Habs clarify Subban’s security escort

AUDIO: Michael Cammalleri | Josh Gorges | Alexandre Picard | Yannick Weber | P.K. Subban | Jacques Martin

The Canadiens called this morning to clarify their role in the security escort that healthy scratch P.K. Subban had Saturday afternoon on the Bell Centre press gallery, addressed in my Gazette column of today.

The team says that senior management had no idea that Subban had this “bodyguard” with him, and at no time did senior management approve or arrange it. This was an instance of overzealousness on the part of press-gallery personnel, the team said, adding it didn’t want to be seen as paranoid in the matter of Subban not dressing for games. The club will have discussions with the appropriate parties, it said.

Any security the rookie defenceman had at his Sunday electronics-store autograph signing appearance in Laval, north of Montreal, was privately arranged. This is normal procedure in the case of events that are not official team functions.

* In practice this morning, Subban is skating as the seventh defenceman.

Will Jacques Martin alter a winning lineup for Ottawa’s visit to the Bell Centre tomorrow?

1. Julie H says:

You misread my comment slightly habs365, I said EVERY player can’t score every game. Crobsy and Stamkos are exceptions to the scoring rule.

I agree with you on the pay and the lack of productivity 100%. All I was pointing out is that all of our players can’t score every game, not even every second game. I hope team morale isn’t going down the drain because of him.

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

2. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t think JM wants PK to be a shutdown player either, he knows he needs puck-moving from the back end of the play so he needs to let Subban be Subban here and there but he wants PK to think about the defensive implications of his moves more often, hence your example of the tying goal against the Oilers. He needs to think about his defensive responsibilities as the Canadiens are winning on team defence.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

3. bwoar says:

This is really simple.

P.K., you played well but you let it get outta hand after the first warning (i.e. after the first game he cost us).  Suddenly another rookie who has worked his butt off to get a chance is getting it, and proving he deserves to play.  The message is a clear as day: there’s one spot, so don’t screw up or you may lose it.

All this hand-wringing about Subban makes me feel for Yannick Weber, a guy who’s paid as many dues as P.K. Subban, and contributed mightily to the success of the Hamilton Bulldogs.  Another kid who was lights-out in junior and has now proven himself at the AHL level.  He’s earned his shot, and with Subban’s miscues Weber is getting that golden chance.  And so far, he’s played better than I expected.

I kinda feel that while loads of people are Subban-this and Subban-that, there’s a guy who’s taken his first steps at proving his NHL readiness, and his play gets forgotten.  It’s a shame because Weber brings 2 things we really need: 1) simple, steady defensive play and 2) booming and accurate slapper for the PP.

If Subban wasn’t in the picture, would we not be getting excited about Weber?  I know I like what I’ve seen a helluva lot so far.

Boone & Co, more Weber interviews please, less P.K. “The Show” Subban until the kid actually returns to the lineup.

4. JIMVINNY says:

I’m not suggesting that Martin is trying to turn PK into a shutdown d-man or anything, just that he needs to be a lot more discerning about the times where he going to take a chance.  For example, diving at a bouncing puck with two opponents coming at you while on the PP with a 1 goal lead late in the 3rd is not a good idea.

As for your paragraphs 2 and 3, I totally agree.  Regarding Markov, I’ve always felt that he could be as dangerous as Mike Green, if he were willing to sacrifice his defensive game to the extent that Green does.  As it happens, he isn’t, so he’s never gotten the recognition that Green does.  Like you, I was hoping that PK would have Markov to learn from, since he has mastered the art of picking his spots.

5. Malreg says:

Agreed, Lapierre deserves to sit, at least for next game.  He’s invisible in more games then Kovalev on a scoring drought.

We will need all 4 lines on Friday and Saturday though, with a tough back-to-back against Detroit and Toronto.

6. habs365 says:

julie maybe you should tell sidney crosby players can’t score every game..he’s not doing too bad..if he doesn’t score every game..look out the next one..he’ll score 2 or 3..I don’t think it’s so much Gomez is not scoring..the rest of the team is looking at what he’s been paid for and no results..if you came to work mon to fri and some lady doing the same work as you, getting paid more and doing very little how would you feel? I think you’re comment would be different…….

7. filincal says:

The mentoring by Markov is going to be a big issue this year. I think everyone in the organization invisioned Subban learning from Markov very quickly, but this throws a wrench into plans.

I think Subbie’s a smart Cat…he knows what’s going on in this situation (pressbox time), and will be stronger for it.

I BLEED BLEU BLANC ET ROUGE!!!

8. thorandresson says:

I personally don’t like it when they play 7D, it makes the 4th line useless.  I’d say they give Spacek or Gorges a rest (they’re the 2 who are playing on their opposite sides).  Subban played pretty well with Gill earlier this year, and Hamrlik can play well with young inexperienced rookies.  Gorges has look like he’s been playing hurt of late, so why not let him rest and recuperate.  And Spacek is old and could probably use a rest.  But then again, try telling them that, I’m sure they won’t be very happy about being “healthy” scratches.

9. Kooch7800 says:

100% correct SmartDog

10. kakey says:

But he hated the Nordiques even more.

11. nick says:

I find it funny that this is all about Subban.

Given the CH found out that Markov is out for the season, its my feeling PG and JM needed to see what they had, and whether or not they needed to go shopping for a D.

The only way to do this is to play Weber and see how he plays.

12. Kooch7800 says:

we have a ton of assests that we could move, Deharnais, Webber, Boyd, Pulushaj (sp?).  We need scoring punch in a bad way. I don’t think we will get a Richards type player due to salary cap but he would fit in nicely.

Dallas will trade him this year for sure.

13. MTLForever says:

I didn’t change my picture to PK til a few days ago when people were not fond of PK. I had markov, gorges, gionta and cammy before.

Picard is still young and he was signed as 7th D so i can see him sitting.

14. SeriousFan09 says:

Somewhat agree with this, I think we’ll see some of the PK Subban that lit up the AHL last season but just not on a very regular basis, I agree Boucher seemed to engineer his system to work with a puck-moving D, as that is the philosophy of his 1-3-1 Forechecking.

Subban I think is a player who even in Juniors, was very used to being one of the best players, if not the best player on the ice in each game he played and having a talent level that simply let him cover up any mistake he made with slick backwards skating or a deft move from his stick. However at this level, it’s a lot harder for him to freewheel and get away with it. JM wants PK to rein himself in and pick his spots carefully when he does make an offensive rush.

Why I always felt Markov would be so important to the lineup this season, not just as a player but as a mentor to Subban. An experienced puck-mover who always knew when to pick his spots, his guidance to PK would have meant a ton for his growth this season.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

15. jimmy shaker says:

Play 7D and PK with Picard, then let Weber go every other shift with hammer or spacek.  Laps is the guy that needs to sit.  Pyatt at least kills penalties so Laps is the odd guy out here.  Make it happen JM or your fired!

Shaker

16. lakechamplain says:

So the rookie is being sent a message by the brass;  but what’s the point of extending this beyond a game? Because we’re on a winning ‘streak’? Yeah, right.  It seems more like the time-honored tradition of Montreal making new players(like Pouliot) or rookies to become so afraid of making a mistake that they’ll freeze up and lose all the natural flow that allows a good player to function.  Hey, if they aren’t going to play Subban on D, why not try him as a wing on the top 2 lines; we sure could use a another top-sixer(and they’re not going to bring up Max-Pac it seems until he scores hat tricks every 5 games).

The Habs beat San Jose because Price came up big and we scored some timely goals, not because we outskated or outplayed them.  Subban had expectations raised far beyond what is fair to expect–welcome to Montreal–but if the coaching staff can’t help this kid, and others, develop at a steady pace they’re gonna lose him, either on the ice or in the future.  Lighten up management and let him and Weber and Picard become the core of our D in the near future.

17. Chips says:

Pats are going down tonight and wasn’t it marvelous how my Raiders shut down the Charger offensive machine!!! Go Raiders!!! And my Suns won too!!! It was a tough day 15 hr day on the couch yesterday, I tell ya!!!!

25 in 2011

18. sidhu says:

We should play 7 D — give the young guys (PK, Weber, Picard) more experience  and also allow the older guys (everyone else) a chance to play less minutes and rest up relatively speaking.

So who sits, maybe Pyatt?  I’d say Halpern, but that was roundly shot down by the Habs I/O congnoscenti yesterday.

19. JD_ says:

I put a good dollop of heresy in my coffee every mornin’, 24C.

20. JIMVINNY says:

This bodyguard debacle aside, I can’t say I’m surprised there is controversy surrounding PK.  I really wondered how Martin would be able to stuff a freewheeling, flamboyant, devil-may-care attitude into his rigid-but-effective defensive scheme.  For 20 games, I thought I had been too hasty, that these two hockey minds at totally different ends of the spectrum had figured out how to make things fit.  Maybe not.

PK appears to have tried to revert to his Guy Boucher-supported mentality of the team on the ice revolving around him.  I’m not talking about him being arrogant, or having a monstrous ego, just that he was used to having the freedom to do what he wanted, while knowing that the rest of the guys on the ice would cover for him if things went haywire.  Unfortunately for him, that’s not the way JM’s system works, and I think the trip to the pressbox was designed to remind him of that.  Also unfortunately for him, JM rarely messes with a winning lineup, so he’s going to have to wait for a loss or an injury to get back in.

His attitude is fine, his play will be fine, but until Martin retires or is fired, I don’t think we’ll be seeing the PK that lit up the AHL last year.  Martin’s system just doesn’t have room for that type of individual play from a rearguard.

21. nick says:

A couple million to move some snakes?!

I used to do it with a net and a stick… moving 10 or so at a time out of neighbours yards for a few bucks as a kid.

I really don’t see the need for a few million… That is unless the federal government is involved… and their making a lake :P

22. Thomas says:

Stubbs, I have never had the pleasure of meeting you as of yet, hopefully some day.  I usually find your work very interesting, relevant and good insight into my favourite hockey team.

With this article though, I do find myself disagreeing with you…you called it a circus upstairs.  I don’t see how one player, having a person with him, looking over his shoulder is a circus.  Unnecessary yes, but a circus, I don’t see it.  A circus would be if he rolled in with an entourage of 10 thugs, being rude and obnoxious. It’s only a cirucs if someone tries to make it that, and it seems here that you are trying make a big issue out of something that isn’t relevant whatsoever to what is happening on the ice.  Furthermore, I don’t understand the purpose of this article which seems to be an almost personal attack on PK himself.

As well you’re comment about him being worried about being questioned by a “wretched reporter” seems to be a bit much here, almost sour grapes.  Again, you seem to have taken the situation personally, and are responding in a way that is unfair to PK.  Why make a big deal of it, why write about it in the papers before asking him yourself, why put this cloud over him?  I just don’t get it, and really, who cares if he had an escort?  Now a new controversy has been created, congratulations!

23. Julie H says:

If you stand still you’re dead…wowzow. I don’t disagree that we don’t have areas where adjustments could be made, I’m just saying we can’t constantly be negative.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

♪Click click boom! Just as soon as we hit the room you can hear ‘em holler♪

24. shiram says:

Bias much??

just kidding!

But i would not worry about PK, he will be back. Weber needed to have at least a try on the D, and JM probably wanted to evaluate him now that Markov is out.

But Spaced/Hammer have been playing well, so it’s down to Gorges, Gill or Picard on who to rotate out, and im thinking Picard might get the short end of it.

JD – What a crappy post.  No mention of Halak hittin’ the road, Gomez hittin’ the skids or Subban hittin’ the press box:-)  WTF gives with you, man?

A stranger in a strange land, indeed.

26. Mattyleg says:

Of course we are!

He’s still got it: Look!

…16 people can’t be wrong!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. MTLForever says:

I hope PK is in the line up, i don’t think we should scratch our best rookie Dman for another game. Give someone a rest or Gorges, he’s hurting.

Btw for those of you who wanted Guerin…he retired.

28. SmartDog says:

You know where winning teams that sit on their laurels go?  Golfing.

Not sure who it was, but I think it was one of the former players on HNIC who said “even a winning team has to constantly be looking for ways to improve. If you stand still you’re dead.”  No truer words.  Just because we’re winning doens’t mean we can’t or shouldn’t improve. Our 2nd line in particular….physical play… play in front of the goalie… none of these are strengths.

29. Mattyleg says:

Zzzinggg!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

30. ZepFan2 says:

Yup, that’s him.

Johnny Lee Miller aka Jordan Chase.

————————————————————————

“Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.”

~Serge Savard~

31. Mattyleg says:

Yeaaaaah!!!

A Kippah-Trick!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

32. Mattyleg says:

Kerry Fraser always hated us!!

Gosh!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. shiram says:

The question is will they get thrown on ice?

34. PrimeTime says:

Fans will always 2nd guess management but that doesn’t make their decisions wrong. Look how many “right” decisions have been made in the past couple of years to help put this team where it is right now. Fans generally disagreed with all of them. Management are professionals who have far greater intelligence and a much greater understanding of how to reach the organizations goals. Right now, JM feels that for the best interest of the team, and probably the player, PK needs a timeout and learn some things about being a team hockey player. He’s a great talent and will be a star but no one is bigger than the team.

35. Say Ash says:

Is the bad guy sickboy from trainspotting?

36. Bugs says:

So how ’bout them Cowboys? Yeah, baby. Told yehs about the Colts: questioning themselves. And no RBs.

Ravens HAD it. They HAD it, man! Aaargh! Friggin Polamalu, man… Woulda put me 12-2 afore tonight’s game on Prédictions. (Dropped CLE-MIA and, of course, SD-OAK).

Patriots tonight.

Pff, Jets think they’re so tough; think they’re sooo good; think they’re a real team, pah!

A little lesson in manners, I think, tonight.

12-3, best I can hope for. No chance in hell…

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

37. JD_ says:

* I couldn’t believe how biased the refs were against the Habs on Sunday afternoon at the Bell Centre. It was totally blatant. At one point, Kerry Fraser ruled Damphousse’s stick blade had an illegal curve and awarded the HoFers a 3-on-nothin’ penalty shot, which they promptly scored on, followin’ which a Claude Lemieux breakaway was whistled down because HoFer head coach, Guy Lapointe, called a timeout in mid-play. This was all in the span of a couple of minutes. Unbelievable. I didn’t even know which page of the rulebook to look at. Fraser should seriously consider retirin’ cause I really don’t think he quite understands what’s goin’ on.

* Man, the kids were alright on Saturday afternoon. The DEP line – you know, nothin’ fancy but they always have what you’re lookin’ for – was all over the place, recordin’ 7 of the Habs’ 19 shots and the three of them were always well-positioned away from the play. Had my eyes on Eller and Poolio, in particular. Their play just smacked of thoughtful coachin’. Price was, well, Price. I can pay no greater compliment. Niemi, on the other hand, demonstrated why his agent Bill Zito must live in a snow globe. The guys on the other side I watched away from the play more intently were Thornton and Heatley. One forgets how absolutely huge Joe is. One also notices that he seems to be allergic to his own blue line, never really ever approachin’ it, and if he has the puck and you really want it, well, it’s yours. Good times.

* Piece in today’s Gazette on how Transport Quebec will have to spend a few bucks to relocate about 100 snakes that reside in the area of the former Turcot yards, all part of the massive highway reconstruction project in and around the interchange. Speakin’ of creatures that live under rocks, nothin’ particularly heroic about crawlin’ back out of a hole one so unheroically crawled into. Given the circumstances, and ignorin’ the disingenuous half-measures, it’s the least that can be expected.

* The reason Ron Wilson is almost certainly toast after the next embarrassin’ outin’ by the Loafs: Burkie needs the breathin’ room, is addicted to management theater, and, most importantly, will never, ever be called out for firin’ Ron Wilson. To wit, the inevitable headline, “Wilson Axed – Burke had no choice but to cut his old friend loose.” Cue the violins.

* Would love to be a fly on the wall at the almost certainly ongoin’, off-the-record, behind-closed-doors discussions with Wilson’s replacement. On the fair assumption Burkie will not dare bring in an experiment – at this point, he just can’t afford to take that kind of risk – one has to imagine the guy on the other side of the table is credible, has been around the block a few times, and is makin’ it well clear that he will not be ground into the dust in T.O., besprinkled among the scattered cinders and ashes of Burkie’s gasoline-soaked delusions of competence.

38. avatar_58 says:

Because some of us are tired of being an “okay” team and are impatient, seeing signs of a star in PK Subban. A star that just MAY help us become one of those feared teams ala the Pens with Crosby or Washington with Ovy. All teams have that one player you hate because they are DAMN good. Subban looks to be that for the habs in the future.

So yeah, obviously his benching gets under our skin. No offence to Weber, whom I also like. I just wish we had one less defenceman so we could enjoy PK fulltime. I *though* Markov going down would make this happen, guess not.

Aftet watching Martin CONSTANTLY insist on MAB I have zero faith in his defenceman choices. He doesn’t seem to judge by anything but goals for/against, and ignores ALL turnovers and other nonsense. If weber turned it over 20 times but didn’t cause a goal he’d be forgiven. Subban turns it over once and causes a goal? F THAT GUY! BENCHED. This is what happened with MAB over and over and over again – and I’m tired of it.

39. Julie H says:

For now, haha. Even when we win, we still find things to discuss. We are a very interesting breed of fans.

I have hope that he will pull up his socks, maybe before the 40 game mark and look like the player he was last season.

“I know you’re wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear that your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?”

40. habrez says:

I heard he was making a comeback at 49 last year but I guess he didn’t have it anymore.

We are talking about former Expos Oil Can right?

41. Jordio-oh says:

I, like everyone else, do have a limit on my patience and I agree that something does eventually need to change, but as of right now we are 3rd in the conference and eventhough i want us to strive for the best we can possibly do and I’m not satisfied with the play of Gomez, i still wouldn’t send him anywhere. The team wins and I’m happy….for now, hah.

42. Julie H says:

There is no justification. Sufficed to say: nothing gets fans and media buzzing like a little bit of controversy.

43. matraque says:

Can someone please justify this fan madness about PK?  Why is the coach and GM second guessed all the times over those kinds of decisions?

I once mentioned the incident involving PK in practices and people dismissed it like it had no values…  PK is lucky to get scratched after a couple bad games.  Obviously, the coach wanted to protect him.  JM needed a reason to bench him for what’s happening off our eyes and PK just gave it to him.

PK will become a better player because of this.  People need to chill…

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard

44. Julie H says:

It’s sad that Gomez isn’t producing as well as he was last seaosn (or as well as we all EXPECT him to be producing) but let’s be realistic here. All of our players can’t score every game, it just doesn’t happen. Games like the one we had against the Canes a few weeks ago are rare (7 goals, 7 different scorers).

Realizing of course that we don’t know everything that goes on within the confines of the Bell Centre (although we wish we did), it would be nice to hear from someone about whether or not JM has sat Gomez down like Kovalev was sat down two seasons ago. His frustration and lack of productivity could be caused by any number of things. The point is: something has to change because he can’t spend the rest of the season in this dark cloud.

45. avatar_58 says:

How do you “go after a brad richards”? That requires a trade, what would they give up? Also I could have sworn the team said he wasn’t available.

46. Jordio-oh says:

niiiiiiice.

47. Jordio-oh says:

the HUGE risk*

You don’t just send a guy like Gomez to the minors because the number in his point column isn’t big enough. The Souray and Redden situations were different than this one. Normally I like to consider myself a proponent of the best player plays, but there are exceptions to almost every rule. This is one of those situations.

48. Kooch7800 says:

I think Boyd is done with the habs.  We have so many strong options with bottom 6.  Too be honest after the Halpern signing I thought it didn’t make sense to keep boyd.

Hopefully they can package him off so he can play somewhere else

49. Kooch7800 says:

Here is just a thought, if Gomez keeps up his play this poorely all year I would send him to the minors a la Souray or Redden and let him sit down there.  That way you just opened up a TON of cap room to go after a Brad Richards or even just to let Eller play second line centre and go after a big winger.

The risk is with that is Gomez is a good team guy and was a leader in the playoffs last year.

you can see Cammy getting frustrated playing on his line though and that isn’t good.

Man how good has the third line been though?  Darche, has been on fire.  They should be getting second line minutes

50. AndyF says:

Please don’t move HIO content to another company’s site.  I don’t use Facebook, I use http://habsinsideout.com.

Facebook is run by a corporation that uses your private information to make money.   Remember, if a product is free, then you’re the product.

AndyF

51. samTHEman says:

All in favor of a HIO community facebook group and page?

Nevermind about the page, just found it here

52. ZepFan2 says:

Dexter took him out first. That’s what happened to Boyd. ;)

————————————————————————

~Serge Savard~

53. SmartDog says:

LOL

I think he’s lined up for the Lazy-boy boxing day sale!

54. samTHEman says:

LMAO! i lol’d in the library

55. Corio says:

Feel bad for the kid, he needs to be traded imo..

56. HabsProf says:

Clarification:  If they don’t send him down within 30 days, the waiver expires and he has to clear waivers again.  This is per article 13.5 of the CBA (quoted below).  I think it has been more the 30 days since Boyd cleared (though I could be mistaken).  Since he hasn’t played since then, I suspect he would clear again.

Waiver Expiration. The rights granted under this Article to Loan a Player(s)
    who is otherwise required to clear Regular Waivers to a minor league club expire for any
    Player(s) who, after clearing Regular Waivers:
    (i) is not Loaned to a minor league club, or is Recalled from a minor
    league club (except on emergency recall); and
    (ii) remains on an NHL roster for thirty (30) days (cumulative) or
    plays ten (10) NHL Games (cumulative).

_____________________________________

They brought their f____ing toys with them!

57. Say Ash says:

Who’s Boyd?

58. Danno says:

Gomez wasn’t there. At $8 million/year he’s not a Best Buy candidate

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

59. Malreg says:

Technically still on the team.  He could play a game if JM decides to use him.

Once a player clears waivers, the team does not have to send him down to the AHL, it just means that now they can send him down whenever they want and he wont have to go through waivers again.

60. likehoy says:

so whats the deal with boyd?

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

61. kakey says:

Maybe Nike wants to protect their asset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXT6CO4dA44

Hehe… look forward to it :)

63. punkster says:

Oh, you will definitely pay for that comment Mike. I’m spiking the punch at the next Yeats Yard Party just for you.

64. db says:

Amazing how governments get blamed for getting hosed by the private sector.  If the gov is involved then the prices from the private sector more than triple…. yeah, our money’s being wasted by the gov, but its our neighbours that take it.

Oh come on… he had a bad game. Happens. Everybody on this team does… a lot more often the Subban. I am sure a good talk or walk holding hand along St Laurent river would do the trick just as well.

Martin, as fantastic coach as he is, does have his flaws, and one of them he plays favorites (for whatever reasons. Cammi’s a$$ could have been sent to press box on that same OT goal play just as fast as Subban’s.

Subban is not a loose cannon like Avery. The kid has brains, but he probably also has pride and is subject to common human emotions. Which means the more he is in JMs doghouse, the more likely he is to not want to play for that coach.

Btw, right back at ya, Andy. Just providing not so constructive disagreement  here :)

Good idea… I typically ignore anything you have to say, but I might listen to Ian :)

67. punkster says:

Wacky. Totally wacky THIS PLACE IS SOME DAYS!@!!&^$RIUT YIP(*)}_)(*

68. punkster says:

Mike, I believe you have to treat different people…well, differently. You don’t treat young, learning, recently promoted rookies the same way as you treat established players or forwards the way you treat defencemen. Damn straight he’s in JM’s doghouse and if he’s really listening he’ll learn from this. If he puts on an injured pride, emotional or “I don’t want to play for this coach” attitude then he won’t play…and if he does those things then I don’t want him on the team, talent or no. Realistic scenario? PK is as smart as he is talented so that makes him very smart. He’ll learn from this and improve. He won’t backslide and sulk.

Here’s an idea. Let’s ask Ian Cobb what he thinks of all this.

69. Gorges_the_great says:

Yes! In my opinion, that is exactly what’s happening…I wouldn’t be surprise if JM used those exact words…

The only problem is that it makes TOO MUCH sense…where’s the conspriacy theory?

70. Kappy says:

Good post, I totally agree with you.  I think that conversation with PK & JM needs to happen and probably has happened.  I was thinking the same thing, putting PK up front seems very logical to me.  I mean if they do it with Weber then why not PK?  He has much better puck handling and skating skill then Weber.  They could also put him on D for a few shifts throughout the game to cut some of the older guys minutes.  I like it, it seems like a good fit and worth try.  Unfortunatly that means a forward has to sit and right now that guy would be Lapierre. He is contributing the least amount to the outcome of the game.

71. patience is a virtue says:

Exactly.

But we are a better team with Subban on the ice.  We missed his poise and puck movement against SJ.  If Gorges doesn’t need a break, perhaps Gill does?  Play Weber and Subban.

72. Chorske says:

SIZE! SIZE!SIZE!SIZE!SIZESIZESIZEMURF! SMURFSMURFSMURFSMURF!!!

GritgritgritGRIIIIT!SAND! JAM!! JAMJAMJAM!!! Size!

More incoherence from the Size Tourettes’ crowd

73. Bugs says:

How do you explain his excellent first season with us then?

I fear your cynicism doesn’t apply in this case, Abso.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

74. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Dude, if I had a nickel for every NHL player I’ve seen who magically “steps it up” during their last season before free-agency I’d be rich.  Nothing against Hammer personally, it just seems to be the way it works in the NHL.

75. Bugs says:

Not talkin about your other nickels; talkin about The Hamr. And concerning The Hamr, your cynicism doesn’t apply. Cuz he was EXCELLENT first year of his contract with us. Yes? Good.

As for any other example you wanna use for a player only steppin up final year of their deal, ok, fine, whatever, but you can’t slag The Hamr for it.

Cuz he “stepped up” from Day 1.

Word.

Tragically misunderstood, please bite

76. joeybarrie says:

Its funny to me this saying of ‘if I had a nickle for everytime….’  If you have a nickle for every contract in the nhl you would not have very much money… If you had a nickle for every player in the nhl, you would have less than $40 a year…

I guess it depends on your definiton of rich… Maybe you should ask for a quarter…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

77. Hagar says:

That’s the “goodwill” season Bugs. It’s where players play a bit harder as a way of endearing themselves to the fans. It’s about a good first impression & buying yourself a bit of slack for later should your play slip a bit. Not every player believes in it, so it’s OK if you’ve never noticed it. That said, I’m glad Hammer’s having a great year so far. I could really care less about the cause.

78. Hagar says:

I was listening to a podcast about eastern canadian hockey teams & one of the guys mentioned that some players blow during contract year because of the added anxiety & pressure. It’s the first time I’ve ever heard of this phenomenon. I’m going to have to study all players in a contract year & see how many are sucky/steady/improved. I’ll find out what the split is. Settle this debate once & for all.

79. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Have you ever walked 18 holes in the sun?  All the while trying to maintain a good game of golf? A lot harder than it may seem to someone watching from their couch at home.

80. andrewberkshire says:

Yeah, that’s all well and good. I’ve played golf. You can get tired by the end, but physically demanding? Come on. It’s more physically demanding to go on a nature hike. You’re talking about walking around in the sun for a few hours, with a moderately heavy bag. It’s not that hard.

81. _Habsoloutly_ says:

hahaha, that was me when I started golfing.  I just figured you were supposed to drink when you play.  Now I save the drinking for afterwards.

82. punkster says:

Oh now, there you’ve gone and done it Punchy. You could have bad-mouthed JM or Price or even Dave Keon. But golf? Them’s fightin’ words my friend. I’m about to open a can of whup-ass.

83. Say Ash says:

It’s funny how defensive golfers get about their sport’s legitimacy.

84. JIMVINNY says:

I can certainly speak to the effect sun can have on a person’s golf game, especially when walking a 7 kilometer course, while carrying a 30 lb golf bag.  I really struggle on the last half-dozen holes.  Of course, that could be attributed to the fact that up to that point, I’ve averaged a can of beer per hole…

85. punkster says:

Hey, some call it a game, some a sport. To me it’s a game that, for the most part, requires some level of physical fitness to perform regularly. Not the once a week, hack around the course chugging brews and smoking cigars players of course. Those of us who play more often tend to be obsessed by the game. But it’s a good obsession ;)

86. terrygain says:

Anyone who would suggest that PK didn’t have enough confidence before Martin put him in the doghouse is not serious. I think PK has the character to survive Martin’s incompetence, but he shouldn’t have to. Martin should bench himself for his stubborn refusal to play Pouliot on the second line. Any coach who would play Lapierre with Gomez and Kostitsyn has no clue. Lapierre is a 3rd or 4th line player.

You didn’t deal with the substance of Tricolore’s argument, which is that Martin sucks. Ryan O’Byrne is plus 5 with Colorado. A team that is desperate for size just lost a 6’5″, 250 pound player because of Martin’s incompetence.

87. punkster says:

But he doesn’t suck. That’s the point. His argument is Martin is a moron because he never won anything and he eroded PKs confidence and because of all that the paying customers aren’t getting what they pay for. I just pointed out the flaws in his argument,

88. andrewberkshire says:

Don’t know what Gainey did to Todd for him to hate him so much, but you’re right. He despises Gainey, and its very obvious. I think his hatred for Gainey was a big reason why he hated Price, because he was Gainey’s boy. Likewise why he hates Gomez, Gainey acquired him.

89. SeriousFan09 says:

Question for fellow Bell Internet users: Are you having trouble with any particular part of your service lately? They’ve been choking my video streaming (Including watching simple highlights from NHL.com any time of day) and it’s made watching NHL games during “Peak Hours” Impossible through streaming sites.

One place I posted, one fellow mentioned what he does most, play games online has been very disruptive the past few days. If this continues, I’m going to have see how fast I can cancel Bell and get an alternative service installed, hopefully before the Holidays kick in and I can’t get a serviceman out to install.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

90. kempie says:

FWIW, using Bell here in Peterborough and everything’s been just fine.

91. secretdragonfly says:

Oh yes, we had a similar experience and after many, many frustrating conversations with Bell’s technical service from an undisclosed third world country, in which we were told there is “no problem”,  we switched our internet and phone service to Cogeco and what a difference (we kept our Shaw satellite service because we are very pleased with it). Do yourself a favour and DUMP BELL NOW.  The funny part is when we cancelled with Bell, they didn’t even ask us why, even though we’d been customers for many years – now that we’ve switched, we get weekly letters from them trying to get us back – fat chance.

92. SeriousFan09 says:

Last time I used Cogeco they suspended my account twice for overuse, I knew Bell at worst was going to charge me overuse fees (which I didn’t mind paying, until now when they’re basically screwing me). ATM, I’m examining Shaw for their policy.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

93. secretdragonfly says:

Robert, as long as you pick the right package (overuse???? egads) you shouldn’t have a problem.  Check out the link:

94. SeriousFan09 says:

Cogeco doesn’t service Brantford it turns out, thanks anyway though. Looks like I’m stuck with switching to Rogers, anyone know if I should fear that?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

95. secretdragonfly says:

Only if they end up buying MLSE (in which case you’re screwed).

With Bell it depends on what service you have. If you’re with their old DSL system and you’re far from the CO peak hours could degrade you service. Do you need to reboot your modem often? I had issues with Bell’s DSL service in the past too.

Then I switched to Fibe 10 a few months back and my service has been stable since.

This is not a paid endorsement by HH.

97. Clay4bc says:

You should mind paying for “overuse”. Years of living overseas have shown me that internet can be very cheap, with NO restrictions on use (not including government censorship in China, but I’m talking amount, not substance). Canada had the highest priced internet rates in the world, and you get the least out of it, Huge scam, and people need to speak out.

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

98. habs365 says:

in the era of the new nhl today..two things you better have if you want to win a cup….Toughness and Scoring..I don’t care how good the team speed,defense,or goaltending is..if you can’t match the other teams..Toughness and Scoring..you’ll hang in for awhile..than it’ll be over..like philly did to the Habs..the Habs got pushed around and they couldn’t score enough goals..the Habs defense and goaltending was as good or better than philly’s..but they didn’t have the other components..TS..a team may do great in the regular season..playoff time different all together..we can make all the comments we want til april..than we’ll see if PG and JM did their homework…..

99. SeriousFan09 says:

I can’t get Fibe in Brantford, apparently we’re too small-market to bother with the upgraded DSL lines.

I’ve rebooted my modem more often in the last 5 days than I had in 5 months prior to this issue, the modem is one of their newest models it just isn’t letting me see what I want to see.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

100. pierre lapuck says:

Rogers scares me.  I had a phone stolen and they were true aceholes about dealing with the issue.  When I disputed their billing I found they have no dispute process….they just send it out to collections.  When I cancelled they begged me to come bqack and even offered to CREDIT my account the disputed charges!  Thye can’t be trusted IMHO.

101. SeriousFan09 says:

Internet and Cell, I’m completely aware of their outrageous practices but I am limited by where I live (Brantford has few avenues for ISPs I’ve actually heard of) and the fact that the Conservative government is fine with letting the corporations hose the masses.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

102. andrewberkshire says:

Bell is known for restricting access to people who they feel are overusing. They’re famous for charging you a ton extra and not telling you about it or explaining why.

103. punkster says:

I can`t get fibe on the mountain but my Bell high speed is working fine and I`ve never had an issue. However, being a pensioner from this fine (cough f`ìn wtf cough) employer I may be slightly biased.

104. DavidKB says:

How about TTSS? Team Toughness, Speed and Scoring.

105. punkster says:

Gee, Philly won the Cup? Whoda thunk it?

Seriously though it’s a bit oversimplistic to label toughness as important as scoring. The game is a balance of all those elements you mention; scoring, goaltending, defence, speed and toughness being the most accepted attributes. But I would argue that their importance and impact on whether or not you win a Cup are ranked in that order. In other words you can win a Cup without toughness and maybe speed if you have all the others working for you but without scoring or goaltending you’re dead meat.

And by the way, we WILL make all the comments we want until April. Then we’ll see if Philly can repeat ;)

106. Hagar says:

So Weber’s been great and sitting Subban is silly. Josh is hurt. So scratch Josh and give him a bit of time off to heal proper, w/o having to deal with the wear & tear of a hockey game. Makes sense, no? We’re not playing playoff hockey yet. We can be bold.

107. Chorske says:

You forgot to mention size.

108. Chorske says:

We are now with Videotron, for the following reasons. Warning: it’s gonna get shilly in here.

- download speed limitations to less than what I was getting with a phone modem, and when I called them on it, they lied to my face about wherther they were shaping traffic– the company came out a month after that conversation and admitted they were doing it- and that it was OUR FAULT for, you know, downloading stuff.

- mysterious bill increases- so when I called to complain about slow speeds, the woman explained to me that I was susbscribed to an old bundle, and if I upgraded everything would be fine and IT WOULD COST ME LESS. But DL speed remained unchanged, and the bill jumped by 60+$. When I complained, they told me that the low cost was for a limited time only. Oh, and I had exceeded my bandwidth limit- an entirely NEW limit that had been added without telling me when I “upgraded”.

- we realized we could switch to Videotron, pay the same amout, and get phone + internet AND cable. We switched, the process took TWO DAYS, the bills were exactly as promised, and someone followed up with us after two weeks to make sure we were happy with the service. Bell called us too- to offer us a “special deal” to get us back. I told the guy that they lost me as a customer, and if there was a better rate to be had, why not offer it to me when I was a long term customer, instead of waiting until I effing hated their guts and left? Since then, I have received a notice that they owe me 35$… but there is no cheque in the envelope. I imagine they think that I’ll think, GOLLY, a 35$ credit!! Lets go back to Bell.

I tell everyone who will listen: make the switch. Videotron is awesome. And the download speeds! VROOM.

109. Chorske says:

I’m with what twocents says below. Jack Todd is still as full of it today as he was yesterday.

110. tricolore says:

Guess we’ll agree to disagree. There are never flaws in arguments. See all of this is a blog so you can express your opinion. And there is no right or wrong in an opinion. It’s based on perspective.

As expected Subban was weak this evening for ‘most’ of the game. He had a good 3rd. I know he’ll come out of it. It’s just that Martin, was wrong, in my opinion, as expressed by many including Bergeron, Melnyk, Hrudey, and Maclean.

Martin never won a cup. Let’s see where he goes with this. Babcock outcoached him in the game vs Detroit.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

111. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed. Especially the BS of “I guess I was right all along because I called it way back when in my imagination.” Self absorbed hack who can’t truthfully admit he’s an arrogant ass.

112. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed 100%. Videotron is amazingly consistent, and their customer service is fantastic. You never get the runaround like Bell gives you, they’re devoted to fixing the problem asap. I have a 50mb/s download package with 150 gigs of download/upload per month. The Price is very reasonable and I get at least 42mb/s 24/7, most of the time I get over 48. Amazing to be able to download a movie in 5 minutes, or a song in seconds.

113. tricolore says:

Martin is a moron. He’s taken this Subban ‘sitting’ too far. This kid is the most exciting player this team has seen since Roy’s wink. A slight exaggeration, but not by much. I appreciate and admire Ted Byrd for his commentary on this evening’s CTV news telecast. As a paying customer, if the most valuable team prospect and its most exciting player (minus Carey Price) is sitting on the bench, we are not getting our money’s worth.

Congratulations coach, whose never won anything, you’ve just managed to erode the kid’s confidence. How? He will now be afraid to make mistakes. I hope he proves me wrong. I want nothing more but success for him. He could be the best defensemen this team has seen since Chelios and Robinson.

Hang in there PK. Martin won’t last that long.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

114. punkster says:

I said it down there somewhere…he’ll be off the bandwagon at the first hint of controversy.

115. larisalapointe says:

What’s he going to say? I was wrong when I said I was wrong? haha I think he will shut up about Price and find another victim.

116. punkster says:

Flaws in your arguments:

- if this ruins PK’s confidence then he didn’t have enough confidence to be promoted in the first place…back to Hamilton PK…give me a break, this kid has more confidence than anyone on the team with the exception of Price

- JM never won anything…top 10 winningest coach in NHL history, plus a few things like a Jack Adams, a President’s Trphy and 3 divisional titles

- using the paying customer argument would also put you at odds with many membesr of this team at some time or other (Price last season for example)

JM will likely be here to the end of his contract if not longer. PK will hopefully be here for the next 10 to 15 years if not longer.

117. punkster says:

Shout out to Ian Cobb.

Ian, You know the kid and you know your hockey. I’d like to hear what you have to say about the PK thing.

118. VancouverHab says:

Boy, do I agree wholeheartedly with this. Perfectly said. OK: I’d add (vis-à-vis his pitiful hate-campaign against Bob Gainey) ‘self-righteous and mean-spirited’.

119. andrewberkshire says:

Absolutely Dave. He’s not worth the minute it takes to read his trash.

120. shiram says:

I would love to see him succeed at it too. And i’m guessing its good on team morale and bonding too.

121. avatar_58 says:

If he does it I will probably piss off a few neighbours cheering….lol

122. DearyLeary says:

He’ll get one by the end of the year.  It will be glorious.  Almost as glorious as his moustache.

123. Ayan_SB says:

After the team’s morning skate, Price reemerged clad in a track-suit
    and without his goalie skates to have some fun and take a few shots.

“Like I’ve already said, everyone has to chip in offensively,”
    explained Price. “I’m trying too. I’ll get one eventually. It’s been a
    dream of mine ever since I was a little kid, to score a goal in the
    NHL.”

124. dbens says:

disagree on the toughest even in the entire world of sports but anybody who’s ever played golf before knows that its infinitely harder then it looks and those guys are insanely talented

Chris – Touche!  You got me there, for sure.

126. andrewberkshire says:

They are insanely talented, no doubt about it. However you don’t have to be an athlete to be a great golfer. If golf was anywhere close to one of the most physically demanding sports out there, it wouldn’t be dominated by older players, because as the body ages it can no longer perform the same tasks physically. Hockey, football, even soccer are more physically demanding than golf.

127. Say Ash says:

John Daly makes a living at this “grinding” sport.

128. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Alright so 27 games played so far – I think it’s a fair number to judge the pace of the players over an entire year. Obviously this can change, as players can have a hot second-half of the season, and a few can cool off in the second half as well. But this is just based on how the players have been playing in the first 27 games of the season.

Tomas Plekanec – 28 G – 49 A – 77 P

Andrei Kostitsyn – 27 G – 30 A – 57 P

Michael Cammalleri – 24 G – 31 A – 55 P

Brian Gionta – 24 G – 24 A – 48 P

Benoit Pouliot – 18 G – 27 A – 45 P

Roman Hamrlik – 6 G – 38 A – 44 P

Jeff Halpern – 15 G – 27 A – 42 P

Mathieu Darche – 18 G – 18 A – 36 P

Jaroslav Spacek – 3 G – 24 A -27 P

Scott Gomez – 12 G – 15 A – 27 P

Josh Gorges – 3 G – 18 A – 21 P

Maxim Lapierre – 12 G – 6 A – 18 P

Lars Eller – 6 G – 9 A – 15 P

What do you guys think about the stats? Who surprised you the most? Who shocked you the most? Who will have a much better second half/ who will cool off?

I am personally surprised by Pouliot and Halpern – they have been really good (as bottom 6 forwards). Hamrlik has been terrific as well. Not happy with what I am seeing from Cammy and Gio, but I am utterly shocked by Gomez. That is beyond pathetic. I do think that him, Cammy and Eller will have a better second half. And I expect Halpern and Hamrlik to cool down.

129. matmacat says:

Eller had a great first 20-something games. It really all depends on the type of ice time he gets, so 15 points feels almost irrelevant. It could be that he won’t produce much more, but he’s playing on the bottom 6 with no PP time.

130. andrewberkshire says:

If Gomez only gets 15 assists this year, I’ll eat my own left arm.

131. shiram says:

Looking at that, i hope we score more goals for the rest of the season!

Going from your list that only 196 goals! Cammy needs to pick it up, and that goes through Gomez right now, we really need someone to take Moen’s spot on the second line, its a ridiculous!

Harditya – Great post!  I thought of doing that but then got lazy.  After all, there’s only so many hours in a day when you’re retired.

Gomez’s stats will increase for sure.  That’s pretty well a given.  I pray that Cammy will really take off and hit 35 goals.  If Halpern and Darche’s numbers hold, we will be golden.  Hamrlik is hanging tough but we need Subban to supplement Hammer’s stats.

In a perfect world, AK46 will score 30 and Pouliot will bag 20.  Those totals are not that far fetched in my eyes.  Eller at 15/25/40 is also a possibility.

Thanks for taking the time to type all that stuff out.

Is it too late to add the word ‘emotional’ before the word grind.

Here’s another tough one.  Coming to meet 24 Cups for the first time when you’re going out on a date with my daughter, who happens to be my only child.  First thing I do is run a police check on his car plates.  Then I introduce him to my cousin, who’s a charter member of the Hell’s Angels and wears a ‘patch’.

Shout-out to Andrew.  Remember your promise to me at the Summit:-)

On a day where there isn’t any Habs news, it’s time to turn out attention to the world of golf.

Kudos to  Canadian golfers, Chris Baryla and Matt McQuillan, who hung in there to get their PGA cards at Q-school.  This event is probably the toughest grind in the entire world of sports.  It’s six days of nerve-racking hell.

135. Say Ash says:

“This event is probably the toughest grind in the entire world of sports.” Seriously? Tougher than the Iditarod? Or an Ironman? Tour de France?

136. andrewberkshire says:

Steve, nothing in golf is the toughest grind of anything. I know you love the game, but there’s nothing grinding about it. Mentally it can mess with you, but no more than any sport, and physically it’s one of the lowest impact sports in the world.

137. punkster says:

Wait a minute. Wait one damned minute man. What about Breeze? Talk about awesomeness. His play yesterday was awesomelicious! This has become a 3-way race!

But Weber, of course. Did you miss all the awesomeness that kid brought in the last 2 games? I don’t want to start anything, but MAB may have a competition coming up.

139. Gorges_the_great says:

I guess people would have a lot less to talk about if they didn’t play things up but I think this PK ordeal is a tempest in a teapot.

Seems really simple to me. PK causes the Habs to lose a point in the standings. It isn’t the end of the world but I thought it was fair that he was a scratch for the next game. I’m sure Martin’s intention was to get him back into the lineup as soon as possible but when the team wins and PK’s replacement plays solid hockey (not to mention 2A and +3) how can you put him back in? It’s not punishment for Pk, it’s a reward for Weber. Like a lot of other people have said here, have this kind of depth is a good thing.

On top of all that, PK is taking it like a real team player, trying to make the issue that the team is winning, not that he’s out of the lineup. If anything, I think getting scratched is building character for him.

Martin is the guy who’s got a problem most coaches would like to have: too much young talent to fit into the lineup. If only we were so lucky on forward as well…

140. DavidKB says:

The Canadiens need to spread the playing time around. It’s not unlike mixing up the lines, which some may criticize, but you only have to look back to last year to see the same thing going on and look what happened.

Give these guys need NHL experience; Markov is gone. Putting Gomez on the third of fourth line provides a similar opportunity for other guys to get more experience.

141. andrewberkshire says:

Am I not being respectful, Steve?

Of course you are, Andrew, but in my world there are certain things that are sacrosanct.  The list begins with the Habs, Elvis, Star Trek, Catherine Zeta-Jones and GOLF.

143. andrewberkshire says:

Ha! Well I like most of those things, although Zeta-Jones might be a tad overrated.

144. twocents says:

I caught a few posts this morning giving Mr. Todd props for admitting he’s wrong about Price. I ain’t doling out any back-slaps. This admission is not brave as some suggest. In fact, it’s as opportunistic as his anti-Price rants were.

People seem to equate this with someone in a responsible position admitting fault for some wrong that has befallen others. It’s not.

First of all, Todd’s not in a responsible position, other than to his own reputation, which is all he is desperately trying to salvage with this piece. He’s not doing this because he thinks it’s the right thing to do, he’s doing it because he has no other choice. The evidence is making his initial position look ludicrous and threatens to erode the little credibility he has left with the few fans who mistakenly continue to grant him some.

Had he come forward and said his approach to the situation in the first place was irresponsible and represented a shallow, opportunistic analysis that any sportswriter should know is unfair given the age of the subject… then maybe a biscuit is tossed. But, he just said he was wrong. As in, bad call. Big honk, everyone makes them.

What he did wrong was act like his call was irrefutable and proceeded to grandstand over a matter that clearly could only be judged some time in the future.

Anyone can tell you the score of the last game, and no one can tell you the score of the next. A responsible writer will explore possible outcome(s). A brave, or sure-footed, one will offer an opinion. An astute writer will anticipate a trend yet to be widely seen.

A Jack(ass) will tread brazenly where his grasp and insight are well overextended and beat his drum like a circus clown.

145. drivefor25 says:

You’re an astute writer yourself. Thanks for a well-written and perceptive post.

Fan since ’71

146. punkster says:

I would guess that most people here realize that Todd will be off the Price bandwagon at the first hint of soft goals, a losing streak or a Montreal nightclub Allô Police type story.

147. kempie says:

Reposted from the original thread:

So I understand that Jackass Todd has admitted the error of his judgements. Meh. I read his lead paragraph then felt like I was gonna puke in my mouth so I stopped. Nice of him to step up and admit it though, and if I gave a damn about what a jackwagon fool like Todd thinks, I might have read more. But I don’t. Next issue…

148. larisalapointe says:

On another note, the biggest bandwagoners were the guys on RDS. Jacques Demers who I really respected was a Price fan and insisted he should be playing in last years’ playoffs. As soon as Halak “won” the last two games against Washington, he was all over Price saying how dumb everyone was to support Price, with Joel Bouchard shaking his head yes. What hypocrites. What bugs me about the media is, before us ordinary people, should have seen Price’s talent and potential. The truth is most of them didn’t, hence, they claim Price has greatly improved. No he hasn’t, sure he’s tweaked a few things but he’s playing with knowing he’s N1 and playing for his teammates and having fun doing it which comes with age. Ken Dryden was 23 his first season, and very mature to begin with. But having said that, everybody deserves a 2nd even 3rd chance, including Jack Todd and all the rest of them.

149. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

For sure Andrew, I am not saying he WILL get 15 assists. But that’s the way he has been playing.

I am predicting that he’ll get 25-30 assists.

150. andrewberkshire says:

I know Harditya, you’re not crazy.

151. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well, I forgot to include Moen, Subban, Picard and Pyatt. But the total should be around 200.

However, I do believe that the Habs will pick it up and the total should be more than 220.

152. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

No problem, Mr. Kerley.

And about Lars Eller – If the team needs him to produce offensively, then obviously, he must get mroe ice time. And that means Halpern gets less ice time and he won’t be able to produce as much. It’s a sacrifice both ways, but if it helps Lars develop, then I think it’s better if the team doesn’t expect much from Halpern.

153. Kappy says:

Why not try PK up front?  I mean they did it with Weber, MAB, Dandineult, and Streit.  PK, is more offensive minded and has better skating and puck handling skills then all of those guys.  I think it is worth a try, but who sits up front?  I think right now it would be Lapierre.  He is not contributing much to game right now.  JM, if your listening make it happen for game or two.  At very least it would be fun to watch.

If we do that, who’s going to replace Markov for the next ten years?  Especially seeing that he’s all we’ve got in that regard.

Subban is the heir apparent and should be treated as such.

155. Kooch7800 says:

As much as people bash him, he is probably our best D man.  Him an Spacek are our go to guys.

I have never minded Hammer. He is getting PP time but I think he should get more. He has good offensive instincts

156. andrewberkshire says:

Roman Hamrlik is on pace for his best season since 2002-03.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

Hamrlik’s had an excellent career, it’s nice to see him so energized this season.

Considering the busts of Daigle, Berard and Stefan as 1st overall in the 90s and the hype you see today with a Hall or Tavares it’s easy to forget that Hamrlik has had a great NHL career that a lot of players would die to have.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

158. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Of course he is, contract year, gotta play well or no big contract.

159. db says:

What’s the big deal of seeing what Weber can bring to the table… and when is it a better time to try him out than when we’re winning.  Y’all must be delusional if you think the Habs can go the rest of the season without another Dman getting injured.  IMHO, PG is seeing where he stands.. gotta figure out how to spend that IR money.  With OB gone, he needs to make sure he doesn’t have to get another Dman and a forward.  At least, that’s how I see things.  Can’t just think about next game if you’re the coach.

160. Chorske says:

TOTAL molehill.

161. Dave Stubbs says:

Absolutely agree, but I told the Canadiens since I’d written the piece, I’d give them the space to clarify their position. Subban didn’t need a rental-cop with attitude running interference any time anyone walked within 20 feet of him. It didn’t send a good message, but I never suspected Subban had anything to do with it. (And man, was he dressed to kill!)

I’m guessing that guard might be told to rein in his zeal lest he be watching over the Bell Centre’s twin Zamboni machines.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

Much ado about nothing.  This kid needs to fly under the radar for the rest of the season.

163. Julie H says:

Did anybody make the trip to Best Buy to get his autograph?

164. Hammer says:

Maybe PK needs security clearance from JM to play?

165. Chorske says:

Oh hey, I didn’t mean it in the sense that it shouldn’t have been reported here! ON the contrary, this is exactly the kind of fun crazy only-in-Montreal thing that I love about the Habs and the site.

I meant it more in a “whoever is up in arms about this probably shouldn’t be” kinda way. :)

166. KenD29 says:

Now re assigned to guard Youppi

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

167. InGaineyWeTrust says:

They’re just trying to protect him from “Fearsome” Mike Richards. The way he blindsides guys, it might well come when Subban’s leaving the elevator – ask David Booth!

168. Mattyleg says:

Hahaha!!

Excellent.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

169. JIMVINNY says:

I don’t know what to think of all this.  Two things come to mind;  either we have a young man who is not feeling so great about things right now, and didn’t want to talk to ANYONE, or we have a kid who thinks he’s a superstar, and feels he needs a gorilla to keep his multitude of fans off him.

I sure hope it’s door #1.

170. Malreg says:

Read the post properly before you post speculative bullcrap.

“This was an instance of overzealousness on the part of press-gallery personnel”

PK didn’t hire the stupid bodyguard, press-gallery personnel did.

171. samTHEman says:

Let’s wait and see what Mr. Cherry’s got to say about this. Saturday on HNIC he went on, concerning Subban scratched 2 in a row: “Kids! I told ya and I been tellin’ ya! This kid (PK) needs to stop runnin around all over the ice…” in an I-told-you-so fashion. What a tard. Go apply some more make-up Don. I have HD and it’s unbelievable how much make-up he wears. Dubya Tee Eff

172. punkster says:

Or maybe he was being abducted by aliens. Or maybe he already has been!

OMG, conspiracy theory run amok. We’re doomed I tell you. Doomed!

173. joeybarrie says:

PK SUBBAN HAD A BODY GUARD???? Wow, so exactly how does this have anything to do with his hockey? Now of course I know and am very grateful to HabsInsideOut for reporting this stuff as they make sure we are aware of everything. Which is why I come to this site 50+ times a day. HOWEVER, as for the reason to care/judge. Isn’t this a HUGE non issue? Maybe im missing it, but to me arent we caring about something that has nothing to do with anything? Maybe the company Subban hired wanted to have the guard be there Saturday as well as Sunday for practice or preparation? Maybe Subban wanted to get used to it, before his appearance. Maybe a 21 year old rookie doesnt know about these things and maybe his family is over protective.

My question is this… Why would we care in the slightest?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

174. samTHEman says:

The whole drama revolving from PK sitting 2 games is absolutely RIDICULOUS. The team is 3rd in the East. 6th in the entire League, holds the 2nd best GA, the 2nd best goaltender, the best PK, and the powerplay is comming around real great.

Although I LOVE Subban, I’m surprisingly not upset with the situation right now. What more could you want as a fan? The team is having a great start – winning is what matters. Glad to see Weber finally having success with the big club. The way I see it, this shows how deep we are on the blueline.

How much does it show that Hamrlik is in his contract season? No, but seriously, he’s playing great lately. Assuming Markov and Gorges will be around to start next season, the team will be short on D. Do you resign Hamrlik for 1 year to play alongside Spacek for his last year? Because, how bad would Spacek look like without Hamrlik in that duo? In addition to Hamrlik, Gill’s contract expires aswell. Do you resign him? If PG doesn’t, we have PK, Weber, Picard and maybe even Carle who can play. Pretty deep on D Imo.

So…that being said, with the new cap space we have, I would highly recommend PG sign that “big strong forward with talent” that’s been wanted.

But isn’t that exactly what we have in AK, Pouliot, Eller and Pacioretty? 4 big forwards with talent and speed.

1. If you go and get that forward, what message does it send to Desharnais and Pacioretty?

2. And who would you scratch from the 3rd and 4th line to make room for that forward?

175. Gormdog says:

1. Desharnais has “gotten his message” a long time ago. This organization is not particularly interested in his talents despite his AHL success. I think Desharnais could be a servicable NHLer but on this team he just doesn’t fit right. We have similarly small players but with much strength and footspeed. Picking up a strong forward would be the final nail in the coffin but even before that happens i’m pretty sure the ONLY way Desharnais gets an NHL contract with the Habs is through a rash of injuries and he produces quite well as a stopgap. EVen at that, i think that would be more of a showcase/trade scenario because I think both parties involved know Desharnais isn’t in the plans (what else can he do other than play like a top AHL player?)

For patches, a whole different ballgame. It depends if the organization thinks he is servicable this year, or not. Personally i don’t think we see any of pacioretty unless one of our top 6’s get injured. If a bottom liner gets hurt we’d see more of a White-esque callup. I think Canadiens management has learned well from watchign PK develop / be dominant in the AHL for a full season (before being called up when NEEDED, there were no other high level d’s in the system just like patches is our only top 6 ironically excluding Desharnais). Unless he is absolutely needed, he won’t be called up. With that in mind, i take no negative message towards Patches if an impending UFA is signed to fil a top 6 role. Now is not patches time. If we sign a player who is under contract for a few more seasons, I would be a bit more worried as Andrei floater moneybags mcgee than i would Pacioretty – as i’ve said many times we gotta trade this guy while his value is high because I beleive if we sign him to a raise on a 3 year deal it will be two years before we see this years andre again.

2. I’d scratch Tommy Pyatt or Max Laps.  Not impressed at all with Lappy’s play this year and Pyatt is solid but his effective contributions are mostly 2-3 minutes a game (on the PK. If were getting a big talented forward for the bottom two lines hopefully he could replace Pyatt’s minutes)

176. SmartDog says:

I agree. If the team has the luxury of too many capable players, even without Markov, that’s a helluva good position to be in.   Team players understand that, and PK or whomever should and hopefully will roll with it.

Overall I think the stigma around sitting is overblown.  If a guy, other than a depth player sits 15 games I get it. But it’s a team sport, if your team is winning and you sit a few, the attitude should be a couple of games to restore your body and come back strong.

177. smiler2729 says:

Pernell Karl Subban, spy, 0076, licensed to… play hockey.

178. JIMVINNY says:

LOL.  So I’m not allowed to post speculation?  Gotcha.  I’ll keep that in mind going forward.

Hear that, everyone?  NO SPECULATION!!!!!

179. Malreg says:

Speculate all you want as long as there’s some sort of logic behind it.

Questioning a player’s character on an article that clearly states the opposite of what you’re trying to imply is just annoying.

180. JIMVINNY says:

While your point is valid, your method of delivery needs some work.  I’ll admit that I didn’t fully understand the above article until I had re-read it, but that doesn’t give you the right to come at me like you did.

As for questioning a player’s character, I stated that I had two thoughts running through my head, and I hoped it was the first.  Turns out, it was neither.  But that doesn’t take away my right to question anything.  So get off your high horse.

181. likehoy says:

as bad as lapierre has been this season…as long as he dresses, there’s a hidden dimension he can bring be it annoying the opposition, or scoring a random top-cheese goal or losing a fight….he at least brings intangibles to the team.

he may lack hockey sense, but he’s got the tools to stay in the lineup

pyatt’s contribution is effectively just the PK…but who’s to say someone else couldn’t play those 3-4 minutes on the PK?

- Gomez is holding down the suck button

182. Gormdog says:

I would agree it is hands down Pyatt if it weren’t for the fact that JM has our PK playing at a ridiculous pace. I don’t think Max should be an “out of the lineup” player per se, i just think having to jockey for position on this team would bring out more, and by more i mean anything, out of him..

He’s been mostly invisible this year. I don’t quite understand how a player can go from such an effective 3rd line energy guy during a playoff run to a detriment by early next season.

Maybe it’s just the same Max as he always was i just see things differently?

I’ve never seen a player miss more passes back to the point than Lappy. Its as if he’s trying to aim directly between the 2 defensemen every time.

183. avatar_58 says:

Pyatt is like the energizer bunny, I do not want to see him scratched. Scoring isn’t his job

184. SmartDog says:

At -3 on a winning team with only 2 points, whatever he’s energizing doesn’t seem to be doing much.

185. PrimeTime says:

You really don’t understand the concept of TEAM, do you? Either that or you just like to nitpick with nothing better to do.

186. avatar_58 says:

Huh? He’s on a non-scoring line and does mostly PK work – of course he’s a minus. How would he be a plus if there is never a scorer out there with him? I’m not sure you understand that stat.

187. SmartDog says:

Before jumping to wrong conclusions, perhaps you should at least look at the numbers.

Every other forward (not including Boyd who’s sitting) has BOTH a better +/- AND more points.

Unless he’s out there alone or playing only on the PK, his numbers suggest he’s the weakest link, and to my eyes so does his play.  He’s missed open nets, flubbed break-aways.  Not his job, I know, but Komiserik was better offensively.

188. SmartDog says:

How eloquent.

Read my post above for the reasons behind my view.  If facts matter, even for a “team”.

What if he IS an alien?

A buddy of mine way back from school was there… said PK was in pretty good spirits but didn’t have much time to chat since the lineup was pretty big. He didn’t mention anything about any security though. Perhaps they’ve hept low profile.

191. observer says:

Chiefs’ fans react to guy who forgets national anthem yesterday

192. sidhu says:

Habs fans would have started chanting “VEEESAAAA, VEEESAAAA” [toskala] if that happened.

193. andrewberkshire says:

Can’t imagine how bad the team would have been without him for all the time we’ve been without Markov lately.