Habs Brière: “I have to take advantage of my ice time whenever I get the chance’ (Video)

(Photo: Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

It was the same 2-1 final score as the previous two meetings this season between the Canadiens and the Tampa Bay Lightning, only this time the match ended in overtime rather than a shootout.

The Canadiens picked up a point as they lost to the Lightning on Saturday afternoon, the first of their back-to-back games this weekend at the Bell Centre.

Daniel Brière tied the game at 7:25 of the third period when he was promoted to Tomas Plekanec’s line. Brière had the second least amount of ice time among Habs at that juncture when he scored his ninth goal of the season.

His total ice time was 8:41.

“I have to be ready. I have to take advantage of my ice time whenever I get the chance,” Brière said.

“It’s about the only thing I can control is when I’m out there, when I’m on the ice,” he said.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban accidentally put the puck in the Habs net when he tried to clear it from the crease. Nate Thompson was credited with the goal.

“We had spurts where we were good and we took pressure to them,” said Canadiens captain Brian Gionta. “Other times at the start of the game a bit there we were second on pucks and we couldn’t get much pressure going.

“But I thought we had a good second period to get ourselves back in it. We pushed hard in the third to tie it up. It’s just unfortunately we couldn’t get one there in overtime.”

The Lightning are probably one of the fastest teams in the league and they support the puck really well, coach Michel Therrien said.

“They’re not easy to play against and we found a way to make that comeback,” he said.

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price turned in another strong performance. Lightning goalie Ben Bishop, who has a .933 save percentage, was also sharp.

You can watch what Brière had to say here:

You can listen to Prust talk about his altercation with Bishop during a T.V. time-out in the second period here:

You can watch what Subban had to say here:

You can listen to what Christian Thomas, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs, had to say here. It was his first game as a Hab and his second in the NHL:

1. TMan1969 says:

I like PK’s interview…intelligent and humble…but he has a good point re PP less handling the puck or over creating more shooting…
    Sounds simple enough and hearing “…here’s Karlson playing with his usual partner..” I thought wouldn’t that be nice if Mtl had lines with usual (regular) line mtes…hmmm

“If I knew the answer to that I’d bet $10,000 on the game and retire from coaching.”
    —Montreal Canadiens coach Toe Blake after being asked if his team would win an upcoming game

2. Habilis says:

What are the odds that this Loafs-Turds game ends in regulation? Keep in mind, you’re a Habs fan.

I say 5%. Maybe.

3. GL says:

How about Eller and Markov for Jeff Carter ??????????

4. Mavid says:

too bad they both cannot lose..if I had to chose I want Ottawa to lose..just because they are annoying..really really annoying

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

5. joeybarrie says:

Now while it doesn’t quite work this way, give Briere the minutes Gionta has had this season, Briere would statistically have 30 points.

6. Chuck says:

Can Ron McLean please stop calling them the “white Olympics”? It just sounds… awkward.

7. Chuck says:

I wonder how big the steak is that PK is going to have to buy Carey for dinner tonight.

8. Sportfan says:

Did this not happen a few months ago lol?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

9. jols101 says:

Nick Kypreos. Brutal.

10. B says:

Hudon scores his 20th and adds a pair of assists against his former team. No points for Grégoire. 5-4 final.

–Go Habs Go!–

11. CJ says:

LA loses again. Given how competitive the western conference is, I wonder if they could be a trading partner? They have some of the assets that we so dearly covet.

I’d love to get some size up front. Kyle Clifford, Tyler Toffoli, Jordan Nolan. I don’t have an issue with 2-3 small players, provided we can insulate them with some bigger bodies, who play tough. Prust is decent, but we need some younger, bigger bodies to help him out.

• B says:

LA needs scoring, only Buffalo averages less goals per game.

–Go Habs Go!–

• JUST ME says:

First and foremost, fire the coach ! Cause this is what you do first right ?

I would not be surprised if Bergevin would look towards them to make a deal. He knows the western partners very well and if you ask me, our team should be based on theirs… Of course we wonder what could be of interest to other G.Ms but a package deal is always possible !

12. jols101 says:

Who is this new firecracker interviewing the boys before the game on CBC? The boys must be enjoying those interviews a little more.

13. CJ says:

Can’t bring myself to cheer for either Ottawa or Toronto tonight. I just hope that the game is decided in regulation.

14. Thomas Le Fan says:

We NEED TO SHOOT THE PUCK! A guy like Bishop is hard enough to score on without making it easy for him. By the way, if both goalies get leaving the crease penalties, he should have gotten a roughing penalty for throwing the first punch against Prust and there is no way we should have been short handed after that mess. Lightning should have been short handed after the grab on Subban and we should have been on the P.P. Instead we get scored on. Oh well, at least I didn’t have to witness the gimmick.

Hockey isn’t everything … it’s the only thing … except for beer and guitars!

15. adadi says:

Never like the DB signing, but MT has made a bad signing infinitely worse by constantly playing him where he was most likely to fail, all for the sake of protecting DD. Move DD down to the 3 or fourth line and the tell me who is the better player.

16. Going to watch the Pats tonight, thank god for Junior hockey, it will take my mind off the Habs until they get their butts spanked tomorrow :lol: The city will burn to the ground if they lose to the Jets…..OK I’ll burn the city to the ground haha, I won’t be able to leave my house if we lose tomorrow.

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 29.31.1.20.33

17. RockinRey says:

I am not a big fan of his… but

They have to try and get this guy more minutes. I dont care if its offensive zone face off minutes to start….

Dont know if they have tried him between DD an Patches.

——————————————————————————————————
    You are entitled to your opinion even if you are wrong.

18. CJ says:

It’s called being part of a team. Truth be told, I thought he was outplayed last spring by Craig Anderson and, by extension, one of the bigger reasons we lost the series to the Sens.

Sorry to be so direct.

19. John Q Public says:

Direct, our team just sucks !!!
    Nothing more, nothing less.
    Don’t score, don’t win.

20. CJ says:

No, Budaj didn’t play any better in game five. Game one though?

Just calling a spade a spade.