Habs can clinch playoff spot with win in Buffalo

Following the New Jersey Devils’ 5-4 loss to the Boston Bruins on Wednesday, the Canadiens can clinch a playoff spot with a victory over the Sabres Thursday night in Buffalo (7:30 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

If the playoffs had started Thursday, based on the standings following Wednesday’s games, the Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs would meet in the first round.

With the season-ending knee injury to Alexei Emelin, GM Marc Bergevin’s decision to pick up defenceman Davis Drewiske from the Los Angeles Kings at the NHL trade deadline in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick is turning out to be a great insurance move.

Drewiske (photo above) only played 29 games over the past two seasons with the Kings, but has suited up for all four games with the Canadiens since coming to Montreal. He logged 17:23 of ice time during Tuesday’s 3-2 loss to the Washington Capitals.

Drewiske didn’t play much in Los Angeles, but he was well respected by his teammates and management. While he didn’t see any action in the playoffs last season, Drewiske received a Stanley Cup ring from the Kings, his name is engraved on the Cup and he had a chance to meet U.S. President Barack Obama when the Kings visited the White House.

“The Kings petitioned the NHL to have my name on the Cup,” Drewiske told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey. “It was a great gesture on their part.”

Drewiske is enjoying the ice time he’s getting with the Canadiens.

“I think in some ways, playing 20-plus minutes … I don’t want to say it’s easier, but sometimes when you’re playing 14-15 minutes, it’s hard to get a rhythm going,” the 6-foot-2, 220-pounder told Hickey. “But no matter how much you’re playing, when your number is called you have to be ready.”

The Canadiens held an optional skate Thursday morning in Buffalo. The only players who didn’t take part were Max Pacioretty, Michael Ryder, Brian Gionta and Francis Bouillon. Peter Budaj, who signed a two-year, $2.8-million contract extension on Wednesday, will get the start in goal and will be looking to extend his six-game winning streak. Jeff Halpern will play in his 900th career NHL game.

Hickey sets the stage for the game against the Sabres in the video below, which was produced by The Gazette’s John Mahoney:

(Photo by Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

Game Preview: Canadiens vs. Sabres, canadiens.com

Canadiens can clinch playoff berth against Sabres, NHL.com

Game notes, buffalosabres.com

Drewiske a late bloomer in hockey, by Pat Hickey

Budaj gets start and two-year contract extension, by Pat Hickey

Up close with Peter Budaj, canadiens.com

Bruins’ Marchand injured in win over Devils, boston.com

Habs’ street-hockey tournament helps underprivileged kids, by Dave Stubbs

Habs assistant GM Dudley gets assist on Martin St. Louis hitting 900-point mark, by Stu Cowan

Gomez a healthy scratch for Sharks, by Stu Cowan

Montreal’s Goulakos leads Colgate while battling cancer, by Brenda Branswell

1. Luke says:

Jimmy Howard at 5.3/season?
    Jeepers.

(close to signing a 6yr; $31.8m)

He’s the DD of goalies. Except overpaid. ;)

• ed says:

you mean they only play Howard against the weaker teams, or maybe they take him out whenever there’s a defensive zone faceoff, or maybe he was signed long term because he speaks the same language as the majority in Michigan??

or maybe their GM thinks he’s a good goalie?

2. johnnylarue says:

Folks, the majority response to the poll question today quite frankly embarrasses me.

Since when is it cool for a Habs fan to publicly admit that they’re afraid of meeting the Leafs in the playoffs?

Since NEVER, that’s when. Never has it been cool. And never shall it be cool.

I hereby demand a wholesale retraction of all the ‘No’ votes in today’s poll.

For shame, HIO, for shame…

3. Is Marchand out for tonight’s game against NYI?

4. frontenac1 says:

Did Rat Boy get a conky?

5. Storman says:

I really do not understand the Gazette’s infatuation with the Drewiske acquisition, so the Kings players petitioned to get his name included on the cup because he was a good practice teammate, even though he was not good enough to play. I guess the 4 games he has played here and -4 is a great testament to the pickup for our depth needs on D.. and the fact he has not been on the ice for one offensive goal scored, Yes, i guess we need him, he was the best option available, he has his name on the cup..Great Argument.. Not..

Storm, I gotta say, you have had an axe to grind with this guy from the minute the trade was announced. I know you saw him play at Wisconsin, but I think he has been a serviceable cheap pickup. No one is expecting him to be a top 4 dman, just a guy that can play some minutes without hurting the team.

• ed says:

I have definitely liked the way he has played.

So have I Ed, for a 5th round pick, he has been surprisingly consistent for us. Nothing flashy, but doesn’t panic in our zone, that is what I think I like the most.

• Storman says:

I know Gerald it is just , i see and or saw a great opportunity at a cup run, and D depth is so important in a long playoff run, he is hurting us, he is serviceable and we have to use him , but it was a very weak acquisition, MB was really gun shy on letting go one of our 2nd round picks for a much better depth dman who could play with some physicality, which our lack of now, with the loss of Emelin will even be exaggerated more and taken advantage of more by our opponents.. He is a -4 in four games, he will continue to hurt us, The draft picks that we have accumulated should have been put to better use for a decent Dman even if it was a rental , how many chances have we had this late in the season with a team this impressive,..I hope Davis can up his game we really need him too, or he has to be replaced with Tinordi soon…

• ed says:

the cost for a “better depth man” was set at TWO 2nd round picks.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Emelin out for the season. Diaz still out. The team isn’t exactly healthy.

Okay, if your frustration was with MB not getting a better Dman, I understand that. It would have been much costlier though as Ed points out. I guess sometimes I just feel like you are really browbeating this guy is all. Always appreciate your opinions, CHeers Storm!

• Storman says:

Its all good, Gerald, Just worried, I will look for more positve aspects of his game in the future instead of pointing out all his flaws, I hope he steps up his game, and i am sure he will with the added TOI, and constant game action.. GO Habs GO

• Habsrule1 says:

He really hasn’t hurt us. Don’t get so caught up with his plus/minus. Watch the games instead.

Go Habs Go!!

• Storman says:

I would suggest that for yourself, i will not go into detail on my scouting reports on Davis, i would bet i have seen him play 100 more times than you, and if you think his -4 in just 4 games is his only flaw, i suggest you watch him more closely, Watch his closing speed on attacking forwards, watch how he gets lost on the ice, watch how easily he gets knocked off the puck, count how many times he actually hits someone…LMAO

• jedimyrmidon says:

Why have you been picking on the acquisition of a depth Dman?

• B says:

Drewiske averages a point for every 7.03 minutes on the PP! That’s just a shade behind Subban’s 6.7 for the best PP average on the team. Clearly Drewiske should get a ton of PP time.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Loonie says:

As much as you don’t understand the Gazette’s infatuation for Drewiske, I don’t understand your disliking him.

He’s played in four games and was great in the first two. He’s a bottom pairing defenseman for now and I don’t care how average he was six years ago at the University of Wisconsin(where he scored over a half point per game).

He’s certainly a welcome addition with Emelin gone for the year.

• Luke says:

He’s someone new to write about that most readers don’t know too much about.

• pmaraw says:

he was L.A.’s Kaberle

• aemarchand11 says:

People got excited when Greg Pateryn made his debut, and correct me if I am wrong but isnt Drewiske pretty much an upgraded version of Pateryn? Hes return was a 5th round pick, and while weve had some steals in that round, its no lock.

He is a decent defenceman, he has size which our corp doesnt. If he was getting Jeff Finger money, then id accept your complaints. Hell, even PK Subban had a rough go his first few weeks with the habs and hes an all-world defenceman.

I dont know why people cant be happy with how this team is doing.. Always have to find something to complain about i guess.

• Habsrule1 says:

He’s been fine. Worth every bit of the 5th round pick we gave up. Why would you have a problem with him?

Go Habs Go!!

• Luke says:

Exactly.

He’s fine.

Seems that most people that complain about players don’t recongnize that the majority of all NHL players are “Just Fine”.

They aren’t stars and they aren’t key contibutors. They are simply… “Fine”

6. monmick says:

QUESTION: If each Canadian province were to field a hockey team, made up of players born within their boundries and currently playing at any level anywhere in the world, for a massive winner-take-all hockey tournament, which province would win?

My money would be on Saskachewan…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated

So Volchenkov gets 4 games for his head shot on Marchand.

8. jedimyrmidon says:

Preds trio to have season-ending surgery

Nashville turning in for the season? Bodes well for their 2nd round pick.

9. jon514 says:

Shouldn’t the Canadiens should be getting some sanctions from the OLF for enabling the instruction of their players in English? I mean really, that No Excuses poster should say Pas D’excuses twice as large!

I’m sorry for bringing politics into this…

• jo_maka says:

They put a tiny S after NO for Nos excuses…..Which is french, and unexpectedly says Our Apologies :)

They’re so polite
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

10. frontenac1 says:

Leafs are a joke. Hit Kessel hard early in the game and he disappears.Been that way his whole carreer.Kadri pretends he’s tough but he hasn’t been roughed up yet. The only forward that I like is Bozak.He is tough and dangerous.The D is slow and the only one who is any good is Gartner. Reimer? Send Gio on a drive -by and watch him fold.

11. How about these lines?

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Prust – Gallagher
    Galchenyuk – Eller – Ryder
    Desharnais – Halpern – Moen

or

Bourque – Plekanec – Gionta
    Pacioretty – Eller – Gallagher
    Galchenyuk – Desharnais – Ryder
    Prust – Halpern – Moen

12. jols101 says:

Hope we can regain 2nd place tonight.
    Isles are desperate, hopefully they will play the Bruins strong tonight and come up with a big win.
    Sabers know they are done. If the Habs come out and play their game, and pressure the Sabers with their speed and fore check we should come away with 2 big points.

Go Habs Go!!!

13. HabFanSince72 says:

Quoth Timo “I have kind of laid off Therrien for a while …”

1. Actually no you haven’t.

2. A frontrunner for the Coach of the Year Award versus a guy who we have established doesn’t even watch the games. Hmmm… who should we trust?

14. Unless the habs retake top spot in the NE, which I believe is still doable, there are only a couple of teams that might take over 4th spot and be their first partner at the Big Dance. The most likely candidate is the Rangers, whose schedule is the lightest (composed of non-playoff teams).

Now, would you rather les boys play Toronto or the Rangers? I’m not afraid of either, because I know we can beat both. You have to beat the best to be the best, and all that. But, it would be a shame to lose a Canadian team from the playoffs in the first round. For that reason, I’d rather Montreal retake 1st in the division or the Rangers (or maybe the Isles) overtake Tronna.

Thoughts?

DDonais

• The Rangers, I think — though after the Gaborik trade, they’re a deeper team. They certainly looked out of their depth for long stretches vs. Toronto last night, IMO.

15. jon514 says:

Just watched tuesday’s AC. They were talking about demoting Gionta to the 4th line. On an 82 game season, he’s on pace for 23 goals… 46 points… How can he possible be a 4th liner? Is this a case of too much depth?

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I’m sure they criticized DD too…

• jon514 says:

Not exactly, but Michel Bergeron… amazingly, said he sees Chucky/Eller as the one two centers of the future for the habs.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Wow…ask him to tell that to the LaPresse reporter who gave DD a higher score than Eller the last game…

• B says:

Desharnais is on the same pace, with him and Gionta on the 4th line, that’s almost 100 points between them (not counting the other poor sole who has to play with them). Do many teams get 100 or more points from their 4th line? Wow, the Habs rock!

–Go Habs Go!–

16. B says:

Beer League Hockey: Perception vs. Reality

–Go Habs Go!–

17. I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but hits like the Volchenkov elbow on Marchand make me see red.

I don’t understand how these plays get two-game suspensions — or nothing at all, in the case of Nash’s headshot a few weeks ago, which was probably even more dangerous. In the same game last night, Seguin swung his elbow behind him in a blatant attempt to knock Zidlicky’s head off. The penalty for that: two minutes. Had Zidlicky been concussed, Seguin might have missed a couple of games.

It shouldn’t matter that a victimized player “moved his head,” as Shanahan argued happened with the Nash hit. High-sticking is high-sticking whether it’s accidental or not, and a penalty is assessed either way. Players need to be in control of their sticks at all times — why not their elbows too?

Nor should it matter whether a victimized player is horribly injured or not. When you leap at a guy’s head with your elbow outstretched, you shouldn’t get off scot-free just because it glanced off his helmet, or he’s a tough S.O.B. who managed to walk it off. I don’t understand how attempting to injure someone is somehow less awful just because you don’t succeed.

• Loonie says:

It’s less awful because it’s Brad Marchand.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Friend of the Campbells.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• We chuckle about that stuff — and believe me, I can’t stand that guy either — but there’s no room for this kind of thing in the game.

BTW, a great CBC article details how last season, players lost 1,697 man-games to concussions alone — that doesn’t include other injuries resulting from cheap shots. Suspensions for all suspendable offences combined totalled just 134 man-games. Not much of a disincentive to take a guy’s head off.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cautious, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I’m not sure what it will take to change the culture. As it stands the league, in my opinion, imagines that it benefits from the culture. The league has great faith in the capital delivered by that proportion of hockey viewers who love watching those hits and the revenge and retaliation they generate. The league sees this as a way of cashing in on whatever exactly it is that makes UFC so popular. The league in fact doesn’t really believe in the selling-power of its own product — hockey — and instead places its faith in the appetite for violence. People asked after the Chara hit on Pacioretty, Will it take a death before the league eliminates head-shots? God forbid, but should it ever happen, the league would — in my opinion — wring its hands appropriately and then revel in the increased publicity. That’s what happened when they nearly lost their poster boy.

Fans could stop it by boycotting the NHL — would never happen. And in fact, this is definitely something the players should mobilize on. But they don’t.

Because the league could eliminate it with drastic measures but choose not to, you know they don’t wish to.

(Apologies for the rant and for the clauses ending in “to”).

Thanks for the CBC link. Presume you know about Malcolm Gladwell’s article comparing football and dog-fighting?

• Thanks Mike — I think you’re right that the league sees violence as a selling point in non-traditional hockey markets in the U.S., and I’m sure this explains much of their reluctance to crack down.

The fans won’t boycott — even I won’t, I admit, because I just enjoy hockey too much. It would make sense for the players to take a stand for their own safety, but they know too that rough hockey sells tickets and puts food on their tables — especially the many less-skilled players who keep their jobs by pushing the boundaries of clean hitting and toughness.

And I hadn’t seen the article, but will read it — thanks!

• I agree; these ‘plays’ have to be removed. Until they consistently punish the act itself, rather than the consequences (which can range widely) there will still be players who try this kind of thing, are careless, reckless, etc. By just punishing the occasions where an injury results, or at least only treating them more severely, you’re just affecting the symptom, not the cause.

DDonais

• B says:

If Boston had some tough guys in the line up then that never would have happened?

–Go Habs Go!–

• jo_maka says:

Wasn’t Lurch Lucy and Caveman Thornton supposed to be tag-teaming in a Devil pummeling at some point ?

Isn’t that how it’s supposed to work ? Does Julien think the Rat embellished the hit in an attempt at cheap nose surgery ? What’s Dr Recchi’s take on this ?

I don’t even know anymore how the Boston model is supposed to work.
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Cal says:

Frankly, Valchenkov should be sent a magnum of champagne. I wonder if he elbowed The Rat because he “felt like it.”

18. frontenac1 says:

Weber? I thought they shipped him back to the Alps.

19. Mr_MacDougall says:

The argument the Leafs are tougher then the Habs and would be a bad playoff matchup is bogus… completely bogus.

Goaltending: I give Price the edge over Reimer
    Defense: Both Markov and Subban are better than any Leaf D.
    Forwards: Habs have 3 balanced scoring lines and a much better 4rth line.

Habs in 5 or 6.

• The Jackal says:

Agreed. Also, the Laffs have goons, not tough guys like Lucy.
      We can take them for sure. I am hoping we set the tone in these last two games against them.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Agreed.

One thing though, Carlyle will tell the Leafs to “hit to hurt”.

Only way Leafs beat us is if they injure Markov or a couple forwards.

I think Subban is made of steel so he can’t be hurt…

• jedimyrmidon says:

The dangerous thing about the Leafs is their willingness to take dangerous and late runs at the Habs in a so-called display of physicality. Then sucker-punch them when they get upset over a reckless run.

• Loonie says:

The Leafs’ success this season has been smoke in mirrors. The question is are they good enough defensively to maintain that.

Considering their lack of depth on defense and their goaltenders, I say no.

The subsequent question for me is when will the clock strike midnight?

20. sprague cleghorn says:

As long as we’re rehashing tired arguments… why is a 50 goal scorer like Pierre Larouche sitting in the press box while Jarvis is getting so much ice time?

… ‘ow could we forget that?

21. Kimberly2u says:

We need to win tonight’s game…Go Habs Go

Dreuwiske and Beaulieu will be a great tandem come playoff time.
    No, they will not get the playing time of the other two first pair of D.
    But both of them will help big time on special teams as well as a few shifts per period.
    Beaulieu can play on the power play when needed.
    And Druwiske is better than Emilin on the Penalty kill.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

23. Ghosts of the Forum says:

We’ll kill the Leafs.

This talk of their physicality is a bunch of BS. In 10/11 we had an even smaller team and met the Bruins in the playoffs and their physicality didn’t wear us down or win them the series…Halpern’s shin pad did.

• Hobie Hansen says:

In the long run the Canadiens “could” run out of gas after being banged around but I expect them to be flying in the 1st round and hope it continues all the way to the finals.

24. derfab says:

We are weak on the right side. Weber should be in the lineup. St Denis next. Kaberle, if he agrees to grow some and play with a much longer stick, otherwise, tell him to go home.

• DD says:

I think MB is looking at the big picture. Think about it, what happens if Kaberle does his knee in, or gets his bell rung and has concussion issues? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think a team can “Gomez” a player’s contract while he’s on the injury reserve list. That’s 4.25 million, we can use towards the cap next year.

• Luke says:

Isn’t Weber hurt?

25. jedimyrmidon says:

NHL’s trophy tracker: Norris trophy

There’s this common theme among people (e.g. the media, Leaf fans on HFBoards) who don’t follow the Habs saying that PK is a sheltered offensive defenseman, which is incredibly annoying.

They think he can’t handle tough competition or can’t play on the PK.

Last year he was the #1 Dman, but, of course, no one remembers that. Last year the Habs PK was #2 in the league with Subban playing a major role. In other words, PK has done it before, and he can do it again, and be even better.

The only reason PK hasn’t been playing the toughest minutes or minutes on the PK is because MT has decided not to use him there. That’s the only reason, and it’s irksome to see people (who don’t follow the Habs) missing that.

26. Sportfan says:

I would very pleased with a win for obvious reasons and clinching makes me worry less :P

27. bwoar says:

Just saw Volchenkov on Marchand, only 2 words come to mind: “hockey play”.

“thoroughbred”

28. frontenac1 says:

If Drewski doesn’t start throwing that 220lb frame around and start hurting people then I’m with Storman. Bench him.

29. Small_Town_Boy says:

When our Habs win the Cup in June some will still not be satified.

– They didn’t win it in 16 straight
    – Price didn’t get 16 shutouts, only 11
    – Price didn’t even get one goal
    – DD only scored 4 game winning goals
    – Budaj never played one game
    – Those 5 games should have never went to over time
    – Ryder only got 15 goals
    – The PP was only @ 88%
    – Pleks only won 90% of his faceoffs & not 100%

30. Bill says:

I do not like that third D pairing, especially on the road. Drewiske and Beaulieu are gonna get killed.

31. Thomas Le Fan says:

All our times have come
    Here, but now there, gone
    Seasons don’t fear the Leafs
    Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain
    (We can be like they are)

Come on baby

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

Baby take my hand

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

We’ll be able to fly

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

Baby I’m your man

La, la la, la la

La, la la, la la

Burkie is done

Here but now they’re gone

Sundin and Salming

Are together in Sweden

(Sundin and Salming)

Come on baby

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

Baby take my hand

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

We’ll be able to fly

(Don’t fear the Leafs)

Baby I’m your man

La, la la, la la

La, la la, la la

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

32. krob1000 says:

RE DD contract…much like MB has laid the groundwork for bridge contracts he has also set a precedent for a 50-60 point guy in DD. HE can use that contract with Eller and others as a guidleine a year from now. Will DD finish that contract in Montreal? I doubt it but when we consider this leads to a great possibility that Eller will sign part way through next year a similar deal it looks muchbetter. I also think that although PK is likely able to fetch 7 plus on the market that he will take 6.5 to match Price and that guideline has been set as well…they will instead front load and offer term to PK. MB is building a winning atmosphere and in today’s game that means salary cap control and consistency within the organization.

I have kind of laid off Therrien for a while but not with this whole Desharnais thing I think it’s time to turn the heat back on Michael Therrien and the man that hired him.

One gives Desharnais an idiotic contract that is worth about 10 time the value Desharnais is bringing to the team and the other will blindly give him a ridiculous amount of ice time when it obvious that Desharnais just can’t produce or even keep up with the regular ice time duty anymore.

First step back towards the JM/Gauthier era. Good times ahead.

• shiram says:

Well one player’s got to take Gomez’s spot now that he’s a shark! :p

• Small_Town_Boy says:

You are starting to get on my last nerve!

• Habsrule1 says:

True. Let’s not get caught up in the fact that they are 1 point out of first in the division, and have an outside chance to finish first in the East. Let’s concentrate on each player’s ice time instead….much more important.

Go Habs Go!!

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Think that’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction. MB and MT have been nothing short of brilliant this year. And DD is still on pace for about 20 goals in an 82-game season. He definitely has been slumping since he signed the contract, but I don’t think ditching a player for a 10 game slump is the right move at all…Patches would’ve been shipped out long ago using that rationale.

• DD says:

Yes, because I’m sure the main thing they’re worried about is getting heat from a chronic, defeatist, internet arm chair quarterback from Albortia.

34. The Jackal says:

Is anyone else posting but not having them show up?

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

35. shiram says:

How about the Leafs highest paid forward, one Mikhail Grabovski.
    4 more years at 5.5 millions cap hit and already lagging behind Kadri and Bozak, with only 8g/7a in 39 games.

• Habsrule1 says:

Damn good thing he doesn’t play for the Habs.
      We crucify a guy who has 7 more points and makes 2M less per year.

Go Habs Go!!

• shiram says:

Obviously Grabo has had his playing time and special teams cut short, but he does not seem to be reacting all too well, the few Leafs fans speaking on his subject don’t seem very positive about him.
        Hopefully Pateryn turns into a decent NHL’er.

36. mr_jmac says:

What is with all the comments about not wanting to play the Leafs in the first round because of the fear of losing? Come on people!

There will be nothing sweeter than the Leafs finally making the playoffs after 9 long years and then losing to the Habs in the 1st round. The chance to see the reaction of Don Cherry, Glen Healy and the rest of the CBC Leafs lovers when they go down far outweighs the chance of losing!

• mrhabby says:

there are 2 sides to every story right.

The foot print to beat the the habs was delivered by leafs when they took us down 6-0 in Feb. The foot print for us to beat the leafs was delivered by us a few weeks later.
      Playoffs are a different animal. The focus is on heavy checking all over the ice , quality goal tending and special teams. The fan base for the habs remember the leafs who are a bigger and more physical team to pound the habs based on the 6-0 game. The pressure is on the Habs to win if they meet… as the bar is so low here in TO. Making the playoffs and winning a round or 2 is all gravy so the pressure is not as great for the leafs.

• GGtheHab says:

I disagree, when you have as many leaf fans as \i do as friends and relatives the possibility of bad far outweighs the good..it is one thing to be put out by the flyers or bruins but leaf fans will gloat for decades should it come to pass. we can all agree that anything can happen in the 1st round, we have more o lose than gain by facing the leafs..

• mrhabby says:

totally agree with you. I work with a few leaf fans and have neighbours who support the leafs. Habs fans will never hear the end of it. Can you imagine..leafs not making the playoffs in years and then bumping off the Habs in first round match up. We can beat them ( the loss of Emelin is huge) but way more pressure on the Canadiens..

• Whatever says:

Because Leaf fans are idiots. I STILL hear that the Leafs would have won the cup in ’93 if it wasn’t for Fraser. How delusional is that?

If the Leafs even show up and win a couple of games, I’d hear about some unfair reffing or some lucky breaks. Leaf fans are ****** in the head.

37. Rad says:

Loonie,

Regarding Lars Eller vs. David Desharnais, there really is no comparison between the two. Lars is bigger, faster, stronger, controls the play, is a game changer, and on many nights is the best forward on the team. On the other hand, most nights one hardly notices that DD is even playing. No Game Changer is David Desharnais. Those clamoring about Eller’s “small sample size” conveniently forget that Desharnais himself has had only one good year, which coincided with the Habs having one of the worst years in recent franchise memory. As Timo would say, the team sucked donkey balls last year, and David just sucked a little less.

As Ed pointed out, David would have been a RFA at the end of the year, and there was no rush to extend his contract so quickly and for such term. In my view, the Desharnais contract is the one obvious mistake that Bergevin has made since taking over as GM, and the real issue for me is WHY. Why did Bergevin do it? (The other question of course is WHY does Therrien continue to give Desharnais more ice time, more PP time, etc.). Something is out of whack with the preferential treatment Desharnais is getting from management.

• Timo says:

It’s not true, Rad. Desharnais is very noticeable. One can notice him sucking out there every single shift… worse the Pacioretty. Worse than Moen. I was glad to see from the RDS article last night that questions have been asked from Therrien about Desharnais to which he provide some BS answer that IMHO once again emphasized preferential treatment he’s been getting. I truly hope that there is a plan to get rid off him this summer, but given his play who will want him at that ridiculous price tag?

• habsfan0 says:

Hopefully,Desharnais won’t be as invisible tonight as a snowblower in Toronto during a snowstorm.

• Habsrule1 says:

I get the feeling MT and MB both have wanted to be patient with DD and Pacioretty together, but that patience is wearing thin from MT’s recent interviews.
        My guess is they will not be together much longer unless they magically get a lot better fast.

Go Habs Go!!

• Loonie says:

I’m done with this topic.

Eller’s a better player today and has been for the large majority of the season in my opinion.

If this teams starts losing or winning at the rate of a bubble team and the adjustment to switch their roles isn’t made I’ll be upset.

If they keep winning at their current pace I’ll be happy.

• munch17 says:

Interesting to note that the assist leaders on Habs ( forwards) are:

Pacs 19
      Pleks 15
      Lars 15
      Chucky 15
      DD 13.

Of note DD plays with top forwards and number PP unit.

I think people have underestimated the impact that Cole had last year on DD’s production ( and not vice-versa).

To all those wondering what “MT” meant in twitterverse, here is your answer. It is a Modified Tweet, when the person adds something to it.

39. jo_maka says:

Man, it blows for the insurance shtick for Nygren. I was really looking forward to see that kid work his magic with the Poodles. Next year is gonna be completely different from this one. Nygren, Kristo, Hudon, Vail, probably not Collberg since he still has a year in Sweden if I’m not mistaken but still, Pateryn as a sophomore to be paired with a very eager Mac Bennett. I also remember Breezer on the radio raving about Didier. And Dietz and Thrower.

I don’t think the Dogs will be a pushover for next year.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Loonie says:

What’s up with Nygren?

I thought his homeclub in Sweden refused him permission to come over here to finish the season.

• Loonie says:

If that’s the case we’re screwed. Have until June to sign him and he’s under contract with them for another year.

He’s gone with nothing in return.

• The Jackal says:

I don’t like the sound of that.
            Can anything be done on the Habs’ end?

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

HabFab posted this yesterday, but had an opposite take on it. I sure hope I am not confusing Swedish Habs Prospects.

• commandant says:

Like we did with Engqvist. We can sign him to a 3 year ELC and let him play the first year of that deal for Farjestads. This is allowed in the transfer agreements with Sweden.

Actually a few teams have done this with prospects, but Engqvist is the Montreal example.

The transfer agreement also provides that he would come to Habs training camp. If he made the team, they would buy him out of the Swedish contract (for a set fee the Habs would pay his Swedish team), but he would go to Farjestads instead of the AHL if he did not make the big club.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

40. Andy and the habs says:

In case no one posted this link.

Candidacy to Norris Trophy?

We play the Leafs Sat, night and again the last game of the season. Be nice to take 4 points away from them.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

42. HammerHab says:

anyone else think that if the Habs and Leafs meet in the first round that no matter who wins will not make it past the second round? They just always play each other hard and I think both teams would be worn out after round 1.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Hobie Hansen says:

Habs win series 4-1 with relative ease. No issue in 2nd round.

• habsfan0 says:

Agreed.
        Grapes won’t be kissing too many Leaf players in opening round should they play the Habs.

• HammerHab says:

you dont think the Leafs physicality will take a toll on the Habs in a playoff series?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Timo says:

Desharnais will turnout to be a physical beast… you’ll see.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Their 4th line isn’t going to get much ice time…the rest of the team is overly physical.

• Andy and the habs says:

Just stay away from Grabos mouth and they’ll be ok.

• jedimyrmidon says:

The Leafs’ physicality is a reputation that the media and their fans want to perpetuate. Sure, they’ve got the most hits, but look at their players who put up offense: Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul, Grabovski, Bozak, etc.

Are they physical? No.

Is their defense physical? Sure. Are they big? Yeah. Are they mobile? Not really.

So I hope the Habs build a gameplan and exploit the disconnect between the D and the Leafs’ forwards.

• HammerHab says:

and why do those players put up the points? is it because the physical players wear down the opponent?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• jedimyrmidon says:

Haven’t figured it out myself, Hammer.

To clarify, there’s no question that they can put up good offensive numbers. But the odd thing is the way in which they do it: they score out of nowhere many times after being trapped in their own zone for extended periods of time. Classic example of an opportunistic team, but the rate at which they convert their chances is really, really high.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The Bruins’ didn’t in 10/11, so doubt the Leafs’ will — especially since we’re even bigger now.

• HammerHab says:

the fact that we’re bigger now only goes along with my theory. we weren’t big enough to tire down the B’s in 2011. not that we’re huge now but I see a Leafs/Habs series as being tiring for both sides regardless of who wins. I do think the Habs would pull it off though, in 6 games.

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

43. jon514 says:

Classy on the part of the kings. I wonder if we would petition the league to put Kaberle or Weber’s name on the cup… somehow I doubt it.

44. habsfan0 says:

Spring snowstorm currently in the GTA,to be followed by freezing rain this afternoon.
    Definitely hockey weather.

45. Release PK on the very first shift and SUBBBANGEM!

If Therrien holds him back we lose!

Let him go, penalties and all, and play PK hockey!

Tired of Miller stopping everything. Screen the crap out of him and shots to the net from everywhere.

Not rocket science!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

46. Skeptical says:

Don’t just pick one team whom the Habs will have a hard time against in the playoffs in the Eastern Conference.

Except for the Rangers. The Habs will be tested against anyone of these teams. There will be no easy ride, No easy periods or they’ll have a short playoff run.

Playoffs is a new season where everything you’ve worked for in 48 games is on the line ….

47. secretdragonfly says:

Looks like we picked up a new troll this morning – welcome aboard.

48. HammerHab says:

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on Desharnais or Eller….haven’t heard much talk about them lately….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

• Hobie Hansen says:

Eller is outplaying Desharnais and the contract given to Desharnais may be the only blemish on Bergevin’s record thus far?

Is that what you’re looking for? :-).

• shiram says:

Moen’s deal is up there too.
        Especially with Moen’s play of late, not bad, but not worth 1.8 for a 4th liner.

• HammerHab says:

I was looking for something less related to their actual production. Something like this:

Eller loves to eat danishes and Desharnais loves poutine. Danishes are slightly better for you than poutine is. Because of his better eating habits Eller is clearly in slightly better shape and therefore should command more ice time and a better contract provided there is a clause allowing him a lifetime supply of said danishes. Unless they’re cherry danishes. He prefers apple. With some icing. And some chocolate milk. As long as it’s not Swiss chocolate. He hates the Swiss. How else do you think Diaz really got hurt?

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

49. commandant says:

#3 on my draft board is Seth Jones.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jo_maka says:

Fine work as always Commandant.

I have a question though. I’ve been reading a little bit about the updates that most draft blogs had, and I noticed some of them says even though Jones is the no contest #1 D, Darnell Nurse is close, some even says very close behind. What do you think ?

Also, how about this Lehkonen kid ? Do you think we can get him ?
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• commandant says:

I don’t think Nurse is that close. I’ve got a top 8 or so and then see a drop off after that. Nurse is in the next group

top 3
        next 5
        next tier.

Lehkonen is one of those late risers, and who knows where they end up. Some times we see them go really high like Mark Scheifele, or Hampus Lindholm. Some don’t rise as much as they are hyped to like Teuvo Teravainen. Its hard to say.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

And while your at it Ben, what do you know about the Big Swedish centerman that BOston just signed. Clearly good stats and decent size, but curious why he waited so long to come over to NHL.

• commandant says:

I haven’t seen a lot of him. Most of my international exposure is World Juniors, Hlinka, Under 18s, Four Nations and other such national team tournaments rather than the Elite leagues. So for a late bloomer I can’t give much more than I’ve read elsewhere (which is pretty positive on him) rather than the scouting reports on the prospects.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Nice work!

Is this article part of the Top60? Can’t wait till you get to players around where the Habs will draft.

• As it stands right now Colorado and Florida badly need a big strong defenseman to start their rebuild. Where Calgary needs a high profile player to build around for the franchise (player).

Colorado needs Seth!

Those four bottom feeders will move too much to determine who will go #1.

All I know is whomever drafts Brandon’s Pulock they will be very happy!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

I am a little bit stunned. This week at work I provided support for two users in Calgary who get this… are ex-NHLers; Gord Sherven and Perry Berezan. Today Perry revealed that he used to play for the Flames back in 1986 and was on the ice at the storied Forum for the SCF’s. Perry also got credited with the goal that Steve Smith scored on his own net in 1986. Both really nice gentlemen. That brought a huge smile to my day.

51. Loonie says:

A Jets win and a Senators loss tonight leaves Ottawa on the outside looking in at the top eight teams in the East.

Jets are in Florida
    Senators are in Philadelphia

52. ed says:

comparing Plekanec offensive production vs Desharnais offensive production (just to stir the crap a bit more)

Keep in mind Plekanec makes 5 million per season and Desharnais is making 950,000 for this year, and 3.5 million next year.

Plekanec has 28 points this season; 14 even strength and 14 on the power play

Desharnais has 22 points this season; 17 even strength and 5 on the power play.

Both play equal time on the power play. about 2:45 per game.

So offensively, we can NOT conclude that Plekanec is having a great season and Desharnais stinks this year- not by a long shot.

We can simply conclude that Plekanec has been on the ice for more effective power play.

5 on 5 Desharnais has been 3 points more productive than Plekanec.

• Loonie says:

Plekanec has more difficult starts, plays against tougher players and is better defensively.

• ed says:

I said compare OFFENSIVE production, very clearly.

• Loonie says:

The quality of opposition and starts is relevant in discussing offensive production.

And you brought salary into the equation. Salary isn’t based on offensive production alone.

• ed says:

salary also justifies the “quality of opposition” does it not?

Plekanec is being paid 4 million more this season and 1.5 million more going forward.

All I’m saying is that you guys are so convinced that Desharnais has not held up his end of the bargain this year, that he’s a “flash in the pan”, yet his offensive production is not far off of Plekanec who is considered a HUGE STAR.

• Loonie says:

Desharnais is scoring once every 21 minutes on the powerplay. If that doesn’t indicate a funk I don’t know what does.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Not sure if the “huge star” was sarcastic or not, but Pleks is considered very valuable because of his two-way game, a good offensive game and a stellar defensive one (I’m obviously preaching to the choir). If Pleks had ONLY the offensive game while lacking the ideal attributes of a center and indeed possessed severely limiting attributes (i.e. wasn’t fast, was among the shortest players in the NHL), then he wouldn’t be considered very valuable.

Let’s break down their salaries:
            DD: 3.5M for 50-60points in an offensive-only, exploitation role
            Pleks: 5M for 60+points, in a defensive, shutdown role; excellent on the PK

So, that’s about 1.5M of Pleks’ salary going to defensive contributions? I think that’s undervaluing his defensive contributions. Which means… 3.5M for 50-60points offense-only might be kind of high.

• Ozmodiar says:

> salary also justifies the “quality of opposition” does it not?

Not necessarily. The Sedins come to mind.

• shiram says:

Context, you lack it.

• ed says:

what context? compare numbers

• Loonie says:

This reminds of when Darcy Tucker was a Leaf. Brian Burke placed him at the backdoor of the net both at even strength and on the powerplay in the offensive zone. He scored 52 goals in the two seasons that this was happening.

I’d bet that 80% of those goals or more were uncontested into a wide open net.

• ed says:

really? well I think this further explains why our GM signed Desharnais for 4 years. They are pleased with Desharnais’ 5 on 5 production and they feel he warrants the extension.

• Loonie says:

Huh?

They signed Desharnais because they feel his even strength production warranted it?

I thought they signed him because he had a 60 point season and worked his way up the pro ladder the hard way. But I guess what you’re saying could be true.

• Ozmodiar says:

>5 on 5 Desharnais has been 3 points more productive than Plekanec.

Applying the same logic that you did for Pleks on the PP:
      We can simply conclude that Desharnais has been on the ice for more effective 5 on 5.

• ed says:

yes. that’s right. 5 on 5 Desharnais and his linemates have been more effective OFFENSIVELY.

• Ozmodiar says:

5 on 5 – slight advantage to DD. Understandable given the context, as Shiram points out.

PP – large advantage to Pleks.

On the PP, variables such as zone starts and match-ups are stripped away, showing us who is the better OFFENSIVE player – Pleks (and it’s not even close).

• jedimyrmidon says:

Okay, so from a purely offensive perspective, Pleks has outperformed DD on the PP, but has slightly less points at ES. You want to disregard against who Pleks plays and who DD plays? That’s not very fair, but okay, fine.

Let’s perform an analysis defensively (ES, on the PK). Oh wait, DD is pretty much the only player on the team that isn’t expected to have much of a defensive game, and isn’t held to that kind of standard. (Gallagher doesn’t count since he’s a 20 year old rookie)

• ed says:

people here have declared for 2 days that Desharnais is a flash in the pan, didn’t deserve his contract extension, is blocking the development of Galchenyuk and Eller.

When you look at the 17 points even strength that Desharnais has put up, that’s not a bad number. Not bad at all.

Even strength production has been a huge problem for the Habs, and it needs to be considered as one of the key reasons for their success.

• shiram says:

Eller has one less ES point that DD, while playing alot ES time.
          Pleks faces toughest opposition on ES time, explaining the 3 points difference between him and DD.
          I was expecting alot more from DD this season, sure 17 ES points is not bad, but he is setup to be the leading point getter on ES and he can’t distance himself from players playing tougher situations and/or less TOI.

• jedimyrmidon says:

Personally, I’m not arguing that DD is a ‘flash in the plan’ or that he didn’t deserve a contract extension. I do believe he will impede Eller’s and Galchenyuk’s development in the next couple of years, which might be problematic because DD’s contract is 4 years.

Actually, I think that Eller deserves time in the Top 6 this year, and DD’s apparent immobility within the lineup is preventing Eller from being moved up. (The only other option would be moving Pleks, but, as I’m sure you’d agree, that would be a bad idea)

• ebk says:

lol, awesome post!

53. arcosenate says:

Love the Gomez video, Can’t Put It In!

54. L Elle says:

Welcome back my friends
    to the show that never ends
    We’re so glad you could offend
    There behind a mass
    stands a real bunch of crass
    Be careful as you pass,
    move along, move along

the show’s about to start
    Guaranteed
    to blow your head apart
    Rest assured
    you’ll get your blarney’s worth
    The greatest show
    in hockey, Hell or Earth
    You’ve got to see the show,
    it’s blow by blow
    You’ve got to see the show,
    it’s puck and foul oh

Right before your eyes
    see the absurd from the lies
    And he laughs until he cries,
    then he sighs, then he sighs

CHorus

Soon the Halak fiend
    in a glaze of morphine
    Will perform on guillotine,
    what a scene, what a scene
    Next upon the stand
    will you please extend a hand
    To players in the game, crash-land
    CH brand, CH brand

See the show

Pretending like a fool
    You’ve no clue to make you cool
    Seven D men and a mule,
    keep it, fool, keep it, fool
    We would like it to be known
    the trade ideas that were shown
    Were exclusively our own,
    all our own, all our own

Come and see the show,

55. Garbo says:

Does anyone else have difficulty reading the tweets on the side?

It’s either some code I don’t understand or the worst use of English grammar ever. I assume the former which is often the case :)

“RT @_#actual words.#habs …” what the hell does any of this mean?

I must be gettting old.

56. Mavid says:

a win tonight clinches a playoff spot…last year I could not even dream that this is what it would be like..so excited I can hardly stand it…I don’t care who we play I think we can beat any of them..the Leafs would be cool, Sens not so much..but hey…a couple of more loss’s and we may not even have to worry about them hehehehe

57. Thomas Le Fan says:

I’m starting to like this Drewske kid. I hope he works out and gets his name on the cup again, this time actually getting on the ice.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

58. Ghosts of the Forum says:

What’s with the terror of the Leafs in the first round??

Bring ‘em on!!

• shiram says:

Some feel the Leafs are playing above their talent level, what with lucky shooting % and such.
      Tough to beat luck.

• Habsrule1 says:

I agree. Habs would win a series. Much different than a random regular season game here & there.

Go Habs Go!!

• Garbo says:

I would love to see a Habs-Leafs first round.

• If you’re afraid of a little leaf, there’s something wrong with you. I’m still betting they fall to 8th or 9th! :lol:

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Luke says:

It’s dealing with the idiot fans everyday at work for the rest of my life.

I still hear about the 6-0 game.

I keep hearing from people that the Habs haven’t been good since the seventies, even though we matched the best season most of the have ever seen in their lives a couple years ago.
      That our cup wins were either lucky or from when the NHl was rigged…

• GGtheHab says:

yes, they talk about hab fans living in the past..try to argue with a leaf fan and they always bring up this gem” if gretzky had gotten a penaly for cutting gilmour we would have won the cup” not the game or the series, the cup…but we can shut them with, so, who did win t in 93?

• jo_maka says:

The horror is just association the word ”playoff” and the Leafs. The mind boggles anticipating old man Cherry soil his shower curtain of pants on
      _________________________________
      Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• TommyB says:

Terror? Hardly. However, the Leafs have beaten us two of three games so far. The Habs have difficulty with big net-crashers. The Leafs are that type of team. Then there is the wild card known as the officiating. Maple Leaf pajama-wearers such as Tim Peel and Chris Lee come to mind. These are reasons to be at least mildly concerned.

I would watch for the Leaf knuckle-draggers to be running the smaller Habs players during the two remaining games we have with them prior to the playoffs. Why not go out and injure one or two guys who concievably could be a pain in the ass for you in a playoff matchup? Carlyle plays that style, and he will be in prime form for those two games that will most likely lead to a Habs/Leafs playoff series.

59. Newf_Habster says:

Did Marchand lose his big beak at the game against the Devils last night? ;)

• Ron says:

Missed the beak but got hell of an elbow to the side of the head. The surprising thing about it was there was no line brawl after it. Maybe the team not like the rats shate so much.

60. jo_maka says:

It’s not important for us to absolutely finish first.

It is however extremely important to absolutely finish healthy.

Because this is the playoffs, gentlemen. There won’t be no easy match up. Everyone in the spring dance will think they have a shot and they’ll plow right ahead.

So we need to stay healthy so we can use our depth and versatility against anyone to go as deep as possible.
    _________________________________
    Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

• Garbo says:

Too late for that I’m afraid.

• jo_maka says:

Not quite. Just as we clinch the spot, give therapy days to Pleks, Marky, Cube and the likes. Let Kabs and LJV roll on D. Scratch Gally for a while to regroup. Whatever. Just don’t burn all remaining oil we might have for the last games of the season. We need to start the playoff with able-bodied warriors.
        _________________________________
        Open-mindedness is not a skull fracture

61. frontenac1 says:

Just read the workers at the Liquor Store might go on Strike? How could they do that? It is an Essential Service. That”s it. I”m off to stock up. Bast#ds!

• Les-Habitants says:

I saw that, but remember what happened when the SAQ went on strike? All the managers just stepped up, and while there were less stores open, the service was a lot better and the union folded in the end.

Plus, maybe this will get Ontario to allow more private stores to carry beer and alcohol which would be awesome.

62. Skeptical says:

I’m no expert but. This how my lines would look like against Buffalo.

Bourque Plekanac Gionta
    Pacioretty Eller Gallagher
    Galchenyuk Desharnais Ryder
    Moen Halpern Prust

Personally I think Eller deserves a try out on the 2nd line and that’s not to put Desharnais down he’s done a good job.

• Habsrule1 says:

I cannot see Ryder on the 3rd line. Other than that, it looks ok….switch Ryder & Gallagher perhaps?

Go Habs Go!!

• Timo says:

What if MT comes to his senses and makes Desharnais line a 3rd line (which is what they are at best). That way Ryder is not on the third line and all is honky dorry :)

• Luke says:

How about this then?

Galchenyuk Desharnais Ryder
        Moen Halpern Prust
        Pacioretty Eller Gallagher
        Bourque Plekanac Gionta

Does the order they write them down in really matter?

• The Juice says:

Ryder needs to be with Pleks…full stop

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Luke says:

The Bourque – Plekster – Gio line carried the team at the start of the season.
        Galch can find players with passes that it seems they aren’t expecting. Ryder has better snipey-hand skills to handle the ‘random’ tape-to-tape pass for a scoring chance than Prust does.

63. RabidHabit says:

Hoping we finish 4th…puts less pressure on this young team. Leafs first round, then a second round with bruins. Win or lose, what a dream playoff year! Think about it, we were LAST place a year ago.

64. RabidHabit says:

We’ve been waiting since 1977 for a leafs habs playoff series. PLEASE, let’s make this a reality! If we can’t beat them, we have no place in the dance anyway.

65. Loonie says:

5-3 win.

Goals from Moen, Gorges, Gionta(2) and an empty netter from Plekanec.

66. Cal says:

Nice little promo video. Cool feature.

67. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Really liking the Chucky – Eller – Ryder line. Eller on the boards, Chucky with the pass, Ryder snipes. Easy peasy :)

Ryder has been great this season, but being a threat on the third line is the best spot for him. He’s terrible defensively (‘cept with kick saves) so put him in a position to succeed — less minutes against top offensive threats.

DD has to get going tonight and the D needs to show they’re ready for the playoffs. Complete game needed tonight!

68. shiram says:

Eller getting Ryder is definitely a good sign for the young Dane, Ryder can fill the net and with the team’s top scorer on his wing he should see at least a slight increase in ES TOI.

Drewiske with Beaulieu as the third pairing is interesting, Bouillon gets to play with Markov.

• Timo says:

Is that a recognition that perhaps not Markov was making Emelin better but the other way around?

If MB sticks to these pairing though I think Habs will be reduced to 4 dmen by the time second period rolls in.

Are the boys really hungrier than the Sabers for the two points tonight.
    They have beaten us the last two games that we have played them.
    They have large D and it is difficult to get in behind them without great effort. And behind them is Miller.
    Speed, discipline and tenacity will carry the day!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

Another feel good story. Aaah, how I love them. Don’t think there is a need to watch a game today since it sounds like the win is guaranteed – Drewinskie The Good Guy is in the lineup.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Oh those Lorias.

72. GGtheHab says:

Lets get back in 1st place…I hate the thought of facing the leafs in the 1st round…should the unthinkable happen imagine how unbearable it would be listening to the fans and tsn/cbc…we would HAVE to beat them or suffer through this for a long time..

• Small_Town_Boy says:

Losing to the Leafs is unaceptable.

They will not lose to the Leafs right?

Please tell me the Habs won’t lose to the Leafs, can’t lose to the Leafs!

• dsturge10 says:

Although I feel quite confident about the Habs chances against the Leafs in the playoffs, here is the only thing that worries me:

The Canadiens have a 7-5-3 record against the Northeast Division and an 18-4-2 mark against the rest of the conference

If you believe in this then our chances to go deep on a run lies within staying out of our division.

73. The Jackal says:

Tried to post this bit about Eller and DD on the last thread but it did not show:

Just walked into a DD vs. Eller debate – HIO’s new Price vs. Halak.
    It’s funny how we take argue these almost as court cases, when in the reality the players just play hockey, form part of the team with their different strengths and weaknesses, and enjoy the challenge.

Now, is this really a debate, or just personal preference of players?
    DD was great last year and is still on pace for about 50 points prorated for a full season – not bad for his cap hit or expectations. Eller has been great this season, and will hopefully continue to get better.

As we know, there will be a bit of jam at centre, so here we are speculating as to who gets the boot. DD or Eller? Well, some say DD will never be traded, but that’s just speculation. Any player can be moved, and if Eller is miles ahead of DD, I doubt that MB would move Eller. Some think that DD gets to stay because he is French. I have not heard dumber argument! DD is where he is because he has proven himself. Should he fail to live up to his expectations and potential then he will not be playing his top minutes.

Some ask why DD continues to play despite his lacklustre performance so far. Well, coaches and players are much more knowledgeable and patient than us observers. They know what DD can do and don’t see him as being a detriment to the team. There is faith in DD, as there should be. Who’s opinion on the matter would you take – Max Pac’s, or a fan’s?

As for Eller. Personally, I think he will be great, and I hope he sticks with the team over DD in the event that it comes down to one of these two players. But I still think some here are quick to turn on DD. Eller also makes mistakes and misses chances – it happens. It’s best to allow the hockey staff to make those choices and to criticize even-handedly instead of blindly – DD is not going the way of Gomez, nor should he be replaced like Gomez was. Shuffle lines/wingers, yes, but DD is not the only forward who has to pick it up!

In the end, one may have to go, but it is purely speculative to say who it will be at this point. Both players contribute for us, obviously the team likes them and they compliment their weaknesses in other areas. Let’s not let this one turn into Halak vs. Price.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. The Jackal says:

First of the first!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.