Habs’ Emelin signs four-year contract extension

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday that defenceman Alexei Emelin has been signed to a four-year contract extension that will run through the 2017-18 season. The deal is reported to be worth $16.4 million, an average of $4.1 million per season.

Emelin hasn’t played since suffering a knee injury on April 6 against the Boston Bruins. He skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering the injury during Thursday’s practice in Brossard while wearing a no-contact jersey. The defenceman underwent reconstructive knee surgery on May 21 to repair both the aneterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments.

“We are very happy to have secured a long term agreement with Alexei,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defencemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”

Said Emelin, who thinks he might return to the lineup by mid-November: “I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team.”

In 38 games last season with the Canadiens, Emelin posted 3-9-12 totals and and led the team with 110 hits.

After practice Thursday, coach Michel Therrien confirmed that George Parros, sidelined since suffering a concussion in the season opener on Oct. 1, will play Friday night in Minnesota (8 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690) and that Carey Price will start in goal.

Max Pacioretty, who has been sidelined since Oct. 15 with a lower-body injury but practised Thursday, is expected to play this weekend. The Canadiens will be in Colorado Saturday to face rookie coach Patrick Roy and the Avalanche (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The two-game road trip will be a father/son event for the Habs. A number of the Habs fathers attended practice Thursday before heading out on the road with their sons. The only injured players who won’t make the road trip are Emelin, Travis Moen and Davis Drewiski.

Parros shaved off his trademark moustache on Thursday for the start of “Movember”. He then sent out this tweet, along with a photo of his clean-shaven face: “Day 1 is always a sad day… Donate in memory of my former facial hair”

Brandon Prust also shaved off his beard and moustache for “Movember”. His girlfriend, Maripier Morin sent out this tweet afterwards: “bye bye beard..hello movember @brandonprust8 !! #willmissyou #stache”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Leblanc
Blunden – White – Pacioretty
Parros

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Murray – Bouillon
Emelin – Pateryn

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Michael Farber special guest on this week’s HIO Show

Parros, Pacioretty set to return to Habs’ lineup, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Canadiens smart to get Emelin signed now, NHL.com

Father knows best, Canadiens.com

How Gauthier helped the Habs as GM, Sportsnet.ca

Sabres’ Scott suspended for seven games, NHL.com

Avs goalie Varlamov could be charged with assaulting girlfriend, montrealgazette.com

Avalanche trades Downie to Flyers for Talbot, NHL.com

Avalanche to retire Foote’s jersey Saturday, coloradoavalanche.com

Babcock’s leadership key to Canada’s repeat hopes at Olympics, NHL.com

Scary Goalie Masks (photo gallery), SI.com

Hockey Fright Night (photo gallery), SI.com

Spurgeon steps into leadership role with Wild, minnesotawild.com

1. Luke says:

New Thread.

(This Public Service Announcmenet is brought to you by the letter P and the letter K).

2. Mavid says:

I dislike the bug eyed fat walrus just as much as the next person, but he has alot of ne ne’s demoting his Captain to the third line..that otta deflate his head just a little..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• mdp2011 says:

Isn’t obvious that Maclean clearly hates Spezza and doing everthing in his power so he doesn’t make team Canada.

• Mavid says:

No I don’t see that, Spezza rubs alot of people the wong way with his arrogant attitude, and he should not make team Canada because he is not good enough. When you look at the available players he is way down the list as far as elite players go..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

3. Luke says:

Big weekend of hockey ahead.

Watching Ekblad and the Barrie Colts tonight and McDavid and the Erie Otters tomorrow.

Possibly the first overall picks in the next two NHL drafts.

Recording, and watching on delay, the Habs games.

Should be interesting to say the least.

I hope I have enough beers.

4. SteverenO says:

Regarding the Subban vs Karllson debate:

There is not much difference between the two players,statistically, at even strength. The BIG differnce is on the PP.

Where PK excels and is among the top 5 in the league in terms of PP productivity (one PPG scored every 5.5 minutes, Karllson is Not very good on the PP. This season AND last season the Sen’s have scored one PPG every 10 mins when he is on with the man advantage .

The truth is that the SENS PP is more effective WITHOUT Karllson at the point. It’s another example of a great offensive talent, like Gallagher, who thrives on fast break offense and quick transition plays, but does not do so well within the structure play required with the man advantage

regards,

Steve O.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t think many will agree with your claim that Karlsson is not very good on the PP.

Your evidence, that the Sens score on PP goal every 10 mins with Karlsson, is not enough to justify what you say. How many goals do they score without Karlsson? And what does Karlsson do to help or hinder the PP other than goal scoring? Maybe he is very good and making plays and controlling the puck, and perhaps it is his linemates that are not burying the chances he creates.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habcertain says:

stats don’t always tell the story.

• SteverenO says:

valid points. The sens have enjoyed 58 minutes of 5 on 4 time this season and have scored 7 PP goals An average of one PPG every
        8.25 minutes.

Karlsson has played 49 of the 58 minutes and has been on for 5 of the PPGs,an average of one goal every 10 minutes. In the 9 minutes that KArlsson was NOT on the PP the team has scored 2 PPGs.

Last season : the Sens overall averaged one PPG every 10 minutes (255 mins /25 PPGs) .

With Karlssonin the ice : one PPG every 15 mins (76 mns /5 PPGS)
        With KarlSSON not on the ice: One PPG every 9 minutes (179/ 20).

Does is seem like Karlsson is a positive factor on the PP?
        What else he may do to help the PP, making, plays controlling the puck, is , in my opinion, irrelevant.

I am not a NHL coach but, I can’t imagine any of them would be satisfied with controlling the puck and not scoring when they have a man advantage.

The reason I don’t care whether many, or most ,agree with me is because I am not stating my opinions, I am offering facts. Facts ,which are not in dispute. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, be they right, or wrong. People are free to “claim” that Karlsson is effective on the PP but the data shows otherwise.

if you use each two minutes of ice time as a ” PP opportunity” on Karlsons last 62.5 PowerPlay Opps the Sens have been successful 10 times , a “batting” average of .160.

Over the same time period Subban has 129 Pp Opps and the Habs have scored 40 times an average of .310

I don;t think that I am going out on a limb when I say that Karlsson is NOT very effective on the PP, do you?

regards,

Steve O.

5. Old Bald Bird says:

Eric Engels ‏tweeted this, spread over 2 tweets. I don’t know if it adds to our discussion or not, but I think it’s a slightly different point than what has been raised so far.

“I have never said there is an issue between Subban and the coaching staff/management team but #habs should concern themselves with allowing this to be common perception.”

6. Max says:

I expect Gionta will play out the year in Montreal and walk as a FA.If the habs are on the outside looking in with no chance come trade deadline day, he may get dealt for a 2nd rounder.He’s pretty easy to replace from either within the organization or via trade or free agency.20 goal,40 point guys are around and younger.His leadership as captain seems iffy at best and his diminutive stature certainly doesn’t help him at this stage of his career.

I think Markov will and should be resigned for 2 years at about4.5-5 million.You can’t find veteran defensemen like that just anywhere and I don’t like the thoughts of Markov wearing another jersey.I hope he retires with the CH.

7. SteverenO says:

In response to earlier people questioning the fact that Gallagher is NOT productive on the PP here is my reply ( repeat of earlier post to move it to the top of thread)

That information is readily available , here is a small example.

Galchenyuk: 37 pp min TOI – 4 PP goals
    Gallagher: 33 PP mins TOI – 2 PP goals

The Gallys were togetheron the PP for very close to 30 minutes.

So when Galchenyuk played with Gallagher — 30minutes there were two goals , scored ,When Galchenyuk played WITHOUT Gallagher 2 goals were scored in 7 minutes.

Last season Eller played 32.5 minutes on the PP. 5 PP goals Scored
    Last season Gallagher played 103.5 minutes on the PP 9 PP goals scored. The two played together for only 9 minutes.

This season Eller has played 29:12 on the PP
    This season Gallagher has played 33:24 on he PP . Both have been on for two goals. they have been on together for 28 minutes – maximum of two goals scored while they were on together.

Guy’s its simple mathematics. Besides what would be the harm in playing someone else in place of Gallagher on the PP. The alternative is to have him play with other people and leave Eller and Galchenyuk off the PP. Continuing to lay these three guys together on the PP (unless its for experience when the game is NOT on the line) is counter productive. Besides when he played with DD and Pacioretty they were not productive, either. So who should Gally be paired with on the PP?

My point is that when something is so clearly and obviously not working, why can’t we expect , even demand, changes?

everyone is so down on Desharnais,. Desharnais was our trip producing PP forward when he played with Pacioretty and Cole. When he played with Pacioretty and Gallagher, both Desharnais ‘ and Pacioretty PP numbers went down by a lot.

There is no doubt that Gallagher is a tremendous asset and a very potent offensive weapon AT EVEN STRENGTH.

Why is it so hard for people to accept the FACT that he is NOT now, and never has been a productive member of the PP unit.

Here is the proof;
    Player- year- Minute per GF es – Mins per GF PP

Gallagher-2014- 23 Mins PerGoal — 17 Mins per PPG
    Gallagher-2013- 14 Mins PerGoal — 12 Mins per PPG

Gionta -2014- 27 Mins PerGoal — 5.1 Mins per PPG
    Gionta -2013- 26 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Bourque: 2014- 43 Mins PerGoal — 6.1 Mins per PPG
    Bourque 2013- 29 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Plekanec:2014- 22 Mins PerGoal — 4.3 Mins per PPG
    Plekanec:2013- 22 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Desharnais: 2014- 56 Mins PerGoal — 7.9 Mins per PPG
    Desharnais: 2013- 20 Mins PerGoal — 8.7 Mins per PPG

Gallagher is one of a very small group of NHL players that do NOT enjoy a big boost in their Goals per minutes production when playing with the man advantage.

It s a no-brainer, really.

regards,

Steve O.

8. TheDagger says:

Just watched the latest 24CH. How about that, Al MacIsaac another Antigonisher (hometown of everyone’s favorite walrus) presenting Stephane Waite with his cup ring. What a town!

9. JA says:

What happened to Christian Thomas which we got for Danny Kristo from the Rangers, he is not on Hamilton’s roster or Hamilton’s echl team. Does anyone know.

10. Luke says:

Not sure if this made the rounds yesterday, but here it is:

TSN just posted the link.

‘Member when Burkie said he’d be less visible?

• bwoar says:

Great piece. He hits all the important points and is respectful of opposing views. Wish more people who agreed with fighting in the NHL would be so articulate and respectful.

“thoroughbred”

I disagree, see below. I understand some fights, I understand it will never go away, but lets not pretend fighting keeps the game safer it isn’t.

• habcertain says:

how do you know that, if it has always been in the game at this level? who’s to say other forms of violence won’t increase, as Burke points out.

I had posted the other day Luke, interesting read. My question to the Windbag, (assuming he isn’t busy with tv personalities in the Calgary region) why is that when Calgary vs. Toronto, there was a fight two minutes into the game, yet later in the same game Ashton delivered a dangerous hit to a Calgary player? I thought fighting was this magical elixir which immediately grants Super Safety to all players. Yet here in the exact same game where Gladiators have proven their genitalia size by fighting for zero reason two minutes into a game, dirty hits still occur.

Burke in hindsight seems to have built a pretty competitive Maple Leaf team, but his reasons for wanting fighting seem a stretch.

Be honest Burkie, you love watching players fight and so do your fans, that is why fighting is still in the game, Period.

11. montreal ace says:

PK looks a touch depressed at the start of the video above, I wish he could lighten up and be a little less serious.

12. jeffhabfan says:

Guys I was talking to my brother yesterday and he feels that Gio and Marky will be gong for sure next year because we do not have alot of money and we have to sign Eller and P.K. among others next year. I feel that we will lose Gio and replace from within and I feel that we will keep Marky for about the same money as this year. He also said to trade both this year for youth because if we make the playoffs we are to small to win a round anyway what do you guys think.

Markov to me is either 1A or 1B presently on our team for defencemen. MB I would hope and think, will make every effort to re-sign Markov. Obviously things like what kind of term and contract he will accept will determine what happens.

As for Gionta, he is a good player, but unfortunately, I believe this is his last season as a Hab, and may even get traded by the deadline.

My guesses to your questions Jeff.

• SmartDog says:

Habs won’t trade Gio and Markov if we are likely to make the playoffs. They just wouldn’t. I think it would be a good idea (Gionta especially.. Markov is not so replaceable)… but it won’t happen.

I would be surprised if they offered Gionta an extension. We have a lot of young guns in our system, and size is still an issue. And his money will go to Eller.

I would not be surprised if they re-upped Markov but it would need to be for less money.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• habcertain says:

we first have to determine that we will, in fact, be able to re-sign PK before deciding about Markov.

13. montreal ace says:

The playoff system that makes us a wild card team this morning sucks. I really hope the league can come up with a better format. I am not going to take it very well if we miss the playoffs, with more points then another team.

14. Mattyleg says:

Someone linked this on FB, and I read it.
    Very interesting!

This is especially good reading for anyone who thinks that Berkshire never admits that he’s wrong! ;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Say Ash says:

Didn’t Subban have a hatty that last time they were in Minny?

16. Ozmodiar says:

I expect Gionta to be gone next year. Otherwise, the money is there to sign most others.

Assuming a cap of $69M, it could look something like this**. If there’s concern over the bonuses, or if the cap comes in lower than this, they can just buy out Briere. They can do the same if they want to promote LL, or sign a free agent (Murray, Bouillon, or external). N8 can be a call-up.

** not trying to guess what the line-up will be

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
    My Custom Lineup
    FORWARDS
    Michael Bournival ($0.870m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Rene Bourque ($3.333m)
    Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Lars Eller ($4.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
    Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($3.500m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m)
    Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.935m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
    Louis Leblanc ($1.251m) / George Parros ($0.938m)
    DEFENSEMEN
    Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / P.K. Subban ($7.750m)
    Alexei Emelin ($4.100m) / Josh Gorges ($3.900m)
    Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) / Raphael Diaz ($3.225m)
    Davis Drewiske ($0.638m) /
    GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($6.500m)
    Peter Budaj ($1.400m)
    ——
    CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $69,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,116,333; BONUSES: $2,907,500
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,091,167

17. Mattyleg says:

Steel; I agree with you that this is a forum for discussion and speculation. It’s great that you are on board with this!

My issue is people who feel the need to fill their speculation and discussion with “MT is an idiot if…” and “MB clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing because…”

That sort of thing goes beyond speculation and discussion and into the “I am so clever, I know so much better” realm, which I (and other posters) find particularly provoking.

I was thinking about this the other day, and realized that everyone can look at an individual instance, have an opinion about it, and be proven more right than management. Like with signing contracts, or managaging ice-time, etc. But the conclusion I came to is that there are many, many of these decisions made day in/day out by management, and it’s the consistency of this decision-making that makes all the difference. We may be right some of the time, but the odds of us being right more times than MB, with our limited knowledge, etc. is pretty unlikely.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. Strummer says:

Habs are in Minnesota tonight.

My shout-out to Minny

and to the Habs- “we’re gonna make it after all”

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

19. joeybarrie says:

So is everyone just agreed PK Subban will be absolutely be signed as the highest paid Defenseman in the league….
    He is going to get more money than Stamkos, Kopitar, Gaborik….
    Almost Crosby and Malkin money?

I think people are assuming a gross overpayment for PK.
    Ryan Suter got as a Free Agent 7.5 million for 13 years on a ridiculous contract.
    To me 6.75 over 6 years is fair. But given Emelin’s contract, maybe 7.25, but to me that’s the highest.
    Karlsson still outperforms PK in stats and he got 6.75 for 7 years.

I think people thinking he is going to get 8 million are crazy. I hope PK signs for something reasonable… I hope we dont get another situation where a player will sign elsewhere to be paid a little more.

• shiram says:

Good points, but it seems to me Bergevin as a tendency for slight overpayments, maybe it’s because of the taxes here, but that’s how I see it.
      PK is still a RFA, so the only way he signs elsewhere is an offer sheet the Canadiens does not match.

• ianism says:

this is true…. but it is very conceivable that another team could indeed just offer more money to nab him. hopefully PK will want to keep playing here because he likes it rather than it being where he’ll make the most money.
        i do not think they need to re-sign Gionta though, and Markov should definitely get a shorter contract. I’m not sure he’ll last if he gets badly hurt again…

• shiram says:

I honestly don’t see a team that would offer PK an offer sheet that the Canadiens would not match.
          We got the money to do it.

• slyCH says:

With PK RFA the chances of another team trying to sign him are slim since they know how deep the Hab’s pockets are. The only scenario I see would be the Bruins trying to unite brothers and to stick it to the team. But generally, teams show respect and restraint when it comes to RFA’s… I hope.

• The Jackal says:

Karlsson outperforms PK? I’m not sure this is correct…

PK is the best D in the East, that is for sure.
      Not saying I want PK to get 8 by 8, 7 by 8 would be ideal, but let’s stop saying that Karlsson and others are “better” or outperforming him. PK has eclipsed those guys.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• joeybarrie says:

Karlsson has 11 points this season, tied with PK.
        He plays more minutes, and he has a staggering 111 points in his last 118 games. Whereas PK has 93 points in his last 148.
        To be honest, they still dont compare.

I love PK, but it seems he is thought of around here as the next Bobby Orr, as we always think our stars are either much better or much worse than they truly are.

• Mattyleg says:

Karlsson is tied for second in the NHL for Giveaways by defencemen, with 18 in 12 games.

Subban doesn’t even crack the top 30.

I know that this is hardly a scientifically-accurate stat, but it is indicative. I’ve seen some of Karlsson’s clangers; they’re doozies that have often resulted in goals.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• joeybarrie says:

I think maybe a set of 13 specific games is not a good indicator of giveaways for comparison.
            PK 131 g 143 giveaways
            EK 110 g 120 giveaways

AVERAGE 1.09 giveaways per game each. Exactly the same.

• The Jackal says:

That’s not a comparable sample. PK is not the same player he was for the first half of those 148 games. He’s been a beast for us, and is on pace for a tonne of points this season. Karlsson racks up points too, but PK is better than him in every facet of the game. So what if Karlsson plays a bit more? That’s actually a knock on him because PK puts up more points with less ToI.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Old Bald Bird says:

Call me crazy, then. He’ll surely attempt 8/8, and his case will be good. I understand that he can’t sign elsewhere yet unless some team is willing to sign an offer sheet. I would hope that the Habs would match, but I get a queasy feeling sometimes.

• jamman says:

I feel ya. Karlsson can also quarter-back better than P.K.

• doc359 says:

“Karlsson still outperforms PK ”
      Wrong. Karlsson scores a few more points but PK is dominate when he is on the ice. I’d take PK of Karlsson any day and I’m fine with paying for that

• joeybarrie says:

Karlsson is 23 years old, has 163 points in 233 reg sea games.
        PK is 24 years old, has 114 points in 202 reg sea games.

So exactly how does Karlsson not outperform PK.
        Ottawa BEAT US last season in the playoffs.
        KARLSSON WON….

• Mattyleg says:

Haha!
          Not really…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• doc359 says:

There are many more things than putting up points in an NHL game. PK has a far better all-round game than Karlsson.

Look at PK’s Fenwick and Corsi numbers, he is a beast.

• The Jackal says:

That does not mean Karlsson won, specially if you look at PK’s season last year and his start this year. Karlsson is a good D but he is not that good in his own end and he does not play physical. PK produces more points, is better defensively, and puts fear into opposing forwards.

PK has already won.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

20. Stevie.Ray says:

Finally, Pacioretty is on the fourth line.

21. The Jackal says:

Our favourite hockey expert and armchair GM, Pierre McGuire, has some words to say about PK, the dumb uproar regarding him not being on the ice in the final minutes of a game, and on the stupid idea that he has defensive deficiencies – makes some good points and says that if PK does not make the team, that it is a total joke, and I’m sure this is one thing we can all agree with Pierre for once.

He talks about this at around the 14 minute mark.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

In the last 5 to 7 minutes of the last game on TSN (Tuesday or Wednesday) PK Subban made 3 BRILLIANT defensive plays below the circles in his own end that went completely noticed by the TSN announcers.

• joeybarrie says:

While slightly creepy and seemingly boastingly opinionated…. He does usually know exactly what he speaks of.
      I feel like he is usually right or at least fairly accurate.

• The Jackal says:

He does know his hockey and makes good points, people just like to bash him because he comes off as arrogant sometimes or like a know-it-all.

But he makes good points about the match up situation and how it’s not a thing you should worry about – in other words, MT does not have some anti-PK agenda.

______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

22. D Mex says:

John Scott suspended 7 games for illegal hit to the head.
    - According to the voice-over in video released by the league’s department of player safety, it’s not that Scott threw an elbow – rather, it’s the follow-thru of the elbow after the hit on Ericsson.
    - According to the same video, Scott has thrown 217 hits in his career so, basically, knows how to throw a legal hit.

Did anyone see the follow-thru from Chara’s elbow on the Pacioretty hit ?
    Anyone know how many hits Chara has thrown in his career ?

This pretty much seals it for me :
    Shanny’s department of player safety would have more credibility at the Just for Laughs festival than it does with professional hockey. Not good.

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

A reason MB must sign PK sooner than later is the cap space remaining. If indeed MB were to sign multiple players and by the time PK’s negotiations get serious the cap is known for next year, other teams could poach him much easier.

For example, if MB signed Diaz, Markov and Eller, and had 6.5million cap space left for next year, Another team could offer sheet 7mill. per and Montreal couldn’t match without having to trade players etc…

I would assume MB and the teams capologists are more than aware of this basic premise. But one does assume PK gets signed before 3 or more other contracts are completed.

• Luke says:

We don’t know what the cap is for next year. It will presumably increase, but not sure by what margin.

Now I’m sure Habs Hockey Ops has a prediction model… and I remember radio heads expecting a 70 million cap for next season…

And if you have trade plex to keep PK. I’d trade Plex.

But look at the Leafs… they had Franson and Kadri to sign this season and 2 million to do it and they signed Raymond plus those two and still fit them in under the 62m cap.

They’ll sort it out.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Whatever happens Brier’s contract looks like a big problem IMO.
      I think Diaz + Emelin would make an excellent 2nd pair of defencemen on any NHL team and they make Josh Gorges a #5 defenceman at 5-on-5, who kills penalties, but can’t play the PP, and he makes too much money for that job. I think his contract needs to go, but unlike Briere I think lots of team would take Josh Gorges.

• bwoar says:

I don’t think we need to worry too much. Diaz or even Markov could simply not be re-signed. And there are teams we could offload players to as the cap goes up next year.

I wouldn’t sign Markov to a contract until the Spring, and I would be trying to trade Diaz anyhow. I kind of expect Eller to go until Xmas, maybe longer, as the brass figure out where his ceiling actually is. I’d want to see him in the playoffs, frankly, before committing to a number.

“thoroughbred”

Has anyone seen tweets as to who sits for Parros?

25. joeybarrie says:

7 players still to sign/re-sign for next season. Including PK, Markov, Diaz, Eller, Gionta and 2 fourth liners.
    It is going to be tight for MB.
    PK 6-7.5 million a season
    Markov 5 million
    Eller 3-4 million
    Diaz 1.5-2 million
    Gio 4 million???

That’s our cap space there alone and 2 players missing.
    Emelin getting 4.1 million is a good sign that MB has a specific plan and thinks its very achievable.
    I see a trade in the future?
    Markov and Pleks are two of my favorite players (although i do love anyone in a CH) hate to see them go, but their value is so high, in my opinion.
    I think its going to be a rocky season in that regard.
    I feel something big is going to happen.

• TheDagger says:

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mr. Biter says:

No for AM at $5M.

Mr. Biter
        No Guts No Glory

• Sean Bonjovi says:

Gio’s been our 2nd best forward behind Pleks for the last couple of weeks, and Diaz has been our 3rd best defenceman all season way behind Subban, just behind Markov, and miles ahead of all the rest. Also, Lars Eller isn’t worth as much as Max Pacioretty, and Pacioretty actually scored 30 goals in a season before he signed his deal.

• rhino514 says:

I agree with those numbers generally speaking, though I think Markov could maybe settle for closer to 4 million this time around.
      Again, it´s soooo frustrating that they didn´t need to sign Briere at all, I´ll never understand how GMs can tie their hands up with moves like these.
      The only good thing I see is that Gionta is no longer a must keep for the club. If it gets too tight, they at least have the option to not re-sign him. I´d rather keep him because of his clutch play and leadership, but it will not kill the team to lose him.
      I suspect personally they can get it done with or without Gio; the tragedy would be that they let Gio go BECAUSE of the cap space, and not because they wanted to. His play from here on till the end os the season will also be closely watched; if he shows no signs of slowing down, he is still a valuable player.

• Strummer says:

Gio gotta go.
        There’s no room for 3 undersized guys in your top 9.
        Gallegher’s younger and cheaper right now (and pretty effin good I might add).
        DD’s contract is unmovable.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

26. Le Jadester says:

IF our top 4 D moving forward (Medium to Long term i.e next 2 to 4 years) looks like:

Subban – Emelin
    Beaulieu – Tinorodi

I’m pretty happy with that !

I’m Liking Murray thus far too. I know its early and yes he’s a bit slow….he looks good in our uniform pounding on the opposition’s forwards !

Habs, OLE !

27. WVHabsfan says:

Working on my satchel

28. Sportfan says:

As a Bengals fan that one hurt last night, here’s what I had to say

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

29. Steeltown Hab says:

Just want to be clear this is a place for DISCUSSION, for die hard fans. If people are questioning the moves of management and coaching, why are you shocked this is part of being a fan and our right. Guess what, management in the NHL make tones of mistakes (see: Milbury, Gainey, etc.) so saying they’re professional and know better than us what they’re doing it’s like why are you even posting here.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Timo says:

I never bought “they now what they are doing” argument. If you worked anywhere in your life you know there are incompetent people absolutely every where and in every position.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I agree, Steel, although I think sometimes we forget that a coach or GM sees both the detail and the big picture in ways to which we fans simply are not privy. This makes some of our passionate speculation and outbursts of pent-up frustration just silly.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Absolutely and a lot of the time the ego’s personal friendships and subjectivity of the people on the inside are missing out on the big picture.

Watch MB give Diaz an early extension I would not be shocked although it’d be a bad move.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

Why would it be a bad move?

He’s certainly a decent defensman.

I think he’ll be easier to sign than PK simply due to the $ amount and complexity of the contract that PK’s going to receive
          (I reckon 8years at $7.5-8mm-ish per, NMC/NTC which I think is fair).

I don’t see why extending Diaz early is a bad move, unless you are saying that extending him (period) is a bad move.

• ont fan says:

Worked on the floor and in management. Long term decisions made are not easly explained. Sometimes you’re right, other times you’re not. There seems to be a lot of hockey guys at the helm so I will defer.

• Sportfan says:

They are finally waking up and smelling the fill in the blank?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• jedimyrmidon says:

I’m glad there are articles like this. It just boggles my mind that people want to keep gifting DD chances to produce.

He is not the type of player you want to waste good ice time on to get him going. Just looking at what he brings to the table, i.e., his hockey skills (skating, shooting, passing) and physical attributes (lack of size, strength, speed) and the type of ice time he gets (quality offensive minutes), reveals that the Habs would be foolish to pin their hopes on DD unlike a guy like Eller who skates better, has size (height and mass) and has a good balance of shooting and passing ability – that’s a guy you give every chance to succeed.

Alright… what are we doing today? Still talking about Subban and Therrien? It’s easy. Subban rocks. Therrien sucks. There. No more reason to discuss.

Waiting to see what the lines are like in practice today. I imagine Parros takes Blunden’s spot.

31. JM says:

Varlamov – I don’t get it. Why does a guy put himself in a situation like this in the first place. A Guy has to be a yellow B——d to beat the crap out of a woman. It is so easy to say I’ll see you later. Lots of beautiful women out there. If your with a woman and it comes down to beating the crap out of her. For sure there’s no Love there so why hang around. I’ve been married 36 years and never once raised a hand or fist to my wife and never will. When it comes down to that I’ll know I’m no longer wanted believe it or not I’ll move on. I was brought up never to hit a woman no matter what. I have no use for Guys like that. Hope he gets the max. Move on. Be a real man not a woman beater!!

32. montreal ace says:

I find it incredulous, that some people think MT has a big hate on for PK, as such an issue would not be tolerated by Geoff Molson. The owner and president of the Montreal Canadiens, is not going to let anyone devalue one of his assets, or have a coach who makes decisions that seem motivated by lack of character. I find that one of the strengths we have at the moment is how players are treated with respect, by Habs management. Our general manager sees a future with players coming from a strong farm team, so with all the injuries we have had, he gets big points for sticking with his program. MT has proven from our placement last season, and the start of this season to be a fine coach, who utilizes his staff and players strengths. PK is a fine young man, with hockey skills that people pay big money to see. Geoff Molson will not let anyone undermine one of his biggest assets, and tarnish the club with petty character issues.

• mount royal says:

I think that you are right and I think that all of these rumours really spring from a rather sick desire to capitalize and/or sensationalize on the possibility of hate amongst a minority of readers/consumers; either towards Subban for his race, or Therrien for his language.

33. habsfan0 says:

As today marks the start of “MOVEMBER” when people will be growing mustaches to draw attention to the issue of prostate cancer, it would be nice if as many people as possible on HIO would grow some hair on their upper lip for the next 30 days. Many Habs will be doing this, including Price,Prust,Subban,Parros, and Gionta, among others.
    As evidenced by my avatar, I’ve already gotten a head start in the follicular department.

So, to all members of the HIO Community…Start your mustaches!

And yes Mavid and L Elle, I mean you too!

34. Mr. Biter says:

Fact not fiction: Habs tied with Leafs for #2 spot for total fights (11) in 2013 season so far. Sens tied for last with one.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• Luke says:

5 of the 11 were in game #1.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Has Colton Orr fought a lot since concussing Parros with his dirty pull-down move? I’m thinking he’s been quite subdued since then. Something tells me he has a guilty conscience.

• Luke says:

1) I don’t personally think it was a dirty pull down move.
          2) It may actually have been a dirty pull down move, so you may be right. I just hope it wasn’t.
          3) I don’t think he’s fought since. No.

• Mr. Biter says:

I also don’t think it was done on purpose by Orr as when your falling down you grab the closest thing to you and that was Parros. Strange though that he has not had a fight since the incident.
            Also in the split second as he was falling down I highly doubt Orr was thinking “if I grab Parros right now and pull him down just right he will do a face plant on the ice.

Mr. Biter
            No Guts No Glory

• Luke says:

Priobably more of a “if I’m going down so are you” thought, or even as you infer, a ‘keep my balance’ attempt

35. SteverenO says:

Any sports reporters out there?

Here’s a question that I would love to hear someone ask Coach Therrien, or even an assistant coach, the following question.

“The Canadiens as a team have scored a PP goal on average once every seven minutes. Are you aware of the fact when Gallagher has been on the ice, (33 minutes of PP time so far this season), the Habs have scored only 2 goals?

If the answer to first question is no…..

WHY NOT?

If the answer is yes.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT IT?

If the answer is …stats are not indicative,or it’s too small a sample size to be meaningful.

….LAST SEASON GALLAGHER played 103 Minutes on the PP. The team scored a PP goal every 12 minutes with Gallagher on the ice and every 7 minutes when Gallagher was NOT on the ice. How long does it take to make a change when something is clearly not working?

****************************************************

I understand it may not be a good career move to question a coaches decisions, but for the good of the team, I was kind of hoping that someone might be willing to ask the “tough” questions.

regards,

Steve O.

• BJ says:

Interesting question. Another question might be who was on the ice for a goal per 7 minutes and who was Gallagher on with for a goal every 12 minutes?

• SteverenO says:

That information is readily available , here is a small example.

Galchenyuk: 37 pp min TOI – 4 PP goals
        Gallagher: 33 PP mins TOI – 2 PP goals

The Gallys were togetheron the PP for very close to 30 minutes.

Last season Eller played 32.5 minutes on the PP. 5 PP goals Scored

This season Eller has played 29:12 on the PP

Guy’s its simple mathematics. Besides what would be the harm in playing someone else in place of Gallgher on the PP. The alternative is to have him play with other people and leave ELler and GAlchenyuk off the PP. Continuing to lay these three guys together on the PP (unless its for experience when the game is NOT on the line) is counter productive.

Here is the proof;
        Player- year- Minute per GF es – Mins per GF PP

Gallagher-2014- 23 Mins PerGoal — 17 Mins per PPG
        Gallagher-2013- 14 Mins PerGoal — 12 Mins per PPG

Gionta -2014- 27 Mins PerGoal — 5.1 Mins per PPG
        Gionta -2013- 26 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Bourque: 2014- 43 Mins PerGoal — 6.1 Mins per PPG
        Bourque 2013- 29 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Plekanec:2014- 22 Mins PerGoal — 4.3 Mins per PPG
        Plekanec:2013- 22 Mins PerGoal — 6 Mins per PPG

Desharnais: 2014- 56 Mins PerGoal — 7.9 Mins per PPG
        Desharnais: 2013- 20 Mins PerGoal — 8.7 Mins per PPG

It s a no-brainer, really.

regards,

Steve O.

• Cal says:

Reporter: Habs are 8-5 with a depleted roster. So, when Pacioretty is out with an injury, why is Gallagher on the PP?

Isn’t it just a question of who is playing that night? Your stats reveal nothing and conceal who Gallagher had on the ice with him for every minute he’s played on the PP.

• Ozmodiar says:

Coach would probably say something about Gallagher being a rookie last year, and that he is still developing, learning, etc.

He might add that there’s more to coaching than statistics.

• Supersonic says:

coaches probably don’t know and don’t care much for thoses stats. For example, most hockey people around the league love Price even when he had below average stats. Gallagher has talent, you dont need stats to prove talent

• SteverenO says:

so at the end of the game the team with the most talent wins, right?

Funny , I thought the victory is awarded to the team that scores the most goals. Are you saying that a coach would rather play the most talented players on the powerplay, than the player who produces the most goals?

regards,

Steve O.

36. joshua94k says:

Is Subban a high risk player?

This is utter nonsense created by the media who have their own agenda and do not research the facts.

Linked below Is an excellent article debunking the media-made myth that Subban is a high risk player…

Any statement based on the assumption that PK Subban is a risk-taker and/or a liability in the defensive-zone is both without fact, and irresponsibly vague.

A risk/taker does not produce an above-average puck-possession success-rate. A liability doesn’t have the second-best defensive-zone passing success-rate on his team both this season and last year. If we are going to have an informed conversation about PK Subban’s play, we need to base our views on facts, rather than perceptions.

Simply put, when PK Subban has the puck on his stick in the defensive-zone he loses possession only 24.6% of the time. The average turnover rate produced by Montreal defensemen is 29.6%.

Expressed even more simply, PK has produced substantially more successful plays with the puck on his stick in the defensive-zone than any other Montreal defenseman.

Expressed another way, over the span of 20 even-strength minutes played, Subban would produce an average of 31 successful puck-possession plays in the d-zone, while the average Habs d-man would produce 25. This translates to 6 fewer d-zone giveaways per-game with Subban.

The Canadiens have coach who does not believe in Subban.

Earlier this week coach Michel Therrien sent Andrei Markov, Subban’s regular partner, out with Francis Bouillon in the final two minutes of a 2-0 game at Madison Square Garden.

On Tuesday, with Montreal clinging to a 2-1 lead against Dallas, Therrien nailed Subban to the bench for the final 2:56, and threw the statuesque Douglas Murray on the ice alongside Markov.

Though Dallas generated a couple of quick scoring chances, the Habs held on.

Therrien was asked if that’s a function of Subban’s defensive ability, reliability and maturity on Thursday, and said this: “I look at his ice time, he has more ice time this year than he did last year, his progression is part of the equation here.”

Subban is averaging 24 minutes 33 seconds a game, a little over 1:20 more than last year, when he started the season late after a brief contract dispute (by way of comparison, the league leader in ice time, Minnesota’s Ryan Suter, averages nearly 29 minutes).

But this year’s average is only 15 seconds more per game than in 2011-12 under Jacques Martin and Randy Cunneyworth, and just over two minutes more per game than in his first full season in the NHL in 2010-11.

And Subban’s average on the penalty kill is 1:01 per game, almost half a minute less than last year and the lowest of his career (he has played a grand total of 1:45 while short-handed in the past four games, 1:44 of it came in a win over Anaheim).

“I want to kill somebody cutting across the blue line and I want to score the goal and celebrate. And I’ll do it by any means possible to win a hockey game. That’s how I feel playing there (the Bell Centre). I am not sure I have that feeling anywhere else.” – PK Subban

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Subban as High-Risk — blown out of the water. Nice one Josh.

We know that the media is simply a ravenous monster that must be fed every day. If I’m David Duchovny, however, I’m thinking there’s more to the manufacture of this rumour than mere media mischief…

But I’m not, and I say PK’s play between now and Sochi will copperfasten his spot on Team Canada.

Imagine if PK were to get the agent who negotiated Kobe Bryant’s contract.

SportsCenter ✔ @SportsCenter
    Because of how he negotiated his contract, Kobe Bryant gets most of his salary in one payment. Today, he’ll make a cool $24.4 million.