Habs, Bruins meet for ninth time in a Game 7 (with videos)

Charaweb

For the ninth time in NHL history, the Canadiens and Bruins will square off in Game 7 of a playoff series Wednesday night in Boston (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Heading into Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series, the Canadiens had beaten the Bruins in five of the previous eight Game 7 showdowns between the teams. The winner of Wednesday night’s game advances to face the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference final.

“It’s going to be great,” defenceman P.K. Subban told reporters on the eve of Game 7. “I can’t wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building. I can’t wait to take that all away from them.”

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate Wednesday in Boston. Carey Price, Alexei Emelin and Subban elected to skip the skate. Alex Galchenyuk, still recovering from a lower-body injury, skated while wearing a no-contact jersey.

“It’s exciting right now,” Brendan Gallagher told reporters after the skate. “You grow up, you watch those Game 7s. You see the intensity and the emotion in the players’ faces. And to be a part of that tonight is going to be pretty cool.”

Added Josh Gorges: “Any time you get to a Game 7, the excitement of it never goes away. It’s a game you want to be in. You want to be playing this game. You want to be a guy that contributes and helps the team get this win.

“We’re excited as a group about the challenge tonight. It’s going to be a hard-fought game and it’s going to take everything we’ve got from every player we’ve got in this room.”

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

(Video by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell)

Game 7 Preview, NHL.com

Bruins will beat Canadiens in Game 7, Boston Globe

How Bruins can beat Canadiens, Boston Globe

Chara’s legacy on the line, Boston Herald

Bruins call on experience, Boston Herald

Game 7 about no regrets, bostonbruins.com

Priest blesses Habs jerseys and Pacioretty, Stu on Sports blog

Share your Habs rituals and superstitions, montrealgazette.com

Subban leader of Habs’ youth movement, Stu on Sports blog

Rangers deserve credit, but they’ll lose Eastern Conference final, The Hockey News

1. Donkey Hoat says:

Should the Habs lose tonight, I shall be quite…put out.

2. Danno says:

Game Seven!

Tonight’s The Night

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

3. Nowhere to go but home in NYC as everything is Rangers mania, despite few calling for their success. Anyone know of a pub/bar that’s playing the Habs game tonight? All five girls and wife are home tonight and I might have to lock myself in the attic for fear that my swearing and shouting at the screen might interrupt their evening rituals.

I’m speechless! 20 years and counting…

4. Storman says:

KARMA guys wear your favorite hat shoes shirt whatever,, KARMA boys lets pass it on,, PAY it Forward to OUR HABS tonight guarantee win night ..

5. Ozmodiar says:

I have to repeat… There’s no way the Habs will lose tonight. They’re hungrier.

Can you imagine how badly PK, Max, Pkeks, Price, Emelin and Markov want this one?

They’re gonna make us proud, folks!! I have no doubt!

6. Storman says:

YAHHHHHHHHHH BABY WE ELIMINATE THE bad a.s bruins tonight book it DANNO…
    GET READY TO CELEBRATE!!!!!!

7. Psycho29 says:

Ok I am so freaking stressed!!!
    Gotta keep the same ritual as Monday. Laptop on my lap for the whole game. No liveblog for me but still keeping things the same.

Also if it goes into OT I change the channel but keep flipping back to see if it’s still on. Worked in game-1 but game-3 I forgot and the Bruins won.
    Actually that ritual started in 1993…did that for the first OT game and the Habs won. Then same thing for the second one. I told the guys at work about it, and as the 3rd OT was about to start my buddy called me at home to remind me.
    Ok I’m rambling…enjoy the game everyone!!! Go Habs Go!!!!

8. RetroMikey says:

The officiating crew for tonight’s huge Game 7 at TD Garden will be comprised of referees Dave Jackson and Dan O’Rourke, along with linesmen Shane Heyer and Brad Kovachik.

Some notes about the zebras…

– This is the second game of the series for Jackson and O’Rourke, having previously called Game 2, a 5-3 Bruins win. The game was a testy affair which saw three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one for abusive language (from the B’s bench) and an opening period that saw both teams combine for eight minors.

“We will win the Cup one day only with Carey Price in the nets “

• FlyAngler says:

Probably Claude Julien’s last choice with regard to Referee duos that he wanted to see in the series. It was after game 2 that he stated: “We put up with a lot of crap.” Clearly Jackson & O’Rourke were not influenced much by Julien if they had the gonads to give him a bench minor in a playoff game. Everybody better behave tonight, because these 2 probably will not hesitate to start a parade to the box if they think that they need to- game 7 or not.

“Gardez la Foi! Keep the Faith!”

9. DadidolizedDougHarvey says:

This is an absolutely beautiful feeling. This game tonight has tremendous promise. I want both teams to play really really well, and I want the Habs to win. I want my 18 year old son, my 16 year old daughter and my 12 year old son to talk about this game in 20 years. Have a great game y’all.

10. JohnBellyful says:

Bergevin has made all the right moves to put together a team that can win tonight and even contend for the Cup.
    Question is, has HIO kept pace and assembled the right bunch to cheer the Habs on, or should we be looking at some last-minute call-ups?

11. Mr_MacDougall says:

Prediction: I’ll have to take a leak 3 seconds after puck drop, hold it, the forget during commercial break 1, hold it forget during commercial break 2.. Habs score.. For the sake of Habs nation, hold it the rest of the game, in an effort not to upset the apple cart..

1st star Rene Bourque
    2nd star Nate Beaulieu (sorry kid, haven’t learned to spell your name,yet)
    3rd Star Carey Price
    4th star my bladder.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

12. Storman says:

I Am so ready
    Put me in coach I’m ready to play today

13. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Anyone got the link to the Nilan rant handy?

X X X X X X X X 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

14. Storman says:

Love my HIO Brethren WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GO HABS GO BOYS WOOOOOOOOOOO COMPETE, LOVE THY TEAMATES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

15. JohnBellyful says:

Why isn’t there a live feed of the Habs dressing room on the Internet?

16. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

By the time we win the cup it’ll be 30c (38 humidex).
    GO Habs GO!!!

17. JohnBellyful says:

Just to shake things up tonight, when Rancourt sings the anthem I’m gonna picture him wearing Reno’s outfit.

18. mark-ID says:

Ok, this is it everyone. Keep the positive vibes going, the world is made up of vibrational matter afterall. As nervous as I am, I have a sense of calm at the same time.

Don’t allow any thoughts of negatives….just keep imagining the Bergivin Boogie/Marcarena, check out highlights of past Habs victories over B’s, and let your mind imagine what it is going to be like playing the Rangers.

We got this, Go Habs Go!! Btw, anyone else in Ottawa who will be out to watch game tonight….I will be watching the game at Saint Louis wings on Elgin wearing my red Habs tshirt and camo shorts. Hopefully it is packed with Habs supporters :)

We got this,

19. JUST ME says:

Tsn radio reports that the NHL has warned the Bruins that they are not in charge of deciding who is the ref and how they call the games.

Isn`t it a way to admit that they used to ?

Go Habs Go !
    World class goaler —check
    Norris caliber d-man—check
    Fearless atttitude—check
    Upper hand on opponent`s goaler—check
    Relentless efforts—check
    Discipline—check
    Multiple line contribution—check
    Strong start of the game —check
    Efficient forecheck—check
    Obvious leadership—check

Go Habs Go !

20. JohnBellyful says:

If Bylsma is fired and then gets hired in mid-season by New Jersey who can DeBoer because the Devils are in danger of missing the playoffs again, will he be officially known as Bylsmabub.

21. Luke says:

Alright Friends!

This is it! Have a Habstastic evening. Enjoy the game and Go Habs go!

22. Hobie says:

Thank god this work day is over!

23. kirkiswork says:

Bring it on.

24. Biggest_Greek_HABSfun says:

No pressure guys ! Believe ! Its the perfect time for the players to go out and enjoy every single moment . We are in better condition and well prove it ! Habs all the way

25. youngwun says:

Please let them win tonight hockey gods…

26. Luke says:

OK. 2hours. 45 minutes.

Time to reign it in. Game face on. NO more freak out.

Beers with my Bruin-Fan friend in 15.

Game Face.

27. UKRAINIANhab says:

It will be very upsetting if the Habs lose…

28. Habitant in Surrey says:

…well, following this game there are 2 possibilities of Our state of mind

…either We will be cocks on the walk, …or turkeys on a plate

…no in-between :)

29. JohnBellyful says:

Is it too early to start singing Ole, ole, ole?

30. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

Just saw a riding mower with a dummy wearing a HABS sweater.

31. Donkey Hoat says:

Ay, ay, ay!

32. JohnBellyful says:

This can’t be good. Associated Press reporting NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs just finished an Eastern Conference call. Between themselves.

33. Jimmy Page says:

I’ve been a lurker for years at HIO… and with a critical Habs/Bruins G7 on the line, its time to join.

Love the many posts on here by very insightful hockey fans.

I feel as though the road to the finals is actually opening up… Crazy!

Go Habs! Bring back the magic!

34. Mr_MacDougall says:

The Hans need a hero.. I predict Gionta will rise to the occasion.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

35. Un Canadien errant says:

Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune on the potential shakeup in Pittsburgh.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• Strummer says:

Interesting read.
      No mention of the numerous draft picks that Shero gave up in recent years at the deadline which will come back to haunt them.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

36. Subban in Sochi says:

Having watched countless Habs-’Ruins Playoff games since I became a Canadiens fan in the 1971 Series vs. Boston, history suggests 3 scenarios in which Montreal wins tonight:

1. Great team defense, superior goaltending, the desire and capability to play “as long as it takes,” and the winning goal scored from 2 feet away in a 2-1 or 1-0 game.

2. Bourque, Eller, Desharnais and/or Pacioretty (maybe Bournival)draw a couple timely interference penalties by passing to themselves behind Boston’s d-men. And then someone who’s “been there” before scores a giant PP goal, e.g., Markov.

3. The greybeards re-discover their Playoff scoring touch: Briere, Gionta, or the aforementioned Andrei Markov. Marky has matched his career Playoff scoring high with 5 assists this season. But he hasn’t scored a Playoff goal in 6 years…

It would be nice if the Habs could win the game by deploying a Bruin tactic…rolling all 4 lines; letting Briere & Weise feel the puck a little more. Because if this game goes in to overtime that team balance will be clé.

“Cannonading drive!!”

37. Dunboyne Mike says:

Will the Bruins try to play the stifle game, as in Game 4?
    It worked for them then — why wouldn’t they do it again?

38. D Mex says:

For those who may not already have seen this, Tony Marinaro is pulling out all the stops for tonight’s game 7 :

” Go Habs Go ” … ;-)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

39. DipsyDoodler says:

A two period haircut?

Who gets their haircut for two hours?

Is the hair in question on your head or …. somewhere else?

Even then a full waxing should take no more than 45 min.

—–
    Moving. Forward.

40. Say Ash says:

Fearless prediction: HI/O will crash tonight

41. frontenac1 says:

Novocaine amigos! Similar numbing effect as Vodka but not nearly the buzz of Vodka and morphine.

42. Strummer says:

The Habs intensity level needs to be where it was from the opening face off in game 6.
    That includes everyone (I’m looking at you Thomas Vanek).
    Anything less, then Boston will win.

____________________________________________________
    “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

43. Max says:

The wildcard here tonight is Vanek.He’s one of the best scorers on either team and can be a big difference maker if he wants to be. I hope the all star Vanek shows up tonight.This can mean the difference between moving on or moving out.

• Kooch7800 says:

He will score tonight. He is a player who doesn’t need to show up for 90% of the game and then bam he is right there sniping one.

That is what makes him dangerous

• Strummer says:

He needs to show the intensity he showed in Game 6.

____________________________________________________
      “You are not T.J. Oshie. Do not shoot pucks at people without a helmet.”.

• Ozmodiar says:

Lots of wild cards tonight. :)

How ’bout Bourque? Okay, he’s more of an x-factor.

How ’bout Briere? More of an ace up the sleeve, maybe?

Beaulieu? I guess he’s more of a secret weapon.

Okay, Vanek can be the wild card.

44. JF says:

Not sure P.K. should have said what he did about wanting to take it all away from them. It could work either for us or against us. The Bruins could be determined not to let P.K. take anything away from them, and distract themselves trying to take him out, which would make our task easier. Or it could have the opposite effect, making them very focused on winning. Of course it could also have no effect. But I generally think it’s a good idea to abstain from any comments pre-game except clichés like “They’re a great team.” Don’t give the other team anything they can use as bulletin-board material.

Of course, our players can use Julien’s statement that he expects his team to win as motivation. Or the assertion by Dan Shaughnessy in one of the Boston papers that the Bruins will certainly win.

45. 24AW says:

one comment on tonight’s game, one team will be finished till training camp in September.

46. WVHabsfan says:

I live in the states, as I have mentioned before. I will take Bob Cole over Kenny Albert any day!

47. mdp2011 says:

For JohnnyLarue,

I got the solution to your haircut problem.

Canadiens Montréal ‏@CanadiensMTL 2m
    Got your ticket for tonight? Stop by section 101 for a free Habs haircut and tattoo. #GoHabsGo

48. scrotchland says:

well it all comes down to game 7. our habs have done better than expected. therian will probably mess up tonight and as much as I want our habs to win I think the bruins will come out flying.
    Final 6-2 bruins. please prove me wrong les habitants.

of course if the habs loose, then therian will be sure to make PK his escape goat again.

• sprague cleghorn says:

Previously on scrotchland:

“…I said bruins 4 straight and that starts tonight.”

“…I think that the bruins will win. they have our habs …on the ropes, and it aint gonna be pretty. very disapointing season.”

“I see a lot of overconfidence in the habs and in a lot of expert posters here. the b’s are not done. bruins in 6.”

… ‘ow could we forget that?

49. piter says:

I think the key to tonight is our 3rd pairing defencemen, Weaver and Beaulieu. Boston will be matching their 1st line against them as much as they can, as they have last change. As long as they play as well as they have, we’ll be alright. Obviously, our Habs getting the first goal is important, as both teams have a perfect record when scoring first in the playoffs. We’ll have to survive the first 5 or so minutes, the first wave, of Boston’s hometown momentum. Then counter-attack with a strong fore-check. I feel really good about tonight’s game, for what it’s worth. Vanek will score, as well as a blast from PK will go in. Go Habs Go!!!!!
    :re-post from last thread, I posted to wrong one.

50. HankHardball says:

Do Habs need Jesus Price to play his best game to beat the B’s?

No. They just need him to be better than Rask.

51. Dunboyne Mike says:

I think when the LiveBlog thread appears I will actually collapse. Or explode.

Maybe I need to go for a hair-styling….

52. Dunboyne Mike says:

CJ — Amazing post, man! Unfortunately it’s the VERY last thing I need! Nerves like a fish-tank full of electric eels.

SOMEBODY who lives anywhere near JohnnyLarue, PLEASE go to his house at once. Something seriously wrong there! Intervention urgently needed!

Luke — Yes! Exactly! ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

Europeans! Who’s staying up? BJ? Tuurku? Norway?

53. habsfan0 says:

When was the last time the Habs enjoyed a laugher in Boston?
    Tonight’s as good a time as any.

54. shiram says:

Some salty Penguins fans were bitching about Bylsma, saying how the only way he managed to win a Cup was using Therrien’s system.

55. Pierre Maguire says:

I just want to say that I love the job Danny Bylsma has done with the Penguins. He’s a great family man and a wonderful husband but maybe he’s lost the room.
    I had dinner a couple of days ago with someone close to the team (sorry, I’m not going to divulge my source) and they told me there’s a rift between Sid and Gino.
    I just want to let it be known that I am available to take over as coach or GM. Maybe I can lure Scotty away from the Hawks and he could be MY ASSISTANT for a change….

——————————————————————
    Me loves everything Scotty and Mario.

• HankHardball says:

If you’re Pierre Maguire, how come you don’t know how to spell McGuire.

• CH Marshall says:

Sorry Pierre, the real GM of the Pens is Sidney Crosby

• HankHardball says:

Did you know that Pierre is actually your middle name?
      Your first name is Regis.

• Darren Dragger says:

The rumblings are coming from deep within the organization, and details are still murky, but the Penguins will probably choose one of two broad options in Dan Bylsma’s case.

They may elect to retain the coach and give him a pass on a season marred by injuries to key players such as Gino Malkin, Tomas Vokoun, Pascal Dupuis, James Neal and Kris Letang.

Alternatively, they may choose to go in another direction, and not excuse the latest underwhelming performance in the playoffs by the powerhouse team, and let the decorated coach go.

How this affects the Leafs coaching situation is unclear at this moment. The Leafs have just given their head coach a two-year extension, but they may still have options.

One of them would be to retain their head coach, despite the possible availability of Dan Bylsma, and keep the ship pointed in the same direction.

Alternatively, they could choose to pay out their incumbent coach and snap up the Pens bench boss, and bring a jolt to the system of the Air Canada Centre dwellers.

Either way, this may or may not affect the decision-making of Dave Nonis as far as the roster is concerned.

If a coaching change was made, the GM might think that it’s enough of a change in climate that there doesn’t need to be a roster shakeup.

Conversely, a coaching change might be deemed a propitious time to shuffle players and adjust the temperature in the dressing room.

Darren Dragger, Insider

If you’re not inside, you’re outside!

56. GrosBill says:

Keys to tonight:

- Need to give 110%
    - Need to be good at both ends of the ice
    - Need to play the full 60 minutes
    - Need to want it more than they do
    - Need to tighten up defensively
    - Need to open it up offensively
    - Need to support Price around the net
    - Need to get traffic in front of Rask

Please add other clichés I may have missed.

GO HABS GO

LONGEST. AFTERNOON. EVER.

57. sweetmad says:

As you all squirm on tenterhooks,
    I can’t wait to get this one in the books,
    Negativity is such a bore,
    We will win so no need to say more.

Hockey this spring has been a joy
    You know that a teddy bear is just a toy,
    I am as optimistic as I can be,
    We will win just watch and see.

Those Gooins are going nose down on the ice.
    They cannot beat our guy Price.
    They cannot go face flat
    Their noses are too big for that.

Lucic trying to imitate King Kong,
    What an insult that is just wrong.
    To play our game does not take muscle
    It takes speed and skill and the will to hustle.

I am not worried about tonight,
    I know our guys will do it right,
    Forget about the difference in size
    Our guys have their sights on the big prize.

As I watch the clock hoping that the time will fly,
    So we can win this game and relax with a sigh,
    Playing the Rags should be fun,
    Come on guy get this done.
    GO HABS GO ALL THE WAY

58. HankHardball says:

This series has been reduced to a 1 game head to head match up.

The Habs record against the Bruins so far this year is 6 – 4.

No team in the East has a better chance to beat BOS in a 1 game head to head match up than MTL.

59. twilighthours says:

Johnny Larue, you’re insane. Cancel the haircut, man. Cancel.

60. Danno says:

From top of the last page – just before new thread…

———————————————

Jack Todd: “We’re picking the Canadiens in a game that will be closer than an elevator at a garlic convention.”

Somebody help me because I don’t get it.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

61. BJ says:

For the sake of all thats decent, the thought I just had is its a blessing that HIO members were not in the same class at school.

62. Say Ash says:

Do the players take game day naps? How the eff can these guys fall asleep?

63. davecessna says:

That photo of Emelin and Chara is awesome.

64. Luke says:

Of Things I’ve noticed in this series:

1) Whether the Habs dump it into the corner, or the Bruins dump it into the corner. The Bruins quite often allow the Habs to be first to the puck so they can administer a hit.
    The Habs have done a very good job of stabbing the puck forward along the boards, deeper in to the offensive zone, or around the net to a D partner while avoiding the heaviest of contact. (Or reversing it back to the point).
    I think the Bruins did this less in game #6 because the Habs had been fairly successful in neutralizing the hit and therefore, the point of the Bruins letting the Habs get to the puck first.

2) The flip over the line of Bruins has been quite successful. A decent method to avoid a neutral zone turnover or force the Bruins line to break, pivot and open space for the forecheck. The puck doesn’t usually go deep enough on the flip for the Bruin retrieving it to lay back and let the Hab go get it first. This lets the Hab initiate contact. (I think the CBC accidently discussed this for a moment).

I dunno, just a couple of things I’ve noticed.
    (I will now resume my epic freak out).

65. Habsfan43 says:

If Gio leaves after this year I could easily see Gorges getting named captain. He’s such a leader on the ice, and almost always plays perfect, stay-at-home defence. And how bout that 3 minute shift the other night?

• GrosBill says:

I know many will disagree with me, but I have said all year I want it to be PK. His playoff performance has not changed my mind.

It would be nice to have a captain who is an elite talent and a game changer.

No offence to Gorges.

• BJ says:

I would go along with that as he’s also an eloquent speaker with a great presence.

• GrosBill says:

True that. Always gives a good interview, respectful when he talks of other teams and players etc.

His passion for the game would also have to be a good influence. To continue with clichés (just posted a few above), if your captain is working hard and giving it his all………

66. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On says:

Anyone else’s tummy doing backflips?

X X X X X X X X 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

67. Danno says:

place

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

68. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

To poutine or not to poutine ?

69. scavanau says:

Anyone seen the next round schedule? I can’t find one. I’m in NYC later this month and will be staying 2 minutes from MSG.