Habs’ Desharnais, Weber opponents in Swiss A League

Weberweb

There was a strange scene recently in the Swiss A League: Canadiens teammates David Desharnais and Yannick Weber were on opposing teams.

Desharnais, playing with Fribourg-Gottéron, was chasing the puck when he ran into Geneva-Servette defenceman Weber.

“Playing Davey was a bit strange,” Weber told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs with a laugh late Thursday night from the Swiss ski-resort town of Arosa.

“There were a couple of situations when we both went into the corner, I hit him and then we kinda laughed about it, having to fight a teammate to get the puck.

“It’s a little bit less physical here than in the NHL, but it was weird. You have to take it seriously because, at the end of the day, you want to win the battles in the corner. But we laughed about it afterward.”

You can read Stubbs’s entire column on Weber’s experience in the Swiss league during the NHL lockout by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the focus of the NHL lockout is shifting from the bargaining room to the courtroom. Read more by clicking here.

Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik showed some class and some Christmas spirit on Friday when he informed all full-time off-ice employees of the team that they will be getting an extended paid vacation. Read more by clicking here.

View a Voices of the NHL Lockout photo gallery by clicking here.

1. Dust says:

What if the players vote no to dissolve the union. What happens then? Does Fehr then conceed to the nhl? or do they just continue on? Hmmm any one have any ideas what would happen?

2. Habilis says:

Well I’ve finally come to the point where I’m actually embarassed to call myself a hockey fan.

I was among those who said, way back when, that there would be no lockout. I thought that these “top men” would be smart enough to realize that every day they waste is simply more money down the drain. Unfortunately I was quite wrong. This has become a battle of wills and egos instead of right and wrong and the fact that these guys can’t unpuff their chests for 5 minutes to broker a deal is downright moronic.

Of course it was going to go down to the wire. Of course it was going to get as ugly as possible before it got better. Of course these egomaniacal, manipulative snakes couldn’t do what was best for the sport.

What was I thinking?

3. The Dude says:

Leave Ian alone…he’s just want’s every one safe.And for those that want to talk Habs hockey only ,right now there is no team so what ever keeps the site trucking along is a good thing and give’s us more incite on each other for our next keyboard slap down .And as far as the States goes…man it scares me that something so powerful is so dark ages.Stupid Sheeple!

• Dust says:

Then he should have said that. What he said was ignorant. What happened yesterday was horrible and i feel for the families. Should gun laws be looked at and reviewed? Yes. just in the states? No, in Canada too

• Chuck says:

An inrodinate number of mass shootings happen in the United States. Yes, they happen in other countries, but only in the States is the response to gun violence is to buy more guns. The day after the theatre shooting in Colorado, gun sales went up 300%. It FAR too easy to aquire a gun.

Want to be a police officer or State Trooper? Then you’re put through a battery of psycological and classroom testing, weapons safety and usage courses, range training, etc. Yet in many States, a member of the public who hold a drivers licence can purchase an automatic rifle and ammunition with the only background check being whether or not they’ve been convicted of a crime. That’s just wrong.

___________________________________________________

• ZepFan2 says:

Big difference between Canada’s gun laws and the States. In Canada you can’t buy a gun at Wal-Mart.

———————————————————————-
        Ka is a wheel.

Fans Theme: “You’re Breaking my heart, You’re tearin’ it apart” – Harry Nilsson

You’re breaking my heart

4. Boomer says:

Read something interesting on twitter yesterday. I don’t know if it’s true though.
    “in the 90′s uk and australia passed gun control laws, neither has had a school shooting since”
    Hopefully steps are taken in the States (and everywhere for that matter) to ensure a tragedy like this never happens again.

• Chuck says:

The Australian Constitution didn’t allow for confiscation of property without proper renumeration, so they implemented a tax to pay for a fund to buy back weapons and to reimburse citizens in return for them giving up their gun liscences and the ability to own a firearm for 5 years.

That’s proactive thinking. And it worked. Instead, in the United States you’ve got pro-gun lobbyists suggesting that the answer to gun invasions in schools is to arm teachers.

___________________________________________________

• Ian Cobb says:

BUT TRUE! SAY ASH!
      I have been trained to use some weapons.
      In Canada we have to have a possession license for long guns, given by the RCMP. We have to submit to all background checks and apply every few years for a valid card with our picture. And that is just to go hunting for some birds or animals. They must be under lock and key at all times when stored in your home. You can forget about getting hand guns legally here, without a special permit.

5. Say Ash says:

Mods, please remove Ian Cobb’s comment. It’s ignorant, insulting and inappropriate for a hockey blog.

• topher5468 says:

Nope, just mine. I do agree that its inappropriate for a Hockey blog

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• topher5468 says:

Not sure if thats a dig at me because I couldn’t open the you tube segment but if it was, thats cool. This proud American still loves Canadians.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• HabFab says:

It was a “dumb ass” from Big Bang Theory :)
            And us Canadians love you right back!
            Your obsession with guns, violence and wealth however confuse and frighten us.
            It’s like having a neighbor that has an arsenal of weapons, prone to violent out bursts and you know something just isn’t right.

• Dust says:

Hab Fan i think you are way off here. I am Canadian. To say we have no gun problems is way off base. Is our problem as bad as it is in the states. No, but our backyard isn’t clean either. AS far as the obsession with violence goes. Im pretty sure UFC is extremely popular in Montreal. more so than most american cities. The obession with wealth is every country not just the states. Ians comment was way off base. I have to side with Topher on this

• topher5468 says:

I don’t live that way and neither do any of my friends or family. If you really love us, don’t judge all for the actions of some. I would assume you wouldn’t like that either

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• HabFab says:

Agree to disagree… @ dust

@topher…explaining our general perception to you as I’m sure you have noticed we have one. I personally have several dozen American cousins. Come from two families that straddled and lived on both sides of the border. And I would put it to them the same way (especially since most are “moral right” Republicans ;) )

• topher5468 says:

Hab fan, we or you have an opinion. Do you speak for all of Canada. Anyway, tired of this dribble. have a good day

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

6. SmartDog says:

When I look at Gary Bettman, all I see is a little guy who thinks he’s somehow a star because he has all these athletes in his control. Gary, you’re a little dweeb. I’m sure that was what you were in high school, and in college, and on your wedding day. And it’s still what you are.

This BS is so much about that a-holes personal grudge against Fehr, against ultimately losing the last CBA stand-off (even while he thought he won). If Bettman and co. gave a rat’s ass about the fans this would be over. Seriously, someone tell me how I can help punish this jerk for what he’s doing.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dust says:

I could say that if Fehr and the players gave a rats ass about the fans this would be over. I mean they did say how close they were to a deal. Instead they look to go to the court rooms and waste more time.

• Bill J says:

There was other things to agree upon, the league cut talks off. And when Fehr expressed optimism, the league pulled everything off the table and stormed off.

• Dust says:

When the league wanted to start discussions during last year and the summer the PA said no. Instead wanted to wait…and wait. then after the 1st proposal by the nhl (as low ball as it was) the PA took over a month to respond(with an equally low ball offer). Im not taking sides here. both sides are the cause to say nhl is the only resaon we are in this mess is BS. Both are to blame

• commandant says:

The NHL never provided the financial disclosure required by the PA to even evaluate their offer until 1 month after the offer was made.

If they were serious about negotiating early… that disclosure would have been ready

The “we wanted to negotiate early, but they didn’t want to” is PR spin and nothing more.

Both sides have been hunting for the January deadline from day 1. Both sides think the other will fold at the thought of losing a full season. Mid-January has always been the pressure point, and starting earlier wouldn’t have changed that.

• Mondou6 says:

I’m still trying to figure out how the NHL can claim in their lawsuit that they are not a monopoly, and there are plenty of other leagues players can play in, when at the same, the NHL and KHL have colluded for years not to sign each other’s players.

Also trying to figure out what problems this lockout is supposed to address. According to everyone, the NHL has record revenue, and the only problem appears to be teams in failed markets like Phoenix.

This lockout does nothing to address teams like Phoenix, it’s all just designed to take more money, and to guard against stupid GMs giving stupid contracts.

• SmartDog says:

Good post.

The lockout is to address 1 problem: the owners want more money (and some do need it) and the league wants to keep propping up teams in markets where they shouldn’t be. That’s it.

I agree too about the league’s legal position. They’re grasping at straws. For me the players have dealt with this with a high level of integrity. Nothing the league does passes the smell test. It’s a lot of BS.
        ————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Dust says:

only when they are under contract. If a player has no contract with an nhl team Russian teams can sign them according to the agreement.

• sevenman says:

As a fulltime reader and occasional poster I gotta say, “Smart”Dog you’ve outdone yourself with pathetic posts. What are you, 12 years old? You probably couldn’t “punish” your little sister.

7. Dust says:

What bothers me is that people say they feel sorry for the people that work for the teams that are getting laid off or getting hours cut. Than they say the play should be getting 57% or more of revenues. DO people not realize that the higher % of revenues the players get the less money there is for the average employee for the teams. Players should only get 50% of revenues so there is more money for the other people who work for the nhl teams… not just the owners.

• neumann103 says:

this is just total nonsense

Reducing player compensation is not going
      o mean higher salaries for other staff.

It is a fatuous argument that not even owner shills are making.

It is even more untrue than the “reduced player compensation will cause lower ticket prices” but league and owners actually tried to foist that laugher in 2004.

“Et le but!”

• Dust says:

Maybe they won’t get higher. however, while the players get their raises every year the lower end staff could all be on pay freezes as a way to cut cost. The players will make money hand over fist no matter what happens. If teams need to still cut costs to make money or break even in some cases, they will cut from the lower end employees. Its always the average joe who gets screwed in these situations, not millionaire players or owners

• commandant says:

People have to remember that HRR is a net number, not a gross number

The salaries of arena staff and employees (excluding the GM and Scouts and Hockey Operations staff) are removed from revenue before calculating HRR.

The ticket taker, the parking attendant, the usher, the merchandis and concession workers…. these people are paid long before the players take their 57% and owners their 43% (now 50/50)

• Dust says:

But salary for these employees is an expense that would be taken out of the owners 50% no? Or are you saying they are paid from revenue that is not included in HRR? Not looking to be a dick just looking for verification

• frontenac1 says:

So according to that article last week by Hruby , “Sports team owners in the U.S. Can for tax purposes Expense And Depreciate the cost of Players,just like Cattle” So , can they also claim Stud Fees? If so, how much? Would Mike Fisher get more of an expense than Scott Gomez for instance?

• commandant says:

The Staff Salary are removed from Gross Revenues before HRR is calculated.

It is removed and given to the owners before the 3.3Billion number is split 57/43.

The gross revenues in the NHL are bigger than 3.3

• neumann103 says:

no argument that the “little people” be they fans or ticket takers are the ones suffering

Just that cutting player compensation will not do a damned thing to help. It will just put money in owners pockets.

“Et le but!”

Just had to make a comment on the tragedy of yesterday! I am so sad and pissed at the same time!.
    The voters in the USA itself are responsible for these murders. Being the heaviest concentration of guns in public hands in the world.
    These guns are only made to kill people and they are in every home in America. Keep enjoying your news you American voters that are the laughing stock people of this planet.
    Or stand up! and get some gun control you global fools.

• Bill J says:

I fully agree with you Ian.

I am disgusted with the persistent and ignorant desire to protect the Second amendment, it’s a pathetically out of date law that absolutely requires updating for this day and age.

• Ian Cobb says:

Your vocabulary speaks volumes as to your character my friend.

• topher5468 says:

and your ignorance and arrogance yours, and you’re not my friend.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• topher5468 says:

Why would you want to be my friend? I’m a Proud American , I guess I’m responsible for murdering innocent men, women and children. You don’t know me or any of my friends yet you presume to say all Americans are to be held accountable. My friends and co workers were all stunned and saddened yesterday. None of my friends carry guns. We love hockey and football and our families. I love Canada, and I go up there all the time to watch my team play. I have learned some French as to respect the People that live there. I hate what happened yesterday, But at this time, I mourn, not place blame. I guess I’ll leave that to you

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Mondou6 says:

Ian, your comments are rude, out of place, and ignorant.

I’m as anti-gun as anyone, but saying “the voters in the USA are responsible for these murders”, and guns are in “every home in America” is just inflammatory hyperbole.

You should be ashamed to make gross generalizations like that. By your logic, the six adults who were killed are guilty also, right? After all, they are “voters” too.

Please show some respect and decency, rather than anti-American name calling.

• Chuck says:

While there may not actually be a gun in every home, there is one gun in circulation for every American: over 300,000,000 of them. That’s a problem. Too many weapons available to too many people that aren’t capable of handling them safely.

___________________________________________________

9. HabFab says:

“My message to owners and to players is, you guys make a lot of money and you make a lot of money on the backs of fans, so do right by your fans,” Obama said. “You can figure out how to spread out a bunch of revenue that you’re bringing in, but do right by the people who support you.

“And I shouldn’t have to be involved in a dispute between really wealthy players and even wealthier owners. They should be able to settle this themselves. And remember who it is that’s putting all that money in their pockets.”

10. commandant says:

Why are we still bringing up Chris “4 goals in 24 AHL Games” Kreider as one of the top prospects in the NHL?

I think we’re seeing now, he was a kid who had a hot streak in the playoffs over a small sample size.

He might end up a good 2nd line player, and the Rangers will need to be patient with him.

He’s just been so overrated on this site as a “future 40 goal scorer” and a “future superstar winger” that its not funny.

11. HabFab says:

” if it walks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it must be a duck”

• Bill J says:

It’s like the NHL wants the players to decertify, something that the league will have NO recourse against.

Frankly, I think the players if they’re having to vote regardless. Should vote to decertify, takes longer to do. Bettman will cancel the season, but the owners will end up paying the players three times that full seasons salary. I’m thinking guys like Molson don’t want to pay players like Gomez 21Million for a locked out season.

The league drafted their supposed “Lawsuit” (I recommend people read this VERY long winded and thought out lawsuit) very quickly I find.

It’s almost as if they had it ready in advance, you know… When they were supposed to be “negotiating” a deal. Seems they had no intentions on negotiating, just bullying the players into submission.

I repeat, after the players having had to go through 2 previous lockouts by the owners, THAT is why Fehr was brought in. Because he doesn’t lose very often, we as fans can look at that and blame him I guess. But the players sought him out and voted him in, it was for a particular reason. To protect their assets. And I would have done the same thing if I was in in their shoes.

Btw blaming the players for getting Fehr is equally miss placed anger.

• HabFab says:

Bill, sorry but I don’t see the NHL losing and end up paying 3 times their wages.
        I agree that Fehr is there to protect the players and that is their right…doesn’t help the fans though and IMHO has driven the moderate owners into a more hardliner approach (Fehr factor). My line is that I could really enjoy seeing Fehr mess with Bettman if it wasn’t going to deny me hockey. And to counter your argument the players didn’t start this, win or loss the addition of Fehr will add to the time it takes to resolve.

• Bill J says:

Oh I agree sorta, if the players hadn’t have gotten Fehr. We’d be watching hockey, but the players would only be getting 43% of HRR and be limited to 3 year deals with a maximum salary of 2Million, and the CBA would be signed for the next 60 years.

Ok, I’m exaggerating a bit. My point being, the players would have gotten screwed again! That’s why I support the players this time (I supported the owners last time though)

• Dust says:

They are gonna get “screwed”(as you put it) anyways. Fehr is just wasting time costing them all their paycheck this year. 1/5th of the average nhlers career earnings. I can’t figure out how making millions upon millions over 10 years is getting screwed. I just don’t get it

12. HabFab says:

RenLavoieRDS – Players vote to authorize the executive board to end the NHLPA status (disclaimer of interest) will start Sunday and will and 5 days after. If two-thirds of players say yes, the Board will have until January 2 to end the NHLPA status as a union.

NOTE: This doesn’t sound right to me but not a lawyer. He may have a mixed view of disclaimer and decertification.

13. Haborama says:

JOLS 101 is bang on re Wilson: were not just talking about power forwards here, were talking about power forwards with decent offensive skill who can also beat the sh*t out of opponents, Guys like Wilson and Kassian are very rare in that regard. Let’s face it, guys like Mantha and Erne may drive to the net and play physical, but they don’t scare ANYONE, PERIOD. We need someone like Wilson or Kassian to add terrifying destructive power to our top nine, and to make sure that no one takes runs at Galchenyuk, whilst not being a liability on ice.

Trust me, If Montreal could find a player like that in the draft, Galchenyuk, Collberg, Gallagher and company would be eternally grateful………………

• Fake says:

I agree with you on Wilson. Not on Kassian. I think he’s overrated.

• commandant says:

I don’t think Wilson has decent offensive skill.

He’s another Travis Moen IMO.

IF he ever scores more than 15 goals in an NHL season I’ll be very surprised, and I expect he will be at an average of about 10 goals a year.

Everyone wants the next Lucic, but thats not Tom Wilson. More like Chris Neil

• Mark C says:

In theory, this seems like it should work. But in practice the results don’t back this claim up. Lucic didn’t prevent the Romes, Cookes, and Jones of the world from delivering dangerous hits on his star teammates.

14. JohnBellyful says:

The growing enmity between the owners and players points to no hockey in the foreseeable future – which, depending on your crystal ball, could be anywhere from 17 minutes to 23 months, 27 months if you bought the Supreme Deluxe model – but I still hold out hope the two sides can work out something soon, if they simply choose another setting in which to conduct their negotiations. Fancy-schmancy hotel suites and conference rooms are no place to talk about a new deal. Too much comfort, too many distractions.
    The league and union should look elsewhere to get their house in order – and it’s not a courthouse.

Bunkhouse – Keep it simple: a large open room with cots that affords little privacy. That’s right, they stay in the same quarters until a deal is reached. Let ‘em talk bunk for days on end until even they grow weary of hearing the same tired rhetoric and begin turning their attention to what the game’s all about. Sitting around a wood stove chatting amiably about the good ole days and the good days to come. Change the environment: hostile to hostel.
    Note: Serve beans exclusively to accelerate the pace of negotiations.

Greenhouse – Move the talks into a setting that nurtures growth and fosters a sense of stewardship, assisted by the strategic application of fertilizer, of which there would be an abundance. The calming effect of being surrounded by non-threatening plant life would ease tensions and create a collegial atmosphere as league and union officials putter about, watering, pruning, and humming softly to the little ones in their care.
    Note: Obstreperous negotiators resistant to the charms of gardening would be introduced to Audrey II in the little shop in back.

Lighthouse – Dispel the fog of suspicion and animosity by retiring to a tower that points the way to a safe harbour of labour peace and assured profits. Cramped, spartan living conditions and a big light flashing in your eyes every five seconds should be enough to focus the mind on getting a deal done as soon as possible.
    Note: Make use of the hypnotic effect that comes with the sequential flashing of intense light to send a subliminal message that encourages a speedy resolution.

Outhouse – When talks have gone in the crapper, have negotiations follow them into the can. If the two sides can’t be civil, place them in a setting where civilities are in short supply. No private stalls, and just one hole for all the asses in what would be crowded surroundings (and, yeah, the guy on the seat would be surrounded). If that doesn’t lead to expedited talks, the situation’s hopeless.
    Note: Encourage the spirit of co-operation by having the negotiations take place in an expanded privvy with a long piece of lumber that hasn’t any openings. Supply a saw and let the two sides work as one on the make-hole provision.

Of course, there are many other places where the CBA talks could be held – the two sides would probably feel the most comfortable in the nuthouse – but, one thing’s for certain, if things continue as they have, the talks are going to wind up in the flophouse.

15. ed lopaz says:

when this CBA conflict began we, the fans, thought that both sides were “motivated” to save the season.

that was a miscalculation on our (my) part.

both sides planned for, and are comfortable with, a 48 game season.

this meant that neither side had to bend too far until the real crunch time – drop dead date – and that date is around the 1st week in January.

while they may have made gestures that appeared to bring them closer to a deal, if the 48 game schedule was acceptable to their constituents, why would they “break” and give in?

Bettman and Fehr, it would appear to me, both were given similar mandates. Keep negotiating as long as we can save the 48 game season.

Everything else has been fluff and public relations.

What the NHL and NHLPA need to impose on each other in the next CBA are STIFF PENALTIES on each side if a full season is not played.

A lock out by the owners would automatically trigger lower ticket prices for all 30 teams once the games would start up again – forcing a new economic reality on the owners – costing them millions of dollars for locking out the players.

Similarly, a strike action by the players would trigger automatic reductions of player salaries – costing the players millions of dollars of lost wages once the games began.

If both sides were hit with huge financial penalties, they would think twice before they would shorten a season to 48 games.

16. John Q Public says:

Requesting Info from those who have watched Hamilton games.
    Is the system being utilized by the Bulldogs exciting or boring?
    Management has said the system would be the same as the Habs.

17. Cal says:

After yesterday’s tragedy in Connecticut, whatever the NHL and the PA do is really unimportant. I have nothing but a great song that reminds us all of how important a few little words are. And no, I didn’t change a thing.

18. HabFab says:

From Stubbs on twitter, a classic by the masters;

19. HabFab says:

- Know a guy that is a trained labor negotiator.
    - Union man, his company employees him in a management position but he refuses to become one – hourly card carrying union lifer.
    - Hab fan but hasn’t paid much attention to the lock-out (call me when they start playing)
    - but he saw both press conferences last Thursday night and got intrigued by the totally different tones. So spent the weekend reading up on how the negotiations have gone since the start.
    - his comments are that any “don’t do” negotiating rule that exits have been broken by both sides but he was especially amazed by Fehr’s technique given his experience.
    - in his opinion Fehr should be trying to develop a connection with his counter part but by all appearances is attempting the opposite. (his quote, you can’t get a yes without getting positive feelings going first). Another comment was that Fehr was negotiating as if he was the big multinational corporation towards a economically poor workforce (ie in reverse)
    [ my thoughts here are maybe that was the way it was for him in the MLB]
    - thought I would pass on as I found his observations interesting

Think your buddy is right, dealing with Bud “Boob” Selig is different than Bettman.

• HabFab says:

He was very critical of and puzzled by Fehr negotiating techniques. (Told him that some called it the passive aggressive approach and others the rope-a-dope). He felt that the negotiations as being conducted now could only be resolved by one side surrendering, as there was no common middle ground nor any attempt to create one.

• Mondou6 says:

In other words, he supports Jeremy Jacobs.

• HabFab says:

Nope! He wasn’t taking sides, just examining it as a trained negotiator and as pointed out, personally very much an Union man. He was disappointed in that there was little obvious attempt to compromise or even set the groundwork for a compromise to make a deal. This from both sides however he seemed to be particular bothered by Fehr. My thoughts were that he was disappointed and puzzled, expecting more and better.

• Bill J says:

“Little compromise???”

From the owners perhaps.

The players have compromised a whole lot! To then say he was dissapointed in Fehr, to me makes no sense whatsoever.

But eh, what do I know. I’m not a union pusher. I just support the players in this mess.

• HabFab says:

Bill, he criticized both sides. I think he was more puzzled by Fehr techniques and end game. It wasn’t making sense to him and with Fehr being a Union negotiator Idol, maybe disappointed.

• Bill J says:

Ahh. I can see why it may be disappointing.

I dunno, I just think the owners as represented by Bettman never really intended to strike a deal.

It’s almost always been “take it or leave it” and with the common knowledge of league revenue being what it is, plus the clear miss-placed franchises in the sunbelt that the NHL refuses to move to Hockey markets… Well it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize, moving only a few teams to Hockey markets that the league would instantly become more profitable.

Look what happened last year, they moved ONE team from a non hockey market to a hockey market, and the league’s revenue jumped dramatically.

The leagues problems are not that the players are paid too much, it’s the moron who runs it who keeps teams with 5 fans attending alive!

• HabFab says:

Agreed and Fehr seems to be playing a drive the opposition crazy, not negotiating seriously game while waiting for the owners to give in due to frustration.

A pox on both!

• Bill J says:

What’s Fehr supposed to do? The only thing he’s allowed to table is losses for the players.

I don’t blame him for standing pat on some issues, i.e. the league started with offering 43% of HRR down from the players getting 57%. So to “negotiate” he had to accept a loss of 7% down to 50/50. The owners then accepting 50/50 is suddenly called a concession by the owners? How does that work exactly?

This entire CBA has been about giving the owners more, not about the players getting something else in return for the owners getting more.

So in effect, all Fehr can negotiate for his clients… Is to try and save their assets as best he can.

It will likely be argued in court that he was unable to achieve this with a “take it or leave it, we pull our offer off the table” mentality offered by Bettman and Daly.

20. jols101 says:

The Galchenyuk Watch -

56 points, 2nd in OHL scoring. 6 points back of Strome with 1 more game before the WJC break. Can he pull off a huge game against the Kingston Frontenacs and go into the break tied for the OHL lead in scoring ? Not the best team in the OHL with a run and gun style. Can he do it ? Doubtful but he may make it interesting…

21. HabFab says:

For the twitter fans, Beaulieu changes twitter name;

natebeaulieu new twitter name @natebeaulieu

• 24 Cups says:

The fact that they filed in New York is just as important as the fact that they filed in the first place. It’s basically a preemptive strike on the part of the owners.

The lockout is the primary issue here but after these past four poisonous months the animosity and hatred for each other is going to carry onward for years to come. Ultimately, that may be the real damage that is done here in terms of the NHL and it’s ability to grow the game and gain traction in the American market.

22. Boomer says:

Anyone know if Ottawa is gonna let zibanejad play for Sweden? I read last week they weren’t and the swedes were gonna appeal.
    I hope he does. Him, collberg,forsberg and company would be fun to watch again.

23. Boomer says:

i’m not a fan of Craig Button’s, but this is interesting.

• jols101 says:

That is interesting. Button does realize he is working for the Toronto Sports Network though in rating Morgan Rielly that high. He is a solid prospect for the Laffs but not better than many of those he is rated above.

A 22 year old Schultz being compared to 18 year old kids is also unrealistic. 4 years of development at that age, is too big of a spread to make an accurate comparison.

• jedimyrmidon says:

It’s curious how guys like Strome, Hamilton (yeah, Bruins prospect) and Huberdeau are below guys from the 2012 draft. Well, Yakupov is certainly making a case for himself, but they have all matured as players and can definitely be seen making the next step at this point.

And yes, I really do think the big anomaly on that list is Rielly at #4, highest of all 2012 draft picks. He’s a great talent, but he’s just so high up there as a defenseman who missed most of last year due to an injury and is higher than Hamilton who is viewed as probably the best Dman prospect out there (by others).

I honestly don’t see how an 18yr old scoring at a 1.75ppg pace after missing even more time due to the same injury and is 2nd in OHL scoring is ranked below him, especially since he’s a forward whose game is easier to learn. (This isn’t even counting Yakupov)

• 24 Cups says:

Where’s Chris Kreider? Or does Button think that playoff games count as NHL games played? Murray also seems to be well down the list.

If the goaltending holds up, the Oilers are getting ready to make a quantum leap in the standings.

24. Boomer says:

deleted lol
    I don’t feel like getting into it.
    let’s just agree to disagree

25. Haborama says:

two things…….

1. Galchenyuk now has 56 points in 32 games, could the pundits who said he was merely a product of Yakupov’s brilliance please report to the principles office………..

2. I saw a few posters talking about Tom Wilson, he is a great prospect and it sucks that we weren’t able to trade for his pick (really speaks to MB’s commitment to toughness, or lack thereof IMO) Does anyone know if there are any prospects like Wilson in the 2013 draft????

• commandant says:

1. Galchenyuk is freaking awesome. That is all. Can’t wait to see him at the World Juniors.

2. Tom Wilson is undisciplined and has no hands, he was drafted way higher than he should have been. I’m not a fan of drafting a bigger version of Travis Moen, or a Turner Stevenson in the first round.

If you want a big, power forward who can actually score goals, the 2013 draft is full of them. Maybe not as big as Wilson. But I like the 2013 power forward group a lot better. There is more potential power forwards this year than I’ve seen in a long time.

• Boomer says:

I like wilson as a bottom end guy, if he can get some discipline. Doubt he’ll be top 6 in the nhl, but you never know.

• commandant says:

I agree Wilson will be a third line NHLer. I just don’t look for 3rd liners at 6th overall.

• jols101 says:

16th overall, around the same time we picked LL, Tinordi and Beaulieu.

• commandant says:

Beaulieu will be a lot better player than Wilson, no doubt in my mind on that one.

Leblanc might end up a third liner, but also has 2nd line potential.

Tinordi will be a top 4 shutdown defender, and has the size and physicality of Wilson.

I take all three as better prospects than Tom Wilson.

• jols101 says:

22 games 7 goals and 17 assists for 24 points. Might not have great hands but he has decent hands plus he is pure destruction on the ice. Habs would be lucky to have him. Can’t be a team full of soft, undersized smurfs forever.

• commandant says:

Stats aren’t everything… I don’t think he has the skills to be a top liner.

I agree, I don’t mind having a player with size, who can play the game, both on the top lines and the bottom lines. I just don’t use a 16th overall pick to get Wilson, when I feel like you can find a similar player in the third or fourth round or relatively cheaply in free agency.

The price for a Moen or Prust might be high as a free agent, but its still much higher to get a legit top 6er.

• jols101 says:

There are just so few prospects that blend skill and scary toughness together.

I hate Lucic, because he is a Bruin, but i would love to have one on my Habs. I believe their are only a couple of prospects with the CEILING of becoming a Lucic type of player – Zack Kassian (Vancouver) and Wilson(Washington). They may never reach that ceiling but they have a chance because they are both scary tough like Lucic and have skills.

These guys aren’t just power forwards they are power forwards that can kick the crap out of an opponent when needed, and in the NHL unfortunately that is almost every game.

• commandant says:

There is only one Milan Lucic. These guys are not Lucic clones they don’t have the skill.

And yes, Lucic didn’t score much as a 17 year old in Junior, but his progression is 1 in a million.

Everyone wants to find the next Lucic, and its easy to see why.

However I believe that when the next Lucic does come around, he’s not gonna be this late bloomer, he’ll be scoring and fighting at 17 and be a top 10 pick.

26. Riga Fraction says:

Hoping the NHL decides to come up with a draft order based largely on last year’s standings if/when they decide to throw the trigger on the rest of the season. Sucking for one year and landing two top prospects would be very beneficial. Imagine the fricken Oilers landing MacKinnon on top of the stuff they’ve already scored though? OUCH!

27. commandant says:

Galchenyuk’s laser.

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I don’t know if I have quite the words or thoughts to address the senseless and horrific murder of elementary school children in Newtown, Connecticut today …it is a World so far apart yet so close to home

…Newtown is not far from My older daughter’s home, and she is devastated

…I watch the overview of the school, and it’s design and location is so similar to My younger Children’s elementary school, only a few steps from Our home

…They are both, now, in High School a little further away …They returned a few minutes after I first learned of the tragedy this afternoon, and after talking to My Daughter in Connecticut

…I don’t think I had ever held them so long and so firmly as I did when They walked through the door since They were born

…They, of course, thought I was nuts

…but, …that’s ok

29. munch17 says:

Desharnais not exactly lighting up the Swiss league.
    I still don’t know why so many think he’s a sure thing top 6 forward.

30. commandant says:

Another goal for Galchenyuk, 2g 1a

He tipped in a Murphy point shot.

• Boomer says:

6 points behind Strome(Gally has more goals though), same amount of games played but Gally got off to a slow start due to his injury last year. And Gally plays for…well let’s face it… a somewhat shitty team.
      Good on him!
      I’m happy to see Bozon producing without Lipon around as well. It’ll be a good test for him. 1 goal 2 assists in 2. Scoreless tonight but the game isn’t over yet.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Gally doesn’t exactly play for a bad team, and his linemates are actually quite decent. Granted, Strome has Brett Ritchie who is a big buy that can score, and Dougie Hamilton on the backend, which is better than what Gally has.

Posters on other boards have commented on the Sting’s lack of structure especially defensively, which tends to expose them against teams like Kitchener and London.

• Boomer says:

I guess i shouldn’t use the term “shitty”. He plays with guys that have trouble finishing. I’m not knocking them, they aren’t horrible… but he would definately have a lot more points if he were on a top team.

• Riga Fraction says:

Boucher buried his 23rd tonight, he seems to be doing pretty well at finishing. Again, I don’t believe you’re being fair to the rest of that particular team.

• rnnoble says:

That’s true, but Dougie Hamilton alone makes a ton of difference. Sarnia doesn’t have anything even close on defence. Galchenyuk may not be skating alone on the ice, but there’s no doubt that he’s the cornerstone of that team. It’s fun to see that in a habs prospect! It’s been a while since we’ve had that!

• Riga Fraction says:

Sarnia’s in first place in their division, and a point ahead of Niagara (Strome’s team). That’s not exactly a fair comment to make about them.

• Boomer says:

Take Gally out of the line up and what place would you put them in?
          I’m not looking to start an argument or be disrespectful in any way, but it’s a point to ponder.

• Riga Fraction says:

About the same any other team would be without their top players? There’s a lot being made about how terrible Sarnia is on here and it’s simply just not accurate or fair is all I am saying. Connor McDavid is as good as they get right now and Erie is in dead last because the rest of the team is lacking (tonight’s game notwithstanding). I’m not looking for a fight either, I just think it’s not a fair assessment of the rest of the team to dismiss them like that.

I don’t recall anyone saying McDavid has a great supporting cast either. Sarnia is a decent team at best, Gally is making them above average. I am pumped to see how he is carrying them.

31. frontenac1 says:

Brian Burke on int. In Mich game. His hair is all screwed up and his tie is almost off ! Hilarious!

32. commandant says:

Galchenyuk with a goal.

Laser wrist shot from the point on the PP, top cheese.

• Riga Fraction says:

Looks like team USA is the only squad with their players still with the OHL right now. Canadians and European teams have vacated their clubs at the moment.

• commandant says:

USA players go on Sunday.

Galchenyuk adds an assist on a pass to Sarault, who had a wide open net to shoot at.

• Riga Fraction says:

USA’s goalie is looking terrible tonight too by the way. Sure the team in front of him is pretty depleted, but they’ve outplayed Erie and he’s still given up 4 pretty brutal goals already.

(he looks like Subban looked this past week for Canada…. )

• Riga Fraction says:

There’s the 5th brutal goal… not a good night for Gibson.

I’m not 100% convinced USA’s goalie (Gibson) is even the best goalie on his own team right now. Palazese was the goalie of the month last month.

33. frontenac1 says:

CBSSH now showing NCAA western Michigan vs Michigan Wolverines. Do we have any prospects playing?

• Ron says:

That was Elliotts take on Thursday, wonder what he thinks now that the league has filed the Class Action Complaint and the Unfair Labor Practice charge to the appropriate courts and board.

34. frontenac1 says:

I think DD would kick Webers arse in a tilt.

35. rhino514 says:

Very quiet as far as prospects go, but Beaulieu is starting to adapt to his new league. He is piling up points the last few games and got his first goal yesterday.

I have been trained to use some weapons.