Habs’ Bergevin beaten out for NHL’s GM of the Year Award

Two years ago, general manager Marc Bergevin took over a Canadiens club that was the worst in the Eastern Conference (31-35-16) and the third-worst in the entire NHL.

This past season, the Canadiens finished fourth in the Eastern Conference (46-28-8) with 100 points during the regular season. But that wasn’t enough for Bergevin to win the General Manager of the Year Award at the NHL Awards Tuesday night in Las Vegas.

Bob Murray of the Anaheim Ducks won the award after his team finished with the second-best record in the NHL during the regular season (54-20-8), finishing one point behind the Boston Bruins (54-19-9). Dean Lombardi of the Stanley Cup-champion Los Angeles Kings was the third finalist for the GM award.

Voting for the GM award was conducted among the 30 NHL general managers and a panel of NHL executives, print and broadcast media at the end of the regular season. Murray finished first in voting with 66 points (nine first-place votes, six second-place votes and three third-place votes). Bergevin was second with 49 points (7-4-2) and Lombardi third with 33 points (3-4-6).

Former Canadiens goalie Patrick Roy won the Jack Adams Trophy as the NHL’s top coach after leading the Colorado Avalanche to a 52-22-8 record (the third-best in the league) during his rookie season behind an NHL bench.

Canadiens defenceman P.K. Subban was beaten out by the Boston Bruins’ Patrice Bergeron to be on the cover of the NHL15 video game.

Here’s the complete list of award winners:

Hart Trophy (Most Valuable Player): Sidney Crosby, C, Pittsburgh Penguins

Calder Trophy (Best Rookie): Nathan MacKinnon, C, Colorado Avalanche

Norris Trophy (Best Defenceman): Duncan Keith, Chicago Blackhawks

Vezina Trophy (Best Goaltender): Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins

Lady Byng Trophy (Most Sportsmanlike): Ryan O’Reilly, C, Colorado Avalanche

Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward): Patrice Bergeron, C, Boston Bruins

Masterton Trophy (Perseverance, Sportsmanship & Dedication to Hockey): Dominic Moore, C, N.Y. Rangers

Jack Adams Award (Best Head Coach)” Patrick Roy, Colorado Avalanche

Ted Lindsay Award (Most Outstanding Player as Voted by NHLPA):  Sidney Crosby, C, Pittsburgh Penguins

Mark Messier Award (Leadership On & Off the Ice): Dustin Brown, RW, Los Angeles Kings

King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Leadership On Ice and in Community): Andrew Ference, D, Edmonton Oilers

General Manager of the Year: Bob Murray, Anaheim Ducks

Art Ross Trophy (Regular Season Scoring Leader): Sidney Crosby, C, Pittsburgh Penguins

Richard Trophy (Regular Season Goal Leader): Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Washington Capitals

Jennings Trophy (Lowest Goals Against Average): Jonathan Quick, Los Angeles Kings

King Clancy Trophy (Humanitarian Contribution to the Community): Andrew Ference, D, Edmonton Oilers

(Photo by John Kenney/The Gazette)

Subban at top of GM Bergevin’s agenda, by Pat Hickey of The Gazette

NHL award winners and voting results, NHL.com

1. Thurston says:

Reports suggest Mike Weaver hasn’t been offered a contract and he will explore other options. Too bad… I thought his contributions were solid.

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 2m
    Looking elsewhere? Colleague @Richardlabbe says UFA @mikeweaver_43 will not get a contract offer from #Habs

• Habfan17 says:

I am surprised, however, teams can talk with free agents now and perhaps MB would rather sign Tom Gilbert, or someone else. It could be Weaver was offered a contract and he didn’t accept it so MB is exploring other options.

Habfan17

• TommyB says:

I also like Weaver’s contribution. But I get the sense that probably at least 2 of these 3….Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn …will start the season in Montreal. Could be that they need to make some room.

• Habfan17 says:

I think you are right, the thought probably is that at least 2 of them will make it. I think if MB could sign Gilbert for 2, maybe 3 seasons and Pateryn makes it, the Habs could move a left handed defenceman for some help on the top 2 lines. Bennett is now finished school and is very solid and had a leadership role on his team. He brings much of the same skills as Beaulieu and seems much more mature. Emelin brings that physical edge the Habs really need so perhaps Gorges can be moved.

I would not mind seeing Tokarski and Beaulieu or Bennett and Gorges to Winnipeg for Kane and a 2nd round pick. That would really help the Jets and give them a young player and Kane as the 2nd line left wing would allow Bourque to slide over to the right side.

Habfan17

2. TommyB says:

Can anyone in the southern Ontario region, particularly in the Niagara region, tell me if they have used Centre Ice in recent years and whether or not all Habs games were available to them.

I tried Centre Ice a number of years ago, until RDS began broadcasting all Habs games. Even though I was paying $200 for the season, some Habs games were blacked out. Have any of you had that happen? Or has that changed in recent years?

I need to start considering all my options now due to this Rogers Canadian NHL broadcasting monopoly. I know I’ll get HNIC on CBC but the rest seems to be doubtful. Sure I can get Sportsnet and CITY, but I’m getting the sense that the Habs games will not be available to me in my area of Ontario, on those channels.

• mrhabby says:

I live I Pickering and saw every Habs games on Centre Ice…all of them.

• TommyB says:

Great. Can’t see it being any different here then. So worst case scenario is I subscribe to Centre Ice. Sucks, but I need all Habs games. I’ll wait until September to see how everything shakes out before I do subscribe, but at least I know I have an option that will give me all 82 games. Thanks for your help.

• ClutchNGrab says:

Last year was under a different tv deal. It can’t be used as a reference.

Sorry, I posted earlier that the link didn’t work, but it does, just not for my postal code, so here it is, you put your postal code or zip code and it will tell you what is being black out on nhl center ice in your region:

3. Paz says:

Ok, my last post on Vanek. I was thrilled that we acquired him. I would have made that same trade in a second. But when Therrien took him off the Desharnais, Max line, he showed no character. He quit. He was not injured, he quit.

You don’t pay a man like that 7 million.

Bergevin believes in character in the room, and so do I.

Vanek is done. He will not sign here, and Therrien and Bergevin don’t want him.

4. mrhabby says:

whats up with Awards..OMG. I just could not watch. so boring year after year. Hockey players have to be the most quiet conservative bunch I have ever run into.

I actually like how baseball does their awards, each day another winner is announced and the talking heads can dissect it.

I don’t think in any format the Awards show is exciting, except for fans from a particular city who may have a player up for the Hart trophy, maybe.

• Luke says:

I don’t even go to my own hockey league’s season ending banquet. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to watch someone else’s.

• plum says:

NHL players learn pretty early that if you show too much personality on the ice or off it, the media dinosaurs will crucify them for “disrespecting the game” or “arrogance” or “classless behaviour.”

5. Luke says:

Vancouver may declare city is on ‘unceded land’ belonging to First Nations

Huh. That’s an odd one.

Vancouverers (that’s the offical term) what’s that mean?

I know this comment means she isn’t a forward thinker:

Coun. Andrea Reimer of Vision Vancouver introduced the motion and said she isn’t concerned about possible legal ramifications of declaring the city is on unceded territory because Vancouver is not involved in treaty negotiations and has no such authority over land.

So your saying the First Nations people are now paying Torts not to coach the Canucks?

• Say Ash says:

Vancouverites.

• New says:

That’s all right. Last month I voted to annex Vancouver, Surrey, North Van, West Van, Langley…well the lot of them and granted them a degree of autonomy in handling their affairs. Hands off so to speak. However I am seriously considering turning the administration and executive branches over to Tsawwassen First Nation. I just have to figure out the paperwork and if the Nation will take on so many wards at once.

In other words if Vancouver council would spend as much time correcting the conditions their polices have promoted towards the actual people of the FN rather than proclamations on matters they have no authority over then the whole city would be a sight better off.

6. Mike D says:

Not to stoke the fire any further, and a lot of good points have been made re: the TV deal over the past few days (even some good points that counter other good points), but I DO think it’s fair to criticize Bell. Not because it will change anything now, I realize that, but they had just as good a chance as Rogers did to win the broadcasting rights. They failed.

While I’m sure money was the key reason Rogers won, they also had a much better platform to broadcast games – just think of all the various Sportsnet channels (5 of them), plus other sister stations like City and FX Canada they were willing to utilize.

What did Bell have? TSN and TSN2. RDS which is french only. And it was reported that they were not willing to use sister stations like Global etc. to broadcast games. Then about a month ago TSN announces that they will be adding more sports stations (TSN3, TSN4, TSN5) in the near future. What the F for? The right idea, but about a year or two too late. And typical of Bell to be asleep at the wheel. I don’t even know what they plan on broadcasting on all those channels, besides maybe time-shifting what’s already on TSN and TSN2.

While we can’t know for sure, I think it’s fair to assume that had Bell won the rights, RDS would have continued to show the Habs games nationally. BUT, because Bell didn’t pony up the money and have a more viable platform at the time, us Habs fans (or those west of Belleville to be more specific) lose.

While CBC, Sportsnet, and TSN all have some talking heads/commentators/insiders which are not to our liking, I consider TSN the best of the bunch by far. Another loss, and this time for ALL fans of every team.

For that, I think we all have a good enough reason to fling some poop Bell’s way. And for the record, I don’t like Rogers either.

Sorry….just wanted to get that all out.

– Honestly yours
    Twitter: @de_benny

I think there was a great deal of complacency at Bell leading up to the NHL’s decision to go with Rogers in such a big way. I listened to many of the talking heads, media insiders etc…. following the deal going public.

Nobody envisioned the Rogers Corp. coming up with such a grandeur offering, all platforms covered both TV and Internet rights etc…. Bell I think were sitting there just assuming that if they made a big offer on the nights they wanted (Saturday in addition to their existing Wednesdays) that the league would grant them their night and voila, TSN becomes the head cheese in Canada for Hockey.

Give the head of Rogers credit for getting creative (they bought a real big money counter) and approaching the NHL with the all encompassing offer they did. Apparently Rogers themselves scrambled to put together the deal in the week leading up to the deadline.

Bell was simply caught sleeping at the wheel (something they have done with their landline customers for decades granted) and CBC of course was just looking for handouts, as they are want to do.

I still think Rogers is going to have big headaches and I think they bit off more than they can chew. This deal could have ripple affects, already this season the Jays in the offseason asked a couple players to rejig their salaries so they could get another player. While Rogers is huge, the money they have to pay the NHL is really HUGE.

There will be adjustments to this deal over the 12 years, that is my prediction.

• Mike D says:

It’s just amazing to me that both companies were so unprepared for such a big deal. And I heard the same story about Rogers putting together the deal pretty much at the last minute.

You’d think both companies would have had contingency plans in case the competition really went all-out (which is ultimately what Rogers did). Have a few variations of offers they could make to ensure they get the rights.

I’d love to know what happened once Rogers offered them that big deal. I assume Bettman took it to Bell and asked if they could beat it and Bell just said no.

I really hope you’re right about the deal changing over the course of the 12 years. Not sure how much of it can be changed though without breaching the contract.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

7. Hobie says:

I’m with you guys regarding the economy, bills, cable…

My girlfriend and I work 40hrs a week, make OK money and barely half a dime leftover to go out and have a bit of fun on the weekend. The cost of Gas, Hydro and Rogers is now beyond ridiculous. Throw in the cost of groceries now, rent or mortgage. The cost of living is skyrocketing and the wages are staying the same or in some cases are even going down.

I live in the RDS “regional” broadcast area so I won’t need Center Ice or whatever but I’m still thinking of cancelling cable. Kinda sad that it’s a luxury and almost unaffordable for a guy to sit on his couch and watch a hockey game in 2014.

In the past I used to frown upon people who would strike for better pay or the G8 summit riots and that kinda stuff. Now I’m thinking of jumping on board myself.

In a few cases these increases in costs for certain things are warranted bud sadly in most it’s for the upper echelon to continue to receive bonuses, salary increases and make huge bucks while the other 95% suffer.

• arcosenate says:

Used to be going to the game was the luxury. LOL, unless I score free tickets I do not go. The cable boys have us by the short ones and they know it.

• Paz says:

It’s about priorities Hobie. What’s important, and where you want to spend your money.

I have not bought a case of beer in 25 years or a cigarette pack in the last 10.

The thousands I have saved went into my leisure budget.

Not lecturing. Just pointing out that we all make choices about money every day.

• Hobie says:

Oh I agree my friend. It’s pretty sad though when people with decent jobs who work their tail off to make someone else rich have to devise grand schemes to budget money to go grab a burger and a beer on the weekend.

• mrhabby says:

how much does it cost you a month to watch Habs games..

• Hobie says:

My cable bill is currently $80 a month. Like I said though, add that to all the other crap we’re getting ripped off on and it adds up pretty quick.

• mrhabby says:

you need to work more hours…lol.

• Hobie says:

I’ve got a friend who has a good job with the government and his wife makes close to $100K as a speech therapist. After their mortgage in Toronto, daycare for two kids, car payments and all the other stuff that comes along with it…they’re pinching pennies and are stressed out of their minds half the time.

• mrhabby says:

high mortgage payment or living beyond your means is usually what happens.

• Hobie says:

The thing is that people aren’t living beyond their means, they’re being gouged and ripped off.

8. arcosenate says:

Not a lot of mention of Habs in trade rumours or even draft rumours. That means there’s a blockbuster coming…

9. mrhabby says:

I would not be surprised if Vanek ends up being in Mtl …see Gaborik in LA. Maybe the landscape is changing.

• Paz says:

That is not going to happen. Vanek should have been benched for game 6 vs the Rangers.

• Habfan17 says:

It could happen. I have read on a few media sites now that Minny isn’t really interested based on how their young players progressed last season and the coin it will cost to sign him. Unless Vanek really wants to play there and will take a “hometown” discount, that looks like it is not a for sure thing. I did also read that Nashville may be very interested in getting Vanek to sign. So, even if The Wild aren’t looking to sign him, the Habs will still have competition. It will come down to , does he want to play in the spotlight and have a chance at the cup, or does he want to play in relative anonymity and perhaps not win a cup.

Habfan17

• Mike D says:

Let’s also not discount his desire (or lack thereof) to play for MT, especially after MT’s recent extension.
        If there are any serious conversations between MB and TV’s camp, I think that will also be a large sticking point.

– Honestly yours
        Twitter: @de_benny

10. Maritime Ronn says:

Some final details on the Markov contract

Year 1 NTC.
    Year 2-3 Markov chooses 12 teams he could be traded to.

Cap Hit: $5.75M for 3 years.
    Salaries
    Year 1: $7M
    Year 2: $6M
    Year 3: $4.25M

11. JF says:

It seems a little strange that a team that reached the Conference Final won no awards at all. I guess no one on our team was all that good – no players, not the coaches or GM. Oh well. It suits me fine if the NHL in general under-estimates the Habs, thinks half-a-dozen other goaltenders are better than Price and a dozen defencemen better than P.K. When we do best is when no one predicts we’ll do well.

12. mrhabby says:

I have had Centre Ice for a couple of years and have watched all Habs games. When the visiting team is American its American broadcasters. When the season ends they don’t charge you anymore. I also add in NFL football so it does become a little pricey when both start to play games.

Speaking of NHL awards, to the best of my knowledge no Leaf player got a single vote for any NHL award.

24 Cups

14. HabsWin-nipeg says:

Re: the Markov contract. I was hoping for a two year deal, and was initially not excited about 3 years BUT – I never anticipated that MB would be able to get him to sign a deal that didn’t have a NTC in it. I think the key to this deal is the limited NTC in years 2 & 3. If the young guys force the issue, MB has a valuable (potentially very valuable) trade asset after next year. I would guess that was the compromise that Markov made to get a 3 year deal. Of course, all this hinges on Markov’s health, but that’s the same with any contract, whether over 35 or not. Seems to me MB did pretty well with an unwinnable hand in regards to Markov holding all the good cards.

15. Paz says:

What’s the story with Milan Michalek?

How do people feel about him?

Whenever I’ve seen him, he’s always looked good to me.

16. toinz says:

Don’t know if this has been mentioned but the only two playoff coaches not to receive votes were Darryl Sutter and Alain Vignault…oh well

• Dunboyne Mike says:

The awards are decided before the playoffs, and therefore must be based on the regular season.

Yet the voters seem to be preoccupied with projections concerning the playoffs! Missing out on the SCF coaches is a good example.

Solution: decide the awards after the playoffs. The regular season is only an exercise in separating the men from the boys prior to the Real Thing.

17. Saintpatrick33 says:

I’m more disappointed with the fact that Subban lost the NHL 15 cover vote than Bergevin GM of the year award to be honest.

18. Chris says:

The NHL knew what it was doing…there was a huge, untapped market of subscribers that were not paying for the NHL’s Centre Ice package because of the RDS deal. Consequently, that loophole, exploited by Montreal fans alone in the NHL, has been closed.

The NHL is a multi-billion dollar business, and they are looking to squeeze every penny out that they can find to increase profits. Montreal fans treat universal 82-game Habs coverage like some sort of inalienable right that is covered under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It hasn’t been for the vast majority of the team’s existence, and we’ve now returned to that state of affairs. The past few years were an anomalous blip.

Petition away…you will receive a form letter that acknowledges your concerns and promises to look into the matter. They will then encourage you to purchase Centre Ice, just like every other hockey fanbase has to do if they want to catch the majority of their team’s games.

Many of you will balk at the huge spike in costs associated with watching all the games. Voting with your wallet is the only recourse you basically have. And even with that drastic measure, I suspect that the league has considered that option, but they are counting on that enough people will happily fork over the money to get Centre Ice such that the league will still come out ahead.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Would the Hab games on Centre Ice be in English or French and how many of the 82 games would be presented?

24 Cups

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I’ve had center ice in the past and most of the time you’re stuck with the American english broadcast (if we’re playing an American team).

• Chris says:

Hard to say…I suspect they will have to work something out to acknowledge that Montreal’s fan base has unique language demands.

The Leafs had all but 17 games aired on Centre Ice last year, with those last 17 being only available on Leafs TV in their regional market. I suspect something similar will happen with Montreal.

• careysubban3176 says:

I live in Pennsylvania U.S. I order NHL centre ice every year and get roughly 75 of the games with the other 7 which air on the nbc sports network

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• mrhabby says:

English.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

Voting with my wallet and streaming games for free online. The league and the cable companies can just count me out.

• 34748hockey says:

For those of us who are not not familiar with “free online streaming” could someone give some simple directions. Also, would streaming of Canadiens games work in the US?

• Maritime Ronn says:

With a post like that, expect a petition against you.
      It would be called the “Against Reality” petition.
      :-)
      By the way, spare part Matt Greene signed for 4 years /$10M

• Chris says:

I saw that…I think it is a mistake career wise for him to stay there, but it could be that he and his family are happy there so I can’t fault him. He should get ice time this season so long as Mitchell isn’t re-signed, but the Kings are definitely interested and Mitchell very much wants to stay.

• marvin20 says:

Wow great post!!! thanks for pointing out the obvious. You really opened my eyes, I had no idea LOL

God forbid we enjoyed what we had, I feel terrible I enjoyed something that is now no longer available. Shame on me…. Shame!

• toinz says:

Can many people share a slingbox, as in everybody connects to one person’s slingbox and watches all the games? Cuz if you can do that, it instantly fixes the problem.

• FB says:

Already cancelled my BellTV, the only reason I had it was for RDS.

I’ve now gone OTA, So I guess I’ll only get the CBC and CITYTV broadcasts in Toronto. At least it’s free.

• habs-fan-84 says:

Chris, I think a lot of the anger has to do with the way the Rogers deal was initially trumpeted. I remember the proclamation that there would be no more blackouts, more availability for everyone etc. Naturally, this has increased the cost of watching games for everybody. Unfortunately for many people, times are tight economically and I understand peoples frustrations.

In the end, I suspect you’re right. A petition will achieve nothing. The NHL will come out ahead with increased demand for their Centre Ice package. Naturally, there will be those who turn to internet based streams, but the increased demand for Centre Ice will vastly outweigh the minority who turn to (free) alternatives.

Below you referred to peoples reactions as “comcial”. Please remember, for some, the increased cost hurts in an already tough economy (little wage growth in the private sector and rising food and energy costs – necessary products which are conveniently stripped out of core CPI).

Good post.

• Chris says:

Believe me, I understand the tough economic times. My salary is probably in the bottom 10% of people on this site, despite over a decade of post-graduate education and experience. This economy sucks…I am devastated for the kids that are graduating into the world that has been left for them by the older generations.

My point was that Habs fans had a loophole, that has now been closed. We can rant and rage, we can write petitions, but it isn’t going to make a lick of difference: Habs fans were paying WAY below the market rate for what they were receiving, and now the NHL and Rogers have moved to correct that problem.

• Loop_Garoo says:

You might end up with a promo code to purchase centre ice for the first year as well. You are right though Chris, they have analyzed every detail, statistic, viewer habit etc, and have put forth the model that they feel will maximize profitability. I love hockey and the habs, am on this site every day, however the fact of the matter is that no matter how much we love it, it is a diversion, and it really is not important, and we cannot expect any large concessions due to any moral or ethical obligation, there simply isn’t one. If you feel that hockey is an important part of your identity (ie: if asked to describe yourself, if “habs fan” was in the top five things you listed) you need to work on broadening your life a bit, with all due respect. I really don’t have much time to watch more than 10 or 15 games anyway (playoffs not included, all bets are off there), plus the 4 or 5 Colts games I’ll watch here in Barrie, as the arena is almost beside my office, and not far from my home.

• Kooch7800 says:

You are right they knew exactly what they were doing. My issue is that with Rogers you can’t buy the Centre ice hockey package on TV you have to get the Super sports back witch is 30/month to get a bunch of sports I don’t watch. A complete rip off. If they are blacking out games you should be able to add just the NHL package to your cable for 10 dollars a month instead of exploiting more cash out. Hence why I will be doing hockey streams this year so the NHL and Rogers get 0 revenue out of it

19. Maritime Ronn says:

@TSNBobMcKenzie:
    Ryan Callahan and his agent expected this morning to finalize/sign off on contract with TB. Will be 5 or 6 yrs with likely AAV of $5.5M+.
    —————-
    At that term and money he would have been a perfect fit for the Habs

• 24 Cups says:

I seriously doubt an American born player would pass on New York or Tampa to play in Montreal.

Speaking of New York, it appears that Callahan’s agent cost his player his captaincy and some coin by trying to squeeze the Rangers with totally unrealistic demands for a player who is not elite and has a history of injuries.

Rumour has it that Gaborik is being offered 3 years/15M by LA.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what Vanek gets.

Stralman looking at 4M a season in New York while Greene re-signs in LA. Basically leaves Pitkanen and Boyle. The Markov contract could be looking pretty good by July 1st.

24 Cups

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agree about your 1st paragraph.

This setting of the market could get very interesting.
        No max years for Callahan and if the Gaborik situation is even close to being true, the whole dynamic for 30 something players may be changing.
        Leafs were 1 year too early…

• 24 Cups says:

Mackenzie states that Bolland is looking at a 7-8 year deal. For a 2nd line centre? You have to think Shanahan is too smart for that notion.

24 Cups

We don’t know though how happy Callahan was in New York. But indeed, it looks like money was left on table. Granted Callahan is now playing in one of the tax havens in the States compared to New York, and certainly has nicer winter weather to deal with.

• Loop_Garoo says:

It is possible that Callahan decided he simply did not want to live in NY any more, and wanted a bit of a different lifestyle. Maybe he decided he loves florida and wants to stay there no matter what.

• Kooch7800 says:

still too much cash for a 40 point player

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie

“BTW, as of 12:01 a.m. today (last night) NHL teams free to talk to all UFAs and RFAs. Can’t make binding offers but sales pitches are fine.”

McKenzie also expects Callahan to re-sign with Tampa today for less coin than the final Ranger offer. As more players re-sign with their home teams it only increases the chances that Gionta re-signs with the Habs. Of course, Montreal still needs a RW to replace Vanek even if they do sign Gionta.

24 Cups

NHL awards night show!

It was a different format and a little dry compared to past years.

I thought that all awards were given to the #1s who deserved!
    No complaints about any of them.
    Avalanche picked up 3.

22. Curtoph says:

If you are planning on subscribing to center Ice for the computer you can look into VLC links on hockey reddit forum it gives you access to all nhl’s streams on your computer for free just takes a few min before a game to set it up.

23. JF says:

If Rogers are not making Habs games available nation-wide, why are they preventing RD§ from doing so? How would it hurt Rogers if the “regional” RD§ package of 60 games were national?

• Bill J says:

Comparing the French channels (because RDS is French after all)

TVA won the national rights, but will only be airing 20-32 regular season games. THEY are the ones the petitions should be aimed at, they paid for the national rights and petitioning anyone else is pointless.

RDS won the regional rights, be defacto because TVA is not continuing what RDS previously did in airing all 82 regular season games nationally.

Petition TVA to buy out RDS regional rights (otherwise RDS paid for nothing) and ALSO air all 82 regular season games for the next 12 seasons.

Yup, looks to me like Karl Peladeau is doing a nice job of taking away Habs interest from the rest of Canada, thankfully he would never be the type to have an agenda behind his moves.

• myron.selby says:

This is the most sensible thing I’ve read on this topic. I would be happy to buy TVA sports or whatever the channel is called. What I don’t want to do is have to subscribe to 3 or 4 different channels to see the Habs play.

….Summit information….

I have chosen Nov. 8th vs Wild game for our 2014 HIO Fan Summit in Montreal. The night of Guy Lapointe sweater retirement (I think) as he works for the Wild.
    I have had talks with the Bell Center and our special game tickets look like a go. But do not book your plane flights or hotels until they confirm everything to me. I will post as soon as I know!

Looking forward to seeing all of you again for a great weekend in Montreal. —Ian

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

25. Dust says:

I have to say something regarding this RDs whinning that is going on.

RDs doesn’t have national rights to the habs anymore. Deal with it, it’s over.
    Hab fans across Canada have been spoiled.
    No other nhl team had all their games on a national broadcast. No other team!!
    Fans of the habs who don’t live in the local tv area will have to watch the games the same way an oiler fan who lives in halifax watches his team play.
    If you want to watch all the habs games there are options for you to do so no matter where you live in the world.

• Cal says:

Aw, c’mon! It’s summer. We need something to get through to the draft.

• Chris says:

It has been rather comical.

• Loop_Garoo says:

Ok, that is just far to calm and commonsensical, and thereby violates many of the most sacred traditions here at HIO.

My issue with all the complaining is the misdirection, as you point out, this has zero to do with RDS and everything to do with all the National rights being sold to a new partner. That the new partner chooses not to televise many Habs games is more the issue.

For instance, I would be curious to find out if next season a resident in Vancouver can watch more Leaf of Habs games through carriers now having the rights to NHL games. I understand that living in the parameters of a local team, you can get every game, but I wonder if the Leaf coverage will now be far more reaching than it was earlier.

26. Dunboyne Mike says:

A little refresher course on Suarez’ previous World Cup infamy:

27. Cal says:

Can we say Suarez is chomping at the bit to get to the next round?
    Glad to see Italy’s “bore them all to death” brand of soccer didn’t fool anyone this World Cup.
    The reffing is horrible. How can 1 man on the field with 22 players see anything, really?
    Is it time to start ejecting players who pretend they’ve been struck by an axe only to return 2 minutes later? I do. I would yellow card them for one of Jabba’s EmbellishMints™.

28. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning….Petition Inside Out

Interesting voting results on the awards.

1) Vezina – voted on by the NHL General managers

Carey Price received 2 first place votes-3 second place votes-7 third place votes.
    That means that 18 NHL general Managers did not consider Price a Top 3 NHL season goalie last year.

2) Norris Trophy-voted on by the ‘Professional’ Writers:
    Subban tied for 14th receiving only 1 third place vote and 1 fifth place vote.

Here’s wondering how influenced these writers may be by Habs coaching deciding not to play Subban on defence for the penalty kill.
    Subban had the…6th most PK minutes (55) for all Habs D last year.
    Even Karlsson had more with 123.

All the results here:

• Cal says:

1. Price had a great year. For 18 GMs to not think so smacks of jealousy
      2. Not Subban’s year for it. His play was erratic for a long time, as in trying to do too much all the time. I love it when he pulls off a spectacular play- that pass to Gally vs TBay in the first round- but hate the many times he carried and held on to the puck too long. Can’t always go for the long bomb and shouldn’t take too long to move the puck up the ice.
      He will be better this year and be a Norris candidate.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Re point #2 these are the same writers who voted for him last year when he was 6th on the team in short-handed time on ice per game.

So I would guess it had no influence. More likely is the fact that he won it last year, and had a dropoff in performance this year.

The reality is that there was a stretch after the Olympics when PK was not playing well.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Maritime Ronn says:

He had good offensive stats last year in those 48 games.

I wonder how many Western Conference writers actually saw Subban play last year as there were no Inter-conference games.

Did Helene Elliot of the LA Times jump on a plane to see Subban play before she voted?

• DipsyDoodler says:

Also I suspect most voters, whether GM or sportswriter, just look at the stats. They pick the highest scoring d-man and the goalie with the best save %.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• mksness says:

you can still be a top 3 goalie but have 3 other guys that have statistically better seasons than you. price missed a few games this year and that most likely hurt some of his votes

• Chris says:

The gap between #1 and #6 or #7 among goalies is pretty tiny. So while we perceive Price as a bona fide top-3 goalie because we watch him play all the time, you can make strong cases for a lot of other goalies as well: Rask and Bishop had the stats, Varlamov had the feel-good worst-to-first, Quick and Lundqvist overcame poor starts to their seasons and were back in Vezina form by the end of the season. Bobrovsky and Price were just off the leaders in GAA, but nobody can question that they are elite goalies.

I have no problem with the GM’s putting Price 4th. Take away the Olympics, and Price’s season was good, but not great. It would have been hard to give him the Vezina this season.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Ronn…interesting take on voting but have you ever thought the voting was balanced and resulted in best selections….ever…I man ever. Now I appreciate reading your posts but when is this insane posting on PK going to subside….my God he will be influencing the weather soon…I watch all Habs games and he had some doozies last year. It would have been a travesty to vote him the Norris this year and probably he didn’t derserve it last year. Look I am a fan of the Habs and have been for 50+ years but man this PK stuff has taken on a life of it’s own. Are we so desparate to cheer a good to really good talent as to act like teens in our expressions. Tell me how good he is when he leaves Montreal in the future. Money is what the elite ( an over used word for sure and most don’t deserve it ) are about…his Habs fanbase will dilute itself rather quickly when he signs for the big $ in the future for another team. Oh he may sign this contract as a RFA but we’ll see in future. Persoanlly I wonder what the other players on the team think when one player is God and the others are taken for granted by the media and fans. I think the coaches are a true reflection of what the player is…after all it’s their jobs on the line. He didn’t play much on the PK because otheres offered less of a risk. If the coaches think that why wouldn’t the people voting think that ?

• New says:

In the abbreviated NHL 2013 season the sports writers talked about the strike. Finally the strike was settled and a shortened training camp began. Everyone was happy to get back to work. One guy and his agent decided to sit out for the contract he wanted. Now a RFA sitting out is unusual but not unheard of. Under the circumstances though it was an odd ploy. The guy and his agent were betting the bottom tier team would collapse without him, management felt otherwise. Take whatever side of the issue you like, the buzz began.

Then, 48 games later, the writers voted on the Norris. They didn’t pick the best D-man, they picked the guy they were most excited about. The best D-man in the NHL is Shea Weber. Doughty is second. Keith is third. Chara is definitely top 10.

After reading this thread the only conclusion I can come to is that there are way too many awards given out by the NHL.

24 Cups

• Cal says:

It’s supposed to be a fun way to wrap up the season. If Strombo is going to like he was last night, HNIC is going to continue with its dismal broadcasting.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

And the list above omits some really important awards which would unfortunately have made that list even longer, including:

The MCHammer Award (best goal celebration): Marc Bergevin

The Dr Recchi Award (best on-ice testicular screening award): Milan Lucic

The HG Wells Invisible Man Award: (best disappearing act in the playoffs): Brad Marchand

The PJ Stock Award: PJ Stock

30. Habfan10912 says:

Are you kidding me? You could actually bet on World Cup biting? Jeez.

31. Cal says:

Good job getting 635 signatures thus far.
    Spread the word, folks.
    It’s what those smart phones are for.

• 24 Cups says:

Hainsey was one of the main participants from the lockout that the NHL tried to punish. Luckily for him, Carolina was desperate for help. He now turns that luck into a three year deal which gives him close to an extra 10M post lockout salary.

24 Cups

32. Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning HIO.

Anyway, to continue last summer’s important discussion of Montreal smoked meat, the McCord Museum is running a retrospective exhibition based on Bens. Would love to hear from anyone who takes a look.

And if you feel like going for a bite after…

… go to Uruguay!

33. BJ says:

Good morning HIO friends. Here is a link I would like to forward to Lucic and Suarez. Its well worth the minutes.

34. howiemorenz7 says:

Now that we have ill-advisedly signed Marky to three (!) years of slowness and injury, it’s time to trade a D of some value to get a F of some value. We haven’t had a freaking top 10 scorer since Mats Naslund. Look it up. It’s TIME

Maroons Suck. #7 foreva.

35. Habitant in Surrey says:

Les fans de Compagnons du Tricolore, … Si vous êtes le souscripteur d’un Roger de rien … TV, internet, téléphone portable … RIEN Roger

Téléphone Roger, … leur conseille calmement Vous passez votre entreprise X, Y ou Z.

Quand ils vous demandent pourquoi, leur dire calmement pourquoi …c’est parce que vous êtes fan de l’un des Canadiens de Montréal

Je pense qu’ils vont ajouter 2 + 2 ensemble

“Manifestation Rogers panne de Canadiens jeu … à signer:

• NightRyder says:

With a phone complaint, you’ll more likely get someone from the Philippines pretending to care. Contact as many media people as you can, and hope one picks up the ball. Tell them it’s a French vs. English thing.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

I’m talking end your business with Roger’s, I’m not talking ‘complain’.

That’s why I say ‘calmly’, because who you’re talking to is half a world away, …the bean-counters in Taranna will eventually pick-up ‘something’ is amiss when accounts are being terminated ?

36. Habitant in Surrey says:

Près de 650 que signé notre pétition en ligne pour Roger.

Je tiens vraiment à faire à 1000, … j’espère pour ce soir ou demain matin.

Si Y’all peut roust certains des membres de votre famille, vos amis et connaissances où vous vivez ou dans d’autres régions du Canada et des États-Unis (en fait, l’Afrique, l’Europe, ou Asie) qui sont partisans du Tricolore et sont à ce jour encore aucune idée sur la pétition, leur donner un heads-up s’il vous plaît.

650 je pense que c’est un nombre assez agréable à partir d’un seul site de fans en moins de 18 heures, vous ne pensez pas?

Cela signifie qu’il est vrai souci et le ressentiment de ce qui s’est passé, en particulier pour des Canadiens de Montréal Les fans à la suite du contrôle de Roger des droits de diffusion à compter de cette saison à venir.

Certains disent que Roger acheté les droits et ils peuvent faire ce qu’ils veulent.

I, et d’autres pas si crédule, dire des foutaises!

Les Canadiens de Montréal n’est pas seulement une «franchise de hockey« comme les autres, il est un Insitution national important pour les gens de Whitehorse au Yukon à Conception Bay à Terre-Neuve.

Les Canadiens représentent aussi le plus grand amateur de hockey-base la plus diversifiée au Canada, côte à côte à l’autre. Pour dire Roger ne peut pas faire un produit financièrement possible de Channel a Tricolore, ou avoir un partenariat de coopération avec TVA et les filiales de Bell, TSN et RDS est superposé.

C’est quelque chose si nous ne montrons pas notre frustration et de rejet de, Roger effet va faire à leur guise.

Ne sous-estimez pas la puissance de la mauvaise presse, la perte d’activités et irrité les fans de Tricolore je dis.

C’est d’une importance culturelle pour les francophones partout au Canada, pas seulement au Québec, Est de l’Ontario et dans les Maritimes. Avec assez de vitupérations cela a aussi le potentiel de devenir un enjeu culturel et politique.

Donc, gardons pilonnant à Roger, et ne pas laisser en place jusqu’à ce qu’il y est un produit abordable pour tous les revenus-groupes de partisans des Canadiens de partout au Canada pour voir jouer leur équipe précieux c’est l’horaire complet d’une manière qui n’est pas compliqué et coûteux pour tout le monde .

Il ne peut pas arriver du jour au lendemain, il peut être mortel combattue par les cônes têtes à Roger à Toronto. Mais, il ne faut pas oscillent jusqu’à Roger a créé un simili d’un Tricolore Canal abordable pour tous les matchs des Canadiens de Montréal disponibles à travers le Canada, de préférence avec des options d’entendre le jeu soit en français ou en anglais.

Je suis sûr que si Roger commercialisée que de la bonne façon, ce sera une situation gagnant-gagnant pour les deux Rogers et nos fans.

____________________________________________________

Pour tous les membres HIO: c’est compte Twitter le lien de Scott Moore; https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore

Scott Moore est président de Sportsnet et NHL Hockey pour Rogers.

Aucun d’entre vous avec un compte Twitter, lui donner votre opinion de l’accès du Roger de télévision pour nos Canadiens de Montréal

Pendant que vous y êtes, lui fournir le lien vers notre page de pétition pour qu’il puisse signer :)

“Manifestation Rogers panne de Canadiens jeu … à signer:

37. Habitant in Surrey says:

Y at-il de langue française membres HIO ou des lecteurs qui peuvent laisser le lien de la pétition ci-dessous dans les sites et blogs de habs de langue française?

“Manifestation Rogers panne de matchs des Canadiens … à signer”:

38. Habitant in Surrey says:

Fellow Habs’ Fans, …if You are a Roger’s subscriber of ANYTHING …T.V., internet, cell-phone …ANYTHING Roger’s

Phone Roger’s, …calmly advise them You are switching Your business to X, Y or Z.

When they ask You why, calmly tell them why, …it is because You are a Montreal Canadiens’ Fan

I think they will add 2 + 2 together

• Loop_Garoo says:

Simply not possible unfortunately. My phone is elsewhere, home and business run on the only viable option, Rogers. Not paying an extra $100 per month just so I can watch 3 more habs games a year. NHL centre ice is the only real option. I appreciate the effort you putting in though.

39. Habitant in Surrey says:

Almost 650 that signed Our on-line petition for Roger’s.

I really would like to make it to 1000, …hopefully for tonight or by tomorrow morning.

If Y’all can roust some of Your family members, friends, and acquaintances where You live or in other parts of Canada and the US (in fact, Africa, Europe, or Asia) whom are Habs Fans and are so far yet clueless on the petition, please give them a heads up.

650 I think is a pretty nice number from a single Fan site in less than 18 hours, don’t You think ?

It means there is true concern and resentment to what has transpired, specifically for Montreal Canadiens Fans as a result of Roger’s control of broadcasting rights beginning this coming season.

Some say Roger’s bought the rights and they can do as they please.

I, and others not so gullible, say hogwash !

The Montreal Canadiens is not just a ‘hockey franchise’ like any other, it is a national insitution important to folks from Whitehorse in the Yukon to Conception Bay Newfoundland.

The Habs represent also the largest most-diverse hockey Fan-base in Canada, coast to coast to coast. To say Roger’s can’t make a financially feasible product of a Habs’ Channel, or have a cooperative partnership with TVA and Bell’s affiliates, TSN & RDS is bunk.

It is something if We do not show Our frustration and rejection of, Roger’s indeed will do as they please.

Do not underestimate the power of bad press, lost business and incensed Habs’ Fans I say.

It’s of cultural importance to Francophones across Canada, not only in Quebec, Eastern Ontario, and the Maritimes. With enough vituperation this has also the potential to become a cultural and political issue.

So, let’s keep pounding away at Roger’s, and not let-up until there is an affordable product for all income-groups of Habs Fans across Canada to watch Their treasured Team play it’s full schedule in a way that is not convoluted and expensive for everyone.

It may not happen over-night, it may be deathly resisted by the cone-heads at Roger’s in Toronto. But, let’s not waver until Roger’s has created a simili of an affordable Habs Channel for all Montreal Canadiens games available across Canada, preferably with options of hearing the game either in French or English.

I’m sure if Roger’s marketed that the right way, that will be a win-win for both Rogers and Our Fans.

____________________________________________________

For all HIO members: this is Scott Moore’s Twitter account link; https://twitter.com/MooreScottmoore

Scott Moore is President of Sportsnet and NHL Hockey for Rogers.

Any of You with a Twitter account, give him Your opinion of the Roger’s television access for Our Montreal Canadiens

While You’re at it, provide him the link to Our petition page so he can sign it :)

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

40. Habitant in Surrey says:

James Blanchard

Quentin van Dyke

Denis St-Amour

Don Hrycuik

Patrice Desaulniers

Sean Hanley

Jonathan LeLievre

Larry Houston

JoAnne Sommers

Ted ?

Thanks, merci Guyz and Dollz

These are most recent 10 of 620 signing Their support

Keep those supports coming ! / Gardez ces supports à venir !

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

41. Habitant in Surrey says:

Now I know how Jerry Lewis used to feel

I feel like this is a telethon :) …Je me sens comme il s’agit d’un téléthon :)

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

heads up I will re-post several posts from the previous thread on Rogers

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

43. Loonie says:

For the people concerned about blackouts living in the areas where they should be worried.

I’m in Quebec and a Videotron subscriber. I get the Habs games on the Sports Package provided by Rogers that are covered by out of market areas. For example. I’ll get the Habs/Hurricanes game on RDS in HD and in addition get the game on my sports package(which pilfers from CentreIce) from the Hurricanes provider which is Fox Sports.

If you are not in the market where the game is being played you have no concerns about the game being blacked out.

Again for example. If somebody wants to watch the game from Los Angeles and the Hurricanes black out the game because it didn’t sell out that fan from Los Angeles will still be able to see it because he or she doesn’t live in the local market.

Edit: The only time you will have a Habs game blacked out will be due to the game being covered nationally.

I read on a previous thread that even with Center Ice there are some blackout night. Is that true? Can we get a CONFIRMED on that?

• UKRAINIANhab says:

*CONFIRMED*

• Loonie says:

You shouldn’t have any games blacked out that are a product of the opposing team’s market.

• Timo says:

LOL, so which one of you two do I believe?

Basically, my questions is… can I get all 82 Habs game with Center Ice in Alberta?

• Loonie says:

Your geographical location should preclude you from having games blacked out that are covered by say the Blues, Kings or Panthers.

The only situation I could see where you have a game blacked out is if it’s a Flames or Oilers game but I don’t think that’s something you would have to worry about. Calgary and Edmonton sell out every game don’t they?

• PK says:

I am stuck with the same question when it comes to Centre Ice.
          I think we can get all Habs games other than those that have national coverage. We should be able to see those on a Rogers owned station.

Plus: Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver don’t play the Habs that often.
          You should be able to catch the local teams through the usual channels even if Centre Ice has a blackout.

Still, will cost a pretty penny … more than just having RDS in the cable package.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
          _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

“Une équipe de hockey sur glace de l’île de Mont-Royal va gagner la Coupe de Lord Stanley à 24 reprises dans le 20e siècle et trois fois au cours du 21e siècle.”

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Timo says:

Well… if I am shelling $160 or whatever for Center Ice I would rather not subscribe to anythnig else, like TVA or TSN or RDS. Somehow I get the feeling that it won’t be that simple .

I’ll have to call Bell tomorrow to see what they know.

• Loonie says:

You will have to do both Timo. Centre Ice doesn’t cover every game.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

Timo…I have had center ice for the past few seasons. All games are on there with the exceptionof the games televised on TSN2 which covered the Habs here in the Atlantic area. So in summary if they are playing they are covered by Center Ice as long as they are not being shown on TSN 2

• johnnylarue says:

It means paying your hard-earned money to listen to Jack Edwards & co. several times a season…

If you can live with that, I can *CONFIRM* that you have a stronger stomach than johnnylarue. (And/or a little more disposable income.)

• Timo says:

Well… Center Ice will probably mean couple fewer massages next year for me.

• johnnylarue says:

If what you’re saying is that you trust Michael Therrien to make up for a couple fewer “happy endings”, then you’re clearly not the Timo we know and love.

• Timo says:

Given that I will have to stomach Therrien for at least another 2 seasons will probably in the end translate to more massages. The place where I go have the Stress Release package… it’s a good package.

• HabinNorth says:

I believe the games not available are the ones broadcast into your area. Ex if Toronto and Montreal are a national broadcast, the game is not available.

• habfan01 says:

I have had Center Ice for the last 3 years.Live in the states, about 70 miles from Montreal. Been able to see all games- although usually with the opposition feed. Only games CenterIce hasn’t shown are the nationally broadcast games on NBCSN.

That’s because Bergevin failed to lock up Bouillon for another 5 years.

46. I spend thousand of dollars a year on hockey, and now because I live in Butt_____Manitoba I don’t get to watch the Habs on RDS for the normal 5.00/mth fee? I’m cancelling sportsnet tomorrow, but am also cancelling RDS.

They are just as much to blame as is Rogers. Rogers owns the rights, not RDS. RDS, if they care about their fans outside of Que, should work a deal with the licensed holders of the NHL (Rogers) and pay a fee to broadcast nationally.

Regardless I’m a Center Ice subscriber, but I loved the RDS option for nights where the play by play was horrible (all TSN, NESN, Sunshine etc) but RDS is to blame here not Rogers. If I owned Rogers and just paid billions for NHL rights, I’m not about to let some outside company broadcast games without some sort of deal from them…..actually, I’d start a French sportsnet channel, but that’s just me and charge 10/mth to subscribers, and even that’s cheap (under a dollar/game).

Great work signing Markov, he has been loyal to his team his entire career, and the Habs did the right thing here (cough cough Koivu). That’s how you treat loyal soldiers.

Rask won the Vezina! Good for him, but the Habs made him look like a peewee in the playoffs, good thing the votes were sent in April. Pft, Rask hasn’t impressed me yet. I’d take Carey over him any day.

Trying to pack up here and head to PEI for the summer.

I don’t think I will be at the Summit, I see the Wild enough already, you’ll have to sing without me this year :lol:

Still bitter over Therrien’s coaching decisions during the Rags series. That was piss poor coaching on all angles. He did great vs Boston but wouldn’t change things up vs the rags, why?

Well done o Turk! I read PK’s tweet saying he was one of the best he ever played for. Can’t wait to see which lackey they bring in to please the masses, should be interesting.

And to finish off the monthly post, because of Briere, burgers sales are up all over Quebec, nice work Danny!

Shane Oliver
    @sholi2000
    A Little fun during the Intermission
    Brandon Predators End Season Video

• PK says:

Good Post!
      Price >>>Rask

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

47. habsfan0 says:

It was nice that Patrice Bergeron and Patrick Roy said a few words in French during tonight’s award show.
    It would have been nicer had they said a few words about this RDS imbroglio as well.

48. SC-1993 says:

Peluso – could he beat Lucy.

49. Loonie says:

Some players on the Habs roster that Bergevin didn’t draft or acquire via trade…..

Price
    Markov
    Subban
    Emelin
    Beaulieu
    Gorges
    Plekanec
    Gionta
    Gallagher
    Desharnais
    Pacioretty
    Eller
    Bourque

I think this may have had something to do with his not winning tonight. And I’m not inclined to think he cares about whether or not he won a dubious award to begin with.

• johnnylarue says:

“And I’m not inclined to think he cares about whether or not he won a dubious award to begin with.”

I tend to agree. While there’s obviously some thought given to choosing the finalists, I think the subsequent voting is strictly popularity contest territory. Which is to say, I highly doubt ‘Marc B. Marc’ will lose any sleep over this.

(That said, he was still dangerously close to winning said popularity contest…)

P.K. being snubbed yet again for the cover of NHL15? Now THAT’s an outrage!

• Habilis says:

Respectfully, I don’t agree with that. If the award is given out on a yearly basis, then it’s based on the most recent season. Anything prior to that is moot, same as any other award.

• Loonie says:

Okay. So what did Marc Bergevin do in the current season that the writers voting on the award can credit him with?

Trading for Vanek, Weaver and Weise. All great moves in my opinion.

They could just as easily lambaste him for bringing back Bouillon, signing Parros and Murray.

Does the good in what he added to the team significantly outweigh the bad? I say yes and I think he’s deserving. But I could make a pretty easy case that he doesn’t have enough of his fingerprints on this team yet to be considered among the league’s elite executives.

Sorry.

• Habilis says:

I understand your point and given the fact that this was only his second year on the job, it’s pretty well impossible to argue against it.

My point is simply that if the NHL is going to give out the award every season, then the voters can’t (or shouldn’t) take the GM’s tenure into account.

IMO, if they do take that sort of thing into account, then the award should only be given out every few years or some such. Or only when someone is “deserving”.

• Phil C says:

Bergevin has his finger prints on many of those contracts. In the cap era, that is very important.

The most impressive feat for me in these last two years is managing to put a winning team on the ice while restocking the propect pool. He had some help with the picks he inherited from the mini-tank of 2012, but usually it’s hard to do both. He managed to plug a lot of holes in the roster through good depth signings and minor trades without giving up any futures.

• Loonie says:

I agree with that Phil. But to that point. How many of the guys noted above were heading for unrestricted free agency before they signed with Bergevin?

I believe the answer is three(could be wrong).

And one was just signed yesterday.

50. durocher says:

TSN’s mock draft has us taking Ivan Barbashev (born in Russia, plays in the Q)

Ivan: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=160332

Mock Draft: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=121032

51. TaxGuy says:

A while back, MB said something to the effect, ” Our younger players need to force their way onto the team like Gally and Chucky did”. I think this is the right approach. Our young defencemen need to arrive at training camp this year prepared to force their way onto the team. If they do, MB will be in a position to make a move to improve the team in another area, but until they do, I think MB is right to sign AM and hold onto his experienced defencemen.

52. myron.selby says:

I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade, but I’m guessing you’d need somewhere in the 50,000 neighbourhood for petition signatures before Rogers would start to notice.

53. habsfan0 says:

It would be interesting to know how many subscribers RDS has west of Ottawa during the hockey season,and how many will not resubscribe to their service if things stand as they do now.

Rogers would be very happy to hear that the number is reducing, as would KP.

• PK says:

I am not sure about the number of subscribers to RDS but it has been a lifeline for Habs fans who are out west.
      It sounds like “out west” means anything west of Ottawa or perhaps the line is being drawn as far west as Belleville?.

I don’t think many of us would have anything to do with RDS if there are no Habs games.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
      _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Garbo says:

I’m guessing 95-99% won’t re-subscribe. Honestly, is there is any other use for RDS? I’ve cancelled already, but I do that every off-season anyway.

54. durocher says:

Anyone from the HIO community going to the draft on Friday?

In addition to re-signing Subban, Eller, and Weaver, MB should figure out how to get rid of Moen, Briere, and Budaj.

55. Samovich says:

Just signed the petition!, sign it now, it directly affects this site also, less viewers less comments, less advertising, less Boone and eventually no live blog or website !. So sign it…

56. habsfan0 says:

Next time I’m back in Montreal, I’m going to have to check out Sartorialto.
    PK absolutely rocked in that peach coloured suit.

57. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

C’mon folks… sign the petition, even of you’re in the Quebec region and are unaffected by the blackouts. This is about choice, and the choice that’s being taken away from your fellow Hab fans all in the name of corporate greed.

And after you sign, don’t forget to let others know about the petition by sharing it on Facebook and Twitter feeds. Thanks!

58. eric says:

We have to bombard Rodgers with not only petitions, but also with e-mails, phones calls etc. Klog up all their communications with protest. The Habs are the most recognized hockey team in the world.

59. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

MB got screwed but what else is new. As for the Hickey article, PK is not the priority right now. The draft and free agency are. Markov had to get signed before the 25th or he was likely gone. MB has to make decisions on who else to keep, dump or bring in. The PK negotiation is going to take time so there is no point focusing 100% on it now. This is not rocket science.

Anyway, Hickey knows what MB is going to do as much as anyone of us does. However, I just can’t see him going into the next season with the same line-up as the objective is to win the Cup. I will be shocked if nothing goes down. As said by many, the same shopping list still exists as last season:
    1) D-man to play 25 min/game with PK
    2) RH physical D-man to play on the 2nd pairing
    3) RH power forward to play with Max-DD
    4) RH two-way center who can win draws and kill penalties
    5) Enforcer that can play more then 5 min/game
    I don’t see anything happening for 1) but some of the others should get addressed (hopefully).

• eric says:

Rome wasn’t built in a day. Patience. This is the most optimistic I,ve been about the direction of the team since many moons ago

• CJ says:

I believe Ryan White fills number 4. RH shot, kills penalties and is the team’s best face off specialist.

Beaulieu or Tinordi COULD become the guy to play 25 minutes a night with PK addressing number 1.

I like Tanner Glass of Anthony Peluso to fill the role of enforcer, number 5.

Pateryn and DLR could fill number 2 and 3 respectively, but not this season, unless one or both takes a major leap forward. Crisp could also turn heads this fall.

Again, patience is the key. A solid draft and continuing to manage assets through this year of transition. 2015-2016 we can make a significant push for the Cup. I’d jettison one of DD or Pleks, if it helped address another deficiency.

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Like Peluso but he is still signed and cheap. Glass would be a great pick-up. Something is going on with White. Not normal he did not get a chance to play late last season. Not sure if he will be back.

60. The_Truth says:

Interesting. Subban not even in the top 10 for Norris voting. Maybe the rest of the league doesn’t regard him as highly as some do here.

MB could make a good case about not making him the highest paid Dman in the league.

I think 7 million is a good salary for Max term.

61. Pucknut says:

Signed the petition. Living in Montreal area, so, not affected by these blackouts; but, I believe that everyone should be able to watch the Canadiens. After all, they are the World’s team.

62. RC-51 says:

I’m very honoured and excited to see such great support in such little time! 500 signatures and counting…

Protest Rogers blacking out HABS GAMES ON RDS west of Quebec

SIGN HERE: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

63. RC-51 says:

To quote Mr Stubbs via Twitter:
    “Just had a chat with RDS VP Dominic Vannelli to clarify RDS #Habs telecasts in Canada during Rogers NHL contract. Please follow along:If you live west of Ottawa, at a geographical line not yet precisely known, your RDS feed will be blacked out during #Habs games…If sufficient fan pressure is brought to bear on NHL and/or Rogers to change this regulation re RDS blackout, that *might* change…But RDS VP Vannelli tells me that as of now, those so geographically placed will get alternate programming or a blackout notice on RDS…This story might or might not evolve in weeks to come. But for now, #Habs fans west of Ottawa have lost games on RDS”

Protest Rogers blacking out HABS GAMES ON RDS west of Quebec

SIGN HERE: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

64. RC-51 says:

for anyone who has NOT read the article:
    Protest Rogers blacking out HABS GAMES ON RDS west of Quebec

SIGN HERE: https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/no-habs-blackout-rds

65. twilighthours says:

Soccer fans, help me:

Is this not a penalty?

• DipsyDoodler says:

No. It’s a free kick to Ivory Coast for Samaras’ dive after incidental contact.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

Agree. Pure dive… Last second desperation from Samaras that worked sadly

• DipsyDoodler says:

It’s sad that FIFA’s idea of technology is shaving cream for free kicks.

—–
          Moving. Forward.

• UKRAINIANhab says:

The amount of Penaltys given out is incredible… FIFA gives the message that if you flop in the box, its a penalty so the players are not at fault…

It is FIFA in general…

The shaving cream is such bushleague as well.

66. PK says:

MB probably did not need the Kiss of Death by winning GM of the year. However, he may be a bit disappointed.

Price should have been one of the Vezina nominees, maybe next year?

Good to see that Chara did not sneak out with the Norris.

Also, good to see that Ference won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy (whatever that is). I hope that his “on ice and in community leadership” no longer includes giving the finger to Fans … glove malfunction etc.

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

• Mavid ® says:

yea i was wondering if his award had some kind of finger in it

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• PK says:

>>>> Les Canadiens sont là
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

– Nostradamus, 1552

67. Mavid ® says:

Team goes to the ECF and wins SFA..something stinks..good thing its only stupid awards..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

• mksness says:

just your thought process stinks:-p votes counted before the season ends i believe.

• scamorza says:

so have been on the road having more sea food that I thought was possible and finally catching up with all the comments but your comment e.g. SFA juxtaposed against the photo well that was priceless!

come to Dorion suits where you get no….”hassoles” _ Yvon Lambert

68. habstrinifan says:

“Subban at top of GM Bergevin’s agenda, by Pat Hickey of The Gazette’

what a fake headline. Nothing in the article delineates any thoughts (new or otherwise) from MB on Subban’s contract.

“Protest Rogers blackout of Habs game…sign at:

69. Chuck Kept Calm and Carey'd On ® says:

Perhaps in future years the NHL will have a Bergevin Shake award.

70. UKRAINIANhab says:

#PlekanecSelke2015

71. The Jackal says:

Total bs.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• CJ says:

I don’t like it either Jackal. As noted on the previous thread, these writer’s have no clue outside their respective markets. Look at the breakdown of votes. It really is embarrassing. Much like the Hall of Fame vote, it should be made public, exposing the voters and making them accountable.

72. CJ says: