Habs deal Cole to Stars for Ryder

ryder

Out of the fog and back to Montreal comes Michael Ryder.
Ronald Martinez, Getty Images

The Canadiens have traded forward Erik Cole to the Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder, who returns to Montreal, and a third-round draft pick this year.

To say that the deal is a stunner would be to understate the truth. It is also the first trade for new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin.

“He was shocked, but it’s a place where he’s been and where he’s had success,” Bergevin said on a conference call Tuesday night. “He loves the city of Montreal. I told him we’re extremely happy to have him. He brings an asset to our team that I felt we could use – he’s already had success this year and last year in Dallas. He was surprised but happy.”

Bergevin added that “there’s a very good possibility” Ryder will be in the lineup Wednesday night when the Canadiens visit the Toronto Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) and that he would help the team’s power play. The Canadiens rank 10th in the NHL on the power play with an 18.9 per cent success rate.

In 19 games this season with the Stars, Ryder posted 6-8-14 totals and was plus-4. A UFA at season’s end, Ryder is earning $3.5 million this season. Ryder is on a six-game point streak with two goals and seven assists in his last six games. His 14 points are the same as Canadiens team leader Max Pacioretty, who has 4-10-14 totals in 15 games.

“He’s a sniper, he won the Stanley Cup in Boston and he understands the market in Montreal,” Bergevin said.

The GM added: “Nothing against Erik (Cole), but (Ryder) helps us in areas we need right away.”

Bergevin also said that Cole’s comments before training camp about a possible early retirement didn’t factor in his decision to make the trade.

Cole, 34, who signed with the Canadiens before last season as an unrestricted free agent for four years and $18 million, was the Canadiens’ leading goal-scorer last season with 35, a career high. He played on the top line with Max Pacioretty and centre David Desharnais. He had three goals and three assists in 19 games this season.

Ryder, 32, was chosen by the Habs 216th overall, in the eighth round, of the 1998 draft. He eventually fell out of favour with the team, a healthy scratch for much of the 2008 playoffs. He signed for three seasons with the Boston Bruins before moving on to the Stars, where he scored 35 goals last season.

“Erik Cole is a top-six, power forward who skates well, adds size, and is under contract for the next two years,” Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said on the team’s website. “We thank Michael Ryder for his contributions and look forward to what Erik will bring to our group.”

Bergevin said that he is always looking to make the Canadiens better and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on this deal despite the fact the Canadiens are in first place in the Eastern Conference.

“We’re happy to have him,” Bergevin said of Ryder. “He brings an asset to our team we can use. We don’t make trades on stats alone, but that was definitely a big plus. He’s already had success this year.”

Canadiens trade Cole to Stars for Ryder, by Dave Stubbs

Ryder has had great NHL career for an eighth-round draft pick, by Stu Cowan

Habs’ Bourque sidelined by a concussion, by Pat Hickey

1,801 Comments

1. 25insight says:

What will everyone be drinking for tonight’s game? Most comprehensive list of favorite alcohol wins.

GO!

2. boing007 says:

Ryder on the storm …

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

3. Habitant in Surrey says:

…someone put a tarp over Jimmy until He sobers up

4. Habitant in Surrey says:

@GrosBill

…though I’m drumming up support to retire Toe Blake’s # 6, I personally believe a number and name on a honored banner should be enough …I would prefer the numbers continued to be used

…unless there is an exceptional exceptional case that could be made, for instance, for a Maurice Richard or a Jean Beliveau, whom transcended the exceptional

Except for numbers 4 and 9, the others should be available

5. Habfan10912 says:

I think only Frontenac can save little Jimmy.

———————————–

6. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Roy, I was only in Amarillo for a couple days after staying at a relatives ranch in Oklahoma …I’ve never experienced such searing humid heat in My life

7. Old Bald Bird says:

I think the Habs win tonight. They just need to skate and play a disciplined game. They’ve done well enough against the thuggish beaners in recent year when they stick to their style. That’s saying something as the beaners are a very good team.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Frontenac got Jimmy skunked

9. Chuck says:

Save Jimmy! Then save Ferris!

___________________________________________________

10. Chuck says:

1821.

___________________________________________________

11. New says:

I am glad to see Ryder back. I hope Cole does well in Dallas and that the place suits him. Carbo should have a joke or two tonite.

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hey Front, who bailed You out Amigo ?

13. Coach K says:

I liked Cole but can’t argue over the logic of this move.
    The only downside to this deal I can see is that Ryder is essentially a perimeter player and we will likely miss the sandpaper that Cole brought when he was playing up to his potential.

That said, Cole’s value will never be higher than it is right now and given his age, would likely have continued to drop had his productivity not turned around as the season wore on. By trading him now you get maximum return value and little risk in terms of tying up cap space for 2 or 3 years down the road. All in all, a brilliant business and hockey move.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

14. Habitant in Surrey says:

…1700 ???

15. Sportfan says:

So Ryder is 73 again and Gally goes to 11 I feel bad for all the people who spent money on Gally 73

Question who was the last guy over 6 feet to wear 11?

16. habsfan0 says:

If Ryder scores tonight, it will be his 100th goal as a Hab.

Ryder has landed.

17. Habitant in Surrey says:

…or Guerrero if Mayweather is busy

…he is Mexican though, so Gallagher is going to have to give up 11

18. The Jackal says:

Was reading on my phone, accidentally read some comments by nuna and now I feel stupider.

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…let’s sign Mayweather !

20. Propwash says:

For Little Jimmy!

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

21. habs-fan-84 says:

….so..about that game tonight…

The team should be focused tonight. No way they don’t show up for this one. Lets hope the boys embarrass the Leafs and Leaf nation at home tonight. As a habs fan living in the GTA it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I have to think some of the younger guys may have been surprised at just how quickly things can change in this business after watching Cole get traded just like that. Lets hope it lights a fire under their asses tonight!

GO HABS GO

22. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a number 11 that can score !

…it has been awhile

23. Habitant in Surrey says:

…wasn’t Parros beaten up recently by some other cement head ? …in Parros’ case, an Ivy League cement head

…if We are gonna get a cement head, I’d prefer an UNDEFEATED cement head

24. Rad says:

I think Therrien will first try Ryder on a line with Lars Eller and Alex Galchenyuk.

25. kirbhabs says:

Poor Gally, going to have to change his # twice… after koivu is brought back that is :)

26. hockeyscout101 says:

So for Toronto-Brown in, Orr in, McLaren in, and Fraser in. So who does Toronto take out now? You do realize that the Leafs will murder Montreal tonight unless Prust fights Orr on the opening faceoff or first shift to calm the storm. I expect Moen and White to fight as well. But I am honestly disappointed that Montreal didn’t do anything yet in the HW department.

They had interest in Parros from Florida before he signed…maybe that is an option via trade down the road. Cap hit is friendly. Shane O’Brien from Colorado is an option as well, cap hit not friendly however, montreal likes Patrick Bordeleau who is in Colorado-Local boy who is tough at 6’5 but a bit underweight at about 205-210 pounds, but I know the Avs have invested time and effort into developing this kid.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I wouldn’t want to be Moen if he takes the night off like he did in the last Leafs game…

• 2mins4lookinsooogood says:

You dress guys that play less than 10 minutes a game, you play right in to Carlyle’s hands.

Roll four lines, forecheck, and let Toronto take penalties when their 4th line is on ice.

The Habs were guilty of starting the BS in the last game by responding to noise …

“Don’t crush that dwarf Alex Henry, hand me the pliers”

• hockeyscout101 says:

From what I know from people close to Prust, is that he wants to fight Orr and if Orr refuses that is fine. But look for Prust to challenge him. Prust has fought John Scott before, so he is not afraid. I predict:

Prust vs Orr-within the first 5 mins
        Moen vs Brown-Same weight class
        White vs Fraser
        And maybe Prust vs McLaren

• Chuck says:

Agreed!

___________________________________________________

• HabFanSince72 says:

Brque is already out thanks to a Colton Orr punch. Why risk losing Prust as well?

27. Habitant in Surrey says:

…I think they found Jimmy laying next to Frontenac …something about Front being arrested for inducing a minor to drink

28. punkster says:

It’s mid term time again and students are hard at work with their seasonal activities of studying, cramming, and protesting for a better tomorrow.

The overriding question remains…does little Jimmy have his new protective head gear yet?

It’s time for us to do our part by cranking up the comments here to 2000.

Do it for Little Jimmy.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

29. Habitforming says:

Since Ryderland has been beaten to death by now…. how about a few bold predictions for tonights game?

I’ll say 4-1 Habs (Ryder doesn’t score)

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…have We reached 1600 yet ???

God forbid Cole scores before Ryder. Can you image this place?

32. Habitant in Surrey says:

Bulletin: …Frontenac found unconscious behind curtain at Canadian Curling Hall Of Fame Induction !

33. Habitant in Surrey says:

Mayweather to fight Guerrero May 4th !

34. Bripro says:

It looks like Leafs’ fans will have to thank Grabovsky for giving new meaning to the expression:
    “Leafs bite the big one!”

35. bwoar says:

I am still thrilled. Driving the Bergevin Express right now. Since I have nothing else to add, and my views on Cole have been expressed more than enough, I’ll admit I’d rather have an everlovin’ Bonavista boy than an American. I know, it’s kinda silly, but I can’t help wanting the Canadiens to have more Canadians than, say, the Boston Bruins.

Lucky Cole, won’t have to pay those nasty Quebec taxes anymore. It’s always been about the money for this guy.

“gratuitous cheapshot”

Toronto will try and slow us down with their size.
    We must keep our feet moving and stay our of the box. No biting! Just put the puck in the net.!

Ryder will score tonight! Not sure which of the top 2 lines he will play on.??

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

…snow in Amarillo ??? …You must be ribbin’

…it’s the place I was when Elvis died !

…I’ve been all over this amazing Earth, from the Mojave to the Sahara ,,,and I’ve NEVER been in a hotter sweatbox than Amarillo Texas

• Bripro says:

They got 50 cm of snow yesterday compounded by 120 km/hr winds.
      That far down, I wonder if they’ll blame it on Canada.
      So Ryder is leaving the Arctic cold of Texas for the balmy tropical weather of Montreal. Lucky lad.

• shootdapuck says:

Chris, Got to reckon that a few spots along the Arizona – Mexico Border are just a tad hotter ie Yuma.

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

38. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Anheuser Busch is getting sued in the US for watering down their beer…now they’ve figured that out?…Canadians have been telling them that for years…

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

Ok, let’s get this mother to 2000 !!!

…even if We’ve repeated the same opinions by a quadratic expression factored to infinity :)

40. adamkennelly says:

As much as I like the idea of targeting their skilled players – that is a battle our team will not win. Habs should have addressed their lack of true HW before this game – Prust is too valuable to be fighting Orr, McLaren or Fraser and could easily get hurt. Lets not forget that we lost both games to the Leafs this year and got beat up and injured – so its not just about the scraps for all you anti- fighting fans. For this game, have White go after Dion – force him to fight and see what happens.

41. habsfan0 says:

Ryder officially playing tonight.
    Anything less than a hat trick from him,and I won’t be happy.

42. lavie says:

I was wrong. Now Ryder wears #73 and Gally wears #11.

43. Habitant in Surrey says:

@Bripro

…not crying for them Brian …no matter the money, They’re still human dealing with innumerable loose ends quite a distance away …it’s bound to seriously distract Them for a period of time

…especially a season like this one, where there is zero time to getaway a few days to properly wind things up

• Bripro says:

Chris.
      No question that morally, it can’t be easy for their families.
      But given their lifestyle, I would trade up in an instant if I thought that I could earn in a year what will take the average North American citizen more than a lifetime to earn.
      If they want stability, do like Ken Dryden.

44. The Dude says:

MB got our minds brilliantly away with this trade from tonight’s BEAT-DOWN….it’s a 20 year bad dream :sad:

45. Hobie Hansen says:

There’s a lot of talk, or I thought there was, about how great the UFA crop is this year. Taking a look, I don’t see a heck of a lot that jumps out at me? A lot of older players who i wouldn’t want to sign.

This is about all is I like:

Forwards
    Getzlaf, Ryan » C ANA 27 $5,325,000 2013 (UFA)
    Perry, Corey » R ANA 27 $5,325,000 2013 (UFA)
    ###edit### Clarkson, David » R NJD 28 $2,666,667 2013 (UFA)
    Horton, Nathan » R BOS 27 $4,000,000 2013 (UFA)
    Clowe, Ryane » L SJS 30 $3,625,000 2013 (UFA)

Defense
    Murray, Douglas D SJS 32 $2,500,000 2013 (UFA)
    O’Byrne, Ryan D COL 28 $1,800,000 2013 (UFA)

46. La Duke 16 says:

So what are the new lines going to look like??

47. DorvalTony says:

Cole had to go because of his terrible start, his (twice) musing about retirement and his reprehensible comments about Roman Hamrlik and the right to express a free opinion regarding the lockout and CBA.

Three strikes.

48. Dr.Rex says:

Why MB deserves credit for this move.
    a) Saves 2 tears of COle’s salary which many here were worried about.
    b) We really needed a right handed shot on the PP.
    c) Saves 1 million prorated this year.
    d) Cole was not happy with alot of aspects of MOntreal life. This included taxes, family changes, pressure, media and constant change.
    e) Last game showed we need to be able to finish chances better. IF Ryder is a one dimensional player then it is in this area.
    f) COle had clearly either lost a step or lost some passion.

Good luck Erik. BUt after careful consideration I approve of this trade.

49. wd40 says:

Ryder was part of that historic comeback against the Rangers. Glad to see him back.

• Strummer says:

He was also part of the epic collapse in the last game of the 06-07 season where Habs were eliminated.

Though he did get a hat-trick that game.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Dr.Rex says:

My bad memory of Ryder is when he failed to dump the puck in at the blue line in OT in game 6 against Carolina in 2006. This led to Stillman’s winning goal which was aided by Craig Rivet.