Habs facing elimination in Game 6

The Canadiens held what could be their final morning skate of the season before facing elimination against the Boston Bruins in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference semifinal series Monday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Bruins lead the best-of-seven series 3-2.

The morning skate in Brossard was an optional, but the only player who didn’t take part was goaltender Carey Price. Head coach Michel Therrien also wasn’t on the ice.

“There’s nothing we can do about the past,” Therrien told reporters after the morning skate, which lasted less than 30 minutes. “We need to have the right attitude. I like the attitude of our group right now.

“I see tonight’s game as a very interesting challenge,” the coach added.

Therrien wouldn’t say if there would be any lineup changes for Game 6.

If the Canadiens win Monday night, Game 7 will be Wednesday night in Boston.

(Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

Game 6 Preview, NHL.com

Game Notes

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Five Keys to Game 6, Canadiens.com

Morning skate interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Habs remain confident while facing elimination, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Watergate II takes on life of its own, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

‘I know that we can be better,’ Subban says, by Dave Stubbs

Habs-Bruins rivalry will only get worse, by Jack Todd for The Gazette

Challenge accepted by Habs, Canadiens.com

Habs need big guns to step up, Sportsnet.ca

Bruins bracing for desperate Canadiens in Game 6, NHL.com

Bruins feel better about power play, NHL.com

Simple solution for Canadiens: ‘Put it in the net’, NHL.com

Close-out time for Bruins, bostonbruins.com

On to Game 6 for Bruins (video), bostonbruins.com

It won’t be easy for Bruins to douse Canadiens’ fire, Boston Globe

Bruins repeat of Game 5 effort will finish Habs, Boston Herald

1. piter says:

If anybody needs a reason for a big win tonight….
    Go Habs Go
    Habs in 7

2. eat44 says:

I have two tickets, Reds, row W, section 101 (exact centre ice), seats 13-14 and can’t make the game. Will sell for face value at $660 for the pair. Contact me if you would like them. Can pay via Paypal. No profits, just trying to use tickets.

3. The Jackal says:

Habs in 7

4. Storman says:

This just happened sorry but this is too funny,,My budddy from Wisconsin just called me to talk hockey, I told him i could not hear him very well, as i am drinking patron in the sunshine on a pretty girl filled terrace, and i hung up on the call. He then texted me why and i drinking Patron off a pretty girls filled torn a.s.

5. Luke says:

Seems like lots of folks are cranky today.
    C’mon people, cheer up!
    Positive vibes and all that.

If we could see the results of the early polls and read the postings of many of the HIO insiders, I think that very few would have predicted a season that went this well, and still has the chance to get better.

Chin up! Stiff Upper lip and all that rot.
    Go Habs. One job tonight and that is to force game 7!

I don’t care how ugly it is. I don’t care if the right lines score or they don’t. Let’s just win this thing. I don’t care if it is 90 save shutout with the game winner scored off a triple bad bounce double deflection. Just win it.

6. Danno says:

Could this be the biggest measuring-stick game of them all?

GO HABS!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

7. shiram says:

Pleky can’t play worse than he did last game, so that’s good.

8. keithmacv says:

Veryhabby…you can stream the radio feed on tsn’s website. Or if you want to actually watch you can download the cbc hockey app and pay 3.00 to watch the game.

9. UKRAINIANhab says:

DD can’t keep playing from his ass. If I’m the gm I move DD in the summer. Frustrating. Just my opinion.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I´d definitely do it. At center we´d be better off with Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk and Bournival.

• Habfan17 says:

Yes!! I agree, having those 4 as the centres would be better!

Habfan17

• habs001 says:

Plecks is the only centre from this group that has shown that he can produce in the NHL as a centre over 82 games and his production will be going down going forward…Eller and Bournival are not offensive point producers and Galchenyuk has to show he can produce as a centre in the NHL…

10. HankHardball says:

Bruins should be wary of Carey playing scary.
    Bruins need to worry about Habs in a hurry.
    Bruins in a fix if Habs win game 6.
    Bruins to the slaughter cause of PK and the water.

11. Strummer says:

Jaro Spacek is an assistant coach with the Czechs.

MINSK, BELARUS—After being traded away from the Canadiens during their disastrous 2011-12 season, Jaroslav Spacek called the situation in Montreal a “big mess” and said he was “pretty happy to be gone from there, from all the circus.”

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

12. punkster says:

I hate to break it to you, I hate to be that guy, as much as it pains me to say this, I’m not holding my breath, but I’m afraid the Habs are done.

Done…with the br00nz cheap shots, with the br00nz stick work, with the br00nz diving, with the br00nz childish taunts, and with all the br00nz puerile behaviour.

Tonight marks the emergance of a new power in the east and the end of the br00nz reign of buffoonery.

F*** the br00nz.

Release the Subbang!!!

13. howiemorenz7 says:

I wish I was optimistic about tonight, but can’t say I am, we *all* know B’s are a better hockey team, and that it would take a CP/PK/67/20 miracle to pull it off, and two of those pieces are MIA. Obv I hope I’m wrong, but if I’m not, this season has to go down as a success, so many of my fellow TO dwellers including media had the Habs missing the playoffs.

For next year, I would a) not sign Vanek, he’s shown us what he’s made of in the playoffs, and it ain’t much b) not resign Markov unless he gives us a huge hometown discount and a one-year contract c) trade Patch while his value is high. Younger, bigger, stronger everywhere we can.

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

• Timo says:

Can’t expect to win when half of your team just doesn’t show up.

• GrosBill says:

Trade Max?

At a 4.5 million dollar cap hit, I have a hard time seeing his value come back.

Sure, it has not been a great series for him. He is still young though. Remember when everyone harped on Redwings Zett and Datsyuk for being soft, non factors in the playoffs? We have a 30+ goal scoring winger for 4.5 and we should trade him while his value is high? How about getting him a real first line centre (no offence to DD, he is good, but not number one go deep in playoffs centre good)?

I am not suggesting he is untradeable, but that better be one sweet deal coming back. If I am GM, I listen to all offers, but Max is certainly one I would like to keep.

Ovechkin just made Tea Bag Timmy look like a pee-wee goalie on a penalty shot.

15. Cal says:

1-1 after 1 period Canada vs. Czech

On the plus side if Habs lose tonight wee Davey can join team Canada and center their first line.

These play-off are exposing Desharnais’ limitations as a top line centre. Last game Plekanec was patently awful. If that is your top two centres forget about a Stanley Cup. Habs’re still a few years away folks.

Tonight is make or break time for Desharnais. I sense break. Prove me wrong. Prove me wrong.

That being said I’d rather have seen Tinordi and Beaulieu playing than Weaver, Bouillon and Murray. But then again, more fodder for the still some building to do before the team is a bonafide contender.

I look forward to the day when the Habs top two centres are Galchenyuk and Eller.

• CJ says:

It might not be a popular opinion, but I agree completely. I would add Vanek, Gionta and Markov to the equation. They want contracts or extensions in Montreal (maybe not so much in Vanek’s case) than show me something.

Thus far the guys showing me the most are PK, Eller, Weise and Bournival. I wish White got the chance because I’m certain he’d break his leg trying to score, defend or do whatever it takes to win.

• Timo says:

I don’t know why people are so high on White. He usually has one great game after sitting for a bunch, and then fades back into a non-impact player. I like him for making Boychuk’s face a bloody mess, but he really doesn’t bring much on a consistent basis. However, given that he can have ONE good game, perhaps Habs could put him in game 6.

• krob1000 says:

Bournival has been lsot in this series….one of his staples since arriving has been his decsion making..that has alaays eeen strong. For the first time in the palyoffs he has been playing nervous and has been consistently making poor decisions witht he puck. It has hurt the HAbs as he has been in top 9 role. Put him back with Briere and Weise and he is fine. Not sure how anyone can knock PLkes really…he is playing with a 22 year old and a rookie and still expected to match against top lines.

• Storman says:

I think it is White’s tendancy to take the dumbass penalties that has kept him out of playoff action or gaining the trust of the coaching staff. He just has those discipline brain farts, other than that he is a great 4rth line 200 foot energy minute eater..

• Cal says:

Me, too, but I’m just enjoying this bonus playoff run. Still looks likes lots to do for the GM to get the Habs to the next level.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Plekanec was patently awful…that’s a little harsh IMO. The guy has been a stud at shutting down opposing teams top lines forever. I agree, he had a bad game, but making it seem like he constantly sucks is taking it a little far.

As for Desharnais, make or break tonight? I really hope your kidding, because that broke quite a few games ago.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
      Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• habcertain says:

very hard to win a cup when your #1 center is a bit of a wee man….playoffs expose that weakness. he is just too small to muscle anyone of the puck.

This one is in the bag folks.!

And speaking of bags! how is it that Thornton gets a fine for squirting water, from the NHL? and Lucy keeps spearing bags and cracking nuts.? without even a mention.?

• Storman says:

There is absolutely no bush league reason to be squirting players with water especially during live action,,Quite simply institute an automatic 2 game suspension for anyone getting involved in impeding live game action from the bench, ie. Thorton bush league squirt, and Ryan Clowe playing a puck from the bench..This is the NHL not firemen playing police alumni game.

19. FlyAngler says:

In the last 2 games, the Habs have zero even strength goals. In the last 3 games they have 3- all occurring in game 3 with two taking place on breakaways- in effect 1 on 0.
    To say that this series has become a 5 on 5 mismatch would be the understatement of the century. M T needs to make significant adjustments if the Habs are going to have a chance. DD has played his heart out, but MacLean is right, he is overmatched. The idea that he is going to morph into a player that can beat Bergeron or Krejci is delusional as he was not able to do it in the regular season.
    If the Habs are to have a chance, M T needs to think outside of the box and give Eller a shot with either Max and Vanek or Bourque and Vanek. I hope that M T has the courage to take some prudent risks in order to generate some production. Beaulieu in the lineup is good news in that regard IMO. If the Habs play another game like game 4, we are likely done. I hope that they don’t!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

Joel Ward continues to just put pucks in the net. Great goal. Canada finally got some skating going.

21. Say Ash says:

Putin scored six goals with five assists on Saturday. Why isn’t he signed?

22. Louisville says:

Anybody catch the cross check by Crosby after the game ended last night? Crosby would have been a natural Bruin, he has it all, whining, dirty shots and diving.

Man, team Canada looks awful.

24. Storman says:

Playoff hockey really separates the men form the boys,, for example we see how hard it is for a guy like DD to compete and battle every 2nd night against size and tenacity that is amped to maximum levels nightly, compared to regular season. It is very plain to see Eller and his body frame are much better suited to playoff Hockey than DD,, Another example, the playoffs have taken there toll even on a stud like Crosby,, no comparison to Toews right now at the upper echelon of star players.. PK’s playoff performance has not only put him in and 8-9 plus million x 8years superstar category,, but he has made a definite case to be the next Captain of the Montreal Canadiens.

25. veryhabby says:

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

Any idea if I can catch this game on radio off my cell phone? Not worried about net connection as I have unlimited…but was trying to get onto TSN690 and there was no option on my phone to listen to the station. I have a BB10.

I live in Toronto area, and will be at my child’s b-ball game tonight. Rain would be appreciated!

26. kalevine says:

two turning points in the series, and neither were in that awful game 5. They overcame the first, that being the B’s comeback in Game 2, but they have not overcome the second, that being getting shutout at home in Game 4 and failing to close the deal

• Phil C says:

The Bruins obviously made adjustments in game 4 that completely shutdown the Habs. I was disappointed that Therrien didn’t make more offensive adjustments going into game 5, as the Bruins were able to predictably shutdown the Habs again. The key to success tonight will be the adjustments on offense to give the Bruins more trouble 5 on 5.

27. Louisville says:

Phaneuf on the trade block according to TSN! Well at least the Habs are not the Leafs heh! Carlyle back for a year too…Shanahan has a Long Term job in front of him.

Canada vs Czech Rep about to start. Reimer in nets. Yikes.

29. Ozmodiar says:

Doug MacLean, on Hockey Central, agrees with Riverview.

Said DD cannot play top line Center in this series. He said he likes DD, but the match up against Bergeron, Krejci, and even Soderberg isn’t fair. It’s gotta stop.

He said they should try Eller between Max and Vanek (I guess this is where it strays from Riverview’s suggestion).

I know, I know, it’s “MacLean”, but still, the former GM knows a thing or two. It’s not like it’s Dreger or McGuire here.

30. habstrinifan says:

I am OK with those wanting Beaulieu… but remember if the coach plays this young man how very very difficult a position it would be for him. So the posts have to be respectful of that.

I am in the camp of Murray be ‘IN’ but with absolute management of his minutes and situations.

But I’m good either way… it’s come down to this… cant cover all bases tonight… that ship has sailed.

31. BriPro says:

Good afternoon all.
    I’m allowing myself a rare GM-rant. Couch GM? Just for today….hopefully it serves to good use.

Let’s start with our top line. I don’t need to rehash what has been said and spun dry by most. Although I’ll give DD an extra couple of points for challenging and dumping Chara off the puck. That deserves some kudos.

Pleks? I’m a great Plekanec fan. Always have been. He’s been the one I’ve always hoped to be iced when there’s a negative circumstance that needs to be taken care of on the ice. But last game….. what was he thinking? I’ve never seen him take a truly DUMB penalty. Fine, a rogue stick, untimely tripping call…. but truly DUMB! It’s the first time (I believe) that his lack of focus might have cost us that game.

OK so the collective wasn’t the best, but Pleks was at his worst.

Murray? He’s another whom I like to endorse, but given that the game has been a skate-a-thon as opposed to a thug-a-thon, I move that Bouillon be put back into the lineup. He was more of a threat than Murray, even if the big guy makes it hard to enter our zone. Bouillon’s wheels are a little slower than they used to be, but he’s faster with the puck and more of an offensive threat than either Murray or Gorges. And we all know that poor old Josh isn’t being taken out.

Carey Price? He needs to steal a game. Not just as he did in game one, but the same with a GAA % of 1.000 for the game.

Markov? He’s tired. You can tell he’s tired. I don’t have an answer for that. I’m thinking it’s too late to bring in one of our future star Ds, aka Tinordi or Beaulieu, although I’d almost be tempted with Beaulieu, given is style of play, smarts and speed. But it might be a little too late for that now.

MT? He’s done just fine behind the bench. I think he’s fared far better than against last year’s walrus.

In the end (cue up “One day in the life”), I truly believe that we will go as far as our number 1 line carries the team. And since there’s no tomorrow (cliché), Max, Vanek and DD need to show up TONIGHT!!

We have the legs to do this. When you think about it, given that the team lost two in OT, our Habs could very well be sitting at home waiting to see if their next opponent is the Pens or the Blue shirts

I don’t care either way. Let’s just get it done.

32. SPATS says:

5 things that won’t happen tonight:

Price gives up 4
    Pleks takes 3 minors
    Prust will suit up
    Rask pitches a shutout
    PK disappears

Book the trip to Beantown Baby!

33. habs001 says:

Last year some of the same posters were posting that the Habs will win game 5 vs Ottawa and come back to win the series…Hopefully they are right this time….5 on 5 scoring has been an issue all year and only improved at the end of the season when Vanek was picked up..Also the Habs scored the 20th most goals in the league this year a stat that will probably not improve that much next year…

34. CJ says:

Interesting comments from Chris regarding the implications of the loss in game two – and Chris, I agree completely.

The only spin I would add would be the fact that the loss was not the end of the world. Even very good to elite teams lose leads. What bothered me the most (still bothers me) were the comments by Therien and the players that they got what they wanted – a split. IMO, it goes to show that this team lacks that sixth gear and killer instinct. They responded very well in game three, but game two really turned this series around. Now Rask has found his groove and looks excellent, especially considering that we have lost our will to drive the net and score from the dirty areas. If we remain satisfied with unobstructed shots from 40 feet, we have zero chance of winning tonight short of Price pitching a shut out.

• Ozmodiar says:

I’m surprised that anyone would be bothered by those comments.

As soon as they lost Game 2, I knew those words were coming. The comments were typical hockey cliches, and I doubt they reflected how they felt leaving Boston after the loss.

• Storman says:

Elite teams have that killer instinct which means tonight’s game will be a very diffcult challenge,, Montreal with a lead should be used in video coaching sessions on how not to play with a lead,, Boston up 3-1 they try to beat you 6-1,, Montreal up 3-1 they try to win 3-2..

• CJ says:

I agree 100%. I can’t stand the Bruins, but antics aside, they are the kind of team I hope we become down the road. Big, physical and able to win a street fight or game that ends 6-5. They have youth and size up and down their roster. Most importantly, they have a killer instinct. They intimidate and never give up.

I watched last game members of the Montreal Canadiens play scared. The Rocket must have shaken his head…..

• Storman says:

Absolutely CJ the hardest part of watching last game was 100% seeing the boys playing with fear, except for PK who even took on Lucic in a battle on the side boards, to try and wake the forwards up and get them to grow some.. It wa so hard to watch the lack of urgency and willingness to battle. Endless useless dump ins with no chase or puck support, mostly weak dump ins and head for line change, they were playing scared absolutley and it was so hard to watch..

• CJ says:

I saw the same thing…. I hated it. My mother commented yesterday, at dinner, that Max is scared, which is why he’s not producing. Look where and how Max scores. It’s not from 40-60 ft. He simply is not going to the dirty areas. The areas where he will face contact. DD isn’t able to create time or space because of his size. Lastly, the game is officiated differently, so the Bruins can get away with more. It all adds up to our offense drying up.

Max needs to put his head down and drive the far post. Force a scoring opportunity or force the refs to call a penalty.

Get to the gosh dang net….

• Chris says:

Like, Oz, I’m not at all concerned about Therrien’s public comments. Press conferences are probably the biggest waste of time in all of professional sports. They almost never say anything of substance, so it is just one long stream of cliches.

• Ozmodiar says:

I know a producer for SN Connected. I’m going to suggest to him that they use a year old locker room interview after a highlight package – just to see if anyone notices. Just gotta make sure they’re still on the team.

• CJ says:

I get that Chris, and agree to a point, but I would have liked to have heard something a little different. IMO, the play mirrored the comments. There was no sense of urgency or pending advantage to be gained from going up 2-0. As Storm said above, if Boston had the series lead and was up 3-1 in game two, they would be looking to drive a nail further into our coffin.

Just my two cents….

• Phil C says:

The fact that they were up 3-1 deep into the third period showed some good killer instinct in game 2. Comebacks are just a part of hockey as this playoffs has shown with both good and bad teams blowing two goal leads often.

The Habs were unlucky in game 2 IMO, but if a little bad luck is enough to determine whether you win or lose the series, you were not good enough. They can still win it in 7 if they are the better team.

35. Mick says:

Why did Marchand not get a cross checking penalty after he was called for holding up Eller. He had about 15 seconds after the whistle and skates over and nails Eller with the Ref watching and he gets nothing.
    Pure horse manure.

• krob1000 says:

No ref wants to put up with the harrassing emails that will follow from a Bruin Hockey Dad with some clout….oh those hockey parents

• Strummer says:

Just because it was caught on camera doesn’t mean the refs saw it.
      If you are sneaky enough you can get away with it.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Chris says:

Why didn’t Subban get a penalty for a pretty blatant punch to the back of Lucic’s head? Why did the Habs get away with 3 hits from behind in their own zone (well, in that case it was because Iginla got away with one on Pacioretty)?

Should it have been a penalty? Sure. Did it cost them the game? No.

There are countless plays on both sides that could have been penalties. The refs will always drive you nuts if you try to apply any logic to their decision making. :)

• krob1000 says:

There have been at least 2 and maybe 3 times as many infractions the Bruins have gotten away with. Subban easily could have got a rough and I would have been fine with it … but Lucic would have got one back because he retaliated. Chris the reffing has been atrocious…vs Tampa Montreal got a few calls…..not as many as TB thinks. Vs Boston…Montreal has been hosed…there is no longer such thing as intereference unless on the goaltender…every time a HAbs chipc the puck in the are basically in a one on one tackle football match to try an retrieve the puck.

• Chris says:

Rob, I agree to an extent. But the Bruins long ago figured something out that the rest of the NHL teams seem loathe to admit: the officials are expected to “not decide the game”. If you commit an atrocious number of fouls, the referees have no option but to put away the whistle on the majority of them. That is Bruins hockey, and the NHL has tacitly accepted it.

When I watch the games out west, it is the same thing. The amount of interference, roughing, charging, holding, hooking, etc. that is permitted by the referees is simply ludicrous in most of those games.

Many Canadian fans complained when the NHL tried to clean this crap up in 2005-06, with the NHL calling interference very tightly. Fans apparently hated the higher goal scoring totals and the faster game, so the NHL has retreated and we are now back to dead-puck era hockey. I hate it, but that battle is lost, at least for the short term.

36. BJ says:

Before these series I wasn’t sure PK was worth 8 million per year. Now I am.

37. JUST ME says:

I read that there seems to be a real chance that Beaulieu is inserted in tonight`s lineup. It would be cool but this means that open play is to be expected and maybe a few 2 on 1 s for the Bucking fruins. I agree with that idea to go full offense and trust Therrien to put him with a more defensively aware partner. This guy has such an offensive instinct that i would not mind seeing him transformed into a forward eventually.

38. sCOTT1243 says:

A little Habs vs Boston Tete A Claques!

39. theflukester says:

I’m going to watch tonight but I’m pretty sure we’re done for. Boston has the momentum and home ice. Montreal ain’t got squat including referee’s. Boston will get away with everything just as they have been since game 2. Interference, elbows, late hits, offsides, but expect they will be laser on for anything Montreal does.

I think Bergevin should take a good look at his club and notice he HAS to make changes. With the players we have we’re doomed. Guys who can score regular season and then be dead in playoffs. Very bad.

I say good luck but I’m not holding my breath.

Play every game as if it is your last one. Guy Lafleur

40. Louisville says:

A lot of folks here bemoaning the bullying tactics of the Bruins. But I have to say the Habs have handled it perfectly. It’s not because of the Bruins whining and diving that the Habs are where they are. The Bruins do have a better team as well, but the Habs have enough horses to beat these guys. In the end the coaching decisions have not been very good in this series. Prust should no longer be playing. It’s been obvious for over a year now that his career is over, how an NHL coaching staff does not see it is mind boggling.

Travis Moen has a history of concussions and has never played well since receiving his first. How a coaching staff would think that he would play well after the last one is again mind boggling.

Briere has actually scored more goals per minutes played than any player on the Habs, but he is continuously benched and missed the last game which effectively neutered the 4th line. How can a professional coaching staff make a decision like this.

Nathan Beaulieu, Jared Tinordi. Absolutley obvious that Tinordi has the size and ability to easily replace Murray with much better footspeed. Beaulieu will be an elite defenceman in this league but he languishes in Hamilton because the coach does not like his attitude. Part of winning a cup is having the passion. Right now on PK and Bourney bring this. Would have been nice to have Tinordi and Beaulieu ready to play for the playoffs. Instead the coach is going to play him in a game 6 elimination game when he hasn’t played in a month. MIND BoGGLING.

Even more troublesome is that this coach continues to blend the lines in a game 5 of the quarter finals. Much as I despise Julien, when their backs were against the wall in game 4 he continued to play the same lines.

I’m guessing the Habs get trounced tonight but what is really worrying to me is not the loss tonight but the fact that this coach will be back next year. How unfortunate.

• JUST ME says:

Beaulieu and Tinordi staying in Hamilton is not Therrien`s decision. It`s Bergevin`s call as he is in charge of cap space and development of players. Whether you like it or not, those guys were not ready for the NHL full time. You describe their abilities pretty accurately but as you would like them to be not as they are right now. I expect them to graduate next season as Bergevin hinted that they are getting close to the minimum number of games he sees a player having to play in the AHL in order to be able to sustain the rythm in the NHL.
      Still they probably would have made better than some regulars but the idea is for us to help them devellop for the long run not the now run…

• Louisville says:

I’m pretty sure that MT had his say as well. But I agree that they are the future. I do not think that they have been handled well in order to develop towards the big club. Player development seems to be a major issue for this club.

• JUST ME says:

It is a big issue but we have nothing to develop in the farm team other than the Gainet/Gauthier era`s players. This summer up to 9 players from Bergevin`s draft choices will bring desperately needed new blood and a the first new challenges for the coaches in Hamilton.

41. Prop says:

This cracked me up just from the caption and the fact that it’s Rene Raincourt…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

42. Phil C says:

It doesn’t necessarily matter if Montreal’s top line gets shutdown as long as they are drawing the toughest matchups, which leaves better matchups for the 3rd and fourth line. This is why Murray needs to sit and they need Briere back for secondary scoring. The DD line drawing the top defenders is probably why Eller’s line has been able to produce. Switch Eller and DD, and the reverse would probably be true. If our 3rd and 4th line can generate offense, the Habs have a great chance tonight.

• habstrinifan says:

BINGO!!! It is probably the first and last time you and I will agree. You are saying it differently than I have and you may reject any association but I totally agree with you and have pointed out this same theme in my defense of Vanek/DD/Pacs as a line. I dont think they will be as big a scoring threat (unit) as some would like..(an insight better highlighted by UCE or Hab-In-Surrey). I never thought they were. But if they are encouraged and their confidence upheld and reflected in their play, I think they provide enough of a concern for the Bruins that it affects the Bruins negatively and us positively in oher assignments.

I also believe that while Vanek should remain a one season rental (too expensive), he has paid dividends in the playoffs with some timely momentum setting production.

I hope whatever the pre-game message he receives tonite, it is one of encouragement and not a ‘questioning’ of his intensity.

I also posted that Vanek is one of the few forwards (Eller being another) that takes advantage of the mobility/playmaking of our defense.

I wont rehash my criticism of this element of our game being mismanaged in games 4 and 5…. I just hope they are allowed to and are relaxed and confident enough to reclaim that chemistry… tonight. If it happens … we win the game period….. even if Pacs DD or Vanek aren’t prominent ON THE SCORESHEET.

• Phil C says:

Exactly, well said, I always welcome your comments. Not all contributions show up on the scoresheet and in the stats. You and I often agree when talking hockey. Of course, if we always agreed, it wouldn’t be much fun around here would it? ;-)

43. scrotchland says:

well fellow hab fans, tonight is the night….but I think that the bruins will win. they have our habs on the ropes, and it aint gonna be pretty.
    very disapointing season.
    therian and his braindead decisions have cost this team again. time to put him out to pasture after tonight. get a real coach in here like guy bousher.

• JUST ME says:

Our Habs ? And you pretend to be a fan a real one ? Stop pissing in everyone`s corn flakes just to create havoc and pretend that you are relevant in any way.Wow ! Guy Boucher ! It took one game for him to be exposed ! One game !What a connaisseur you are !

It has been a GREAT season ah.

• RJ says:

Can the moderator make this clown go away? Is anyone minding the store on this site?

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

• kalevine says:

honestly can’t say this is a disappointing season no matter what happens tonight. Taking the Bruins in the second round sure beats getting beatend by the sens in 5 in the first. Yes I’ll be disappointed with the result, because I want to watch Habs in 3rd round, but now I think they are headed in that direction

44. krob1000 says:

IF Pk Subban squirted Shawn Thronton it would be headline news still today. It owuld have been made out taht it was extremely dangerous…what if he flinched right before a hit and didn;t see it or prepare himself as a result?
    The officaiitng in Boston was a joke….my stepson didn;t understand why tehy were not calling anything…he asked why they let all of the interference go? I said that is playoff hockey and his response was simple…he said they should have two separate leagues tehn becuase that isn;t what he has been watching all year.

• Ozmodiar says:

Rask should have received a match penalty last game, no?

• krob1000 says:

He should have received something, Marchand tossing the helmet, Thronto water bottle, Rask shot to heard, countless hits from behind….utterly embarassing…but what is worse is listening to the damn commentators trying to sway and influence opinion. Last game I wanted to see a HAb player…any player blow a gasket…just get fed up and go nuts. Now they cannot…the game is too important but when that game was out of reach…someone needed tos tep up. Moen< PRust and Murray were not in that lineup for their hockey…one of them needed to do something…

• Chris says:

51.3 Match Penalty – If, in the judgment of the Referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed.

In addition to the painful grammar of that sentence, there is a loophole in the phrasing of that rule through which you could fit an ocean tanker. Since Plekanec was not injured, the referee must decide that it was an attempt to deliberately injure Plekanec. Have you ever seen a match penalty given for that?

The incident with Henrik Lundqvist and Max Pacioretty a while back was far more egregious than this one, with Lundqvist jumping on Pacioretty and giving him a shot on the ice. The NHL didn’t see that as a match penalty, so this one on Plekanec certainly wasn’t getting one.

It **should** have been a roughing penalty to Rask, however, but the incident perfectly illustrates NHL officiating: maddeningly inconsistent.

• Ozmodiar says:

okay, so he *could* have received a match penalty, based on the wording.

• Chris says:

Well sure…he could have. But like I said, when was the last time you ever heard of that call being made? It’s one of those rules in the book that the officials never, ever call.

45. Chris says:

Without risk, there is no genius.

We know what the Habs are with their current stable of defencemen: outhit, outmuscled, outhustled, and painful to watch on the second wave of the PP.

So put Nathan Beaulieu in…at least this way, even if we lose, I don’t have to watch Josh Gorges dumping pucks into the corner on the power play. Because that killed my soul.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Chris, I’m glad I am not the only one sick of those silly dump ins along the corner. Josh should not be on the PP, ever.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
      Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• Storman says:

I agree Josh Gorges on the PP is painful and very hard to watch. He gives up the line so quickly he plays the 2nd wave PP like he is on the PK unit., Beaulieu shielded minutes, and the ability to use him on the 2nd wave alone makes so much sense,,We are all ready using the wrong Swedish defenseman in our organization, Damn fly in Magnus Nygren from the world championships,,

• Cal says:

If Beaulieu’s in tonight, you can watch him running around in his own end, not knowing where he should be. That will curdle my soul.

• Chris says:

And how will that be any different than Murray? :)

• Cal says:

Beaulieu will be faster at getting out of position. ;)

• Storman says:

Cal,,I do not agree with not using Beaulieu , but that was a good comeback line.

• Adidess says:

I am for Beaulieu, but yes that’s excellent repartee.

• Chris says:

Nice.

I am not the fastest skater in the world, so one of my teammates jokingly bought one of the coach’s whiteboards, complete with the little marker for making plays. My position had a sticker of me…he said not having to draw my positioning during the set play would save time during the game, since I wasn’t going to move far anyways.

That’s how I’ve felt about Douglas Murray all season. :)

We also had a goalie who really liked to come out of his net to play the puck, so the guy who bought the board re-drew the crease in our end to include everything inside the blue line. It was entertaining when he pulled it out during the play…tension gone.

• Cal says:

I’m here until Thursday. Try the veal. :)

• Phil C says:

I’m with you, it almost brings me to tears to see him dump it in the corner like that all the time. Toooooooooo conservative.

46. DipsyDoodler says:

Tuuka Rask leads all goalies in the playoffs with an insane .940 save percentage.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

47. JUST ME says:

I am completely into this playoff run and will be cheering for the Habs tonight with lots of hope to stay in the hunt for another game.

I would be BSing myself and you guys if i was to tell you that i expected such a fun and succesfull season. I am not blind either because only half of the job is complete and that the farm team is pathetically empty. New blood is coming in over the summer to start the main building process of any serious organization or at least one that pretends to be …

Do not think we are out of the woods either in the NHL as difficult decisions will have to be made until the farm team can supply some future Habs and this can take a few seasons yet. But as an eternal optimistic i see that we have more than a solid core to work with so i think we should be o.k. I will be happy when we stop aiming for the playoffs and start aiming for the big mug and with a bit of luck that just may be the case soon .

But for now , why not now ? There is still hope !

We are definitely one notch better than we used to be and this is already a reason to celebrate cause for so long we would not make real progress and be able to really look forward to bigger and better things.

Have not listened to TSN radio since before game 5 on saturday cause i did not feel like all that usual negativity and loser attitude. (I find one of those here and that`s already too much).

So , for tonight the only hope i can hang on to is the fact that when they had to meet a challenge, most of the time they did so…

Go Habs Go !

48. Storman says:

If your looking for something to pass the time until game time Sportsnet has Darts (One Hundred & Eightyyyyyy) from 1-3pm,, Maybe RDS can bring back televising mini putt, birdieeeee..

49. krob1000 says:

I hope they go back to dressing 4 lines again….what were they thinking putting Murray, PRust an Moen all in….that ensured the Habs were not only the second toughest team on the ice but also the second fastest, second best goalscorers, second best everything. I have been so extrememly bitter since seeing that….reminds me of a team a few years back playing BOston and Philly …team built the same way…success was in depth offesnively up and down the lineup and instead they tried to dress a “tougher” lineup….ridiculous…..same result ….just as ridiculous…I really hope we see something different tonight.

• Chris says:

The Game 5 line-up was the silly (but inevitable) response to the Habs forwards pulling a collective no-show in Game 4 on home ice.

That game only ended 1-0 in OT, and the Habs could have won it. But the score-line greatly flattered the Montreal forwards – they threatened Rask about as much as Roseanne Barr threatens Bar Refaeli for the SI cover spot.

• krob1000 says:

Well…Vanek is never happy with Pleks as the shutdown guy…he is ppouting. Eller, Bourque and GIo are probably disgusted at their treatment given their success…they get no opportunisitc ice and no pp time. Weise is useless when he is the most talented forward on his line. Bournival is not able to play with top tier linemates against a team like the Bruins. Murray cannot play against Boston when Boston has last change and he also needs the fastest Habs forwards in the lineup to negate his lack of speed. RBiere absolutely has to be in the lineup…not only is their best bet at clutch time…he is their best elader…he is the most experienced playoff guy in the room….I’d trather the palyers ignore the coahces and listen to BRiere …I mean that.
        Dd and Patches have zero confidence left…this is not like early in the season where teh team can afford to keep trying to get them going…they split everyone else…maybe it is time to split them. I can clearly say that Motnreal would not be where they were if not for DD>..but in the playoffs….he has been the 4th most useful center. LEt oen of the others…including BRiere get the opportunities.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Exactly, sit Desharnais and put Briere in his spot with Pacioretty and Vanek. Therrien could look like a genius if he just listened to common sense!

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
          Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• kalevine says:

I haven’t been a big fan of Briere, but he looks good on that 4th line and has done everything they could ask of him this playoff, especially with limited time. I can’t believe he was benched! Isn’t he the guy who gets you through the playoffs? Can’t do much to help that from the press box, let alone in 6 mins of ice time.

50. PrimeTime says:

Not sure why fans want Habs to get bigger and “tougher” tonight?? Do you really think Habs can out-Bruin the Bruins?? Every game Habs beat them this year was with speed and discipline. Need to play smart positionally, win the neutral zone battle, and speacialty teams. The team that plays their game wins tonight.

• krob1000 says:

Agree….dress ONE of Moen, PRust and Murray……pick any one of them.

• Habfan17 says:

I don’t think it is a question of playing the “Bruins” game. I believe fans want players with jam that can and will be able to fight through it, players with jam. As they keep pointing out, some players get you to the playoffs, some get you thought them.

For me anyway, it is a question of getting players to sacrifice and play through the checks, not hold up or back down. Players who will be first on the puck, even if it means taking a hit, driving to the net with authority. Not coasting, moving their legs the while shift! Not necessarily bigger tough players, Vanek and Patches should be doing this. If they had been, the Habs may be resting up for the next round right now!

Habfan17

51. Mick says:

Patches and Vanek did not perform in the Tampa series either. I don’t get why they can’t ramp up their game in the post season. They both have talent that could help this team move past the Bruins but sadly they suck and because of that we might not move on..
    DD is no surprise against a bigger stronger line-up. He should be taken out and try Eller with Patches and Vanek and put Briere between Borque and Gio. White with Wiese and Bournial on the fourth line.

Saw this headline on RDS – “Le Canadien parle, St-Louis agit”

Once again, Habs grabbed a wrong midget. And agree… too much talking too little of anything on the ice. Time for guys like Pacioretty and DD to put those pretty words they feed reporters to action.

• Chris says:

We’ll see what happens tonight. My heart says the team can still pull this out of the fire. My head says that the Habs blew this series when they let Game 2 slip away from them.

The Bruins were basically begging to be knocked out of the playoffs, and the Habs let them off the hook. Now, the Bruins have fully woken up. They have their four lines rolling, and their goaltender is playing well.

It would be great if Pacioretty and Vanek and Desharnais got going. But they need more from everybody in the line-up not named PK Subban and Carey Price, and maybe a little less from Subban. If Subban’s the only talking point tomorrow morning, we’re dissecting what went wrong for four months while we look forward to the draft and free agency.

• krob1000 says:

It would be great of instead of going to the same guys in every opportunistic scenario the team would go tot he guys who have been playing the best. I am furious beyond belief…the best forward for the ENTIRE pl;ayoffs has been Lars Eller by a landslide and he cannnot get a bone…maybe throw Pathces with him? maybe give his line some pp time with Subban and Markov? BRiere in the pressbox? in the palyoffs? the same playoffs whee is outscoring DD in a fraction of the iceitime? tehs ame playoffs where he has assisted on two game winners? Play Gorges and Emelin on the PP?? Why not try Briere on the point…it can;t be any worse….or some forward. NOt only do the BRuins get the ebenfit of teh doubt from the refs but tehy only serve 1 minute penalties because after teh first minute MOntreal basically declines the pp.

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Game 2, and even game 4, they let ‘em off the hook. Can’t do that if you’re the underdog.

Still, it ain’t over, as they say.

53. RiverviewCanadien says:

Hmmm…posted this on last thread. Come on MT, do it!

I also hope for the following:
    Pacioretty-Briere-Vanek
    Bournival-Plekanec-Gallagher
    Bourque-Eller-Gionta
    Moen-White-Weise

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Tinordi/Beaulieu-Weaver

Looks like Beaulieu is drawing in – CHECK…Briere is back in (*hopefully at the expense of Desharnais) – *CHECK, and last but not least, here’s hoping that White draws in – CHECK???

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
    Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• Habfan17 says:

I would definitely bring Briere back in for his experience and since he was putting up a point per game in the playoffs.

I have complete faith in some of the Habs, PK, Price, Gallagher, and a few others. Patches has not gained my faith in the playoffs. He needs the same talk from Mellanby that Bourque got! Bourque could use a booster too! I think that flu has set him back. Vanek needs to play like he did the last 6 games of the season. He was physically engaged and making great plays! Not so much in the playoffs.

I like the idea of putting White in, I think he has learned he needs to keep his cool, and Beaulieu! I remember when the Habs brought in Claude Lemieux! Lose was not in hos vocabulary and he would go through a wall to get the puck in the net or to get the puck.

We need that attitude from everyone tonight. If Crisp was like that, I would be all for bringing him in!!

Habfan17

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Vanek better play or else be benched during the game…which would suck putting the team down by a forward.

Briere will be pumped, but he can’t be wasted with no ice time…he needs to play.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
        Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• montrealtilldeath says:

Like the Briere line and its potential but Vanek and Patches have to put some skin (fore checking) in the game. This line will be terrible if most of their ice time is spent in our end. Remember we have to take the puck from the Bruins as they are not going to give it to us.
      That is Bournival’s talent (stripping the puck).

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Agree about Bournival, that is why I like him with Plekanec and Gally. They will be drawing against the Bruins top line…and those wheels of Bournivals…kid can skate!

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
        Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• munch17 says:

I can’t tell you how much I hope you are right.
      And if not at least put Danny on the power play instead of DD.
      Or Eller. Or Pleks. Or Parros ( kidding).

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Oh the powerplay has been such a disappointment…and all the time it is DD and his buddies on the 1st wave. So much wasted PP time.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
        Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• Mick says:

Agree!
      MT does not have the b_lls.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

My thoughts exactly.

XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|XX|10|9|8|7|6|5|4|3|2|1

==============================================
        Folks, it’s Playoffs time, and that’ll keep ya on yer seats!

• Ozmodiar says:

I approve this message.

54. Phil C says:

The Habs need to come out flying tonight and not have their speed affected by physical play. If they do that, they have a great chance to win. Time to go with speed on defense, put the best offensive players together and cut them loose. Nothing like an elimination game. Go Habs!

55. sCOTT1243 says:

Time to put the VDDP line back together…the “new” lines have not been working.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Also, Vanek has shown that he’s a playmaker. No offence to Bournival but he has scored 7 goals in the NHL.

I would also like to see the exploitation line spend more time with Subban and Gorges.

Maybe have Plekanec play with Gionta and Gallagher?

—–
      Moving. Forward.

56. montrealtilldeath says:

We absolutely need some one like White to start the game (opening faceoff) to set the game tone for the Habs. Watching Patches and Vanek hit no one at the outset sends the wrong message to the players watching on the bench. Clark Gillies, Hound Dog Kelly; we all know what these players meant in the playoffs to their teams. If you watch Marchand he runs at some one in his FIRST SHIFT on the ice. The message: “This is the Stanley Cup playoffs”.

57. frontenac1 says:

Good call on putting Nate in. Gotta roll the dice at some point. Danny boy should be in and Prust should sit. I might even sit Bournival for Whitey. Tough call but we need a banger 4th line tonight. Whitey Moen Weisse?

58. Ozmodiar says:

I’ll be pretty shocked if we see Beau in the line-up tonight.

Can’t say I’d disagree with the move, though. The team needs a spark.

• montrealtilldeath says:

Hate to disagree but I think this is a panic move. We are being out hit badly and our answer is Beaulieu? Watched him closely with the puck when he came up. He panic passes under pressure. Will probably be sitting by middle period. Definitely need White in there though. What’s missing is our intensity from earlier games.

• Phil C says:

I would love to see Beaulieu, but it has to be Bouillon as a minimum and sit Murray. Secondary scoring has been the key to victory many times, so the Habs need a puck mover on each pairing.

59. Jocko says:

Morning all my fellow Habs fans (not so much to the trolls on here, ha ha). I am praying for a better game from our big guns tonight. Man, if Vanek and Patches finally get that fire under their butts, Boston will be in trouble.

As much as I am looking forward to the game, I can no longer look at the NHL and consider it much of a pro league. The water bottle antics of late are some of the most immature things I recall in hockey. The NHL, to be considered a pro league, really need to crack down hard on the extensive lack of respect players have for each other. Suspensions for first timers need to start at double digits, irregardless of time of year. Second time, half a season, third time, adios career. Fighting, well, I don’t mind it so much. The stick work, the immature bullcrap, it’s stupid!

Bruins fans, I am sorry to say that if the NHL was a real league, chances are you would have one last banner in the rafters.

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

60. Shackles says:

The title of the article is all wrong; Habs are facing victory in game 6. I firmly believe that MT will pull off one of those Any Given Sunday motivational speeches to rally the troops.
    Desharnais line pots 2 goals tonight, Subban continues with his point streak and if Nate’s in the lineup; 2 assists. Book it!

61. Beaco says:

I, for one, choose to be optimistic about tonight. Boston played their best game thus far in game 5 and yes, we were outplayed. Still, they scored twice in 32 seonds with our best penalty killer in the box and we lost by 2. Given Plex doesn’t generally go to the box quite so frequently and the B’s don’t normally light us up on the PP I don’t disike the chances of us heading back to Boston for game 7.

62. Storman says:

Darren Millard suggest,, wait no he just actually said this,,,LMFAO Mark Giordano for Dion Phaneuf,, Darren Millard the dumbest thing I have ever heard come out of his pie hole..

63. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

If Nathan IS in tonight, hopefully he brought along his dad so that the two of them can kick some Bruin ass.

X X X X X X 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

64. twilighthours says:

Luke,

yup, pretty happy. 7.5hrs for 50k doesn’t sound impressive, but you have to see these trails. 1600m of total elevation gain and some tricky singletrack. It was “do as many loops as you can in 8 hrs” so I’m glad I didn’t drop when most others were. Pretty happy.

65. Luke says:

‘Twi,

Before the new story, I responded…

to your run:
    Thats awesome Twi.
    Congrats! 50km is just unimaginable to me!
    Amazing job. Happy with the results? (obviously you are happy with the legs!)

To your Haiku request:
    Murray skates in snowshoes
    the puck resides in his end
    shots on net follow

(quick try… hope I got my count right)

66. icemachine says:

Well it’s Do or die time, hoping Max finds the back of the net a few times tonight, and the boys get the convincing win they’ll need to have a chance in G7

67. Storman says:

Hockey Central at noon opens with a leafs discussion live from the Bell Center Playoffs round 2 elimination game,, looks like things will be no diffrent when Sportsnet partners/takes over from CBC,, same old same old.

68. montrealtilldeath says:

Skate hard, forecheck hard and FINISH OUR CHECKS and we will win. The 3rd period in game 4 was very telling if one watched closely. When we turned it up the Bruins got tired. They NEEDED to score early in OT to win. Make them play in their end.

69. Commandant says:

Therrien is going to do it…. He’s going to unleash the BEAU FLOW.

Its time.

70. montreal ace says:

I think Patches is going to have an awesome game 7

71. Storman says:

Excessive game day flatulence prevented me from being first.

72. sCOTT1243 says:

This is already turning into the longest day ever… I think my watch just went backwards!

Hope the boys are focused and ready to go tonight.