Bell Centre sells out for fans to watch Game 7 from Boston

The Canadiens’ sellout streak will continue at the Bell Centre even though Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Bruins will be played in Boston Wednesday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens decided to open up the Bell Centre for fans who wanted to watch Game 7 on the arena’s giant screens, selling tickets for $10 with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation. It was announced after 6 p.m. on Tuesday that the Bell Centre was sold out with more than 20,000 fans expected. There will also be a pregame Fan Jam outside the Bell Centre starting at 5:30 p.m., and fans inside the arena will be treated to the same pre-game show as when the Canadiens play at home. The Canadiens have a sellout streak of 406 consecutive games at the Bell Centre, dating back to Jan. 8, 2004.

The Canadiens held an optional practice Tuesday morning in Brossard before flying to Boston with Alex Galchenyuk skating with his teammates for the first time since suffering a lower-body injury on April 9 during a game in Chicago.

“He’s progressing really well,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard about Galchenyuk. “(Obviously) he’s not going to play tomorrow.”

Goaltenders Carey Price and Peter Budaj also took part in the optional practice along with Ryan White, George Parros, Michael Bournival, Travis Moen, Douglas Murray, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Francis Bouillon. Assistant coach Gerard Gallant ran the practice.

When asked about getting ready for a Game 7, Therrien said: “It’s all about preparation … it’s all about attitude. Tomorrow won’t be any different for us than yesterday.”

Therrien said his team played “a helluva game” in Game 6, beating the Bruins 4-0 to force Game 7.

“The only thing that we got to do now is reset the focus and make sure we get another good game tomorrow,” the coach added.

Therrien was asked about his team turning the other cheek at the end of Game 6 when the Bruins started getting physical with Zdeno Chara taking slashing and roughing penalties against Mike Weaver and Jarome Iginla taking a roughing and misconduct penalty against Brian Gionta. Weaver also received a slashing and misconduct penalty.

“This is playoff hockey, you know,” Therrien said. “It’s going to be physical at times. We’re ready to compete.”

The coach added: “I don’t like to talk about the other team. I’m focusing on my players, on my team. Yesterday it was a huge challenge for us. We got the right attitude and we responded the right way. Tomorrow is another huge challenge and we need to have the right attitude again.”

Canadiens captain Gionta said his team has felt confident all series against the Bruins.

“We know we can bring it to them when there’s no tomorrow,” Gionta said. “There’s nothing to be afraid of.

“(Game 7s are) fun, you have to go out there and enjoy the moment,” he added. “Every kid dreams of it. They’re special to be a part of. It’s win or go home. If you’re a competitive person, and you’re not in this profession if you aren’t, then that’s what you look for.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

The stage is set for Game 7, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Hockey is the real winner in Habs vs. Bruins series, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Habs need to stick to their game, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘Black Ace’ Beaulieu gets the call for Habs, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Therrien impressed with Beaulieu’s playoff debut, montrealgazette.com

Share your Habs rituals, montrealgazette.com

Bruins, Habs set for ninth Game 7 in storied rivalry, NHL.com

Price shutout sends Habs to Game 7, by Pat Hickey

Price leads a Habs team possessed, by Dave Stubbs

‘That’s the best I’ve seen this team play – ever,’ Pacioretty says, by Pat Hickey

Game 6 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Born for this, Canadiens.com

Subban eager for Game 7, NHL.com

Subban the NHL’s modern-day Ric Flair, The Hockey News

Beaulieu solid in playoff debut, NHL.com

Bruins quickly shifting focus to Game 7, NHL.com

Heart of a lion, canadiens.com

‘Go home and get the job done,’ Bruins Bergeron says, bostonbruins.com

Game 7 the only way to end Bruins-Canadiens, Boston Globe

Bruins squirt with disaster by allowing Habs to force Game 7, Boston Herald

Bruins could use Tyler Seguin right now, The Hockey News

Former Hab Muller joins Blues as assistant coach, NHL.com

1. HankHardball says:

Habs know what they have to do.

B’s? Not so much.

2. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Fever ³

Full Moon – Playoff – Habs Fever !!!

GO Habs GO!!!

3. Hobie says:

Since the beat down in Boston, then the Bruins game 7 win against us, their trips to finals and Stanley Cup victory, the last four years have been hell for most Canadiens fans. We’ve has some regular season success (who cares) against the Bruins but they’ve basically been rubbing out nose it in for four years. Oh, that Pacioretty cheap shot and on and on.

This is the biggest Canadiens game since the 1993 playoffs. If we win, we can finally lift the gorilla off out backs! Jack Edwards, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand and all those classless Bruins fans down in Boston will be sent packing.

PLEASE GOD LET US WIN THIS HOCKEY GAME!!!!!!

• Captain aHab says:

Hate to point out the obvious but that same god let Bawston win in 2011. Not sure I’d count on him/her/it.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

4. Marek says:

Although the last game was an elimination game for our boys, today the stress is just unbearable, im sitting at work and can’t focus. Butterflies in my stomach, sweaty palms. If only I could bring in a 6 pack to calm my nerves

Some analytical evidence supporting the fact refs don’t call much in Game 7′s.

6. Luke says:

Happy Game 7 Day!

What a feeling. Tension, excitement, anticipation all bundled up into one tight wad of unmanageable energy.

The team has far exceeded my expectations for them this season, so why not exceed them by a little more?

Go Habs!

(Yes, I picked up the good luck fancy coffee)

7. thebonscott says:

One thing I have noticed win or lose, what a player Bournival will be when he adds a little more to his offensive game, have you noticed how high Therien is on him, deploying him to protect leads in the final minutes.

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

• Captain aHab says:

He puts himself in good position in the o-zone. What remains is for the game to slow down for him a bit. I’ve seen him several times be wide open but he rushes his shot and gets off a weak one. Once he gains confidence, he’ll be very very good.

To think we got him for the purse thief…..

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

8. Captain aHab says:

Trotz in Pittsburgh? Discuss….

He’s pretty good with young guys and his teams play with a pretty good structure. True he hasn’t often moved beyond the first round but it’s also true that although he’s had great d-men, he hasn’t exactly had great offensive threats to work with. I could see Malkin being moved to get a very solid d-man and a couple other pieces and I think Trotz could easily work with what he would get.

Certainly more exciting than the Vancouver job….

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

9. thebonscott says:

@habfan17 i recall reading the player the habs wanted to move up and get was samuel morin, not sure of the validity of that though

C’mon guys this is not rocket surgery!!!!

Would be a real shame if Rask’s new baby happens to be a bit caulky and may have cried most of the night last night…….

11. montreal ace says:

Crosby the best player in the world, who gets to play with Brian Gibbons and Chris Kunitz. No team has to check Crosby when his own coach does it for them, anyway F the Pens and GO Habs GO

Agree with this in many ways. Especially the Effing of the Pens and the Go Habs Go part!

• krob1000 says:

yup….painful…especially considering he is a passer. In a game like yesterday they would have been best off to load one line…they needed 2 or 3 goals. Crosby would carryt he puck stop and look…and noone would be open…ever. Kunitz was invisible. Did that Gibbons guy even play?

• Les Canayens says:

Makes you realize how important Pascal Dupuis is all along.

12. habs-fan-84 says:

My thoughts on the Penguins:

-Crosby and Malkin stay
    -Neal traded
    -Letang traded
    -Coaching change (obviously)
    -Joe Thornton becomes a Penguin (among others)
    -Fleury becomes a back-up to Ryan Miller?

I just can’t think of any good reason to trade Malkin. It would be trading him for the sake of trading him. Not to mention I’m sure he has a NTC, and there’s a risk he’d bolt to the KHL if he was asked to waive it.

13. Captain aHab says:

24Cups says below the Habs need to reach into their rich past to find what they need to win tonight.

Although I’ve seen this team win a lot of cups, I, for one, am tired of the constant rehashing of the glorious past. It’s time for this team to make a glorious present and future.

They need to look into themselves, not Guy Lafleur or Howie Morenz. If anyone wins this game it won’t be the ghosts, it’ll be the guys on tonight’s roster.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

14. Habfan17 says:

@ 24cups

Do you remember a player by the Name of Doug Wickenheiser? Big, scored a ton of points in junior. Not saying Mantha will be like him, but at this point you don’t know and Bergevin would have had to trade something he obviously wasn’t willing to part with to move up and get him. He did say he tried to move up. Would you have potentially given up their first and Beaulieu to move up? Maybe more was asked!

It is easy to say he could have moved up. There were probably other teams trying to move up. Bergevin said he did try. The asking was too much in his mind.

Habfan17

I’m gonna go on limb here and say 24Cups indeed remembers the player Doug Wickenheiser.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, we don’t know if MB even liked him or the price to move up.

• 24 Cups says:

HF17 – I think it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say the Habs would have to give up Beaulieu to move up from 26th to 20th spot. It would be more like Montreal’s 1st, one of their 2nd’s and a mid range prospect like Collberg or Kristo (if he hadn’t been given away). Or Diaz.

Montreal doesn’t get many chances to obtain a French-Canadien high end prospect and I just thought this would have been an opportune time to do so. Not to mention the kid has great size. I realize there are a lot of variables and what ifs but it might have been a shot at a future line of MaxPac/Galchenyuk/Mantha. That would seriously rock.

24.4 Cups

15. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

“Andale! Andale! Arriba! Arriba!”
    GO Habs GO!!!

16. Strummer says:

Jacques Martin- Congtatulations on a job- done!

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

17. Prop says:

This is going to be SUCH a long day!!!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

18. CJ says:

In other news, as discussed a couple of months ago, looks like Robert Mayer is leaving the Hamilton Bulldogs, heading for the Swiss league. The writing was certainly on the wall. Condon was going to bump him down to the ECHL next season. Condon, IMO, is the most improved prospect in our system. A free agent signing from Princeton, he has consistently improved his play all season and is now to be considered a serious part of the future.

Condon and Tokarski should form a great duo in Hamilton next season.

19. rhino514 says:

I think Rask will be the key.
    The habs will get some chances, but they won´t get a ton. They need to get at least one dirty, perhaps stoppable, goal. If Rask is on, it will be tough. Up to now Price has outplayed him. This needs to continue tonight.
    The bruins have hit over a dozen posts and crossbars (can´t say we haven´t had our breaks); they are either tight, or know they have to make the perfect shot to beat Price.
    I never thought I would see Price be so consistently solid as he has been these playoffs. Without him the habs never get to game 7, nor to game 6. He has truly come of age.

• CJ says:

He deserved a better fate in game two and game four. We might have gotten more bounces, but the bounces the Bruins have gotten have ended games.

Game four still bothers me. Price pitches a 60 minute shutout and we lose…..

• Ozmodiar says:

There’s no way Rask will win tonight.

Whether he “chokes” or loses a tough one remains to be seen, but no way he wins. Book it!!

20. CJ says:

Good morning folks!

So, has the Penguins’ coach been fired yet? Kidding of course. But seriously, is Dan Bylsma still in Pittsburgh?

IMO, all you need to know about the Penguins can be found on capgeek.com. When you have over 40% of your payroll invested in 4 players, you need them to produce. As crazy as this sounds, I thought MA Fleury gave them a chance to win. You can not pin this series loss on the goaltending. The Rangers played a suffocating brand of hockey and simply got more from their complimentary players. Additionally, the Rangers best players (Richards, St. Louis, and the King) were all among the best players on the ice. I can not say the same thing about Malkin, Crosby and Letang…..

I had the pleasure of watching a great junior game last night between Baie Comeau and Val d’Or. Baie Comeau, down 0-3 in the game came all the way back to tie it up at 3 with just over a minute to go, and then proceed to lose on a bad bounce with just over 30 seconds remaining. Talk about heartbreak! What it does prove, once again, is that in a deciding game, anything can and likely will happen. This takes me to our series…..

Honestly, I think I have aged by at least two months these past two weeks. I would give another two months of my life for a series win this evening. I’d give more, but I have a beautiful family and I want to be around to see our boys graduate, get married and have their own families. I keep telling myself that this is just a game. The outcome will have no appreciable consequence on my life outside of this fanatacism with our beloved Canadiens. It is just a game…..just a game….. But alas, it’s deeper than that. Beating Boston this evening would essentially be righting a wrong. Good versus evil where the balance of power could shift. When the Canadiens beat the Flyers in the 70′s, it was a major victory not only for the franchise, but for hockey. This, IMO, is a similar turning point.

The Bruins, a classless group are filled with whiners, thugs and men with no morale fibric. How sweet would it be to walk into Boston and beat them on their ice? How likley is that outcome; I suppose it depends on who you ask. Outside of this wonderful online community, not many are giving us a chance. What I do see happening however is a new found respect for many of our players, none more than PK. The world seems to have awoken to the gift we were given in the second round. I have had people, online and in person tell me they hated PK and now respect his style of play and the person he has become.

In this test of good versus evil we simply must prevail. Price, who I said before the series started would need a save percentage equal to or better than .930 is right on track (currently .932). This excellent goaltending needs to continue. But, it doesn’t stop there. Everyone, EVERYONE, needs to contribute tonight. I understand that things went our way last game and that its very difficult to carry momentum forward in the Stanley Cup playoffs, but we simply must find a way to get it done. Bourque needs to compete. It is going to hurt getting hit or giving a hit. Your body won’t like it, but it is so much easier than living with a mind riddled with what ifs…. I hope the boys leave nothing in the dressing room and bring from the drop of the puck to the final siren. If we lose, we lose, but let’s show the world what we are made of.

Go Habs, Go Habs, Go Habs!!! Best wishes everyone, CJ

• Habfan17 says:

Hey CJ,

Such a great read!! Very true, I have been on the edge f the couch for each game.

On Bourque, he really impressed me last game, He threw a hit on Charra and took him down. He has had a real solid playoff!

If they boys play the same way all game as they did in game 6, they should be able to win.

Habfan17

21. Mr_MacDougall says:

Here’s how the Habs and b’s stack up with goals by line

1st Habs 7 B’s 8
    2nd Habs 8 B’s 7
    3rd Habs 9 B’s 4
    4th Habs 3 B’s 1
    D Habs 6 B’s 7

Do the pundits actually watch hockey? Or just reiterate the trends that others are saying?

The Habs have a better 3rd line, it isn’t even debatable. Eller, Gionta, and Bourque are far superior, but I hear in the sports media over and over how awesome Soderberg and Ericson are without even comparing and contrasting the lines.. How can one be better without comparison?

Same,goes for the 4th line, can’t we all agree that Prust, Weiss, and Dany B have been dominating the B’s 4th line? But it is commonplace among NHL ‘analysts’ to crown Boston as the 4th line champions of the world. Thornton, Paille do not scare me, do they scare any of you?

That is my rant. I have no idea why Boston is a “far deeper team” at what position, other than center, are hey better?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• rhino514 says:

i think your stats include the tampa series when bourque and eller exploded.
      if the bruins beat us it will be because of their third line. They singlehandedly won them a couple of games.
      They pounded on Murray and Weaver, as has been well documented.
      We wouldn´t even be here if MT had stuck The Kid in earlier.

22. rhino514 says:

Prust and Emelin playing as well as they did is a big plus for us.
    Bourque, though, needs to be more agressive like he was earlier in the playoffs. Gio after a decent start in Tampa doesn´t seem to have as much left offensively as I was hoping he would come playoff time. He needs to use his experience, especially with his good hands in close to be a factor tonight.
    Gorges was great last game, i thought he should have had a star. Weaver and Weise, I can´t say enough about Bergevin finding these guys. Man, can Weise skate for a tough guy.

23. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

Looking at Pittsburgh, it wouldn’t be a big surprise if either Malkin or Crosby were traded for a host of reasons.

If these 2 stay, the combined Cap Hit next year will be $18.2M.
    If the Cap goes to $69M, they represent +26% of the Pens total Cap Space.

To make things worse, the Pens only have 14 players signed next year with about $14M of Cap Space.
    They have 3 important RFAs to deal with along with a gang of UFAs such as Niskanen-Orpik….

Next, making that trade would ‘freshen-up’ Pittsburgh and a kings ransom of players-picks would come back and set them up for a long time.

So who do you keep?
    – The former Conn Smythe Trophy winner in Malkin who has proven he can carry the team without Crosby?
    – The supposed face of the NHL who is a great regular season performer – one of the Best Ever, yet has had big troubles over the years in last or elimination playoff series? (6 goals in 31 games including the Cup year and since then)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Ronn, I think you’re looking at it from the wrong angle.

If you owned the a pens, would you trade either of those player? They pretty much guarantee a playoff appearance and a profit. Often times that is what determines whether a player stays or goes.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Commandant says:

I’d buy out the goalie…. $6 million a year can get you something better.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Can you earn a greater return on investment? Buying him out likely costs you the profit of a playoff series per year. Would not having him get you an average of one round deeper per year therefore offsetting the loss?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Commandant says:

With the forwards you have, and his propensity to blow things, yes i think you can get one extra playoff series per year with him.

Along with re-invigorating the fanbase to “believe” a little bit more which would lead to higher regular season (and playoff prices).

Plus just as an example of what you could get, I think you’d sell more “ryan miller” jerseys and merch than you would fleury in the next few years.

All that combined, i think you profit…. One cup and you profit a lot.

• Maritime Ronn says:

They could do that, then they have no goalie under contract except for…Jeff Zatcoff and a few other kids

• Strummer says:

Goalies are easy to come by.
            Fleury is the only Cup-winning goalie in the last 10 years who won it with the team that originally drafted him.

____________________________________________________
            “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Maritime Ronn says:

The Business of Hockey may get in the way.
        With one or the other, they are still pretty well a playoff team.
        Look back when Crosby was hurt, They didn’t miss a step.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’ll add t that, would you trade Subban for either of those players?

I would not.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Ozmodiar says:

There’s no way Crosby will be traded. You can give all the “hockey” reasons in the world, but it won’t be enough.

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think it far more likely that Letang or Fluery go. No way Crosby gets traded. They may need to open up some cap space or trade a guy like Letang for two strong complimentary pieces. I know the general rule is whoever gets the best player wins the trade, but this may be an exception as the Pens need to do something to shake things up.

24. careysubban3176 says:

I really think this isn’t going to be a close game. It’s going to be one sided. Just don’t know who it favors though.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all! Funny thing about tonight. The game may very well be determined by a single bad bounce, a bad shift, or a bad play. The fact that a single event could result in a season being termed a failure or success is what makes chest pains during the playoffs.

It’s what is hate about the game and what I love about the game. CHeers.

26. Habies says:

In 2011 I was listening Game 7 (Boston/Habies) on a remote Burmese peninsula ravaged by a cyclone. We just installed the area’s first internet connection ever to facilitate logistics, contracts, rice, wood, photos, etc. I used it to listen to the game. Here’s a video I made from that morning (evening) as we were entering overtime, my colleagues were readying to deliver rice and an assessment — and I was about to collapse from the loss. Tonight is finally time for redemption.

27. Commandant says:

An Ode to Game 7

Forever foes, a battle 90 years in the making;
    Unrelenting rivals ready to do it one more time.
    Canadiens and Boston as it was meant to be.
    Keeping the memory of legends past, and creating new ones.

Let them play, don’t call penalties will be the call of Don Cherry
    Evoking memories of too many men on the ice at the Fabled Forum
    Skating down the wing, Lafleur unleashes his slapshot

Boston is the site of the big game.
    Rene Rancourt rallying his home team’s fans
    Undeterred our fearless warriors enter the den of the Bear
    Inspired by the ghosts of the Rocket, Plante, and Morenz
    No Tommorrow, a must win today.
    Subban wanting to take it all away, Carey ready to shut the door.

The boogeyman for past Hab teams has been their inability to get past physical, dirty teams that play on the edges of the rulebook. Teams like Boston and Philadelphia. Boston plays with a lot of bravado and confidence knowing that they can flaunt the rules other teams play by and somehow get away with it, both in the eyes of the refs and the league. That confidence has now been shaken twice in this series when they were dominated by the Habs. Both times were on Montreal’s home ice so the true litmus test will be on Wednesday in the unfriendly confines of the Boston Garden.

I think there are a few differences from the past. The Carey Price of today is much more confident than the one from the past. The Habs are legitimately able to roll four decent lines and are also getting stellar support from Dmen such as Gorges and Emelin who are playing at the height of their games. The team is also able to generate more offense as witnessed by the play of MaxPac and Vanek in game six. To be fair, it also helps that the Bruins have some key players experiencing major slumps as well as the dozen Bruin pucks that have hit the iron. However, the Habs seem to be firing on all cylinders right now as witnessed by the play of lesser lights such as Weaver, Weise, Bournival and Bourque.

Scoring the first goal will be crucial for the Habs. More so than Boston. That statement may be a cliché but it’s also a truism. A level playing field with unbiased referees would also give the Habs a chance to show it’s true colours. Much like golf, a 7th, deciding game is all about what is going on in a player’s head. The Habs, who just put forth an all-out clinic on how to beat the Boston Bruins, now must believe more than ever before that there is no reason why they can’t be the team, that after 20 years, is truly ready to accept the passing of the torch. Each player will have to excel in their specific role that they are assigned, to capitalize on their natural skill and experience and display the heart to want it more, no matter what that may take at any given point in the game. Even though Boston will be favoured in game 7, as they should be, Montreal’s players need to reach back into the team’s rich history of 24 Cups to find that spiritual and mental edge that will once again return glory to our beloved team.

Carey! Carey! Carey!

24.4 Cups

• Old Bald Bird says:

Preach it, brother!

• Marc10 says:

This is as true a test of character as this team could ever hope to get. Max, Lars, Gally, Bourni, Weise, Nate… They could grow exponentially in confidence from a game like that. Once you slay a dragon (or a really ugly bear), well you prove to yourself and everybody else that you can hang at the top of the foodchain.

This team got a glimpse in Game 6. They can do what Minny failed to do and take the next step. They’re ready and they’re lead by some all world talent coming into its own.

+24

29. Fansincebirth says:

Simple game plan for the Habs tonight.
    Score first and take the crowd out of it.
    Skate fast and quick transition game.
    Be physical but not to stoop to their game.
    Let the Bruins take stupid penalties and make them pay.
    Price needs another stellar game.

One game left in this series, let’s save our best for last and move on to meet the Rangers!

30. Captain aHab says:

So Bylsma….

When Therrien was fired in 2008-2009, Gonchar was just coming back from a lengthy injury. Tell me all you want that Gonchar wasn’t a great defensive d-man but he was a very good offensive d-man. Getting him back didn’t hurt Bylsma. He also got Fedotenko after a one month absence. Then at the trade deadline they got Guerin and Kunitz who both played very well the rest of the way.

Still think Therrien got a bad deal being fired when he did. He didn’t help himself with his very public rant but was he wrong at the time? After reaching the Cup final the year before the Pens lost/replaced 9-10 FAs I think. That would have been one hell of an adjustment time for anyone.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Marc10 says:

Coaching changes often produce a bounce. Guys get a chance to reboot and listen to a different message. Therrien did well in Wilkes Barre and then brought the Pens into contention. He was tough and he had to be with those young guys. There was a country club mentality and he helped change the team from an Oiler-like floundering team of talented young guns into a very hard skating, forechecking team. Bylsma walked into a pretty sweet situation. The next guy might too.

31. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Cloudy with a chance of ┬┴┬┴┤ʕ•ᴥ├┬┴┬┴.

32. Marc10 says:

Great words for Weise and his team from Brian Wilde.

MB must be doing a little dance at landing Weise and Weaver. That’s just ridiculous how those two have paid off.

Here’s your game preview.

For me, three things need to happen.
    The Habs get to Rask early.
    The Lucic/Krejci/Iginla line stays cold.
    The Habs pressure Dmen Bartkowski and Miller.

24.4 Cups

The one that got away. Again.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 8h
    According to @TSNquizmaster, that’s 81 goals in 81 GP for Mantha. 57 in 57 reg season; 24 in 24 playoffs. No math major but that’s GAG.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie · 8h
    DET prospect Anthony Mantha scores GWG in final minute of G7 to give Val-d’Or the QMJHL championship. Join GUE, EDM, LDN in Memorial Cup.

24.4 Cups

• mount royal says:

They had no chance to get him. What do you mean again? Their drafting in the past couple of years has been excellent.

• JUST ME says:

The one that got away. Again

One more and easy reason to complain and spit on the team. But how about Gallagher or Lucic that were not picked by the Canucks ? Both played in their backyard also !

What ? It happens to every team ? Naaahhh ! Cant`t be ! Only in MTL !!! le sigh…

• Cal says:

Habs were 5 picks behind on this one, Steve. He’s not “one that got away” yet, because doing well in junior is one thing. Playing against men is quite another.
      EDIT- strike that- he’s bleeping huge. Habs picked up McCarron- huge,too but not such a scorer yet.

• 24 Cups says:

Cal – Mantha is 6’5″/205 and has scored 136 goals in his last 158 games. He was a 50 goal scorer in his draft year. He was born in Quebec and has played in Val d’ Or. I realize that hindsight is the easiest thing in sports but Montreal had the extra pieces to move up.

24.4 Cups

• Cal says:

He was drafted 20th overall. A lot of teams had already passed him by and we do not know if the Habs did try to make a deal to move up.
          I don’t think that Detroit, with aging Franzen, wanted to pass up a big scoring winger.

• Marc10 says:

I recall MB tried to move down in that draft twice. Once I think for the big Dman Morin that the Flyers took and once for Mantha. Didn’t work.

MB was working the phones that draft. There was an ‘inside the draft’ video of Columbus and just before they were set to go to the podium, Bergie was on the phone trying to get their pick too…

Make of it what you will. Who knows what it would have taken to land a guy like Mantha? Beaulieu? Tiny? Collberg? More than one?

• Habfan17 says:

Habfan17

• 24 Cups says:

Let me explain what I meant.

If the Hab scouts knew that Mantha was a hot prospect then Montreal could have moved up 6 spots in the draft. Teams do it all the time with San Jose being a prime example.

As for Gallagher, you’re right. Which kind of proves my point.

JUST ME – complain and spit on the team? Are you for real? Do you realize how loyal I am to this team?

24.4 Cups

• Loop_Garoo says:

Extremely difficult to do if the other team thinks that Mantha is a good pick. Why in the world would another team trade down and pass on Mantha, or another better player. It does happen from time to time, but the Habs choices would have been McCarron and De La Rose, or Mantha, if they could find a partner to trade with.

You’ll never guess who made this comment. I had to chuckle a bit.

“You can’t beat the Bruins playing like the Bruins,” a Hab player said Tuesday. “I think they’re probably the best at (physical hockey).

“We have to be smarter. We’ll have to take punches. We’ll have to take slashes. We’ll have to get hurt at times. That’s when we’re most successful, when we don’t get into their game.”

24.4 Cups

36. Cal says:

In less than 13 hours we will witness the most heated rivals in all of the sports world in the seventh and deciding game of what has been a pretty amazing series. The Habs and Bruins have been relentless, with plenty of hits and all the chintzy crap Marchand can muster. The forechecking for both sides has been ferocious.
    Can Price answer the bell and come up with his biggest game ever as a Hab? Will Rask fold like a cheap tent? Will PK take the series into his hands and deliver when the team needs it most? Will Bourque score the series winner, stupefying everyone?
    The clock is ticking. Can’t wait.

37. Marc10 says:

“It’s going to be great,” Subban said of Game 7. “I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

I cannot wait for this game.

• JUST ME says:

He said it`s going to be loud, it`s going to be nasty,it`s going to be dirty and can`t wait for that moment ! Love the guy !

There are dozens of reasons why we should , can and will win.

Until then, time will seem at a stand still, already looks like it is !

38. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Time to make the donuts.

39. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

“A Bar In Montreal Has A Dead Zdeno Chara Doll Hung From The Ceiling. ”

Versus what ? An alive one.
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

40. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Tease me, TEASE me.
    Go Habs GO !!!

41. DipsyDoodler says:

Does Dan Bylsma get fired? If so, does he quickly get hired somewhere else?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• 24 Cups says:

Kirk Muller to St Louis is a smart move by both parties. Muller can help their offense and PP with his coaching and Kirk gets a run at a Cup while studying with one of the veteran coaches in the league. Muller would also be a good bridge for the generation gap between the young team and it’s older, conservative coach.

It’s going to be a totally revamped NHL next fall with all the coaching, GM and goaltending changes.

24.4 Cups

• JUST ME says:

Agree with you 24. Hitchcock actually needs a guy like Muller (more than the opposite) cause one more season without getting further and he is cooked…

Bylsma will go and will be hired as soon as he is available from a team that would greatly benefit from somone who can get them to a better level. But in Pittsburgh he has no more trick up his sleeves. Everybody knows the formula to beat that team in a best of 7 serie.

• Cal says:

I hear the American Women’s team is looking for a coach…kidding!
      I betcha there’s a team out there that he can convince to give him a shot. I mean, the laffs….that would be too funny, especially after extending Carlyle.

42. rhino514 says:

I have never wanted a team so badly as I do for tonight´s game.
    It would avenge the game 7 overtime loss of 3 years ago which hurt all the more because the Bruins went on to win the Cup.
    The habs definitely go the Finals if they win tonight´s game.
    Bruins have hit around a dozen posts and crossbars on clean looks…We may have run out of breaks.
    On the other hand, with the exception of game 5, our team has gotten better every game and actually clearly outplayed the Bruins for the first time last game; I never would have thought this was possible after the first two games.
    So as long as we are not the ones hitting multiple crossbars and Price doesn´t have an off night, we at least have a chance. We need to get through the first ten minutes or so and then we just gotta believe.

43. rhino514 says:

Just curious as to who gets the non-donation portion of this sellout?
    Is it treated just as if it were the team physically playing in there? i.e. split between the owner and the nhl, and does it goes toward team cap alotment?

• Routs says:

As it is a non game day event, yes non game day as teams aren’t playing there, it would go towards paying overhead of having the building open including lighting, air circulation, staff, etc. Shouldn’t go to overall league revenues or affect cap revenues.

44. habstrinifan says:

Guess Rangers/Vigneault won the Canucks/Tortorella exchange.

45. PK says:

Go Habs Go!!!
    Do we expect any changes in line up …. Given that Therrien does not
    have the last change???

46. Marc10 says:

Game prep for tomorrow:

1. Red, White and Blue hockey sweater = check
    2. Alcohol = check
    3. Ritalin = check
    4. Back up Internet connection = check
    5. Bear skin rug = check (might come in handy in front of fireplace for post game celebration)

All systems go from Oz.
    GHG!

• habstrinifan says:

Back up internet connection!

Too funny!

• Marc10 says:

Neighbour is one different provider and push comes to shove I’ll stream it off my phone…

Australia has one of the worst broadband networks for a first tier economy. It’s a disgrace. But hey, at least the beaches are nice (I think that’s the unofficial slogan for the country…)

47. Marc10 says:

Has Bylsma been fired yet?

• Butterface says:

He keep pushing Mario’s call to voicemail.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

48. habstrinifan says:

Bell Centre sold out…

Good Morning from Neuchatel. Man I’m trying so hard not to get crazy. But AFTER GAME 7…. i AM GOING ALL in BABE…. delirium time.

49. Butterface says:

I have the power of Larry now.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

50. 24AW says:

The Hardest working team will win tomorrow, the dirtiest won’t, depending on the REFS.

51. Marc10 says:

Does anyone play defence in Chicago or Minny? How many back to back breakaways in that game?!

I like this. If the Habs and Anaheim win, the thugs will be in short supply. Speed and skill will be on display.

And Crawford just absolutely stole this game. How many clear cut chances did Minny get? That’s just nuts…

52. 24AW says:

The Hardest working team will win tomorrow, the dirtiest won’t, if the Refs do their job properly.

53. PK says:

The only Original Six team that did not make the playoffs this year:
    The Trawna Maple Laffs.
    A thought : Habs beat Bruins, Rangers and then Hawks ……
    However, tomorrow will be tough … waiting for the puck drop at 4:30

Les Canadiens sont là

Kane does it again.

• ianism says:

christ that bounce was lucky though.

funny, when I turned on the TV at the start of OT I was cheering the Hawks, but 5 mins in I started cheering for the Wild for some reason haha
      great finish though – kinda reminded me of the stanley cup-winning goal in 2010.

Jeezus… Wild is all over Hawks in OT

56. Adidess says:

A few thoughts I had today re-living Monday night’s game in my head…

1. I have never seen a bigger sense of urgency/desperation from any team, in any sports. What we saw last night was not entirely about talent, it was sheer will and determination (and a bit of luck). Unfortunately, that’s not a well a team can go to night after night. Can the boys do it one more time?

2. My gosh, I love Weaver’s grit. This guy is a gem of a shot-blocker. He’s unreal positionally, his stick is a shield. He’s so small, yet so effective. I’m in awe of him sometimes (Gorges & Emelin also played a very good game; in fact who did not).

3. Boston has no Malkin, Toews, P. Kane, Crosby-level of skills and talent on their squad. We don’t either, but I believe we have had the two best players in the series so far, in Carey and PK.

4. I think we can say it now: Price is a better goalie than Rask. Although I’m no goalie expert/coach, I have watched them both for six consecutive games, and I’m reaching the conclusion that Price is better. I like Price’s technique, reflexes, puckhandling skills, and demeanor much better, though both goalies are effective.

5. We have played Boston 10 times so far this year and won 6 out 10. 4 of those wins came at the TD Garden. We should walk into game 7 tomorrow quite confident that we can pull it off.

I so want to see this team play against the Rangers Saturday in the Eastern Conference Finals!

• PK says:

Agree with all your points.
      This could be a game to remember!!!

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

• Habilis says:

1. Couldn’t have said it better. The one thing we were missing in our previous losses was desperation. Had it in spades last night, and need more of the same tomorrow.

2. Agreed on all counts. He has actually shocked me. I expected another Drewiske, but he has been a revelation.

3. The two of them have elevated their play to another level. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they were both first time members of the Canadian Olympic team this season. Playing and winning with the best of the best is a learning experience that cannot be replicated for two young stars.

4. Not a doubt in my mind. I truly believe that Price is the best goalie on the planet right now and has been for about half the season. He is the reason why we’re here and the reason why the Bruins are actually nervous right now, no matter what they say. You have to win one game or you’re done and you have to beat Carey Price to do it? Pants be loaded. ;)

5. I’m not a big believer in history having an impact on the game, but in this case there’s just so much of it that it’s impossible to ignore. Hope it continues.

Yeah, and Eastern Final starting on Saturday in Montreal would be… well just short of heaven, I guess.

Great post. Go Habs Go.

57. kempie says:

Rangers are going to get guzzled by the team that wins this series. It looked like both teams were wearing lead pants tonight.

• ianism says:

I don’t see them having much success against Boston, but I think we are a better matchup for them.
      They’ve made the conference finals twice in the last 3 years and have a better coach and a motivated squad now. They’re not amazing but should not be underestimated.

• Marc10 says:

I think NYR and MTL match up really well. Let’s not analyse that match up until Game 7 is done. There’s still one heck of a mountain to climb…

58. Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m a little choked at all the talk about the bruins being so much deeper than the Habs without any validation.. And bragging up their 3rd line.. I decided to run the numbers.. Notice the Habs bottom 6 has out scored the B’s bottom 6 12-5 in the playoffs…

1st Habs 7 B’s 8
    2nd Habs 8 B’s 7
    3rd Habs 9 B’s 4
    4th Habs 3 B’s 1
    D Habs 6 B’s 7

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

59. ClutchNGrab says:

The last four stanley cup champions are Pittsburgh, Boston, LA and Chicago. Last year, those four teams were in the semi finals. All four teams were in the quarter finals this year. None of them playing each other.

Regardless who end up winning the cup this year, they will have earned it .

60. JF says:

Tuukka Rask has played in two Game sevens; in neither was his performance particularly illustrious. On 14 April 2010 (exactly four years ago tomorrow night), he was in goal when the Bruins, leading the Flyers 3-0 in a series they had once led 3-0, surrendered four goals to lose the game and the series. Then last year he gave up four goals to the Leafs before his team mounted that comeback.

We need to get to Rask early, get him doubting….

61. Mr_MacDougall says:

Wow, there’s a new Patch on the Habs.. Carey Price’s beard.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

62. Mr_MacDougall says:

If the NHL was wrestling, and I was Vince, I’d have the Habs ice a lineup with one fewer players to start the 1st.. In the second period Galchenyuk comes out of the tunnel and scores a natural hatty.

In the 3rd, with the Habs up 5-1 (Price puts one in his own net intentionally because, I quote “game 7 shutouts are for sissy’s”) Lucic tries to decapitate Emelin, misses and collides head to head with Chara, double count out and Emelin and Markov are the new tag team champions.. Rask breaks his stick over the new and the blade shatters Marchand’s nose.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

63. Psycho29 says:

Dave Stubbs‏ @Dave_Stubbs ·11 mins
    Game 7 #Habs #Bruins officials: Referees Dave Jackson, Dan O’Rourke; linesmen Shane Heyer, Brad Kovachik

• Habcouver says:

Is this good or bad for Habs?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• Adidess says:

Not the worst names, that’s for sure. Can anyone who knows these refs’ tendencies suggest what we should expect tomorrow? How vulnerable they might be to bullying or how amenable to doing favors to that Campbell character? -)

• johnnylarue® says:

Pretty sure O’Rourke is of Irish descent, which makes his involvement an obvious conflict of interest according to Ron Maclean.

But seriously, the simple fact that you have to ask tells you everything you need to know: these refs are fine.

And as per the article below, the refs will be at the game purely for decorative purposes anyway so it’s a moot point.

• monmick says:

Jackson is from Montreal, I think…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

64. Say Ash says:

I think everyone needs to take some Ritalin and focus on tomorrow’s game

65. habs001 says:

So if Habs win 12:30 sat in Montreal

66. habsfan0 says:

It was a year ago tonight that the Laffs pulled off the biggest Game 7 3rd period collapse in Stanley Cup playoff history.

The Bruins won’t have the same luck tomorrow.

67. Adidess says:

With the Rangers win, tomorrow’s game just becomes too big for my heart. When was the last time the Habs had homecourt in the Conference finals, against a team (NYR) that is not intimidating to us? At any point this year, did I dream of this scenario. Conversely, a loss tomorrow would be devastating. It will be a long day to get to game time.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Indeed. Habs have been given an incredible opportunity. Have to capitalize!!

• 24 Cups says:

I disagree. I would rather face the Pens even if it means opening on the road. Lindqvist is much more of a threat than Fleury.

24.4 Cups

• Adidess says:

I see playing at the Bell Centre as a major advantage right now, therefore I would rather have homecourt. That’s not to say it would be easy.

For example, I would be much more confident about our chances tomorrow if the game was in Montreal. We can still win (I believe we’ll win), but I think you’ll agree home ice is pretty important in a game like this.

• JF says:

I agree, Steve, except that Lundqvist has not played well at the Bell Centre in recent years (I think this dates to the great comeback game). Vigneault used their young backup, Cam Talbot, in both games in Montreal this season.

68. Mr_MacDougall says:

Apologies in advance for bringing up the Jays on this thread..

Just want to mention that the tides are turning, Casey Jansen is back. Not just back in the lineup, but back to his old form, “living in the black” or “on the edges.” It’s great to see a jays relief pitcher hitting his target like that. When a catcher sets up outside and doesn’t move his target a millimetre you get more calls on borderline pitches. In case some fans are unaware of this, next time you’re watching a pitcher look for where the ball is thrown in relation to the target as opposed to whether the pitch is a ball or a strike and you can determine if a pitcher is on. Also, look for where he’s missing, for instance, Mark Buerhle has been missing off the plate all season as opposed to missing in the middle of the plate, that’s the difference in getting outs and getting rocked.

Look for a jays surge with Casey back.
    ~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

69. munch17 says:

UCE: I read your post about Crosby.
    I was then listening to report about how he was frustrated while they showed a montage of the crap he has to put up with.
    It’s too bad the league allows the star talents to be neutralized by goon tactics. Reminds me of when Marchand gave Sedin three punches to the face and no penalty called. You knew series was over at that point.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

How could hockey be fun when you’re treated the way Sid is? He must have grown to loathe the game.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• johnnylarue® says:

Cherry always brings up the instigator rule following montages of Crosby being brutalized by his opponents.

It’s certainly the strongest case you could make for abolishing that rule. I mean, God forbid refs should ever have to suffer the indignity of ACTUALLY CALLING PENALTIES WHEN THEY HAPPEN.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Any time a player has his hands above his elbow it is roughing, that penalty is never called because players have to hit with their hands high because refs never call the recipient of a hit for having his hands high. The most infuriating thing in minor hockey for me was going in and throwing a clean hit and getting a face,full of gloves and elbows with no call.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• frontenac1 says:

Instigator Rule has done more harm for skilled players than anything else. The squeamish didn’t like justice being dispensed on the ice. They thought the hall monitors and Principal would take care of the Skilled Players. Worked great eh?

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Vigilante justice is what my town needs to get rid of the criminals and pill heads. Assault is the instigator rule.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• johnnylarue® says:

Aye, Front. The results do leave something to be desired…

• Un Canadien errant says:

front, the instigator rule might have been a detriment in the olden days, but now, with twenty-five cameras covering every inch of the ice surface, and no dirty deed evading detection, there is no longer any need for enforcers to police the game. All that has to happen is for the league to listen to CAPSLOCK DAN and FRIGGIN’ CALL THE PENALTIES AS THEY OCCUR, AND ENACT PROPER SUPPLEMENTARY DISCIPLINE ON THE LUCICES AND THE COOKS WHEN APPROPRIATE.

For the good of the game and the safety of the players. Seeing Sidney getting bashed around and so unproductive makes me very worried about his health and his future. And it’s so unnecessary, this isn’t like Kris Letang’s stroke or Howie Morenz’s broken leg, it’s not unpredictable, inevitable. We should cherish Sidney, but Bettman has wasted his career, and Alex Ovechkin’s.

• Un Canadien errant says:

HNIC and TSN are complicit of this anti-hockey epidemic, with their montages lionizing the Brandon Dubinski ‘defensive plays’ against Sidney, every single one of which should have been at least a two-minute minor penalty.

70. Say Ash says:

Did they announce the refs for tomorrow?

Any doubt as to who won the Vigneault-Tortorella trade?

72. ClutchNGrab says:

For those who follow American politics, you’ve probably heard of Nate Silver. For those who haven’t Nate Silver is a man that reach stardom by predicting the victory of president Obama in 2012. Now, he didn’t really predicted it, he just looked at some surveys and wrote articles based on them.

Anyway, he now has a website and guess what? His latest article is on Games 7 in the NHL. The article is interesting, you will not learn anything new, but it is always good to have different people writing on our sport. His conclusion on the Montreal/Boston series:

[...]The Bruins and the Canadiens might also be something of a wash. The Bruins recorded 17 percent more hits than the Canadiens during the regular season — but the Canadiens had 20 percent more penalty minutes. And while the Bruins have the better power play, Montreal has the better penalty-kill.

Somebody would need to explain him the difference between regular season and playoff hockey, but as I said, a good read while waiting for game 7.

73. johnnylarue® says:

Here’s an interesting statistical analysis of the refs’ tendency to “put their whistle away” in Game 7s:

• ClutchNGrab says:

Now that’s funny.

• johnnylarue® says:

Literally half as many penalties called in Game 7s than in any other playoff game.

Once again, be on the lookout for one of BS’ton’s goons to bash Price over the head with a folding chair when the refs aren’t looking… or even when they ARE, for that matter. ;)