0 says:

Although neither one is a Wayne Messmer or a Roger Doucette.

• Habfan10912 says:

Doucette is the greatest ever. Period.

• habsfan0 says:

Agreed.
        In addition to his superb voice,one of the things that really impressed me about Doucette was that he took the time to learn and sing the words to the Russian National Anthem, no small feat.

While many may find the anthems trivial, I still like the fact it is done and really respect when it is done well. You make an excellent point about Doucette learning the Russian Anthem, he was a real pro while still maintaining flare and humour in his persona.

I don’t like how many teams have turned the anthem singing into their own versions of American Idol.

• Cal says:

When I see a little kid singing it or someone trying too hard, I use my favourite remote control button. “MUTE”.

• scavanau says:

I see Rene Rancourt and child molester is all that comes to mind

A Chicago Themed diagram of the ice surface with expalanations for all things related to hockey. Some good lines in there.

• Chuck says:

“A lot of concussions happen against the Safety Glass.” Hehe.

__________________________________________________

Hawks insert Brandon Bollig for Stalberg to open series. A little extra size for the 4th line opening night.

Flyers pick up the rights for Mark Streit, Cost them a 4th round pick.

Getting a 4th for a guy who is UFA in a few weeks, seems like a pretty good deal for Islanders.

• Sportfan says:

Islanders will really win if Streit doesn’t sign, but Streit is not a Flyers type player so it interesting to see.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Ron says:

Good one Ben, you and Nick have a great Laurel and Hardy going on that one :D . Can’t realily see why they would go after Streit though. Not realily in the Flyer mold for say. Also he is going to be 36 this Dec coming.

• commandant says:

He’s as much in the “Flyer Mold” as Kimmo Timmonen or Andrej Meszaros IMO.

Now his age and his style wouldn’t make him my first choice either, but I think the Flyers have come to the realization that they need a top 4 defenceman, and the number of top 4 defencemen available in free agency is super low this year.

A problem MB will also need to face.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Ron says:

I think Kimmo has proven he can play with the Flyers effectively, not so sure with Meszaros though. Streit might give them the power play set up man they need, just not physical in my mind to play the Flyer game. Meszaros could be the odd man out if Streit signs and I think he will.

• commandant says:

I agree Kimmo has been very effective for them.

Just saying that not everyone on their team is this big tough guy. They have some skilled, soft players too. See Giroux and Briere who fit in with bigger guys on their wings.

Same with the Bruins, Kreijci and Krug are soft but they are surrounded by some gritty and skilled guys too.

I think we would look better with a couple guys like that… but the thing is they have to be skilled enough to play on the same line as a Plekanec, or with DD. It doesn’t work if they aren’t on the line.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Ron says:

I think Briere is possibily going to be bought out which eliminates a soft player from their roster.

44. habsfan0 says:

NHL Draft is in 18 days in beautiful downtown Newark,NJ.
    What are the odds of MB & TT relinquishing some of their many picks to move up in the draft?

• johnnylarue says:

I dunno. It’s a rich, deep draft and I can see them playing the odds and keeping their picks this time. Outside of the top 5, no one strikes me as an obvious target for the Habs–at least not in terms of a kid they would/should sacrifice picks for.

Assuming TT hasn’t lost his touch, I’d like to think he could nab a game-changer or two with all those second round picks this year.

• Sportfan says:

I think round 1 could be up for grabs maybe but I don’t think any of the second round picks are available

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

45. Un Canadien errant says:

Cool recap of how Tomas Kaberle, throughout his career as a Leaf, was perpetually dangled as trade bait.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

I dislike the Bruins too but we need to face certain facts. They are not winning through goonery.

First, their best players are not all goons. Krejci and Bergeron are terrific. 3rd liners like Peverley and Kelly are great at their jobs. Marchand and Lucic are lousy human beings and dirty hockey players, but when they just play the game they are really good too. Rask is outstanding. And Chiarelli has built an outstanding squad through drafting and trading with no weak spots.

I draw the line at Zdeno Chara and Claude Julien. Praising Chara’s hockey playing is like praising Hitler’s watercolours. Julien similarly cannot be redeemed by any amount of coaching acumen.

• bwoar says:

Yep. Spot on. Extra points for Chiarelli, one of the better GMs in the league. (Though, the pain of trading Joe Thornton landed on the guy just before him, I won’t forget.)

Personally I’d rather have a few more lousy human beings and dirty hockey players than the Bog-Gainey-Hockey-Competition-Committee squad we’ve been sold for the past 8 years. Might win a round here and there.

I’ll go further than you – Chara is the top D in the league. He raises the abilities of the people around him, especially his fellow defenders, in a way most others don’t. In a way PK may never be able to do, in fact. I think the guy’s a huge idiot, but, what’s on the ice is right in front of us so it’s futile to pretend the guy isn’t #1.

“thoroughbred”

• johnnylarue says:

I rooted for Boston during their series against the Sens. It felt dirty, but in that instant I just hated the Sens more.

I also took perverse enjoyment in watching them make an absolute joke of the Pittsburgh Penguins. They were scary good in every facet of the game. And the better they got, the more the Pens fell apart. Morbidly fascinating.

I’ll now see your “Chara is #1 in the league” and raise you a “I think Marchand might actually be a decent guy off the ice.” Have you heard him in interviews? He’s almost shockingly well-spoken and down-to-earth. I get the impression he’s just an absolute a-hole on the ice and a decent guy the rest of the time.

Note that this doesn’t make me hate him any less.

All that being said, I respect the Boston Bruins, but it’s time for them to lose now. GO HAWKS!

• JF says:

The Bruins didn’t play the Sens.

I also enjoyed watching them dismantle the Penguins, whom I dislike. The thing about the Bruins is that, much as we all hate them, we can admire the team and try to emulate their balance and depth. The Penguins not so much. We’ll never get the kind of superstars they have, and apart from that, I don’t think they’re as good a team as the Bruins. Their goaltending and defence are not as good, their lines are not as well balanced, and I don’t think they have as much depth.

• johnnylarue says:

@JF

OMG–I’m far too young to be going senile…!

Obviously, I was thinking of the Leafs/Bruins series. The spectacular manner in which Toronto lost must have virtually erased their entire existence from my memory.

And of course I was pulling for the Pens vs the Sens.

All those black and yellow jerseys… so very, very confusing. ;)

• Bill says:

I don’t always agree with you, but when I do … it is completely.

The Bruins have an enviable team, very balanced. And I like how they have kept their roster and lines pretty much consistent for years. I think that’s really important. I love Bergeron and Krejci, admire their role players, and grudgingly give credit to Lucic and even Marchand.

But Chara and Julien are beyond the pale.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• habsfan0 says:

If the Bruins do win the Cup(horrors)rumour has it that Claude Julien will be entitled to a lifetime free supply of Dunkin’ Donuts Boston Creme Donuts.

Something to definitely shoot for.

Does Claude Julien now surpass Don Cherry as a better coach? Does Claude Julien have a future in Sports TV like Grapes?

• habsfan0 says:

I’m not sure if Julien is a better coach than Cherry.
            However if Boston beats Chicago,that will give Julien 2 Stanley Cups as NHL coach vs 0 for Cherry.

Also,Julien apparently knows how to count as opposed to (too many men on the ice)Cherry.

But Grapes is the flashier dresser if your taste runs the gamut from gaudy to outrageous.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I agree that they are a superb team, but I do think that to a certain degree their “truculence” sets the table for their success.

47. JohnBellyful says:

I’m about to head out but before I go I’d like to set in motion some HIOsourcing. I hope you guys can help me out.
    I was going through my book collection, rearranging the piles, when I came across The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge (A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind).
    It’s a great book to have around but the thing is,it was published in 2004. Now I’m worried. I could be trying to get by with huge gaps in my knowledge of what’s essential. Nine years worth.
    So my question is, can anyone think of any pieces of essential information that’s emerged since 2004 that I should know about?
    Your help in this matter would be appreciated
    (I don’t want to go out to buy a newer version. I’ll just copy what you come up with in the book. Thanks.)

• bwoar says:

“How to use Google”

“thoroughbred”

• Bripro says:

Well, let me help.
      Hmmm let’s see…
      There’s been a war in.. nope, that’s not new.
      They never found any weapons of ma.. nope.
      The NRA…no they’re still there.
      “If ignorance goes to $40/barrel… ” that’s pre-2004.
      The Leafs haven’t won… that’s not new either.

Sorry John…. I’ve got nothin’.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nah, pretty much been a stagnant world since then. But if I think of anything I’ll catch you on Bebo.

48. alfieturcotte says:

A year ago MB had a choice to make. Who would be the top dog on his team? Should it be Price or Subban? Who did he choose? He called Price a thoroughbred and awarded him with a 6-year $40MM contract. Mind you, Price’s career stats clearly indicated that he was not close to being worth being paid among the top goaltenders in the NHL. Subban on the other hand was made to wait, and wait….Instead of locking him into a long term contract in 2012, we’ll now need to sign him (and I hope MB knows that the only player on the Habs worth being paid top dollar is PK) post one, perhaps two, Norris trophies. You don’t need to be a financial wiz to know that you buy low, sell high not the other way around. I argued a year ago that Subban should have been the focus of a long term contract, not Price. As expected, Price disappoints and now we will pay dearly for MB’s lack of long term vision vis a vis Subban.

The only thing that can salvage this mistake is neutralize the albatross that is Price’s contract. The market shrinks for Price with each performance and statement to arise from the people who know him well (Melanson). MB must trade Price before the market for his “potential” dries up. Make no mistake Pricebots, another year like this past one and the market for a $7MM Price will look a lot like the one for Luongo.

Cut your losses MB, trade Price maintenant while you can still retain some value and save many many $$$$.

• The Jackal says:

What?

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• alfieturcotte says:

Let me break it down for your Pricebot mind: MB made a huge error last year signing Price for 6 years and Subban for 2. Subban will need to be signed for many more dollars in 2014 than it would have taken in 2012. Can you get it?

Meanwhile, we overpaid for Price — at least many know that by now (you have not come to terms with that yet, it’s ok you likely will in anoher couple of years).

So solution, get rid of Price, free up cap space and use those saved dollars for the true top dog in Montreal, Subban.

• Chuck says:

Price got a bridge contract and big payoff; Subban will also get his.

__________________________________________________

• alfieturcotte says:

Nope, sorry. MB CHOSE to give Subban a bridge. He could (and should have) locked him up into a longer term contract (a more astute GM would have done that).

• formerly known as the hc says:

This was the right decision re: Subban. Up to that point, he was a player who had shown great promise at times and little more. Many teams sign bridging contracts. Had he received the big pay day a year ago, I believe he would be another Tyler Meyers and/or Phaneuf. Who knows, he may still be, but this situation helped motivate hime to think team, listen to his coach, etc.

• alfieturcotte says:

For some players, I might have agreed with that logic. Not for Subban. He has a winner’s instinct and desire that sadly several fellow habs lack. He also has the ability and hunger to shine in big game situations (something his pal Price lacks).

• Kooch7800 says:

It is the organizations policy to do bridge contracts. The Habs and Rangers both do it and I am sure other organizations do it as well.

For reasons why….see tyler Myers or Dion Phanuef.

Price isn’t going anywhere and neither is Subban. Not sure what the issue is here. We need to add other pieces

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

Everyone gets a bridge contract, no exceptions. Did you miss the part where Price got his too?

Hint: Yes, you did, you bloody fool.

“thoroughbred”

• alfieturcotte says:

OMG, too funny. Everrybody gets……You probably have never managed a team (let alone an individual) based on that response. Think long term, think strategically might help you in your real life world.

Nope, not everyone. The smart GMs lock up their core young players for a long time earlier on. Do you know why that is — because they realize their players will command a larger salary after the “bridge”. Surely, you would agree that signing Subban in 2012 to a 6 year contract would make more dollar sense than signing him to a contract in 2014. Actually, forget it, you probably are too dim to understand that.

• Trisomy 21 says:

you really are an idiot. Listen to everyone else on this.

When Price was in Subban’s situation he got a 2 year contract that took him to his last year as an RFA. Sounds like someone else we know. Price got a huge payoff after, Subban will too.

And who are you, exactly? let me guess a former GM?

• alfieturcotte says:

Just a more astute fan tham most, clearly by the responses to my comments (you included). Ok, Einstein, format is 2 year bridge, bif payday. All have to follow that format, no exceptions…. That is pathetic logic — logic of losers. If the shoe fits.

• New says:

Oh oh — you have been flagged as a Pricebot cause you asked “what?” :-)

• alfieturcotte says:

Nah, flagged as Pricebot based on a long tall record of Pricebot like statements. I happen to be very familiar with jackal’s view on Price.

• Bripro says:

Which season were you watching?

• alfieturcotte says:

The one where Price collapsed in the season and posted a sub .900 Save % where the Canadiens got eliminated in 5……

• Bripro says:

An effective goaltender is only as good as his D.
          Prior to Emelin going down, resulting in overplaying Markov, Price was in every Vezina discussion, and was prime candidate to represent Canada next year at the Olympics.
          Yes, he had a miserable end-of-year. But most goaltenders go through that. You don’t dismiss an elite player because he’s having a bad stretch.
          I’m sure he’ll rebound, and you’ll be wondering why you were ready to throw away the baby with the bath water.

• Habfan17 says:

In all fairness to Price, Gorges should only be a 5/6 defenceman, Diaz too. Montreal has too many defencemen that would be slotted 5 or 6 on true competitive teams. Markov should be a 3/4 now, Emelin too. Subban is the only 1/2 defenceman. Hopefully Tinordi and Beaulieu will correct that in time.

Habfan17

• Lafrich says:

If an effective goalie is only as good as his D, then please explain to me what is so special about Price?

• Lafrich says:

I don’t know what happened behind the scenes with PK, so I can’t comment on his negotiations and resultant contract. I also will not comment on the salary Price is taking home, and the reason for that is I would trade him even if he made $1.00. Not $1 million – ONE DOLLAR. He has repeatedly let us down, and his play in the playoffs has very simply cost the team victories. I realize there are other defficiencies on this team. I also realize that qulity shots are tough to stop, but he has let in what should have been routine saves throughout the last month of the season and in the playoffs. He may have the tools, but he does not know how to use them, and this is not the first time that a highly touted prospect could not CONSISTENTLY play the way he was supposed to be able to play. And please don’t tell me about 2 seasons ago – I know – he was good that season. EVERY goalie has a good season – he is not special.

• bwoar says:

How many accounts do you need?

“thoroughbred”

• Lafrich says:

To screw in a lightbulb? Not sure what you mean.

• The Jackal says:

One to screw it in, multiple to comment on how bad Price is while you screw it in?

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• alfieturcotte says:

BWOAR: How many seasons and failures in the playoffs do you need to see before you realize that Price is not the “throughbred” that you are willing him to be?

Lafrich is 100% correct – Price is not (and has never been, those are my words now) special. Certainly not worth anything near $7MM. Perhaps you should get your head out of price’s behind, and look clearly for once.

• bwoar says:

[deleted by yrs truly]
            Actually, I was wondering if the mods would delete that. It’s funny. I’ve posted some straight up curses at people, baited with some over-the-line racial comments (as satire, which doesn’t always come through over the web), and yet, somehow, I just don’t get modded.

I think the mods here

1) have a sense of humour and ‘get it’ when I cross the line
            and more importantly
            2) tacitly approve of me telling broken-record, idiot crusaders with multiple accounts to beat it with whatever language I deem appropriate.
            or
            3) moderation here ain’t all it’s cracked up to be

If you want to have a civilized discussion, start one. If you want to start a pissing war with “Pricebots” (AKA anyone who doesn’t share your view of Carey Price), I’m gonna tell you off. So don’t get your mom’s panties all twisted there, pal. For a New Yorker you sure come off like a little bitch.

“thoroughbred”

• alfieturcotte says:

BWOAR: Let me guess, you’re an English Major? What’s the matter, you can’t take a couple of hard hitting points on Price??? Grow up.

• alfieturcotte says:

Right on Lafrich. Many a goalies have made their D look pretty good. It happens every year.

• Luke says:

MB Didn’t call Price a thoroughbred.

That alone should be the ‘ignore’ factor your post. Sadly it wasn’t.

Because I find it interesting (and very funny) you think MB erred by not giving Subban a long term, big $ contract when he was as unproven as Price was/is or whatever you consider him.

PS: Price, as you indictated, doesn’t make $7MM, as you also indicated.

• alfieturcotte says:

Sorry Luke, I remember it very clearly. It was one of his first (if not his first) press interviews. My heart sank when I heard him muttter those words as I realized what was going to unfold…..Perhaps before you make a uninformed statement you ought to research it a tad.

An on Price/Subban, Subban deserved a long term last year (despite his youth) more than Price (after 5 yrs in the NHL) deserved one. And it shows after only one year.

• Luke says:

Bob Gainey was the one who called Price a Thoroughbred.
          Part of his ‘I don’t bake’ press conference.
          So, “Perhaps before you make a uninformed statement you ought to research it a tad.”

“Deserved” based on a couple decent seasons and a perceived up tick in development, not unlike Price.
          It shows only in hindsight.

PK did not have a season, until this one, that rivaled what either Phaneuf or Myers put together prior to their monster contracts.

So there you go… I suppose you have to decide if you want to give monster contracts to young players or not. And you don’t get to decide after: 1) the contract is awarded and a poor season(s) follow; or 2) the contract is not awarded and a great season is had.

• alfieturcotte says:

Agree that Bob Gainey called him that – in fact he coined that phrase for Price. Problem is that MB also used that to describe Price.

• Luke says:

Irrelevant, but can’t find a source for that. I’m actually curious now to see it.

However, you dodged my point. what’s your descision:
            #1 OR #2 as I outlined above?

Give the ‘unproven’ a long term contract, or given the ‘unproven’ a shorter deal and live with the results?

• alfieturcotte says:

On your qn – it’s case by case.

Surely, you take some risks. Some might not pan out, I agree. PK is one where the “risk” was justified. Now Price on the other hand, had one good season only out of 5. He was paid too generously relative to his overall performance. There was question in my mind certainly (and in the mind of others) as to whether Price was top 3 (nope). Hope this answers your qn.

• habsfan0 says:

Heaven knows I am not the world’s biggest Carey Price fan,and am rather skeptical if a new goalie coach will set him on the road to a Hockey Hall of Fame enshrinement in the future.

However,if you move him,who takes over as the Habs’ #1 goalie?
      With all due respect to Peter Budaj and the excellent season he just had,I’m not at all sure he is a #1 goalie in the NHL.

• Timo says:

Everyone knows that the top dog is DD.

• zephyr says:

agreed. hindsight is 20/20 but it was a mistake. I don’t know that we could get much for price given his poor play. if we could, we should. halak might be available but can we really get an upgrade over price? I see the habs drafting a goalie this year with a high pick. until that guy is ready, we might just be screwed.
      the main reason we lost to Ottawa was brutal officiating. it was too bad to be sheer incompetence. it must’ve been a result of nhl policy. even so, we still might have won if price wouldn’t have choked. he’s a multi-millionaire who gets paid to win. he’s not. I don’t feel bad that there’s some heat on him.

• Lafrich says:

Hear hear.

• New says:

Yeah but in the playoffs this year Price was 1 and 2. Budaj was 0-2. You can only blame goaltenders so long. Anderson was a hero, until the next series when he wasn’t. Vokoun the same. Lundquist the same. Where’s Quick and how did they go out? Reimer the same. Over and over again. “Teams” lose and the goalie gets the blame. “Teams” win the goalie gets a trophy.

• wjc says:

So, if it were up to you to trade Price, what would you want for him?

wjc

• HabinNorth says:

Signing Subban to a long-term deal at anything less that the max is unlikely but there was not room to sign him at that level this year given the salary available. If done not make much of a difference to the future cap if he is paid $6 mil or $7mil. What is important that he is signed.

On Price, your sucking and blowing. If he has any value then the team is in a good position and does not have to move him. You want to move him because you do not feell he is good enough so by your admission he would have no value. That is why you are Alfie Turcotte and MB is the GM. You can’t have it both ways.

• alfieturcotte says:

Um, I suppose by your logic Price is well deserving of his salary and it makes complete sense to keep him (and commit the Canadiens to several more years of misery and frustration). Sure, if that is the goal, go right ahead.

As far as MB / GM, all GMs make some good moves and some horrid ones. The ones that retain their jobs, have more assets than liabilities. Gauthier (recall he was a GM) by your logic knew more than most though his track record would speak otherwise. MB made a mistake, a big mistake with the Price contract. I am certain that deep down there is some level of second guessing onhis part. A .905 / .895 regular/playoff record says enough to second guess. You see Hab in north, I prefer to let the player’s record speak for itself. You make money and command a large salary if you prove you deserve it. Price has done none of that, yet got rewarded with a lopsided contract. He would not be the first (we just got rid of one in Gomez and will get rid of another in Kaberle). I only hope MB has the good sense to follow Sather and Rutherford who “got religion” saw their mistakes and found a couple of suckers (Gainey/Gauthier) to do the heavy lifting.

Yup, I am only Alfie Turcotte, but I knew better and ain’t afraid to say it.

49. Maritime Ron says:

RetroMikey says:
    Midget Gally and fans here are such sore sports.
    —————-

Midget? Seriously?
    Well, that confirms you missed several Dale Carnegie training sessions, but to your credit, at least you didn’t call him a dwarf.

When I look at Gally, I see someone that is incredibly
    “Space Efficient” and 29 other teams would love to clone his heart DNA and transplant it among several of their own players.

By the way, at 21 years old, he’s going to earn $870,000 this year and next year…then Millions after that.
    Not bad for what you call a Midget!

• Bripro says:

Being of the roughly the same stature, albeit with a smaller heart, I prefer to call it “vertically-challenged”.
      Just like I’m “folically-challenged”, and according to my wife, “intellectually-challenged”.
      I make up for it where it counts. But this isn’t a pi••ing contest. :)

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi Bripro

“Follically challenged” is something I can relate to.
        ” Intellectually-challenged” is a term I hear often from my 2nd administration wife of 12 years when she tries to explain the desperate need for new decor and furniture on a yearly basis.

As for ‘stature’ I was blessed by genetics – nothing of my doing. I can remember the pencil mark offs on the bed room wall at sixteen years old when the coveted 6′ arrived…and was confirmed about 6 months later when the courage to get off tippy toes confirmed it.

• Bripro says:

Hi Ron. So you’re one of those tall ones, eh?
          No offence, but all my life, you guys have given me a pain in the neck.
          My chiro thanks you.

As for genetics, my mother’s side were all short and bald.
          My father’s side were all over 6 feet with a full head of blond hair and blue eyes.
          Of course, the only genetic inheritance from that side was substance abuse! :D

• The Jackal says:

It’s RetroMikey, Ron, that’s a usual post of his.

And space efficient is a great way to describe Gally!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• commandant says:

It’d be great if the site ever introduced an ignore feature for any posters you got tired of…… Heck I bet a bunch would ignore me.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Doubt it.

• Maritime Ron says:

Commander
          I don’t always agree with you, yet for the most part, you have good stuff to share.
          By the way, your site is interesting and worth the visits.

• commandant says:

I was just taking a jab at myself.

My request for the ignore feature is for a few persistent trolls, but it wasn’t something meant for one person.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

Nice job on the mock draft. I am sadly more interested in Part 2 as that is where the habs will be falling in.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I don´t know but the Retro Clown, the Leafs jungle idiot and some others? I´d love to have an ignore feature for them. A lot of decent posters don´t come here anymore. That has surely something to do with these wums.

As a Montreal fan I would never ever consider going to a Leafs or Bruins site. I don´t know why some Leafs or Bruins fans love it here so much. Of course some Habs fans are complete idiots as well but Retro Clown for example isn´t one.

• ZepFan2 says:

I don’t think so. You and a couple of other posters are the reason I still check this place out.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

50. Sportfan says:

This is just a question not a troll thing or anything, but if Montreal was offered the chance to trade Plek for Bolland Bickell and a prospect/pick and we gave a pick/prospect (or something around those lines) Would you do it, if both guys signed decent extensions?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

I’d want the ‘Hawks to throw in Marian Hossa or Brent Seabrook, to even out that trade.

• alfieturcotte says:

The primary focus of MB as far as trades go is to rid the team of Price. I will have great admiration for MB if he can cut the umbellical cord with Price,even more so if he can trade him for real value (a la Sather in the Gomez trade).

• JayK-47 says:

Let’s reduce the equation. Take out the picks, so it’s Pleks for Bolland/Bickell. Eliminate Bickell because he’s UFA. Now we have Pleks for Bolland which means we still have a logjam at center.

No deal.

51. habsfan0 says:

Predictions:
    1)Chicago in 6
    2)IKEA monkey reunited with owner
    3)DD a Hab for life
    4)Rob Ford wins reelection in 2014 by a landslide
    5)Buffalo Bills go 0-16 in 2013

• Sportfan says:

Chicago in 6,
      Monkey gets “lost” and is doing commercials now,
      DD gets run out of town in two years by the franco population,
      Rob Ford loses to Alex Trebek
      Bills go 2-0 to start the season then never win untill the last game of the 2014 season :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Maritime Ron says:

1) Has to be 5 or 7. Bruins won’t let them win the Cup in their barn
      2) Agreed
      3) In what capacity?
      4) If he changes to Pepsi
      5) Remember they play the Jets twice.

• Un Canadien errant says:

1) Chicago or Armageddon.
      3) In this era, 5% chance.
      5) Perfection is difficult to achieve. I’d be willing to bet that the Chargers will have an even worse season than the Bills though.

Shake on it at the Summit?

• Cal says:

1. Chicago in 5
      2. IKEA monkey beats Rob Ford for Toronto mayoralty, restoring sanity to City Hall.
      3. DD traded for Lecavalier straight up.
      4. See #2.
      5. Buffalo Bills win 2 in pre-season, igniting the “Drive for 1″ campaign.

52. bwoar says:

The “Bruins are bad for hockey line”, I gotta say, is really tired. That style of hockey has been encouraged by the league since before I was born. Probably well before the Dryden era, frankly. The Bruins and the Flyers have been the standard-bearers, but, it’s the NHL BOG and, these days, the NHLPA who encourage this style of hockey. Blaming the Bruins is like saying an AIDS-immuno-compromised patient died of a cold, rather than AIDS. Maybe technically true, but not very helpful analysis for future reference.

TBH I just don’t like Boston; it wouldn’t matter what style of hockey they played. I don’t like any of their sports teams, and having sat through a number of Expos/Red Sox contests I will say without reservation that I have a terrible impression of Bostonians and the city of Boston in general. Irrational, I know.

“thoroughbred”

53. Un Canadien errant says:

Again, not sure what’s going on, but my post isn’t, uh, posted, after a couple of attempts. It’s not even a word count issue, it’s well under 10 000.

You can follow the link below. In the piece, I try to cajole Marc Bergevin into upgrading the Canadiens’ roster through trades and free agency. He can thank me for the insight and wisdom later.

• JohnBellyful says:

Take out the verbs. We could pretty much make out what you’re saying.
      In fact, we could tailor your analytical pieces to suit our biases by choosing the verbs we think should go in – so everyone would be in full agreement with what you have to say every time.
      Sweet!

• JayK-47 says:

UCE, I edited your trilogy down to 7, I MEAN TEN words, A PUNCTUATION MARK and an abbreviation. I think it conveys your thoughts well.

Get Schultz (EDIT: & MIKE RUPP)
      Sign UFA Hendricks
      Trade for Beach

• Habfan17 says:

Read the blog and liked it. Finally, someone who agrees with me that they should trade for Beach! Not sure about Rupp, I might look at Antropov for the 4th line centre. He would bring size and some offence and would look nice in front of the other teams net on the 2nd PP.

Habfan17

• commandant says:

I’d trade for Beach too, I’m just not giving up as much as you have propoesed before to get him.

I think he’s a reclamation project, and those types don’t have a whole lot of value.

Same as how we won’t get much for a Yannick Weber.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We’d be at an impasse. I don’t know if the ‘Hawks would let him go for peanuts. I’m thinking it would take one of our first-rounders in the system to do the job, and not Louis Leblanc.

• Habfan17 says:

I am glad you agree that he would be a good addition, I am not so sure I would call him a reclamation project though. He is still young, had a bit of a maturity problem, so did Kristo, then he had some injuries and he fell behind in the depth chart. Maybe I did propose too much for him. MB would know if he is worth a shot, I am just not sure Chicago would let him go for too little either. Look how long it took Bickell to break out. Bickell was 25 when he played his first full season, Beach is 23.

Habfan17

• Un Canadien errant says:

Nik Antropov is forever diminished by the Bobby Clarke press conference, when he was defending why he wouldn’t trade Eric Lindros to the Leafs. I’ll never forget how he sneered about what the Leafs were offering.

“Antropov?”

Shakes head, sneers some more.

“I don’t want Antropov!…”

Ouch.

Not the player’s fault, but I can’t forget that.

Also, he doesn’t bring the bellicosity, pugnacity, truculence and belligerence we seek.

54. Habfan17 says:

The Blue jackets have 3 first round picks. Do you think they may trade one for a couple of roster players? They have the 14th, 19th and 27th picks. What do you think it would take to get any one of them?

Habfan17

• Sportfan says:

It might take a fair bit their GM seems to have a brain and if that many first round picks it could really solidify the teams future for a while. It would be a high price in my mind, don’t be surprised if he signs a bunch of guys who just got bought out.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habfan17 says:

Being that Kekalainen is an ex scout and a very good one, I doubt he would trade the 14th and 19th picks, but maybe if there was a player the Habs really wanted still there at 27, they could offer, Gorges, DD and Holland for the 27th and Columbuses 5th round pick.
        Columbus still gets a prospect that is further along and two roster players that are young enough and can help out now.

Habfan17

55. Maritime Ron says:

@ sportsfan

While Bickel may wish to stay in Chicago (who wouldn’t-great city, team) the reality is that his ‘career earnings’ to date have been around $2M ‘before taxes’ for for 7 pro seasons split between Rockford and Chicago.

Nice money, but at 27 years old, this quite possibly could be his very last contract of guaranteed money.
    He would be silly not to test the UFA market and then see what Chicago has to offer…and who knows just how crazy some owners will be (See Minny last summer – Parise/Suter…)

Of course money isn’t everything – and how much does one really need, but he does have to plan post hockey career where there is a good possibility he would not earn even 6 figures per year.

Agree he is about to hit paydirt. Perhaps he will surprise us and sign for less, but as you say this is his chance to guarantee his retirement etc… Especially if Hawks win the cup, will make it easier to move on perhaps.

• Maritime Ron says:

Hi burly

Just some thoughts here.
        IF we want him, and IF we ever have a chance to get him, we would need to sell him on a greater role than he had with the Hawks and that means Top 6/Leadership….and then that means being PAID that way.

MB and Dudley know him well from their time there.
        Is he the real deal? Only they know for sure!
        IF that is the case, perhaps to even be in the ball game, we might need to offer 5 years/$22-23M.

Before I get howls, several said we went too much and too long with Prust last year.
        Now, some wan him to be Captain….

The other factor is that even though the Cap is reduced next year, it may increase by 10% per year moving forward – perhaps even more.
        If so, 3 years down the road – and IF Bickel lives up to his playoff performance going forward, we could have another Prust bargain.

• Sportfan says:

Oh I agree entirely and looking at the cap situation he probably wont be able to stay in Chicago. He will get a decent contract for his services. It would be nice to see if we can get him for 2-3 million, but someone might give him 4 depends on the team of course. The other factor this season is if there are a bunch of guys bought out who are still decent players he might get lost in a sea of Ex high priced players who just want to prove they can play and will take less. Its kind of exciting to see how all of this will unfold.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed Ron. Chicago is a great town, lots of fun, lots to see. Being a pro athlete there would be mostly cool, I would think. Mr. Bickell’s agent is sure to, during golf games and chance meetings in restaurant and hotel lobbies with NHL personnel, get a sense of what he’d fetch on the open market. The ‘Hawks will be hard-pressed to match or come close to what will be whispered in his agent’s ear for the next month or so.

———————————————————————–

• Maritime Ron says:

UCE

Rest assured before the pre UFA signing date of July 5 – and even during the 5 days prior ‘discussion period’ deemed correct by the new CBA, Bickel and agent will know EXACTLY who wants him and at what price.

Back channel info exchange is an art form in the NHL.
        The decision will be left to sifting through the offers and its effects on the family if a move to a new destination is required.
        :-)

56. JohnBellyful says:

As usual, we have to look to baseball to solve hockey’s problems. In this case it’s the steady decline in goal scoring, http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22167901/goal-scoring-declines-in-the-nhl-again.
    The answer, it turns out, lies within:
    So what the NHL needs to do is to go with a puck that has a bit more zip in it
    Why not attach a ring of blasting caps around the edge of a puck, each one filled with a propellant that increases the disc’s velocity when struck
    Approach Nike to manufacture the pucks with their famed logo on the puck’s edge, and when a shot makes it go a certain speed, minimum 85 mph, the puck produces a ‘Whooosh!’ sound, and the faster it goes, the louder the whoosh.

57. habsfan0 says:

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford picks Boston.
    Is he high on something?

58. Sportfan says:

Although Bickell wants to stay in CHicago the Cap situation doesn’t look very good

How bad would it be if they lost Bickell then Bolland next season?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Fransaskois says:

I thought they were toast after their last cup win, somehow pulled it off though. Kruger, Leddy, Danault, Morin, Pirri, McNeil, Terravainen, Beach, LeBlanc, and Shaw will keep them competitive. They really have a way with developing and drafting quality NHL players.

59. Maritime Ron says:

Thanks for all the “Why I hate the Bruins” answers.
    I didn’t realise some of it is genetic.
    :-)

• Cal says:

Three words: Chara and MaxPac.
      Eff the Gooins.

• Sportfan says:

Zednik and MacPac injuries, Ference, Marchand, Lucic, Julien and the constant bs they pull they give reasons to hate them.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• kalevine says:

don’t forget Michael Thelven’s slash to Stephane Richer’s vulnerable hand in Game 2 of the 1988 series. Habs had taken game 1 with ease and that deliberate slash turned the series around, the Bruins taking the next 4 and ending a period of 45+ years and a streak of something like 20 playoff wins in a row over the Bruins. Things have never been the same since then

But seriously, our hatred has been going on since long before 2006, so it can’t be based in jealousy. Obviously, jealousy has a lot to do with it now, with the Bruins about to snag second cup in 3 years and likely to be contenders for the next 5 years at least.
        Their 2011 cup threw off the perennial also ran reputation and made Habs fans realize that however the Habs compete with them, they really aren’t in the same league when the chips are down

60. Say Ash says:

So Bylsma gets a year for every goal scored. Nice gig.

61. Cal says:

So, like, no live blog for the Final? Too bad.
    See ya in September, Boone!

62. veryhabby says:

I grew up hating the Nords. Yup Boston somewhat, but I guess cause I moved to Ontario 22 yrs ago, that my hatred for The Leafs is much more real to me then what I felt about the Bruins when I was a kid. So I don’t hate them as much as many on here. But I still don’t want them to win. I still don’t “like” them, but don’t “hate” them. The Nords and the Leafs I hate.

So I am not cheering for either team, as I can only cheer for my habs. But I do hope that Chicago wins, as I don’t care for them while the Bruins we still have a rivary with.

63. Sportfan says:

Newest Last Word Article Worst Owners ever in the MLB

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Sportfan says:

Would you want to leave Chicago? Haha don’t be surprised if he took a cut just to stay. Although I don’t know what their cap situation is.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• mrhabby says:

money speaks and why change ur address being on very competitive team for the forseeable future. makes total sense.

• veryhabby says:

I didnt have to read an article to assume he’d want to stay. Beautiful city, amazing team, solid organization. Been there for a bit, and having success. why would you want to leave? Oh ya, more money elsewhere. well if he wants to stay he will sign a fair contract with them. There is ZERO reason for Chicago not to want him or to pay him fairly. The key will, like always, be if both parties agree on fair market value.

They will.

Some intersting quotes to read from Phil Esposito in this link. He is pretty candid as usual about how he feels towards both franchises, Chicago and Boston.

“You want to know the truth,” said Esposito, the fifth-leading goal scorer in hockey history. “This series doesn’t mean s*** to me.

“I have no feeling for these teams. There’s nothing emotional about it. They both got rid of me, traded me. So screw them.

“I didn’t choose to leave Chicago. I didn’t choose to leave Boston. I signed a contract in Boston for less money than I could have gotten from going to the WHA. I could have made millions doing that. And you know how they repaid me? Three weeks later, they traded me (to the New York Rangers).”

Sharks extend McLellan as coach.

66. RetroMikey says:

Midget Gally and fans here are such sore sports.
    Perhaps Bergevin has to see how successful those Gooins will be here for years to come and address these isuues.
    Big, physical and skill is what you need on a team and that is why those Gooins will win the Cup.
    Bet all of you would love to have a Lucic in Montreal, I know I would in a hearbeat!
    Yup….big is better I say!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

67. frontenac1 says:

Atta boy Gally! Love that kid.

68. Maritime Ron says:

Sometimes I wonder if all this Bruins hate is really disguised envy? (as I quickly put on my helmet, flak jacket, steel toed boots….)

Why?
    To start with, stability all over the place with the same GM since 2006 (we’ve had 3)-the same coach since 2007 (we’ve had 5) – the same team that won the Cup in 2011 with only 4 exceptions (Thomas, Recchi-Ryder-Kaberle) and going to the Cup finals again-same ownership since 1975 (we’ve had 4)…

Astute UFA signings (Chara), too many great ‘theft’ trades to mention just a few being Horton-Campbell/Rask Boychuk/Seidenberg…, and some great 2nd and later round drafting – not even close to a bad contract and many that are NHL bargains – a team that will NEVER get physically pushed around mixed in with some high end talent, heart, and character.
    Lots to hate about that!

Of course we can call out the Bruins supposed ‘dirty play’ yet we are not exactly lily white in that area with suspensions in the recent past to Ryan White, Pacioretty, and even Plekanek when he slew footed Oilers Dman Grebeshkov.

• Haberoooo13 says:

I think your key words are “with suspensions”…it’s all the dirty uncalled/unsuspended play that I took offense to…and then giving the paying public at the Bell Centre the finger (Ference) without anything???

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

• Mattyleg says:

I see what you’re saying.
      Mind you, the Habs got effed by the Canadian economy during the early 90s, and the NHL didn’t do anything to help Canadian teams, and that’s why we lost Molson as our owners, which started the crap-ball a-rollin’.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Fransaskois says:

Most of my hate is generated from the team’s image and their fans (the ones I know, not all of them). I don’t like the style of hockey they play and their success just makes it more frustrating as it seems they’re changing the league and how the game is played. I have respect for their accomplishments but it’s all tainted with a deep-seeded hatred.

Slew-foot or slew-footed?

• Un Canadien errant says:

I second Fransaskois. The Bruins are bad for hockey. Their oilslick is slowly seeping across the water table, due in no small part to Don Cherry, Mike Milbury and P.J. Stock.

I hated the Bruins when they were a laughingstock and had trouble drawing fans. I hate them now, even if they’re successful. It has nothing to do with envy.

I’ve never hated the Islanders, the Oilers, the Avalanche, the Red Wings, the Penguins, all these teams had my respect, and I would applaud when they’d score a spectacular goal. I envied their talent and stability and all that, but never hated.

No, the Bruins and Flyers hate is well-targeted, and well-deserved.

All those things only make me hate them more Ron. It is a rivalry I have known since I first remember watching a Habs game as a small kid. They are our arch enemy and I have been trained to despise them. Having the league look the other way with Chara on MaxPac only cemented things for me.

Call it whatever you want, but my hate for Bruins and all things Bruins is genuine. Regardless of how good or bad they are. Killed me when I saw Nilan in that Bruin jersey.

• bwoar says:

My dislike of the Bruins started many years ago. Sure, for the 12-year-olds on the site, anything goes. But hating the Bruins is a family tradition in my grand-dad’s house.

A friend of mine is Bruins fan, his dad is fully Habs-for-life… there’s no better guys to watch a Habs-Bruins tilt with.

“thoroughbred”

• mark-ID says:

What, it isn’t envy at all. Boston has always been this hated. Up until 2011 when Boston finally won a cup again….the Habs owned the Bruins. If anything Bruins fans hated the Habs for that reason.

Of course they won the cup, and have been successful since then….but it has only been a couple of years. Teams will always have highs and lows, just because Boston is having a high while the Habs are coming off a low….the tides will eventually change back(complete Montreal domination of the Bruins ;P)

• twilighthours says:

No need for psychoanalysis. I hate the Bruins because I grew up hating them. That’s all there is to it.

• New says:

It’s ok to hate the Bruins as long as you acknowledge that their mascot rocks.

I think the dirty play label is a bit off. Montreal takes more roughing and holding, about an equal number of slashing and high sticking, and more game misconducts, while Boston takes more fighting. ESPN will break down the minutes for you. Montreal takes more penalties than Boston. Montreal was the third most penalized team last season for minors, and fourth in major pen minutes per game lost.

Nobody much talks about that though.

• Cal says:

It would help if refs called the Gooins for their after the whistle bullshit. Unfortunately, they don’t. That’s why the NHL is bush.

• nunacanadien says:

Come on now! American owners in the pro sports are always guilty of being found to bribe people in sports. I would imagine that corporate America has all but bullied Pro NHL hockey to the extent that referees know if they call the Booins for what they really are, that they would get the hardball in return. We need impartial referees in Pro sports that is for sure! It’s become the Wrestling World on Ice the NHL has become. Goon hockey.

• Garbo says:

Well that’s stating the obvious. Tough to hate a team that stinks year after year after year. Leafs for example. Can you really hate them? I just feel sorry for them.

69. frontenac1 says:

Freakin Swiss? First they rip you off by putting holes in their cheese, stupid leather shorts , then they hide gangsters money! Yodelling? Give me a break.

70. commandant says:

I take a break from Scouting Reports for a couple days, and instead bring you the much requested, Mock Draft

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

71. Mattyleg says:

I don’t get this ‘rooting’ for another team.

I don’t cheer for anyone except the Habs.
    I was happy to see Boston beat Pittsburgh, but if Pittsburgh had won, I wouldn’t have cared significantly.

As for this series, I don’t really care.
    If Boston wins, good for them; if Chicago wins, bully for those guys.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

72. Saintpatrick33 says:

I don’t blame Gallagher. I’d root for the devil himself over the Bruins.

73. Blade says:

First! Only happens in the off season, though!