‘It’s been a weird series,’ Habs’ Eller says; Rangers’ Moore suspended two games

After winning their third elimination game of this postseason – beating the New York Rangers 7-4 in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference final Tuesday night at the Bell Centre – the Canadiens held an optional practice Wednesday morning in Brossard before flying to New York for Game 6 Thursday night (8 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Canadiens goalie Carey Price – who has been sidelined since suffering a knee injury in Game 1 against the Rangers – was on the ice for the second straight day in full equipment in Brossard before his teammates, working with goalie coach Stephane Waite for about 30 minutes.

Alexei Emelin, who missed Game 5 with an undisclosed injury, made the trip to New York with his teammates but his status for Game 6 is uncertain. Brandon Prust, who has finished serving a two-game suspension for a late hit on Derek Stepan in Game 3, will return to the lineup for Game 6. There was no word who would sit to make room for Prust.

After practice, forward Lars Eller was asked for his thoughts about the series so far.

“I think it’s been completely unpredictable,” he said. “Game 1 was just a game you want to forget and just a game where everything that could go wrong went wrong. Then we played really good Game 2, lose. Didn’t play very good Game 3, won. Game 4, up in the air, could have went either side. And Game 5 we played the best hockey in this series. Some games have not been very many goals. And some games have been scored 10 goals. It’s been a weird series.”

The NHL announced late Wednesday afternoon that Rangers defenceman John Moore has been suspended for two games for his illegal hit to the head on the Canadiens’ Dale Weise during the third period of Game 5. Moore received a major penalty on the play and was ejected from the game.

Rangers coach Alain Vigneault was asked Wednesday morning by reporters if he had a chance to review Moore’s hit.

“Yes, by league standards, and I know the league standard very well because of the (Aaron Rome hit on the Bruins’ Nathan Horton) a couple years ago in the Boston series against my former team in Vancouver, and it doesn’t meet the league standard as far as a late hit,” said Vigneault, who added he thought Weise got caught admiring his pass. “It was a hit that Johnny caught him a little high in the chest, player didn’t see it coming. It probably warrants the penalty that was given on the ice. Other than that, I don’t see what else it could warrant, but I’ve been surprised before. We’ll see what happens.”

Canadiens coach Michel Therrien was asked after Wednesday’s practice about Vigneault’s comment that Weise was admiring his pass.

“What Alain is saying it’s normal,” Therrien said. ” He’s there to protect his players with his comments, and any coach is going to say those types of things. But we all saw the hit. It’s in the league’s hands and I’m sure they’re going to take the good decision, so that’s the way we see it.”

When asked how Weise was on Wednesday, Therrien said: “I didn’t see him this morning.”

Rangers forward Brad Richards was asked Wednesday if his team had lost its composure for the first time in the playoffs during the Game 5 loss to the Canadiens.

“There are a lot more problems losing our composure in our stretch of the game, getting into whatever you call that game,” he said. “I don’t see many of those games in playoffs.  But you get into that where we were just cheating and hoping, and some of it was a product of being down 4-1.  But even as we were getting momentum there, we were still doing it and playing with fire that way. Just the whole structure of the concept, we just broke away from it for whatever reason and never got back into it.”

Rangers defenceman Marc Staal was asked if he’s concerned that the Canadiens have a lot of life in them after the Game 5 win.

“Yeah, you win a game and things change in your locker room and you start feeling better about yourselves,” he said. “Yeah, obviously, we know how it feels coming back in a series like that, but it doesn’t change anything in our room. We were as confident as ever going into our building and looking forward to it.”

Canadiens defenceman Josh Gorges was asked Wednesday if there’s anything he wants to change going into Game 6.

“I don’t think we want to change too much, just be a little sharper,” he said.

(Photo by Allen McInnis/The Gazette)

(Game 5 locker-room videos by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Rangers’ Moore suspended two games, NHL.com

Tokarski shows again why he’s a winner, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Canadiens not dead yet, by Pat Hickey

Habs ride wild, sloppy mess back to New York, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

‘Bourque played a great game,’ Therrien says, by Pat Hickey

Aislin’s take on Habs win, montrealgazette.com

Game 5 photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

Pressure mounts for Rangers after Game 5 loss, NHL.com

Red wedding, canadiens.com

Bell Centre open again for fans to watch Game 6, canadiens.com

Rangers chased back to the Garden, New York Times

Moore doesn’t deserve suspension, Vigneault says, New York Post

Hank tanks, then yanked, New York Daily News

Corey Hart postpones Bell Centre show for Habs, montrealgazette.com

1. WVHabsfan says:

Is Weise concussed?

2. WVHabsfan says:

Bman. I believe you are correct. It is a great day to be a Habs fan wherever you may be!!

3. youngwun says:

Weise is out….

4. Say Ash says:

Hoping for zero goals by Gorges tonight!

5. bman123 says:

With our win on Tuesday this is the deepest we’ve gone in some time (of course who does not remember that 5 game loss against the Flyers after beating Pittsburgh and Washington) but is it also the deepest we’ve gone since 93? Someone care to jog my memory?

6. Frank2468 says:

What about dorsett for head butting? That goes unpunished so now we can see the Ranger players dawning pointed helmets saying it for more protection assuming there is anything to protect between the ears anyway??

7. CHicoHab says:

I think the Habs have won and lost different games with different personnel all year long wouldn’t get too hung up in who’s in and who’s out. As long as these guys care to win they can get it done. Also seems not much hype for a Moore suspension like there was for Prust. Guys are talking 2 games if any at all. I say 4 games Targeted Weises head. Moore lifted his feet.

8. Cal says:

New HIO Show up with Knuckles and Todd.

9. SPATS says:

Anybody know if Moore and Lucic have any history as teammates or friends? Wouldn’t put it past Loo-sick (as Grapes calls him) to put a bounty on Weise. Loo-sick was probably giddy knowing Emelin was out and Weise was TKO’d.

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Our Habs have enough ‘toughness and grit’ without Brandon Prust …what is more essential against a team like the Strangers is the speed and fore/back checking of Bournival

• johnnylarue says:

I think both are important, Surrey.

But Prust almost single-handedly changed the complexion of this series, and was playing some very solid hockey for us before sitting out the last two. I think he could play a key role in getting the Rags off their game tomorrow, which is the key to beating them.

• habstrinifan says:

I am on the fence re Prust. I like Bournival but I understand the ‘factor’ Prust brings.. if he brings it without having to ‘exit’ the game too early. If Prust avoids fighting I’m ok. His fights tend to be too early and to ill-timed and usually provide no momentum for the HABS.

If Prust plays (as Therrien said he would) I do not see any other option but sitting Bournival. You cannot sit Briere or Vanek. Depending on whether Weise is able to go the question could be moot.

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Brad Marsh’s blog on Our Habs brought a tear to My eye

…gettin’ soff in My old age :)

12. habcertain says:

Has the Pleks embellishment call been thoroughly debated? A little embarrassing to say the least, he shouldn’t expect too many calls against him. The refs will make him pay next year for sure.

13. UKRAINIANhab says:

Thats should definitely be minimum 2 games…

Also way to snow the kid Dorsett… You idiot.

• habcertain says:

is there any video of that?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Im sure you can find it somewhere. Ugh lemme see ugh here it is http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNRkfWHqbc

• D Mex says:

That little fella looks about 4 years old – what a great memory of his on-ice ‘ moment ‘ with the Habs and Rangers before game 5, huh ?

If that is my son, I am at the Centre Sheraton looking for a little face time with Sather last night, downtown at the Bell Centre this morning, on the phone with the NHL head office today, or all of the above.

Just when I thought Thornton’s water fun was as dumb as it gets, this comes along. No way does this one disappear quietly – no way.

ALWAYS Habs –
          D Mex

14. Mattyleg says:

Hi everyone.
    Nutty game last night.
    Wasn’t terribly good for my transplanted baboon heart, but we survived.

You may also like to know that my first batch of homebrew, General Montgomery Pale Ale, is delicious.
    10 days to go until Le Démon Blond Blonde Ale is ready.

Just in time for watching the Habs win the Cup.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Captain aHab says:

The keys to tomorrow will be

1) Get under the Rags’ skin
    2) Score first
    3) Stand in front of King Heimlich

Get Prust in for Bournival and leave Emelin off the ice.

Guys to target in terms of annoying: Pouliot, Dorsett, Stepan, St. Louis, Kreider and McDonaugh. The first two especially are prone to losing their s*** and taking bad calls.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

16. FormalWare says:

Bourque-Weise-Eller:

The BWeise-t-E Boys?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

17. Danno says:

He had his elbow up. Moore should get a minimum two games. On top of his head shot to Weise he also rammed him into the stanchion in another attempt to injure him earlier in the game.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Kooch7800 says:

Time of the game and score should also come into play.

It was a cheapshot

• sheds88 says:

ramming a guy into the station is a hockey play Danno…….

• Luke says:

The hit into the boards/stanchion wasn’t too bad. Nothing suspendable there. In fact, while late, it wasn’t as late as Weise’s hit on Moore later on in the game.

The funny thing is: the first Moore hit that you speak of was late enough that a 2 minute penalty for Interference could have been called. Weise could have been called for the same on his later (unpunished) hit. But the refs “put away the whistles” & “let them play” and this is where you end up.

With a suspendable offense and potential injury or concussion.

18. Mr. Biter says:

F#$K, high in the chest. Straight Head Shot with the elbow. At least Jabba just always says “He didn’t see the hit/spear, charge etc” when asked about Bruin illegal activities.

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

• Habcouver says:

“a little high in the chest” that snaps Weise’s helmet off huh.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• 44har48 says:

I thought I watched the game last night but I must have just dozed off and been dreaming. The hit I saw in my sleep on Weise was later and higher than Prust’s hit. And that is not really open for interpretation on the hit I saw, it was high and very late. The puck was over by the boards at the blue line before he was hit.

He didn’t just brush the side of Weise’s head and then Weise break his jaw later in the game, but it was a high and late hit, period, if its the hit I dreamed about. I need to see the hit AV referred too to be able to comment on that one.

I think the hit was more vicious, but I don’t think it was later, in fact I might argue Prusts was later. Perhaps the blindside factor along with the how high he caught him is what makes it worse.

I initially thought they were similar, but have changed my mind to Moore’s being perhaps more reckless and vicious in nature.

However, I can’t be a complete hypocrite, in general that hit is similar bad to Prusts in that both shouldn’t have happened.

I am hopeful he gets a 2 gamer, I worry he gets 1 game.

• Luke says:

The CBC dudes said Prusts was .92 seconds after the puck left, Moore’s was .5 seconds.

Moore had the chance to clean out Weise with direct shoulder to shoulder contact. He AVOIDS contact with the shoulder to hit the head.

Sad, really.

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, a deliberate blindside head-shot should warrant 2 games (well, 20, really), but the fact that Moore was penalized and ejected from the game could factor into his sentence.

• johnnylarue says:

I think it was measured to be approximately 0.4 seconds “earlier” than the Prust hit, so not quite as late…

Of course, in any league that actually cared for the safety of its players, tenths of a seconds would have absolutely no bearing whatsoever in determining whether or not a hit merits a suspension.

As it stands, the NHL’s “Wheel of Justice”/blindfolded dart-throwing could arbitrarily decide that the hit was legal because, for instance, Weise’s skate laces were tied incorrectly.

• 44har48 says:

Thank you for the clarification. I stand corrected and should not have opened my yapper without knowing the facts.

I think he will get a game. Probably would have gotten 2 if Weise was injured. I can also see them saying time served because it was called on the ice.

19. Having no ruling on the Dorsett head butt is fine, having that nut case on the hoice is a plus for us, he’ll do something stupid and we’ll get pp out of it. Let’s get the lead and then Prust will sort him out again.

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Don’t Poke The Bear

• Luke says:

I really think they should have fined him for snowing the kid.
      Intentional or not (and I assume it was not), there’s no place for that. Leave the entertainment, anthem singers and ice crew out of your juvenile antics.

The Headbutt? Meh. I’m not surprised. A game? Sure? Nothing? meh. Not surprised. Not really a big deal.

Having said that… even just a $1 fine. (yes, one dollar) so it is ‘officially’ on his record and there for future reference.

• shiram says:

Some were saying he was trying to spray the Habs as they were getting to their bench while the kid got into the way of his spray.

Either way, both are quite childish.

• johnnylarue says:

I’m actually glad Dorsett will be playing Thursday. He’s one of the Rangers’ few loose cannons and can be made to lose his focus and nudge his team a little closer to oblivion if the right buttons are pushed.

An early goal or two and a bit of masterful sh!t disturbing from Prust and we’ll be well on our way to Game 7–provided we stay focused ourselves, that is.

• Cal says:

He’s like their spare Carcillo.

• hughiethehabfan says:

Spare Carcillo…. Lmfao
        Agree with other posters . Good potential for him losing his sh#t out there tonight and taking a dumb penalty . I am sure the officials will be keeping an eye on him for his antics in the last game ( that unbelievably went unpunished ????)

NHL has announced the Stanley Cup Final schedule.

2014 STANLEY CUP FINAL SCHEDULE
    Game Date
    Game 1 Wednesday, June 4
    Game 2 Saturday, June 7
    Game 3 Monday, June 9
    Game 4 Wednesday, June 11
    *Game 5 Friday, June 13
    *Game 6 Monday, June 16
    *Game 7 Wednesday, June 18
    * if necessary

21. rhino514 says:

We are better than the rangers when fully healthy.
    But the Kid is letting about one goal a game that Pricey wouldn´t.
    That´s just too much of a disadvantage. We had the momentum of home ice last night, but tomorrow we will have the cards stacked against us. It will be really tough. We have to assume Lundqvist will be on and will stop everything he can see.
    We have to hope that some fatigue has set in for the Rangers.
    If we don´t win it will be heartbreaking because this team totally deserves to be in the Finals, and I even think they could give the Western finalist a run for their money.
    Next year, Markov is a year older, Gio is gone or a non-factor, and fetching a good RW to replace Vanek is far from guaranteed. Beaulieu and Tinordi should progress but they will not be solid just yet. So this year is a real nice window.

22. SPATS says:

I’m thinking next year they should mark down a few prime road games for play on the big screen at the BC for $10/pop and give the money to the kids charities.

Go get em Ian!

23. Habs4LifeInTO says:

How nice to see:
    Rene Bourque tied for second place in playoff goals with 8, Mike Weaver tied for second in playoff plus minus at plus 8, PK Subban tied for 1st in Playoff PP goals with 4 and T. Vanek tied for second with 3. CP 31 still in the mix with 8 Playoff wins in spite of missing time.

Enjoy the ride! Go Habs Go!

24 cups and counting….

24. Habfan10912 says:

Afternoon Gents and 7+ ladies. I read in a previous thread the talk on MSG’s crappy ice. The garden spares no expense on their ice. The problem appears to be in their water. I’m not an enviirmental scientist or engineer but here is what was told to me.

The City received their water from a series if reservoirs in upstate NY and piped down to the City. The water does not undego any significant treatment as the water is some of the cleanest in the world.

The problem is this water has a very high mineral content and it somehow does not play well with the ice making business. I’m not sure what minerals are at the core of the issue or what remedy if any us available, but that is essentially the issue as it was told to me.

I mentioned drilling a private well for ice making only and I was laughed at.

• SPATS says:

Hey Jim, that explains why I had no voice the other night. I was screaming at my TV for the first time in I don’t remember how long and blaming it on rotten puck luck. I sure hope we aren’t snakebit again tomorrow, but the damn disc wouldn’t be corralled on sunday…

• Cal says:

What, they don’t have any filters?

• BriPro says:

I KNOW!!!
      Our boys should use magnetic tape on their sticks.
      The minerals will transfer from the ice to the puck to the players’ stick.
      It’s a sure route to victory!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
      That is some of the most Free-range, Organically-grown, Disingenuous,
      Idealogically-marinated, Un-Self-awareness I’ve ever seen in the wild.

– John Stewart on Marchand, the RAT

• Mr_MacDougall says:

High mineral content can be rectified with a filtration system that any of us can afford.. I have one in my basement.

The “worst ice in the NHL” is voted on by players and refs. There are reports that in some games this season there was straw poking through the ice from a livestock event… It is just used for far too many events, the temperature in the arena is higher than most places.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Coach K says:

I’m not surprised that the mineral content could be a factor in the quality of the ice made. Some minerals after all, are actually salts and we Canadians all know what salt does to ice and vehicles, bridges…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

25. shiram says:

Pierre LeBrunVerified account ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

League looked at Bourque cross-check and Dorsett head butt but nothing will come of it. No hearings for either player

26. Luke says:

I haven’t finished reading it… but this just seems so odd, so far, that I had to post it:

Any chance the Rangers will have 50 Cent do the ceremonial puck drop before the game? What could go wrong?

28. JUST ME says:

It is a weird series but the stakes rise at each level, each game and for most of the habs players it is never seen before territory.
    I know that we prefer butts rather than ifs but what if Chucky had scored in game 4 ? It does change everything when you think of it.

As much as it is a team thing you could hear in the individual comments yesterday before the game how everyone felt that they had a role to play in the scenario and that they wanted to take charge. It showed yesterday and brought results.
    They know where they are and what they are worth and able to do. Confidence and hard work do wonders.

• krob1000 says:

There have been plenty of what ifs though…what if HAgelin hadn’t hit the butt end of the stick last night early on. There have ben plenty of posts and crossbars to go around…..the big what if is what if the HAbs did not throw away Game 1…..that is what really bothers me.

Hypothetically speaking. Price is good to go for game 6. Who’s your back-up? Budaj or Tokarski?

30. JF says:

This team never ceases to surprise me. Just when I think the well has run dry, they bounce back. Just when I think Therrien is out of ideas, he comes up with something else. Talk about resilience. Are the Rangers starting to run out of energy? For the first time in this series, they looked slower than us. If we can summon the same level of aggression and intensity tomorrow and eliminate some of the errors, we could be playing hockey Saturday night.

Was Vigneault really talking about the Finals before last night’s game? If so, that’s not very bright. It’s taking the Habs lightly, assuming they’ll just roll over. It also suggests he thinks his team has as good as punched their ticket and in his head is already moving on to the next series.

They have had 3 long series now, energy players like Carcillo out of lineup and physical defender in Moore (assuming suspended) out of lineup doesn’t help them. Have to expect Diaz checks in, should create more space for our forwards in their zone and around the net.

31. CJ says:

Good afternoon friends.

Game six. Tomorrow night. So far as I am concerned, this is the series. If Montreal can win, there is no way they lose on home ice in game seven. Tomorrow night is the series. Tomorrow night will also be the most difficult game we have played this season. Can the return of Prust help spark the boys? Will we get a bounce, a break or create a chance that nets us an early lead? Will Ron and Don – oh, nevermind……

This has become a very closely contested series. Either team could be ahead 3-2 right now. The Stanley Cup finals beckon, and the winner will have taken one more step towards immortality. I have every confidence that we can be the team. I am not knocking the Rangers, but we have seen their very best. IMO, we have still not seen the very best from Montreal. We go in fits and starts and stops, but, at no point this series, have we played a complete game. The time for this to happen is tomorrow night.

In a deciding game there can no longer be favorites. The coach needs to play the guys who are going. To this end, it was nice seeing Vanek get less then 10:00 minutes last night. I would be riding Eller, Bourque and those guys who have jump. I have a feeling Prust will be fired up and flying, carrying the boys with him. Our defence looks shaky as can be, but again, we are scoring goals, which help to mask a number of deficiencies. As I mentioned last week, I honestly believe that the old saying, defence wins championships, is just that – old. You need to score goals and sometimes the best defence is a great offence.

No, I don’t believe that Hank will be leaky like he was last night (let’s be honest, he let in goals that he generally saves in his sleep), but getting one or more early will have him second guessing himself.

In closing, I am already pumped and ready to roll. I have had the pleasure of receiving an invitation to view the game at a fellow member of our distinguished group’s home. I am looking forward to a great night and a big win. Tomorrow night we take one more step towards our goal of returning Lord Stanley’s Cup to the fans of the greatest hockey team in the world.

Have a great day everyone! Cheers, CJ

• HardHabits says:

If they win tomorrow they still have to win game 7. There is no such a thing as now way.

• JUST ME says:

We go all in tomorrow as we did yesterday and that`s why Prust is so important in leading the way. Leadership , it all comes down to this and once again as you say and as i think we have been saying so often so far this season tomorrow is the biggest game of the season.
      If it is about leadership then, i can name most of the players on that roster willing to take that role wich is a solid ground to stand on.
      That is the reason why the team has had successes. One game at a time,one period at a time. Remain focussed and personnaly concerned .

• SPATS says:

Gonna be a beauty CJ, bring your appetite!
      Spats

32. frontenac1 says:

“Hank Tanks,then Yanked”…..New York Daily News. Nice!

So Rene Bourque’s parents front lawn was strewn with Hats after last nights Hattie! That is cool.

34. youngwun says:

Moore will get 2 games. Dorsett a fine. Maybe even bourque will get a fine as well.

35. PK says:

Oh, by the way, I think that the Rags will be feeling a tiny wee bit of pressure tomorrow … They know that if they do not win at MSG,
    Saturday at the Bell Centre could be a Rags’ nightmare …. Lundqvist could be a court jester …. again.

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

36. WindsorHab-10 says:

Amazing the good things that happen when you shoot the puck & have traffic in front. Please practice & maintain that for tomorrow. I think Briere should stay with Bournival stepping aside for Prust.

How effective & eager will Prust be after the 2 games?

37. Hobie says:

So let me guess…

If Price comes back tomorrow night and Habs lose 3-2, Carey Price sucks and Michel Therrien is an idiot? Half the site want’s Price traded and Therrien canned?

38. PK says:

Thursday evening will be intense but I hope the Habs can bring it back to Montreal for Game 7.
    That Weise-Eller-Bourque line was great last night.
    Hope Weise is good to go and not significantly injured.

Does Bourny come out and Prust go back in?

I would leave Briere in because you never know when he will score or set up a game winner … Doesn’t matter how little ice time he is getting, no?

>>>>> Les Canadiens sont là

39. Rad says:

Eller with Weise and Bourque on the wings is an excellent combination of speed, skill, and size. All three are 6’2″, between 210 and 220 lbs, and all three can skate. Therrien needs to keep those boys together.

40. Fansincebirth says:

3 out of 5 games of this series we gave them a pass on the physical side of things. 2 of the 5 we hit them and they lost those games.

Coincidence? I think not…..

41. Good Habits says:

Ya think ya might wanna find out the Mr. T? Maybe a text or email or something?

42. WindsorHab-10 says:

Already getting anxious/nervous about game 6. Does anyone think Carey Price will play tomorrow night?

• knob says:

I doubt it. Not to take away from Ticker, as he has given the team life and a chance to win, but Price is just a much better goalie.

• Ton says:

It will be a game time decision………..I think he’s thinking about playing and so is the brass! Weiss come back to play not long after getting hit therefore if Pricer wants to play………….hum!

43. montreal ace says:

Dorsett headbutts Weaver right in front of the Ref, with no ejection from the game, it’s a scene right out of slapshot

44. Max says:

There are a lot more problems losing our composure in our stretch of the game, getting into whatever you call that game,” he said. “I don’t see many of those games in playoffs. But you get into that where we were just cheating and hoping, and some of it was a product of being down 4-1. But even as we were getting momentum there, we were still doing it and playing with fire that way. Just the whole structure of the concept, we just broke away from it for whatever reason and never got back into it.”

lol….what the hell does all that drivel mean? Richards still plays in the NHL? I thought he retired years ago.

45. SynysterDiablo says:

No offense, but we don’t need Emelin. Look at how many breakaways we’ve given up with him in the lineup and we gave up none without him last night. I think he’s a slow, immature player who looks for the hit to often. We need fast, mobile d-men who can keep up with the fast Rangers forwards.

• Timo says:

I agree. I would also add Gorges to that list but there is no way therrien takes him out and puts Tiny in.

• Good Habits says:

What? Gorges had a goal last night!

Granted it was on Toker but at least he proved he’s got a feel around the net.

• chilli says:

Yeah, take out our best shot blocker, 3rd most minutes on D, steady as a rock defensemen. Thank god you have no influence on decisions as you know so little about this game.

And the goal against is a hockey play. It’s happened to the best of them.

Tre

• Habilis says:

The thing about our D corps is that we only have 2 actual RD’s (P.K. and Weaver) so someone is always playing their off side. It’s usually Emelin. He’s basically at a disadvantage to start, so when he gets hurt or just isn’t 100%, it gets amplified.

Emelin was awful in game 4, yes. But he took the shot that hurt him early in the game. He was playing hurt. He was so hurt that when he skated yesterday morning, he couldn’t handle the pain so they had to scratch him.

I guess you could blame him for staying in the game since his play seemed to cost more than it was worth. But to insinuate that he’s just a bad player is silly, IMHO. He’s still a better option than Bouillon on any night, if he’s healthy of course.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Emelin is a top four Dman on the majority of NHL teams. He was playing hurt since the Boston series. Without him in our lineup for an extended period of time, the Habs are not the same team (as in last season). Yes, he is a big hitter and misses a few (as does PK), but he is also a great shot blocker and moves the puck effectively out of the D zone. I can only imagine how good he could be if allowed to play on his natural side. Beaulieu and Tinordi are still some time away from being considered top four.

Of course we could use Emelin.

46. B says:

Per game Playoff Stats:
    Markov……..26:05 toi 0.62 ppg 1.6 hits 2.5 blk shots
    McDonagh..25:11 toi 0.63 ppg 1.7 hits 2.0 blk shots

Both are a -3

–Go Habs Go!–

• Max says:

McDonut was far from stellar over the past few games.The guy needs to be pasted into the boards at every opportunity.He is a give away machine when pressured.He likes to skate around unhindered while slashing at the opposition. Pressure him and he chokes.

47. Mattyleg says:

Who is this Tom you’re talking to?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

48. Mattyleg says:

Seriously.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

49. SPATS says:

In the post directly below this one, tomorrow is written as it should appear and not in Crypto-Kordicspeak ;)

50. habstrinifan says:

One of you is drunk! Seriously!

51. johnnylarue says:

He was also an aspiring pro hockey player who opted to become a pursed-lip pop star instead, curiously enough.