Habs beat Senators, now 1-1

Canadiens’ Dustin Boyd (left) and Max Pacioretty celebrate Boyd’s third-period goal Friday night.
Allen McInnis, Gazette

AUDIO: Alex Auld | Robert Mayer 1 and 2Jacques Martin | P.K. Subban | Lars Eller | David Desharnais

The Canadiens are playing .500 preseason hockey!

Montreal had goals from P.K. Subban, Andrei Kostitsyn, Mathieu Darche and Dustin Boyd Friday night to defeat the visiting Ottawa Senators 4-2 at the Bell Centre. Mike Fisher and Ryan Keller replied for the Senators.

Ottawa went up 1-0 on Fisher’s goal on Habs netminder Alex Auld at 4:17 of the first period, but Subban replied at 12:57 to tie it. Kostitsyn, Darche (on the power play) and Keller, scored on Robert Mayer, got on the board in the second, and Boyd’s marker at 11:55 of the third put this one into the books.

The Senators outshot the Canadiens 31-28. Auld made 11 saves on 12 shots; Robert Mayer, who came in midway through the second period, made 18 saves on the 19 he faced.

The Canadiens take a squad up Highway 17 to Kanata on Saturday to pay a return visit to the Senators.

1. MontrealAtheist says:

Looks like we’ve found ourselves the #1 goalie for the season. Alex better watch out and not outplay Price, otherwise he’ll be traded away in no time in order to eliminate competition for his Holiness a.k.a the Chosen One, Carey “the Future” Price.

2. emann_222 says:

OK – Listen Up. If you are a TRUE Montreal Canadiens fan … read on. IF NOT … go to http://www.mapleleafs.com and pretend you were never here.  We won’t miss you!

I had no inhibitions about professing my desire to see Halak succeed last year. Hell – I even spoke out loudly that Carey Price did not deserve the #1 spot on the Goaltending roster (btw “Goaltending” means goalie to all you Price bashing Yokels).

But clearly, Price has been given the number one spot in this town, and it’s time we actually got behind him, rather than on TOP of him.

I’m a Habs FAN. I’m not some smoke blowing, mindless speaking, verbal Diarrhea spewing person who has a hate on regardless of what’s going on with the team.

Auld is our backup right now. Mayer a distant third. We’ll see what happens as the SEASON plays out (not the pre-season).

Can we please let this goaltending bullsh*t go … once and for all!

3. Bugs says:

Whatever reason there was for pullin Halak was BEAUTIFULLY justified. No? Game 5, 6, 7 against Washy? Remember? Game 4, 6, 7 against Pitt? No, didn’t work out? He didn’t “win games for us”?

Ok.

Heck, I say we shoulda pulled’m for the Flyer series…

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

4. Chuck says:

Uh, Carey isn’t a saint. And Jaro has a losing record in the playoffs, too.

5. RiverviewCanadien says:

to some fans, true, not all dude.

6. Chuck says:

If that Habs didn’t make the playoffs, especially since it was on Jaro’s watch, he wouldn’t have been remembered as much more than a quality goalie who was the victim of the salary cap.

7. Bugs says:

You condone and defend buddy who says only leafers wanted Halak instead of Price. That’s what was mentioned.

I never condoned or defended booin. Wasn’t mentioned.

And again, there’s no “team” without “players”. Better the players are; better the team is.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

8. RiverviewCanadien says:

Your opinion, but I keep forgetting Price is already a Saint in some eyes. Apparently a losing record in playoffs means something more to you and is better? Where is your argument?

Hatebreeders is a very good song by the Misfits.

9. RiverviewCanadien says:

Halak made his legend to me when he went undefeated at home, or this year when he was 7-0 when facing 40+ shots….before the playoffs buddy.

10. Propwash says:

Halak is probably even more overrated than Price in this town.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

11. Propwash says:

Mayer’s a minor league guy so far

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

12. Chuck says:

He deserves a BIG deal of credit for the Habs getting as far as they did in the playoffs, but not nearly at the level of sainthood as many have bestowed upon him. The most important thing that he did was win 5 elimination games. That’s what he should be remembered for the most.

But as I said, take away those three games against Washington, and his playoff record was 6-9 with a .906 SV%. Not really a lot to write home about there.

13. habs fan from stonyplain says:

let me guess all the price bashers figure that auld should be the starter and mayer the backup, thats funny. Also is everyone tring to run price out of town?

14. RiverviewCanadien says:

There is no way I will argue with what Price has to deal with. I thought what Gainey did in 08-09 (keeping him in the game) was a wise choice, to build his character. I really think all fans need to see is a POP (Pissed Off Price).

Halak, should he have been tired by the 2nd round?…HABsolutely. Olympics, facing the most explosive-offense in the league. Jaro faced some shots in his career in MTL. He deserves the accolades, he backed it up on the ice and off the ice.

I will never throw Price to the wolves, but he has no immunity, just like every other player.

15. Bugs says:

Théodore playoff hero???

BWAAA-ha-ha-haaaa!

We were 0-40 when Theo started “playing” for the Vézina. No pressure. Once pressure returned for the playoffs? He folded. Wake up.

The victories of tomorrow? Great, another poster who can see the future. I wanna win ALL the time, Tray, not just in “the future”… that hasn’t occurred yet.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

16. Propwash says:

@ Observer,

Im calling you out, how the heck would YOU run the team to make it a
    superstar team in this day and age of the NHL that will win the cup,
    enighten us, enquiring minds would like to know.

Ill give you 5 years of past rosters.

go.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

17. Chuck says:

Look at it this way… if Jaro hadn’t won those three games in the fashion that he did, people wouldn’t have been rioting in cyberspace when he was traded. Those three games made his “legend”.

His save percentage decreased every game of the Pittsburgh series, save for game seven when it counted the most. And good on him for getting the wins that he needed to up to that point. But does his “legend” include his mediocre performance at the beginning of the Washington series or the flat tire performance that he served up against the Flyers? Some folks can have a really selective memory.

Price has it doubly hard. He has to live up to the expectations that preceded him, and those thrust upon him by folks that made a legend out of a 3-game lights-out hot streak.

18. RiverviewCanadien says:

in spite of the informative post from Chuck…

Check out the hockey database website.

19. Propwash says:

I hate the team?

Dude, are you like 10 years old? Do you have one iota of how a hockey team is run in this day and age? Im calling you out, how the F… would YOU run the team to make it a superstar NHL team that will have a near perfect record and win the cup, enighten us, enquiring minds would like to know.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

20. Chuck says:

It’s new… maybe you’ve heard of it. It’s called “Google”.

21. RiverviewCanadien says:

3 games? Right on…yeah he has been terrible for the Habs.

So OUR netminder has lived up to the shootout in Juniors right? We own a cup now? Please…

And you know what Jaroslav can do before he has been gvien the opportunity, but yet Price has had that chance the past 3 years. Has he lived up to your expectations, or is there an excuse? Your posts piss people off, maybe that is your point. Well good on ya by’

Your post is eaxctly what I expect from the boo-birds, you really fit the bill to a “T”.

22. Chuck says:

Calling him up earlier might–or might not have–helped us get into the playoffs with a little more breathing room. No way to tell. But if the lynchpin of your success is a green rookie, then your team is really in trouble.

23. observer says:

what is mayer’s history? he sure looked good.

24. observer says:

but some become gods like plante for awhile, dryden, roy – and since halak left here at the top of his fan support and his own game and not of his doing, he too is near that level here for that short span of time.

25. Chuck says:

Well, I definitely don’t think that he’ll be as good as he was over that three-game stretch against Washington, if that’s what you mean. The Blues have fostered expectations among their fans that Halak is–and thus implying that he will be–a playoff hero for the Blues. For that to happen, he first has to play well enough as the starter for an entire season (something that he’s never done) to get them to the playoffs.

Personally, I think that he can do it. But if the fans in St. Louis think that they’ve got Mr. Consistency between the pipes, they’re in for a bit of a letdown.

26. andrewberkshire says:

Definitely would have been a better situation for Price, but Price wouldn’t be here if Halak was. One was getting traded no matter what.

27. observer says:

true, i cant believe that owner even signed him in the first place.

28. observer says:

say what? can you not read? gauthier was lucky habs barely snuck into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth and might never have won 2 series because gauthier REFUSED TO CALL UP SUBBAN UNTIL GAME 6 of the wash series.

29. Chuck says:

That Cup win for him must’ve felt like when I was growing up and the big kids in the neighborhood allowed me to tag along to sneak a beer behind the high school.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

He can’t be that good of a gambler, tried to bluff CHI this summer and blew the best gig he’s likely to ever have.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

31. RiverviewCanadien says:

Cynical was directed towards your 2nd line…look up the definition.

I respect your posts, but that is just too blatant.

I agree 100% though (read my reply to Andrew just above), it would have been tough for Jaro to back that up…UNREAL goaltending he had in the playoffs eh?

32. Chuck says:

You’re right. Subban would’ve have been ruined forever had he never been called up last season. Sheesh…

33. ZepFan2 says:

but what about the rudeness of the team’s management, who didn’t even bother to call Halak until after they got rid of him?…

They were just honouring Halak’s wishes.

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

34. Xtrahabsfan says:

Go Al’s Go

35. JSP1990 says:

I wished we still had McNabb. But I would rather have Kolb in and do worse then have Vick in. It’s not even about the damn game anymore. That’s ethics. And when ithas to do with ethics, f*ck the game.

36. Chuck says:

I wonder if Niemi went out and bought a lottery ticket after Leighton shat the sheets in overtime.

37. observer says:

the fans here know their hockey at least the ones who think AND they all said bring subban up again after the olympic break for the stretch run BUT gauthier would not and habs snuck into the playoffs by ONE SINGLE POINT. then still even after injuries and down 3 games to 1,  in game 5 at washington gauthier still did not call him up – had washington won that game that halak stood on his head – subban never would have played a playoff game here last year. YES – the fans know more than that 3o year veteran loser gm of this team.

38. Chuck says:

I said that I think that Halak is going to have a decent year. How is that cynical?

Apart from that, I do draw a parallel between the lofty expectations thrust on Price and those thrust upon Halak by the Blues and their fans. The difference is that the pressure isn’t nearly as high in St. Louis.

39. RiverviewCanadien says:

That might have been a better situation for Price though. Halak having to deal with all that pressure to back it up, in the Hockey mecca Montréal, tough on anyone. Price will deal with it though…and I will be happy again.

40. RiverviewCanadien says:

Criminals should NEVER be given a chance to make millions of dollars when poverty exists in society…and doctors are in short demand…screw Vick

41. HFX-HabFan says:

BOOOO Niemi…we let the wrong goalie go, I miss Nabby, ZOMG!!1!!

42. ZepFan2 says:

Because that’s the Montreal way. When we don’t like something, we boo. National anthems, certain players…

Where have you been hiding? It’s all the rage here in Montreal.

That’s right Bugsy. A team consists of, players, plural.

“That means I’m a leafer? I say Halak is a better goalie than Price and
    I’m a leafer? Huh. Well…uhh, don’t want that, soooo: NO ONE is better
    than Price, ok? He’s the best in the League far as I’m concerned. Put
    the mace down.”

Yup, that’s what I posted. On that note…BOOOOOOOOO

Once again, Bugsy…Love the team, not the player!

————————————————————————–

- Steven Tyler

43. observer says:

even worse in that case – remember how they despised vick in philly but now a year later and mcnabb gone they see how bad kolb is YET reid said he is still #1 then a day later mysteriously changes his mind – the fans who still hate vick for abusing and killing those dogs – thyey still want “the chosen one” kolb out of that srtarters job.

44. andrewberkshire says:

Luckily I don’t think St Louis will be as pressure filled as here, so in all likelyhood a really good season will be enough for the Blues to do some damage. If Halak were here this season it would be a lot more difficult of a season for him, similar to Theodore’s after he won the Hart.

45. observer says:

no you hate the team. i want the best players on it. i am not a fan of the nordiques and senators near 30 years of non-success as the gm of this team. you definately hate this team thats why you want a gm with a terrible record and a goalie who for the last 2 years has such a poor record.

46. JSP1990 says:

I would rather have Kolb then the Puppy Killer. Bad example dude. An I’m an Eagles fan.

47. DavidKB says:

I defend your write to express your opinion here, even though it’s getting a little OLD! It’s the fact that you misremember the expression though, that really gets me.

It’s “DOES THIS SOUND FAMILIAR?” , …. and I don’t know what PFT means.

Michael Vick is a great athlete and he deserves the chance to do what he does best. I would still be inclined to leave any room he happened to enter, not that there is any chance of that.

48. RiverviewCanadien says:

Come on Chuck, why not say the same for “The Franchise”, “The Saviour”, “Roy 2nd Coming”, etc

I support Price, but seriously why so cynical? Your first line was civil, but the 2nd…it’s to be desired. I expect that from the Price boo-birds, not knowledgable fans. Tsk Tsk

49. larisalapointe says:

Since Conklin will be the number 1 in stl and Mayer will be the number 1 in mtl. Maybe the teams can make a straight exchange to get Halak back for you. Will you then stop your broken record posts?

50. JIMVINNY says:

So Auld let in 1 goal, and let in zero goals.  SOOOO glad you’re keeping track for us.  Whatever would we do without you….

51. observer says:

its not a conspiracy – but it is similar to here regarding fans reaction. remember kolb was booed bad before he got hurt. just like about a year and a half worth of booing price by the fans here.

52. Chuck says:

Listen to the fans, and your team is in real trouble. In ’93, Racicot would have been starting game 3 of the playoffs if the braying nutsos had gotten their way. Thank God that didn’t happen.

53. Chuck says:

I agree. I see him having a decent season. For his sake I hope that he can show flashes of brilliance to match the “hero” tag that’s preceded him.

54. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

Halak – 3 goals, Bishop – 1 goal, Conklin – shutout. In my opinion, Halak is still the best of the three goalies. Who would you say is best?

Actually, instead of answering that question, could you please make 15 or 16 individual posts above where you repeat the same point over and over? That’ll be way better. Much appreciated.

55. Propwash says:

I cant wait to see him with Markov on the powerplay.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

56. observer says:

hey – it already happened here 2 days ago because gauthier didnt think about it before he traded halak away. ie – the fans think kolb is not the qb that the team thought he would be. and those people are REAL eagles fans – they want the best player on the field.

57. RiverviewCanadien says:

I don’t know how you professionals do it day-in and day-end, but thanks alot!

58. Propwash says:

Ok….Observer, seriously….read my sig.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

59. lavie says:

The Jersey factories are busy printing No. 76.

60. Chuck says:

They’ve also gotten their skates under them, played much better defense, controlled the play and have scored all of their goals after that first period, too. Coincidence?

61. SeriousFan09 says:

2 goals on 3 shots against Stanley Cup Goaltender Antti Niemi by Anaheim in ANA-SJS. Nabokov, Nabokov, Nabokov!!!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

62. andrewberkshire says:

Honestly I think Halak will be fine bordering on very good, but he won’t equal last season.

63. observer says:

dont care how good those draft picks this year wiill be – subban wins calder this year.

64. Chuck says:

I enjoyed watching him in Hamilton; I’m glad that he’s having some success. I hope that he’s ready for the pressure of being the #1 guy in St. Louis by season’s end, though!

;)

65. observer says:

just like since jan. 1, 2009 – when the other goalie played(halak) the results were much better. so far after 2 games price allows 4 goals in half a game – the other THREE goalies do much better auld 1 goal, mayer 1 goal and auld zero goals.

66. Chuck says:

Sure. Whatever, dude.

67. Propwash says:

Whaddya want, the guy hates the team.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

68. Propwash says:

So, How bout that Subban kid?

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

69. JSP1990 says:

Dude is everythin a conspiracy therory with you? God go whine on TSN that the Leafs lost.

70. andrewberkshire says:

Ty Conklin with the shutout, goalie controversy in St. Louis? I doubt it.

71. Dave Stubbs says:

Called trying to process WAY too much information too quickly. Sharp eyes, it’s fixed. Thanks.

Dave Stubbs
    Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Columnist/Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette
    • On Twitter: twitter.com/habsinsideout1

72. observer says:

Mayer was purposely not given one of the 3 stars he deserved. DOES THIS SOUND SIMILAR? PFT – “earlier today some interesting comments from Eagles coach Andy Reid to Peter King of Sports Illustrated.  Reid told King that the guy who made a high-profile quarterback change this week feared starter-turned-backup Kevin Kolb would be “crucified” if he made a mistake after being re-inserted into the lineup following two stellar weeks from backup-and-Wildcat-gimmick-turned-starter Mike Vick.”

73. RiverviewCanadien says:

Okay what?

“and Boyd’s marker at 11:55 of the third on goalie Robert Mayer put this one into the books”

Stubbs, everything ok? I thought Boyd scored on Leclaire.

74. JSP1990 says:

Mr. Boone posted something about the team not liking his attitude.

75. warriorhockey says:

where was alexander avtsin ??????

76. emann_222 says:

What was the Canoe feed? Are they covering tomorrow? I was watching on RIS and it was suspect at best ;)

77. JSP1990 says:

What an effort! I got the canoe.tv feed and thank you to whoever posted it! Loved the work out there especially from AK46!

78. emann_222 says:

Try Videotron – even worse!!!!

79. Exit716 says:

Nothing with Rogers is free.

80. observer says:

Wrong Mayer is Halak of now and Gauthier is looking to immediately remove him from the picture that already is blurred.

81. MontrealAtheist says:

Speaking true words of wisdom here … In an idea world I would expect Bob Gainey to step forward halfway through the season (or to the end), apologize to the fans for betting on the wrong horse and tell everyone that he was wrong by putting that much hope in Carey Price who was never able to show that he is NHL material.

82. observer says:

who needs ha;lak? we have mayer!

83. MontrealAtheist says:

Anyone but Price will do. We’d probably have better chances of winning by leaving the goal empty (without an extra field player).

84. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I agree, having no extra guy out on the hockey field would definitely increase our chances of keeping the hockey ball out of our hockey end zone.

85. sh00n says:

Wrong sport, genius.

86. JSP1990 says:

Someone posted it on the blog. I live in the US so I don’t get anythin if it isn’t on Centre Ice. But from what you guys said, it was ALOT better. And as for coverin the next game I really can’t be sure.

87. lavie says:

Who’s in net?

88. zaq007 says:

Mayer now was Auld before

89. MTLForever says:

subban, kostitsyn, darche! id like if eller sniped one!

90. Habs4ever Fan says:

Price is looking in his comfort zone…….at a bar somewhere

91. zaq007 says:

Couldn’t even wait 5 posts in could you xD

92. MTLForever says:

Not necessary.

93. sh00n says:

And Halak is doing a signing in a mall somewhere in St Louis. No fans showed up though; maybe you should go show him some support? Because we don’t need you over here.

94. HabsoluteFan says:

Any news on who’s playing tomorrow ? From what I can see, the game is on NHL Centre Ice tomorrow and it’s a free preview until oct.26th !

95. savethepuck says:

I m wit Rogers Cable. Free preview for me too?

96. JSP1990 says:

You guys are lucky! I live in VA and all I get is the MLB channels right now.

97. Bugs says:

If Eller doesn’t pot two before the end of the game, I’m booin’m off the ice, I swear to gosh!

Aw, no, I won’t; that’s mean…

But I sure wanna!

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

98. Bugs says:

Booo!

Heh…

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

99. kelly32 says:

Energy galore! What an exciting event. Update should be posted next…

100. Yeats says:

Come on Bugs, there has to be a Yugo somewhere that you can overturn and set ablaze?

101. JSP1990 says:

So TSN won’t blame anything on the refs………unless it goes against the Leafs. As usual.