Habs deal Cole to Stars for Ryder

ryder

Out of the fog and back to Montreal comes Michael Ryder.
Ronald Martinez, Getty Images

The Canadiens have traded forward Erik Cole to the Dallas Stars for Michael Ryder, who returns to Montreal, and a third-round draft pick this year.

To say that the deal is a stunner would be to understate the truth. It is also the first trade for new Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin.

“He was shocked, but it’s a place where he’s been and where he’s had success,” Bergevin said on a conference call Tuesday night. “He loves the city of Montreal. I told him we’re extremely happy to have him. He brings an asset to our team that I felt we could use – he’s already had success this year and last year in Dallas. He was surprised but happy.”

Bergevin added that “there’s a very good possibility” Ryder will be in the lineup Wednesday night when the Canadiens visit the Toronto Maple Leafs (7:30 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN 690 Radio) and that he would help the team’s power play. The Canadiens rank 10th in the NHL on the power play with an 18.9 per cent success rate.

In 19 games this season with the Stars, Ryder posted 6-8-14 totals and was plus-4. A UFA at season’s end, Ryder is earning $3.5 million this season. Ryder is on a six-game point streak with two goals and seven assists in his last six games. His 14 points are the same as Canadiens team leader Max Pacioretty, who has 4-10-14 totals in 15 games.

“He’s a sniper, he won the Stanley Cup in Boston and he understands the market in Montreal,” Bergevin said.

The GM added: “Nothing against Erik (Cole), but (Ryder) helps us in areas we need right away.”

Bergevin also said that Cole’s comments before training camp about a possible early retirement didn’t factor in his decision to make the trade.

Cole, 34, who signed with the Canadiens before last season as an unrestricted free agent for four years and $18 million, was the Canadiens’ leading goal-scorer last season with 35, a career high. He played on the top line with Max Pacioretty and centre David Desharnais. He had three goals and three assists in 19 games this season.

Ryder, 32, was chosen by the Habs 216th overall, in the eighth round, of the 1998 draft. He eventually fell out of favour with the team, a healthy scratch for much of the 2008 playoffs. He signed for three seasons with the Boston Bruins before moving on to the Stars, where he scored 35 goals last season.

“Erik Cole is a top-six, power forward who skates well, adds size, and is under contract for the next two years,” Stars general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said on the team’s website. “We thank Michael Ryder for his contributions and look forward to what Erik will bring to our group.”

Bergevin said that he is always looking to make the Canadiens better and didn’t hesitate to pull the trigger on this deal despite the fact the Canadiens are in first place in the Eastern Conference.

“We’re happy to have him,” Bergevin said of Ryder. “He brings an asset to our team we can use. We don’t make trades on stats alone, but that was definitely a big plus. He’s already had success this year.”

Canadiens trade Cole to Stars for Ryder, by Dave Stubbs

Ryder has had great NHL career for an eighth-round draft pick, by Stu Cowan

Habs’ Bourque sidelined by a concussion, by Pat Hickey

1,801 Comments

1. Old Bald Bird says:

This is another indication that speculating on trades is a fruitless endeavour. I know that it will never stop, but has one ever come to fruition?

(I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would use fruitless and fruition in the same post.)

2. Mattyleg says:

Holy crap, the Jets are looking like us last season!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

3. Pucknut says:

Cole was a BEAST for us last year. Sorry to see him go. I wish him all the best & thanks for being the light in the darkness that was last season.

• Mondou6 says:

I agree. Pretty much any enjoyment last year came from Cole.

Whether or not this is a good trade for us, thanks to Cole and good luck to him in the future.

• 24 Cups says:

I can’t believe how people on this site have turned on him in just a few months. Another example of LCD on the world wide web.

I was never that keen on his contract but the guy proved me wrong.

I still think something is really fishy here.

• krob1000 says:

he really got under my skin during thelockout…combine that withthe slow start…two more years in which we expected a decline, getting a familiar player back…a bonius pick that can be parlayed into something else at deadline if need be….cap room and possible enticement for Kristo to sign…even if to be traded later…Ryder having a great start,etc….too many positives. Cole was great last year but some of the behaviour and comments during the lockout were reminding me of Boston and some goalie thye used to have….nowhere near that wingy but just didn;t like the vibe I got from, the comments and the way he was carrying himself this year….he was rarelyt smiling this year…something seemed diff’t

4. t1tan5 says:

I would say that this is a lateral move for this season, with dividends coming in the future. Cole is a notorious slow starter and I don’t see his poor start as any indicator for a poor season.

In this day and age, cap flexibility is a hugely important asset. While other teams will be in a mad scramble to make the lowered cap, we’ll be sitting pretty. In addition to that, we get a 3rd round pick. There are no guarantees in any draft – especially after round 2, but there are plenty of diamonds in the rough left in round 3. To sum up, we traded a top six power forward who I believe is about to start producing for a top nine sniper who is producing, a 3rd round pick in a VERY deep draft, and cap flexibility going into a deep free-agent pool where many teams will have zero room and, as a result, salaries will be inevitably lower.

5. HAB - Have A Beer says:

I like cole. He did good last year. Don’t know what happened to him this year anyway. For now I think we got the better of the deal. Ryder is 2nd in points on the team.

IMO we got a little better. I think we need one more good move up front and one more on “D” and we’d be set for a good run at the playoffs and in the playoffs.

6. Mr_MacDougall says:

Factoid*
    Ryder has 99 goals in 314 games as a Hab
    Kovalev has 103 goals in 314 games as a Hab

7. Jay_habs says:

Good move for the organization, frees up some cap space this year and for the next two years, adds a right handed sniper who can help the struggling power play, and a draft pick. This smells of Gainey

8. Dirtsteed says:

The cap savings is the real steal here. People are saying Corey Perry (or Stephen Weiss), but what are the chances? And why spend a lot on one guy as the best teams are deep and can deal with the inevitable injuries.

Would love to see some guys like this (cheaper options too):
    David Clarkson (has definitely been mentioned, and most would agree)
    Ryan Clowe (has definitely been mentioned, and most would agree)
    Ian White (pretty versatile)
    Vaclav Prospal (always seems to get his points)
    Saku Koivu (might be fun to have him back)

• Mr_MacDougall says:

@ Clowe & Clarkson YES!!

I really like what Saku brings but I think the team is set for Center. Likely see Galchenyuk move to the top line, DD and Patch on the second, and Pleks eventually moving to the 3rd. Adding a big scoring winger like Perry would a HUGE addition to the team. DD, Patch, Perry.. that is scary!

9. krob1000 says:

Ryder is the instant team leader in points…..Cole was 12th…one point up on Prust. Last year Cole and Ryder were a wash…this year they were not really close…sure COle may come on strong…likely will but Ryder is a clutch guy too. We got space a pick and I just can;t believe Bergevin got out of that contract….without giving aything up…he got paid to get out of that contract….given the Habs situation moving forward it was really brilliant.

• Bill says:

I like Ryder, he’s a good guy from Newfoundland, definitely a quality scorer. But why is this a brilliant move? Cole is not Gomez. He’s a good player, and a rare “power forward” player. Yeah, he’s off to a slow start. What else is new. I don’t think we should evaluate this trade based on today’s scoring statistics.

The Habs just essentially traded Cole for a 3rd rounder and two months of Michael Ryder. That’s a crap return IMO.

Full Breezer 4 Life

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Texas is one of 7 US states with zero income tax …though other taxes, such as property taxes are likely higher

…even if pro-rated, Cole has realized another + $ 1 million minimum over 2 years, without the headache of paying an agent’s commission

…any CPAs out there may feel free to quibble with Me :)

• Jim Edson says:

Chris , concurr !

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

Well if that is the movitation, good for him. Seems to me a hockey player making millions should choose to play for a team in 1st and with hockey crazed fans if he was passionate.

I liked Cole, but really hope money isn’t his real motivation, but then given the lockout, perhaps it is.

• Chris says:

This is always the great myth that is out there about athletes.

A former NHL player (can’t remember the article, so i can’t remember the player) was discussing the playoffs and opined that about 50% of the league’s players (and no, not just the Europeans, to save people the joke that seems to follow this avatar of late) could care less about the playoffs. Their annual salary ends at the end of the regular season, and the pay for the playoffs is a relative pittance for these guys (worked out to about $75,000 per player for the Kings last season, great money for you or I but peanuts for what amounts to a quarter of a season). I suspect this was part of the reason that the Playoff Pool in the new CBA has doubled (from $6.5 M to $13 M, and increasing by $1 M every year of the deal)…players on the winning team were making about half of the league minimum salary, pro-rated over 20 games.

You can still get injured in the playoffs, so some of these guys were just as happy to dog it and lose in the first round so as to not jeapordize their earning potential.

I’m not saying Cole is in that 50%. He’s got his Stanley Cup, so maybe it isn’t the same burning ambition it might be for a player who hasn’t earned one.

But there are more players out there that play for money only than I think most people believe.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Most of us don’t earn millions and we probably wouldn’t move for lower taxes. Very few people do.

Gerard Depardieu did but few others.

11. Sportfan says:

Just curious, but with Kaberle and Weber sitting that means what ever value they have is gone right, or at least makes it hard to trade?

12. rogieshan says:

Everyone assumes Kaberle’s contract ($4.25mil) will be the one bought out at the end of this season, but, assuming Boullion and Weber are not retained, Bergevin may opt to keep the Czech D-man and jettison Gionta and his remaining $5 million.

13. The Dude says:

Thank -you Eric Cole for your service to Les Canadiens du Montreal,YOU WERE AWESOME !

14. Pucknut says:

Now, at least, we’ll have a right handed threat for shootouts. I’m lovin’ that Ryder’s a righty

And just like that Evander Kane (another tool by the way) restores 2 goal lead for Jets! Woohoo

16. frontenac1 says:

If NAG=Dada or If Dada=NAG, then I’m all for it

17. mdp2011 says:

I have to admit I am surprised by the move, but I really hated the way Cole has been playing this season. Seems to me he might have spent too much time making “Betteman pucks” caps and dealing with union business instead of training and getting in shape for this season. Still, I am sad to see him go, but really happy they got rid of that contract. I think Dallas will regret this move next year and the year after. As for Ryder, I always liked him and always blamed Carbo for the way he handled a struggling Ryder during his last year with the Habs.

18. Bill says:

Michael Ryder is a better player than Erik Cole? Lotta guys here just looking at stat sheets, I’d say.

I don’t have a problem with Ryder, because he is what he is, but a lot of you are gonna be howling once you are reacquainted with his ultra soft, floaty, perimeter game.

• topher5468 says:

Like you did last night with Gionta’s shootout %.

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• Bill says:

I admit that when it comes to shootouts, the only thing I can go on is who puts the puck in the net the most. Stats work for that. You don’t worry about intangibles on a shootout, you know?

Full Breezer 4 Life

• topher5468 says:

To me, Gionta is snakebit, He just does not seem to have that scoring touch this season, so thats why to me, his career stats can be a bit overrated. a guy who for arguments sake is 4 out of 40, but has scored on 3 of his last 4, to me would be a better choice. Im not sure how I feel about this trade, I just can’t help but remember Ryder killing us a few years back when the Bruins swept us, he wasn’t soft or a perimeter player in that series. I guess we’ll just hope for the best. Ryder will wear the CH, so now I root for hm

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

For two months…I can live with it. Maybe PK will have a buddy in the dog house…woof woof! ;)

• helluva habs fan says:

If he pops a few and skates back, I can live with it. Certainly a fair point to make, but we do need a sniper.

• 123456 says:

I agree – recall he was minus 20 one season. I am OK with the trade because I do think ti sets the team up better fo rthe future while not taking a step back this season. I also think MB is doing Cole a favor

• Habilis says:

I don’t think he’s necessarily better, but I don’t think he’s worse either. I do think he’ll help on the PP, which sorely needs it. But what makes this deal a real winner for me are the peripherals. Getting a 3rd and the cap room immediately is a home run in my book.

• krob1000 says:

he gets all of his goals from the slot…..and in tight. He is far froma “perimeter” player….he is a trigger man and can slo pass the puck and make plays. I was very sad to see Ryder go when he left. I think having an actual righty on teh rigth wing will help as well as Cole was often forced to just drive the net as he is not able make the backhand passes on the rush….his speed and last years leadership will be missed but Ryder si every bit as good as Cole IMO and now that pacioretty and Bourque are around with Galley, Eller and Galchenyuk…Kristo and Collberg in the system…some guy named Leblanc (we have gotten so deep he is never even mentioned) …Coles last two years can be jettisoned at no loss for this year.

Bill, i completely understand your perspective. Having said that, I think this move is predicated on the next few years, also our team is lacking snipers, and perhaps Bourque is in a bad way….

I will miss COle, he was definitely one of the only highlights last year, but he did seem a bit off this year. I think he will have a good year in Dallas, but two more years at 4.5 was a big risk.

• Strummer says:

We gave up a little size/power-forward skills for a sniper-ish player with the same offensive numbers.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• twilighthours says:

I believe he’s improved in his own end, at least, since his first stint here.

It’s a curious move, though.

19. helluva habs fan says:

I bet before the season started, none of you thought that after 19 games, Max Pacioretty and Michael Ryder would be tied for the team lead in scoring with 14 points each. Cool!

20. habsguy92 says:

First bouillon, then ryder… koivu anyone?

21. Sportfan says:

Maybe Gainey wanted Cole remember he’s back in Dallas!

22. frankcasting says:

Awesome trade. Cole was done here, and we were stuck with $9M , or Gomez IV (Gionta is Gomez II, Kabarle is Gomez III)

Why wait till we suck to clean house? Do it now!!

Loving the Habs since 1965

23. krob1000 says:

The fans should welcome him back with thousands of paper airplanes when he scores his first goal!!!

24. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Who’s the next veteran with a contract to go? I would like Moen to go…not worth $1.9 million x 3years for a fourth liner…

25. boing007 says:

Cole was a power forward, running low on batteries. Ryder is a sniper, uses less energy.

Richard R
    Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

26. Sportfan says:

Newest blog was posted click below ! Thanks again for the views guys :D I hit a new high again this week. Habs fans are always the best fans!

27. HabFanSince72 says:

Violent protests in Montreal over a proposed $70 tuition increase. Meanwhile our universities are in a death spiral due to two decades of underfunding and savage spending cuts.

It’s only the Italian elections that stop Quebec from getting the coveted ‘dumbest democracy in the world’ award for this week.

28. shootdapuck says:

Cole clearly was not happy.

New CBA and he talks retirement.

Then he complains about schools!

Got to reckon the combination of New CBA escrow and Quebec taxes were weighing on Cole.

He as a US citizen wanted to be back in the USA!

Waived his NTC, and if you believe MB that the deal was put together quickly Cole didn’t waste any time agreeing to move!

29. krob1000 says:

How happy does this deal make Danny Kristo…happy enough to sign?

30. Bill says:

@donmarco: lol, hey, I could always name the puppy Cole.

31. twilighthours says:

So besides the obvious (salary dump, potential pp improvement), any other reason why this might have happened?

Gallagher has been great, and it looks like he’s stolen some of Cole’s minutes. If the team decided that cold was destined for the third line with Eller, then perhaps ryder is a better fit – he is the trigger man to 81/27′s passes.

I also don’t really care for Coles game in his own end. He’s generally good at being the off-winger, but this is stil a disadvantage. Add to that the several glaring mistakes leading to goals so far this year, how much worse can Ryder be defensively?

Not sure what to make of this trade yet. Gotta let it percolate.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Good point about Gally…he’s been doing what others (e.g. Cole) should have been doing more…

• Mattyleg says:

As I mentioned below, there’s the possibility that he was knocking heads with Therrien.

I have no proof, but Cole’s comments during the lockout showed that he was someone who spoke his mind. If this carried over into the dressing room, I can’t imagine it going down well with Therrien, especially coming from someone who was underperforming.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• ed says:

Cole was clearly unhappy. Besides the lock out, which clearly pissed him off a lot, I believe Cole was very happy playing with Max and Desharnais last season.

After all, Cole scored 35 goals and must have been ecstatic with that result.

I think Cole resisted the line changing.

Then Therrien and Bergevin stepped in and management decided to make a change.

Cole was signed by Gauthier, and Bergevin might have doubted that signing since his reign began.

That`s the way I see it.

But I am totally speculating all the way.

32. Chris says:

Corey Perry signing with the Habs would make me puke in my mouth to almost Gomezian levels.

Gomez was sickening because I felt like he was done.

Perry, on the other hand, is a very good hockey player. But he’s a guy that would make you absolutely hate cheering for your own team because he is such a punk on the ice.

• deuce6 says:

He’s a dick off the ice, as well..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I think you’ll have a hard time finding anyone to agree with you the day after the signing :-).

• Chris says:

No question!

And I can’t even say that Perry isn’t Bergevin’s kind of guy, because Bergevin was able to tolerate a similar talented clown in Patrick Kane.

• twilighthours says:

Kids can change, you know

• Chris says:

Oh they can.

But I’ve seen him interact off the ice as recently as this past summer, and he’s still a tool.

And I’ve watched him play a few times in Anaheim (I still pull for Saku and Teemu), and he still pulls the same crap that drove me nuts when he was an OHL star for London.

He’s the king of the back-pedalling punch, the cross-check from behind in the scrum and the third man in. These are all Perry specials.

He’s the antithesis of a classy hockey player. But with that all vented, he is also one hell of a hockey player if you can get past his nonsense. I kept hoping that he would bust in the NHL, but deep down knew that the bugger would turn into an NHL star.

Ah well.

My two all time favourite players are Guy Lafleur and Bobby Hull, both are definitely tools, but loved watching them on the ice. Perry is neither, but he has what the Habs lack in todays NHL.

Let me guess he reminds you of those terrible 20 year olds you are forced to deal with at school?

• Chris says:

Nah, I just can’t stand guys that launch their stick like a harpoon at an opponent in pre-game warm-ups like he did here in Guelph as a junior.

In any rink but London’s, mention Perry’s name (or that of his brother, who is also a Grade A idiot) and you will get some choice expletives. Not a popular guy. :)

I would love a Eutopian world where we only have “good” guys on our team, and i think Gainey tried that. The NHL has laid down the law that this is not the way to succeed. He is gritty, tough/cheap and scores goals. We need that to win, in my opinion.

33. krob1000 says:

I love this deal…..we get a better player for this year IMO, we get a 3rd round pick and we get ut of those last two years of Cole’s contract that were the scary ones…this was supposed to be the other good year of Cole’s…he came to camp out of shape or not ready…no time to waste.

Bergevin cleared future space, got a player that is every bit as good for this year, opened up a roster spot or leaves himself the option of signing Ryder if he likes him.
    The 3rd pick and Ryder’s Ufa Status give us another carrot to dangle if they team believes it is in the mix for this year in the playoffs…or if something happens and it were to fall apart it gives more bait to trade.
    Cole also likely got under management skin during the lockout and then you look at how he performed…not a great combo with his remarks.
    Last year though was incredible and you have to credit him with some of Patches development. He had a great year and for thta I will remember him but I am very happy with this trade.

34. DomKing says:

Yes, this opens a spot for one of our young wingers for next year. Either Kristo, Leblanc or Bozon. More importantly, this opens up cap space for our one glaring weakness: center. We are going nowhere with Desharnais and Pleks as our top two centers. I predict MB goes after Ryan O’Reilly big time. Nathan Beaulieu, Desharnais and a 2nd ought to do it.

:-))

35. Haberoooo13 says:

If it remains 3-1 Jets, will Mount Tortarella erupt?

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

36. mike3131 says:

Wow Marc Bergevin is quite the genius eh? To those that think this is a bad trade, I’m sorry but you just don’t know much about hockey. IMO, we could be getting Jake Dowell + 3rd round pick in return and come off as winners because at the rate Erik Cole is declining, he might not even be worth the 3rd round pick by his final contract year (exaggeration, but still). I’m happy we were able to dump his contract so that we will have loads of cap space going into July 1st that will bring a deep UFA pool. We are no longer handcuffed by long-term contracts (Kaberle will be bought out), so MB has plenty of options for the future. Too bad Cole did not work out for us this year, but as MT and MB say: No Excuses!
    My only criticism of MB so far is signing Frankie Bouillon instead of Bryan Allen. If we had signed Allen to a 2-3 year deal, it would prevent us from rushing Tinordi while keeping the roster competitive. But hey! There are many reasons why I’m not an NHL GM and Marc Bergevin is! :D

ttps://twitter.com/mikelangerr

37. Bill says:

When you’re first in the conference you don’t make salary dump deals with one of your best players.

38. otter649 says:

So is Cole for Ryder with Cole not playing so well like Kaberle for Spacek – Two year contract for an expiring one…….

I am liking this Bergevin feller more and more. Man… if he can unload Kaberle we’re going to have to erect a statue or name a street after him.

40. Chris says:

For what it’s worth, I think this is a neutral move.

Like Ed, I find it a bit puzzling that a first place team deals a top-6 forward who has a history of slow starts. But I was a bit concerned that Cole had this coming with some of his antics in the off-season.

Everything about the Habs administration seems to speaking to a commitment to being professional on and off the ice. Cole, with his musings about Hamrlik and his “Puck Bettman” hat to the ill-advised comments about retirement 2 years into a 4 year deal, drew Bergevin’s attention, and his slow and lethargic start probably sealed the deal.

Michael Ryder was one of the best Bruin forwards in their Stanley Cup run despite playing on their third line. Because of that, I’m okay with this deal. They needed a shooter for the sputtering power play, and Ryder can do that. There is probably a bigger need for a net presence, something that Ryder will not bring, but guys who can fill that role are not generally available.

• twilighthours says:

Maybe cole isn’t a top 6 forward any more.

• Chris says:

Maybe he isn’t, but I have a hard time buying that his fall from grace would happen in one year.

Lots of veterans got off to ugly starts this season, and part of Cole’s struggles have to also be put on Pacioretty and Desharnais, who were equally bad for the first 10 games. Cole just drew our ire because of his silliness in the off-season, but he was hardly the only dog on that line.

I think the more likely thing is that he wasn’t a Bergevin-signed player, and many have commented on this site and elsewhere that those players that weren’t signed by Bergevin should probably avoid complacency with the new GM. :)

• Ozmodiar says:

Yeah, let’s blame Pacioretty, who’s scoring at a clip of almost a point per game.

• Chris says:

Pacioretty was not very good at all for the first 10 games this season. He was getting some cheap power play assists, but he was very much off his game. He’s back on it now.

I’m not blaming Pacioretty for Cole’s lack of production. But linemates that were struggling was an issue for all three guys, hence the demise of that line.

• Ozmodiar says:

He did have 8 assists after 10 games, which is still pretty good. Production, at least.

Sorry, i thought you were blaming Pacioretty for Cole’s struggles because of this line:

“…part of Cole’s struggles have to also be put on Pacioretty…

• Chris says:

I think you can argue that the lack of points for all three guys can be laid at the feet of the fact that all three guys were playing poorly.

This doesn’t blame Pacioretty…it points out that it was a contributing factor. Pacioretty was the best of the three, and I felt he made some very intelligent plays on the power play. But he was noticeably slower for those first few games, and he was losing races and battles all over the ice.

Cole looked disinterested. That was entirely on him.

• HardHabits says:

I don’t think this is a lateral or neutral move at all. Ryder is providing a better game than Cole is at the moment, at least statistically, I haven’t seen any Stars games so I’ll take the numbers for the time being… and as Hobie Hanson and others point out, this is more about clearing up cap space for next season.

This is also MB laying down his stamp on the team. This is an interesting move so all we can do is sit back and wait and see how the new pro scouting team does. Many people have suggested that this was one of the weakest aspects of the BG/PG era.

• twilighthours says:

This might set you off, but I’m sure there are statistical arguments about trade value being made somewhere around here n the web…

• Chris says:

On the ice, I think it is largely neutral.

Montreal trades one streaky goal scoring right winger for another.

Ryder’s been playing well the past few years, and I really liked how he adjusted to his role in Boston. He really helped drive that third line (with Chris Kelly and Tyler Seguin) that was so good in the playoffs that season.

Off the ice, the trade makes sense on all sorts of levels, most important of which is it gives Bergevin the flexibility he needs to build his team. I think Bergevin has done a masterful job freeing up roster spots and unloading players that don’t fit with his vision.

Cole did a lot of things well, including helping Desharnais and Pacioretty reach their NHL potential. The players obviously did the work, but Cole was a great mentor for them.

• krob1000 says:

I gibve it a slight upgrade for this years team..and a huge plus for getting the extra pick…that could net something else at the deadline possibly if need beor be aprt of another deal. The fact we get out of those last two years and lose nothing…I thiunk gain something this year…make it a very positive deal when all things are considered. I was thinking we might realy be in troublke by next year with the Cole deal and with all of the ikids doing so well this miove makes some sense….and just may be a little incentive for one Danny Kristo to sign as well

41. Mattyleg says:

Awesome.
    I loved Erik Cole last year, but wasn’t completely happy with his off-season chirping. Then, when he started looking lacksadaisical, I started getting more uneasy.

Seems like Cole was a good guy, but Michel Bergeron said that he was someone who really blew hot and cold, and I can see him knocking heads with Therrien.

I really loved Michael Ryder when he was in Montreal, and I always thought he’d got a raw deal here. The one thing that bugged me about him was that he didn’t move his feet and got lazy sticking penalties. Hopefully Therrien will knock that out of him, or that he’s outgrown that.

Welcome back, my son. Ye’ll do well here, baye.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. Danno says:

Canadiens netminder Carey Price tweeted out to his former teammate shortly after hearing the news.

“Salut Erik. Gonna miss ya brother,” Price wrote.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

43. Old Bald Bird says:

Cole was great last year, and I sure don’t think he’s finished. I don’t mind Ryder, just not on the 4th line again please.

44. deuce6 says:

Guys, this isn’t a pre cursor for more deals..Its a player wanting out and us getting value in return for him..

I doubt we will see anything else until the trade deadline..We don’t want to mess with the chemistry too much…Ryder is soft spoken and knows how to conduct himself…He isn’t going to upset the chemistry in the room..He will gel nicely..

6 picks in the top 90 in a deep draft..*Drool*

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

45. HabFab says:

This being in first place is tiring.
    Constantly having to check the standings and scores. Cheering for teams I normally give two frigs for… go Jets! go Panthers!

46. Hobie Hansen says:

People keep mentioning Perry but I’d rather Getzlaf. They’re the same age “27″ and imagine Getzlaf and Galchenyuk together for the next 5 or 6 years down the middle.

Perry’s 50 goal capabilities are remarkable but a dominant #1 center seems harder to come by. Both are UFAs and both play a physical game as well. Getzlaf is who I’d be targeting this summer.

47. otter649 says:

One good thing about getting Ryder The Habs have someone who can score in The Shootout other than DD#51…..

48. Bill says:

Are you frigging kidding me??? How am I telling my kid … here goes.

49. Garbo says:

At the end of the day, we got Cole’s best year out of him, that I doubt he will ever repeat, and cut him loose to free up money.

Ryder is no slouch either, putting up similar numbers to Cole. Always loved him in Montreal.

Likely a situation where both players just needed a new environment.

Although I would be shocked if there isn’t more to this story, as I stated on the other thread. You don’t just dump your “best” player because he’s having a slow start or multi-game slump.

Someone wasn’t happy with him, other than his performance.

50. jmsheehy19 says:

Am I the only one that thinks this opens up a spot for Kristo more so than Perry?

51. The Jackal says:

I really hope we sign Perry this summer now.
    We have the cap space and we’ve made some good moves, we’re an attractive team, and I’m sure Saku, despite the abrupt end to his tenure here, has good things to say, and if he grew up a fan, he may want to play for this favourite team!
    That would be marvelous, I can already imagine it.
    Man…. Perry, Galchenyuk, and Gally – would be a ridiculously strong line!

Let’s entertain this idea – how much would you give perry a year, 6, 6.5? For how many years, 5, 6?

52. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is Gio next ?

53. habitual says:

Didn’t Cole make some noise during the lockout about not wanting to play next year?

54. calvee123 says:

For fr****k Sakes!!! Piss me off…damn I liked Cole… I’m pissed off ….

55. I positively love how the Habs are stockpiling draft picks. As we stand now, this summer we’ve got:

- One 1st
    - Three 2nds
    - Two 3rds
    - One 4th
    - Two 5ths
    - One 6th
    - One 7th

I bet those numbers will be boosted further before the draft, with Weber, Kaberle sitting in the press box as attractive trade bait.

56. The Dude says:

Could of got someone we NEEDED for Cole like a Ryann Clowe”exactly what we needed” but No! This reminds me of getting back with my X’s “in this case from Texas!” The next day you know you’ve done a bad thing!

57. ABHabsfan says:

Here is my (hopefull) theory: clears some cap space for next year in order to fit Cory Perry in. I actually think they should attempt to get him before the deadline this season and sign him before he’s UFA.
    Ryder has always been a finisher/scorer, could be that 44 shots and 1 goal to show for it prompted a change as well. That is pure speculation, of course.
    Best of luck to Cole, brilliant year last year. I enjoyed watching him in Habs colours

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

I have been all over the Corey Perry to Montreal bandwagon for a little while now. I have no idea if realistic, but it certainly seems/sounds like Anaheim can’t afford both Getzlaf and Perry.

Perry did grow up a Habs fan, and I suspect loves the limelight, which Montreal would provide.

I have no idea if this is the master plan, but seems to me MB is making cap room for something… can’t just be the DD contract he has to negotiate this summer.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Way more realistic now…

• Habfan17 says:

As much as I like DD, I think he will be moving too. They nned more size up the middle and unless they will be trading Pleks or Eller, they need to make room at centre. Galchenyuk will be at centre, probably next season. DD needs to be resigned and he will expect close to the same money as Patches got on his bridge contract. Better to go after Perry as a UFA and add more picks or a crease clearing defenceman for DD. I would wait until the off season or the trade deadline.

Habfan17

• ABHabsfan says:

Burly you and I have been on this for a few weeks now. We’re starting a groundswell!
        So does Gally keep the coveted #73?

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

58. Habitant in Surrey says:

…in an hour and a half We have produced almost 470 comments …is that a new record ? :)

59. habsnyc says:

Now I know what it feels like to be on the other side of a Gainey trade. It is so awesome to know that at this very moment a thousand Dallas Stars fans are face palming. Meanwhile, from miles away I can see the glow of joy that has enveloped the island of Montreal.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

In fairness Nieuwendyk is the GM, and Cole is a very good player. This trade was about Montreal creating cap space and picking up a finisher. I suspect more moves to follow.

• habsnyc says:

Cole is toast. That fourth year will be a boat anchor. Stars are an old age home. Montreal is getting the cap flexibility they need. I even have a feeling that third round pick will bring a quality player. More moves that free more dollars would be awesome.

Montreal will have eight expiring contracts on the 23 man roster, if we include buying out Kaberle. I guess they could trade Bourque though he is playing well and his contract is tolerable.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Habfan17 says:

Nieuwendyl is trying to corner the market on over 32 veterans with the help of Gainey. I am surprised Gauthier didn’t have the Blackhawks trading for him. It would have been nice if the Habs could have gotten Stalberg, then they could have moved Bourque to the right side when he is back from the concussion. That is where he scored 27 goals twice

Habfan17

60. habsfan0 says:

Winnipeg 2 Rangers 0.

Torts is thinking about his TSN gig again.

61. Whatever says:

Was this all about Cole being worried he wouldn’t be able to read restaurant menus?

2-0 Jets over Rangers, woohoo, see ya Fonzie!

63. HabFanSince72 says:

Ed asks “if Ryder is so valuable why would Dallas trade him away?”

You could ask the same question about the stock market. Every day billions of transactions occur in which the two parties place different monetary value on pieces of paper. If all evaluations were optimum there would be almost no trading.

So that’s answer #1: someone is making a mistake.

In the case of hockey players of course there are other answers. A trade might suit both teams if they are looking for different things.

64. NLhabsfan says:

Nice to have the Newfoundlander back..Sorry to see Cole go but somehow he has lost his interest this year.Something about returning next year because of the new players agreement upset him.He did mention early retirement.. Anyone else hear this.

65. Danno says:

Survey:

Cole for Ryder and a pick

1 – Good Trade for the Habs

2 – Bad Trade for the Habs

3 – Not sure

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

66. Haberoooo13 says:

Late to the party here so I may have missed this: Anyone think Ryder could be dealt before the deadline for another pick? I ask because MB’s plan is more long-term than short term.

Na Na Na Les Canadiens Les Canadiens

67. Les Canayens says:

First Bouillon, now Ryder…the 2005 Montreal Canadiens called and they want their roster back.

68. 25insight says:

PEERY, PERRY, PERRY!

We’ve got the MO-NY!

PERRY, PERRY, PERRY

We’ve got the MO-NY!

sing it with me guys :D

69. mrhabby says:

Seems like mb is the kind of guy you cannot fool…if players are not into it you could very well be moved and for me this is refreshing . He is thinking long term for sure.

70. MacHabFan says:

Why would we want Camelleri back? I hope he retires with Calgary.

And you ask why?

71. chanchilla says:

This should be a nice boost to our powerplay, which despite starting off well has been looking a lot like the powerplay of last year. MB worked some black magic to get a third out of this as well!

72. ont fan says:

I got the feeling around here that Cole probably wouldn’t have a whole lot of takers. The deal was 10 days in the making and you have to think Dallas was the driving force. Sometimes you grab a deal to get younger, a pick and short term contract.

73. Ozmodiar says:

This team has had ONE passenger since the season started….and now he’s gone. See ya!!

Hey, Pacioretty has company as the Habs leading scorer!

74. Xkhann says:

Oh yeah and did I mention the prior chemistry with pleks and markov? Should be good for the power play. And that 3rd rounder will be made to gold by this new front office in a deep Draft.