The hockey TV world was shaken up Tuesday with news that Rogers Communications is taking control of NHL television and multimedia rights in Canada following a blockbuster 12-year, $5.2-billion agreement with the league that kicks in next season.

CBC will continue to air Hockey Night in Canada and the TVA network will have the Canadian French-language multi-media rights.

The deal gives Rogers national rights to all NHL games, including the playoffs and Stanley Cup final on all its platforms and in all languages. Rogers media president Keith Pelley said the plan is to have the Stanley Cup final on CBC and that if a Canadian team were in the final, the possibility of simulcasts exist.

Canadiens fans will continue to see all 82 regular-season games, although they might have to make an adjustment in their cable or satellite package. While TVA has emerged as a sub-licensee for national French-language rights, the bulk of the regular-season package — 60 games — could still be televised on RDS. TVA will televise 22 games, including all Saturday night games on TVA Sports, which now has 1.6 million subscribers, and will carry any Canadiens playoff games and have the choice of other playoff series, including the Stanley Cup final.  Whether the other 60 regular-season games stay on RDS or move to TVA will be up to the NHL and the Canadiens to decide in the coming days or weeks.

What’s not certain at this point is what this means for Canadiens fans outside Quebec and whether TVA will be made available to them. TVA announced Tuesday that it will be coming out with a new channel, TVA Sports 2.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens’ Rene Bourque returned to the ice for practice Tuesday in Brossard after missing three games with a lower-body injury. Bourque was cleared to return to action, but won’t be in the lineup when the Canadiens face the Sabres Wednesday night in Buffalo (7 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Carey Price is expected to get the start in goal and coach Michel Therrien said that backup Peter Budaj will play in one of the two games later in the week with the Canadiens visiting the Washington Capitals on Friday night before playing host to the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday night at the Bell Centre.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice Tuesday:

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Bournival-White-Moen
Parros-Bourque

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Gorges
Bouillon-Diaz
Murray

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

NHL, Rogers reach 12-year broadcast deal worth $5.2 billion, montrealgazette.com

NHL, Rogers announce landmark deal, NHL.com

New TV deal will have minimal effect on Habs fans, by Pat Hickey

New deal a shot in the arm to TVA Sports, by Steve Faguy

Rogers, NHL reach landmark deal (video), sportsnet.ca

Concerns swirl over Don Cherry, traditional Saturday nights, montrealgazette.com

TSN bounced from Canadian TV hockey picture, montrealgazette.com

What new TV deal means for Canadian hockey fans, Globe and Mail

Canadiens vs. Sabres preview, NHL.com

Bourque will remain on sidelines against Sabres, montrealgazette.com

Galchenyuk, Gallagher make inroads on their own, Canadiens.com

Post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Sabres focus on power play, buffalosabres.com

Habs coach Gallant honoured by QMJHL, by Pat Hickey

Ex-NHLers sue league over concussions, montrealgazette.com

1. ProHabs says:

Does this new agreement mean that the HIO server will improve.

2. gmoan says:

Thoughts on Erat with the habs?

• scavanau says:

I can’t get past his name…

• Phil C says:

At $4.5M they would have to move a salary to fit him under the cap. I don’t think he would be an upgrade on anyone they would have to move out. I’d rather keep Gionta for example.

• Steven says:

I would never do it. He’s been ineffective on a good Caps offense. He has less goals than DD and at a higher cap hit. It would be like tying a ball and chain to your leg.

• joeybarrie says:

I can’t believe they traded Varlamov for that pick and then picked up Forsberg. I thought McPhee had pulled a great move, till they traded him for Erat….
      Traded Mathieu Perreault for an AHLer.
      Tomas Fleischmann for scott hannan and got pretty much nothing.
      Let Semin walk.
      And people cry about our GM.

3. Hobie Hansen says:

It sounds like Rogers is at least going to boost up the tech side of things. Sounds like you’ll have all kinds of easy to use options to view the Habs. Be it on your phone, tablet, laptop or television, you should be able to watch the game with ease, without having to F around with 20 different sites or whatever….:-).

Would be nice if you could just cancel cable all together and get all 82 Habs games and playoffs in HD online.

4. Sportfan says:

Gary Bettman shakes a lot when he speaks.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

5. slapshot777 says:

I am here in Newfoundland and Have Bell satellite. As long as I can get all the Habs games The rest I don’t care about.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

6. adadi says:

Could care less about the deal with Rogers but if it helps to silence Don Cherry than it is the best deal of all time.

7. mrhabby says:

As an Anglo Hab fan living in Ontario from what i have heard i will be able to see Habs games anytime they play and thats a good thing..no longer will there be just 1 game on a Saturday night…..come to think of it 1 game is so bush.
    the only issue i have is i do not want guys like Joe Bowen calling a Habs game. have to think that there will be plenty of new old /faces at Rogers soon enough.

8. bigjames says:

The one who looks the smartest is Renaud Lavoie. I was amazed he left RDS during the off season for TVA. seemed not to make sense. maybe he had the scoop long before anyone else. or at least was told some stuff by TVA when they were hiring him…

9. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Just as long as I can watch my Habs in French and continue avoiding the terrible English hockey announcers, it’ll be all right. I’m an old school Anglo, but I have been won over by the good coverage on RDS.
    But Peladeau – yech.

10. commandant says:

One thing people haven’t mentionned a lot on this TV Deal.

The Salary Cap will rise, a lot.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

11. CH Marshall says:

I’m guessing that some of the TSN crew must feel like years of hard work, reporting, and solid coverage just got wiped clean off the table.

12. bigjames says:

I watch all the games on the internet anyway as I live overseas. I sometimes hook up my computer to the tv if I am at home or just have the games playing on one screen while at the office. have not seen details but I guess the one good point for people like me is that they say the content will be available on multiple platforms. so lets see. I really do like the whole rds production though and from what I have seen/heard of tva, they are no where near rds in terms of quality. seems to be the same for the English side from what I have read.

13. Tyhudg says:

I watch all the habs games in french, but don’t speak french. Commentators suck except for Miller and Ferraro, and say goodbye to them! Regardless, this is good for someone like me living in alberta who likes to watch other teams as well. From what I gathered this will get rid of the regional blackouts…. which is a huge pain right now.

14. AH says:

All I want out of this new tv deal is to be able to see my beloved Habs more than once in a blue moon on Saturday nights, like the “good old days”, and not have to be subject to those loser Leafs week, after week, after week. Could care less who does the color/commentary, just want to see more Habs.

Heard on the radio about people “worried” about losing Cherry, even Buttman chimed in, how sad is it that a bombastic, biased, career AHLer, who never won a frickin’ thing in the NHL is considered an “Icon” of hockey in Canada, it’s laughable.

15. Stevie.Ray says:

So what if nobody watched Sportsnet and they couldn’t pay the NHL. How long before they scrap the deal?

16. commandant says:

The NHL Concussion Lawsuit.

The Wings have their current concussion issue with Pavel Datsyuk

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

17. HabFab says:

Now this is funny…sad but funny!

Spector’s Hockey – I envision TSN’s hockey crew heading to a bar to drown their sorrows.Later, a drunken Darren Dreger exclaims, “This deal sucks! Confirmed!”

18. Steven says:

Fun Fact: The Habs have a 5-3-2 record in their last 10 games. That’s not a great total, but it still puts them behind only the Bruins’ 8-1-1 record in as many games in the Atlantic.

If there was ever a time to climb the Atlantic standings, it’s now.

19. jols101 says:

So Rogers has total control of editorial content on HNIC starting next season. Can PJ Stock figure out a way to survive this ? If Rogers does the right thing and replaces him, well that is a huge win for any viewer.

20. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Just found out that TSN used Timo for the NHL negotiations…oops…lol

21. Strummer says:

BNOVEMBER 26, 2013 AT 6:35 PM

According to Bettman, who was on Bob McCowan’s show- If Leafs are on CBC, Habs could be on Sportsnet and Sens on CityTV or any combination thereof

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

22. Sportfan says:

Is Mark Cohon the only like Sports Commissioner out there?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

23. Habfan10912 says:

A million NHL games on last night including several marquee matchups. Tonight? One stinking game. Makes no sense.

24. Psycho29 says:

Just watching today’s press conference about the deal. Just a bunch of suits spewing the same script. “It’s a great deal for us and it will be great for Canadians”…

They did show the media catching up with Don Cherry. He said he had no idea what was going on, he just heard about it, and does he still have a job?…

• Sportfan says:

Maybe that’s why he’s on TV he was fired years ago but he’s in such denial that they let him on the air!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Psycho29 says:

They just showed a chart, how this past Saturday’s schedule might have looked under the new agreement:

Wild Jets on Sportsnet 3PM
        Pens Habs on CBC 7PM
        Sens Wings on CityTV 7PM
        Caps Leafs on Sportsnet 7PM
        Hawks Canucks on CBC 10PM

Could get a tad confusing…..

They also said that any on air person could appear on any network, the example they gave was Cherry could appear on Sportsnet

• frontenac1 says:

Posted this am. As long as all the Habs games are on in HD, I could give a sh#t. Turn off the sound, put on some music of your choice, have some cocktails and enjoy the game. Do you really need some guy telling you what is going on? Boones live blog and the posters on HIO is more than enough.Trust me on this amigos, you will like it.

25. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Impetus behind the interest in Max supposedly from his recent firing of his agent. Teams think he is unhappy.

• SlovakHab says:

Does he need an agent if he has a 6-year contract?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I don’t know but his deal sucks…4.5 mill for a 30 goal scorer power forward going into his prime. I would be pissed.

• HabFab says:

He can’t change it.

• SlovakHab says:

I don’t see it that way.

First, he was not an UFA.
          Secondly, to get the term, you give up some dollars. 6 x 4.5M is 29 million dollars. A lot of money to commit to a young player.
          Thirdly, Lucic was also on about 4M per year, and he is probably a superior player.
          Lastly, Pacioretty isn’t really a power forward. Dunno where that illusion comes from. In my books, Pacioretty is “a 2-way winger with size and elite release”.
          Even Gallagher is more of power forward than Pacioretty is.

• johnnylarue says:

I think that, a year into his contract, Patches now realizes he was taken to the cleaners compared to the contracts that are being doled out nowadays. He probably acknowledged he was giving the Habs a home-town discount, but not to the extent that it is turning into.

But really, there’s not much he can do at this point besides accept that he will have to spend the next five years making “a mere” $4.5 million per season, while I… ride a bicycle to work.

• twilighthours says:

Yeah but think how much better shape you’ll be in compared to patches as a result

26. Danno says:

RDS does an exceptional job covering the Habs. It’s a shame they will soon be history.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

27. Sportfan says:

Finally snow

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

28. HABSnEXPOS says:

I’d like a trade that has Diaz Gorges and Bouillion and Daniel Brassiere on other teams for whatever we can get would make me happy.

29. HabFab says:

Spector’s Hockey –

As per @TSNBobMcKenzie, Teams calling about Pacioretty, #Habs not shopping him.
    #Jets not shopping E. Kane but teams watching situation.

30. Stevie.Ray says:

I like proposing mock trade ideas. What do you think of this:

Plekanec + Bourque + Collberg + 1st Rnd Pick

For

E. Kane + A. Lowry

Financially, both teams would still be cap compliant. WPG gets 2 roster players, and 2 future assets. MTL gets some size and some scoring. I know some will say “but WPG has Little, Jokinen, and Scheifle at center already, why would they want a center?” Well, because I don’t think WPG has a lot of faith in those guys beyond Little. Jokinen is over the hill, and Scheifle hasn’t stepped up yet. Also, they get a decent 2nd/3rd line player in Bourque (who is Metis which is nice for the WPG fan base), a potential top 6 scorer, and a first round pick.

Losing Pleks would be hard, especially now, but what do you think?

• Bill says:

If you really want Kane, something like that deal is realistic and would work.

Not sure the Habs are better after that deal though.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Stevie.Ray says:

Maybe not this year, but once Galchenyuk becomes the top line center we would have galchenyuk and Eller as the top two centers, and 3 potential 30 goal scorers in Pacioretty, Gallagher, and Kane. Also, would finally have some size in the top 6.

• Sportfan says:

I don’t think I’d want kane to be honest. Patrick Kane maybe lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• naweed235 says:

To me that sounds like montreal getting fleeced tbh… u r giving away one of the best 2 way forwards in the league, a consistent 20 goal scorer, a player who many thought should’ve gone in the 1st round and will most likely turn to be our best scoring prospect and likely a 15th or so overall pick. .. I love Kane as a player just as much as the next guy but he is known to have that problem player tag whether true or not… also who the hell is Lowry? The guy is a 176 lbs 3rd roubder…
      I think pleks has a much higher value to a contender than people give him credit for… not to mention I think trading pleks will set us back a couple of steps rather than improving the team… just my 2 cents

• piper says:

That might get it done. I think it would be a good deal for the Habs going forward. The KGG line would be great.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…You wouldn’t want to know what I think, I think :)

• Mark C says:

Feel like that is a lot to give up for a player like Kane, who has been inconsistent in terms of his production, and likely effort. Also, think the team would benefit more by using those players/assets in other deals. That is a lot of value to place in one basket.

31. Ghosts of the Forum says:

This comment on the CBC pretty much sums it up for me:

Innis_mor
    My only questions: (1) can I watch the Habs instead of the stinkin’ Leafs?; and (2) do I still have to listen to Bob Cole?

• johnnylarue says:

I feel bad ragging on ol’ Bob–he was a great play-by-play guy for the latter half of the 18th Century…

And I can see where the CBC producers are coming from in terms of their reluctance to fire a “living legend” or whatever, but eventually… I mean, he should just know, shouldn’t he?

32. jols101 says:

As an Anglo Habs fan, from what I am hearing, this new TV package is great news. I live in Ottawa and was always forced to watch my Habs on RDS because CBC would always air Sens or Leafs games. My understanding is as of next year I will be able to chose which game I want to watch in English including all the Habs games. Sounds pretty good to me. Even if the analysis isn’t great it is always better in a language a person understands.

33. Sportfan says:

Does this mean Sportsnet east will actually be dedicated to Ottawa Montreal etc?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• B says:

Does that mean Sportsnet Ontario would not include Ottawa? Who knows? I am wondering what will happen when Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa are all playing home games on a Saturday night. Will you need Sportsnet One for the 3rd game? Perhaps the Habs game might only be on CBC Montreal (which some folks in some places say they can’t get)? We may not get the answers until next fall when the new schedule and TV coverages are announced. Will the coverage be consistent or will it vary? Will one need to purchase several channels to ensure full season coverage for you favourite team? Lots of questions, not many answers yet.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Sportfan says:

Always felt Sportsnet Ontario focused the Leafs. As for SN 1 it came with Sportsnet when I got it, my concern is Sportsnet 360 which is another freaking add on they better not put the Hab games there…

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…that is what I am counting on when they say the deal means the end of regional limitations …that here in Vancouver I will have the option, which I do not have now, to subscribe to CBC Montreal (or whichever english-language Montreal channel broadcasting the game)

…currently, here in Vancouver the only subscribeable option in the Montreal/Turdranna time zone is Turdranna

34. punkster says:

Figured I join the rant crowd with this one.

Finally got my Adobe Flash Player issue resolved with the help of an expert. Turns out Firefox is no longer the bullet proof, trouble free browser I had been using for a few years with minimal problems. Attacks galore even when using good anti virus programs finally brought my little kingdom to a…er…crashing halt.

The expert quickly fixed it by removing Firefox and switching to Google Chrome with a stern lecture to me to keep in touch with him about the world of interwebby thingy issues. Today it’s Chrome good, Firefox bad…but tomorrow who knows…word up dude.

And to all you in HIO land keep you eyes out for sneak attacks and hidden viruses…get the flu shot FFS!

As to media rights and control changing hands…meh, it’s business…let’s see how it plays out before popping off and getting all hot and buttered…er…bothered.

Still SUBBANGIN’ BABY…
    but…
    ELLER IS STELLAR!!!

People seem not to like Quebecor. What’s the deal with them?

36. Arrow77 says:

If the remaining 60 games don’t end up on RDS, I don’t know what I will do. TVA has traditionnally been pretty bad with their sport coverage and giving any money to Quebecor gives me nausea…

37. jols101 says:

I just got home and watched the presser and read several articles and one question jumped out at me- If TVA has all French Canadian NHL rights why are they only airing 22 Habs games and letting RDS air the remaining 60 ?

• Timo says:

I imagine because of the costs. RDS probably has to pay some to TVA to do so. Perhaps it’s only for the first year and then TVA will take over.

Either way… doesn’t matter. All I know is that my TV bill will be higher.

• Stevie.Ray says:

Rogers has exclusive rights to national broadcasts on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. That’s their guaranteed 22 games.

The other 60 games are the regional games I believe which rds owns, but that contract expires this season. Expect a bidding war over the regional broadcasts. Tsn will desperately want to keep it to go along with their jets and leafs regional deals, but Rogers maybe greedy (well we know they are). Hopefully, tsn can snag it.

38. HabFab says:

This new TV deal also pushes up the Salary Cap by $3+ million per team so the Markov question becomes moot. Combined with the already expected $ 6 – 8 million dollar increase, the Salary Cap explodes next season.
    So the last lock out was fought for around $300 million per year or $2+ billion dollars for the CBA term…

39. Les Canayens says:

This reminds me of the late 80’s/early 90’s when we can watch some Habs games in TVA during the week, Radio-Canada on Saturdays, and when they play against the Nordiques, on TQS.

40. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I know TSN folks are putting a positive spin on this but there is no way of seeing it other than a devastating blow. This is like telling Tim Hortons they can’t sell coffee anymore. If I was an employee at TSN I would be wondering how the hell management let this happen.

What really burns me is how Bettman looks good for increasing NHL revenues when all he has done is get Canadians to pay more. Where’s the American money??? In Phoenix? Nashville? Tampa? Yeah right…you’re welcome…

• Bill says:

One thing this story does not do is in any way diminish my hatred of Gary Bettman.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• CH Marshall says:

Definately a devastating blow. Probably leaves a big hole in their weekly programminge etc. As Habitant in Surrey pointed out below, somebody on the board at Bell should be fired.

• donmarco says:

On the other hand, how could TSN, backed by some big Bell bucks, not have seen this coming? I have no real opinion, one way or the other, but they let their guard down and Rogers swooped in. As many people who used to tune into Sportsnet, will now be tuning into TSN, which is to say a heckuva lot less.

And DDO, I’m not a Bettman fan, but nobody forced anyone to do anything. Rogers isn’t stupid, they know we’ll bitch and whine and moan…….. and then pay them whatever they want for our fix.

41. Mike D says:

I can’t help but wonder if Kypreos, MacLean, or any of the other Sportsnet dimwits are feeling happy today, or are instead nervous that they may get replaced by the superior talent from the TSN group.

Others have said (myself included) that Rogers has no real reason to upgrade their talent as they no longer have any competition, but I wonder how it will all play out.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

• donmarco says:

The thing is, many of the TSN reporters are signed to long term contracts, and doubtlessly have iron clad non-competes as well. I wonder how much Bob MacKenzie knows about curling?

• wjc says:

Some people do not like these broadcasters, but I guarantee they will find a whole new batch to hate. Homers, do not care about talent, they care about the opinion they are against. They care about the boring guy, over the guy that gives the panel some controversy.

It is all a show people, do you think Cherry wears clown suits so you can take everything he says to heart. In real life he dresses normally and talks normally.

Mclean plays the buffoon because it works for the segment. P.J. says things that get a rise, making everyone else seem low key.

It is entertainment, and if you cannot avert your eyes and ears from it then it works!

wjc

42. SteverenO says:

keep em together or split em up?

When Markov and Subban are on together at even strength the Habs score a goal (approximately) every 20 minutes. They allow a goal (approximately) every 30 minutes.

When the two defenseman are OFF the ice the team scores rarely; once every 63 minutes (approximately), but they also allow goals less frequently, at an approximate rate of one GA every 41 minutes.

When the “big 2″ are on we play the game mostly in the other teams zone, and when they are not we play in our own end. fortunately, our goalies have been great and we block a ton of shots, but I don’t think it is sustainable

I guess, seeing that we are on a winning streak , it makes sense to keep things the way they are, but I for one,would like to see them split apart.

I believe that the team would be better, overall, if Subban and Markov were separated.

What do you all think?

regards,

Steve O.

• donmarco says:

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it Steve-O. Maybe we’ll see Marky and Emelin reunited at some point, but the way things are now seems to be working just fine.
      One point, though, without factoring in the 5 player units (ie the 3 forwards they’re playing with), it’s an incomplete analysis at best.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Stats in isolation rarely tell the whole story. My brother’s a mathematician, he freaks out about stuff like this, haha. But you do have to think of the variables.

Marky and Subban play against the other teams’ top lines. They also play more minutes than the other pairings. Also, of course is what is a significantly large enough sample size before you can start gaining insight from the data?

So all of that factored in (variables, context, sample size), it gets hard to place all of your stock in the stats.

• Rob Maguire says:

Are these stats controlled for the quality of opposition? I’m assuming one reason the opposition scores less frequently when Markov and Subban are off the ice is because the quality of opposition is diminished, or in lay terms, the other D play against third and fourth line forwards.

43. PrashadHabs says:

Question about the new TV deal. I only like to watch the games in French. That is why I never bought NHL gamecentre for the ps3. Since there is no longer regional blackouts, does anyone know if they will start showing RDS and TVA games next year?

44. 1010 says:

Can`t believe you guys are knocking the excellent inside analysis we receive from top end personalities like Doug McLean. Doug commented today that proof of how well Bettman has grown the game is realized by comparing the deals that the league received from ESPN and NBC in the past compared with the deal Rogers just made.( duhhhh, Doug doesn`t realize that the former are for American markets and the latter for Canadian ones).
    Other ground breaking stuff from Doug included the intelligent comment that people should now realize how important Canadian markets are to the NHL. ( again, thanks Doug for pointing out something we have just learned).
    Add to this investigative journalism the fact that we will get totally impartial commentary from the likes of Bowen, Brown, Potvin, Millen, Cherry etc.,etc., etc. and it`s a win-win for all of us Hab fans. Perhaps they can start giving out an annual Jack Edwards award for the worst homer north of the border. Yup….fun times ahead.

• wjc says:

You fail to realize, in my opinion, that the 30 teams are nicely tucked into bed together. All for one and one for all. Bettman makes these deals for the 30 owners.

Mclean gets it, and you think you get it, big difference between getting it and thinking you get it.

Mclean, made his living in the NHL, so you think he does not know what he is talking about. Do you think he does not know the league from top to bottom.

wjc

• 1010 says:

Not sure what you are talking about but selling the broadcast rights to Canadian markets for a higher rate than you would to American markets does not mean you are successfully growing the game. That was my point. MacLean doesn`t know shit. He was part of the old boys club that constitutes the league.
        I get that. I don`t think it.

45. Habilis says:

Some games on TVA, some on RDS… bleh. I’d rather have consistency either way.

I just hope somehow that they get Houde and Denis for all the games. I’d rather not have to watch 22 games described by some know-nothing chuckleheads.

English is my first language but I watch every Habs game in French because Houde and Denis are simply better than any English alternative.

I really hope that TVA recognizes this and works something out.

46. NLhabsfan says:

I don’t speak a word of French watch the CBC and of course RDS don’t miss a game a season.My concern is Rogers .I feel nothing that crowd has is inexpensive.In fact I expect the cost of Montreal coverage to go up especially with Rogers.

47. Sportfan says:

I swear to god if there are Habs games that get put on SN 360 I’ll be really really annoyed.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

48. Sportfan says:

Hopefully Dreger and Bob don’t lead to this

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

49. Bill says:

TSN: Snooker … Darts. Anyone else remember that?

50. HabFab says:

So here is a question for you all?

How much more is the $433 ml per year of the Roger’s deal as opposed to the present CBC / TSN / RDS / Sportsnet deals out there?

51. Trisomy 21 says:

What really changed my mind about McKenzie was his refusal to make playoff predictions. He was so sanctimonious about it. That being said I did appreciate how fast he was able to communicate new developments over Twitter.

But I’m most displeased about having to substitute what I thought was the best hockey coverage with what is currently third rate coverage and personalities that match. I’m sure Kypreos is laughing at ‘those f%$#ers from TSN’ in his basement right now.

52. smiler2729 says:

Sportsnet sucks. Always did, always will. Inferior hockey analysts and personalities.

This is Gary winning $5.2 billion for his owners and screwing over the Canadian hockey fan TV viewer.

Somehow, these “packages” will end up costing us more with this Sportsnet monopoly.

_______________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam.
    Gary Bettman is a bobblehead.
    The “CH” in CHOKE stands for Toronto Maple Leafs.

53. Bill says:

Chuck: Well, Bettman is now and has always been a lying ass-hat.

54. Bill says:

PrimeTime: I don’t think they are saying “no” regional blackouts: what I read said “no further” regional blackouts. I’m awaiting clarification.

But in general I agree that this story is not a big deal for Habs fans.

• PrimeTime says:

Not my understanding from listening to McGowan on Fan 590 and the question of cost to the viewers was brought up twice. Fans will have a choice of games to watch on the same network.

55. HABSnEXPOS says:

I’m kind of happy that I might be getting my hockey breakdowns and analysis of the game from other than the Oneils Pangers Mackenzie’s and Wards of the world. I find panels loose a lot of credibility with me anytime they sit there and tell me that they think Dan Boyle should be on Team Canada instead of the best defence an on the planet right now PK Subban.

Defensive liability?
    I remember PK playing 20 minutes during our conference final run and we beat the Washington Ovechkins, and the Pittsburg Penguins. Norris winner last year playing with a one legged Markov and overrated over hyped terrible defence in Josh Georges. Currently third amongst all defenseman averaging less minuets on ice then the two ahead of him.

Sure go ahead, take Dan Boyle TSN he should give the Country a better chance of winning Gold than PK Subban.

• Trisomy 21 says:

But if PK Subban doesn’t make the team, that just means they’re right.
      For the record I think he should go, but I still remember when Mike Greene, Phaneuf and Regehr didn’t make the team in 2010 despite being great offensively. So I’m prepared for the worst.

• GrosBill says:

What three players do you take out for Greene, Phaneuf and Regehr? That was a great D squad in 2010. I actually wouldn’t swap in any of those three for any of these players listed.

22 DAN BOYLE
        8 DREW DOUGHTY
        2 DUNCAN KEITH
        27 SCOTT NIEDERMAYER
        20 CHRIS PRONGER
        7 BRENT SEABROOK
        6 SHEA WEBER

56. JF says:

We all know that Gary Bettman is blind and pig-headed, but I never saw this coming. It seems NHL fans in Canada have three choices: stop watching the NHL or watch a lot less of it, watch on a tiny computer screen with poor definition, or “adjust” our cable packages – a euphemism for paying more.

It’s a sad day for the NHL and for hockey fans. My main concern is the fate of RDS, for me THE destination for hockey games and hockey talk. TSN is acceptable if there is no alternative, although rarely as good as RDS, but CBC is a joke and Sportsnet utter garbage.

The RDS crew are articulate, knowledgeable, and interesting, and no one calls the game as well as Pierre Houde. I can’t help wondering how long the NHL will survive on that network with no Saturday games, no playoffs, and apparently no right to show other teams’ games. What about the WJC and the Olympics? Will RDS gradually fold up their hockey operations or will they launch themselves into junior hockey? Will their people stay on or eventually jump to TVA?

Like most others, I’ll grudgingly “adjust” my cable package, but I hope this year will not be Pierre Houde’s last one as the voice of the Montréal Canadiens in Québec.

• Timo says:

Actually, it’s a great day for the NHL. Sad day for the fans.

• Chuck says:

Ironically, Bettman said that ultimately the big winner in all of this will be the fans. From where I’m sitting, it’s going to cost me more money and greater inconvenience to watch my Habs as of next season. I guess that’s how I win.

_______________________
        Anything is possible.

• PrimeTime says:

Wrong! The polar opposite is the service you’ll receive. More content at no extra cost. Learn the facts!

• Bripro says:

You should check your facts before slamming people.
            I have the french package on Bell specifically for RDS.
            But because TVA belongs to Peladeau, hence Videotron,
            they’re not included in my package.
            And Sportsnet is not standard on the Bell network in Montreal.
            So I’m looking at paying not one, but two additional fees.
            Just because you don’t care about RDS, it doesn’t mean that others don’t either.
            Tell me, in your infinite wisdom, how this is better.
            And please try to be polite about it.

• PrimeTime says:

Bipro. Is Rogers available in your region?

• Bripro says:

At a fee. Extra $5/month. Same for TVA Sports package.

• BramScott says:

Bripro- are you sure you are not already getting TVA sports? I have the Bell French package and get it on chanel 1883 HD and 193 SD. They were added without my asking when the station came to existence a few years ago.

• D Mex says:

Not that further evidence of Buttman being out of touch with hockey and its fans in Canada was necessary, but we have it here anyhow. I really do laugh every time I hear him utter the words ‘ our sport ‘ in public …

It would be interesting to see how he would handle Canadian clubs breaking away from the league and forming their own ‘ True North ‘ league. In other words, let Buttman and his pals in Phoenix figure out how to honour this commitment without uber-committed Canadians fans. Too bad it won’t happen.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

• Trisomy 21 says:

He’d handle it with lawyers and an iron fist!

• JF says:

Agree with you about the desirability of Canadian teams (and others who wanted to) breaking away and forming their own league. Canadian teams (as distinct from the media) have nothing to gain from being in the NHL; they pay over a chunk of their profits to keep teams in places like Phoenix and their schedules are arranged to suit the American television audience. Look at the time of our game against Washington on Friday. But of course, as you say, it won’t happen.

• frontenac1 says:

More Jackie Redmond and Andi Petrillo! It’s all good amigos!

• wjc says:

Breaking away and forming a new Northern hockey league. Now that is nuts.

Welcome to the real world. Montreal, and Toronto and the rest are all for this deal. Why you say? Because there is a ton of money to be made for everybody.

Try to think of the NHL as one big, big business. They are 30 partners weighing ideas and making decisions that make them the most money.

The Canadiens are worth $750,000,000.00 and the Leafs worth well over a billion dollars. With this deal they will earn more, and be worth more and that is what it is all about.

Bettman, brokers these deals for the owners….the pay per views, the subscriber packages and the 5 billion dollars from Rogers.

You will never hear Molson speak against teams like Phoenix because they are all in it together. Welcome to the world of Corporate profits. Yes…..the NHL is a huge billion dollar corporation. 30 seperate teams is an illusion, there are no victims here, the fans will pay willingly….for a fantasy.

wjc

• PrimeTime says:

Every day is a sad for you but well deserved.

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

Agreed, J.F.

• PrimeTime says:

You might want to get a better understanding of the whole deal before you dismiss it. I, for one, am excited I am not forced to watch Leafs games on a Sat or any other night when I will have the choice to watch the Habs at no additional cost. No more regional blackouts!! I couldn’t care less about RDS . Bell is not as innovative as Rogers in many business aspects.

• JF says:

In Montreal, you couldn’t watch the Leafs on Saturday night if you wanted to. Both CBC and RDS show the Habs.

I don’t really fear there will be less hockey to watch, although we’ll have to pay more. I’m worried about the quality of the broadcasts. I don’t find even TSN as good as RDS.

• wjc says:

Cha-ching…..knock yourself out. You can spend your disposable income anyway you wish. Once CBC is out of the picture, free hockey on Television will die a slow death.

wjc

• GrosBill says:

You may not care about RDS-fine. I do. I got every Canadiens game all year on one channel which also happens to be my favorite channel to watch the game on. Was a win win for me.

Maybe Rogers is more innovative in some areas of business but TSN (at least for now) is WAY better than Sportsnet. RDS and TVA (again for now) is an even wider gap IMO.

• HABSnEXPOS says:

I couldn’t agree with you more on your thoughts on RDS covering hockey games. French is my second language and I try to watch all the Habs games I possibly can on the RDS coverage.

57. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I have not had time to read earlier thoughts/contemplations on the new television universe, but from My completely biased and selfish view-points, these are the things that first come to mind:

…First, if I was a member of Bell’s/BCE’s board of directors, I would look to fire the Chairman, President and most current senior executives for being out-smarted by Rogers …there is no polite-way of saying it, but other than this is an utter debacle for Bell

Second, I am not worried about losing the McKenzies/Duthies/Millers and the other TSN talent to enjoy My hockey, …as money talks, and they will be employees in good standing with Rogers in no time, if Rogers has any sense

Third, I will NOT subscribe to TVA or any enterprise owned by Karl Peladeau, so if not RDS no French-language subscription from My BC provider, Telus, for Me

Fourth, number 3 may not be a problem as far as having access, hopefully, to all the 82+ games Habs’ schedule, because Rogers is indicating the new deal includes ending regional restrictions and game-day black-outs, therefore, again hopefully I say, I can subscribe to some form of a dedicated English-language broadcast of all Montreal games

Finally, the potential negative concern I have most predominantly is whether the new World-order in hockey television will mean whether said coverage becomes even more Turdranna-centric

• B says:

Is it a slam dunk that Rogers Sportsnet will now make more profit than TSN? Will Sportsnet be able to generate in excess of $5.2 billion in revenues from this new hockey deal, or could they end up loosing money on the venture? Just how much more money can be squeezed out of Canadian hockey fans? Those new Sportsnet revenues required to offset their huge new expenditure will have to come from somewhere, no?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Gerry H says:

Egg Zachary. There may be heads rolling at Rogers before they do at Bell.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…My sense is this is a content deal …the direct revenues from this hockey deal is only part of the financial equation

…ownership of such critical (in Canada) core content will represent but a driver for value-added income from other products already in the planning stages

…’ownership’ of such content was/is, the way I see it, crucial to each corporations plan for hegemony in the broadcasting/telecommunication’s sector

…today, one lost, and the other is now home free, imho

• wjc says:

Believe me they have crunched the numbers, the return on their investment would astound you. This is the end of free hockey and once you subscribe, they will slowly make it more and more expensive, just as they did with hockey tickets.

Laugh at CBC, but you will not laugh last because within the next 5 to 10 years you will pay dearly to watch a hockey game…..count me out. The younger crowd will grow up doing this and think it is normal and the world will continue to spin and the sun will still come up.

The Corporation which is the NHL will profit as well as they share in the spoils. Welcome to the age of greed.

wjc

• bleedhabs81 says:

Check your Telus subscription. Here in Calgary we get TVA as part of the basic package.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…My meaning was I subscribe to RDS (French language package) because they carry the Habs games I can not watch on English-language channels

…if TVA became the broadcaster of Habs games I will cancel My current French-language package …that is how much I disdain Karl Peladeau

…I know most won’t care one way or other, but I do

• wjc says:

Subject to change, my friend, subject to change. Remember it is their signal and they will charge you what they think they can get. With it always ‘subject to change’……change for the worst, I might add.

wjc

Just checked Shaw and it’s not an option with the new TV deal. Guess staying with Bell Satellite.

59. JUST ME says:

Today`s title is : «Fans might need to adjust cable package to see all Habs games in new NHL TV deal«

To wich i would reply : DUH…

That is the basic idea on this whole deal. Get more money from canadian`s hockey fans. That is how they can afford such a deal, making sure that we pay more to get the same content or idealy less… Already we pay more for cable in Canada than any other country on the planet so a bit more won`t hurt right ?

They know that a small minority of fans can now afford to go to the Bell Center so they need to reach the stay at home fans and get more out of them.

60. Strummer says:

Also on CBC.ca:

“TSN still has regional rights to air some Toronto Maple Leafs games through 2015 and Winnipeg Jets matches through 2021.”

That’s why they’re keeping the HNIC theme song

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

61. johnnylarue says:

And TSN maintain the rights to “The Hockey Song”:

In other news, the “24/7 All Cats All the Time” network has acquired the rights to the Littlest Hobo theme song… ’cause hey, it’s a catchy tune!

D’Agostini is on waivers, so is Klesla

63. Mattyleg says:

AGH!!
    Stop the presses!
    You have to go NOW and check out the horrible photo on the CBC front page!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

64. Mavid says:

I already have TVA as part of my Bell package, they have been covering some of the Sens games..so I won’t miss a thing..and I can practice my french..win..win

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

65. Strummer says:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 12h
    In meantime, can only speak for myself, but losing rights changes nothing for me. SportsCentre, That’s Hockey, tsn.ca, Twitter, new shows…

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

66. Sportfan says:

RDS finally tweets about the deal they must be in shock still.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

67. Sportfan says:

Imagine Leafs not HNIC it will be the Habs grapes must be fuming lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Who would Brian Burke start in net if he was running Team Canada in Sochi?

Well it wouldn’t be Luongo, Price, Smith, Brodeur or even Reimer.

Down Goes Brown writer Sean McIndoe with some scenario’s for the return of Alfredsson to Ottawa.

70. Say Ash says:

Hope you like the new TSN Sports Centre, featuring still shots of NHL games.

71. habs-fan-84 says:

Bill: As good looking as Nigella is, I can’t help but think of Russell Brand when I see her…

72. mrhabby says:

One last thought on this new sports paradigm…will this have any effect on the fireplace channel.

73. Maritime Ronn says:

Some interesting quotes from Frankie Bouillon concerning his ice time, sitting out, and playing with rookies:

“I always want to play. They can tell me it’s good at my age to rest (sit out) but at my age I don’t see it like that. I’m not tired, and I’m in shape.” ( Re Murray playing last Friday…)

« Je voudrais toujours jouer…On peut me dire que ça me fera du bien, à l’âge que je suis rendu, moi je ne le vois pas comme ça. Je ne suis pas fatigué, et je suis en forme.
    ——
    Is this a shot at the rookies Tinordi-Beaulieu?

” For myself, it makes a big difference to play with a vet like Diaz, instead of the young guys like Tinordi or Beaulieu that are up and down between the NHL and AHL.

« Pour moi, ça fait une grosse différence de jouer avec un vétéran comme Raphaël Diaz, plutôt qu’avec des jeunes (Jarred Tinordi et Nathan Beaulieu) qui font la navette entre la Ligue nationale et la Ligue américaine », a-t-il relevé.
    ——————————-

Dear Frankie Bouillon

The only reason you have an NHL job is because of your past with Coach Therrien.

Most likely no other NHL club would have given you a 1 way contract paying you $1.5M this year.

The best you would have ever done outside Montreal may have come from 2-3 teams at a salary of….NHL minimum of $550K-$700K, and a 2 way/AHL contract to boot.

Perhaps you should just STFU.

Any other Management Team/Coach outside of Montreal would have had some of the very promising rookies ( Tinordi-Beaulieu-Pateryn) take your minutes and get precious NHL playing experience…yet unfortunately, other ‘Factors’ were involved …

It’s not as if you have been ‘Prongerish’ with your… by far Habs worst Minus -10 and playing a slow, soft style and being late on many plays.

Haha, so how do you really feel Ron?

• shiram says:

The quote about the rookies is all the more telling as it comes after the article speaks of Bouillon’s -10 being the worst on the team.

• Mattyleg says:

Hey Ronn,
      I know that you love to stir up controversy, but this isn’t a good spot to try to do it. I don’t often respond to your posts because I find that they are often written in a very combative way that doesn’t generally encourage discussion, but I’d like to take you up on this one.

Frankie B is a very good defenceman who has paid his dues in the NHL, who gave many of his best years to the CH, and who never should have been let go in the first place.

He was asked about the rookies, and it’s obvious that he would rather play with experienced professionals than young players who are going back and forth between Hamilton and Montreal, and who are not only unused to the NHL level, but who are also unused to playing within the Habs’ system. That’s not so telling for a forward, but for a defenceman, it’s crucial.

Frankie doesn’t play a slow, soft style. He is tough and always goes hard to the puck. I’ve been to 5 games this season already, and he is great to watch – one of the players who the camera doesn’t do justice to – always reading the play well.

And as for the -10 stick that you seem so keen to beat him with:

Bouillon has been on the ice for 15 opposition goals; same as Diaz, who gets a pretty short shrift on here.
      Know what?
      Here are the players who have been on the ice for more opposition goals:

Andrei Markov: 21
      PK Subban: 20
      Josh Gorges: 19

And amongst defenders, here is a list of how many goals have been scored against them while killing penalties:

Gorges: 8
      Markov: 7
      Diaz: 6
      Subban: 4
      Bouillon: 1
      Emelin: 1

…and Bouillon has more TOI on the PK than Subban.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

LMAO. Frankie B having more PK time then PK clinches it for me! Great job Matty!

• Bill says:

Matty, these stats are completely unfair. Subban and Markov have way more TOI than Bouillon, against way tougher competition … of course they have a few more goals against! Even Diaz could make that claim.

Bouillon has been on for low, soft minutes. And he can’t claim the kind of offensive production that Markov and Subban can. This is a crazy comparison, which I suspect you yourself understand to be wrong. Pure sophistry.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• twilighthours says:

His point about Ronn being combative is spot on, though.

• Eddie says:

Ronn is passionate about his opinions. Not combative.

Ronn also brings a dash of reality here, which is often sorely missing.

Keep posting Ronn, there are some of us here who enjoy reading your posts.

• Timo says:

Are you talking about THE Franky Bouillon? The one that plays for Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League? The short, stocky, brown guy? I am confused because of all the adjectives you used to describe him.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ronn, you and I approach Francis Bouillon from different directions, obviously, since I’m very happy with the loyal soldier and veteran, cost-effective and dedicated as he is.

With regards to the quote, instead of getting in a high dudgeon, I think we should be careful that the specific naming of the rookies actually happened, or whether they were added by the author of the piece as an illustrative, a helpful clarification for readers who might not be clear on which youngsters he might have meant. To me, that makes a significant difference. If someone asks you if you prefer to play with veterans rather than rookies who are shuttling back and forth, and you assent to that proposition, that’s not inflammatory.

I was struck by that detail too when I read the article at first, and I thought to myself that if he had mentioned the kids by name, that would be bush league, but highly unusual for Francis, so I assumed that it’s an editing issue, but one that casts him in a poor light.

• Tyhudg says:

Personally I think it was fairly innocent, but I would right?? Still, the vultures are circling… and these vultures are obsessed with numbers. Greener pastures and all that nonsense. I’d take Boullion to Murray, Drewiskie, and any of the young guys any day of the week. Except Pateryn…. he looks good and hasn’t had an audition yet.