Habs call up Tinordi from Bulldogs

After a day off on Sunday, the Canadiens will practise Monday morning in Brossard and defenceman Jarred Tinordi is expected to be with them.

The Canadiens announced late Sunday afternoon that they have called up the 6-foot-6, 227-pound defenceman from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

In 47 games with the Bulldogs this season, Tinordi has 3-6-9 totals and 70 penalty minutes. In six games with the Canadiens, he has no points and nine penalty minutes.

Tinordi was the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick (22nd overall) in 2010.

Carey Price, after returning home from Sochi with an Olympic gold medal, was slated to meet with the media Monday in Brossard.

The Canadiens play their first post-Olympic game Wednesday night when Team Canada coach Mike Babcock and the Detroit Red Wings visit the Bell Centre. On Thursday, the Habs will be in Pittsburgh to face Team Canada captain Sidney Crosby and the Penguins.

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Bulldogs players wait for that call from Canadiens, by Brenda Branswell

Price savours his golden moment, By Ed Willes of Postmedia News

Habs fans need to let Subban Sochi snub go, by Mike Boone

A great win for Canada, but not a great game, by Jack Todd

1. Olympic Quotes to remember

25 Stanley Cups February 19, 2014 at 12:47 pm
    The US looks confident, the Canadians quite the opposite, i think given a choice i’d rather they lose today, than Friday. I wont be able to handle the humility of losing to the US.
    And I don’t understand, how come most people here can’t see how unsettled Price is, and has been for a while.
    Im so tired of it being the Defense all the time, he’s a friggin goalie, not someone that needs all the elements in front of him to be perfect for him to succeed

25 Stanley Cups February 19, 2014 at 12:53 pm
    Another point, how many times do we see a team confident up front, because who`s in net.
    The only game they actually showed promise was the game with Luongo in net, these guys all know each other, played in the minors together, have summer homes in the same areas, have family get togethers, is it so hard to believe that most might have more confidence in another netminder over the other. Not at all.

25 Stanley Cups February 19, 2014 at 2:33 pm
    Grammar aside, assessment is bang on.
    Team Canada would of won, 8-0 if Price was the Latvians goalie, no question.
    End Quote

Welcome Back NHL, The Big Ice can stay in Europe, it’s not a factor of keeping up with the European teams but rather who can coach the best system.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

• SlimDiggity says:

Wow I never saw any of these originally. #leafsinsideout.com

• AliHaba says:

Wow! A real Price-hater for sure. But once again Carey doesn’t get the credit he deserves. I can’t remember seeing a goal-tender with such a calm demeanor and so technically correct in his play.

If you think back to the last 2 Habs cups in ’86 and ’93, they were not in the discussion as a cup contender but behind the redhot Patrick Roy they won both. Shows that good goaltending can indeed go a very long way. Certainly gives a glimmer of hope to a long-time Habs’ supporter.

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

It is time for Price to produce! Scoreboard. Roy did not have a great defense in front of him either but he won the cup and got it done. Price is not a 18 year old kid with plenty of time to dick around and “find” himself. Tick tock tick tock. This whole rebuilding things has taken 20 plus years!!!! When cup 25 has been won I will bow before the altar of Price but not a minute before. Let’s be like the New York Yankees and start throwing money and buying the best they have pasted us up by 3. Another gold medal who cares.

Till next time….

• Maritime Ronn says:

Roy didn’t have a good D in front of him?

1986:
          Larry Robonson, Chris Chelios, Craig Ludwig, Rick Green, Petr Svoboda, Gaston Gingras.

• You don’t have to bow, but man if you can’t appreciate what this goalie has done from draft day on, then wow.

-being picked #5 in a position where automatically youare compared to Vezina, Plante, Dryden, and the Great Theodore hehe
          -Goalie controversy year after year.
          -Allen Walsh publicly trashing him (thanks for that by the way)
          -Halak run and the crap he had to put up with that whole summer.
          -Creeping up the career wins list on teams who were good to average.

# Name Wins
          1 Jacques Plante _ 314
          2 Patrick Roy _ 289
          3 Ken Dryden _ 258
          4 Bill Durnan _ 208
          5 Georges Vézina _ 175
          6 Carey Price _ 170
          7 George Hainsworth _ 167
          8 Michel Larocque _ 144
          9 José Théodore _ 141
          10 Gerry McNeil _ 119

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Carey Price and PK Subban, Olympic Gold Medal Winners!

• Habfan29 says:

this guy is an absolute joke, must come from #leafsinsideout…glad you save those e-mails

2. Maritime Ronn says:

@ CJ

Re your Karlsson comment below, here’s agreeing and I have never witnessed a more defensive liability receive so many accolades as a ‘defenseman.’

Of course he is terrific on offence with 55 points so far, yet 25 of those points came on the PP…a PP equivalent to the Habs in efficiency.

The stat of Plus/Minus can also be misleading depending on goaltenders and team played for, yet in this case it tells the story.

Karlsson is a whopping Minus – 14, and is by far the worst Sens Dman in that category.

• CJ says:

Agreed.

The kid really is a fourth forward. Kinda like the wildcat offence in football or some hybrid type player. He is terrifically gifted, a wonderful skater, with deft passes and a hard, accurate shot. He is as close to Paul Coffey (offensively) as I’ve seen. That’s high praise.

That said, he is, matter of fact, terrible defensively. Truth be told, his plus minus is actually decent all things considering. He is at his most vulnerable when the opposition extends a cycle in his end and on his side. We watched that yesterday. The tournament’s best defenceman?

Not a chance.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

I wouldn’t care if Karlsson was -50. He’s unbelievable on offense (best since Coffey IMO). +/- is tricky as it is also team mate/opposition dependent. What was Shea Weber’s +/- going into the Olympics? Something bad I think…

• Maritime Ronn says:

Weber’s team Nashville has played only 9 games with their #1 Goaltender Pekke Rinne (imagine the Habs without Price)

4 other goalies have played nets this year for Nashiville and none of them have been very good.
        Weber is far from the worst + – on the team.
        That goes to Seth Jones at – 20.

• chemic says:

i too dont get that negative perspective on Karlsson. i dont see us with a better chance of scoring a goal against the sens when Karlsson is on the ice. the other way, well if that guy gets the puck im a bit scared because he is like Subban, a true wildcard who can do anything on the ice. great player!

• CJ says:

Good morning. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Lots of great points. The most recent game in which Ottawa played Montreal (at the Bell Centre – Sens won 4-3 in ot) was a perfect illustration of Karlsson.

He was the PP quarterback who set up the winning OT goal, but was also a minus 3 that night. A great example was the Briere goal where he was totally lost in coverage.

Again, there isn’t a more polarizing or difficult player to assess in the entire league. He combines an unbelievable talent offensively, with defensive lapses. I don’t think he will ever become that 200 ft player that Doughty is, so there is no sense trying to force it on him. Yes, he does scare me every time he is on the ice, but if you ask a number of Sens fans, they will tell you that something is going to happen, either for or against. He, much like Spezza, are the yings and yangs of this league. No two players can create an offensive chance quicker, nor can they give up a goal scoring chance with greater ease.

Again, thank you for engaging in this conversation. I respect your opinions. Cheers, CJ

3. Habfan10912 says:

A little too much partying at the Olympics for Vanek and his boys?

4. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

Very much looking forward to shifting conversation back to the Canadiens this morning. Although not all pieces will be in place, I hope practice gives some indication of who’s in and who’s out. With the deadline set for March 5, this will be an interesting week plus. We hit the ground running on Wednesday against the Red Wings and scarcely get a breath for air over the next two weeks.

I’m sure we are going to have a lot to talk about. Have a great day everyone! Cheers, CJ

• Habfan10912 says:

Morning CJ. I’m looking forward to the Hab talk as well. I made the mistake of checking out the schedule for the first couple of weeks after the Olympic break. I sure hope Timo doesn’t see it. That won’t be happy reading. CHeers.

• Cal says:

Hey CJ.
      Regarding PK and where he stands among the best D in the league. Show me another player that can do it all like he does and show me another player who has had to be “corrected”. PK can control the game. Will he make errors? Yes. Will he win you more games than pretty much any other D out there? Yes.
      I believe that PK will return and kick Babcock’s Wings collective asses Wednesday night. I’ll be smiling all the while.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hi cal

Subban is a terrific Dman, yet is nowhere close to his potential Superstar ceiling, and you have to admit that he sometimes loses concentration out there.

scotland mentions Doughty-Weber-Keith and what should be remembered about these 3 is that they all play the very tough 1st Unit PK for their teams.

And yes, I do remember when Subban was a Top 4 PK guy during the 10-11 season when the Habs had the 2nd best PK….yet, he has not been part of that for the past 2 seasons.

Point the finger where you wish, yet the belief from here about his non-playing is Soshi had a lot to do with being omitted on his own team’s PK, along with not being trusted early in the year to be on the ice in the last minutes of a close game.

• Cal says:

This “he plays on the PK” thing is getting very old. If MT had a brain, PK would be out there in all situations. Nilan on the last HIO show was right. It is nothing more than the “dumbing down” of PK. It is bleeping stupid, but there it is.
          The “lack of brains” trust that ran the team like the Devils deserves kudos for winning the most boring Olympic hockey Tournament ever. I, for one, will never be suckered into watching that crap again.

• CJ says:

Hi Cal. Again, thank you for sharing. You make some great points, albeit emotionally driven (IMO). I too love watching Subban. He was full value for the Norris last season. No other defencement in the league was his equal.

That said, if you are asking right now, I think others have done a good job of pointing out defencemen who are at least equal to PK in many aspects. I fully believe that PK has just started to scratch the surface which is why I covet him the way I do. But, I also need to call it as I see it. Honestly, over the past 15-20 games, he just hasn’t been very good. Speaking very candidly, I am not even suggesting that he has been off his PK standard (which is high), but truthfully he is off the league standard, which is a lower metric.

I am really looking forward to a bounce back following the Olympics. He has all the tools and all the mental capacity to be special. I have every confidence that this will be on full display, starting against the Wings on Wed. night.

Lastly, you can bet I will be cheering for him and smiling myself. Cheers, CJ

5. HankHardball says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

The IOC has ranked Canada 3rd among Olympic hockey nations, behind Sweden & Finland?

Despite consecutive gold medals and consecutive shut outs in the last 2 games this year.

Not to mention 4 consecutive golds for the women.

If it’s true, they need their heads re-examined.

6. Miltie01 says:

PK was not benched because he makes mistakes…… everybody makes mistakes. It is what he does after the mistakes he makes. PK tends to do things that compounds the mistakes. The six who played don’t often do that. This is an experience issue, PK is still learning. It is no big deal.

7. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if there had been 3 separate NHL awards for ‘best’ defensemen

…the Norris: for Best Overall Defenseman

…the Doug Harvey Trophy: for Best Defensive Defenseman

…and, the Bobby Orr Trophy: for Best Offensive Defenseman

…which ONE of those 3 should have P.K. won when He won the Norris ?

…Norris Trophy ? …in My opinion, no

…Doug Harvey Award ? …in My opinion, no

…or, the Bobby Orr ? …yes …though Karlsson’s injury that season took him out of the equation …I think the season of P.K.’s Norris, this is what He would/should have won

…I think Sochi showed Us that P.K. barely makes the Top 5 in ‘best overall defensemen’ (Norris) in the NHL at this time

…P.K.’s athleticism, foot speed, and combination of reasonable physicality plus offensive threat makes Him ONE of the best defensemen in hockey

…but, what He does not have is the HUGE physical stud components combined with those qualities that Weber, Doughty, Pietrangelo, and several others have today in the NHL to warrant a Norris

• kairos66 says:

All Sochi should me is that PK is not a top D in the minds of the Detroit gang which includes three of the most defensive minded coaches in the NHL.

Apart from Doughty and Weber, do not try to convince me that the others are better then PK.

There were plenty of mistakes committed by the Team Canada D but they always had a forward back checking.

Kairos66

• Cal says:

Ain’t no other awards besides the Norris. PK is better than Weber, Keith, Bouwmeister and especially Vlasic. That he didn’t get to play in the Olympics, aside for 1 game, is on the idiots that coached Team Canada.
      That you don’t consider him a Top 5 candidate shows how much you’ve bought into their nonsense. Hiding it by saying he is one of the better athletes is not very credible.
      PK is the reigning Norris winner. He has been treated very poorly by a Team Canada management team that turned the best offensive juggernaut in the world into the New Jersey Devils. Games that should have been fun to watch became effing snoozefests and brought me to believe that the NHL should never go to the Olympics ever again.

• CJ says:

Cal, I enjoy reading your posts, but I respectfully disagree with you.

Firstly, PK was the Norris trophy winner…last year. In professional sports it’s all about here and now. The truth is, over the last 15-20 regular season games his play has not been up to par. The reasons, coaching staff, benching, etc., can be debated, but PK has slumped.

This season, he is not among the top five defencemen in the league. He is in the top ten, which is still amazing, especially given the drop off in play recently.

You might hate Babcock and the team Canada executive, but they came prepared and got 25 professional athletes to buy into a system. He was not treated poorly. Price got the start based on his play leading up to the games. PK’s play got him a seat in the press box. Sure, he could have dressed ahead of DH and sat on the bench, but what’s the difference?

Lastly, admittedly, I wasn’t a big fan of the preliminary games, but against the US and Sweden I thought both games were exciting. For each their own I guess. Winning solves a lot of problems IMO.

Just my two cents….

• Marc10 B All About Gold Baby! says:

Looking at the League’s top defensemen, I’d put PK just outside the top 5… but barely (and that’s mostly because of the hiccups he’s had this year…)

You can flip a coin between Keith, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo and Suter.

Outside of those 5 guys, I see PK, Letang, McDonaugh, Karlsson and Chara as your next 5.

As guys like Chara, Weber and Suter age, I’d expect guys like Jones and that kid who plays with Suter in Minny to move down the order… and for Mr Subban to firmly establish himself as one of the best three in the world on any given night.

PK is a gem. He’s playing for mid pack team with a spotty defence at the moment. If he gets a chance to be paired up with another 30 minute man, he’ll rack up the hardware and be a lock for Team Canada.

8. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, Carey signed a 6 year deal for $ 39 million ($6.5 million/year)

…P.K., according to the World Wild Web, wants $ 64 million for 8 years ($ 8 million/year)

…which of the two is the most valuable, essential and popular Player for the Montreal Canadiens at this time ? …P.K. or Carey ?

…if it’s Carey, …is there an issue that P.K., hypothetically could be paid $ 1.5 million more than Carey for the next several years ?

• GenerationYHabs says:

That’s comparing apples to oranges though. When Carey signed, the cap was much lower then it currently is. Also if I remember correctly, Price’s contract will have eaten up less UFA years then Pk’s will and it was also comparable to other top end goalies at the time.

9. Habitant in Surrey says:

…whenever Pateryn is in discussion I only read Him described as a ‘defensive defenseman’

…Pateryn skates better than Tinordi, and Tinordi is no pylon

…the game I watched of the Bulldogs Pateryn was very noticeable flying all over the ice …the Guy has wheels when He wants to use them

…We haven’t seen it so much in His few games with the Habs, but what I saw in Abbotsford Pateryn is more than a one dimensional defense-man

…plus, I believe He is one of the Bulldogs top scorers with 9 for the season so far

…Pateryn is MORE than a ‘defensive defenceman’

• Loop_Garoo says:

I think its more based on projection to the pros. Pateryn was always considered more of defensive guy since they drafted him, this year in the AHL he’s shown a lot more, so maybe those original projections were wrong. I think more likely though, he projects to be a sold 3-4-5 guys in the NHL, getting a few points, playing solid defensively, but not a star in any category.

Greg

10. Habitant in Surrey says:

…will be more certain ‘things’ are going in the right direction for the Habs when BOTH Beaulieu and Tinordi are part of Our Top 6 D

…any hopes in the playoffs with Boullion (love His soul) and/or Drewiske part of Our D will be zero

…whether We get beyond the first round with both Beaulieu and Tinordi in the line-up is moot …I think They give Us a better chance to get to the second round, but even if We lose and out in one, They are getting the experience They need for next season

…Markov-P.K.
    …Emelin-Beaulieu
    …Gorges-Tinordi
    …Murray

…hardly the D that Carey had in Sochi, but a D that is mobile and wont be pushed-around

• Habitant in Surrey says:

Post Script: …yes I do realize it’s unlikely Bergevin will demote/waiver/or release Boullion

…yet, if it’s a decision of the head and not the heart, He should be, in the best interest of the Team for these playoffs

…therefore, unlikely to happen :)

11. wildwilly says:

Hopefully the Tinordi call up means Bouillon and Murray are traded for picks.

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…hard to believe Jonathan Toews, 2 Stanley Cups and 2 Olympic gold medals, is only 25 years old

13. Feraco says:

Rumor pk subban 8yrs 8 million per

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…love PK …My heart as a Fan tells Me let Him make $ 30 million a season for all I care, since I don’t sign the cheques

…My head whispers to Me that Geoffrey may quibble with My heart’s largess

…actually, and more seriously, never mind Geoffrey, My own head screams to Me $ 8 million, at this stage, is close to exceeding His present talent level …but may be a fair value for the value-added of His national popularity and marketing appeal

• Loop_Garoo says:

Those are the same numbers that have been floating around since the fall. I think its pretty much a foregone conclusion that the numbers will be right around there.

Greg

14. GL says:

Rumor, PK, Eller and a 2nd rounder to Buffalo for Moulson And Hodgson … That’s why Tinordi has been brought up.

15. Habcouver says:

I’m happy to see Pricey’s bios now includes his Olympic record: looks impressive!

Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

16. ProHabs says:

Back to hockey with 4th line goons on the team and the odd tussle. Looking forward to the NHL back.

So on the russian forums they are already talking about taking revenge during Canada Cup. Has that been announced and I am living under the rock? Do russians know something we don’t?

18. ths says:

Is Tinordi taking PKs slot on the team ? Will they have to waive PK before they send him down or just sit him until they think they can risk using him and his ‘High Risk Flamboyance’. Or do you think this is Bergy and MT showing they are as smart and perceptive as Babscock and Yserman ?

Ooh Aah Habs on the war path

I always thought Tiny was 6’7″… the article above says 6’6″… Is he shrinking because he joined the Habs? I call it the “DD effect”.

20. Willy the bum says:

I would definitely like to see hockey players outside of NHL who should play the next Winter Olympics; very curious how they should look on the ice. They should definitely be those garage-league players who has the larger-than-life passion for the sport; those working-class athletes spend their whole life on the sport without thinking of a cent on its checks.
    That is something to see, if the Olympics wouldn’t allow NHL players to participate….

21. kempie says:

Just saw this and don’t know what to think. Considering the source, I just don’t know:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 35m
    It’s believed St.Louis did ask #Lightning 4 trade when left off Canada. I’m told some #NHL clubs not sure if he still feels the same way now

22. jimmy shaker says:

Who’s taking over for Stevie Y if the NHL sends it’s players to Korea in 2018? For some reason I think it’s going to be sakic, mess or holland, and Patrick will be involved as well on some level!

Shaker out!

I asked this before but I forgot… what Budaj’s black belt in?

24. Loop_Garoo says:

Probably already been said, but I imagine the end of this year will be similar to last, where Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Pateryn all see a bit of time with the habs. MB will want to see how they look before he decides which free agents to consider, or who is expendable in a trade.

Greg

25. nickster13 says:

as mentioned below, I don’t want NHL players in the Olympics. They are polar opposites of other athletes. Ones who earn peanuts a year to do something they love (on top of whatever full time job they may or may not have) and are respectful of their fellow athletes.

Yes, we love hockey, woop-dee-doo, just have a world cup of hockey and remove the embarrassment of overshadowing the real Olympic heroes.

• habs-hampton says:

I not saying NHL players belong in the Olympics, but there is no way to distinguish pros vs. amateurs anymore. Are you saying Shaun White and Lindsay Vonn don’t belong either, because they make millions a year as well? Where do you draw the line? How about Womans hockey? They play in a pro league.

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

Interesting – are you suggesting that earning big money and the notion of respect cannot co-exist in the same athlete(s) ?
      Also an FYI – it was reported during the Games that US snowboarder Shaun White is worth mega-bucks (millions), presumably from endorsements and appearance fees (?) It would seem improbable he is the only ‘ amateur ‘ athlete in that boat altho, obviously, I am just speculating on this.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• nickster13 says:

Ill answer your 3 parts as best as possible:
        -The olympics has always had fellow respect for athletes with some exceptions. Amateur athletes (unless Chinese in Bejing 2008) are thrilled with Silver, whereas in Hockey, unless you’re a weaker team, silver is nothing.

-Endorsements are okay, you only get those if you’re really good anyways. He had to get good first to get those endorsements, which I think is the key.

-Salaries above a normal person’s salary for playing are not. I’d draw the line there, keeping the female “pros” in the olympics, but not the men.

• NCRhabsfan says:

So wealth is the deciding factor? Are athletes that are wealthy from doing something completely different allowed to play? How wealthy do you have to be before you are persona non grata?

How do you explain to fans forking out thousands of dollars to fly around the world to watch a bunch of guys they never heard of that they have to settle for a much lesser amateur version of the sport. And when it is over, is it satisfying to the players to know that having won Olympic Gold they are about the 400th best team in the world? Not sure that works at all; I think it is actually the death of the Olympics in a modern world.

No one got paid to play in the Olympics; in that sense they are amateurs. Let’s let the best of the best play each other to see who is really the best and leave behind this fairytale notion that somehow having a bunch of amateurs playing would be better. It wouldn’t.

26. ProHabs says:

Another questions as I missed some of the Olympics. Who started in nets for Finland vs. Sweden. Duriing todays game blowhard Glen Healey said that Tukka Rask should have started. I just assumed that he had. WHo did.

27. ProHabs says:

Hey Guys, who carried the flag for Canada in the closing ceremonies today.

28. B says:

I figured that a puck moving dman like Beaulieu who played well his last stretch for the Habs helped make Diaz expendable. I like Tinordi, but I don’t see him as the same type of player. I don’t see much in the way of puck movers on the back end right now beyond Subban and Markov (Gorges, Emelin, Murray, Bouillon, Drewiske and now Tinordi don’t seem to fill that role very well). Perhaps there is something more to be done in the next little while to address this?

–Go Habs Go!–

29. jols says:

Anyone else think there might be a small flurry of trade activity once the freeze ends at midnight. G.M’s must have been bored silly the last 3 weeks, surely a few deals must have been struck ?

• JohnnyCanuckful says:

Geez, you’re not suggesting the fans who got up at 6:30 a.m. to have breakfast before today’s game now stay up past midnight to see if any trades have been made?
      That’s cruel.

• Habilis says:

Anything’s possible. IMO though, I doubt we see anything of significance tonight. Only because there are really just 5 teams in the entire league who are out of the playoff race. That’s a seller’s market. Prices for the big fish like Miller, Vanek, Moulson or even Camalerri will be exorbitantly high right now.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see some small moves though. The dominoes have to start sometime, and the deadline is coming up fast.

30. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

They’ll be remembered as the team that gave up an Olympic record three goals: one lucky redirection that was going a couple of feet wide against Norway, one skilled redirection from the slot against Finland, and a breakaway goal that’s probably 50/50 of getting over Carey’s pad and glove if the bad Sochi ice doesn’t roll it on end for the shooter.

Team Canada was two bounces away from posting 5 shutouts and a GAA of .166 and a SV% of one short of 1.000

31. JohnnyCanuckful says:

The gold medals Team Canada received, do they have chocolate centres?

32. BriPro says:

I’m just coming in late.
    I had PVRd the game today, expecting to sleep in.
    As it was, I turned it on at 7:45 and managed to speed through the commercials, and ended watching it live…. so much publicity.

I have to admit, even without our cherished PK, the D was very impressive, and I’m pleased that Carey was selected 1st goalie of the games.

But for me, one of the most impressive stories coming from these games was of Antonio Pardo, at 43 years young, the first Venezuelan to compete in Alpine skiing.

He had to create a national ski federation in his country just so he could race in Sochi. He didn’t finish his run, and came in last.

But RDS reported that all of the downhill skiiers met up with him (not sure where), to congratulate him as a group.

I love the Olympics. It brings out the best in people. Even those who don’t reach the podium. If only the entire world……

33. dhenry1234 says:

Is Beaulieu getting called up too, or is he staying in Hamilton?

• Willy the bum says:

I think he had that chance before the Olympics, and now’s it’s Tinordi’s turn. I’ll bet the team’s calling up to boost their NHL experience.

• CJ says:

Just Tinordi right now. IMO, it’s only a matter of time before both are in the lineup at the same time. Depending on what transpires over the next two weeks, you might see it as soon as next month. I don’t think both will play, at the same time, before the trade deadline. Injuries aside.

34. monmick is Canadian says:

Does anyone know whether John Paddock is with the Team Canada staff? I could swear I saw him sitting next to Stevie Y when they were showing the Team Canada big wigs after goals and wins, but I can’t see him listed anywhere.

Maybe it’s just someone that looks like him…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Did you by chance think former Oiler coach Krueger was Paddock? Speaking of which wonder if Doug MacLean will apologize for his ripping of Krueger. Evidently Canada was more than prepared for the big ice.

• monmick is Canadian says:

I don’t think so; I did see Krueger walking around the box on occasion. Maybe I’m just getting old.

Speaking of which, seems like Kevin Lowe has really aged in the last couple of years, which isn’t surprising under the circumstances…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• D Mex-iCanadian says:

It surprised me to see Kreuger given a coaching role with Team Canada after being replaced in Edmonton. I see the ref to preparation for big ice – can you expand a bit on this ?

ALWAYS Habs -
        D Mex

35. Willy the bum says:

Also, great on Price & Subban on getting the Gold. Price deserved it with the amazing team in front of him, and Subban for playing just one preliminary game then chillin’ throughout the whole tournament like a vacation… :)

36. Willy the bum says:

Congrats on the Hockey Canada Men’s and Women’s, and all the athletes that participate in this year’s Olympic Games. They deserve at least the recognition for their presence and hope most of them will come back for the next in four years.

37. GL says:

I’m still concern with the Habs up front. We are still missing a couple of good scores to keep us in a game at any given time.
    The back end . Not concern with them at all and we have a couple of good ones at the AHL level more than I can say for forwards. Maybe a couple of 4th liners. That isn’t going to help us …

38. Chris says:

Wow…1/3 of Canada’s athletes won a medal? Obviously the two hockey teams and the curling teams helps buffer those numbers, but that is still all kinds of impressive!

39. Denjen says:

I watched a Bulldogs -Marlies game shortly before the Olympic Games. Beaulieu was the only player that stood out to me and created opportunities for the team when he was on the ice. The game was close with not much happening but when Beaulieu had the puck the Dogs were getting shots and breaking the offensive zone.One PP in particular stood out for me, the second unit came out first and could get nothing done, Beaulieu came off the bench and went end to end twice and quarter backed beautifully! By far he was the best player on both sides and is farthest along in progression as far as Habs prospects are concerned IMO

40. Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

Insomuch as I’m enjoying the today’s reads regarding Team Canada and Pricey, I hope MT is gearing our boys up for Wednesday’s tilt with the Wings and reminding them of the 4-1 loss in January.

Proudly Canadian but strictly Canadien!

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yo…definitely not a good idea to dismiss the Wings as an old/broken down shell of it’s former self…that’s when they can bite you in the arsiento…love it when they have done it to certain teams multiple times in the recent past (Nyucks being the first to come to mind)

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yo…definitely not a good idea to dismiss the Wings team as an old/broken down shell of it’s former self…that’s when they can bite you in the arsiento…love it when they have done it to certain teams multiple times in the recent past (Nyucks being the first to come to mind)

• Habilis says:

Agreed. I’m sure I’m not alone in this, the Habs have completely fallen off my radar. Just looking at the standings again tonight. We need wins.

Back to back right away too. I imagine that Budaj will start the Wednesday game, giving Carey the extra day to recoup.

Pens on Thursday, then Saturday it’s the Loafs. After that we run the California gauntlet. Fun.

41. ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

Terrific ending to the golf right now. 23rd hole of final match.
    Jason Day a putt to win
    “man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
    Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• CJ says:

Watched a decent amount this week. Best golf I’ve seen Fowler play over a sustained period of time.

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

Fowler was good, for sure. Day will have a break out year I think. I like him for the Masters. Those up-and-downs by Dubuisson in extra holes were out of this World good

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
        Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

42. jols says:

Heads up to any other Amazing Race fans, a new season starts tonight at 8 bells. An all-star season, whatever that means. lol.

43. Chris says:

Oh dear, yet another reason for some here to rail against Bob Gainey…

Gainey’s daughter Anna was elected as president of the Liberal Party of Canada today. She’s a very close ally of Justin Trudeau.

Who knew that the Montreal Canadiens were such a den of “Lieberals” or “Fiberals” or whatever people call them: Gainey, Mahovlich, Dryden, Savard… :)

• D Man says:

Huh?

You can’t be both a Habs and a Leafs fan

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Dit-toe

• Chris says:

Making a lame joke towards some of the posters here who like to use “Liberal” as an epithet in hockey conversations. On a more serious note, those 1970′s teams seemed to feature some pretty serious brain power on top of their skill. A lot have impressive resumes after their playing days.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

Yes, and I wonder if there were others within the fold who flew under radar/did not receive any recognition for brainpower gifted ness.

• frontenac1 says:

Good for Anna! And good for Justin.! I think it’s time to turn the Country over to the younger generation.My generation is Damn stale. Time for a change. Saludos!

• 24 Cups says:

Harper dreams about being the next Putin. Time for a regime change in Canada. We have nothing to lose by doing so.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Heck, I won’t hold that against her dad. Somebody’s got to help raise the LPC from the dust heap so they can get their hands back in the piggy bank or godhelpus, we may have to be ruled by the ultra evil, baby killing, blood drinking, unchained animal that is … shudder … Stephen Harper … forever. You know sort of like how Justin’s dad did it. :D

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

There will be no railing against BG since he decided, against advice I’ve heard, to select Carey 8 years ago.
      For the record I am NOT a Liberal supporter

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
      Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• gmur says:

Selecting Price and standing by him ALMOST absolves Gainey of the Great Alaskan Gomez Caper…

• ABHabsfanisCanadianbuthatesdrinkingCanadian says:

agree, he is still below water overall. Add to that the David Fischer fiasco…

“man, I love winnin’; you know, it’s like better than losin’?”-
          Ebby Calvin “Nuke” Laloosh

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

David Fischer’s story could have turned out differently. Unfortunately for David and a few other highly touted picks that wound up playing for the MN Gophers, it turned out to be a few years of atrocious coaching from a program that was accustomed to churning out numerous NHL players. By the time coaching changes were made and the ship had righted for the University of Minnesota, the damage to Fischer and other picks was done. Anyway – posters often bring up the fact we could have selected Giroux versus Fischer, but the majority of 1st round selections after the top five that year were mediocre. I do recall we took Ben Maxwell in the 2nd round, where Lucic was the very next pick.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

I don’t think being a liberal on this site is a problem. Had she joined the Conservative party I can only imagine the well written articles against. This site seems to love to bleed red.

• Chris says:

True enough. I think all the parties are ridiculous, as they all squelch politicians from effectively representing their constituents in favour of toeing the party line. I’d happily fire them all into the Sun. :)

44. Rugger says:

One of the highlights of today’s game for me was seeing Jean Claude Killy handing out the medals. He was such a great skier. Does anyone else remember his TV series, taking on the best skiers of the world in head to head slalom races. I think it was on Sunday afternoons.

45. CJ says:

In the response to those commenting on the length of Olympic hockey games, I also didn’t see a signal instance of a ref tossing a player in the face off circle for some unforeseen false start. I remember the ref having the face off replayed, but can’t recall centre men getting tossed. Maybe I missed it though.

It’s really that easy…. Just drop the puck!

• Chris says:

There were centres tossed, but usually for movement among the wingers. Didn’t see too many of the dawdling faceoffs that plague the NHL, where the linesman has to be the centre of attention for 30 seconds.

• CJ says:

Strange. It’s not an issue on the world’s biggest stage, yet if it’s Montreal against the Devils on a Tuesday night in January it adds an extra 5-10 minutes.

The league needs to get a hold on this issue. It’s so destructive to the fan experience.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

As Bobby Clarke said, “Nobody here paid to see you drop the puck!”

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

• Habcouver BLEEDS MAPLE SYRUP says:

CJ, I’m certain that “drop the puck” nonsense by the officials adds 15-20 minutes per game.

I didn’t see anything wrong with kicking puck back during face offs… it’s an old Olympic rule huh.

Proudly Enjoying the Gold-ment!

46. CJ says:

Sorry, failed to note, my father also says that there will be RFA offer sheets this summer. He bases this on the significant salary cap jump (from $64 to $71 million, with an anticipated jump the following year after the new tv deal gets accrued), the very weak UFA class and the new playoff format.

Anyway, time will tell, but he made a compelling case. I have likely missed some finer points, which I often do, but historically he is almost always right on point, so I’ll wait and see.

47. Prop Is Canadian says:

Stubbs think this could just be a precaution in case Subban gets a case of jet lag.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

48. Chris says:

I am torn…on one hand, NHL players in the Olympics is nice exposure for the game. On the other hand, NHL players in the Olympics tends to completely overshadow most of the other sports.

One of the Canadian players put it well: he expressed exasperation that the Canadian media seemed more enthralled with morning skates by Team Canada (which happen 8 million times per season, give or take 8 million) than the Olympics going on around them.

Brian Stemmle expressed frustration on Twitter that the Stanley Cup was at Canada House, asking what the heck that had to do with the Olympics. While I think bring the Stanley Cup to Russian fans, who have a rich hockey tradition of their own, was a good move, I can see where he is coming from. Olympic athletes get a chance to shine once every four years…the rest of the time, the North American media pays very little to no attention to them. (You usually have to dig to find World Cup results, for example….Canadian media don’t often report them unless a Canadian wins.)

Now, even their big moment is being somewhat overshadowed by Canada’s growing obsession for hockey. The media coverage this year was all hockey, all the time. I couldn’t be more thankful for the internet, as the web broadcasting of all the events this year prevented me from losing my mind at not being able to watch the other events live, as I have often done in the past.

The hockey tournament helps generate money so that the rest of the sports can get paid for. So there is an obvious pro to those events. But I would be very curious to see how the current HI/O vote would go if it were limited only to Canadian Olympic athletes, past and present.

I think the NHL is serious about not going to Pyeongchang in 2018. The creation of a new World Cup of Hockey will signal that pretty strongly, and I suspect we’re going to hear the details of that this summer.

If that happens, the NHL will not want the World Cup of Hockey overshadowed by the Olympics in the same way that FIFA does not let the World Cup get overshadowed by the Olympics. FIFA’s solution was to make the Olympic tournament an U-23 tournament, as most players don’t make their national team until after that age (with the exception of the superstars).

That wouldn’t work in hockey, where players are usually firmly entrenched on NHL teams by age 23. The natural choice would be U-20, but that is the World Juniors and Canadians would never agree to that tournament only occurring every four years. U-18, a tournament that doesn’t garner as much attention might be interesting, but I suspect it wouldn’t appeal to Olympic organizers. Hard call.

• Ktowner says:

If the Olympics are for the best athletes in each sport/discipline and if the best hockey players play in the NHL it only seems reasonable that the NHL should send their players to their respective national teams.
      I have already made my point about Garth Snow and his unsuitability as a hockey guy so his opinion means nothing to me. Losing Tavares to a season ending injury affects his team but isn’t there an insurance policy that softens the blow?
      The exposure the NHL gets at the Olympics is something that can’t be duplicated so the overall benefit far outweighs the negatives.

• Chris says:

The NHL argues that the exposure has not translated into any growth in the game internationally, which was the primary goal of letting the NHL players go. That is debatable, when you see the performance of a country like Slovenia, who weren’t really on the map in recent years, Denmark or Austria.

Tavares’ contract is insured, but what if he doesn’t return to 100% for the Islanders. Their franchise player had his knee torn up, and that could have long-term ramnifications. They might finish in last overall again. ;)

Ultimately, it comes down to money. The NHL doesn’t get much, if any, from the IOC, so they are not happy. A World Cup, on the other hand, would be split between NHL owners and the IIHF…the owners will be singing a different tune about international hockey in that case.

I think they are basically playing a control game: the NHL wants to earn even more money. If the IOC won’t cave in (and they won’t), then the NHL will take its ball and bat and make a new tournament.

• Ktowner says:

Perhaps I am an idealist. The money thing gets in the way of far too many aspects of sport and if the NHL is only interested in their financial return then the participation of NHL players in the Olympics is over. It was a great run for all countries that had NHL players come and play it really was the best versus the best.

• AndyF says:

Well, who’s to say that the best team isn’t one that has players who have committed to playing together all year long, for 4 years? Hockey is a team sport, the last time I checked.

I, for one, will be happy to not have those cigar-smoking millionaires hog the spotlight from athletes who earn $14k a year, and who have 8 minutes of fame every 4 years.

And for what it’s worth, I’m a Habs fan who enjoys the game as much as anyone else. I’d prefer those players get some rest and improve our Cup chances. But in my day job, I work with elite amateurs who bust their asses for no money to wear the Maple Leaf in international competition.

• dhenry1234 says:

There wouldn’t be any rest. NHL schedule would resume as normal. One of the reasons that the Players might not go to the next Olympics is because of pressure put on by the Owners.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Hockey is to Canada what speedakating is to the Dutch. It’s what we do.

49. frontenac1 says:

Tinordi will be groomed to take Crankshafts place. He will learn how to clear the paint, crush bodies and drop the mitts when called for. Crankshaft will show him how. He’s got the experience. He is NOT Nate! Nate will take Markov”s or Josh”s spot in the future.

• dr. schmutzdeker says:

I know that we’re talking about 2 different human beans (sp) but, lately I’ve seen glimpses of another guy’s style of play (in Jarrod) That guy is his dear ol’ dad, Mark Tinordi. We should not expect a clone, however, once Jarod adds another 15 ibs of beef to that (still) lanky frame, I suspect we’ll see a little more of Mark. Playing a simple game and not necessarily looking for trouble…but if it came his way, more than happy to respond in kind. Just ask some of the other uber toughies from the 80′s. (Clark, Wilson, McSorley etc) Mt took no crappola from anyone.

• HabinBurlington is Canadian says:

Agree, glad Tinordi got the call.

50. jols says:

Had to have an afternoon nap. Good to get back into Habs discussions.

I think after the trade deadline, both Tinordi and Beaulieu will be full-time Habs. I think they are both ready. Nothing is accomplished by leaving them in Hamilton any longer. I actually think the Habs D would be better with them. It also allows Bergevin to move a veteran D and a grinder like Moen for some much needed help in our top 6. ( A big, rugged power forward RW that can score a few goals would be nice.)

51. Sportfan says:

I love how this call up is freaking people out.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

52. CJ says:

Just enjoyed a wonderful dinner with my parents, who came back to visit this afternoon. Lobster tails and prime rib…. Devine.

My father is always a great person to speak with, especially on the subject of the Canadiens. The kind of guy who has forgotten more about hockey then I’d ever hope to know, yet is very humble and respectful in conversation. The kind of person I try to emulate. I digress…..

We both see Tinordi’s promotion as insurance against PK being ready for Wednesday night. However, make no mistake, there are changes ahead. I know I’ve beaten this to death, but the Markov decision is looming. Either we need to get him under contract, or ship him out. To those who worry we are throwing the season away, I’d respectfully suggest we can be better, if only by committee. This Olympic Games should solidify this thinking. You can shut down one person (Karlsson), but you can’t shut down a cohesive six man unit. I really like the General, but it’s two years or pack your bags. I would have loved Ryan Clowe, but I linked a story last week where the Canadiens gave him a similar take it or leave it offer.

The next 10 games will define our season. Price, as brilliant as he has been, will face a new challenge behind a much different defence corps.

Although I am cautiously optimistic that we can go 4-4-2 over this very tough stretch, an extended losing streak will have us on the outside looking in.

I’ll cut it off there. I’m rambling, following the wine and self worth of good food bad better company.

53. Rugger says:

On the poll question, if it had been PK, Plex, Patches or Price out for the year instead of Tavares would you still say yes?

54. Sportfan says:

Interesting Call-up he was one of the only good things at the Dogs game

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

55. nek25plus says:

If they trade PK…I’m done!

56. CH Marshall says:

oooof starting to feel tired…

57. Un Canadien errant says:

Well, this post from four minutes ago just got superseded by current events and newer threads:

I do think he’s a solid piece to build on, a 200% version of Josh Gorges, but evidently he’s not progressing as fast as we hoped. With his struggles earlier this season, when he was near-invisible, I wouldn’t be too keen to rush him to the bigs. Let him dominate in the AHL, and not just for a couple of weeks, before we shoe-horn him into our roster. Let’s keep focused on the long-term here.

But if he’s coming up, I guess one of the d-men will have to be sent down, and of course we’re talking about Davis Drewiske. He’ll sail through waivers, and his cap hit will be buried. Or, he’ll get picked up by another team, and his cap hit will be off our books. So no harm done, despite what the Chicken Littles squawked.

As far as Nathan Beaulieu, while I agree he showed us some good things during his callup, I’m all for leaving him in the minors to work on his game. I don’t think it’s healthy for him to be rewarded with a promotion to the bigs and living the jet set life when he still has a lot of growing up to do. A non-negotiable point for him should be that next fall, when he reports to training camp, he does so in decent shape, for crying out loud. He’s had two seasons of showing up to camp in poor physical condition. That’s a non-starter.

Nathan has a lot of talent, he has moves and skating and good offensive sense, now he needs to become a pro, and that starts with his summer conditioning. I will sacrifice a couple of wins this year for the long-term benefit of a Nathan Beaulieu with his head screwed on straight.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Maritime Ronn says:

And what specific evidence do you have, as of this day, that Beaulieu still needs to grow up?

Please provide recent proof to your allegations, or is this based on heresay and your own prejudices based on some past historical events that you personally judged so terrible from your thrown?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Click on the link I provided Ronn. There’s that, and also that he comes into camp out of shape. Two years in a row. For a coach’s son, that’s not very mature.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Ancient history in the hockey world my dear friend.
          Things and people…especially young people, can change in a heartbeat.
          See the Chris Chelios story for one….but you know that, right?

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris Chelios had some off-ice issues, and I ran into him a couple of times at the Peel Pub or on Crescent, so I know of some of them. You could never fault his work habits though, or performance on the ice or effort.

Let’s compare him to Ric Natress. He had a marijuana incident early in his career, which was a huge deal back then, and he ended up being suspended for 30 games. The thing is, while Ric was known as a bit of a free spirit and good time boy, he kept his nose clean the rest of his career, and he was never faulted for his conditioning or on-ice performance, he always worked hard and gave everything he had.

• frontenac1 says:

Off ice issues? Getting in a punch up at a team party? Are you kidding? It”s not like boning team mates wives, like some Habs did in the past.

• Ron says:

Normand, your going back a couple years on actions Nate may have commited. Where is there any proof in this season where he is not mature enough or is a problem off the ice ? I don’t think the article you had on your blog in July past has any bearing on this season. All the so called facts were from his draft year, his poor choice with the assualt long past etc. Please enlighten me.

• Un Canadien errant says:

What has a lot of bearing on this season is that he showed up to camp this year out of shape, and played mediocre hockey for half the season.

Look, if you’re looking for the latest dirt on him, I don’t have sources like the Confirmed Kid, but to me, this season he had a chance to turn over a new leaf, and he hasn’t really.

I still think that Nathan has a lot of natural ability, and he’s coasted on that for a long time. He hasn’t shown yet that he has added a lot of good work habits to his skillset.

• Ron says:

Does he not train during the season well enough, if he comes to camp next season out of shape do you say dump him ? No, I don’t think he has shown any lack of compete in any games I have watched on the net or on tv. I think all the Dogs went through a bad time where most all looked bad early in the season. If his last stint with the bigs has shown anything it is he is ready to learn from the Markov’s on the team before they are gone. Let him learn now.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Ron, I never say to ‘dump’ a prospect or young player, I’ve been consistent in my posts on this. If he doesn’t show up in shape next season, Marc Bergevin’s patience will be exercised, and they’ll have to figure out what to do, how to crack the whip. But of course you don’t “dump him”.

• Ron says:

I just don’t see where Nate doesn’t have his head screwed on straight as you said above. I guess were going to have to just disagree on this one. No harm lost at all, just two different opinions on a player.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Your dislike of Beaulieu has been evident for a long time.
          It is also irrelevant, as only the Habs people count and know for sure.
          As for his play on the ice, his recent showing has proved to many that he is close to being ready to assume a big role.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Irrelevant? Pretty harsh. If my interpretation of the facts doesn’t concord with yours, that doesn’t make my posts irrelevant.

In a way you’re right that only the Canadiens’ management’s opinion is the one that matters, but in another manner, if that’s so, then HIO might as well be shuttered.

• goaliehabsfan says:

What are you basing his fitness levels on besides the picture of him on the treadmill?

The fact that he doesn’t look “ripped” in that picture is by no means evidence of him showing up out of shape. Probably unfair to jump to conclusions like that, seeing as the reason he is on the treadmill in that picture is to get a more accurate estimate of his fitness than how he looks with his shirt off.

Also I believe he had some shoulder issues leading up to training camp, which could limit his training due to rehab, particularly upper body training, which would explain his appearance.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Click on the link I provide in the original post, it’s a post that I made on here this summer. The treadmill picture and reports from his first camp were not flattering. This season’s camp, there was the skating test where he showed poorly next to Greg Pateryn, and also reports from observers at camp.

I understand, again, the instinct Canadiens fans have to stick up for their players and prospects, but this is a fact that can’t be argued. Nathan Beaulieu came into camp out of shape two years in a row.

• Habfan17 says:

I agree, I have known some people in great cardio shape in their early twenties that still had some “baby fat”

Habfan17

• goaliehabsfan says:

I went through your article and didn’t see any reports about any fitness measures. Who were the reports from and who were the observers? The average journalist does not have much knowledge in fitness, so if you’re relying on their observations about who is fit and who isn’t, I wouldn’t consider that to be reliable.

I don’t recall hearing anything about him being out of shape in camp that came from the team. That doesn’t mean that he is or isn’t, but I would definitely stop short of saying that it is a fact that can’t be argued.

• monmick is Canadian says:

Beaulieu injured a shoulder on the second day of training camp (Sept 13 – hit by Hudon) and, as a result, missed most of it. If that’s what you mean by “coming to camp out of shape”, then I say that is being unfair. That is certainly the first I hear of it. What I did hear, however, is that he was clearly head and shoulders above everyone else at the rookie camp in the summer.

Is it possible that your strong feelings regarding the assault charges (which are justifiable) are clouding your judgment?

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• JUST ME says:

Although Beaulieu needs to work on the defensive side of his game he is still in the top 4 in MTL as is. Tinordi needed much more work on his consistency and involvement wich he improved a lot on with the big minutes he got in Hamilton. Still i do not understand why he was called up if not to fill in for soon to be announced traded player.

If not let`s just hope that he gets to play big minutes in MTL too.

58. Maritime Ronn says:

Even for those that dislike the business of hockey and the CBA, if Tinordi is called up, the Habs are over the roster limit.
    If Bournival is placed on IR or LTIR, the habs will still be 1 man over the max limit of 23.

Someone has to go by either trade or waivers

• BJ says:

Parros on waivers maybe?

• johnnylarue says:

Ronn, is that counting Beaulieu as a Bulldog or a Hab?

• Chris says:

21 players, with Bournival, Galchenyuk, Drewiske and Moen on the IR. Galchenyuk and Moen are due back imminently, Drewiske will go to Hamilton. Bournival is going to be on the shelf for a while with his concussion, I suspect.

• Ron says:

If the trade line date is Mar 5 then the 23 man roster limit is no loner in effect after that. So maybe their giving JT a look and sending someone down till that date. Maybe Prust is banged up more than is being noted and he goes on IR.

• kempie says:

Surely Drewiske will qualify for a conditioning assignment in Hamilton after being out for so long. That should buy almost enough time to get them close to the trade deadline.

• Chris says:

I suspect they might just send him down outright. He doesn’t have a future with Montreal anymore, so I could also see them dealing him in a minor deal at the deadline to a team that needs a warm body on defence.

• Ron says:

They could send down Bo to help out with the kids. I know this may be a bit of a slap but maybe he would be acceptable to it.

• Chris says:

I can’t see them doing that to Bouillon. He and Therrien have an excellent relationship, and I suspect Bouillon wants to finish his career in Montreal, not Hamilton. I can’t see them demoting him to the AHL with only 2-3 months left in his career.

• Ron says:

Short term until the roster limit increases after the trade dead line as a player coach with his permission. Being a great friend of MT he might be talked into it. It does look like Drew though.

• monmick is Canadian says:

@Chris You would think so, but they already let him hang(i.e. Did not re-sign him) once after rushing him back in the playoffs with a bad shoulder (albeit under a different regime)…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habfan17 says:

I do not know that I would go that far. Boullion and Murray will be gone next season so the Habs will need a 6th/7th defenceman. He came to the Habs with a bad shoulder now, it is repaired. I think he will be given a chance to prove he belongs.

Habfan17

• Chris says:

I think the Habs are really going to look hard at all three of Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn for next season. But perhaps he could be kept as a 7th defenceman.

The Kings traded him because they wanted him to get a shot somewhere, and it wasn’t going to happen in LA. I don’t think he’s good enough for Montreal if they want to contend, so that was the reasoning behind letting him go to another team.

• Habfan17 says:

I would not go that far. Next season, Boullion and Murray will be gone. Drewiskie arrived with a bad shoulder, so I think now that it is fixed, hey will give him a chance to prove himself.

Habfan17

59. JF says:

So what do we all think of the big ice now? Before the Olympics, I was under the impression it would favour the skilled offensive players. I thought play would be more open, there would be more room on the ice, more scoring chances, and probably more goals. Instead, the very reverse happened. Most teams played a stifling defensive system, controlling the centre of the ice and keeping play to the outside. And there is so much room between the net and the side boards on the big ice that you can cycle the puck endlessly up and down the boards and in the corners without creating the ghost of a scoring chance. Apart from a few blowouts of weak teams, the games were low-scoring and tight defensively. In fact, of the strong teams, the two that played a more open, offensively-oriented type of game, the US and Russia, couldn’t handle the good defensive teams.

But it seems to me we make this mistake every Olympics, whether the games are played on big ice or small. We expect to see wide-open hockey with lots of goals. We get a bit of that in the preliminary round, but when the games really count, defence is tight and scoring low.

• Habfan10912 says:

You’re right Jane. Big ice isn’t the answer for a more wide open fame. In fact I’m wonder if it would make matters worse.

• Cal says:

The style of game we all saw demonstrated how unnecessary it would be to widen the rinks. It makes no difference and I would say the NHL rinks have better end zones despite the trapezoid.
      The main problem with the NHL game is how the league how’s poor officiating and utter disregard of the rule book makes for a scenario in which garbage hockey can win.

For any who missed it and want to click over to my site, a little tribute to Carey: http://calshabsongparodies.weebly.com

• JF says:

You’re certainly right about poor officiating and disregard for the rule book. One of the things I appreciated most about the hockey we’ve been watching for the last two weeks was the complete absence of stupid fights, goonery, and after-the-whistle garbage.

• johnnylarue says:

I’ll plus one that.

I think a healthy dose of hatred can be good for a hockey game, but a lot of the BS that happens after the whistle in NHL games is just pointless, going-through-the-motions chest-beating and boy does it ever get tiresome.

• Chris says:

Agreed. Games were over in about 2 hours. It was glorious.

Start handing out 10-minute misconduct penalties for all the face-wash nonsense after every whistle. It is simply pointless. To the purists, the 10 minute misconduct would keep them happy because there wouldn’t be a rash of power plays. Losing players for that length of time would be a good deterrent. But if you’re going to do it, you have to hand out more penalties for guys that are slashing at the goalies after the whistle.

• kempie says:

But…but fighting is an integral part of the game that cannot be removed!

Now seems like a good time to point out how utterly stupid those arguments are. We watched the best players in the cosmos play some extremely fast entertaining hockey – and not one fight. No line brawls – barely even any post-whistle shoving and a few half-hearted face washes.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I fell for it, I was expecting more wide-open games. Perversely, the prospect of all that offensive talent grouped together flying around on the bigger ice probably caused all the teams to promote a hermetic style of hockey.

Looking forward, despite the retrograde thinking that goes on at NHL head offices, there will be no choice but to increase the size of the playing surface, since what used to be a huge sheet of ice patrolled by much smaller, slower men is now a much too constricting. Bigger ice in the NHL is inevitable, despite Don Cherry. He’ll just make things stall for another decade or so.

The thing is, international-sized rinks will only be one solution to the New Dead-Puck Era, rather than the silver bullet some of us thought it might be.

• JF says:

Chris had a long post on the other thread about the New Dead-Puck era, but it seems to me there aren’t a lot of solutions. One thing that would help would be to call the rules as they’re written. The officials overlook a lot of obstruction, interference, and other crap that slows the game down.

• johnnylarue says:

After all is said and done, I still think making the nets bigger is the way to go.

Ignoring the fact that goaltending technique has evolved considerably since the early 80s, I think compensating for the fact that the average goalie is now probably six inches taller than they were when God created the hockey net is a start, at the very least.

• Chris says:

I think you will see them move to slightly taller nets (maybe a couple of inches) and continue to experiment with the vertical posts flaring out as they go up.

I don’t see them simply widening the net, as that would be a fairly big adjustment for the goalies, many of whom push off the posts when they move across the crease. Changing the dimensions down low for guys with that many years of muscle memory might be too big an adjustment.

Sadly, I didn’t think there was all that much hooking and holding in the neutral zone in this tournament. Instead, it just seems like every player on the ice is totally committed to defense and keeping their energy up through short shifts. That means a lot of dumping the puck in while you change, forcing people to try skating through fresh defenders every time.

• johnnylarue says:

These Olympics were definitely disillusioning in that sense.

I wasn’t expecting all of the lesser hockey powers to resort to “spamming” (video game term!) with the five-man-collapse and simply playing not to lose–in fact, I hadn’t even considered that to be possible on the big ice. It turns out boring defensive systems are a much bigger hindrance to goal scoring than the size of the playing area.

That said, even with the Olympics’ culture of reduced hitting, I do feel like the larger ice surface made for a marginally “safer” game for the players (for what that’s worth.) And moving the blue lines back a few feet might also help to open up things up a bit… maybe.

Gotta agree though, I’m a lot more “meh” than “yeah!” on the subject of big ice than I was two weeks ago.

• Wintercount says:

I like the bigger ice, but 5′ wider and 6′ longer. Will not happen in our lifetime therefore I propose the league adopt the BMI index.

Categories.
      Goaltenders – 16 – 18.5 bmi = underweight and very skinny.
      Defense – 30 – 35 bmi = moderatly obese.
      Forwards – 18.5 – 25 bmi = top shape.

60. Danno says:

I like it.

Habs are getting bigger and tougher a little bit at a time.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. formerly known as the hc says:

Remember one important thing here: The CBA allows only so many contracts, so many roster spots, etc. Movement is not easy in today’s NHL, and there are quite a few guys on this roster that I can’t see other teams knocking down the door to get at. So, until we have a rash of injuries again, guys like Beaulieu etc may need to stay in the minors until there is room for them. I am guessing that they liked what they saw from Beaulieu and now want to see if Tinordi is ready. At present, there is no room on the roster for both NB and JT on the big club at the same time. No doubt these call ups will help MB decide what to do when Frankie Bu’s and Murray’s contracts end this summer.

62. Hobie Hansen says:

Dream situation…

Habs trade Markov for a 1st round pick on March 5th. Tinordi stays up and then Beaulieu is called up as soon as Markov is gone. The team possibly takes a small step back for the remainder of the season but maybe not…

In the off season the Habs sign Girardi who’s a free agent with the NYR.

2014/15 defence: Subban, Girardi, Gorges, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn.

Carey Price would finally have a good defence in front of him, IMO!

Talent, size and mobility!!

63. johnnylarue says:

Huh!

All that spilled pixel-ink over a simple call-up?

I still don’t get it. I love Tiny, and I agree that he’s ostensibly an upgrade on Murray (even if the big lug has been playing well of late), but Beaulieu 2014® was looking like an absolute lock to stay in the lineup for the rest of the season. His wheels and puck-carrying ability give the Habs some much-needed options when it comes to gaining the blue line without resorting to the dreaded, ineffectual dump and chase.

Heck, even the Leafs-worshipping doorknobs on HNIC were heaping praise on the kid before the Olympic break!

64. BJ says:

Carried over from the last blog. Is Markov still with us at the trade deadline? And when does the trading market open up again, anyone know?

• Chris says:

Roster freeze ends tonight. Trade deadline is March 5th, so I suspect you will see some deals this week. Teams have been looking to add the impact players earlier than the deadline the past few years.

I don’t see the Habs trading Markov unless they think they have no shot in the playoffs. They are more likely to be buyers than sellers.

• Habfan17 says:

Even if Bergevin thinks they may make the playoffs, I can see him trading Markov if the price is right. He could still resign him in the summer if he wanted to.

Habfan17

• johnnylarue says:

If Bergevin can find a way to land us a bona fide number 2 defenseman for next season and beyond, Markov becomes expendable. (I wouldn’t hold my breath, personally.)

Otherwise, I believe we’re stuck with General Grumpy for at least another season out of necessity, for better or worse.

Trades reopen at midnight tonight, I believe.

65. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

has to be a trade related move….

OR

an emergency “better person” intervention

HIO crew will ask Michael Therrien about it tomorrow and report… right?

Ok, so

Subban-Gorges
    Markov-Emelin
    Murray-Tiny??? That will be the least mobile dmen pair ever

I am very interested in knowing the status of Davis Drewiske… the other DD. I assume he’s got a lock on a 5th or 6th dmen spot.

69. Habfan10912 says:

Like Ben, I’m confused about this as well. Certainly, Nathan’s play on the ice during his recent stay warranted him being called back up.

Would love to hear from Habfab and Maritime if there is a cap or other business reason for this.

70. commandant says:

Strange its not Beaulieu IMO.

Tinordi has improved his own play though, not sure he’s ahead of Beaulieu (the two are very different players), but Tinordi is ahead of where he was earlier in the year.

71. DoopsyDiddler says:

This is good news as it means he’s doing well, but I would have thought Beaulieu was a regular from here on in.

72. habsguru IS CANADIAN - is Babcock? says:

Silver…… too soon?

73. topher5468 says:

First,
    2ND CONGRATS TO THE CANADIANS

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

74. Chris says:

That would be nice, because it would mean Tinordi was allowed to play his natural side. That pairing could be a reboot of Komisarek-Markov from years ago.

As we have learned from Babcock it’s all about the natural side, isn’t it?

76. BJ says:

I think it was his McGill lucky tie.

77. Chris says:

I’m not holding my breath. Therrien is too risk-averse. The best part of that pair is that Subban is actually a good enough defender that he can cover for Tinordi at times.

Instead, they will probably put him with Murray, playing his off-side. Hamilton fans…what side does Tinordi play with the Bulldogs?

78. Chris says:

Ugh. So he will of course be thrown back to the right in Montreal. :)

79. BJ says:

They did the same with Beaulieu as he normally plays the left side. maybe its a ploy to confuse Babcock on Wednesday?

80. AliHaba says:

Hindsight is 20/20. Perhaps in 20 years we’ll be saying the names of Subban, Markov, Emelin, Gorges, Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Pacioretty, Desharnais in the same breath as those that you listed.

81. CJ says:

Good point Scottland. I have always said that Karlsson reminds me most of Coffey.

82. Sportfan says:

Ah grade 4, by that point I was the tallest kid in my whole elementary school, not one kid in grade six was taller than me. It was really funny, I’m 6’4 now should have played hockey more as a kid apparently height is in demand :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!