Habs’ Desharnais shoots 88 at Royal Montreal

Canadiens centre David Desharnais took part in Monday’s RBC Canadian Open pro-am at the Royal Montreal Golf Club on Île-Bizard, firing an 88 in his first round ever on the course.

Desharnais has a 14 handicap.

“I’m normally shooting 85 to 90,” he told The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs.

Desharnais told Stubbs he took a two weeks off following the Canadiens’ elimination in the Eastern Conference final before starting dryland training for the 2014-15 season and that he will be back on the ice later this week.

“I’ve got two months left until training camp, so that’s pretty good,” he told Stubbs. “The rest after the season was more mental than physical. You have a couple injuries, nothing serious, so the two weeks off were perfect.”

Desharnais also noted that the Canadiens’ dressing room will be different next season following the departure of captain Brian Gionta and Josh Gorges.

“It’s going to be different, for sure. The wheel is turning,” Desharnais said. “Everybody needs to step up and show more leadership, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Desharnais added that he will miss Ryan White, who was not offered a contract by the Canadiens and is still looking for a job.

“Whitey is a big friend of mine,” Desharnais said. “It will be a big loss for me personally and I think for the room.”

(Photo by Phil Carpenter/The Gazette)

Desharnais stickhandles around Royal Montreal, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Parenteau says joining Habs a dream come true, TSN.ca

Former Hab Vanek testifies in gambling case, Minnesota Star-Tribune

Leafs shake up front office, name Dubas assistant GM, NHL.com

1. petefleet says:

Good morning Hab fans,

I just read the article on losing Gallant to Florida. I got the impression that the players really like Gallant. I also witnessed him reeling them in at times on the bench last season. I believe he will be missed for more than his knowledge of the game, maybe more for his control of some players.
    That said, I believe MTL should go after Kirk Muller again. You want offense and a good PP, he’s your man. He brings instant credibility and is very well respected by the players and the city. Capt. Kirk would be a good fit for 2015 Habs. Imagine the success the team could have if they manage to keep the same level of play as last season but improve the PP.
    Go get Muller MB.

“Being on the PP doesn’t make you an offensive threat anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car.”
    Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
    Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

2. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning,

With the recent RFA decisions on Zuccarello and Sobotka (to retain rights even though he signed in the KHL) it’s starting to become more clear where an Eller contract may end up – that is, if the Habs don’t go long at 3-4 years.
    Eller is a potential UFA summer 2016.

Sobotka $2.725M. 9 goals 33 points
    Zucarrello:$3.5M. 19 goals 59 points
    Eller:…………………12 goals 26 points

To note: Both Zuccarello and Eller had identical playoff numbers (5 goals-13 points) while Zuccarello played 8 more playoff games.
    $3.1M-$3.3M looks like about right.

In Eller’s favor:
    Zuccarello total minutes PP time season/playoffs:201/76.
    Eller………total minutes PP time season/playoffs: 85/8.

• petefleet says:

It’s too bad the crystal ball isn’t working. If Eller is going to play this season like he did in the playoffs, give him high end money. If he plays like he did in the reg season, low end money. Either way sign him because he is a valuble asset to the team.

Henry Ford

“You can’t believe everything you read on the internet”.
      Abraham Lincoln

***Go Habs Go***

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning Ronn. Sounds right to me. I wonder if term may be something Bergevin is thinking about here as well?

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

Eller probably also wants term – especially Eller, as he was close to a career ending injury and knows that feeling where the notion of ‘youth bulletproof’ vanishes in a moment.

$13M-$16M guaranteed for 4 years regardless of injury/bad play sets up in individual for life, instead of 1 year at $3M before taxes.
        Even if all went well, after 4 years, he would be a 29 year old UFA.

3. CJ says:

Up, showered and ready for a new day. I just can’t decide if I’m going to fish or golf this morning…..

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

Update: on Alex Smidt, son of John (HabsGod) Smidt

Photo of Alex looking like He will be putting His skates back-on soon :)

5. southaltahab says:

If we’re still on minor characters, Spike from Notting Hill is great if you like the Richard Curtis movies. A couple other movies I really like are “The Dish” about the moon landing, and “The Castle” about an eccentric family. Both are movies from Australia. Both kind of gentle charming movies.

• JohnBellyful says:

I thought Dug in Up (2009) stole the scene whenever he appeared on the screen. (It was the high point of his career, it appears; I haven’t seen him since. Too many distractions, I guess.)

6. UKRAINIANhab says:

Well, why did they change the name from Habs inside Out? Who gives a crap about the other 29 teams, this is a Habs fan-board.

Also, why not change it into a forum like setting, I find the reply system is rather weak. You pretty much can only reply to posts that are 30 mins old, or else you will not get a reply to your reply (if you are lost at what I am saying, have a nice day). So why not introduce an alert system for when somebody replied to your comment, that way you can log in later and reply to them. It would keep conversations a float. Also, introduce a ‘like’ system.

Everybody comes here for the comments, unless you were intrigued by what David shot at the pro am…

Just some suggestions… As I sit with my coffee morning in little Paris, Ukraine ( can anybody name the city in Ukraine that is referred to as Little Paris? Just out of curiosity? )

• southaltahab says:

Can’t name the city in Ukraine but I agree with you that it would be nice to be notified if someone replied to our posts. It happens on some other sites I post at.

• PK says:

Mais Oui, Lviv!

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Loop_Garoo says:

Good morning, I do like the alert and like features you mentioned

• SPATS says:

Habs is a trademark
      Canadiens brass didn’t want the Habs name used

7. Garbo says:

Chicken or the egg?

Hey, these teams are really good, so let’s statistically analyze what they are doing well. Now that we have the stats for those good teams, lets develop a metric upon which to judge all other teams going forward.

8. Pattyice says:

American history X don’t get much better than that movie!

9. Marc10 says:

Thought I’d share this. Hitchcock Twitter chat with fans:

In other news, they’re shutting off water in Detroit for people who haven’t/couldn’t pay their bills. And Illitch gets a gigantic BJ for building a hockey rink. Feudalism at its finest.

10. CJ says:

I haven’t visited the site today, so forgive me if this post is repetitive, but has anyone noticed that Desharnais is practicing on an elevated tee deck? Sorry, just struck me as strange and perhaps somewhat ironic.

I’ve not played Royal Montreal, but I understand that it’s a gorgeous track. I see that score golf Canada has just released it’s 2014 rankings. Royal Montreal is in the top tier. Surprisingly Royal Ottawa is 64th. I don’t place a great deal of stock in the rankings, but it does provide a point of reference. For those golfers in the Montreal area, I have full reciprocal at Laval Sur le Lac, Beaconsfield and Summerlea. Not sure if anyone has played any of the three courses recently, but I’d value feedback as I’d like to visit the city and play the two best sometime this summer.

Switching gears, I am very much looking forward to having the pleasure of connecting with a few new friends tomorrow at a mini HIO summit hosted by our very own Frontenac. It will certainly be worth the drive to Kingston. If you don’t hear from me for a week or two, I’ve fallen under Front’s spell and am destined to live out my remaining years in the limestone city, which incidentally is my place of birth.

In any event, wishing you all the very best! Cheers, CJ

11. jmac21 says:

Stupid not resigning Whitey
    Not many good character guys left in the nhl
    Mikey will run all the good guys out before he is done screwing this team over

12. PK says:

MB may get it done before July 25th and Aug 1st in terms of the two RFA’s. However, if Lars and PK complete the arbitration route, who thinks that they will be Habs going forward, long term?

Will one or both get traded before they become UFA’s?

I hope that both stay in a Habs uni but PK is the key player in this scenario. Lars is more easily replaceable (although, I like his potential as a big third line centre).

A little bit antsy about all this ….

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not singling you out, but there have been a lot of posts fretting about the lack of progress in the negotiations, probably because we don’t have much to talk about.

The big reason we’re not hearing of any progress is because Marc Bergevin runs a tight ship, with no leaks. It’s been that way for every contract he’s worked on, no news until the deal is announced. We should understand that the work is being done behind the scenes, we just won’t get a blow-by-blow.

As the clock strikes midnight, these contracts will get done, like the Andrei Markov contract was done as a deadline approached and both parties were motivated to adjust their positions.

The only reason we worry is that we keep posting on HIO that we’re getting worried, since we haven’t heard anything, and everybody else is saying they’re getting worried, and that’s worrisome, and…

• PK says:

Hey UCe, fretting is probably too strong a word.
        A bit quiet on the Habs’ front … I am just enjoying the summer and trying to get some Habs news.
        I like what MB has done with the team so far.
        I am sure that those involved, will sort out the contracts,
        (otherwise, HIO will be on Red Alert!).

P.S. Like many here, I enjoy your posts. :)

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

13. Un Canadien errant says:

One more actor in a minor role who kind of steals the show was Jack Black in “High Fidelity”. Great movie, great scenes with Jack Black, who was very much under-the-radar at the time.

14. mrhabby says:

we have had our chuckles with the leafs over the years but i think it was great move by shanny to move out those 2 guys and bring in a stats guy. Surely the NHL is way behind MLB on this front.
    Its no coincedence that teams like LA , Chicago etc,etc lead the leaque in possession of the puck resulting in very good results. hence all the corsi stats . it will be interesting to see what happens.

15. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Well, Galchenyuk had better be ready for big minutes at centre now. Apparently Desharnais stepped too close to the hole after a putt, and he can’t get out.

16. Steven says:

Surely mentioned before, but Toronto nabbed David Booth on a 1-year contract.

I think that’s a great move on their part. That team wasn’t looking much better(in fact, it looked significantly worse) than they did last year. Taking a gamble on this guy for a year makes sense.

It’s at times like these that I’m happy to be a Habs fan. I’d hate to wish that our team took gambles just to fill out the roster.

• scamorza says:

Agree wonder if he will be this year’s Raymond for them ( thought he was one of the better laughs last year)

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

17. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

So the Leafs hired a 28-year-old advanced-stats guy to be their assistant GM… how long until the Habs start raiding the halls of Eyes On The Prize? ;)

18. stevieray says:

Just back from the golf course Partners and dustin off the old saddle bags ….and read about that polecat Shanahan hiring some young buck who knows anatlitics and other meatrics…..what the hell is the hockey rink coning to ….Me thinks Shanahan been wearin that 3 piece suit to long or his neck tie is to tight …

Off to Campbell River in 2 weeks to visit the boy ….have a salmon charter booked to do a little fishin and he has some Lucky on hand to wet the whistle …but I’ve been reminded to take him a box of Olands ….yippee chi oh cie ya !!

19. on2ndthought says:

I looked but could not find any numbers on how many arbitration awarded players are still with their original teams 3 years later. Anyone?

“a cannonading drive”

20. twilighthours says:

Just got back from Vermont.

Any word on Habsgod’s son?

And Punkster… You got the right ta-ta, but the wrong ho-ho. As a piece of cinema, it doesn’t get any better than JFK. Zero Dark Thirty is close, though.

21. Say Ash says:

LOL. Tim Peel lasted on Twitter for only 18 hours!

22. Habfan10912 says:

Just checked in here and saw a conversation on movies and am glad Caddyshack was given notice but for the love of God, how could Animal House be left out? Really guys and 7 ladues?

CHEERS all!

23. adamkennelly says:

all I know is 88 for a supposed 14 handicap at Royal Montreal under Canadian Open conditions is a great score…I’m sure they played from the whites but regardless – he is a massive sandbagger or he cheated…I’m a 5 and play to it most of the time and I’d have trouble breaking 90.

a 14 handicap is not good at golf.

• B says:

I wonder how Rory is at hockey?

–Go Habs Go!–

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Canadian Open conditions are not that tough. I am no scratch golfer but played at Glen Abbey after they had it and didn’t notice any difference. If he cheated to speed up play, good for him :)!

• SPATS says:

Me too, it was 1988 the year Ken Green won. My buddy was working security for the week and managed to get us on early the Monday after. Man was that rough long! The scoreboards were still up too. I managed to shoot a 99 off an 18 cap by going 56-43 with a deuce on the first par 3 (number 4?) anyhow, it got me a skin and $200 out of the pot (I didn’t even know I was in a skins pot hehe)

Bottom line, keep it in play and try to putt to come up 30% shorter than you usually would (those greens were slick) and you’ll be fine!

Later in life, I managed to join Royal Colwood, sister course to Royal Montreal in Victoria BC. I could have play Royal Mtl for free on a reciprocal (or any other royal family course) but never got around to it. shame on me

24. UKRAINIANhab says:

Subban for Letang.

Worst trade proposal ever.

25. John Q Public says:

Just watched True Romance.
    Funny. Terrible music.
    Best line “You got heart baby”.

• habitunts1 says:

That movie is fantastic if it’s the one with Christian slater. I love where he keeps seeing Elvis in the mirror trying to amp up his courage.

#10

26. Un Canadien errant says:

The Ottawa Senators react to the Leafs hire of Kyle Dubas.

27. Un Canadien errant says:

More on the shameful arena deal the city of Detroit bafflingly entered into with the billionaire Mike Ilitch.

• Maritime Ronn says:

From the article
      “… the development will create 8,300 short-term construction jobs and 1,100 permanent positions.”
      ————
      The age old argument of liberal vs. conservative.

Give away free money with no strings or responsibility attached (unemployment-welfare-and now fake disability which is skyrocketing in the USA) vs. creating jobs and making people work for money-pay taxes-then spend back into the economy while just quite possibly, they may gain a sense of self worth by actually working for money.
      That sense of self worth may also happen to translate into a better family atmosphere…something so desperately needed.

You can decide whether almost 10,000 jobs are worth it vs. continuing to feed a no-end welfare state and a perpetual attitude of the same.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Actually this is welfare. It just happens to be welfare for Illitch.

The job creation angle of pro sports has been debunked repeatedly.

A true free market conservative would oppose this deal, seeing it for what it is: wasteful govt handouts.

—–
        Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Please.
          This goes on every day with high profile companies where state is in competition with state to either hold or attract the company and its jobs-that also create indirect jobs.

This situation becomes high profile because it’s sports – and people love to hate self made rich people that built something – not to be confused with bankers..

Do you believe that Bombardier in Quebec doesn’t do the same?
          Do you believe in their history they never extracted interest free loans-outright grants-payroll tax credits that were paid for by the population?

That’s the real world of big business.
          If the state says no, companies move on to more friendly states that offer all of the above plus tax incentives for its shareholders…often times, shareholders happen to be government institutions such as CPP.
          Go on the Canadian government site and see who they invest in.
          It might surprise or even shock you.

• DipsyDoodler says:

The fact that it goes on all the time, or that it happens in Qc, doesn’t change that it (1) goes against supposed free market conservative principles and (2) is inefficient and undesirable.

You made it seem like a conservative should support this deal. This is not correct. A true conservative wouldn’t.

I don’t hate Illitch, don’t even know much about him, – but I don’t think the state should give handouts to billionaires, and lie about job creation to do it. Detroit could invest in infrastructure, public safety, and schools as a way to get itself back on its feet, for example.

I also don’t think Quebec should use tax dollars to support Bombardier or Quebecor.

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• boing007 says:

I checked out the history of subsidies for Bombardier and Quebecor several months ago. Federal, as well as provincial. Bombardier has been receiving federal money for thirty to forty years.

Richard R

• Chris says:

It does go on every day in all sectors. However, it is becoming increasingly obvious that Canadian corporations continue to sit on the money they are getting from governments as incentive. This despite pleas from the Bank of Canada and government officials at both the provincial and federal level basically begging those companies to spend those funds on the infrastructure investment, training or research and development that they were intended to help spur.

So you could make a pretty compelling case that government subsidies to publicly traded corporations have been a dismal failure in many cases, just as has been shown repeatedly with municipal and provincial/state government handouts to sports franchise owners.

There are times where investment and subsidies from the government do work. But those times are getting more rare all the time, and governments are at their wits end trying to figure out how to break the deadlock.

• Un Canadien errant says:

1) The arena isn’t going to ‘create jobs’, but rather add more part-time low-benefit McJobs to the economy.

2) The only reason Mike Ilitch is in on this deal is because it’s going to further fill his Scrooge McDuck vaults. He can build the damn thing himself. That he takes money from bankrupt Detroit, which is defaulting on the pensions of its police officers, firefighters, teachers, nurses, etc, is unconscionable.

3) Detroit assumes part of the cost, but won’t share in any revenue, which is madness. If it pays for half the arena, it should get half the concessions, parking, ticket revenue, etc.

4) The tax money that is being used on this project, despite apologists who say it will be ‘self-financing’, actually removes funding that could be used in other areas. So if in the best-case-scenario increased economic activity in the neighbourhood generates enough taxes to pay for the city’s share of costs, that’s still tax money that could have gone to schools, infrastructure, social projects, etc. Instead, it’s going to Mike Ilitch.

5) Those 8300 short-term construction jobs could have been created by building infrastructure that lands in the public domain, like community centres, schools, etc. Instead the public money is going to hire workers to build a palace that Mike Ilitch owns.

6) The Welfare State that you decry is actually not single mothers on welfare, but billionaires who extort public money for their own ends. Detroit should have held firm, and understood that Mike Ilitch needed Detroit more than Detroit needs his Red Wings.

• Loop_Garoo says:

That is an extremely biased post, and a great deal of it is inaccurate. Family atmosphere in this country is also the healthiest it has been in decades, so not worried about that. Usually enjoy your posts Ron, and yes jobs is a good thing, but most of those jobs are extremely short term, a couple of months to due your thing then gone, and the 1100 permanent positions are almost all minimum wage part time gigs, not the type of jobs Detroit needs.

The vast majority of people on social assistance (yes there are exceptions, always will be) want to work. Most people however do not their sense of self worth from their job, they get it from their family, their volunteer work etc.

• Loop_Garoo says:

This really is not in anyway about the “welfare state” ( which neither Canada or the US are anyway) but about basic equity. If you want to create jobs, that money needs to go to educating those who can’t find work, or afford school, to creating the infrastructure Detroit needs to re-develop, to support those workers in creating their own companies and projects, to turn the water on for the thousands in that city that have been abandoned by the large corporations who shipped thousands of jobs overseas etc. Art Galleries, Orchestras, Scholarships, community gardens, tearing down derelict buildings (a serious psychological/morale issue) etc etc all create more sense of community, belonging, and self-worth, more jobs, and a more diverse and resilient economy. This does not, and the vast majority of those permanent jobs are already at the Joe Louis Arena, the actual number of jobs created is very small

• Casanova says:

The X number of jobs created is seen, but that which is not seen is the X number of jobs that were not created when the neccessary taxes were collected. In other words, prior to being taxed the citizens would have used that money to purchase goods of their choice thereby creating jobs.

(1) It is likely that the citizens would have spent the money on more productive things than what the government spent it on… (2) It can be argued that forcefully removing someone’s property (taxing) is immoral just as stealing is immoral.

28. GrosBill says:

Yes, I know anyone can look good in a 3-4 minute highlight video, but I though some people may want to see McCarron’s from last season.

29. Un Canadien errant says:

Katie Baker on Ovie:

You might not know it from the reliably shirtless exuberance of his Instagram feed, but Alex Ovechkin has been having what must be a pretty rough six or so months.

It’s somewhere between a toothless attack and a vicious homage.–Paul Rudd

And now. The list to top all lists. The enfant terrible of movie reviewer web sites, ruthless to say the least, and that most awesome period of movie making… the 80′s.

Don’t say you weren’t forewarned!

31. Bash says:

The number of golfers who shoot 80’s is actually quite low and 70’s incredibly low.

Of course I am usually around 82 so I could kick his little short ass. :)

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

• Maritime Ronn says:

There are several studies out there that claim that 80%-90% of golfers cannot break 100… if they actually counted all their strokes and knew how the rules worked.

Things like Mulligans – foot wedges – 8-12 foot 3rd put gimmes-bizarre sand trap throw outs…and then out of bounds from the tee, ( dropping the ball in the fairway instead of reloading) or not understanding the difference between a yellow and red stake hazard…yellow means playing over the hazard again ( point of entry lined up with the flag then go straight backwards) instead of dropping the ball on the other side…

• CH Marshall says:

I have a feeling an HIO GOLF-OFF is in the near future..

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

#RogersPetition Update

Just checked-in on the Petition

I’m only giving the update early today because of the significance that We hit 1, 800 …1,824 to be exact

The significance is, that after 3 very slow days, We have received a surge of 200+ supports in the past 48 hours.

I’m very curious to find out if there is a potential for 5,000 by the time We get to October.

But, truth be told, I much prefer Rogers will surprise Us by announcing something to assuage Us before then, …because I much prefer to be Campaigning To Retire Toe Blake’s Number 6 !!! :)

Here are the last 10 whom signed the #RogersPetition

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

33. Un Canadien errant says:

‘Memo To’ segment on TEAM 1040:

Memo To: Shanny

I will eat Stat Boy’s liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Signed: Randy

34. Habitant in Surrey says:

Kyle Dubas hiring a victory for hockey analytics; New Toronto assistant GM a fan of Moneyball-type approach

Does this mean the Cheshire Cat …I mean Andrew Berkshire is to be hired by da Habs as Their Corsi Fenwick Guru ???

…and this summer was going so swell up to this point :(

…please assure Me that is but only a malicious rumour

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• krob1000 says:

The idea of finding value per dollar is and should be the most important factor in a cap era.

how they determine that value? that is the magic question…..I believe the key is in determining who makes the best decisions so the general idea of possession is of value…but the curentmeans of measurement (w e are privy to anyway)…are IMO not really doing the trick.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

To be serious for a moment, I believe analytics are part of the equation. And, to be fair to Andy, though He was a p—-k as a member of HIO, he and the gang over at EOTP have produced an entertaining and interesting alternative read for Habs Fans.

I will always go by what My eyes see on the ice, but I am not close-minded about the extra input analytics provides.

____________________________________________________

Petition To Protest Roger’s Blacking Out Of Habs’ Games On RDS West Of Quebec

Read and sign at; http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

• krob1000 says:

I admit I like some of their articles..I find myself there more with HIO pretty well asleep in the summer…and I view those stats like any others. I do like the usage stats and matchups,etc. I view the shots and possession stats like I view plus minus….there are so many other factors tat go into them…I still reference plus minus at times. I think wen someone see Josh Gorges they see all those heroic blocked shots…but they ignore all those pucks dumped away and chanced to advance the puck missed. The key to hockey alaytics will be decision making…this can be done through video review but the time to do it league wide would be crazy.

• CH Marshall says:

This guy is just going to add to the dysfunction of the Leafs organization.

35. DipsyDoodler says:

OK I think we can do this.

Eller and a 2nd for Letang.

Tinordi for Marleau.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I mean the other way:

Eller for Marleau and Tinordi plus a 2nd for Letang.

Cup contenders after that.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Tinordi plus a 2nd for Letang?

That’s way too much.
      Try Moen and a 5th for Letang.
      GM Shero would jump all over that.
      He might even keep part of Letang’s salary.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Let’s not get ridiculous. Unless you’re trying to deride GM Jim Rutherford.

Kris Letang is an elite defenceman who’s had some serious injury trouble. That and his cap hit and term now lowers his trade value, but Tinordi and a 2nd doesn’t get us there I think, so your counter isn’t up for discussion.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Pens are desperate to ditch salary – although perhaps less so since they traded Neal. Shero’s gone anyway.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

How is Pittsburgh in Cap trouble?
            They have $6.4M left and only a few RFAs to deal with.
            Not ideal, yet far from a Hawks situation.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I posted ridiculous to counter ridiculous..

Letang is an elite Top 2, and if healthy the discussion starts with Subban or Galchenyuk…or at least Gallagher + Beaulieu and a lot more added to that combo.

Is 88 supposed to be a good score?

• krob1000 says:

Nope….and he had the best lies, the best playing partner and he wouldn’t let the talented center who was in the group behind him play through while he was off chasing his errant drives.His short game is good though. His average of 3.5 on par 3′s was very good for someone of his caliber and he played with a lot of heart in the the playoff holes. His playing partner said he was the best partner he ever golfed with though …helped him through some rough Patches.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I never broke 100, so I think it’s really good.

37. Luke says:

Well that was a quick sprint to 160 comments.
    Only 3,355 more to go…

38. Maritime Ronn says:

Funny stuff

Habs fans favourite referee Tim Peel ( tied with Chris Lee) decided to go on Twitter.

That lasted about 18 hours….

What SB Nation did not recognize was that NHL referees – according to the CBA, are NOT allowed to Tweet, or are allowed to use Social Media.

Adam Proteau – Columnist for the Hockey News:

Just had a great chat with Tim Peel.
    He loved his brief Twitter experience but the NHL’s CBA prohibits officials from social media.
    A shame.
    ———————–
    Thoughts? (about muzzling?)

39. Un Canadien errant says:

Stretching it a little bit, the role is a touch above ‘minor’, but Marky Mark in “The Departed”:

“Who are you?”

“I’m the guy doing his job! You must be the other guy!

40. shiram says:

Toronto Maple LeafsVerified account ‏@MapleLeafs

. @SportChek Player Alert: #Leafs sign David Booth to a 1 year contract http://bit.ly/1lrATyf #TMLtalk pic.twitter.com/puQ6btU4F3

41. JohnBellyful says:

Imagine a movie with Christopher Walken, Willem Dafoe, Jon Voight, and Bruce Dern, directed by David Lynch. Who would play their love interests?

42. HammerHab says:

One of my favourite movies Donnie Darko has great supporting performances by Holmes Osbourne (as Eddie Darko), Mary McDonnell(as Rose Darko), Beth Grant (as Kitty Farmer) and finally Patrick Swayze (as Jim Cunningham) is brilliant. Drew Barrymore’s pretty good in it too.

Bet ya didn’t know Seth Rogen was in it

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

43. knob says:

Congratulations David. Your new nick name is 88. Not because you will ever score 88 points but because you suck at golf. Btw, I probably would have shot 115 lol.

44. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m kind of stretching it with this one, but the one line right at the start of Gilbert Gotfried’s cameo in Beverly Hills Cop 2 always made me laugh, and I use it and adapt it to this day: “Come right in, come right in, don’t let the fact that the door is closed deter you in any way from entering.”

45. johnnylarue says:

On the topic of “flawlessness” in filmmaking:

It’s not a favorite of mine, but ‘Dallas Buyers Club’ strikes me as a film with no obvious weak points–apart from being kinda sorta depressing, I guess.

The acting, direction, casting and camera work are all pitch-perfect. And from a Canadian director, no less!

• Luke says:

“Flawless” for me were Shawshank Redemption & Unforgiven.

I saw UCe mention Swingers, which I agree with as well, and I really want to say Hot Tub Time Machine as well. That was pretty much spot on.

(With a Tip of the Hat to Dredd for simply sticking to the point. No love story, no crafting a subtle subplot of misunderstood youth or all that. Nope. A couple of future cops doing their job… with face-shooting).

And he leaves his helmet on for the entire film… which the Studio’s marketing department must have loved a little less than the target audience did.

• shiram says:

Dredd was awesome, no nonsense, great action and good fidelity to the source material. Too bad they stuck 3d on it though.

And that people have a bad opinion of Dredd based on the Stallone movie of the 90′s.
        The comics were quite entertaining too, a breath of fresh air compared to the DCs and Marvels.

• Cal says:

Shawshank remains one of my favourites of all time. To think a short story by Stephen King called “Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption” could have been stretched so perfectly. It’s too bad Forrest Gump won everything that year because, to me, Shawshank is better in many ways.

• scamorza says:

Shawshank one of my all time favorites

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

• Scott_85 says:

In an effort for most random first post ever, I have to say I mostly agree with you about Dallas Buyers Club, except for the fact that there is a poster of a Lamborghini Aventador in the motel room they rent. This car came out in 2013, and I have no idea how no one making the movie noticed, as most everything else is very 1985.

46. Morenz7 says:

Two big scene-stealers in Apocalypse Now: Robert Duvall and Dennis Hopper. You could throw in Brando, but he was paid so much for so little it doesn’t seem fair to the others..

47. John Q Public says:

Habs’ Desharnais shoots Royal 88 at Montreal.

• JohnBellyful says:

My condolences to the Family. They must be taking it hard.
      [pauses on Submit Comment. Should he? Can always change it later. Or have it deleted. Is it really over the line? Or too outrageous to be taken seriously? Saying it in a bar with a bunch of guys sitting around the table, that's one thing. But here, where it goes out to the websphere ... Unpauses.]

48. Un Canadien errant says:

Martin Short as the agent in “The Big Picture”. He has way too much fun with that.

49. on2ndthought says:

cinemainsideout

best supporting scene stealer? the whole cast of Scorchers: Faye Dunaway, James Earl Jones, Denholm Elliott, Leland Crooke, Emily Lloyd, Jennifer Tilly

“a cannonading drive”

50. DipsyDoodler says:

You may remember Phil Hartman from his roles in Simpsons episodes as Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

51. John Q Public says:

Was always in character.

52. shiram says:

Emilio Estevez showed great character in the Mighty Ducks… right?

53. punkster says:

Scene stealers?

John Candy’s best:

Release the Subbang!!!

54. Luke says:

Though on the small screen:

Peter Weller as Alistair Peck in the Fringe Episode “White Tulip” was, for me, one of the most memorable characters in what was an outstanding series.

(I also nominate Ed-209 from Robocop).

55. Un Canadien errant says:

And before we get sidetracked, here’s another minor character/role in a movie where the actor basically steals the show. I give you Maury Chaykin in “Dances with Wolves”.

56. frontenac1 says:

Bogart. In any film. Take your pick. Best actor of all time.

• Say Ash says:

DeNiro: Godfather II, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Awakenings. That’s range.

• frontenac1 says:

Yup he’s right up there too.

• HardHabits says:

For me it’s Al Pacino. That scene where he’s about to shoot the cop and the mobster in the restaurant in The Godfather. Those eyes darting. More acting going on in those eyes than many an actor can muster in their whole bodies.

• johnnylarue says:

Orson Welles: Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, and most memorably, the voice of Unicron in “Transformers: The Movie”.

• John Q Public says:

Touch of Evil – Good shit.
            1st time I saw it, I didn’t realize it was him till halfway through.

• johnnylarue says:

Touch of Evil is genuinely great, even without the game-changing tracking shot that opens the film.

Charlton Heston as a Mexican (with the help of a conspicuous fake tan…) is, uh… very memorable, for lack of a better word.

• Luke says:

I’ve never seen it, so I’m not familiar with Heston’s Mexican.

Is it at all comparable to Sean Connery’s Egyptian-Spaniard Ramírez from Highlander 1 & 2?

• johnnylarue says:

Actually, not dissimilar, Luke–there’s the same cognitive dissonance at play in both characters, which both Connery and Heston somehow manage to transcend by way of their larger-than-life on-screen moxie.

• JohnBellyful says:

Mustn’t overlook his role in Compulsion. Didn’t appear in the film’s first hour.

• John Q Public says:

Daniel Day-Lewis – There Will Be Blood

• Un Canadien errant says:

Don’t forget “Mad Dog and Glory”, a very underrated film.

Cool story is that Robert De Niro was supposed to play the mobster, and Bill Murray the funny guy policeman, but they convinced the producers to inverse the roles. Apparently De Niro was tired of playing mafia guys, wanted a change. Bill Murray is so awesome as the menacing mafia guy who’s looking for friendship. Both played against type, and it was great to see them going up against each other.

• Phil C says:

They have the African Queen in Key Largo that you can take for a tour, I went last month. They even have the Gin bottle so that the ladies can re-enact pouring out the gin.

But my favorite is Casablanca. The scene after he sees her and the camera is simply on him for several minutes as he drinks his sorrows away. Only a good actor could pull off that kind of scene. It is in contrast to modern movie making that switches cameras every few seconds.

• JohnBellyful says:

I like Bogart.
      But Cagney’s my favourite (Yankee Doodle Dandy, Angels with Dirty Faces, White Heat).
      Also a big fan of Lancaster (Elmer Gantry, The Crimson Pirate, Seven Days in May) and Douglas.
      Most memorable cinematic experience?
      When the talkies came out. Unforgettable.

Now we’re talking. True Romance. Never watched it. Am going to now. Looks and sounds amazing.

If anybody is into sci-fi… this is one sweet list.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It’s not a masterpiece, there are lulls and some parts don’t work, the movie is pretty uneven. But the highs are awesome: Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper’s scene, Brad Pitt’s almost-cameo. Michael Rappaport is always good in anything he does, love that guy. James Gandolfini as a (surprise) mob guy has a couple of scenes in which he does very well.

Quentin Tarantino wrote the script, but tried to disavow the movie, objecting to the way it was interpreted. I can imagine how it might have been much better had he directed.

• johnnylarue says:

“True Romance” to me is like a vanilla version of David Lynch’s “Wild at Heart”… which isn’t exactly a masterpiece either, but at least has enough of that visceral Lynchian weirdness to keep it interesting.

• HardHabits says:

Seriously David Lynch (and Tim Burton too) is so over rated.

• johnnylarue says:

Two films you can’t take away from him: Elephant Man, and Blue Velvet.

For the rest, I’ll happily concede: your mileage may vary.

• HardHabits says:

I’d even add Eraserhead to that list.

• JohnBellyful says:

Yeah, Burton is definitely overrated.
            (So it’s not just me.)

• johnnylarue says:

Agreed. Eraserhead is definitely a classic as well. And while we’re at it, the episodes of Twin Peaks (Season 1) he directed were pretty stellar too–especially in the context of airing as a prime time, mainstream American TV show in the late 80s.

• HardHabits says:

Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 92% Critics – 93% Audience and IMDB gives it an 8.0

Those are solid… and I mean solid numbers. The reviews tell me that this is high on my list of films to watch.

• johnnylarue says:

Definitely a good early-90s time capsule flick, HH. And that minor role stood as the most (if not only) believable performance in the first 20 years of Brad Pitt’s career.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Not trying to talk you out of it, I love that movie. It’s just not flawless in my books, and I don’t want you going in expecting that.

• HardHabits says:

Everything has flaws. Name me one perfect movie and I’ll find you a few blemishes. I would recommend the movie Filth. If only to see James McAvoy’s performance.

Another film I saw recently was the remake of RoboCop. I loved the original and Verhoeven is one of my favourite directors. However the film breaks new ground (as do the two most recent Planet of the Apes films… and I hated Tim Burton’s remake, which sucked harder than his Batman disasters).

See RoboCop if only to see Michael Keaton and Gary Oldman if anything else. Very good movie in its own right.

• Un Canadien errant says:

“The Last of the Mohicans” doesn’t have flaws. “Rob Roy” doesn’t have flaws. “Heat”. “Reservoir Dogs”. “Ronin”. “Full Metal Jacket”. “Swingers.” “Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.” “Glory.” None of these have flaws.

Having said that, I looked at Wiki and am surprised at how positive the reviews are for “True Romance”, maybe some of it is revisionism now that Quentin Tarantino is established, but at the time, I thought the reviews were more mixed. Some viewed it as more of the same, gory violence like in “Reservoir Dogs”, but we saw that as a plus.

• frontenac1 says:

Hopper as Frank Booth in Blue Velvet. One strange hombre.

• johnnylarue says:

One of my all-time faves. Legend has it, Dennis Hopper got a copy of the script and immediately called Lynch saying, “I AM Frank Booth.”

• Cal says:

I’ve seen many listed there. Odd that “A Boy and His Dog” isn’t included, yet others (that weren’t as good, imo) are. Harlon Ellis sci-fi at its oddest. Here’s a quick peek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu9fESAlGc4

• HardHabits says:

I was surprised that Boy and His Dog did not make that list either. However for sci-fi lists it breaks new ground and tends to appreciate the darker movies over the block buster and saccharine ones.

Take for example how Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back is way higher than Star Wars: A New Hope.

• bwoar says:

It’s missing LIFEFORCE (1985).

I have David Desharness beat all to hell!
    My handy cap is much better than that. I shoot about 86 every 9 holes.! Someday I’m going to shoot an 84.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

59. NightRyder says:

I’ve been on holiday. Has there been much witty banter about Vanek and the gambling ring?

60. bwoar says:

Good Guy Dale Weise, bizarrely included in this article about fans trying to grope musicians. Being a Hab makes you a star where ever you go:

61. Un Canadien errant says:

@Dipsy: I also like Louis CK’s agent on Louie.

And speaking of actors who nail it in minor roles, David Lynch kills in “Louie”.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Never realized that was David Lynch. Great scene.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

It took me a long while to twig on to that too. I really like David Lynch, but I’m not used to seeing him in front of the camera.

• johnnylarue says:

Incidentally, Lynch decided to waive his “actor’s fee” when he found out how tiny Louis C.K.’s budget was. Definitely one of the more colourful “off-Hollywood” types to come around in my lifetime.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I do get a sense that a lot of actors will want in on Louis’ show, and do likewise, just for the cred, he’s got something special going on there.

Loved Jerry Seinfeld in the episode “The Model” from this season, acting all exasperated towards Louis, who is clumsy and awkward and doesn’t get it, that it’s a benefit in the Hamptons, and shows up in his shorts. The look on Jerry’s face is so awesome. Some of the comments on the Onion AV Club suggest that he’s great in the role because playing a jerk isn’t far from reality, not really acting at all.

• johnnylarue says:

Yeah, Jerry probably didn’t even realize he was being filmed when that Louie episode was shot.

62. HammerHab says:

First off, I believe Eller and Subban will sign without arbitration. I hope this is the case. I cant remember the exact number but I think it was somewhere around 70% of players who go to arbitration dont sign another contract with that same team.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

63. Phil C says:

Seeing that being hyper-critical is part of what we do around here, what’s with Davey’s swing? Left arm breaking down, hips over rotated, and what’s with the left heel, coming up, who does he think he is, Bobby Jones or Jack Nicklaus? Somewhere, Ben Hogan is shaking his head in disapproval. He’ll never break 80 like this.

64. Un Canadien errant says:

Come on people, on a golf-themed thread, I throw in a reference to Judge Smails from “Caddyshack”, one of the all-time greatest bestest movie characters ever, and give you the darn link to the blasted video I’m referencing so you barely have to lift a finger, and what kind of response does this get? Not a peep.

Disappointed!

In any case, I think this brings us to our first official summer of 2014 non-hockey-related thread, after last year’s pizza discussion, and the summer reading extravaganza.

Declare, discuss and defend your choice for the best minor/weird character in a movie, one that constantly cracks you up even after repeated viewings. Note that we’re not going for anyone purposefully acting that way as a lead in an entire movie, no Robin Williams in “Patch Adams” or Bill Murray in “What About Bob?” (ugh!), but rather an actor in a secondary role who hits it out of the park with a twisted take.

Apply the ‘Serge’ test, as in ‘Bronson Pinchot in “Beverly Hills Cop”‘: Good, and ‘Bronson Pinchot in that horrible TV show he was in that no one ever watched’: Bad.

And just to make it a little harder, let’s make Christopher Walken a no-fly zone, that’s too easy.

But speaking of “True Romance”, I’ll start things off with Brad Pitt in that movie, playing the stoner roommate.

• Cal says:

Um, UCe, next time mention Ted Knight as Judge Smails and a few of the slower ones, myself included, might twig on to it. Classic vid, by the way.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I shouldn’t have to say Ted Knight, Judge Smails is an immortal, in probably the best movie ever made.

• Cal says:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Life of Brian, to me, are far funnier. However, Chevy, Dangerfield, Knight and Murray do kill in that movie.

• HardHabits says:

Caddyshack is one of the best comedies ever. Ted Knight nails Judge Smails. It’s as if the role was written for him. Add to that Rodney Dangerfield as his foil and you have the makings of a movie right there. Now add to that a young Chevy Chase and Bill Murray and it’s more than just a classic. The writing is superb and the delivery rapid fire.

• southaltahab says:

For me that’s easy. Favorite minor character would be Johnny in “Airplane”. But then Airplane is full of funny minor characters.

• Cal says:

“I guess I picked the wrong week to quit jumping out of windows.”

• Un Canadien errant says:

You’re right, there are almost too many to mention. Lloyd Bridges kills me though, with the picture of himself in the background, the sunglasses…

And what about that crazy guy running around the control tower. As a kid, I thought that’s what he was, just wacky. I only figured out recently, when I rewatched with girlfriend, that he was over-the-top flamboyantly gay, something that would have been risqué in the seventies.

• bwoar says:

Brad Pitt? Gary Oldman in True Romance. C’mon!

Mine is: Richard Lee-Sung as The General in Firewalker (1986)

“So gentlemen, we meet again…”

• krob1000 says:

lol…I was going to mention Brad Pitt in True Romance (one of my favourite movies ever!!..only to find that was your choice….the bad guy in that was good too…Drexel.

The entire family in The Fighter …Dickie and the whole fam for that matter

The guy Brad Pitt played in 12 monkeys

Peschi in Good Fellas

Castor Troy and his brother in Faceoff

I also like the butler guy in Mr. Deeds…”I feel you undersetimate the sneakiness…”

Agent Smith in Matrix

There are a ton of these kind of characters in Adam Sandler movies

Nadia, Stiffler, Stiffler’s Mom!!!

• HammerHab says:

John Turturro as Jesus in The Big Lebowski

Nobody F’s with the Jesus

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Cal says:

My best character is Tim the Enchanter from the Grail. Cleese’s performance, all the while scared to death because he was a shift in footing from toppling off a cliff. His delivery is crazy over the top.
      Here he is in all his hornéd splendour:

Of course, the Black Knight is a close second.

• Luke says:

I’m not sure if he counts, and what was a supporting role certainly has grown in impact over the years, but the Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket. (Gunnery Sergeant Hartman)

• Un Canadien errant says:

Another all-time favourite role and movie. I have it on DVD and on my computer, you never know when the mood can strike. Two movies in one.

• krob1000 says:

Willie Mays Hayes and Pedro Cerrano in Major League….always liked that movie…wasn’t as good as I rememberd it when I showed my kids but man I loved that movie when I was younger.

The bad Sheriff guy in the Costner Robin Hood

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Zzzzzzzzzz

• DipsyDoodler says:

OK, how about

Robert De Niro in Brazil.

Willem Dafoe in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

And the best ever,

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross: “Second prize is a set of steak knives.”

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I often bring up De Niro in “Brazil”, two all-time favourites.

And yeah, Alec Baldwin hits it out of the park in Glengarry Glen Ross. I’ve linked to it before on here. Great scene in a great movie.

• krob1000 says:

For anyone with Kids…..”Chuck” in Are we done yet was pretty good.

• GrimJim says:

Local Hero is full of weird minor characters. The Scottish assistant who’s trying to seduce a mermaid; the innkeeper who’s also the town’s accountant, and taxi driver on Sundays; the taxi cab that you only ever see when the main character is trying to cross the road…
      And it has one of the best punch lines in a movie:

-I’ll have a glass of the 42-year-old whiskey, Danny.
      I’m sorry Mr. Mac we’ve left that back at the bar tonight.
      -Okay, I’ll have 4 glasses of 8-year-old and a 10-year-old
      Aye, that’ll work.

65. on2ndthought says:

We’re all Laffing at the announcement about Dubas. He joined the Soo in 2011, here are their point totals:
    2010-2011: 58
    11-12: 64
    12-13 78
    13-14 95, second in OHL
    he’s 28 yrs old. If Nonis is trying to fail for McDavid/Eichel and rebuild, this guy may be a big part of that.

Remember, MB’s best acquisition last summer is almost certainly Waite, a non-player.

“a cannonading drive”

• JohnBellyful says:

What I wanna know is, how soon will some idiot start referring to this guy at Dumbass?

[bites lower lip]

• Cal says:

Laughing about the way Steve Simmons believed this was a “major announcement.” Who cares if he did well at the Soo? It usually doesn’t translate in the NHL.

• JohnBellyful says:

I take it your reaction to the Leaf announcement was: Big deal. Ho hum. Soo what.

• mdp2011 says:

Actually, it is a pretty major announcement. They fired 2 top execs and hired an up and coming executive. That is the equivalent of the Habs firing Dudley and Larry Carriere, and hiring someone new to be assistant to MB. You don’t think that would be major news?

• Cal says:

In the scheme of things, Dudley and Carriere are more important to me than Poulin and Dubas, but no, it’s not “major”. They are supporting cast players, not the ones in the feature roles.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Cal

A lot of time is spent by GM’s managing up – meaning babysitting ownership and reporting to CEOs and CFOs.

They desperately need good hockey people to keep them in the loop about players and to use the contacts they have for information…because Info is King.

The Leafs just took a big step backwards today…unless they fill a void with a good hockey man like the Habs have in both Dudley and underrated Carriere

• Cal says:

@Ronn,
            I understand that Dubas has an intimate knowledge of the OHL. Most of these moves the laffs have done won’t change much. Nonis is already on the clock because of their latest collapse. If they want to hand the reins to Dubas quickly it will be to their detriment, again.

• on2ndthought says:

All I’m saying: sometimes it’s the ‘small’ changes that make a big difference. I hope not, in this case. I want to win a cup before any rivalry with the Leafs is renewed. I still remember ’67 :(

“a cannonading drive”

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agreed that it’s relatively major, a big shakeup in the management structure. Steve Simmons got a heads up from an executive assistant at MLSE or the New Maple Leafs Gardens that something was afoot, and that’s what he reported. I don’t think he blew it, he got it right.

• New says:

I’m with you @mdp. This is the first intelligent decision I can remember the Leafs making in quite awhile. Somehow, as a Canadiens fan, I always just shrugged and thought the Leafs will foul “it” up, whatever “it” happened to be. With Shanahan that might not be prudent thinking from now on.

66. habstrinifan says:

DD comes across as not afraid of a letter. Maybe …just maybe!

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

67. Maritime Ronn says:

Management shake up in Leaf Land

Fired:
    Dave Poulin, who held the title of vice president of hockey operations since 2009, and Claude Loiselle, assistant GM since 2010.
    (Both hired by Burke)

Hired:
    28 year old Kyle Dubas as assistant general manager.
    He was GM of the OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Mr. Dubas was signed to a three-year contract.

Fourty minutes later, Tim Leiweike gave him a five-year extension.

• Maritime Ronn says:

UCE..good one.
        I would put a smiley, but out of respect for a wonderful poster, I will defer…

As a follow-up, here’s wondering if one or both were ‘press leakers’ – an example being the proposed Gorges for Franson deal that went public?

GMMB was absolutely upset, and we know it wasn’t from the Habs org. as they have kept a professional lid on everything since the start of the Bergevin regime.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Good point about the leaks. We routinely point to the Nonis-Dreger connection, but maybe these two were part of the old boys network and gave their media friends some scoops.

I’m perplexed by this hire. His bio on TSN states:

“Dubas, a native of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., is just 28 years old and was a hockey operations assistant, scout and player agent before becoming the youngest GM in OHL history three years ago.”

So by the age of 25 he’d been a scout, player agent and been in management? That’s kind of a hectic, unfocused career path, and makes it a little difficult to assess how he did in those roles.

Then, he spent three years as GM of an OHL team. Yes he took them from the depths of the standings to good results, but isn’t that also the natural cycle for a team? You’re in the dumps, but you trade your vets for youngsters, get good picks in the draft, and two years later you’re a contender, and the teams that were beating on you are now headed downhill.

Kind of bizarre moves with the Leafs this off-season, maybe they’re tanking the front-office too, getting a young GM-to-be to get his feet wet, make mistakes now, and at 31 when he takes over he’ll have some experience.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Maybe he’s been an agent since age 12, like Liz Lemon’s agent on 30 Rock?

—–
            Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

I do not know, nor have never met the young man, yet this has LA ‘Ego Monster’ Tim Leiweke and Shanahan’s signature all over it.

A little search shows that in 2011, he was dubbed
            “Kyle Dubas, the Theo Epstein of the OHL.”
            ——–
            “…Dubas likes the challenge, in no small part because of Andrew Friedman turned the Tampa Bay Rays into a perennial contender in the American League East, a division dominated by the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. A recent book by Jonah Keri, The Extra 2%, chronicles the decisions and progression made by the Rays. “I bought [the book] for our whole staff,” says Dubas. “It was one of the first things I did.”

Does this all mean that the Leafs players must now join the ‘Book of the Month Club?’….yet more importantly, can the Leafs Captain actually read?

• on2ndthought says:

Dave (meet Mr. Chelios’s elbow) Poulin: classy, under-rated, 2 way player. That elbow was the only reason I was OK with losing Chelios.

“a cannonading drive”

• on2ndthought says:

damn! I do that all the time! it was propp that chelios smoked. oh well, they were all just bad guys on that flers team

“a cannonading drive”

68. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from previous thread***

Just a clarification about Thomas Vanek being “put on RW rather than his preferred left wing”: Thomas actually started on RW when he first played for the Canadiens.

I know it’s fashionable to beat on Michel Therrien and blame him for any player underperforming, but in this case the way this went down is very clearly on the record. Michel Therrien explained openly in his presser after the trade that he and Thomas sat down and discussed what he preferred, and he said he liked left wing better. So Michel Therrien after this conversation put him on Tomas Plekanec’s left wing, and he explained that that’s how you make these decisions, with input from the players, but sometimes it’s not always possible to accede to their wishes.

When he didn’t produce there, he just didn’t click, he was moved on to David’s line, but with Max on the left wing already, Tomas had to play right wing. And after a couple games, the line took off.

And again Thomas didn’t sulk about playing right wing. If we accept that he sulked during the playoffs, it wasn’t about LW-RW, it was about not being on David’s line, the #1 line.

Before this meme becomes HIO canon, like “Hal Gill hates Michel Therrien he said so to Dave Stubbs”, a rumour we accept as currency on here, I wanted to stop it in its tracks. Thomas Vanek had an opportunity to play LW right off the bat, but was moved to LW on the #1 line when that didn’t work out. And he preferred it there.

• B says:

It seems like the top scoring wingers want to play with Desharnais. Don’t they read all the stuff on the interweb?

–Go Habs Go!–

• Phil C says:

So in otherwords, after a brief failed experiment, Vanek didn’t get to play where he wanted even though it seemed to work out okay. And he finished the playoffs neither on DD’s line nor playing LW. He was obviously not happy playing with Plekanec based on his interviews citing a lack of chemistry, something you have to assume he communicated to the coaching staff. We don’t have perfect information here as fans, but it’s not that big a stretch to speculate that Vanek was not a happy camper on how he was used, especially at the end.

And Therrien’s explanation of how you take input from players, then make the best decision for the team is another way if saying you’ll play where I damn well tell you to play and you’ll like it. When actions and words are in conflict, I always judge by the actions.

I’m not saying players should get to chose where they play, but when you have a star player that is underperforming while playing out of position and with players that he obviously had no chemistry with, the coach has to take some of the blame.

• Cal says:

Why wasn’t Vanek succeeding with DD and Max, then? The player has to produce on the ice, not just talk.

• Phil C says:

No question the player holds a lot of responsibility. But he also has to be put in a situation to succeed, that is on the coaching staff.

He had success in the regular season and in the first round. I understand why they split them up against Boston, but why were they never put back together? It seems to me that it is tough to win if you are not getting the most out of your best players.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Phil, I have to disagree with your take, you’re putting a very negative spin on what happened. Michel Therrien is right, you can’t always please the player. If a player says he wants power play time, is he automatically entitled to it? What if there are much better options available to the coach?

Having said that, after the trade, Michel Therrien showed an open mind, a willingness to cooperate, and put Thomas on RW, as he wanted. After a four or five game audition that showed it wasn’t clicking, he was moved to the David Desharnais line, on LW. Not what Thomas said he wanted, but after two or three games they took off. And Thomas was happy there, he actually was made unhappy when he was taken off that LW role.

So your interpretation of “you’ll play where I damn well tell you to play and you’ll like it” doesn’t gibe with the evidence. You say you judged someone by his actions, but you’re not doing so in this case. Michel Therrien tried to accommodate him as best he could with the lineup he had, until he couldn’t anymore, in the context of a playoff race. And it turned out that it was in the best interests of the player, he thrived there.

• Phil C says:

“Michel Therrien is right, you can’t always please the player.” I agree with you 100%. My criticism is not that he didn’t please the player, but that in the end when it counted in the playoffs, moving Vanek to RW proved to be a mistake.

Vanek played RW on DD’s line, Pacioretty played LW. Like Ovechkin, Vanek is a RH shot who prefers LW, or like Cole who was a LH shot who preferred RW. It can be very tough on goalies when a player shoots coming down their off wing as they can give the goalie many different angles, and it gives snipers a much better target to shoot at with the puck on their stick in the middle of the ice. With Vanek being a sniper and play-maker, I understand why he prefers LW. Even as an amateur, I hated not playing my normal position on the ice, so I empathise quite a bit with Vanek in this case.

Playmakers also need playmakers with them, players who can think the game like they do, players that have the ability to return or bury your great passes. I think he had that with DD and Pacioretty, but not with anyone else.

Perhaps I’m being too harsh on Therrien and he deserves credit for getting production out of Vanek in the regular season. But for most of the playoffs, Vanek was neither with DD/Pacioretty nor played his familiar position, so Therrien should not get a free pass on it either. My main criticism is that moving an offensive player away from his familiar position is a risky move. When the Habs were having trouble scoring against the Rangers, I would have preferred to see Vanek either back with DD, or on the left, neither of which happened.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I agree that at some point he should have been brought back on the David line during the Rangers series. That line was ineffective against the Bruins, and I understood why it was split up, but once we were past them, my instinct would have been to reunite them, they wouldn’t have been goon targets against the Rangers like they were against Boston.

And it seemed so obvious that he should go back on that line, when it didn’t happen, I started to wonder too, about whether he was injured, or something happened behind the scenes. Man he was playing badly.

I don’t know if we’ll ever learn what happened, but a clue lies in the fact that after the season, Marc Bergevin flatly stated he wouldn’t be back, and it didn’t seem to be a ‘we can’t afford him’ situation, but a clear ‘we don’t want him’ deal. It doesn’t look like the GM, who pulled the trigger on the trade, and his coach were in disagreement about this one.

69. Luke says:

Even DD is obsessed with size…

“Whitey is a big friend of mine,” Desharnais said.

70. Adidess says:

Hi all,

The commentariat on the site is so good, whenever one misses an interesting day/week of discussions, you find out reading through the various threads, that the points you would have contributed were made anyway, most of the time, by one or more people speaking from a perspective similar to yours. It is something I appreciate very much about coming here. When I check in, at whatever moment in the day, often outside of high traffic times during summer, I don’t necessary feel any urge or burden to register my personal views in support or in opposition to something, because I am generally satisfied with how the topic was dealt with. The herd mentality can be pretty strong on the internet, this site manages to find balance on basically every topic, while maintaining camaraderie and courtesy. It’s not said enough, this site is amazing.

With that said, I am not sure why I want to comment further. But please indulge me since I have been away). I am so very proud of how everybody has rallied around Habsgod (John) and his son, Alex. John reported limited progress yesterday, but I want to add my voice to the chorus of good wishes for a full recovery for the little boy.

I’ll also add a thought to the comment Chris made the other day on disparaging soccer and other sports. I don’t know why people feel the need to do this. Comparing sports in terms of what’s better or more exciting is like comparing religion. It is a futile exercise because: 1) You likely don’t have the perspective to assess other religions, since yours is probably the one you know best and with which you have the deepest personal experiences (familiarity or lack thereof creates an inherent bias that often blinds you in the most oblivious way); 2) you’re comparing/grading personal tastes, experiences, feelings and emotions, from your own point of view. That doesn’t work.

When looking at other sporting events, remember you weren’t fed the entire menu of sports growing up, in order to choose your favorite sport. The sports you sat on your dad’s lap to watch and see him go crazy for, the team’s jersey you received on Christmas, the collection of players you grew up following, admiring and wanting to emulate, the venue you were taken to watch a game, all contributed to give you the attachment and passion you currently feel for the sports, teams, players that you like. Those who lived this life-shaping experience with soccer will prefer soccer, those who grew up with cricket will adopt cricket and on it goes. Next time you feel the need to tell somebody how boring their favorite sport is, remember you’re not neutral or fair. You’re looking at it from the perspective of the crazy hockey fan that you are and have always been.

Anyway, what else? I enjoy me some news of DD playing golf, but can somebody please tell me we’re inching closer towards locking up PK and Eller for many years?

• Loop_Garoo says:

Nice read.

Buddhism sucks.

Soccer blows.

• Adidess says:

Hehe, it is totally acceptable to say you don’t enjoy the game. I don’t enjoy watching baseball very much for instance (oops).

What gets on my nerves is stuff like ‘I don’t understand how these fans don’t riot when the game ends with no goal’. Or “why would people travel to Brazil to watch a giant snoozefest”. Well, it’s not a snoozefest for them, which should be obvious :)

• krob1000 says:

In fairness those opinions and the balance on taht topic are what you like when the discussions are about hockey…but you have an issue when people dislike soccer? You too are bias….we all are….but I often hear that the same people in here will not be looking forward to The Habs vs FLA ro the HAbs vs NJ for similar reasons. People also get excited to a ton of other things…but I thought he discussion on soccer, baseball, golf was fine…there was equal amounts of Soccer is better than Baseball or Golf as there was Hockey is better than soccer. I can definitely say that of the people I know who play both…the great majority prefer hockey both to play but especially to watch. Most guys i know who played both hockey and soccer and still play mens league soccer don’t watch any more of the World Cup then I do…they definitely watch way more hockey than soccer.

• Adidess says:

I am biased, of course, and would never claim otherwise. I can’t get into baseball unless it is October. The difference is I recognize this is due to my limited personal interest, but not something so deeply wrong about the game itself (i.e. ‘I don’t care about baseball, so baseball sucks. Why can’t other people see what I see?’).

There was a degree of balance to the discussion of soccer, yes. Which is a tribute to HIO contributors who are mad hockey fans. I was just adding to the balance, alongside Chris and others. Maybe the people in your immediate circle constitute a representative sample of soccer fans, maybe they don’t. But I don’t really need that argument to illustrate the popularity of soccer or any other sports. Thanks for the exchange.

• on2ndthought says:

beat me to it!

“a cannonading drive”

• JohnBellyful says:

3.5 billion people can’t be wrong, can they?
        [I was surprised to see hockey was the third most popular sport in the world, didn’t think it would be that high … wait a minute, that’s field hockey! Okay, maybe 3.5 billion people can be outta their freakin’ minds.)

• krob1000 says:

all about accessibility in the highly populated countries. That is like saying the world prefers eating rice to cheeseburgers because more people eat rice.

• JohnBellyful says:

What I can’t understand is, why isn’t street hockey a bigger sport, a professional sport? Now that’s accessible. There’s got to be hundreds of millions of streets around the world, right? What country doesn’t have one?
            And cheap, gawd, it’s got to be one of the cheapest sports around to play. The gear is minimum and the infrastructure is already paid for by the municipality — and can be used for free!

• krob1000 says:

I can’t remember ever seeing a street soccer game either! Any of the roads in those poorer counrties taht are paved…are extremely, extremely busy

• Adidess says:

You have never seen a street soccer game. OK!

Paved road? You don’t need a paved road for soccer. You don’t even need a soccer ball.

• HardHabits says:

Catholicism is boring. No condoms allowed.

• frontenac1 says:

I am One with My Single Malt.

• frontenac1 says:

I am One with my Whiskey. Hare Krishna amigo.

71. Habfan17 says:

So DD should retire from hockey and go pro at golf! problem solved at centre!

Habfan17

72. Un Canadien errant says:

I think that’s how many points Davey will get next season.