Habs’ day: Brossard to Raleigh, with video

Weber

The Canadiens practiced Tuesday morning then did some dressing room scrums at the Brossard training complex before busing out to Trudeau Airport for an early-afternoon flight to Carolina.

First video: The epic fight in the crowd during the third period of the Monday night game.

NB: This erupted in seats that cost $150.

Prior to hitting the ice for 11:30 practice, a group of players kicked around a soccer ball on the green turf section of the Bell Training Complex.

Kickers (and headers) included Erik Cole, Mike Cammalleri, Josh Gorges, Brian Gionta, Carey Price, Yannick Weber, Travis Moen and Alexei Emelin.

•  •  •

Andrei Kostitsyn and Chris Campoli skating on the far rink.

Hal Gill with the main squad.

And Andrei Markov is wearing a regular white jersey, which means he’ll scrimmage.

•  •  •

Jacques Martin doing a lot of yelling.

1. habMAINEac says:

It is absolutely pathetic to see people like “franchise31″ and “Alexandra” make comments so idiotic that one can not help but sit there and shake his/her head. References to not being cultured, or the witness protection program (??!!) and other such topics on this site truly show how low people can get.

As a former resident of Montreal who now lives in the Northeast USA, AND also as a Habs fan I have to say I am ashamed of both these people for opening their mouths, making the rest of us smell their breaths. I suggest for them to buy a bottle of mouth wash, to remain within the confines of their narrow minds, and take their superiority complex battles elsewhere.
    Go HABS Go!!!!!!

Mediocre teams work at their best; teams seeking excellence strive to do better.

2. The_Franchise31 says:

Hey Alexandrea, up in Canada we don’t tolerate racism so when someone is yelling very offensive things and is taunting the ppl around him do something about it, we’re going to do it! And you’re laughing at what our tax payers are paying for? You do realize your taxes are going towards keeping a baby killer you set free last year safe in witness protection right?!?! My god I’m happy I’m canadian

3. kmachabs27 says:

semin for gomez?

4. habsfan0 says:

Boone must be into time travel as the captions all read 23/11/11…and it’s only 22/11/11! Must be engrossed in that new Stephen King novel as I am…

• Mike Boone says:

Hey, it’s all I can do remember where I am at any given moment …

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Alexandra says:

For the uncultured/pacified folk up in Montreal, when you see a person being pummeled you intervene. In the States, this response is often taught at a young age, and it is at the least the humane course of action. Just do unto others……..
        Furthermore, as taxpayers I am sure you have a modicum of concern when your police department spends nine months invesigating a hockey play, but decides upon arrival to a violent scene and with no attempt to consider opening an investigation, that no charges will be filed.
        Culture will come to you…but you too must do your part.
        And Boone, please make my day and tell me you’re now a converted Yankee fan.

5. G-Man says:

I agree there is bias, but just because the refs are from Ontario or elsewhere doesn’t really mean much. You are flogging an opinion piece- commentary- much like what is going on here. This is the second time I’ve seen your link, btw.

6. JohnBellyful says:

Anyone see that item in today’s Star about the Florida Panthers playing strip shootout at the end of practice Tuesday? Each time a shooter failed to score, he had to remove a piece of equipment.
    (A variation of this was played a week earlier, in real life, when Boyes deked Price out of his jockstrap in a shootout.)
    Maybe the Canadiens should follow the Panthers’ lead and insist each time a player misfires, shoots wide, or fails to score on a breakaway IN A GAME that he remove a piece of equipment when he returns to the bench. One more incentive to score, I should think.
    “Darche! On a breakaway! He’s in all alone! Heeeeeee’s…stripped of the puck on a terrific play by the Senator defender. And now he’s stripping on the bench. There goes his last shin pad! Darche will likely spend a bit less time on the power play now, wouldn’t you say, Fripper?

7. nejad123 says:

Why did those fans fight??

I hated every minute of training, but I said, “Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.”
    Muhammad Ali

8. Psycho29 says:

A caller to Melnick’s TSN990 show was sitting a few rows behind that brawl last night.
    He said that it was 4 Bruins fans, and as the night progressed (or regressed?) the comments from them got worse and racist comments were being said about PK Subban.
    The guy in the black leather jacket warned them….the comments continued…..and then he snapped.
    Anyhow that was his take on it, for what it’s worth!
    Melnick commented that maybe the guy in the leather would look good in a Habs’ sweater :-)

9. TOP DAWG says:

Sup with the date on the vid.

Nov 23/11? LOL

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

I could not help noticing that no one was going to stand in Sid the kid,s way last night. He had the ice to himself and had great game skating around by himself. No one wanted to be the one who put’s him out again.
    That will change in a couple of games for sure.

11. HabsFansince49 says:

Just a couple of comments as I read through the posts. Because I or anyone else doesn’t agree with what a coach is doing or even doesn’t like what he is doing or worse of all doesn’t understand what he is doing, this DOES NOT MEAN YOU HATE THE PERSON! I didn’t like the way Bob Gainey managed; but I don’t know him. I never met him. The same is true about Martin. There are so many things he does I don’t like or don’t understand, but I don’t hate him. I just wish he wasn’t coaching the Habs.
    And does anyone know the status (the truth I mean not the PR babble) on AK46? Could have used him last night.

12. Neutral says:

I think this would be four pretty good lines when AK returns

Max-Pac Pleks Cammy
    Ak Desharnais Cole
    Moen Gomez Gionta
    Darche Eller Nokelainen

• Bob_Sacamano says:

I can do better:

Cammalleri Plekanec Cole
      Pacioretty Eller Kostitsyn
      Moen Desharnais Gionta
      Nokelainen Gomez Darche

Eller needs decent linemates and he´ll produce. Not reuniting him with Kostitsyn would be really stupid. On the fourth line White for Darche when available.

• nejad123 says:

Mac-Pac dd cole
      cammy pleks gio
      ak eller moen
      white nokelainen blunden
      hahaha

Muhammad Ali

13. chilli says:

Interesting stat of the day, Madman Bergeron outscoring Lecavelier and St Louis…

17 pts. +7

PK 8 pts. +0

Ahh, the memories….

Tre

• Jordio-oh says:

Not much interesting about those stats given that its only 20 games into the season.

I’ve got this weird feeling Kris Versteeg is not going to outscore Steve Stamkos this season. Therefore, its not interesting that Versteeg is currently ahead of Stamkos in points.

14. Bripro says:

Did anyone see Gionta take a run at Chara last night, and bounce off?
    Didn’t even lose his footing.

15. Danno says:

Listen folks, I’m a good guy and I’m trying hard.

OK. Where’s my $7.5 million?

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

16. HabsRepresente says:

How did that fight even break out anyway?
    and when is kostistyn returning?

17. Chuck says:

What started that fight? Did a Bruins fans urinate on a Hab fan again?

18. Curtis O Habs says:

I hope that was a Broonz fan getting the shat kicked out of him.

The health status of Andrei Markov progresses. The Canadiens defenseman got the green light by doctors to train with contacts.

Injured his right knee, Markov has not played a single game since November 13, 2010.

The Russian will accompany the club to make the trip this week in Raleigh (Wednesday) and Philadelphia (Friday). No date has been disclosed about his return to play

Andrei Kostitsyn will also take the plane. Coach Jacques Martin is not expecting to see his attacker to return to play until at least Saturday, facing the Penguins.

On the other hand, Frederic St-Denis is still with the team at the moment, although Hal Gill appears to be able to make a comeback against the Carolina Hurricanes on Wednesday.

Coach Jacques Martin has not wanted to confirm the return of the giant, after the veteran defenseman had himself spilled the beans to reporters.

Martin said only that he has 21 players in health care availability and will take a decision on Wednesday.

20. wd40 says:

Damn those video highlights are from the FUTURE.

Apparantly next week Selection Roster for Team Canada World Jr.’s is out. Hopefully we can watch 2-3 Future Habs over the Christmas Break.

22. filincal says:

Some in Calgary saying Iginla might be on the move (haven’t we heard that before?).
    I’m sure he’d be cheaper to get than Nash. And it’s just the type of hard-nose skill player the Habs need.

23. naweed235 says:

Anybody have a link to a video on whatever happened in the crowd last night?… Or simply explain to me what happened… Thanks

Kyle Turris, 2.8 mill over 2 years. Let the trade speculation begin as to where he is going.

25. cuzzie says:

Supposingly the city of Laval is going to build an arena complex, potential home of the bulldogs. Been looking all over the net can’t find any info. Anyone know anything?

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

26. habsnyc says:

Montreal’s +3 goal differential tells me they are not getting blown out when they lose. When their regulars return to the ice, they should make up ground on their rivals.

Price is showing great form. Pax is tied for third in even strength goals and fourth in the league in shots. If he continues to convert at an average rate, he will likely eclipse 30 goals which is a great milestone for his first full season. If he has any success on the powerplay he could score 40 goals. Instinctively, I feel that Pax is being underutilized and could contribute more if he had additional ice time especially during special teams and when starting in the offensive zone.

I am surprised that Gionta is still scoring at this pace. He turns 33 two months.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

27. Say Ash says:

Was Gomez “trying” today? I gotta know.

Had sweat on his brow.

• Ali says:

Yes he gave his 110% and everyone really thinks he’s a swell guy and, well, gosh he just makes me giggle with his wit so lets be nice to him guys!

• VancouverHab says:

Gomez didn’t score so he’s ‘not trying’ or ‘not useful’? Are you guys for real?

Faceoff wins, successful puck transition from defense to offence, puck recovery, and set-ups of scoring chances. That’s what he does, that’s what he did. We have OTHER GUYS who are supposed to do the scoring at the end of all that.

Why is this basic hockey concept so hard to grasp?

• G-Man says:

Stop stating the obvious. The others will spontaneously combust.

• Say Ash says:

Hey, I’m trying.

• Bob_Sacamano says:

Funnily enough all these things usually don´t lead to anything. Calling him useless is as ridiculous as always blaming his linemates. Well, when you accept his blind passes and the fact that he´s possibly the worst shooter in the league, you might be able to appreciate him. Hey and when it comes to points he´s tied with Crosby!

I think he´s a good fourth liner, probably still okay on the third with the right linemates but he should not play more than 15 minutes and I hope that Martin finally takes him off the PP when Markov is back.

• J_P says:

ahhh, so how come every time a player is put on his line their production immediately declines?

28. habfan53 says:

I posted the following on the last link but I guess everyone is here now

I find it funny that with all of the complaning of JM 77% (according to the poll ) think he is doing a good job behind the bench.
    Personally I think deserves a D- but gave him a D. Saved from an F by injuries
    Examples from last night from from the puck drop Claude Julien puts out his 4th line, great what does JM do ,puts out his 4th why not start with your best ie Cole, Pax and Deharnais or at least your 2nd best, Cammi, Pleks and Gionta.
    On the power play you want your best snipers and or lines so why does Gomez get 1 minute more playing time than Cole
    2 years from now who are the Canadiens going to lean on Gomez or Eller more likely Eller so why does he get 3 minutes less time last night (17:28 to 14:31)
    I’m not saying not to use Gomez but let him earn his time like Eller and Moen have

• Aybara says:

The point I was trying to get at earlier was that for most people, a C grade is average/below average. Your grading system is an aberration rather than the norm in Canada.

Due to this, I think the number of 77% thinking Martin is doing a good job does not accurately reflect the opinions here. I would agree with you though if you said that 31% thought he was marginally above average. Then there’s the 4% who think he is excellent, I don’t know what to say about them.

29. habsfan reduxit says:

… I find it interesting that HIO is clairvoyant enough to have video up and running after tomorrow’s practice.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

30. habs11s says:

Is it just me or does the NHL basically say

“Ladies and Gentlemen, your Sidney Crosby………………and 21 other guys no one cares about….”

____________________________________________________

• habsfan reduxit says:

… no, it’s not just you.

• habs11s says:

I was mystified on the amount of time CBC spent showing Crosby sitting on the bench and gushing over him like a high school crush.

Also, I couldn’t believe how much room he received last night from the Islanders, hell if no one was covering or hitting me, I’d probably pot a goal or two

____________________________________________________

• ceedee says:

I think the word is out — touch sid and sit for two. Jurcina gave him a half-hearted hit and was whistled for a cross-check. I don’t think that would have been blown if it had been anyone but crosby.

• canuckbot says:

Ummm…Jurcina DID cross check him. A similar call in OT last night when Cammy took some wood. Good on the refs in both cases.

31. GoalieT says:

I read some comments about Cammalleri below and wanted to get some other opinions on how he plays. If for nothing else than just to confirm or deny my assessment.

Firstly, I need it known that I like Cammy. A lot. That’s why I hate to say this, but….

Over all of the games that I’ve seen this year so far (and I’m trying to recall games from a year and two ago) I find that he almost looks terrified of any body contact. If he hears footsteps, he’ll slam on the brakes and poke at a puck that is nowhere within reach. He seems to be extremely reluctant to take a hit to make a play. More often than not it results in turning the puck over and the play is going the other way. I’m left wondering how much extra time of sustained pressure could be realized if he had gone into a boards battle with the mindset of, say, Gionta or Desharnais (by comparison).

Again, I love Cammalleri on our team. I’m just wondering if I’m seeing things the way others are, or if my head is making this up. I’ve heard it said that Cammy is, pound for pound, one of the strongest guys out there in the league. I guess with all the off-ice training and conditioning I thought he’d be a little more ferocious for the puck.

Am I way out of the crease on this one?
    Thoughts?

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

• shiram says:

My thoughts on Cammy are, he is a great sniper, but he seems to always be injured, and it affects his play alot.

Randy for HC!

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I don’t dislike him. I dislike his soft play. If you’re going float around and play like Gretzky, you’d better score like Gretzky.

• Chrisadiens says:

Ill wait to see how he performs in the playoffs before I get down on Cammy. He is getting his chances, hes just not burying them.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• 24 Cups says:

I’ve heard the “wait until the playoffs” train of thought before. It was also mentioned about Gomez during his first two years here.

The only qualifier has to be that we need some decent production out of these guys during the regular season or we might not even make the playoffs come April.

There has to be some kind of balance, especially seeing that these guys are our two highest paid players.

• GoalieT says:

I love his play-offs too. The only bummer to that is we have 4 1/2 months before that’s even on the menu. I’d like to see him engage opponents right about now.
        I don’t know if we can afford to give free passes to anyone in hopes that their play-offs will counteract their play during the year.

Ultimate Die-Hard Fan Since 1986.

T.

• Habs Notes says:

My thoughts exactly! And I too have heard about how strong he is which makes his reluctance to engage physically completely bafflling. I would be prepared to overlook his lack of physical play and consistent effort if he was on a 40-goal pace, but he’s not.

• G-Man says:

I think he’s been playing hurt all season. Thus, the “afraid of contact”.

• J_P says:

I can definitely agree. There’s definitely something seriously wrong with him. I dont know if its mental or physical, but he looks lost out there a lot of the time. Almost like he has no confidence. Yesterday, when he received a pass off a turnover, all he had to do was turn on the jets and try a move on thomas who was already respecting the shot, instead he decided to shoot, and spent so much time loading up the shot that chara was easily able to recover from his defensive gaff and lift cammy’s stick to break up the play.

I dunno what they are going to do with him. Gomez we can live without (although you wouldnt know that by looking at the ice time JM gives him), but we desperately need cammy to get into some sort of goalscoring rhythm. On top of all that, he is being paid very handsomely to score goals, so its time he starts doing it. A cammy goal yesterday could have easily been the difference between walking away with at least a point, vs walking away with another regulation loss against a northeast rival in a game that we should have won.

32. Captain aHab says:

Did I hear Gill correctly, saying that he could have gotten flesh-eating disease?

33. ceedee says:

Bruins fan here. A couple of observations about the game last night. Sure, the B’s won, but barely and without being able to muster much offense against a sorely depleted Habs D corps. The Canadiens controlled the offensive flow through probably 70% of the game. Emelin is a freaking beast, and I don’t think it will be long before forwards stop dumping the puck into his corner of the ice. Gomez played okay last night — I know he’s been getting a lot of flack up North. And Cole was arguably the best player on the ice for both teams. Thomas and Price both played well, and it’s hard to blame Price for the lone goal, which was virtually a man up situation for the Bruins resulting in an odd-man rush. All in all, this looks like it’s going to be another playoff collision course year for these teams, and nothing could be better. I have tix for the January 12 game, and the Bruins are going to need to play better than they did last night if they plan to take two points.

• allright im calling shennanigans… why is a god dayum bruins fan more level headed than most of the others here

• RGM says:

But, but the doom & gloomers here tell us that the Habs are “barely” winning any of their games and should be lucky to be even close to .500, let alone competing with the mighty Bruins. Are you telling me that other teams–even Starley Cup Charpian winners–sometimes escape with a hard-fought win over our bleu-blanc-rouge heroes and are fortunate to do so?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• ceedee says:

The only Habs game I’ve seen this year was the Isles tilt, and I gotta admit Montreal looked gawd awful. Based on last night though — and again, missing several key D — they look pretty formidable. If Eller can find a groove on that line, they will be dangerous. Pleks is always solid and if Cammilieri can find the net like he has in the past you’ve got a damn good team. Maybe not as good as Boston (sorry, I gotta say it), but definitely in the Cup mix.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Oddly enough, I turned the TV on with a little more than five minutes left in the second. The score was 3-0 already. In the game that I watched, however, we handily won 3-1 and dominated most areas of the ice. Go figure!

• RGM says:

Yeah there is a fair amount of need to have certain stars align for the Habs this year. Depending on how long the Sabres are minus Miller & Myers, it could be a very interesting 3-horse race for the Northeast this year. I hope you guys come in second. LOL

———————–
          GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
          RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• habs11s says:

If you are really a bruins fan answer these questions

What are the colours of the Boston Bruins?
      Who is the captain?
      Can you name a defencemen?
      What are the other Original Six Teams?

_____________________________________________________________

• G-Man says:

Damn! My brain just imploded again.
      Enough of the common sense from a Booins fan!

34. HabFanSince72 says:

I think Plekanec is starting to look pretty good on the point.

Is the experiment working?

• RGM says:

Like many chemistry experiments, the results aren’t always instantaneous. They may be on to something here for a short-term fix until Markov is back.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
      RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Malreg says:

We still really miss Plekanec down low and on the half-boards, but there’s still no one else to quarterback the powerplay until Markov returns.

I think he’s doing a pretty good job, and he looks more comfortable back there every game.

• J_P says:

Its getting better, but its all for not because thats going to be markov’s spot when he gets back. Cant wait to see pleks on the half boards, where he truly belongs, with markov quarterbacking from the point.

35. Hobie Hansen says:

I have to admit I’ll be S*&%%ing in my pants when Markov faces a team like Boston for the first time.

Guaranteed guys like Lucic, Horton, Thornton and a handful of others would be more than happy to go knee-to-knee with Markov in the corner. And would high-five each other in the dressing room if he were injured again.

It will be very tense for the first little while for sure.

36. Psycho29 says:

Some other takes on the brawl at the Phone Booth last night, some are the comments are……real funny.

Isn’t this Greg Wysynski guy heard on TSN-990 sometimes???

And if you need a laugh:

our own Dave Stubbs got a mention!

THe fact AK is skating is good news, I think. To have his talents in the lineup makes such a difference.

The way I see it, we have 5 forwards who can and should be finishers. AK, Cammy, Gio, Cole and Maxpac. Being able to spread this wealth amongst 3 lines is very helpful.

• kempie says:

That is very good news but I’m still holding my breath. I found all the secrecy followed by murmurs about surgery and LTIR very unnerving. I was starting to make peace with the fact that he may be done for the season. I sure hope not.

38. Greg says:

Boone could you clarify something for me? Markov is wearing a white jersey so he’ll practice, but he’s still wearing the white “no-contact” helmet or something? He hasn’t been cleared for contact has he?

39. kempie says:

Anybody else think Markov could benefit from a few games in Hamilton? If he agrees it probably wouldn’t hurt. The guy has missed a lot of games. I really hope JM doesn’t ride him for 28 minutes a night right off the bat. I’d like to see him paired with Emelin and given 2nd or 3rd pairing minutes + PP time to start.

• avatar_58 says:

I am agreeing only because I would go to every game. :D

• Gerry H says:

Wouldn’t they have to put him on waivers?

• shiram says:

There’s a clause for injured player, they can be sent down, waiver free, when coming back from an injury.
        Player has to approve though.

Randy for HC!

Yah I think within that arrangement he can only be down for 5 or 7 days, any longer and waivers come in.

If Crosby didn’t need exhibition games I don’t think Markov will. Reality is, there is probably more desperate players in the AHL looking to make a name for themselves that would target Markov than NHL players. (I probably shouldn’t say Reality, more like my thoughts)

• G-Man says:

No. Just what we need: a career AHLer taking runs at Markov.
      Emelin is coming along fine. Do not give him 1st pairing minutes yet. If it were up to me, Emelin would have been in Hamilton for the first 25 games. Diaz, too.

40. In answer to Top Dawg, who said, “Last week: Price posted a 2-0-1 record with a 0.65 goals-against average, .973 save percentage. Chew on that Thomas LOL”

Thomas is 6-0-0 with 3 shutouts, including one over Price, over the last few weeks.

41. gohabsgo25 says:

hey guys i know this is unrelated but what are the best habs apps on the i phone

i already have the canadiens app, the hockey insideout app, and also the thn habs app

because i want to get alerts of whats going on.

what apps do you guys reccomend.

42. Thomas Le Fan says:

I wasn’t expecting much from Gomez. Eller is still a project. However, I am very disappointed in Cammaleri. It’s not just the lack of production, I just don’t think he works very hard or is willing to do what he needs to do to get going. Soft and not producing is a double cammy er whammy.

• 24 Cups says:

Thomas Le Fan – I agree.

Gomez’s play between now and April will decide if he goes elsewhere next year. I don’t expect much so I’ll just take what I’m given.

Here’s the thing with Eller. He still is a project, as you have correctly stated. The real question for me is whether it’s because he hasn’t had the proper circumstance to advance or that he’s challenged skill wise when it comes to creating offense. I also wonder what impact his Koivu like penalties have on coach Martin.

As for DD, where would we be without him? There is absolutely no guy in the system to replace him at this point in time. And that includes Leblanc.

Cammy? What you see, is what you get. A streaky sniper who thankfully shows up in the playoffs. That’s countered by his scoring slumps and his total lack of play in our end of the rink.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Yeah I’m scratching my head over Eller. I mean, he looks like he should be able to score but … he doesn’t deliver. At some point, promise and payoff have to come together. I’m quite pleased with Desharnais. Works his butt off every shift. Cammy? When’s the scoring streak going to begin?

• karatekid says:

Really funny series called Gone Gomez Gone on a new site called PuckBandits. Lotsa Hab stuff, witty, and funny.

43. JoeC says:

Its good to hear that Martin is actually yelling, just wonder at who? I hope JM uses the players that are performing more then just his favorites. The system has finally started to change, but maybe JM will give up on having such blatent favorites and use the players that produce! And i wanna still see Plecks off hte point on the PP

44. LA Loyalist says:

Ok. It looks like an actual possibility that Zach Parise will become available, either in February or the summer. Obviously he is a big upgrade.

1. Is he the guy we want? (realistically – we’re not getting Crosby for Gomer, sorry to disapoint).

2. Who do we give up for him? How do we make cap room to sign him next summer?

Discuss among yourselves.

• Bryan says:

Of course he’d be “what we want”, but it’d cost way too much to trade for him at the deadline. Start with Patches+

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

• 24 Cups says:

The cap part is easy, Gomez goes to Hamilton next year and we let AK46 go in another trade for a Dman.

There are two main issues with Parise. One is that he doesn’t like to play centre. That diminishes what he could possibly bring to Montreal. Secondly, any trade would start with giving up either Subban or MaxPac. This isn’t going to be one of those Gomez, Weber, a 6th round pick and future considerations trades.

(future considerations being one of Dave Stubbs’ bowties as well as the coin deposit return on Mike Boone’s beer empties)

• LA Loyalist says:

Well, then there are no quick fixes for our problems down the middle, then are there?

We have to wait until Eller blossoms under Martin (and how likely is that?)

We have to wait until Gomez’ contract expires, because, as much as it would make me happy, he is untradeable and won’t be sent to Hamilton.

Our need for a stud center remains. No reflection on Plex, love him.

We either have to draft and wait, a la Edmonton, or build up sufficient depth in another position (D, probably) that we can make an equitable trade. Even so, many teams need stud centers. It won’t be easy.

If we had a more creative, adaptable, post-lockout coach, we could get more scoring out of the horses we have.

The only short term solution i can see (and I’m open to suggestions) is to take Martin down to the St. Lawrence, hand him a cinder block and say “Here, hold this.” :-)

• 24 Cups says:

LA – My only question is why Leblanc was switched from centre to wing. Maybe someone who follows the Bulldogs can explain.

RW is going to get kind of crowded with Gionta, Cole, AK46?, Leblanc, Kristo and Gallagher in the mix. That’s potentially four guys vying for one spot.

As for Gomez, there’s no way that Gainey would ever send a vet to the AHL. I have no idea what Mr. Gauthier would do. Buying out Gomez really doesn’t help us, so I guess we have to hope that another team like the Islanders bites and Gomez agrees to waive his no-trade contract.

• SeriousFan09 says:

Multiple scouts have voiced the thought that Leblanc lacks the offensive creativity to be an effective scoring-line pivot. Watching him a bit, I can sort of understand that but wouldn’t put myself behind that thought entirely. His shifting to the wing was somewhat forseen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
            SF09 on Twitter

• 24 Cups says:

Robert (SF99) – That description (below) also fits Eller right now. Yikes!

Aren’t you glad we are lucky to have DD here at the present moment to give us some creativity and offense down the middle:-):-):-)

• RGM says:

“That diminishes what he could possibly bring to Montreal. Secondly, any trade would start with giving up either Subban or MaxPac.”

For a pending UFA rental at the trade deadline? I don’t think even Mike Milbury would go that far.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
        RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Greg says:

Unless Parise seriously picks it up this season, I don’t think we want him. A former 90-point player who has 11 points so far this year coming off a missed season due to injury. And before you say it’s the team, he’s been playing with Kovalchuk. So I wouldn’t even discuss it unless he’s cheap (he won’t be) or he really picks his game up .

• Curtis O Habs says:

With every Columbus loss, Rick Nash becomes more available. The Habs have the assets to make that deal. A Canadian boy understands what it means to play for the Habs.

45. rhino514 says:

And yet everyone loves eller and hates Gomez. Despite a one point differential, with Gomez having missed quite a few games. Even Boone said ina game log “Eller is a top six centre. Point Final”. I mean, I see him gradually progressing…but what spell does the Dane have over everyone? he has all of one goal.

• JoeC says:

He hasnt really got any PP time, and never has linemats that are not AK.

• Richard B says:

Not me,
      I’d take Gomez over Eller anyday.
      All I see from Eller lately is one nice moved followed by a turn over. I think he has the skill but is not using it well. Last night he spent more time picking himself off the ice than he did setting up scoring chances. Gomez was dangerious and creating scoring chances all night.

Richard B

• JoeC says:

One move follewed by turn over is basically describing gomez also

• rhino514 says:

Gomez does this thing when he has the puck in the corner of the opponents end where he does an incredibly tight 360 spin and escpaes from a defender who is practically stuck to his back. I´ve never seen ANYONE able to make that move that well, ever. I´m not a fan, but I do recognize that if he plays, he HAS to play with two good snipers who can convert those types of moves.

The good thing about Eller is now he has a first good move, which he didn´t have most of last year. He´s progressing…all be it veeery gradually. Could be 3 seasons till he really comes into his own. No one really knows what his upside will be; he is a difficult to read prospect, because you see flashes, but you can´t teach hockey sense. Could end up being a decent top six very also just a decent third line centre. I don´t think he will ever be a natural goal scorer, but could be a good playmaker, and seems promising defensively. Maybe similar to Saku, top-end-wise, in numbers, but Saku brought along alot more than numbers; being good when it counted, leadership, and tenacity. And I think Saku was a force right away at twenty-one, so that´s why I think he would be Eller´s upside rather than expected projection.

• LA Loyalist says:

Eller is still a kid learning his trade. He should have been in Hamilton last year, but management had to justify trading Halak, so he played. Is Eller a sure thing? No. We’ve screwed up plenty of prospects. :-)

Gomez is an expensive veteran. His job is to set up his wingers to score. He hasn’t scored himself in what? 48 games?

Dangerous? Yeah, He’s dangerous to us making the playoffs.

• avatar_58 says:

Yeah you are right, Eller should totally have more points playing with Moen, Gomez and Darche right?

Or you know – put Eller in DD’s spot and let’s see what happens.

• rhino514 says:

Eller has been playing with Kostitsyn for a good part of the season and until Gomez came back very recently, was playing good minutes. He also spent quite a few shifts with some other good players. This habs team is deaper ofensively than last year´s so he has had at least one, and sometimes two (even DD himself, if I´m not mistaken) decent linemates to play with. En bref, he hasn´t played with the best combos, but he hasn´t played with chopped liver either.
        I also think eller is probably a more rounded player than DD, but DD is a better disher for Max Pac and Cole, and right now, he has far more offensive hockey sense, Eller still doesn´t seem to have that confidence (he´s far younger) to know what to do after that first move.

46. Habsolutely says:

Just saw the video of the scrap. Didn’t look too bad. I’ve seen scraps at the old forum during the game that were nuts… They way I see boston fans ridiculing the habs fans on the internet has been downright disgusting, just check out the stuff they say about montrealers on youtube comments. If Bruins fans think they are gonna go to the Bell Center and run their mouths because habs fans are “smurfs, and pacifists” they have another thing coming.

47. pmaraw says:

looked like both teams had a cae of the mondays last night lol sorry :|

48. TOP DAWG says:

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

49. Richard B says:

IMHO
    1) Gomez is much better than Eller. Let Gomer go back with Gionta and Moen.
    2) I love Cammy, but boy is he ever afraid to get hit. Wusses out of corners at every turn…especially on the defensive end of the ice.
    3) Markov makes this team that much better I’m tearing up thinking about him playing soon. Lets just hope the other team’s leave him alone and don’t hit him or anything violent like that.
    4) Cole reminds me of Russ Courtnal, but with talent. Why did I ever hate Eric Cole? Hummm…let me think…Was it 2006 when Cole and Ward elimiated the Habs? Funny how your perspective on a player can change just becasue of the team he plays for.
    5) Oh…and let plecks go back with Cammy.
    Richard B

• TOP DAWG says:

I remember Cammy saying that this will be the best season ever for him. UHMMMMMMM

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

• Sportfan says:

I don’t want to burst your bubble but Cole was injured the whole playoff series against us he only played the last two stanley cup final games. Remember? he had a horrible neck injury, but i agree I couldn’t stand playing Carolina cause of Cole and company and now he’s becoming one my favorite players!

• Richard B says:

may have years tangled up…I’m sure Cole played against habs in playoffs and tore it up?
        I’ll have to do some internet research.
        Sorry for the inaccurate info.

Richard B

• Sportfan says:

haha its all good maybe it was the series in 2001-2002 that cole helped Carolina beat us?? when Kevin Weekes lost a bunch of games so they put Irbe in nets and we lost the series also Theodore helped us on that one -_- i really dont miss him. The say Gaineys best trade was Kovalev i think it was getting rid of Theodore

• RGM says:

Gainey’s best trade was far and away Rivet for Gorges and a 1st (that turned out to be Max Pacioretty).

Theodore was a bum by the time we dealt him but let’s not forget that the return was David friggin Aebischer. No trade involving David friggin Aebischer is the best trade anybody has ever done, ever.

———————–
            GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is our year!
            RGM’s Movember page: http://mobro.co/RGM81

• Richard B says:

Edit 2006 for 2002.
        Man…time flys

Richard B

50. DearyLeary says:

I just want to see Desharnais stapled to the pine. Free Patches and Cole!

51. Maksimir says:

On a serious note: Habs really really need to pick up 4 points off Carol & Philly.. cause I don’t like their odds against the Pitts on Saturday.

But watch – they’ll get killed by Carol, beat Philly in a SO and knock out Pitts.. and next SUnday we’ll all be saying ‘WTF?’

52. Maksimir says:

Muah-ah-ah-ah! I am HIO – I eat all your posts! muah-ah-ah!

What I think we need is another feel good story… perhaps one about Cammilleri or Gionta now.

54. nick says:

HIO appears to be crapping the bed for some reason. Went to comment on a post, and they all disappeared.

Anyways it was regarding Eller and Moen on the powerplay…
    Eller(5P) only has 1 more point than Gomez(4P). That said, for the most part he hasn’t had the same quality of linemates Gomez has had. Moen (8P) has eight times as many points as Darche (1P).

• shiram says:

And I was saying people ask for Eller and Moen on the PP, because Gomez gets PP time, and people are sick of him. They feel anyone would do better than Gomez.

Randy for HC!

55. pants buzzed: markov given the green light for full contact

i like this more than scrimmage

56. TOP DAWG says:

Price is back to form. If it wasn’t for the couple of games were he let in the 4 & 5 goals his stats would be on par with the “Best Goalie in the world” Carey only had one bad game so far, the Avs game. Soon Price will be top 5.

“If you’re not the TOP DAWG, the view never changes”

57. shiram says:

Where did the posts go? I was replying to HFS72, and all the posts were gone when it refreshed the page.

Randy for HC!

• HabFanSince72 says:

I know.

I suggested that Geoff Molson didn’t have to do much to acquire his fortune.

Also I argued, using sound analysis of the existing data, that Moen and Eller were not good enough to play on our powerplay.

Nothing remotely controversial or offensive.