Habs clarify Subban’s security escort

AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Alexandre Picard | Yannick Weber | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin

The Canadiens called this morning to clarify their role in the security escort that healthy scratch P.K. Subban had Saturday afternoon on the Bell Centre press gallery, addressed in my Gazette column of today.

The team says that senior management had no idea that Subban had this “bodyguard” with him, and at no time did senior management approve or arrange it. This was an instance of overzealousness on the part of press-gallery personnel, the team said, adding it didn’t want to be seen as paranoid in the matter of Subban not dressing for games. The club will have discussions with the appropriate parties, it said.

Any security the rookie defenceman had at his Sunday electronics-store autograph signing appearance in Laval, north of Montreal, was privately arranged. This is normal procedure in the case of events that are not official team functions.

* In practice this morning, Subban is skating as the seventh defenceman.

Will Jacques Martin alter a winning lineup for Ottawa’s visit to the Bell Centre tomorrow?

1. shiram says:

The difference in size between Pk and Weber is very small. One inch and a few pounds. I’m just glad we have two young great D-man.

I’d sit Picard, but someone posted lines with Weber being left out at practice.

2. sidhu says:

Two comments:

1) Get Moen off the second line, and
    2) Get Cammy away from Gomez

JM, do me a solid and use these lines:

AK46-Pleky-Cammy
    Benny-Eller-Gio
    Moen-Gomez-Darche
    Pyatt-Halpern-Lapierre

OR, down the line:

AK46-Pleky-Cammy
    Pacioretty-Gomez-Gio
    Benny-Eller-Darche
    Pyatt-Halpern-Moen

3. JohnBellyful says:

Regarding Ron Wilson’s future, it appears the Heuters report I posted Saturday [check under Scouting the Sharks thread] was premature in announcing a shake-up involving three Canadian teams. Or ahead of its time. Or a waste of time, as some posters might have already concluded. Poster-ity will be the judge.

4. sidhu says:

Price starting
    Auld

Scratches:
    Boyd
    Weber

5. joeybarrie says:

Weber 0.5 points per game so far.

Pk Subban 0.36 points per game.

With Weber we have only let in 5 goals in 4 games…. So maybe you should wait before you say he is too small and not offensively talented enough….

By the way do you really think 1 inch and 9 pounds is the difference between a smurf and a non smurf????

Makes you sound pretty dumb to me.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

6. SeriousFan09 says:

I remember him being a standout in the AHL last season (To the point of making 1st All-Star in the AHL) and the NHL playoffs.

Subban is not going back to Hamilton, we you know want the Bulldogs to win a Calder Cup by having all the Habs top prospects play down there but they’re due to graduate to NHL play than that’s where they will be. The Canadiens need puck-moving defencemen this season and those two fit the bill.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

7. G-Man says:

Lapierre is playing fine. 3rd or 4th line minutes and you talk about is points. Doh!

8. G-Man says:

No physical play from Weber- too small and not offensively talented enough to make up for it. Smurf D-men? Bad choice.

9. habs365 says:

the reason fans 2nd guess management..they can’t put a team together to win a cup..that’s what the fans want..not a team that make it to the playoffs and knocked out in a couple of rounds..it’s been 17 years since we’ve won a cup..and i know what you’re gonna say..there’s lots of teams that hasn’t won a cup in 17 years..we don’t care about other teams..we’re Habs fans, having said that..I’m gonna 2nd guess management right now..this team is good..but I wouldn’t be planning a parade just yet….

10. RetroMikey says:

Subban and Weber will be sent down to Hamilton IMO.

Gauthier will be working to get a veteran DMan who can help us more defensively than on offense than the 2 kids who still have a way to go before being calibre NHL DMen.

As much as I like Subban, his mouth will get him in a lot of hot water with his teammates.

Remember last season?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

11. Bugs says:

Everyone relax; Soobie’ll be back.

When we lose.

Til then.., enh! Sucks to be him; what can you do?

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

12. Julie H says:

You misread my comment slightly habs365, I said EVERY player can’t score every game. Crobsy and Stamkos are exceptions to the scoring rule.

I agree with you on the pay and the lack of productivity 100%. All I was pointing out is that all of our players can’t score every game, not even every second game. I hope team morale isn’t going down the drain because of him.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

13. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think JM wants PK to be a shutdown player either, he knows he needs puck-moving from the back end of the play so he needs to let Subban be Subban here and there but he wants PK to think about the defensive implications of his moves more often, hence your example of the tying goal against the Oilers. He needs to think about his defensive responsibilities as the Canadiens are winning on team defence.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. bwoar says:

This is really simple.

P.K., you played well but you let it get outta hand after the first warning (i.e. after the first game he cost us).  Suddenly another rookie who has worked his butt off to get a chance is getting it, and proving he deserves to play.  The message is a clear as day: there’s one spot, so don’t screw up or you may lose it.

All this hand-wringing about Subban makes me feel for Yannick Weber, a guy who’s paid as many dues as P.K. Subban, and contributed mightily to the success of the Hamilton Bulldogs.  Another kid who was lights-out in junior and has now proven himself at the AHL level.  He’s earned his shot, and with Subban’s miscues Weber is getting that golden chance.  And so far, he’s played better than I expected.

I kinda feel that while loads of people are Subban-this and Subban-that, there’s a guy who’s taken his first steps at proving his NHL readiness, and his play gets forgotten.  It’s a shame because Weber brings 2 things we really need: 1) simple, steady defensive play and 2) booming and accurate slapper for the PP.

If Subban wasn’t in the picture, would we not be getting excited about Weber?  I know I like what I’ve seen a helluva lot so far.

Boone & Co, more Weber interviews please, less P.K. “The Show” Subban until the kid actually returns to the lineup.

15. JIMVINNY says:

I’m not suggesting that Martin is trying to turn PK into a shutdown d-man or anything, just that he needs to be a lot more discerning about the times where he going to take a chance.  For example, diving at a bouncing puck with two opponents coming at you while on the PP with a 1 goal lead late in the 3rd is not a good idea.

As for your paragraphs 2 and 3, I totally agree.  Regarding Markov, I’ve always felt that he could be as dangerous as Mike Green, if he were willing to sacrifice his defensive game to the extent that Green does.  As it happens, he isn’t, so he’s never gotten the recognition that Green does.  Like you, I was hoping that PK would have Markov to learn from, since he has mastered the art of picking his spots.

16. Malreg says:

Agreed, Lapierre deserves to sit, at least for next game.  He’s invisible in more games then Kovalev on a scoring drought.

We will need all 4 lines on Friday and Saturday though, with a tough back-to-back against Detroit and Toronto.

17. habs365 says:

julie maybe you should tell sidney crosby players can’t score every game..he’s not doing too bad..if he doesn’t score every game..look out the next one..he’ll score 2 or 3..I don’t think it’s so much Gomez is not scoring..the rest of the team is looking at what he’s been paid for and no results..if you came to work mon to fri and some lady doing the same work as you, getting paid more and doing very little how would you feel? I think you’re comment would be different…….

18. filincal says:

The mentoring by Markov is going to be a big issue this year. I think everyone in the organization invisioned Subban learning from Markov very quickly, but this throws a wrench into plans.

I think Subbie’s a smart Cat…he knows what’s going on in this situation (pressbox time), and will be stronger for it.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

19. thorandresson says:

I personally don’t like it when they play 7D, it makes the 4th line useless.  I’d say they give Spacek or Gorges a rest (they’re the 2 who are playing on their opposite sides).  Subban played pretty well with Gill earlier this year, and Hamrlik can play well with young inexperienced rookies.  Gorges has look like he’s been playing hurt of late, so why not let him rest and recuperate.  And Spacek is old and could probably use a rest.  But then again, try telling them that, I’m sure they won’t be very happy about being “healthy” scratches.

20. Kooch7800 says:

100% correct SmartDog

21. kakey says:

But he hated the Nordiques even more.

22. nick says:

I find it funny that this is all about Subban.

Given the CH found out that Markov is out for the season, its my feeling PG and JM needed to see what they had, and whether or not they needed to go shopping for a D.

The only way to do this is to play Weber and see how he plays.

23. Kooch7800 says:

we have a ton of assests that we could move, Deharnais, Webber, Boyd, Pulushaj (sp?).  We need scoring punch in a bad way. I don’t think we will get a Richards type player due to salary cap but he would fit in nicely.

Dallas will trade him this year for sure.

24. MTLForever says:

I didn’t change my picture to PK til a few days ago when people were not fond of PK. I had markov, gorges, gionta and cammy before.

Picard is still young and he was signed as 7th D so i can see him sitting.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Somewhat agree with this, I think we’ll see some of the PK Subban that lit up the AHL last season but just not on a very regular basis, I agree Boucher seemed to engineer his system to work with a puck-moving D, as that is the philosophy of his 1-3-1 Forechecking.

Subban I think is a player who even in Juniors, was very used to being one of the best players, if not the best player on the ice in each game he played and having a talent level that simply let him cover up any mistake he made with slick backwards skating or a deft move from his stick. However at this level, it’s a lot harder for him to freewheel and get away with it. JM wants PK to rein himself in and pick his spots carefully when he does make an offensive rush.

Why I always felt Markov would be so important to the lineup this season, not just as a player but as a mentor to Subban. An experienced puck-mover who always knew when to pick his spots, his guidance to PK would have meant a ton for his growth this season.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. jimmy shaker says:

Play 7D and PK with Picard, then let Weber go every other shift with hammer or spacek.  Laps is the guy that needs to sit.  Pyatt at least kills penalties so Laps is the odd guy out here.  Make it happen JM or your fired!

Shaker

27. lakechamplain says:

So the rookie is being sent a message by the brass;  but what’s the point of extending this beyond a game? Because we’re on a winning ‘streak’? Yeah, right.  It seems more like the time-honored tradition of Montreal making new players(like Pouliot) or rookies to become so afraid of making a mistake that they’ll freeze up and lose all the natural flow that allows a good player to function.  Hey, if they aren’t going to play Subban on D, why not try him as a wing on the top 2 lines; we sure could use a another top-sixer(and they’re not going to bring up Max-Pac it seems until he scores hat tricks every 5 games).

The Habs beat San Jose because Price came up big and we scored some timely goals, not because we outskated or outplayed them.  Subban had expectations raised far beyond what is fair to expect–welcome to Montreal–but if the coaching staff can’t help this kid, and others, develop at a steady pace they’re gonna lose him, either on the ice or in the future.  Lighten up management and let him and Weber and Picard become the core of our D in the near future.

28. Chips says:

Pats are going down tonight and wasn’t it marvelous how my Raiders shut down the Charger offensive machine!!! Go Raiders!!! And my Suns won too!!! It was a tough day 15 hr day on the couch yesterday, I tell ya!!!!

25 in 2011

29. sidhu says:

We should play 7 D — give the young guys (PK, Weber, Picard) more experience  and also allow the older guys (everyone else) a chance to play less minutes and rest up relatively speaking.

So who sits, maybe Pyatt?  I’d say Halpern, but that was roundly shot down by the Habs I/O congnoscenti yesterday.

30. JD_ says:

I put a good dollop of heresy in my coffee every mornin’, 24C.

31. JIMVINNY says:

This bodyguard debacle aside, I can’t say I’m surprised there is controversy surrounding PK.  I really wondered how Martin would be able to stuff a freewheeling, flamboyant, devil-may-care attitude into his rigid-but-effective defensive scheme.  For 20 games, I thought I had been too hasty, that these two hockey minds at totally different ends of the spectrum had figured out how to make things fit.  Maybe not.

PK appears to have tried to revert to his Guy Boucher-supported mentality of the team on the ice revolving around him.  I’m not talking about him being arrogant, or having a monstrous ego, just that he was used to having the freedom to do what he wanted, while knowing that the rest of the guys on the ice would cover for him if things went haywire.  Unfortunately for him, that’s not the way JM’s system works, and I think the trip to the pressbox was designed to remind him of that.  Also unfortunately for him, JM rarely messes with a winning lineup, so he’s going to have to wait for a loss or an injury to get back in.

His attitude is fine, his play will be fine, but until Martin retires or is fired, I don’t think we’ll be seeing the PK that lit up the AHL last year.  Martin’s system just doesn’t have room for that type of individual play from a rearguard.

32. nick says:

A couple million to move some snakes?!

I used to do it with a net and a stick… moving 10 or so at a time out of neighbours yards for a few bucks as a kid.

I really don’t see the need for a few million… That is unless the federal government is involved… and their making a lake 😛

33. Thomas says:

Stubbs, I have never had the pleasure of meeting you as of yet, hopefully some day.  I usually find your work very interesting, relevant and good insight into my favourite hockey team.

With this article though, I do find myself disagreeing with you…you called it a circus upstairs.  I don’t see how one player, having a person with him, looking over his shoulder is a circus.  Unnecessary yes, but a circus, I don’t see it.  A circus would be if he rolled in with an entourage of 10 thugs, being rude and obnoxious. It’s only a cirucs if someone tries to make it that, and it seems here that you are trying make a big issue out of something that isn’t relevant whatsoever to what is happening on the ice.  Furthermore, I don’t understand the purpose of this article which seems to be an almost personal attack on PK himself.

As well you’re comment about him being worried about being questioned by a “wretched reporter” seems to be a bit much here, almost sour grapes.  Again, you seem to have taken the situation personally, and are responding in a way that is unfair to PK.  Why make a big deal of it, why write about it in the papers before asking him yourself, why put this cloud over him?  I just don’t get it, and really, who cares if he had an escort?  Now a new controversy has been created, congratulations!

34. Julie H says:

If you stand still you’re dead…wowzow. I don’t disagree that we don’t have areas where adjustments could be made, I’m just saying we can’t constantly be negative.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

♪Click click boom! Just as soon as we hit the room you can hear ’em holler♪

35. shiram says:

Bias much??

just kidding!

But i would not worry about PK, he will be back. Weber needed to have at least a try on the D, and JM probably wanted to evaluate him now that Markov is out.

But Spaced/Hammer have been playing well, so it’s down to Gorges, Gill or Picard on who to rotate out, and im thinking Picard might get the short end of it.

JD – What a crappy post.  No mention of Halak hittin’ the road, Gomez hittin’ the skids or Subban hittin’ the press box:-)  WTF gives with you, man?

A stranger in a strange land, indeed.

37. Mattyleg says:

Of course we are!

He’s still got it: Look!

…16 people can’t be wrong!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. MTLForever says:

I hope PK is in the line up, i don’t think we should scratch our best rookie Dman for another game. Give someone a rest or Gorges, he’s hurting.

Btw for those of you who wanted Guerin…he retired.

39. SmartDog says:

You know where winning teams that sit on their laurels go?  Golfing.

Not sure who it was, but I think it was one of the former players on HNIC who said “even a winning team has to constantly be looking for ways to improve. If you stand still you’re dead.”  No truer words.  Just because we’re winning doens’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t improve. Our 2nd line in particular….physical play… play in front of the goalie… none of these are strengths.

40. Mattyleg says:

Zzzinggg!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

41. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, that’s him.

Johnny Lee Miller aka Jordan Chase.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

42. Mattyleg says:

Yeaaaaah!!!

A Kippah-Trick!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. Mattyleg says:

Kerry Fraser always hated us!!

Gosh!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. shiram says:

The question is will they get thrown on ice?

45. PrimeTime says:

Fans will always 2nd guess management but that doesn’t make their decisions wrong. Look how many “right” decisions have been made in the past couple of years to help put this team where it is right now. Fans generally disagreed with all of them. Management are professionals who have far greater intelligence and a much greater understanding of how to reach the organizations goals. Right now, JM feels that for the best interest of the team, and probably the player, PK needs a timeout and learn some things about being a team hockey player. He’s a great talent and will be a star but no one is bigger than the team.

46. Say Ash says:

Is the bad guy sickboy from trainspotting?

47. Bugs says:

So how ’bout them Cowboys? Yeah, baby. Told yehs about the Colts: questioning themselves. And no RBs.

Ravens HAD it. They HAD it, man! Aaargh! Friggin Polamalu, man… Woulda put me 12-2 afore tonight’s game on Prédictions. (Dropped CLE-MIA and, of course, SD-OAK).

Patriots tonight.

Pff, Jets think they’re so tough; think they’re sooo good; think they’re a real team, pah!

A little lesson in manners, I think, tonight.

12-3, best I can hope for. No chance in hell…

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

48. JD_ says:

* I couldn’t believe how biased the refs were against the Habs on Sunday afternoon at the Bell Centre. It was totally blatant. At one point, Kerry Fraser ruled Damphousse’s stick blade had an illegal curve and awarded the HoFers a 3-on-nothin’ penalty shot, which they promptly scored on, followin’ which a Claude Lemieux breakaway was whistled down because HoFer head coach, Guy Lapointe, called a timeout in mid-play. This was all in the span of a couple of minutes. Unbelievable. I didn’t even know which page of the rulebook to look at. Fraser should seriously consider retirin’ cause I really don’t think he quite understands what’s goin’ on.

* Man, the kids were alright on Saturday afternoon. The DEP line – you know, nothin’ fancy but they always have what you’re lookin’ for – was all over the place, recordin’ 7 of the Habs’ 19 shots and the three of them were always well-positioned away from the play. Had my eyes on Eller and Poolio, in particular. Their play just smacked of thoughtful coachin’. Price was, well, Price. I can pay no greater compliment. Niemi, on the other hand, demonstrated why his agent Bill Zito must live in a snow globe. The guys on the other side I watched away from the play more intently were Thornton and Heatley. One forgets how absolutely huge Joe is. One also notices that he seems to be allergic to his own blue line, never really ever approachin’ it, and if he has the puck and you really want it, well, it’s yours. Good times.

* Piece in today’s Gazette on how Transport Quebec will have to spend a few bucks to relocate about 100 snakes that reside in the area of the former Turcot yards, all part of the massive highway reconstruction project in and around the interchange. Speakin’ of creatures that live under rocks, nothin’ particularly heroic about crawlin’ back out of a hole one so unheroically crawled into. Given the circumstances, and ignorin’ the disingenuous half-measures, it’s the least that can be expected.

* The reason Ron Wilson is almost certainly toast after the next embarrassin’ outin’ by the Loafs: Burkie needs the breathin’ room, is addicted to management theater, and, most importantly, will never, ever be called out for firin’ Ron Wilson. To wit, the inevitable headline, “Wilson Axed – Burke had no choice but to cut his old friend loose.” Cue the violins.

* Would love to be a fly on the wall at the almost certainly ongoin’, off-the-record, behind-closed-doors discussions with Wilson’s replacement. On the fair assumption Burkie will not dare bring in an experiment – at this point, he just can’t afford to take that kind of risk – one has to imagine the guy on the other side of the table is credible, has been around the block a few times, and is makin’ it well clear that he will not be ground into the dust in T.O., besprinkled among the scattered cinders and ashes of Burkie’s gasoline-soaked delusions of competence.

49. avatar_58 says:

Because some of us are tired of being an “okay” team and are impatient, seeing signs of a star in PK Subban. A star that just MAY help us become one of those feared teams ala the Pens with Crosby or Washington with Ovy. All teams have that one player you hate because they are DAMN good. Subban looks to be that for the habs in the future.

So yeah, obviously his benching gets under our skin. No offence to Weber, whom I also like. I just wish we had one less defenceman so we could enjoy PK fulltime. I *though* Markov going down would make this happen, guess not.

Aftet watching Martin CONSTANTLY insist on MAB I have zero faith in his defenceman choices. He doesn’t seem to judge by anything but goals for/against, and ignores ALL turnovers and other nonsense. If weber turned it over 20 times but didn’t cause a goal he’d be forgiven. Subban turns it over once and causes a goal? F THAT GUY! BENCHED. This is what happened with MAB over and over and over again – and I’m tired of it.

50. Julie H says:

For now, haha. Even when we win, we still find things to discuss. We are a very interesting breed of fans.

I have hope that he will pull up his socks, maybe before the 40 game mark and look like the player he was last season.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

51. habrez says:

I heard he was making a comeback at 49 last year but I guess he didn’t have it anymore.

We are talking about former Expos Oil Can right?

52. Jordio-oh says:

I, like everyone else, do have a limit on my patience and I agree that something does eventually need to change, but as of right now we are 3rd in the conference and eventhough i want us to strive for the best we can possibly do and I’m not satisfied with the play of Gomez, i still wouldn’t send him anywhere. The team wins and I’m happy….for now, hah.

53. Julie H says:

There is no justification. Sufficed to say: nothing gets fans and media buzzing like a little bit of controversy.

54. matraque says:

Can someone please justify this fan madness about PK?  Why is the coach and GM second guessed all the times over those kinds of decisions?

I once mentioned the incident involving PK in practices and people dismissed it like it had no values…  PK is lucky to get scratched after a couple bad games.  Obviously, the coach wanted to protect him.  JM needed a reason to bench him for what’s happening off our eyes and PK just gave it to him.

PK will become a better player because of this.  People need to chill…

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

55. Julie H says:

It’s sad that Gomez isn’t producing as well as he was last seaosn (or as well as we all EXPECT him to be producing) but let’s be realistic here. All of our players can’t score every game, it just doesn’t happen. Games like the one we had against the Canes a few weeks ago are rare (7 goals, 7 different scorers).

Realizing of course that we don’t know everything that goes on within the confines of the Bell Centre (although we wish we did), it would be nice to hear from someone about whether or not JM has sat Gomez down like Kovalev was sat down two seasons ago. His frustration and lack of productivity could be caused by any number of things. The point is: something has to change because he can’t spend the rest of the season in this dark cloud.

56. avatar_58 says:

How do you “go after a brad richards”? That requires a trade, what would they give up? Also I could have sworn the team said he wasn’t available.

57. Jordio-oh says:

niiiiiiice.

58. Jordio-oh says:

the HUGE risk*

You don’t just send a guy like Gomez to the minors because the number in his point column isn’t big enough. The Souray and Redden situations were different than this one. Normally I like to consider myself a proponent of the best player plays, but there are exceptions to almost every rule. This is one of those situations.

59. Kooch7800 says:

I think Boyd is done with the habs.  We have so many strong options with bottom 6.  Too be honest after the Halpern signing I thought it didn’t make sense to keep boyd.

Hopefully they can package him off so he can play somewhere else

60. Kooch7800 says:

Here is just a thought, if Gomez keeps up his play this poorely all year I would send him to the minors a la Souray or Redden and let him sit down there.  That way you just opened up a TON of cap room to go after a Brad Richards or even just to let Eller play second line centre and go after a big winger.

The risk is with that is Gomez is a good team guy and was a leader in the playoffs last year.

you can see Cammy getting frustrated playing on his line though and that isn’t good.

Man how good has the third line been though?  Darche, has been on fire.  They should be getting second line minutes

61. AndyF says:

Please don’t move HIO content to another company’s site.  I don’t use Facebook, I use http://habsinsideout.com.

Facebook is run by a corporation that uses your private information to make money.   Remember, if a product is free, then you’re the product.

AndyF

62. samTHEman says:

All in favor of a HIO community facebook group and page?

Nevermind about the page, just found it here

63. ZepFan2 says:

Dexter took him out first. That’s what happened to Boyd. 😉

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

64. SmartDog says:

LOL

I think he’s lined up for the Lazy-boy boxing day sale!

65. samTHEman says:

LMAO! i lol’d in the library

66. Corio says:

Feel bad for the kid, he needs to be traded imo..

67. HabsProf says:

Clarification:  If they don’t send him down within 30 days, the waiver expires and he has to clear waivers again.  This is per article 13.5 of the CBA (quoted below).  I think it has been more the 30 days since Boyd cleared (though I could be mistaken).  Since he hasn’t played since then, I suspect he would clear again.

Waiver Expiration. The rights granted under this Article to Loan a Player(s)
    who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers to a minor league club expire for any
    Player(s) who, after clearing Regular Waivers:
    (i) is not Loaned to a minor league club, or is Recalled from a minor
    league club (except on emergency recall); and
    (ii) remains on an NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) or
    plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative).

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

68. Say Ash says:

Who’s Boyd?

69. Danno says:

Gomez wasn’t there. At $8 million/year he’s not a Best Buy candidate

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

70. Malreg says:

Technically still on the team.  He could play a game if JM decides to use him.

Once a player clears waivers, the team does not have to send him down to the AHL, it just means that now they can send him down whenever they want and he wont have to go through waivers again.

71. likehoy says:

so whats the deal with boyd?

– Gomez is holding down the suck button

72. kakey says:

Maybe Nike wants to protect their asset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXT6CO4dA44