Habs clarify Subban’s security escort

AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Alexandre Picard | Yannick Weber | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin

The Canadiens called this morning to clarify their role in the security escort that healthy scratch P.K. Subban had Saturday afternoon on the Bell Centre press gallery, addressed in my Gazette column of today.

The team says that senior management had no idea that Subban had this “bodyguard” with him, and at no time did senior management approve or arrange it. This was an instance of overzealousness on the part of press-gallery personnel, the team said, adding it didn’t want to be seen as paranoid in the matter of Subban not dressing for games. The club will have discussions with the appropriate parties, it said.

Any security the rookie defenceman had at his Sunday electronics-store autograph signing appearance in Laval, north of Montreal, was privately arranged. This is normal procedure in the case of events that are not official team functions.

* In practice this morning, Subban is skating as the seventh defenceman.

Will Jacques Martin alter a winning lineup for Ottawa’s visit to the Bell Centre tomorrow?

Hehe… look forward to it :)

2. punkster says:

Oh, you will definitely pay for that comment Mike. I’m spiking the punch at the next Yeats Yard Party just for you.

3. db says:

Amazing how governments get blamed for getting hosed by the private sector.  If the gov is involved then the prices from the private sector more than triple…. yeah, our money’s being wasted by the gov, but its our neighbours that take it.

Oh come on… he had a bad game. Happens. Everybody on this team does… a lot more often the Subban. I am sure a good talk or walk holding hand along St Laurent river would do the trick just as well.

Martin, as fantastic coach as he is, does have his flaws, and one of them he plays favorites (for whatever reasons. Cammi’s a$$ could have been sent to press box on that same OT goal play just as fast as Subban’s.

Subban is not a loose cannon like Avery. The kid has brains, but he probably also has pride and is subject to common human emotions. Which means the more he is in JMs doghouse, the more likely he is to not want to play for that coach.

Btw, right back at ya, Andy. Just providing not so constructive disagreement  here :)

Good idea… I typically ignore anything you have to say, but I might listen to Ian :)

6. punkster says:

Wacky. Totally wacky THIS PLACE IS SOME DAYS!@!!&^$RIUT YIP(*)}_)(*

7. punkster says:

Mike, I believe you have to treat different people…well, differently. You don’t treat young, learning, recently promoted rookies the same way as you treat established players or forwards the way you treat defencemen. Damn straight he’s in JM’s doghouse and if he’s really listening he’ll learn from this. If he puts on an injured pride, emotional or “I don’t want to play for this coach” attitude then he won’t play…and if he does those things then I don’t want him on the team, talent or no. Realistic scenario? PK is as smart as he is talented so that makes him very smart. He’ll learn from this and improve. He won’t backslide and sulk.

Here’s an idea. Let’s ask Ian Cobb what he thinks of all this.

8. Gorges_the_great says:

Yes! In my opinion, that is exactly what’s happening…I wouldn’t be surprise if JM used those exact words…

The only problem is that it makes TOO MUCH sense…where’s the conspriacy theory?

9. Kappy says:

Good post, I totally agree with you.  I think that conversation with PK & JM needs to happen and probably has happened.  I was thinking the same thing, putting PK up front seems very logical to me.  I mean if they do it with Weber then why not PK?  He has much better puck handling and skating skill then Weber.  They could also put him on D for a few shifts throughout the game to cut some of the older guys minutes.  I like it, it seems like a good fit and worth try.  Unfortunatly that means a forward has to sit and right now that guy would be Lapierre. He is contributing the least amount to the outcome of the game.

10. patience is a virtue says:

Exactly.

But we are a better team with Subban on the ice.  We missed his poise and puck movement against SJ.  If Gorges doesn’t need a break, perhaps Gill does?  Play Weber and Subban.

11. Chorske says:

SIZE! SIZE!SIZE!SIZE!SIZESIZESIZEMURF! SMURFSMURFSMURFSMURF!!!

GritgritgritGRIIIIT!SAND! JAM!! JAMJAMJAM!!! Size!

More incoherence from the Size Tourettes’ crowd

12. andrewberkshire says:

While Picard isn’t making big mistakes, he doesn’t contribute much in the way of good plays either. He’s a player who’s of no detriment, and very little benefit, basically a minute muncher. PK on the other hand is a gamebreaker who rarely causes any detriment, and if you look at the underlying numbers an argument can be made that he’s been our most consistent defenseman since day 1.

13. habaddict_andy says:

Dont’ get me wrong, I like what you bring to HIO, awesome read.  But I disagree.  As awesome as he may be, PK needs to realise reality that he cannot do whatever he wants to do.  The reason why Canadiens are successful so far is due to team effort.

14. bwoar says:

You mean JM’s gonna turn him into a white giraffe on ice who can’t skate or make a play in his own end?  This is perfect, Burke will give us the moon for him!

15. bwoar says:

You bash a kid for being to small, and a defensive liability, while touting Korneev?  Not strong Mikey.  I guess you missed the games vs. NJ and SJ because #68 looked every bit the NHL defenseman.  Blocked shots, threw hits, got points, looked confident actually.  I’d take Weber over either guy you mentioned, not having seen either of them turn in a similar performance in an NHL game.

16. A. Berke says:

Completely agree.

Why not rest Gorges if he has an undisclosed injury or Spacek or Gill so that they can catch their breath or Picard?

Is PK worse than the rest of our D to merit such a discard?

Ali B.

Don’t have too… it’s implied.

18. bwoar says:

Can a bus or elephant or piano please fall on you?

19. bwoar says:

Wow, that’s in poor taste.  The rooks will get their shot in due time.

20. light_n_tasty says:

Careful, Bobby, you’re gonna get lynched.

The other day I made a comment that I would prefer that Gomez be on the LTIR instead of Markov.  Apparently that’s going waayyy to far for the timid hearts of the HIO community.

But you, you said you hope that a player gets injured.  Hide Bobby, Hide!

21. longtimehabsfan says:

Of course you are, Timo!  I think you should change your username to “The Eternal Optimist”

22. DearyLeary says:

Or how about we rest the old horses from time to time to allow for some playtime for our younger talent.  No need for an injury to rest a player from time to time.

23. andrewberkshire says:

What wacky ideas you have.

24. notbigbird says:

Folks around here rush to judgment based on very little evidence.

25. adam76 says:

I disagree – MArtain is letting them freewheel.  Looking back, pre lockout to now, his style of coaching is changed in almost every aspect.

I am still one of those.

27. matraque says:

We don’t notice Picard… And that is a good thing.  That means he’s not making noticeable mistakes.

Can someone tell PK that he does not need to tear off the banners when he takes a slapshot?

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

28. Landof10000lakesHab says:

What??

O’Byrne-ization of PK has officially began. Thanks, JM.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

Last year we couldn’t wait for the team to get healthy so we could see what they could really do, now people can’t wait to see our veterans injured? I’m very confused…

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. RetroMikey says:

Nice post but Weber is just too small and a defensive liability to makeit in the NHL, a work in progress IMO.

Where are thou are Emelin or Korneev from Russia?  We draft players from Europe and they are playing there and not here.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

32. avatar_58 says:

Has everyone lost their minds a bit? The NJ game was not even a game, it was over in the first 2 minutes. The only game worth discussing was San Jose. Put the devils non-game out of your heads, they had no goalie/defence.

33. adam76 says:

Strange – at the start of the season, I was hoping he plays well and contributes to the team.

I’m nuts like that.

34. longtimehabsfan says:

I admit I was one of those.  Pleasantly surprised.  It’s only two games but I liked what I saw.  You never know when these kids are going to blossom.  Let’s hope this is just the beginning of the young guns starting to blossom.

I wrote back in the summer that this team’s success would hinge on the young players because we have a good veteran core.  So far, we have Price, Pouliot, Eller, Webber and Subban coming along nicely.  It’s a good sign.

35. Chips says:

RDS is saying that PK skated with Boyd as the extra defensive pair, which would imply that he’s up in the press box again tomorrow night. Wonder who got it right? I bet PK sits again.

25 in 2011

36. VancouverHab says:

You hope that a fellow human being, and a member of the team you affect to support, receives physical harm?

Sometimes I really dislike this place. (One of the professional writers here manufacturing a controversy in a time of success and enjoyment does not help either.)

But, if I don’t like the free vanilla ice cream I can always fast….

37. Bob Dobbs says:

At the beginning of the season I hoped Spacek would get injured.

Now I hope he gets injured to rest him as much as possible so he can remain fit for the playoffs and to let the two rookies both play.

38. Rudy says:

So has Weber really played that much better than he has before. The comments on here about him before the NJ game were “career AHLer”

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

39. Landof10000lakesHab says:

You may be correct down the road, but could have picked a better time to state it.

At  5’11” and 198lbs is the smallest Habs D… however, Weber was +3, with 2 hits and 3 blocked shots last game.

40. andrewberkshire says:

Mike, sometimes I think you’re insane.

41. andrewberkshire says:

The justification for that move would be easy, when it comes down to it Subban is a way better hockey player than Picard. Picard at his best is pretty much what we’re seeing now, whereas Subban at his best is an elite player. Subban at his worse is marginally worse than Picard at his best.

42. andrewberkshire says:

If you’d have paid attention to Weber in the last two games you’d see that he’s plenty physical and very adept at using his body to separate the puck from opposing players.

43. habs4ever2894 says:

Really? i think he would definitely be in the leafs top six.

44. PeterD says:

“No physical play from Weber”???  Are you kidding me…haven’t you been watching the last couple of games…?

Weber has been consistent at effectively separating the man from the puck without taking stupid penalties by getting caught out of position or being too agressive…to me that is “smart” physical play.

I say let Weber play until he needs to sit…he and Subban are both talented rookies…different packages but both with a strong future if brought along properly by the organization.

Subban needs to learn the team game and when to extert his game plan as an individual and when to hold back for the sake of the overall team plan.  I love the kid and see him as one of the best prospects in our organization…but right now he is not Bobby Orr or Paul Coffey, and he is a long way from being the next Larry Robinson or Serge Savard…but in time…the sky is the limit for the kid…as long as he plays within the team system and plan.

45. Habifornia says:

Although I’m a big fan of Subban, it’s tough for JM to justify making a change when the team has two huuuge wins. So I can see him having a talk with PK and saying something along the lines of  “Hey, I know you’ve sat a couple of games, and you’ve got the message… I’m sure you’ll be better defensively from here on in. But I’m not gonna make a change while we’re winning, cause it would send a wrong message… so keep working hard and training hard, you’ll be in after a loss”. Easily handled, and PK knows exactly where he stands and that he’s not being “punished” while sitting for few games.

Also, not sure if anyone has suggested this… if we wanna play with 7 D, then why not PK up front? I bet you he would make a helluva forward with his skating, stick handling and shooting. Just while he waits to get his spot back on D…

____________________________________________

“Mr Gainey, you will not regret picking me”.
    – PK Subban

46. avatar_58 says:

I like Moen, I REALLY do….but he’s a damned checker. An energy guy. He doesn’t belong in anyone’s top 6, even the leafs.

47. Julie H says:

Hahaha. They’re all very well spoken. I particularly liked Gorges comments about not relying on one player. Interesting question to Gorges from the female reporter. Very diplomatic responce.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

48. habs365 says:

you’re right, but I’m glad you acknowledge, he’s been over paid for the lack of productivity..he’s a good $4,000,000 player and if he was paid this amount..they’re would be very few complaints from fans. and I personally think a few team mates..he’s had team mates on his line getting paid way less and had some production..anyway until gomez can produce at least every 4 games..his name will never go away until his contract does….

49. matraque says:

Again, no offense to PK… What justify sitting Picard?  He’s playing extremely well.

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

50. habaddict_andy says:

Don’t want to see Weber playing forward again.  He is doing pretty as a D.  He didn’t well forward.

51. habs4ever2894 says:

I like the Eller line as is with Darche , JM should consider reuniting Gomez and Gionta.

52. habaddict_andy says:

What Gomez and Camalleri need is Patch.  Imagine that!

53. habs4ever2894 says:

Lol @ Cammalleri to the media “You guys are boring as shit today”