Habs enjoy six-day Christmas break in schedule; Pacioretty becomes a dad

The Canadiens gave themselves an early Christmas gift with their 4-3 win over the Predators Saturday night in Nashville with David Desharnais scoring the winning goal in overtime after they had blown a 3-0 first-period lead.

The Canadiens returned home after the game and will enjoy a six-day break in the schedule before visiting the Tampa Bay Lightning on Saturday, Dec. 28. The Canadiens won’t even practise again until Friday afternoon after arriving in Florida.

After the game in Tampa, the Canadiens will visit the Florida Panthers on Sunday, Dec. 29, travel to Carolina to play the Hurricanes on New Year’s Eve, then visit the Dallas Stars on Thursday, Jan. 2, before returning home to face the Ottawa Senators on Saturday, Jan. 4.

The Canadiens’ Max Pacioretty got an early Christmas gift as his wife, Katia, gave birth to a baby boy early Monday morning. Lorenzo Pacioretty weighed in a 8 pounds, 14 ounces and measured 21 inches long.

Tweeted The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs: “#Habs Max replies to my text that his 4-hour-old son Lorenzo is already nearly as big as Davey: “Hopefully he has the same hands too”.

Meanwhile, here’s what Larry Brooks of the New York Post reported on the weekend concerning the Canadiens and Pacioretty:

“It seems inexplicable, but Slap Shots has heard continued chatter about the Canadiens’ willingness to trade Max Pacioretty, the 25-year-old winger who apparently isn’t Michel Therrien’s ideal,” Brooks wrote.

“Of course the Rangers are interested, but unless the Blueshirts are willing to re-gift Montreal with Ryan McDonagh (and they’re not dealing McDonagh, one of the most untradeable players in the league), there is little reason to believe the clubs have a match, and no, the Habs don’t seem to be a potential landing spot for Michael Del Zotto.”

Brooks added: “We’re told the Islanders and Flyers are taking serious runs at Pacioretty, who has a club-friendly contract worth $4.5 million per that runs through 2018-19, but Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t prone to dealing him in the East — if he’s willing to deal him at all after the roster freeze melts after Friday night’s games.”

From everyone at HIO, our best wishes for a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

(Photo by Robert F. Bukaty/The Associated Press)

Digging into Santa’s sports sack, by Jack Todd

Christmas comes early for Habs in Nashville, by Pat Hickey

Signs of progress for Canadiens in 2013, by Pat Hickey

Markov the man of year for Habs, by Dave Stubbs

Gorges vs. Gallagher in gift-wrapping challenge (video), Canadiens.com

Team Canada favourites to win world junior tourney, Stu on Sports blog

A remarkable hockey career ends for David-Alexandre Beauregard, Stu on Sports blog

Documentary focuses on hockey school that brings Jews, Arabs together, by Stu Cowan

New line of ‘game-changing’ equipment, Stu on Sports blog

1. belle_moustache says:

For a hockey/Habs site, I read way too many mentions of that God dude, which kind of makes me uncomfortable…

As faithless die-hard Habs fan, let me go with a more secular Christmas greetings.

I don’t often post here, but I’m here everyday enjoying the blog posts and the lively discussions among all posters. So I want to wish everyone, truly everyone, including the nay-sayers and half-baked fans, a truly Merry Christmas. It is the time of year for family, friendship, joy, and of course, hockey.

Merry Christmas to all!

2. BJ says:

That should read Frohe Weihnachten …..

3. BJ says:

Frohe Weinachten from Germany…..

4. Habcouver says:

Season’s Greetings HIO family,
    The wife is proudly strutting her Habs t-shirt from Santa.

Waiting patiently for #25

5. Mavid says:

My son gave me 100 level tickets to see the Habs play the Turds on January 4th!!!!! oh yea!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

6. slapshot777 says:

Merry Christmas everyone.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

7. Psycho29 says:

Too many Rum and Cokes….

Is that Bernie Parent dressed as Santa in that photo????

8. AllHailTheFlower says:

A very Merry Christmas to one and all!

9. FANHABULOUS says:

I want to wish a very Merry Christmas to my HIO family… we sometimes fight, we sometimes argue, but we all love the same thing at the end of the day!

Now, I’m gonna go have a nice tall beverage… Cheers!!
    ____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Ian Cobb says:

MOE! fanhabulous! —state side.
      We sure are a fantastic HIO family my friend! world wide!

Merry Christmas to all my family! Christians! Jews! Muslims! and all the rest of the faiths of the world! We are all under only one God my friends!

• belle_moustache says:

Ian, what about those proud godless Habs fans like me who are of no faith! I wish you would have included us as well!
        Nonetheless, merry Christmas to all!!!

10. Propwash says:

Merry Christmas everybody!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

11. Stevie.Ray says:

At the beginning of the season I made a few predictions:

Tinordi and Beaulieu would be full-time NHLers by seasons end.
    One of Gorges, Markov, Diaz, or Boullion’s will be traded.
    Desharnais, Gionta, and Briere will not be traded.

And now I will make a new prediction:
    Galchenyuk will go on a tear during the second half of the season.

• The_Truth says:

Doubtful Tinordi and Beaulieu will be full time NHLers this season, barring injury. If they can barely be above average in the AHL, they are not ready at this level. They were overrated by many, before the season began, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Beaulieu traded. Pateryn is outplaying them and should be the 1st call-up.

Doubtful one of the 4 defenseman you mentioned will be traded. Nobody would want Boullion, Markov is in the team’s future plans as I would suspect Gorges is as well. It’s possible to see Diaz dealt, but with little return.

Briere is pretty much untradeable, Gionta won’t get much and the Habs are light on top 6 forwards as it is (even though I don’t think he qualifies as one anymore). Desharnais is also in the team’s plans, at least for this season, and is basically the only center doing anything right now offensively. Not sure how tradeable he is either.

Gally to go on a tear? Quite possible, but I would think he will just continue on the steady pace he is on, to settle around 20 goals and 50 points.

It is hard for me to see a scenario where MB does anything major with the roster, considering they are doing pretty well in the standings. With a healty roster and Price playing well, he will probably want to see how they fare in the playoffs, to see where they really stand.

12. RAM_TOUGH says:

MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HABBY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE.

My older Brother & my Cousin’s wife are both dying of Cancer.

My wish for Christmas is a cure this horrible, horrible disease.

May God bless all of US!

Guts-Glory-Ram

• kbhab4ever says:

Check out Rick Simpsons oil on u tube, It’s been around forever ,but he’s kind of taken it mainstream . I think it’s a 60 gram cure plan. Not hemp oil but w$$d oil

• CH Marshall says:

Wishing you and your family the best, and a cure to cancer!
      s

• Habfan10912 says:

Ram, prayers and positive thoughts go out to your family. Cancer is in fact a hideous disease and has impacted way too many of our lives. So sorry that your family has to struggle with this.

• habstrinifan says:

Not much to say but wishing
      a) that whatever time you have with them be filled with God’s Peace

and

b) that somehow that time is miraculously extended by God’s unforeseen miracle or by Man thru God with a cure.

• Ian Cobb says:

There is much sadness and joy in the world my friend. That is why we need you here with your HIO family to share the good and not so good. I need friends as do all of us! God bless you in your heart ach, and post your feelings here for the rest of your HIO family can take some of the burden from you.!

13. Et le but says:

Merry Christmas one and all!!!
    Like a second family, warts and all, the HIO community has a special place in my heart and I am grateful to be a member of the team.
    Enjoy your day!

14. jackbutt says:

MERRY CHRUSTMAS EVERYONE!!!! Love your family, enjoy great food, and most important, don’t drink and drive!!

15. habsfan0 says:

Merry Christmas,one and all!

My late father was born on December 25. His name was Leon,which of course,when spelled backwards is Noel.

16. Psycho29 says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all at HI/O..from the Pricebots to the Halakians; the Chicken Littles to the Size Queens, the Debbie Downers to the Rose Colored Glasses Crew!

We are like one big happy (sometimes dysfunctional) family…

17. Hoegaarden says:

Merry Christmas / Joyeux Noel to all HIO members.

18. Habfan10912 says:

A Hockey Inside Out Christmas story.

My Grandson Mason is a 3 year old autistic child. Several weeks ago he lost his favorite truck. He named this truck “Mack Truck”. The family looked high and low for his toy but to no avail. My daughter told him that perhaps Santa would bring him another one if he was a good boy.

Mason does talk but normally he’s very timid around other people and will be very uncomfortable. Part of his spectrum issues is he gets upset at anything outside of his normal routine. He also gets very fixated on things. He was fixated on his Mack Truck.

My daughter and son-in-law took Mason to visit Santa. To everyone’s astonishment Mason went up to Santa and when Santa asked, “What do you want for Christmas little boy?” Mason replied, “Mack Truck!”

We celebrate every milestone this little guy has and this was certainly a milestone. We had to find this little guy his Mack Truck. Now mind you there is nothing special about this truck. It’s not this years “in” toy like an I Pad or X-box. It’s an inexpensive toy truck like those commonly found in any toy department. But Mason wanted his “Mack Truck” all the same.

A week before Christmas my daughter calls me panicking. She could not find this truck anywhere. She looked at Ebay, all the stores in the area to no avail. I quickly sent out a request to my HIO friends Sholli, Habinburlington, L Ellie and Bripro to see if any stores in their home towns may have this toy. So we now had the Provinces of Quebec, Ontario, and Manitoba in addition to New York, Nevada and New Jersey looking for this toy truck.

A few days before Christmas I get a phone call from Bripro. He and his wife are in a store starring at the truck Mason wants. While busy doing their own holiday shopping they took time out to look for Mason’s truck. We verified that this was indeed the toy Mason wanted and Bripro and his wife purchase it and quickly went about sending it down to me.

On Christmas Eve the UPS man delivered the truck and I headed up to my daughter’s home to spend the day with my family and deliver the truck.

As I write this my daughter just told me that once Mason saw the truck under the tree he yelled, “Mack Truck”, and had no interest in the other toys under the tree. Santa had come through for this little boy and he was happy. He took his toy out of the living room and into his play room and had no interest in Santa’s other gifts. His simple wish had been fulfilled.

Today that innocent little boy’s pure heart is filled with joy over the gift which he received. But his was not the only gift received during this holiday season.

His Grandfather received an even greater gift, the gift of friendship. Thanks to the great people at the Gazette, I’ve been able to meet and become friends with many folks north of the border. Today my heart is filled with joy for the gift that Bripro and his wife gave me and my family this Christmas. Such wonderful friends all made possible by the greatest hockey fans in the world and the greatest newspaper anywhere.

19. habsfaninboston says:

Merry Xmas to all the HIO community!

20. Mavid says:

waiting for my granddaughter to arrive so excited I can hardly stand it..
    Merry Christmas from Mary..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

21. Habfan10912 says:

Merry Christmas to my friends on HIO. Hope your day is filled with family, friends and lots of goodies. CHeers.

22. Maritime Ronn says:

Merry Christmas to all the HIO folks.

The evolution of Montreal Canadiens Christmas cards since 1940.
    Some great shots.

23. Saintpatrick33 says:

Merry Christmas!

24. badbalance says:

Merry Christmas everybody a year closer to the Habs winning their next cup.

25. piper says:

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

26. Lagerhab says:

Merry Christmas to all! Happy to be a part of this great community!
    Go Habs Go!!! 2014 Here we come!

27. Chuck says:

Have a safe and Merry CHristmas, and a Habby New Year!

_______________________
    Anything is possible.

In the everlasting and enduring words of Ebenezer Boone, “Hab! Humbug!”

29. CH Marshall says:

Holiday greetings to everyone…. Everyone except Davey D… No Christmas stocking for you!

30. habstrinifan says:

A Christmas Memory.
    ================

In the Cul-De-Sac Village of Moruga, Trinidad, where I spent my ‘little boy’ years, there is a tradition which combined the inescapable melancholy of a Catholic Christmas with the impassive acceptance of the finality of life as passed down from the Sadducees-like teachings of our African elders and which, I now understand, maintained the village’s calmness of endeavour.

Moruga was a rice-paddy sustained enclave of ancient folks which had grown up at the end of a long detour off the Southern Main Road, between the ambitious town of Princess Town and the culturally exotic town of spanish Rio Claro.

The detour wound its way downhill, south-east from the Southern Main Road and ran with a rusty purpose into the Caribbean Sea, which it unsuccessfully tried to resist by becoming a fertile spur of land on which had sprouted the imperturbable village of Moruga.

Fishermen went out onto the Caribbean Sea before the break of dawn. And if one did not return before true night made only sleep probable and nothing else possible, there was almost immediate acceptance that things would have to be done early tomorrow. They were not things of grief or even forbearing. They seemed more like things of calm endeavour. But they were things which the elders forbade me as a child from being a participant.

At Christmas time, however, the youngest boy in an extended ‘family’ would be called upon, after prayers at the altar, to share in one of those things. I knew it was one of those things because I had secretly climbed a tree and spied on the happenings one early morning when my best friend’s dad had not returned.

And so that Christmas, when I was called upon, and saw the calabash cup on the hot stones I knew even before being told what to do. Seven times,I picked up a thimble full quantity of ash between my index finger and thumb and rubbed briskly. The hot ash never had a chance to burn my skin but did sere it dry and clean.

With, the same two, digits I stirred the froth on the surface of the liquid in the fire until it all disappeared.The boil of the drink in the calabash cup was plain to see now. There was no froth. No frills. Just as life at it’s boiling ready is without frills, without froth. This drink was what it was. And I am sure it looked like what it was. Only, my little child’s mind didn’t really know what that was.

I had to be directed each step of the ritual from that point. I had to be told to take the calabash cup off the fire with my index finger and thumb only. I was ordered not to spill any of the drink. I had to be told to walk slowly around the room and give each person a whiff. “Don’t make faces boy”, the shouts arose as I tried to fight the burn. “That drink will cool if you be cool boy”.

And strange it seems now from memory, the drink did cool … a bit. When I figured everyone in the room had sniffed, I stood, a dumb little boy holding this hot container. “Boy take the thing to Mamawa na”, the shouts seemed like slaps on my behind. I hadnt missed her presence up till now. I turned around and way back in a dark corner of the room sat Mamawa on her bed.

All I knew then is that this was the last place I saw her at night and the first place I saw her in the morning. In fact it was the only place I saw her these days. And it had been so for a while then.

I took the calabash cup to Mamawa. I wrapped her fingers around the rim. I expected this frail old lady to wince and spill the cup. But Mamawa took and held the calabash cup easily and firmly. “Pain from a hot calabash cup is nothing boy”, she eased my unspoken fears. “Sit down boy!”

“Mamawa, you forget my name too.. is ok Mamawa.” “I know is hard for you now.”

“Sit down boy, sit down and listen!” I snapped upright and sat down both at the same time. I knew Mamawa had a belt somewhere, always.

“I wont be at Mass tomorrow when the priest comes boy.” “I wont be at Mass! Dear Mary, I wont be at Mass for your boy.” “But this boy will be there for me!” “This is our youngest boy Dear Mary and he will be at Mass to pray for your Boy, Dear Mary, Mamawa of all our boys.”

And Mamawa talked to me almost all night. Talked to me about the village all night. Mamawa told me things about the village that I never knew and things about the village that I thought I knew, which were not true. Mamawa told me things that made me think about the very few Christmases I had known and and she told me things, which I would only know if I got to know many more Christmases.

And Mamawa even told me about the men who never came back from the Caribbean Sea and who would never
    come back. “But the priest said Jesus came back and good people come back Mamawa.”

“Boy, listen to your Mamawa.” “Remember my Mamawa boy.” “She gone a long time now boy… and she didn’t come back.” “But she tell me things and show me things that come back to me even now boy.” “Things that I show to everyone even to the ones who never come back from the Caribbean Sea boy”. “And they live those things that my Mamawa and Jesus showed me boy”. “And those things come back boy… and yes boy
    Jesus is right… those things come back especially from the good people boy… even the good people who never come back from the Caribbean Sea boy!”.

And Mamawa handed me the cold calabash cup and fell asleep. I stood up to run to Uncle. But everyone had left the room. How long ago I didnt know. I held the calabash cup straight and proper between my thumb and index finger. My skin felt sore against the rough calabash kernel for some reason.

Tears were running down my cheeks. I saw my friends running around helping to get the village ready for the priest. “You be easy”, Uncle said as he put his hands on my shoulder and gave me a calabash filled with the drink. “You be easy, the little boys will take care of the sweeping.”

I knew then that my ‘little boy years’ had ended.

• mount royal says:

many thanks for that evocative mystical memory

• slyCH says:

Dec. 11, 2008
      Brain, liver, stomach, you name it, every major organ, ravaged. There was only one part of the man left unaffected by the disease. His soul.

He was a proud father of 6, God fearing, humble, a hard working provider. He had no shame in his past. None. Yet there he was, emasculated, like countless others, and left to suffer. The last call made to the youngest, living abroad, consisted of fight and reassurance of victory against the enemy.

“No way am I going down from this. None.”

So he selected the aggressive treatment. It didn’t take long, the initial therapy was for not, and he was nothing but a shell hanging on a thread.
      Number 6 had scheduled a flight for the inevitable soon after the talk. Then re-scheduled an earlier flight after the treatment failure. He felt apprehension and was ready to reschedule again but was reassured by the other 5 that it was not necessary. He would make it in time.

A day before he was scheduled to fly, #6 fell asleep at his computer desk. It had been a hard time getting any sleep for a while, so exhaustion took hold, and slumber hit like a hammer.

It was the afternoon of Dec. 11, 2008.

Unbeknownst to #6 was the fact his father had been deliriously ill to the point of curiosity from the hospital staff.
      “Why is he still hanging on?” was a doctor’s mantra regarding him.
      “He’s a stubborn one” was another.
      But the Nuns finally asked the best question. “Is he waiting for someone.”

On the afternoon #6 fell asleep at his desk, his mother paid her last visit to the love of her life, and she whispered in the father’s ear, “You are in too much pain, let go, He will understand.” Fifteen minutes after that visit, Father was gone.

His soul paid a remarkable visit to my sleep, I can’t thank him enough for it.

Joyeux Noel.

31. HabFab says:

Happy Holidays to one and all!
    Enjoy this time with family and friends.
    Be cool and don’t play the fool… be safe!

32. Say Ash says:

Is Max’s kid taller than DD yet?

33. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Merry Christmas/Happy holidays to all the posters and staff at HIO. Thanks for all the discussions and laughs. Now for the eggnog…and rum! Woo-hoo!

34. frontenac1 says:

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays Amigos! Remember those less fortunate, both Human and Animal. Don’t drink and drive,please. Feliz Navidad and Saludos!

35. rljmartin says:

Happy Christmas to all from Cali, Colombia.

Looking at all the greetings and good tidings sure shows good sportsmanship at HIO. Maybe we need to get more of that and a little honor back into our game.

Thanks for the warm welcome I received here not so long ago…
    Still not married… Good thing she is patient…

Peace sure would be nice JB.

36. Max says:

Happy Christmas

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…don’t forget the Christ in Christmas

…remember Your blessings …remember this is the special day in Our year to remind the importance of peace, sharing and caring

…something that should be as important to all of Us day in and day out

…God bless You and Your families

…God bless this complex but awesome World We all live in

…Merry Christmas all

38. joeybarrie says:

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all the inside out community. Its things like this website, the Summit (thanks ian) and the fans in Montreal that make me appreciate the amazing things I enjoy and where I come from.
    Thank you all.
    May you all enjoy as much as possible.

PS Congrats MaxPac, a wonderful blessing. And great line (sorry DD, you are short)

39. JUST ME says:

To everyone at HIO i wish a peaceful and merry Christmas. Yes everyone. You know, on christmas eve even the annoying brother in law deserves respect…

Stay safe everyone and enjoy it full time. If you plan on drinking it is easy to say no to car keys!

40. Hobie Hansen says:

Merry Christmas to everyone in the HIO community and the Montreal Canadiens organization. Even Diaz, Desharnais and Briere ;-).

41. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Merry Christmas all you habsessed lunatics.

42. Stu Cowan says:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the entire HIO community. I wish you health and happiness along with quality time with your families.

43. JohnBellyful says:

Merry Christmas, everyone
    (Please don’t spoil the ending for others)

44. Mr. Biter says:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night and may Santa be good to everyone even the trolls.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

45. Davey93 says:

Happy Holidays all CH fans!! Hope we start the new year with a win on Saturday

Hope I see all of you in Church at midnight!
    Enjoy your families & Christ mas friends!
    All the best! Ian & Andree

47. JF says:

Happy holidays, everyone, and enjoy the break from agonizing over our Habs. May 2014 see the team take the next step.

48. fastfreddy says:

Happy Holidays to all the HIO people.
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

49. Sportfan says:

Merry Christmas to all HIO hope its a wonderful couple of days for you all!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

50. Plekasuares says:

Merry Christmas, may you all find MOAR BIGGER gifts than last year ;)

51. Bripro says:

My wife and I did some last minute shopping last night, and I nailed it.
    Got my summit gift for next year, at Boxing Day specials!
    Then, she conned me into wrapping (all friggin’ night) with her, in exchange for … other things.
    She passed out while I was on the very last gift. So I”m slow…. not my fault.
    So much for her exchange gift.
    Every year, she goes overboard. Every year, I can’t find my village for the gifts. Every year, is better than the next.
    I’m hoping our hockey season is the same.
    With little to no ridiculous trade speculations.
    I read where Front spent a fortune at the liquor commission.
    Who didn’t?
    But one thing I did make sure of…. there’s more single malt and Guinness to keep the guests coming.
    And anyone who passes through Corey Crawford’s home town, is welcome to raise a glass with yours truly!
    Cheers!

52. shiram says:

Happy holidays to everyone around here.
    Be safe and healthy everyone!

53. Bripro says:

Here’s to all of you, friend or (not so friend).
    To the antagonists, the argumentatists, the rationals and the not-so-much.
    To the orators and speculators, predictors and tankers.
    To the healthy and wise, the rich and the poor.
    To the summiteers, and the wish-you-could-have-been-there.
    It’s been a convoluted year, here.
    We’re always tested and tried, sometimes with success, and sometimes not so much.
    Everyone here for the love of the game, I offer you the best that a New Year can bring.
    Whether you’re a Habs fan or foe, I hope you were good, ’cause Santa will know.
    I wish good health to you and your loved ones, good fortune, and great rivalries.
    Today is the thrill of giving.
    Tomorrow? The Habs will give back.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Joyeuses Fêtes, and all the very best to everyone, without exception, for the coming year.

See you on the other side.

• habstrinifan says:

You’re obviously a very great lover of Xmas. You can feel the JOY and goodwill in every word almost.

Twas nice reading.

May Peace and happiness be yours this Christmas season and may many friends drop by to make it an enjoyably shared season.

Edit: This post was a reply to you lovely little story of shopping etc. .. and the wonderful invitation you posted to all HIO.

Cheers!

54. habsonly says:

Merry Christmas to everyone on HIO and to all you habs fans all over the world.
    Another hour of work and then its time for some Christmas cheer/beer.
    Happy Holidays all!!
    GO HABS GO!!!

• Bripro says:

Hi Cal.
      I read it when you posted it earlier. Great job.
      You stole my song for the next rendition.
      But I wouldn’t be able to live up to yours, so I’ll just wish you
      All the Very Best for the Holidays!
      Cheers, sir poet!

55. Maritime Ronn says:

Merry Christmas Eve to all the good folks on HIO
    Stay safe and always take care of the children.
    A random act of kindness is a beautiful thing.

Ok, folks. I am off to, what Front calls, a Saloon.

Merry Christmas to you and your families. Enjoy your holidays and come back stronger next year.

Cheers,

Timo

57. habsfan0 says:

Merry Christmas to one and all!

Power finally restored after a 40 hour outage.
    Sort of like the Habs’ offence,only not as long.

58. gmoan says:

I would take Gomez over DDH in a sec

59. shiram says:

Bettman upholds Thornton’s suspension

60. sprague cleghorn says:

Merry Christmas to all, and a hockey new year.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

61. ProHabs says:

I really don’t like the rumours going around that Bergevin is going to trade Gallagher and Beaulieu for Gomez.

62. frontenac1 says:

Big morning! Filled the Beer fridge in the man Cave, spent a bundle at the Liquor store,ready to settle in for some sports and Yuletide Cheer. Then Mrs Front hands me a grocery list,with strict instructions to get the groceries before the Saloon. After 30yrs, she knows me well. Saludos Amigos!

Half way in the season! Here is where your Hab’s place in this 30 team league.

Total points—-47. For 11th place. Last week 43 for 10th place.
    Conference—-47. For 4th place. Last week 43 for 3rd place.
    Division———47. For 3rd place. Last week 43 for 2nd place.
    Goals for——-96. For 21st place. Last week 88 for 19th place.
    Goals against-84. For 3rd place. Last week 75 for 6th place.
    Goals diff—–+12. For 11th place. Last week+13 for 10th place.

So how are we doing under Bergevin and Therrien this year.???

• JUST ME says:

For me they are doing better than i expected although the big question mark was to know wich Habs we would see this season , the surprising short season edition ot the bottom dwellers of a year before ?
      Statistically it does show that they are solid in every aspect of the game although we don`t always see it that way but 82 games is such an ordeal !

So although i tend to always be naively over optimistic i still think that they are doing better than i thought they would because our opponents seemed to have gotten better and the usual between season pessimistic stuff we hear and read…

Would be very satisfied and impressed if they kept this up in the new year and i aim for us to be the best in the conference and one day being able to compete with the west !

If not well i will still be happy about my Habs.

Have a merry christmas mister Ian !

64. adamkennelly says:

incident in my mens league – got the video because it was reviewed for suspension by USA hockey (guy got the entire season)..check out what happens between our goalie on the delayed penalty and this moron from the other team.

• DAVE. N says:

That was blatant. No suspension needed. Lifetime ban needed. That verges on assault with intent. I would have had him charged.

• ProHabs says:

What made the moron from the other team react like that. Is there some history there between him and the goalie or is he a known hot head. Unnecessary violence for sure. Nice to see a teammate jump to the goalies defence though. That is a team player.

• adamkennelly says:

stupid young kid fresh outta high school..no history – just plain stupidity….his face got busted up pretty good – he got tossed with a match and our guy got 2 minutes for roughing…..

65. Bring back Scott Gomez!

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

66. DAVE. N says:

I was on the fence about Hybrid Icing at the beginning, but I’ve become a fan; I believe the NHL got this one right. I would be curious to find out if there are stats that indicate how injuries have been reduced. I’m certain someone has that stat!
    Ryan who?

• Ian Cobb says:

Morning Dave. Good point! now can they get the head shots and boarding right!
      Have a nice Christmas !

• DAVE. N says:

Same to you and Andree, Ian.
        A lot of the Boarding I see is because the game has become so fast, there is a split second from a skater digging a puck with his back turned, or facing away from the play. Almost all Boarding I see is a crosscheck into the numbers. Just like head shots, sticks need to be kept down, and the only way that is going to happen is with deeper fines and suspensions. When the Organization has to match the fine; be unable to replace a suspended player for the duration of the suspension; and pay for the medical attention and insurance costs to the injured player, it will be reduced drastically.
        Hit ‘em in the pocket…works every time!
        or…for Christmas, every NHL player gets a DD size stick. I use them for the Cheese platter.

67. J Haul says:

Apparently Max lost his virginity. Why wasn’t I informed Stu?!

68. Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Posted in the wrong place. I was responding to Shiram.

Balanced opinion. Yet there are many (too many IMO) beating the drums for MT’s dismissal. Go figure.

Which is not to say that MT has worked miracles, but only that he deserves some credit for overseeing a team that most professional observers (notably RDS and TSN) say has overachieved since Therrien took the reigns. That said, I think NHL coaches in general get too much blame/credit for their team’s success or lack thereof. Take every team that’s won the Cup in the last decade. Is there even one about which you could rationally say, if it wasn’t for the coach they wouldn’t have won? I doubt it. Or from a different angle, can you name one coach in the same period, who’s taken a perennial bottom feeder and transformed them into a contender with only minor personnel changes? It begins and ends with the talent on the ice, field, court, or what have you. Period.

• shiram says:

I still dislike Therrien, but we really can’t complain too much about what he’s done.

• DAVE. N says:

I’m not certain I agree. Obviously, talent counts! However, see Oilers 2013/14 Islanders, 2013/14 line ups and I see an immense amount of young talent in the lower standings.
      Sure, the youth movements need to mature; but they need a coaching staff that can work within that talent, with a system built for that talent. One of the reasons everyone is so down on MT is that he has publicly stated ” You are a grinding team” as it pertains to this edition of the Habs.
      When a lot of your forwards appear to have been drafted from the Shire, pretty difficult to “grind” with your Division rivals for a playoff spot, never mind a Cup.
      Can I name a coach that won a Cup on his talent alone? Of course not. It takes years to build a team, and that vision starts at the owner and GM level. Coaches don’t normally last an entire period of transformation. Easier to fire and replace, unfortunately.
      I get your drift and you raise a great point that we the fans are impatient about our teams successes. We want immediate satisfaction and no Coach can provide that.

69. GL says:

I agree the Habs has done very well. The thing I don’t agree with is management bringing in deadwood and giving out contracts to players that don’t belong. Keep doing this and we will always be what we are a average team and average teams don’t win Stanley Cups. Should they make the playoffs usually gone after one round.

70. krob1000 says:

NEw playoff format is rarely discussed anymore…..gonna be messed up. RIght ow Philly and Rnagers are tired for last spot in their division at 38 pts…..
    Toroto holds last wildcard at 41 points….this means the HAbs only have a 6 pt playoff cushion as of right now…..under teh old format it would be a 9 point cushion….3 points is a big difference in the standings.

• mark-ID says:

Right now Toronto holds the 8th and final wildcard spot along with Detroit being the other wild card. So the Habs infact do have a 9 point cushion since the Rangers are the 9th place team at the moment.

Top 3 in both divisions get in….then the next top two from either division get the two wildcards.

71. Arnou Ruelle says:

Max Pacioretty just became a dad on Yesterday. Why are these journalists publishing reports of a possible trade? Its the Holiday Season for crying out loud!

Furthermore, MB has said it before that he will not make a trade. Those teams and journalists should stop pursuing for him.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, the media should stick to the World Juniors and other hockey topics with the exception of trades during the holiday season.

Since it was brought up, I would not trade Patches either and it a good thing that Gainey & Gauthier are gone. They may have traded Patches for Brassard!

Habfan17

72. shiram says:

Habs have so far this season, exceeded expectations.

Many thought they would not be in the running for a playoffs, or that they would be in the thick of things, fighting for a spot.
    But we’re nearly half-way through the season, and the Habs have a comfortable lead on the 2nd wildcard team, the Leafs, 6 points ahead, and the Leafs got a game in hand.

That’s not to say everything has been rosy, the team is still banking on those early points they got, since they have been struggling more recently.
    Goals per games, and especially goals scored at event strenght remain an issue.
    Probably related is the fact they don’t shoot as much as they did in the start of the season, their 28.8 shots per game ranking them 22nd in the league.
    Habs are tied, 3rd for the most major penalties.
    19th for PIM/games.
    And for the talk of this being a grinding team, Habs have the 4th less hits in the league.
    They lead in blocked shots, and the faceoffs is at 49.9%

It’s a work in progress, but it’s getting closer faster than I thought they would.

• B says:

The Habs have won 6 of their last 10. Only 4 teams in the East and 3 teams in the West have won more in their last 10.

–Go Habs Go!–

• shiram says:

Sure, and what matter is the win, but looking at the last 10 games, the Habs have alos been outscored 25-20.
        It’s a great thing that they managed to win those games, but they are not as dominant as they were at the start of the season.

• B says:

They had 2 stinkers in their last 10, but they outscored the other team 19 to 14 in the other 8. I am not losing sleep because their only 2 stinker games so far this season were recent. I agree with you that they are exceeding virtually every ones expectations so far, mine included. It’s been fun to see.

Merry Christmas!