Habs, Bruins in battle for first place

After arriving home late following Wednesday night’s 4-3 win over the Devils in New Jersey, only a handful of players skated Thursday morning in Brossard, including Ryan White and Francis Bouillon, as the Canadiens prepare to face the Boston Bruins for the first time this season Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690). There was no morning media availability.

The Canadiens are 7-0-1 in their last eight games and will be playing their third game in four nights. The Bruins haven’t played since Saturday, when they beat the Columbus Blue Jackets 3-1.

The Canadiens (17-9-3) are in third place in the Eastern Conference, trailing the first-place Pittsburgh Penguins (19-9-1) by two points and the Bruins (18-7-2) by one. The Penguins play host to the San Jose Sharks Thursday night.

“Our focus was on tonight’s game, and now we’re going to have to find some energy for tomorrow,” Canadiens coach Michel Therrien told reporters after Thursday’s game in New Jersey. “This is a tough part of the schedule for us. The Bruins are fresh because they haven’t played since Saturday. But we’re playing at home and we’re counting on the fans to supply us with some energy.”

Boston coach Claude Julien had this to say about the Canadiens on the Bruins’ website: “Their team has really in the last month stabilized themselves. Defensively, they’re not giving much. They’re right behind us in goals against.”

After Thursday’s game, the Bruins and Canadiens won’t meet again until Jan. 30 in Boston.

(Photo by Jared Wickerham/Getty Images)

Habs vs. Bruins preview, NHL.com

Canadiens aim to pass Bruins, NHL.com

Bruins Blog, bostonbruins.com

Bruins Beat: B’s Battle Montreal (video), bostonbruins.com

Desharnais proves his worth to Habs, by Pat Hickey

Habs continue hot streak, by Pat Hickey

Dear Canada video a HNIC masterpiece, by Dave Stubbs

Bournival impresses old junior coach, by Brenda Branswell

Habs vs. Devils photo gallery, montrealgazette.com

$8 million a season for Subban? La Presse

Top 5 Most Memorable Moments against the Bruins, Canadiens.com

Habs’ Parros the focus of ESPN.com feature story, Stu on Sports blog

Bruins’ Shawn Thornton on fighting, ESPN Boston

Behind the B (video), bostonbruins.com

Hudon could be diamond in the rough for Habs, Stu on Sports blog

Would Habs trade Max Pacioretty? Stu on Sports blog

Sometimes you can’t beat the postgame spread, N.Y. Times

1. Fred D says:

My very first hockey game ,ever, in 1952,when I was 8 years old,saw me standing on the seat in the old Montreal Forum with my Father and yelling”Come on Boston”, through the very heavy haze of cigarette smoke. My Father wanted to disown me! Since then my geographical logic and my Father’s programming, have “kicked in” and I am pulling for the Habs, but I always enjoy these games. Here’s to a good clean match and fire-wagon hockey, which is so rare everywhere in the league these days!!

2. Bill says:

Luke: Well, who wouldn’t want to have a beer with George Parros? You can talk politics and world issues and hockey and fighting. It’s a perfect bro date.

3. Luke says:

Sportfan won the race. you can hang out here, or join the new thread. Your choice.

4. krob1000 says:

Hopefully there are some shorter shifts tonight…the HAbs got caught several times last night overstaying their shifts.

5. habs-fan-84 says:

It’s not going to be the same without Horton on the Bs tonight. He was always looking to get into it with PK. Ah well, I’m sure someone will try and punk it up, for which we will finally have an answer.

6. Sportfan says:

Let’s bet on the next team that might rumored to be linked with the Habs :P Since we’ve just gone through Winnipeg, Colorado and Columbus. Let me take a stab next rumored team to be Pheonix cause why not :P

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Luke says:

There was also the Dallas mega-deal, don’t forget. And Philly and the Kings at the start of the season. And the Panthers last week.

I think I’m gonna say… West coast… a new deal with the LA kIngs is in the making. Multiplayer. Includes some pretty prominent names that I think you’d find surprising.

• jackbutt says:

I hear NY Rangers. On the nhl.com canadiens bruins forum.

7. Bripro says:

I’m listening to AM690, and they just replayed a small cut of Lucic (paraphrasing):
    “We don’t really like embellishment in this room.”
    I guess that means they don’t like either The Rat or The Coach.

8. Reflektor says:

Wishes for tonight:

1. Habs win
    2. No injuries (OK, Chara can suffer something)
    3. Leafs lose
    4. Mr. Negativity Boone is 100% positive

9. montreal ace says:

I love how people say a fight is staged as it implys there is no emotion in them, and its just two guys preforming for the crowd. I just call it the cost of taking care of business. I also call it, try that when I am freaking around, and your next performance will be your last..

10. Bill says:

Well I guess all in all I am in favour of playing Parros tonight. We all know Julien likes to goon it up and the league lets him.

However. If he tries it tonight, and Parros does some “code” thing and let’s the perp walk away from punishment, it’s gonna be hard for me to accept his place on the team anymore.

You all know I don’t buy that “deterrent” stuff: having tough guys on a team has never stopped the opposition from taking cheap shots and never will.

But I can get behind vengeance and retribution. I’m not a Christian or anything.

11. Bill says:

HF10912: Ha, you say that now. None of us ever takes a loss to the Bruins well. Third game in four nights against a rested team: hope they’ve got something left! Hate those B’s.

12. Hobie Hansen says:

The Bruins know the Habs are going to be sore and out of gas by the 3rd period. They love playing in Montreal and hearing the crowd gasp and react to their thuggery and physical play. The Bruins are going to be charged up and will try to physically punish the Habs.

It would be quite the feat if the Habs were able to pull this one off. By winning tonight, their current stretch of games would have to be up there with anything they’ve done in the past 18 years?

Aside from the win, I seriously hope when don’t sustain any injuries due to being tired or by other means. And I hope that if the game gets real physical with hitting and fights, that this is where the Habs are finally able to put their foot down and stand up to the Bruins.

GO HABS GO!

13. Bill says:

I missed the Prust-Jansen fight, looks like Prust tagged him pretty hard in that gif. Was he okay? Not that Jansen has many brain cells to lose, as I recall.

14. Bill says:

No hearing for Subban, because it wasn’t that much of a play. Happens a couple of times a night.

15. Bill says:

I don’t know that Betgevin was thinking specifically of Boston when he signed Parros. I think he was simply taking the advice of his new assistant GM, Habs Prof, who on his first and last day on the job threatened to carve N.A.G. into Berg’s forehead unless he wished up.

The funny thing about Boston Bruins, in the two years which they won the CUp and made the Cup final they easily could have been eliminated in first round by Montreal and Toronto.

The first round is the toughest round to win, and with it comes incredible momentum. Our team is very close to being a team that could make a significant run. We just dont have the experience in our youth yet, and could use some more goalscoring.

I think our team is completely on the right track, at least based on how we have played the past 10 games.

• Phil C says:

If the Habs can make it to Apr 13th as healthy as they are now, I like their chances, regardless of experience or goal scoring. (okay maybe pick up a goal scorer…)

17. Bripro says:

“Renaud Lavoie ‏@LavoieRenaud 1h
    No hearing for PK Subban for his slew foot on Patrick Elias last night. ”

I should hope not. They overlooked Elias interference 3 seconds before.

18. Bill says:

Former minor-pro player’s view on fighting/enforcers:

19. DipsyDoodler says:

When Gandhi was asked about western civilization, he said “I think it would be a good idea”.

The same applies to a hockey team in the greater Toronto area.

20. adamkennelly says:

do yourself a favor and read the ESPN article about Parros…he’s a smart dude – knows his role and does it well…I guarantee if anyone on the Bruins does anything remotely aggressive towards our skilled players – he will take care of business – and not by stage fighting Thornton…he’ll be happy to smack Lucic around – or at least try.

• Phil C says:

I doubt Parros would grab him though if Lucic did not oblige. Therein lies the problem with playing Parros against Boston.

• jrs10069 says:

do yourself a favor and stop using that expression. Makes you sound like a huge douche.

ESPN doesn’t know anything about hockey.

If Parros is so smart, why doesn’t he figure out that he goes down very hard (had a gf like that once) and address it.

now do yourself a favour and spell things with u’s, habs are canadian

jrs10069

• Luke says:

Actually, in reading that ESPN article, I very much get the impression he WOULD NOT just grab Lucic and smack him around. In fact, he weighs heavier on the side of staged fighting when you take into account the John Scott quotes.

And Parros sometimes fights as a favor to other fighters. As Scott says, “In one of my first fights, my team was down three goals in the third. I said to George, ‘You wanna go?’ George said, ‘Not really. But you’ll owe me one.’ Now anytime he wants to fight me, I will.”

Good article though, here it is:

Writer seems obsessed with the fact that he’s having a beer(s) with Parros though…

• DipsyDoodler says:

Parros is Mr Staged Fighting.

21. Habfan10912 says:

Glad Bournival appears to be in tonight. It will be good for the young man to introduce himself to the Bruins.

It’s hard to criticize the moves this team is making. Parros provides protection to our skilled dman and Prust, Moen and Murray provide some to the forwards. The Bruins will see a different look from Montreal tonight.

Your boss (MB) brings in a new employee (Parros) to serve in a certain function against certain teams. You (MT) play him. No argument from me.

One other thought. Am I off the mark by thinking this team is now playing with house money. 3 wins in 3 games going into tonight. I’m satisfied win or lose tonight. At least until the puck drops.

22. Luke says:

Tried to post this Gif of Cam getting uppercutted. Trying again… Enjoy….

Some NSFW text as they quote Cam’s social equality views.

23. Bripro says:

In case it hasn’t been posted, here’s Arpon Basu’s report on tonight’s game.

24. CHicoHab says:

A Jim the anvil Neidhart goatee

25. CHicoHab says:

A goatee on White will suffice.

White needs to grow his hair back

27. Stevie.Ray says:

Bourque vs. Paille
    Markov vs Seidenberg
    Emelin vs. Boychuk
    Tinordi vs. Hamilton
    Beaulieu vs. Krug

• twilighthours says:

Bergeron is the only Bruin I like. The rest can crawl in a hole.

• doc359 says:

Bergeron, fantastic talent, but Pleks does everything he does, just not quite as well

Eller, I think he can grow into a better all-round player

Subban and its not close. Wouldn’t trade Subban for anyone

Gallagher, he isn’t a little piece of …….

Pacioretty, big time goal scorer, I don’t care how well my 1st liners fight

Iginla, HoF talent is HoF talent

Galchenyuk, has a way higher ceiling than Eriksson’s level of play

Prust, top PK man and can take his place anywhere in the line-up

This might be a push, but DD comes cheaper

Bourque, people seem to forget how well he turned it on in the playoffs last year. When he is into the game, he is a force

Markov and its not close

Push, but I love Emelin so it goes to him

Hamilton, fairly obviously, but I’m sure the Bruins will trade him away once they discover he likes the taste of beer

I think B has a higher ceiling, but Krug is already established, so its a push

• Stevie.Ray says:

So, basically my point was even though Montreal has much better players, for some reason Boston always gets so much more credit.

Bostons top two lines are very effective. Their 4th line is excellent. Chara is still in my opinion the most effective Dman in the entire league, whom makes the rest of their D so much better. Throw in excellent goaltending and you have a very good team.

However, I don’t think this years Bruins are as good as the team that won the Cup. That team had more balance/skill on third line, and a younger Chara combined with out of this world goaltending from Thomas.

Boston is a veteran team whom read each other on the ice very well. We are starting to get close to them….

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

So is the difference on the bench?

_______________________________
          Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Shackles says:

I like Seidenberg…only because the folks on RDS pronounce it with a lotta flair; Sye-den-biearg.

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Why are you making us choose Price vs. Subban? Can’t we have them both? … oh, wait. We do.

_______________________________
      Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• piper says:

Bergeron – by quite a bit
      Eller – younger
      Subban – younger
      Gallagher – love the kid
      Lucic – to play with the Gallagher and Galchenyuk
      Price – homer pic
      Iginla – not even close
      Galchenyuk – younger
      Prust – tough one but i’ll keep Prust
      Desharnais vs. Kelly – neither
      Bourque – another close one but i’ll keep Bourque
      Markov – just better
      Emelin – love his hits
      Hamilton – higher ceiling
      Beaulieu – bigger

I know, a lot of homer pics.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Parros vs. Chara should be the correct fight.

• 24 Cups says:

Bourque
      Markov
      Boychuk
      Hamilton
      Krug

28. CHicoHab says:

Just spoke to a friend who lives in Montreal. He says he hears rumblings of trade with Colorado. Subban is mentioned. But in reality he says Subban about to sign for 8 years. It’s actually Markov who might get traded. He’s asking $7 million for his next deal and Habs not willing to pay that. As all rumours go who knows if anything to this one.

29. Habsrule1 says:

I fully expect the Habs to come out strong and stay that way for a period and a half. Hopefully, in that time, they will have gotten the lead. The problem is, they may start to fade near the end of the 2nd. I truly hope that if we see an effort, and they lose due to fatique (say what you want but fatique is real, millionaire players or not) that this place doesn’t go crazy bashing the Habs for not being able to keep up their energy against sucha rival, etc, etc.

I think they can win a close one, but I won’t be off the bandwagon if they lose a well fought battle.

Go Habs Go!!

30. Eddie says:

Habs like to play Subban and Markov when we have our 4th line out there.

Parros is playing so that Thornton does not run our top dmen out of the building especially Markov.

31. Bill says:

Luke: I’ve watched the replay many times, I guess you could technically call it a cross-check, but it’s more of a collision. The stuck breaks, but that means nothing anymore. I’m trying to be fair, but I am sure Seguin sold that thing as hard as a Florida time share. I’ll let others judge:

32. Shackles says:

A quick search and the only Bruin to ever square off against either Murray or Parros was Thorton. Speaks volumes as to the character of their heavyweights that 6’1″ 217 Thorton has to step up in a Prust-like fashion. I’m sure Lucic would have done it but Marchand was holding him back.

33. habsfan0 says:

I suspect Dunkin Donuts Julien will accuse Carey Price of embellishing his saves tonight.

34. Danno says:

Wonder if Emelin will slam Lucic tonight

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

35. Bill says:

Luke: You sound like Jack Edwards there! Merlin’s hit in Seguin was illegal but not terribly dirty. Interference maybe. A cheap shot? Seguin’s reaction was worthy of Claude Lemieux.

36. secretdragonfly says:

I give it about 3 days until they fire the coach (those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it).

Interesting thing though, this is the year of all years for NBA teams to tank. Perhaps the deepest draft for elite talent in over a decade. Perhaps the new President, Liewieke has told the coach such.

37. Strummer says:

Parros not required tonight.
    With the last change we can match Murray up with the Bruins 4th line.

As mentioned earlier Chara or Lucic won’t tangle with Parros anyway.

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

38. DalEng says:

So I work for the Charlottetown Water and Sewer utility and residents are often in and out of the office.

Just had the McQuaid family in and safe to say I gave them a little ole chant and GO HABS GO.

very nice family and Adam is also a true class when hes home on the island.

39. Arnou Ruelle says:

Just watched the interview of Claude Julien at RDS.ca:

Looks like this game is a good measuring stick to all players, not just the standings for both teams, but also, individuals who are getting roster spots for the 2014 Sochi Games.

If Julien says Price is one of the best, then Subban will have to be in the mix. Max Power is going to team USA and possibly Galchenyuk.

Looks like Quebec City is back to #1 on the CHUM chart. If so, I wonder which team will have to return to the West?

That whole arena deal seemed strange, almost reminded me a bit of the guy that bought the Islanders with no money.

Without Markham actually knowing they would get a team, how could they possibly guarantee the money for that arena. I suspect a good day for the taxpayers of Markham. I do think a team is easily supported there, and I think Toronto should have a second team, but that whole thing seemed sketchy.

• 24 Cups says:

There is no doubt in my mind that Markham could support a team. What some outsiders don’t understand is that this would basically be another Toronto team in every regard. In that case their chances of success are much greater than Quebec City or Seattle (in terms of ranking).

• monmick says:

A second team in Toronto would be the best thing that ever happened to the Leafs…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Habsrule1 says:

I think their fans have been waiting for a FIRST team in Toronto for 40 years now.

Go Habs Go!!

41. mfDx says:

How about Three lines tonight.
    Plekanec, Briere ,Gionta
    DD, Max, Gallagher
    Eller, Alex G, Bournival.
    The fourth line of White, Prust and Parros can sit with one leg over the boards waiting for things to get chippy.

Sent last month via Canada Post.

(thanks Shirham)

• 24 Cups says:

I doubt MT sits Moen for a rookie, especially since Moen is a good fit against the Bruins.

Tonight’s game plan is simple – try and score early when the Bruins come out rusty and then hope Price can win a 2-1 game.

Tonight’s game will not rest on muscle or line-up changes. The Habs are up against the wall and only Price can save them. Not as easy as it sounds seeing Rask is at the other end of the rink and is certainly the equal of Price.

• Luke says:

John Lu indicated it was White out for PArros.
        Bournival centring Moen and Parros.

• 24 Cups says:

That tells me MT is going to try and basically get by on three+ lines tonight. A bit of a gamble based on this week’s schedule.

• Luke says:

Well, I was thinking of this… White plays about 8 minutes a game.

So, If Parros plays 4, you have 4 minutes to make up… So give and extra 2 shifts each to Galchenyuk, Gio & Gallagher with the fourth and there’s the 4 minutes made up. Plus it gives Bounival a little offensive support for a few rotations.

• krob1000 says:

Rask weakness is his temper…he is known to go a little berserk and if Galagher can get in his fgrill and have his back watched by Parros/Murray/Prust,etc than maybe Rask can be thrown off. He freaks out easily…the problem is getting near him.

“I can tell you with a great deal of authority that the Senators were pursuing a trade with the Flyers near the deadline that would have seen Ben Bishop traded to Philadelphia for Sean Couturier.”
    (Ian Mendes/TSN)

Wow. If that’s really true, it certainly would have been a major deal. I’d certainly take Couturier over Conacher. Could you imagine if Halak was still around, the Habs could have traded him for Couturier. Wishful thinking to be sure.

43. JM says:

Mackinnon hasn’t been around long enough for me to give up PK. This would be my offer. Pleks, Moen, Tinordi, nothing more for a player that hasn’t proven anything yet. With 1st year players it’s a wait see …

44. Psycho29 says:

Did I mention I am going to the game tonight? ;-)

Getting my game face on….my red Subban sweater…..all set!
    I will be thinking of you all while enjoying the game in Section-105.
    (ok I probably won’t be thinking of you)

GO HABS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In light of who Cam Janssens is, was it really so bad that Prust fought him yesterday?

• arcosenate says:

Ridiculous.

• Psycho29 says:

I just checked and the word ‘Eklund’ when translated to english means “made up stuff”

• ajk025 says:

Is it really ridiculous though? I love PK and I wouldnt trade him for the world, but his argument is somewhat logical (I guess).

But at the end of the day, Mackinnon is only 19 and although he could turn out to be a superstar forward that the Habs have desperately craved over the last 2 decades, it is too much of a risk.

But yes I agree, this rumor is most likely not true.

• netninja says:

technically not a rumour, more of a thought… but agreed the trade would be ridiculous because of the point mentioned, a solid vetern defencemen is not easy to come.

• Arnou Ruelle says:

Its funny that during the Gainey/Gauthier era, many teams are hesitant to make trades.

Now that the Habs are successful, teams are WANTING to get their hands on the core players!

First its Max Pacioretty. Now, PK Subban? Who’s next, Price for Lecavalier or Alex Galchenyuk?

46. D Mex says:

Below is a video clip out of Boston on the Bs-Habs rivalry.
    As I am not into full-blown PO mode about the game just yet, the following observations are offered in as balanced a manner as I can muster :
    1- the headline stretches what Julien actually said, and
    2- Shawn Thornton comes across as surprisingly thoughtful.

Later today, I may want to offer a candid view of Mr Julien, so I will ask now if the word
    ‘ arsehole ‘ is OK around here – anyone (?)

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

47. DipsyDoodler says:

“Boston coach Claude Julien had this to say about the Canadiens …”

is on the list of sentences I don’t want to hear the end of.

Others include:

“I really like you but …”

“I have two tickets to the Sting concert and I was wondering if … “

“Hi, Dipsy, do you remember me? We had a one night stand a few years ago and there’s something I need to tell you …”

TSN Preview of tonights game, the picture is awesome when PK went airborne trying to hit Lucic, who stopped short to avoid.

• Chuck says:

In the photo it looks like the linesman has done Lucy a favour by stopping him short of getting the bee sting! :)

_______________________
      Anything is possible.

49. Et le but says:

How many comments will tonight’s Live Blog generate?

Will we get 2000?

Tonight fight match-ups

Murray-Lucic
    Moen- Thornton
    Prust-McQuiad
    DD-Chara

Btw, if it does happen that Parros fights Chara, which I doubt, I don’t expect Parros to come out on top. I don’t htink anyone in this league can beat Chara in a fist fight… Parros may hold his ground but he will not pummel that POS chara into submission.

• krob1000 says:

I think Murray would be a better matchup actually…he is maybe one of the few guys in the league as physically strong as Chara…and if he got inside he could get in some shots. But it will be Parros just so Chara has to answer for that mugging of Emelin…and hopefully Emelin runs around tonight hittting everything that moves. Last year Emelin was jumped by Evander Kane, Marcus Foligno and Chara….this year he should be free to hit whoever he would like…and know his back is covered.

• habs-fan-84 says:

“this year he should be free to hit whoever he would like…and know his back is covered”

And that’s exactly why it’s nice to have guys like Parros and Murray this year.

Cheers Krob.

• Luke says:

Chara mugged Emelin because Emelin broke his stick across Seguin’s ribs.

Kane & Foligno jumped Emelin because he was pushing them in the face.

Emelin was by no means innocent in any of those three exchanges. In fact, the Kane/Foligno showed he has to stop with the stickwork and facewashes after the whistle if he doesn’t want to fight… or at least accept that punches are coming his way if he continues to play that way.

• Mavid says:

I don’t think its that he doesn’t want to fight, it is because he cannot fight..nothing wrong with giving it to them any way he can..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• krob1000 says:

And how many Bruins have taken liberties at HAbs over the years? I am fine with them trying to go after Emelin for targeting Emelin…just sad noone was there to step in and make Chara accoutnable…toughest guy in the entire league IMO and he goes after a guy who is one punch away from retirement? a bot extreme IMO. I liken it to the Cap when everyone knew they would target Rene Brouque…they did not make Bourque fight Erskine…they made him fight Matt Hendricks….and Bouruqe won actually…but that was it..over and done. No need for Chara to do that.

• Luke says:

Chara was sticking up for Seguin who got cheapshotted by Emelin.

As a non-fighting guy, I like this fight. It’s the only one i’ve seen in ages that was pure and reactionary. Real policing. It’s not Chara’s fault or concern that Emelin has plates in his face. It’s Emelin’s. Love the guy, but if he is going to play like that, he has to be ready to defend himself.

We need more players like Chara (Prust/Moen/Benn etc) stepping up when teammates are cheap shotted… what we don’t need is the McLaren’s trying to exact revenge for clean hits or to fight Parros b/c PK hip checked Kadri.

So, in short… though I hate the Bruins, Chara’s pounding of Emelin was in no way dirty or cheap. Emelin was the bad guy in this event, not Chara.

• D Mex says:

People thought similarly about Dave Schultz until a guy by the name of Larry Robinson got pissed off one night.
      And the rest, as they say, … …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• piper says:

Chris Neil gave it to Chara pretty good a couple of times. When Chara starts to get on the loosing end he bails out by falling down in hopes that the opponent won’t hit him when he’s down.