Habs development camp kicks off in Brossard (Video)

Canadiens’ first-round draft pick Michael McCarron took part in the off-ice testing Wednesday morning in Brossard at the start of the Habs’ annual development camp.

Fifty-six players, including 28 drafted by the Canadiens, are at the camp, which ends on Sunday.

“The feeling is awesome,” said McCarron, a 6-foot-5 1/2, 235-pound winger who spent the past two seasons with USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program.

“I know this crest is just so known throughout hockey. When you think of hockey you think of the Canadiens, the most winningest team. It’s nuts. I can’t believe I’m part of it. And I’ll certainly wear it proud.”

As a big guy, McCarron said he thinks he still needs to work on his quickness and consistency. “Being ready to play every night. Some nights I’m good and some nights I’m average. When you’re up here you need to be good every night.”

McCarron hasn’t decided where he’ll play next season. He has signed a letter of intent with the Western Michigan Broncos. The London Knights in the Ontario Hockey League hold his Canadian Hockey League rights.

“I still have to talk to the staff here to see what they think is best for me. I still haven’t made my decision,” McCarron told reporters.

He should make his decision next week and it’s going to be a tough one for him, he said.

McCarron hasn’t gone unnoticed. While at the airport in Toronto for his connecting flight to Montreal “a dozen guys came up to me and ‘hey, are you Mike McCarron?'”

“They wanted a picture…that was the first time I’ve ever been recognized outside the rink so it was pretty special.”

The group of players at the camp includes defenceman Jarred Tinordi, who finished the season with the Habs, Louis Leblanc, the Habs’ first-round pick in 2009, as well as right winger Christian Thomas who was acquired from the New York Rangers on Tuesday in exchange for former Habs’ prospect Danny Kristo.

Leblanc, who suffered a high ankle sprain, had a disappointing season with the Hamilton Bulldogs, the Canadiens’ farm team.

Asked what they want to see more of from Leblanc, Martin Lapointe, the Canadiens’ director of player development, said being injured set back the 22-year-old forward a bit.

“This year’s a new year. I’ve been talking to Louis a lot…I think for him it’s just having a fresh start. He did his tests today. He tested really well. He’s a kid that works hard.”

“I’m not worried about Louis bouncing back,” Lapointe said. “He’s a good kid that works hard.”

The first on-ice session was slated for Wednesday afternoon at 4:30 p.m. and is open to the public as are all other practices at the camp, which runs through Sunday in Brossard. There will be a scrimmage at 9:30 a.m. Sunday to wrap up the camp.

The NHL announced its 2012-13 all-star teams Wednesday and, not surprisingly, Norris Trophy winner P.K. Subban of the Canadiens was named to the first team on defence along with Minnesota’s Ryan Suter. The first-team forwards were Pittsburgh’s Sidney Crosby (centre), Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz (left wing) and Washington’s Alex Ovechkin (right wing). Ovechkin also made the second all-star team as a left-winger.

(Photo by Bill Kostroun/The Associated Press)

McCarron loaded with potential, ex-coach says, by Brenda Branswell

56 players take part in Habs’ development camp, canadiens.com

NHL announces 2012-13 all-star teams, NHL.com

Buyouts add depth to free-agent pool, NHL.com

Will Lecavalier signing pay off for Flyers? philly.com

Blake Geoffrion back on skates, Franklin Home Page

1. Fransaskois says:

Notable Habs forward prospects that would not be considered undersized (Under 5’11 or 185lbs) according to Hockey’s Future data:

Michael McCarron / 6’5 – 229lbs
    Conner Crisp / 6’3 – 225lbs
    Jacob De La Rose / 6’2 – 183lbs (conflicting reports re: weight)
    Alex Galchenyuk / 6’1 – 198lbs
    Tim Bozon / 6’1 – 186lbs
    Michael Bournival / 6’0 – 195lbs
    Joonas Nattinen* / 6’2 – 199lbs
    Brady Vail / 6’1 – 190lbs
    Jeremy Gregoire / 6’0 – 188lbs
    Louis Leblanc / 6’0 – 184lbs (exception, reportedly has gained weight)
    Total: 10

“Undersized” Prospects (Under 5’11 or 185lbs):

Brendan Gallagher / 5’8 – 175lbs
    Charles Hudon* / 5’11 – 178lbs
    Sebastian Collberg / 5’11 – 181lbs
    Gabriel Dumont / 5’10 – 184lbs
    Christian Thomas / 5’9 – 162lbs
    Patrick Holland* / 6’0 – 175lbs
    Erik Nystrom / 5’11 – 180lbs
    Sven Andrighetto / 5’9 – 188lbs
    Martin Reway* / 5’8 – 158lbs
    Arturri Lehkonen / 5’11 159lbs
    Total:10

*Represents players who many scouts consider play with little to no physicality or who may be considered soft or unwilling to “go to the dirty areas”

2. The Teacher says:

All I have to say is. UGH

3. Haborama says:

MB states that signing UFA’s is not the way to build a championship team. By signing role players and depth players for the short term, you are not “attempting to build a championship team”, you are merely filling holes until top prospects mature.

There is a big difference between signing Lecavailer for five years and signing Schultz or Rupp to one or two years.

I hope MB realizes that, or else we will be in for a long year and a lottery pick.

4. Briere wouldn’t be my first choice, but we’re pretty thin on NHL-ready top-six forwards in the AHL, and if he wants a one-year contract I say why not sign him — it’s not like there are a lot of other good offensive forwards in free agency right now.

If we do though, expect a trade: with Pacioretty, Gionta, Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Bourque and Briere, that’s nine top-nine guys, but none of the toughness that MB is intent on adding — he knows you can’t have just two big bangers in your top-9, and even Pacioretty and Bourque aren’t exactly wrecking balls. If Briere signs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone like Gionta or Plekanec traded to free up both some cap space and a roster spot for a gritter forward.

• Ed says:

so the acquisition of a 1 year, small forward, who scores at a 15 goal pace the past 2 seasons, triggers the trade of Plekanec or Gionta to get us more power up front??

how about instead of Briere, we sign or trade for some power up front? Skip the Briere signing altogether, because we don’t need him.

• Habfan17 says:

Agreed, I would rather MB take a chance and sign Stalberg. At least he is younger, bigger, faster, and does not have the concussion issues.

Habfan17

• I’m all for landing more power up front — I just don’t know it’s out there in the free agent market (without committing us to something like $30M over 5-6 years). Who other than Briere is interested in a one-year contract?

Re: trades, I’m all for that too — but the asset going the other way should be something we have a lot of: small skilled forwards. Dealing, say, Gionta and change, for a banging forward still leaves us with a hole in the top nine — and a UFA forward on a one-year contract can fill that hole with minimal disruption to next year’s cap and roster.

Again, I’m not singing Briere’s praises here — I just think he may be a decent option for one season.

• habstrinifan says:

Oh wow now not only do we get Briere, but we trade one of the above. So we replace Ryder’s scoring with Briere’s scoring and then go out looking to replace one of Pac’s, Gionta’s Plek’s, DD’S Bourque’s scoring. The other’s are young and dont deserve my cynicism.

• Well, it’s just me, but I’d try to replace one of our smaller skilled forwards anyway, whether we sign a band-aid UFA for one year or not — not Pacioretty or Bourque, but rather Gionta, Pleks or DD. I’m not one of the size-is-everything nuts around here, but adding the only skilled UFA likely to want a one-year contract (Briere) leaves our top-nine woefully small. Signing Briere also takes the language-driven heat off of MB if he manages to deal Desharnais for a bigger forward — ideally a winger, as we’ve got a real glut of centers.

Sure I’d love Clarkson or Horton as much as anyone, but they’ll want something like $30M over six years. As it is, Subban will be in line for a $4-5M raise next year, and Eller and Emelin are likely to earn sizeable raises too. Sure we may get Markov’s salary off the books, but we’ve still got just one top-two defenceman. I just don’t know if we can afford a big long-term UFA contract right now — so why not sign Briere for one season, while also trading for a power forward with a more reasonable contract?

5. Habitant in Surrey says:

@DunboyneMike

…that first season of Eric Cole in a Habs’ sweater was the most exciting and refreshing sight I’ve seen in several seasons

…somewhere He lost His enthusiasm …but I miss Him

• Ed says:

Cole was a great fit because we NEEDED his drive to the net, his speed, his power, and that’s what helped Max and DD succeed as well.

When you have wingers who bring power to the ice, to the other teams’ net, their linemates get all kinds of open time and space.

Cole was the best free agent we have ever signed here.

Then the lockout. And he lost all interest in NHL, owners, etc.

• habstrinifan says:

Come on get with the times. We are in the process of replacing Ryder’s scoring!

• HabinNorth says:

Cole was great to watch but he did help us to our worst finish in a long time and he had little to do with the resurgence in the current year until he was traded.

6. habs-fan-84 says:

FYI new thread is up….

7. bwoar says:

Don’t bloody sign Briere. Why would we sign another centre?

“thoroughbred”

8. Ed says:

not sure a 36 year old, 5’10, 180 lbs player whose career is experiencing a huge down turn, 16 goals in 70 games and then 6 goals last season in 34 games, is a good fit for us even for 1 year.

where are the goals to replace Ryder?

he has to be moved out of position to the wing because we have Plekanec and Eller and Desharnais and Galcheyuk ahead of him.

Even for 1 season, why waste our time and money on a plug like this, who, given the Habs lack of physical support around him, is extremely unlikely to succeed, and extremely likely to get hurt….again.

Sorry folks,. I would not have even called Briere in the 1st place, forget about final 3 teams.

If Bergevin signs this guy, where is the plan? Where is the vision?

9. krob1000 says:

IF BRiere is loking for a one year deal we should jump all over it…..he is an awesome role model for the younger players, look at the work he did with Griroux. He is a stop gap for one of the other wingers to hoepfully win a spot next season when the posibility that Gionta is gone away and there is a shortage at RW (ie Collberg). If he is not ready then perhaps

10. donmarco says:

Teams like Boston and Philly are banking on the cap going back up next season, probably to where it was this past season. Makes sense as it happened last lockout too, so teams may not be so shy adding term to contracts. Next few days will be interesting to say the least.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

11. habs-fan-84 says:

Briere did mention in his interview this morning that his family will be remaining in Philly…and whatever team he signs with would have to understand that….

Reading between the lines I believe it’s quite possible Briere is looking to go back to Philly next year and that he and Holmgren have already discussed this.

• Captain aHab says:

That’s certainly a strong possibility. Maybe Holmgren will sign him to an 8 year $32M contract.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• bel33 says:

That could definitely be part of why he’s apparently “okay” with a one year deal.

12. habsfan0 says:

MB has continuously indicated that he doesn’t believe signing UFAs is the way to build a championship team. With that in mind, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he does essentially nothing in this area.

• jedimyrmidon says:

What he meant was that he wasn’t going to go after the marquee UFAs that almost always get overpaid and a longer term than they should.

He signed Prust, Armstrong and Bouillon so MB is after utility players that won’t come at exorbitant costs.

At this point, with the team’s core maturing, I’m completely in favour of that approach. Unless he can sign a big name UFA who will still be productive when Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller & co. will be at THEIR most productive point, then I’m glad he doesn’t have any interest in such UFAs.

• donmarco says:

He has some money to spend, and he will. 9M can get you a top 6 forward, and at least 2 fourth liners, or depth d-men. With some leftover for an in season trade. Question is, who would we want? There’s room for Iginla, for sure.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

13. chrskwn says:

i agree, jarome fits the blank on the roster left by ryder. not only do we have gionta coming off of our books but we have markov as well. if possible, we trade them for picks before the deadline and if not, let them walk. i like markov but at this point, his age/injuries is about to catch up and it could be time for beaulieu to step up. this makes sense rather than signing a centre and hindering the youngings (elle, chuck) development. this, of course, can be done if it works alongside what subban, eller and the other ufas/rfas command by the end of next season.

• Gionta and Markov’s $10.75M may well come off the books, but they’ll have to be replaced or renewed, and Subban and possibly Eller are going to be in line for big paydays — Emelin and Diaz could get nice raises too, if they earn them. Galchenyuk’s contract is up in two years too — at least he and Eller will be RFAs.

If I’m MB, with those expenses coming up in a year or two, I’d want to be pretty careful about big salary commitments for the next year or two — especially if I expect to put together a contender in 2-3 years and may be looking to add stars via free agency or trades at that point.

• Captain aHab says:

Diaz won’t get big money. With Subban and Beaulieu, if Diaz wants big bucks, he’ll be let go.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• mrhabby says:

keep in mind if you sign iginla you are on the hook for all of his cap hit since he is over 35 yrs old…..

• habstrinifan says:

No Jagr.

14. BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

If the Habs pick up Briere. It’s a replacement for Eller till he gets back or a dis-pert team move don’t look like rebuilding to me.

A indication it’s going to be a long year for the Habs. With the present team and adding players like Briere. Playoffs will be hard to achieve.

Other teams in the Eastern Conference will be stronger while the Habs remain the same. we have to wait and see what kind of a team MB will put together from now till opening night in October he may surprise us….

• krob1000 says:

Is Eller expected to miss the beginning of the season as well?

• habs-fan-84 says:

We may remain the same as far as personnel is concerned, but I’d look for big seasons out of Eller, Galchenyuk (he was just starting to hit his stride near the end of the season) and Bourque. I’d also bet my bottom dollar to see any another 30+ goal season out of Pacioretty.

• Captain aHab says:

He’d be a replacement for Ryder not Eller.

Honestly, I think the Habs were shocked to do as well during the regular season last year. I don’t think they’ll have the horses still this year to go deeper in the playoffs and pretty sure MB realizes that. So the goal will be to plug some holes until a trade or an FA pick up can solve some issues and/or youth comes in. One year of Brière at reasonable $$ wouldn’t be so bad in a situation like that. Plus they could offer to trade him to a Cup Contender if it’s not looking good in MTL from that POV later in the season.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• junyab says:

I disagree completely. We’ll compete for 2nd-5th in the East. Our young players will be even better and able to take on more responsibility. But it will also depend on Price and how solid and consistant he can be.

15. Captain aHab says:

So Lebrun says he thinks it’s down to Devils, Habs and Preds for Brière.

—————-
    Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

Interesting mix of teams. Devils would be an odd choice given not much hockey atmosphere and the ownership there is cloudy at best. Nashville and Montreal probably couldn’t be more opposite options, each with merit.

1 year deal for a veteran who knows how to score goals I could live with. He would replace Ryder and probably brings more tenacity on the ice than Ryder. Remember hearing one of the Flyer defencemen talking in an interview last year about Briere. He said probably no other player in the league knows how to antogonize and get away with little things on the ice more than Briere, and how annoying he is to play against.

• florida habs says:

ok, I’m getting dizzy, do we like Briere now?

I am not a big fan of his, but a 1 year contract to replace some scoring isn’t the worst thing in the world. I get your point, and I understand why! :)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I liked him until he left Buffalo and didn’t come to Montreal.

(And no! I do not need a lecture on players and business etc — just me indulging irrational resentment).

• habstrinifan says:

NO! I will have to live with it cause I gotta be a fan.. but no.

Briere gives us the same-o same-o. And we’ll have another season of a coach juggling lines aimlessly. I am so fed up of this. But what can I do?

I like the excuse we are trotting out now. Briere replaces Ryder’s scoring. What scoring.. really?

Is that what we want.. to replace Ryder’s rate of production?

I have passed your message on to MB and he assures me that he is only placating the media with some Franco jock sniffing. :)

• habstrinifan says:

@HabinBurlington That’s ok! I dont care anymore. I’m gonna go along for the ride. I find it hard to wrap my mind around “we need to replace Ryder’s scoring”.

Everybody else here came from generations of hockey knowledge. I basically fell of the pommecythere truck so if people say it’s important we replace Ryder’s scoring I gotta go along.

I’m the guy in the back of the bus wondering when’s the next freaking piss stop.

• Mark C says:

HIO will go into a nuclear meltdown if he signs. I for one, cannot wait.

• junyab says:

If he is willing to take a 1yr deal it’ll be Montreal. If he really wants 2-3yrs it’ll be one of the other 2 teams.

• donmarco says:

Devils have cap room and location would be ideal for him. I suspect, yet again, that Montreal may only be used as leverage for a better deal. That said, I don’t know how much better we’d be with him.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

16. habs-fan-84 says:

Re: Briere and further to my point below…

“Regardless of which team signs him, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger told TSN Radio 690 on Thursday morning that Briere is looking for a one-year deal.”

17. Aerobiz says:

How come NO ONE seems to be discussing the fact that Iginla is available?

I mean really. If you’re going to throw big UFA dollars around how do Vinny and Briere get all the attention when a hard-hitting, goal scoring leader who is overflowing with the character criteria sought by MB is out there waiting to be signed?

• huge_polar_bear says:

I’m with you on this one. Iginla would look good in a Habs jersey. Much better choice than Briere IMHO.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I agree, but Iginla is probably looking for more $ and term (than Briere).

• Aerobiz says:

I think Iginla may be gettable for 20m/4y and it would be a very reasonable contract for us. Especially with Gionta coming off the books next year.

It would take him to 40 and he’s at least as consistant if not more than Alfredsson who is turning 41 and is still a major contributor.

More than anything out there Jarome would be best thing that could happen to the Habs.

• habs-fan-84 says:

I agree, I really wanted to land Iginla last year. But MB has shown so far that he’s not giving out any long term deals. It was rumored he only offered Lecavalier 3 yrs. If he’s only offering 3 yrs. to Lecavalier I don’t see any way MB offers Iginla 4…just my opinion though.

Iginla defines everything most of us want:

-proven 30+ goal scorer
            -“big”
            -hard hitter
            -fights

He does a little bit of everything.

• huge_polar_bear says:

Less injuries than Briere has had over his career, good work habits and a “team guy” (whatever that means). I would give him longer term and more $ than Briere in a heartbeat. Of course I’m not saying a stupid contract for 7 years, but I could see him sign for 4years.

• Aerobiz says:

Vinny has glass wrists and shoulders and is about 1 year away from being washed up. Anything more than 3 years would have been foolish (nice work there Flyers).

So its a very different scenario offering 4 years to Iginla than it is 3 years to Vinny.

But even if you disregard the Habs looking at him, he’s not being talked about anywhere for any team. Its just weird.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I love Iginla.
      But does anyone else think he was invisible in the playoffs? I am happy to be corrected on that, especially since I didn’t see as much as I’d have liked. But on the basis of what I saw — especially compared to the expectations — he almost seemed anonymous.

Or maybe it’s just Pittsburgh, where sometimes stars kind of cancel each other out for a while…

Waiting to be convinced. Like to see him in the flanelle, but not for too much money or logjamming are developing players.

• Aerobiz says:

He got 12 points in 15 games in the play-offs. Not stellar, but too shabby.

That whole team fell apart so I wouldn’t look too closely at Iginla for that.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good, good! That’s what I want to hear!
          And you’re absolutely right — the Pens just disintegrated. Hate to give cred to Clod, but I believe Bylsma was seriously out-coached.

I see we have signed Gill and traded Leblanc! Can’t believe it isn’t getting more discussion given there are links to the stories just above.

19. Haborama says:

I AGREE WHOLEHEARTEDLY THAT MB DOES NOT NEED TO MAKE A SPLASH IN ORDER TO FILL SOME OF THE HOLES ON THIS TEAM.

WE NEED A PHYSICAL ROLE PLAYER OR TWO WHO CAN TAKE THE HEAT OFF PRUST, AND A BIG DEFENCEMAN FOR THE BOTTOM PAIRING.

(whoops, capslock was still on, my bad :P )

As much as I would love to have Nathan Horton as a Hab, the term and amount of $$$$ that he is seeking is far too much, same goes for Clarkson.

Clowe is a good fit, he could play third line or second line if needed, work the front of the net, play physical, score the odd goal, and beat the crap out of literally anyone (I can’t remember him losing a fight in the past four years). Due to the disaster that was his last season in San Jose, I don’t think that his value would be too high, and common sense tells us that we would not need to overpay for his services as much, definitely no more than we needed to overpay for Prust.

Mike Rupp would be a superb fourth liner. He’s big (6,6) tough, a good fighter, has played with Prust in the past, and he can also play a regular shift with aplomb. I don’t think he is a UFA, but he can be had for relatively cheap on the trade market. (DD + 6th rounder would do the trick).

Jeff Schultz or Mark Fistric would be the best fits for our D.

If none of those guys are available, than there’s Matt Hendricks, Kieth Ballard, John Erskine, Zenon Konopka, Mike Komisarek, and Trevor Gillies.

A trade for Kyle Beach would bring toughness to Hamilton, and he MIGHT just re-discover his offensive upside if exposed to a fresh new system. He could probably be had for a bag of pucks.

Then you trade Weber for a half-eaten watermelon and a VHS copy of STARSHIP TROOPERS, and hope he flourishes elsewhere.

If you insist we need a top six winger, than Victor Stalberg would be a good signing, if that is not possible, than a trade would be best.

Just because they are “building through the draft” does not mean that there is no need to improve the big club in the meantime. No one here is suggesting a trade for Malkin or that we sign EVERYONE, just that there are a lot of role players on this years market that would be of great help to the Habs.

Happy Independence Day to all American HIO posters, have fun, designate a driver, and be safe!

• Luke says:

Love Starship Troopers.

Good return on Weber too…

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Sounds good, Haborama. I’m more familiar with Rupp than Clowe, for some reason, and I’d be very interested in Rupp if he can still execute and wouldn’t cost too much.

Did Clowe play injured last year?

From your long list, there are strong views on Komi posted below yesterday/last night that might interest you.

20. mark-ID says:

Remember that UFA day that we signed Cole…….?

ahh, good times! The power forward we all wanted.

• Haborama says:

Cole was great, I have fond memories of his time here. It was the lockout that did him in.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yup. Someone here posted a highlights clip that day and I remember my 7-year-old sitting on my knee and we watched it together on my laptop, both of us incredulous that this force of nature screaming in from the right side over and over could actually be coming to Montreal. How he stood out in a truly awful year. Only HH was celebrating!

Something went badly wrong during the lockout because something important was missing from the moment the season kicked off. And he flew LL’s parents out to Anaheim for his first game as a Hab. Too bad. I wish him well.

21. Puck Bard says:

Just read Stubbs’ piece on McCarron: in the dressing room? What a great kid… authentic, a breath of air.

• bel33 says:

His tweet from this morning was hilarious:
      “So happy Brossard has an @lululemon #hockeybutts”

Living the dream this one is… hope he doesn’t come into the league too hard and fast… ala Lindros (style not comparing skill)

Don’t run around trying to kill everyone… and hurt himself in the process.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

Is there any word on Lars Eller’s health? My sense is that after a concussion like that players may take months to be able to play again and often a whole year before they are back to their best.

• Ed says:

I know you will find this ridiculous, but don’t shoot the messenger.

Had the Ottawa series continued to 7 games, or especially had the Habs advanced, Eller was getting ready to jump back into the lineup.

That was the last word I heard before the season ended.

He was feeling very well.

• Captain aHab says:

That’s what I had heard as well.

—————-
        Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Because it’s the “arena”. You go back in. Look at Bergeron, passing off minor concerns to do with what? His kidneys!

Sometimes those decisions are the stupidest ones a player can make. And the stupider they are, the more Grapes and the like will praise and glorify them as if they just saved their platoon by limping one-legged up to the Panther tank and dropping in a grenade.

23. 306Hab says:

I remember Briere saying he hated The Habs as a kid, he was a huge Nordiques fan.

Why would he sign with us now?

24. frontenac1 says:

Hola and Happy 4th of July to all my American Amigos! Free Agency tomorrow, and 2 heavyweight Enforcers please. Saludos!

25. Gally27 says:

Briere looks to be a done deal to be announced at 12:00

• florida habs says:

who’s the lucky team?

• Captain aHab says:

Says who? Hoping it’s real short term. Guess Lou had no space for DB.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• habstrinifan says:

I dont care if it’s 1 yr.. I wouldnt like it. But he may come in and change my mind. It would take big impact for him to do that though.
      And yes I know… what I think does NOT matter.. so no need to go there.

• habstrinifan says:

Besides you can’t sign free agents until tomorrow.

• Strabo says:

He was bought out, he can sign anytime he wants. Just like Vinnie.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

• Dunboyne Mike says:

My sentiments exactly, Trini. But I’ll be waiting to be convinced about his level of commitment if a year is all he wants (and possibly a move back to Philly after as Chris suggests above).

Long time no see, Strabo. You have the most arresting and intimidating avatar on HIO.

26. Sportfan says:

I predict MB signs a few random guys! Also David Clarkson will get way over paid!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

27. Sportfan says:

In light of the no-hitter the other day here’s my take on no-nos and the possible next pitcher to throw one!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• BELIEVE IT OR NOT says:

Andrew Berkshire – He sums up the same team we had last year. How did we do. Gone in the first round of the playoffs and was beat down like kids in a schoolyard. WOW, what a team we would have.

Andrew Berkshire sums up the Habs’ present situation quite nicely.

29. ont fan says:

Jonathon Toews used “WE” 14 times, ” I” 0 times in championship speech. Lebron James used ” I” 18 times “We” 0 times. So says my facebook.

30. Habfan17 says:

Not saying I would do it, but would you trade Plekanec straight up for Hemsky? He has been struggling with injuries, but he would add a legitimate goal scorer with a ton of speed to replace Ryder. They both have the same cap hit. They are about the same age and Hemsky only has one year left on his contract.

Habfan17

• Captain aHab says:

Hemsky is a legitimate goal scorer? I would want more for Pleks.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• junyab says:

Heck no. Pleks is too important for us right now. The day he leaves we instantly become weaker in the middle (up until Galchenyuk is ready for the #2C spot). Hemsky isn’t as defensively sound, doesn’t play the PK, and won’t take Pleks’ faceoffs. It would be a serious hole creator.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Not a chance.

• Habfan17 says:

Thanks! It is nice to get some responses!

Habfan17

Hemsky is a better natural scorer and that is where it ends with him being a better player. Every other aspect of Plex’s game is much better in my estimation. Also Hemsky is indeed injury prone.

Would not go near that trade.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Paul Holmgren is crazy. We know that. He signed a declining Mark Streit (-14 last year, by far the worst on a team that was even in +/-) to a 35+ contract for $5.25M/yr for 4 years.

But I read that he is promising more action this week.

• junyab says:

I’ll predict that he’ll move 1 or 2 d-man and sign a Tim Thomas type veteran to split time with Mason.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice reminder of what has been emanting from the Liberty Bell City. ……And he donated a draftpick to the Islanders for the exclusive right to overpay an old star.
      Meanwhile, I hope Streit plays as long as Niklas Lidstrom did. Streit was the best Swiss-born player to have played for the Habs, even better than David Aebischer.

“May you live in interesting times.”

32. Lafleurguy says:

Habs will be competing with Detroit, Boston, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Tampa Bay, and Florida for one of four divisional playoff slots with the chance of one wildcard slot. Don’t know if something more colorful than “Division C” has been decided to name this division.

“May you live in interesting times.”

33. RiverviewCanadien says:

According to the TSN report (and LeBrun), Briere is still interested in Montréal. Now if the contract is accurate, might not be that bad of an idea to bring him while the young guys develop, takes pressure off of them.

From TSN:
    Briere Next?

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun, unrestricted free agent forward Daniel Briere has already narrowed his list of teams for next season to three. LeBrun adds on Twitter that he believes the Montreal Canadiens are among the three teams.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Briere was interviewed on the FAN590 this morning. He’s only looking for a 1 to 2 year contract …3 max.

Although I believe Eller is going take a big step this year as well as Galchenyuk, we’re still going to have to replace the production of Ryder. I’m not against bringing in Briere for 1 to 2 years while the young kids develop. His playoff production is also off the charts.

• florida habs says:

why would an UFA who probably has only one contract left to sign want a one year deal? is he looking to make his last $3-$4m and that’s it.