Habs fans have reason to cheer for Saskatoon Blades

If Habs fans are looking for a team to cheer for at this year’s Memorial Cup, the Saskatoon Blades could be your team.

The Saskatoon Blades are the host team for the junior championship and veteran coach Lorne Molleken’s roster includes two Montreal defence prospects —Darren Dietz and Dalton Thrower (photo above).

The Canadiens signed Dietz to a three-year, entry-level contract this week and Molleken — whose resumé includes a stint as head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks — says the 6-foot-1, 205-pounder will be in the National Hockey League “sooner rather than later.”

That forecast appears realistic when you hear Molleken describe Dietz as a hard-working, self-motivated player, the kind of player who fits in with the current mindset in the Canadiens organization.

“He approaches the game like a pro,” Molleken said. “He’s the first guy on the ice and the last guy to leave. He works extremely hard, he doesn’t need anyone to push him.”

The Canadiens held a short practice Thursday morning on Long Island as they prepared to face the Islanders (7 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690). Rene Bourque took part in the morning skate but is not expected to play in the game.

Five players were not on the ice for the morning skate: Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty and Francis Bouillon. They are all expected to play.

Carey Price will start in goal.

(Photo by Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Islanders

Game Notes

Habs fans should root for Saskatoon, by Pat Hickey

Habs’ blue line is looking good, by Pat Hickey

Bourque nears return to lineup, by Brenda Branswell

Habs reward Bouillon with contract extension, by Brenda Branswell

Demers will be next guest on HIO show, by Stu Cowan

Vezina Trophy award criteria changes hurt Hall of Famer Hall, by Dave Stubbs

Isles goalie DiPietro tries to remain positive in minors, by New York Times

Orr’s The Greatest One to hockey fans of his day, by Cam Cole of Postmedia News

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

Follow-up question for the same dmen.

There was much assertion in the aftermath of PK’s attempted hit to the effect that, had he connected, one or both players would have ended up hospitalised and PK in trouble.

Is that correct? Since when can a dman not hit a fast-moving forward as he crosses the blue line. I mean, the forward is expecting to be hit, right?

2. Dunboyne Mike says:

Question for defensemen/former defensemen/NHL 13 defensemen.

On PK’s controversial OT hit attempt: it was a 2-on-2, and the convention is cover your man, don’t take yourself out with a big hit. Don’t you occasionally want to do something OTHER than the convention, in case that’s what your opponents are expecting, in case wiping out one attacker leaves the other one with fewer options?

(And I have another question).

• twilighthours says:

Man this is a question that requires a detailed answer and I just don’t have it in me. Essentially, that’s a nice hit to throw, but not at that time of the game, not with his teammates positioned as they were, and not with such reckless use of arms/stick.

No (good) coach would ever practice that play or suggest it given the circumstances

3. ed says:

there is something magical about having a “shut down” defenceman, who logs 25-30 minutes a night, playing 5 on 5 against the opponents’ best line, 1st line power play and 1st line penalty kill.

take Lindstrom off the Wings – they’re not nearly the same
    take Pronger off the Flyers – not the same
    take Markov off the Habs – not the same

Is it even possible to build a winning team in hockey without having this type of dominant defenceman in your lineup??

• Lafleurguy says:

Agree ed. And, to be redundant, it’s why I admire the skill of Brian Murray for the quiet way he got Mark Methot last summer, and that was when they could count on both Karlsson and Cowan playing big minutes for their defense.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Bill says:

It really does seem that a team needs that half-a-game D-man who owns the ice. Where would Boston be without Chara as another example?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• SteverenO says:

could it be that one of the key reasons for the teams success is that we have TWO such d-men in Markov and Subban?

regards,

Steve O.

4. twilighthours says:

Stay positive, Tom, you’re starting to slip!

5. Luke says:

Any thoughts on this Sustr dude?
    D – 6’8″ 2hundred-whatever pounds.

Surprised there has been nary-a-peep here about him, or any of the college free agents for that matter.
    I read Bob McKenzie saying non of the them are high-end talents, but some could develop into NHLers.

• Loonie says:

I think Bobblehead McKenzie needs a brighter outlook on prospects.

• Loonie says:

I’ll do my best to become more intelligent in hopes that my intellect will some day reach the standards you’ve set.

• Loonie says:

Perhaps you’d benefit from a mentality not unlike my own at this point in time.

If my posts create any kind of technical problems for others in posting their opinions I’ll gladly step aside.

But from what I’ve heard the only problems with the server only seem to come during the game blog when traffic is high, and I don’t often post during those times.

But thanks again for trying to drive some humility into me. I’m sure I need it if I’ve prompted you to try so hard.

And I appreciate you not accusing me of crying about fighting like you did in our last conversation.

• kholdstare says:

Whats up with this guy? Its a fan site, relax people can say what they want, if you dont want to read it then take some of your own medicine and take a break.

edit: ah I see some sort of previous beef

• jrshabs1 says:

I believe you said it was shameful for some members HIO to want the Habs to employ a legit heavyweight to even the playing field when the Habs biggest rivals beat the snot out of them whenever they feel like it. Who are you to tell anybody what they think is shameful? It seems you don’t like it either..do you get the point?

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

I think saying these college (and European) UFAs could develop into NHLers is a bright outlook… Just look at some of the greats to enter the league this way recently:

Ummm… Mike Johnson… the Monster… The guy in Ottawa… Gilroy… Fabian Bruunstrom. Diaz (yes, a good one!! Who oddly enough, was trashed when he signed).
        I’m truly struggling to come up with names for recent College UFAs.

• H.Upmann says:

I think jrshabs1 is a class act if he gets upset by what others type on some blog.

• Bill says:

I have just never liked McKenzie.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Luke says:

He and Friedman are the only two ‘talking heads’ I do like.

Does this mean we have to be enemies, Bill?

• Lafleurguy says:

Hey!….low five bud!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Bill says:

Pistols at dawn, amigo.

Ha, no, it would be pretty boring if we all agreed on here all the time. Though some people take disagreement awfully personally … they know who they are.

I agree on Friedman, he’s smart. I also used to like Hrudey on CBC.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Lafleurguy says:

Mr. McKenzie was writing for the Hockey News as far back as 1981, and maybe prior. I was disappointed when Fred Flintstone’s grandson left THN but with all the exposure TV and electronic media (tweets and blogs) gets, it now made sense he did a career switch. Anyway, really enjoyed his writing, and I have loyalty to such things in the same way I’m bonded to the Habs for life.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• New says:

It is really hard to tell unless you see the kids play and watch them specifically. So much of what you read now is promoted by agents rather than people who know, and no one flags the source. I’d go with Mackenzie, or Friedman.

6. commandant says:

Max V looks at what is going on with the Red Wings, as they teeter on the precipice of missing the playoffs in the West.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. Loonie says:

Since the shootout is all about the fans why not at random draw have a season ticket holder for the home team shoot first?

I think that would create more fan interest in hockey.

8. Les Canayens says:

During a shootout, if the puck carrying player brakes hard and inadvertently snow showers the goalie up to his face, blinding him for a fraction of a second, during which time he dekes and scores, does it still counts?

• Mattyleg says:

I’d venture to say no. He gets a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct and has to sit in the penalty box for the rest of the shootout.

If there were bits of ice mixed in with the snow, he has to stay in the penalty box during the 3 Stars if his team loses.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• habs-hampton says:

Obviously you can, we’ve seen it. Now the real question… what if you snow him on purpose and then shoot the puck in the net?

Seriously though, I think we all agree that whole shootout thing is crap designed to keep the non-hockey “fans” interested. I think a cape and sunglasses should be mandatory!

• johnnylarue says:

Still don’t understand the resistance to playing 3-on-3 OT periods.

This would yield virtually as many breakaway scoring chances as shootouts do, all the while maintaining the ‘team game’ dynamic which is an essential part of hockey’s identity.

And all told, a breakaway is usually more exciting than a penalty shot because it happens spontaneously as a natural development of the play on the ice.

• SteverenO says:

What if the shooter has a little snowball in his hand ,takes one hand off his stick for a second, throws the snowball towards the goalies head to distract him and then shoots the puck into the net ?

Of course, he also lifts his back leg at the same tome to distract the referee and further distract the goaltender.

regards,

Steve O.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

If the snow is in his face, should not count but who knows nowadays…

• New says:

The thing about the shootout, other than it is idiotic, is the wrong players shoot. The teams should rotate players C-LW-RW-LD-RD into goal. The goalies should take the sticks from the rotated players and blast away from 20 feet away. Plus it would encourage visor use.

9. Les Canayens says:

Compared to last season’s early benching and the very public shout down by Randy Ladouceur, this Therrien controversy is a walk in the park for PK Subban.

10. Luke says:

I’m considering stopping at the beer store on the way home.

I’m just not sure if I am willing to risk tonight’s game with the cans of Yuengling. If we were in the middle of a winning streak, sure. But we’ve got to get something started here… and that may call for something like Killkenny’s.

Alternatives:
    1) Stop at the pub on the way home for some pints of Creemore.
    2) Buy a case of buck-a-beers and let the chips fall where they may.

Also, I may wear the Lafleur jersey for the first 5 minutes of gameplay and see how the squad is responding. Typically it’s not been positive. Probably a lot of pressure for the guys, which I can certainly understand.
    I’ll evaluate the jersey situation in 5 minute segments of gameplay.

Just want to keep you all in the loop.

• Cal says:

Luke’s jersey is our bellwether. Best of luck with that brewksi quandary.

• habs-hampton says:

What a difference a year makes. Last year we would be celebrating a one-game losing streak!

• Timo says:

“I’m considering stopping at the beer store on the way home.”

No offense, but this is probably the best decision you will make all day.

• Keeper64 says:

Too funny Luke!! I plan my game meals and beverages as well…….cause I have such an exciting life apparently. Tonight it’ll be roast pork and rum for the game. Going Lafleur tee-shirt for the attire. Bigger games call for the full jersey, and my two girls (daughters!) get decked out as well.

For your alternatives, I’d do both!!. Enjoy.

11. shiram says:

I think the Habs are due for a big game, they should bulldoze the Islanders.
    I’m predicting free chicken wings (if you printed your coupon online) from la Cage.

• johnnylarue says:

I was feeling similarly–expecting the Law of Averages to bring us a win against these Islander bozos–until I found out the Law of Rookie Quebecois Goalies Playing Against the Habs would also be in effect tonight. Unfortunately, the latter law often proves to be the Scissors to the former’s Moist Towelette.

Moreover, while the Isles are still ostensibly a mess, they are not exactly the bottom-feeders they are often made out to be. Only 3 pts out of 8th place… Can’t underestimate the motivation factor for a team that has 8th place in its sights.

• shiram says:

All good points, but I’m being converted to the Therrien way of things, and I would say not to underestimate his motivationnal technics!
        Besides with spring here and a positive mood on the boards, I can’t help but to be positive also. This team is exceeding my expectations by a large margin.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m with you. If the Habs can maintain their mojo, I can’t imagine any team in the East will be eager to face them in the first round this year.

Perennial regular-season juggernauts (Vancouver, Detroit, etc.) often string together series of “easy” multi-goal wins, only to run into trouble when the playoffs start and the intensity ramps up a notch. By comparison, a majority of the Habs wins this season have been of the gritty, one-goal-game variety. Theoretically, this should give them a bit of an edge for the playoffs.

• Bripro says:

Hi John. I’ve never seen you here before. But I have to say, my hat is off to you for your choice of Avatars. My favourite comedian.
        Throws me back to SCTV.
        Ah crap, now you’ve got me all melancholy and depressed.
        Great job!!! Who asked you to post anyhow? ;)

12. frontenac1 says:

Don’t know if anyone saw the hit on Hedman last night by Lupul but everyone on the NBC panel thought it should have been a major penalty and not a 2min minor.They also said it warranted a call from Shanny. After seeing it a few times ,I agree.

• Kooch7800 says:

In slow motion it looked bad. In real time when I first saw it I didn’t think it looked so bad. I can see why the official only did a 2 minute as it was a really fast play.

He should get 2 minimum for it

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

13. Thomas Le Fan says:

I now pronounce the new Leaf superstar “Ad Nauseam” Khadri. Too bad, I kind of like the kid but puuuulease.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• The Jackal says:

I feel bad for Kadri, he was a huge Habs fan growing up and was upset when the Laffs drafted him. I hope he does not re-sign with them in the future.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I saw a feature on him a couple years ago. His immediate family has supported him but he’s had to overcome the wishes of his community to make it as a hockey player. Apparently, they don’t believe young Muslim men should play at sports. I think there’s lots of worse ways to spend your youth. Good on him and I hope he sets an example for others in his community.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• jedimyrmidon says:

As much as the hype surrounding him is unreal (see my post below), at least his childhood loyalties were alright!

14. B says:

From the Game Preview link above:

Number of games it took the Canadiens to register 20 wins last season. With a win on Thursday night in Long Island, the Habs would hit that mark in 30 games or 23 fewer contests than a year ago.

–Go Habs Go!–

15. Loonie says:

Kevin Poulin(yeah him) gets the start for the Isles tonight.

For those of you who didn’t know he’s a goalie.

16. Saintpatrick33 says:

Komisarek went through waivers and got demoted to the AHL. Oh how the mighty has fallen a few years ago he was considered a top 4 and in Mcguire’s words part of the Toronto “big 3″. If I didn’t hate him so much I’d feel sorry for him.

I got it!!! This whole Therrien treatment of PK is CONTROVERSIAL!!!

18. I just had the most amazing conversation with Stu Cowan! Stu you just made my day. Every time I tell my little story I feel a little bit better. Thank you so much!

Applause

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

• Stu Cowan says:

Thank you, Shane, and enjoy the grill-cheese lunch with your kids. You made my day with your honesty and openness in telling me your story. Column coming for Saturday Gazette.

19. Bill says:

Reading the article about the Habs depth in D prospects certainly got me thinking. There are too many of these guys to all play on the Habs.

I’m thinking you can’t really break in more than one rookie Dman per season … unless you’re Tanking, which I hope is not the plan.

Let’s say next year it’s Tinordi, and Beaulieu the year after that. Lets get crazy and say the next year it’s Dietz. They’d be starting the 2015 year with three really inexperienced D. Lets say they can actually get away with it, which is obviously debatable. But lets just say.

Where does that leave guys like Ellis, Pateryn, Nygren, Thrower and Bennet? Pretty much nowhere.

Not a bad problem to have, but something’s gotta give.

20. Mondou6 says:

What happens if you have two players on your team who are both “the first to get on the ice, and the last to leave it”?

What about the guy who is always the 5th player on the ice, and the 12th to leave it? How come he never gets a mention?

• EnemyTerritory says:

I always roll my eyes when I read that statement … every player can’t be the 1st on the ice and the last off. (I like to imagine a bunch of players milling on the ice at the end of practice waiting for someone else to leave the sheet. Makes me chuckle.)

21. habs-fan-84 says:

I’ve never understood the whole “nets” being plural thing…

22. HabFanSince72 says:

PK is going to refuse to re-sign for the Habs because the current coach sometimes gently rebukes him?

If that was true (and it isn’t) what would it say about PK’s mental fortitude?

23. Lix says:

If it says Thrower on Dalton’s birth certificate it is foreshadowing worthy of Nostradamus himself.

24. rhino514 says:

Anyone think Dietz will end up being better than tinordi or Beaulieu? Beaulieu has always been considered our frontrunner defenceman prospect, but the two other kids seem to have progressed by leaps and bounds…
    Strangely, the Bouillon signing may mean that management only sees the frontrunner as a seventh Dman for next season. I guess it´s true when they say defencemen take longer to develop.

• Loonie says:

I think it’s hard to say. Beaulieu is built in the mold of the ideal defenseman. If he develops well he’ll have elite passing, shooting, creativity and size at the NHL level.

He truly has all of the skills to be one of the best. Further to that, while a player like Subban is extremely talented his skills when they present themselves look like they’re being exhibited in a labouring fashion. Beaulieu demonstrates his skill with ease. It all seems so effortless for him.

If Sylvain Lefebvre can teach him proper defensive instincts and how to use his size effectively I believe he’ll be one of the best in the game.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

You know what worries me about Beaulieau was the WJC he was in. I know you can’t base things off one tournament, let alone play, so this is all with a grain of salt.

But remember that goal against the Russians when we were down 5-1 or something already and he just gave up on the play? They score, make it 6-1 and we come back to 6-5 (largely on the energy of Gally).

That play worried me a lot. Hopefully it was an anomaly, or something he felt terrible about and will learn from for the rest of his career. Regardless, it unsettled me.

That said, that’s the only time I’ve really seen him play, so I’m well aware that his game is more robust than a single play and the scouts know far more than me.

25. GenerationYHabs says:

You know your team’s doing well when the majority of the posts on a thread focus on sightseeing advice and jokes about a hockey cliche.

26. thebonscott says:

Love the drafting of dietz, but i have heard the first on the ice last off the ice line so much about players, these practices must take forever.

“I found out that a guy I hate has cancer … I told him I feel bad for the cancer” -Ed the Sock.

Price in nets tonight? Oh goody – Tavares is going to have a field trip.

28. B says:

Komisarek is now a $4.5M per year Marlie.

–Go Habs Go!–

29. jedimyrmidon says:

The NHL better watch out: according to TSN’s Jonas Siegel, Kadri shut down the Stamkos line!

Let the hype resume.

30. Habsrule1 says:

Therrien talking to PK about his discetion was not a mistake.
    Coaches talking to players about errors they make is par for the course.
    Having to say what he did to the media was a bit much, but that’s where the molehill gets turned into a mountain.
    Relax. He’s treating PK very well by putting him out there a lot, including PP time.
    For some reason, I get the feeling that Therrien and his staff know what they’re doing.

Go Habs Go!!

• punkster says:

What error?

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Timo says:

There was no error. It was a phantom call.

• punkster says:

Seriously Mike…he did his job, separated the player from the puck, his stick never hit the guy’s head, he caused a turnover…and the zebra on the opposite side of the ice made a bad call.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Habsrule1 says:

I disagree to an extent. The fact is he put himself in position to be out of position. That just was not the right time to take a run at someone.
          Of course, the other side of that is if he had connected, nobody would have had a problem with it, but I love PK and don’t think that was the correct play in OT.

Go Habs Go!!

• punkster says:

But he did not put himself out of position did he. He made the play, caused the turn over, did what was expected of him…and a blown call from the official made this whole thing a controversy.

The only thing I would hope that MT said to PK later was…”Next time kid, nail the MF”.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

• Timo says:

Is Habsrules1 also a Mike? Cause if you addressing this to me you are preaching to the converted.

• Habsrule1 says:

I’m not a Mike. He agrees with you. I don’t, but that’s cool. The real problem is with the ref, but that doesn’t mean what PK did was 100% the right thing to do in that situation.

And I’m not going to take Therrien out of the running for the Jack Adams because he spoke to PK about this.

Go Habs Go!!

• twilighthours says:

Just because you separated your man from the puck does not mean it is the right hockey play. You know this, Dave.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

He went for a massive hit against a minor leaguer instead of just disrupting the play, I think that’s the concern. He loves that hit (the Marchand, Larrson one), but it’s a high risk play. Guessing that’s what Therrien wants to get him to be more selective with

• Habs_4_ever says:

So if Subban makes the hit would it still a mistake? It seams to me that the only thing he did wrong is miss his check.

————————
      “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

31. Strummer says:

Warren Cromartie working on bringing MLB back to Montreal.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• mdp2011 says:

As much as I would love to see my Expos back, I don’t think it will ever happen. I don’t see anyone or any group who are willing to pony up 700M$-1Billion $ for a team and a new park.

• Strummer says:

Yes that is a sum that approaches the national debt of a small country.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habsfan0 says:

Repost:

Yes,there is DEFINITELY a market for major league baseball in Montreal.
        However,MLB will not return to Montreal on Bud Selig’s watch. Also,a downtown stadium with a retractable roof within walking distance of a metro station would be required. I’m not sure if this land is still available adjacent or close to the Bell Centre.

And how about conducting a feasibility study on whether or not an NFL team would be a success in Montreal. IMHO,it would probably do better than a MLB team and could play out of Olympic Stadium(as long as significant upgrades were made to that edifice,including,but not limited to,corporate boxes.)

Additionally, a salary cap system has to be implemented by MLB,as it is the only major sports league in North America currently without one.

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it will happen eventually. A couple big players in the private sector can come up with the money. Hell, Rogers has a team. Perhaps Bell should compete.

Go Habs Go!!

• habsfan0 says:

One of the ways to raise revenue for any potential future tenant of Olympic Stadium would be to attach a corporate name to it.

How about “le stade du Tim Horton Donuts”?

And yes, I’m aware the province currently owns the stadium;however,everything is negotiable.

• Cal says:

Gigantic pipe dream. Montreal needs a billionaire to own them that has a plan to field a winning team within 5 years. That being said, good luck Cromartie.

• Sportfan says:

I support that 100% I know the Odds suck but it can happen I think you have to use Winnipeg as an example get a minor league team and build a stadium for that team with enough land around it to expand get hype around that farm team and from there try to get a new team

32. adamkennelly says:

anyone else concerned that Prust’s shoulder injury will affect his ability to fight? knowing him, he will do it anyways but prolly not the best idea in the world. all the more reason to get him some help. MB – time to make some calls…

• HabFanSince72 says:

That’s right – gotta get a goon ’cause Prust’s shoulder isn’t healed.

It’s like if you’re cold because the window is open you buy a new house.

• adamkennelly says:

that makes no sense…nice try on the funny comment…its exactly like getting a guy who can help Prust out so he doesn’t risk re-injuring his shoulder fighting some hack from Toronto or Boston.

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

Just to be clear – injury or no, Prust fights because he feels like it. So he is impervious to “fighting some hack” because he was challenged.

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

33. frontenac1 says:

Isn’t Saskatoon where Super Dave Osborne got his authentic Saskatchewan Sealskin Leather gloves from?

34. Sportfan says:

Having fun isn’t hard when you’ve got a library card :P

35. Stu Cowan says:

My apologies for screwing up a few of the links to stories on original post here … they have been fixed now.

36. Loonie says:

Would anyone be in favour of renaming an NHL division after Colin Campbell if he promised to go away and never come back?

For PK it must be awesome to know that while he is expected to go out there and delivery error free 30 minutes per game he doesn’t have an ounce of support from his own coach.

NExt season will be his last in the CH uniform.

38. punkster says:

Whoever posted these articles has a Thursday morning hangover.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

41 more no votes needed to bring back a semblance of sanity back to these pages.

40. fuhgawz says:

Saskatoon is an amazing little city. I suggest everyone to come and visit it just once in their life. This is my second home and has been since I went to university here, it keeps pulling me back a few times a year. Starting to get a big city feel but a long ways off that. Like I said …if u haven’t been check it out. Go Blades ! And Go Habs !

41. bwoar says:

Saskatoon >>>>> Edmonton
    That’s all I wish to say about it.

“thoroughbred”

42. Luke says:

Do you think Gauthier only brought two jerseys to his drafts. One for the 1st pick and then the others got to pass the second one around for the photo shoot?

So I think it’s not even a question that Habs are going to lose tonight. The question is by how many goals? I say, 4-2 Isles.

44. SteverenO says:

I think I am leading the league in posting when the thread is about to change; Here is the repost of my gem from the previous discussion;

Biggest difference between these two teams. The Isles have given up 68 even strength goals in 29 games. In the same number of games the Habs have given up 42 even strength goals. That almost a full goal a game difference.

In my opinion playing against a “weak” defensive team our strategy should be to go -all out pressure all the time. The whole game should resemble the third period against Buffalo ( who are only slightly better defensively then the Isles have given up 60 even strength goals).

Some tips for MT in case he`s reading:

1). Take Gallagher off the PP, the team has scored only 3 PP goals in the 55 minutes that he has been on the unit so far.
    2). Play Gallagher on the Penalty kill, he should be able to chase the puck down and clear the zone.
    3). Don`t play Georges on the 2nd wave PP. Either use Tinordi, or even better go with Eller or Galchenyuk on the point
    4) Switch up defense pairings on the Penalty Kill . Play PK with either Markov or Bullion and Georges with either Markov or Emelin.

regards,

Steve O.

P.S. I would think that the guy who drives the zamboni driver who would be the first on the ice and the last one to leave.

• shiram says:

I don’t get Tirnordi on the PP, might as well try Emelin there.

• Luke says:

Neither is worse than Jorges…

(Is that grammatically correct?)

Either is better?

Theys ain’t never no worse ‘en ‘e is, me says.

• SteverenO says:

We are “missing” a 6th defenceman and a second wave d-man for the point. If Tinordi can`t fill that role better than Kaberle , why is he playing?

The way I see it there are only two options,put a forward on the point for the second wave, and use anyone available (Tinordi, Patteryn, St Denis, Weber) as the 6th d-man, or bring up/trade for a d-man that can play 8 or 9 minutes at even strength AND 1 or 2 minutes on the second wave PP.

In my opinion, we already have that guy… Kaberle,and in a pinch Weber (when healthy) can fill that role as well.

regards,

Steve O.

No offence to Darren Dietz, but seems to me that there can be only 1 player who is first on and last off the ice all the time. Yet this analogy does seem to get spread about quite freely. Perhaps similar to listening to Pierre McGuire call a hockey game in which no matter which team is playing there are players who are the best in the league at particular skillsets.

46. Chris says:

Great article on Glenn Hall. It is almost mind-boggling that whenever the list of the greatest goalies comes up, his name is often an afterthought for so many today.

He probably should be right there in the pantheon of the 4 or 5 best of all time.

The rage these days is whether it is Brodeur, Hasek or Roy. But Hall, Sawchuk, Esposito, Dryden, Plante, Vezina, Hainesworth, Thomposon….so many greats to choose from.

47. Captain aHab says:

So that means that Thrower is only the second guy on the ice, AT BEST….he SUCKS! ;-D

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

I just might take a plane to Saskatoon for this Memorial Cup, if the Belleville Bulls get there.
    Belleville starts their 1st round of playoffs tonight, against Mississaga.
    Belleville with the two Subban brothers finished top dog in the eastern conference this year. They are good!

49. habsfan0 says:

I was in Saskatoon once.
    Train stopped there for a few minutes on the way to B.C.
    Can’t say I remember much about that town.
    But,in all fairness,it was dark.

• SmartDog says:

I was there last summer for a conference. Actually I was surprised, it’s a very pretty town.

It has a huge river the runs through the middle, wide streets and lots of trees. It’s like a big version of small town Canada. Nice place, at least that was my impression. The Univesrity campus there was also really nice – relaxed, lots of space and trees.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

50. Habitoban says:

“Bourque nearing return to blue line”.. damn… I was hoping for his return to the blue paint!

51. H.Upmann says: