Habs deal Cole to Stars for Ryder

ryder

Out of the fog and back to Montreal comes Michael Ryder.
Ronald Martinez, Getty Images

The Canadiens have traded forward Erik Cole to the Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder, who returns to Montreal, and a third-round draft pick this year.

To say that the deal is a stunner would be to understate the truth. It is also the first trade for new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin.

“He was shocked, but it’s a place where he’s been and where he’s had success,” Bergevin said on a conference call Tuesday night. “He loves the city of Montreal. I told him we’re extremely happy to have him. He brings an asset to our team that I felt we could use – he’s already had success this year and last year in Dallas. He was surprised but happy.”

Bergevin added that “there’s a very good possibility” Ryder will be in the lineup Wednesday night when the Canadiens visit the Toronto Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) and that he would help the team’s power play. The Canadiens rank 10th in the NHL on the power play with an 18.9 per cent success rate.

In 19 games this season with the Stars, Ryder posted 6-8-14 totals and was plus-4. A UFA at season’s end, Ryder is earning $3.5 million this season. Ryder is on a six-game point streak with two goals and seven assists in his last six games. His 14 points are the same as Canadiens team leader Max Pacioretty, who has 4-10-14 totals in 15 games.

“He’s a sniper, he won the Stanley Cup in Boston and he understands the market in Montreal,” Bergevin said.

The GM added: “Nothing against Erik (Cole), but (Ryder) helps us in areas we need right away.”

Bergevin also said that Cole’s comments before training camp about a possible early retirement didn’t factor in his decision to make the trade.

Cole, 34, who signed with the Canadiens before last season as an unrestricted free agent for four years and $18 million, was the Canadiens’ leading goal-scorer last season with 35, a career high. He played on the top line with Max Pacioretty and centre David Desharnais. He had three goals and three assists in 19 games this season.

Ryder, 32, was chosen by the Habs 216th overall, in the eighth round, of the 1998 draft. He eventually fell out of favour with the team, a healthy scratch for much of the 2008 playoffs. He signed for three seasons with the Boston Bruins before moving on to the Stars, where he scored 35 goals last season.

“Erik Cole is a top-six, power forward who skates well, adds size, and is under contract for the next two years,” Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said on the team’s website. “We thank Michael Ryder for his contributions and look forward to what Erik will bring to our group.”

Bergevin said that he is always looking to make the Canadiens better and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on this deal despite the fact the Canadiens are in first place in the Eastern Conference.

“We’re happy to have him,” Bergevin said of Ryder. “He brings an asset to our team we can use. We don’t make trades on stats alone, but that was definitely a big plus. He’s already had success this year.”

Canadiens trade Cole to Stars for Ryder, by Dave Stubbs

Ryder has had great NHL career for an eighth-round draft pick, by Stu Cowan

Habs’ Bourque sidelined by a concussion, by Pat Hickey

1,801 Comments

1. Mattyleg says:

Okay, I have a ton of work to do today, and wasn’t going to open the computer, but that TSN!

Craig “I’m an insufferable idiot who considers himself an ‘insider’ but has never said anything intelligent or insightful about hockey” Button says that one of the reasons that Cole left was “a possible conflict with PK Subban.”

What is this clown talking about?! Is Button so desperate to get lip-service that he has to drag Subban’s name into everything Habs-related? This completely proves, to me, that he is an absolutely clueless hack whose knowledge of the Montreal Canadiens extends as far as ‘that troublemaker Subban’, who must needs be part of any discussion of the team.

Oh man, that pissed me off. Normally I don’t pay that moron any attention at all, but when he has the ultimate word on TSN’s morning news, it gets my goat.

Whew.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. rhino514 says:

The Bourque fallout is indeed troublesome. He is expected to placed on IR. This means he is probably out for a while, no?
    I also fear that when he does come back, he will be tentative, which is murder for a guy like him.
    They have absolutely NO ONE to play on left wing. Whoever plays there will be playing out of position (as Bourque was, ironically enough)
    The team overall is deep, but this injury happened in the one area they don´t have an adequate replacement.
    Does anyone know if Ryder can play LW?

3. AceMagnum says:

Ryder got robbed for rookie of the year by that sieve Raycroft! Who was the other guy? Oh yeah Trent Hunter. Shoot, that was a pathetic crop that year

With both Bourque and Cole gone on the Right Wing, I believe we will see Ryder producing in the lineup tonight.

Great move by Bergevin, we got rid of a heavy two year contract and a player who was not happy under the new regime.
    We save a million of cap space and get a player who should have never been dumped over board because of Carbo in the first place.
    We get a 3rd round pick and a player who wants to be here.

Bergevin just might be the second coming of Sammy Pollack! He has done a great job for us in a very short time!!

5. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Which pro scout would you trust most: Rick Dudley or Bob Gainey?

6. commandant says:

Max V with his roundup of the news in Essential Hockey.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

7. Lafleurguy says:

Poll question: who is going to score Habs’ first goal against the Leafs this season? (same question was asked January 19th)

8. TorontoHabsFan says:

Looking at Capgeek just now and I’m thinking that there’s a strong likelihood we’ll see at least one of Beaulieu and Tinordi on the team next year. Three spots will likely be opened on the back end (Kaberle, Bouillon, Weber)…but more importantly, the year after that the only defenceman under contract will be Gorges.

Next year will be the time to see what we have with our defensive prospects.

9. adamkennelly says:

I guarantee Cole asked for this. Why on Earth would there have been rumblings about moving him when he clearly exceeded expectations in the first year of his deal? He started slow but you don’t give up on him this early, especially after he was injured in the offseason. Cole wanted out for whatever reason, and MTL gave him the financial incentive to go. Texas has no state tax – probably equates to a 20% pay increase for him going to Dallas. Great trade for MTL either way – the cap space these days is almost as valuable as a 35 goal scorer.

• 24 Cups says:

Straight up, I don’t think many would feel that Ryder is more valuable than Cole (contracts aside). The good news about Ryder is that he is coming up on his last chance to hit paydirt. He’s an UFA who is under 35. He had a great season last year and is off to a solid start so far in 2013. My guess is he will bust his ass big time during these last 28 games so he can grab the brass ring one more time.

10. FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Moving to the States for a better education? Dallas, Texas to boot? Only an American would find this to be a good idea.

On top of that, his hometown is only a few hours from Montréal.

I don’t know what his actual reason is if he did want a trade, but he has looked not only bad this year but downright miserable. Bye!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Nobody with money sends their kids to public schools here or in the States so the education argument never makes sense to me.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Yeah, I would say your probably right about that. But I’d keep my rich kids as far away from the Mexican border as possible!

I’m sure they’ll be safe, but having traveled all of this country and eastern Canada, I can say there are few places better to live than Montréal for the average person (I’d only prefer to live in Québec City, hopefully within 2 years). I could understand people taking a liking Boston, NYC, Seattle, Portland, San Fran… but yep that about does it

• Rugger says:

Dallas is one heck of a long way from the Mexican border.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

I’m being perhaps too hyperbolic, but its not a nice place by all accounts. I wouldn’t want to live there under any circumstance.

And I couldn’t think of a more devastating move personally, to go from MTL to Dallas. Yikes. But he OK’d it. Good luck to him.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Depends on the age of the kids I guess. Dallas’s suburbs are very nice. One thing about the US. It is normal there for their kids to go far away to college. I find here most stay within province.

• Chrisadiens says:

Dallas is actually a really nice city. It’s small like Montreal, and as DDO said the burbs are amazing. Everything in the burbs is brand new, the shops, the developments. Shiny new and clean. Now the weather on the other hand, ugh, way too hot for me.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

Suburbs… great. If you think shiny new developments in suburbs are a good or appealing thing, then we’re in completely different mindframes. Frankly suburban sprawl is key to the plethora of things wrong with this country.

• HABSsince92 says:

Hey Nick what about our hometown of WNY/Buffalo/Niagara Falls lol?

___________________________________________________

PK please sign.

• habsnyc says:

You have to be joking. Have you ever been to Dallas? The athletic facilities at the typical TX high school are better than those of any college campus in Canada. There are 10 times as many private schools in Dallas as in Montreal. For an American, Dallas is way better than Montreal.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

There is nothing better about the quality of life in Dallas than Montreal. Absolutely no ranking or statistic would agree with that, nor would the majority of people. Why the hell do I care how much money they waste on sports facilities while the streets run rampant with violence and drugs?
        And the education system itself… do you know what Texas education is like?

11. icemachine says:

Will wait and see hoe this pans out, but I’m pretty skeptical of it being a good trade.

Cole may not have been having great success, but we will miss his ability to carry a puck deep into the zone and get it to the front of the net.

Perhaps Cole wasn’t playing as much of the team defence that MT wants, but Ryder fell out of favour the first time round for being a lollygagger too

12. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

From Dallas’s perspective Cole is young considering they signed Jagr and Whitney… :)

13. Habsrule1 says:

I hear all this talk about getting softer, but I did not really see Cole hitting all that much. When he had success, he went to the net and got a lot of rebounds, but he wasn’t really the toughest guy, was he?

I really liked Cole, but when you step back and think about the $4.5M off the books for next year, MB can decide who he signs to make this team better going forward.

Go Habs Go!!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Forget hitting, how about fighting? One I think…

• Cal says:

It takes toughness to go to the net and stay there while the Dman is hacking and slashing at you. Ryder won’t do that. He’s a perimeter player.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

True…suspect MB has something else “cooking”. “Can you smeeeeell what the GM is…cooking” ;)

• Habsrule1 says:

Oh, I agree Cal, and I commend Cole for doing it, but it happened less this year. Also, there are other ways of showing toughness, and he rarely showed it in any other ways.

Again, not knocking Cole, but I don’t think we’ll really miss his toughness, per se.

Go Habs Go!!

• Habondarock says:

As long as he puts pucks in the net I don’t care if he does it from the lobby !

For the posters saying he’s a perimeter player.

• rhino514 says:

Exactly. He has 4.5 million to play with. He can sign a heck of a defenseman, or a decent left wing.
      We can only guess how Cole will continue to produce. But the stats say that 90% of players decline substantially once they are in their early thirties.
      Even if cole rebounds this year, I think there is a very real chance that contract would have really hurt us next year and the year after.
      Also, the team dealt from a position of strength. The organization is stacked with right wing prospects.
      Heck, even without Ryder coming back, I don´t think it was a bad trade. A third round pick to boot. If Leblanc was recovered and producing in Hamilton, I would have been happy just to save the cap space and get a couple of picks.

14. 44har48 says:

You are all going to think or already do think I am nuts, but I couldn’t be happier with how our new GM is doing. I think he handled the PK situation brilliantly, and this trade is perfect for the long term. When I look through the smoke and mirrors, and politically correct speak, this is more about long term than short. We just gave up 2 more years at $4.5mm for an expiring contract . Much more at play here than improving the PP short term, or a dislike of a player.

I am thrilled this team is 2nd in the East right now. The next 14-15 games should tell us if we will truly make a run this year. Never the less, their is atually a plan here for this franchise and MB is not going to deviate from it because they have started off hot in year 1.

He needs to clear up cap space and shed contracts like Coles that worked great in year 1 and would drag the team in years 3-4.

Like it or not, this is MB’s team now and its his right and job to make his mark. I like it!

15. Habsssssssswin says:

Brilliant trade! Both as a player move, and a business move. Mr. Bergevin does have savy. Keep going Marc. There is more work to be done

16. Habfan10912 says:

For those keeping score at home, another goose egg for Scott Gomez last night. In 15 minutes of ice, 3 shots, 0 goals, 0 assist.
    Also a disappointing presser by Torts after the Rangers 4th consecutive loss to the Jets. Talked about the good signs and the good effort to build on.

———————————–

17. Thomas Le Fan says:

I was sorry to see Ryder go and am glad to have him back. Hopefully he’ll be the trigger man we need. The 3rd rounder is a nice bonus. Go Habs!

• Habfan10912 says:

Thomas, he was one of my favs also. I loved the guys shot. I don’t thing Guy was very fond of him though. Hopefully he can knock in a few to help our power play tonight.

———————————–

18. Steeltown Hab says:

Still shocked by this deal, it’s just really strange, and I don’t understand why people are acting like we overwhelmingly won this deal.

Ya the 3rd is nice and gives us some flexibility but Ryder is UFA, and what if we don’t end up using the extra $ to sign a big name? Power forwards aren’t easy to come by, think of how look it took to find Cole/Pacioretty and a lesser extent Bourque.

Last year Cole was one of everyones favourite habs now Ryder is better? I mean I did like him, but he’s pretty one dimensional.

One thing though, with Markov, Subban, Ryder, Galchenyuk, Eller, DD, Diaz, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Pleks. Our PP units should be lethal.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• 123456 says:

I posted something similar last night and got jumped! If Ryder walks the Habs have traded cole’s cap space for his goals (IDK 20, 25, 30, 35 goals????).

I do like the added flexibility of the cap space as the cap is going down a lot.

I don’t like the team getting a tiny bit softer. We all liked Ryders goals in his first stint but recall he was extremely weak on defense. I do not follow Ryder so he may have changed, he is more seasoned, been exposed to Boston’s hard nosed approach. So who knows.

The Bourque concussion should be the topic of the next thread. I’ve got an uneasy feeling about this one.

The dynamic of the team changes a bit without Bourque and Cole up front.

• CanadienBoy says:

Gagne back in Philly for a 4 rder

• Lafleurguy says:

Coincidental trivia. Simon Gagne was also taken in the 1998 draft, 22nd pick. Because we got Mike Ribeiro, Francois Beauchemin, Andrei Markov, and Michael Ryder from that draft, don’t feel as bad about the team choosing Eric Chouinard ahead of Gagne.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

Thx Steve for the link. Carey didn’t reveal his symptoms until days after a collision in practioce at the end of last season (and we got to see that Peter Budaj is a pretty good keeper). Colby Armstrong did the same last year with the Leafs. Crosby made an attempt to return only to go back onto IR after an errant David Krejci elbow that wasn’t particularly vicious. I think the facts point to the inevitability of on-going head injuries to additional players that can be career ending.
      P.S. Chris Pronger and Marc Savard have not officially retired.
      “May you live in interesting times.”

20. WindsorHab-10 says:

Welcome back Ryder. Got royally screwed by Carbonneau & should have never left Montreal. Glad to have him.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Cole wanting out. This is unlikely.

In the interview on rds.ca he mentions that his family will be staying here (until the end of the academic year I presume) – which makes sense since his daughter is in school. That is when he got choked up (“I said goodbye to my teammates and to my family”).

He might have realized he was not fitting in and took this as an opportunity for the future.

Also Re: having to send his daughter to French school. He didn’t. You can send your kids to any private school.

• Habfan10912 says:

This is a strange one for me. He had the right to refuse the trade but he did sound sad about it, eh?

———————————–

• Steeltown Hab says:

If a team wants to deal you that probably hurts, I bet a lot of guys swallow their pride and waive their clause then want to go prove the team wrong.

We always hear about the opposite end of the spectrum.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

Things usually look different once you take a night to sleep on them. Well, I still am in a state of shock over the Cole trade. It’s tough to get a handle on it.

Last year, HI/O posters were ecstatic about his signing. I thought the term was too long and said so at the time. I had to eat my words about Cole’s value to the Habs as he became Montreal’s best forward (along with MaxPac). He filled a lot of needs on the team. A year later he is too slow, too old and a liability that needed to be moved.

He waived his no trade clause which speaks volumes. I’d sure like to be a fly on the wall.

Ryder is now the best thing since sliced bread. As long as you remember that there are only 28 pieces of toast in the loaf.

The team will have tons of cap space. A year from now, MB can go out and overpay for a UFA, both in terms of coin and term. The list is long but eventually the Habs will get to zero in on the 2nd tier (as they always do). They can sign a Hamrlik for the D or a Cole or Gionta up front.

As for the 3rd round pick, I did a quick, informal survey last night. Over a ten year span, the chances of landing a regular NHLer from the 3rd round is one out of six. Those odds move to one out of four for the 2nd round.

Ultimately, this deal has to be about Bergevin putting his own mark on the team. Chances are that neither Cole nor Ryder would ever be around for a true Cup run so I guess it really doesn’t matter in the long run. As I said in the beginning, the real issue for me is how quickly HI/O posters put Cole out to pasture.

I for one, have nothing against Cole and will miss him. I suppose I am trusting MB knows what he is doing going forward. Cole was arguably our MVP last season and deserves respect for what he brought this team.

• Lafleurguy says:

Nice to see where the Rangers lavish spending has gotten them this season. Minny is hovering around .500 despite being big winners in last summer’s free-for-all for not-so-free free agents.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• ed says:

at the trade deadline coming up, Ryder, a pending free agent, could be had for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

there is no way this trade is made unless Cole couldn’t play for Therrien or Therrien didn’t want Cole.

• 24 Cups says:

Ed – As I said, you gotta be a fly on the wall. Things went really south for Cole in a very short time period.

I alsoo thought about Ryder going for a pick but that might be tough to do if the Habs nail down a playoff spot.

I’ll say one thing for MB, he’s got stones.

• SmartDog says:

You can’t just say this is MB ‘putting his stamp on the team’ as if it’s a vanity move.

You have to also agree this is at very least about minimizing risk. Cole is a risk in the final two years (as you said when he was signed). And risk, especially in a lower-cap world is bad. If MB is ‘putting his mark’ it’s only a mark of being proactive – something our previous leaders weren’t.

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“minimizing risk”…exactly

• 24 Cups says:

SD – Not my intent at all.

I think MB is like a newly elected president. He knows he only has a defined window of opportunity to make his mark, establish his power and implement his policies.

• SmartDog says:

Sorry – I might’ve been reading in too much. :)

Good point re. time to implement his changes… MB seems to have a REALLY clear idea of what he wants to do. And so far I it seems to be well thought out and on target. A big difference from what we had before.

————————————-
          Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

23. HankHardball says:

Getting smaller again isn’t going to help against teams like Boston, Toronto, & Philly.

And making cap space moves when the team is playing well, risks changing the dynamic in the room.

24. Cal says:

Habs will be softer with one less body willing to muck it up in the corners and in front of the net. Ryder hasn’t and won’t do that. Let’s hope he scores from the perimeter a lot.
    Cole’s comments are telling. He’d rather make money than win.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Would you keep a guy for two more years at that money who said he was thinking of retiring? Looks like he had other things on his mind…

• Cal says:

I keep him as long as the team is going well. There is a lot to be said for team chemistry. And winning.
        Our Habs have had an unexpected surge this season. Why tinker with it, when the trade deadline is April 3rd?

• 123456 says:

Agree DDO – whatever the ability of a player – it decreases when the desire goes away. I for one do not think this trade is as great as others are saying, but as a professional player in Montreal you need to knwo when to speak and when to not speak.

25. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning all. Even though all parties have been quick to deny, I wonder how much Cole’s stated unhappiness had to do with this trade. As fans we’d all like to believe it was simply MB recognizing a player in decline whose contract was going to be an albatross in the last two years but I got to wonder. Given the “change in culture” emphasis by the new management could MB had been a little upset with Cole’s “I might retire” statement ? And as far as Cole goes, waiving a no trade clause for Dallas? Either there is some kind of connection in Dallas or he wanted out of Montreal pretty bad.
    We can argue all day about who won the trade. It should be nice to have some cap room and watch how the new management spends it.

———————————–

26. JUST ME says:

This is more a business deal than Bergevin cares to admit. I am sure that he did not plan on the team to be where it is now when he took over so there must have been planned steps to take towards building HIS team. In that sense i am sure that neither Cole or Ryder are on that team but meanwhile he is taking small steps that have short term impact but long term benefits.

27. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

This trade was about one thing from MB’s perspective: Cole’s contract. MB evaluated Cole and decided he did not want to spend 4.5mill x next 2 years for him. He would rather spend the money on upcoming Habs RFA/UFA or other players.

If you agree with MB’s view on Cole, then this trade was a success:
    1) he dumped the contract
    2) replaced the scoring short term
    3) received a draft pick

I don’t blame MB for making this deal. Cole’s slow start was worrisome. Who knows if he was going to rebound? If not, the Habs were stuck with a contract that would be hard to get rid of. It was a shrewd move by MB. Whatever you think of Cole, he is not the Habs future. Time to move on.

28. Habsville says:

NUMBERS I think B Gallagher gives Ryder 73 and takes number 11 which he wore in junior Beside that this is a good numbers trade as well. Makes cap space and adds a draft pick

• Habfan10912 says:

I saw something from I think Stubbs last night that doubted that Gallagher would move from his 73 as much investment has been made by the club in shirts, jerseys and such.

———————————–

• Lafleurguy says:

J., you are the first to discover that the former GM had imposed a spending limit, a “salary cap,” on team jerseys. He did include a buyout clause of about $l600 for Camalleri to keep his but Mike couldn’t find his wallet in between periods of that game, so he left town without no. 13.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Lafleurguy says:

If this happens, Gallagher will restore the pride behind Habs’ no. 11 that Saku Koivu/Yvon Lambert/Marc Tardif gave it, and sullied by one’s whose name is over-mentioned.

“May you live in interesting times.”

29. SmartDog says:

FROM DALLAS, WITH, UH…. CONFUSION:
    I wanted to see what was being said about this trade in Dallas so I checked out the papers there.

The fans are none too happy about this. One site had a poll and 66% were against the trade.

HERE’s AN INTERESTING QUOTE FROM COLE: “It was going to happen now, or the in the summer or next year,” Cole said. “There was a great opportunity to go to Dallas. … I placed a call to Ray, and he had great things to say about the organization.”

A LOT OF DALLAS FANS ARE PISSED:
    “We got an older player (a winger at that… Not a d-man?!?!). Costs us more money. And offers less production. Plus we have up a draft pick.”
    “This trade is rubbish for Dallas.. The gm needs to be fired and I don’t even go for Dallas. At the end of the trade I saw and a third rounder and thought that has to go to Dallas. But no it says Montreal will get it, seriously Ryder is a dangerous player and should not of been traded.”
    IN BOB WE TRUSTED TOO!
    “Gainey must have hate for those Canadiens. Ribiero, Souray, and now Ryder all shipped out since he’s been back. I think Cole will be a bit stronger on the puck and better on the def end, but that’s not worth giving up Ryder’s sniping talent and a 3rd rounder.”
    (Remember Bob is now an ‘advisor’ down there… how’s that workin’ for ya?)

Nice to be on the end of a trade where the other guy is scratching his head. To me, Cole wanted out of town (this is also hinted at in Dallas articles… says both players were unhappy). Ryder will help our Power Play. And Cole is essentially expendable – disgruntled, and turning 35 soon. Smart trade MB.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

30. shootdapuck says:

Are the Habs eating some of Coles’ cap hit?

Under new CBA its permitted.

=================================================
    The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
    “Le game est tous de hard work”
    ” I have a pet peeve”

31. Lafleurguy says:

With the albatross of Gomez’ contract gone, very clear-headed cap management decision by Bergevin. On those TV poker shows the percentage odds of a hand winning is a fascinating aspect of the shows. The odds of winning this year remain the same in my opinion (not feeling humble this am), but the odds of winning in the next 3 years have gone up. Erik Cole has a physical game, and I could see him declining at ages 35 and 36 somewhat comparably to Jason Arnott. Michael Ryder has more miles ahead as a race-car (NASCAR variety, not Indy or Formula One), although his upcoming UFA status may be a detriment (especially if he performs well).

This is Bergevin’s first trade, I think, and no doubt had input from Rick Dudley, and Larry Carriere. Don’t think the same kind of analysis vis-a-vis impact on upcoming seasons went on before the Kaberle trade. That was an opportunity then to try to acquire a bruiser on defence. Remember the mocked ex- Leafs GM got a first round pick for Kaberle?

Back to the now….six periods are done…..we need our first goal against the Leafs.

“May you live in interesting times.”

P.S. Ryder’s past contract with Bruins was $4 million per yr. I can understand why the Habs didn’t offer that coming off a 14 goal season, and Gainey’s scheme to win with Gomez, Gionta, Camalleri, Spacek, and Gill.

So after chewing on this trade all night, I have to believe there is more to follow. I understand the need to have more of a sniper/finisher in Ryder, and perhaps more importantly I see the need to move Cole before his contract becomes too much of a hindrance, if he has indeed begun to really slow down.

I greatly appreciate what Cole did for this team last year, and still like him and will miss him. I am not of the opinion this is a personality clash between player and team. I wish Cole all the best in Dallas, and more importantly I look forward to seeing MB’s next move. I am very concerned in the short term about the fact our lineup is now softer, especially with Bourque out of lineup in addition to Cole’s absence.

• dano58 says:

Read what you will but watch his exit interview on tsn and you will see this was a cap move clearly and Cole was given the opportunity to say yes or no because of his NTC. He said yes because he knew next time might not be as lucky to go someplace where he knows people. M/B knows we are not there yet and his plan is to build for the future and hopefully we have a GM that does it wisely.

GO HABS GO!!!

“Opinions are like assholes and everybody has one.”
      Hopefully the Habs brass only takes the best ones!

Oh I have no doubts that cap clearing was key, thus the reason I feel this opens the door for other moves to follow. Be it in trade this season or off season and/or UFA signings.

• Lafleurguy says:

And slushy G’Day to you neighbor. Agree with you that MB is likely thinking up other trades, e.g. a bruiser on defence. I feel badly for Bourque in having to step into the enforcer role temporarily, and now sidelined as a result.

33. Habondarock says:

i just have to post on this. Was playing in a bar on George Street in St. john’s last year when the Sens were in town playing a pre-season game against the Jets. Brian Murray and the coaching staff dropped in after the game for a few pints. So, there i was on stage with my CH hat, the Sens had just beaten Montreal the night before (1-0) and I was taking a bit of ribbing from the guys. Took my first break and went to talk some hockey with the group. Brian Murray questioned my loyalty to a team that “treated a fellow newfoundlander like sh#t!” He really rode me hard on that point. And he did have a point. (He was buying rounds and made sure to exclude me. Paul Maclean, stand -up guy that he is, brought one up to the stage for me amid cries of derision from the rest of the staff.)
    I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryder was less than giddy about returning after his last go-round. Hope the new Management team has a sit down and explains the new culture in Montreal. Welcome back Mikey!

34. Curtis O Habs says:

Everyone who owns an old Ryder jersey woke up happy this morning. Meez tinks there was more going on behind closed doors that led to this deal.

• Curtis O Habs says:

My money is on Gionta. I don`t think MB would convince PK to sign and then deal him as he is trying to gain the trust and confidence of his players.

35. RH says:

MY MAN!!! HE’S BACK!

Where the hell was I when this happened? Although, I’ll be scratching my head over this for a while. Giving up Cole for Ryder when he’s got Kaberle sitting out most of the games.

36. JohnBellyful says:

To give the appearance of reducing teams’ travelling times while in fact increasing their odds of winning a pennant, the NHL should create five divisions within each conference:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Winnipeg
    Minnesota
    Chicago

Dallas
    Nashville
    Columbus

Now, at first glance this proposal appears ludicrous but upon closer inspection it’s merely foolish, and so is likely to receive careful review by the league.
    Here’s how works: Teams play teams outside their division six times each but only five times each other within their division: 72 + 10 = 82.
    The five division winners make the playoffs as do the top three wildcards.
    The advantages are that each team has a 33 per cent chance of winning its division – woohoo! Great for their fans and the publicity department – and the wildcards would truly reflect their elevated standing in the conference, eliminating the possibility of two teams who finished second and third in a weak division automatically making the playoffs.
    The winner of the season series would decide who is awarded the division title in the event of a tie.
    If you wish to learn more about this exciting idea, send a self-addressed stamped email to a person of your choosing.

I think each division needs a name John, if you could provide those it would be appreciated. Perhaps Carolina/Florida/Tampa could be the Hatfields and the Pitt/Wash/Phil division would be the McCoy’s, this is as far as I could get.

• Cal says:

Thanks, JB! Hilarious yet disturbing, too. The NHL might actually consider it. Have you seen their ludicrous proposals for realignment?
      :D

• JohnBellyful says:

I was inspired by their proposals. I hope mine enters the mix and I end up with some freebies if it’s chosen.

Hmmm, I tried sending this a few moments ago and got this:

Service Unavailable – Zero size object
        The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

If HIO is sending me a message — and what else could it be? — I don’t like it.
        ‘Zero size object’! Good grief, I’m less than a smurf!

37. HankHardball says:

Cap space, more points, yes. But…

Objective people might say the Habs have been achieving above their pay grade. I think team chemistry is what has the Habs at the top, instead of the bottom of the playoff picture.

Cole provided a veteran presence and stability in the room that probably only Markov still provides. Making lateral changes when the team is playing well risks changing the dynamic in the room.

• geo_habsgo says:

Ryder is 32 and just as much a veteran as Cole is, is he not? I agree it can slightly alter the team dynamic but your suggestion that Cole has superior experience and pedigree as a veteran seems a little off considering Ryder is only two years younger and has accomplished just as much, if not more than Cole has.

38. remi_10069 says:

I’d always rather have a good player playing badly then an average player getting the points. The team is worse with Ryder no question. If he wanted out then MB did well, if not, he’s not as cool as everyone thinks. Panic move, most likely driven by MT’s dislike for Eric which i suspect is caused by Eric’s hatred for MB. I think PK is in the same boat.

If Bourque got consussed by Orr then MB’s an even bigger tool for not having a nuke in the lineup tonight. Remeber the game with Wendel Clarke before we got Ewen? Remember the next game when we got Ewen? Pretty sure everyone on the team was pretty pumped by it.

Pretty sure we won the cup that year.

pipes

• 44har48 says:

When I look through the smoke and mirrors guys this is more about long term than short. We just gave up 2 more years at $4.5mm for an expiring contract :). Much more at play here than improving the PP short term, or a dislike of a player.

• remi_10069 says:

Don’t know why you look long term when you’re 2nd in the east, your team is gelling. Situations like this dictate you should be focusing on making your team better in the short term ie increase our chance in the playoffs, rather than down the road. Dumb move.

pipes

39. Welks says:

I think gally should give up the 73 for Ryder and take the 11. It’s early in his career but his style of play has earned him a nice low number.

• Habfan17 says:

Amen! I would love to see more players in ‘hockey” numbers. I am no fan of the Leafs, but that is one thing they do better than Montreal, they hang the jersey’s in honour of the great players leaving the numbers available for future great players. The Habs need to do the same. With the number of jersey’s that have been retired, players will all be wearing football numbers. Proof that it does not disrespect or detract from a player is that fact that the Habs retired number 12 for two players, Cournoyer and Moore, and number 16 for Richard and Lach. They have 15 numbers retired.

I think the owner and management are very capaable of determining if a player has earned a certain number. If Galchenyuk ends up being the superstar that we hope, then why can’t he wear number 10 if that is his favourite number. It does not diminish what Lafleur meant to the club! Just my humble opinion. Raise the jersey’s in honour of a player, but do not retire the number!

Habfan17

• Cal says:

Retire the number. I hated seeing Odjick wearing Dryden’s number. It was an embarrassment.

• Habfan17 says:

One instance of management not having a clue. They did have some clued out people running the show for a while. Molson gets it and so does Bergevin. I doubt it would happen again. Let me ask you this, do you think it would have been a bad thing if Montreal had drafted or traded for leCavalier and he wanted number 4. I doubt that Le Gros Bill would have a problem with it, he would be honoured I think

Habfan17

• GrosBill says:

That Gros Bil may not have a problem with that (of course, he is all class) but this one does, and I am not nearly as classy ;) Retired numbers are fine with me except we didnt retire Blakes and some may strongly disagree, but Lemaires also. The days of most teams using numbers (mostily) from 1-25 have been gone in the NHL for sometime now.

• shootdapuck says:

After Gomez wore 11 its tainted.

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

40. Cal says:

Let’s see if this lateral move provides more scoring and exactly where does Ryder fit? It’ll make tonight’s game more interesting, at the very least.
    Welcome back, Ryder: http://calshabsongparodies.weebly.com

41. RetroMikey says:

I’m not gonna comment on this trade but I believe Bergevin should have gotten more what the team needs as I have harped and barked on this site from the getgo. Ryder is a right handed sniper which fills our need and his defensive game has improved since his days in Montreal..welcome back Michael!
    Next up to trade is Gionta and Markov for any takers out there.
    The “C” on Gionta’s jersey means C ya in Montreal…….do it Bergevin!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• showey47 says:

IMHO this is a salary dump. I don’t see how we could have gotten any more since we are dumping a guy who will be getting another 9 million till he is 36. We are getting younger a more productive player and massive cap flexibility in 2 months. If anything the draft pick should have been going the other way. Cole doesn’t look anything like he did last year,no outside speed,no driving the net. I’ve always like the guy,we just got him way to late in his career.

I can’t speak for bergevin cause i’m not all that familiar with him but i was sold on him when he hired dudley who i became familiar with close to 20 years ago. When a g.m. hires an assistant its going to be someone who is similar in thinking. From i saw from dudley years ago and seeing what he was doing in atlanta when he brought in guys like Ladd and Byfuglien and other big bodies who can skate. I’m optimistic where this team direction is going. Alot of ufa’s who would be right up bergevin’s/dudleys alley this summer.

42. HabCez says:

I like Ryder but I like Cole more!

Other then Bourque (injured though) who will be crashing the net or standing in front of the net.

Cole would have been a good teacher for AG since he goes straight for the net.
    I’ll be watching how AG plays now after this.

Will we become a puck carrying (east/west) team on the ice?

My beef with Rider back then was that he tried to control the puck too much and slowed the rush down the ice and started shooting less.

I haven’t seen him play since he left but he seems to get points on what ever team he is on but it does make me wonder why he keeps on bumping around.

Well hoping this works out for us and good luck Cole.. gonna miss those power rushes..
    In my mind he was are MVP last year.

“Emelin’s the real deal.”
    – HabCez

43. AceMagnum says:

This means we can get Hamrlik back and there won’t be a fist-fight in the lockerroom!

44. Rad says:

Nice trade Mr Bergevin. Now, how about picking up some crease-clearing truculence on D? It’s overdue.

45. habs001 says:

The good news is that the Habs have been able to win despite the fact that many of their forwards are on 12 goals or less full season pace…

46. habs001 says:

It is still hard to figure out what was wrong with Cole this year..yes his speed was off and was not driving to the net but also his pass receiving and giving was terrible along with his decision making…

47. The Jackal says:

I hope this trade is good for us.
    I agree with what Bill has been saying, that if Ryder is not re-signed, then all we get for Cole is a 3rd round pick.
    It’s too bad he has to go. He was great last year and I have no doubt he will pick it up again this season. As usual, people conflate some out of context comments to make it seem as if he was not interested, etc. I’m glad we have the cap space, and I hope we sign Perry or someone, and we have good assets and all, but Cole was a good player for us. It’s too late now, but giving up on that guy was a typical bipolar fan thing to do. Oh well, maybe one day we’ll learn not to forget the good just because it is convenient.

• bwoar says:

Hated him before he was a Hab, then enjoyed his play very much last year. I suppose that’s “bipolar” too, right? Only now, things are back where they started, and I can keep right on hating his face. Last year is gone with the wind, and with it has gone Erik Cole’s goal scoring.

Much earlier tonight, Renegade invoked the name of Cammalleri. When you’re paid to score goals, and you aren’t scoring, you better bring something else on the ice.

We weren’t seeing it from Cole this year, and ya know what else? I can’t stand the “slow starter” label, nor using that as an excuse for playing terrible hockey 10 games at a time.

“thoroughbred”

• wildwilly says:

People need to look at a wider picture than “player for pick/ player for player”. With the constricting salary cap it is becoming much more “contract for contract”.

I really liked Cole but obviously the Habs saw him that would not justify his $4.5 million salary or would have to cut elsewhere to get under the cap.

• Habfan17 says:

Cole was talking about retiring since he was unhappy with the CBA and the school system. I prefer to look at is as the Habs got something for a player that cost them nothing to get. They did not trade assets to get him so they are ahead. Having him and Ryder off the books at the end of the season gives Bergevin more options

Cole was great last season but he was “off” this season. I would think he asked to be traded and unlike last season, it was handled quietly and professionally! I think this was a good move. Montreal has the players to drive the net, they just need to do it more. Moen, Prust, Armstrong, White, Bourque.
      Habfan17

48. 25insight says:

Last Time a Canadian Team won: 1993
    Gary Bettman hired: 1993

Coincidence?

49. Marc10 says:

One more thing before I forget:

Thanks Eric Cole for coming to Montreal. You were terrific in a dismal season and I’ll miss those fantastic rushes down the wing. High five the ref for us when you next score!

50. Habilis says:

Quote of the night:

“Im kind of tired of playing like an average goalie. It’s getting a little ridiculous now.”

Corey Schneider, after letting in 3 goals on 21 shots (2 to Kyle Chipchura).

Somebody got a sense of entitlement over the summer to go with his new contract! Dude has nothing to worry about anyhow about because 3 goals on 21 shots is decidedly not average in the NHL. It’s downright terrible.

51. 25insight says:

We may have gotten the better of this trade but let’s get our heads out of our asses a litte. TSN.ca and NHL.com are blowing up with nasty, troll comments about Cole. The guy is an awesome player and person, and if you go to rds.ca and see his departure interview he gets choked up when he mentions saying goodbye to the rest of the team. Dallas is getting a player with tons of motivation to win. Thanks Cole for what you’ve brought to this team and good luck moving forward, and welcome back Ryder!

52. Habilis says:

Unrelated and insomnia driven:

Is Nathan MacKinnon actually the smartest man in hockey?

His stock has fallen slightly this year as everyone knows. In unrelated(?) news, the Blue Jackets are well on their way to the first overall pick. The Jackets are truly awful, and they make you play in Columbus if you get drafted there. I think Ryan Murray yanked his own arm out of it’s socket when he saw the roster.

Think about it.

• Habitoba says:

I’ve seen a couple comments somewhere lost amongst the thousands where people are starting to question Moen’s role on the team. I would like to think that he does have a role on the team and he’s got to be doing a decent job of it if we look at the standings. Just sayin’…

Edit: Don’t know why I put this as a reply to your comment as it has nothing to do with it. Oops

• 25insight says:

Lottery gets 1st overall? not the worst team. And this time it includes all the teams that didn’t make the playoffs.

• Buzz Lightbeer says:

:D My neighbor and I were just talking about that. Slight sabotage of your own season so you don’t have to fake smile for the cameras while slipping on a Blue Jackets sweater.

53. MikeHabs says:

i’m excited about this. i have always liked ryder and was kinda rattled when he was gone from the canadiens. it was hard to watch him in a bruins uniform but lets try to remember when he helped the comeback against the rangers and erase their 5-0 lead!

What will each bring to their new teams? Pros and Cons?: http://www.allaboutthehabs.ca/the-ryder-cole-swap-what-each-will-bring-to-their-respective-teams-and-the-pros-and-cons/

54. jols101 says:

A team that thinks they are a goal scorer away from a realistic cup run will give up a late first rounder for Ryder at the trade deadline if Bergevin is so inclined.

55. Bill says:

Chrisadiens: the Gaustad thing was bizarre and a definite outlier. Usually a really, really good UFA gets you a first rounder. For Dallas to get a better, more physical and complete player who is under
    Contract for two more years in exchange for a pending UFA is … unprecedented? I can’t recall a trade like it.

56. Bill says:

Last comment: I’d be a lot less unhappy about this if it were Gionta going to the Stars instead of Cole. The Stars are lucky to be getting more than a draft pick for Ryder anyway, since he’s a UFA, surely they would have accepted that deal as well.

• jols101 says:

That would have been a great trade.

• christophor says:

I see where you’re coming from but I think your opinion is off that Cole’s two and a half years remaining at 4.5 is an asset rather than a detraction.

• Chrisadiens says:

Bill you should read some of the Dallas blogs. About 80% of the comments ask for Joe’s firing. At first glance it would appear we won the trade, but time will tell.

Also, Paul freaking Gaustad fetched a 1st rd pick last year.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Yep. Trade Cole for a rental. The more I think about it, the less sense this makes, barring the possibility that Cole wanted out. It all hinges on Cole suddenly being washed up, which is the possibility that is freaking out Stars fans right now. Like us, they are bedazzled by a 19-game sample. In the event that Cole finds his game they will be laughing that they got this stud power forward for – basically – a mid-rounder and a rental.

• Marc10 says:

Gionta wasn’t going to get you anything. He’s as close to untradeable as you can get. It’s not realistic.

I don’t like what this trade does to our size, but on points and playoff performance, it’s likely a wash or slightly in our favour. There’s also the messing with a winning lineup… Let’s see see if the team keeps plugging right along.

On term, this works extremely well in our favour. We need that cap room and the sooner we can acquire it, the better off we’ll be in rebuilding this team around the kids. Gio, Kabs and Cole were never going to be part of the long term picture. Ryder isn’t either, but the UFA pick up(s) from that cap space and the pick might be.

The Stars were looking for a solid player on a long term commitment. They were willing to pay and we needed that room for the big signings coming in the not too distant future for guys like Eller, DD, PK, Gally and Chucky. It’s an interesting gamble and who knows, we might just win this trade outright this year.

PS: I do think that if Bergie could offload Gio he would, but he’s untradeable.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree!

57. bwoar says:

Wow. Nice!

“thoroughbred”

58. christophor says:

On a different note, are people mad that a player who shouldn’t have an NHL job (Colton Orr) concussed Bourque with a hard sucker punch? (I’m guessing that was the cause; other options?)

edit: …after taking a run and lunging with his knee at Plekanec?

• ProHabs says:

I am more mad that the Habs remain pretty well the only team in the league that doesn`t have players on the team to protect their skill players. If the Habs had a goon on the team, he would have dealt with Orr before Orr got running around like a lunatic. There is no way Bourque or Gorges or Subban or any of the skilled players should have to waste their time fighting. But they have no choice because for years, management doesn`t get some players to take care of the meatheads on other teams.

59. Marc10 says:

Eric Cole is a power forward and you never like to see those go from your lineup. Michael Ryder is a natural goal scorer.

I do think there was more at play here… Be it Cole’s inability to play within the system or his wanting to go back to the States for the family’s education.

If Cole wanted out or was playing like he wanted out, then this isn’t a bad deal. You get cap relief and a pick… and a guy who might score more on the powerplay.

I don’t imagine Bergevin would be one to willingly mess with a winning lineup unless there was a very compelling reason to do so – especially if you’re shipping off one of your leading point producers and a guys with size, speed and skills. So there’s gotta to be more to this… and under those circumstances, I’d be OK with the deal.

Let’s hope Ryder works out and we don’t miss a beat!

60. Chrisadiens says:

So apparently Dallas had three (one from EDM, one from PHI and their own) 3rd rd picks. Does anyone know which 3rd rounder they gave to us? Two out of those 3 could almost be late 2nd rounders….

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

61. Komihater says:

Chicoutimi , i agree with you on most points. People are too quick to forget how much of an impact player Cole is when is on, which imo was on its way. I remember thinking last year how we haven’t enjoyed watching a Cole like player in god knows how many years. Which is why i think there is more to it than just cap space. I won’t speculate a reason, but there kinda has to be.

I’m a little unhappy with it for now,and a little worried with Bourque now out. However i think Ryder is much more defensively responsible player (glove save) and it may not turn out so bad. Especially if MB has an ace up his sleeve like some are suggesting.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

Komihater, I love your handle!

Look, one possibility is that Cole really wanted out. If he did, then this is a tolerable salvage job. Not anything to be happy about, particularly, just a regrettable necessity.

If MB has something up his sleeve…well, sure, this may end up looking good.

If the 3rd rounder turns into gold, if we hit a UFA home-run. If, if if.

Until MB actually delivers that magical mystery move that fans are in La-La Land dreaming about, we can only go by the facts before us. And like I say, the facts are that this trade makes us significantly softer without adding any offence. Ring a ding ding.

• Whatever says:

IF Cole gets his game back like he played last year.

I didn’t see it. Offense upside? Fact: Ryder based on last year and this year. No IFs.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

As long as you agree that, should Cole get his game back, this was a stupid trade, then I’m with you.

Here’s another fact with no ‘IF’ about it. Ryder has never been as good a player as Cole, ever, except for the first 20 games of this season. But I guess 20 games overwhelm all other considerations.

• Whatever says:

It’s not a stupid trade regardless.

It’s more even for Dallas if Cole actually wakes up and puts forth the effort he can without wasting his cap hit for the next 2 1/2 seasons. Forget about points, Cole isn’t playing Cole’s game. His effort is less. His hitting is less. His speed is less. He is uninterested. Maybe he wanted to go. Certainly is playing like it.

I don’t see how your second paragraph is fact.

• The Chicoutimi Cucumber says:

It’s a fact, because you’re better off with a power forward who delivers crushing hits and drives the net with alarming speed, than with a perimeter player with a good shot, all other things being equal. This is elementary. Everybody knows it except people who are determined to temporarily forget it so that they can declare this an awesome deal.

Like I keep saying: Cole had *better* be washed up.

• Komihater says:

Cole is playing his game, He always starts slow. A train takes time to gain momentum.

• Komihater says:

I’m gonna miss that guy. Nothing more exciting last year than the Cole train. I can’t wrap my brain around him wanting to leave a first place team or even a team in top 10 overall for that matter. Which leads me to inch over to the drama side of things. Who knows maybe a combination of everything.

In any case i still support the crew, so will remain optimistic as usual. How odd i know.

62. Clay says:

Wow – stunning. If this would have happened last season, I would have been really critical of the move…but after seeing Cole float this year, and hearing how unhappy he was with the new CBA, I think this is a good move. Time will tell.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

This frees up cap space but not for any big name signings. This is money to spend on character players at reasonable rates, think Brandon Prust. Sure the Rangers have Gaborik, Richards and Nash but what are they but a 1 line team subject to the whims of the injury bug. Parise and Suter in Minny. Nope. Build from within and spend the money on good players who come in at a good rate to fill out your middle and bottom lines. Stock up on picks and build a stable of assets. The Habs have two NHL ready defensemen sitting at the moment and when Nokia and Bourque are back will have two extra bodies at forward. Nobody thinks the cupboards are bare on the farm either and the Habs have a plethora of picks coming up. When was the last time as Hab fans could we say that this was the case? And the team is fighting for a division title. This my friends is how you build a contender. Not by squandering picks on rentals or dumping more UFA’s than can be counted on two hands for nothing and then signing a whole team over a summer of over priced and under sized veterans. Patience and go for the jugular. Means Business.

64. 25insight says:

Smells like something is cooking in Bergevin’s kitchen. This is not the end of it, he’s playing his cards and has his poker face on.

65. Habitant in Surrey says:

…this is a tough one for Me, I liked both Ryder and Cole

…Cole did start slow but was picking it up lately

…Ryder will likely be more consistent being a trigger-man

…We will miss Cole’s physicality and outside speed

…We will appreciate being relieved of Cole’s longer-term contractual obligation

…get some/lose some

…will losing Cole affect Our current fun n games at the top of the leader-board ? …Team chemistry ? …match-ups with physical teams like Turdranna, etc. short-term ?, …and help Us to play under the cap/provide room for potential young guns to come in sooner rather than later ?

…all I know right now is Marc Bergevin is one Cool Hand Luke

…in the military, there were certain platoon leaders that were more a risk to Your Life than the enemy …others, very few, You would follow anywhere despite the odds

…Marc Bergevin would make one Hell of a Marine

• chanchilla says:

I think the benefit of ryder on the powerplay is gonna make the difference!

• Jim Edson says:

Chris. agree with your thoughts!

I just hope that this itteration of Ryder does not import his former lack of work ethic to the room. Though I hardly expect MT2 will tolerate any slacking.

But once a Bayman…………

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

66. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Bonne nuit mes amis…my carpal tunnel is acting up. Whatever happens, it’s nice to see a GM who is trying to make thoughtful moves instead of flying by the seat of his pants (see Gomez and Kaberle trades).

67. commandant says:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict #13 for Ryder.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

68. ProHabs says:

Great, even with new management, it looks like the same old recipe applies. Make whatever moves to ensure our team is as soft as possible.

• DickandDanny says:

How so? Eric Cole was not a tough player. I think Ryder is as big, or close to the same size as Cole, and pretty sturdy and stnads up for himself well. Ryder has scored in Boston and Dallas (Western Conf which is also tougher) and you don’t do that by being soft. What is your basis for your comment?

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• Bill says:

The basis for the comment is that Cole actually is a tough player, in the sense that he cannot and will not be pushed around, uses his body, and hits. Whereas Ryder – who by the way is not as big as Cole, no – does not possess any of those qualities.

He scored in Boston and Dallas because he can score. He has a great shot. I think it helped that Dallas and Boston surrounded him with muscle. Whereas on the Habs, Cole was supplying muscle.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• ProHabs says:

Eric Cole delivers bone crunching hits. He is tough as nails. Ryder is a perimeter player who avoids body contact at any cost. If you are going to trade Cole, at the least get some size back. I am so sick of the Habs being a team that when the going gets tough and teams play physical against them that the Habs cannot match up.

• boing007 says:

The boards in Dallas are really hard. At least they sound that way.

Richard R
        Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• jols101 says:

Ya, I am not sure what Bergevin is thinking is this respect. Surly he sees that this team is too small up front and on D. I understand PG/BG thinking that in the ‘new’ NHL speed and quickness will do the trick but that was a myth; dispelled by the Bruins and Kings winning the cup.

Beregevin strikes me as a smart man and has played the game for many years. Maybe he thinks they can wait a year or two until Tinordi, Beaulieu and another of the big young dmen are ready.

This team, as it stands today, is built perfectly to win the Swiss Elite League championship not the NHL playoffs and the Stanley Cup.

69. Adidess says:

Heard the news on the radio earlier tonight and i didn’t jump for joy. Well, i was driving -)

My view is this deal only makes sense if Cole went to MB and requested a favor in the form of a trade, for family reasons or things of that nature. The fact that Cole agreed to wave his no-trade suggests he was a partner in this, not a victim.

I’m saying this because despite Cole’s salary, age, and the slow start, he’s not the first player I’d be looking to trade on this roster if i were Bergevin. There is something else at play here is my suspicion.

As for Ryder, he’s a sniper, I kinda like him. But for a team who is looking to get bigger, meaner Ryder doesn’t strike me as someone MB would specifically target in a trade, even though they need pure scorers.

Once you start trading players on a ‘winning’ team, you introduce a new element /variable in the mix of the team that wasn’t there. And as both Chris and Bill said, you may upset the chemistry/balance of the room as a result even if the two players you swapped may be equal in talent.

I’m not sure MB would take the risk this early (prior to deadline) if there wasn’t a particular reason to be diligent on the trade. We’ll have to see how it plays out. My two cents.

Edit: Upset the chemistry, not offset

• DickandDanny says:

I’m not buying anymore habs jerseys. Each time I do my guy is gone the next year and so is my $. So, if anyone has the right to comment on this trade, I think I do, as i spent the money, got the jersey, and lost the player. I think Cole was really struggling this year. He spent most of his time on the ice floundering around. Never have i seen a guy knocked down so easily or so often, especially for a big man. Speaking of size Ryder is no slouch and I believe he learned to play tougher while a Bruin. I agree Cole could be a physical player at times, but i’ll clarify that and add only when he wanted to be. He really did turn away from a lot of hits he could have thrown. This deal is also good in that we get a younger guy, at less money, and we get a 3rd round pick, which in itself could net us quite a good draft pick in this rich draft year. Lastly we get a guy who has a great shot and who can find open space, especially on the PP. We need that. we have a ton of speed, we need a guy with net presence and Michael will bring that. Good luck to both, and does anyone want to buy a jersey? Or, maybe i’ll switch the numbers around and change the name on the back ! That other guy wearing 27 should be around for a long while, at least I hope.

\”A cannonading blast from the wing, by Lafleur\”

• Saltwater Cowboy says:

I still have my Price jerseys from 4 years ago!

• I’m loving my Markov jersey — hope he retires a Hab!

• Jim Edson says:

Velcro the names and numbers for quick correction!

———————————————————————-
        What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

70. Puck Bard says:

Wow, I go away for a few days and the Habs Robotrip.

71. jedimyrmidon says:

Reaction to acquiring Ryber for Cole is much more ambiguous than I expected.

Lots of speculation over what the extra cap space will mean this summer…

Well, how about during the 2nd year? I think there are some very big names that year, and Gionta, Markov are also off the books that year. If Kaberle is bought out/traded, then the Habs will have a tremendous amount of cap space that year.

• hockeymaniac31 says:

Screw gionta let him go and Markov will probably retire at the end of his contract. Whos out there on the Market then in 2 years?

• jedimyrmidon says:

In 2014:
        – Malkin, Vanek, Gaborik, Marleu, Thornton, Kessel, Phaneuf, Sedin brothers, Statsny, Pominville, among many, many others.

• hockeymaniac31 says:

It gonna be impossible to get Malkin and the sedin twins. But Phaneuf, Kessel, Gaborik, and especially Marleu(power forward with lots of skill) is possible especially if we go far this year. If Thorton wasnt so old I would go with him.

• commandant says:

Its always that way though… the UFA market 2 years from now will always look great. 85 % of those players will sign extensions with their team though between July 1st 2013 and July 1st 2014, never making it to free agency.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Exactly…also tend to overpay for UFAs so usually better to focus first on “home-grown” talent who would probably take a discount.

• Chris says:

50% of those guys never make it that far.

In all likelihood, 80% of those guys never make it to UFA status.

We play the “wait until the summer after next!” game every season, and then every summer rolls around and there are slim pickings. I doubt that 2014 will be any different.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I realize that most will not make it that far, and that that is the case every year.

But if impact offseason UFA acquisitions are going to be made, there has to be cap space available in the first place. And it makes sense to free cap space on an asset potentially quickly depreciating in value.

• Mike D says:

Only player on that list I’d have any interest in (especially if we’re talking two and half years from now) is Malkin.

Vanek, Gaborik, Kessel, Pominville – all expensive streaky players. Put up lots of goals now, but we’re talking 2014. If people were frustrated by AK46, these guys will do worse. More goals but also more than twice the price.

Marleau, Thornton, Sedin bros – already a little old. By 2014 they’ll be well past their best-before dates.

Stastny – as of now he’s a question mark as a player.

Phaneuf – Mr. Cuthbert can bite me. P.K. is already a better player and younger. With Tinordi, Beaulieu, and Ellis, we’ll have no use for him in 2014.

– Honestly yours
          Twitter: @de_benny

72. Saltwater Cowboy says:

I can sleep sound as a pound tonight! Thanks MB

73. Saltwater Cowboy says:

Ryder scores game winner tomorrow night!

You heard it here first!