Audio: Price in nets vs Wild, Habs cancel practice on eve of game

brent-dog

Just because: former Canadiens defenceman Brent Sopel’s dog guards the Stanley Cup, which his master in  2011.
Courtesy Brent Sopel

• AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Blake Geoffrion | Brad Staubitz

The Canadiens took their second of two official team photos today, traditionally shooting (figuratively speaking) the club that’s headed to the playoffs (hypothetically speaking) following the trade deadline.

A scheduled practice for early afternoon was cancelled. The media had the opportunity to speak with a few players who wandered into the dressing room.

Carey Price gets the start in goal vs. the Minnesota Wild on Thursday. For those fans who enjoy heading to Brossard for the traditional weekday game-morning skate, don’t bother. The Habs and Wild will skate at the Bell Centre downtown. There’s a possibility the Toronto Maple Leafs, visitors to the Bell Centre on Saturday, will skate in Montreal on Thursday, flying in after their Wednesday night game in Chicago. Almost certainly they’ll practice in Montreal on Friday, location to be determined.

(Thanks to Jess Rusnak of TSN 990 Radio for the Cunneyworth audio; rechargeable AA batteries aren’t all they’re cracked up to be…)

1. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier took the unusual step today of announcing the Canadiens will play a completely different style the remainder of the season.
    “Even though I got rid of The System’s creator, I can’t help but think The System remains in place,” Gauthier said. “It was just too engrained for an interim coach who can’t speak French to overcome. So I’ve taken the liberty of assigning Mr. Cunneyworth new instructions. We’re going to play with five rovers – better known as beer league hockey.
    “Players will be free to roam anywhere on the ice, but with one objective, to score a goal.
    “Defensive coverage tends to sort itself out in these situations, as anyone who has played men’s recreational hockey will tell you – and besides, we have Price back there, so what’s to worry.”
    Gauthier said pigeon-holing players as centres, wingers and defencemen is “so 20th century. We’re paying these athletes millions of dollars to play positional hockey and not use the full dimensions of an ice surface? It doesn’t make a lot of sense.”
    The GM candidly admitted beer league hockey will serve as a wonderful marketing tool for Molson’s, who own the Canadiens.
    “Why deny an obvious and rewarding connection to what was and will once again be a glorious part of the team’s history?” he said. “We don’t have the forwards to play fire wagon hockey, but beer wagon, that’s a different story.”
    Gauthier held up a photo from the company’s archives that recalled a time when players worked summers delivering beer to supplement their modest incomes (the pic, at the bottom of the page at http://www.molsoncoors.com/en/Media/Media%20Library/Image%20Gallery, shows the line of Joliette, McDuff and Densmore preparing for a day of work).
    “We won’t be asking today’s players to do that,” Gauthier said.
    “Although we might give Gomez a route in the summer if his play doesn’t miraculously improve,” he quipped.
    Gauthier vigorously defended the new strategy against accusations by 17 members of the news media and Randy Cunneyworth standing in the back row that it was sheer lunacy.
    “If our players don’t follow set plays or even know where they’re going, how can the other side prepare a defence?” the Habs’ head honcho asked.
    Gauthier is so confident that BLH will revolutionize the game that he’s certain it will open fertile new territory for the recruitment of players.
    “North America, Europe, Russia – they’re scouted to death,” Gauthier said. “But when was the last time you saw a scout show up at a Parry Sound Industrial Men’s Hockey League game or take in the Kamloops Sunday Night League? The next Sidney Crosby could be out there and we don’t know it because his parents couldn’t afford to register him in organized hockey when he was young so he learned his skills playing pick-up hockey until he got a job at age 18 and made enough money to buy his own equipment and pay for ice time.”
    To mine Canada’s neglected hockey ore – “in search of an Orr,” Gauthier chortled – the Canadiens will hold a national talent-thon this summer, inviting amateur players to showcase their unheralded skills in rinks across the country.
    Gauthier said there was another upside to the team’s radical departure from The System and its successor: an end to the cottage industry of devising line combinations.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

2. pithy says:

I found your place killing time during TSN’s annual bargain bin trading extravaganza. Is it a nice place to visit or do people actually live here?

3. Mustang says:

I heard that Ginette Renaud may be getting ready to sing O Canada before a Hab’s game in the near future.

4. boing007 says:

Boone: Thanks to Jess Rusnak of TSN 990 Radio for the Cunneyworth audio; rechargeable AA batteries aren’t all they’re cracked up to be…

Try ECO batteries, they last longer.

Richard R

5. joedacrabb33 says:

I really hope they clean house at seasons end, that means firing RC, PG and getting better scouting. I also hope they trade plekanec, we can something decent for him, because he has just been awful to watch this year. They should also either buyout/send down Kaberle and Gomez because they pretty much can’t be traded

6. Bim says:

Does anyone know if Markov will be back this season? Its been almost three months since his latest surgery which was supposed to be a cleanup and nothing major according to PG. For a cleanup three months is a long time! I did hear Markov went to Florida with the team this time around but I bet that was to see his doctor. Maybe a press release coming announcing he’s thru for the year? His presence will accomplish nothing now anyway. Send him back to Russia for the summer for some more R+R.

7. Bripro says:

Here’s the Gomez interview with Sather, convincing him why he should be taken on.
    And Sather in turn, found the ideal leader / sucker!

8. helluva habs fan says:

This team must be hurt hurt HURT.

9. slamtherimtim says:

well if that doesnt say the team has given up on the year i dont know what does , they owe more to the fans

10. slychard says:

PG fire’s coaches and players as timely and randomly as bullets are fired during Russian roulette games in Deer hunter.
    Molson put’s out a statement apologizing for the hire of RC, basically hanging em out to dry like Eastwood’s bounty hunter in the good the bad and the ugly when the ugly kept the good from shooting the noose off a man he had turned in.
    Markov’s knee issues are kept more secret then the plot twist in The crying game.
    And in all of this RC must feel like “paddle faster I hear banjo’s” when facing the media
    This season degenerated into a circus the minute it opened, it’s no wounder we’re all coo-coo here.

11. Mattyleg says:

Coach and Player
    (with apologies to Cat Stevens, or whatever he’s called now…)

RC:
    To the team:
    It’s not time to make a change,
    Just relax, take it easy.

To Eller:
    You’re still young, that’s your fault,
    There’s so much you have to know.

To Leblanc:
    Find a girl, settle down,
    If you want you can marry.
    Look at me, I am old, but I’m happy.

To Moen:
    I was once like you are now, and I know that it’s not easy,
    To be calm when you’ve found something going on.

To Price:
    But take your time, think a lot,
    Why, think of everything you’ve got.
    For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

AK:
    How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
    It’s always been the same, same old story.
    From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
    Now there’s a way and I know that I have to go away.
    I know I have to go.

Gomez:
    All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
    It’s hard, but it’s harder to ignore it.
    If they were right, I’d agree, but it’s them you know not me.
    Now there’s a way and I know that I have to go away.
    I know I have to go.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. HabsFan1111 says:

Q o the day for yalls:

Should we go after Rick Nash this offseason?

If so, who would you give up?

If not, why not?

• helluva habs fan says:

No we shouldn’t go after him. The Price will be too high and we’re thin on young attractive prospects. What’s the good of having Nash if he has no team surrounding him? Look how far that got Columbus over the last 10 years. We have to focus on getting our young talent whipped into shape for prime time. Let someone else mortgage their future.

• JayK-47 says:

No way. The CBJs picking up of Jack Johnson killed any chance of the Habs dealing from strength and leaving the team core intact. Unless Columbus reaches out for Lawson, Gallagher, a 2nd, and another prospect, no deal. Gionta and Cole put up decent 25-30 goal numbers, thx.

• smiler2729 says:

I’d love Rick Nash (renamed Richard Nache in Quebec)… but what the hell do we have that Columbus would want cuz they sure as hell aren’t getting Price, Subban and/or Pacioretty.

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• ont fan says:

Please..no high priced or long term anything at this point.

• Cal says:

No. Overpriced and does not make the players around him better.

13. smiler2729 says:

Any word on Jean Beliveau?

__________________________________
    Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I’m hoping no news is good news.

• secretdragonfly says:

Posted earlier:

ctvmontreal.ca

MONTREAL — Jean Beliveau is in stable condition and resting comfortably after suffering a stroke Monday evening.

Former player Dickie Moore said that Beliveau is still receiving treatment as of Wednesday, but that he is conscious and receiving visitors.

“The news this morning is very positive that he can now view people and know who he is talking with and it’s very nice,” said Moore.

“I told him yesterday this is going to turn around, you’ll be back in the fort, and it’s showing all the signs of a recovery.”

14. Mattyleg says:

aaaaaaaaaand because I haven’t done one in a couple of hours:
    Singin’ RC:

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. Da Hema says:

Can we trade Geoff Molson?

And what would he be worth?

16. Cardiac says:

LOL… mine says it all:

- Jerry Maguire

17. Mattyleg says:

Naweed was asking why we wouldn’t want Pierre McGuire, and some people said we should hire him.

This was posted a while back, but it’s an excellent read. It’s an article from a Hartford paper in 1994.

Have a read and tell me what you think.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• smiler2729 says:

Man, that was 20 years ago…

__________________________________
      Jack Edwards is a clam, Bruins are pukes.

• Bripro says:

…well, 18…actually.
        But who’s counting?
        Besides, who doesn’t learn from experience?

Okay we are back at this again, so what has he learned since then by doing TV? Memorize kids in Junior Hockey’s hometown, or the colours of the High School team?

Okay, he did do some scouting for Pittsburgh, but scouting and GM/Coaching are two different things.

Hey I used to work in Furniture industry 20 years ago, decided to make a switch, if I go back to Furniture now I don’t become president of the company.

• Bripro says:

Have you tried? ;)

Touche, have a good one Bri!

• Habsrule1 says:

What is your fear of McGuire just getting an interview? If he is on the same page as Geoff Molson when it comes to getting this team back on track, then do it. If it turns out he is not qualified or not as good as the next candidate, so be it.
            Whether you like him or not, the man knows a lot about hockey and more than anyone in the country about prospects. Is that enough? No, but maybe there’s more to his knowledge than that. There are only a handful of people who get interviewed for GM jobs. He was interviewed twice in a few months. He wasn’t chosen, but just to be considered is very, very impressive.

Go Habs Go!!

• Cal says:

Pierre McGuire?

18. homerbowen says:

While I’m now on-board with Patrick Roy as coach next year I would not like to see any of the “old club” habs as GM. Clearly we need an experienced NHL GM who will not get hosed when making a trade. So basically I’m giving in to the “french” speaking coach who may not be the “best available” coach but still understands coaching. Plus I like his fire and how about Robinson and Tremblay as assistants and for those Tremblay haters out there……get over it!! Not many played with more passion and intensity than Mario and hopefully it would rub off. As for GM, I would like to see Molson get the best possible/available and if he speaks french then hey “bonus”.

• Habsrule1 says:

Problem is Patrick Roy is one of “those Tremblay haters out there”.

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

I take the opposite approach.

My Plan

1. General Manager Give me a Francophone version of Brian Burke as GM, shooting his mouth off day in and day out to keep the media happy. Get a guy who is one of the NHL GMs who everyone wants to talk to – even other GMs. That creates the engagement and flow of information that leads to relationships and better trade opportunties.

1a. Assistant GM If he is as competent as Burke (who I think is an ass but a better than average GM) great. If not get some kind of competent assistant or have all trades go through Timmins and a capologist. Trades are not exactly happening every day, so the important thing is to get in the loop and then bring in the adults for the details.

2 Scouting Throw money at scouts in Quebec and Europe. Become the acknowledged masters of all that is going on in the Q. Through sheer brute force and local presence, identify and target the next Desharnais, Quebecois players who might get overlooked otherwise. Find those 7th round Swedes who turn into all stars

3. Coach. Then get a really good coach. Bump into Babcock the next time you see Detroit (watching them in the Playoffs?) and steal some DNA. Clone him. Or just hover waiting for the next Boudreau type situation: a coach who gets fired when he is not the problem (no J Martin jokes here). Before he i even introduced to the press, get him to memorize a half a dozen “nous arrivons a jouer” or whatever franglais cliches you need to spout as a coach. Get press photos of him coming out of Berlitz carrying Rosetta Stone CDs and a pocket Larousse.

4. Win Cup.

5. Repeat.

Simple!

Proceed.

“Et le but!”

• Habsrule1 says:

Not sure where you get the idea Burke is a good GM, but the rest of your post ain’t bad.

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

It may be damning him with faint praise. I don’t know enough about all the GMs to definivtively rank them but I expect Burke might be somewhere in the 10-15 range. Like his team. rimshot!

I don’t think he is Ken Holland or Jim Devallano or one of those guys who you say “Can we get him?”. There are the current “top of the world ma!” hotshots like Chiarelli and Gillis who you have to credit. Grudgingly perhaps.

At the other end there are the guys who you just wonder how they have a GM job at all. Scott Howson obviously the Poster boy for the 2012 Campaign, displacing long time favourite Garth Snow.

There are a ton of characters who to me don’t seem totally incompetent like that but range from hapless Dean Lombardi on the bright side to his best trading pal Steve Tambellini on the low side. Our Pierre Gauthier belongs somewhere in this mess.

There are a lot of guys who are professional and competent but have been dealt a bad hand or teams underperformed or whatever and their current evaluation may drop them lower than perhaps they should. McPhee, Wilson, Regier etc.

Burke is not someone who I look at and say “How does he have a job?” Would i want him? No. Would I take over Gauthier? You bet!

“Et le but!”

• howardshabs says:

Well said.

Roy is the perfect GM to fit that model. Colourful interviews and will build relationships with other management.

I would hang onto Cunneyworth until we find that perfect coach. Don’t do something brash for the sake of more change.

Please no Pierre McGuire.

• Cal says:

Burke is so good he didn’t get a goalie at the deadline.

• helluva habs fan says:

We need an experienced GM adept at making trades. Someone who already knows the business. Someone with a damn vision of what kind of team we want to build. And who the hell cares if he speaks french? Our current french GM never speaks to the media anyway!

19. montreal ace says:

When this season ends, Markov will have played a total of 7 games in the last two years. I think there are big problems with his new contract, that we are not hearing about. He got hurt under his old contract, and without playing a game after his injury was given a new one with a raise, based on medical evaluations. I think there are legal problems concerning his contract, medical treatment, doctors, and insurance. I think there is a possibility he is being offered a settlement, and that might be the reason we signed Kaberle

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s a quite interesting topic.

I would say that Markov deserves to be paid, as it’s a hockey injury, no issue there.

That said, did Habs have “Key Man” insurance? What kind of insurance did they have and what did it cover.

On a film you have what’s called a “completion guaranty” wherein if there’s a hurricane on location or your star dies (it happens) the insurer will pick up the cost of reshooting or whatever. It’s expensive but you’ve go to have it to protect the investors.

The other aspect to your point is that we poor slobs (hereinafter “the fans”) don’t know everything.

Whenever I rip Bob the Builder for blowing up the team the last time and signing NoMez I usually post a disclaimer that maybe there were things we don’t know, like the “real” reason we lost Chelios, for example, that would justify what Bob did. There may well be more to it than just horrific judgment and panic.

All we can hope is that we live long enough to buy the book Bob hasn’t written yet and find out.

Amen.

• HabFanSince72 says:

I would guess that it is impossible to insure an already injured hockey player (what insurer would want to take that bet?). I wonder if it is even feasible to insure any player against injury in a sport where they are so common.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

20. neumann103 says:

On Screwing over Lars Eller

On the previous thread Chris had an excellent post on why Yakupov and Grigrenko are not likely to flee to the KHL in a hissy fit.

Included was a summary of the current CBA rules on bonus options in standard entry level 3 year contracts.

I was aware of the broad design of the entry level contract bonus but not familiar with the detail. But something caught my eye.

My recollection was that Lars Eller’s contract (inherited from the Blues) had more theoretical bonus content than the Habs normally give. I have never seen details of this it just always stand out when you see an entry level contract with a big delta between salary and cap hit (including theoretical bonus).

sooooooo…..

Conspiracy Theorists out there….

What are the details of Eller’s bonuses?

Could the Habs coaching staff be intentionally constraining Eller’s playing time (no PP, benching him) to avoid getting him top 6 minutes?

Is this a clever (stupid) plot to avoid paying the kid some portion of the $400K in potential bonus owed?

What would this say about the organization (spits) and its willingness to eat the Gomez contract?

Tin foil hats on!

“Et le but!”

21. Da Hema says:

Hmmm. Is it just me, or is playing for the Montreal Canadiens the easiest job in the world? Does this team even practice? It’s not like there aren’t one or two kinks needing to be worked out. Moreover, what kind of message does this send to the young players on the team? If you suck, we will expect LESS of you? We WON’T hold you to account? This entire organization is in chaos.

• jedimyrmidon says:

I agree that they need to practice more. Other than Gorges and Subban, and the top line of Pacs-Desharnais-Cole, there is no chemistry and nothing set.

However, the accountability thing can backfire if it doesn’t serve its purpose to, well, make players more accountable. When they’re losing so often, and hardly anyone is performing well, it’s kinda hard to hold players accountable – can’t bench 3 lines, right? They can’t single out players to focus on since this whole team is rather dysfunctional.

• Da Hema says:

I wasn’t thinking specifically of benching players as a way to impress accountability on the players. After all, Montreal can hardly do that as you point out — they’d have to bench half the team. Benching really only works on players who give a shit — and there are very few such players on Montreal. They probably would like to be benched — then they don’t have to play at all! My point simply was that practices are, in part, intended to work on team weaknesses. It just seems to me, given what Boone has reported over the years on non-playing days, that the Canadiens must hold the least number of practices in the NHL. That ain’t a good thing.

• Habsrule1 says:

You talkin’ ’bout practice?!? Practice?!?

Go Habs Go!!

• neumann103 says:

I think Boone was saying a couple of days ago that one of the older long time guys on the Habs beat (was it Gagnon?) was saying he had never seen a team practice less.

I was surprised at how little they practiced in training camp considering that is the first real block of time you have to reinforce things, but had not really thought much about it since then.

“Et le but!”

• Mattyleg says:

They weren’t able to practice much because they were forced to play a ridiculous number of pre-season games.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Da Hema says:

But this pattern of light practices goes back a long time Matty, well before Cunneyworth. There is something very wrong with this organization. It is, unquestionably, a rudderless — and it has been for over 20 years. I thought Gainey could fix that, but he didn’t.

• habsfan0 says:

They say practice makes perfect.

So, Cunneyworth isn’t taking any chances.

• LA Loyalist says:

I say screw practice. Bag skate is more in order.

22. LA Loyalist says:

Now that we all have a lot of spare time, you guys need to see / download GOON, the movie. It is hilarious, and the portrayal of the Quebecois fallen star, LaFlamme, is Oscar worthy.

It will cheer you up, and Lord knows we need that. :-)

(I have no involvement with the movie beyond liking it)

23. Bripro says:

Tommy points out below how G. Molson castrated RC from the start with his “temporary” status statement.
    I agree. And it’s a damn shame, because he’s pulled the figurative rug right out from under him, when it comes to his NHL future.
    If you’re going to reassure the fanatical media of Montreal, the least you can do is try and show some class in the process.
    He may never find another job in the league, whether it’s deserved or not.

• JayK-47 says:

RC was playing a merit based system until recently. I’d bet my entire checking account ($2.51) that PG has RC playing who the GM wants. The only knock I had against RC was his home-ice match-ups but now, who cares? 18 to go.

24. Dunboyne Mike says:

Perhaps we would have ended higher up a little higher in the standings without the firing of JM. That said, I was delighted he went because his System was based on not losing rather than on winning. And it was therefore a patent failure, as well as boring and depressing.

The real reason I’m commenting is because the hospitalising of Jean Beliveau uncovered a lot of younger posters who missed his era. A truly great book that covers that great and glorious stretch for the Canadiens and should lift anyone out of the doldrums of this crappy season is Dick Irvin’s “The Habs”.

Here, I’ll even link you to second-hand copies on Amazon. A great read for any Habs fan, I promise.

Cheers

So Edmonton appears to have found a new gear in their Tank, they have sent Paajarvi down to minors, so that he can play some important games in their stretch drive to playoffs. They do know how to run a tank there.

26. slychard says:

I can’t wait for the off-season, it’s gonna be way more interesting then the miserable season.
    Hire Roy as coach, Robinson as assistant coach, Damphouse as GM and let the party begin.

27. Bripro says:

Desperate times….
    The commentariat on this site is quickly sliding into a reflective mode of our team.
    A series of speculative projections followed by unconnected stories and somewhat amusing creations (Dumbass RC), with no focus.
    If this site was an NHL rink, we’d all be Gomez.

28. Soolz says:

Why isn’t Gauthier fired yet?!?!?! Two things I’m sick of:

1) Checking TSN and not seeing Gauthier being punted from the Bell Center

2) Hearing Pierre McGuire’s name as a hopeful GM. Are you kidding me?! Zero experience as a GM, brutal track record as a coach and assistant, and a complete block head of a commentator. Nobody cares who your “Monsters of the game are” jackass… thank God you left TSN so I don’t have to hear or see you.

Fire Gauthier and find a GM with some hockey savy before the draft and we pick up one of the top three prospects. Hire Carbo back as coach… he was the last decent one we had – Fired with a 35-24-7 record..Good work Gainey – Putz.

• shiram says:

If it’s going to happen it’s going to be an off season move.

• sanman_11 says:

He’s all but fired. I’m pretty sure the only thing he has done is told Timmons to do what he always does and find some gems. We have 4 picks in the top 60, if done correctly there is a combination to do a quick turn around. First off, Gomez to Hamilton, sign Parise. Then add the #2 or #3 overall pick. That’s 2 more franchise players then we have now.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

No to Parise, wingers do not win cups.. Top two centers, top two D and a goalie have to be your “Five Man Core.” Wingers should not be your highest paid forwards.

• LA Loyalist says:

You know what? I would take Carbo back. It’s just a gut feeling but I think he would be older and wiser and adjust better to the team, while still having the link to our glory days.

It’s not sentiment, I think he would be good. What do you all think?

• Bripro says:

THANK YOU!!!
        I’ve been saying it since JM was still around!
        I’ve been beaten, stabbed, shot at, hozed, drenched, egged, pied, kicked, screamed at, eyes poked, tongue pulled, ears twisted, sued, locked up…
        And after my wife was finished with me, I would come on here and post it, to little fanfare!

29. slychard says:

30. TommyB says:

I don’t agree with those who say we should have kept JM as coach. RC hasn’t done very well, no doubt about that, but I don’t think Martin would have done much better. We’d still be on the outside looking in as far as the playoff picture goes. This management has to break out of the old boy’s club. Forget about old school. The game is changing constantly so bring in some fresh people, with no ties to the last 100 years glory, and no connection to past failures with other teams.

Bringing in Jacques Martin as coach was a dumb move from the get go. His coaching resume was not very impressive, and his GM tenure was even less impressive. Why did this organization bring him in? Replacing a head coach with one or more of his assistant coaches doesn’t change anything. You need a fresh new personality, preferably someone younger who might have a better understanding of the mindset of today’s young players. Someone who knows how to motivate them, and how to utilize their individual talents. JM was none of that. He was old school tyranny, my way or the highway. I don’t think that works anymore. Let’s get it right this time around.

• VancouverHab says:

That’s as may be, but Cunnyworth makes Jm look like Dick Irvin.

• Bripro says:

Dick Irvin used to lose his temper.
        And his lips moved when he articulated.

• TommyB says:

Cunneyworth was doomed immediately following his appointment. Molson and Gauthier’s apologies to the french fans and media castrated him on the spot. Did you really expect the players to buy in and rally around the hockey team equivalent to a supply teacher? I have no doubt that Cunneyworth himself gave up shortly after that.

31. The Dude says:

Question:1) If Carey Price’s agent wants a long term contract like 50 million for 7 years do we pay the ransom?
    2) If Subban’s agent wants a long term contract,say 25 million for 5 years do we pay up?

Hopefully our new GM will know how to answer those questions.

• Soolz says:

Subban hasn’t played himself into a 5 Mill per year contract – not even close.

• Curtis O Habs says:

The answer is yes to both questions. Price`s stats would be much better with a quality defense in front of him, not to mention not signing him is more scary. If they do not want to pay Subban as a top two D man, they should not play him as a top two D man, ( 24 mins/game).

• sanman_11 says:

Price is going to want a long term contract and he may deserve it. Whether 7M is ‘ransome’ is questionable. I think he’s going to get somewhere between 5.5 and 7.5. Lots of other teams would pay that. As for Subban, his bargaining power went down with the sophomore slump. Look for 3-4 Million at most. If he thinks he’s in the 5 million league he’s kidding himself. So if he tries to ransom us for that then we need to make a very hard decision because paying for potential doesn’t happen much these days.

I’m a HABS fan not a Leaf blower.

• Soolz says:

Nathan Beaulieu is the next Subban. Subban isn’t worth more then 3.5 per year at this point. Granted he may one day be one of the tops in the league and worth an easy 5 but not now..as a restricted free agent… let him go if someone wants to sign him..I’d take the number ones and promote Beaulieu by then.

32. Chuck says:

Poor, depressed little doggie:

33. HFX-HabFan says:

So Davy Jones is finally in his locker…? Too soon?

34. slychard says:

Kiss my hAbSS!!!

35. The #1 thing to fix — more important than anything else — is the PP. If we were, say, 10th in the league in PP% instead of in the basement — not elite, just a tad better than middle of the pack — we’d have 6% more PP effectiveness, which with our 236 PP opportunities would have translated into 14 more goals. That in turn would have bumped us up to a solid 10th place in goals for. With all the one-goal games we’ve lost this year, that probably means at least 14 more points in the standings, possibly more. And that alone puts us in the playoffs.

Of course, if your PP improves, other teams are a little less likely to give them to you, and other changes are needed too. But improving the PP is the single most important task ahead of this team, and with all due respect to Cunneyworth, who’s been in a tough situation all year, this is mostly a coaching problem.

The best thing RC can do right now is rework the PP and at least get a more effective strategy that the players can get used to in the next 18 games, and hopefully play in the fall — whether he’s around to see it or not.

A good place to start IMO: the default attacking strategy on the PP should be to carry the puck over the line and set up, with the dump as an option if there are no open lanes. Right now, we’ve got it the other way around, resulting lots of easy dump-outs and our defencemen spending almost as much PP time behind their own net as on the opposing blueline.

36. naweed235 says:

Honest question: What is with all the hate towards McGuire from all Habs fans? I honestly would like to know… Has he ever said something bad about the organization or has there been an event in the past that brought this about which I dont know about?
    speaking from my own experience, seeing him on tv and listening to him on the radio, I think the man is pretty knowledgable and always seems to have the right ideas … I really would not mind seeing him given a shot at the GM position next year…
    P.S I will admit that I was wrong about firing JM… I guess when you are fan and you see your team being a .500 team, you just can’t help but to think that the team is too offensively talented and quick to be playing a defense first type of game…
    Turns out ” The System” was the only thing keeping this team from showing its’ true colours… Sad really…

• ed lopaz says:

you were not wrong about firing Martin.

Gainey was wrong for hiring Martin in the 1st place.

ask Subban, Patches, Eller, and many others what they think of Martin.

about Mcguire:

Boone is a big fan.

that’s all that counts around here.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that his resume includes virtually nothing that says he will ever be a good NHL Head Coach or GM.

• Bripro says:

Yet there’s nothing that says he’ll be bad either.

Oh man, after all we have been through, why would we put the team in the hands of someone with limited experience and in those experiences as a Head Coach and a GM he failed miserably.

If he was hired for scouting, to help Timmins, I have no issue. BUt if indeed he is hired as GM or Coach, well I don’t know what.

• Bripro says:

I agree to a point with you Gerry. He’d be better suited as a scout, but the man has connections, and he certainly knows his hockey.
            For some reason, he seems to irritate a lot of people.
            But he can’t be that bad, after all, he bailed on TSN.

• otter649 says:

McGuire has not been involved with a NHL team since 1996 and he no current front office experience & has lost jobs due to this fact. He has worked for/with Scotty Bowman-Brian Burke-Paul Holmgrem but for some reason these people never offered him another position. I wonder why…..

37. joshua94k says:

Jean Beliveau recovering well !

ctvmontreal.ca

38. habinkam says:

since everyone else is doing it…..

39. Shoowtime says:

I believe that PG made a was too conservative he should have stacked the closet with picks we could have atleast traded Moen Darche ,Campoli .these players can be replaced.
    This Draft will bring a new beginning to the Habs for the first time in a long time they will get a top pick a guy who can probably jump right in.
    The Future is bright Go Habs GO
    only if PG doesnt let the door hit him on the way out.

40. Chuck says:

Ok, I don’t think he’s a dumbass, but I thought I’d try my hand at it anyway:

41. WindsorHab-10 says:

I thought we were pathetic this season & things couldn’t possibly be worse until I remembered a team called the Maple Laffs & their centre of the universe pathetic nation.

I guess there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

• slychard says:

Remember the good season start they had when they were all reserving places on the parade route after 10 games? Their hockey universe is a black hole.

• Lizardking89 says:

When times are darkest in Montreal all you have to do is look west and laugh at the state the Laffs are in. They’re losers and always will be.

42. Mattyleg says:

18 Games to go?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

43. kempie says:

RIP Davey Jones. So young.

44. Nova Scotia Voyageurs says:

Wait now…when did Sopel win the cup?

45. RGM says:

Dumbass Cunneyworth – http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/36dmug/

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Say Ash says:

“played terribly”

• RGM says:

I’m not sure how well-versed you are in meme culture, but grammar’s not exactly the top of the priority list. This is the same universe that has made “I can has cheezburger” a global phenomenon.

———————–
        GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
        “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

46. aemarchand11 says:

Did anybody here realize that Tony Marinaro told all of us, that the kaberle trade was awful? Tony seems to feel the need to repeatedly remind everyone that he pointed out the obvious.

What a blow hard.

47. habs17 says:

JohnLuTSNMtl: #Habs Markov is in good spirits: Q “Did you see Dr. Andrews when you were in Florida?” A: “Yeah, I saw him on the beach and said hello.” hahah real funny markov, must be nice to be paid 6 million $s and do nothing, just retire you clown

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

48. Rad says:

Pretty good article by Eric Engels entitled “The Habs Haven’t Just Lost Games, They’ve Lost Themselves” …

49. icky pop says:

Cancel practice for the rest of the season, and fail for mikhail. Can’t trade for a center, so let’s draft him.

50. jedimyrmidon says:

I guess a “good” thing about doing so poorly this season is that when it comes to resigning key players like Price and Subban there will be little inflation and they should resign at reasonable offers for hopefully reasonable terms.

The team can then hopefully move on next season with an elite prospect acquired. This team is a mess right now: composed of recently AHL-graduated players (who are doing well and are mostly responsible for whatever has gone right; lots of potential there), AHL call-ups who should probably be developing in Hamilton, and plenty of newcomers, most of which are not useful. It would be nice to let players like Palushaj, Leblanc and Diaz develop like Max Pac did. Especially Eller who has become better defensively, but I believe he needs to find his offense as a center.

51. The Dude says:

Bet you all Carbo is laughing his arse off right now.

• fun police says:

why? like RC, he was a terrible coach. should never have been given a HC job as a rookie in montreal. When JM was hired, he was called a “professional” coach and for a couple of years, he righted the gongshow that carbo had left behind. i suggest we need another established professional coach with a history of working with young players. RC was given a couple of months to coach his way to a permanent job so he favoured vets. The next coach should be given a little security which will allow him to develop rookies.

• habs17 says:

and the coach we should of never fired and i was completly againts letting him go. Jacques Martin
      President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

• canuckbot says:

I’ll bet you Carbo would still like to be coaching this team instead of being another talking head.

52. Price07 says:

I hope they keep losing, at this point winning would be counter-productive. We’re not making the playoffs, if by some miracle of God we did we wouldn’t last long so better we finish as far back as possible and get one of the highly talented offensive prospects in the coming draft. I’m hoping we finish 29th and get Grigorenko! I don’t think we can catch Columbus they’re just way too far gone but its ok, while Yakupov is better than Grigorenko, Grigs is much bigger so he satisfies two needs for us (scoring and size).

53. MiltonHab says:

I’m ok with the losing, lack of moves and even Staubitz as long as there seems to be a plan for moving forward…but there doesn’t seem to be any plan. I hope the fans stay away in droves they deserve better!

54. Captain aHab says:

Contest Alert!!

Look into your crystal ball(s) and predict what will unfold. He or she who guesses correctly wins a date with Brent Sopel’s dog.

Here are my guesses:

Once the season is over, they will:

1) Name Pierre McGuire as GM
    2) Name Marc Crawford as Coach
    3) Draft Grigorenko

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

• thorandresson says:

McGuire and Crawford? talk about taking 5 steps back

• Price07 says:

I dunno about Crawford but I think that McGuire may not be as bad as some think, I mean he knows his stuff more than most other GMs seem to so I wouldn`t be so worried with him calling the shots. Not saying he’s the best choice but i’d consider him.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Hope you’re correct about McGuire and Grigorenko.

• slychard says:

I heard McGuire was key in negotiations for North Korean nuke program for food deal, on which side I don’t know… so, take your pick who the winner is in that deal.

• jmsheehy19 says:

McGuire has an encyclopedic knowledge of player’s junior careers and and anecdotes about their youth. That’s the best I can say about him.

He makes these bold predictions that when they fall flat on their face, he never recants or brings them up.

I remember him swearing up and down what a horrible mistake it was to pick Price, or that Komisarek was carrying Markov and that Komi, Beauchemin, and Schenn were a modern day big 3

Just the other day he was attacking the Jets for picking Scheifele instead of a Dman because they have no depth on D. Go look at their roster and decide which looks better, their D or their Centers.

55. rogus says:

how does the draft lottery work?

• Price07 says:

Every team has a chance of winning the lottery, but the chances of you winning are much higher the lower you finish. For example theres about a 50% chance that the last place team is chosen and about a 1% chance the first place team is chosen. Think of it as everyone puts their name in a hat but the last place team gets to write their name 50 times and the first place team only has one piece of paper with their name on it. Then, when you win you can only move up 4 spots…meaning if a team that finished high in the standing won, they could only move up 4 spaces and still wouldn`t make it to number 1 overall.

Hope that helps.

56. habs17 says:

it will be sad to see if the crowd starts too boo before the game even starts, im sure the team feels bad enough as it is. No need to boo more. Not much u can do when u suck u suck

President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club

(I support Scott Gomez)

I just hope that the fans let them have it tonight. Poor souls who paid money to see this team.

58. Cal says:

Practice? We don’t need no stinking practice!

59. patience is a virtue says:

Theory for discussion:

PG and Molson decided sometime in Nov or Dec (maybe after the Dec 6 loss to the CBJs extended another losing streak to three), after they’d learned that Markov wouldn’t be back to help much this season (last surgery on Dec 5) that the campaign was definitely not going where they’d hoped. Next move was the trade for Kabs, which was not a trade for the Wiz, but, rather, a hail mary pass that secured a veteran puck-moving dman for the bottom pairing and second PP QB (a placeholder for Beaulieu). The loss to the Flyers became the pretext for getting rid of the overly defensive JM and handing Cunney the ball = hail mary number two.

My guess is that PG and Molson realized that JM had the coaching ability to likely keep the team on the bubble, and perhaps make the playoffs again, maybe. They, rightly, want more than the bubble and the opportunity was ripe. The plan was made to engineer a higher draft position and trade Cammy, AK and Gill to facilitate that plan. Trading Cammy was as important as ditching JM – he was the only elite offensive talent on the team, and he was almost healthy. Trading him freed up cap space, exchanging a large, affordable second line winger for one less smurf.

The last point is perhaps most important for the long-term plan. PG has been consistently signing, trading, and drafting for size (as well as speed). Yet DD was in the process of proving himself the real deal against the odds, and Gallagher is in the wings. Both are much more affordable than Cammy, but also shorter :) Not that either of them will replace him, but you can only have so many smurfs in the top 9. The real replacement for Cammy will be drafted in June, or acquired thereafter.

All this to say, that I think what we have been witnessing is the unfolding of Plan B for the season, and while it is not an outright Fail for Nail, it’s about as close as you could get.

I hope PG sticks around. He is shrewd and courageous (e.g. Halak deal, signing Markov, these past couple months), and I trust his judgement.

• DearyLeary says:

Cammy was the only elite offensive talent on the team? Did you see his goal totals?

• patience is a virtue says:

Patches is on the way. He is too young to know for sure. Cole is very good, but not elite. Yes, Cammy, the guy who scored 39 goals one year, and led the NHL playoffs in goals scored as long as he was playing both years for the Habs, is an elite goal scoring talent.

Streaky, like most of them. Got injured this year, and then led a revolt against Cunney – perhaps because he got wind of the plan and wanted to excelerate the move to Calgary? Who knows…

• thorandresson says:

I like this theory and I was kinda thinking along those lines too. I honestly think they’d be a bubble team with JM at the helm, but I kinda rather have them tank the season and get that top pick.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gauthier has done well in the draft. I was fine with the Cammalleri trade.

My only two big issues with him was not realizing he wanted a bigger and tougher team before the season started, leaving us with a garbage bottom two lines and a paper thin defense.

The second was the ridiculous trade for Kaberle.

60. slychard says:

This is what you do when a Bruin take’s a run at you. Max Pac take note…

61. habsfan0 says:

Sad,sad day. Monkee Davy Jones has passed away. Stubbs and Boone must be heartbroken.

62. Chuck says:

That REALLY looks like our dog, right down to the pink on the nose, the whitening muzzle, and the expression. About the same size, too.

So since I don’t have a photo of my dog with the Stanley Cup, I’m stealing this one and claiming it as our own. :)

Another cancelled practice. How many does that make this season?

So much to work on next year.

64. ed lopaz says:

I know there is a high school game going on in Brossard this afternoon, in support of the “Hockey for the Homeless“ charity.

Thousands of dollars were raised by both teams to support the homeless in Montreal.

Lower Canada College vs Selwyn House.

65. slychard says:

I don’t get the “which is master” part of Stubb’s caption. Maybe he should take Mattyleg’s spelling survey from previous thread.

Edit, that’s his master…even worst.

66. Say Ash says:

Practice writing resumes.

67. arcosenate says:

What would they practice, just set course for the Yakupov System and make it so.

68. Captain aHab says:

Oh goody! What fascinating tidbits will Randy reveal today?

I’m numb. I was watching yesterday and simply did not care anymore. Is that how Leafs fans feel?

—————-
    McGuire for GM!
    Roy for Coach!
    Sh*t for Brains!

69. RGM says:

Oh good, these guys don’t really need it anyways.

———————–
    GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
    “Scott Gomez is an elite NHL player” – VancouverHab

Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Captain aHab says:

Don’t you know there’s no need to practice at this time of year. Actually no point to it in our case. Might as well continue sucking hard.

—————-
      McGuire for GM!
      Roy for Coach!
      Sh*t for Brains!

70. slychard says:

This post is deja vu all over again.

71. TheDagger says:

We’d really fleece them if we did… trading a player (Moen) who is not even signed to a contract.

72. slychard says:

If you didn’t get an answer when you first posted this 3,4 threads ago you probably won’t get an answer in this one…just saying.

73. kholdstare says:

If they call the month we are in February, and hockey is being played then the only team I care about whether its practice or a game, are the habs.

So even if we have a snowball’s chance I still wish they would try and entertain us. Give us the semblance of professionalism. Cancelling practice for a team that desperately needs it, to do a photo shoot, sounds to me pretty much what a highschool girl would cut class to do.

74. slychard says:

Now, now, the one with the anti-quated handle…no need for name calling. Let’s not lose our sense of decorum. And no, I do not have an opinion about ‘rolling dice’ which is what the draft is. Yakupov, Grigorenko, and all…

75. ont fan says:

OK I’ll bite..why would they do that. Why would they take a chance when they are happy with Huberdeau. Now you have to wait until someone comes calling to make a trade like that. Like Vancouver wanting Kassian from Buffalo.

76. slychard says:

If this keeps up he might be available to us on our 2nd round pick, the one we got for AK. Ba Da Bing!

Kiss my hAbSS!!!

I posted awhile ago, I kind of wonder if Galchenyuk is getting the Dan Marino treatment. He had an ACL injury in his Junior season at Pitt, came back I think part way through senior season and no one touhed him till late in first round.

Obviously we all have paranoia surrounding a knee injury right now, but he is very young, and if he had not been injured would probably be rated ahead of Yakupov. A risk, but shouldn’t our doctors by now know what to look for as it relates to knee? The upside is huge!

78. Les Canayens says:

We haven’t exactly been losers for almost 20 years, but the Leafs have certainly forgotten what it’s like to be in the playoffs for almost 10 years. (ok 6 but I rounded up)

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

79. Les Canayens says:

I should tag my post #ironic when replying to the President of the Scott Gomez Fan Club.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

80. Les Canayens says:

In the context of comparing to the Leafs in your original post, we are winner.

▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭ ◌ ▭
    Scouting is subjective.

A fair deal? Not a penny over 5 million dollars.

The best deal? I think the best deal would be for some team to throw a ridiculous offer sheet at him like 8 million+ and the Habs take the picks.

To me Price is the poster boy for Gainey’s incompetence and arrogance. Habs better start drafting goalies soon.

82. boing007 says:

Management went overboard when Theodore had a decent playoff run. Price hasn’t even got that close yet. Save percentage statistics are misleading, but a win/lost percentage hovering around .400 is not.

Richard R

Subban will not get 5 million. He’s an RFA not eligible for arbitration.

It would be a hug mistake to give Price that kind of coin. I’d rather he get a contract with incentives and bonuses. Win a play-off series get X amount, win 2 get even more. Just doling out 7 million on an RFA is ludicrous. I’d rather the Habs take the draft picks if he gets such an offer sheet.

Mind you as crazy as I think giving Price 7 million per year it isn’t as idiotic as the Philly Bryzgalov signing.

84. boing007 says:

Don’t exaggerate.They’re not worth it.

Richard R

85. db says:

Agreed, that was the best time to bring in a new GM and he knew it. The anglo coach thrown under the bus was to distract his boss.

86. db says:

We have an extra pick for Malcolm Subban.. (remember drafting Price when Theo was the franchise). I’m a Price fan and believe after his next contract he’ll price himself right outta town. Yup, heard it here first.

87. alwayssunny says:

Yes hands down the best in the world. There is no sense even debating it because it is hands down. Seriously, it’s nice that you are a Carey Price fan and all, and I don’t mean any offense honestly, but it is off the charts retarded to call him the best goalie in the world. At least if you are talking about earth.

88. alwayssunny says:

I have a hard time even calling him solid.