Habs, Bruins in battle for first place

After arriving home late following Wednesday night’s 4-3 win over the Devils in New Jersey, only a handful of players skated Thursday morning in Brossard, including Ryan White and Francis Bouillon, as the Canadiens prepare to face the Boston Bruins for the first time this season Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). There was no morning media availability.

The Canadiens are 7-0-1 in their last eight games and will be playing their third game in four nights. The Bruins haven’t played since Saturday, when they beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 3-1.

The Canadiens (17-9-3) are in third place in the Eastern Conference, trailing the first-place Pittsburgh Penguins (19-9-1) by two points and the Bruins (18-7-2) by one. The Penguins play host to the San Jose Sharks Thursday night.

“Our focus was on tonight’s game, and now we’re going to have to find some energy for tomorrow,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after Thursday’s game in New Jersey. “This is a tough part of the schedule for us. The Bruins are fresh because they haven’t played since Saturday. But we’re playing at home and we’re counting on the fans to supply us with some energy.”

Boston coach Claude Julien had this to say about the Canadiens on the Bruins’ website: “Their team has really in the last month stabilized themselves. Defensively, they’re not giving much. They’re right behind us in goals against.”

After Thursday’s game, the Bruins and Canadiens won’t meet again until Jan. 30 in Boston.

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Habs vs. Bruins preview, NHL.com

Canadiens aim to pass Bruins, NHL.com

Bruins Blog, bostonbruins.com

Bruins Beat: B’s Battle Montreal (video), bostonbruins.com

Desharnais proves his worth to Habs, by Pat Hickey

Habs continue hot streak, by Pat Hickey

Dear Canada video a HNIC masterpiece, by Dave Stubbs

Bournival impresses old junior coach, by Brenda Branswell

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

$8 million a season for Subban? La Presse

Top 5 Most Memorable Moments against the Bruins, Canadiens.com

Habs’ Parros the focus of ESPN.com feature story, Stu on Sports blog

Bruins’ Shawn Thornton on fighting, ESPN Boston

Behind the B (video), bostonbruins.com

Hudon could be diamond in the rough for Habs, Stu on Sports blog

Would Habs trade Max Pacioretty? Stu on Sports blog

Sometimes you can’t beat the postgame spread, N.Y. Times

1. Max says:

MacKinnon is going to be a solid player for years to come.Subban is already a solid player and reigning Norris champion.He can control games right now.You never trade a franchise D for a franchise F.The franchise D are a lot harder to find and develop.Not going to happen.

I wouldn’t mind Umberger out of Columbus as he is one of those guys that always seems to score against the Habs like Erik Cole of yesteryear.I fear any trade for a forward is going to mean parting ways with Eller however.I prefer we keep Eller at all costs.

2. Thurston says:

The poll question is missing the “All of the Above” option. I could easily make a case for all four of those goofballs but singling one out makes me think I like the other three better, which I don’t.
    To hell with that Bruin trash.

• donmarco says:

I “dislike” jay Miller, Stan Jonathan, Mike Milbury, Ken the Rat and Terry O’Reilly more than I’ll ever dislike any of the pukes listed on the poll. Except for Chara. He’s on my list.

If MB is in talks with Columbus I would be wary that the BlueJackets are after Eller.

Jarmo Kekalainen, I believe was Chief Scout for the BLues when Eller was drafted, and he is now GM of Columbus.

4. donmarco says:

According to the man who has never predicted one single trade, Eklund is now theorizing it may be MacKinnon for Subban.

Right.

5. Say Ash says:

How can anybody think Parros is not playing tonight? What the eff was he signed for if not playing teams like the Bruins?

6. Habfan10912 says:

Umberger, really? A $4.6 million cap hit. I don’t know.

7. habsguru says:

i wonder how many posters saying not to dress Parros, were complaining last year about not having a tough guy… there is more than just two points on the line here. shedding the enigma of being the ultra soft CH can take toll later in the season.

8. Bill says:

Umber get is a large body, goes to the net, just slightly above average skills. He has been great in the playoffs, however, whenever he’s been able to get there. 14 goals in 26 career playoff games. On the other hand, he hasn’t played in the playoffs since 2009, so the data is somewhat dated.

He’s 31 and under contract for three years after this one at a 4.6 million cap hit.

Could be an attractive player for the Habs, but how many centres can one team have??

No idea what Columbus would want in return, but I’m pretty sure I don’t want to trade whoever it is.

• krob1000 says:

Could be NIck Foligno they are looking at…

• donmarco says:

I’d preferDubinsky over Umbringer, if those are the players involved, as he’s younger and only one more year on his contract. We’d have to trade at least one roster player and the only one I’d be comfortable dealing is Bourque. But he’s a right winger which we already need, so I’m having trouble seeing this work.

9. Habfan10912 says:

Several reports on twitter say Parros in.

TSN with something up their sleeves?

TSN staff were told this morning that @tsnjamesduthie @DarrenDreger @TSN_BobMcKenzie have all signed new long term deals

11. CalgaryHab says:

Interesting poll question.

Almost like asking which form of cancer would you prefer.

After tonight’s game I’m going to watch the last 10 minutes of game 6 of last years Stanley Cup final – guaranteed to go to bed happy.

12. Sportfan says:

This is how my friend feels with every trade rumor

“i can exclusively report that at some point in the season, some team may trade with some other team for a package which may involve roster players, prospects, and/or draft picks”

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. desertman says:

Eric Engels is saying the Habs and Colombus are definitely in talks. According to him the reported target is RJ Umberger, apparently the Habs management are really high on him… I would think Dubinsky could be an option as well.

Thoughts?

• Maritime Ronn says:

Prust knows Dubinsky well from their Rangers days together

• monmick says:

I like Dubinsky. He’s from Anchorage, Alaska just like another former Hab whose name escapes me…

Not sure why centres always come up in trade rumours. Maybe MT and MB have decided to keep Chucky on the wing…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• adamkennelly says:

I hope they are targeting Umberger or Dubinsky and not Gaborik…

• Ali says:

I’d love Dubinsky, guys a warrior.

• Savardian Spin-o-rama says:

Both are listed as centers. Don’t think our needs lie there. More size and scoring punch on the wing, especially the right is where I’d like to see an upgrade. Unless we’re unloading a center? But who? Not Larry I hope! Pleky either. DD, okay but I doubt MB will part with him the way he’s going now.

• Forum Dog says:

Umberger would be a beauty, especially if he were considered a longer term replacement for Gionta or Bourque. Big, strong and durable, he can skate and, when put in an offensive role, can pot a few goals. Habs would be giving up a prospect and a player in all likelihood, but depending on who, I would like this move.

• donmarco says:

I’d take Dubinsky any time, but both he and Umberger are over 4 million salary, so the trade would have to be someone from our roster and not just prospects or picks. Trying hard to see a scenario where it wouldn’t be six of one for a half dozen of the other.

14. Bill says:

Aaron “I can confirm that Jarome Iginla has been traded to the Boston Bruin” Ward?

Mr. Credibility!

15. monmick says:

On occasion this year, Julien has been using Chara as a forward on the power play and sending him in front of the net. If he does that tonight (and I hope he does), it should make for very interesting battles between Murray and Chara in front of Carey…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

16. The Dude says:

Man,am I SO LOOKING FOWARD to tonights brawls….I mean game.
    GO HABS GO

So Nick “I’m the next Don Cherry” Kypreos thinks the biggest problem with the Leafs is a lack of pushback with this years Leaf team compared to last years Leaf team.

Hmmmmm, Grabovski gone, Mcarthur gone, Clarkson in……

Yah its a physical thing Nick, can’t possibly be the fact the Leafs defence is exposed and all their scorers are hurt or not producing.

Ahhh I can’t wait for Sportsnet to take over, Kypreos is a genious.

• frontenac1 says:

Genius? Not me! Haven’t even come close in the NFL pool this season. Off to the Saloon to lay down another fin. Maybe this week eh amigo? Saludos!

18. donmarco says:

Bruins games can go either way. Might be end to end hard and fast hockey, or it might be a lot of after the whistle yapping and cheap plays. Here’s to hoping its the former. Bruins are bigger, Habs are faster. But I don’t think the Bruins have faced a Habs team in a long time that can roll out as many tough, grinding players as they’ll see tonight.

I’m torn on Parros, on the one hand he’s a deterrent to keep the late and cheap shots to a minimum but on the other hand he immediately shrinks the bench, and with the 3rd game in 4 nights Habs need to roll out 4 balanced lines to avoid fatigue becoming a problem in the third period. I suspect, though, that Parros will play, and needs the ice time.

Here’s hoping for a fast, tough and garbage free game. But if either team has a 3 goal lead in the third all bets are off.

Been looking forward to this game for a long time.

Hmmmm, you make a good point about shrunk bench in light of how much hockey this team has played recently.

• donmarco says:

Like I said Burli, I’m torn. I think the Habs will collectively play “bigger” with him in the lineup, the burden will not be on Prust to protect his teammates, but he won’t get more than 7-8 minutes, and that’s absolutely max. I’d hate to see Bournival sit, but he’s yet to experience what a game against the Bruins can turn into, so it may not be the worst thing in the world to sit him and let him experience it for the press box.

Guess I just talked myself into wanting Parros to play.

• Ali says:

If Parros doesn’t play against teams like the Bruins, Flyers and Leafs, there’s literally no point of him being on the team.

• donmarco says:

It was a mistake not to play him against the Sabres, and look what happened to Murray as a result. The thing is, as many others have posted, Boston doesn’t dress any classic enforcers, they play hard pretty much from top to bottom. Unlike the Leafs and Sabres who dress guys for one reason only.

19. Maritime Ronn says:

Bill

Re your post citing MacKinnon as the 2nd best player on the Halifax Mooseheads last year.

Respectfully and completely disagree.

I saw MacKinnon play a bunch of times last year and sometimes he almost looked bored – as in a supreme talent playing against so much lessor talents.

That changed at the Memorial Cup where he absolutely dominated and won the MVP of the Tournament and was key to that Championship.
    GP: 4.
    Goals: 7/13 points.

And please remember, MacKinnon will only turn 19 years old next September 2014.

Drouin was on a mission last year, as the year previous he was somewhat under the rader screen with 7 goals in 33 games, yet came alive in the playoffs.

Some scouts fell in love with Drouin, and had Drouin ranked above MacKinnon because they believed he had a better vision of the game and that MacKinnon was only a North-South type of guy.

There is also a reason why Drouin was returned to Halifax by the Yzerman Lightning.
    He just wasn’t ready.

Will Drouin have a better NHL career?
    Perhaps, and only time will tell, but MacKinnon is already doing quite well with 5 goals/16 points in 25 games along with a nice Plus + 4.

20. jsaz says:

Just brush it off. He made a minor mistake it happens and they got the win!! On to the Boston game

21. jsaz says:

Can’t wait for the game!! Bruins and habs games are better than leaf habs games. I wanna see chara worked by parros….. Probably won’t happen but it would be nice to see!!

22. Bill says:

I think any objective observer realizes that PK just lost control of the puck: total accident, could be rough ice, lapse of attention, a little of both, etc. and as someone astutely pointed out, Elias threw a little pick at Subban that prevented him from getting back in the play. I’m willing to forgive Subban’s subsequent trip of Elias after that.

The goals he saved in the previous game, however, were no accident. Pure PK.

Was very happy to see that Therrien broke with tradition and didn’t bench PK after the “giveaway”.

The two goals he saved the other night

• slyCH says:

Looked to me like PK lost his footing a bit and that perpetrated the loss of puck. The ice in general looked treacherous for the players all game.

• JF says:

Agreed, but I can still see it costing him.

• JUST ME says:

I will gladly deal with the details when the up side is so much more impressive. P.K. is still a kid and will make mistakes as every other players do. He is such a joy to see when he strarts skating in his own end and i just don`t know if it can get any better than this.

The thing is though that in MTL we probably do not realize, because we are not used to it anymore, that P.K. is a mega superstar for everyone else in the league also. He is feared and admired and closely looked at and listened to.

23. Sportfan says:

Tonight its going to be one heck of a game, Parros is going to be in the lineup I don’t see him not playing in this game.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

24. Bripro says:

It frustrates me to no end when people keeping making reference to Subban’s “defensive liability”.
    Carbonneau, as one of the smartest panelists on l’AntiChambre pointed out last night that every hockey player in the world, without exception, makes mistakes.
    The difference? If a forward does it, usually the D is there to back him up. But if a D does it, only the goalie is left to save the day, usually.
    The yahoos at TSN will surely bring up PK’s blunder that resulted in a goal last night, and it will not soon be forgotten.
    But will any of them, except for perhaps Ray Ferraro, bring up both of PK’s saves during their previous meeting earlier in the week.
    You take the good with the bad.

• krob1000 says:

What was more frustrating is the obsession with the slew foot…it definitely was one…but it was on the same guy who tripped DSubban 30 seconds before after he coughed up the puck…that is what gave Elia the time. he knew it after he was upended in the other zone..he did not argue…he knew he got away with one and he knew that was the make up.

• B says:

The two yahoos I saw last night on TSN, Kouleas and McLennan, went out of their way to say that Subban’s blunder was a rare mistake, that everyone makes mistakes and that it wasn’t a big deal.

–Go Habs Go!–

• Bripro says:

I didn’t see that. But I listened to Aaron Ward on TSN 690 around supper hour yesterday, and that his was the reference I used in describing a yahoo.
        He was gushing all over Pietrangelo.
        Perhaps that’s why I was quick in calling out yahoos, because I thought his comments were so unjustified.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

The key is to not listen to TSN’s (and CBC’s) biased commentary regarding PK. They always focus on the negative rather than the fact that he is one of the best players in the league.

• Sportfan says:

People seem to already forget the great defensive moves he made on Monday -_-

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

25. Casanova says:

Could we say that David Desharnais is the one that provided the spark for this current run with his shootout goal against the Blue Jackets? I know that we lost the following game to the Rangers but to me it seems like that was a turning point in the Habs season so far…

• krob1000 says:

I think it was all health and depth and the opportunity to match mineups and utilize a full roster. The ability to roll 4 lines and pick and choose the lineup based on opponent is something I cannot ever recall the HAbs having the luxury of.

26. Bill says:

Shiram:I don’t know. Chara punched down Boyle pretty fiercely last week.

27. UnkleGary says:

It’s really nice having these options for a lineup, one that can lean more on speed and scoring, and one that can lean more on hitting and toughness.
    Personally tonight I would go all out for toughness, I know that points are as valuable now as in April, but it would be nice to put it in the heads of the Bruins that there will be no rag dolling of any hab this year. And if there is you have to pay for it. As the season gets closer to the end, start dressing the best possible line up to win the game, worrying less and less about toughness. Fact is tonight can be viewed as a statement game, where more than the points matter. Parros, Prust, White and Moen would all be in tonight if it were up to me, a nice compliment to Murray, Emelin and Subban. I think Parros is the only player there that has to have really sheltered minutes, but I think Galley, Chucky and a few others will feel good seeing him on the bench.
    If this was a playoff game, then it would be very different, no way am I sitting Bournival, or Briere for that matter,
    Just my two cents on tonight. Just because it makes dollars doesn’t mean it makes sense ;)

CH-eers!

28. mfDx says:

just visited the comments section from a Bruins blog.
    Hard to believe it’s a college town.
    It feels like their tailgate party is well under way.
    What’s so wrong with the occasional spellcheck?
    Emelin vs Lucic pt 2?

Best poll question in a while. Still undecided. I know Thorton is not my answer.

Sent via drunken carrier pigeon

29. Bill says:

MRonn: Good points, but it only works if Chara and Lucik will actually fight Parros. I am sure Lucik would not. And I guess as for Chara, I am pretty sure he would not be afraid to and probably wins that fight!

But you make the best possible argument for having Parros in the line-up, and like I said, I’m not really opposed.

• slyCH says:

Lucik? Is that a pun I’m missing?

• shiram says:

Chara is not known for having great balance, and usually wrestles down his opponent, rather then punch them down.
      Could be an interesting tilt, but you have to figure he won’t fight him, Habs would have a 4 minute plugger in the box, while the Broonz would miss their best D.

• krob1000 says:

I would almost suspect Parros does go after Chara…. Chara’s rather classless attack on Emelin last year was IMO the first domino leading to PArros acquisition…line brawl vs Sens was strw that broke camels back IMO. In that game LUcic fought PRust and Chara fought Emelin…and Emelin was more or less assaulted by Chara…Chara got the instigator and basically jumped the much smaller Emelin. Here is the boxscore and you can see the Bruins taking advantage and going at PRust…Mcquaid and Hroton each also took roughing penalties against PRust. http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2012020316
      Important note…Montreal still won.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

Great if he does. Take the big lug out of the game for five, seven or more. With Parros in, I think he’ll avoid the fight. There’s the irony, I guess. With Parros in the lineup, he won’t be needed in this game. With him out, we’d wish he was in.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Bill you are another who actually enjoys a good tilt but want to be poitically correct….this site is full of those…if Montreal can win or do well it is a good thing..if they get manhandled as against Ottawa it a travisty……you are right though on Chara he likely would win that fight…..he hasn’t lost many. I researched this and he did lose to Peter Worrel and had a couple more indecisive wins/loses if you don’t listen to Bostons play by play guy…Edwards…he is a dangerous dude

30. Iceberg84 says:

Well said Claude Julien… Way to describe exactly how the Canadiens are doing compared to your team based entirely on a stats sheet that anyone could look at. Very astute.

31. Steeltown Hab says:

The Subban/MacKinnon rumor on HockeyBuzz just reeeakks of desperation, I actually feel bad for Eklund at this point.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

32. Maritime Ronn says:

@ Bill

Cannot argue with any of your points re Parros in the lineup, yet a hypothetical question to ponder:

Remember last year when the “non-fighter Emelin” checked another non-fighter Seguin?
    Chara chased Emelin all the way down the ice and put a pounding on him.

In case you forgot, here is the video.

The Hypothetical question to consider:
    Does Chara chase down Emelin and give him a pounding, knowing he will have to face Parros on the next shift…whether Chara wishes to engage or not?

If Chara chased down Moen, that would be 1 thing, but chasing down a ‘non-fighter’ MUST have some type of response….or as Brendan Gallagher says, ” the lost respect factor.”

The same goes with a potential Lucic style ‘Ryan Miller’ run at Carey Price.
    Does Lucic even consider that towards Price knowing he will have to deal with Parros on the next shift? ( the reason why the Sabres signed John Scott)

It is possible there will not be 1 single fight tonight.
    I still see this as a ‘tone setting’ game for the year with the Habs making a statement early in the season that they can NOW respond to the goonish garbage, if, and when needed.

Of course the Habs would prefer to play speed and skill hockey because few teams can match them there, yet they must make other teams know they can respond to the junk being thrown at them.

33. Bill says:

Put another way: I would much sooner trade Price than Subban, if we are talking about a superstar swap. I am a big Price fan, but goalies are easier to replace.

Lol: I would still do the classic Plekanec and Price for Mallon and Fleury deal!

Subban has to stay. BTW MacKinnon is not a superstar and his future is unknown. I can tell you that he wasn’t even the best player on his junior team last year, however.

34. sweetmad says:

Thanks so much for doing that for me slyCH,I was away from my puter so I didn’t see that you had done it,that was very kind of you,I really need a new puter, but it will have to do.

On another note some one said we have no one to fight Lucic,I don’t agree with fighting,but I can see Gally giving it a go.
    GO HABS GO

35. habstrinifan says:

Please go to this link. I think you will find the world to be a better place after!

36. Bill says:

We can’t believe what “Eklund” writes. Stop there.

Actually, even he himself admitted he had no source for those names and that it wasn’t a rumour! Rarely does he admit he’s actually just making stuff up, but he does this time.

That aside, as a hypothetical, I’m not interested. Galchenyuk is putting up similar (slightly better) numbers than MacKinnon right now. And yes, Galchenyuk is a year and a half older, and that’s important, but I’m not convinced that MacKinnon will be THAT much better than Galchenyuk down the road.

There’s no one like Subban: he’s not replaceable. Trade him and the D is in absolute shambles. It needs to be built around him for years to come.

• YoNiko says:

not to mention Mackinnon is playing much more ‘friendly minutes’ then Chucky is however he is playing in the west so.. it is a toss up… Whos to say that Mackinnon would have put up those numbers in mtl anyway.. and its not like hes blowing the league away or anything

37. Sportfan says:

Can Paul Stastny play the wing?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

38. JF says:

I love that the Habs are winning more than I thought they would, and I love how they’re winning. Last night was particularly impressive considering that the Devils’ stifling forecheck contained our offence for long stretches. After a stultifying second period in which almost nothing happened, they really grabbed the momentum in the third and probably deserved to win the game. But a lovely pass from Galcheyuk to Eller, produced the first tying goal, and the second was also a result of going to the net, which I think is something we’re doing more of in recent games, and generally more this season than last.

Not only is Desharnais playing his best hockey since his days with Erik Cole and Patch, but he even looks different. His facial expression and body language exude confidence, and even his features look sharper, as though everything had come into focus. He makes the shootout look easy, and I think it’s because he tries different things. He doesn’t skate in with a set purpose, but reads the goaltender’s intentions and movements, and is able to adjust at the last second.

P.K. made several bad plays last night (although Elias said he didn’t think the trip on our last goal was a slew foot), but I think his gaffe right at the end will cost him a spot on the Olympic team. At the very least, it will give his detractors fuel for their claim that he’s a high-risk player. The play was all over the English-language sports channels this morning, appearing, in fact, as the play of the night on one of them.

Overall we were lucky to get the win, but the Bruins will be tougher. If we’re to beat them, I think we have to pounce early, before they get their skating legs.

• Luke says:

Re: DD

Someone made a point on the radio (about a different player on a different team, but I forget who).

They mentioned that this struggling player was trying to do too much ‘with skill’ and not enough hard work.

It reminded me of DD, he’s got skill through the wazoo, but when he was trying to play skilfully it wasn’t working. When he started to just work hard and forget about making high-skill plays it seems that the high skill plays materialize for him.

I dunno, hard to explain…

• Cal says:

It’s DD’s stache. It’s given him his mojo back.

• sCOTT1243 says:

About your PK comment….I don’t agree, if they use that then they better prove that no one else on the squad has ever blown a play. Maybe we should remind them of the 2 goals he saved for Price the other night.

I wonder if the media is blowing this out of proportion because I have yet to see a comment from the Olympic team staff.

• JF says:

It’s just that the case against Subban rests on claims that he is a high-risk player. Even Mike Babcock says, when asked about P.K., that he wants players on the ice he can rely on. There seem to be quite a few influential hockey people who don’t want P.K. on the team, and this very visible gaffe is highlight-reel stuff that they can pull out and use as evidence. If it had happened to anyone else (and such turnovers happen to the best), it would be forgotten quickly. I just can’t see P.K.’s detractors not making the most they can of it.

39. Bill says:

Forum Dog: 15 million on two Dmen is a good sign: should mean you have two great Dmen!

I don’t think the Habs have any choice but to sign Markov. Six million is the minimum it’s gonna cost for a player as good as him.

I was playing around on cap geek, assuming a 70 million dollar cap. Resigned Markov for 6.5 and PK for 8.5. Leaves us with seven million left, short two defencemen. It also leaves us a little weak at right wing, because I cut Gionta loose and there is no replacement for him.

I think we have to hope that Tinordi and Beaulieu are NHL ready next year. Would leave the Habs about five million to spend on a RW.

I know the idea of having two rookie defenceman on the team next year is not appealing.

Every time I mess around on cap geek I am reminded how much I would hate to be a GM of a team!

• Forum Dog says:

Agreed on that point. If MB can find a way to keep both, I’m all for it. Crazy money flying around though, and a damn good thing the cap is going up. I’d say “thanks Rogers”, but I won’t…..

40. habstrinifan says:

Something tells me Connor Crisp is gonna be in our playoff picture.

41. Say Ash says:

“we’re counting on the fans to supply us with some energy.”

Yeah, I think you’ll be OK in that department.

42. Steeltown Hab says:

The hostility on the site needs to go down a bit, arguing is fine, people taking opinions personal, cmon. We have the same goal here.

———————————————————————————-

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

Wow, hard to believe how pumped I am for this game tonight. Have to believe all the players on both sides have seen this game on the schedule for quite some time.

Yah we are unlucky to be coming off numerous games while BOston rested, but oh well, its Bruins vs. Canadiens, the best rivalry in all of the NHL Period.

• habstrinifan says:

Funny when the HABS play the Bruins I am always pumped without any real fear. I am with you it’s simply the best ‘hockey” rivalry.

On the other hand when the HABS play the Leafs I am more nervous than pumped. Mainly because I know the Leafs and their ‘Nation’ think if the beat the Canadiens in a game they somehow measure up as a franchise… and you hear about it non stop on TSN/CBC etc.

• Cal says:

7 hours to go. Tick, bloody slow tick, even slower tick…. aaaaargh!

44. Bripro says:

Some unbiased stats for Mr Ram truck who said on the previous thread that the Bs 4th line can score but ours can’t.
    The Bs +/- is +20 and the Habs is + 18.
    Since our 4th line has shuffled a little more than theirs, I will use the usual suspects to make my point.
    Thornton, Paille and Campbell – $4MM combined have totalled 12 points so far this year.
    White, Prust and Bournival – $3.86MM have combined for 16 points.
    In no way am I saying that the Habs fourth line is better, but to say that theirs can score and ours can’t is short-sighted.
    I would say that on any given day, either team can win and either of the fourth lines can produce.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Bournival got majority of those points playing with Pleks, but Bournival has made the 4th an effective line forsure.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

45. Forum Dog says:

It’s gonna be harder for the Habs to get to the net tonight. Gallagher has inspired his line-mates to go there a bit more aggressively recently, but a few Chara cross-checks might weaken their resolve. They’re gonna have to man up tonight and be willing to take some lumps, and hope they can capitalize on whatever PPs they get.

I for one am glad Parros is in. Not because he is gonna give 10 minutes of 200 foot hockey, but because Chara, Lucic, Marchand, Campbell and Thornton will know that if they fug around with Price, Subban or others after whistles or in front of the net, someone is gonna have to dance. I doubt they’re scared of Parros (who is not an angry fighter), but there are very few people anxious to trade punches with someone who goes 6’5″/230lb.

46. Steeltown Hab says:

Something I wanna see even though I’m not huge on fighting, is some emotion in the fights. Prust and Parros fight like it’s a business transacation (which is fine) but doesn’t effect momentum IMO.

Best habs fight in recent history is still Whitey called up and going right at Boychuk after he took a run at Subban, that to me is what its about.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• Cal says:

Like when Parros went after Orr who had gone after Subban, right?

• Phil C says:

Did you read the ESPN article on Parros? Parros says he never fights because of anger as that’s how you swing out of control and get hurt. I think it it still gives the team a lift though, it still takes guts to fight.

• slyCH says:

Ask Cam Janssen how he feels about that upper-cut “transaction” Prust delivered in the first period.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“Prust and Parros fight like it’s a business transaction.”

In the words of George Costanza – in reference to Jerry’s Coke machine/relationship analogy – “that was beautiful”.

Agreed on White’s fight. That’s still one of my favourites! Have been a fan (of White) ever since.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Yes you are a huge fan of fighting…why not fess up instead of trying to be politically correct.

• monmick says:

I wonder whether White has been told not to fight — with last years series of bad decisions leading to untimely penalties? He certainly appears much less eager this year…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

47. Habfan10912 says:

@Ram Tough. I’m so sorry that my response to your earlier post drew attacks both pro and against some sadly turning personal  My intention was to give a friendly tip and am sorry it was taken in a way that I certainly didn’t intend.
    Of course your free to post here in any style you seem fit. Your opinions are always welcome here. It’s unfortunate that instead of debating Ryder’s plus and minuses of his game it turned into a argument about cliques, anti summit and everything under the sun except Ryder.
    The next time I’ll keep my opinion to myself. I apologize for the angst it caused.

CHeers.

• Kooch7800 says:

Such a poop disturber Jim….C’mon! ;)

Everyone knows you are a good egg and we want to hear your opinions. It is the different opinions on this site that make it interesting.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Cal says:

Jim, don’t do that. Your opinion is as valid as anyone’s here on the site. Some posters don’t realize how anti-discussion they are being by what they write.

• Bripro says:

Jim, anyone who knows you from this site knows that ypur opinion is always unbiased and honourable.
      O
      I wouldn’t sweat it.
      Besides if you start getting out of hand, we’ll just have to call in the moderators.

48. Kooch7800 says:

Here is a question….if PK gets 8 mill per season does Markov ask for more than 5.75 which he is currently making? If PK is worth 8 Markov is worth well over 7

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• monmick says:

PK is a darn good hockey player and a marketer’s dream. Markov is a darn good hockey player. That is the difference. Nobody comes to the rink to see Markov play…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Kooch7800 says:

….For years Markov has been our best d man and too be honest he is currently also our best D man. PK is uber talented and has skill coming out the ying yang but I also think Markov is helping PK reach his potential. Markov is a beast

If our team was to lose Markov next year our Defense would really suffer. Same could be said for PK but I think the impact would be worse with Markov currently but this will change in the next couple of years

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Steeltown Hab says:

I agree with notion about Markov being a massive piece we can’t lose. Subban is the best player on the team regardless of position, we analyse him the hardest but there shouldn’t be any doubt in that.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• mfDx says:

If I was paid almost $10million over the last few years to rehab from an injury, I would be man enough to not ask for a raise.

Sent from my CHphone

• Forum Dog says:

Markov may be worth $6M on a two year deal, but if Subban succeeds in getting his $8M+, can the Habs afford Markov? Nearly $15M for two D-men is a lot of jack…..

• Kooch7800 says:

not to mention you have Gionta as a FA, Eller needs to be re-upped, Diaz as well, Murray…..

might have to buy out Briere to use the money for more offense

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Bripro says:

I agree 100% Kooch.
          We just have to look at how the team fared during the time he was out after his surgeries.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

What if, PK gets 8 years for a price of 9-10 Million/yr? How would Bergevin respond to that? Other than that, Markov will ask for raise after season’s done. But I don’t think he will get a longer contract extension. Too risky IMO.

• Kooch7800 says:

I don’t think PK could get 9 mill -10 mill a season. He is an elite D man but he isn’t Crosby, Stamkos or Malkin. You need to be over 100 points for that to start happening. If it goes to arbitration it would be around 7.5 to 8 mill would be my guess

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• slyCH says:

I’m just glad I don’t have to be in the room with the agents to negotiate. Who’s Markov’s new agent anyway.

• Steeltown Hab says:

PK would gladly take 7.25 if it meant the C on his jersey

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

49. Bill says:

Like I said earlier, I’m fine with Parros drawing in, but who is his opponent?

I’m reading things like Parros will keep Chara and Lucik honest … how? Those guys don’t fight guys like Parros. And he won’t force the issue (code). Prediction: Lucik and Chara will be as physical as ever, and they won’t fight Parros.

Who else is there? Thornton? He’d probably go with Parros, although he’s more of a middleweight and doesn’t have to. Campbell? Middleweight, wouldn’t fight Parros anyway. McQuaid? Not playing.

I don’t see anyone there who will dance with Parros, no one who could not easily refuse a fight without looking bad.

So what is Parros’s function tonight? If he’s actually gonna go out there and punch Chara in the face, I’m all for it. But if not?

I don’t know how this will play out tonight, but for some reason I just get a good feeling about Parros being in the lineup. Perhaps as I have alluded to before, just so that Prust doesn’t get tarred and feathered by Lucic.

If no fighting happens tonight, I am very good with that, but again, my concern is that a Prust or someone gets suckered into a losing battle.

• shiram says:

He could try to play a pest, cheap shot the Bruins talent player etc…
      Would make for a nice reversal of roles.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

The thing I’m most worried about is how much double-shifting an already tired team will have to do against a very well-rested team to compensate for the minutes that Parros won’t be playing.

• Cal says:

Parros’ function will be like it was against the laffs. Orr tried to go after Subban and Parros was there, preventing Subban from having to fight that big clown.
      I’d rather not have enforcers, but with the league being what it is, the Habs have no choice but to fight fire with fire. So what if Chara and Lucic are considered “better” players? They’re gutless pukes that go after smaller players whose backs are already turned. And the refs love them.

50. DalEng says:

Can’t wait for tonight.

PK will be a game changer tonight after an off night. These are the games he thrives for.

51. slyCH says:

SWEETMAD poem:

Nice ALN last night Mr Boone,
    Not so full of doom and gloom,
    My team is always first,I don’t need a prize,
    I don’t even care about their size,
    Watching Gio,Gally and DD,battle it out,
    I’m 5 foot nothing,I know what that’s about.

Carey and Peter what a team,
    With Waite to help them,they are playing real mean,
    PK and Markov,they really know how to play,
    They are the best,don’t care what the pundits say,
    Emi and Josh,just know what to do,
    I love Diaz,wish all of you did too,
    About Murry,I wasn’t sure,
    I don’t feel like that any more.

Pleks is always number one for me,
    Trading him,I hope I never see,
    Patches is basically a gentle soul,
    I don’t care,as long as he’s shooting at goal,
    Briere,he isn’t really on any line,
    I’m still not sure after all this time.

Chucky and Larry need another young man,
    What about Bournavile,we know that he can,
    Shoot,score,buzz and hustle,
    We need Prust on the 4th line to tussle,
    Moen and White are doing alright,
    They are playing hockey,no need to fight.

Parros is a nice guy, but he has no pace,
    He will never win a hockey race,
    Bourque is out,I’m sorry he’s hurt,
    He can really skate and put on a spurt,
    Drewski I don’t expect ever to see,
    Would have liked to give him a chance,but thats just me.

With all the young un’s waiting in the wings,
    The future for me,really swings,
    MB is not doing anything rash,
    There is no reason about him, to bash,
    Was not happy about signing MT,
    But he’s doing alright with me.

That’s my team,and they are doing great,
    For tonights game I can’t wait,
    Of the Gooins,I’m not scared,
    I have enough optimism,it can be shared,
    As long as we come out and play OUR game,
    The result should be just the same.
    GO HABS GO

HabinBurlingtonDECEMBER 5, 2013 AT 11:14 AM

52. sweetmad says:

Damn and blast,I just spent a hour posting a poem on ALN,lost it once and had to do it again,can some one cut and paste it on here for me,my puter is so old,it will do nothing and I am not sure if I can even remember how to do it,it is one of my best,and took such a long time,I am going to cry.
    GO HABS GO

53. habstrinifan says:

Watching last night’s game one can understand why coaches revert to systems which are based, maybe too inordinately, on the ‘safe first’ play. It was a comedy of errors on both sides. And yes P.K. Subban was a repeat offender many times over in that game.

But I am posting not to add to any criticism but just express my hope that Therrien and his staff impress the team to be more determined defensively without diminishing what I see as an upswing in the playmaking and on the attacking/forechecking hockey being played by the team now.

In last night’s game both NJ and Mtl committed many gaffes and giveaways. But for the most part, the HABS kept trying to take the game to NJ, except maybe early in the 2nd period.

I have not seen the HABS play a stretch of forechecking/aggressive type hockey like this for a very long time… maybe 2 to 3 years. They will have games like last night, but I think in the long run the the overall skill and chemistry of the team will develop to its optimum level if they maintain this style of play.

Please lets us not have a step back to playing, as Max Pacoretty described, ‘on our heels ‘because of this one game. I don’t think I have seen the HABS play more determinedly aggressive against the NJ style than the last two games.

Let’s continue. And while we are at it, no ‘line brawls ‘to set the ‘tone’ early in tonight’s game. I think it worked to our advantage that Orr and Parros did not fight early in the Toronto game. I think it kept the HABS focused on their playmaking. Let’s follow that recipe for tonight.

54. Arnou Ruelle says:

3 things:

1) I was a bit harsh with Galchenyuk. Ok, point well taken, my bad. He can play at his age in the NHL.

2) I was right before with Bournival being with the Eller line. Now we have 2 kid lines and 2 veteran lines working.

3) $8.33M/yr – 50 Million for 6 years as a rumoured offer for PK Subban, looks Expensive to me. How can Bergevin sway #76 to stay for 8 years on a ‘reasonable’ amount? – http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201312/04/01-4717752-huit-millions-par-saison-pour-pk-subban.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_hotTopics_sujets-a-la-une_1664122_accueil_POS1

• Kooch7800 says:

That seems high to me as well. I was thinking 8 flat out but with that Rogers deal he might get more. Problem is we have to sign Markov back cause he is key on our Defense and there will be some other raises this year as well.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• DipsyDoodler says:

Salaries are going up. Look at what Lundquist got. His contract will take him from age 32 to 39, $8.5M/yr, not the peak years for a keeper. I suspect he is already in slight decline.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Even though the cap will go up as salaries do, I don’t see it why PK’s agency will trap management with that offer sheet. This offer will make Bergevin think twice before agreeing.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t think Bournival will play with that line….that happened when team was down late in the game…was great coaching. Prust was there earlier to dal with Janssen and Prust wouldhave stayed there if the Habs stayed ahead likely. MT adjusted to the situation…no different than what he has been doing with Briere/Moen playing with Gio-Pleks. I would suspect tonight is an ideal time to have Prust looking after Eller and Glachenyuk…and if they get down again? then you adjust.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

We’ll see. We don’t know what is going to happen later. All I know is that MT will doing anything to make this team work. And he has done that by switching players on any of the 4 lines. Who knows Bournival could well click with Eller and Galchenyuk.

• krob1000 says:

I know Bournival wouold work there..he also worked with Pleks and Gionta. The idea though is twofold…have a touch of scoring ont he fourth and to provide a little spae and protection to Galchenyuk and Eller. I agree he wil do wahtever it takes but since he has started dressing 4 lines that have potential to possilby be an offesnive threat and that can play bigger minutes team has been successful. Another factor is that Prust is reliable defensively and can help Eller out.
          Bournival is not as good in his own zone but is ok with Pleks/GIo. Mt has different gameplans according to situations, scores, opponents,etc…it is a refreshing change to adapt as opposed to JM’s written in stone 10 game plans. Jm was a defensive genius but theose 10 game plans he would not deviate from were enough to drive many a fan and likely a player bonkers.

• Steeltown Hab says:

Thng is everyone has thought of Bournival with them, it’s the natural fit, and even after they score on a 15 second shift they didn’t get another shift together.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

55. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Really hope the Habs dont’ dress Parros. This will be their 3rd game in 4 nights. They can’t afford to be double shifting people to fill in his spot on the 4th line for the 56 minutes that he doesn’t play.

• Habfan10912 says:

That is a good point ghost but didn’t MB go out and get him for games against the tougher Bruin, Leaf and Senators of the world?

• Ian Cobb says:

JIM!
        Thanks for the pictures and the video my friend.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Yep, I understand that. And if this was a week where we’d played a normal schedule, I’d be fine with it.

I’m just worried about playing a team that’s been resting since Saturday. If I’m Julien, I tell my guys, I don’t give a shit what the score is after the first. Hit everything that moves and wear ‘em down. We need every horse tonight and Parros, God love ‘em, is not gonna play a solid 10 minutes. Maybe though, maybe.

Moen-White-Prust isn’t an awful fourth line either — they can all hit, fight and forecheck. And are responsible defensively.

• Kooch7800 says:

I said the exact same thing earlier in the thread but it looks like he will be in the line up.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

56. habsguru says:

so if Parros plays 4 mins, and goats Chara into a fight, removing him from the ice for 5 mins, for the likes of Gally to wreak havoc in the ozone, is that not a smart play? Parros will keep Chara and Lucic honest, and White/Prust/Moen/Murray can deal with the non oger sized d baggs, and hopefully the top two lines can play without WWE trash can night breaking out

• doc359 says:

Chara and Lucic will never fight Parros. They know when he is out there they can score goals easier.

• Walmyr says:

I don’t like the Stinky Little Rat
      I don’t like Darth Chara Vader
      I don’t like McQuaid
      I don’t like Rask
      I don’t like Thornton
      I don’t like Claude Julien
      Well…I just don’t like the Boston Bruins…

sorry to bother you guys…but yep, I feel better now…

GO HABS GO!!!

More SUMMIT pictures are up on the HIO Summit Facebook site.

Once you are there, click onto the PHOTO button pic.

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

58. mdp2011 says:

Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 11s
    #canadiens Francis Bouillon et Ryan White patinent ce matin. Ils devraient être laissé de côté ce soir.

Translation-Bouillion and White skating this morning, expected to be healthy scratches.

59. slyCH says:

We could’a used Bourque’s big body tonight.

60. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Tonight’s game could be epic. The Habs are totally up, and the Bell Centre will be rocking. Go Habs!

61. Mattyleg says:

I don’t care how well we do tonight.

We’re at the mercy of the schedulers, and we’ve racked up an incredible 13 out of 14 available points in our last 7 games. I’d much rather lose to the Broons in a back-to-back game than drop games against Buffalo or New Jersey.

That being said, we’re playing amazing hockey, and as we saw last year, we seem to play our best when we play a lot. Like Carey Price.

This all just goes to show that whichever team keeps healthiest does best in this Era Of Parity. For those who were saying ‘yeah, but every team gets injuries’ at the beginning of the season when we were icing half a Bulldogs’ roster, pass your pearl of wisdom to TB or the soon-to-be-slumping Red Wings.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Cal says:

I’m not expecting a good second half. Be nice for the Habs to score 5 before then, though.

• shiram says:

There’s parity among cap spending teams, the cap cellar teams struggle for wins most of the time.
      And I think it’s important to show up tonight, the Bruins are the Habs eternal enemies, and it’s always good to show them they’re not the only good team in the division.
      Also points against the Bruins are more important if the team is challenging for first place in the division.
      I want a good 60 minutes of hockey aftrer enduring 2 games that were mostly borefest.

• kalevine says:

It seems like most of the last 5 years Habs and Bruins have to some extent duked it out for first in the division. I feel more comfortable when Habs don’t get too focused on that. After all, it didn’t help them alot last year against an upstart Ottawa team

62. slyCH says:

I hope they don’t trade Max. For God’s sake.

63. habs-fan-84 says:

With the weather in southern Ontario right now and playing the Bruins tonight, it almost feels like spring time hockey is here

DIdn’t see much of the game last night, just some highlights, but looks like ma man little Davey saved the day again. He is awesome. What is Bergevin waiting for?

Tonight Habs need Moar. Murray, Prust, Moen, Parros keeping things in check. Little Davey lighting it up. Problem solved.

65. slyCH says:

Might as well transfer my Bruins experience to this new thread. Damn timing.

Here’s a little tid bit. I played hockey against Cam Neely and Jozef Stumpel once. That’s right, THE Jozef Stumpel. It wasn’t on ice but in an outdoor roller rink, on foot. I worked at a station in Massachusetts for 5 years from 1990 to 95, WAAF, and the station had a promotion with the band Extreme and said Bruins players for a game. I showed up and played wearing a habs hat and had a talk with Neely before the game. He was cool. I played defense and Neely came up the boards at one point with the puck, on my side, so, I did what any good D would do and back-pedaled my way to him, a la PK, butt-first and stick rink side in case he decided to cut to the net or pass to Nuno Bettencourt coming up center ice. ( Nuno played with a stick, not a guitar.) As I’m doing this I can see a smerk on Neely’s face just before my 5’10 200 pound frame bounced off of him like a rag doll. Yeah, that was fun. Hope we take it to the bruins tonight.

So Buffalo is loaning Grigorenko to Russia for World Jr’s, smart move by Buffalo.

NEWS ALERT: The #Sabres announce the team will loan forward Mikhail Grigorenko to the Russian men’s national junior ice hockey team.

As Per Arpon Basu Twitter

67. twilighthours says:

I would sit Parros. He’s not as good at hockey as Bournival or White is. However, I would be ok with Parros dressing if, IF,

he doesn’t engage in some meaningless fight with Thornton that will have no impact on the game and instead goes ape-sh!t and goons the heck out of some Bruin. I’m talking a real rag-dolling, a thorough beat-down. He probably couldn’t pull that off against Lucic, Chara, or McQuaid but I’d be tickety-boo if he did it to Marchand, Krecji, Boychuck, Rask, Campbell, Paille, or really anybody.

I’m mostly a pacifist and I wish fighting wasn’t part of the game but every now and then you’ve gotta set aside what you feel is right and just cheer for something that is wrong.

The Bruins do that to me.

68. Maritime Ronn says:

Really looking forward to the battle in front of the net tonight between …Chara and Douglas Murray, if and when the Bruins have a Power Play.

Because of some great play by deemed Bruin smallish Dman rookie Torey Krug (7G/16 points), Chara has been moved to the forward position on the Bruins power play.

Nov.12th…” Chara has scored three goals this season (he now has 6), all on the power play, and all positioned in front of the net….Chara has shown a knack not just for screening the goaltender and winning physical battles, but for working with the puck behind the opposing goal after even doing some dangling around the slots and in the circles.”

Tale of The Tape:
    Chara..: 6′ 9″ – 255.
    Murray.: 6’3″ – 240.

Perhaps we’ll get a better picture of why GM Bergevin signed Murray, and how he makes out with that tough match-up in front of Carey…let alone all the other Bruin net crashers.

And let’s remember, Murray cost the Habs nothing to acquire in terms of players or draft choices, and comes with a cheap 1 year deal of $1.5M.

• slyCH says:

I’m afraid to read. Are they homering it up?

• arcosenate says:

Very interesting stats:

With Budaj starting in Wednesday’s game, the Canadiens will likely turn to Carey Price for this one. Price has a 1.80 goals-against average during a string of five consecutive wins, but hasn’t performed as well against the Bruins lately.

He’s 1-4-1 with a 2.40 GAA in his last seven matchups but stopped 26 shots in the home win in April. Boston’s Tuukka Rask has fared even worse in the rivalry, going 1-7-1 with a 3.23 GAA in his last nine matchups.

69. Stretch says:

Now who would you sit for this game?

Bourque is hurt, so that’s obvious, but I would also sit Diaz and Briere as physically they don’t match up well against the Bruins and probably could use the rest.

Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
    Prust Plekanec Gionta
    Galchenyuk Eller Bournival
    Moen White Parros

Subban Markov
    Georges Emelin
    Bouillon Murray

Price
    Budaj

• Maritime Ronn says:

Diaz has found his rightful place on the 3rd pairing in Even Strength situations and is an overall better match with Murray than Bouillon – that is, when Diaz doesn’t play scared.

Would love to see Bournival play, yet sometimes veteran pecking order gets in the way.
      Bournival with Eller or Plex is a no brainer…but sitting an experienced Briere may not be the answer.

Since coming back from his concussion, he has 4 goals-3 assists in 11 games and is Plus +1.

70. commandant says:

Give us a hand with the latest article/poll, we can use your votes and comments on the NHL’s most hated team.

Grigorenko sent to the WJC

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

A Bruins preview for tonight. Reading the bottom footnotes, you see them discuss possible “scrappers” for Montreal. You will also see that Lucic and Chara have fought in consecutive games leading up to tonight.

But I have it on authority from many here that Chara and Lucic indeed don’t fight, so I guess no Parros needed……..

No McQuaid for Boston tonight, bit of a break for us.

Tim Peel and Dave Jackson are the refs tonight.

72. YoNiko says:

SECOND

I understand how some people feel like certain players are struggling etc. But really, its all relative to how we look at things.

For example, since being stripped of Gally11, Chucky and Larry have so called been ‘struggling’

Lets take things into perspective.

in the last 5 games,

Chucky has 3 points in 5 games ,2 goals(1 GWG) and 1 assts is a +1 and was benched an entire period in one of those games. he has also played a total of 1:47 of power play time in that span.

Larry has 4 points in 5 games, 1 goal and 3 assts, is a +2, two shootout goals in that span and has played a total of 1;59 of power play time.

Gally has 1 point in 5 games, 1 goal is a -2 and has played 4:22 of power play time.

so really, it all depends on how you look at things. Not to mention that Gally has played with the two hottest players on the team while Larry and Chucky have played with a hard working Brandon Prust.

Let’s not over analyze things either. Sure the kids could all play better. We really need to take things in stride though.

Oh.. and Murray > FrankieBoo

73. commandant says:

I won the HIO first place battle

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

74. Steven says:

I wouldn’t.

Although you always love a #1 center and having more than one is a good thing, you need some balance on your team, too. Galchenyuk in all likelihood will be a #1 sometime soon. Subban is an undisputed #1 defenceman and then we have Price in nets. You trade Subban(who is irreplaceable in his entire capacity) and you get two #1 centers(maybe 3, it depends on how you look at Eller) and a gap on defence.

Not worth it, though I’d be all for getting MacKinnon by some other means.

75. ooder says:

an established norris winner for an unproven rookie who is playing on the third line?
    umm what

76. mfDx says:

Yeah. Do it, and the Habs will definitely make the playoffs in 2016.

Sent from my CHphone

77. The Dude says:

Subban is top 5 and growing period.Trade Markov .

78. Propwash says:

I stopped reading once Eklund was mentioned.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

79. Bripro says:

What? Do you work for TSN?

80. YoNiko says:

I like how the rookie from colorado is a ”#1 Center” but the runner up to rookie of the year, Defending Norris Trophy winner and a point per game Dman in the playoffs is just ‘a very good Dman whos prone to mistakes”

81. habs-fan-84 says: