Habs call up Beaulieu, Nattinen from Hamilton

The Canadiens announced on Friday morning that they have called up defenceman Nathan Beaulieu (photo above) and forward Joonas Nattinen from the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs.

In 32 games with the Bulldogs this season, the 6-foot-2, 194-pound Beaulieu has 4-10-14 totals and 21 penalty minutes. The 21-year-old, who was the Canadiens’ first-round draft pick in 2011 (17th overall), played five games with the Habs earlier this season, recording one assist.

Nattinen, a 6-foot-3, 192-pounder, has spent all season in Hamilton, posting 5-6-11 totals and 12 penalty minutes in 37 games. The 23-year-old Finn was selected by the Canadiens in the third round (65th overall) at the 2009 NHL entry draft.

Defenceman Raphael Diaz and forward Lars Eller, both suffering from the flu, missed practice Friday afternoon in Toronto as the Canadiens prepare to face the Maple Leafs Saturday night (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). Defenceman Douglas Murray also skipped practice, taking a therapy day.

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed that Beaulieu and Nattinen will both play Saturday night and that Carey Price will start in goal. No official decision has been made on who won’t dress to make room for Beaulieu and Nattinen.

Tweeted Bulldogs play-by-play announcer Derek Wills after the callups from Hamilton were announced:

“Nattinen is big and strong, a good skater and a smart player. … While Nattinen has been playing on the 4th line with Courtnal & Fournier, the 4th line gets a lot of ice time. … Nattinen is a regular on penalty kill, which has gone 25 for the last 26. Good player, good prospect.”

As for Beaulieu, Wills tweeted: “Fresh-off his first-ever “Gordie Howe Hat Trick” (Beaulieu) has been heating-up with 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists) in last 5 games.”

Nattinen told reporters in Toronto after practice that he wants to bring speed, size and a good defensive game to the Canadiens.

“Hopefully, I’ll also be able to create some offense,” he added. “The last eight games in Hamilton, we won seven. Things are going really well right now. Making the playoffs is a big goal for us, and hopefully the boys can keep it going.”

Said Beaulieu: “You try to stay current with everything going on (with the Canadiens), while hoping that something is going to happen. You never know. It was great news for me. I have to take advantage of these kinds of opportunities. This one is really important to me. Things are going really well for the Bulldogs. With team success comes success at the individual level. I have to give a lot of credit to my teammates over there for helping me play well in the past five or six games.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Moen-Nattinen-Parros
Bournival-Briere-Prust

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Beaulieu

(Photo by Nick Laham/Getty Images)

Beaulieu, Nattinen will be in lineup for Habs Saturday, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Young blood for Habs, Canadiens.com

Canadiens recall Beaulieu and Nattinen, hamiltonbulldogs.com

Price catches Hainsworth on Habs victory list, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Habs need to get moving on the power play, by Pat Hickey

Drewiske has become the forgotten Hab, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Hickey on Hockey notebook, by Pat Hickey

Subban scores OT winner against Sens, by Pat Hickey

Price saves the day, by Pat Hickey

Senators criticize Subban’s OT goal celebration, TSN.ca

Good effort, bad result for Senators, Ottawa Citizen

A seven nation army, Canadiens.com

Parros to cut hair for charity, Canadiens.com

Leafs place Clarkson, McLaren on injured reserve, torontomapleleafs.com

1. Eddie says:

If the Habs needed a 4th line center, may I suggest Michael Bournival. In case you guys have forgotten who he is, he’s a lightning fast skater, has a first class work ethic, tremendous hockey IQ and instincts, both defensively and offensively. He’s really a fabulous prospect!

He played center in major junior consistently. He’s a terrific center!

Other than the fact that he shoots left, he puts Nattinen to shame in every other skill. It’s not even close.

None of what you are saying can be disputed. Perhaps MT recognizes this skillset and would rather have Bournival with higher talented players on one of the top 3 lines and let Nattinen skate on the 4th line with Moen and Parros or Prust and Parros.

• scotland says:

i watch the bulldogs all the time….and you are 100% correct in that comparison eddie. nattinen could not tie bournivals skates.

if mt has only 6 minutes a night for bourniaval (when he is not in press box) have no idea where he will place this recent call up.

nattinen is a decent ahl player. good character team player. will not get more than a few minutes a game with mt.

• Maksimir says:

Practice line from today:

Bournival-Briere-Prust

I’d like to see what these guys can do together… got some speed-skill-toughness on one line.

2. Psycho29 says:

Boone texted me that we need to get the post count up, so here goes:

Tim Hunter calls for ban on fighting…

Personally I think he’s talking through his nose ;-)

3. Hobie Hansen says:

It’s good to be lucky sometimes! What a game last night! People in my office here in Ottawa what to punch me then PK Subban in the face lol. Loving it!

I’ve been spamming everyone with the OT goal and celebration!

• Habs4LifeInTO says:

stay strong! GHG!

24 cups and counting….

• CJ says:

Yes! Nice! Enjoy it my friend. Today is a very, very good day! I have both kids in their Canadiens clothing. The lucky PJ’s worked again!

• B says:

Montreal has lost games this season where they outplayed the other team but hit a hot goalie. Ottawa has won games they didn’t deserve due to hot goaltending. It happens and it was good for the Habs to be on the right side of it last night. 2 points is 2 points. Also nice to see Subban pot the winner and good to see him so proud of the crest on his chest.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Mavid says:

wonderful HH take one for the team..they are pretty quiet in my office..execpt for one knob…but no worries I straightened him out

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• scotland says:

after price pk is the best talent on the team. but he could learn from markov and carey how to win and not jump around like a junior who just won gold.

it was a ot winner in mid january, a game where the team worst team won.

cudos to he and plekanic for pointing out repeatedly that carey won the game. (although EVERYONE knew all game long that carey was the only canadien that brought a full effort……..again.

4. shiram says:

Dave StubbsVerified account ‏@Dave_Stubbs

To my Finnish followers: #Habs equipment manager Pierre Gervais & crew will have the umlaut over the a on Nättinen’s jersey nameplate

That’s so metal of them!

5. CJ says:

I like the call ups. I see, based on my twitter feed that they might just be insurance against the flu, which has fallen two more victims. I was really hoping that they would push a forward and defenceman to the press box. Appears that my thinking might have been entirely wishful.

Here’s to hoping.

6. krob1000 says:

I like the Eller with BRiere and Bournival…might generate some offense out of Briere now….

7. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Nattinen has some size. If he’s a checking centre, you figure having Moen on Pleks’ line becomes redundant. I’m guessing here, but bringing him up seems to signify that they want less defensive pressure on Pleks so he can provide offence. So why put Moen on his wing?

Nothing against the idea of Moen being there and them acting as a shutdown line…they were brilliant in Chicago. But doesn’t make sense if they are giving that role to someone else (or hoping anyway)

• CJ says:

Good points. Pleks is always going to play a 200 ft game though. The fact that he still produces offensively, while remaining defensively responsible speaks to the quality of player we have.

8. Habsrule1 says:

I think it’s funny that we not only question every move made by MT, but we question the fact there are no call-ups, then question the call-ups. It makes me wonder if MT & MB know any part of their jobs more than everyone here seems to.

They must have just done really well in their interviews.

Go Habs Go!!

9. DipsyDoodler says:

Parros and Orr have both been concussed this year. Orr recently and Parros on two occasions.

Parros hasn’t com close to dropping the gloves since his return.

Carlyle and Therrien should meet Reagan-Gorbachev style and just agree to sit both players.

10. Bash says:

Pac Des Gal
    Moe Pleks Gio
    Bournival Ell Bri
    Pru Natt Parr
    Bor

Sub Gor
    Mar Eme
    Bea Mur
    Diaz

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

11. CJ says:

Reading that some of the team has the flu. Although it’s no excuse, it would help to explain what happened last night.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Hey that’s what I was saying on the live blog.

I know we have problems, but last night was well beyond anything we’ve seen this season. The entire team was zombified.

It was reminiscent of those playoff games against the Caps in 2010.

• Habcouver says:

I’m beginning to think we will never be privy to what really happened or happens. Even 24CH must be edited.

As for yesterday, I’m happy we won and Pricey quieted a lot of doubters.

Waiting patiently for #25

• Mavid says:

After seing the call up’s I was thinking the same thing..not really and excuse…it happens..I am of the feeling that its not that the Sens were that good, its that we were that bad, there is no doubt we are the better team…as a matter of fact I had to remind a Sens fan today

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

12. The Jackal says:

First things first. Suck it Sens fans, and every one else who complains about PK. One of the best players in the world put your team away after being booed all night, boo hoo indeed b**ches!

Second, and more the point of this post.
    After last night, I think it is say to say what kind of team we are working with.
    The boys showed a lot of character to hang in, come back, and then win in OT – good on them. MB (and MT, but we can exclude him :P ) has done a good job of changing the culture and he has transformed the team into one that battles through adversity from one that folds like a cheap lawn chair.
    The Habs truly are improving and doing so for the long-term. While our FA signings have been mediocre (only looking back, not at the time), MB has made some other good moves to help the team, primarily that of drafting well and also signing Mr. Waite.
    Like Bwoar said below, we pay Carey Price 6.5 million because we expect him to be great, and he has been revelation this season – we are set in net.

As has been noted, our trouble spots are scoring and the D.
    Some note that we scored more last season because of the swarm system but I think that’s way too simple an explanation that omits the fact that the same system was countered easily and nullified the scoring 5 on 5. The issue here is that we lost about 70 or potential goals from last season to this one. Ryder’s 30 odd goals are gone; Gionta’s scoring has taken a dive; Gally’s role this season has seen his production go down; Bourque is invisible; and Galchenyuk is not making up for that lost ground (nor should that be on him, just noting he can’t score enough to make it up). In other words, we have a couple of passengers and some vets whose time is up with the Habs.
    The team needs to let them go, including Briere, and try to acquire Moulson, maybe even Kane if there is a good trade for both parties, and look into other moves.

On the D side, Markov and PK are the only reliable guys we have.
    Gorges is a good guy but he is relied on too much. He is a perfect 6 and ideally he is used in that role – 5 or 6 on the third pairing and the PK. Emelin is good as well but he is not the answer to our problems. Gorges and Emmy seem to be the only 2 guys we can justify playing – Diaz, Cube, and Murray have contributed but they are not what this team needs to move forward. What’s the answer? Ideally we get help from our top prospects. If Beaulieu or Tinordi can graduate to the big club, that should help out. A good signing or short-term measure may as well.

So all in all we have a team that is transitioning from ok to good to great. We are between ok and good. MB has done well so far but there is obviously more work to be done. I’m glad he is being patient and not trying to rush our prospects or panic into signings.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

13. DipsyDoodler says:

I would like to see Frankie B play tomorrow; he is actually not as bad as people think, especially when rested.

14. jon514 says:

I feel bad for Patteryn an Ellis. 2 solid prospects playing respectable defensive hockey. Nothing against Beaulieu, but I would have called up someone with a solid plus minus.

“Marc Bergevin was waiting for Carey Price after the game to congratulate him. #canadiens”

If I am Carey Price I am telling my GM to get his sh!t together and get players and coaches that belong in the NHL.

• mount royal says:

I think that the word I would choose would be `ridiculous`rather than `awesome`. He likes numbers? Well, check back to autumn and gives us the percentage of those experts who predicted that Montreal would be in a solid third place at this time of the year. Give the number of the times that MB stated that this was the year for the cup. If it above Zero, someone is fibbing. The team according to everyone in the organization , is still building. You don`t change that by waving a magic wand and getting Crosby to replace Murray. You do the best with what you have and you build the team up one step at a time. This they are doing, very successfully and they are doing it in competition with 25 other teams trying to do it better . So, I say hats off to this team and to its organization and for impatient fans…take a deep breath, chill out and just enjoy the game.

• Strummer says:

There’s nothing ridiculous about the data.
        We can’t score 5 on 5 and Murray is marginal at best.

______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion- I could be wrong”

I did see Bourke not playing last night, but I missed Briere out there last night gliding. Did he even dress???

17. Ron says:

Eller and Diaz not at practice today (flu). Murray not there either.

I don’t like to take advantage of other people’s misfortune BUT the Toronto Maple Leafs have shelved two of their bigger bodies, placing forwards David Clarkson and Frazer McLaren on injured reserve today. Along with Smith and Bolland, that means they will be short four players.

So… no trade? Just a little shakeup?

20. --Habs-- says:

Bet MT sits Plex and PK!

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

21. shiram says:

This hit : http://i.minus.com/ibgmIsrH3d7OS0.gif

no suspension
    Seems to me to be leaping and targeting the head.

• --Habs-- says:

Na! All chest with a lot of embellishment. Head wasn’t even touched while eh looks like his head was shot out of a cannon.

“Habs” Watch and learn….! Or Not!

• mksness says:

nah nah nah. you know it’s a man’s game and physical and that’s a unfortunate hockey play but the other guy isn’t that type of player…

i’m with you that’s a head shot

• mksness says:

gezzz, i guess okay but what about the rest of the flag on the mask lol

• DipsyDoodler says:

“The reference from the U.S. Constitution is seen by the IOC as “propaganda” promoting the United States over other countries,”

Are they serious?

The US Constitution is propaganda? I wonder if Putin had a hand in this.

• 24 Cups says:

Propaganda. I wonder how Putin would say that in Russian.

He’s the second scariest guy on the planet next to that nutbar that runs North Korea.

• The Jackal says:

I think Putin is scarier, if only because he is trained in military CQC and was high up in the KGB. That guy is probably very good at torturing. Kim Jung Un probably gets someone to do the torturing for him while he eats imported Krispy Kreme donuts.

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Unreal, a horrible decision but I’m not surprised. I mean these are the same people who brought the Olympics to the one of the most scariest regions on the planet.

Sigh, bad location.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

22. zephyr says:

beaulieu was a defensive liability last time. great offensive gifts but not so great in our end plus he’s only a middleweight. who’s gonna sit for him? diaz? this team needs murray on the ice. nb is an upgrade over diaz but we need a guy to pair with subban.
    nattinen? really? the best he’ll do is not hurt us. how can anyone be serious in the nhl & play at 187 lbs? for his height, he should’ve muscled up to 210 at least. it’s not like he’s gretzky. blunden would be better.
    I’d have rather seen pateryn up or tinordi.

23. Chester says:

I thought a Gordie Howe hat trick was a goal, a fight and an elbowing penalty.
    Go Habs

24. Et le but says:

Believe it or not, there is only 1 team in our division with more points over their last 10 games than the Habs, who have recorded 12 points in their last 10. It’s the Senators with 16.

Either we are not as bad as many think we are or very fortunate to be playing in the Atlantic division.

Discuss….

25. C-Sword says:

I thought Price’s best performance was against the Lightining last November, but he was great last night as well.

Good god, the team was awful in the 2nd period. All they did was lying down on the ice trying desperately to block the shots. Diaz has no place in this team.

Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn are the future.

26. Psycho29 says:

Why is a young Stephen Harper holding a hockey stick in that picture???

27. 25 while im alive says:

Would be good if posters could add name of player commenting on instead of saying he. Just a thought.

28. 25 while im alive says:

Will parrots and Orr fight again Saturday

So… Beaulieu is called up because?… Have I missed an injury update somewhere?

• Cardiac says:

Does indifference count as an injury?

- Jerry Maguire

• We all saw it, the Habs need help moving the puck forward from the defensive zone, the fact the Bergevin called him up shows at least he’s thinking in the right direction.

If it doesn’t work then oh well, try something else out, but man oh man please don’t sit there (GM) and let what happened last night happen again. That was horrible in the 2nd.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

30. 25 while im alive says:

Beaulieu is a exciting player but I think tinordi’s grit could be an asset

• Try this first, then try Tinordi next, and so on. But the Habs need help breaking out, so Beaulieu (I’ve seen very little oif him) has more upside when it comes to transition.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• CJ says:

Agreed. Hopefully this opens the gate. It will be up to the prospects to force management’s hand by earning ice time and progressively more responsibility. As the trust among the coaching staff builds, so will there responsibilities.

The future starts now. Let’s hope they can stick, because I do believe both players can help to upgrade our existing roster.

• I don’t know anything about the call ups. Someone said a few days ago that an NHL organization can only move players back and worth “x” amount of times. I never heard of that and I stopped playing EA Hockey in the 90′s…OK that’s a lie, I stopped three years ago when my boy started to kick my butt every single game :lol:

Anyway, I hope Marc Bergevin makes moves weekly until the offensive gets it!

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• B says:

Hasn’t Pateryn been the best D in Hamilton so far this season? It seems they are looking for particular roles like rushing defenceman and 4th line checking center.

–Go Habs Go!–

31. B says:

Tim Bozon and the Kootenay Ice vs the Regina Pats is on Sportsnet tonight. Also a good chance to see the top rated prospect for this June’s draft in Philly. After a slow start in Kamloops this season, Bozon is warming up and has 36 points in 33 games since being traded to Kootenay. He has 6 goals and 4 assists in his last 6 games.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

Looking forward to seeing him play. I haven’t watched him, highlights aside, this season. He is starting to heat up, as you’ve noted. Hopefully the best is still ahead.

32. Gerry H says:

Interesting call-ups. I hope Beaulieu is in to replace a woefully struggling Raphael Diaz and not an injured Emelin. Is it me or has Diaz’s skating tanked? Did his coaches never teach him to push out to the side and not to the back? Beaulieu’s speed alone would solve a lot of the problems the Habs have on the back end these days.

Matty talked about the defensive zone gaps that open up for the Habs when the forwards are over-invested in transitioning to offence. The incredible number of high slot opportunities they’ve been giving opponents lately is a direct result of this, I think. The worst offender, in my book, has been Pacioretty. Last night, there were at least two occasions I noted where he failed to stay with his man as the latter moved in toward the slot, stopping skating and just reaching ineffectually with his stick instead. That’s cheating. There is no question that a fast transition game was a big part of the Habs’ higher scoring early in the current and previous seasons, but that transition game can’t come at the expense of responsible defensive zone coverage. Keep moving your feet, Max. Everywhere.

Third quick thought: Poor Rene Bourque. I know its dangerous to psychoanalyze from a distance, but I think this man is utterly defeated. I dislike the anger thrown his way, because, overall, I think he has typically worked his a** off. The exception, lately, has been when he turns the puck over (which is happening routinely), at which point you can almost see the energy draining out of his body. His confidence seems completely shot. He’s gone from struggling to score to being almost incapable of receiving even a well-placed pass. There is no type of player more reliant on healthy self-confidence than a sniper, and Bourque is a sniper. Not a Pacioretty or Bobby Ryan level sniper, but a sniper none the less, consistently good for 25 or so goals a year by leaning on his speed, quick release and accurate shot. When those guys stop believing the puck will go in the net, that’s exactly what happens – it doesn’t go in the net. I think the reason MT has given him lots of rope, including PP time of late, is the hope that he can break out and rebuild that confidence. But matters only appear to be getting worse. It’s a pity, because the habs really need those 25 goals and I don’t think Bourque currently has any trade value. Even though it won’t save cap space, maybe he needs a stint with the Dogs to get his mojo back?

• Forum Dog says:

The forwards not coming back is not over-investing in offense. It is simply not working hard enough on the other side of the puck. Pacioretty is guilty of it, Bourque is guilty of it, Eller is guilty of it at times. There are a number of Habs wingers (and centres) who stop skating as soon as they hit their own blueline. If it is because they think they are gonna get a quick pass and head off on a breakaway, they are mistaken. As Therrien said once, “this isn’t summer hockey”. Centres need to come all the way back to the slot, and wingers need to make sure no d-men or loose forwards are able to drift in from the side wall or points. That is hockey 101.

33. Sportfan says:

Not sure if I read it right but it seems that Latendresse is working for RDS now? If so you have to kind of feel bad for this guy I mean he’s only 26 and out of the NHL.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• I feel bad for him too. He had all the tools to make it but 1, he was rushed into the NHL, and 2, concussions can change your life forever (I think that was his major injury but don’t remember).

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• B says:

At least with somewhere around $10M in NHL salary from his short career there, he should be very comfortable financially. How many folks suffer serious life altering injuries or concussions without having to worry about how to pay the bills going forward? Things could be much worse for young Gui.

–Go Habs Go!–

• I bet he would trade every dime he has to be healthy…I am speaking form experience :)

Shane Oliver
          Twitter @Sholi2000
          Custom Sports Figures
          Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• B says:

I wasn’t talking about either or, I was lamenting the unfortunately large number of folks who suffer both without much choice in the matter. Nothing personal, I am not trying to trivialize concussions, but I still think there are way too many folks out there with more problems to face than Latendresse.

–Go Habs Go!–

• shiram says:

He was cut from his Swiss league team back in November.
      He had been concussed again.

If he did land a job there, good for him.

34. Propwash says:

In other news, Latendresse is now working for RDS.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

35. JF says:

Talk about a Jekyll and Hyde team. Against the Stanley Cup champions, the Habs play a superb game, 60 minutes of hard work and laying it all on the ice; against the Devils, they wilt after the disallowed goal; and against the Senators, they are completely dominated and play the worst second period of the season.

It’s clear that without Price and an excellent penalty kill, we would not be a playoff team, would probably in fact be a lottery team. We are competitive against teams that rely on speed and puck possession, but are regularly dominated by teams that play a grinding, physical game, relying on hitting and intimidation and on taking away time and space.

I refuse to believe that Marc Bergevin does not see this at least as clearly as the rest of us. The Habs will probably make the playoffs barring a catastrophic collapse or massive injuries. We may even win a round, although I think this is unlikely; but that’s it.

This being the case, I can’t see Bergevin making any big moves at the trade deadline. He won’t be dealing assets for expensive bandaids to paper over the cracks in the hope of a longer playoff run. Remember last season? The French media were all over him as the deadline approached to improve the team, urging that a chance like this did not come along often. Bergevin made only one small depth move and, asked about his hopes for the rest of the season, said he wanted the team to make the playoffs. Period. I think he realized that the Habs were simply not built to withstand four rounds of playoff hockey. I think he realizes the same thing this year.

On the other hand, he might be a seller at the deadline. If he can get anything for Brian Gionta, who almost certainly will not be back next year, he should do it. And he should try to shop Raphael Diaz, who has been disappointing offensively. There might be a market for a third-pairing, puck-moving defenceman. And it’s time our young prospects on defence were given a chance to make their place.

As for Rene Bourque, it’s difficult to see any team wanting him but equally difficult to imagine the Habs improving their offensive production while he occupies a top-nine spot. Every few games he looks involved, puts on a couple of bursts of speed, and hits the post. Then vanishes. He seems to have the physical tools to be a productive player, but uses them only occasionally. The mental tools on the other hand…. One way or another, Bourque has to go.

Wrote this post for the last thread but for some reason, it wouldn’t post, so here it is (I hope). Glad to see Beaulieu called up. Don’t know enough about Nattinen, but it should be interesting.

• You know it!
      It isn’t Marc Bergevin will not make moves, it’s, Marc Bergevin can’t.
      In Chicago they had players that were movable and the organization was able to capitalize on building a Stanley Cup winner. Unfortunately in Montreal we just don’t have players that we can move for assets. SO I as a fan will take these wins, celebrate and wait for the next stinker, then I’ll wait and celebrate the next win. It sucks, but Bergevin said it day one, build through the draft. So we are looking at what? Three-five years again, but that’s hockey.

You just know Bourque, Gionta, and Moen are listed in his players he can move without shaking up the team too much. Maybe add Diaz, and heaven forbid Pleks.

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures
      Summit Member 1.29.31.33

• aroma says:

Moen and Gionta are not part of the problem although the latter is no longer a top six forward. There is a serious dearth of scoring ability on offence and some definite holes on D (Emelin’s poor season is not helping). But Bourque and Briere – part of the problem. DesH automatically having wingers that Eller can only dream of – part of the problem. Moen and Gionta still make things happen, win puck battles, play good defence. I wouldn’t look to them as moveable parts just yet.

36. ClutchNGrab says:

About Subban always being criticized.

My favorite quote from Gainey. In a few sentence he summarized a lot.

Not the first time I post this, but not the last.

• arcosenate says:

That was great. People should shut up.

• Forum Dog says:

Thanks for that. There are a lot of people who hate him, but to me Gainey is one of the most important Canadiens Alumni of his generation. A Hall of Fame player, an excellent coach, and a very good manager. He made his mistakes in Montreal, no question, but all managers do. When he came in in 2003 the organization was in shambles. He quickly put them back in the playoffs and rebuilt the pipeline of talent. There were some obvious misses, but he left the organization in better condition than he found it.

One of the more articulate hockey men out there. He nailed it with Subban, and it still applies 3 years later.

37. arcosenate says:

Strangely there are no Joonas Nattinen high light packages on the internet, but I found this:

38. Sportfan says:

According to tsn David Clarkson and Frazer McLaren have been put on the IR!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

Looks like Phaneuf’s hat is creating a big stir than the one PK was sporting a week or so back.

40. Ron says:

James Mirtle just tweeted that Dave Clarkson and Fraser McLaren have both been placed on IR. Thats 2 tougher players out of their line up for Saturdays game. Thats a plus.

Clarkson was just starting to play better as well. Wow I knew the Leafs gave a great deal of term to the guy, but I thought the first few years he would be excellent for them, has had a rough start with the weeds.

This makes Parros life much better, I think George can handle Orr, but Mclaren is a wild card, big tall heavyweight.

Prust also doesn’t have to have a go with Clarkson either, which is good.

Thanks for the update Ron.

• Ron says:

I think Clarkson took a puck to the foot during the Buff game. I think McLaren got injured in his fight with Thornton in the Boston game. Both injuries are a plus for us. As you said it makes player insertion in the lineup a bit better.

• Sportfan says:

Darn you beat me to it lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. krob1000 says:

I like the call ups…they wanted a puck mover and some speed to helpoout the back end…but wanted a big bodied, better defensive forward to help out….makes sense. He is also a righty and the team has NO big righties in the lineup….rigthies are currently gio, Gally and Briere….also makes a diff in the dzone as NHlers will pick apart dzones that are all lefty or righty as the sticks are on one side and it leaves seems and dictates how players go out and challenge a shooter or puck carrier. rare are the guys like Pleks or Gio who are nearly equally adept picking off or breaking up passes on their forehand or backhand. NAttinen may get some draws as a righty too.

42. twilighthours says:

CJ, no need to have a go at Eddie. While he is as forcefully opinionated as they come, he also is one of our most knowledgeable hockey posters. He’s seen most or all of the players we have in our system, and he’s seen these players more than most of us. His opinion is anything but uninformed. Just an FYI for ya. Keep on truckin, dog.

43. frontenac1 says:

Peluso asks McGrattan for a dance last night. Gratts obliges and remains undefeated this season. At 24 yrs ,Peluso is learning the trade and will emerge in a few years as a contender imo.

44. Cardiac says:

Just looking at some goalie stats this morning… Holy caca is Ben Bishop good this season. Sens put all their eggs in the Anderson basket and they might one day regret it.

If the season ended today, he would probably be the odds-on favorite for the Vezina. But there are so many other elite goalies and strangely enough all their stats are similar… Anything can change!

Your thoughts?

- Jerry Maguire

• Sportfan says:

Anderson isn’t a young goalie, I think they blew it by letting big ben go!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• The_Truth says:

Sens are fine. They didn’t trade Bishop because of anderson, but Robin Lehner, who has played great this season and will be a top goalie in the league very soon.

@Cardiac, Yes for sure Bishop would be the Vezina winner if the season ended today.

• mksness says:

Ben bishop has been moved a few times. The knock on him was despite his size he somehow played very small. tampa is playing much better defensively too and he has improved his positioning as well; thus some nice numbers.

I’ve always been a big Quick fan. i know LA plays some serious D but quick is one of the most aggressive/athletic goalies in the league and i find him very fun to watch.

45. twilighthours says:

Joonas Nattinen! Back from the dead.

I don’t want to be a negative nelly, but this just doesn’t excite me.

46. Habs1962 says:

Was at the game. PK is Great !! 4 or 5 guys played well.. Price #1 of course. We need to play 60 minutes against every team !Sportsnet Lady (Sens TV) referred to PK “taunting the crowd” she should have been at the game… 12000 loyal HABS FANS cheering and singing PK PK PK … he was saluting the loyal HABS fans in Ottawa and the Quebec side ! Good for him ! Go Habs GO

47. naweed235 says:

Anyone care to shed some light on what to expect from this Joonas Nattinen

48. Habs1962 says:

PK is Great !! I was at the game with my son with our HABS sweaters as well as 12000 more Habs fans !
    We were chanting PK and cheering when he grabbed the CH twice and saluted the Canadiens fans !
    Excellent that he acknowledged us ! We were in the 300 section and he was lookin right at us ! in our minds lol
    Sens fans are crying loud about it. very young and new and not hockey wise fan base !
    GO HABS !

49. Steeltown Hab says:

The Eller on the wing experiment is soooo stupid, we need to leverage his 200-ft ability in the middle and he’s never thrived on the wing.

I don’t have a huge issue with Desharnais staying on this team long term if he’s shift from the middle because his D game is so weak.

Pacioretty – Eller – Desharnais
    Bournival – Plek – Gionta
    Bourque / Acquisition – Galchenyuk – Gallagher

Works short term and long term

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• bwoar says:

I think Max-David Patcharnais making 8M a year is gonna stay together.

“thoroughbred”

• aroma says:

I like the idea behind your lines although I don’t think DesH will end up ever on the wing, plus Galchenyuk is out and may well not play center until next season. For now, I’d like to see DesH center a third line with two wingers picked from Moen/Prust/Briere/Bourque. MaxPac with Plek. Bournival/Eller/Gallagher. That’s what I’d love to see.

50. Maksimir says:

Does anyone have any real intel on Nattinen – ie: faceoff %, hits, fights? All prerequisites for 4th line duty.

51. Maksimir says:

Nattinen = Moar Bigger! How can we lose with him in the lineup?

52. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Guessing Nattinen is a defensive center, thus the callup?

• 24 Cups says:

Basically. As well, I can’t see Murray sitting out against Toronto. After all, that’s why he is here. The D pairings should be interesting. So many lefties. I figure Parros has to dress as well. Based on last night, Briere seems to be the logical scratch. I don’t think MB mentioned his name once during the entire game.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Parros should sit, like who cares he can’t skate, toughness hasn’t been our issue, we’re just gross out there Parros not helping.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• 24 Cups says:

Parros and Murray are here to neutralize Toronto’s thugs. Not many of us like it but that’s the reality of today’s NHL.

The good news is that it basically turns the laffs into a three line team.

• bwoar says:

It does the same to the Habs.

“thoroughbred”

• 24 Cups says:

True, but with Toronto they lose two players, we only lose one.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I am not sure Toronto will be thugging it up on Saturday.

McLaren got hurt in a fight with Thornton and is out. Orr got completely pummeled by John Erskine, and missed a game or two. And that other guy Carter Ashton is a punching bag in the Nevin Markwart category (blast from the past – who remembers him?).

But I am sure we will play at least Parros and probably Murray as well.

• frontenac1 says:

You like seeing our Lads get bitch slapped?

53. Steeltown Hab says:

Hopefully they both suit up vs Toronto

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

I believe it was last year MB made a point regarding Beaulieu that some players games are better suited for the NHL (as opposed to the AHL). I think we will see a better Beaulieu tomorrow than we saw the last time he was up. (of course my glass is half full….Barkeep – Can I get another half please?)

• Habfan10912 says:

He’d have better improved his defensive game otherwise, look out. That said he has major skills.

Kooch? Your thoughts on the 2 callups, bud?

• BJ says:

I’ve watched quite a few Bulldogs games. He has amazing speed and offensive smarts. He needs to be 2nd paired on the PP. Nattinen has looked good in the last 5-6 games, some speed with size, how he’ll do at the NHL level, I have no idea…..

• Eddie says:

Beaulieu has electric skating ability even by NHL standards. He is as good a skater as we have. For that reason alone, I would love to see him get a real shot, 10 or so games, and lets see what he can do.

Defensively? His decision making without the puck has been surprisingly bad. He loses his man. He takes the wrong man. He chases too much. That what he was working on in Hamilton.

• Kooch7800 says:

Hey Jim,

Hope you are well bud. Nattinen is a big guy who plays very well defensively and is very responsible. Don’t expect much on the offensive side though.

Beaulieu’s game has picked up lately and his confidence is showing. He is an upgrade on Diaz big time. He will be an NHL regular next year. I would like to see Pateryn up and given a shot as he is playing really well in the AHL this year and is even playing physical.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• shiram says:

It worked for Gallagher, who had only about 20 points in 36 games before he got a call-up.
      I found it interesting that Leblanc has very similar as Brendan had when he was called up.

• Eddie says:

I think it might be over for Louis Leblanc in this town, which is regrettable. He’s a real fine young man. His family is first class. But he does not seem to fit well with Therrien and Bergevin.

I still think he can be a 3rd line, 40 point player. I think he showed that ability 3 seasons ago before his ankle injury.

• shiram says:

I agree and it is a shame, he does seem like an intelligent and well mannered local kid.
          I do wish they would give him more of chance, if it is over, might as well try to raise his stock.

• Mattyleg says:

Do you think that LL has the mental fortitude?

I see another Pouliot/Bourque player there… skills but mentally fragile.

You’ve probably seen him more than me. What you think?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• mksness says:

LL is just not that good. he hasn’t ever torn up any league he has been in. he was projected as a 3rd liner. however, that’ under the assumption you continue to improve. so injuries might have hurt his progress but even with the injuries he hasn’t really been impressive. he’s a depth player now for the habs/farm system.

• Habitoban says:

For the record, Benny has six goals and eight assists in his last 20 games with NYR.

• Mattyleg says:

Habitoban; that’s nice to hear, always liked the guy, but (a) what are his totals like before that, and (2) will he be able to keep that pace up?

…if you get my drift.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habitoban says:

Benny had a very slow start in NY (change of scene? Benny being Benny?), so we will see if he disappears again. Seems to have found good chemistry with his linemates… the same linemates that he has had for weeks now. Imagine… the same linemates! Coach is happy with his strong physical play. He also spends his pp time in the blue paint to good effect.

• Luke says:

Half Full?
      Half Empty?
      Just. Keep. Pouring.

The headmaster just stated on radio that he could possibly see PK Subban signing short term so that he could then hit the stratosphere as an UFA once the cap takes a quantum leap. Makes sense to me.

He mentioned this is what other agents were telling him. I thought Boone did well.

• Mike Boone says:

To be honest (which I try to be as as often as possible), I got that agent consensus second-hand from a beat writer friend. The only agents I know are real estate agents (and drug dealers … but I digress).

Mike Boone
        Hockey Inside/Out blogger

Are you really Rob Ford in disguise?

• 24 Cups says:

There is some talk out there that the next wave of big signings will eclipse the 7-9M mark. Once the cap starts to really escalate, there will be contracts in the 10-13M range. Stamkos will set the bar for forwards. Once he does, then a guy like Subban could ride Stamkos’ coattails and get a 10+M contract. It’s not that far-fetched. PK’s agent is probably looking at the next two contracts, not just the upcoming one.

• Eddie says:

The fact that he would consider becoming a UFA does not disturb you when every other star player these days, core players, are being signed long term?

If Boone is right and Subban signs short term and goes UFA is that not a disaster for us?

If that occurs, then MB looks to make a trade. Out of lemons come lemonade Ed. :)

• 24 Cups says:

Eddie – I didn’t necessarily mean UFA in terms of going on the open market. It would be more a case of Subban aligning his contract term so that when he is close to free agency he could then go for an eight year Hab deal at the highest possible rate of return. Right now he’s looking at 8,5M short term. In a few years, he might be able to get 10.5M for 8 years. That would basically give him 100M for 10 years.

56. olegpetrov says:

Why is it that Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Spezza, Marleau etc etc etc can all jump against the glass, celebrate their goals and be happy about winning a game but when Subban does it, he’s rubbing it in the opposing teams faces. The guy scored an OT goal in brilliant fashion in a game that they weren’t supposed to win. It’s not just the organization that is getting on Subban, it’s everybody. Why can’t players celebrate goals? Especially exciting goals.

Habs fan…Nuff said

57. Sportfan says:

Guys we can’t complain about Joonas Nattinen he’s 6’3 so he gets a pass for a few days :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

58. krob1000 says:

RE PK…WOW…just wow…to hear fans at the game was disgusting. MAybe just the folks surrounding me…many Ott fans but many HAb fans. They all were cosntantly barkign at or about PK…he waas harassed all night by Conacher and they claimed ti was the other way around. They criticized his every decsions and blamed him even when Habs players missed great pases. They wree completely bias and he could do no wight in their eyes…was disgusting.

They were going on about PK and Turris last year…forgetting eh million times Sens players have went after HAbs skilled guys. Unreal bias…I know I am bias the other way but nothing like this..completely unfounded…there was one hAbs fan beside me who blamed PK for having to circle back when no forward was open or he was waiting for a linechange to be completed..then PK hits a guy streaking up the middle right on the stick sure fire breakaway…pass fumbled..and PK’s fault? was insane

• arcosenate says:

They’re not complaining about Price playing his ass off last night they’re complaining about PK’s celebration after the OT goal.

You boo a guy relentlessly everytime he touches the puck and he scores the winning goal in OT, he gets to celebrate.

He can have his celebration catered at centre ice after all the abuse in my opinion.

PK’s just better than most other players in the NHL, deal with it.

• mksness says:

PK is our best player in my eyes. so opposing fans want to boo and get under his skin; well they try. there is no one in this league as a GM or fan who wouldn’t want him on their team.

59. Sportfan says:

HEY LOOK WE FINALLY MADE CALLUPS!

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

60. krob1000 says:

excited to see beaulieu

61. CJ says:

Hamilton play by play announcer Derek Willis has some very positive feedback for both players over the current winning streak. I’m looking forward to seeing them both in action. Go Habs!

62. jrs10069 says:

bourque is a f’n joke. The fact that he’s not getting waived is totally amazing. Just pull the plug already

jrs10069

• CJ says:

Salary cap implications are too great. I am sure they are still hoping to explore a trade opportunity, although they will need to take salary back. The new CBA doesn’t allow you to hide a one way contract in the minors. His cap hit will count.

Those who want to hear Boone on radio shortly.

64. Eddie says:

Natinnen is not an NHL player.

• Mattyleg says:

Not until he wears the CH, he’s not!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habsrule1 says:

Can he play a game before we shred the guy?

Go Habs Go!!

• CJ says:

Glad to have your insight. Would you care to tell us more about each of our prospects? I’d love to know who will make it and who won’t.

While you’re at it, will I enjoy my dinner tonight? Your nonsensical feedback is welcomed.

• Eddie says:

Hey CJ, right back at you buddy. “Nonsensical feedback”. Wow!

I’ve been giving my nonsensical feedback for about 5 years on this site.

If you don’t like my posts, you can just skip past them.

If you want to start insulting me, you can expect the same.

• CJ says:

Guy, you are so negative it’s painful. I respect and appreciate your insight, but can you please refrain from the constant negativity. Let’s wait at least for the game to be played before indicting Nattinen on charges of impersonating an NHL player. Again, my opinion is not greater then anyone else’s. I try my best to be balanced. I can be verbose and dramatic, which is a weakness, but I try and remain open to an idea until I’ve had the chance to thoroughly review it’s merits. Then, I will make a determination. For your consideration. No hard feelings. Cheers, CJ

65. bwoar says:

Glad to see management is ready to try something else out there. I really hope Emelin is OK. He finished the game last night but timing of this callup makes me wonder.

My take on last night….

For all the lacklustre play, the team that can’t score potted 4.5 goals last night! It’s not a pretty win, but after a torrent of disallowed goals, the hockey gods smiled on us last night and put home #14′s tying marker.

I was wrong in looking to move Plekanec, even though moving him makes the most sense value-wise; we’d be a lottery team without his contribution this year. I don’t want to imagine what last night would’ve looked like. Count me back on the Turtleneck Express.

Here’s a thought for all the people complaining that we’re just getting by on special teams and goaltending: We PAY for that ‘tending. We’re a team that allocates a huge amount of capspace for our tandem. But we’re getting full value for it. If we spent 3M less on goaltending, we’d have that much more to spend at forward, sure, but it’s a great position to pour money into if and when you have an elite guy playing like Price, and a solid backup as well. Other teams try to get by with the Devin Dubnyks of the world, and it’s not always pretty for them. We jump on ol’ Bob’s trade record, but regarding Price, it’s Gainey 1, Carbo 0.

Defense: out D takes up a paltry 16.5M in capspace for 8 guys, including Drewiske. It is any wonder that as a group they aren’t setting the world on fire? Managment is surely crossing their fingers that at least 2 of Pateryn, Beaulieu and Tinordi are ready next year.

Reffing: That was playoff refereeing. We should get used to games that are called that way since it’s gonna be that every night pretty soon. Some guys just aren’t gonna thrive – very nice to see the DD line, with 2 wee guys on it, can still click.

Cap Space: 4.589M as of today. I think the internal target for space going into the trade deadline is much larger than in previous years. They really, really seem to want the flexibility to be able to add players. Hopefully a defenseman and a scorer. But at what price? The CH behaves like a team not sure of its identity and wanting the flexibility to be a buyer down the line.

Heck, with Price playing this well for us, it’s hard to completely dismiss the thought.
    “thoroughbred”

• Forum Dog says:

I would honestly love it if they could find a way to get Emelin back on his natural, left side. Starting with the Lucic reverse-hit, it seems like playing the right side is forcing him to turn his body against the play to hit. It is natural for a D-man to have a lead shoulder, and that is usually the one that doesn’t hold a stick. If he is having to turn his body to get that left-hitting shoulder where it should be, he is facing the boards and opening himself up to awkward hits. Might not be possible with the plethora of left d-men that they have. Would be interesting to hear a reporter ask him whether he prefers playing on the left or right side.

• bwoar says:

I agree with you entirely. The Habs have had, in recent years, an addiction to guys playing on off-wings & wrong side defenders. But after Subban, we have Diaz and Gorges who can play there and that’s it. It’s something I hope is addressed sooner than later.

In the system we have Pateryn, Darren Dietz and Magnus Nygren (playing in SWE) that are righties, but the later two are a ways away and something is surely not correct with Pateryn for him not to getting a sniff by now.

“thoroughbred”

• Forum Dog says:

Yup, they certainly have the system stocked with righties, so that is good. You can even toss Thrower into that mix. As you say, most of them are a few years away, and that assumes that they make it at all. Seems like Pateryn and Dietz might be the closest, and I think that if Pateryn doesn’t get a shot soon he will die-on-the-vine. Guys who play in the minors until they are 25 generally stay in the minors. There are a few exceptions, but not many.

66. shiram says:

I think the team needed a true center to play on the fourth, Prust is not good enough for it, and is better used as a winger.
    Hopefully Nattinen is great at faceoffs, plays with a mean streak and is responsible in his zone…

67. Chuck says:

If Saturday’s game wasn’t in Toronto (or Buffalo) I doubt the call-ups would have happened. Easy distance from Hamilton, and it gives them a chance to experience a bit of the NHL life as a reward for playing well for the ‘Dogs.

68. sirs81 says:

I get a feeling we will see a trade today or by the end of the weekend. :D

69. aroma says:

…and the ignoring of Pateryn by the big club continues although he’s been arguably the best ‘Dog this season…

Beaulieu has played excellent the past few weeks, and I think deserves the call. Perhaps Diaz is coming out of the lineup and therefore the offensive skills of Beaulieu are specifically what is needed in the lineup. Pateryn does not have the same offensive game.

• bwoar says:

If Diaz is out, wouldn’t Pateryn make more sense? I would expect a right-handed replacement in that case.

“thoroughbred”

• Morenz7 says:

Beaulieu shoots left. His call-up makes sense given that Murray and Bouillon are the most frequent members of the taxi squad (both shoot left).

But I too would like to see Pateryn get his chance. Can’t be any worse than Diaz has been lately.

• Forum Dog says:

Haven’t followed Beaulieu’s play (or watched much of the Dogs), so I’ll take your word. The thing that makes me wonder is that they are adding another LH D-man who plays the left side, something they are already overstocked on. Obviously they have a plan in mind, but I half expected that if a D-man got the call, it would be the one they have with size and a RH shot. Be interesting to see where they slot Beaulieu in.

• Kooch7800 says:

Beaulieu does have a good offensive game but Pateryn has been playing on the PP in Hamilton and isn’t all that bad. I think he would be an upgrade on Josh Gorges.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

70. Habitoban says:

Hope this is more than “flu insurance.”

71. Thomas Le Fan says:

Fast!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

Good Moves, especially look forward to seeing Beaulieu. He has played very well of late for the Dogs.