Habs, Bruins meet for ninth time in a Game 7 (with videos)

Charaweb

For the ninth time in NHL history, the Canadiens and Bruins will square off in Game 7 of a playoff series Wednesday night in Boston (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Heading into Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series, the Canadiens had beaten the Bruins in five of the previous eight Game 7 showdowns between the teams. The winner of Wednesday night’s game advances to face the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference final.

“It’s going to be great,” defenceman P.K. Subban told reporters on the eve of Game 7. “I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Wednesday in Boston. Carey Price, Alexei Emelin and Subban elected to skip the skate. Alex Galchenyuk, still recovering from a lower-body injury, skated while wearing a no-contact jersey.

“It’s exciting right now,” Brendan Gallagher told reporters after the skate. “You grow up, you watch those Game 7s. You see the intensity and the emotion in the players’ faces. And to be a part of that tonight is going to be pretty cool.”

Added Josh Gorges: “Any time you get to a Game 7, the excitement of it never goes away. It’s a game you want to be in. You want to be playing this game. You want to be a guy that contributes and helps the team get this win.

“We’re excited as a group about the challenge tonight. It’s going to be a hard-fought game and it’s going to take everything we’ve got from every player we’ve got in this room.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

(Video by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Game 7 Preview, NHL.com

Bruins will beat Canadiens in Game 7, Boston Globe

How Bruins can beat Canadiens, Boston Globe

Chara’s legacy on the line, Boston Herald

Bruins call on experience, Boston Herald

Game 7 about no regrets, bostonbruins.com

Priest blesses Habs jerseys and Pacioretty, Stu on Sports blog

Share your Habs rituals and superstitions, montrealgazette.com

Subban leader of Habs’ youth movement, Stu on Sports blog

Rangers deserve credit, but they’ll lose Eastern Conference final, The Hockey News

1. Arnou Ruelle says:

4 hours and 30+ minutes left till puck drops and game time.

DAMMIT I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS TO HAPPEN!!

2. Ton says:

Anyone productive at work today? Tough not to think about this game!

Any game day skate reports that we can assess, rip apart and discuss?

4. Blouin says:

That picture above of Emelin and That Other Guy reminds me of that episode of The Office where Michael and Oscar are about to kiss. This is just as awkward.

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

Let’s get it done Carey I will apologize and become his fan club president if he can get it done tonight. Gold medal is okay and all but the Stanley cup is the best! 21 years of waiting. To all the Habs lets get it done! Shoot, sh*t or get off the pot!

Habs fan period. (No hyphens)

5. Hobie says:

I’ve been good all through the playoffs but today is a killer. I’m looking at the clock every two minutes!!!! This day is just dragging man!!!

6. Blouin says:

The Hockey Gods have zero impact on these games. They come for the excitement and entertainment just like the rest of us.

7. UnkleGary says:

Well folks, first off I would like to say hello to all off you wonderful fans from the Capital of the North, Prince George BC. I’ve been out here doing peice work, but a bout of tendinitis forced me to stay home from work today. I absolutely hate missing work, but I have to say that being able to watch the full game today is quite the silver lining.

I just want to put my positive vibes in the air. As nervous as I am, and whatever way this game goes, I am very proud of the present team and excited about our future. I haven’t felt this good about our Habs in a long time. There are many Leaf fans in my camp, and all of them are grudgingly pulling for the Habs. A tough but not dirty, fast, hard working team is hard not to like. Bend but not break. There is something special about them.

Thoughts on the game, I feel like it’s going to be close. if not OT, a late winner. Don’t know why but I feel like Prust might pot the winner. Either way it’s great celebrating hockey and the Habs with you guys. Enjoy the game, even if it’s watching through your fingers.

Go Habs Go!!!

CH-eers!

• SPATS says:

Nice! Ex Islander here (Victoria, Shawnigan Lake)
      Sure miss the 4pm starts!
      My neighbors here in Stittsville are both Lifetime Leaf fans and they’re pulling for us for the reasons you suggest as their young son plays and we are better role models than the B’s. Hope we can keep em cheering as we move onto the Rags.

BTW, we will win like we did against Pitts and Wash a few yrs back. It will be by a wide margin as we are Rask’s CHryptonite and he’s feeling the effects…

• UnkleGary says:

Love the Island!!! I’ve been in Victoria for a good portion of the last year, and it’s just awesome. Lot slower pace than Montreal, but you can’t turn around without seeing a beautiful beach, hiking trail or mountain peak. If you like the outdoors, I don’t know if there is a better place to be. And it’s got incredible microbreweries, you’ll never see a Bud or Labatt or tap, no room for them. I’ll be back in august, looking forward to a surf trip in Uclulet and Tofino when my season is over.

Love your optimism. I feel like Boston is gonna throw everything at us, and we will hang on. A little rope a dope. Rask will let in bad goals at bad times. I love the reference to 2010.

Enjoy the game my friends. We Habs fans have a wonderful common denominator no matter what city we are in. I remember talking Habs with a fan on a tiny beach in Nicaragua that had about ten people on it, two hours from any kind of town.

Keep Stittsville rockin tonight!!! Go Habs Go!!!

CH-eers!

• SPATS says:

Agree with you there Luke, used to hike Mt Doug every day and sure do miss it. Stittsville has nice people and my neighbor on the other side is a Habs fan but the scenery doesn’t compare

• UnkleGary says:

Mt Doug is a great hike right in the city, me and the girlfriend like getting some sushi and eating at the top. When we have more time we like Finlason, and the tressel is really cool too.
            There’s even a Habs bar dt, Smiths, that shows games on RDS. Watched game one against Tampa there, and actually won a pint calling Weisse to get the OT winner. (Saw he was your current fave).
            Nice people go a long way in a happy life, it’s great to have good neighbours. It’s too bad our country is so big when it comes to travel, but shoot me a line when your back on the island!

CH-eers!

8. Say Ash says:

Everyone who thought Dale Weise would have twice as many goals as the Golden Boy, raise your hands.

9. habs-fan-84 says:

Love this team!
    GO HABS GO!!

10. habs-fan-84 says:

Re: Bob Cole
    He makes mistakes, but I also don’t need someone to tell me what I already see. The host/commentator is there to capture the atmosphere and emotion of the game, imo no one does that better than Bob Cole.

• Hobie says:

Bob Cole is a legend. It’s pretty lame how people are so disrespectful when he screws up. I share your opinion sir. The guy is 80-something years old. Give him a break.

I think the people that laugh at him are the same that would let a door slam in an old lady’s face.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Cheers Hobie.
        As long as the colour commentator is accurate I’m fine with Bob Cole. Unfortunately, Bob’s side kicks seem to be Gary Galley and Greg Millen, ugh.

• Paz says:

I find it disturbing how people who claim they are tolerant make fun of older people or short people or fat people. I see this all the time.

Live and let live!

• JohnBellyful says:

So, a person who is no longer competent at his job is to remain employed because of his years of service and his age?
        I dread to think what kind of economy/society we’d have if this were an universal principle to be applied to all professions.
        Cole is squandering the respect he earned by performing at a level that invites ridicule. Is advanced age supposed to be some kind of shield against criticism that few would have reservations voicing if the same gaffes were being made by a person half the age?
        Applying the same logic, any coach who ever won a Stanley Cup would have a job for life with the same team.
        For the record, I do not slam doors in old ladies’ faces. And not every old lady is sweet. Or old man lovable.

I have always thought Bob Cole was a biased Leaf announcer, to me he belongs on Leaf broadcasts just as Gallivan belonged on Habs broadcasts. Regardless of Cole’s age, he was never the announcer I wanted to listen to as he represented the Leafs. I feel the same now. I will admit his voice has/had a good cadence, but his best days are behind him as a commentator. I’m also not good with doors……

• JohnBellyful says:

How come no one talks about Bill Hewitt? (Other than the fact probably most who come on this site never heard him call a game.)
            He’s the guy I listened to most growing up cuz they only showed Leaf games. Cole reminds me of him in his workmanlike approach; Hewitt’s voice was also distinctive, as is Cole’s, which can add to the excitement of the game.
            A “health issue” forced Hewitt to retire in 1981 at the age of 53, according to Wikipedia.
            Cole doesn’t have a health issue, as far as I know, and I would have no objection to his continuing to call games — if he eliminated the mistakes that are too glaring to shrug off.
            It’s not as if there are no other play-by-play announcers out there who could fill his spot.

• Chris says:

JB: When did this “growing up” thing happen? ;)

• JohnBellyful says:

Sad to say but the growing up part of my life was terminated prematurely (emphasis on the pre) sometime in the ’60s.
            The growing out part continues unabated.

• D Mex says:

He’s no Danny Gallivan – but who IS ?
        Still, he does a nice enough job and I can’t recall him taking shots at the Habs, so I’m OK with him.
        Plus, there’s always RDS !

ALWAYS Habs –
        D Mex

• B says:

Cole should have retired or been retired years ago. You may still like the way he does play by play, but there’s no need to fling a ridiculous insult at folks who don’t agree with you on that.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Chris says:

It isn’t disrespect…he simply isn’t able to do the job that he is being paid to do.

Good for him that he lasted so long. But the reality is that he has one job, to convey the action on the ice to the fans at home, and he hasn’t been doing that well for going on a decade.

Criticism of Cole’s professional ability is absolutely fair game. If Jim Hughson or Chris Cuthbert or Doc Emrick are full of mistakes and poor reads of whats going on when they call a game, they deserve to be called out as well.

If anything, I think most people would find it disrespectful to treat them differently based on their age.

• Le Jadester says:

Perhaps Dick Irvin ?
      THey did an interview with him on CBC on Monday.
      That guy is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the Habs !
      He was up in the booth with Hughson and Gally I think ?
      I was hoping for Dick to jump in there a bit…..but he didn’t ?
      The old guys are a rare commodity now a days ?
      But Ya, Bob Cole is awsome too !

Habs, OLE !

11. Habitant in Surrey says:

…HOW ??? can You dislike a Patrice Bergeron ?

…the epitomy of class

…so ‘unBear’ like

12. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

“1:2 Yahweh, how long will I cry, and you will not hear? I cry out to you “Violence!” and will you not save?” – Habakkuk

13. JohnBellyful says:

I have every confidence Price will be solid in net but hovering around at the edges is a trepidation that he will misplay the puck at some point and it could prove costly.
    I still have a bad memory of the last time these two teams met in the playoffs and one of the Bruins’ victories being keyed by a Price clearing attempt that was intercepted, resulting in a goal.
    There were at least two occasions in the last game when Price tempted fate. I would be happy to see him play conservatively when handling the puck.

14. dexterdog says:

Tony Marinaro is going to lose us this game with his non stop “bleu blanc rouge” and “he found the dogs” routine. It’s getting real tiresome and will only make for bad karma. It’s enough, I can’t listen for another second to that assclown. What an unprofessional buffoon. Give it a rest and maybe just maybe the Habs can pull it off.

• Ton says:

its a joke and all in fun…….how will he win you or lose you the game…….its played on the ice…….if anything all the foolishness takes your mind off the game.

15. Luke says:

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

Hey! Where’s Matty? Is he in Boston? He should be. What, his Vanekian Era winning streak and all that.

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

This is going to be something else…

16. coutNY says:

Finally the Avatar got loaded

• SPATS says:

Seth would be choked, I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess he’s a Bruins fan being from Providence.

But Spats highly approves! Glad Cleveland is back too!

17. VerdunHab says:

Hi Everyone, Let me first say that I’m feeling a little bit like a coward at the monent, because I’m honestly not sure if I can handle watching tonight’s game. I read one of CJ’s posts from earlier today and agree 100% with what he had to say regarding it being so much more than a game. I know that in the big picture there are so many other things far more important than the outcome, but this is all about redemption and good versus evil for me. I so badly want this team to put the Bruins and their mostly horrible fans (commentators, sports writers etc.) in their rightful place. To say I’m nervous would be an understatement. Good luck to everyone getting through tonight and I hope beyond hope that I can come on later tonight and join everyone in their happiness (and relief). Cheers & GO HABS GO!!

18. ffenliv says:

SO here’s the deal. I know I’m tempting hockey fate with this, but plans must be made. I posted a while back and got some hotel and restaurant advice. If Montreal wins tonight, and the schedule aligns properly, my wife (a Rangers fan) is willing to pop money on tickets to a game in Montreal.

Can someone tell me how the ticket-buying process works? Is there a virtual waiting room? A queue? I assume there’s usually more people than tickets!

• SPATS says:

May be very tough to come by through retail or online. Scalpers suck, so I always try kijiji.ca (online classifieds if you’re not familiar) after the tix are out. Select Quebec > Greater Montreal > Go for your location then click English (top right corner)Then look for ‘tickets’ in the buy sell column. I suggest you post a wanted ad and tell a good story, you’ll likely get some season ticket holder who can’t go to sell you some @ face value. Has worked for me (reg season tho) Of course, we all know the Habs will be facing the Rags and another ex coach in the coming days!!! Good Luck!

• ffenliv says:

Kijiji isn’t going to work. We live 6 hours away in Ontario. I don’t trust the post or a courier to get them here on time, and I’m not driving all the way to Montreal without tickets in hand.

My only real option is to get them legit when they go on sale.

• SPATS says:

fair enough, i went in reg season and expected to buy from scalpers but if you’re not going without tix in hand… Hope it works out for you.

• ffenliv says:

Me too, thanks!

If it were somewhere closer, like Toronto or Ottawa, I’d take a flyer on it and hope to get tickets.

Montreal, though, is a tank of gas in both directions, and represents a a lot general life disruption, so I’d rather not chance it.

Tell you what. YOU go get some kijiji tickets for me, if the need arises. And I’ll ‘pay’ you for them later. And by ‘pay’, I mean ‘Hey look, your shoe’s untied’, and ‘haul ass away from there’.

• Mondou6 says:

I don’t know the official route, but I think saying that tickets would be “difficult” to get would be a gross understatement.

I’ve always used StubHub for regular season tix. You pay market rate, but if you’re set on going to the game, it works.

• CJ says:

There are plenty of tickets available for purchase, but it ultimately comes down to cost. I was offered $800 for my tickets to game four against the Lightning. As a point of reference.

• ffenliv says:

For clarity’s sake, I don’t really care where in the building I am. I bought ebay tickets several years ago to some Leafs/Habs games at the ACC (obviously not in the pricey-ticket craziness of the play-ffs), and happily sat with my back against a concrete wall at the top of the rink.

A Montreal playoff game at home is an old, old, old dream. Of course, I’m not selling my house for tickets, though.

19. secretdragonfly says:

Tsk, tsk, language.

20. Marek says:

I have a feeling Gallagher is going to pop one in a tied 3rd period to take the lead

21. Ton says:

Tony Marinaro on boston radio….what a laugh.

22. WVHabsfan says:

Greenvilles goalie was a former Hans draft pick

23. Un Canadien errant says:

Vancouver TEAM 1040 is doing a poll on whether we’ll miss Bob Cole, who might have called his last game yesterday. Kind of divided audience, some saying that he’s been over the hill since 1995, the other half saying they don’t mind his many, many mistakes and hesitations and wafflings, it’s his voice that they enjoy, makes them nostalgic and all.

Lots of talk about Alain Vigneault going to the Conference Finals, and what a bad ‘trade’ Torts for AV was. Matt Sekeres insists that the dismissal of Alain Vigneault was justified, he probably wouldn’t have done much better with the Canucks this season than John Tortorella. The mistake was to hire John Tortorella, he says, not to let Alain Vigneault go.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• johnnylarue® says:

I tend to agree re: Vigneault. The Canucks were in a need of a philosophical refresh, and short of trading the entire roster (which they practically wound up doing anyway), a coaching change made sense.

But Torts? And a 5-year contract?? Hilarious.

• Say Ash says:

“What’s going on in Pennsylvania?” A modern classic!

• johnnylarue® says:

Indeed.

That said, a part of being, quote, great, unquote, is knowing when to call it quits.

Calling the Rangers’ season “over” at the end of Game 5 was… unfortunate, to say the least.

24. B says:

Mike Condon had a great 1st round for Wheeling but was not as good or consistent losing to Greenville in the 2nd round. He was out played by Greenville goalie Jason Missiaen (remember him?). All in all though, a good 1st pro season for Condon who led the ECHL in save% during the regular season.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Un Canadien errant says:

Didn’t Mr. Missiaen have a game or two in NY as a backup this year?

I thought at the time that a 6’9″ goalie gives up too much in terms of quickness, but I’m glad that he’s sticking with it, slugging it out in the minors.

25. Chris says:

Man…tough crowd.

The Ontario Hockey League announced its All-Star Teams for the 2013-14 season.

1st Team
    LW Dane Fox (Erie Otters) – 67 GP, 64 G, 107 PTS, 122 PIM
    C Scott Laughton (Oshawa Generals) – 54 GP, 40 G, 87 PTS, 72 PIM
    RW Connor Brown (Erie Otters) – 68 GP, 45 G, 128 PTS, 22 PIM
    D Aaron Ekblad (Barrie Colts) – 58 GP, 23 G, 53 PTS, 91 PIM
    D Slater Koekkoek (Windsor Spitfires) – 62 GP, 15 G, 53 PTS, 51 PIM
    G Alex Nedeljkovic (Plymouth Whalers) – 61 GP, 26-27-0-7, 2.88 GAA, 0.925 SV%, 1 SO
    Coach DJ Smith (Oshawa Generals) – 68 GP, 42-20-0-6, 90 PTS

2nd Team
    LW Michael Dal Colle (Oshawa Generals) – 67 GP, 39 G, 95 PTS, 34 PIM
    C Connor McDavid (Erie Otters) – 56 GP, 28 G, 99 PTS, 20 PIM
    RW Scott Kosmachuk (Guelph Storm) – 68 GP, 49 G, 101 PTS, 83 PIM
    D Adam Pelech (Erie Otters) – 60 GP, 9 G, 54 PTS, 46 PIM
    D Nikita Zadorov (London Knights) – 36 GP, 11 G, 30 PTS, 43 PIM
    G Matt Murray (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – 49 GP, 32-11-1-5, 2.57 GAA, 0.921 SV%, 6 SO
    Coach Kris Knoblauch (Erie Otters) – 68 GP, 52-14-2-0, 106 PTS

3rd Team
    LW Max Domi (London Knights) – 61 GP, 34 G, 93 PTS, 90 PIM
    C Sam Bennett (Kingston Frontenacs) – 57 GP, 36 G, 91 PTS, 22 PIM
    RW Nick Baptiste (Sudbury Wolves) – 65 GP, 45 G, 89 PTS, 59 PIM
    D Darnell Nurse (Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds) – 64 GP, 13 G, 50 PTS, 39 PIM
    D Matt Finn (Guelph Storm) – 66 GP, 14 G, 61 PTS, 42 PIM
    G Oscar Dansk (Erie Otters) – 42 GP, 29-9-1-0, 2.39 GAA, 0.909 SV%, 6 SO
    Coach Scott Walker (Guelph Storm) – 68 GP, 52-12-2-2, 108 PTS

Who got shafted?

Well, as a Guelph Storm fan, I’m a little surprised to see only 2 players on the list plus their coach. Matt Finn certainly deserved to be higher than 6th in the voting, given that he was the 2nd leading scoring defenceman, played huge minutes for the Storm and was a rock all season long. Finn, who was getting a lot of praise in his first couple of seasons, seems to have set the bar too high…he was all but ignored in defenceman awards this season, which is amazing given how good he was this year.

Anthony DeAngelo and Nikolay Goldobin of the Sarnia Sting are the most notable snubs. DeAngelo led all defencemen in scoring by 10 points. He was punished for being on a terrible team and probably for his suspension. Goldobin is just not getting any respect this season…he finished 7th in league scoring with nobody to play with: his 94 points beat second highest scoring forward Nick Latta (66) and third highest scoring forward Nikita Korostelev (38) by a country mile.

How in the heavens Zadorov ends up on the All-Star team despite playing only half the season is simply beyond me. He was outstanding, but this should be based on the whole season, not just the games he played.

Pelech was a good defenceman, but he wasn’t THAT good. He shouldn’t have been on any of the All-Star teams, IMO, but I guess that is why I am not a voter. There were quite a few guys that I would have taken before him.

Laughton ahead of McDavid is just stupid. In fact, I wouldn’t have put Laughton ahead of Fabbri either, but I am biased. Bennett was also better this season. That one doesn’t make much sense to me.

Overall, they got most of them right. Of those players listed, Dal Colle and Bennett are the only two that are draft eligible this summer.

26. Paz says:

In game 6, the Habs seemed to realize a key difference between the regular season and playoff Bruins; the playoff Bruins do not fight!

We ran them! They did not respond!

Minus the fighting, the Bruins are a hard working team, but not a great team. They are missing their “edge”, their advantage, their intimidation, if they are not fighting.

Habs can certainly win a 2-1 or 3-1 game tonight.

27. pete says:

Lets go habs. How meny are going to watch the game at the bell center? I moved to Manitoba so i cant that sucks. To the ones who are going have fun and have a beer for me. whoo go habs go

• Ron in Ottawa says:

It’s hard to imagine that the habs are playing in a 2nd round game 7. Two years ago they finished last and there were lots of changes. Last year they finished 2nd, but were out muscled and out bullied by the Sens Also last year people criticized MT for keeping the team locked in he defensive game. But this year, we are seeing a team in the playoffs that we didn’t see all year long: Gun and shoot, strong fore-check, lots of hits. Who knows why? was it planning on MT and MB’s part or did the players suddenly decide they were going o play their game regardless. So even if this is still a rebuilding year, and even if they lose tonight- I certainly hope they win and they should- this has set a good tone for the future. a couple of ore tweaks and we’re set for a good long run for several years. Go Habs

• GrosBill says:

I will be there.

I attended game seven vs the Pens at the Bell Centre. Great atmosphere. This also means I am 1-0 when watching at the Bell Centre for an away game :)

I will have a beer (or two) for ya. I should be easy to spot on the TV, I will be the Hab fan wearing a red jersey………

28. punkster says:

Worked for game 6…so back by popular demand.

Release the Subbang!!!

29. The Gumper says:

A little off topic here folks but, for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to upload an avatar to this site. I am reasonably adept with computers but I am obviously missing something. Any help?

Go to Gravatar.com use the same email address as you use to login here. Make sure you give your avatar a “G” rating. you may need to logout of here and back in, clean your cache etc… and eventually it should appear.

• johnnylarue® says:

Give up–it can’t be done. ;)

• Un Canadien errant says:

johnny, about the trim, man, you absolutely have to reschedule. Not doing so is positively insane.

This coming from someone who was going to watch the NFL draft instead of the Habs / Bruin game recently? (I would insert a smiley face, but am being as respectful as I can, notice no mention of first in my post at the start of this thread?)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

HAH!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Burly, I only axed a question as to which one I should watch first on PVR to avoid spoilers, and stated clearly that I wanted to watch the Habs game first, but was seeking out advice. You’re jackedwardsing my words, deeds and intent. There was no “instead”. And I was certainly not going to go to a wine and cheese or a teeth cleaning during the game and NFL Draft.

There. Solid rebuke for you, despite your eschewing a smiley or ackernym. CMAANWCAD.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Is Johnny missing the game for a haircut?

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• monmick says:

You guys can criticise all you want; but obviously none of you have “salon quality” hair like Johnny. The only one that comes close is Front, who has “saloon quality” hair…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Cal says:

gravatar.com
      use the same email address as your log-in here.
      follow the directions at gravatar.com

CHeers!

• Luke says:

Gravatar.com
      Use the same e-mail that you used to create this account.
      Avatar must be rated ‘G’.

(I think that’s the scoop).

Well, that provided me with 1 second of preace… now back to freakin’ out.

30. Prop says:

That picture though…

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

31. mdp2011 says:

My favorite broadcaster (along with Danny Gallivan) Dick Irvin talks about Habs-Bruins playoff history.

Easily the biggest game in the NHL this year, yes Toronto, bigger than the Detroit vs Toronto Outdoor game even!

6 Hours and Counting…….

33. WVHabsfan says:

I can’t wait for game time! I am as giddy as a school girl! Ha!

34. SC27 says:

Maclean picks Montreal for the win. Shocker.

35. B says:

Baie Comeau was down 3-0 to Val d’Or in the 3rd period of game 7. With less than 7 minutes to go they make it 3-1. With less than 3 minutes to go they make it 3-2 (assisted by Grégoire). With less than 2 minutes to go they tie it up on a goal by Grégoire. After that comeback, Mantha scores with less than a minute to go to give Val d’Or a 4-3 win and a ticket to London for the Memorial Cup.

Grégoire finishes the playoffs with 9 goals and 14 assists in 22 games. Hudon had 10 goals and 11 assists in 22 games. (Mantha btw had 24 goals and 14 assists in 24 games.)

So McCarron (3 goals and 2 assists in 9 playoff games) is the only Hab prospect in this years Memorial Cup playing for the host London Knights. The first game is Friday at 7:00 PM, Val d’Or vs London (on Sportsnet).

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I found the ending – a very tough bounce off the glass – to overhshadow what was otherwise an excellent game. Mantha certainly gets himself into key positions. The winning goal was a hard pill to swallow though, especially on the heals of the great comeback. Baie Comeau also hit two posts and had a Gregoire goal called off in the first (quick whistle IMO).

• B says:

Despite the loss, it was a solid playoff performance by Grégoire. I look forward to following his next season, unless Girard returns as an overager, Grégoire should be the Drakkar’s next captain. I am also looking forward to reading his size from the next prospects medicals. The kid works very hard and seems to be still growing well. He is also a CHL scholastic player of year nominee (won the QMJHL’s Marcel Robert Trophy). Lots of good stuff from a 176th overall pick.

–Go Habs Go!–

• CJ says:

I am very high on Gregoire. Hudon gives me fits. I’ve seen him look amazing one night and utterlly invisible the next.

I am hoping Gregoire gets an invite to the WJC selection camp this summer. He would be a deserving player.

36. sprague cleghorn says:

Have seen quite a few Habs car flags last few days. In Toronto.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

37. habs001 says:

Rather have a game with minimal PP…While the Bruins struggled on the PP the 2 PP goals in game 5 clinched the game for them…

38. WVHabsfan says:

If I make it, I will take you up on that 10912!! I will gladly buy you a pint as well friend!!!!

39. WVHabsfan says:

@Burly. I have thought about it multiple times. I live pretty far from Montreal and I need to get a passport still as I live in the states. Not sure what the wife would think but I will really consider it!!

40. JUST ME says:

I must admint that it does not help to drop by here today though . I want answers !!!

As most of you are i can`t stay in place and am perfectly useless at work and have not been this morning, not much yesterday…

Go Habs Go ! We will win !

41. Say Ash says:

Whoa, a rational Bruins fan:

“Total minutes played between Montreal and Boston in this series: 384:58
    Total minutes Boston had led in this series: 56:52
    Percentage of time Boston has led in this series: 14.5%

I am a die hard Bruins fan just like everyone else and hope they win and move on. However – the fact of the matter is – the Bruins have been severely outplayed in this series. I know stats are not always an indicator – but they certainly are in these 6 games. You can say the Bruins “earned” a game 7, and have hit 15 posts in the series…blah blah blah. Fact is – Bruins are lucky to even be in this position. To a man…even a die hard Bruins fan should be able to swallow their pride and admit Montreal has been the better team. I am looking forward to the game tonight and feel the Bruins can pull this out, but if the previous 6 games are any indication…looks like the Bruins might be golfing this weekend.”

42. WVHabsfan says:

Wife is out of town,Chris. You are welcome to come to my place also!

43. kalevine says:

I voted Chara because of his scary temper and his bloodlust, illustrated by what he did to Max and how he freaks out when little man Lucic takes a thunderous clean hit

44. Rad says:

Bostonians are feeling the heat. Here is an excerpt from a Gerry Callahan article at Bostonherald.com:

“Rask has had a phenomenal season, but if he gives up another softie and loses to Price tonight, it’s going to be a long summer. Same goes for Krejci and Lucic, Jarome Iginla and Patrice Bergeron. These guys all are making $5 million or more per season. The Bruins are better, top to bottom, than the Canadiens. And they’re supposed to have big-game players. But if they go down tonight, there is no excuse. It’s just an epic failure for a team that had a 3-2 lead in the series and was favored to win it all just a few days ago. A loss tonight leaves a mark.

And no one will feel it more than the captain. In Game 6, Chara took one shot and two penalties. He got credit for two hits in 28 shifts. He looked slow and tired and, perhaps, hurt. Meanwhile, his counterpart on the Canadiens, Pernell Karl Subban, has been the best player on the ice in the series.”

• kalevine says:

that’s a lot better than Toucher and Rich on the sports channel this morning in Boston, freaking out over Therrien’s remarks that he is like a riverboat gambler (?) and saying that Habs got lucky in game 6 and the Bruins are the better team and will win tonight. I decided I can only listen to them right after a BRuins loss, and then only so I can enjoy their whining.

45. WVHabsfan says:

A great well thought out post as always CJ! Always love your posts bro!

46. WVHabsfan says:

@ Habsfan 10912. Agreed regarding Front. I would love to go to “the saloon” with that guy. Loves to drink and loves the Habs. A man after my own heart!!

Come to the next summit WVHabsfan, you will meet a great deal of wonderful people including the legend himself Frontenac.

• Marek says:

Although I dont post much, I do read everything on this site and I have been planning to make the next summit also. I usually go once or twice a year anyway so I figure why not

It really is a wonderful event with something for everyone. Inevitably you will run into people whom you enjoy sharing conversation with or drinks with or both etc……

It is a diverse group and a wonderful group. I highly recommend it.
          Ian, Shane, SecretDragonfly etc… they all do a wonderful job with the event. The Gazette is also getting more involved each year, and you get a chance to interact with Cowan, Branswell, Stubbs, Boone and Hickey. Rejean Houle always joins us for dinner and is a pleasure to visit with (just forget the GM years).

Anyways back to the Game 7 nerves now…….

• Habfan10912 says:

Like Burly, I’d recommend a trip to a Summit. I’ll buy your first pint!

• krob1000 says:

If the HAbs win I’ll shout a big woohoo out the window as I pass through West Virginia in the wee hours of the morning on route to Myrtel Beach…. we usually stop at a Sheetz in WV in the wee hours of the morning…I wake the boys up for a mid sleep slushie and some candy (one of their favourite parts of the trip!) they head back to sleep, rot their teeth and the trek continues!!

47. Luke says:

Arrrrgggggggh! I’m freakin’ out here!

• johnnylarue® says:

I can’t decide if scheduling a haircut appointment to coincide with most of periods 1 + 2 was a healthy move or acutely masochistic.

On the one hand, I kind of want the outcome of this game to be decided before I start watching. On the other hand, I am deliberately avoiding the majority of a Game 7 between the Habs and Bruins, ostensibly the raison d’être of any true Habs fan…

Obviously, this series has rendered me completely insane.

• Luke says:

wow.
        I just… I… wow.
        A haircut?
        For reals?

• johnnylarue® says:

No joke. My gf’s high-powered hairstylist friend caught me in a moment of despair. It was an hour after Game 5 and I’ve been wearing a hat for weeks ’cause my current haircut is an abomination.

I was emotional and half-drunk, and I just didn’t think it would get to Game 7…

Shame on you is all I can say. I just hope Edward Scissorhands isn’t your stylist!

All the best, you realize if they win, you are getting multiple haircuts for the rest of the playoffs!

• Luke says:

A haircut?
            wow.
            For reals?
            I just… I… wow.

• johnnylarue® says:

Ha! Maybe I’d better downgrade this to a trim, Burly. I don’t want to have to resort to waxing if this goes another two rounds…

48. CJ says:

Tough to be patient today. Tough to fight the urge not to place significant weight on the outcome of tonight’s game.

It is very easy to look past the big picture – which is becoming very much a masterpiece on how to assemble both a winning culture, aligned with on ice results in a very short order. In 2012 Montreal finished LAST in the eastern conference. I repeat, dead LAST. Since hitting bottom, we finished last season in second place and were dispatched in short order by the Ottawa Senators – a franchise I simply have zero respect for. Ugliness aside, and despite the bad taste it left in my mouth, it was a major step forward.

Fast forward a year, and here we are, in a deciding game with the chance to advance to the conference finals. A win tonight and we have a chance to host (home ice) New York, a team we have played very well for a very long time. My goodness what an opportunity. However, win or lose, it is quite clear that we are headed in the right direction. That said, is it too much to ask to win tonight? Is it too much too soon? Personally, I don’t think so. I don’t believe Boston is any more deserving. Sadly, I think if we don’t stop them tonight they will glide into the Stanley Cup final and once again have a chance to taint the glorious Stanley Cup by etching their name in Silver.

Tonight is our night. I love PK’s attitude and look at this challenge through a very similar lens; How cool would it be to walk into Boston and shut up that crowd. The same crowd who mocks, jeers and welcomes – openly might I add – violence and disrespectful behaviour. If there was such a thing as Lady Luck, I hope she is watching. It simply would be just and right to knock these bullies off, hitting them where it hurts the most – on the scoreboard.

Tonight the NHL finds itself at a crossroads. Do we continue down the road of thugs, empowered through a sense of inflation due to a mob mentality? A group of players so vile, so disrespectful of the pride and passion of this great series that they squirt water and laugh at our players, mocking the Club de Hockey….. No, tonight we stand firm and push back – en masse. Tonight we take their pride, on their ice, in their city and crush it collectively. Tonight we stop their shots by any means necessary. Tonight we find a way to score goals and take their undisciplined punches, spears and cross checks. Tonight we win!!!!

Tomorrow, we party! Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• Marek says:

wow CJ, good post. That sounds like it could be a pre-game pump up speech for the team

• Chris says:

All things considered, I don’t really think the Bruins have thugged it up in a big way in these playoffs. The silliness at the end of the last game was annoying, but if Weaver lets Chara skate away, nothing happens there.

Going into Round 2, all we heard was how the Habs were going to run the Habs, particularly Price, and how they were going to beat us on the scoreboard, in the corners, and in the alleys after the game.

It didn’t happen. This series has featured some exciting end-to-end hockey (with the exception of Game 4, which was simply a dreadful game to watch) and some good defensive hockey.

As Todd says, regardless of who wins tonight, the NHL won with this high-profile series. They could not have asked for much more from a second round series, with only the pathetic Twitter crap after Game 1 casting a small shadow on the series.

• CJ says:

Good afternoon Chris. I would agree, by the Bruins’ standard, their level of thugery is actually quite moderate. That said, I still see enough to call attention to the way in which they play the game.

Regarding Chara, he was tripped…. by Markov. He wasn’t punched, cross checked, high sticked or otherwise roughed up. He was tripped. If that is the reaction of a player to a trip, then there is something wrong. Yes, Weaver came over to defend Markov, as he should have. Of course, in doing so, he immediately incited violence and all of a sudden Iggy and Lucic pounce.

So, what was originally a trip, was responded to with multiple punches, cross checks and a swarming.

Sorry, but a bear can’t change its colours…..

• Chris says:

Oh, come on…Chara gave him a one-handed slash with the stick and a relatively minor cross-check and started to skate away.

Markov has done more than that on numerous goal-mouth scrums. That is small potatoes in the NHL. It was literally nothing to get upset about. Weaver did a good thing sticking up for Markov, but it was unnecessary given the circumstances. Chara really wasn’t much of a “thug” on that play. He was an NHL defenceman doing what they all do after the whistle: couple of shots, skate away.

• CJ says:

Perhaps I’m mistaken. I thought I recall Lucic and Iggy being engaged in a scrum on the boards. I have no issue with a one on one battle, even if there is a size difference. I agree, Weaver engaged so that is fair game. 1 on 1 is fair. When Lucic and Iggy both need to double team a guy, then we are talking about something different altogether.

Again, my memory might be foggy. I was a little under the weather, the result of being struck by a silver bullet barage.

• Chris says:

CJ: I’m not excusing Iginla and Lucic. What THEY did was BS. I’m just saying that it was a completely unnecessary altercation in the first place, and I can’t really accuse the Bruins of thuggery based on that one play.

This has, for the most part, been a clean series with very little for fans on either side to get bent out of shape about. Squirtgate was Thornton losing his mind, but it wasn’t thuggery. He was just being a moron.

There have been no fights. There’s been no crashing of Price. There have been few after-whistle scrums with the Bruins seeking to intimidate the Habs.

You could make a pretty compelling argument that this has been the cleanest series in the entire playoffs. There are always small incidents here and there, on both sides. But neither team can be accused of thuggery in this series.

• SPATS says:

Hey CJ, the trip was followed by an uppercut spear to Z’s family jewels. Gotta watch it slowly as it happens in the blink of an eye just as Marky drops his stick. Markov is a highly skilled agitator and how about the hit he laid on Lurcheech? Don’t see that very often!

• CJ says:

Hi Spats.

I vaguely remember that. I don’t have an issue with Chara, who was in a 1-1 battle with Weaver. I hate when I see Lucic and Iggy swarm our guys. Again, as noted above, my memory might not withstand further scrutiny, so perhaps my recollection is inaccurate.

Good to hear from you buddy! Looking forward to visiting. Go Habs! Cheers, CJ

• Adidess says:

CJ, you’re on fire!

I particularly like the last paragraph. Putting the whistles away tonight means a clear choice by referees and the league to advantage the Bruins. There needs to be calls in the first period to limit the shenanigans, and I’ll accept it even if it’s against the Habs, if it’s the right call.

• sprague cleghorn says:

Beauty.

… ‘ow could we forget that?

• FlyAngler says:

It’s not too much to ask at all C J if you ask me. The Bruins are a good hockey team, but they are not “great” and I believe them to be overrated. P J Stock says that they are better than the Habs- I happen to think that they are pretty even and that with Beaulieu as our #6 Dman we are significantly better on D than the Bruins when you compare #’s 1-6 as Krug and Hamilton are good on the attack but in their own end- not so much- and Miller, Bartkowski and Mezzaros are all just plain weak. Asking the Habs to win tonight is thoroughly reasonable and realistic IMO, but there will be no room for ANY passengers if they are to succeed.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• Habilis says:

Annnnnd boom goes the dynamite. Brilliant post, CJ.

I think you’re 100% correct about the direction of this team. While a loss tonight would be tough to swallow, if you step back and look at it objectively, we are in game 7 of round 2 against the best team in hockey, and we are right there with them, even dominating them for stretches. Oh and we got to that 2nd round by sweeping a 101 point team. This is a major step forward for a pretty young team.

That being said, I don’t think it’s too early to dream a little. This group, with this world class goalie and a D-man emerging as a legitimate NHL superstar, having just come off their best single game performance of the series and probably of the last 4 years or so, this group can make magic happen.

One game for all the marbles and we get Carey Price in our net. I like that.

GO HABS GO!

49. Adidess says:

Does anyone know why they haven’t dropped the puck yet?

I mean, it’s game day and I am done working. The game normally starts shortly after … :-)

Go Team CHanada!

50. WVHabsfan says:

F Boston!!

51. Mr_MacDougall says:

Seems like the kinda game Gionta pots one.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

52. Chris says:

Grr…of course, today would HAVE to be the day that my television decides it is going to conk out. FML

53. habsfan0 says:

Losing is not an option.
    I’m simply not in the mood to shave.

54. WVHabsfan says:

Anyone drinking yet? (Front I am looking in your direction). Just had my first beer of a thirty pack! Go Habs go!!

55. veryhabby says:

Win or lose, I just want to enjoy tonight. this is why we are fans, why we follow a team. PLAYOFFS are for the fans. Trying not to be nervous but instead simply enjoy every moment of it.

OK who am I kidding…I can’t concentrate at work today!

56. Thomas Le Fan says:

Lola, our new English Setter pup, and I will be watching together. She watched her very first hockey game Monday night and she is 1 for 1 as my good luck charm. She’s already a huge Habs fan and told me she wants to bite Lucic. Go Habs!

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

57. Cal says:

Caption below photo (up above)
    “Geez, man, you need a mint! ”
    “Brush your teeth, freak.”
    “Your wife kisses that mouth?”

58. The Jackal says:

Gonna be a good game, and the Habs WILL WIN IT!
    3-1 Habs, PK and Patch are big factors and Price is excellent again.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Adidess says:

Wow, The Jackal is going all out, with a final score too. That’s one game where I have high hopes, but no feel for the final results.
      Something tells me this one won’t be a nail-bitter. Game will be in the bag for somebody by early 3rd quarter. Obviously, I have no clue why I’m saying it. Just a hunch!

59. Hobie says:

We all know Subban has the ability to tie that game with a huge late goal, I hope the coaches are reminding the boys not to rely on that :-).

60. Adidess says:

Three things that won’t change after tonight, in my opinion, regardless of the score or results.

A. MT will get extended this summer for at least 2 more years.

B. PK Subban will be one very rich man (I’m thinking ‘8 mil per’ rich, at a minimum).

C. Murray and Bouillon out at season’s end. Beaulieu and Tiny in, from training camp on.

These are pretty safe bets. What is your view?

Go Team CHanada!

61. Habies says:

After that game in 2011, I also created a panel in the hills of rural Myanmar, comprised of 4 Burmese 5 year old boys to help analyse what went wrong and what we needed to do in 2012. It lasts a minute, and here’s the panel” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZpJbaA1q8
    It seems that we got most of what was discussed. These boys know Les Boys now.

62. habsguru says:

Jackson and O’Rourque

• Say Ash says:

They called Game 2

• FlyAngler says:

They definitely call things tighter than some of the other duos. The Bruins will need to behave if they don’t want to compromise their chances and guys like P K and Prust will need to be very disciplined for us and not take bad penalties. We love P K, but he just cannot take penalties like the one he took the other night in the attacking zone for holding an opponents stick. In a game 7, a mistake like that could be the difference between a tee time for the next morning or moving on to the next round. I hope P K lights it up tonight! Go Habs Go!

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

• kempie says:

An official of Irish descent working a Bruins game in Boston? How unfair & biased!

63. JuventusHab says:

“Come here and give me a kiss Zdeno”

64. ths says:

Subban gets the first one. Chest Pump. Bicep Pump.
    Patches gets the second one then gives a two hander to Charas back legs
    4-0 Habs repeat and they salut the crowd from centre ice before leaving

Ooh Aah Bruins on the golf course

65. Habies says:

In 2011 (on that horrible night/morning) I was listening to Game 7 on a remote Burmese peninsula ravaged by a cyclone. Here’s the video I made from that morning (evening) as we were entering overtime. We just installed the area’s first internet connection ever to facilitate logistics, contracts, rice, wood, photos, etc. I used it to listen to the game. My colleagues were readying to deliver rice and an assessment — and I was about to collapse from the loss. Tonight is finally time for redemption.

66. DipsyDoodler says:

Don’t get me wrong, I hate Johnny Boychuk. But he doesn’t really belong on that list.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

I would be fine with any or all of Jeremy Jacobs, Cam Neely and Claude Julien added to that list, in fact I have quickly managed to add Iginla to a list of Bruins I despise.

• FormalWare says:

I think they meant Gregory Campbell.

And where’s Andrew Ference? (Yes, I know “where” he is, physically. But he’s irredeemable, and will always bear that Bruin stain.)

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

67. habsfan2442 says:

Big game tonight everyone
    Make sure you have the following setup and or available and someone to assist as needed.
    Blood pressure Monitor and Meds.
    Any Heart medication take another dose 4 hours prior to game time.
    Cell phone fully charged
    All animals locked in basement. ( unless they are used to the screaming ).
    Warn the neighbors that no one is being killed and to ignore any and all noise coming from your house until midnight ( should be long enough win or lose ).
    Remove anything you can throw at your TV. ( once you turn it on there is no need for the remote until it’s over ) and tomorrow you don’t want to be shopping for a new flat screen.
    Bottom line enjoy the game, win or lose this is sure to be one for the memory banks.. This is why we are fans, games like tonight….
    GO HABS !!!!!!!!!

68. CalgaryHab says:

Today’s poll question is like asking which terrorist organization do you dislike the most. there really needs to be an ‘all of the above’ choice.

69. FormalWare says:

3.0 THOUGHTS
    ==========

1.0: Game Seven in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. There’s nothing better.

2.0: PK Subban will score or assist on the first goal of the game, silencing the Bruins’ fans. He won’t have to wait long “to take that all away from them.”

3.0: Habs in seven.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

70. Been saying it every game and I’ll continue to say it until the end.

We win if Vanek and Pacioretty outplay Price, because you know Price is AWESOME!

CAREY CAREY CAREY

LET’S GET IT DONE!

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators

71. BJ says:

I think everyone here would have taken a game 7 in the second round vs the Bruins. How about round 3 starting at home vs Rangers…..

72. sCOTT1243 says:

GO Habs GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shut the door Carey!

Game 7, Montreal vs. Boston, it just doesn’t get any better than this.

Enjoy all!

GO Habs GO!
    GO HABS GO!

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Define better.

I can’t breathe, think, function, sustain conversation, eat, sleep, read, sit still, work, relate to other people, focus, or tolerate any combination of black and yellow.