Habs fans in evidence

There were hundreds of fans wearing Canadiens jerseys at the Nassau Coliseum last night and they made themselves heard during the pregame wrapup. They booed former Canadiens Mark Streit and  Yann Danis when they were introduced and cheered when the Montreal starters were announced.

The Islanders received more bad news before the game. It turns out that goaltender Rick DiPietro’s lower body injury was a torn meniscus in his knee. He has had arthroscopic surgery and will be out 4-6 weeks. Since the end of lst season, DiPietro has had his second hip surgery and two knee surgeries.

1. Mr Dobby says:

Yeah I agree Habscolor, Maurice Richard, Jean Beliveau, think of the people who wore the jersey that you have on your chest and cheer for the Habs but the booing is so unclassy and makes us look like the degenerates of the NHL when it’s just the opposite. It has to stop.

Scott Dobby

We’ll Just Call It 25%

2. Shadowhunter says:

Yeah I saw it and it was exactly us, I was in section 324. From Chicoutimi (for me at least), Ahuntsic, Rosemont, Lionel-Groulx, Limoilou, Montmorency and a few other colleges too, I think even Sept-Îles did the trip. The guy is right in the fact that there were cute girls too.

We started the game on chants of Ole, Ole Ole Ole! that according to my friends who stayed here could be heard on tv. When the Islanders lead, we said to ourselves that they were just a New York teams like the Rangers, and proceeded to cheer even more. At 4-2, we screamed in joy. At 4-3, we were chanting “Remontée, Remontée, Remontée”, at 4-4 we went crazy and at 5-4 we were going “Kovalev, Kovalev, Kovalev”. The whole arena was more Bleu Blanc Rouge than Blue and Orange, and we’d like to believe we made a difference.

3. HabFab says:

Did you read the quote from the Islander fan in regards to you fans posted on either present posting here or Boone’s ?

4. Shadowhunter says:

Yesterday, a lot of colleges (cegeps) in Quebec organised a trip to Long Island, we were at least a thousand from every cegep at Nassau Veteran’s memorial coliseum and it was really awesome. Being at that comeback in person was something.

5. Chorske says:

On a somewhat related note, I’m in Chicago over the holidays, so I’m catching the Hawks vs Flyers game. If we were staying longer I’d have gone to the outdoor game vs Detroit (sure to be a classic), but this will do. I’ve always had a soft spot for the Hawks, especially now that they’ve got some cool young kids and the team seems to be turning around. Plus, Huet, Bowman, etc. Anyway: looking forward to it.

6. obrien says:

Hundreds of fans? Try thousands! There were more Habs jerseys than at the Bell Center!

A lot of fans where wondering what we were chanting (“Go Habs Go”).