Habs’ Emelin signs four-year contract extension

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday that defenceman Alexei Emelin has been signed to a four-year contract extension that will run through the 2017-18 season. The deal is reported to be worth $16.4 million, an average of $4.1 million per season.

Emelin hasn’t played since suffering a knee injury on April 6 against the Boston Bruins. He skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering the injury during Thursday’s practice in Brossard while wearing a no-contact jersey. The defenceman underwent reconstructive knee surgery on May 21 to repair both the aneterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments.

“We are very happy to have secured a long term agreement with Alexei,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defencemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”

Said Emelin, who thinks he might return to the lineup by mid-November: “I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team.”

In 38 games last season with the Canadiens, Emelin posted 3-9-12 totals and and led the team with 110 hits.

After practice Thursday, coach Michel Therrien confirmed that George Parros, sidelined since suffering a concussion in the season opener on Oct. 1, will play Friday night in Minnesota (8 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690) and that Carey Price will start in goal.

Max Pacioretty, who has been sidelined since Oct. 15 with a lower-body injury but practised Thursday, is expected to play this weekend. The Canadiens will be in Colorado Saturday to face rookie coach Patrick Roy and the Avalanche (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The two-game road trip will be a father/son event for the Habs. A number of the Habs fathers attended practice Thursday before heading out on the road with their sons. The only injured players who won’t make the road trip are Emelin, Travis Moen and Davis Drewiski.

Parros shaved off his trademark moustache on Thursday for the start of “Movember”. He then sent out this tweet, along with a photo of his clean-shaven face: “Day 1 is always a sad day… Donate in memory of my former facial hair”

Brandon Prust also shaved off his beard and moustache for “Movember”. His girlfriend, Maripier Morin sent out this tweet afterwards: “bye bye beard..hello movember @brandonprust8 !! #willmissyou #stache”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Leblanc
Blunden – White – Pacioretty
Parros

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Murray – Bouillon
Emelin – Pateryn

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Michael Farber special guest on this week’s HIO Show

Parros, Pacioretty set to return to Habs’ lineup, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Canadiens smart to get Emelin signed now, NHL.com

Father knows best, Canadiens.com

How Gauthier helped the Habs as GM, Sportsnet.ca

Sabres’ Scott suspended for seven games, NHL.com

Avs goalie Varlamov could be charged with assaulting girlfriend, montrealgazette.com

Avalanche trades Downie to Flyers for Talbot, NHL.com

Avalanche to retire Foote’s jersey Saturday, coloradoavalanche.com

Babcock’s leadership key to Canada’s repeat hopes at Olympics, NHL.com

Scary Goalie Masks (photo gallery), SI.com

Hockey Fright Night (photo gallery), SI.com

Spurgeon steps into leadership role with Wild, minnesotawild.com

1. Dunboyne Mike says:

@ Burly. Good call on Parros vs Wild. After all the hype and video highlights when we acquired him, the first thing I noticed about him in Game 1 was that in his brief time on the ice he moved the puck and contributed to the offense. He is no John Scott. Would love to see him occupying space in the corners and in front, maybe giving and receiving a few testing hits. But no fights.

@ Luke. Nice one! EXACTLY my view on CH24.

@Matty. Sounds wonderful. Enjoy every second!

@Ian. Hang tough, my man. Half the 401 is a great accomplishment! The rink is tilted in your favour for the second half (apologies for horrendous mixed sport metaphor!)

@Fransakois, @MartimeR — where are ye?

@PK Please don’t read this blog.

2. Morenz7 says:

I like the fact that management understands the contribution of a guy like Emelin. GMs talk all the time about intangibles, but too often they select and reward players (including defencemen) based on offensive stats. Taken to an extreme, this mentality produces teams like the current Edmonton Oilers.

Who was it here that described the Oilers’ roster as “like having 16 chocolate bars for supper?” Brilliant.

• JF says:

Agreed. Arpon Basu in an article on the NHL site points out that it’s not easy to determine a dollar amount for Emelin’s contract since statistics do not at all reflect his value to the team. His physical play, his heavy but clean hits add a whole dimension to the team that they were too obviously lacking at the end of last season and in the playoffs. We absolutely need a player like Emelin, and it’s great that he’s comfortable in Montreal and wants to stay. The contract is a nice vote of confidence in the health of his knee, but I assume that, as in the case of Galchenyuk at the 2012 draft, management is very sure that the knee will be fine.

3. BJ says:

@Habs in Burlington. Regarding your post on Varlamov and his problems, strangely enough its old Colorado Avs goalie karma:

4. commandant says:

Now that Emelin is done, who’s next?

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Kooch7800 says:

Subban will me next followed up Markov.

Nice article by the way Ben. I hope we keep Markov. I know he can fetch a lot in a trade but he is still one of our best D men and if he is gone there will be some big minutes that will need to be replaced and I don’t think Tinordi or Nate B are ready for top 4 minutes.

Frankie B is gone for sure and really i would rather trade Gorges and to have room to keep Markov. I like gorges but he is overpaid for what he brings to the table.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Chrisadiens says:

PK’s contract scares me and I’m not the one paying him. 8m x 8 yrs I would guess.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Ozmodiar says:

Diaz or Markov. Both will be re-signed. I wouldn’t be surprised if discussions have begun for both players, considering they have the same agent as Emelin.

They won’t let Markov walk. The cap will be going up, and if they need more space, they’ll trade DD or buy out Briere.

• Strummer says:

From a cap perspective is there room for?:
      Markov @ $5 million
      Subban 8 million
      Emelin 4.1
      Gorges 3.9

Also considering Eller is due for a raise.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Timo says:

Desharnais for an extension.

5. frontenac1 says:

@Ian. Good to hear you are rolling along the highway to recovery amigo. I had 2 Orthopedic surgeries 4yrs ago. The first one I was sent home with Oxy. The second one with Morphine. The Morphine worked best for me. Maybe because I was taking it with vodka. Slept like a baby. Saludos!

• Bripro says:

Never tried that cocktail Front.
      Thanks for the suggestion.

I remember my first shot of Morphine. A gorgeous nurse whom I thought was sneaking a peak at my (then) firm butt.
      Then I felt this sharp pain in my …… zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Mr. Biter says:

Frontenac, a man of many tastes. Yes, morphine works like a charm. When I had kidney stones many years ago, I’d go to the emergency (got to know the night staff quite well), jump onto the table in one of the rooms drop the drawers and got a needle in the cheeks and woke up in the hallway in a bed, got up and went home till next attack. Then one visit to ER, new Doctor, drop drawers, jump on table waiting for needle and hear the snap of glove going on a hand. You can guess the rest………………………….

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

6. joeybarrie says:

Varlamov……… Interesting story. Sadly i bet it gets resolved outside of court. He will skate on this one (pun intended)……..
    What I am trying to figure out is there is a HUGE difference between assault, battery, domestic abuse and kidnapping in the eye of the court.
    And yet I have heard what supposedly happened, nut nothing about why there is a kidnapping charge…
    Innocent till proven guilty, i know, but i doubt very much that the prosecutor would file charges if there wasnt a decent amount of evidence and bruises to support the charge.

7. Kooch7800 says:

I am happy Emelin is a hab for the next four years. Honestly, it is a good contract. If you think 4 mill for him is too much what do you think of the Briere contract?

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

8. Mondou6 says:

If Scott was on the Bruins, and Eriksson on our team, does anyone believe he would have gotten 7 games?

I can hear it now:

“He was never suspended before. He’s a first time offender.”

“Eriksson embellished it.”

“It was a hockey play. If you freeze frame the video, you can see Scott move his left wrist to the side a split second before contact, which means he wasn’t trying to injure.”

“It was Eriksson’s fault, because 10 minutes prior, he skated to too close to Scott, which breaks the unwritten rule.”

• Cal says:

Ted Bird’s got to start watching the games in order to be credible. I like his humour, but he’s always saying that he was asleep by the second period or had to go out or something. He covers sports. I think he should watch the games. No wonder he was kicked off of TSN radio.

• Phil C says:

It is possible that there is racism involved with Subban. But on the flip side, is it possible for the organization to be hard on Subban or for people to criticize him without someone playing the race card? Can he be judged, not by the color of his skin but by the content of his character? I agree something seems off with how Therrien handles PK, but does it always have to be about race?

• Old Bald Bird says:

I was just going to link it as well. This isn’t about MT or about Bird’s ability to watch games but about what those outside the organization are chirping about wrt the olympics. I think he makes a case worth pondering.

• Mattyleg says:

I didn’t read the article because it’s lazy.
      As lazy as Jack Todd.

PK is black, so let’s talk about racism, and bandy it around, because nobody can deny it, and even if they do, it’s a tacit admission of racism. Because what’s a racist going to say, except “I’m not a racist”?

Gimme a break, Ted.
      Go back to reading news on CHOM. I used to like you, but this sort of thing is stupid.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. frontenac1 says:

@burly. I think Roy has some experience with “domestic issues” in Denver.

10. naweed235 says:

Is it not possible for DD to be sent down to Hamilton and thus come off the NHL salary cap?

11. SteverenO says:

Some things never cease to amaze me:

When looking over the panthers stats to see how Kopecky or Versteeg are doing I checked on our good old friend Scott Gomez is toiling away for the Panthers.
    I don:t even know who the Panthers coach is but he must have gone to the Jacques Martin school of coaching.

He has utilized Scott Gomez for 26 minutes on the PP unit. Net result ?one PP goal in 26 minutes.

Gomez is doing “okay” at even strength situations, but the Panthers PP would be doing just as well, if not better, if they put the guy who sings the national anthem on the ice with ANY 4 other guys on the PP.

The closer I look at it, the more I have come to realize that a lot coaches in the NHL have no idea about how to properly evaluate a player’s performance/productivity.

It’s mind boggling.

Heres a simple rule of thumb about how to evaluate a player’s productivity on the Power Play

Being on the ice when a goal is scored……. GOOD!
    Being on the ice when a goal is NOT scored……. BAD!

If a player has 25 shifts on the PP and his team scores 8 goals his success rating is .320. Equivalent to a .320 hitter in baseball

If a player has 25 shifts and his team scores 2 goals, his success rating .080 –

If a guy is “batting ” .080 on the PP it is time to think about replacing him, either that or start declining the penalties.

regards,

Steve O.

12. frontenac1 says:

Put Parros in front of the net on PP? Yeah,I like that. Maybe Parros AND Murray in front with Wee David to retrieve the rebounds? What the hell am I talking about? It’s early Friday,time for a pint.

• CH Marshall says:

If I remember correctly, Chara was used on the Bruins’ PP during their playoff runs. He’d cruise right up to the goalie and park himself in the paint.

13. Bripro says:

Wow, so much tongue-in-cheek this morning.
    MT is a clown, Parros did a reverse mustache based on MT’s insistence.
    Seriously people?
    I’d hate to see this site if it was called
    “Sabres Inside Out”.

I have calls into my peeps down in the Queen City to find out what was done to Darcy Regehrs house on Devil’s night. As soon as I find out, I will let you know Brian!

• Luke says:

Tyler Myers should have signed a bridge deal!

Regier is an idiot for drafting Grigorenko!

I can’t believe the let Gerbe go?!?! 5 goals? We need skill not size…

RR hates Zadorov! He doesn’t play him enough on the PK!

We should trade Myers for PK and a first!

• Mattyleg says:

Miller’s the problem here, not Ruff!

This is all the fault of the Electric Banana Slug logo!

Scott’s hit was clean! Trade him straight up for Galchenyuk, Habs need size, we need skill!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Luke says:

Just wait until Corey Tropp returns! he’s almost ready, baby!

I can’t believe we signed Porter! And at $537,500/year? What a waste!

I think Jon Parker and Danny Catenacci are ready to assume big roles with the team. Double Calder!

Nathan Lieuwen makes Miller very tradeable.

Apparantly kids dressed up as PK for Halloween were turned away from MT’s house last night, and those kids dressed up as DD actually received full sized choclate bars from the Therrien household.

Just throwing it out there….

THe Varlamov scenario appears to be the first adversity Roy will have to deal with as a Head Coach in the NHL.

• Cal says:

Karma’s a funny thing, isn’t it?

• bwoar says:

Not sure what the point of this article is. Every time I’ve spent the night in jail, I had to get up the next morning and make it in the work on time. Now, I’m not sure exactly what landed him there, but I mean, c’mon, a night in the slam is no big deal and if the guy wants to play and you think you can win with him – put him in.

Frankly I’m glad we don’t play them until tomorrow. I expect he’ll pitch a shutout tonight.

“thoroughbred”

16. RAM_TOUGH says:

MT is a Fiffin joke. Always was & always will be. MB dropped the ball by hiring him!

Guts-Glory-Ram

I had no idea Rick Dipietro was on a tryout with the Hurrricanes. Sounds like the Canes are in a heap of trouble goaltending wise.

18. frontenac1 says:

@Ian. How are you feeling amigo? Hope all is well. Saludos!

• Ian Cobb says:

frontenac,
      We are now working on the other side of the 401, now that we have finished the east lane with new gravel. Doc tells me I will be passing gravel until they go back in and take out the kidney stints.
      Thank Gawd for Oxycodone, Buscopan and Morphine. It sure ain’t pretty my friend. But I’ll be fine, I think I get a new warranty!

19. RAM_TOUGH says:

Put Parros in front of the net on the PP. He is huge and can screen the goalie with ease.

Guts-Glory-Ram

20. La Duke 16 says:

I have a strange feeling Parros scores tonight!!

Movember to remember!!!

Burly!
    I just hope Parros never has to fights again. But if he does, I hope it is to protect our smaller players that some player has taken liberties with.
    Never mind the staged fights and fighting for the sake of fighting. Lets play hockey and intimidate with our speed, finesse and tenacity.!

22. frontenac1 says:

@luke. I heard Parros does a Reverse Movember. So it’s true?

23. Bill says:

It’s a Front kind of day for me already. Saludos. Hope the Habs win.

24. Say Ash says:

Any of you guys got Movember web sites going yet?

25. La Duke 16 says:

Varlamov sounds like a complete a$$.

I know – innocent until proven guilty – but if there is truth about him beating her in Russia and the cops looking the other way – it puts another black eye on the Russian Olympics upcoming.

He may want to reverse-defect as quickly as possible and sneek back into Russia. He is big trouble in the US and every stadium he visits from here out.

With regards to the question of why dress Parros given Minnesota doesn’t have a big goon in their lineup.

Perhaps this is exactly why the Wild is the perfect first game back for George. While his role for the team remains the same, it is probably excellent for his recovery that his first game back may not or should require him to fight. Hopefully he can play some limited minutes, have some contact (bodychecks etc..) and feel good after the game, knowing he appears to have recovered.

In due course he will have to fight again, nature of the beast, but hopefully he doesn’t have to do so his first game back. Or at least if he does, it would be with the much smaller and less dangerous Greek God, Zenon Konopka!

• Eddie says:

People here seem to think Parros will fight in every game. He usually fights about 15 to 20 times a year, I would estimate.

Agree with you Burly. Let him play a few games without fighting.

• third generation haber says:

Without fighting, Parros plays good fourth line minutes.

His teammates also play bigger when he’s in the lineup.

And the stache!!!

• Luke says:

What ‘stache?

The ‘Stache is gone, man. The ‘stache is gone.

Mo Habs Mo.

I suspect with George it will be back full in about 3 days max, it regenerates like Wolverine does from injuries.

• Luke says:

3 days is 2 games. It may be too late.

I think Parros’ shaving the ‘stache was MT’s suggestion because he knows other teams will take more liberties with PK and it will hurt his Olympic chances.

Crap, I knew there was more to that shaved ‘Stache story. THanks Luke, poor PK now even Parros doesn’t want him near Team Canada.

• Luke says:

Yah, Burl.

I have it on good authority too.

You’ll also notice that MT hasn’t denied it either.

• Steeltown Hab says:

It’s just concerning that returning from a concussion he’s bound to get punched in the head several times being a fighter.

I worry about a guy like that but you can’t deny the respect he gets on the ice. Very limited post-whistle bs when he’s around.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

Agree about the concern, Parros is extremely likable and I would hate to see him back on the injured list with a concussion. Let’s hope he has recovered as complete as one can after a concussion.

• Phil C says:

I agree, he has to test his head in a game situation, take and give a few hits. There is no way to know for sure he has recovered until he does. A teammate is not going to hit him in practice the same way the Wild will. If he can be involved in a big collision and feel good the next day, that will do a lot for his confidence.

27. Steeltown Hab says:

Please read the article below. If this is how you speak about a teammate or show “character”…. what a joke MT goes out of his way to avoid making any positive comments about Subban. This is actually tarnishing a guy’s olympic chances something some ppl only get 1 shot at in their career.

Absolutely Pathetic.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

Far be it for Sean Gordon to interpret a scenario which creates a wonderful attention grabbing headline like that just to get more reads.

Is MT’s job to get PK on Team Canada, or to help PK be the best he can be for the Habs?

Interpretation of what is happening presently with PK is the key. I suppose it all depends on how one interprets his present playing time and role for the Habs.

• Old Bald Bird says:

MT’s support of PK is underwhelming to say the least. As is PK’s support of the coach in the above clip. I don’t think we have a mutual admiration society here. As long as when push comes to shove, PK is the one remaining here, I guess it’s okay. Sort of.

“So there doesn’t appear to be anything sinister at play, the simple and most obvious explanation is that Therrien truly believes in bringing Subban along slowly.

But when Therrien was asked if Subban should be on Team Canada, he said, ‘It’s not for me to say. I’m in charge of the Montreal Canadiens.’

On whether Subban is a world-class player he added: ‘Whether I see him that way or not, my opinion doesn’t change anything.’ “

• The number one reason other than performance to take PK, he’s healthy. Then there are the other guys, Pietrangleo, Stall, and LeTang who if a puff of wind blows by they get hurt.

I think we’re all making something out of nothing. Canada would be fools not to take him.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Mattyleg says:

I love the fact that so many people are trained Psychologists.

And I wouldn’t expect anything less than this from the Toronto Mop and Pail.

Mind you, it fits your “Protect My Poor Widdle PK” mandate perfectly.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Steeltown Hab says:

It’s MT who thinks he’s some psychologist who needs to teach some hilarious 2-yr lesson to the teams best player they’ve had in 2 decades.

Preaches “character” as an excuse to justify all his stupidity.
        ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

He is a delicate flower, that PK. And Therrien is such a meanie.

Forget PK, though, I watched the 24ch this week. How come no one is raising heck about MT calling out, embarassing and throwing Tinordi under the bus? In front of his teammates, no less. And them? Those teammates? all laughing at Tinordi. Like it was a joke! “30 places in the NHL you can’t make that play…”

Obviously the team hates Tinordi. Obviously.

And then the entire team laughed when he said… “Phoenix”.

They laughed! First of all, they have it tough enough in that market,. They don’t need anyone piling on them. They should be supported by the members of the NHL community. Especially a marquee franchise like the Habs.

Secondly, it’s bulletin board material for the Coyotes. “They Laughed at us!”

Don’t even get me started with Molson bullying people to get French lessons. Eller already speaks a bunch of languages and you want him to learn another? Way to alienate the team. Just another meddling owner in Molson. Playing the French media, driving a wedge between players and their sense of national identity.

But the worst thing was MT and the Coaches pitting teammates against each other with that divisive trivia game! They are supposed to work WITH each other, not form cliques and try to beat each other.

You think MT/PK is an issue… no. It’s not. It’s the least of the worries on jumbled mess of individual hatred that is supposed to be a team.

Also Gallagher didn’t seem too excited when they scored against Nashville.

28. kerrgte says:

Markov is an elite d’man. How long he can continue as such is questionable considering his injury history and his age.

MB and Canadiens mgt demonstrate excellence in their treatment of players always. With Markov, who has given and given to the club, I expect the highest levels of fairness and consideration in their next contract offer to Markov.

We must also realize that the contracting process can be less than attractive from the outside, so I expect a little controversy in reaching agreement to his next one or two year contract, and hopefully more. We must realize that this is a club that is rebuilding with younger players and is constrained by the cap.

Markov represents the club as it has been, as it is today, and will contribute to the team for another year, or two, and hopefully more as he is reaching the end of his playing career,

We must be realistic in recognizing that Markov does not represent the long-term future of the club.

cheers

• Mattyleg says:

Great post; I hope the people who were moaning and bitching about Markov’s contract are choking on their spleen at this moment. He is worth every penny we pay him.

Markov will eventually become an amazing depth defenceman, like Lidstrom was for Detroit.

A good defenceman like Markov is someone who you can hold on to until retirement, as their hockey sense, play-reading, and mentoring is far more valuable than speed and finesse, which comes in every year with young players.

I honestly hope that we allow Markov to retire a Hab. Wouldn’t feel right seeing him in another uniform. Never should have done that with Robinson, shouldn’t do it with Markov.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• kerrgte says:

Wait and watch.

The next Markov contract (and there will will be one) will be the model of how a superstar should be respected in the contracting process.

But, there will be some controversy, as that, unfortunately, is the nature of the contracting process.

• third generation haber says:

Good point about the long-term future of the club, but GM’s don’t usually think long-term because they may get fired at any time.

Look at Nonis handing out long-term deals that the next GM of the leafs will be dealing with, not him.

• Mattyleg says:

I have a feeling that Bergevin has been given a pretty good vote of confidence from Molson, who will stick with him for a good while.

I’d like to believe that the Head Office Revolving Door has been stopped.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

29. Mattyleg says:

Morning all!

So I have the Dream Baby. She enjoys sleeping, eating, and quietly looking around, in that order. A BIG difference from baby number 1, whose interests included screaming and being awake constantly.

Strangely enough, I kind of regret the fact that I won’t have an excuse to sit up and watch the game with this one.

In other news, funny that people are still crapping on Bouillon and Gorges (and Diaz), seeing as how we are tied for second best in the NHL for goals against, with two games on #1 Colorado. They have to be doing something right, don’t they…?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. Phil C says:

In order to be a Cup contender, you usually need a group of young players on cheap contracts playing key roles while you still have your highly paid veterans playing well. The window of opportunity for this situation can be small as the young players will eventually require a raise. We saw this with the Chicago team in 2010 where they had to blow up the team because many of their young players required raises the following year.

Right now, the Habs have Subban, Emelin, Diaz, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Bournival making major contributions at very low cap hits, four of whom will need significant raises next year. They also have the Gionta and Markov contracts expiring at the end of the season, both key players that will not be easily replaced. Given this, do the Habs have a mini-window of opportunity to be a Cup contender that closes at the end of this season?

Once everyone is healthy, the Habs will have three pretty good offensive lines and a 4th that can play hockey while bringing some toughness. The will have a nice balance of offense and toughness on defense. They also have some depth on the farm for a change. Why not this year? Everyone would have to stay healthy, but that seems to be a requirement to win the Cup in the cap era. All of the recent Cup winners finished the playoffs with the same six defensemen they started with, which is remarkable. The Vancouver team that lost to Boston would have had a better chance if Kessler wan’t playing on one leg and was largely ineffective in the final. So having to stay healthy to win is not unique to the Habs.

31. Hstands4Hockey says:

Anyone else feel Patches should take an extra week off just to be sure? Tired of seeing him keep getting hurt.

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

• Chrisadiens says:

If he kept injuring the same injury I’d agree with you. Its never a reoccurring injury, its always something new. Patches will be fine.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• doc359 says:

He really hasn’t been hurt that often.

The shoulder last season, the groin this one, and a terrible hit that would have retired lesser men 3 years ago. Not exactly injury prone by NHL standards.

(I don’t count the appendectomy as a hockey injury)

• Cal says:

Patches comes back too early from injuries. Let’s hope he’s skating at 100% or he’s just setting himself up to be injured again.

32. third generation haber says:

A lot of get rid of DD talk going on, and I’m all in favor, but what GM in hockey would take this guy and his contract???

We’re stuck with him, and unless he gets seriously injured (unlikely) MT will have to manage his ice-time and surround him with tough line-mates.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Most teams still have compliance buy out they can use after this year. Someone might take him to buy him out if they receive a worthwhile asset to supplement him.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• third generation haber says:

compliance buyouts carry over past last season???
        I thought they ended before this season started.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Yes each team gets 2 buyouts to use either June 2013 or June 2014. The only exceptions are Montreal and NYR because they were allowed early buyout of Gomez and Redden (Who they would have bought out anyway) so they could play in the NHL instead of staying home as the teams demanded they do to avoid the chance of being eligible for LTIR and therefore ineligible for buyout. These counted as 1 of 2 “cap free” buyouts. Kaberle was 2 of 2 so Montreal has no more compliance buyouts.

Montreal could still buy out DD for a 1.1 mil cap hit over 6 years. Or, aforementioned, trade him to another team who has a buyout with assets (such as cash) and that team can buy him out with no cap hit – they would need compensation to do so, but I think you’ll see many teams use this creative avenue come June.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• doc359 says:

He is a third line center, who gets paid like a third line center.

What am I missing here that makes his contract untradeable?

I’m not saying it will happen, but DD could be traded to the right team

• Phil C says:

I agree his contract shouldn’t be an obstacle, but he hasn’t scored in 19 games and counting, and he has only 2 points during that time. Not nearly enough for a one-dimensional player. He has to start producing like a 3rd line centre to be trade-able.

• doc359 says:

Very true, no denying that.

But he has been working hard these last games, since he was demoted to the third line. I don’t see the low production continuing. He might not light it up, but he could end up providing some strong depth scoring.

Watching his effort on the ice out there, wouldn’t you agree?

• Phil C says:

No question, he has been playing better and he has been surprisingly good on face-offs. It will probably eventually show up on the scoresheet.

• third generation haber says:

True that Phil, but what’s more concerning is that he is far less effective in the playoffs!

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Yes, what you are missing is that the only team stupid enough to take him is the Islanders and they’ve already met their bad trade quota for the first half of the season.

——————————————————————–
        Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

• third generation haber says:

3.5 seems like a lot for a third line center, especially one that is producing less than a fourth line center should.

• doc359 says:

When I watch him play this season, especially since he was demoted to the third line, he has played with a lot of fire, driving for the puck, going for the net, etc. He looks pretty snake-bit right now, but if he keeps this play up, the production will come.

And many 3rd line centers make 3,5 mill

• third generation haber says:

I agree he’s working hard, but if he’s not producing offensively (not even on the PP), what else does he bring???

Would you honestly want him on your team at 3.5 mil for the next 4 seasons???

• Steeltown Hab says:

No defensive ability, slow, no grit, and to this point can’t produce. His contact is untradeable.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Hstands4Hockey says:

DD deserves a lot of criticism, but he is not slow.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• doc359 says:

He was last year, but he shed what, 20 pounds this offseason? It has led to much better skating for him.

He is also being played a lot in the defensive zone right now, which is odd, but as long as he keeps not being terrible with that job, I wont say he has no defensive ability. But he gets a short leash before I take that last statement back

33. Chrisadiens says:

Before the season started, the idea of trading Markov seemed like a small possibility to me. Letting Markov walk and getting nothing in return seemed like bad business. Now, with Markov’s stellar play, there is zero chance MB trades Markov. In fact, the pendulum has swung towards resigning Markov IMO. Sure, Markov’s foot speed isn’t the same, but his hockey sense and that beautiful breakout pass is irreplaceable.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

^ This!

• Marcusman says:

He’ll resign for another 2 yrs at 5 million each…..and be named captain.

• Chrisadiens says:

I wouldn’t mind him as a captain, but I think he would decline the captaincy. He’s just not that type of guy. Besides, Cal and I both know Gorges will be the next captain. ;)

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• third generation haber says:

Before July 1, we can only match or surpass his current salary of 5.75. And, he’ll certainly want a 4-6 year term, not 2 years. After July 1, all teams can sign him and we get nothing!!!

Are we really a cup contender this year??? sadly, I don’t believe we’re built for it. So, risking losing Markov for nothing is unthinkable. I imagine some GM’s would give-up a 1st rounder for him.

With Emelin and Drewiskie back, and the trio in Hamilton learning the ropes, we have enough depth to fill (not replace) the loss of Markov.

It would really be Subban’s time to show what he can do leading up to his big contract offer.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

No one is disputing Markov’s talent, but I can’t see even the most desperate of GM throwing money and term at a 35 year old defenseman who’s had multiple reconstructive knee surgeries and isn’t getting any faster.

I see him getting 3 years tops at 4.5-5 million. If there’s anyone on Montreal who may take a “home town discount” it’s Markov, considering he’s played his whole career there, been paid a lot of money for hockey he’s never played and is a Canadian citizen who calls Montreal “His first home”.

——————————————————————–
          Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
          @Hstands4Hockey

• third generation haber says:

I hope u are right, but players (agents) tend to demand the top dollar and term possible.

• Marcusman says:

He’s played his whole career here.. we’ve seen him through his bad times… he won’t bolt. 1st class organization, 1st class facilities and the fans. He’ll resign for 2 -3 yrs and then retire …..he’s not going anywhere……

• habsguru says:

agreed, but how much do you gamble on his multiple repaired knees? fat contract, he goes down…. then what?

• Chrisadiens says:

He’s worth the risk.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• third generation haber says:

At his age? with his knee problems? and the fact that he will certainly seek a 4-6 year contract!

No, he’s not worth the risk!

This is the type of contract GM’s offer to save their butts, knowing the next GM will get stuck with it.

34. Habfan10912 says:

Morning all! Scott gets 7 games for his hit. I forget, but how many games did the guy who hit Briere get? I wonder if they have a wheel that they spin at the NHL offices which determines the length of suspensions.

Oh by the way we saw one of those “staged fights” last night in the Ranger-Sabres game. This time they both came onto the ice during a shift change and automatically went to each other without making one play or saying one word to each other and dropped the gloves. Yep, just what that game needed. Sigh.

Scott is a useless player when it comes to “hockey skills” but the NHL has chosen to allow teams to employ such players. I don’t like Scott and I have no empathy for him, but once again the NHL has shown its double secret hypocrisy as he has never been suspended before and gets 7 off the hop. An illegal hit is an illegal hit, yet if he is a skilled player with no priors, he would have received probably 3 games.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he appeals. Glad he got 7, but as you say players who do the same hits but are considered skilled don’t receive the same punishment.

Just as society no longer has a big blue collar middle class the NHL seems to hand out justice the same.

• Dust says:

come on. there is no way that the guy who collided with briere should have got suspoended. they both weren’t looking where they were they were going. the other guy saw him at the last moment and braced himself.
      as far as the fighting goes. totally agree.

35. Lafleurguy says:

Enjoying website “NHL Trade Tracker” and got the fact I was searching, which is that Serge Savard was traded to Winnipeg for a 6th round pick that they used to pick Ernie Vargas. Turns out the 3rd round pick Habs used to get Patrick Roy was the Jets’, and was acquired for Robert Picard.

“May you live in interesting times.”

36. habsguru says:

DD would be fine on a team with big wingers to help him, I don’t think he has hit the Gomez plateau yet, but his fit with the CH just isn’t there. Markov should be signed if he will take one for the team. the team gambled on him and lost (2.5 years of injuries), if he wants to play for reduced contract sign him, if not trade him. but this should be figured out well before the trade deadline.

• third generation haber says:

This can’t be figured out before the trade deadline because u can only over a player an extended contract for a lower salary after July 1st, when they’re free to walk-away.

Before July 1, we have to at least match his current salary to extend him.

37. Habfan10912 says:

Maple Leaf Ashton will have a hearing today on his hit against Calgary’s Smith. Not sure if phone or in person.

38. otisfxu says:

And we would dress Parros for what reason?

39. Cal says:

Let’s not trade any D until we see them as a unit, shall we?
    I am definitely wanting to see PK, Tank, and Crank with Markov, Gorges and Diaz/NB/Tinordi.

• Cal says:

When you see how physical the Wild is you will have your answer.

• otisfxu says:

Yep, I bet he is just dying to step into a fistful of knuckles on that old chin. his 2-3 minutes of playing time is just a waste.

• Habfan10912 says:

It would be nice if we lived in a world where goons were not a part of the game. One can dream, eh?

• Cal says:

Tonight, Parros may play 5 or 6 minutes and spend about 15 minutes in the sin bin. He will offset the Wild’s goons.
          Like it or not, this is what the NHL is about. They will only have a change of heart in the Habs start beating the hell out of every team in the league.

• adamkennelly says:

the Wild don’t have any goons…Parros is no worse than Blunden – so I don’t see what the problem is with him skating tonight….honestly – is he really that much less effective than DD given the difference in ice time?

• Luke says:

The Wild do have at least one goon.

They have Konopka. Faceoffs aside, 3 shots, a -3, zero points and 32 Penalty minutes in 13 games… goooooon.

They also have Prosser (17PIMS in 5 games) But I’m not sure if he’s just a rough n’ tumble type or a goon.

They also have Stoner and Neiderreitter who are definitely the rough n’ tumble variety. We’ll call them “Prustian”.

Agree, if indeed Murray shows he can play 3rd pairing minutes effectively, and Tank shows he is back in form, we suddenly have a formidable defense. Add in the benefit of having Bouillon as a substitute/rotation and things really look up.

Best part is this will allow Beaulieu and Tinordi to get big minutes in Hamilton which should bode well in the long term for their careers. Not to mention the benefit to the Bulldogs and how this in turn helps the development of many other players down on the farm.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good Morning Burly! I think the two/three kids in Hamilton are the key. I don’t really enjoy talking about the cap management part of the game but it seems to me you need these young, cost effective players in order to balance your cap. I suspect both Gorges and Markov could be moved when the kids are ready to play big minutes.

Morning Jim, when they are ready indeed. Ideally Beaulieu and Tinordi can be 3rd pairing their first season, or perhaps one of them 2nd pairing but no need to rush their development.

• Luke says:

One most definitely replaces Boullion next season.

The other may take Murray’s or Diaz’s spot, if one of those is not resigned. (Probably Murray).

I think next season will see one of Tinordi or Beaulieu begin as a full time player with the other seeing spot 7th D duty.

• OakvilleHabsFan says:

+++++1

• doc359 says:

Markov-PK
      Gorges-TU-74
      Murray/Bull/Tinordi-Diaz

Thats a line up I would go against most any team with.

40. jon514 says:

A lot of people want to trade Markov for a 1st round pick. I get trading him while he has value, since we are not contenders this year. I think we should look at bringing back a top prospect the same way we did Eller. This team has a good young core, and 1st rounders can take 2-4 years to materialize into roster players.

The way he’s upped his defensive game, I can’t imagine any Cup Contender would refuse to trade a top prospect for him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think with the signing of Emelin the writing on the wall is becoming a bit more clear. Bergevin could be looking at dealing Markov. Once Emelin is back and healthy he could probably play the same minutes Markov does. Emelin could take up 2nd line PP dutiies and Diaz could jump on the first pairing with Subban.

It’s a bit of a gamble to assume Tinordi and Beaulieu will both be ready next year but I’m guessing that’s what Bergevin is thinking. Pateryn can’t be forgotten either.

Things will look like: Subban, Emelin, Gorges, Diaz, Beaulieu, Tinordi and either Murray or another cheap UFA.

And we’ll have two 1st rounders at the draft.

I would be completely against trading Markov, like it or not he is playing #1 minutes on our defence. Next year we don’t need to re-sign Bouillon, perhaps we don’t need to re-sign Murray.

If indeed Markov demands long term and big bucks, that is a different story. But he appears to love the organization, the city and the country he presently lives in. Would love to see him their to put the final grooming touches on Beaulieu and Tinordi.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

FFS, again with this writing is on the wall bs?

Gionta might be gone, Murray and Bouillon might retire after this season but there´s no reason why Markov shouldn´t/couldn´t be resigned.

We´re also not going to give away our second best dman for a draft pick a couple of weeks before the playoffs. What message would it send?

What some people don´t seem to care about and what I find rather sad: Markov was draftet by Montreal, played his whole career for the Habs and he should retire as a Canadien. That would be much more important than getting an additional draft pick.

Even if the cap wasn´t rising we could keep Markov. Some people estimate the cap will be around 70 million next season…

• Eddie says:

Retiring as a Hab is not a serious consideration in managing a hockey team. Look at Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Lafleur, etc etc,. Fans get attached to the players, but GMs don’t.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

It should and it probably does if that player still can help your team. Lafleur retired as a Hab. He came back a couple of years later not being close the player he once was. Robinson was what, 38 when he went? That´s different. Markov is 34 and still not that far away from his best days. He´ll play another two or three seasons and that should be in Montreal.

• habsguru says:

New Jersey wasn’t a contender 12 games in last year either.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

We are not contenders this year? Where are all those other great teams in the Eastern Conference? So many teams like the Caps, the Rangers, the Flyers or the Senators are doing worse than they should. The Lightning and the Leafs are nowhere near as good as their record. I see us on a level with Boston and Detroit.

That leaves Pittsburgh as the only team which is better. If we can get into playoffs without any major injuries we can go far. We also have the draft picks and prospects to aquire one more decent player at the deadline instead of giving away Markov.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Leafs have one problem similar to the Habs: way too many shots allowed. Apart from that, they are looking fairly real too me. Not sure about TB, and I agree with you that we are in the company with the Bruins and Wings.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

A “1st round pick” is too generic. I would trade him for Buffalo or Philadelphia’s first round pick in a heartbeat, but certainly not for Pittsburgh or San Jose’s.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

41. Lafleurguy says:

Cap hit for defencemen (7)

Markov, 5.75
    Gorges, 3.9
    Subban, 2.875
    Murray, 1.5
    Diaz, 1.225
    Bouillon, 1.5
    Pateryn, .6625

Total: 17.4125 million

2014-15 partial defencemen caphit: Subban 8 + Emelin 4.1,
    12.1 million. Top 2 slots 2013-14, Markov 5.75 + Gorges 3.9,
    9.65 million (plus there are skilled players occupying slots 3 and 4).

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Eddie says:

If Gionta is moved he could be replaced by a young player like a Bournival. That would free up 4 million to spend on defence.

• Lafleurguy says:

Mornin’. If the total caphit for defencemen on the team next year comes in around 23 million, it means around 5 to 6 million less will be available for forwards, so Bournival, and Leblanc(!) will be in the top nine. Eller will be given an increase. Diaz stays ’cause he’s “cheap.” Plekanec stays not because he’s signed through 2016, and therefore a fixed cost, but because he is one of the “most” valuable players on the team. The only certainty is the goalie caphit.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Eddie says:

Morning, Bournival is top 9 for sure. He is playing outstanding hockey by any standards. Makes Boone and Trini look real good! Leblanc? That would be a nice comeback but he’s got to start showing up on the score sheet to push his way to the front of the line. They will also look at Thomas and Colberg, who is exceptionally talented but tried out injured this year.

I thought Markov would be moved, but now he seems to be playing so well he is earning another 2 years from someone.

Agree Ed, I love Gionta, but I think there is no chance he is re-signed and may indeed get moved at deadline. If Bournival continues to show he can play those, we suddenly have depth enough at forward to replace Gionta.

42. rhino514 says:

I asked a week who was the second best Dman on the habs, and the answer was unanimously Markov.
    I agree Marky is the PP quarterback and immensely valuable to our team, but who thinks Emelin, as an round defenceman, is our number two guy?
    If I HAD to keep three Dmen on the team, it would be Soobie, Markov (yes, even though he is old and decrepit by today´s standards; he´s still vital to our PP, and I don´t think he is the liability five on five many on here think he is), and Yemmy.
    I think Emelin could also post decent offensive totals if given more offensive responsibilities; he´s a guy who, if he just gets a bit more confidence offensively, could maybe be one of the 20-25 best Dmen in the league. Hopefully playing with Markov will help him get to the next level. Out of all of our Dmen currently on the roster, he´s by far the one with the most upside.

43. gmur says:

Re-sign the knee surgeon…

________________________________
    …storm the crease like bumblebees…

44. rhino514 says:

The problem with any trades as far as the habs are concerned is there is just about no room on the roster for any incoming player.
    The only desirable move is letting Desharnais go, but that would entail Galchenyuk being ready to play centre, and more importantly, another team willing to pick DD up, which is a longshot given the way he is playing and his contract.
    In fact I would be in favour of giving up DD just to free up the cap space.
    I don´t see any other trades for a rostar player possible this year, if they don´t involve either DD or Briere, and I doubt there are teams out there who would want these guys right now.
    Perhaps at the trade deadline if we are lucky.

• Hobie Hansen says:

“The only desirable move is letting Desharnais go”

I’m guessing by letting him go you mean trade? There is no way to simply let him go otherwise? If we send him down to Hamilton I believe the Habs would still be on the hook for close to $2.5 million of his salary?

As we saw with Gomez and Kaberle, teams have zero desire to acquire other teams garbage. I think at this point all teams are at the cap floor so that rare occasion where a team acquires a player to reach the floor goes out the window with Desharnais.

I seriously hope Bergevin learned two things from this Desharnais and Briere mess. One is not to spend to the cap limit just for the sake of doing it and the other is not to try and please the market by signing players because of the language they speak. If you’re going to sign a French player at least make sure they’re going to benefit the team.

• rhino514 says:

yes, I meant trading him. I agree he may not be easy to move, and maybe Bergevin doesn´t even want to move him; maybe management believes he can regain his form.
        But you never know. Last year, I bet most posters thought no one would take Cole, who was visibly washed-up, and yet not only were we able to get out of the last two years of his contract, we got back 10-12 goals in Ryder for one season, and a decent prospect to boot.
        Desharnais contract is probably better than Cole´s, as he is just hitting his prime years and could produce 50-60 points over the next few years if he is put in the right situation.
        I just don´t think even if he regains his forms that he is a good fit with the team´s situation at centre.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t recall people wanting to trade Cole. The trade came as more of a surprise if anything? Sure he was off to a bad start with 6 points in 19 games but was nowhere close to the level of a complete waste like Desharnais currently is?

45. Marc10 says:

Fellow poster Durocher had an interesting DD for Stalberg trade proposal. So I decided to google the Nashville Predators Roster.

Check out the picture of Sergei K. LOL!

I thought it was worth posting this twice! Priceless! Google captures the spirit of our favourite Belorussian.

46. Propwash says:

Why is it that we have to focus on one PK Subban? We all know he’s pretty much one of the top tier defencemen in the entire NHL, and the organization is more than fortunate to have him in the roster, given his draft number. He could have very well been a top 1st round pick in the year he was drafted, but for some reason, he was a second round pick if memory serves. I still don’t know why he wound up that low considering what he can bring on the ice.
    The Habs have a winning record, and I can’t see why we are nitpicking on trivial stuff such as PK’s TOI for certain scenarios, the team is winning, and that’s what we all want. Am I completely off base here in questioning why we are making mountains out of molehills?

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

• Hobie Hansen says:

People want to see him play for team Canada and are anxious to see him resigned because his contract is up at the end of the season. He clearly has the ability to be the best in all situations so it is a bit surprising that you often don’t see him killing penalties or on the ice late in games while the team is protecting a lead. Those are the reasons people are focused on Subban?

• Eddie says:

Hobie, I agree. And I think if Subban is not selected for Team Canada one of the reasons will be that Subban is not trusted in all situations.

Now that Murray is back it seems that he will be given penalty kill and late game situations.

I thought most of those calls against Subban by the refs were weak, but it looks like Therrien did not.

• savethepuck says:

Isn’t this the place to come if you want mountains out of mole hills?
      I have been hearing, or reading, crazy PK scenarios and conspiracies on here since I joined in early 2010. He’s still here, he’s doing great, he’s not going anywhere, he doesn’t hate his coaches and management nor do they hate him. He is an exuberant young man who is being developed into an elite NHL DMan.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Emelin deal was a no brainer…hopefully PK’s next.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Is there going to be any money leftover for Markov. Will they trade him before the deadline, let him walk over the summer or somehow resign him?

• third generation haber says:

Before July 1st, we would have to match his current 5.75 salary, and he probably wants term too (knees, age, yikes!!!). After July 1st we could talk hometown discount with him, but he could also walk, leaving us with no compensation.

Seeing as we are likely a play-off team, but not a cup contender, I think we should swallow a tough pill and deal him before the deadline. I imagine someone would sacrifice a first rounder for him.

Long-term, it could really pay-off.

48. The Jackal says:

Well glad to see the PK thing has died down, but it is really ridiculous that some are trying to read between the lines. I mean, PK is a professional, and coaches probably say harsher stuff than what MT has said.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Marc10 says:

It’s another tempest in a teapot by the anti-Therrien/Berg crew on this site. I do wish they had taken the ‘risk’ of signing PK for 8 years at 6.5 per season, but maybe for PK’s development it worked out best that he stepped up and earned his gigantic pay raise. Big cap hit, but hey… to the victor go the spoils!

49. durocher says:

Very happy we have Emelin locked up for four years. He’s a beast. I’m looking forward to having him and Tinordi on the blueline for a while.

Question: would you trade DD for Viktor Stalberg (who has struggled in Nashville, but is big at 6’3″ and 209 lbs, won a Cup with the Hawks, and who has had decent seasons with Chicago)? They are under contract for the same amount of years.

• Marc10 says:

I would and who knows, it just might be a realistic fit. We might need to throw in a late pick.

Stalberg could be another North-South fore-checker we could plug in.

So I followed up and googled the Nashville Predator’s roster:

Love the picture of Sergei K. Priceless!

• SUMO says:

Hello Durocher.

Rather than trade DD for another contract, wouldn’t it suit the Habs needs to try to trade for cap relief from a soon to be UFA, like they did in the Cole for Ryder deal?

End of the season; Brian Gionta’s $5million is coming off the books. We know $2mill from that is already going to Alexei Emelin ($4.1mill) and the remaining $3mill will be needed to top up RFA Lars Eller ($1.325mill). By trading DD for a soon to be UFA, Bergevin would then free up an additional $3.5mill going into the off-season.

Also if MB decides not to re-sign 2 of the UFAs on D; Bouillon ($1.5mill); Murray ($1.5mill), this will save him another $3mill to go with the $3.5mill from DD to try and top up PK’s deal ($2.875m). The 2 openings on D (#5 & #6 spots) can be filled by either Pateryn, Tinordi or Beaulieu.

Ultimately, it comes down to, is this a better team with PK & Markov or PK & Stallberg? Appreciated your post. Was thinking about something similar but believe the Habs are better suited to use the $$ to re-sign key players rather than take on another body. Time to give our prospects a legit shot at the NHL.

Gorges – Subban
      Markov – Emelin
      Tinordi – Pateryn
      > Drewiske

50. frontenac1 says:

J? Is for…..Nope, not going there! Speaking of which, Toronto mayor says there is no reason for him to resign! The guy has stones eh?Hilarious!

51. Hobie Hansen says:

Regarding the Oilers, They have done nothing to insulate all the young players with some veteran leadership. I’m sorry but Andrew Ference and a rapidly deteriorating Ryan Smyth doesn’t cut it.

I’d hate to be an Oilers fan. No UFAs want to play in Edmonton, NONE! The weather is horrible and the city is as lame as it gets. They have a very hard time attracting players. They are handicapped and at a huge disadvantage because of this.

• D Mex says:

But, but … Gretzky and the kleenex, Mess made him promise … are you sure about this ?
      Or are you suggesting it’s time for another oil change, or that there’s a reason their football team is named after ice cream covered in lousy chocolate.
      Bleacher rated NHL head coaches today, and Eakins was 29th out of 30, so that one doesn’t seem to have turned into the stroke of genius Lowe and Mac needed either. City of Champions, not …

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Hobie Hansen says:

The only thing the Oilers can do is to make a trade or two for some veterans without a NTC who are under contract for several more years. And that is going to be pretty tricky.

• habcertain says:

sounds like us

• Hobie Hansen says:

There are players out there who don’t want to play in Montreal because of the tax situation, the language and the media. However, the situation in Edmonton is MUCH worse. IMO.

52. frankcasting says:

Great signing at the right number.

Loving the Habs since 1965

53. frontenac1 says:

No matter how bad Eakins might be, Kids should not talk that way to a Dad bringing his kids to school. If it was my lad, he would get his arse kicked. It is about Respect. What the hell is wrong with some parents?

54. SmartDog says:

Okay so Patches comes back… what do you do with Bournival?
    A. Leave him where he is and put Patches on the 3rd line with Bourque and DD
    B. Move him to the 3rd line.
    C. Move him to the 4th line (replacing White?)

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

55. jsaz says:

I know all the edm fans here are getting very impatient. They showed Eakins on the news and he was bringing his kid to school and little kids were yelling YOU SUCK!!! Something has got to be done here that’s for sure.

His kids shouldn’t have to hear that, but he sure doesn’t mind complaining through the media. I think he may be in a bit over his head as a rookie NHL head coach. I thought he would have done well with the young team. Will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

• Hobie Hansen says:

There are Edmonton fans here?

56. habs1992 says:

OVERREACT

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

57. frontenac1 says:

@hobie. Agreed. TU-74 will look like a Steal by next year. He is for real.

58. jsaz says:

Edmonton oilers are a disaster!! I love it cause I live in edm and get hassled for being a habs fan from here.

59. Reflektor says:

Great news on Yemelin signing long(isn) term. If he stays healthy and still bangs a few bodies (especially Bruins and the odd Leaf) really hard, its all worth it.

Love PK in the video. He knows his game as part of this team. Therrien better not F him up.

60. Hobie Hansen says:

I’m glad Emelin is signed. It would have been nice to see him play 20 games or so before giving him all that money because there is that small change he’s a bit gun shy or his knee injury doesn’t quite allow him to do the things he did before. Things should be OK though I imagine. Can’t wait to have him and Murray in the lineup at the same time. Then we’ll finally have a real defence!

gun shy???

Absolutely nothing will stop Emelin from hitting everything that moves; he lives to crush people!!!

I wish our defence were P.K. Subban and 6 Emelins!

• Hobie Hansen says:

As I said: Things should be OK though I imagine.

• Mr. Biter says:

I posted earlier today about eagerly awaiting the Emelin return, however I agree with Hobie that MB should have waited 20 games or so just to see how Emelin skates and plays. Always worried about signing players who have had serious injuries before they play even a few games.
          Having said that who sits when Emelin returns, Cube or Diaz?

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think Bouillon will sit. Although Murray and Diaz might sit on occasion as well. I’ve heard several members of the media mention that Therrien has this strange love affection with Diaz. Even after Diaz plays several shaky games in a row Therrien continues to speak highly of him. He also has a very long friendship with Bouillon, going back to their junior days.

• NCRhabsfan says:

Presumably he’s seen Emelin skate and feels comfortable that he will be fine. Definitely Bouillion to the press box.

• SUMO says:

That’s a good point. It does take a bit of time to recover mentally from that kind of injury. Look at Markov, took him last season to regain confidence in the knee. See how he plays when he comes back but I also like the signing. The Habs definitely missed his presence.

61. Dunboyne Mike says:

Textbook: play the rat, not the puck.

Looking forward to similar from 6 and 74.

• Lafleurguy says:

Unfortunately, the omelet line gets stymied like that often, not with a flush hit like Orpik’s, but with enough contact to repel them. Until the kicked in goal two games ago, only Gallagher got any points for the line (great interception for the 2-0 goal in the 4-3 loss to the Oilers) in the previous 5 games.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The finish on Gallagher’s interception-goal was unreal!

Meanwhile you’re right: the league is awake to them now. But I reckon the boys will make some adjustments: they won’t be kept down for long. Plus, with Patches returning soon, opposing teams will no longer know to which line to assign their best defenders.

• Lafleurguy says:

As a comparison, Michael Bournival’s greater degree of development and experience shows when compared to Alex G. Reading the play and his linemates has him (no. 49) in the “right” spot much more often than the 19 yr. old (no.27).

“May you live in interesting times.”

62. Lafleurguy says:

It must have been discussed during the game, but yet again the Habs, Canadiens-pride welled-up inside when the TV camera caught a close-up of Roman Hamrlik in the stands and the crowd gave him warm applause and this just days after he announced his retirement. I think he last played with the Capitals, but he may have been traded to the Rangers for the playoffs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• savethepuck says:

I think I remember the Caps putting him on waivers and the Rangers picking him up because Staal was out long term with the eye injury.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• Marc10 says:

Hammer deserved it. He was a solid for us for a good stretch.

I’m always pleasantly surprised in this age of social media celebrity when the Bell Center crowd makes a point of recognizing not just the stars but the guys who work in the shadows or in relative anonymity.

The ovation they gave to Frankie B on his return or MT’s on the same night comes to mind. That was all class and you can tell they were moved. Hell Breezer was tearing up when the crowd welcomed him back.

Or how bout the time they cheered Eddie Palchak at the 100th anniversary game? Or the special cheer they gave Lyle Odelein when he stepped on the ice for the alumni warm up. Chills…

The crowd doesn’t always get it right, but when they do… it’s something this town should be proud of… and probably one of the reasons it ranks first in the best places to play.

63. The Gonk says:

Big Emelin fan, but hope MB is confident the medical staff knows this player is ready to go. Even as the cap goes up and assuming Subban and Markov get big contracts, this means someone like Diaz or Georges are be candidates for going elsewhere. Eller has to get signed too and the relative price for him has now been raised. Interesting months ahead on the contract//personnel front considering other guys like Gionta are pending UFAs. Then there’s DD and Briere.

• crabvader says:

Should trade Markov before the deadline.

We can’t swell the back end with huge contracts.

We won’t have room to work with in upcoming years if the D is eating up 3/4 of the salary cap.

We did that once with one forward line and it was a wreck.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Markov has looked much better this year but with this big contract handed out to Emelin, plus the mega contract about to be handed out to Subban, you’d have to imagine there is a good change Markov’s days are numbered in a Montreal uniform?

64. Johnny9 says:

@dunboyne mike
    See, you DO understand sarcasm after all! About Alexis Nihon, not sure what year you’re talking about but when I went to cegep there 14 years ago or so there was a pool bar called L’an Jeu

@habcertain
    Emelin NEVER played juniors, he came over to north America a couple years later cause he decided to stay in the khl and make more money!

@fransaskois
    Mike babcok make it clear that he wants left right on each D pairing. He’ll NEVER play 2 high risk dmen like letang and PK together!

• Chris says:

Well, the couple of years was more like 7 years. And I’m not sure it was solely about money: Emelin has also stated that he didn’t feel up to the cultural change when he was younger.

I’m surprised so many NHL teams rush the European prospects over to the AHL. I would rather see the kids learning the game in as comfortable an environment as possible. Having them learning professional hockey at the same time as learning to live on their own, learning a new language, learning a new culture, etc. is an awful lot for a kid to chew on.

• HabFab says:

I believe his Dad was a coach and it was used to keep him attached to the team prior to the KHL being formed.

Agree, still wonder if Avtsin wouldn’t have been better served staying home longer.

• Chris says:

Avtsin is a very good example…he reportedly struggled mightily with the cultural difference. Another great example was Vladimir Krutov, the third member of the famed KLM line. Larionov and Makarov both had nice NHL careers, but Krutov battled loneliness and hated being in North America.

I always got frustrated that so many gave up on Emelin…he was progressing very nicely in Russia, and he always expressed interest in eventually playing in the NHL.

There are a ton of guys in Europe right now that could help some NHL teams. Brian Rafalski played in Finland until he was 26 years old. Johan Franzen was drafted out of Sweden at age 24 and didn’t make his NHL debut until age 26. Viktor Fasth parlayed a strong run in Sweden into an NHL debut at age 30 and played well for the Ducks.

Some guys are late bloomers, some guys have other stuff going on in life, some guys need ice time. Prospect development is necessarily a many-branched path.

• Lafleurguy says:

You bring amazing details to this site C-man. I think Matt Moulson is the best current example of a late-bloomer, having twice signed free-agent contracts because he was cut loose by his previous club. Brian Bickell was last spring’s golden child among late-bloomers. At some future point, I’ll ask you about Alex Chiasson (not a late-bloomer) who we saw last game.

“May you live in interesting times.”

65. rljmartin says:

Bruins trail Anaheim 2-1 after two. Shots are 15 to 8 Anaheim and Bruins had 1 shot in the first in their own barn. How many trades would HIO posters recommend afters a performance like that? Second one on Raask was soft… Almost forgot, Ducks riddled with injuries… go Ducks go!

• Maksimir says:

Good point… everyone would pile on… trade Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Seidenberg, Marchand is too small, Kelly is too soft, send Hamilton to the minors blah blah blah… but hey – its what sports fans do.

• Lafleurguy says:

Bruins had salary cap constraints and have turned over some of their core. Unfortunately, they’ve shown they have another gear for the playoffs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

66. Caesar says:

not that I see conspiricies everywhere but does anyone else think the PK controversy is all so we tune into sports shows? THey are floating the rumors and we are snapping at the bait

67. frontenac1 says:

Quiet night in hockey so I’ve got a question to all my amigos up there in Toronto. Now that the cops got the goods on your Mayor, is he going to the Joint or will he sing like a canary and get off?

68. VancouverHab says:

Well, reading between the lines on the P.K. clip, he doesn’t like Therrien–which is right because Therrien obviously doesn’t like Subban’s character-personality (one speculates on the most obvious reason why).

I repeat what I have sai since Therrien was hired: this won’t end well.

PS: credit to the reporters for asking the hard questions. Now lets ask Therrien the same….

• DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

I agree. hope they stand behind the player this time. I think PK would only respect someone as quick, quick-witted as himself. Therrien is as articulate as a stump (based on the 24H I saw tonight).

• CH Marshall says:

I agree, today is the first time I’m thinking PK is just biding his time and seeing how it unfolds.

69. jsaz says:

Prust, patch, bourqe I like that combo

70. donmarco says:

I’m going to weigh in on the PK Olympic thread. I hope he doesn’t make the team. I want him angry, rested and ready to go for the playoff push. In fact, I dread that up to 9 of the Habs may be playing for their respective teams and fear that could lead to a post-Olympics let down, let alone the possibility of being injured. I’m a very proud Canadian, but think I love the Habs more than our Olympic team. IMHO.

71. frontenac1 says:

My wife likes Port. Guess I should shut the f*ck up right now.

72. Lafleurguy says:

Did anyone drink Port during the Summit?

“May you live in interesting times.”

It’s a darn good thing Scotty Bowman isn’t running this team anymore, he would have run PK, Price, Markov, MaxPac all off this team by now.

Sure hope PK and the other players have thicker skin than many posters here.

• savethepuck says:

It is amazing the amount of people here that think some of our professional athletes are a bunch of whining cry babies that are going to take their ball and go home at the first chance they get because of some unfactual perceived controversies.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price