Fans might need to adjust cable package to see all Habs games in new NHL TV deal

The hockey TV world was shaken up Tuesday with news that Rogers Communications is taking control of NHL television and multimedia rights in Canada following a blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion agreement with the league that kicks in next season.

CBC will continue to air Hockey Night in Canada and the TVA network will have the Canadian French-language multi-media rights.

The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the playoffs and Stanley Cup final on all its platforms and in all languages. Rogers media president Keith Pelley said the plan is to have the Stanley Cup final on CBC and that if a Canadian team were in the final, the possibility of simulcasts exist.

Canadiens fans will continue to see all 82 regular-season games, although they might have to make an adjustment in their cable or satellite package. While TVA has emerged as a sub-licensee for national French-language rights, the bulk of the regular-season package — 60 games — could still be televised on RDS. TVA will televise 22 games, including all Saturday night games on TVA Sports, which now has 1.6 million subscribers, and will carry any Canadiens playoff games and have the choice of other playoff series, including the Stanley Cup final.  Whether the other 60 regular-season games stay on RDS or move to TVA will be up to the NHL and the Canadiens to decide in the coming days or weeks.

What’s not certain at this point is what this means for Canadiens fans outside Quebec and whether TVA will be made available to them. TVA announced Tuesday that it will be coming out with a new channel, TVA Sports 2.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens’ Rene Bourque returned to the ice for practice Tuesday in Brossard after missing three games with a lower-body injury. Bourque was cleared to return to action, but won’t be in the lineup when the Canadiens face the Sabres Wednesday night in Buffalo (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Carey Price is expected to get the start in goal and coach Michel Therrien said that backup Peter Budaj will play in one of the two games later in the week with the Canadiens visiting the Washington Capitals on Friday night before playing host to the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice Tuesday:

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Bournival-White-Moen
Parros-Bourque

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Bouillon-Diaz
Murray

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

NHL, Rogers reach 12-year broadcast deal worth $5.2 billion, montrealgazette.com

NHL, Rogers announce landmark deal, NHL.com

New TV deal will have minimal effect on Habs fans, by Pat Hickey

New deal a shot in the arm to TVA Sports, by Steve Faguy

Rogers, NHL reach landmark deal (video), sportsnet.ca

Concerns swirl over Don Cherry, traditional Saturday nights, montrealgazette.com

TSN bounced from Canadian TV hockey picture, montrealgazette.com

What new TV deal means for Canadian hockey fans, Globe and Mail

Canadiens vs. Sabres preview, NHL.com

Bourque will remain on sidelines against Sabres, montrealgazette.com

Galchenyuk, Gallagher make inroads on their own, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Sabres focus on power play, buffalosabres.com

Habs coach Gallant honoured by QMJHL, by Pat Hickey

Ex-NHLers sue league over concussions, montrealgazette.com

1. Luke says:

4th line drama in Buffalo.

Some reporters saying Scott is in, while Grigs is sitting, but apparantly Grigs told on reporter that he’s playing.

Draaaaaaaaaahmaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Annnnd something on my twitter en Francais that I don’t really understand but seems to indicate that Parros and Bourque are NOT in the lineup tonight.

• Mattyleg says:

Yep.
      Tweet says that they will participate in practice today but won’t be in tonight’s lineup.

Also says “Lark, pleasant lark; lark, I will pluck you. I will pluck your head, I will pluck your head. And your head; and your head; lark, lark, ohhh…”

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Rogers is up only 1.6%. Many skeptics?

3. Garbo says:

If I never have to hear from or see Bob Cole, PJ Stock, Don Cherry and Mike Milbury again, I will consider this deal to be a HUGE success.

4. SteverenO says:

What will it take to get Moen off the Penalty kill unit?

A look at our penalty kill numbers :

Player/SH TOI / PPGA / MInutes Per GA

Plekanec: 62:28 / 6 / 10 Min per PPGA
    Moen: 42;55 / 9/ 4.8 min per PPGA
    White: 36:34 / 5/ 7.3 min per PPGA
    Eller: 32:30 / 1 / 32.5 mins per PPGA
    Gionta: 28:04 / 2 / 14 mins per PPGA
    Prust: 27:01 / 2 / 13.5 mins per PPGA
    Pacioretty: 23:31 / 1 / 23..5 mins per PPGA
    Bournival: 11:27 / 1 / 11.5 mins per PPGA

What are the coaching staff doing? Isn’t it their job to pay attention?

Two PP goals in 5 opportunities allowed this weekend, one against Pitt, and one against Washington. White and Moen were on, together, for both.

These two guys, (are two worst penalty killing forwards) should NEVER be on together to kill penalties. In fact, it would not be terrible if they were never on at all.

We have 6 other forwards a who are better at killing penalties this season. (probably) 9 if you add Bourque, Desharnais, and Gallagher.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Galchenyuk and Briere would better as well.

regards,

Steve O.

• Cal says:

Yup, it’s all Moen’s fault that the Habs are killing penalties at a pathetic 83.5%. Trade him right bleeping now!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

That’s an awfully small sample size to draw any conclusions from. And ignores that Moen is out against the top PP everytime (versus other players who play against the other team’s second waves).

As for the last three games, I don’t know Minny’s PP (guessing it’s good), but the Pens and Caps have two of the most explosive PPs in the league.

Also, if we take these stats at face value (which you should never do with unanalyzed data), Plekanec is the third worst penalty killer on that list.

Do anyone honestly believe that?

You really believe Briere, Desharnais would be better on the PK than Moen?

• Kooch7800 says:

Moen doesn’t get a lot of love on this site. I actually think he has been doing his job quite well this year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• SteverenO says:

@Burlington:
        Desharnais definitely , in fact he has performed well in that role in the past. In 2012 37 minutes of SH TOI, zero PPGA, and in 2011 he played 39 minutes shorthanded TOI and only 3 PPGA. an average of 13 minutes per PPGA.

@ Cal ; It seems that our rate would be better if the ones who were performing the worst were given less time. In fact Moen’s rate of 4.8 minutes per PPGA works out to about 60%.

@ Ghosts: whether it’s the top PP unit or the second wave , you won’t see a lot of 4th liners on an NHL PP.
        How big a of a sample size do you need, or more important, does Therrien need?

He determined that Subban was nofit for PK duty after he played only 17 minutes shorthanded.

The real issue is what is there to lose? With Moen on the ice shorthanded the other teams PP are scoring quite regularly, when Moen is NOT on the ice the puck has been staying out of our net.

What would be the worst that could happen if, lets say, Bournival was given an opportunity to kill penalties?

regards,

Steve O.

• The Juice says:

Great analysis Steve, I back you 100%.

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

I recognize your love or passion perhaps for statistics. But when I watch a game, and I watch a player like Moen specifically, I see a player who really helps the PK. I don’t get this same fuzzy warm feeling watching Briere or Desharnais play the PK, nor do I see in their game a style which I think lends itself to playing the PK.

• Cal says:

Apply those numbers to baseball where they might make more sense. Applying these “moneyball”stats to hockey is just, well, laugh out loud funny. Hockey isn’t played with a slide rule or a calculator.

• bwoar says:

Gee, you’re right. The coaches are hopeless rubes and even your facile comprehension of the game makes them look like utter fools. My outrage meter is rising! Thanks ever so much!

“thoroughbred”

• HABSnEXPOS says:

meon exactly isn’t my favourite. but I think White plays well, plays with lots of heart, sticks up for his team, one of our best face off players on the club. As far as your stats are concerned I actually impressed with your gatherings and effort put forth. Since it seems you are much better numbers guy than. I will ever be , I have one question. Does it matter To try and factor in who’s on defence with the forwards. I can’t stand Diaz or gorges and find over the hill Bouillon are liabilities. However Steve just because I find. Them bottom of the barrel defence man doesn’t mean jack as far as truth in the numbers. Is there a way to find out if it’s really that moon and white are that bad or is it a combination of things …

Steve I’m in no way trying to carve on you I actually appreciate the research. Shows passion and commitment for the Club De Hockey.

5. DipsyDoodler says:

Dion Phaneuf is one of the worst possession players in the league. If you look at the bottom of the entire league here:

the relevant column is CF%, or Corsi For %. A 50% score means your team has as many scoring opportunities as the opposition whenever you’re on the ice.

The bottom of the barrel consists mostly of enforcers and 4th line grinders (Hi there Ryan White). The only player in the bottom 15 who earns more than $1-2M is Dion Phaneuf. His 40% score means that the opposition is 50% more likely to attempt a shot on goal than the Leafs whenever Phaneuf is playing.

He remains one of the worst when you adjust for the opponents, his teammates and the situation:

In effect, Phaneuf tilts the ice towards the Leafs net whenever he is on the ice.

Add his annoying personality flaws and you’ll realize that Dion Phaneuf is not worth $7M/year.

Is the involvement of TVA in the recent NHL TV Rights deal a precursor to the Nordiques returning to Quebec?

7. John Q Public says:

I am tired of reading we are not a cup contender.
    We are in this parity driven league.
    A piece or two more, some luck and you never know.
    Now beat the crap out of Buffalo.
    Stanley or bust.

8. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I’m done laughing now, so I can ask a serious question:

Why do people think that we can trade Pacioretty?
    Who do we replace him with?
    There seems to be a common misconception that if you throw in another player, the player we receive in return is better by the degree of the ‘throw-in’.

For instance, if you trade Max and, say, Diaz, you can get someone slightly better than Max. If you throw in Beaulieu, however, you get a much better version of Max.

Why do we need a different version of a good player we already have, and who works well within the exisiting team?

I just don’t get it.

AND, I don’t buy the “if the offer is right, and what is coming back is good enough, then we should definitely blah blah blah…” argument, because that’s just so much hot air.

I love my girlfriend, and I wouldn’t trade her for the world, but if a woman who is a mix of Charlize Theron, Martha Stewart, and Linda Lovelace, threw herself at me, then yes, I would definitely think twice.

But it ain’t gonna happen, is it?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Ghosts of the Forum says:

That TSN story about Patches is bunk. “They aren’t shopping but teams are asking about him.”

In other news, 29 teams are asking about Sidney Crosby…

There’s no way we deal our leading scorer, who’s big and on a great contract unless it’s a massive, massive deal.

• twilighthours says:

This just in: we’re here to report that there is nothing to report.

• Bill says:

If the Habs DID want to make a major change to the team, Pacioretty would be one guy that could be traded as part of a major package, fetching a major return.

If you want to talk about getting a star player – and people talk about it here all the time – you have to be prepared to offer something attractive.

Pacioretty would be incredibly attractive in a trade. He’s got a long contract with an amazingly low cap hit for his production. I’d be curious to know how many players have scored more goals than Pacioretty since the beginning of the 2011-2012 season. I bet it’s not too many.

So you could trade Pacioretty … you’d just have to get something amazing back. I wouldn’t do it myself. He’s the team’s leading scorer two years running, a top-flight winger, and that cap-hit is just way too friendly for me to consider it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Say Ash says:

Whoa, whoa. Hang on. We’re getting Crosby? That’s awesome, news!

Pretty good read here from Brad Marsh as he talks about what it takes to be a good Head Coach, discusses his relationships with all his previous coaches. Some good insights.

• arcosenate says:

Great read, Tom Watt sounds like a real piece of work. Although there are two sides to everything I suppose. Everyone hated Bowman in Montreal, and look what he did….

11. Hobie Hansen says:

Max Pacioretty for Evander Kane, I think if you’re the Habs you make that move in a second. They’ll give you around the same amount of goals but Kane will play with a lot more fire!

Don’t get me wrong, I love Pacioretty, he’s one of my favs on the team, but in today’s NHL – Kane is a bit more valuable to a team. Especially a team starving for a physical power forward.

I have a feeling that tonight is going to be a stinker.

13. ClutchNGrab says:

From Dreger:

“Phaneuf’s agent did make a ballpark offer a couple of weeks ago, the contract being in the seven to eight-year range with the finances above $7 million per year. ”

That would be awesome!

• Cal says:

Talk about an untradeable contract. The laffs would be insane. Phaneuf is worth about $4mil, because Dion disappears against tough players and provides other teams great scoring opportunities as he ducks for cover.

• mrhabby says:

disagree…the leafs either pay it or he moves on and somebody else will surely pay it. Not much of a fan but he logs big minutes and i think his game has improved from his Calgary days….the market will pay it.

• Timo says:

That would mean Subban can request upward of 10m per without any reservation.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Phaneuf isn’t awful, hate to say it. Rather have him at 7 than Letang at 7.25

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks Clutch. I always take what Dreger says with a grain of salt as he tends to do a lot of the grunt work for the Leafs.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Actually, Phaneuf is their best Dman by a mile – you better hope they don’t get him at a bargain otherwise they’ll have that much more cap space to add another piece!

He’s not Subban, but he’s still pretty good and definitely the best the Leafs have got.

I don’t know, I realize he has to play their toughest minutes, but I might prefer Franson over Phaneuf, and I definitely think Rielly is going to become a very good dman.

The Leafs Defence is actually quite average right now, with Gardiner almost regressing in his play. Fraser is the Leafs version of Murray but they play him much more. Gunnarson is just a steady dman, but nothing to write home about.

Phaneuf may be their best dman, but that isn’t a compliment to their defence.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I haven’t watched Franson or Phaneuf closely enough, but I’m almost positively certain that Franson is nowhere near Phaneuf in terms of defensive ability. I think that Franson is at best a #3-4 Dman and not a first pairing guy.

I think Phaneuf is a first pairing defender though not elite. Yeah, Phaneuf has been a pylon in the past, but a Leaf friend of mine is adamant that his skating has improved recently.

14. Luke says:

Habs/Sabres ticket AND a free donut?

Today just keeps getting better…

15. Steeltown Hab says:

Fantasy GM time…hate being this guy but:

From MTL: 1st Rd Pick, Rene Bourque, Colberg, Christian Thomas

from WIN: Evander Kane + irrelavant throw in.

Worth an offer.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Kooch7800 says:

I think it would take Beaulieu, Bourque and and First for Kane

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

Try Pacioretty and Beaulieu. You may get lucky and hit with Eller, Diaz and a 1st round pick but I’d hang up on that if I were the Jets.

Better advice: Don’t waste your time going after Evander Kane. For the millionth time – Winnipeg will not trade him.

“thoroughbred”

• Steeltown Hab says:

We trade Eller we’re right back to square one in terms of looking for a Center for the future. Galchenyuk isn’t enough and Plekanec’s time will come in a couple yrs, that leaves us with no other C’s really when you need 3.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• bwoar says:

WE… WE… however there’s another team in the equation and the players THEY need are equally important to making a trade happen. You ain’t gonna get E9 from the Jets without giving until it hurts, dude.

We have 4 offensive centres right now. I’d trade Eller+Diaz+1st for Kane tomorrow and laugh my face off. Given the Jets have a weak GM, it may even be possible.

“thoroughbred”

• Steeltown Hab says:

Desharnais Briere have no significant future. Bournival I can see as a real good 3LC or top 6/9 winger. You have Galchenyuk and Eller as 1 and 2, MTL can’t afford to lose that with nothing coming in the prospect system.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• bwoar says:

Steel you still need to address the other team’s needs, not just those of the Habs.

“thoroughbred”

• Habitforming says:

Thats a bit of a stretch.

Patches is at least the equal to Kane with each only having hit 30 goals once, and adding Beaulieu is just a massive overpayment.

Trading Patches for Kane is at best a lateral move. I say at best because we have no idea if his attitude would gel in the room.

What happened to including DD, Moen and a 6th round pick, thought that was standard for any trade?

16. The story in the link from TSN says the Habs aren’t shopping Max Pac but that other teams are calling about him. Just a few scenarios for folks based on this story and the developments on the ice over the last few games.

1) Would you trade him if you could get a similar power forward who’s got a bit more “grit?”

2) Would you trade him for a bona fide sniper?

3) Would you trade him in a package deal along with DD, now that he’s showing signs of life?

*Edit* here’s the link:

And one last option 4) Would you trade him after taking a DNA sample so that you could hopefully unlock his Wolverine healing powers?

DDonais

• Kooch7800 says:

It would have to be for a big time player or players for that to happen. Max is a good skater and a 30 plus goal scorer with a really cheap deal in a cap world. Not something that comes by very often

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Walmyr says:

Hello man…

1) No. No reason to trade Max Pac because he is our best winger

2) No. No reason to trade Max Pac because he is our best winger

3) No. No reason to trade Max Pac because he is our best winger

cheers

• Habitforming says:

Personally, the only way I move Max and his sweet contract is if the return is at the very least equal, and the trade partner takes DD with him for prospect or picks (or even an equal salary player that isn’t afraid of the corners or hitting someone).

Since the chances of that are the same as me winning the lottery without buying a ticket, I’d be happy keeping Max for his career.

• Phil C says:

I would only trade him for a gross overpayment. Pacioretty still has some upside left in his game I think. I would hate to see a repeat of the John LeClair trade.

• mr_jmac says:

No way. With a cap hit of 4.5 per year for the next 5 years this is one of the best values in the NHL for a 30 goal scorer.

Only if the return is a Lamborghini that CAN tow a boat.

• bwoar says:

What Kooch said.

Given his cap hit, I’d keep him. He’s not the PF people hoped for, but he can hold his own physically and score 30+ regularly. 4.5M for that? It’s just too good a deal to trade away unless you work something for a Malkin, etc. coming the other way.

“thoroughbred”

• I think I’d only consider trade option 3. Not because I don’t like DD, but because I think otherwise trading DD would make Max angry. And we all know what he does when he’s angry. ;)

Even then, I’d only entertain it if we could get someone like Kane from Winnipeg or–I hate to even say it–Lucic from Boston. Note that I said, “someone like” but even so, I have to go and wash the bad taste from my mouth.

DDonais

17. Mattyleg says:

Just to continue a conversation below with Seps:

We can’t trade Diaz now and not replace him with another defenceman. We can’t bring up Tinordi or Beaulieu now and have them sitting in the press-box or rotating with Bouillon and Murray. We also can’t have a rookie defenceman playing regular minutes. We tried that at the beginning of the season with Tinordi, and look how that turned out.

Defencemen, especially ‘defensive’ ones, need to be brought up when they are a bit older. Goalies even older than that.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Agree 100%.

Diaz is fine as long as his contract and minutes reflect that of his talents of a #4 – #5 D-MAN. He’s underrated defensively and can be a good option on the #2 PP unit.

He’s effective if he plays this role and I’d be happy if they resign him in the range of 3.5m x 3y

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Steeltown Hab says:

You play Beaulieu now regularly, and you have a really effective Dman on the bottom pairing come playoffs. I’m confident he can be better than Diaz. Hasn’t looked out of place at all in his NHL stints

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mattyleg says:

I disagree, Steel.
        He’s still very young, and won’t be responsible enough in his own zone. You think that Diaz has lapses? Wait til you get Beaulieu in there at this stage in his career!

I do agree that he will be better than Diaz, but not for a few years.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Kooch7800 says:

I think if Beaulieu was to play in the NHL for the rest of the season he may be ready for the playoffs. His hockey IQ is great. But I agree Matty he would def have some rough games. We are not a cup contender at this point and next years cap might be a little tight. If the offer for Diaz was right for a forward I think MB would look at it.

Diaz is a good player but unfortunately, you have to give to get if they are going to get better as a whole

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• bwoar says:

We need to replace Diaz with a right-handed D-man though. Early or late, we don’t have enough guys for the right side and Diaz is a viable option. I’m not saying we must keep him, but it’s imperative we get a righty for the top 6. Murray and Boullion are there as depth but not

Beaulieu is -4 in Hamilton and not looking at all ready for primetime. Actually, his line after 80 AHL games is
        9G, 28A, 37P, -12. 69 PIM.

Looks very much like a rookie pro’s first year out of junior to me. Adjustments and work on the weak points in his game. He simply isn’t very good on his side of centre. I would be surprised to see him unless we have injuries; it seems to be an organizational plan to have NHL depth rather than call up guys too soon. He’s got NHL talent, which we can all see, but he shouldn’t be put in position to fail.

“thoroughbred”

18. JarryPark says:

Maritime Ronn – sorry for the delay on your Border Wait Times on game nights – damn job got in the way lol

It has been decent – 15 mins (ish). however the key is when you leave – has to be before 4 PM from Oakville/Burlington area.

Cobblestones is a great wing joint behind the First Niagara – after 6PM you’ll be lucky to get service…so if you go – go early.

19. Say Ash says:

The last time Hanukkah and U.S. Thanksgiving coincided was in 1888. The next time won’t be until 79,043 years from now. Will we have won a Cup by then?

20. sCOTT1243 says:

Heading to Buffalo from Toronto with pops to have some wings and catch the Habs… Waiting patiently to hear who is playing, who is in net etc.

Anyone heard who is in nets.

21. Psycho29 says:

As much as I dislike the CBC hockey broadcasts for the most part, its kind of sad that the hockey on CityTV will be called “Hockey Night In Canada on CityTV”

22. Bripro says:

Good morning all, albeit late morning.
    It’s nice to see some posts other than the TSN/RDS tanking at the hands of Rogers/Sportsnet/TVA.
    Not only am I still seriously miffed by this one stroke of the pen, but to add a boatload of salt on the proverbial wound, did you all see/read what Butta** / Butthead had to say?
    “…for the sake of OUR game.”
    Did you get that? He includes himself in the confines of hockey as being his. Seriously? That really makes my blood boil.
    I wish the Bruins would suit that little dweeb up and put him on a line with Marchand and have them both play our Habs with Parros in the lineup.
    He mortgages Canadians’ sport to support his sunbelt, then says that it’s for the betterment of the game.
    For whose betterment? His own and his group of suited up slitherers.
    If I have to pay more for the privilege of watching our game, I’m done.
    I can’t stand that little rat!

• PrimeTime says:

People tend to over-react when their “blood is boiling”….. Hockey has never been more popular or as competitive. Players make more money than ever, and Canadians will have access to more games on any platform. For the anti-American contingent, this has nothing to do with US teams other than increased revenue which benefits the league as a whole. In fact Canadian teams get a higher percentage of the increased revenue! Plus it will increase the salary cap which again benefits rich teams such as Montreal. What’s the problem.?

23. Caesar says:

I really hope Rogers TVA not only keep the Canadiens Express they do an English version. That is one of the best ways to watch the Habs if you miss a game.

24. Mattyleg says:

Morning Tout Le Monde!

Today’s weather in Montreal is complete sh!t; the worst imaginable combination of meteorological garbage. Added to this is Mr Clever’s decision to store his winter tires under his deck.

Cue scenes of dragging bagged tires, full of ice and water, through clayey mud, while gobs of slush fall down the back of my neck.

How has your morning been?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Would love to be a fly on the wall at the next MLSE board meeting. Have to believe the Rogers people will be beaming at the meeting while the Bell people will be eating crow. This ownership group should hopefully get entertaining now with all kinds of nastiness between the two groups, thus ensuring the Leafs remain Cupless for many more seasons.

26. Psycho29 says:

Not sure if this was posted yet, a complete look at the deal, plus many questions still to be answered. (Looks like jobs will be cut at CBC because of this)….

27. krob1000 says:

Tim Gleason available….I would be all over that if I were the Habs. NOt sure what could get it done but he is intriguing

• Mike D says:

Pass. He is a slightly older and certainly less effective version of Josh Gorges. Oh, and he’s a little more more expensive as well. We have absolutely NO need for that.

The rumoured deal (which has traction and comes from credible sources) is Gleason for JM Liles (who the Leafs currently have buried in the minors). Again, we have NO need for something like that.

- Honestly yours
      Twitter: @de_benny

• krob1000 says:

Gleason is every bit Josh Gorges equal with the puck and on the defensive side…has a crazy streak and is a better hitter and is crazy mean..not the toughest but crazy kind of like Wiz was.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Krob
          Gleason dropped his gloves against Lucic and went toe to toe after Lucic cheap shotted a team mate. It ended up a draw, but that shows some good team caring and courage.
          On top of that he can play the game and is a good shut down guy with half decent mobility

• krob1000 says:

I agree completely….I am just saying he isn’t a heavyweight(may have survived that one with Lucic but if they fight 10 times I suspect Lucic wins 8 or 9 of them…which he would against most players but I would’t consider Gleasona heavyweight)…but is definitely crazy enough to fight anyone and is downright mean…you whack him or hit Price and look out, he may drop his gloves or he may tomohawk you but you are not gettting away without some sort of pain being inflicted.It would be nice to have someone playing top tier minutes who was that tough…he could play with Pk and Markov Emelin reunite…

• Maritime Ronn says:

Mike

Gleason is only 30 and a heck of a lot stronger than Gorges.
        Next year Bouillon probably retires and Murray is not resigned.

UFA Diaz will want $3M + and maybe $3.5M.
        Gleason is at $4M with 2 more years
        Diaz can be replaced on a 3rd pair by Beaulieu/Tinordi.

Cost is always a factor, and no one knows what that is.
        Caro may just hang on until the new year or 30 days before trade deadline when the price would go up for a guy like that

• Mike D says:

I hear what you and Krob are saying, Ronn. It’s not that I think Gleason is garbage, but the guy has no points this year and has been a minus player 3 out of the last 4 years. He showed some promise earlier in his career but seems to be in a decline. If he was that good, why would Carolina be trying to move him?

I agree that we could use a little more ‘mean’, but with Emelin, Murray (for now), and Tinordi down the road I think we have at least some. More would be good, but they also need to skate, defend well, and maybe have a little offensive upside.

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hey mike

It’ certainly not do or die with Gleason.
            I was really more curious as to the asking price

• Mike D says:

I’ll also add this:

While I’m sure Gleason is a better skater than Murray, Murray brings similar characteristics and considerably more size. When you factor in that Gleason makes 4mil and Murray is only at 1.5ml, I think we’d be better off re-signing Murray even if it’s as a 7th Dman (if Tinordi is ready next year).

- Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

• krob1000 says:

The point would be to have a guy who can play considerable muinutes with that mean streak. Gleason is an 18-20 minute guy and if he played with PK and PK hit someone, he would have his back. Murray can;t dress regularly it seems and neither can Parros….it would bmean for at least a third of the game there would be a crease clearing mean ass dman on the ice…something the Habs could use. I am not expecting offense and I think he is basically an even defender…not a laibility but not going to generate much offensively either but would be ideal partner for someone like PK, Diaz or even Emelin…allowing them to do their things and he would handle the problems in front and skirmishes,etc. I think he would make Gorges expendable….or mean not signing Diaz personally. I am not convinced Tinordi can handle regular minutes even next year…maybe as a 7th guy…but as of now he is not on the radar…and until he actually amkes it and proves he can play those miutes he cannot be factored in. Yout ake the sure player and then make room if need be.

28. Psycho29 says:

I posted this last night….

On Sportsnet they showed how last Saturday’s schedule might have looked like under the new agreement:

Wild-Jets on Sportsnet 3PM
    Pens-Habs on CBC 7PM
    Sens-Wings on CityTV 7PM
    Caps-Leafs on Sportsnet 7PM
    Hawks-Canucks on CBC 10PM

I guess it could get confusing on the English side, are the Habs on SportsNet or CBC tonight? I imagine some Habs games could be on the Montreal CityTV channel also?

I wonder if there is any language in the NHL/Rogers deal as it pertains to preventing the Cable company from making games pay per view.

Rogers needs to bring in a pantload of money to pay for this deal, i don’t really see how down the road big games or playoffs don’t become pay per view. In speaking to my sports bar owner friend yesterday, he expects to get jammed even more on costs just to show a hockey game.

My concerns with the deal have less and less to do with the personalities producing or presenting the product, and more to do with how hard I will get gouged (ramrodded may be a better descriptor) in order to get my Habs hockey fix.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

If Rogers overpaid for the rights to televise NHL hockey I’m sure they’ll just increase my phone bill to make up the difference.

• Cal says:

There will be pay-per-view and it will be at playoff time.
      $5.2 bill is a lot of scratch here in Canada.

• PrimeTime says:

Rogers will increase revenue through an increases of subscribers to their network and through advertising. They will be showing more games through TV and from other digital platforms. An increase of space and audience brings in more dollars. Anyone thinking Rogers will move to a Pay-per-view format is being neurotic.

Never before has someone so politely called me neurotic, thanks, I enjoyed that!

I do love how your posts generally cause the other poster to engage in a thoughtful and positive discussion.

30. third generation haber says:

Max-Pac is just entering his prime now, trading him would be a huge risk because we still don’t know his ceiling. Furthermore, since Gally and Chucky are yet to blossom, Max-Pac may have tremendous linemates in a couple of years. It’s much too early to trade him, if ever.

If we do make the mistake, I’d want Huberdeau in return, minimum!

j.p. murray

31. Phil C says:

I have absolutely no problem with Pacioretty’s style of hockey. He uses his speed to create space instead of physicality. As a defensemen, when you have a guy like Pacioretty coming down his wing at you, you better start backing up or he will blow right by you. Forcing defensemen to back up creates space for him. He uses his size to protect the puck, and he uses his hockey smarts and lethal shot to score. In fact, If I was his coach, I would be seriously upset if he started running around throwing body checks with his history of concussions. With his current style, he can have a long career and score lots of goals for the Habs.

If I were to change anything in his game, I would like to see him force his way into the ice between the dots a little more, fight for the valuable ice. I would also like to see him stop at the net instead of skating around it on the rush following a shot. He has been going to the net in the last few games, so he needs to keep doing that.

Overall, I love the way he plays hockey. He can easily be a 40 goal scorer, so you don’t want that kind of talent running around throwing hits. Give that role to the guys with cement hands.

• third generation haber says:

On a more physical team (any other team in the league!), Max’s lack of hitting would go unnoticed, but on the habs, a big boy who doesn’t hit is like the tallest guy on a basketball team refusing to dunk; glaring!

j.p. murray

• Ali says:

he hasn’t been as physical since the Chara/stanchion incident. He was hammering guys on the forecheck before that.

• Phil C says:

I think you are right. I think the Letang hit suspension slowed him down a little bit as well.

I don’t mind Pacioretty adjusting his game after the Chara incident. Even Eric Lindros has said that if he had his time back, he would change his playing style to make it easier on his head.

32. gmur says:

In response to TSN rumors: Trade Pacioretty? For what? A big winger who can score?

Maybe he’s somewhat inconsistent in terms of putting points up, but other aspects of his game make up for that. Who would you be willing to acquire for him? Teams are interested because big, talented wingers are what teams need – and there aren’t many out there.

Here’s an idea: package a couple of small, ‘talented’ forwards and get another big, talented winger!

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya those rumors are ridiculous. To lesser extent, trading Bourque wouldn’t be smart. I think you want to add another big forward to go along with those guys, not subtract one.

• zephyr says:

agreed. i’d love to see gionta & briere traded. bourque was a stud in the playoffs. i’m not sure u can have gallagher & dd on the same line in the playoffs. diaz is also expendable imo. moen could go too in the right deal.
        is tarnasky viable? he didn’t impress much in pre-season but he was player of the week in the ahl.
        I think max, galchenyuk, Gallagher, eller, bournival & even pleks & prust are untouchable up front. subban & emelin on d. resign markov for sure.

• Phil C says:

Last year, The Habs got lots of calls about Eller and Bourque. Eller had been benched a few times and Bourque was coming off a brutal season. The other GMs are like sharks, they smell a little blood in the water and they start circling around. They are doing the same thing to Kane in Winnipeg.

What I would like to know is why the other GMs think Pacioretty is unhappy. I know he fired his agent, but there must be more to the story.

33. Hstands4Hockey says:

Anyone else heading down to Buffalo to see them game tonight?

Glad to see everyone healthy, last few times I’ve been down these they’ve had half the team hurt and a backup playing.

Also, pretty much a guaranteed loss tonight, I think I’m 1-6 all time in Buffalo.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

34. Ozmodiar says:

After the deal was announced yesterday, folks around here lamented right away, without hearing the specifics of the deal or knowing what Rogers had in mind.

As the details emerge, the deal doesn’t sound too bad for fans.

- minimal effect on the French broadcasts (RDS), with TVA getting the Saturday night games. On Saturday, Habs fans can choose between TVA and English broadcasts.
    - Saturday night games involving Canadian teams will be broadcast on different SN channels with no blackouts. Leaf and Habs games on at the same time, on different channels, nationwide, without blackouts.
    - extended pre and post game shows on Saturday and Sundays. Sounds like they’re going to try the NFL model. Should be interesting.

It seems people are judging the deal based on how SN does things now and based on the current on-air personalities who are all interchangeable.

35. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends! I hope all are buckled in for the days weather. I’ve read my Canadian friends post here the past two days concerning the new TV deal for the Canadian team broadcast. Not unexpectadley, there has been no press of this deal in the States. Don’t get me wrong, I love your passion concerning everything hockey but the business side of sports is as big a turn off to me as the salt peter infused watered down Molson beer. :)

Hopefully tonight’s game will get us all talking about what we all love about the game. The on ice stuff.

CHeers.

I have always felt that TSN and specifically Bob McKenzie and Dreger often took a league protection view on controversial plays. It just always seemed to me that they never wanted to call out the league when the opportunity was there. Will be interested if we see a different Mackenzie and Dreger throughout the course of this season.

• Cal says:

McKenzie is fun on trade deadline day and UFA day. Dreger, as always, is a league whore.
      Other than those days, I don’t bother with them.

• Curtis O Habs says:

Good point, however they may not want to jeopardize future employment. It would be refreshing to hear them speak their minds.

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Birthday Boy +1! So glad you posted this. I noticed after the Chara attempted murder that the first person to get himself out there was MacKenzie. I’ve watched carefully since and have noticed that patern repeat itself whenever there was a controversy hit the league wanted to ignore, as the Lucic attempted murder on Miller.

To tell you the truth I hadn’t noticed the same with Dreger unless it pertained to a Leaf. He seems to be more of a Leaf tool then a league tool.

Of course that’s just my opinion but it seems that today, reporters – in sports or otherwise – want to infuse themselves into many stories instead of just reporting them. Opinion pieces are fine but I prefer the reporter report and let the reader form his own opinion.

CHeers bud!

• Ozmodiar says:

They’re insiders, so they can’t really rock the boat too much. If they do, the flow of information will be cut off.

Personally, I’d like to hear less “analysis” from these insider guys. That should be left to the analysts. I don’t care what Dreger or Bob Mac have to say about how a goalie is playing or if they thought a hit was a cheap shot (actually, I don’t really care what most analysts have to say either :)).

Anyway, I think RDS have it right (between periods). In one segment, analyze the game. In the next segment, bring in The Insider.

I was thinking more directly as it relates to hits and the suspensions (or lack of suspensions) that follow.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, they’re not going to say anything controversial. Here’s what I’d like to hear from them about a suspension: “I spoke to Shanahan (or league source), who said the player’s history played a part in the decision … blah, blah….”

Then, hand off to the analysts (Panger, Ward, Kipper) who can b!tch about the decision, etc…

37. Maritime Ronn says:

According to Pierre Lebrun, it appears the Canadian teams will be receiving a bigger portion of the new TV money vs the American teams…something called “Invasion fees”

” Divided by the 30 clubs, that’s an average of $175 million over 12 years per team ($14.5 million per year), although not every team will get the same share, a source said. The seven Canadian NHL teams will get a bigger share of the TV pie due to “invasion fees.”

Invasion fees are designed to compensate the Canadian teams for the local inventory lost to the national TV deals”

38. habsfan0 says:

Is tonight’s game vs the Sabres another measuring stick game?
    Or is it merely a trap game?

39. John Q Public says:

♥ ☀ ❤ ☀ ❤

40. Bash says:

Kadri plays the punk again: a little shot from behind, a two hander across the chest and finally Calvert has had enough. Too bad the plick went down so early.

I must confess that I am a little disturbed by my reaction. I really dislike Kadri! He is dirty and needs a few more comeupems!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

The ripple effects of this deal could really be huge as it pertains to the CBC. I m curious if the CRTC still has to approve this deal and if they will be a fly in the ointment.

• Chris says:

I cannot think of a reason why the CRTC could or would get involved here. The NHL makes its broadcasting decisions, and it was an open bidding process.

Yah I hear you Chris, as I said I am curious.

• Bill says:

I think the CRTC would only be involved if the deal involved the sale of an actual broadcaster or cable company, or if it affected Canadian content requirements.

I don’t think their mandate extends to the sale of rights to broadcast sports events.

Full Breezer 4 Life

41. DipsyDoodler says:

I hate to be that guy again…

I see some of you would like to see Max traded. Maybe for a big winger who “uses his size”.

Wrong again. Yeah Max doesn’t use his size much, but HE SCORES GOALS! That is the point of the whole exercise. To put the puck in the other team’s net.

Here’s a cautionary tale. Two “wingers with size” that you people recently lusted over are David Clarkson and Brooks Laich.

Laich has scored all of 20 goals and 50 points in the 125 games he’s played since signing a $27M/6 yrs contract. He’s a -10 in 24 games this season. (Over that stretch Max has 60 goals, 115 points; same cap hit)

Clarkson will earn $37M over the next 7 years and he’s on pace for about 30 points so far this season (OK, he will probably do better than that).

Pacioretty is a great Hab. He’s a pure goal scorer and a smart soft-spoken guy. He gives to the community.

Trade Max? Trade yourselves.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Dipsy

I’m with you.

Over and above what you mentioned, he just turned 25 last week and is signed for 5 more years at a Cap Hit of only $4.5M.

He is a Habs draft pick and they know him well.
      When you trade a guy like Max, you have to at least replace his production or have someone step in and do it.
      Then, sometimes you don’t ‘really’ know what you’re getting back.

This whole trade Max thing was started by the TSN bozos that said the Habs were getting calls…well, the Habs are getting calls every day about their core guys like Price-Subban-the 2 Gallys-Emelin, and Max.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Could we keep Max and also get a big winger who uses his size?

• Marcusman says:

I agree…#67 should be one of our building blocks going forward. We simple need an upgrade for #21,17,32,48,51

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m glad you’re that guy again! For the love of me I can never figure out how some here feel as they do about Patches. We seem to always want out teams players to be different. Patches is a goal scorer in a league where scoring goals is at a premium. He also plays a pretty solid two-way game as well and has done a pretty good job killing penalties as well.

I don’t get the “soft” comments from some as he’s as physical as any player not named Emelin and Murray that we have. He provides excellent puck support to his line,mates on every shift. Is seldom caught out of position. Works his butt off every night.

All of this PLUS a CAP friendly hit. We’re so fortunate to have him on our team.

• netninja says:

I agree with you Dipsy, we shouldn’t trade Max, but i’ve had a feelign for a while that he would get traded because he speaks his mind mor often than not. 3 examples I can think of, when he was bouncing around between the big show and the AHL, or playing on the 3rd line earlier on, he openly spoke out about it. The again this season when he was talking about the fans telling him to crash the net rather than trust in his style, and once more when defending his teammates.

To me there’s nothing wrong with him speaking his mind, but i can’t think of many others who have been a part of the habs who was this outspoken and didn’t get traded.

Just my $0.02

42. Cal says:

Only 12 hours until game time. After all that business news yesterday, it’s time to worry about line combos and not tv packages.
    Funny that the NHL gets a one stop shop and now we the fans can’t. Excluding Center Ice (and all those blackouts) of course.

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Tough schedule coming up for the Habs.
    7 games in the next 11 days starting with 3 games in 4 nights this week.
    Next week, the Habs play 4 games in 6 days Monday through Saturday.

Great time to be healthy and have NHL experienced vets to fill in as the inevitable injuries will pop up.

Rene Bourque is cleared to play, but Therrien will sit him and not mess with a win streak. Same goes for Murray.

44. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Was just looking on StubHub to see what it would cost to see the Habs in Buffalo tonight.
    A huge difference from Montreal prices.

Center ice 4 rows up: $84
    Between the blueline-net: $67
    Behind the net: $55

• JarryPark says:

I share season tickets with 2 others and my cost for 14 games is $1400 for my pair. 8 rows up behind Miller. Of course I have the 2 Habs games.

Can’t beat that.

• JarryPark says:

I’ll be in MTL on Dec 7 vs Buffalo and that pair cost me $430 up in the Dejardins section.

• Maritime Ronn says:

How is that Niagra border crossing these days?

• smiler2729 says:

Major snowstorm there today.

_______________________________________
            SPORTSNET SUCKS
            Jack Edwards is a clam.
            Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
            The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

• Maritime Ronn says:

We have a dandy day going to happen here today.
            + 13….but about 80mm of rain and wind gusts of 80km-100km.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I got detained for an hour a few months ago while they ripped by car apart looking for drugs. (Wish I was joking)

——————————————————————–
            Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
            @Hstands4Hockey

• Hstands4Hockey says:

I paid $120 for about the same seats a few months ago. Same thing happened when i went to see Ottawa – paid $120 for platinum seats (still insanely cheap relatively) only for them to be selling for $80 same day.

Lesson learned – buy same day tickets for Buffalo games.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

45. The Jackal says:

I still don’t like this deal, but obviously it’s too early to tell.
    But if they greatly improve the commentators and have hockey content like the NFL does – as in lots of analysis, pre-game stuff, etc., then it may actually be good.
    I’m sad TSN did not get the deal but hopefully the good guys can get jobs on Sportsnet to displace the current contingent of freaking morons.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

46. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Watching last night’s drubbing of the Weeds by the Coats, or whatever they’re called. I’m experiencing some warming post facto schadenfreude. Or maybe it’s the amazing beer I’m drinking. (Harpoon’s Saison Various. Wow!)

The Weeds’ tough guys are such liabilities. Fraser was responsible for the second goal against, and with all the class he could muster, pushed Comeau while he was celebrating with his teammates. Then, after his turnover led to the Coats’ fourth goal, Fraser reacted by breaking his stick on the ice. Why is this guy playing in the NHL again? Oh yeah, he can bare knuckle box…

Kessel’s head looks like a boiled ham. Can’t wait until he is selected last at the all star game. Again.

Really like Matt Calvert of the Coats. Prevented an icing, then punched Kadri’s face repeatedly. What’s not to like? Wouldn’t trade him for Pacioretty, though…

As I’m watching on NHL Lamecenter, I am able to choose the SportsNet Weeds broadcast, which makes me miss Danny Gallivan keenly, and makes me hate the Weeds announcer. That being said, the Hockey Center panel took it to the Leafs pretty hard, especially Doug MacLean, so props to them for that.

Go Habs! Keep playing hockey and winning on the scoresheet!

47. formerly known as the hc says:

Wow. Bell really got their ashes kicked.

48. The Dude says:

Well looks like Bettman’s done good for the League,players ,owners and Fans…a win win.See short people have a purpose,eh. :)

49. ths says:

My people are saying Patches is not on the market but if the right deal came along – Any Quebecois over 5’5″ – They would go for it in a heartbeat

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

50. 416erHabsFan says:

I’m a little slow, Does this new t.v deal mean I can watch Canadiens games in Southern Ontario/Leafs Region?

51. Sportfan says:

Watching the panel you wonder what is going on in the heads of Dreger and Mackenzie seeing as they still have a long contract with TSN.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

52. JM says:

As long as it makes the team better for the long haul. I don’t care who they trade. Just don’t trade for the sake of getting a new face …

53. kirbhabs says:

If it gets my HABS on out west … Then I am all for it.

Plus Patches is not going anywhere… And he is a potential steel for his contract

I say we go after Vanek in the off season…

According to MacKenzie, Habs are saying they are absolutely NOT shopping Pacioretty, but are listening to offers. Which effing is it?

55. Seps says:

I actually wouldn’t be mad if Pacioretty got traded if he left along side Desharnais and Diaz, and we got two sizable forwards back. Gotta take the good with the bad sometimes.

56. PrimeTime says:

Knee jerk reactions are pretty common here so I’m not surprised by the poll answers. People should really learn all sides before jumping to conclusions.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

CBC’s perspective, per Hubert Lacroix, chief executive officer of CBC: “…CBC pays no rights costs for the broadcasting of hockey games. Rogers is bearing the sole risk around hockey revenues; (they sell the inventory and keep the revenue – the overall selling process is yet to be defined), while we continue to make Canada’s game available to all Canadians wherever they live.”

58. PADPZ says:

At this point, I hope TVASport gets all the games.

59. Habitant in Surrey says:

Globe and Mail; Eric Atkins: ‘Rogers, NHL agreement is a big loss for TSN’

…good article explaining the numbers and corporate strategy of the deal

I heard Bettman tell me on the fan590 that this deal was better for me, that’s good enough for me! I thank Bettman for caring about me the fan, what a great guy!

In 4 yrs sportsnet gets to dump CBC , yup I am really sure Rogers is concerned deeply that the CBC continue to be the fabric of hockey on TV. I am sure in 4 yrs time there is no chance in hell the costs to watch hockey goes through the roof. Just because the new media deal is backloaded (yup clearly designed to circumvent immediate customer dissatisfaction) there is no way the deal looks completely different in 4 yrs, why would a cable company do that? No way Bettman would let that happen.

61. thehabsfan29 says:

Maybe Drew Stafford could be a good fit for the habs. yes he had a off year last year but hes had pretty decent numbers.

Not sure if he would be a upgrade over bourque though.
    Teddy Purcell was another name that came to mind but I don’t think the bolts would trade him since he just signed a extension.

My pick would still be umberger since kane’s value is way too high.

Thoughts?

• Mattyleg says:

Umberger would be great, but what on Earth would Columbus want in return for one of their only scorers who is producing?

Wisniewski is leading the team in points!

Also note his pricetag of $4.6mil. That’s for three more years after this one.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

62. Habitant in Surrey says:

…what TSN may have pizzed down the toilet: …TSN currently brings in about $375-million a year in revenue and has nine million subscribers, according to the broadcast regulator. Its French-language counterpart, RDS, contributes an additional $170-million in revenue.

63. Ozmodiar says:

Ha! I remember people
    saying that Bettman should resign after the lockout.

Then he goes out and signs a $5 billion canadian TV deal. People don’t like him, but he gets the job done.

• PADPZ says:

Whether people like him or not, you said it.

He gets the job done. And with a 5 billion deal on his resume, which is probably the biggest TV deal ever signed by the NHL.. Yep.

What if I really hate Bettman and don’t trust him?

• Mattyleg says:

Yeah, but what’s The Job?
      Pouring ever-increasing amounts of money into the pockets of owners at the expense of the fans and the game itself?

That’s a sh!t job, and because the role of the commissioner has changed from being a facilitator/chairman to a CEO, there need to be changes to the higher-management structure, because one short, irritating man has far too much power over too many aspects of a game he still doesn’t seem to understand.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. Ozmodiar says:

Kypeos coming up on sportsnet. I guess it’s time to start my desensitization.

65. Say Ash says:

Dallas got with Benn and Seguin off the scoresheet – are you friggin kidding me? Stupid hockey pool!

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

Keith Pelley, President, Rogers Media: “Not to mention all of the panel shows. Sunday will be Rogers’ day to exclusively broadcast national NHL games in Canada. The plan is to have non-stop, NFL-style pre-game shows, panel shows and post-game shows starting in the afternoon on both Saturday and Sunday. There will be lots of room for more of Mr. Cherry if both he and Rogers want the additional exposure. ”

…sounds like a hockey-hound’s wet-dream to Me

…though it may cut into Boone’s Liverpool soccer-time slots :)

67. Habitant in Surrey says:

Shoalts; Globe & Mail: Montreal Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher grew wide-eyed at the news Hockey Night in Canada was leaving the grip of the CBC for the control of Rogers Communications Inc. and asked the question on the minds of millions of Canadians: “So what’s going to happen to Don Cherry?”

…ha, for those talkin’ that Don Cherry is now toast

…Globe and Mail’s Sports section with by-line saying We may in future be watching Cherry on 7 different channels

…THAT should make Boone’s day :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think it will still be considered a win if we keep Cherry but lose the entire HNIC panel and perspective on Saturday nights?

If we lose Stock, Cole (God bless) and maybe Healy, with a condensed version of Grapes, I’m happy. Oh, Hughson/Simpson too, get rid of them.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…agree or disagree with the guy, I am entertained :)

• Hobie Hansen says:

It’s really too bad about the CBC. Nothing beats Bob Cole, Dick Irvin, Harry Neale, Grapes, Ron MacLean, Scott Russell and a handful of others, 20 years ago.

The CBC simply didn’t add the right new talent to make me feel sorry for them. Stock is beyond brutal, Kevin weeks is OK, Healy always rambles on…no real loss with this reshuffle.

68. Sportfan says:

How about no Patches trade TSn…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

69. joeybarrie says:

Dallas scores 3 in 53 seconds.
    wow.

70. commandant says:

A funny take on how Dreger reacted to the news.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

71. Marc10 says:

I was pretty pissed when RDS took Radio-Can’s Saturday spot. I hate the idea of cable and pay per view. I’d rather a free view model with annoying ads than a ppv model with annoying ads.

That said, RDS and Pierre Houde in particular, call a good game and are all about the Habs. And it’s been good that you could get all your games in one place.

Now we’re back to multiple channels. RDS will likely keep its 60 regular season games and TVA will get the coveted Saturday slot and all the playoffs. No wonder TVA has been stocking up on RDS talent in the past few years. It’s really the B-team at the moment with some retreads in there, but that might change. The key will be to get a great play by play guy because Pierre Houde has been a worthy successor to the likes of Rene Lecavalier, Richard Garneau and Claude Quenneville. He’ll be missed come the playoffs.

Here’s hoping they don’t stuff it up. (As I view all my games through NHL GameCenter, I’ll be on the receiving end of their handy work unless I want to put up with Sportsnet or the other team’s telecast.)

• johnnylarue says:

I think it’s pretty cool that so many people appreciate Pierre Houde’s play-by-play. And I agree–his voice is now every bit as canonical as those of the greats you cited.

Having heard much of the homer-ific competition out there, I can say without hesitation that we are flat out lucky to have him.

72. Old Bald Bird says:

It’s hard to fathom that someone in the links above actually wrote an article about needing to keep Cherry on HNIC.

73. Hi Yall! I’ve been receiving some worried emails so let me save you all a note. I am alive. It’s the Christmas season and I am (as we say in PEI) packed chalk full of Christmas orders. My time is detailed to the minute all day long and most of the evenings until 15 Dec. After than I will be back to normal day to day activities.
    But while I’m here one quick note on the TV deal.
    Who gives a rat’s buttocks? I don’t listen to the intermission shows as it is, and I listen to 690 for any off ice entertainment.

Peter gets Buffalo, and Price back to back this weekend?
    That’s my plan.

Ref Sochi. Roberto Luongo may get #1 but his play is #2 :lol: . I wouldn’t let him tender my bantams, but hey he was there before so that’s all that matters eh TV clowns?

Merry Christmas