Habs counting on a rebound season from Price

No member of the Canadiens will face more pressure this season than goaltender Carey Price.

On Tuesday at the team’s annual golf tournament, Price stepped onto a raised platform near the clubhouse steps of Laval-sur-le-Lac and stared out into a familiar sea of journalists.

“Everybody is really excited to get this year going, I don’t think anybody feels added pressure at all,” Price said. “We all feel that there may be higher expectations for us (the Canadiens rallying from last in the East in 2011-12 to second place last season), but it seems to be like that every year.”

The lockout-shortened 2013 campaign didn’t end the way Price or the Canadiens would have liked. Heading into the playoffs, the goaltender lost six of his last eight starts with an .856 save percentage. In four playoff games, he posted an .894 save percentage, winning once and losing twice before suffering a second-degree sprain of his left knee’s medial collateral ligament.

But if there is concern about Price having a rebound season, you weren’t hearing it from anyone in the Canadiens family on Tuesday.

“He went through a tough patch and a lot of good goalies go through tough times,” general manager Marc Bergevin said. “It’s about maturing. Surrounding him with (new goalie coach) Stéphane Waite … will help him a lot.”

Said Josh Gorges, who knows Price better than any player on the team: “Your goalies are a huge piece of the puzzle. We expect a lot from them and we expect (Price) to be at his best. He’s trained harder this summer that he ever has and he’s got himself into fantastic shape.

“He’s been through more ups and downs in his short time in Montreal that he knows how to handle these kind of situations. We know he’s going to be at his best all year.”

Added free-agent signing Daniel Brière: “I consider myself very lucky to be part of team that has Carey Price as its goalie. I’m excited. I have no doubt that he’ll have a big season.”

The Canadiens’ rookie camp begins Thursday morning with 40 players reporting to the team’s Brossard practice facility for physical testing. The players will hit the ice Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m., and will scrimmage at 4 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. Sunday and Monday. All on-ice sessions are open to the public. Eighteen of the players at the camp are Canadiens draft picks, including three first-round selections: Michael McCarron (2013), Nathan Beaulieu (2011) and Jarred Tinordi (2010).

The Canadiens’ main training camp will open next Wednesday when players report for medicals and physical testing in Brossard.

Meanwhile, the Canadiens are selling tickets for an informal Red vs. White scrimmage on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 1 p.m. at the Bell Centre, with proceeds being donated to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic. Tickets, which cost $5 and include a free hot dog, a bag of chips and a soft drink, are available online at canadiens.com and evenko.ca or through the Bell Centre ticket office. As of Wednesday afternoon, 11,000 tickets had already been sold. The Canadiens play their first preseason game on Saturday, Sept. 15 at the Bell Centre against the Buffalo Sabres, with the Boston Bruins coming to town the next night. All seven Canadiens preseason games will be televised by RDS.

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

Habs counting on rebound season from Price, by Dave Stubbs

New Hab Murray not your typical Swede, by Pat Hickey

Habs looking to fortify foundation on defence, NHL.com

Former Hab Gomez hopes to be a mentor with Panthers, Florida Sun-Sentinel

Hockey busting out at NHL rookie camps, SI.com

KHL prepares to open its sixth season, N.Y. Times

1. morivera says:

He is terrible. Just lazy, terrible. If this guy is on the Olympic team and plays, we’d get beat by the island of borneo.

he cant win playoff series…he chokes. But Management and the media consider him so good that????? I don’t understand it. Just because he plays for Montreal..he is noticed. he is the most overrated goalie in NHL history. If he played for Columbus or Minnesota or the florida teams, you would never hear from him again.

give me Budaj, Luongo, Steve Penney, Alex Auld…anybody but Price…please god…anyone but Price…

2. dsangdhw says:

Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )
    (Discount Air jordan shoes) $36,
    (Air Max shoes) $35,
    (Nike shox shoes) $36,
    (Handbags) $39,
    (Sunglasses) $16,
    (wallet) $18,
    (Belt) $17,
    (T-shirts) $20,
    (Jeans) $37,
    (NFL/MLB/NBA)Jerseys $25,
    ( w/w/w.sheptrade.c/o/m )

3. Coach K says:

In my opinion, this is a bit of a make or break year for Mr. Price. I am a fan of his but now – a cautions one.

He’s been in the show for 6 seasons now (albeit very young for that position & with a crap team for most of it) and they’ve managed to chase 2 different goalie coaches out of town in the process. This summer Bergevin hires Waite who is a known quantity to him and by extension, knows what Waite is capable of doing in the mentoring department. He arrives armed with with a bunch of knowledge and a Stanley cup resume. There is no more room for excuses. We will shortly see if Mr. Price is the real deal and was as some say, simply a victim of circumstance (bad team, poor defence, etc.) or if Carey himself, was the root of the problem. His dad moved to Montreal to help him cope a bit better and now he has the support of a new bride close by as well. I for one, suspect that those three things are a positive and combined, should translate to a very successful season for him. Otherwise…

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

4. Irishhabsfan says:

No worries….I think everything is ok in Carey’s world. What a time to improve, sits well for the Olympics.

5. Batalla says:

Well, like all the Habs fans here, I HOPE Carey Price has a bounce-back year. But I have to admit, I am sceptical. Don’t we ask the exact same question every single year? When do we stop asking that question?

I dunno… Maybe I should “just chill out”.

6. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I’ve decided to be fatalistic about Price. May he flourish and prosper. Nothing I think, say or do has any effect, so I simply say he is not the key to the Canadiens success, which will be determined by the skaters. He is the third defenceman – just a guy on the ice who will hopefully excel.
    Ommmmmmm.
    He is not a worry. he is not a concern. He is not a player to be excited about.
    Ommmmmmm.
    How do they do that thing with sitting with their legs behind their heads? I’m trying to get past that level of enlightenment that says with age, we come to understand what Bobby Orr’s knees felt like when he was 25…

7. rhino514 says:

While many collheadedly praise the canadiens apparent strategy of giving Tinordi more time in the AHL, what more can he really learn there? He has spent a whole season there, and the intense five games he played with the habs in the playoffs are probably worth about 20 regular season games.
    Furthermore, when Emelin comes back, he won´t even have the opportunity to fill in for an injury at all, as two of Bouillon, Murray, and Drewiske will be riding the pine.
    Anyway, do posters agree that the third pairing right now looks like Murray and Bouillon to start the season?
    Or does anyone believe that either Tinordi or even Drewiske may have a bonafide chance at one of these spots? (I´m talking in the context of no injuries to start the season)

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

One season isn’t much to learn in. The five playoff games were no doubt intense and taught him a lot about himself, but there are still technical things to be picked upand worked on as he moves up. There’s a lot to be learned about the game.

• Phil C says:

I think if he is among the 6 best defensemen in camp, he will stick. They are not going to hand him a position just because he has nothing left to learn in Hamilton, he’ll have to earn it, make it impossible to send him down. The Habs have a full group of veteran defensemen, so they don’t have to take a chance with rookies.

As for the pairings, it is hard to say. They have a lot of question marks on defense.

• Maritime Ronn says:

A lot of CBA things to consider – 1 way contracts and waivers for all the others…then if Tinordi will only play 11-12 minutes on a 3rd pairing or press box duty on some nights, would he be better off playing +20 minutes in Hamilton to at least start the season?

Tinordi’s Hamilton Salary is $67,500, while all the others would be paid their NHL salary if they ever cleared waivers and played in Hamilton – Drewiske as 1 example at $625,000.

When Emelin gets back (???), and if we don’t have multiple injuries, depth Dmen with NHL experience are always in demand.
      Things will play themselves out…

8. spirek says:

hi guys,

what are you thinking about getting Dominic Moore, during the trade deadline? If he stays healthy etc etc

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

‘Are you confident that Carey Price will have a rebound season in 2013-14?’

…No ! …not ‘confident’, but hopeful

…hopeful also that Stephane Waite is the Guru to motivate and advise Carey to another level

• shootdapuck says:

Hey Chris,

Long time!

Thought you might be interested that grandson of the Red Bull inventor is on the run from the cops here and said he went to Singapore on “business” and caught the flu and couldn’t appear in court.
      Been dodging the law for a year after killing a cop with his Ferrari in a hit and run dragged the cop under the car 1/4 mile.

Whole country in an uproar over the privileged getting away with murder. Oh ya he compensated the family of the 25 year old cop with $94K US. Big spender!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…welcome back Roy …are You hopped on Kratingdaeng anticipating the new season ? :)

…yes, I’ve read about the bad boy …is Singapore willing to extradite ?

…money talks everywhere

…have You stayed in Thailand all this time or out and about ?

• shootdapuck says:

Been here for the duration! Rainy season now its pretty dark and dank at the moment.

That spoiled brat hasn’t got many friends, even the cop who tried to brush the incident under the table has been arrested!

Looks like a punk anyway!

As far as the Habs go I just hope that Murray isn’t the huge mistake I think he is.
          Saw him play in Phoenix last season and he is slower than a glacier!
          Best thing was that MB resisted what I am sure was massive pressure from the Allo Police media to bring back Yappierre.
          He’s sticking to his “character” philosophy thank God!

=================================================
          The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
          “Le game est tous de hard work”
          ” I have a pet peeve”

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

PK Subban, April 2013:

“ ‘It’s very easy now for people to speak positively about our team and about my situation because of the way we’ve played this season,’ Subban told sportsnet.ca during a candid one-on-one conversation.

‘But I don’t forget the people that said that I’ll never play in a Habs jersey again or that I’m selfish or that I’m greedy or that I’m confused. I’m thinking I’m a lot better than what I actually am.’

‘I don’t forget those things, and maybe those comments and those people are the reason why we’re having such a great season this year.’ ”

…Are there any Dr. Phils or Dr. Pinskys in da house (HIO) to psychoanalyze ? :)

…silly Me, of course there are ! :)

11. The Jackal says:

@UCE

First, sorry HIO, for using a public message for this, but either I did not see the private message option, or there isn’t any.

UCE! I was wondering if I could message you for some quick fantasy football advice? I just had my draft today and I got the first overall pick. I took AP and a few other good players, but after that I kind of relied on pure rankings to help me along. I was hoping I could talk to somebody about roster management, and maybe find some good sources that would serve a fantasy football 101 crash course.

Please let me know if you wouldn’t mind giving me a few tips and looking at my roster. Feel free to tell me to buzz off, I won’t take it personally and I understand if you’re not up to it.

Anyhow, let me know, and I appreciate your consideration of my request.

Thanks!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

12. The Teacher says:

Only question I have is why the heck carey hasn’t been working with the new regulation pads already. Why wait so late and start behind everyone. Makes no sense.

13. Sportfan says:

Kadri is such a loser, I hope he misses the whole season, he played half a season that’s all, prove yourself you punk, cause right now you don’t deserve squat.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Stevie.Ray says:

Someone tweeted something interesting the other day.

The Leafs bought out Grabovski after 48 bad games.
      The Leafs won’t give big money to Kadri after 48 good games.
      The Leafs gave Bernier big money after 14 NHL starts.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That kid really needs to get off Twitter, be quiet, and let his agent do the negotiating. Getting into an argument with Bob McKenzie isn’t wise at all, he might be one of the few reporters who actually has the public’s affection. Calling him “bobo” on top of that is really, really uncalled for. It might be a typo, nothing worse than that, no disrespect may have been intended, but he should correct that right now if it is, and take the time to spell the gentleman’s name properly. He’s “Mr. McKenzie” to you Nazem, or even maybe “Bob”, but not “bobo”.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Have to say PK handled it better than Kadri. Then again, Kadri’s punk attitude that is noticeable on the ice is also coming out off the ice.

Leaf fans must know what we went through with PK.

Edit: I think in PK’s case, though, many of us felt that out of all players he would be worth the gamble of a longterm contract. Who knows in the end? Maybe PK’s bridge contract will make it easier internally to give out other bridge contracts in the future.

• Sportfan says:

Its funny, because a lot of Leaf fans look to the bridge contract and are saying its fair for Kadri too. Then of course he says people should stop saying that, what is it hurting you? Leaf fans will get tired of him quickly I could see the Leafs possibly Seguining him out of Toronto.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The Jackal says:

Whatever happens, I’d like the Leafs to lose him and Franson.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

14. Sportfan says:

Oh really? Imagine if he took over from Feaster? Could he actually do better than Feaster?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• jedimyrmidon says:

I have to say: I really like the Habs’ prospect pool compared to the Leafs’. The Habs have at least one prospect with pretty good high end potential at each position except for center: (1) Sebastien Collberg at RW, (2) Nathan Beaulieu/Jarred Tinordi on D, (3) Lehkonen and Hudon at LW and now (4) Fucale in goal.

That’s pretty good because that doesn’t even include Alex Galchenyuk at centre (since he’s played a ‘full’ NHL season already), Lars Eller at center, Max Pacioretty at LW, PK Subban on D and Carey Price in goal.

I’d say it would be reasonable to be optimistic about the Habs’ future.

• Un Canadien errant says:

That jumped out at me too. They have one prospect graded at 8.5 and so do we (Morgan Rielly and Alex Galchenyuk), then they fall off to Mr. Gauthier at 7.5, while we have Nathan Beaulieu, Zachary Fucale and Sebastian Collberg at 8.0, and then seven players graded at 7.5. The rest of their Top 20 grades out at 7.0’s and 6.5’s. It’s not even a contest.

Now I know that Hockey’s Future’s rankings aren’t a guarantee or anything, but it’s a good indicator of the fact that we have strength in our system, since we stopped trading away picks for quick fixes. And maybe the Leafs are going to be hurting for a while yet.

In a bit of schadenfreude, their big winger first-round pick Tyrell Biggs gets a 6.5 and is described as inconsistent in his effort, while our Mike McCarron is bigger and gets a 7.5. So there.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Haha, weellll… I don’t have much faith in HF’s ranking system at all because they’re carried out by different authors who vary A LOT in terms of how they assign grades.

I’d consider the writer assigned to the Habs quite lenient in terms of grading. But, yeah, in general, I would agree that the Habs prospect pool is far better than the Leafs’ with more quality depth nearly everywhere.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ah, that’s good intel. So the Canadiens writer is lenient and gives high grades, whereas the Leafs guy is a meanie who’s never happy, since he’s a Leafs guy. That’d explain the gap in the grades.

15. ProHabs says:

What is all of this talk of Timo and Therrien being lovers. I thought it was Gionta and Therrien that were caught in an embrace at the end of last year.

16. Marc10 says:

Looks like its Brian Burke to Calgary as the new Sheriff in town…

McKenzie and other Twitter folk are hearing radio silence on that front which means… Meh!

Phaneuf and Kadri to Calgary rumours are going to heat up…

I’m tipping the Flames now that they don’t have a goalie to finish dead last for the next couple of years. With a bit of luck they’ll land some of the best players in a generation with McDavid and that other kid following him… And then Burke will take credit (as one does)… and/or trade the farm.

17. JohninTruro says:

Ben, do you have any information on Chris Caissy, he is from NB and plays for the Wildcats. I watched him play a preseason game against the Moose and he was by far the best player on the ice, they sat him for the 3rd as he already had a couple of points. Doesn’t look like he played any games in the Q last year, and is 20 years old appears to be undrafted. Has 3 assists tonight on 5 goals, this guy appeared fast and very good with the puck when I watched him.

18. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Since MB should be done dealing…back to the usual avatar!

19. HABZ24 says:

Price is a techniclly sound goalie yes for sure but his glove side still sucks and he is too soft in the head. As a person he is shy and i think he cant handle adversity well he isnt mentally tuff enough to be a goalie when it hits the fan. Not a warrior attitude at all caves in 6 yrs now how much more time do we give him to develope if he doesnt stand on his head and put up carreer numbers this ssn ship him OUT

You got to know things are scary and upside down when Vladimir Putin and Timo are the voices of reason!!!

21. JUST ME says:

So let`s make a resume of the cheering attitude found here about the Habs . A few weeks before the season begins it really looks optimistic.
    Price cannot stop anything and is overpaid.
    P.K. will not sign a new deal.
    Desharnais is overpaid and we are stuck with him since nobody else will want him.
    Markov with his weak knees is always injured and very slow.
    Moen is a fraud.
    Gorges is slow ,nervous and weak.
    Bouillon is finished.
    Therrien is Timo`s lover.
    Bergevin is a lame duck.
    Sylvain Lefevre in Hamilton is a no good rookie coach.
    That Timmins guy we all could do better than him !

I am sure that i am missing a few other classic ones but it just goes to show how positive we all look for fans just dropping by to read about the team.

22. Chuck says:

Ack!!! The longest week of the year!!!

23. commandant says:

Connor Crisp has been dealt from Erie to Sudbury in the OHL.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

This used to always be the kiss of death.

25. longbow says:

I know many are unhappy with Gorges performance last year but perhaps we should be reminded that after playing without an ACL since junior not only did he have to recover and rehab from surgery but also,in his own words,re-learn how to skate with a mended knee. I had a bad right shoulder from age 12 till 48 and it is fine now but I still haven’t gotten used to the idea that I can use it normally. I spent so much time making allowances for it that it is programmed into my brain.Last year was the first time in 6 years Gorges could use his knee normally and it takes time for certain movements and action to become automatic. You could see this when placing his feet to make pivots.He often fell over himself. I have no doubt he will be better this year and will be back to the form that we came to appreciate.

” Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm ” – Winston Churchill

26. Un Canadien errant says:

So I’ve been angling to buy Canucks tickets for when the Canadiens come to town in October, and while checking out their website for info, I was encouraged to buy a “Power Play Flex Pack”. I checked it out, wondering if I could buy one, sell a few of the tickets to Sharks or Wild games, and keep the tickets to a Canadiens game and maybe another or two.

So I scroll down and see that, sigh, I’d have to buy a ticket to a pre-season game, what fun… Then get one from the Pacific Division group, maybe I’d see the Oilers young stars, one from the Western Conference group, I guess if I have to, I’ll check out a St. Louis game. From the Eastern Conference, I have to choose from Florida, Carolina, the NY Islanders, Buffalo… An embarrassment of riches. Tampa Bay it would have to be, see Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis, and probably Jonathan Drouin.

I don’t know if I can even dump off any of these previous tickets, but now I rub my hands with glee at choosing a Premium game, …. and the Canadiens aren’t even listed. I can’t get a Canadiens game ticket even if before that I eat all my cold mushy vegetables and down the tablespoon of cod liver oil. No dessert.

If I put on a suit and go to the tea room and then the ballet, there better be a payoff. No thanks Mr. Aquilini. I’ll just get online Saturday when single-game tickets go on sale and hope to win the lottery.

A couple of seasons ago I paid $160 to go along with three friends to see a Premium Game against the Blackhawks. I was hoping for some offensive highlights and maybe some fireworks, but instead the game was a dud. I was in the first tier of seats, but right at the very last row up, the guys one row back paid half what I did. Worst waste of money in a long while.

Now I’m thinking I’ll probably head down to Vegas for a boys trip, and make a stopover in Phoenix for the Canadiens game in March. If I’m going to spend hundreds of dollars, might as well get a road trip out of it.

• Mattyleg says:

Sounds like a deal to me.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…if I was 10 years younger and no Kids, I would take You up on that

…I drive

(sorry Matty, meant for Norm The Storm)

• Un Canadien errant says:

If the Canucks were a better, more exciting team, I’d actually consider it, but they’ve been a little blah the last couple of years. I’m not plunking down any money to see these guys until they get the Sedin brothers a big winger to take care of business. If Zach Kassian can be that guy, then great, I’m in, but until then…

See you in the sales lobby on Saturday.

• Ian Cobb says:

Matty!!
        Did you receive your tickets ??

• Mattyleg says:

Nope.
          Starting to worry a bit…
          If I don’t get anything by the end of the week, I’ll contact Canada Post.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ian, do you have the rows and sections that our group will be sitting in for the Summit game? Like 304, row J, seats 1-10, row K, seats 1-10, and so on?

If you could give us that, it would help out Timo a great deal on the little project he’s working on, trying to come up with a seating chart for everyone.

27. Mattyleg says:

Hey, where’s whatsisname and his whining about media packages?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

28. Habfan10912 says:

I’m normally a fairly positive guy but perhaps some of Timo’s and others cynicism has rubbed off. I remember some of the statements and non statements Josh Gorges had during the PK contract negotiations. It still has stuck in my crawl.

Perhaps it’s my man crush on PK talking here but I don’t want to hear about HIS hopes and expectations on Price. I think Mr. Gorge should be focused on his own play as WE expect him to “Be at his best.”

Sorry for the rant.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Gentleman Jim 10912
      A key unit of the ‘morning crew’….is allowed to vent
      :-)

• Mark C says:

What did Josh say that was so bad?

• Mark C says:

Was wondering what he said about Price. Those comments about Subban were nothing. Talk about a molehill.

• Habfan10912 says:

As far as his comments about Price I think someone who stunk up the ice more than any player not named Moen ought to focus on his own play and not be commenting on a teammate.
            Like I said I’m willing to except that my affection for PK to prejudice myself when it comes to Gorges. Feel free to call it a mountain out of a mole hill. Hopefully PK sees it that way.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think that what Gorges said had anything to do with PK, but rather had to do with the media circus surrounding the entire situation, when instead of focusing on what was happening on the ice, or within the defensive pairings, the questions were all about someone who wasn’t there.

I can understand his frustration, and it had nothing to do with Subban.

That article was, by the way, unbelievably over-the-top in its pot-stirring. “Ooooh! Did you hear that? He said WHAT?? Mee-yow, that cat’s got claws!” kind of thing.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mattyleg says:

I can’t believe it.
            Are you serious?
            He’s not ‘sticking up for a teammate’???
            Nobody was attacking him!!

They said “are you happy he’s coming back?”
            Gorges said (essentially) “Yes because now I don’t have to listen to you ask asinine questions about him anymore.”

End. Of. Story.

Has nothing to do with PK, and everything to do with the desperate journos who have to fill column inches.

It’s just a bit depressing that so many people seem to have missed that and have turned it into some sad kitchen-sink drama.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Mark C says:

Matty, that story was from the Bruins’ propaganda machine NESN, the same people that gladly pay Jack Edwards.

• Mark C says:

I know what he said, Florida. Didn’t have any issue with it, other then calling it a holdout, but that seems like a semantics issue more than anything. Matty, correctly noted the negative inference made by the writer. I was just pointing out the obvious reasons for the negative angle.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…Josh on a well-balance D is an exceptional emotional leader and a solid defensive defenceman

…We did not have a well-balaced D last season

…Josh has the heart of a lion

…We may note Josh is a close neighbor and friend of Carey’s, and a special invited guest to each others’ weddings this summer

• Habfan10912 says:

I’m sure Gorge’s intent was to be supportive. I’m perfectly willing to take the blame for being unfair in my defense of PK.

• Habfan10912 says:

Ha ha Florida. Not bailing. Still feel the same way about Gorges. Just willing to accept my lack of partiality here. (Insert smiley face). CHeers.

29. slyCH says:

Howdy y’all hockey’s back and so am I, bring on the rookie camp…tomorrow I beleive?

30. Habitant in Surrey says:

…is it only Me whom feels a blue golf shirt just does not befit a Habs Player ?

…makes Them look more like pizza delivery boys in My opinion …or a MuppleWeed

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Surrey

No, you’re not alone.
      I love the Under Armour stuff, yet they should have designed something better that had more Red and White with a visible Habs Logo somewhere on the front.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…it’s those ‘little’ details that define an organization and a brand

…I don’t know Who Our Habs current marketing Guru is …but, He should be fired if He can’t do better on this significant event starting a season

• H.Upmann says:

TTC operators feel the same way ;)

31. HabFab says:

I understand that after the sun sets, it is “Happy New Year” to our Jewish contingent!
    So Happy Rosh Hashanan to You and Your Families!

32. Strummer says:

Re: Crosby 1-on-1 with Mansbridge tonight on the National.

Mansbridge “softball question or statement framed as a question”

Crosby: “cliche- athlete- response”

Repeat.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

We all know that the Argos are Canada’s favourite football team (and reigning Cup champions) but I thought I would post this for the few Alouette fans who are still out there. Not that I’m trying to pluck any feathers from an innocent lark:)

34. Hobie Hansen says:

Whether Price believes it, his teammates or the organization believes it, the fans and media have almost turned this into a make or break year for the goaltender.

I love how’s it’s come down to: He has to have a kick ass season this year or he’s gone! He’s 26-years-old now so he has to be stellar or he’s not a keeper.

I’d love to see the guy do well, I even have some concerns, but the writing is allover the wall for Price to be run out of town, settle in with another team, and dominate from age 27 to 37. If he leaves I’d bet money on it!

He might not have what it takes to make it here, it’s a possibility. That’s the part that makes me mad. Why doesn’t he have what it takes, the fans (some) and media (some) will pretend that it’s because we demand excellence and you have to be a special kinda person to excel in Montreal. When in reality it’s just the luck of the draw if you escape line of fire from the paparazzi. It helps if you’re French too.

• D Mex says:

Well then look at the upside :
      his services would be welcomed elsewhere, his contract can be moved and MB could demand – and would receive – premium asset(s) in return.

ALWAYS Habs –
      D Mex

• Hobie Hansen says:

And the Canadiens would remain mediocre with a revolving door of goaltenders for the next 10 years, instead of working with Price for another 2-5 years.

• Mattyleg says:

Totally agree, Hobes.
          Hopefully MB has more patience than the fans and the media, and that Geoff gives him a long enough leash.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• HabFanSince72 says:

I think you have to be special to excel period. On any team.

How many goalies aged 24-35 (say) are really good? Certainly fewer than the number of NHL teams.

Regarding being French, while I can think of lot of homeboys who were sent packing (Theo, Ribeiro, Lapierre, Latendresse, Brisebois – and of course St.Patrick) I can’t think of too many that got a free pass despite subpar performances.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Theodore had one hot streak and then was completely unreliable. Ribeiro and Lapierre pissed off all the right people in the organization and their acts wore thin. Latendresse plain stunk and Patrick stuck up for himself against an idiot coach and left on his own accord.

Briesbois is the only real comparison with Price. Price is much more of a star caliber player than Briesbois but both have become the whipping boys of their respective rosters, by some clueless fans and a cutthroat media.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Hobie

This is the year that can be best described as the Habs being caught between a rock and a Price hard place.

Price’s contract looks like this:

Cap Hit for the next 5 years: $6,500,000

His guaranteed Salary:
      2013-14 $5,750,000
      2014-15 $6,750,000
      2015-16 $7,000,000
      2016-17 $7,000,000
      2017-18 $7,000,000

If Price does well (???) , the Habs don’t try and trade him.
      If he doesn’t, no team will take that contract.

Perhaps that’s why GM Bergevin was spotted this week in Montreal at L’Oratoire Saint-Joseph praying…

• Phil C says:

I agree that Price has a lot of pressure on him this year. While I agree with you that being in Montreal tends to amplify the situation, I think the main source of the pressure is his contract. If you want to be paid the big bucks, you have to take the pressure that comes with it in any market. Miller was under a lot of pressure in Buffalo for the last two years. And let’s not forget the gong show in Philly with Bryzgalov. As long as that contract goes with him, he’ll have pressure to perform. It might not be as much as in Montreal, but he would not have a cakewalk either.

Carey still controls his own fate, he’s not a victim yet.

35. Psycho29 says:

Habs raise funds for Lac Megantic victims:

The Canadiens are selling tickets for an informal Red vs. White scrimmage on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 1 p.m. at the Bell Centre, with proceeds being donated to the Fonds Avenir Lac-Mégantic.

NEWS ALERT: Frank (HabFab) posted a half dozen Hab related links just before the thread changed over to this one. Please jump back to the top of the last thread for his great updates.

• HabFab says:

I always check Stubbs for tweets on new articles before posting those multiple links. There were none and you usually have an hour or so after he puts it on twitter before a thread change. Stu must have been waiting impatiently for it to arrive :)

Thanks Steve.

37. Bash says:

Trophy hunting is disgusting. Whether the corpse was left to rot or not he wanted a head for his wall. It takes a real man to blow away an animal just for a decoration.

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

Forget Murray and Drewiske, maybe even Briere and Parros. The best signing for Montreal may well turn out to be Stéphane Waite.

In a related matter, it’s nice to see that Josh Gorges’ campaign to become captain is still alive and well.

39. HabFab says:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

NOTE; check out previous thread for explanation.
    Stu, your timing sucks :)

• HabFab says:

I not a hunter nor am I anti-gay (insert on Harper column) but really have a hard time with people trying to impose their views on me or others… political correctness be damned!!!

• JIMVINNY says:

I have very strong doubts that Stoner left a skinned corpse lying in a field to rot. The story strongly reeks of something, but it ain’t rancid meat.

• My dad wanted to make me into a hunter, but I really didn’t see the point and my heart wasn’t in it. I don’t have anything against hunting–so long as you’re going to eat what you kill or you need to control an animal population.

I think trophy hunting should be allowed if you’re willing to go at the prey with a hunting knife and a six-shot .22 revolver with no extra ammunition. I think there’d be a lot fewer trophies taken. By people, anyway. ;)

DDonais

• on2ndthought says:

He shot the bear with his license! Must have been 007.

“a cannonading drive”

40. GrimJim says:

First…
    …in our hearts, second in the standings