Habs’ Emelin returns to Montreal for family reasons

Tomas Plekanec, who missed Saturday’s game against the Florida Panthers for family reasons, was back on the ice Monday morning in Florida as the Canadiens practised in preparation for Tuesday’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

But the Canadiens announced that defenceman Alexei Emelin had left the team to return to Montreal, also for family reasons. Emelin is expected to rejoin the team in Tampa on Tuesday and be ready to face the Lightning.

“We’re glad to have Pleky back because he does so many things for us,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters after the team practised Monday morning in Sunrise, Fla. “Alexei had to go home for personal reasons, but the good news is that he’ll be back tomorrow.”

Tuesday’s game against the Lightning could be a first-round playoff preview for the teams. The Canadiens (43-26-7) are in second place in the Atlantic Division, two points ahead of the Lightning (41-25-9) with Tampa Bay holding a game in hand. The Boston Bruins (52-17-6) have already clinched first place in the division. The second- and third-place teams in the division will meet in the first round of the playoffs with the second-place team having home-ice advantage.

Is Tuesday’s game a must-win for the Canadiens?

Not necessarily, coach Michel Therrien says.

“We’ll see where we are at the end,” Therrien told reporters. “Our goal is to make the playoffs and we’re in a playoff mindset. We’re going to play hard and it’s going to be good hockey game but, for us, it’s about how we play.”

Max Pacioretty isn’t overly concerned about home-ice advantage in the playoffs.

“Obviously, you want (home-ice advantage) but I’m kind of mixed on it,” he said. “It’s not the worst thing to play two games on the road and then get back into your own bed, but basically it’s the same ice, the same rink, the same players so it doesn’t matter.”

Josh Gorges, who has been out since March 5 with a broken hand, skated Monday with strength and conditioning coach Pierre Allard and hopes to return to the lineup for the final week of the regular season.

“There’s still some swelling and it’s sore around the incision, but it’s healing,” Gorges said Monday.

After Tuesday’s game, the Canadiens will enjoy a day off Wednesday in Florida, then practice in Tampa Thursday before flying to Ottawa, where they will face the Senators Friday night. The Detroit Red Wings will visit the Bell Centre on Saturday night.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Eller-Briere-Gionta
Bourque-White-Bournival
Parros

Markov-Weaver
Bouillon-Subban
Murray-Tinordi

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Tampa game looks like playoff preview for Habs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Habs post-practice interviews (video), Canadiens.com

Lightning points streak ends at 11 games, NHL.com

Latest Lightning news, Tampa Bay Times

McDonagh on the rise with Rangers, New York Times

Happy birthday to Mr. Hockey, NHL.com

Coach Nolan loses interim tag with Sabres, NHL.com

1. habnonymous1 says:

@mattyleg

re: “They haven’t left them reliant on charity appeals.
    Jeez, read some of the posts on this page. ”

The relevant posts and the reports they cite say exactly what you are denying – that the Bozon’s are being left to the charity of strangers rather than being looked after by their son’s ‘employer’.

You, yourself, have expressed regret that you don’t have time to organize a charity drive and offered to contribute to same.

You may have misunderstood the intent of both of my posts below but my point remains the same: the WHL/NHL should, out of their resources, make sure that players and their families are looked after and not left to the charity of strangers.

• Mattyleg says:

I see what you’re saying.
      But I don’t think the WHL has the money to foot those kinds of bills.
      Maybe I’m wrong…

• kalevine says:

After the fact that may be true. But providing adequate supplemental insurance beforehand might solve that problem. By and large these are healthy young men with fewer health issues than the general population. It’s alot cheaper to ensure hundreds against something like this that may only come along every 5 years than to pay for one case.

2. Maksimir says:

Wow – Beaulieu is now a team worst -17 in Hamilton… but Pateryn seems to be picking up on the offense.

Don’t think we’ll see either of these guys until next season at this point.

3. Hobie Hansen says:

Talking about making your stomach turn…

What about that contract Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers got handed to him recently? $300 Million!!!

Having a little trouble understanding how a player gets paid that much money in a bankrupt city that is crumbling around him? He flies home in a helicopter over people who are starving.

IMO the superstars in any league should be making a couple million, tops! lower the ticket prices, lower the concession prices and the amount the owners take home.

It will never happen cuz just like how everyone opens their wallet and pays ridiculous prices for Smartphones, Cable and Internet, without even putting up a fight, they’ll continue making professional sports owners and players obscenely rich.

What a bunch of chumps we are…

• Fansincebirth says:

True but Miguel has to find a way to spread that over 10 years ;-)

• Hobie Hansen says:

I just saw a documentary of Edwin Encarnacion of the Blue Jays driving around the Dominican Republic in a Porsche wearing gold chains and all that jazz. People in rags and dirty clothes were standing on the side of the street watching.

Had to turn the channel because it was boarding on offensive…

• WindsorHab-10 says:

Die hard Tigers fan but that contract made me sick, what was Dumbrowski thinking? Cabrera is 31 & will make $30M this year just as he’ll make $30M when he’s 41. I thought A-Rods contract with the Yankees was bad, this is a lot worse. No athlete or human is worth that kind of money. At this pace you wonder who the first $100M player will be.

@Hobie, Parros can no longer do what you are asking him to do.

5. DipsyDoodler says:

If you look at the list of players with the most fighting majors:

the 6 leaders have one thing in common: they are playing for non-playoff teams.

Here’s why, I think:

* The modern game is a high-tempo puck possession game.
    * This is tiring, so the good teams will roll four lines.
    * (Note how much better the Habs are whenever they have four lines that can play any time.)
    * A top team cannot afford to give up a spot to a pure enforcer.

You can argue that some of these players are OK, but if you play a Colton Orr or a Brian McGratton you’ll win fights but not too many games.
    —–
    Moving. Forward.

• Strummer says:

Good points.
      You will also notice the top tier teams don’t carry any of these 3-5 minute per night guys.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

• frontenac1 says:

Every team has an Enforcer or two amigo. It’s all about how and when they are used and what else they bring to the table. The Flames and Sens are a good example of one extreme of over use. The Pens and Bruins and Flyers are a good example of proper use. Complex issue of balance.

• twilighthours says:

The Pens’ and Bruins’ enforcers can take a reliable 4th line shift. We’d love to have a guy like Thornton or Engelland on the team. Or another Prust or two.

6. frontenac1 says:

@CJ. I would love to get Peluso amigo,but do you think the Jets would let him go? Might have a better shot at getting Rosehill away from Flyers. He has lost only one fight this year up in the show against Carkner and none down in Norfolk .

7. bwoar says:

@ CJ

You mentioned Anthony Peluso. Big fan right here (Winnipeg, naturally). I was a bit surprised to find he’s not actually related to good old Mike Peluso, but boy does he play tough hockey. That’s the kind of player MB needs to find as GP hangs ‘em up.

He doesn’t get much mention anywhere so I was glad to see his name on HIO.

8. HabFab says:

Picture of Tim with his teammates… looks like he has lost 40-50 pounds. Kid has a long recovery road ahead of him. I could donate the pounds lost but alas it wouldn’t be muscle… “sigh”

Yes indeed his road is extremely long. At this point I don’t think recovery includes playing high level hockey, but just regaining strength co-ordination etc…..

I’ve mentioned before, one of my friend had meningitis at an age similar to Tim. His one leg never did recover fully and simply never could get the same strength back, he had to literally learn all over again how to walk.

It is probably far to early to know just how much of a recovery he can make as it pertains to becoming a hockey player again, nevermind one with NHL potential.

9. Mavid says:

MT contract extension..Timo’s head must have just exploded..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

10. Say Ash says:

Those of you complaining about beer prices at the Bell, know that Montreal ranks 19th in 12-ounce cost at $5.37 (U.S., I presume) Rangers, Jets and Canucks top three, at $8.75, $7.68 and $7.44.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I didn’t see that 12 ounce beer when I was there in December. I just went right to the tall cans that were $8 or $10 a piece? Between the girlfriend and I we must have drank 5 or 6 each…ya, expensive f*&kin night! Add in the hotel, dinner, tickets.

I am totally fine watching the game on my big honking HD TV, drinking $2 tall cans and sleeping in my own bed for the next few years.

No matter how much money a person makes, you are getting so ripped off going to the games you’re an idiot. No offense people.

**Sorry if that was a bit harsh. Between the phone/internet/TV companies to Hydro/Gas to hockey games I’m so sick and tired of being bent over every time you turn around :-).**

I took a deep breath and feel better now. :-).

• Mattyleg says:

What’s the source for that?
      Someone has done their math seriously wrong.

A 475ml beer can (16 oz) costs $12.

At $0.75 per ounce, that gives us the most expensive beer in the league. And there are no ‘cheaper’ options, unlike other arenas.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Then you have this…

” Texas Rangers Ballpark in Arlington, Texas, is home to a $26 monster of a hot dog dubbed the “Boomstick,” a 2-foot-long beef hot dog, smothered in chili, nacho cheese, jalapenos and caramelized onions on a potato bun.

Gross sales in 3 years-$35 million

The Boomstick will be joined by the “Totally Rossome” Boomstick ($32), which is smothered with smoked brisket, fresh pico, sour cream and Doritos chips

When we first started talking about it, I was like gosh that’s a lot of meat,” Mattox said of the 1-pound burger topped with 8 ounces of bacon, grilled onions and cheese

• RH says:

Don’t know how many ounces it was but, all I know is that it cost me $32 for two beer (MGD) at the Scare Canada Center this past Saturday night. I DID only pay $5 for parking though so, I think I won out!

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Try going to the ACC. Last game I went to I order a beer and it cost me $17 plus tip. It was a big beer, but still, $17!!!

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• Luke says:

A buddy took me to a Habs/Leafs game many moons ago. During the second intermission I offered to buy him another beer, or a case when we got home.

• Luke says:

At the Icedogs (OHL) games it is $7.75 for a tallboy of Coors Light.
      So, for two beers it is $15.50.

At the LCBO (who also rip off the Ontarians) it is $13.20 for SIX of them.

Over the course of 34 homes games, the cost of a new coat with extra pockets is covered, and then some.

11. HabFab says:

The WHL web page for their Tim Bozon Fund donations;

So I wonder if we raised money here at HI/O, if it could be lumped together and then provided to this donation center, but show as money raised by a group of Habs fans.

So some nice positive discussion around helping Tim Bozon and his family. Habfab has pointed out that a donation program has already been setup through the WHL, however, it would be nice if Tim perhaps caught a glimpse of the power of the CH and its fans.

If indeed there is a shortfall for the young man, it would be great if we could help him, even if it is only a small percentage. I wonder if the best way to move forward is if either Mr. Boone, Mr. Cowan or Mr. Stubbs could talk to the Habs and see if they could utilize our spot here at HI/O to create a page, perhaps the Gazette would like to match the donations we raise?

Either way, I guess my point is it would be nice if whatever we raise could be sent to the family and he recognizes what being part of the Hab family is. I hope my motives don’t sound bad, kind of a weird thing to type out. I’m proud of us Habs fans and want a young prospect to know that.

• stephen says:

Yes, well said. It would be nice to organize that sort of gesture.

I might have missed it, but I must say I was disappointed that Mr. Cherry didn’t take any time during his segments to mention Bozon’s situation. I thought it would have been nice to send positive thoughts his way. Much as we like to malign him, he does often take the time to raise awareness of difficult situations like Tim’s.

Bozon is French.
        That should explain Cherry’s silence on the matter.

If he’d been from Wiarton, or Cold River, however…

• stephen says:

Ugh. What a shame that we must consider such a thing.

I see the gist of your statement, and I truly hope that you are wrong, and that rather on his past Coaches Corner it was an honest oversight.

I often criticize Cherry, but I watched firsthand as he helped a co-workers son, who did pass from Cancer at a young age. Don did a great deal to help this child with Make A Wish, the kid got to meet all the leafs, Don arranged for Domi to meet him, take him to a game, sit in a box, go to the dressing room after. Sittler and Clark came to see him at the game.

At the funeral Don sent condolences, flowers, etc……

He does have a huge heart for kids in hockey.

• Mattyleg says:

I have no doubt that Don has a heart of gold, but I am also too aware of his repeated demonstrations of xenophobia and disdain for ‘Europeans’.

I wonder if his huge heart for kids in hockey extends beyond our national borders, is all.

• stephen says:

Thanks for sharing that story, HB. He can be a crotchety old bag, but there nevertheless seems to be a good heart buried in there.

• frontenac1 says:

Agree Burly. He does have a big heart and isn”t quite what you expect in real life compared to his TV personality.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

A petition to the CHL that calls for them to allow the Habs to cover the cost would be great.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• HabFab says:

Tim has already signed his ETL contract and it has been mentioned that the CBA may hamper the involvement of the Habs in assisting him.

• CJ says:

I agree completely. I would be proud to give. As you have suggested, perhaps Mr. Boone can get things rolling.

• jamman says:

Very thoughtful of you Burly. I think its a great idea

• habs-fan-84 says:

Love this idea Burly!

13. Lafleurguy says:

Lightning’s leading scorers are Valterri Filippula, Ondrej Palat, and Tyler “Johnboy.” Victor Hedman’s just behind Subbie in scoring (same draft year, I think defensemen take longer to develop……who would have guessed?). Tyler Johnboy is like Desharnais, undrafted and small.

14. Habitforming says:

Chris Lee reffing tonight in Tampa. 2 Supervisors in attendance too (as per Dave Stubbs tweet)

Doesn’t look good.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Yup. Just as I was saying a few days ago, there’s a chance both teams are going to send a big message tonight. I haven’t seen any lines from the morning skate today but tonight is where Parros should be dressed. Murray and Tinordi should also both be in the lineup.

We know darn well guys like Gudas, Malone and whoever else will be running at Habs all night so here’s hoping Stamkos and Callahan are roughed up by the Habs as much as possible too.

It sucks Prust and Moen aren’t available. I’m just praying that we don’t suffer any injuries tonight or Friday against Ottawa because both game have the potential of being very physical.

Like Grapes would say, if you don’t like fights and the rough stuff, you should probably watch the Blue Jays for the next week or so.

• Say Ash says:

Having to watch the Jays for one week is pretty rough.

• frontenac1 says:

Couldn”t agree more Hobie. This is the time of year guys get run and injured. Heads up Hockey time.

I’m no longer convinced Parros can help, watching his wrestling match in Florida was sad. Pains me to say it, but he is a shell of what he once was as it relates to intimidating anyone on the ice.

• CJ says:

Agree 100%. That was very painful to watch if only because it painted a very clear picture of where George is right now. You can not fight scared. He had zero interest in engaging and hugged and held a vastly inferior fighter. That was the end of the farewell tour. Wishing Parros the best, but he has no future in the league.

• HabFab says:

Not only him, but the reaction of his teammates spoke volumes concerning his fragile condition.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ya I don’t expect much from Parros. Maybe deflect and deter some attention from our stars is all. Maybe he’ll be out to prove something and rough up some Lightening players.

• CJ says:

I love it when fighters force the issue. Nobody wants to fight, no problem. Get skating and start throwing checks to force the issue. Unfortunately Parros can’t do that. This is in stark contrast to Anthony Peluso. He bangs bodies and forces his opponent to react. At 24, he is an up and commer who is loaded for bear. Need an example, watch his fight with Cowan or Bordeleau.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree CJ. I’m hoping tonight is the rare occasion where Therrien instructs Parros to go out there and be aggressive. There’s also a chance that after his debacle of a season that he isn’t in the lineup tonight or Friday. If he is, this is his last change to salvage something from what has been an ugly year.

• CJ says:

I agree with Hobie 100%. Sadly, I think it would be the same as leading a lamb to slaughter. He just doesn’t have it. He looks the part, but he can no longer back it up. It’s a sad end of the road, for one of the premier fighters for the last 8-10 years.

• rhino514 says:

There is something about the whole concussion issue that I don´t understand. It´s quite common to hear players say they´ve had many concussions if you go back to junior. And yet, Parros has said these two concussions are the only ones he´s ever suffered. Maybe he meant just through fighting, but you figure a guy his size , and with his limited use, probably hasn´t suffered many in hockey plays. I get the sudden worry in the short term because he´s just coming off two….But long term I don´t see an issue.
          I don´t want to minimize the danger of repeated concussions; I think hits like the one on Toews the other day should be disciplined, but it seems to me there is an inconsistency in the whole concussion issue.
          You see a guy like Laraque; a lifetime fighter, but it seems no one ever even came close to causing him any real damage. Even a smaller guy like Nilan, he´s all there, no lasting symptoms at all.
          So can´t it just be an unfortunate fact that some guys are more prone to concussions than others? Some guys just get knocked a bit hard and their brain can´t handle it very well. What do you do about those guys?
          Plus it does seem to me that most concussions are caused not by fighting but by actually playing hockey, so I think the emphasis should in fact be on eliminating needless hits.
          Regarding fighting, maybe there are just some guys out there who don´t have great hockey skills, but aren´t very good fighters either; they “become” fighters because it´s their only meal ticket. Those guys simply shouldn´t be fighting. Doesn´t a boxer suffer more dangerous hits during one bout than the average hockey fighter in a whole season?
          You look at a guy like Prust, he led the league in fighting. Yet I´ve never seen him get hit really cleanly. It doesn´t lessen my admiration for the guy, or how brave he is going up against bigger guysis, but he knows how to minimize the probability of clean shots landing on his noggin, so in my mind, he should fight. If you don´t have that ability, you shouldn´t; to me it´s as simple as that.
          There seems to be this underlying assumption that everyone in the game is in danger, but seems to me some guys never really get hurt, even when fighting, and others get hurt during almost routine hockey plays.

• CJ says:

As much as I agree that fireworks are possible. We simply haven’t the resources to engage. I don’t like it and hate to acknowledge it, but we are soft. Our best bet is to focus on hockey and disengage in the after the whitsle theatrics. I hated seeing Moen get hurt, but that is a product of fighting a very tough man in Miller. We want to be healthy going into the playoffs, so unless there is a clear advantage, I would steer clear.

Ottawa would love nothing more than to hurt someone on Friday night. We better be on our toes as Neil, Cowen, Gryba, Kassian know no boundries. Again, we are best served focusing on skill and speed and play to our strengths. not our weakness.

• Mavid says:

we are doooomed

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

15. Mattyleg says:

So playoff ticket packages are on sale for those of us who bought partial season plans (10 game packages).

Kind of strange package, but they are either

a) Round 1, Game 1; Round 2, Game 2; Round 3, Game 2; Round 4 Game 1.

-or-

ii) Round 1, Game 2; Round 2, Game 1; Round 3, Game 1; Round 4, Game 2.

I imagine we’re reimbursed for any games not played…

16. stephen says:

With reference to the discussion below started by Paz about making donations to Tim Bozon’s family, I quickly threw together a donation page on gofundme.com just to see what it would look like.

It was a breeze to set up and took about 5 minutes. The only hiccup is that I am unfortunately an obstinate non-user of facebook, which means the donation page cannot be linked on that network, thus limiting its reach, I suppose.

Anyhow, people are welcome to take a look to see what such a page could look like. If there is a summit organizer who would like to take it on, this might give you an idea at least. Sounds like being a facebook user is a bonus.

Cheers!

• Paz says:

Well done! So we can donate to that page?

• Paz says:

The problem is the money should be sent to an organization right? That’s why it would be great if the HIO Summit team would take it over.

• stephen says:

Hi Paz,

Yes, I really only made the page to see what the logistics of it would be.

I understand I am a rather ‘minor’ player on this site, so it would be better if one of the summit people could take it on, so that people felt a bit more comfortable donating.

Also, it really seems to help if the page can be linked to the organizer’s facebook page, as I imagine having that attached profile gives donors a little more peace of mind.

Happy to help any way I can, however.

• HabFab says:

See the WHL fund info down below. Not sure of a gofundme moniker… sounds like we are begging to get stung IMO.

• stephen says:

Hi HabFab,

Yes, that sort of site does require an awful lot of trust between donors and recipient. That’s why I agree that some involvement of the ‘summit committee’ would be ideal.

I didn’t see your post below about the WHL fund, but that’s great news.

17. CJ says:

Just got my taxes back. I wish it was an April fools joke…..

I could have bought a small car or gone on an extended family vacation lol. Oh well, everyone pays I guess. Please don’t correct me – let me live in this magical world of ignorance a moment longer….

• Kooch7800 says:

Yeah, I hate those years. I will be paying this year as well. My Wife was on Maternity leave and you get a nice bill from the government at the end of the year for that. It is a nice way to start off when you get the daycare bills!

• frontenac1 says:

I hear ya amigo. Last year I sold my business and retired. I have an excellent accountant but, holy smokes! There is still a Kings ransom to pay. I’m not complaining because I feel so lucky to live in the Best Country in the world.I just wish more of my tax dollars could go to those in real need.

• CJ says:

I hear you guys. Boy, it’s staggering to see the numbers. I am very fortunate to have my health. My wife and I both have excellent jobs, so paying was simply a formality. I own a number of rental properties, so we get hit hard there too. Again, it’s just something to see the figures laid out. On top of that, you get billed for the accounting services. Plus HST. Plus, plus, plus….LOL.

18. RiverviewCanadien says:

The Detroit vs Montreal tickets I had for sale, are now sold.

Thanks GrosBill, hope the game is a good one!

====================================
    Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
    ====================================

Nice.
      Shame I coudn’t have taken you up on them.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Thanks Matty.
        It’s a bigger shame we are not able to use them. Have I mentioned how much I loathe winter?

====================================
        Folks, it’s Bushmills time, and that’ll keep ya warm!
        ====================================

• GrosBill says:

Thank you, RC.

Hoping for a good game as well. First Saturday game I have got to go to in a while, it will be nice to not have to work in the morning after the game for a change.

Thanks again!

19. Say Ash says:

Is there a chance we’d see Drouin in the playoffs?

• Hstands4Hockey says:

No he is not eligible.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

20. Sportfan says:

Its a must win game if they want to clinch sooner than later

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Kooch7800 says:

I think they will be pushing hard for home ice. Will make a difference playing against the Bolts. Want to get the right match ups out there against Stamkos

21. ont fan says:

Crisp and Vail sign with Hamilton.

22. Mattyleg says:

HEY EVERYONE,
    LEAFS GUARANTEED FIRST PICK IN DRAFT LOTTERY BY BETTMAN.
    HE INVOKED THE NHL’S NOTWITHSTANDING CLAUSE THAT SAYS THAT THE LEAGUE CAN DISREGARD ANY OF ITS OWN RULES IF IT WANTS TO.

23. jimmy shaker says:

OK, first and foremost. Habs come out with 2pts. preferably in regulation. Than we cheer for calgary over taranna.
    Jersey over buffalo.
    washington over dallas
    c-bus over colorado.

That would make for a good good night!

Shaker out

24. frontenac1 says:

I quit booze.

25. DipsyDoodler says:

Is it just me, or are April Fools news stories lame?

—–
    Moving. Forward.

26. Paz says:

The Bozon family is reported to owe about $100,000 for Tim’s care and related expenses.

I think Habs Inside Out should try and help them out.

There are web sites like gofundme.com, for example, that make fundraising for a cause quite easy these days. They do charge a fee, 5%, to manage the site.

Imagine there could be 1000 donors just from HIO, and we each gave whatever we could afford, 10, 20, 50 dollars. We could give the Bozon family $10,000 or more in very short order.

I’m not known here. I’ve never attended a summit.

But if someone who works with the summit could coordinate this we could start the fundraising right away. Then we could continue it all the way to the next summit in November, and give the check to the Habs or directly to the Bozon’s.

This could catch on! Who knows how much we could raise?

• Mattyleg says:

That’s a fantastic idea, Ed.

I have insane work commitments until the end of this month, but if someone were to set that up, I’d definitely donate!

• habs-fan-84 says:

I can’t see how they could stop Mr. Molson from sending a personal cheque to the parents.

Either way, I think this is a great idea. I’d definitely pitch in $10. I know it’s not much, but I just paid for a wedding lol

• habnonymous1 says:

The CHL/NHL should not leave their players/draftees exposed to these types of expenses. Some kind of group supplemental health care plan or self-insurance scheme amongst the teams/leagues would be both cost-effective and humane.

Relying on the kindness of strangers through charity appeals is a crappy way to treat your “assets”.

• Mattyleg says:

Who says they are relying on that?
        Or anything else, for that matter?

Do you know if they have got in touch with Bozon or his family before you say that they are treating their ‘assets’ badly?

• HabFab says:

The problem is that Tim is from France and the supplemental health care plan that the CHL has in place for non Canadian kids doesn’t cover the families expenses and all of his type of care.

• habnonymous1 says:

That’ s my point guys. The CHL/NHL bring a lot of foreign players in yet leave them exposed to these type of expenses, both medical and family.

These are multi-million dollar operations. I think it’s crappy to leave people like the Bozons reliant on charity appeals when the leagues/teams could make some sort of provision, whether through a formal plan or on an ad-hoc basis, for the welfare of their players/families.

• Mattyleg says:

They haven’t left them reliant on charity appeals.
            Jeez, read some of the posts on this page.

• HabFab says:

WHL ANNOUNCES TRUST FUND FOR TIM BOZON

Calgary, AB – The WHL has established a trust fund to assist Kootenay Ice player Tim Bozon and his family with medical and rehabilitation costs. The public can make donations at any BMO Bank of Montreal branch in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Those outside of Western Canada can send donations to the WHL office c/o Tim Bozon, at 2424 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 3Y9.

• BJ says:

If you organize it I’ll donate.

27. Max says:

If it’s Tampa Bay vs The Habs,someone is going to need to stick to Stamkos like glue.Literally,shadow him incessantly on the ice.If he can be partially neutralized,then that’s half the battle.The other half is that big ass goat Bishop.

28. Hstands4Hockey says:

I trust nothing I see on the internet this morning! #AprilFools

——————————————————————–
    Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
    @Hstands4Hockey

29. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

I hope we don’t have a ☼ hangover.

30. Phil C says:

The first round matchups in the playoffs sometimes are the best. The year Boston won the Cup, Julien later said the first round matchup against the Habs was the toughest. The Pittsburgh-Philly series from a few years ago was the best hockey I had seen in a long time, if you ignored the horrendous goaltending.

Tampa will be a tough matchup for the Habs as they play a similar style game with great puck control. A strong fourcheck will not work against a team like Tampa as well as against a team like Boston, so they may be forced to trap more. The Habs will have to be patient and play a strong team game and be opportunistic to get by them in the first round.

31. Maritime Ronn says:

It looks like there is a good possibility that Alex Ovechkin will make some Good/Bad NHL history this year.

The Good: Easily winning his 4th Rocket Richard Trophy for most goals scored in an NHL season.
    He currently has 48 goals (22 PP) followed by Perry at 39.

The Bad: He could be the 1st Richard Trophy winner ever to possess the worst Plus/Minus in the entire NHL.

Ovie is current dead last at Minus-34, closely followed by fellow Russian Yakupov at Minus-33, and Edler at Minus-32.

The closest that has ever come to transpire was way back in the 2003/04 season when co-winner Rick Nash was Minus-35 on a bad Columbus team.
    That Minus-35 was an NHL 4th worst and luckily for Nash, a fella by the name of Rico Fatta playing for an awful Pittsburgh team came in at Minus-46.

• Luke says:

Question:

Why did you mention that both Yakupov and Ovechkin are Russian, but not that Nash & Fata were Canadian or that Edler is Swedish?
      You also, in a way, excuse Fata and Nash by qualifying the quality of their team. You could have mentioned that Ovechkin plays for at best a Jeckyl and Hyde defensive team, while Yakupov plays for an abysmal franchise with no defensive system, no goalies and an AHL defense corps.

Just something I picked up on. It’s something that happens in a lot of hockey conversations.
      Perhaps seeing it with PK has made me more sensitive to it. (JvR gets excused for the tug b/c he was mocking PK, but for PK to do it, it was classless etc).

I noticed that too.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Anyone that follows hockey knows Edmonton is a lousy hockey team with systemic/coaching/goalie problems.
        Did it have to be spelled out for you?
        Washigton is a middle of the pack defensive team, but that doesn’t forgive Ovie’s laziness in 5X5 hockey.

Getting all bent out of shape because of “fellow Russian”…As for you somehow trying to make that a PK conversation, well good for you.

He’s right, Ron.
          It’s not necessarily a knock against you, but against the common kind of language used when talking about hockey.
          You say ‘fellow Russian’, but not ‘fellow Canadian’ when talking about Nash and Fata. There’s a reason for that; people tend to lump ‘all Russians’ together, while not doing the same for Canadians. Not saying that you are doing this consciously, but that it is something that is done all the time, and you’ve let it slip into your rhetoric.

And he wasn’t turning this into a PK conversation, he’s talking about how some people, due to the things that have been said with regards to PK, have become more attuned to the casual discrimination and/or blurred values that exist throughout hockey talk.

• Maritime Ronn says:

That’s fine. Understood.
            There was no malice intended, especially if one knows all of my family, close buds and aquaintances. Have the planet pretty well covered.

• Mattyleg says:

No, it’s clear that there was no malice, but Luke was pointing out what slips into hockey discussions.

You got awful defensive awful quick about it too!

• Luke says:

I’m not making it a PK issue. I’m making it an “unfairly judging people because of their background” issue.

You made a point of bringing the Russian’s nationality into it.
          You made a point of bringing no other nationalities into it.
          You made a point of qualifying how bad the Pens and the Blue Jackets were.
          You made a point of not discussing the merits of the teams the ‘fellow Russians’ play on.

So, the question remains: Why did you mention they were Russians but not that the others were Canadians & a Swede?

To paraphrase:
          Anyone that follows hockey knows Ovechkin and Yakupov are Russians who play for hockey teams with systemic/coaching/goalie problems.
          Did it have to be spelled out for you?

32. rhino514 says:

Question:

Assuming everyone is healthy for the playoffs, Bourque, Moen, Weise, and Bournival would most likely compete for two spots on the team. (I´m assuming Prust, even if not quite 100%, is a lock, and White just does not bring as much as the other guys do)

The guys on RDS said that Moen brings more to the team than Bourque, which I don´t get. Clearly, management and many in the media still love Moen, though he cannot hit the Atlantic ocean with a beach ball. Is he really that awesome as a penalty killer, because I don´t see that he does anything else; sadly, he cannot even mix it up anymore. Does he really prevent more goals than the goals we lose because he cannot contribute at all offensively?
    The pre-concussion Moen was a pretty valuable player, maybe even close to Prust type value, but the post-concussion Moen…I don´t see it.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Bourque was easily the team’s best player last year in playoffs last year (which is why they were out in 5 games). That has to count for something.

——————————————————————–
      Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
      @Hstands4Hockey

• CJ says:

One could also say that Eller was at his best, albeit for a limited amount of time, heading into last year’s playoffs. Professional sports is all about what have you done lately. If Bourque is banking on that performance, he is in big trouble.

• Maritime Ronn says:

IF…big if, Moen is healthy, it may just be a consideration of defence Trust.

Moen was also the # 2 PK forward on a very good PK.
      Several will say those minutes could be easily handled by Gionta-Eller-Prust-White, even Max and that would be hard to argue against.

And sometimes, it’s the smallest of things that can makes a difference, such as Plex being thrown out of the faceoff circle in the D zone on the PK.
      While Moen has been called upon only a few times to take a faceoff, he has won 7 of 8.

33. DipsyDoodler says:

Sorry for the slight move away from hockey, but those of you who wish we had the American health care system, and who think Obamacare is a disaster, what happened to Tim Bozon happens to Americans every day. Just know what it is you’re wishing for.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

Except they aren’t paying the huge stipend/tax we pay daily in order to have a health care system that allows us the good fortune to wait for help.

Edit: Conceptually, I love the Canadian Healthcare system, unfortunately as is the norm now in Canada, anything run by the Government cannot possibly become more inefficient.

• Blade says:

I think we can all agree that there is no such thing as a perfect healthcare system…..

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Oh dear.. American private system is far more inefficient as it is run by insurance and pharmaceutical companies. The amount of court cases per patient far exceeds the Canadian ratio. When you account for court costs you will see it is more comparable.

I studied an economic course where we determined a publicly funded private system would be the most efficient (in theory) as long as doctors can be trusted to avoid unnecessary practices. Strict government regulation would be requires.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Maritime Ronn says:

If you have good insurance, the US healthcare system is outstanding – if you don’t, you are in trouble.

The best health care system in the world is in France where they combine Public and Private.
          If only a Canadian political party had the guts to have an adult conversation with the people…then again, they would probably get drowned out by those that would not want to hear.

As the old saying goes, don’t argue with a blind person over a work of art and don’t argue with a deaf person over a piece of music.

• frontenac1 says:

There’s the rub Ronn. “Good”insurance. If you got the dough, you get it. Somuch fine print. A friend of mine graduated med school in Ont with a ton of debtand interned up here . Went down to Pennsylvania, made a ton of dough for 5yrs and came back to Ont to be a family doctor. Couldn’t stand turning people away. The horror stories were unbelievable. I will take our system over the US any day.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You are absolutely right Front
            The value and goodness of a society as a whole is always based on how they take care and protect those that are less privileged.

• frontenac1 says:

Amen to that amigo.Saludos!

• kalevine says:

I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. True, you can get some of the best care in teh world, but at what cost? Americans are far from the healthiest people in the world yet they pay SO much more per capita than any other country for their health care. It’s a system based on running tests, tests, and more tests, many of dubious value, just to confirm and/or rule out diagnoses.

Also, the bureaucracy in US health care far exceeds anything I have seen in Canada, having lived my adult life equally in both places. In Canada, with its largely single payer system, I hardly ever met anyone directly involved in health care administration. In US, with its numerous insurers competing with each other, fighting with the doctors, and denying patient claims, I have met many. Vermont is supposed to be moving to a single payer system, and it will be interesting to observe the results.

• Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

As i have seen with my father doctor’s will save your life but might kill you in the process.
      Then’s there’s the parking lot fees.

• portle44 says:

Yeah there is nothing like having the nanny state force you to give up the health insurance that you have to replace it with health insurance that is twice as expensive.Lets have more of that across the board.

Moving forward

34. Habs_4_ever says:

The Parti Québécois claim that as soon as they successfully separate from Canada, the Habs will be forced to change there name to Les Québécois de Montréal.

————————
    “Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”

35. Paz says:

Maybe we could start an Internet page where people could raise money for the Bozon family? Maybe it could be done through the Summit organization?

Ian or CJ, I think it’s quite easy to create a page these days.

36. Lafleurguy says:

They called the unlucky Don Baylor’s injury a femur fracture, which it is, but it’s more commonly referred to as a hip fracture.

37. Laramy87 says:

So another Don Cherry showing his age. Listen to his grapevine on my ride into work this morning and he was talking about why superstars dont want to play in Canada. Now i get reasons like taxes, customs, media etc. but he cited the metric system as another reason. This made me laugh.
    Im 30 and ive grown up with only the metric system. Most superstars in this league are below 30 and Canadian which means they grew up with it. Most Europeans grew up with it. The only superstars that didnt are the few American superstars. I highly doubt a player like Crosby Getzlaf or Toews would not want to play in Canada because he needs to deal with Kilometers or meters. Just cause he is 80 and had to switch 35 years ago and is probably still bitter about it. My God Cherry, please retire.
    He is going to hate having to talk about the Habs this playoffs

38. SmartDog says:

Tim Bozon facing a 100k medical bill plus up-coming rehabilitation as per Sportfan below and the WHL coverage “may fall short”.

Surely the Habs are helping out with that, and actively involved in his rehab. If not…. it’s not the organization I think it is.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Marc10 says:

No word on any of this. Are the Habs prevented from making any kind of payment to Tim…?

As I recall in reading, it isn’t as simple as that. Any benefits paid by Habs for Bozon is a breach of the rules in the NHL/NHLPA agreement.

I believe Commandant wrote some details about this, helping the parents bills I believe they can do (Parents travels, accomodations etc…) but making payments in direct benefit of Bozon is considered a breach of the contract.

• habs-fan-84 says:

A cheque from the Montreal Canadiens is not allowed, but what about a personal cheque from Mr. Molson himself? I can’t see how that would breach the rules…

• Luke says:

Here’s how it breaches: The Habs agree to pay PK subban 5 million a season, but then, Mr Molson agrees to give PK a personal cheque for 3 million each year.

Oh sure, different backstory, but same concept.

39. punkster says:

Release the Subbang!!!

40. punkster says:

MT contract extended.

Release the Subbang!!!

• 24 Cups says:

Nice play by Andrew but if that ever did happen I’m sure poor Andrew would have a heart attack right on the spot.

Of course, the real sign of the Apocalypse would be the re-signing of Douglas Murray. Stranger things have happened over the years.

• Hstands4Hockey says:

Haven’t you seen the interwebs this morning? Doug Murray signed 4 year 8 million dollar extension. CONFIRMED!!

——————————————————————–
        Rule #76: No Excuses, Play Like a Champion!
        @Hstands4Hockey

41. Cal says:

Breaking News:
    Youppi traded to the Blue Jays. Montreal separates from Quebec. PM Harper declares Chinese New Year a national holiday. Wiarton Willie claims handlers broke his hibernation period by 8 weeks.
    Zombie Expos return from the dead. Realizing they have to play in the Big O, they join the cast of Walking Dead instead. Phanoof’s courage found in the Lion’s Den at the Toronto Zoo. Don Cherry’s brain discovered in Ron Maclean’s closet.

Emergency people are still on scene after huge explosion of the refrigeration plant at the Bell center yesterday! It will take about 6 weeks to rebuild they say!
    According to the NHL all Mtl. home games for the next 6 weeks will be played in Toronto.

43. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

While there has been a lot of talk/concern about beating Tampa and having home ice advantage, the questions become:
    1) How crucial is it in a Quarter final
    2) What does last year’s history show?

In the 8 playoff series last year, the 2 very heavily favoured Hawks and Pens won.
    The only other higher seeded team to win its series was Boston – with a Game 7 comeback for the ages.

The 5 other 1st round series were won by teams that started on the road.

As for the Habs, playing in Tampa will be quasi homes games.
    Starting on the road puts all the pressure on the home team, while the visitors look for a split. The visiting team can also play without the typical home fan/media pressure, and play a ‘road game’ without the need to entertain.

• 24 Cups says:

HI/O posters waste too much time talking about the Bruins and the laffs. A playoff series against Tampa has been on Montreal’s horizon for quite awhile now but nary a word is spoken.

Three things scare me about the Lightning — Stamkos, Bishop and Cooper. The only other question is how will all of their good young kids react to their first playoff round?

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cups
        As mentioned below, Bishop has never played 1 single minute of NHL playoff hockey.
        That will be the big question for Tampa.
        Can he handle the pressure and grind.

• 24 Cups says:

Tampa also has six NHL rookies who will be taking a regular shift in the playoffs.

As for Montreal, I think it’s a given that MT will go with a veteran line-up on the backend. Especially once Gorges returns. All this talk of Tinordi and Beaulieu is best left for next year.

Up front, we will finally see what Briere brings to a playoff team. However, I worry more about the indifferent play of our young forwards. Gallagher and Galchenyuk don’t impress me much right now and Eller is basically a head case. The team also doesn’t get much value out of Prust due to his Band-Aid status but he could make a difference in the post season.

No matter how you slice it, the Habs have a solid 50/50 chance of meeting Boston in the second round. Put me down for a glass half full of Stiegl.

I know we won a couple rounds 4 years ago but that feels like 10 year already. I just want us to win our first round this year.

This team has few players left who won a round and it is important we get that experience. Win a round, confidence up and who knows what happens, but indeed we need to first get by a Tampa team who are well coached with perhaps the best goalscorer on the planet on their team.

Very nervous here in Burlington Steve.

• Loop_Garoo says:

As long as we get the 2nd half of the season Bishop, we should be ok. I really think goaltending wins this for the Habs. Price should be confident and ready to go following his Olympic experience.

• Marc10 says:

The thing that scares me… We don’t score and the power play is very average theses days.

TB has Stamkos and rolls four lines. They might run out of steam with all those kids going full bore.

We’ll see. The teams are pretty evenly matched. I like that St Louis won’t be there.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Callahan has been playing great for them
          13 games-5 goals-9 points +4

Marty in New york?
          14 games-0 goals-3 points

• 24 Cups says:

I see an amnesty buyout coming for Brad Richards. It’s the smart thing to do. Kreider also just got hurt so that might start to tilt things toward Philly. Of course your comments about Bishop could also pertain to Mason.

• Marc10 says:

Still glad Marty isn’t suiting up for the Bolts. Callahan is solid agreed.

44. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Some renewed optimisim on the radio in Ottawa this morning. I guess that means we will have to dash their hopes on Friday night. I might just swing over to the CTC for the game. Perhaps I can find another five pallbearers to help with the service, as we burry any remaining chances of a late season rally.

Looking forward to the game tonight. I am interested to see how Bishop performs. His play, post Olympics, is certainly nowhere near where it was prior to the break. I hope we light it up tonight and provide no chance for improved confidence. Tonight is also likely to be a physical contest as Tampa will attempt to intimidate, as we are missing Moen, Prust, Parros and Weise. Nice chance for Tinordi and/or Murray to step up and push back.

Rene Bourque. My old friend Rene. Don’t like playing on the fourth line? Well, tonight is your chance to show that you deserve more ice time and further responsibility. The memory of your playoff performance last spring is becoming more distant and fuzzier by the day. This could be one of the last chances to impress. When Prust returns, Bourque sits. Plain and simple.

The sun is out. It’s not Tampa Bay like, but hoping we have turned a corner. The Master’s is next week and playoffs are around the corner. Baseball is back and spring is in the air.

Enjoy your day everyone! Cheers, CJ

• Habs1962 says:

yes , I’m sure the Ottawa media and fans will be waving the pom poms now and forget about all their troubles and poor season and be twisting a story of how they are going to be so much better next year and they have so many prospects, etc… which is a good thing for us and the other East teams since nothing will change. The old GM will tell them at the closing news conference how things are great !
      funny to watch.

• CJ says:

I agree. It is their vanity that will hinder their progress. They have zero system in place. Turris and Hemsky are carrying that team. I can’t believe that Turris is locked into a long term deal at $3.5 million a season. He is an excellent player. He is a plus 21 on a team that is absolutely terrible defensively. Despite not getting first wave PP time, he is nearing 60 points. IMO, he is one of the best second line centres in the entire league.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi CJ

Bishop is huge!
      6’7″ – 215…that body covers a lot of ground.

What is really suprising to notice in his resume is that he has zero NHL playoff experience – has not played 1 single minute, and only played 1 AHL playoff game in his career.
      Obviously, the key will be to get to him early.

• CJ says:

Bishop is huge. I have seen him off the ice and he is a big man. He has the same amount of playoff experience as Emelin. It will be a very interesting series. Despite his years of experience, Weaver has only 11 playoff games under his belt.

I am sure that these guys, being the professionals that they are, will come to speed very quickly. That said, playoff hockey is a very different animal.

• Old Bald Bird says:

I think there could be a little lag after the Florida trip.

• CJ says:

I am thinking the same thing. Especially considering that they are staying until Thursday. Nice chance to enjoy a break, but we will need to get back on the horse very quickly with Ottawa and Detroit back to back on Friday and Saturday night. Not so much with the Wings, but I would love to beat the Sens on Friday night and end their season once and for all.

• Maritime Ronn says:

You are also right about Bishop post Olympics.
      He is 8-7, yet not 1 of those wins was against a team that presently holds down 1 of the 16 NHL playoff positions.

• CJ says:

I’ve watched him a few times recently and he appears leaky. This is in stark contrast to the guy, prior to the Olympics, who was a Vezina trophy finalist, and who stood on his head night in and night out. IMO, the fact that he has not been the number one to this point and is now playing 60+ games is becoming increasingly evident. He looks worn down.

That said, the boys need to score early and often tonight. He has had our number since he entered the league. He is a big body, so we need traffic in front of the net and get pucks at his feet.

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim! I would have liked to get Folin under contract, but we were fighting an uphill battle from the start. Traditionally these kids want to play immediately, and I am not sure that we have an appetite for youth on defence.

45. BJ says:

Now we all know that hockey players are for the most part tough to very tough. Now here’s tough, very tough + nuts + sick in the head and whatever else someone could add on as adjectives:

46. Da Hema says:

Here’s a question: what the hell was Gillis thinking giving Tortellini a FIVE-year coaching contract. It’s not like the guy was being pursued by 29 other teams. I suspect Vancouver was in fact the only team doing so. Gillis has the Midas Touch in reverse: everything he touches turns to $hit.

47. D Mex says:

Unknown if this was posted previously re : Tim Bozon :

Good that he is on the road to recovery, also that the WHL is saying the right things. Still, imagine what the family must be thinking …

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

48. B says:

Nice to see 2 Habs in the top 25 in goal scoring!

–Go Habs Go!–

49. habzfan2003 says:

I for one, am hoping the Jets and Canucks get in. Hell, I wouldn’t even mind if the Leafs or Sens got in to wreak some havoc on the Bruins in the first round…

I like the way the Habs have been playing…

a few weeks ago I was watching CH and taking note of the fire in MT when addressing his players in the locker room. It gave me the feeling that he really cares about this team, and he wants to produce a winning habit (pun intended).

Looks like it’s paying off. Habs are playing good hockey and Price looks locked in. If they can stay healthy who knows? What the heck:

Patches DD Vanek
    Chucky (Pleky) Gally
    Bournival Eller Gio
    Moen Prust Weise

Markov Emelin
    Subban Gorges
    Tinordi Beaulieu

Minnesota Wild have agreed to terms with college UFA defenseman Christian Folin (UMass-Lowell) who was the most coveted college UFA on the market.

51. AceTen says:

Wow Vanek has 46 shots in 12 games so far… not bad at all.

• Timo says:

All because of my man DD. No DD, no shots, no goals. I am waiting for Vanek to confirm that DD is the best center he’s ever played with.

• Steven says:

What if, by some miracle of fate, he did actually say that? :)

• D Mex says:

Vanek is too polished to deliver that particular message in front of a microphone – it could be interpreted as a slight toward centremen he has played with in the past, and it isn’t his style.

There are, however, other ways to send a similar signal, and that’s the message I would listen for …

ALWAYS Habs -
          D Mex

52. HABitual Fan says:

My wife and I attended the game against the Panthers and will be heading over to Tampa to see the Habs take on the Bolts tomorrow (a well timed vacation). It’s interesting to see the number of Habs fans attending these games; far more fans cheering for them than the home team. It’s almost as cheap to fly down and watch the games as it is to buy tickets in Montreal! I was 3 rows back from ice level and paid $50 each for the tickets. But to be honest…with no more intensity than was diplayed in that game, 50 bucks was plenty to pay! I pity the poor sods dishing out $300+ bucks a seat to watch the product being delivered in some rinks…like Toronto, for example.

53. hitgurl says:

Monster post!

54. Mattyleg says:

Monster.
    Is not.
    A verb.

• Loop_Garoo says:

But then, to be fair, periods don’t go in the middle of sentences either.

• ElMcFoldo says:

Matty, in her post, hitgurl actually used monster as an adjective. Monstrous would have been more appropriate I suppose, but it’s a hockey forum, not a literary masterpiece, so perhaps the bar should be lowered a bit.

• Mattyleg says:

Wasn’t talking about her. Her post came after mine, probably as a response.
        Was talking about Sportsnet goofs.

55. 24AW says:

Habs has the better overall team, that’s no guarantee to beat the lightning …

So Ottawa 1 game in hand on T.O. And 2 points back. Would be amazing if T.O. Vs Ottawa final game of season mattered!

• HabFan in Edmonton says:

I don’t want too many teams to pass the Leafs (don’t want them to get too high a draft pick), 9th in the conference would be perfect!

• Timo says:

Actually, no. It would be great is the TO – Turds last game of the season for for the higher draft pick only. No way I want to see either in the playoffs.

57. Congrats to Team Canada says:

I cant stand Gryba. Career bush leaguer.

Watching the Canes, Sens in OT.

• CJ says:

Big tough guy fighting Gerbe. Than of course MacArthur comes in and pulls him down from behind. Gotta ask though, what’s up with Staal? He stood there the whole time and did nothing. That drives me crazy.

• Congrats to Team Canada says:

Jordan, doesn’t quite have the same heart as Eric. Gerbe was holding his own even without some teammates having his back. I would like to think its the end of the season for both these clubs, and there kinda of detached, but reality is there’s a growing trend in the league, were teammates just don’t give a shit about each other, period.

• Timo says:

Gryba is a head hunter… kind of like Orpik. He’ll get his.

58. PrimeTime says:

Price is a much better goalie this year thanks to Waite. He is less active in the crease and more compact. Sochi was great experience that will help him mentally in the playoffs. He doesn’t need to carry the team but will be very dependable IMO.

59. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Has anyone mentioned that Connor Crisp and Brady Vail have signed try-out contracts with the Bulldogs?

60. Hobie Hansen says:

I think a lot of teams and fans of those teams are hoping for Columbus to lose to Colorado tomorrow night. The Leafs, Caps and Devils to name a few. Sens are going into OT and with a win they’re all of a sudden only 4pts back.

Let’s go Blue Jackets!!!!!

61. PrimeTime says:

Defense will win Habs v TB series. With Gorges back, Habs in 5!

62. CJ says:

I’ve probably watched 250 games this year. Another 13 live. The Ottawa Carolina this evening has to be one of the worst I’ve seen all year. Fortunately, there appears to be less than 13,000 at the game, so a minimum number of fans will have been exposed to this mess.

People asked below about Clarkson buyout, clink on link to see his cap hit. The cap hit fluctuates all over the map according to capgeek