Habs’ Emelin signs four-year contract extension

Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday that defenceman Alexei Emelin has been signed to a four-year contract extension that will run through the 2017-18 season. The deal is reported to be worth $16.4 million, an average of $4.1 million per season.

Emelin hasn’t played since suffering a knee injury on April 6 against the Boston Bruins. He skated with his teammates for the first time since suffering the injury during Thursday’s practice in Brossard while wearing a no-contact jersey. The defenceman underwent reconstructive knee surgery on May 21 to repair both the aneterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments.

“We are very happy to have secured a long term agreement with Alexei,” Bergevin said in a statement. “He is an important part of our group of core players. He shows a very good work ethic and has a good attitude. He can play big minutes against the opponents’ best players, and hard-hitting defencemen of his type are hard to find. We are very confident that he will fully recover from his knee injury and be able to compete at a high level for many years to come.”

Said Emelin, who thinks he might return to the lineup by mid-November: “I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team.”

In 38 games last season with the Canadiens, Emelin posted 3-9-12 totals and and led the team with 110 hits.

After practice Thursday, coach Michel Therrien confirmed that George Parros, sidelined since suffering a concussion in the season opener on Oct. 1, will play Friday night in Minnesota (8 p.m., RDS, TSN Radio 690) and that Carey Price will start in goal.

Max Pacioretty, who has been sidelined since Oct. 15 with a lower-body injury but practised Thursday, is expected to play this weekend. The Canadiens will be in Colorado Saturday to face rookie coach Patrick Roy and the Avalanche (10 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

The two-game road trip will be a father/son event for the Habs. A number of the Habs fathers attended practice Thursday before heading out on the road with their sons. The only injured players who won’t make the road trip are Emelin, Travis Moen and Davis Drewiski.

Parros shaved off his trademark moustache on Thursday for the start of “Movember”. He then sent out this tweet, along with a photo of his clean-shaven face: “Day 1 is always a sad day… Donate in memory of my former facial hair”

Brandon Prust also shaved off his beard and moustache for “Movember”. His girlfriend, Maripier Morin sent out this tweet afterwards: “bye bye beard..hello movember @brandonprust8 !! #willmissyou #stache”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at Thursday’s practice:

Galchenyuk – Eller – Gallagher
Bournival – Plekanec – Gionta
Bourque – Desharnais – Leblanc
Blunden – White – Pacioretty
Parros

Markov – Subban
Gorges – Diaz
Murray – Bouillon
Emelin – Pateryn

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Michael Farber special guest on this week’s HIO Show

Parros, Pacioretty set to return to Habs’ lineup, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Canadiens smart to get Emelin signed now, NHL.com

Father knows best, Canadiens.com

How Gauthier helped the Habs as GM, Sportsnet.ca

Sabres’ Scott suspended for seven games, NHL.com

Avs goalie Varlamov could be charged with assaulting girlfriend, montrealgazette.com

Avalanche trades Downie to Flyers for Talbot, NHL.com

Avalanche to retire Foote’s jersey Saturday, coloradoavalanche.com

Babcock’s leadership key to Canada’s repeat hopes at Olympics, NHL.com

Scary Goalie Masks (photo gallery), SI.com

Hockey Fright Night (photo gallery), SI.com

Spurgeon steps into leadership role with Wild, minnesotawild.com

1. Habilis says:

Wow, this is the first time in a while that I’m totally shocked by the poll results.

Are there really that many people who think that MT is managing P.K. properly right now? Did MT create like 700 accounts to balance the numbers?

P.K. is the reigning Norris trophy winner and one of the top 4 or 5 D-men on the planet right now, and he doesn’t play on the penalty kill, doesn’t play 27-30 minutes a night like he should. Half of you are fine with that?

Color me surprised.

• galchenyuk27 says:

It surprises me how ppl still don’t think for themselves im just glad your not coaching this team.

• Habilis says:

So because I have an opinion that differs from yours, I can’t think for myself? That’s pretty rational.

I’m not of this mind because it’s the cool thing to do, I’m of this mind because I can’t think of one single Norris trophy winner who doesn’t play on the PK and who doesn’t lead his team in ice time. Erik Karlsson even plays on the PK for Pete’s sake.

• galchenyuk27 says:

yeah and Ottawa can let there star player go down with Charlie horses. Habs cant afford to loose there star player for nothing. just shows that mt is smarten then the walrus in Ottawa

• galchenyuk27 says:

ive had to deal with a case like this all year with one of my players. Cody Paivarinta 6 foot 5 185 pound 15 year old. Everytime he touches someone it was an elbowing call, so in close games and we are winning hes sitting on the bench.

• Timo says:

The question is about minutes played on penalty kill rather than managing a player in general.

So for me, I agree that it’s not a big deal that Subban doesn’t play much on PK because Habs are doing ok in that department anyway.

But as far is Therrien’s attitude towards Subban and his constantly ripping him in the media (and I can only imagine behind the closed doors) – he stinks.

So, two different questions.

• Cal says:

Be surprised, then. PK is 24 and still has plenty to learn and still has lots of potential. We’ve seen many flashes of how good he can be. We’ve seen many flashes of how young he is, as well.
      Since MT and JJ Daigneault have been working with him, PK has won the Norris. So, yes, MT is handling him just fine.

• My feelings exactly. Poorly coached, underutilized players who routinely have their confidence wrecked in the media don’t win the Norris.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• galchenyuk27 says:

ive been coaching Abbotsford AAA tier 1 squad for 3 years now and I treat them the same. They see that you care and want them to be better and they get that. I have had at least 3 players every year drafted to the whl. So am I also doing the wrong thing

• likehoy says:

19 players average more ice time than PK Subban, only 2 of them have won the Norris trophy.

Subban not playing on the PK keeps him fresh for 5 on 5 and to be able to play almost all 2 minutes of every power play.

it’s good coaching if you ask me.

If plekanec played less PK time, he might score more points 5 on 5..

• Habilis says:

Your comment made me curious, so I went and checked.

You’re right, there are only 2 players ahead of P.K. who have won the Norris: Karlsson and Keith. You neglected to mention that there are only 3 other Norris winners still active in the NHL, total. The one behind P.K. is Chara, and he’s 36 years old.

2. jrshabs1 says:

I don’t think a proven NHL veteran like Murray should be compared to 2 rooks. Murry brings an element that the other 2 haven’t earned yet..respect! Ask opposing players who they would least like to play against out of the 3? Does anybody think N. Kadri will be flying by the post throwing big blindside hits when Murray is one of the D on the ice? Murrray is a tank and he’s exactly what the Habs need on the back end. Drop Diaz and add Tinordi..that would be the better option.
    P.K.-Markov
    Georges-Emelin
    Bouillon-Murray
    Tinordi.
    Pretty solid D.

Go Habs Go!!

I wonder when it will be released/public knowledge what next years salary cap will be?

I have to believe Owners/GM’s have a pretty good idea what it will rise to, but is there a specific time in the year when they release the next years cap?

4. Stevie.Ray says:

Sometimes I forget that our best goal scorer has been injured and not in the lineup. Things are looking up once Pacioretty is back.

Will he be forced back onto DD’s line? Will they give him Bournival’s spot with Pleks and Gio. What will Therrien do? Find out next time on: BATMAN

5. shiram says:

The issue with the 4.1 millions Emelin is not that is not worth that money, but more so it concerns for the future years on our cap.
    Granted the team is bound to look different next season, with all the UFAs that might or might not be re-upped.
    I’m hoping we see more moves from Bergevin, he has not been too active as a GM concerning player transaction, so it will be interesting to see how he does.

6. GrimJim says:

Did any one else notice that the Habs now have a natural right-handed d-man playing with a natural left-handed dman on all four pairings?

EDIT: Nope goofed with Murray. so it’s three of the four pairings

7. Lafleurguy says:

Question: who has had the most impact in the few games each has played, Tinordi, Beaulieu, or Murray?

“May you live in interesting times.”

8. Johnny9 says:

Ya Phaneuf over Emelin at 4.1, but Phaneuf is looking for 7 years for 50mil, so no thank you! @smartdog. Gorges signing was done by Gauthier and not MB

@mattyleg
    If Gorges is worth 3.9, Emelin is worth 6 lol! It’s a good signing!

9. JUST ME says:

Just can`t deny that when he got injured last season is exactly when the wheels slowly fell off the wagon for the habs. As we can see right now the habs can do pretty good without him but with him they get a respect that no other can generate . Even if we have Prust,Parros,Murray ,White in the lineup it still is not the same without Emelin taking care of things.

10. Lafleurguy says:

Is Emelin still improving? The main reason I bring this up is to actually focus attention on the large collection of young defencemen the Habs have. Emelin was drafted 9 years ago and is in his third year with the team. It’s true when there is advice to be more patient with defence prospects.

“May you live in interesting times.”

11. @Dunboyne Mike, sorry I just saw your post now. Thought I’d reply up here so it doesn’t get lost on the 2nd page.

For me, Phaneuf brings a big shot that we could really use on the 2nd wave of the PP, paired with some slick passing from Diaz. He’s physical, hits hard and wins puck battles, and is at least average defensively despite some definite gaffes. Toronto tries to cast him as another Chara, and he’s just not that guy. But on a 2nd pairing, he’d look fantastic IMO.

Of course, I’m happy we got Emelin, and for a price that I think is a high but reasonable. But I do think Phaneuf’s a better asset.

12. --Habs-- says:

I would prefer
    Bourque Leblanc MaxPac

Put Dd on the 3rd. If he’s doing nothing and they don’t want to sit him put him on a line with 2 though guys.

Go HABS Go

13. showey47 says:

Very reasonable IMO. He gets at least 4 years and maybe even more dough on the ufa market. GM’s would have been lining up when the ufa market opened.

14. Bob_Sacamano says:

I´m very happy with this deal!

Even if Emelin eventually drops down to the third pair this contract isn´t really going to hurt us like certain others…

While I love his hits and his aggressiveness I think he´s still underrated offensively. Especially when he gets to play on the left he moves the puck pretty well.

Interestingly enough Emelin had 12 points last season. Not a single one on the PP. Subban had 38, 26 of these on the PP. I also think Emelin was third on our team in EV ice time but I´m not sure where I saw that.

15. mark-ID says:

@Timo;

you seem to be getting excited about this team? just a little bit maybe?

16. FANHABULOUS says:

I LOVE this signing… we definitely need a guy like him on our roster. Solid on D, hits like a monster and is not afraid to do it, and even has some offensive upside as others have pointed out. If you’re worrying about the annual amount, THAT IS THE GOING RATE for that type of player (look around the league). If he declined and went UFA, he could get 5mil from teams like Edmonton in a heartbeat.

We now have the type of balance we’ve been craving for a while. A nice mix of young talented skill guys, and some physicality to back it up. On D, we can have a heavy hitting guy on every line (Subban, Emelin and Murray) which will make any opposition line on the ice have to take notice as they cross the blue line, since any of those guys can crush them. I’ve already noticed not many players try to go down the wall on Subban’s side, cause they know he’s looking for that hit, they chip it in and come down the inside.

Also, with Murray, Parros, Prusty, White and Moen, we have guys on the ice that can take care of goons trying to run our younger skilled guy.

I like the way MB is shaping this team!

____________________________________
    “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

17. PADPZ says:

I’d like to see him on the 2nd PP with Diaz. He controls the puck very well and has a hard slapshot. Would be much better than the no-vision/no-slapshot Bouillon, who lets all agree, if it wasnt for his long Relationship with MT, wouldn’t get so much icetime.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

He had a bit of PP time the last few seasons. What I liked about him is he gets it on net. He doesn’t have a shot like PK or vision like Markov (who does?), but he manages to get his shots through, which for a second PP is good.

• Love Bouillon. I hope they re-sign him — but as a 7th defenceman only.

• habsguru says:

have you been watching frankie??? he has been a beast. great hands, sneaky on the pinch, and wait for it……. drops the gloves when he gets pissed off. i too was undecided until i watched him play live. very under rated.

18. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Hopefully this means they are just letting Diaz walk. Does he hold any trade value at all? Without a contract, probably nothing, eh? With a very reasonable contract, maybe a team would add him?

• FANHABULOUS says:

I think the writing is on the wall for Diaz. He can be flipped at the deadline for at least a second rounder.

____________________________________
      “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Fransaskois says:

He holds a lot of value in a trade to a contender. He’s a top-4 OFD getting paid ~1.5mil. No, he doesn’t bring the physicality but he does bring good, responsible defensive play and can log a lot of minutes. I could see him bringing in a 2nd or an equivalent prospect. Very underrated player.

I’m expecting he’ll get paid around 3mil in the offseason, don’t think it will be us signing him though if Markov is sticking around.

• I was not a Diaz fan, but I’m coming around. Pair him with a physical Murray type and I think he can be really effective. Slick passer, weak but accurate shot, and a lot better in the D zone and on the PK than I gave him credit for. If he’s on our 3rd pairing, we’re in excellent shape.

• galchenyuk27 says:

Edmonton would drool over him id take there 2nd or 3rd for him you know its going o be a good pick anyways.

• FANHABULOUS says:

Agree with both comments. Plus, if he keeps putting up points, and people start looking at him like a Streit or the Wiz, then he may even bring a 1st round pick from a contender who really needs that extra offense.

____________________________________
        “You will not regret picking me” – PK Subban.

• Yup. Imagine a playoff team loses an offensive D near the deadline. If Beaulieu is NHL-ready, Diaz is expendable, and we can ship him for a gritty forward prospect.

• galchenyuk27 says:

I say play him a bit with markov that guy makes everyone look better then they are.

• galchenyuk27 says:

its looking like Winnipeg is struggling with cormier id look into that for diaz. kids got heart and captained team Canada juniors. Hes a centermen bigger then all ours right now.

19. frontenac1 says:

Avs trade Downie for Max Talbot.

20. --Habs-- says:

Why is everyone so surprised about the money! The injury? Its 2013 folks! What happened to the Habs after we lost him last year? He’s not tough in terms of fighting although he didn’t back down from Chara last year! I think this is a great signing. He’s a character player that has a huge role on this team that doesn’t show up on stats sheets.

Go HABS Go

21. Old Bald Bird says:

Emelin is more than .2ml better than Gorges. Not to belittle Josh either. But holy crap folks, Habs are watching his recovery closely and much feel confident.

22. TheDagger says:

Solid deal for a solid player that definitely makes the Habs a better, more difficult team to play against.
    What I don’t get is how some people think contract negotiations go something like this:
    MB: “I would like to pay you 3 million per year”.
    AE and Agent: “Ok”.

23. slamtherimtim says:

and congrats to HIO for finally breaking some canadiens news ,

24. Stevie.Ray says:

Talbot for Downie? Weird trade. Wasn’t Downie just tearing it up on the Duchene/Landeskog line? I mean those other two guys were probably doing all of the heavy lifting, but why move a guy that was complementing them well? Attitude problem? Cap issues? I don’t get the trade. Both are fairly similar players.

25. slamtherimtim says:

4 mil way too much on a short year and injury, reminds me of Markov deal , pk must be woth 20M

26. wild flower says:

Keith ATOI 24:59 -2 8 points
    PK ATOI 24:33 +4 11 points

Wonder if Keith will make the Olympic team..

27. mdp2011 says:

adater ‏@adater 6m
    I’m five minutes from boarding flight to Dallas, but Avs just traded Steve Downie for Max Talbot.

28. Forum Dog says:

Glad to see Emelin locked up but, like others, am a bit surprised by the money. Part of me wonders if the Quebec taxation plays into it (i.e. players want a bit more money to off-set the amount of tax they have to pay to live and play in Montreal).

A $3M cap hit on Emelin would have made more sense IMO, especially considering he is coming off major knee surgery and has only played a few NHL seasons. Regardless, if they can make the money work he is one hell of a hockey player.

29. krob1000 says:

So…does Parros ask Konpoka or Stoner right off the bat to go to prove to himself he is back?

30. Thomas Le Fan says:

Wow Varlamov! Some of these Russians seem to have a problem with Wodka, nyet? Of course, it could be a conspiracy to affect the Russian national team. Sure.
    Before you accuse me of some kind of bigotry, Google Russian men, alcholism and age expectancy. Russian men are somewhere down around Bangladeshis and Somalis.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

31. Fransaskois says:

I don’t think this is a good signing entirely because of the timing. He’s coming off of a huge surgery and we’ve yet to see him play in any capacity. If the reason he was signed early was to save money, where are the savings? He’s signed at about .5mil below league/UFA value. We’re risking another huge contract (like Desharnais’s) to save .5mil. If he comes back anywhere below his absolute highest level of play he’s shown, he won’t be worth the salary or the term. I think this is a very high risk move without a lot of return if it’s to go our way.

32. Walmyr says:

Emelin you be a Hab until 2018 and this is a very good news…Too hard to talk about the money spent on this contract in this days NHL.

How much money you need to sign a D player with The Tank’s abilities?
    And, in our case, we don’t have another guy like him on our roster…maybe some of the kids?…no, I don’t think so…at least for 3-4 years…
    We need The Tank!…and 4.1 MM for a guy we really need is not too much.

Now we have to talk about what we will do with the players we do not need and earn around 4 MM…that’s the main issue…

CHeers

33. habsfan0 says:

I like this signing a great deal more than what happened to Rob Ford today.
    Emelin’s future does appear to be brighter than Ford’s.

34. Buzz Lightbeer says:

The hit at 0.26 always makes me all giggly.

• Say Ash says:

Notice that every victim picks himself up, dusts himself off and moves along. No team thinks he made a dirty hit – except the Bruins, with Thornton taking a run at him.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

Ya. Doesn’t come in with an elbow like a torpedo or a stupid bunny hop right before contact. seems like all his power comes from a strong lower center of gravity. Good clean hip checks and those hits that get you right in the chest,might knock the wind out of you.

35. bwoar says:

Good contract, especially considering what Gorges is being paid. Emelin hits harder and has an underrated offensive side to his game. His first passes are better, his shot is better, and he’s a much better option on the second wave of the powerplay than Boullion, Gorges, etc.

If he started getting 25-30 pts. a year he’d cost upwards of that number, and it’s not outrageous to think he could get there.

“thoroughbred”

36. mark-ID says:

What a good news day in Habs land! Things are looking good.

I hope Gorges decided to bring his grandma with him on this fathers trip.

37. Propwash says:

It’s a good deal for both sides. He could have made quite a bit more on the free agent market.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

38. krob1000 says:

Would you sign PK for 76 million for 10 years?

39. knob says:

Defence, at the end of this season:
    Gorges 3.9mil
    Emelin 4.1 mil
    Drewiski 637k
    Tinordi EL Contract/AHL
    Beaulieu EL Contract/AHL
    Markov UFA
    Subban RFA
    Bouillon UFA
    Diaz UFA
    Murray UFA

Somewhere along the line MB will either have to move Gorges, unless we are fine keeping one of Markov, Diaz, Murray (Assuming Bouillon is done); or keep Tinordi and Beaulieu in the minors for yet another season.

I would prefer to see the defence somehow shake out like this:
    Markov-Subban
    Emelin-Diaz
    Beulieu-Murray
    Tinordi

A good mix of smash mouth D, PP guys, and PK guys

40. Lafleurguy says:

Emelin is very likeable because of his courage in coming back from massive facial damage and still continuing a physical style. Over on that other site, they probably have analyzed this signing in Fenwick/Corsi currency. Emelin basically had a lockout-shortened season only as a regular. He had protected minutes the non-playoff year before. Bergevin has rolled the dice once again.

“May you live in interesting times.”

I am going to differ with you Guy, respectfully. Emelin needed some adjustment from bigger ice to smaller, and once comfortable was a very steady and reliable dman. I believe we will see him grow into a much bigger role, including 2nd wave PP with Diaz. Emelin did work powerplay in the KHL and I believe also for the Russian World Championship team.

I don’t think there is much rolling the dice. I am very comfortable with this deal.

CHeers Andrew!

• Lafleurguy says:

This is one of the finer attributes of the HIO forum, viz., disagreeing with buds based on perceptions we each have, and not getting slammed for a genuine opinion. Puts me in a bad light to bring this up, but I wasn’t as unwavering as you were in supporting Price during his “slump” last spring. We both have him (Price) listed as a favourite current player. I would be as thrilled as any fan if Emelin continues to improve, but the “Bobby Orr” index puts Alexei in a higher risk category for future down time due to injury. Others in that category are Prust and Gionta. Pacioretty is knocking on the door. Is Patches’ deal at 4.0 or is it higher? Cheers bud.

“May you live in interesting times.”

5 more yrs. at 4.5 for Patches. I hear you on the Bobby Orr index, and you have good cause to be cautious. Perhaps somewhere in the middle lies the expected outcome of these players.

41. Ghosts of the Forum says:

For what it’s worth, LeBrun thinks the deal was fair. Cites Volchenkov and Bieska as comparables.

42. habs1992 says:

With regards to Subban Contract. Subban’s camp is looking for 8.5 annually while MB will counter with 6.5 million a year, They will most likely settle at around 7.5-7.75 million year for 6 years roughly.This will Give Subban another chance to cash in again at the end of this contract as he will only be 30.

I support Carey Price
    “Habs Insider”

43. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Put me down for Like This Deal.

44. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Good for Emelin.
    I hope his knee recovers well and he still plays with an edge. Seeing how he is willing to fight Chara with a metal plate in his face i don’t see that being a problem.
    Cyberdyne Systems Model t-101.

45. jamman says:

Am I alone when I say 8mill is too much for Subban?

• Bill says:

No, not alone, you’re with all the other people who don’t know what the top defencemen in the NHL make when they sign long-term deals.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• jamman says:

Karlsson makes 6.5. I guess were kinda hand-cuffed given the fact that if we hold out and refuse to give him 8, there are multiple teams that will

• bwoar says:

If there were still 13 / 14 year deals out there, we might get Subban at a cap hit closer to 7.5m. But 8 years, 8 million is plently likely and 8 @ 8.5m is foreseeable. I’d go so far as to speculate there may be an extra 3-9m “payback” negotiated for the work he’s doing during his current contract.

“thoroughbred”

• jamman says:

Im just paranoid we’ll sign him 8mill 8 years and then he’ll sit back. Lol how could you not? This is where the NFL has it right in that teams can release players… you dont produce, your gone

46. Habs_Norway says:

Yeeeessss!!! YEEEESSS!!!!
    Best news since my birthday, 6th january when they cancelled the lockout. Ai ai ai, this calls for a celebration!
    Maybe i change my signature now.. or maybe ten more years?

______________________________________
    Say no to visors and sign Emelin for 10 years

47. Bill says:

We need Emelin, but that is a lot of cap space for a defensive dman. We already have Gorges making about twice as much as he should for some reason.
    Full Breezer 4 Life

I like that both Parros and Murray will (hopefully) be available for the game against the senaturds next week. Maybe Moen too (did they say one week?)

49. Un Canadien errant says:

My only qualm with this contract is that it quashes any hope that we could sew up P.K. at $4.5 or thereabouts, his agent will probably use this deal as ammunition to ask for an amount north of 5 million.

50. Phil C says:

I think Emelin is the best open ice hitter in the NHL. He also loves doing it. At 220lbs he is also incredibly mobile for a big man. Not surprising, as you must be a good skater to hit like that, although it also takes great timing.

I gained even more appreciation for Emelin when I heard Evander Kane talking about him in an interview, saying how you need to know when Emelin is on the ice. It was very obvious that Emelin was in his head. The fact that he gets into the heads of the opposition is a valuable intangible benefit of Emelin’s game.

Between Emelin and Murray, crossing the blueline will soon become a lot more dangerous for the opposition. Can’t wait to see it.

I wonder who he will be paired with when back. It does look like Markov and PK is working out best. But to put PK with Gorges? I just don’t think that is best. But what do I know!

• Phil C says:

I wish they could find a way to get Emelin back on the left side. Maybe a trade? I don’t like making trade suggestions because too many people get their knickers in a knot. One option would be:

Markov-Subban
      Emelin-Diaz
      Murray-Gorges

• Luke says:

I think this is what we’ll see as the top-6 when he’s back. Platoon of Boullion and Murray (and maybe a tri-toon of Diaz depending on the situation).

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’d actually like to see PK with Emelin. Emelin is the type of presence that would balance PK’s game well.

But with the PK/Markov pairing going so well, would be hard to split them up.

Emelin – Gorges would be a good shut down pairing while we wait for Tinordi/Beaulieau to be ready for the show.

In the future….Tinordi – Emelin.

I like that.

I love this signing.

53. frontenac1 says:

Oh Yeah Amigos! The Tank,The Crank,and The Swank! “Let it Roll.Down The Highway. Let it Roll,Roll,Roll!”

54. Un Canadien errant says:

I think it was Pierre Lebrun (EDIT: it was Bob McKenzie) who had this one right on The Insiders on Tuesday on TSN, he said that out of all the defencemen with expiring contracts, the Canadiens were closest to a deal with Alexei.

Four years at $4.1M sounds a little steep, but it’s the cost of doing business. It would be hard for Marc Bergevin to offer less than that when Josh Gorges makes $3.9M. It will expire when Alexei is 32, so theoretically this deal will cover his peak or prime seasons.

Fair deal on both sides.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• Luke says:

It was McKenzie for the sake of unnecessary corrections.

I like the deal. I’m an Emelin fan. I think 4.1 is reasonable. Gunnarsson is 3.5 in Toronto… and I know who I’d rather have.

Hopefully we don’t have to go through anymore “Look at his fat Belly!” discussions.

Took me a long time to write my thoughts and leave it without discussion on the last page, so I rudely put it up here again.

Some of you guys are making a mountain out of a molehill, there is absolutely nothing going on between PK and Therrian. Except for the fact that Therrian wants to use PK’s min’s, for best results for the team.
    It will change with each game because of the different style and play of the opposition.
    No player’s body can play with top intensity for 30 min’s per game for 82 games and have something left for the play offs.

I think the coach is doing a masterful job at keeping our team above the middle of the pack, even with the large holes in the line up night after night, that would have surely sunk any other team.

We have one of the most efficient and skilled GM and coaching staff in this league, giving us, the fans, a great year so far of quality entertainment.
    Just sit back and enjoy the growth and development as we get healthier and build the chemistry needed to go deep into the playoffs. We are definitely going in the correct long term direction.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

56. habs-fan-84 says:

Wow, great news all around! Unfortunately I’m going to miss both games this weekend…boo!

57. Caesar says:

Said Emelin: “I am very pleased to be a member of the Montreal Canadiens organization for the coming years. I love Montreal and I am confident that I will soon return to the ice fully recovered from my injury and contribute to the success of our team.”

Loosley translated from : Efff Yaa and the Kaching noise

58. shiram says:

Great to hear we’ll get both Patches and Parros back this week-end, though one has to wonder at Parros effectiveness without his authority mustache.

Still not a peep concerning Brière though.

Here are some comparables by Caphit to Emelin, I think it shows that MB got a reasonable deal, for a very important part of our Defense Core.

Name Age Team Length Start Expiry Salary Cap Hit Cap Pct Delta
    Hamhuis, Dan » 30 VAN 6 2010 2016 $4,250,000 $4,500,000 7.58% $500,000
    Myers, Tyler » 23 BUF 7 2012 2019 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 7.83% $500,000
    Pitkanen, Joni » 30 CAR 3 2011 2014 $4,500,000 $4,500,000 7.00% $500,000
    Coburn, Braydon » 28 PHI 4 2012 2016 $5,500,000 $4,500,000 6.41% $500,000
    Wisniewski, James » 29 CLB 6 2011 2017 $6,000,000 $5,500,000 8.55% $500,000

60. Dunboyne Mike says:

It bubbled up here a couple of times yesterday, in the heat of discussion concerning PK’s ice-time, that MT is only an interim coach, to be replaced by a REAL coach when we’re ready to go for the Cup.

Is there any foundation for this or is it something that sprouted out of the HIO fertilizer pit?

• Timo says:

The latter. All started by Boone.

• Luke says:

I wouldn’t say interim, and wasn’t part of that conversation, BUT I’d sat MT is here for one or two more seasons. Usual life span for a coach these days seems about 3 years.

That’s why I’d never get rid of a star or promising player who conflicts with the coach. Force them to work it out (Yak/Eakins; Gardiner/Carlyle etc)…. you know… treat them like adults and expect them to act accordingly.

• JUST ME says:

I do not think that this was really planned but since a coach lasts in average 3 to 4 years behind an NHL bench then there is a part that may end up to be the thruth after all.

Of course this is has a lot to do with the team`s performance over the years and the players given to the coach over those years. And even if you guys do not want to admit it Therrien is the guy so far !

61. Stevie.Ray says:

Bit high for my taste. He’s really only had two season (both shortened) and he is coming off a knee surgery. Not sure if he will be able to compete at a high level for long. Would have preferred something around 3.5m.

That said, I am a fan of Emelin and like having a guy like him in the lineup. Hope he comes back and plays like a legitimate top 4 physical defenceman.

According to RDS Parros will play tomorrow. Woo!!!

This turning out to be a pretty good day so far.

63. SmartDog says:

Emelin is great.

But what I don’t get about this signing (or DD’s or Gorges for that matter) is that at 4.1 why not go 2 year or 3 years. It’s not like in 2-3 years time you’re going to have to pay him 6 instead. He’s not that kind of player. So lock him in at 3 or 3.5. But why lock in OVER 4 million? Doesn’t make sense to me. Unnecessary risk.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Must be part of the master plan of Bergevin.

• JUST ME says:

Even though your comment makes sense it is a bit naive. Emelin is not any different from the others and his agent plays his cards. As you and 1 know what Emelin is worth ,you can be sure that his agent also is well aware of his value other than goals and assists for the team.

• Ozmodiar says:

Exactly. With Emelin being a UFA, MB didn’t get to choose the terms. He had to negotiate the terms.

For all we know, Emelin could have asked for 8 years. …or, the KHL could have been knockin’ on the door with a 5 year deal.

• Ozmodiar says:

> But why lock in OVER 4 million?

Here’s your answer:

“Emelin is great.”

• mdp2011 says:

Hmmm, maybe because his agent knows what he’s doing? He would have gotten over 4 as a UFA, so probably no way he was going to sign for less.

• Luke says:

Perhaps they negotiated him down from the 6 year, $6 million he was asking for at the start?

4.1 is similar to Gorges’ 3.9. It’s a pretty fair deal. They are fairly comperable in terms of role on the team (4th/5th guy, penalty killer, no offense. While Emelin hits better, Gorges blocks better…)

4.1 seems fair & manageable.

• GrosBill says:

I would think he could have easily gotten a similar contract had he become a UFA this summer.

Less would have been nice, but it does seem fair. I expected to hear $3.75M (ish).

I am happy to hear we have him for four more years myself.

Hope he is 100% soon, love watching him level people.

64. Phil C says:

Great contract for a very important player. As a pending UFA, he could have probably gotten more on the open market, so I think it is a good price for a mobile top four intimidating defensemen. I wouldn’t even take Phaneuf straight up for Emelin and he will cost the leafs in excess of $7M.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

You nailed it re Emelin over Phaneuf. Really hope his recovery will be 100%. Nasty damage.

• Phil C says:

Yes, it is a nasty injury. The only good thing about ACL surgery is the grafting techniques they use does actually repair the injury so that you can make a strong recovery.  its not like some other injuries where you have permanent loss of range or function.

• I like the signing too, but to be fair, I’d take Phaneuf over Emelin at $4.1M per. : )

• Phil C says:

You may be right, but you can have him. ;-) Phaneuf is more offensive, has a much better shot, but is prone to brain cramps.

The fact that it is even arguable shows that there is good value in Emelin’s contract. Or poor value in what Phaneuf wants. Or both.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cautious, you’ve probably seen more of Phaneuf playing than I’ve been able to over the course of his career. What I have seen has always made me think that he is over-rated. Quite big, but tends only to hit guys smaller than he is, not fast, has some offensive upside, not enough to compensate for what looks like defensive down-side. Enlighten me! (asked sincerely).

• Luke says:

Phaneuf: Over rated at 6.5m but would be an absolute steal at 4.1m

He’s miscast as the #1 D in Toronto. He’d be a stud next to Markov on the PP and second pair. So much so, TO would end up signing him as an UFA to twice what he deserves…

• Lafleurguy says:

Phaneuf scored a lot of clutch goals against the Habs. Emelin doesn’t have Phaneuf’s offence.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Phil C says:

That’s true and you have to pay for offense from the blueline in the NHL. However given that Montreal already has Markov and Subban, Emelin’s skill set is a much better fit right now. He is exactly what they are missing to bring them to the next level.

• ont fan says:

Phaneuf is going to get over 50 m. Emelin contract seems more than fair.

65. adamkennelly says:

no brainer – love this deal…can’t wait to watch him smear some Leafs and Bruins…unfortunately Habs need to make sure they have some protectors around him for when the goons come calling in response to his devastating hits…

66. jamman says:

I have to say im a little skeptical. I would have waited until he was back playing and showed he was 100%.

67. Bripro says:

Imagine letting Emelin test the free agency market?
    A team poor on defence, like Edmonton, would have surely paid far more.
    This is a great deal.
    Having PK, Emelin and Murray on the line is like the NHL equivalent of a brick wall.
    Bring ‘em on!

• Habfan10912 says:

Hi Brian. Do you think it says something about the progress of his rehab? I can’t wait to see him back on our blueline.

• Bripro says:

Hi Jim. How’s NY doing, especially after last night’s Sox win?

Local media reports are saying his rehab program is relentless.
        He should be back earlier than expected.

• Timo says:

I think it’s a good deal. Emelin has shown that he is ready to lay it all out on the line and he played hard, unlike some other players who make about the same.

Good signing. I hope he stays healthy for the better part of these next 4 years.

68. Seems a bit steep, but not insane for what he brings.

Worried about the cap situation next year, though. Briere and Desharnais will eat up some $7.5M, and Subban probably $8M more. Unless the cap goes way up, it’s going to be mighty hard to re-sign both Markov and Gionta (or replace them with something comparable). Harder still to upgrade at forward, where we need (expensive) gritty scorers and haven’t got any in the system. Tradewinds must be coming…

• Ozmodiar says:

Either Briere or Desharnais will be gone by next year.

Desharnais – trade
      or
      Briere – buyout, or LTIR

• Hope you’re right — that’s a lot of cap hit for two guys who still have some skills, but wouldn’t be missed if they were dealt tomorrow. Wouldn’t mind losing them both if we got a decent return.

69. IngersollHabsFan says:

Common sense signing….hopefully we can get him back in the ice in December!

“The sports page records people’s accomplishments, the front page usually records nothing, but man’s failures.” Earl Warren

70. likehoy says:

is it safe to say that contract negotiations is NOT Marc Bergevin’s strong point?

3.5 x 4 DD
    4.1 x 4 Emelin
    drawn out negotiations with Subban…

I love Emelin but I would have hoped for something closer to 3 per year.

71. Mattyleg says:

$4.1 is a great price.
    Over 4 years too. Cap will go up, and he’s still young.
    In 4 years, $4.1 will be considered a steal if he continues to develop the way he has.
    He’s the exact type of player we have all been talking about: a big, strong defenseman who hits hard, clears the net, and has excellent hockey sense.
    If you want a player like that, you have to pay for him.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• shiram says:

I love Emelin as a player, he’s a dose of what the Habs needed, but at 27 already, I’m not so sure he still has alot more of development to do.

• Ron says:

Lets hope he has healed properly and not just giving him a bit of a pension plan. If healthy, 4 years is awesome along with the cap hit over the term. Considering the bucks JG is getting this is great. Way to go MB.

72. Cal says:

The Tank remains a Hab. Bada-bing, bada-boom!

73. shiram says:

Seems high at 4.1 millions, but the cap will/should rise for the coming years.
    I’m glad we’ve secured him, as he was a key cog in our team last season, and he brings something no else does, a steady presence in our zone, while being able to play a physical game in a top 4 role.

He sees you

74. Habitforming says:

Decent for both parties involved.

Now get PK locked up!