Habs call up Beaulieu, Nattinen from Hamilton

The Canadiens announced on Friday morning that they have called up defenceman Nathan Beaulieu (photo above) and forward Joonas Nattinen from the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

In 32 games with the Bulldogs this season, the 6-foot-2, 194-pound Beaulieu has 4-10-14 totals and 21 penalty minutes. The 21-year-old, who was the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick in 2011 (17th overall), played five games with the Habs earlier this season, recording one assist.

Nattinen, a 6-foot-3, 192-pounder, has spent all season in Hamilton, posting 5-6-11 totals and 12 penalty minutes in 37 games. The 23-year-old Finn was selected by the Canadiens in the third round (65th overall) at the 2009 NHL entry draft.

Defenceman Raphael Diaz and forward Lars Eller, both suffering from the flu, missed practice Friday afternoon in Toronto as the Canadiens prepare to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Defenceman Douglas Murray also skipped practice, taking a therapy day.

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed that Beaulieu and Nattinen will both play Saturday night and that Carey Price will start in goal. No official decision has been made on who won’t dress to make room for Beaulieu and Nattinen.

Tweeted Bulldogs play-by-play announcer Derek Wills after the callups from Hamilton were announced:

“Nattinen is big and strong, a good skater and a smart player. … While Nattinen has been playing on the 4th line with Courtnal & Fournier, the 4th line gets a lot of ice time. … Nattinen is a regular on penalty kill, which has gone 25 for the last 26. Good player, good prospect.”

As for Beaulieu, Wills tweeted: “Fresh-off his first-ever “Gordie Howe Hat Trick” (Beaulieu) has been heating-up with 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in last 5 games.”

Nattinen told reporters in Toronto after practice that he wants to bring speed, size and a good defensive game to the Canadiens.

“Hopefully, I’ll also be able to create some offense,” he added. “The last eight games in Hamilton, we won seven. Things are going really well right now. Making the playoffs is a big goal for us, and hopefully the boys can keep it going.”

Said Beaulieu: “You try to stay current with everything going on (with the Canadiens), while hoping that something is going to happen. You never know. It was great news for me. I have to take advantage of these kinds of opportunities. This one is really important to me. Things are going really well for the Bulldogs. With team success comes success at the individual level. I have to give a lot of credit to my teammates over there for helping me play well in the past five or six games.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Moen-Nattinen-Parros
Bournival-Briere-Prust

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Beaulieu

(Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

Beaulieu, Nattinen will be in lineup for Habs Saturday, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Young blood for Habs, Canadiens.com

Canadiens recall Beaulieu and Nattinen, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Price catches Hainsworth on Habs victory list, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs need to get moving on the power play, by Pat Hickey

Drewiske has become the forgotten Hab, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Hickey on Hockey notebook, by Pat Hickey

Subban scores OT winner against Sens, by Pat Hickey

Price saves the day, by Pat Hickey

Senators criticize Subban’s OT goal celebration, TSN.ca

Good effort, bad result for Senators, Ottawa Citizen

A seven nation army, Canadiens.com

Parros to cut hair for charity, Canadiens.com

Leafs place Clarkson, McLaren on injured reserve, torontomapleleafs.com

1. B says:

Monteal: 14 wins at home, 13 wins on the road
    Toronto: 16 wins at home, 8 wins on the road

Here’s hoping the Habs are even at 14 home and 14 road wins tomorrow morning.

2. HabFab says:

Guillaume Lefrançois – #Habs Absents ce matin : Price, Murray, Plekanec, Gionta, Gorges, Diaz, Pacioretty

Eller actually did show up to the morning skate. Hopefully most of the others will be ready to play.

3. habsfan999 says:

Ottawa is upset with P.K. celbrating an overtime goal?

Is that like us being upset with Gryba nearly decapitating Eller?

4. habsfan2014 says:

I have no problem with PK’s celebration. That’s what intense competitive players are about. Its about time we have players on this team with some swagger and pride to where CH jersey.

Why waste our time on this subject when we should be asking ourselves what Bergevin plans on doing with Bourque and Briere. Its time for our GM to show us what he’s made of

So no trade, eh? Sigh. Maybe this year they will be able to turn on that magical switch. I believe.

6. Hobie Hansen says:

I think you can thank the media fro completely blowing the celebration and the Sens comments out of proportion. Why is everyone freaking out?

All Anderson said is that he didn’t like it and they’ll have to make sure they win the game next time so it doesn’t happen again. Big flipping deal!

7. habs001 says:

If you had to select 6 forwards to be on your team for the next 2 years from the Habs and Leafs top 6 scoring forwards this year ..which six would you select?….Plecks,MaxPac,Gion,DD,Galchenyuk,Gallagher…..Kessel,Van Riemsdyk,Raymond,Kadri,Lupul,Bozak…tougher question..rather have Habs 6 or Leafs 6?

8. CH Marshall says:

Sens upset with PK? LMAO gimme a break. Where is that idiot Spezza Sens Fan that comes here when you need him? Sens are garbage through and through. pfff

9. Plekasuares says:

Have not been too any dogs game this year :(. Anyone know what we are getting with Nattinen. Excited to see him Dangle those goons

10. habs001 says:

Big game to get some distance on the Leafs…Habs 6 points ahead with a game in hand…Also the Leafs play 2 more games after tonight before the Habs play Pitts…

The talk on the Leaf pregame show is their team is getting hit by Flu Bug as well.

12. Ron says:

After tonights game the Habs don’t play until Wed in Pitts. This should give all the boys some time to heal and get over the flu. Lets all hope no one gets any injuries tonight. Be nice to hit Pitts with a healthy line up.

• CJ says:

Agreed. Pittsburgh is banged up. It would be nice to roll in and steal two points. Easier said then done though….

Let’s get past the Leafs tonight with a big win! Go Habs!

13. L Elle says:

Mavid, I want to be a guest in that room one day. :)

Awesome comments this morning! JB is still da man. Burly, your story gave me the shivers. That Cherry figurine was to make you laugh every time you look at it.

Dunboyne, I had my reservations the first summit I went to, so, I brought along a good friend, an Irishman, for “protection. ” lol
    He was wearing his Rangers (soccer team) flag, and fit in quite nicely.

As it turned out, I didn’t need the protection. The folks were wonderful and some of my best friends are a result of it.

PS: Craig Anderson is a skinhead. ;)

PSS: Go Habs Go!

14. CHicoHab says:

At the Sochi games when PK scores that game winning goal and tugs at his Canada sweater I wonder how many people will be upset at him then. My guess is ZERO!!!!

“take your time and hurry up”

• Strummer says:

Much ado about nothing. Only Anderson had a problem because he let the puck squeek thru his pads and was embarassed on the winning goal.

And because someone asked the question to try and stir up a controversey.

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

15. DipsyDoodler says:

I agree with D-Mike.

If you look at the article, only 2 Sens commented on the PK celebration. Anderson was not happy (in fairness to him it was just after losing the game – how do we feel after the Habs lose in OT?) and Spezza refused to be drawn into a controversy (“He won the hockey game, he scored the goal. Different guys celebrate in different ways”).

But one mild rebuke and one no comment turns into “Senators Criticize PK”, followed by a reporter scurrying to the Habs dressing room to ask PK about it (hoping for more controversy and not getting it).

Leafs have called up their other young fighter, Troy Bodie.

17. HabFab says:

Guillaume Lefrançois –

Joonas Nattinen portera le 28 ce soir. Il est le premier des #Habs à le faire depuis le bon Kyle Chipchura

Nattinen to wear #28 tonight.
    Beaulieu wears #40.

18. Mavid says:

Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone..first up Turds/Rangers..I will be cheering for the Rangers of course. I am having a special guest for the game tonight, Quinn is one of my friends son, he is a die hard Habs fan and as promised we are going to watch a game together, I picked tonight because its Saturday and he can stay up late, plus its against the Leafs. My spare room is all done up in Habs gear including sheets, comforter and pillows, that is were Quinn will be sleeping tonight. His mother says he is so excited he can hardly stand it, and I have to take pictures for her. I have bought chips and soft drink and lots of bad food for the occasion, its going to be a blast..this is what it is all about..come to think of it I am not sure who is more excited Quinn or me…GO HABS GO!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

19. Plekasuares says:

Go Habs Go. Should be fun at the ACC. Home ice tonight lads!!

20. Wintercount says:

- 23 wild turkeys
    - 14 deer yarding in the cedars
    - 1 large hawk soaring over the softwood
    - and the unmistakable 5″ pad of a lone timberwolf

7:am snowshoe run
    January 18, 2014

Punkster and others!

Next Sat. at Hurleys—The game is at 7pm, so after the game or before the game?? OR both. I’m game.

22. HABSFAN7 says:

morning’ all – does anyone know if the Habs are practicing this morning? My daughter has an 11:30 game at the Mastercard Centre and I was wondering if there was the slight chance I could bump into the team practicing…

John!
    The faucett stayed very short and inside, he was not stupid enough to stick his head out!

Next Saturday the 25th I will be attending the Bell Center for the game against Washington with my oldest son.

On behalf of all HIO members,
    I will be presenting last Summit’s charity donation from all of us, to the Montreal Canadiens Children’s Foundation, (at center ice.!) (Just dreaming a little) I will be giving a check to Mr. Franks somewhere at the Bell Center.
    The Summit raised $3500 for charity last year! We are one heck of a community.
    Bigger and better next year.—IAN

Be nice to have a cold one with some of you at Hurley’s next Sat.

25. HabFab says:

Dave Stubbs -

This day 1958: #Bruins Willie O’Ree plays vs #Habs at Forum, becoming 1st African-Canadian to play in an #NHL game

26. HabFab says:

Gio turns 35 today and Chris Hadfield is singing Oh Canada tonight via Stubbs on Twitter

27. HabFab says:

To go with Hickey’s KHL article, Grantlands visits Kovalchuk;

28. habstrinifan says:

Where do I line up to piss on the media too? Geez!

29. Dunboyne Mike says:

HabFab!

Gotchya! Penny drops an hour later! Thought you were sneering at my flat tax query!

Was intending to try today, btw.

Man, I had a grinding, exhausting week, and I have laughed so much on this site since getting up this morning….

30. Cal says:

Hey everybody.
    Why is HIO the best?
    Besides factual reporting and fanboy Boone’s “ride the wave” opinions, it’s the comments section. So many insights and a ton of laughs.
    JB’s fictional account of PK below is an absolute gem.
    Dunboyne Mike’s trilogy on TSN’s (and mayhap the league’s) attitude towards PK.
    Burly’s great tale of the last night of Maple Leaf Gardens and the Rocket’s appearance.
    Ian Cobb and his literary success after a lifetime of not being able to decipher the words on the page. Mr. Summit’s story gets me every time.
    So many more contribute in their own way to make HIO my home page (despite all the gremlins and hamsters fighting for control of the site).
    It’s why we all keep coming back.
    Of course, most of us laugh at and or dislike the Leafs, so we’re in good company.

31. habstrinifan says:

“Band of brothers”, “one of us”, “prodigality of understanding”, praise for our P.K.

All I know is that when I came to this site he “was a healthy scratch” , a “cause celebre of infamy”, “a wild thoroughbred”.
    But we “never NEVer NEVER” forgot to teach him how to spell “TEAM TEAM TEAM” and look at him now, an “HIO award winner”, a person we “get along with”.

Damn the media. Where do they get their perspective from? That we had a problem with P.K.

Edit: Never mind a running joke on HIO last game was “bench P.K.”… you know like how old wives tales keep their notoriety through gallows humour and children’s nursery rhymes.

Oh yah forgot, Good Morning Everyone!

Great reading this morning folks. Special shout out to JB for opening the morning with his usual low brow Proses, I mean that in the highest way possible. JB you make many folks smile here, we are very lucky to have you as a regular contributor.

Mike Dunboyne, I think indeed you nailed it on the head. Thanks for your diligence in continuing to make sure your post found the light of day.

Today I am fortunate enough to attend the Habs game. The last time I saw a Habs game in the Evil Incarnate city it was during the final season of the Gardens. I attended the game knowing that Toronto was introducing a legend from the opposition as a sign of respect. I knew this because I had earlier seen a Rangers that game and saw them introduce one of the Rangers past greats. (The funny part is I am struggling to remember whom it was!)

I went to the game knowing about this and my mind raced all day with excitement. I was sure it would be Mr. Beliveau, but also wondered if perhaps it would be my hero Guy Lafleur. I get to the game and they began the introduction, they started talking about records and my entire body trembled, goosebumps, hair on the back of my neck standing on end. I couldn’t believe it, it was indeed Mr. Richard! I was elated, I didn’t think his health at the time would have made it possible, but sure enough there in living colour was the greatest goalscorer in hockey history. The building erupted, a standing ovation which actually could rival a Habs ovation, Leaf fans around me were whistling, screaming, cheering and clapping. I spoke to some fans who told me they had never seen their own players ever receive such an ovation, but indeed our greatest hero drew this out.

The Habs proceeded to close that building in a grand style with a victory. I am anticipating a similar result tonight.

I am Pumped!

GO Habs GO!

• Old Bald Bird says:

What a touching account about the Rocket and the ovation. Gives me shivers.

Perhaps the most memorable Habs live memory I have. I still remember my first ever Habs game in Winnipeg on Tuxedo night with my first live glimpse of Lafleur and that beautiful mane of his. But the Rocket moment was at a time where I was old enough to understand the magnitude of the moment, and to recognize just what the Rocket meant and means to hockey.

Thanks OBB, hope you have a great day!

• Habfan10912 says:

We’re lucky to have you aboard here as well Burly and JB and DM are treasures for sure. Enjoy the game tonight. I hope the boys show up tonight. CHeers.

Cheers, Burly.
      What a great story! (And what a magnanimous event).
      But you must forget all that tonight! Go crazy! Wear something distinctive so we can pick you out!
      Enjoy!

• CJ says:

Sounds like one of those rare sporting events that would be worth the price of admission. What a great story. I only wish I had the great pleasure to meet the Rocket.

My father said when he was a boy playing minor hockey, the Rocket would come each spring to his banquet. An uncle also mentioned that the Rocket refereed an old timers game he once played against the Montreal Canadiens alumni.

My memories are woven into the fabric of the classic Canadian novel, the Hockey Sweater, which my mother used to read to my brother and I before bed. I now find myself reading the same book to my young boys. The things you think about on Hockey Day in Canada.

• JohnBellyful says:

Now you got me pumped, Burli, what with the shout out, and the great memory.
      I have none that can compare, other than the time I tried to hand over a few written suggestions on how to improve the team’s play to coach Martin as he was stepping out of the shower. He was so surprised by the encounter he dropped his notebook. (I’ll bring it to the next Summit.)
      Actually, I guess that memory isn’t very comparable. My body didn’t tremble, there were no goosebumps, and the hair on my back remained flat. I did get a tingly sensation, though, when he smacked me.
      Anyways, enjoy the game tonight and I’ll be looking for you in the crowd shots. Hold up a ‘I Love Don Cherry!’ sign to ensure you get some time on camera.
      BTW, what’s the team’s record when you see them in person?

Edit: Good morning, everyone.

STOP!!!!!

Still in facial-muscle recovery mode.

Their record in T.O. with my attendance is perfect, however, I have seen Leafs in Montreal about 6-7 times and the record is not so good.

Hey L gave me a Cherry figurine (still not sure why) perhaps I should bring it along and throw it on the ice, to show my thoughts regarding his stance on things similar to that of the fan tossing the home teams jersey……

Or maybe I’ll just enjoy the game, some beers and do my best to holler my lungs out!

• Lagerhab says:

What a great storey Burli! It brought back the memory of when I met The Rocket. It was 1977 and I was playing in first year of Atom, my first in rep hockey. We were playing a game in Blind River, inthis old barn of an arena. It had chain link fence instead of glass and there were holes in the roof, if it was snowing out you would get snow coming through the holes onto the ice while we were playing lol!

Well this day there was an ol’timer game going on and The Rocket was reffing the game. We played after the ol’timer game and Mr. Richard came into our dressing room before our game to say hello. It was pretty cool! My only regret looking back was that being only 8 years old at the time I didn’t fully realize the magnitude of the man standing before me!

34. JUST ME says:

I am so happy that people on HIO react against the way others are making a big fuss about P.K.`s reaction to his overtime goal cause maybe this will show them (us) what it looks like when WE MAKE A STORY ABOUT NOTHING.

Actually i feel the total opposite about P.K.`s celebration. I cannot remember the last time i have seen Habs players displaying their pride towards the crest and this season P.K. is the second one after Galchenyuk.
    Food for thoughts: Do you think a player would care about the damn crest if he hated the coach ?

35. Dunboyne Mike says:

On PK.

We’ve had:

- trade PK
    - PK needs to tone it down
    - PK hated by Markov, by Cole, by Therrien, by whoever in le Club
    - League’s most hated
    - not a lock for the Olympic team
    - etc etc etc

36. Dunboyne Mike says:

(PK rant continued) (with bits missing)

Craig Anderson is just a sore loser who had a bad night. Of course he whined, and he’s just unlucky that the mics were on. To me, that’s a non-story.

Not to the media, especially since Anderson’s frustration ends up focused on PK. “Great! PK!”, exults the media. “Now we have something to print.”

Exhibit A: the TSN story on PK’s celebration (linked here on HIO above). How cheap, lazy and risible that they devote space to that instead of to some other aspect of the game. It’s half-assed actions like this, and of questionable professionalism, that sustain in the media a perception of PK as some kind of more-than-usually-flawed star.

In the media. I have never once seen credible evidence to suggest that this perception is true among players or hockey fans.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Exhibit B. From the posts I read below the TSN story — not always exactly a great forum of balanced and fair-minded discussion — all but one supports PK or trashes the story or has advice for Anderson. All but one. Even Leafs fans backing PK, with dozens of “thumbs-up” attached to each one. Exclusively “thumbs-down” for the one exception. It’s only one sample, but for me it reinforces my belief that the gap between the reality of PK and what the media chooses to make of him — and out of him — is huge.

Present Gazette hockey-coverage company excluded (except when mischievously applying the spoon), no matter how persuasively they dissemble otherwise, the vast majority of media’s priority is not to inform the public, reflect reality, provide commentary etc.

It’s to make money.

And if you can make money with cheap, half-assed lazy writing and reporting such as that which PK so often attracts, then you are doing your job, contributing to the bottom line, pleasing your editor and doing right by your stakeholders.

And this is where my personal conclusion, after long consideration, is that skin colour really does come into it. I have always found it hard to believe that the NHL — as much as I despise it for other reasons — is a racist league, in its players or management, or that hockey fans are racist (of course, every sample has a minority percentage of rednecks).

No, I think the racist element in the PK story is coming almost entirely, albeit possibly or at least sometimes unconsciously, from a media that needs to keep feeding the beast by deadline, using absolutely anything that can pass as a “story” and will be read or viewed by enough of the LCD to keep everyone in the office happy. Having a black guy in a white league makes that lazy effort even easier.

• jols101 says:

Very happy you didn’t give up on posting your thoughts. Great post. I also noticed the fan reaction underneath the PK story on TSN was all in favor of PK. I was a little surprised by that. The one hater got thumbed down big time. When I started to read the fan reaction I expect many more haters than defenders. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Because? There isn’t anything to hate.
          The media needs there to be hate.

• jols101 says:

Well, I was at the game. I live in Ottawa. Every time PK touched the puck 10,000 fans booed for no reason, the other 10,000 were Hab fans, so there definitely is some hate out there. I would suggest more jealousy than hate but it is definitely there. I agree with you totally about TSN trying to fuel the hate with articles that are based largely on fiction.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Very interesting Jols, since you were there.

But isn’t it exactly as you say, jealousy? Or some kind of resentment that as well as razzmatazz, he can beat you? As he did vs the Sens. Bell Centre fans boo certain players who have stung us. But is it actually “hate”? I really don’t think so.

When it’s Chara, it’s hate, with good reason.

• CJ says:

When Montreal scored it looked to me like 60-70 percent of those in the arena were Habs fans.

Not sure if this is widely known, but Stuntman Stu, the in house announcer is a huge Canadiens fan.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Wow. The Ottawa hockey story just keeps getting better and better.

• Mavid says:

I was also at the game..I found it interesting that the booing of PK was actually delayed for a second or two..because as stated there is no real hate (other than the odd real one) they are like sheep..they boo because they think they are suppose to..everyone else does it, so should we..except everyone else usually has a reason.. hence the delay..oh wait PK has the puck now..time to boo..when pressed for a reason Sens fans can come up with nothing. In my bias and humble opinion, they are wanna be’s..trying to fit in with the big boys..so they imitate what we do, only to fail..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Your first-hand experience really reinforces what I believed from afar.

There ain’t no delay when the Bell Centre fans boo Chara.

• Habfan10912 says:

Great post. Good golly, folks like you and UCe’s use of the English language makes me look like a 1st grader.

To the point of your post, its been my thought since PK came into the league that a certain amount of PK bias was skin related. It’s sad that in 2014 this is even part of the discussion.

PK is a ground breaker and ground breakers are often subject to a rough ride now and then.

One thing we all can agree on PK is a wonderful talent and we’re fortunate to have him on our team.

Off and running. CHeers all.

• CJ says:

Very fortunate. I can’t wait to see the reaction fans have when he raises the Stanley Cup.

With respect to PK, I have posts on my facebook timeline where people have gone as far as suggesting they won’t cheer for Canada because he is on the team. Blatant racism.

I love watching PK and hope he lights up Toronto tonight! Go PK, go Habs!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Why thank you, Jim. It was a torrent of feeling.

UCE’s a bastard! He writes the best English here and it’s not even his first language!!

• Old Bald Bird says:

“Applying the spoon” is a new one on me. Tell me about this phrase.

I agree that the media is likely overblowing a comment that was probably almost a throwaway in response to a loaded question. I also agree that there may be some deep but slight latent racism involved. I don’t think they even realize this and would probably be shocked to realize that it was lurking.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Thanks OBB. Hopefully you’re right and it’s unintended. If so, let someone enlighten them soon.

But my cynical side says they know well what they’re doing.

Canadian (as opposed to Canadiens) love for PK may increase during the Olympics.

(the spoon thing was a reference to stirring the… pot. Something not exactly alien to MBoone!)

• Old Bald Bird says:

I love it. Is it your special phrase, or is it common over there?

• Old Bald Bird says:

Oh, and about the other thing. I think part of it is that he plays for the hated Habs. Remember that most reporters are old enough to have been subjected to the dynasties — at least second hand from their parents. It’s a pretty deep hatred. I remember one young fellow watching a playoff game at my uni in the late 60s, exhorting them (the Leafs?) to shoot the puck into the face of some Hab going down to block a shot.

Just came to me!
            In the past I have posted an image of one of those little souvenir-shop spoons with a Nova Scotia flag on it when Maritime Ron has tried to wake up a sleepy commentariat!

You’re right of course.

As a Montrealer, I didn’t really get that until I came to Ireland and saw how soccer fans have either undying devotion to or hell-fire hatred for Manchester United.

Cf the Yankees, the Cowboys (although less because of dynastic success — which they’ve never enjoyed to the same extent as Habs, ManU and Yankees) — than to do with self-proclamation!).

• Coach K says:

Very well stated! The perception of PK is entirely a media creation borne of the need to create a controversy in order to sell copy or advertising. I would suspect that the first thing Bergevin would be looking for if he moved PK to satisfy the media frenzy, would be a player with exactly PK’s skills and bravado.

—When Hell freezes over, I’ll play hockey there too—

• 24 Cups says:

The only real story from Thursday night was how Anderson lost the game for his team by letting in the softest goal of the evening in overtime.

• JohnBellyful says:

Excellent rant, Dunby.
      I’m a fan of PK, and while there are some things he does that annoy me — no player is perfect, except the sainted Beliveau — his failings in no way warrant the kind of media coverage he receives, and one is left to speculate, with good reason, that a lot of it has to do with the colour of his skin, as much it does with the nature of his personality.
      TSN ran a three-part series on homosexuality in the NHL this week; I would suggest its next special investigative series focus on bias in the media, starting in its own backyard.
      Or barnyard, it feels like, on certain days.

Cheers, JB.
        I believe most hockey fans are colour-blind. The media isn’t.
        Is it possible the TSN doc on homosexuality was any good? Would love to see it if it was. Is it available?

Have to say again — as you empirically increased the lameness of PK’s game-winning goal with layer upon layer of improbability, I literally started crying at “with a backhander”.

Oh man. Welling up again and shoulders starting to shake!

Good point on their next series, but I can’t ever see them doing that. Perhaps instead they could do something easier like explain how it is that Darren Dreger manages to prop his arse on a fence every day of the year as he proceeds to tell us absolutely nothing while pretending this gift of his is only available to he an insider. I am thinking insider refers to the location of a fencepost within his lower body.

37. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends.
    Hey DM. I’m curious. Keep trying to get your post up. As Jolls suggested there probably is one of those “words” the censures dislike.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I trimmed the second chapter — I mean paragraph — down to just a couple of lines and it wouldn’t go.

Here, maybe I’ll try a bit from the middle! Catch em off guard!

38. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Loved Subban’s goal and celebration. The CH crest is the oldest in hockey. It has been worn by Belliveau, Richard(s), Plante, Lafleur… The CH means something. It means 24 Cups and counting. Subban honours the legacy embroidered into that crest. On the other hand, the roman bloke on the Ottawa uniforms is just another contemporary sports design, liable to be changed with the next graphic fashion. It means nothing.

I also loved Subban’s dismissal of the kerfuffle as nonsense. He’s looking more and more like the Habs’ captain every day.

Go Habs! Let’s see some Leaf mulching tonight!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The bizarre thing about the Senators’s crest is that it’s a centurion and not a senator. They should change either their name or crest.

To be true to their name they need an old man in a toga — think I Claudius or Life of Brian (“Biggus Dickus”!).

Finally, a logo worse than a duck.

• CJ says:

Have you ever seen the original logo? It was actually a picture of the Canadian parliament building.

I agree with your observation. Oddly, nobody in Ottawa seems to notice.

Did not know that, OMG!

I feel a big Ottawa dis coming on but am suppressing it because I actually love the city and have many happy memories of school trips and family trips there.

But your comment says it all concerning Ottawa and hockey!

• CJ says:

It’s a great city. I can’t think of a better place to raise a family. There has never been an issue with the hockey fans until last year’s playoffs. All of a sudden they have become arrogant and outspoken. It was so much better when they were the affable losers. It’s odd because a large percentage of the older fan base are all former Canadiens fans.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Yeah I know some of them.
            Oh, if I could have brought my own kids skating on the canal when they were young….
            Went to the aeronautics museum with my Dad nearly every year, brought my own son when he was about 8 — now he’s in basic training for the Irish Air Corps….

39. HabFab says:

Interesting piece on the salaries in the KHL from Hickey. They are not so high as you would think. Another point not mentioned is that the Russian Income Tax rate is a flat 13%.

40. HabFab says:

Collberg – 29GP – 2G + 3A – 6 PIM
    de la Rose – 34GP – 5G + 5A – 14 PIM
    Lehkonen – 33GP – 7G + 13A – 4 PIM
    Nygren – 13GP – 6G + 4A – 6 PIM
    Nystrom – 13GP – 0 + 0 – 0 PIM

41. jols101 says:

I’ve noticed Sportsnet has become much more pro Habs lately while TSN still rips the Habs all the time.

TSN seems to especially enjoy making stories out of nothing concerning PK Subban. TSN has become tabloid reporting when it concerns PK. Really appalling.

Sportsnet, had two stories on the Habs yesterday. One concerning PK and the other concerning Price. Sid of the ‘Tim and Sid Show’ really stood up for PK and basically told all the haters to f off.

They also discussed Price on ‘Hockey Central’ and both panelists agreed he should be the starter for Canada and they also argued if he was the best in the world. One disagreed with that and said it was Lundquist (which is understandable). The other guy said Lundquist may have been the best prior to the goalie equipment being reduced in size but Price has been the best since the new rules were implemented. High praise.

I think Sportsnet is taking over from TSN as my favorite source of sporting news.

Great post, Jols.

But how come yours appeared and mine won’t.

Could it have anything to do with mine being 15 times longer?!

• jols101 says:

Ha, maybe. I remember UCe complaining that many of his posts were denied due to length, so there probably is a word-count maximum. Don’t let that stop you though. Turn it into a trilogy.

• aroma says:

That augers well for what’s to come. TSN will soon be largely out of the NHL broadcast picture and Sportsnet the big player. The Toronto Sports Network staff can go ahead and mumble all they want about the Habs off air while they go ahead with their business broadcasting curling and poker.

Sweet.
        Like that Farside cartoon of the Devil welcoming an orchestral conductor to Hell, ushering him into a little room full of people playing accordions!

• CJ says:

I wonder if this is a result of the goodwill PK earned while working with Sportsnet during the lockout. That, or perhaps Sportsnet just gets it. I must say, Sid has a new supporter here. I agreed with his commentary, mainly that if you have a problem with PK, that’s essentially all on you.

• jols101 says:

Working there certainly didn’t hurt PK, he made a great impression I think. Ya, I loved Sid’s rant. It was great and long overdue from someone in the media.

42. Dunboyne Mike says:

I composed the mother of all posts. About PK and the media. It wouldn’t post. It may be too long, so I’m going to try and post it in two instalments. Please bear with me. And please read it (if you have a spare two hours). Wondering if I’m off-base or not, and most interested in the thoughts of my eminent fellow-posters.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Nope. Won’t go. Must be some of the vocab — nothing obvious. Oh well, you’ll never know….

• Lafleurguy says:

Are you insinuating some of us are slow readers? ‘Cause if you are, guilty!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Old Bald Bird says:

I did a somewhat long one yesterday that wouldn’t post, and when I tried again, the site wouldn’t accept a duplicate. So I rearranged it a bit and changed some words, and it posted.

• JF says:

I tried posting something on ALN yesterday. It vanished, and by the time I’d rewritten it, ALN had been replaced by this thread, which for some reason accepted the identical post. I’ve realized that whenever I write a long post, I should file it before posting.

Cheers.
        I actually saved it. Not because it’s a work of art — I wrote it too quickly and didn’t allow it any “stew” time — but because I finally came to a conclusion about some things I previously couldn’t exactly put a finger on.

So I’ll try a little tinkering.

43. zephyr says:

I just read a post about how those at the game noticed how the poor reffing threw off the habs. well, I observed that too watching it on tv. same as last playoffs. the gazette & other news media need to cast a bright light on this atrocious practice. the nhl won’t do anything if they don’t make a stink & embarrass the league. people need to see the reffing for the joke that it is. hilite reels full of cross-checks & interference, hooking, elbowing etc. contrasted with things like that 3rd period call against subban.
    is beaulieu still 194 lbs? geez. if so, he’s an undersized dman. that means diaz is stockier. frankly, any nhl dman under 210 is undersized now. pk muscled up to 220 & all he did was win the Norris. it didn’t hurt him at all. what is keeping guys like georges, diaz & beaulieu from muscling up?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I used to coach rugby. In practice games we would warn the guys that we were going to ref badly and unfairly. We made them learn to stick to their game irrespective of the refs.

Not sure if we can rope in the Gazette as an ally. Don’t they have to maintain some semblance of impartiality?

Perhaps we could do our own youtube clips with good toons. There are great one of English premiership players writhing in agony and holding their shins with slo-mo replay showing no one touched them.

3 minutes of atrocious Peel calls — with his name emblazoned across the top might make a good start. Gradually work through all the officials. Collect ‘em all!

44. monmick says:

Happy Hockey Day in Canada everyone…

45. jols101 says:

Great lineup today on CBC for Hockey Day is Canada. I think I’ll order a large Gabriel’s pie this afternoon and work the couch groove for a solid 12 hours of hockey.

46. habstrinifan says:

” Rene Bourque, whose arms had to be raised by his teammates. ”

Freaking hilarious Mr. Bellyful. Best line of the game and the game hasnt even started yet.

• jols101 says:

Yep, that line made me spit out my morning coffee. So funny. Made my day.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

What on earth are you guys doing up?! What’s wrong with you??

• jols101 says:

I’m always an early riser. Not opposed to an afternoon nap on the weekends though.

How are things Mike? How do you feel about tonight’s game?

• habstrinifan says:

I pulled a Rene Bourque. he he he he

Who’s gonna raise my arms?

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I couldn’t even read the Bourque one because I was already crying too much to be able to see my screen!

Can’t wait to read the Live blog when (if) he scores again!

• I get up every day between 4-5am, you can thank the infantry for that. Plus I love being alone and working on my designs before the the Oliver freight train comes through, aka my 13 and 10 year olds. :lol:

Shane Oliver
        Twitter @Sholi2000
        Custom Sports Figures
        Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I remember that now, Sholi.

I’m sure you’re enjoying the freight train. Three of ours are too big now, no. 4 is a self-sufficient, independent high-school girl.
          No. 5 is the caboose, makes up for the others! Love it.

(Spending a few weeks doing something on Rwanda with my Grade 12s, 20 years ago this April. You and I will meet some day and have that chat about Dallaire.)

Cheers, Sholi.

• It’s a horrible story that not even pictures can describe. Good luck!

Shane Oliver
            Twitter @Sholi2000
            Custom Sports Figures
            Summit Member 1.29.31.33

You are so right.
            It’s religious studies, so they’re looking at it and considering the questions, What is evil? Is there such a thing? Is anyone pure evil? They started off laughing at the words Hutus and Tutsis. In fairness to them, they are not laughing now and are fully engaged.

47. GOOD MORNING AND HAPPY HOCKEY DAY IN CANADA

Still on a Great Big Kiss it Sens after the CAREY PRICE SHOW the other night. Hey when your goalie plays like that, and the team plays like that, and then PK does THAT in OT, well you gotta run that baby right until the the last second of the very next game.

Just a thought on the three star selection. Everyone laughed when Price was named 2nd star, but it makes perfect sense that Karlson be named 1st star. After all he had a goal and two assists, plus he was was one the ice for three Habs goals against so that’s another three helpers. He had a great night!

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

48. Dunboyne Mike says:

A transatlantic good morning to all of you pre-Corn Flakes EDTers.

Missed the Sens game and the aftermath, still correcting exams. So in that vein, can I say to Mr Boone for ALN, with particular reference to imagery involving Acapulco and “luggage” at Pearson Airport, and to the list of rhetorical questions with which he closed, A+!

(I also have a sticky gold star for Boing007 who, at the suggestion we call up Louis Leblanc, wondered would we better with Lois Lane!).

Didn’t get to read the 648 other posts. Sometimes life just gets in the way. But not tonight, baby. NOT TONIGHT! GO HABS GO!!!!

Now, where are those Great Gatsby plot tests…

• Lafleurguy says:

Missed a classic, Dun. The team was outplayed considerably, but Plek the Czech, and Price the Non-Czech were great and outstanding in that order.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers and salut, mon vieux.

Apart from highlights this morning (does anyone else try to click on the “highlights” button at NHL.com with eyes half-closed so you don’t see the score?), I saw a few minutes in the middle of the first: our second goal, Pleks take the puck in the knee — OH NOOOOOOOOO!!! — and then the Sens scoring twice.

Great. So I appreciate the summary. Thanks.

(Depending on the spelling of Non-Czech — ie. non-check — that could be quite a few different players!).

• Lafleurguy says:

And it’s not among Price’s best attributes, but it does fit a theme.
          Quite a season, eh Dun? Of course, this is alluding to the Grand Club, but I’m also referencing the HIO rollercoaster ride, nee bandwagon.

“May you live in interesting times.”

Do you live in Toronto?

• Lafleurguy says:

Why, do you?
            (joking)
            Same burgh as Burly, about 60 km west of tonight’s game.
            And like Bugs, I’m Canadian.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Ha ha, no I don’t. Raised two blocks from the Forum, now settled in Dunboyne.

However, mother and siblings+families are in Toronto where I am visiting Feb 15-22, the Olympic hockey week. After losing my blog virginity here on HIO four years ago, I now feel almost ready to take a wild chance that some of the posters here aren’t sex predators grooming their future victims!

• Lafleurguy says:

Holy smokes, Dun! Will slip you contact info, discreet manner, unlike “Bill,” who may have regretted displaying his e-mail address publicly.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Brilliant! Thanks! And I promise I’m not a groomer myself! (But I guess they all say that!).

Did Bill? When?

49. jamman says:

Ain’t no P.K bud! you ono sum thing? **** senator d’ottawa and **** Bobby Ryan! Cheers HIO lets go canadiens!

50. Garbo says:

Imagine the uproar in the media if PK pulled this kind of pre-madonna behaviour on them.

What a loser.

• The Jackal says:

That aside, I think the media is overbearing, nosy, and entitled.
      There’s nothing wrong with a PERSON getting some time away from the spotlight. The media loves to muck things up and create something out of nothing, it’s sad to see what we read every day as “quality” reporting. Don’t get me wrong, many journalists do fantastic work, but the bulk of the media is head-line generating BS that has no substance, and that goes for sports too. If I were a pro athlete, I’d happily do what Karlsson did.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Mavid says:

Not sure if its true or not, but there was a rumor going around town that his wife left him..went back to the homeland..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

51. habkin says:

Hey Hab Fans, perhaps this song will bring us luck:)

52. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

JohnBellyful! You are the Stephen Leacock of HIO! Brilliance at every turn!

53. JohnBellyful says:

TORONTO – Even PK Subban said he might have gone too far with his goal celebration tonight after his Montreal Canadiens downed the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2.
    Subban played it low-key after his first two goals but when he notched his third for the hat trick the Norris Trophy-winning defenceman let it all hang out.
    He pulled a Leaf towel from underneath his jersey, blew his nose on it, tossed it into the air and ‘shot’ it down with his hockey stick-turned-rifle. He then picked it up with his hockey stick-turned-spear and pretended to light it before whipping the towel into the Leafs bench, causing players to scatter.
    Subban told reporters after the game he “may have gone overboard” showing how “delighted” he was to have scored from his own blue line.
    “Sure, it was neat to get a goal with a backhander from that far out, and seeing it go in off Phaneuf’s head really struck me as funny, but I should have showed more restraint,” he said. “In hindsight, autographing the puck (with a yellow magic marker) and handing it to (Leaf goaltender Jonathan) Bernier probably stepped over the line.”
    Subban said he deserved the two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty but not the extra two minutes for being black or the 10-minute misconduct for breathing.
    Montreal’s other goals were scored by Travis Moen, who rode his stick back to centre ice while saluting the crowd, and Rene Bourque, whose arms had to be raised by his teammates.

– “A little song, a little dance, annoy your foes at every chance.” –

54. joeybarrie says:

I guess Craig Anderson and the rest of the cry babies don’t remember when Nick Foligno scored when he played for the Senators.
    I guess guys like Ovechkin can celebrate by pretending his stick is hot hot hot. Kovalev (also a Senator at one point) did the moon walk, Teemu Selanne turned his stick into a gun, and the list goes on and on….
    Maybe Craig Anderson should understand he is being paid a lot of money to entertain a lot of people. Maybe he should quit and go curling.

• FormalWare says:

Curling? Curling is also all about entertainment! I don’t see your point.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

• joeybarrie says:

can’t throw your broom. Have to say it when you burn the rock. Its a low celebration sport on individual points.
        I’m guessing you have never played in a league, attitude and conduct count for a lot. Nothing wrong with it. I like it.
        but in a sport where you can take off your gloves and fight someone. Spearing only gets you two minutes and there is a big emphasis on legal hitting, LOUD sirens when the home team scores, and gimmicks like a 30 second build up to the entire crowd screaming UNLEASH THE FURY from a Tom Green in Roadtrip montage, I think a goal celebration of grabbing your teams crest for the fans who support you isn’t anything at all

• The Jackal says:

Agreed, it’s stupid that there is this conservatism in hockey, and while I can understand players getting upset over a celebration, it’s not like the knife does not cut both ways for them. To be fair though, all these players you mention have gotten heat for celebrating. It’s an old mentality that’s hopefully on its way out.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

55. JohnBellyful says:

I see PK has weighed in on the raging controversy regarding Phaneuf’s choice of cap during interviews, which former Leaf CEO Richard Peddie has criticized.
    Guys, where were you three months ago?
    (Not reading HIO, obviously.)

JohnBellyful
    October 31, 2013 at 9:22 am

Saw a clip the other day of Joe Thorton – the four-stroke engine that powers the Sharks’ offence – being interviewed but the only thing that stuck with me was his wearing a ball cap emblazoned with Red Bull in huge letters.
    The guy doesn’t already make enough money from hockey that he has to shill for an energy drink?
    Of course, he’s not the only athlete to sport corporate bumf but it was the sheer in-your-face crassness that I found so
    Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen we interrupt this HIO post to bring you a special bulletin. The San Jose Mercury News is reporting the Montreal Canadiens will hold a news conference within the hour to make a major announcement. No details were provided. More will follow so stay tuned. We now return you to the post in progress.
    How long will it be before we see caps bearing logos for Viagra (“Hard times. Good times.”), KY Jelly (“Making love shouldn’t be a chore”), Preparation H (“Unleash the Krapen!”), Summer’s Eve.
    Ridiculous, right?
    Why can’t these millionaires use their time in front of the camera for the good of society and send a message to viewers that there are many worthwhile causes out there they should be supporting? I’d love to see them wearing ball caps that read
    Announcer: Ladies and gentlemen, thusands of Canadien fans have begun to gather at the Bell Centre following word their favourite team is about to make a huge announcement. Rumours are circulating it could involve the sale of the team. We’ll let you know more as soon as there is something definite to report. Back to HIO
    or Feed the Hungry. What about End Gang Violence? Reduce, Reuse, Recycle? …

Sheldon Souray out for entire season with another wrist surgery. That guy has really fought injuries his whole career. Always liked him, he stood up for his teammates and had a boomer.

57. sirs81 says:

With Grant Clitsome maybe they are sending Diaz to the Jets with a package for someone? Maybe I’m just thinking to hard lol

58. WindsorHab-10 says:

Ottawa Sens players, Craig Anderson in particular, crying/complaining about PK’s celebration last night. What a piece of crap Anderson is adding that the Sens don’t celebrate like that when they win in OT. Look here scumbag, PK subban was booed all night long by your fans, scores the game winner & gives it right back to them, a natural reaction by any player, but because it’s PK Subban, well lets pile on him, tear him apart, shred him to pieces & whine like bitches about it. Just pathetic.

Sid Seixeiro of Sportsnet Radio Addressed this issue and told anyone that would listen, including Craig Anderson to SHUT THE HELL UP. He added that PK is a Norris trophy winner, a great player & should do what he pleases. Thank you Sid, we as fans of PK appreciate the support. Can’t wait for the windbag Cherry tomorrow on Coach’s Corner.

That Raonic guy… he needs to get a haircut.

I guess it’s like stating the obvious but looks like no trade… just an insurance callup.

61. FormalWare says:

Pet peeve: Bloggers/commenters that post something clearly and deliberately inflammatory – and then label those inflamed as “defensive”.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

62. fastfreddy says:

Sens are poor losers, no class . Shut up Anderson and play hockey.
    CH = Les Glorieux!!!

63. Sportfan says:

LOL for everyone who’s like why Nattinen watch him blow our minds :P and everyone falls in love.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

64. Habitant in Surrey says:

…which defence would give Us a more realistic hope to go beyond the first round of the playoffs this season

…PK, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz, Murray, and Bouillion ?

…or, PK, Markov, Gorges, Emelin, Pateryn, Beaulieu and Tinordie ?

65. govenah says:

I haven’t done the big scroll through the last day but has anyone mentioned that Nattinen or Beaulieu are up for a possible trade showcase. Thats what I have been pond-ering. Maybe its just a pond hockey musing.

Consistent hockey wins.

66. Habitant in Surrey says:

…which NHL outdoor game will, in hindsight one year from now, will result in the most significant boost in fan interest throughout the United States ?

,,,the ‘Madhouse’ in Michigan between the Wings an da Weeds ? ….or, in Los Angeles (Dodger Stadium), the Kings vs Anaheim ?

67. Storman says:

Watching Dave Bolland on Sportsnet skating and working to comeback from lacerated Achilles injury, was painful just to watch

68. Storman says:

Sid Seixeiro SN590- The Fan Big Time in PK’s corner. He said it like it is,
    PK is a star in this League a Canadian Olympian, one of the best players in the league, you dont like it shut up leave the kid alone and shut up..

69. Storman says:

James Wisniewski still has a cannon from the point

• FormalWare says:

And he always will. The shot is the last skill to deteriorate. How do you think Souray and MAB stayed in the NHL as long as they did?

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)