Bell Centre sells out for fans to watch Game 7 from Boston

The Canadiens’ sellout streak will continue at the Bell Centre even though Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series against the Bruins will be played in Boston Wednesday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The Canadiens decided to open up the Bell Centre for fans who wanted to watch Game 7 on the arena’s giant screens, selling tickets for $10 with a portion of the proceeds donated to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation. It was announced after 6 p.m. on Tuesday that the Bell Centre was sold out with more than 20,000 fans expected. There will also be a pregame Fan Jam outside the Bell Centre starting at 5:30 p.m., and fans inside the arena will be treated to the same pre-game show as when the Canadiens play at home. The Canadiens have a sellout streak of 406 consecutive games at the Bell Centre, dating back to Jan. 8, 2004.

The Canadiens held an optional practice Tuesday morning in Brossard before flying to Boston with Alex Galchenyuk skating with his teammates for the first time since suffering a lower-body injury on April 9 during a game in Chicago.

“He’s progressing really well,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters in Brossard about Galchenyuk. “(Obviously) he’s not going to play tomorrow.”

Goaltenders Carey Price and Peter Budaj also took part in the optional practice along with Ryan White, George Parros, Michael Bournival, Travis Moen, Douglas Murray, Nathan Beaulieu, Jarred Tinordi and Francis Bouillon. Assistant coach Gerard Gallant ran the practice.

When asked about getting ready for a Game 7, Therrien said: “It’s all about preparation … it’s all about attitude. Tomorrow won’t be any different for us than yesterday.”

Therrien said his team played “a helluva game” in Game 6, beating the Bruins 4-0 to force Game 7.

“The only thing that we got to do now is reset the focus and make sure we get another good game tomorrow,” the coach added.

Therrien was asked about his team turning the other cheek at the end of Game 6 when the Bruins started getting physical with Zdeno Chara taking slashing and roughing penalties against Mike Weaver and Jarome Iginla taking a roughing and misconduct penalty against Brian Gionta. Weaver also received a slashing and misconduct penalty.

“This is playoff hockey, you know,” Therrien said. “It’s going to be physical at times. We’re ready to compete.”

The coach added: “I don’t like to talk about the other team. I’m focusing on my players, on my team. Yesterday it was a huge challenge for us. We got the right attitude and we responded the right way. Tomorrow is another huge challenge and we need to have the right attitude again.”

Canadiens captain Gionta said his team has felt confident all series against the Bruins.

“We know we can bring it to them when there’s no tomorrow,” Gionta said. “There’s nothing to be afraid of.

“(Game 7s are) fun, you have to go out there and enjoy the moment,” he added. “Every kid dreams of it. They’re special to be a part of. It’s win or go home. If you’re a competitive person, and you’re not in this profession if you aren’t, then that’s what you look for.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

The stage is set for Game 7, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Hockey is the real winner in Habs vs. Bruins series, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Habs need to stick to their game, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

‘Black Ace’ Beaulieu gets the call for Habs, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Therrien impressed with Beaulieu’s playoff debut, montrealgazette.com

Share your Habs rituals, montrealgazette.com

Bruins, Habs set for ninth Game 7 in storied rivalry, NHL.com

Price shutout sends Habs to Game 7, by Pat Hickey

Price leads a Habs team possessed, by Dave Stubbs

‘That’s the best I’ve seen this team play – ever,’ Pacioretty says, by Pat Hickey

Game 6 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Born for this, Canadiens.com

Subban eager for Game 7, NHL.com

Subban the NHL’s modern-day Ric Flair, The Hockey News

Beaulieu solid in playoff debut, NHL.com

Bruins quickly shifting focus to Game 7, NHL.com

Heart of a lion, canadiens.com

‘Go home and get the job done,’ Bruins Bergeron says, bostonbruins.com

Game 7 the only way to end Bruins-Canadiens, Boston Globe

Bruins squirt with disaster by allowing Habs to force Game 7, Boston Herald

Bruins could use Tyler Seguin right now, The Hockey News

Former Hab Muller joins Blues as assistant coach, NHL.com

1. piter says:

I think the key to tonight is our 3rd pairing defencemen, Weaver and Beaulieu. Boston will be matching their 1st line against them as much as they can, as they have last change. As long as they play as well as they have, we’ll be alright. Obviously, our Habs getting the first goal is important, as both teams have a perfect record when scoring first in the playoffs. We’ll have to survive the first 5 or so minutes, the first wave, of Boston’s hometown momentum. Then counter-attack with a strong fore-check. I feel really good about tonight’s game, for what it’s worth. Vanek will score, as well as a blast from PK will go in. Go Habs Go!!!!!

2. Danno says:

Jack Todd: “We’re picking the Canadiens in a game that will be closer than an elevator at a garlic convention.”

Somebody help me because I don’t get it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. The Gumper says:

A little off topic here folks but, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to upload an avatar to this site. I am reasonably adept with computers but I am obviously missing something. Any help?

4. Mr_MacDougall says:

Just heard the refs tonight “have a reputation for calling penalties”

Advantage Habs.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

5. BJ says:

New thread….come on over.

6. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I wonder if Claude likes bear claws ?

7. Ton says:

Anyone know what boston radio station Tony Marinaro will be on……taking calls from Bruins fans…..should be a laugh!

8. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

First dogs, then cats and then cows.
    Cowards.

9. Old Bald Bird says:

Habs at the shrine. Pic on Twitter. Good stuff.

So Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe thinks Boston will win…..

Good, stay cocky Dan, will make a Habs win even sweeter.

11. Great read on a broad cross-section of Habs prospects. I still think we are a little weak up front in scoring, but overall, a pretty good pipeline with some size for sure. The future is bright!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

Some more helpful tips for the day.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Sunny and 15 here, no work for me.. The benefits of working 135/145 days in Oct through February…

I should say no work that I’m paid for… Removing a stump on the front lawn with a pick axe, crow bar, reciprocating saw, shovel, and rake… Building two 5′ X 20′ raised garden beds.. Removing the mulch from my flower beds to put landscape fabric underneath the mulch (something I should have done last year before mulching) and if I’m luck, get dad over with the chain saw to limb the tree in the front yard.
      ~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Grin and bear it.

• Cal says:

Right now would be a perfect time to take a ZZZquil. Wake up just in time for the game. Not that I am advocating drug use, but what the hell. It’s rampant anyway and it’s game 7.

13. Mr_MacDougall says:

I don’t know if you guys are Bob McCowan fans or not.. But lat night he was calling John Shannon and Kelly Hrudey idiots for dismissing the Habs, who he says have the best goaltender on the planet and the most exciting player (PK). They talked about Habs getting lucky bounces and Bobcat said it wasn’t a lucky bounce on the OT winner in the game the Habs dominated? It wasn’t a series of lucky bounces in game 2? I think the Habs should be up 5 games to 1 in this series.

How is it that Bobcat is the only member of Toronto media (besides Doug Maclean) that thinks the Habs are a good team? He said his wife is a huge Habs fan, so maybe he actually watches us play?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• habs-fan-84 says:

Bobcat is the man, listen to him every night on the drive home.

Yah Bobcat when he wants to can still be the best sports radio host in the country. Wished I had heard that segment, unfortunately usually when I realize Shannon is on the program I have to turn it off as he is just too annoying.

Best part about Bobcat is he loves to antagonize Leaf fans as well.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Bobcat thinks the Leaf players just aren’t good enough. He says “do you think Carlyle forgot how to coach?”

He also said if you gave him the Marlies and 5 players of his choice from the Leafs (in exchange for any 5 Marlies) and his team would destroy the other one.. Essentially, he thinks there depth is garbage.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

14. Furk says:

Oh am I nervous today. In 2011, I was confident the Habs will win the series, but this year I am very anxious and nervous. I think it may be the fact that there’s more at stake and the expectations are somewhat higher. Although, I feel this year’s team is significantly better than the roster we had in 2011 for the following reasons:

D – We didn’t have Gorges and Markov that year in the playoffs. We also didn’t have a DMan like Emelin. Our bottom pair was a combination of Sopel/Mara/Spacek. We had a slower Hamrlik. Our top pair was Subban and Gill (no offence to Gill). But this year we have a mature Subban who has blossomed in the playoffs. Markov has been quiet thus far, but I take that as good news. He’s played sound defense, and along with Emelin has done an excellent job of shutting down the Bruins top players. Although enough credit hasn’t been given to Weaver, he has definitely displayed a lot of heart with his play.

G – In goal we have a way more confident and mature Carey Price. He has zoned in to every game in the playoffs (prime example is lack of response to nonsense from Marchand, or a cross check from a Bruin in Game 3). He also has the experience of the Olympics with a gold medal, and the opportunity to play with the Country’s best. We definitely have the edge in goal.

F – We have Patches this year, and way more depth compared to 2011. We don’t have the production provided by Cammalleri, but Gallaghar has taken that spot and has way more heart to win battles down low. We have a better 3rd and 4th line compared to 2011, where we had a guy like Weber playing the 4th line. We don’t have a floater like Gomez this year either. We have more heart this year in guys like Prust and Weise. We have a sniper like Vanek, and a playoff performer (which can be clutch) like Briere. All of this makes us the better team.

Finally, the Bruins have done an excellent job of replacing some of the players who left from 2011 i.e. Horton, Ryder, Peverley etc. I think it comes down to their D being weaker than 2011. They have a Chara who is older, they’re missing key veterans like McQuiad, Ference and Seidenberg. Although Rask is a better goalie than Thomas, he doesn’t seem to play his best against Montreal, but he also doesn’t have the ability to make a ridiculous unorthodox save that can swing the momentum.

All the reasons above give us the edge. GHG!!

Sorry for the long post!

• JuventusHab says:

I thought you were doing these in alphabetical order.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Rask is no where near as good of a goaltender as Thomas. Tim Thomas had one of the greatest playoff performances in sports history in the 2011 playoffs. Rask is gaff prone.. Hope to see some tonight.

I like all of your other assessments, sorry for picking,out one I disagree with! No apologies for the long post needed, it’s nice to read a well thought out overview!

In 2011 I was in Ft McMurray, now I am in beautiful PEI.. That has to count for something as well.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

15. Ferg says:

Today is Gump Worsley’s birthday.
    The Gods shall surely smile on us.

16. JUST ME says:

Habs should go ALL IN as they did in game 6. Everytime they did this, they won. Carey will be there to protect our net, P.K. will lead the d-squad forward and everyone will give everything they can because it`s the ultimate challenge. We have dozens of reasons to think that we will win. We have what it takes.
    I do not care about all these clowns off and on the ice from the opponents side cause to win this game the Habs have to impose their game. Period.
    And as a bonus we will get to show the Leafs how it should be done in a game 7 !!!

Biggest game in decades . Can`t wait !

17. Ton says:

To my fellow hab fans……….enjoy the game…….(easier said and done for it will be a nervous time). Lets hope, lets pray! We need to survive the first period………find our legs for it will be a tough start……………..if we do these things> we will win.

18. habsfan0 says:

PK will shine tonight.

19. BleedsTri-colour says:

Is anybody else a little miffed about Don Cherry’s “don’t poke the bear” comment? Why is it that Boston can hack, slash, splash, punch and wack the Habs, but we better be careful not to bother the Broons. Shows a lack of respect for the Canadiens! I say, don’t just poke the bear > let’s finish it off and mount it on our wall.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Leave him be… If the only positive he can find for the Bruins after an entire game is that Chara and th’idiots might need a tripping penalty to get them fired up… Well, he just pointed out what a sorry bunch they are.

How awesome is Markov for spearing Chara in the nuts after Chara slashed him.. With Markov, the crankier the better… I hope someone pissed in his breakfast and his dog chewed his favourite tie!

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• veryhabby says:

Bleeds- don’t worry about it cause the lack of respect that the Bruins players, and media in general, have given to the habs is really the force that is motivating them. It’s all good. Ride that again this game and we will see our boys play well.

Just a small tad of doubt I have, cause they may have played their heart out in game 6…but we haven’t seen them do so for a few games in a row too often.

20. Luke says:

Is it safe to assume Beaulieu is playing?

I have not seen nor heard much discussion about it, surprisingly.

21. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

We’ve poked, prodded and beaten the bear.
    The merciful thing to do is to put the bear down.
    Go Habs GO!!!

• Luke says:

Skin your bear so that you are left with a headless and
      paw-less carcass covered in layers of white fat. Lay the
      bear carcass out on your large table or suspend the bear
      from its hind legs about 3 feet from the ground using
      your chain, hook and upright.
      • Cut off the layers of fat with your hunting knife. Bears
      have two types of fat: The outer layer is jelly-like while
      the layer closer to the muscle is firmer, like beef tallow.
      Use carefully executed cuts to shave off the fat in
      chunks, getting as close to the red bear meat as possible.
      Discard the fat or reserve the pieces to render into bear
      lard or grease.
      • Remove the fillets. To do this, saw the sternum down
      the middle then split the rib cage into two halves. The
      tenderloins or fillets are the muscles that run along the
      spine from the bottom of the rib cage to just before the
      hind legs. Reserve these if you want bear steaks or
      simply cube into roughly 2 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch pieces like
      you will be doing to the rest of the bear meat.

(http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf)

22. Donkey Hoat says:

I saw my first game as a 10-year-old, at the Forum in 1979, Habs vs Rangers in the SCF (don’t remember which game, or much about it). We had nosebleeds, SRO tickets for $10 each, my Dad and I.
    Since then, every time the Cup is hoisted, no matter what team won it, I get a little choked up; whenever the players shake hands after the series’ end, I also get a little choked up. Yes, it’s hard-fought and at times even bitter, but there is always a little room for gentlemanly behaviour.
    The one time I didn’t get choked up about anything at all was when the Bruins won the Cup in 2011; all I felt was bile rising to my throat.
    Their thuggery, goonery and whining forced the Cup into their raptor-like claws. They crowed like jackals and hyenas.
    So in that spirit, let’s beat these jerks tonight; nothing would make me happier, for our team and for hockey.

• Right with ya Donkey. The Booins are so much like a school yard bully with a father that played the role of supporter for the sons bad habits, antics and mean spirit. Even now Julien has to admit that they are seen as the bad Bruins. The villains beyond owning it, they now are becoming ashamed of their reputation and reality with water bottles being squirted, nut cracking, face washing, clear after play punches and then their “blue collar” fans crow about how the snotty Montreal fans are so full of ourselves. F’em! I lived in Beantown for three years and their “blue collar” story is just that. The Blue collar people I know aren’t a bunch of slobs, classless jerks, mean spirited bullies and brain dead neanderthals. They are hard working, stick-up for each other, spirited people. All Boston blue collar people should shun the antics of this group of players from the coach on down. I just can’t believe Julien became just like Daddy Campbell’s good little doggy because when he so ached the Habs, he wasn’t a saliva dribbling fool that had videos made of his hypocrisy.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

• Ton says:

if the game you went to was a loss it was game one………if they won but the cup didn’t come out it was game 2…….if they won and there was a celebration on the ice that lifted Bob Gainey over the shoulders of Lafleur and Robinson than you saw game 5……….what a lucky guy if you were at game 5

• Donkey Hoat says:

Honestly, I don’t remember much about the game itself. I remember it was very smoky up there, lots of people milling about, not everybody was watching the game.
        I was a kid, so I had trouble looking over the metal railing down to the ice; we didn’t stay until the very end, and I’m pretty sure that I saw the Cup hoisted on TV, so it was either Game 1 or Game 2.
        But good memory on ya!

23. Say Ash says:

Does Boone have a bad feeling?

24. habsguru says:

refs for tonight?

25. L Elle says:

Premonition, Intuition, or wishful thinking:

Rask gets pulled, and several Bruins get tossed from the game for unsportsmanlike behaviour.

HIO is happy for one day, then we start worrying about the Rangers. ;)

26. habsfan0 says:

Apparently, Don Cherry will be wearing a black and gold thong tonight just to show how unbiased he is.

27. FlyAngler says:

A strong and relentless forecheck will be the key for the Habs tonight as the Bruins remain very vulnerable in their own end with their #3 – #6 Dmen on the ice as we saw on the first goal on Monday night.

The Bruins obviously want to have this game be about them keeping the puck in the attacking zone not only because they want to get pucks on net, but because they know they are vulnerable in their own end.

Hopefully, Les Boys will come out flying and be strong on that forecheck- guys like Prust and Bourque and Weise especially. If they do, I like our chances….. a lot!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

28. DipsyDoodler says:

If we lose I can see the Bruins sweeping the Rangers and being very rested for the finals.

Bah.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

29. sims says:

Imagine they could record the game from birdseye view and project onto the ice in real-time using the projectors and technology used in the pregame show? now that would be cool…

30. habsfan0 says:

I’m hoping the Habs aren’t looking past the Bruins to the Rangers.

31. Mad Habber says:

A look at forwards and size comparisons:
    C

Thomas Vanek 6’2 205
    Brian Gionta 5’7 174
    Brendan Gallagher 5’9 178
    Dale Weise 6’2 210

Boston: 24’5 808
    Montreal: 23’8 767

Other than on Right wing they are not towering over the Habs.

Thoughts of STRIKE are but a distant memory boys and girls!

A few thoughts of what this great game means to me, just a hockey fan.

This game played well, is what true hockey fans dream of every year. Watching their team and the game being played with such speed, finesse and discipline for a solid 60 min.
    This game brings Hab Fans together as brothers and sisters, sharing every twist and turn of each play on the ice, as if it was us out there fighting for every inch of ice.

This game has done more for brotherly love for millions of fans from many countries all over the planet.

This game gives our hearts and bodies healthy stress and exercise, it gives us comradery, pure joy and longevity in life. This game when played the correct way gives off tremendous positive vibes and energy for us the fans.
    Real hockey fan’s never stops breathing, living and dreaming this life extending game!
    I wish you all the best of thrills in watching tonight’s Hab’s win!! And then onto The Big Apple, New York!! —IAN

33. JF says:

The Minnesota-Chicago games shows why we can’t let this go to OT tonight. The Wild absolutely dominated that game, Crawford kept the Hawks in it, then Kane got the bounce. We’ve had some bounces in this series, but the Bruins have had the ones that won games. Game two – Bergeron’s tying goal came off a weird bounce; Game four – Price pitched a shutout, but the B’s got the bounce. I could see it happening again tonight.

We have to come up with the same kind of effort as on Monday, take control of the game early, skate the Bruins into the ice, hit them into the boards, not let up for a moment.

• krob1000 says:

That looked like 1980′s hockey…so many breakways…Sharp got stonewalled on two and while MOnny controlled the play chicago had a lot of great scoring hcances…seemed like Minny would contrl the play for a whil;e and then BAM…great Chicago scoring chance, then Minny dominate play adn Wham,etc,etc.. I was shocked at the lack of structure in that game ….fora gmae 6 in the 2nd round it was a strange game in this day and age….the score doesn’t show it but there were several sequences that looked like pond hockey…. super exciting but I couldn;t believe what I was seeing.

• BJ says:

Focus on us doing that.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Kane got the bounce but he made a superb deke to score that goal. Bryz had the puck covered.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

34. Commandant says:

Re post from early this morning cause I spent some time on this.
    An Ode to Game 7

Forever foes, a battle 90 years in the making;
    Unrelenting rivals ready to do it one more time.
    Canadiens and Boston as it was meant to be.
    Keeping the memory of legends past, and creating new ones.

Let them play, don’t call penalties will be the call of Don Cherry
    Evoking memories of too many men on the ice at the Fabled Forum
    Skating down the wing, Lafleur unleashes his slapshot

Boston is the site of the big game.
    Rene Rancourt rallying his home team’s fans
    Undeterred our fearless warriors enter the den of the Bear
    Inspired by the ghosts of the Rocket, Plante, and Morenz
    No Tommorrow, a must win today.
    Subban wanting to take it all away,

35. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

So… it there any truth to the rumour that the ghost of Eddie Palchak buried a Habs centennial loonie at centre ice in Boston?

X X X X X X X X 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

36. Say Ash says:

Raphael Diaz! Can’t get rid of this guy!

37. Habitforming says:

@Dave_Stubbs: Lifetime game 7′s :
    Habs Price W-L 1-1 1.91 GAA, .932 save pct
    Bruins Rask W-L 1-1 3.87 GAA, .855 save pct

Let’s hope those two trends continue tonight.

7pm start and I’m already nervous sheesh

38. veryhabby says:

when I saw how sad Crosby and Parise were last night in the room after their games….I’m like, “Man I just don’t want that to be MTL tonight. Bos is the top team of the league, and the way MTL battled them they deserve to win this. Keep thinking about that game 2! Darn, the series should be over for us already winning it!!!!!

39. fire2nv says:

this might be classless of me but i could care less here is what i want for game 7 tonight

i would love a habs win with subban scoring the game winner and when he does i want pk subban to tug on his jersey, kiss the ch crest pound his chest like a gorilla ,heck flex his muscles , put his stick between his legs and ride it the length of the ice , jump into the glass i could care less the bigger the celebration the better hahahah i just want him to piss off don cherry and all the bruins fans saying “How do You Like Me Now “

40. Mr_MacDougall says:

I never claimed to be a genius, but why on earth would I rub my face and eyes after cutting chilli peppers and onions?

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

41. nunacanadien says:

As long as MB and MT don’t put midgets on the ice again ever again, buy out Brian Gionta already. We have been to the brink of the cup to taste it, and we are one midget too many to win, that is the truth. We need Gionta to step up or get bought out. This insistence on the team to keep passing the puck to the small guys only to have them cough up the puck time and again, is not right. Sure Gorges is a great defenseman but he coughs up the puck way too much, time for Gorges to take steps to stop that.

Time for the Russians to ante up, take the hits, win the cup, play like it is 1976 again. Win it for the spirit of Tretiak and Dryden.

And you Coors board, can’t you taste victory? Maybe it’s time we give Vanek another superstar to play with, buy out Gionta, get a Martin St Louis type player to finish the barn, and get tougher. Prust and Parros have shown the way, and Emelin can hit, but we need a scoring defenseman to add to Subban. If that is our solution to the cup, to have our defense win games, then chase bigger more talented defenseman at least. Enough skinny small.

42. frontenac1 says:

Hola Amigos! Game 7 against The Bruins. Why am I not nervous? Because Habs got The Mojo and Bruins don’t. I love it! Saludos!

Any chance you are also still feeling the affects of last nights single malt?

Morning Amigo! Big night my friend, enjoy the day!

• frontenac1 says:

Switched to Vodka for the Second Round amigo. Going to the dentist for some fun and then the Saloon for some pre game exercise. It’s Game 7 against the Bruins and I love it! Saludos!

• joeybarrie says:

I don’t know what to tell you….. Cause I am really, really nervous.
      We got the Mojo, but is it enough.
      BIG DAY…..
      I want to be drinking a celebratory glass tonight in the bar with my Habs jersey on. Not a consolation drink realizing the season is over…
      NERVOUS

43. habs001 says:

The odds are the Bruins will have way more scoring chances than the Habs today..They key will be scoring on the chances the Habs get…Habs need more youth and size on the D and in the forward position…My take from watching other playoff games is that the Habs get hemmed in their D zone way more in a game than most of the other playoff teams..and they dominate much less in the offensive zone also…

44. Say Ash says:

Went over to some Rangers sites. Everyone’s a Habs fan for a day.

• JuventusHab says:

I think a Habs – Blueshirts series would a guarantee for a high level hockey series. We’ll seek redemption for the 1996 fiasco.

• veryhabby says:

Was telling my kid that was probably going to be the case today lol! We are thinking….”wow one more win and we have the easy Rangers ahead of us, sure bet to get to cup finals”. And their fans are thinking, “we took care of Pits, PLS MTL win cause you will be easy to beat to get to the cup finals”.

Well at least they are in final four! But I hope we make their wish come true, and then it turns into a nightmare for them. LOL!

GO HABS GO!

45. sCOTT1243 says:

I feel like I’m playing in a game 7 tonight. Do or die boys.

Sending nothing but good vibes, trying to be positive, getting chirped by everyone today about how Boston will win, I respond with a kind, thank you very much for your thoughts. Good karma coming to this team tonight!

Good read from Paul Stewart (former player and official) on the bush league actions of Thornton. NHL indeed has allowed these types of moves to disrespect the game with zero consequence.

• Luke says:

The funny thing (and I haven’t read the article yet, but I will) is that so many people seem to dismiss it as just ‘squirting some water.’ And while that is what the method was, the actual infraction is much more serious.

The general silliness of a pair of water squirts aside, what happened is that Bruins players interfered with the play on the ice.
      It wasn’t after the whistle, it was while the play was in process. It was also at a fairly important part of the game.
      Had the Habs bench thrown their gloves at a Bruins puck carrier during the final five minutes of game #2, would it have been laughed off?

I’m a guessin’: Nuh-uh.

That’s what frosts my arse about this. They dismiss it because of the very surface optics. Boys being Boys & a harmless water squirt.
      But, for a league that allows players to punch each other in the face and spear each other with weapons, why should I be surprised?

(Now I’ll read the article)

Very good buddy of mine, (happens to be a die hard Leaf fan) was absolutely irate about the Thornton incident and how the league sloughed it off completely. Your point is bang on, what is the difference in what THornton did and sticking your stick out and spearing a player from the bench? Complete disrespect of the game, of course that Dunkin’ Donut coach in Boston can’t believe his team is considered the bad guys.

It is scary Luke, many of my Leaf fan buddies are pulling hard for the Habs tonight.

• krob1000 says:

I posted that the day after….what if he can’t see for a fraction of a second and gets blindsided …it is scary to think what could have happened…what if Lucic had him in his sights on one of his patented charges from across the ice and PK hesitates? To me it is like throwing water at the driver of a car….if it affects them at teh wrong time the results could be disastrous. I would have sluffed it off if it were between whistles…but during the play? unacceptable and should have been a suspension for the remainder of the series IMO.

• frontenac1 says:

Hey Burly. My Leaf Fan buddies at the Saloon are also pulling for the Habs! I think it’s more about them Hating the Bruins though. Saludos!

• Luke says:

Mine all hate Subban and keep telling me the Leafs are still better than the Habs and wouldn’t trade their roster one-for-one with ours.

To them, this is just a bizarre fluke that never should have happened.

Odd folks, these Leafs fans I know.

• Adidess says:

I could not agree more on Thornton.

• shiram says:

Great read.
      Those childish antics do lessen the game.

47. Luke says:

Another Rene Bourque 11 seconder would do wonders to calm my nerves. Especially if Briere and Eller could score shortly after.

I think a dominant playoff perfomance by a Bourque in Boston would be very appropriate and rather welcome.

48. montreal ace says:

Beating the Bruin scum bags in a game 7, is kinda like winning the Cup as far as I’m concerned. It would really be a toss up decision for me, as I would love beating the Bruins in their own building.

49. Adidess says:

Game time can’t come soon enough. In the meantime, let me tell you about some hockey hyperboles that get repeated constantly and really get on my nerves…

1. ‘Sydney Crosby is the best player in the world’ (not an hyperbolic statement, so wait for it). ‘It’s not even close’. Ok, I’m a Crosby fan too, but WTF do you mean it’s not even close?

2. ‘Boston is a stacked team. They have NOOOO weaknesses’. Really? I think they lack top-end skill, creativity, and finish.

3. Take your resident tough guy: ‘Shawn Thornton is such a prideful and gentlemanly player. He plays the game hard, but he plays clean and respects his opponent. And he’s very effective as a 4th liner’. First off, guys like Thornton have to be a shit-disturber and do many borderline dirty stuff to really be effective. Second, how much Thornton has to do and how often before he loses his ‘honourable’ label. Remember the attack on Orpik and the 15-game suspension? What was honourable about that? Forget Orpik is not a saint, this is about Thornton.

4. ‘The St Louis Blues are big, tough, and physical, they are built for the playoffs’. What did you say? You know who’s built for the playoffs? The Chicago Blackhawks! All they do recently is get to the playoffs every year and win the Cup, or be a major threat to win the Cup. And their formula is not ‘big, bad, tough’, it’s skills, speed, depth, and balance. You know who else is big? The Sharks! So stop with the big talk.

There is more. I don’t have enough time. Go Team CHanada go!

• habs001 says:

How about the defense mechanism used by posters stating that since Boston is the better team i am satisfied even if the Bruins win tonight…It has been a win for the Habs for taking them to 7 games….The 1979 Habs were a better team than Boston by far but whether you were around for that series or not no one is giving credit for Boston that they took that series to game 7 o/t..they get ridiculed for it…..A loss todat will not be any different no matter how posters will try to sugar coat it…

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I agree with everything, except the Sharks.. They have been missing a goaltender for a decade.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• habs-fan-84 says:

This statement grinds my gears more than any other. It has inferiority complex written all over it.

• Chris says:

I’m guilty of #1, but it is mainly because I think the gulf between Crosby and the next group of players (Toews, Kane, Getzlaf, Hossa, Weber, Malkin, Lundqvist, Ovechkin, and Stamkos) is just immense.

There is a strange need in hockey to put all success or all failure on one player. It is as silly as it is incorrect. Jonathan Toews is not a 2-time Stanley Cup winner because of his great leaderships skills. He is a 2-time Stanley Cup winner because he has perhaps the best supporting cast in the salary cap era (Patrick Kane, Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, and Duncan Keith would ALL be the best player on the majority of NHL teams) and has benefit from heroic playoff performances by the role players behind him (offensive gems by Bryan Bickell and Dustin Byfuglien, defensive gems by Bryan Bolland, Johnny Oduya and Nicklas Hjalmarsson).

Toews has been very good in the playoffs, no question. I don’t want to take anything away from him as a player, although many will interpret this as an attack on Toews instead of a compliment on the Blackhawks, as it is intended.

But individual players simply cannot do it alone. Carey Price had to wait years to win a playoff round, despite playing well. Henrik Lundqvist has been the best goaltender in the league post-lockout, but has never been to the Stanley Cup finals. Alex Ovechkin was the king of the world in the eyes of many earlier in his career, but his GM’s inability to build a decent supporting cast is now Ovechkin’s failure to “lead”.

The Sedins are bashed because they couldn’t win in the playoffs, as are Thornton and Marleau. Jarome Iginla rode Kiprusoff’s hot goaltending to the finals once in his career, bu the rest of his career has been one giant playoff disappointment.

I think the average hockey fan puts way too much importance on captains and “leadership”. A captain can’t put a team on his back and carry the team to victory. The only player whose heroics can actually do that are the goaltenders, and at best they can carry their team to a tie game.

TEAMS win hockey games, and teams win championships. The celebrity culture of sports would tell you otherwise, but it is simply wrong. Peyton Manning should never be diminished by the fact that he only won one Super Bowl, just as Dan Marino should not be diminished by the fact that he never won one. Manning is head and shoulders above the field as an NFL quarterback…nobody can touch him.

In basketball, you can have great players (like Lebron James in Cleveland, or Allen Iverson in Philadephia, or John Stockton in Utah) that are just unfortunately not on the right team. Nobody in the NBA could even hold John Stockton’s sweaty jersey after a game when it came to running an offence, but his teams always came up short (sometimes just short).

From my point of view, the whole championship tally thing is just trite. It is lazy thinking to use that to characterize a player.

Ray Bourque did not magically become a truly great all-time defenceman when he finally won a Stanley Cup in his 22nd NHL season. Anybody that thought he needed that Stanley Cup to validate his greatness simply doesn’t know anything about team sports.

Crosby is simply miles ahead of his peers when it comes to the offensive side of hockey. Playing with good, but not great, linemates, Crosby has consistently generated offence at a peerless level. His defensive game is very underrated, and despite his apparent lack of leadership skills, his teams are always a threat in the playoffs.

Crosby is an easy target right now because his Penguins have crashed out of the playoffs against a tough New York Rangers team that stifled them defensively. Every superstar has years like this. After winning the Stanley Cup in 2010, Toews’ Blackhawks almost missed the playoffs and crashed out in the first round in two straight years as they rebuilt their depth.

Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty’s Kings have had nice runs in the playoffs, but they are a game away from exiting in the second round, just like Crosby’s Penguins.

Getzlaf and Perry’s Ducks exited in the second round once, the first round three times, and missed the playoffs altogether twice in the six seasons since they won the Stanley Cup. They finally have a chance to break their run of futility this year, but they have to get by a tough Kings team to do it.

I get the feeling that Rangers are being heavily discounted as a playoff team in the rush to knock Crosby’s leadership. This Rangers team is much better than people give them credit for, using the Kings’ recipe of exceptional goaltending and a big, mobile defence corps combined with timely scoring to sneak by a pair of dangerous teams in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Henrik Lundqvist’s last 3 seasons in the playoffs? 46 GP, 23-23-0, 5 SO, 1.96 GAA, 0.932 SV%

If you want to beat the Rangers, you better be ready to win games 2-1 and 3-2, because they give you absolutely nothing to work with. They can be boring as sin to watch, but they have mastered the stifling defensive hockey that the New Jersey Devils used to beat far more talented teams from 1995-2005.

• Adidess says:

Chris, what a thoughtful, substantive reply! I like it.

Yes, it is easy to dump on Crosby now, but that really wasn’t what I meant to do. I don’t disagree that Crosby has shown over the course of his career so far, through his immesurable skill, vision and personal accomplishments that he is probably the best player in hockey. I am a fan!

But how do you measure ‘it’s not even close’? And how long will we continue to say it? Is anybody getting closer or it will not be close until Crosby retires? I have seen Crosby play at the Olympics twice now, alongside other top talents in the league. I don’t see ‘it’s not even close’.

I just think ‘it’s not even close’ is a big hyperbole to quickly end conversations about who else might be in the running for best player. I’m surprised a highly knowledgeable, major BS-detector like you, also says it (I’m saying this in all seriousness; have a lot of respect for you and your knowledge of hockey). It’s unnecessary, I find, and I don’t even know what it means.

• Chris says:

For me, it means that he is a transcendant player. Crosby gets knocked for low production when he averages a point-per-game. The crazy thing is that there might be 10-15 guys in the league that are even capable of putting up a point-per-game…that is the standard that he is held at. He’s slumping when he performs at the level of a top-10 player in the world.

I’m perfectly willing to concede that Crosby doesn’t have to be the best. Steven Stamkos (whose two-way game has improved dramatically), Claude Giroux, Anze Kopitar, Jonathan Toews, Shea Weber, P.K. Subban, Henrik Lundqvist, Carey Price, Evgeni Malkin, Henrik Zetterberg, Ryan Getzlaf, and Alexander Ovechkin (yes, even him!) are all in a group that, should they dramatically up their offensive game and maintain their excellence in other areas, can challenge Crosby’s throne.

But this year…nobody was close. Kopitar was probably #2 for me this year, with Giroux being #3. Toews’ lower point total with an offensive powerhouse gets held against him, but he and Weber (take your pick) probably rounded out my top 5.

Whoever the new coach in Pittsburgh is (I’ll be shocked if Bylsma is kept on), they should probably strongly consider using Crosby as a penalty killer. That is the last jewel he needs in his crown, and I think he would be as exceptional at that as he is in every other aspect of the game, and it would go a long way towards quieting all the criticism he takes.

For the record, I also think they are going to look to swing a block-buster involving Malkin. And if Montreal can’t get through past the Bruins, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Bergevin at least inquiring. The Penguins need depth, Malking wants his own team, and Montreal wants an offensive superstar.

50. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Habs have to go after the young D-men of the Bruins…hopefully they will crack under the pressure. Have a feeling there will be a controversial goal as the bruins will crash the net tonight hoping not to get callled…we’ll see.

51. BJ says:

Game day preparation for us the 7th player. Three deep breaths, focus on the breath going in and out, slowly and with attention. And then feel whats it like to win this seventh game (there are no maybe’s here, just the sense of accomplishment). Every HIO supporter can contribute towards tonights win this way.

Edit: If doubt creeps in today, repeat the procedure.

• Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Last night I had the most vivid dream of the Habs playing the Rangers. And I didn’t find out that they beat the Pens until this morning.

There was also this little flash forward of a short guy wearing bleu, blanc et rouge and a #21 lifting something big and silver and shiny over his head. That part of the dream wasn’t clear enough to make out what it was.

X X X X X X X X 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

52. JuventusHab says:

Just found out that the Habs have the highest win % in the regular season since 1979-1981 during Therrien’s second stint as head coach. When we look at his playoffs stats he has the best record since Jacques Demers.

53. ooder says:

i am not emotionally ready for a repeat of 2011.
    We got to win this one for all that is good in the world.

• krob1000 says:

When they lost in 2011…I had an uneasy feeling all series about Horton….every time the commentators mentioned him I worried. This series oddly enough every time I hear Johnny Boychuk I cringe. If he winds up from the point I really hope it gets blocked and I know he hardly ever scores but for some reason just hearing his name makes me nervous and feel like something bad is about to happen.

54. krob1000 says:

So we are now guarnateed 3 of 4 final teams are original six and one will be from California. Not bad for NHL and NBC..not bad at all.
    Rangers are a team that scares me a lot…they were very structured last night, the Hawks were freewheeling…that was a crazy game with Minny…hard to believe it only ended up 2-1…it was like shinny on fast forward at times.

Lundqvist for my money is still the best big game goalie in the world until someone dethrones him…Carey r u listening? The vet group with St Louis, Richards and NAsh along with a an exremely versatile back end and Lundqvist is a lineup made for playoff hoceky. They even have the character guys like Boyle and great unheralded guys like Brassard. Rangers are a scary team…they play the game the right way…like Montreal and Boston. They have all rallieda round St Louis…who even before his loss already had a chip on his shoulder this eason re Team Canada.

I watch LA and Anaheim and think of it as smashmouth hockey and it is more will than strategy, they both physically will themselves and play a simple get pucks deep and then try to power along the walls to the net game. They have skill…tons of it but for the most part that is how they wish to play.
    I think the cup winner comes from the East…three most structured teams IMO are in the East.

55. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll take a patch opening goal of the game, in which when he scores the boys are 27W and 2 L and a lead going into the third period where they’ve only lost 1 time this year in about 35 games. (mind you the one loss came in game 2 of this series). Then a danny B goal to ice it with Price staying in his zone and taking it home. Montreal would have home ice to start vs the rangers. And I’ve been checking out the NESN site just to see how bad they are over there with their ridiculous headlines and portrayal of the habs. Absolutely crap! NESN, edwards, see bass, lucheese, 4 min man thornton, the puke marchand, lurch, michelin man julien etc etc etc all the way down to the NESN reporters. WOW, is all I’ve got to say!

Shaker out!

56. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m still at home and I don’t want to go to work…LOL.

• krob1000 says:

Go…it’ll pass the time. Unless you are trying to trim some winter weight then you can pace up and down your hallway all day, drink lots of water and still call it a productive day…if not…go to work.