Habs’ Bourque sidelined with upper-body injury

The Canadiens announced Wednesday morning that Rene Bourque won’t be in the lineup when they take on the Devils Wednesday night in New Jersey (7 p.m., TSN, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Bourque, who has an upper-body-injury, stayed behind in Montreal.

Peter Budaj will start in goal for the Canadiens, while Corey Schneider will be in the Devils’ net.

Coach Michel Therrien confirmed that defenceman Francis Bouillon will be in the lineup against the Devils, meaning Douglas Murray will be a healthy scratch along with forward George Parros.

Wednesday marks the 104th anniversary of the “Club de Hockey Canada” being founded by J. Ambrose O’Brien on Dec. 4, 1909.

The Canadiens are 8-2-1 in their last 11 games, moving into third place in the Eastern Conference with a 16-9-3 record, four points behind Pittsburgh (19-9-1) and three points behind Boston (18-7-2).

“It’s always good for confidence when you’re on such a roll, but we are always conscious that we have to start over in each game,” Therrien told reporters in New Jersey after practice. “We’re playing structured, inspired hockey, and we have to keep working in that direction. The players are playing a team game, and we can’t forget that our goalies have been making key saves. Our results are a reflection of the team’s attention to detail.”

The Canadiens will return home after Wednesday’s game and face the Bruins Thursday night at the Bell Centre (7:30 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

In other news, USA Hockey announced its 26-player preliminary roster for the world junior championship and Canadiens prospect Michael McCarron didn’t make it. The 6-foot-5, 228-pound forward, who was the Canadiens’ first-round pick (25th overall) this year, has 3-6-9 totals in 25 games this season with the OHL’s London Knights. The American roster includes three players that led Team USA to the gold medal at last year’s world junior championship: forwards Riley Barber (Washington Capitals draft pick) and Ryan Hartman (Chicago Blackhawks), and goaltender Jon Gillies (Calgary Flames).

Earlier this week, two Canadiens prospects – goalie Zach Fucale and forward Charles Hudon – were among the 25 players invited to Team Canada’s training camp for the world juniors.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at the Canadiens’ morning skate:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Gionta-Plekanec-Brière
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Bournival-White-Moen
Parros

Markov-Subban
Gorges- Emelin
Diaz-Bouillon
Murray

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

Canadiens vs. Devils preview, NHL.com

Game Day Report, Canadiens.com

Parros led the way during Movember, by Brenda Branswell

Parros fighting the “goon fight”, ESPN.com

Habs’ Stanley Cup odds improving, Stu on Sports blog

Subban focus of documentary-style film, Stu on Sports blog

Devils recall Reid Boucher, The Star-Ledger

Devils’ Boucher to make NHL debut against Habs, NHL.com

Behind the B (video), bostonbruins.com

1. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Kaberle for Spacek was a 1:1 swap. Spacek without Hamrlik was no great shakes. Kaberle was a 7/8 D, participated in every practice and scrimmage, and played in games when called upon. He was a consummate professional, and I think the HIO community have been unfair to him and his memory.

My 5¢ (Canadian)

2. donmarco says:

Is it just me or is anyone else worried about HABS PROFESSOR? He has been missing pretty much since the Habs went on a roll.

Where are you NAG???

3. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

As Martin F Brodeur said to his wife, “Any more like you at home?”

But MFB had the genius idea of cutting the net off the cage when he broke the all time wins record! With office scissors! That was the most entertaining 72 minutes of hockey celebration I’ve ever seen!

4. Bill says:

Burly: I guess I am saying that Erne and Compher both have bruising power forward potential, just as much as McCarron. But yeah, we will see.

@Bill, they are bigger forwards, but not even remotely similar in bruising power to what McCarron could one day offer. Total gamble, I agree, but even if he becomes a good third line/4th line player that is serious big body in our lineup. Can only dream he becomes our Lucic.

5. SmartDog says:

5 QUESTIONS:
    1. Was Murray a good pick-up?
    2. If you had the choice, which of these 3 picks would you prefer to have done differently in the draft: Fucale, McCarron, de la Rose.
    3. What’s the best line for Bournival?
    4. What’s the best line for Prust (with a full team)?
    5. How do you feel about Pierre Gauthier today? Come on, admit it…!
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

None at this point, too early to doubt
      I like him on any line, but really liked him with Plex and Gio
      4th line
      Still a smarmy man

• donmarco says:

I would not change the picks
      4th for the speed he brings
      4th for the grit he brings (on an otherwise healthy team)
      I still see his face in my nightmares. Not zombie nightmares, because I’m made of meat.

• Bun E. Laroque says:

Damn straight
      None
      3rd
      4th
      I like him.

• twilighthours says:

1) yes. Grudgingly
      2) McCarron
      3) Too early to say. I’m ok with how Therrien is moving him around
      4) 4th, with extra time on the PK and late-period shifts
      5) I’ve generally liked his hockey moves, generally hated the way he handled everything else (Cunneyworth, Cammalleri, etc)

• naweed235 says:

1. Given what role he was signed to fulfill, I’d say it was an excellent pick-up
      2. I actually like all 3 picks
      3. Without a doubt he should be playing with Eller and Gallchenyuk
      4. Prust on a good 4th line with Moen and White that can play a solid 10-13 minutes a game
      5. He had his highs and lows but I don’t think he was bad as most people portrayed him to be.

• gmur says:

1. Yes, absolutely. I couldn’t believe Murray was available at such a low hit to the cap. He provides efficient play à la Hal Gill and he and Emelin now have opposing players looking at anything but the puck in our zone. If you think opposing players don’t notice who’s on the ice at a face-off and dread their possible consequences of their shift, you’ve not played contact hockey. Can’t wait to watch him come playoff time.
      2. de la Rose, but who knows?
      3. I like him with Moen and White.
      4. I’ve always liked him with the two young’uns, Galchenyuk and Gallagher… but I wouldn’t change Gallagher’s line right now… too much chemistry right now. Eller and Galchenyuk is good too.
      5. Don’t forget that he was Gainey’s right-hand man when the Gomez deal went down… with Gainey reeling from his daughter’s death. Pure speculation: Gauthier was key to that deal. Then there was Kaberle… and Rene Bourque (20 points since trade) for Mike Cammalleri (65 points). If you’re looking for a winner with regards to the young players harvested in the last 4-5 years, look no further than Trevor Timmins. Conclusion: The Goat.

• Habilis says:

1. He’s been as advertised, super strong, super slow. But he’s cheap. All in all, a decent signing.
      2. Hate to say it because I have the utmost respect for Timmins, but right now it’s looking like McCarron. Still lots of time though.
      3. I’d love to see him with Eller and Galchenyuk.
      4. 4th, but with PK time as well.
      5. Better than I used to for sure. Still not a fan of the way he did things, but the long term results were better than I expected.

• Timo says:

1. Yes… he is Moar
      2. I think they are ok
      3. 2nd (provided midgets are not on it)
      4. 4th
      5. I think he needs a steak

• Habfan10912 says:

1- yes
      2- none. Too early.
      3- 3rd or 4th now.
      4 – 3rd and the PK
      5- He’s an example of a smart guy who has no clue how to manage people in an organization. Bankrupt organizations and poorly run governments are filled with people like him. Smart dumb people as I like to refer to them.

• rhino514 says:

1. Decent pick-up; the best of the off-season moves.
      2. Either McCarron or De la Rose, but more likely McCarron. They drafted size over talent
      3. It´s tough because we have 7 top nine wingers this year. I´d have him platoon with bourque, with Pleks and Gionta.
      4. 4th on this year´s team, but a great 4th! But move him onto the third line for the playoffs.
      5. Antisocial, but helped build a real solid foundation. We can properly compare ater 5 or 6 years of MB.

6. Bill says:

Twilight, I didn’t mean to “call out” anyone. My light-hearted comments were not directed at you or anyone else.

I actually had a similar experience to yours in my own childhood. Dealt with it my way I guess. But I suppose I am taking the “boys will be boys” approach, and that’s just my way, again, no offence intended. You’re one of the HIO good guys.

• twilighthours says:

What happened there when I was younger played a big role in me really thinking about the “boys will be boys” mentality, and why I now generally loathe any sort of behaviour that gets laughed off as “oh, just boys being boys.”

Anyway, enough of that personal nonsense. Cheers, Bill. You’re an HIO essential, too.

7. SmartDog says:

This Bourque injury may be no big deal.

He banged up his shoulder on a play but stayed in the game. With a full roster, could be that Therrien would rather he rest it an extra day and get some rehab and let someone else take his spot on this quick trip.

…Nobody’s answering my posts today. What is my breath bad?

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

8. Bill says:

Hey Twilight, sorry buddy, I was just making a joke. Sorry if it was in poor taste, sincerely.

• twilighthours says:

No worries here, Bill.

But if I think Brodeur is a douche for what he did, then I don’t want to be called out for it. Maybe you see things differently, and I dig that.

9. johnnylarue says:

On the topic of “East Sux, West Rules”:

I haven’t been paying close enough attention, but could this not be a case of there simply being a greater disparity between the good teams and the bottom feeders in the West?

As far as inter-Conference games are concerned, even if the Western teams have a decidedly winning record vs Eastern teams so far, I’d say it’s still pretty early in the season to make these kinds of proclamations in a definitive manner…

10. Sportfan says:

Got called into work early sigh, well have a good evening ladies and gents enjoy the game ! :D GO HABS GO

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

11. Bill says:

McCarron was a gamble for sure, a real Hail Mary.

There were at least four really good forwards still on the board. At least. Adam Erne and JT Compher are both strong, physical players with skills. Then there’s Valentin Zykov, who is a pure skill forward. Worth noting that Zykov and Compher were BOTH still available when the Habs took De La Rose in the second. And even Zykov was still available when the Habs took Fucale!

So in hindsight, the Habs could have taken Erne, Compher, and Zykov instead of McCarron, De La Rose, and Fucale.

I don’t know about you, but the first option looks a hell of a lot more attractive to me than the second!

Then again, I am not Trevor Timmins. I am sure there is a reason I am not an NHL scout. That said, if things go the way my own admittedly moronic brain thinks they will, we will be looking back at this draft as a disaster.

Then again, maybe Timmins is right, and McCarron, De La Rose, and Fucale turn out to be way better than Erne, Compher, and Zykov.

• johnnylarue says:

I like the Fucale pick personally, and Timmins doesn’t have too many disastrous drafts on his record so far. But this is probably the first time he was mandated with favoring size over other considerations, so maybe this will prove to be his Achilles Heel.

• Kooch7800 says:

McCarron looked good in the preseason. I think he is having some injury issues but you are right he was a pretty big gamble. But nothing is a sure thing. We got some very good players in this draft but McCarron was the only real puzzling one.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• SmartDog says:

I have my concerns about that set of picks too. Except for Fucale. Even if he’s only half as good as people think he will be, he’s at very least a valuable trading chip. To me, that was the best – and safest – pick of the 3.

What’s the word on McCarron? Is there a problem there or just the regular ups and downs of developing players?

————————————-
      Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

I’ll go with MB and Timmins on this one. We haven’t developed our own big bruising power forward in a long long time and this team could use one or two or three.

The previous few years we apparantly did very well in picking some talented forwards and defencmen, and this past draft a different focus was used. Big Power Forwards are slow to develop, lets be patient.

• donmarco says:

The lack of depth in goal was a major concern for MB and staff. Simply nothing in the system worth consideration, so when Fucale, the top ranked goalie prospect, was available it was a no brainer. Truth be told the quality of the 2013 draft won’t be known for at least another 2 years. IMHO

12. JUST ME says:

A big must win game tonight. More so than tomorrow`s game in a way.
    To be a real contender you have to have the killer instinct when needed. A win tonight would put the Habs 10 points in front of the Devils, 6 in front of the falling leaves and would put the Habs ever solidely within the conference leaders.
    Now i know that we still have ways to go before being able to compete with the western`s divisions best teams but to be within the best in the eastern conference two years in a row would be more than a fluke .

Tomorrow is another day for sure but for now Go Habs Go !

13. jrs10069 says:

Bourque is not injured, he’s being traded….

jrs10069

14. Bill says:

If JM were REALLY posting here, his lines would be:

Moen – DD – Briere
    Prust – Plekanec – Blunden
    Pacioretty – White – Gionta
    Galchenyuk – Nokelainen – Gallagher

You know it’s true.

15. Bill says:

Re: Brodeur and his sister in law, hey, no one’s perfect. Not the first guy who let his mini me get him in trouble, won’t be the last. Let he on HIO who is without sin cast the first stone I say.

So all jokes are off the table here? Gonna get boring round here….sigh

• GrimJim says:

Bill, there are more than a few posters around here who are convinced that the are the saviour, so you are still going to get some flying rocks…

• Habfan10912 says:

A savior here? And we haven’t won a Cup since 93? What’s up with that!

• twilighthours says:

You know what Grim? It’s about to get a bit personal.

I’m mostly a guy who doesn’t care about what these athletes think or do in their personal time. But the issue of infidelity is a sticky one with me. Seeing as my own pops destroyed my childhood home with his cheating ways, I’m not inclined to laugh off Brodeur and his mini-me. In fact, it makes me think a whole lot less of the man. Not the goalie, athlete, professional hockey player – just the man.

Sorry if that sounds preachy, but it’s coming from the heart. As Maritime Ronn says, I call it like I see it.

16. Bun E. Laroque says:

Is Bourque’s upper body injury his head?

In watching how quickly Emelin has been able to come back and play well it should be noted how fortunate he was to have both Galchenyuk and Markov to talk to for advice in rehab, given both had the same operation. Weird coincidence that he would have the only other two players on team who speak Russian, both have a similar experience.

18. Steeltown Hab says:

So if the 4th line has a hell of a game tn, like they did in the past, and Bourque is healthy after, what to do with Prust?

I don’t have a huge issue with him sitting a game, I get he’s a fan favourite, and one of mine as well but I’m not sure he automatically warrants a spot if White/Bourn/Moen are playing really well.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

19. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

A girl I went to high school with, her mum divorced her dad and married his brother. They’re Mormons. (Yes, Mormons in the West Island! Who knew?)

Maybe Brodeur is a Mormon?

20. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Totally off-topic, but I wish I could read lips so I knew what Gallagher was chirping to Kessel — German for “head like a boiled ham” — and the rest of the Leafs. Like the rest of him, Gallagher’s mouth doesn’t quit. Where do you learn that part of the game?

21. Luke says:

Bonjour Montreal food folks,

Anyone have an opinion of this spot: cafe Ferreifa.

Not that I am planning on being there (Montreal) soon, it just came up in conversation and was very highly recommended.

• Sap Anderson says:

Very good! Known for its fish so if that’s your bag go for it

• Habilis says:

The food at Ferreira is excellent and the eye candy ain’t bad either. They are known for their seafood especially. It ain’t cheap, but it is one of the best seafood restaurants in the city.

• Luke says:

Well, it was used as leverage by a supplier in a “you have to come to Montreal” and “I can get you Canadiens’ tickets, no problem” kind of way… I can’t say the cost was too much of a concern!

Thanks Sap & Habilis & Don. It sparked my curiosity since it hadn’t been mentioned in the many food discussion on HI/O.

• donmarco says:

One of the best restaurants in the city. They also have a less expensive Bistro called F Bar. When you do come, try them. You won’t be disappointed.

22. The Juice says:

Brodeur says its Luongo over Price:

Me thinks he is still feeling jilted after 2010…

__________________________________________________________________________

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high!”

• Habilis says:

Hey Ben (or anyone else with an opinion), I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding McCarron not making it? Is this going to hurt his development?

Obviously he wanted to be on the team, but is it a case of him “playing himself off the team” with his lack or scoring? Or was he always a bubble guy and just didn’t do enough this year?

23. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

Ha! I see that Jacques Martin is posting his lines here as JM. Brilliant!

24. aHabGrowsInBrooklyn says:

During the Troubles — apologies; that’s distasteful, I know — I definitely second-guessed MT, but I have come to realise that he must know what he’s doing, as the Habs have been winning, and he has made subtle line adjustments during games which have turned games in the Habs’ favour. He knows what he’s doing.

Go Habs! Let’s see Budaj rack up another W tonight!

• Strummer says:

I heard on Sportsnet that Gerard Gallant has had a lot to do with the adjustments that have lead to Habs recent success, as well as Therrien backing off his harassment of players like Max and PK
      ______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

25. JM says:

My Line Combinations Dec. 4, 2013

Galchenyuk Plekanec Gionta
    Pacioretty DD Gallagher
    Bournival Eller Prust
    Moen Briere White

26. krob1000 says:

Boullon over Murray makes sense tonight. NEw Jersey is very, very aggressive int heir puck pursuit and on forecheck. Bouillon is quicker than Murray and better passer. NExt night is against big bad BRuins…ideal game to have Murray in there for when the Bruins try to invade Carey’s crease…and they will. I suspect both Murray and Parros play that game. MT is trying to involve both BOuillon and Murray, keep both in game shape, etc so this selection makes perfect sense IMO given the two opponents.

27. Bripro says:

So they finally came out with the real reason that PK is kept off the olympic team.

Earlier this season I spoke out against the 24CH tv show as I felt this was an unfair pressure against our players and our coaching staff. Of course now during a winning streak, I can’t wait to watch more episodes. However, I have to be fair and re-assess if I still am against the show.

I still don’t think it is needed, as the Montreal fishbowl is enough for this team and i think the show can only enhance it. But, (and here I go with crazy ass conspiracy, moments after poking fun at Leaf media for doing so, I accept this is hypocritical) is it possible MB knows the primary weaknesses of MT, and that it could be his ability to keep emotions in check and that he loses his cool thus leading to poor decision making and ill timed comments to players and media?

If so, by having the coach know that he is under monitored scrutiny (the 24CH crew and cameras are everywhere, and all the time) that this is making him think a little longer before reacting?

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it’s just about money/viewers. I doubt they thought too much about how it would affect the team acept maybe a short discussion in which they decided that the team should play well regardless of the cameras.

Go Habs Go!!

• formerly known as the hc says:

It’s about money. Plain, pure and simple.

• Et le but says:

Burly,
      I remember thinking about a month ago that MT was losing the room and turning off PK from wanting to remain a Hab with all the comments he was making on 24 CH and in his post game scrums.
      I am convinced that he received a sit down (off the 24 CH cameras) with MB and maybe even Geoff Molson, where he was asked to tone down the rhetoric and build on the positives.
      Since then, and with the Habs on a roll, the tone coming from MT has turned 180 degrees; he is praising and promoting his players more and calling them out less, at least publicly.
      Not sure if the sit down ever happened or if the 2 CH segments with him speaking down to his stars was a factor, but he is definitely singing a different tune lately.

• Cal says:

I’ve made a point to avoid it. The games and interviews are plenty enough without cameras following them around. I know I’d go very snaky if I was being videoed all the bleeping time.
      I also know Molson wants to recoup his investment ASAP, but the show has no value as it is pseudo-reality. What you don’t see is more important than what you do see. Of course, many here cite it chapter and verse as if it is real life, but in the end, it is nothing but fluff for peeping Toms.

• D Mex says:

I watched only the 1st clip of PK – IMO he exudes (more) maturity and, importantly I believe, his enthusiasm remains.
      Must be a pain to face questions about your view of the olympic selection process but his response was on point : my job is to play, others are paid to critique – nicely done !

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

29. slyCH says:

I’m off to the gym, and since the topics seem to veer off course when I do so let me get ya’ll started.
    Muammar Gaddafi once said ” We don’t need Al Qaeda when we have immigration.”
    Discuss…

30. 4loorplay says:

prust should be on 4th line and bournival on 3rd line

Nirvana is earned…

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with that one. With the way Prust has been playing they need someone with some offensive upside on the third line and Bournival works his butt off as well.

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

Host on TSN Toronto Radio has a conspiracy theory that the league is screwing over Toronto by giving them super tough string of games leading into Winter Classic, while the RedWings get a much easier schedule heading into it. This of course is being done he feels because, the league is out to show that they don’t in fact usually favour the Leafs in any way.

Was actually entertaining listening to him discuss this with Ray Ferraro and O’Dog (Jeff O’Neill).

• Jed says:

It’s a conspiracy! If the league wanted the Leafs to win the winter classic they would never have scheduled it against such a tough team as Detroit…or Boston, Chicago, or any original 6 team, Buffalo for that matter, the Erie Otters, the Mississauga Junior B lacrosse team, or those mean kids from across the street that always yell at Kessel when he’s just trying to walk to the store. How can they win when the whole league is against them!?!

32. Bripro says:

So my Bruins’ supporter son had a funny one for me this morning.
    He said that the Bruins will pommel our Habs.
    You know what my answer to him was…. right?

I’m sure this has already been reported but TSN’s Darren Dreger reported on Wednesday morning that it is a seven-year contract that will pay him $8.5 million per season.

34. SteverenO says:

@ Bill ; you wrote:

I spoke too soon about Therrien going with the lines that worked!

He’s breaking up the incredibly productive DD, PAC, and Gallagher line. Head scratcher.

It’s obviously a move to get Galchenyuk and Gallagher going. Galchenyuk has struggled offensively (for him) without Gally, and Gally has gone cold on the scoresheet, despite the success of his line in general.

Still, if it ain’t broke, I wouldn’t be fixing it.
    *************************************************

I thought the “purpose” of playing Gallagher with DD and MaxPac was to get the slumping guys going. It worked.

Can they continue to be productive without Gallagher? Bourque scored a nice goal when he was on (due to a shift change) with DD and MaxPac last game.

Imagine the production if we get the *Eller and two Gal’s *(maybe a nickname for the line) back in gear and also have DD/ MaxPac/ RW (Bournival ,Prust, Bourque) also firing?

In my opinion, DD and Pacioretty were going to get untracked eventually no matter who they played with, which is not to say that Gallagher was not a huge factor. However whatever Gallagher added to the slumping guys was deducted from his former linemates (Eller and Gally27) . Eller may just be a guy that need’s two Gal’s in his threesome in order to perform.

Everyone of us (f)Eller’s here may dream of being in a threesome, but that threesome does not have the same appeal (at least not to me) if there are two guys and only one gal involved.

regards,

Steve O.

35. donmarco says:

Toronto starting to resemble Habs of early November. Bolland, Lupul, Franson out. Bozak scheduled for MRI, and Kessel leaves practice with unspecified injury. And we all remember how Habs played with so many injuries. Let the swoon begin, errrr continue.

36. Phil C says:

This video reminds me of what’s happening to Toronto’s season.

37. Steeltown Hab says:

Still can’t get over no Darnell Nurse on the WJC team, just classic Hockey Canada decision making.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• ffenliv says:

Every year people complain that the team won’t win. Some years it does, some years it doesn’t During their most recent stretch of 5 straight gold medals, there was a always a crew of people saying they had no chance because of x player, y coach, z whatever.

Sutter won back-to-back golds as coach. Maybe give him and his staff the benefit of the doubt?

• Steeltown Hab says:

They’ve missed gold 4 straight years (which is pathetic with the talent). Just saying I’d say keep it simple, taking a guy like Bigras over Nurse, thats big time overthinking…I like Bigras but how is that possible?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Luke says:

I’m shocked too, but when I saw him vs the Icedogs (2x, once on TV, once live) he didn’t really stand out. They said it was close, but his poor play in the Super Series clinched it.

38. careysubban3176 says:

Why does MT keep playing Bournival on the 4th line. Is it a trust issue or you haven’t payed your dues type thing? I don’t know but when he was playing with Pleks and Gio he was lighting up the lamp. I like prust but he doesn’t have the skill to play with eller and galchenyuk. and to tell ya the truth if everyones healthy the lines should look like this

galchenyuk-eller-gallagher
    bourque-plecks-gio
    bournival-Desharnais-MaxPac
    prust-briere-moen

with these lines you have the kid line again and with the resurgence of DD with MaxPac, Bournival would fit in perfectly and then if those lines aren’t contributing, you still have the reliable plecks line

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Steeltown Hab says:

They wouldn’t risk not giving Desharnais the 2 top wingers on the team again. That line has been too “dominant” apparently.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habsrule1 says:

Did Desharnais sleep with your wife or gf Steeltown? Can you not lay off of him for 1 day? He’s actually been playing pretty well, but you never stop pouring it on.

Go Habs Go!!

• Steeltown Hab says:

That’s not a knock to Desharnais, it’s just a fact of how the team treats the player. Why do you take it personal?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Habsrule1 says:

I think it’s safe to say you’ve bashed Desharnais at every chance you got.

It just gets tiring is all.

Go Habs Go!!

• The_Truth says:

it has been the team’s best line the last 10 games. Actually, one of the top lines in the league during that stretch. A big reason for the winning streak. Why change that? Makes no sense.

• krob1000 says:

Bournival has only 2 points in last ten games…BUT…team has 16 points over that stretch. MT’s job is too oversee the team and he appears to be doing what is best for the team….and it is working. Sure Bournival personally may not produce but results are results.

• careysubban3176 says:

The only reason he has 2 points is because he’s playing on the 4th line! I personally think they can do so much better with bournival at least playing in the top 9 let alone top 6

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

Why would he move things around at all with the Habs doing so well? His job is to win. If and when he sees the need or thinks it will help the team, he’ll move Bournival up.

I swear some fans are never happy.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

Its called not becoming complacent. sonner or later teams will key up on the dd line just like they did with the EGG line and we know what happened when they got shut down. when you keep up with little adjustments here and there, it’s hard for opponents to game plan against you.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

It’s a thought, but I’ll go with the coach on this one. I think they’ve moved things around enough and have found success. When the time is right, Bournival will get his chance.

Go Habs Go!!

• krob1000 says:

That was the point…..who cares a how many points Bournival has if the team has 16 pts in last 10 games.

• Cal says:

Habs have gone 7-1-2 in their last 10, but you know better than MT? Yeah, right! :lol:

• careysubban3176 says:

Hey if you think the Habs are going to play like this the rest of the year your crazy. You don’t make whole sale line changes but little tweeks here and there to your lineup will go along way especially if you find a diamond in the rough like bournival who if he plays at least 13 minutes a game can easily be a 20 goal scorer.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• Habsrule1 says:

I feel bad cause you have 2 of my fave players in your nick, but you know Bournival can “easily be a 20 goal scorer” because you have seen him play all of….24 games in his NHL career?

You’re good.

Go Habs Go!!

• careysubban3176 says:

You heard it here first habsrule1

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

39. krob1000 says:

http://www.tsn.ca/ now KEssel left practice early with a “tweak” and Bozak having an MRI ..as I mentioned earlier they have a brutal stretch coming up 5 0 next 7 games include Pits twice, Chi, Stl and LA

40. Maritime Ronn says:

Finally something smart from TSN

Analyst Jeff O’Neil on his Twitter account is calling for Brendan Gallagher to be chosen as a 4th line buzz saw for Olympic Team Canada.

41. Bripro says:

Did anyone see Propwash’s link to the Julien hatred story?
    The video within the story is an interview with the Bruin’s Thornton.
    I have to admit that he seems fairly articulate.
    At one point, he mentioned doubting that any “idiot” is intentionally going around hurting people in our division.
    Either he’s not listening to Julien’s diving lessons, or he’s never seen Chara play. ;)

42. Habsrule1 says:

You know what sux? With all this trade talk, it’s a bit sad that we don’t have Gomez to add to one of these packages to help us get that Superstar we’re sadly lacking.

Go Habs Go!!

Actually a simple solution is available, we just need to re-acquire Weber, it was discussed yesterday how adding Weber to the mix either provides us a superstar or makes the draft choice offered by the other team immediately become a first rounder.

DD, Diaz, Moen, Weber and a 6th round pick = any player you want in the NHL.

• Habsrule1 says:

Can we really equate Weber with Gomez?
        Add Gomez to that mix, and you don’t need to include DD, Moen, or Diaz.

Go Habs Go!!

• Un Canadien errant says:

Yannick Weber has lost a little luster lately, we’d need to throw in a Colin Sullivan to up the ante.

43. Forum Dog says:

RE: this morning’s practice lines:

Have they ever given Briere a run on the Galchenyuk-Eller line? Just thinking that those two might create some open space, which seems to be the only way Briere can operate. No point in paying him $4M to play with guys like White and Moen…..

• Phil C says:

The way they have been using Briere is perplexing.

• krob1000 says:

He’ll get to play with Gio and Pleks it appears…and then Moen will fill in for defesnive spot duty…that platooning of that spot has worked well.

• Phil C says:

It has worked well at times. I thought it backfired against Washington when Briere was on the ice with White and Bournival for the tying goal. If you are moving Briere for defensive reasons, why play him late in the game at all. Might as well leave him with Pleks and Gio so if they score another goal, they put the game out of reach.

• krob1000 says:

I don’t recall the goal but Iw ould not play Brier rightnow in that situation…he looks like a player who right nowis just trying to stay healthy and find his legs . Not exactly what you want in a defensive situation late in a game. I still believe he will be different come palyoff time though.

• Forum Dog says:

Definitely better that he get minutes with guys like Plekanec and Gio, but given that the latter is a natural RW (as is Briere), wouldn’t it be better to try and give Danny B a spot on Eller’s right-side and let Prust take up residence with the smaller Plekanec-Gionta? Prust is useful in a checking role anyway, and would only enhance that line’s already considerable defensive prowess.

Therrien knows best I suppose, but I can’t help but think Briere would get a boost playing with some younger, more aggressive offensive players.

• krob1000 says:

Think the idea is have Prust make Eller have room to be more physical and ensure noone meesses with Chucky.

• Forum Dog says:

I get that. I just don’t really worry too much about Eller and Galchenyuk when it comes to the physical part of the game. I mean, injuries can and will happen, but they are both pretty big, strong and competitive. They won’t scrap, but they will push back. They managed to get along fine when Gallagher was their muscle…..

For me its more about finding the right spot for Briere. Its partly on him, but the coaches have to put him in a position to succeed as well.

44. Bripro says:

Hey! The intrathing is back….
    I had no network and no 3G.
    It’s great for working, if you don’t want to be disturbed or distracted.

Anyhow, Bourque is out again? Is this big boy made of porcelain?
    When the team is healthy, he’s scratched.
    It’s MT’s strategy I tell you.

45. veryhabby says:

Just wondering…do you think MacCarron leaving the NCAA to go the Canadian Hockey route may have hindered his chances of making the World Jrs?

I mean, is it weird for me to think there may be some politics in these roster decisions. I am sure they prefer their American players to keep developing in the USA and to bring promotion to their development system, instead of walking away for Canadian development.

• krob1000 says:

YEs and No…going to the London Kights who are loaded hindered his chances. He is likely learning a lot from the Hunter’s but they are a very deep team so he is not getting a lead role.

• Stevie.Ray says:

He is getting a fair shot in London, he just hasn’t played well.

• krob1000 says:

Not saying he isn’t getting get a fair shot…onyl that he isn’t getting a leading role….team is deep. He was also hurt very early and shoulders are tough to deal with in hockey. It is also quite an adjustment in hockey styles….

• ProHabs says:

The Habs new motto is No Excuses. McCarron better learn it.

• The_Truth says:

By all accounts MacCarron just has too many things to work on and isn’t developed enough to play with the best in the world at his age group.

When Timmins said MacCarron was a project, he wasn’t kidding. This guy could become a good player or a total bust. A real gamble by Habs management. They took him way higher than his draft ranking because they saw something that others didn’t. Maybe they were looking for things that weren’t there? Too soon to tell right now.

• Mats Naslund says:

He’s a project. They drafted hiim based on what he could become – not what he is currently. People had the same sort of worry about Tinordi in his first year with London. These guys are big bodies that need to learn how to play. If it takes him 4 years to figure it out the Habs will still be pleased as anything.

• Habsrule1 says:

I would think the committment to Canada and the CHL would be a positive.

Go Habs Go!!

• Max says:

I never put much weight into world junior team selections.Lots of juniors make their respective national teams,never to be heard from again, while there are plenty of players who never make a world junior squad but end up having illustrious NHL/pro hockey careers.

46. Caesar says:

After watching the Oilers last night I started to wonder how long until they come calling about Budaj? if hey are serious about winning and not being bottom feeders again this year they need a bonafide goalie and a real defensive defenseman–Ference does not count. If they reach out what should MB ask for? Me I would like to see Budaj Gorges a 2nd and 3rd for Hall

Would that do it? Would MB do it?

• veryhabby says:

If Budaj, gorges and some mid picks lands you Hall you do it in a second.

I think it would take A LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT more to get HAll!!

BTW, Budaj is a great back up. I think they can get a bonifide starter from another team. Like Miller, or Reimer etc

• shiram says:

Bergevin would, I don’t see why the Oilers would though.

• Steeltown Hab says:

That’s a more than reasonable trade offer, surely it could fetch us Taylor Hall.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• careysubban3176 says:

what if price gets hurt? then whos your backup? that would be a bad trade at least till Fucale shows he can play at least in the AHL.

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• The_Truth says:

Budaj, Gorges, and a few high picks for a former #1 overall pick? Way too short .

Would you trade Dubnyk, Smid a 2nd and 3rd for Chucky?

I was thinking Bourque, Eller, Beaulieu and a 1st might get it done. Even that I’m not sure.

• Cal says:

Oilers D is as leaky as an Enbridge pipe. That team needs Dmen badly. Their goalie situation is okay with Dub and Bryz. So, no trades to boost their goaltending. They should give up some1 for D, but their young forwards and old ones have high cap hits for what they deliver, so Edmonton has pretty much shat the bed.

47. krob1000 says:

Stu what are the rest of the lines? is Eller on wing? There is a big part of this puzzle missing…..you gave us two lines leaving DD-Patches and someone, Pleks-Gio and Briere? where is Eller? Is Gio hurt? Is omeone else out? is Parros playing….

Are you just being creative in trying to drum up posts?

48. veryhabby says:

Don’t worry, line ups here is a typo…

Prust with eller/galchenyuk as per Canadiens on twitter

White centering Moen/bournival

Bouillon in

49. slyCH says:

Rangers extend Lundqvist 7 years.

50. mdp2011 says:

I think Stu is mistaken on the line combos.

51. frontenac1 says:

Cassie Campbell for Jackie Redmond.

52. krob1000 says:

Does this mean Eller on the wing? I can’t see any ther way they do it? IS someone else out tonight?

53. Sportfan says:

How did he get hurt??

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

54. Bill says:

Habs 101: Do we have to give up Gorges? Maybe they would take Diaz. And do we have to give up Bourque? Maybe they would take Moen. And do we have to give them a 3rd? Maybe they’d take a fifth.

Obviously we could throw in Ellis or Leblanc. Obviously.

55. Bill says:

Kane and Pacioretty will score you about the same number of goals probably.

Kane plays meaner. Pacioretty is a better teammate and not a head case problem child.

Pacioretty had a better contract.

Take your pick. I pick Max.

56. mark-ID says:

Sorry if it has been mentioned already….but if Gallagher is back on a line with Prust and Chucky……where is Eller playing? On the wing with Desharnais?

The Habs twitter account has Prust rejoining Eller and Chucky…says nothing about Gallagher rejoining line….so Im confused.

57. slyCH says:

Is this HIO? I must be on the wrong site, no discussions about Parisian Muslims?…

58. Bill says:

Prop wash: Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers?? Nice reference.

59. Bill says:

I spoke too soon about Therrien going with the lines that worked!

Still, if it ain’t broke, I wouldn’t be fixing it.

60. Propwash says:

That’s ok Julien, we don’t think too highly of you or your team full of chuds.

____________________
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!

61. Habs_101 says:

Bourque, for whatever reason just doesnt seem to fit with this team. I wonder if we have the pieces to make something work to pry Bieksa out of Vancouver. Im thinking…

Bourque + Gorges + 3rd to VAN
    Hansen + Bieksa + 5th to MTL

Think they would bite, or is there enough to start a conversation?

Janick Hansen is Danish as well, and a natural right shot (as is Bieksa). He might look great beside Eller and Gally ?!

Patch – DD – Gallagher
    Gally – Eller – Hansen
    Briere – Pleks – Gionta
    Prust – Bournival/White – Moen
    Bournival/White, Parros

Markov – Subban
    Emelin – Bieksa
    Murray – Diaz
    Boullion – Patyern
    Tinordi – Beaulieu

GO HABS GO!

• Timo says:

How does this move improve Canucks’ defense?

• Habs_101 says:

Mostly its an improvement on offense for them… they are really hurting for wingers since BUrrows is out again for a while. THe swap of gorges + 3rd for Bieksa + 5th may be a slight downgrade but not overly, just different players, I think Bieksa being a right shot just works so much better for the habs D. I dont necessarily think this is a bad deal for either team. Essentially we slightly upgrade our D they slightly upgrade their forwards and improve their draft spot a bit… ?

GO HABS GO!

• Timo says:

I don’t know… I think Nucks would want a lot more if they were to give up Bieksa.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Pie in the sky stuff, we’re just shooting the breeze here, but if John Tortorella lost Kevin Bieksa he might retire or strangle Jason Botchford.

A big problem they have in Vancouver is that their defencemen are all lefties, they miss Sami Salo a lot. That’s why they tried out Yannick Weber, for his right-handed point shot on the power play. So the chances of them letting Kevin Bieksa, for that reason on top of the leadership, intangibles, toughness, etc., is minuscule.

I can’t believe you people question Michael Therrien’s moves.

63. Thomas Le Fan says:

60-40? I have a suggestion for those who don’t want to see Don Cherry on HNIC. Go make a sandwich and grab a beer during Coaches Corner. Sheesh, you’d actually prefer that idiotic dork, PJ Stock? Be careful what you ask for.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk but … there is fighting in hockey.

• Timo says:

What kind of sandwich ain’t to fattening?

A half a sandwich.

• ProHabs says:

It doesn’ t have to be a choice between Cherry and Stock. THey are both idiots. What I would like to see during the 1st intermission is features on HIO posters. Guys like Ian Cobb, Timo, HardHabits, Hobie, THomas Le Fan, UCR, John Bellyful, etc. What do these guys do during the day, what do they drive, what do their spouses look like, etc.

• Habsrule1 says:

Still looking for my name in your list :-(

Go Habs Go!!

• ProHabs says:

LOL. Your featured during the Afterhours segment. What does Habsrule1 drink at 2am? What bars does he hang out at? Etc.

• Habsrule1 says:

LOL….that would have been much more entertaining 20 years ago.
            The highlight for me recently in Vegas, no less, was beer or Scotch with a nice cigar at the Ignite Lounge at the end of the night!

Go Habs Go!!

64. Habfan10912 says:

I am certainly in the minority and am now doubting myself when I see knowledgeable posters like Kooch talk about Bourque’s recent play. I gotta admit the game on Monday I think he was just awful. I know he scored a goal but he didn’t seem to be skating at all. As a matter of fact I said to my buddies that he should play the game with boots on. Seconds later he scores.
    I’m not a fan of his game but I must be biased.

Bournival on the 3rd line tonight, please?

• Cal says:

Bourque’s shoulder looked busted up in the 3rd period.
      When healthy, he is an effective winger with size. He’s hit a string of injuries since he’s joined the Habs.

65. The Gumper says:

He’ll be traded by the end of the day….

66. bwoar says:

Think I’d prefer Galchenyuk-Eller-Bournival, rather than reuniting PGG. Taking Gallagher off the line with Pacioretty and Desharnais does not seem wise to me.

“thoroughbred”

• johnnylarue says:

Totally agree. I suspect this was just a practice thing…

• I agree. Don’t like that move at all, no sir.

DDonais

• habstrinifan says:

Beg to disagree with you. Bournival with Eller would be great. But I remember a week or so ago when MT readjusted his lines (after the woeful loss against ???) and put Bournival on with Moen, I posted that I thought that could be a surprisingly good change and that Bournival will have a positive impact on Moen. I think that has been the case.

Moen is playing, to use one of MT’s favourite words, inspired hockey”. I think he is out of any ‘unappreciated’ funk he was in because playing with Bournival has brought some excitement into his game.

And an involved Moen is important to this team.

From all indications (and this was echoed by one of radio TSN690 analysts on their morning ‘hockey table’, Moen is once again playing as if he feels appreciated. The analysts even went on to say that he thought it showed a renewed relationship between Moen and MT.

Eller will eventually start finding his touch again. But what Bournival has done for Moen has been hugely important for the team in its current upswing. Even though it ‘reduces ‘Bournival’s minutes, this 4th line tweaking by MT has been very productive… and I am not a johnny come lately on this move… I posted these sentiments the same day Boone used the line changes as his lead story. It was after the loss where fans for much of the game actually booed the dumb-arse hockey they were seeing.

67. Un Canadien errant says:

Re-posted from previous thread:

This is just banter, and I don’t expect that such a trade is in the works, but while I really like Evander Kane as a player, a former Vancouver Giant who was drafted fourth overall in 2009 behind John Tavares, Victor Hedman and Matt Duchene, a guy with scoring ability and some snarl to his game, if it’s up to me I stick with Max. He’s a fully developed, mature player who will be a great teammate, a great team player, who will work hard off and on the ice, and is already deeply involved in the community.

Evander Kane has many physical gifts, but right now he’s still a developing player, and we’d be trading a sure thing for potential, a proverbial bird in hand for 1.33 birds in the bush. I’m not sure that’s ever a good idea, and especially with a player like Mr. Kane, who hasn’t demonstrated the maturity and common sense to easily project how he’ll turn out. We saw how Guillaume Latendresse got sidetracked and never achieved his potential.

Evander Kane never raised any red flags while playing for the Giants, and had his jersey retired by them the night I attended a game to watch Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland play (http://relentlessineptitude.blogspot.ca/2012/03/vancouver-giants-1-tri-city-americans-2.html). I don’t remember any negative stories about him while he played in Atlanta, but that organization was adrift and he probably got away with a few things that he can’t now that he’s in Winnipeg and living in a fishbowl. That he’s not navigating those waters doesn’t inspire much hope that he’d do better in Montréal, where he’d have even more opportunities to stray, and more scrutiny. Simple things like failing to pay speeding tickets and jeopardizing his driver’s licence, and walking out on restaurant tabs and being called out for such behaviour on Twitter by workers in the industry, are indicators that he has low emotional intelligence, and that he’s a high-risk to never develop and to be a problem rather than an asset to the organization.

So yeah, Evander Kane, great to have him on my fantasy team the 2012 season, great player, but one that comes with baggage and should be treated with caution, and not someone that you trade a loyal soldier like Max, one with great work ethic, great production, and is signed for years to come.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

Morning Norm, from a distance I agree with your assessment, but I would be curious to hear from some of our Winnipeg based posters for their perspective on Kane.

So I guess you could say I am calling out Mr. Biter, Bwoar and other Peggers (sorry I have forgotten who else is out there) to provide their thoughts. I would ask my Mom, but she is busy making some Borscht soup this morning.

• Habfan10912 says:

We don’t make that move without getting Mrs. Burly’s scouting report!

• bwoar says:

Some of my response is below, but I want to make a point that:

1) There’s a strong working class here that reads, lives and breathes the Winnipeg Sun and Sun Media, and positively live to look down on anyone making millions of dollars – a lot of anti-Kane sentiment here is because folks can’t handle a guy showing off in ways that wouldn’t be that out-of-place in larger cities.

2) Even the “respectable” paper here (and I stretch the definition there) has pretty terrible hockey reporting and loves to hack on our team whenever possible. This is a tradition I grew up with, reading Scott Taylor (how I loathe his very face!!) and people have noticed that anything negative really, really, resonates with Winnipeggers. KEEP THAT IN MIND.

3) Save me some borscht, it’s a bit chilly out today. Naturally it’s beet borscht with dill, right?

I think Kane’s “behaviour” is normal for a young millionaire who moved here from Atlanta; if he leaves town the next team that gets him will benefit from the seasoning he’s getting here. He’d be as untouchable as they come if I were the GM. His reported attitude problems are blown out of proportion here and could be worked though if this team had competent management, which it doesn’t. At all.

“thoroughbred”

Can’t agree with you more as it relates to Scott Taylor!!! Oh how I loathe him as well, ran into him numerous times when he was at sporting events and felt the need to extol upon him what I thought about his reporting skills.

As for the borscht, no its a Mennonite styled borscht either beef or turkey based with no beets, but rather potatoes, dill, some veggies and just a whole lotta goodness.

Totally get point #1 having grown up there bud, never thought of it that way, good point.

• bwoar says:

Eh, any borscht is great! Never considered it with turkey, sounds delicious. Cut spare ribs work awesome too.

“thoroughbred”

• bwoar says:

Yes and no. Player #67′s contract really does it for me, more than anything else. As a player 1-for-1, I’d take Kane any day. He’s a real PF and has the same sniping ability as Max Pacioretty.

The downside with Kane, as you pointed out, is the maturity level – the Atlanta organization (led by Rick “Mr Wonderful” Dudley, I might point out) did little to help these guys along during their transition as pros. Montreal being a much more, er, stimulating place to live, I’d be very concerned about throwing the kid and his money into the fray. In Winnipeg, there’s less to do and so it’s harder for Kane to get into too much trouble (though admittedly, there’s a much higher chance of getting beaten up. Even him.)

In short I agree the skill upgrade isn’t worth it, even though I value Kane more as a player.

“thoroughbred”

• FlyAngler says:

Agree %1000 percent. Max is hitting his stride and showing himself to be a weapon on the PK as well as at even strength and on the PP. Too many character questions about Mr. Kane and even if you did not have to give up Max, I am not so sure that I would want to assume the risk inherent in bringing him into the room and upsetting the chemistry unless of course someone like Gallagher can provide intel from his time with the Vancouver Giants that dispels those concerns.

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• johnnylarue says:

Well said, UCe.

An old friend of my girlfriend’s is Evander’s uncle (no, really!), and I get the impression that he comes from a pretty good family… but still, not everyone comes equipped with the emotional maturity to deal with mountains of cash as a post-adolescent.

68. donmarco says:

Too bad about Bourque, but if the lines noted above remain intact, and assuming DB plays with Gio and Pleks, then by default the other line would be Eller, Patch and DD?

Interesting.

69. Also, I’m a bit bummed that Bourque is out, as he was looking pretty good last game and I’d like to see him continue to step up his game. Also, I hope he’s not seriously injured (I think I saw the hit, but can’t remember who administered it–at least it was clean) and is able to get back soon.

DDonais

Man, is he made out of glass? Every time Bourque takes a hit he ends up injured.

Game Day, Go Habs Go!