Habs beat Senators, now 1-1

Canadiens’ Dustin Boyd (left) and Max Pacioretty celebrate Boyd’s third-period goal Friday night.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

AUDIO: Alex Auld | Robert Mayer 1 and 2Jacques Martin | P.K. Subban | Lars Eller | David Desharnais

The Canadiens are playing .500 preseason hockey!

Montreal had goals from P.K. Subban, Andrei Kostitsyn, Mathieu Darche and Dustin Boyd Friday night to defeat the visiting Ottawa Senators 4-2 at the Bell Centre. Mike Fisher and Ryan Keller replied for the Senators.

Ottawa went up 1-0 on Fisher’s goal on Habs netminder Alex Auld at 4:17 of the first period, but Subban replied at 12:57 to tie it. Kostitsyn, Darche (on the power play) and Keller, scored on Robert Mayer, got on the board in the second, and Boyd’s marker at 11:55 of the third put this one into the books.

The Senators outshot the Canadiens 31-28. Auld made 11 saves on 12 shots; Robert Mayer, who came in midway through the second period, made 18 saves on the 19 he faced.

The Canadiens take a squad up Highway 17 to Kanata on Saturday to pay a return visit to the Senators.

1. SmartDog says:

Good post.

If what you really want is to talk hockey, why spend all your time shouting at morons?  It doesn’t add up.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

2. Caper says:

No thanks. A bag of pucks in return would have satisfied me.

3. HabsfaninMA says:

No, Price is the Fraud-chise. Get it straight!

4. Chuck says:

A bit subjective, of course, but grading Halak’s performances in the playoffs using his goals against and save percentage for each game:

Very Good

Crap

Crap

Excellent

Excellent

Excellent

Crap

Excellent

Very Good

Very Good

Good

Good

Excellent

Crap

A Bit Better Than Crap

Excellent

Good

Crap

Not exactly the mark of consistency, eh? Look, he’s a darn good goaltender who had some excellent highs during the playoffs. Will he play up to that level again? Probably, but if his track record is any indication, it’ll sporadically. Did we keep the right goalie? Only time will tell, but the choice wasn’t as clear cut in favour of Halak as you’d like to think.

5. Bugs says:

For trading Roy? Hated management. Thought it was a terrible, terrible mistake. Like I do now with Halak. Crucially important “players,” both of them. On the “team” of course…

I didn’t boo Price. Again, never mentioned booin. YOU bring it up. Out’ve the blue. Unrelated to topic of having the right to express one’s opinion without beein labled a leafer. That’s what this thread that you crashed was about. Don’t care about Price in the preseason, personally; I wanna see the kids.

Eller and Schultz must combine to bring the same impact Halak did, or we lose the trade. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

Poolio brought the same impact Tendre Guidoune did so we haven’t lost the trade…yet. Poolio’s on the hot-plate this year though, and if he’s not good enough, then to hell with him too.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

6. dallyd31 says:

All ?  I don’t wish we still had Latendresse.

7. ZepFan2 says:

86 and 93, we had a “team” go all the way, but uhh, one “player” stood out…

Yes he did. What happened to him again?

What was your feelings about managment then?

The problem I have, Bugsy. Price is here and Halak is not. When do you and others face the realization of that and move on and start cheering the “players” we have on the ice and not boo them in…prefckingseason?

I’m not blinded in the least. Bitching and booing isn’t going to bring back Halak. Neither is it going to better the team. I also loooove how you are so willing to give Eller and Schultz a chance here. To bad their names aren’t Pouliot, eh.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

8. spos080808 says:

Typical Laff fan comment? Now that is funny. You should contact NBC and right a comedy pilot from them, because you are hysterical…

So the fans booing Roy and mocking him was fine because the fans paid for their money to attend the game?…

Typical IDIOT FAN!

9. homerbowen says:

Typical (Laff fan comment)

10. fbkj says:

hes the guy they traded desjardins to make room for

11. Bugs says:

Sorry for sayin you defended and condoned the guy. You just came outta the blue then? Weren’t on topic like I was? Just suggest I start booin instead of criticizin the decision to trade Halak as it pleases me?

I see.

And now, you’re double-talkin with your “more than one players” bit. Standing on a pedestal repeating buzz-clich├ęs the organization has successfully brainwashed you with just so THEY don’t have account for themselves.

86 and 93, we had a “team” go all the way, but uhh, one “player” stood out.

One.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

12. spos080808 says:

Roy. Enough said. Thanks for playing.

But yah lets boo because we pay money to go to games. Give me a break.

13. notbigbird says:

Are factories in Jersey making Habs sweaters? (kidding)

14. notbigbird says:

When? Probably when he doesn’t get 600 replies to every trolling post. IOW Never.

15. 24moreCups says:

I didn’t get the chance to watch the game but what I’ve seen from the high lights I was impressed.

The team looked good, I’m looking forward to when the season really starts and we get to watch the team as a whole and see what they can do!

16. jkirk says:

Thanks for the post mate – please ignore the trolls who call reasonable people trolls.

17. ZepFan2 says:

No Bugsy, he didn’t win games for us.

He and his teammates won.

It’s an old cliche, but it’s a good one.

You win as a team or you lose as a team.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

18. HabFanSince72 says:

We have Rick Nash? Wow I’m excited about the season now.

19. homerbowen says:

C’mon guys/gals, there are just too many lectures on here about who is or who isn’t a Habs fan. This is a forum to talk about how the habs play, hopefully not a forum restricted to habs adoration only. Save that for the Laffs forum. If they play great I’d like to single out those who did play great and if they stink I will single out the stinkers too. They are professionals and there should be no “taking a night off”. My expectations are very high and those who pay big bucks to see them in person should be able to cheer greatness and boo poor play without be attacked as a good or a bad fan. Go Habs Go.

20. jkirk says:

Bugs – thanks for the reasonable words! This whole Price discourse has been insane here for some time and has attracted a lot of weirdos to this site. Oddly, while they tend to be the most offensive posters – e.g. everyone who doesn’t agree with me is a Leafer – they tend to invoke propriety constantly, which is just another in a long line of Price-related insanities.

Here are a couple more, just for fun:

- Apparently it’s really rude to be critical, on a sports fan website, of the decision to trade Halak, but what about the rudeness of the team’s management, who didn’t even bother to call Halak until after they got rid of him?

- Price has been claiming lately that he learned his lesson – that he needs to earn his time on the ice. Huh? Hasn’t he been sent the opposite message?

Anyways, I suggest those of us who are sane just cheerfully ignore the Price trolls from now on, and try to carry on rational exchanges here.

21. K-hab25 says:

The only thing over the last 4 years Halak was “CONSISTENT” at, was being inconsistent!! I always love the Price haters pleading there case about how much they like the guy, just before they say he’s “not good enough.” Nobody has claimed, “Price is the best in the league.” The only people “I see” saying that they think either one of them are the “best in the league”, are the Halak crazies on this site. You know like yourself. Neither of them are elite level goaltenders, but I forgot were not allowed to say that Halak isn’t great. Well IMO, he’s got a LONG way to go before he reaches that level. If he ever does. Your, “what we’ve seen with our own eyes for 4 years” shtick, is hilariously misinformed. Price has only been in the league 3 years, he’s 60-48-18 with an all-star start and a game 7 SO. Halak, during his first 3 years, was 30-21-2 with a GAA over 2.80 and 0 playoff victories. Thats what I saw with my own eyes. I also see people, like you, trying to say Halak has always played like he did last year, which is complete an utter BS. Hell last year he sucked until mid DEC and he was an average goaltender his first 3 seasons. The guy put together 3 or 4 good months and now he’s a “proven”, “consistent” commodity. They both have a long ways to go, before they’re either of those things, in my eyes.

22. The Cat says:

I guess the next headline will be “Habs ride hot streak into Ottawa.”

23. ZepFan2 says:

Nowhere did I defend “buddy”. Nowhere did I say he was right. Nope, I’m defending Price. I’m sure you know that.

That’s your problem. You say $hit about Price and then act all innocent when someone (me) takes offense to it.

“LOVE his lack of consistency, his lack of mental toughness, and his
    propensity to stare down his teammates in blame for the goals he lets in
    and which he SURELY would’ve saved if it weren’t for them.”

No, you never mentioned booing. But you didn’t have to with that rant above. BOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Playersplural. As in, more than ONE!!!

Love the TEAM, NOT the player (Halak)!!!

Now you’re just being hard-headed.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

24. Traf27 says:

FYI to all the posters still rehashing the Price-Halak-I’m right-you’re wrong debate… We won tonight and neither of the Goaltenders were involved. Let’s talk about the play of Eller or Nash or how we seem to have a new PP system in place which is similiar to the Canadian World Junior system. How about how 5’7″ Desharnais forced a NHL defensman into a rushed turnover resulting in the go ahead goal. A little variety couldn’t hurt… right?

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

25. The Cat says:

Well said.

26. Traf27 says:

Halak was CONSISTENTLY pulled one game out of every series. When we finally met a team that could break down the TEAM system that had gotten us so far where was Halak to save the day. A consistently strong team with a goalie that needs work is much better than a team that consistently needs a goalie to win games for them.

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

27. Traf27 says:

First playoff hero in 17 years umm… Guess you weren’t around whn Jose Theodore was here winning the Vezina and such. Not your fault, not everybody can understand that a playoff hero can be born every season and quickly fade into obscurity. In time my friend you will learn. Until then take care Bugs Bunny

First playoff hero in 17 years umm… Guess you weren’t a habs fan when

The struggles of today will make the victories of tomorrow that much sweeter.

28. Bugs says:

Who said boo’m? Did I say boo’m? I didn’t say boo’m.

Why does thinking management made a terrible, terrible mistake in trading Halak means you hate the Priceberg?

Why does questioning the Priceberg’s ability to perform consistently in the NHL, as we have seen so far with our own eyes instead of relying on a bill of goods that only applies to “the future”, mean you hate him?

I don’t hate him. Heck, I like him more than Jocelyn Thibault. Certainly faster and more instinctive than Thibault. Just…with what I’d seen in their stead…not good enough. That means hate? That means I’m a leafer? I say Halak is a better goalie than Price and I’m a leafer? Huh. Well…uhh, don’t want that, soooo: NO ONE is better than Price, ok? He’s the best in the League far as I’m concerned. Put the mace down.

Oh, and your “team”, mate? Yeah, it’s made up of “players”. If “players” don’t matter, then maybe I can be goalie. Right? I mean, you wouldn’t mind, right? It’s all about “the team” after all. So yeah, I’ll be goalie. Gimme the money; gimme the equipment (how do you put these on? like this? ok, let’s go) I’m the goalie now. What difference does it make? Yay!, free pass for me, it’s “the team”, not “the player”; I don’t gotta account fer nuthin, yaaay!

Please.

Lemme tell you about “the team”: with what we have seen with our own eyes in the last 4 years, we were a better “team” with the “player” Halak playing than with the “player” Price playing. That’s my opinion. With what I have seen with my own eyes in the last 4 years. Sum total. All included. That’s what I think. I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with sayin it.

No one doubts the Priceberg “can” be great. Some are only wary of the wait afore SEEIN that greatness. Some also wonder if he can not only be great, but CONSISTENT. You know, like Halak was.

In my opinion, no one should be categorized as a leafer (the lowest of the low) for having that opinion, expressing it, and holding the Kid to account. You know, like some do for K Senior and Poolio. The Kid who management deems will not only augment our chances of success, but MORE and FURTHER than what Halak delivered (and they may very well be right). Either way: four years? Time enough. I wanna see some accounting.

Just my opinion; not the Truth of All Things, so please spare me the extreme of “hate” you have me alluding to, would you?

Thanks. ‘Preciate it.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

29. Propwash says:

Its what I thought, you’ve got nothing.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

30. K-hab25 says:

You won’t rebut, because you can’t!! Chuck speaks the gospel about your fake messiah, so there’s nothing to rebut.

31. K-hab25 says:

“Halak won when it counted” I guess the ECF’s didn’t count. :-) Man you douchebag trolls are really annoying!! Go back to planet Halak’s nuts!!

32. K-hab25 says:

Pot, meet Kettle!!

33. K-hab25 says:

LMAO!!!!!! You are such a douche!!! His career record is 60-48-18, not 20-68!! Go troll on the Kings site or something hater, or atleast research your BS for once.

34. ZepFan2 says:

Why do all that. Just go out and boo him.

Yeah, just boo him! That’ll make it all better.

That’ll bring back, “the first playoff HERO we’ve had in 17 years”.

Yeah, it’s best just to boo him.

Love the team, not the player, Bugsy!

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

35. LA Loyalist says:

You probably woudn’t let him dog sit for you, either :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

36. rocketsglare says:

Good hard work around the net payed off tonight for this team. Loved the jam of the kids,

especially the play of Boyd, Pacioretty, and White. What can you say about P.K. that has

not been said before. Mayer looked very good in net tonight and should add depth to that

position.

Overall, a very satisfying night for the team.

Go Habs Go

37. LA Loyalist says:

Dude, you make no sense. Then why not just take away Roy’s 10 overtime wins in 93? Aside from those he was kind of just average, right?

You can’t selectively choose your favorite facts and pretend it’s a cogent argument, unless you’re a politician, i guess.

Halak won when it counted. That’s what counts.

Price hasn’t won squat in 2 years. You can cheer for the guy and go down to Notre Dame and light freaking candles, or have a Lego ™ parade in your bathtub, but the fact are the facts.

The PriceBots ™ are really annoying. Come back to planet earth.

38. Bugs says:

Hear that, folks?

Think and act the way Eman tells you or else, you’re a leafer.

That’s how things work here. We’ll be DAMNED afore lettin you speak your mind if it goes against the Eman Law, which is: Stop questioning management’s decision to trade the first playoff HERO we’ve had in 17 years for a bathplug and a pair of suspenders and learn to love the Priceberg, even if his inability to track the puck leads to bananas and killer goals.

LOVE his lack of consistency, his lack of mental toughness, and his propensity to stare down his teammates in blame for the goals he lets in and which he SURELY would’ve saved if it weren’t for them.

Love it all, damn you!

Or else you’re a leafer. That’s how it works. You got that?!

You got it, punks?! LOVE IT!

Thanks Eman.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

39. LA Loyalist says:

I can’t even be bothered to rebut your argument point by point it’s so dumb.

You don’t even get a snotty tagline.

40. sh00n says:

Looks like we have Montreal Canadiens fans on here. . . and then morons like this.

41. sh00n says:

Wrong forums, troll. This is a Habs forum, not St Louis.

Thanks for stopping by though! Don’t come back.

42. SnowManHabs85 says:

I’ve been on the Price bandwagon while even showed some brillance during the playoffs. I was one of the guys saying Price has Halak’s back during interviews. I was 1 of the people saying we made the right trade to trade Halak, but there’s so much spotlight on our Habs goaltending even if your name is Huet who is where now? Beside’s a true Habs fans never let go of their history with the team, we’ve never let go of 93 even when we make it as far the ECF.

All I’m saying, there will always be bullsh*t in La Belle Province even if it’s not coming from there. Besides, it’s only pre season.

So yeah, GO HABS GO!

43. LA Loyalist says:

Why is someone a boo-bird if they can do basic math?

The guy is 20 and 68. That’s fact, not opinion.

All I can tell you is he had better be no worse than 13/14 and 7/6 after 20 games or we are not going to make the playoffs. If you think HIO is ugly now you haven’t lived.

“20 games to a new tagline, maybe less, maybe much less.”

44. MontrealAtheist says:

Looks like we have two good goalies now … and Carey Price.

45. otter649 says:

Signed by Gainey & co as a free agent but then in your world Gainey does/did not know what he was doing etc………

46. LA Loyalist says:

Is putting a punch of cap O’s after an “S” what passes for wit in your circle?

Not that I’m expecting Dorothy Parker at the Algonquin, but geez you’re pathetic.

“20 games to a new tagline”

47. K-hab25 says:

Not probably, he is!!

48. andrewberkshire says:

Not of his doing? So he didn’t make a trade demand through his agent in November?

49. K-hab25 says:

His “holiness” got traded to St. Louis, Price is the Franchise. Get it straight troll!!

50. K-hab25 says:

Why does it have to be both? I don’t get it!! I don’t think Halak has been anything special in his career, but neither has Price. Why is it that if I don’t think as highly of Halak as you do, that it’s because I think Price is a “Saint.” Personally I think they’re both good young goalies, but both can definitely get better. I don’t think either are finished products yet. I mean unlike you, if I had my choice of any goaltender in the league, I wouldn’t choose either of them. Maybe you’re the one with “Saint” issues, the way you talk about Halak. The only thing I’ve ever said regarding Price, is he isn’t as bad as the haters make him out to be, but I’ve never claimed he’s a “Saint” or “saviour.” I call him the “Franchise”, because his projection on his scouting reports was “future franchise goaltender.” Not because I think he’s an elite player. There’s a huge difference between the people who are claiming Price isn’t as bad as the haters say and the delusional whack jobs that think Halak is an elite goaltender and would take him over any other goaltender in the NHL. That’s just F’ing ridiculous!!!

51. RiverviewCanadien says: