Habs deal Desjardins to Bolts for Ramo

Karri Ramo, new to the Canadiens as of tonight.
Philip MacCallum, Getty Images

Cédrick Desjardins is now a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Canadiens’ fast-becoming unofficial affiliate in Florida, in exchange for Finnish goaltender Karri Ramo.

• The team’s release:

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the acquisition of goaltender Karri Ramo from the Tampa Bay Lightning, in return for netminder Cédrick Desjardins.

Ramo, 24, suited up for 44 games with Omsk in the Kontinental Hockey League in 2009-10, posting a record of 21 wins, 17 losses, 4 overtime losses, a 2.11 goals against average and a .913 save percentage.

He tied for 6th in the league in goals against average, and was also tied for 4th with four shutouts.

A native of Asikkala, Finland, Ramo played in 125 professional
games in North America between the age of 20 and 23. Selected in the
sixth round, 191st overall by Tampa Bay in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft, he
played 48 NHL career regular season games with the Lightning between
2006 and 2009, posting an 11-21-10 record, a 3.35 goals against average
and a .895 save percentage. The 6-foot-2, 201-pound netminder also
participated in 77 games in the American Hockey League with Springfield
and Norfolk.

Cédrick Desjardins joined the Canadiens as a
free agent on July 3, 2008. He played a total of 90 games with the AHL
Hamilton Bulldogs during the past four seasons, posting a 59-27-5
record, a 2.64 goals against average and a .901 save percentage. The
Edmundston, N.B. native also played 67 games with the ECHL Cincinnati
Cyclones, winning the Kelly Cup in 2008.

• Comment via release from Lightning GM Steve Yzerman:

“We are happy to be able to add Cedrick to the Lightning today. With his American Hockey League
experience, he will provide excellent goaltending depth for the
organization, allowing us to be patient while Dustin Tokarski and
Jaroslav Janus further mature and develop.”

1. saskhabfan says:

As usual,nothing but empty threats and insults from a little boy not smart enough to come back with any kind of hockey related rebuttle. Your the only one who thinks i’m a “putz” but everyone else on this site calls you an idiot. So,who is right? The numbers don’t lie. Oh,btw if i’m some sort of “gay stalker” does this make you a pedophile for making luring posts? I think it does. I can only hope you stay away from little kids sites,pedo.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

2. RetroMikey says:

You are far the biggest putz on this site, scared of you?  LMAO!

Grow up you little turd!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

3. saskhabfan says:

As usual,a useless response from a inferior poster. You know i’m right so the best you can do is make a discriminate post and provide nothing of substance.  Thats what internet losers like you do. BTW hamilton isn’t a bad city to live in. I’ve been here for about a month. You talk real big for a little pip squeak. I’m also not gay. I like women way too much. Internet tough guys like yourself are the biggest forms of being a coward.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

4. K-hab25 says:

I agree completely Slovakhab, we clearly got the better player in this deal.

5. habstrinifan says:

Read your take on the trade. The trade puzzles me and, for now, I have no understanding of , explanation for , or opinion on it’s long range purpose. But the fragility of psyche that you implicitly attribute to Price scares even me, and I have posted many times on my suspicions re Price’s reluctance to sign. But geeez if Price (or his agent) saw Desjardins as a threat to his security here in Montreal then he really needs help.

6. habstrinifan says:

I listened to that final game especially because Maxwell and Subban had been sent back to help. It may be blasphemy to Mtl fans what I am about to say next.

I remember the DOGS were taking the play to the Stars with a huge margin in shots on goal and had a two goal (?)lead. Then a funny thing happened. The Dogs game pplan changed. They started to ‘protect’ the lead and different players received more ice time.. Anyone who listened to the game can attest to this. Even the Dogs radio crew commented on the different style of game employed by Guy Boucher. The rest is history.

Which is why I have never commented on us losing Boucher. That game raised questions. Yes, Subban did try too hard to restore the lead and that lead to a goal. But the damage had been done.

If you did not listen to the game do not harangue me as a Boucher hater now. If you did listen to the game you will attest to the observations made by the radio announcers.

7. SlovakHab says:

The leagues are different, for sure.. Even playing for 2 different teams within the same league has an influence on your stats – especially the quality of teammates.

But I am pretty sure NHL is above the AHL and Russian league is no worse then the farm league as well..

The only downside of this deal for me is that Ramo is reportedly committed to the KHL for 1 more season.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Team’s elimination also came on Sanford not doing much of a goaltending job in the two games the Bulldogs had to knock off the Texas Stars. I saw the mistakes of Subban’s play which is why I spent the year arguing on here to leave the kid in the AHL and not bring him up mid-season because I didn’t feel his game was ready yet either. There was also this supposed next great goalie Desjardins getting yanked in the previous series and Sanford taking over because Desjardins was letting the team down. A goalie who can’t play the puck is not a viable NHL goaltender and I doubt anyone here has the stones to argue the point.

You’re of the group that has always argued Halak is a pure winner, why back a guy who couldn’t at 25 keep his job over a career AHL journeyman in the AHL playoffs? This is not Halak 2.0 guys, it was a guy who might be a backup goalie in another year or two and faces very long odds of ever being a NHL starter.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

9. RetroMikey says:

Dude, you need to stop following me around this site all the time when I post comments.

I’m starting to wonder if you are a gay stalker on this site, oh marone!  We got a wild one here!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Halak was also ECHL at a younger age than Desjardins and graduated to the NHL far quicker than he did. Halak was a 9th-rounder breaking ‘the rules’ as it were for expectations from those draftees, Desjardins was an undrafted free agent that performed about as well as you expect an undrafted FA to perform.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. RetroMikey says:

So by watching them play on AHL streams surely you must have seen many defensive lapses by PK Subban as well which led to opposition goals throughput the season and the defensive turnover by Subban in the Iowa Stars playoff game which led to the team’s elimination?

Funny how you never noticed Subban’s  mistakes but pointing your finger at Desjardins mistakes.

We are all human.  It goes both ways.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

12. yathehabsrule says:

I often agree with you on most issues, but…

All goalies hit their peaks at different ages from 20-30.

Halak was also once an ECHL goalie..albeit at a younger age…and shorter than Price.

You are comparing KHL and NHL stats to AHL ones? Three completely different leauges.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

13. HabFanSince72 says:

14. sholi2000.com says:

This trade has zero effect on the Canadiens.  But it’s a break from the usual nothing this summer lol

ANyone on skype?

They Call Me Shane

15. habs03 says:

I don’t think he’ll every been a backup for a playoff team, for example I can see Tampa trading either Ellis or Smith at the deadline and bring Desjardin up for the rest of the year instead of rushing their goalie prospect. I think Ramo is more capable of being an NHL backup, to add his has about 2 years of NHL experience and about 40-50 NHL games played, as opposed to none by Desjardin. The funny thing is there is a strong possibility that neither of them every play an NHL game…

16. Aerobiz says:

Something about this trade makes me very uncomfortable.

Whenever I see a trade like this (lower tier or minor league player) I always wonder about where the impetus for the trade came from.

This isn’t about moving a salary, a problem player or filling a hole.

It’s about one of these teams wanting a player that the other team had.

So I ask, did Tampa want Cedrick or did we want Ramo?

That’s when my stomach gets knotted up.

Stevie Y has been cherry picking this organization with zero visible resistance, and now that he has Boucher at his side do you think that maybe the coach who worked with Cedrick all of last season perhaps put in the suggestion that they might be able to steal a good prospect while the Habs hedge all of their bets on Price? (Rightfully or wrongfully, who knows?)

Did we just get fleeced?

Tampa has much more info on Cedrick than we have on Ramo.

And then consider this: after Price we have Auld, then Sanford, while we wait for Ramo’s KHL contract to expire.

Tums, tums, tums, tums, tummmmmms.

“The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.”- Randy Pausch

17. saskhabfan says:

Whats your point? Had we traded rammo for desjardins instead, you would have bitched and moaned we traded a hard working finnish goalie for a french kid to please the montreal media. Either way your a cry baby.

Leafstv “telling their fans they deserve to win for over 40 years”

18. Mark C says:

You are right, however it was a 2 two span (only played 2 games in year 1). His first semi-full season he played 22 games and had the best numbers out of Smith, Denis, and Holmqvist. The following season Mike Smith took the job from him by out playing Ramo.

19. habs03 says:

High Ranked? up and coming? Have you watched him play, If you a team looking to make the playoffs and Cedric is your back-up, you have a huge problem. Classic case of just looking at numbers and hearing how he was an AHL all star. Desjardin is going to be a career AHL goalie, with maybe a handful of NHL games late in the season. Ramo future isn’t any brighter but lets go go overboard for the sake of it. And Niemi…there is a reason why the Hawks walked away from his 2.75 salary, and there is a reason why no one has signed him.

20. Nina76 says:

winning habit………………..Boy do I agree with you just keep picken away they’ll have the whole team any time soon I don’t understand what the heck is going on………….tell us what the delay is aout Price that would be more interesting

21. The Cat says:

I dont watch the bulldogs, but I remember last year almost everyone here was raving about him, and how he could backup when there was rumours of Halak being shipped, and now Desjardins is traded and a lot are saying hes a career AHLer anyway. So to answer your question I think yes a lot of people thought he was more than an AHL goalie.

22. SlovakHab says:

I disagree with the article.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

And they might have lost the previous series had Desjardins stayed in nets.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. The Cat says:

Yes Im always for cutting youth some slack, he got his chances during a 3 year span though which is more than most would get, TB really believed in him at some point, I remember it well.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

I saw Desjardins play, live and using the AHL streams before those dried up on ATDHE. He was crap playing the puck, pure and simple and had trouble skating back to his net after those flubbed attempts failed. Soft goals were a part of his time in HAM and I remember the Bulldogs having to mount a comeback from being down 4-1 to the Phantoms on a road game because Desjardins crapped the bed in nets and only made the comeback because of a two-goal effort by Subban leading the way and swapping in Sanford at goal.

He was 25, this wasn’t another ‘case of the poor little unnoticed star goalie being made to suffer and persecuted in favour of Carey Price’, he was someone who might be a backup in the NHL one day and be lucky to have the job.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

26. SlovakHab says:

Karri Ramo vs Cedric Desjardins:

Ramo (24) is 1 year younger. Desjardins, a kid according to some people on this site, is 25 years old (in September), still to play a game in the NHL.

Ramo is also a taller guy.

When 23 years old, Desajrdins was an ECHL goalie, while Ramo was an NHL backup.

Ramo’s career SV% numbers in the NHL are .895 (89.5%), Desjardins’ AHL career SV% is .901 (90.1%). 0.6% difference. Moreover, Ramo’s KHL numbers are better than Desjardins’ AHL numbers.

As for hockeysfuture ratings, Ramo was given 7.0C and already graduated from prospect rankings, Desjardins got 6.5C (lower), while still being among prospects, ranked 13th.

27. PeterD says:

Instead of trading away a high ranked future NHL goaltender for an unsigned KHL goalie that we don’t know if he will ever come back to the NHL an dif he does at what cost…he will probably cost a relatively high cap hit and not be too happy heading to he AHL next year…so what did we get back??

If I’m Pierre G. and of course I am not, at this point I would have gone after Niemi or another starter goalie and sent Carey Price and his agent a message that they do not have arbitration rights and Carey does not have the performance record to demand too much from an organization that has publicly stated he is the future in Hab town.  If they don’t want to sign NOW, then it’s time to sit and watch hockey on TV for a season.

By trading away our number one up and coming goaltender we have potentally put the big team at serious risk if either of our starting goalies goes down with an injury…what happens if we lose Auld or price to a knee injury or serious groin pull at some point in the season…who do you call up?  Certainly not Ramo who is comfortably playing away in the KHL…with limited cap space what do we do to get someone off the open

This is a very strange move on Gauthiers part…of course with all the Tampa moves with Montreal….maybe Yzerman has photos of Gauthier in a bad position…

28. The Cat says:

Yes Ill give you that one, he certainly wasn’t brought in or developed properly. And goalies certainly went there to die lol Hope it doesnt linger with him like it did Marc Denis.

29. Bill J says:

What was your first hint ? lol

Lecavalier ?

St.Louis ?

Surely not Guy Boucher or Julien BriseBois ?

Desjardins now…

30. Mark C says:

He got his first shot in TB at 21. I think it’s worth cutting him some slack.

31. Mark C says:

I agree this is pretty much a sideways move, with an eye towards next year. Desjardins has been in a spit situation the last two seasons in Ham., and has pretty much had the same numbers and Marc Denis and Curtis Sanford. Desjardins seems headed towards a back-up role in the NHL, at best. I think Ramo has a slightly higher upside compared to Desjardin. All and all, Montreal traded their 4th, or 3rd string goalie for a player with a little more upside to replace Auld next season.

I wonder if Chester Rockstrom had anything to do with this trade.

32. The Cat says:

His numbers are decent,,, ”in 90 career AHL games, recording a 49-27-5 record, 2.34 goals-against average and a .909 save percentage.’

33. RetroMikey says:

I disagree, not from what I have seen and others will attest to that who have seen himn play from the getgo.

Don’t know here you get your facts from perhaps surfing the net on Desjardins or reading too many of those hockey prospects magazines out there,  but he was a solid goalie in Hamilton and was getting better.

Funny how you criticize a guy like Desjardins when he is traded to another team.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

34. avatar_58 says:

Doesn’t change the fact that 2 epic stinkers cost them important games. They COULD have won that series

35. christophor says:

his W-L record isn’t that good, so his sv% looks a little better if accomplished in outmatched efforts.

whatever, i dont think it matters much.

i dont think anyone will get lucky with cedrick. maybe with ramo. the trade’s for a long shot and the price was a bit of reprimanding by the press.

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Ramo was also a kid thrust into a goaltending job on a team strapped for cash and lacking depth. 6th-round pick trying to make good at the same age Price first started tending goal for the Habs, but lacking Price’s great natural talent and accomplishments.

Ramo’s not as good Price of course, but he got the same job at the same age and I doubt much of a support system, playing under Barry Melrose and Rick Tocchet… I’m not saying he’s going to be great but he kind of got a stiff shaft in proper player development.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

37. habs03 says:

Ramo isn’t anything more than a backup goalie, I’m pretty sure he know that too, but as to come here as opposed to staying in the NHL, its a question of money, I think he would come here now but just not to the AHL. Does anyone who watch the Bulldogs really think Desjardin will ever be more than an AHL goalie, some people seem to complain for the sake of it..(just talking in general).

38. The Cat says:

When you consider TB’s goaltending woes after Khabibulin left, Ramo was given more than ample chances and couldnt capitalize, I have doubts. He did well in the KHL but they dont score there, so you got to be a particularly bad goalie to not have a .900 sv pct or better.

39. SeriousFan09 says:

Desjardins was losing the playoffs for them before Boucher switched him for Sanford.

Dogs lost because Subban was with the Canadiens and the Texas Stars put a bloody ringer into the playoffs (Jamie Benn didn’t play ONE AHL game until the AHL playoffs than suddenly popped up on their roster. Injuries to Mathieu Carle, Yannick Weber and Max Pacioretty hardly made things better to the point where they were only available for the final game of the season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

40. avatar_58 says:

So then what – a Price/Halak combo again? Is Ramo going to enjoy being a backup over the KHL?

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Nice of you to paint the Finns with such a broad brush. I know you love the Bulldogs Mikey but pull off the goggles, he got yanked in the playoffs for playing poorly and he wasn’t exactly lights-out brilliant all the time during regular season either, a supreme Boucher defensive system and P.K. Subban helped his numbers a bit I’d say.

Desjardins had a 25% chance of ever being the backup for the Canadiens. He had consistency issues, wasn’t a good skater and was a nightmare when it came to playing the puck.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. christophor says:

seen desjardins play quite a few times last year. more the product of a good team. nothing special. technically weak even. horrendous with the puck. but i did like the guy. and he did what he needed to.

the worst ramo could be is a bigger cedrick. i read he has technical issues as well, though is very athletic, if the internet speaks the truth. maybe his unsuccessful stint in the nhl did him some good (if his recent khl numbers mean anything – so far adam has the best comment in this discussion).

trade a career ahl-er for a guy who looks more likely to get better? why not. cedrick might get a crack at the nhl but who knows. i don’t really see how it matters outside tomorrow morning’s tabloids.

43. habs03 says:

Its a sideway move which I kinda like, Desjardin is a good AHL player, nothing more, he might be able to play a few NHL games late in the season when games don’t count but that is it. And btw Ramo is a better goalie than Desjardin, the issue with Ramo was that he didn’t want to play in the AHL, and so he went to the KHL. I think this move is for next year, I think Ramo has one year left on his contract in the KHL, and maybe next year he will replace Auld as the backup, which he is more capable of doing so than Desjardin.

44. JasonM says:

What is going on? Why? He was doing well, wasn’t he?

45. yathehabsrule says:

So much for Stubbs call early this morning that it was a slow day, eh?

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

46. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s on a two-year deal with the KHL and entering year 2 now, but KHL contracts have been broken (See Alex Avtsin) and Ramo is not Russian so it’s not a home country factor either. His pro rights go to MTL now so if he wants to play in the NHL/AHL he’s ours and I imagine he’d favour the NHL over the KHL given the choice.

I would expect G Robert Mayer to step up in the organization and get a job in Hamilton with this move.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. avatar_58 says:

This move has zero to do with the NHL. Both AHL-grade goalie. All this did was weaken the bulldogs and trade away a potential future goaltender.

48. avatar_58 says:

Jesus god in heaven no….he lost them the cup

49. yathehabsrule says:

A move to secure the birthday boy.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

50. habs_1993 says:

umm…..y did we do this trade?

51. RetroMikey says:

We get a Vesa Toskala clone and trade a very good French Canadian kid.

I don’t get it.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

52. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hmm..possible. Definitely possible.

Well, that clarifies things a lot! I was really confused…Thanks bud.

53. MTLForever says:

Safe to say that Curtis will start for the Dogs

54. avatar_58 says:

I don’t understand this move at all

55. sidhu says:

Is Ramo even going to play in North America this year — or will he play in the KHL like he did last season?  In other words, did we just trade for his “rights” rather than assurance that he will play in our organization?

This move does not make sense to me — seems that Cedrick was playing well in the A.  Boucher knows what he’s doing in asking for Cedrick, this should have triggered some red flags and made us ask for more.

56. yathehabsrule says:

They have been on here for a while

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

57. SeriousFan09 says:

Ramo is about to enter the second and final year of his KHL contract according to Twitter, with that in mind one might except G Robert Mayer who backstopped the Cincinnatti Cyclones to their Kelly Cup Championship in the ECHL to join the Bulldogs this coming season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

58. a winning habit says:

We need st start calling Tampa – Montreal South……

59. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

rather have Desjardins. Confusing move.

60. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Can someone please send a memo to Stevie Y explaining that there are 28 other teams in the league he is allowed to do deals with.  Someone must have broke into his office and ripped all the numbers out of the rolodex so when Stevie opens it the only number he see’s is PG’s.

61. yathehabsrule says:

My take on the trade. Keep in mind it’s a bit of raw reaction.

Ya! The Habs Rule! now on Twitter!

62. habs11s says:

They were obviously too busy posting another video about the leafs NOT trading someone to spell check the article

63. RiverviewCanadien says:

So just a straight up swap? Why? Desjardins was pretty good, no?

Why is this team helping improve the Lightning?

64. slapshot777 says:

That’s about what I would expect from TSN.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

65. HFX-HabFan says:

The TSN story on the deal says “Candiens, Lightning swap goaltenders”.

“Candiens”?  Seriously?

66. habs11s says:

“Let’s make a trade, your up-and-coming goalie for these magic beans” -Stevie Y

“Deal” -PG

67. slapshot777 says:

Either way it’s only a swap of AHL goalies. It’s not like they will be starting in the NHL in the near future.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

68. Gotta Wear Shades says:

A head scratcher for sure… with CD with another year left on his contract too!

69. HFX-HabFan says:

Carey and Karri!

All I know about Ramo is that his old mask in Tampa depicted a brain cracking out on its top.

70. habs001 says:

no goalie in the world can play 60 games for the habs if the d plays like it did last year…game after game dominated in our zone…blocking shots yes but tons of weird bounces…tons of scoring chances given up..playing goal for the habs last year would have been mentally and physically exhausting..