Multimedia: Emelin felled by Weber shot in practice, should be OK for Lightning

practice

Back at practice, the view from the press gallery.

• AUDIO: Randy Cunneyworth | Lars Eller

Canadiens defenceman Alexei Emelin took an errant Yannick Weber shot in the left cheek (upper-body cheek) near the end of practice in Brossard Friday morning, a puck that dropped the Russian and kept him down on the ice for a good while. Emelin finally was helped off the ice by two athletic therapists.

Weber told me he apologized to Emelin. “I think it looks worse than it is,” Weber said. “That part of the face (the cheek area) swells pretty quickly.”

Coach Randy Cunneyworth suggested that Emelin, who was caught “in the meaty part of the face,” should be OK for Saturday’s game against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Captain Brian Gionta looks ready to return, having skated on a line with Tomas Plekanec and Michael Cammalleri. The decision will be his at game time.

The Lightning had a 2 pm practice scheduled for the Bell Centre downtown, but they’ve cancelled that.

I’m on Twitter with updates throughout the day; you can follow me here.

Video below of Habs’ Gionta, Subban and Gill.

1. Propwash says:

NHLPA refuses the league realignment plan.

2. naweed235 says:

As far as Gio, Gomez, Nokelinen, Darche, Kaberle, Weber, and Campoli go, I would trade them in a heart beat for prospects and draft picks. But people that are suggesting Pleky, Moen, Cammi, or AK should be traded are out of their minds. The draft picks or prospects that we will get for these players will more likely never be as useful to the Habs as these players have been in the last 2 or 3 years and will be in the next 3 or 4 years. Pleky is an all around great hockey player who does it all from Pk to PP … He might be having a slow year but heck so is the whole team. Moen is exactly the type of player that the habs need and everybody cries about here: he is big, tough, can throw them and most importantly CAN PLAY! other than a few players like Neil, Moen type of players are a rarity in today’s NHL. AK 46, is who he is and no matter what people say is a Big right wing with hands of gold that has put up on average 25 goals every season in the NHL, not to mention he is a bargain at that cap hit. Finally, Cammi is probably one of the few natural born Goal scorers the habs have and WE ALL know what he can do in the playoffs.
    What I am saying is that just because the whole team has under performed this year ( And I can honestly say that bad luck had a lot to do with it) you cannot just throw everything that you have in the trash, simply because some armchair GMs want new faces as soon as the team goes in a slump.

• naweed235 says:

btw needless to say that other players not mentioned are untouchables in my book.

• habsfanforever7631 says:

I would just trade Plec if were getting a superstar in retearn.
      The armchair GMs just want to start something or, you could call it gready, or whatever you want.
      I say play out the season, if were behind more then 10-12 points in the trade dedline, then let’s become sellers, but now I say lets play this season out and make the playoffs then you never know.

A player is not playing up to his potenciall for a year, and everyone jumps all over him and wants to trade him, forgetting what he did the years previous. Like Plec and Kaberle. I really hate that.
      Plec is still on pase for more points than last season.
      He plays in every situation and is good at it.
      I bet every team would want someone like Plec, accept the teams that have someone like Plec like the Bruins, Kanucks and some others.
      Lets cool down because PG aint gona do any trades accept to get spare parts.
      And I don’t like the thought of giving up our future for one good player.

Let me know what you guys think.

3. chilli says:

Good thing Emelin loves poutine so his fatty face was able to absorb the blow.

And he already had plates in his head from getting destroyed in a fight back in the KHL.

Tre

4. Ozmodiar says:

Bolland v. Plekanec

I prefer the player who puts up more points, spends more time killing penalties, and doesn’t have the luxury of playing behind Jonathan Toews…but that’s just me.

Sure, Bolland has the ring, but it doesn’t make him better than Pleks. It doesn’t make Eager, Burish or Madden better either. I’m sure Pleks could have handled 3rd line duty on that team without them missing a beat.

5. Psycho29 says:

I was just reading Red Fisher’s article on Dickie Moore’s 81st birthday…I was surprised to see this caption under one of the pictures. Were any of you aware of this? :

“American George Gillett acquired the Canadiens and the then-Molson Centre for $275 million after bankers turned down a purchase bid by former Hab Dickie Moore.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/true+grit+great+Dickie+Moore/5952387/story.html#ixzz1ij8FfoaY

• habfan01 says:

Yea- Dickie said no banks would give him a loan- even with his successful business. Then when he met Gillett for the first time- goerge asked him if he was the one who had all the porta pottys at construction sites around Montreal.

• habstrinifan says:

Lotsa Love for George Gillet in habsworld. For me, I think he came out better than what he put in.

He sure got a sweet deal on the purchase but then again there werent many potential buyers.

I didnt know Dickie Moore had a bidding consortium.

6. otter649 says:

There are x-men on this board as well…….

7. coachjv says:

Call me a geek but it is clear we have two x-men on the team…Pacioretty is Wolverine and Emelin is Colossus. Feel free to use those nicknames but please credit me! Go Habs Go!

8. bleedhabs81 says:

Whew. It is a good thing he has a bit of extra padding (as seen from the photo during training camp)

Unfortunately, Christmas has given me some extra padding too.

9. The Dude says:

Trade Weber to Boston and have him shoot at their faces!

10. --Habs-- says:

Hope Emelin’s OK. He and Georges are the two better D we have right now. The only two that can actually stop something.

11. --Habs-- says:

Shea Weber & Jordan TooToo for Subban, AK, Gomez, Cams… Lets see who else can we throw in there…………………………..This ship is still not sailing!

• likehoy says:

where is nashville going to fit 4 roster players.. and where are we going to find 2 roster players to fill those spots???

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

12. lady byngo says:

Travis Moen fits very well on this team talent-wise. Wonderful attitude and fearless. Great on the forecheck. Why replace him ?? Check his reaction after a Habs goal. Nuff said.

13. kempie says:

I should probably stay out of this but… regardless of whether Plex is a bonafide #1 or #2 centre, if you think he’s a bum or a hero, this team would be so screwed without him, it’s pretty troubling. We haven’t had to see what would happen without him during the past couple of years and the team and certainly JM have been lucky to not have to deal with that. But, if they had to, it would not be pretty. I’d say he’s likely the most irreplaceable guy right now for this team next to Price.

• likehoy says:

I fully agree, but apparently not many else do.

and I bet most of those people who think plekanec is replaceable thinks subban is irreplaceable.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• shiram says:

At least the Habs have some depth on D, they are not as good as Subban, but there are players that can play an NHL shift need be.
        Can’t say the same thing for the depth at center.

• likehoy says:

the depth at centre is interesting cause you have DD, Eller, and Gomez who all could potentially be stars in the league.. then you have DD, Eller, Gomez who have way too many flaws and disappointing games to be stars in the league.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• CanadienBoy says:

Pleck is the closed thing to our past great 2 ways centers that have made the great Habs teams like Gainey ,Carbo and Jarvis without them there are no cup

• habsolutely416 says:

the conversation wasnt/isnt about trading pleks. no doubt he is very valuable to the habs. its was about his value and what he could bring back IF traded.

ill be in the slot ;)

• habsfanforever7631 says:

I agree also, I posted it lower down, Plec scores 20 or more goals every season!
        And he’s one of the best 2 way centers in the nhl.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

100% agree.

My favorite Hab.

• Habs Requiem says:

….if he’s not the next guy, he right behind him in my thinking. I think JM wore him out with his over playing every game. I thought it was a “team” sport but not in his eyes. Plecky was worn out the last 2 yrs. by the time the playoffs hit and had barely anything left in the tank. I still say he is one of our unsung heroes….he’s the “Gorges” of the offense for our team.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own”.

– Adam Savage

14. habsolutely416 says:

plekanec is a fringe player, something the habs have far too many of right now. bolland isnt 1 of those types of players.

ill be in the slot ;)

• likehoy says:

I’d trade plekanec for bolland but I’m not sure we could trick bowman in thinking that it’s a fair deal. Maybe offer kostitsyn for stahlberg too.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• CanadienBoy says:

U out to lunch

• neumann103 says:

Are you seriously suggesting trading Plekanec for Bolland is anywhere near a reasonable move?

The only way a Plekanec trade makes sense is if you are dealing for a superstar from a team with salary cap or roster issues. If Anaheim needs to dump one of their big forwards or Nashville one of their big young D then maybe you consider that

“Et le but!”

• olematelot says:

‘Fringe player”, you gotta be kidding cause if you’re serious you have no clue

15. aj says:

Interesting article about Max Pacioretty on RDS:

I understand his frustration and like Eller, he’s facing a battle of fulfilling a role of a top six forward. However, regardless of the schedule, he shouldn’t be complaining how fatigued he is because he’s paid to do it.

Better suck it up or don’t even play hockey. I’m sure even when he’s traded to another team, the grueling training sessions and maintaining in tip top form is difficult. But that’s part of the game.

• ProHabs says:

After what he went through last year, MaxPac gets a pass on any critisism from me.

• habstrinifan says:

I agree. Concusson and other brain injuries do not have straightforward healing times or well defined effects.

Maybe Pacioretty is experiencing some sort of corollary effect from the concussion, spinal fracture, or even his rehabilitation regimen.

I hope management and Pac himself pay attention to the ‘fatigue’ and maybe have some medical checkop. One of the symptoms of brain tumor is unusual ‘fatigue’.

• likehoy says:

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt cause it’s his first full season in the NHL and he’s still a young player learning to put it all together.

but he shouldn’t be talking about his fatigue.. fans and media will be all over that.. even opposing players will use it as part of their trash talking to get under his skin. He’s made a huge PR mistake here.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• aj says:

the thing that Patches should realize is that RDS are like other media ppl. They will find excuses to publish, whether its trivialized or not, anything that goes inside and outside the rink.

If he really feels that way, the dressing room is NOT the best place for him to vent his frustration. Sometimes the media and us could misinterpret what he says out of context. The best place for him to talk about his situation is in between his coaches, staff, administration and as well with the players.

Hell, we didn’t see Cammy or Pleks complain about their physique or not even getting goals to win games during this season.

I’m sure Max will get pass through this, he should not though be saying this publicly to my opinion.

• ProHabs says:

Yup, but you know MaxPac. He is never afraid of speaking his mind and just tells it like it is.

• habstrinifan says:

Max Pac has always been very candid in interviews Something like what we are seeing from Eller.

All power to him. Let RDS or whoever go fly a kite.

16. RockinRey says:

He is a being paid 5 mil and not worthy of it. And to your point you contend he is a top top defensive center? The guy blows coverage just as much as anyone else and is a soft player , and rarely if ever takes the body.

And he has had stable linemates. Is he asked to get other players going? Perhaps , but should he bitch about that? Its their job to produce . Its their job to find success in the role that the coach puts them in.

Players all over the league are asked to be multidmensional- kill penalites, shut down other teams top guys, pp time.

He is a nice player but lets not get carried away here.

• likehoy says:

how many players around the league are out producing plekanec in the last 3 seasons and play in all 3 situations as much as plekanec?

off the top of my head toews, datsyuk, kesler, richards, and derek roy .. what have you?

If there are so many multi dimensional players in the league (regardless of just centres), how come we only have plekanec who’s successful in that role? how do we acquire another one? Gionta is arguably number 2 on our team.. but aside from that, when you have a player like that, you gotta pay for that player.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

17. Habsbill24 says:

Please remember that when you are comparing salaries, the Habs always have to pay more because of the heavy income tax bill in Montreal say as compared to Florida or Dallas where there is no state income taxes. So a 4.5M salary in Dallas is comparable to a 5M salary in Montreal. Plus when you add on the media baggage in Montreal, that ups the price even more.

18. krob1000 says:

Can we please stop with the “he’s not in his role” crap. He’s being paid a lot of money to be a #2 centreman with nothing but excuses made for his lack of offensive production. I’m dying to know why everyone other than one player on this team gets a free pass.

Tom,

HE is our leading scorer, he constantly is given project lines, he was rarely used on the pp early on and if so second unit which is often not even pp time. He is our best penalty killer and draws all of the tough assignments…defensively. I assume you have huge issues with a stay at home dman making 4 million for 6 years …I have more issues with that one than Pleks. Gorges is completely one dimensions …Pleks can play in any situation with anybody and be one of our best players in that role…whatever they choose it to be on a given day. We decide he is our best offesnive center…he puts up points, we decide he is an ace penalty killer…he is one of the league leaders , we ask him to shutdown top players….he does it, he has been used for years to get wingers going…does he complain? never. He never takes a shift off….ever…he is the hardest working HAb IMO. For a guy “struggling” offensively to be leading the team in points isn’t bad…..when he is our best defensive forward as well…sure makes the Cole deal look bad…sure Cole has nearly as many points but does not do the things Pleks does…so why is he ok at 4.5? I am fine with both COle and PLeks contracts BTW

• likehoy says:

100% agree with you.

People who are complaining about plekanec have no idea what they’re talking about.

If plekanec had stable linemates, maybe he’d even have more points than he does now.

If he wasn’t saddled with the slumping Cammalleri, he might have more points.

but points isn’t his only contribution to the team and he’s still the team’s leading scorer.

Plekanec has never been a flash and bang scorer, but he’s always been consistent… he’s even on pace for more points than he had last year.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

19. Say Ash says:

Weber tried to pull a Tonya Harding, eh?

20. English is not a Crime says:

Well, Subban and Pleks having a tickle fight spurred Lars on to a big game the other night, maybe taking shots at each other will keep the ball rolling?

What’s with young habs prospects and the chipmunk look? First Beau, now Em?

21. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Gotta say, I do not like Cammy and Gionta on the same line. I’d prefer to swap Cammy and Cole. Cammy’s best performances this season have been while with DD. And I like the idea of Cole, Pleks and Gionta together. 3 experienced responsible forwards applicable to any situation.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• ProHabs says:

I do not like having Cammy and Gionta on the same team let alone the same line. Cammy needs to go for a bigger scoring winger.

• Chuck says:

Cunneyworth obviously doesn’t want to mess with the recent chemistry on the other lines.

I don’t mind Cammy, Gio and Pleks; with the emergence of the other lines, you can now afford to play them against other teams’ second and third lines.

• habs03 says:

Cole likes to play RW, so if you want to switch Cammy to DD line it would be Patches-Plek-Gio Cammy-DD-Cole.

• ProHabs says:

Those are 2 VERY small lines to compete against top 4 defencemen around the NHL. And that in a nutshell is the problem with the Habs.

• likehoy says:

this was the lines when we started having a bit of success before Gionta got hurt then patches left with a nice suspension.

we should go back to these lines IMO

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• vegas says:

wow you must really follow the team

so you want to take the 2 guys that play right wing and put them with PLekanek and the 2 guys that ply left wing with DD

why not just put Plekanec, DD and Eller on the same line ??

guys really, put some thought behind it

• J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Apparently I follow them a lot more than you because Cammy shoots left, but prefers to set up on the right-side low slot. Which is exactly where he was a few games ago when he got back on the scoresheet. And Cole is a left-winger, Gionta right. But please, feel free to act the expert if it makes you happy.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

• habstrinifan says:

Cammy and Gionta but not with Pleks. That line would lack two things.

a)Size.
      b)Inventiveness or spontaneous spectacularness.

Insert a player between Gionta and Cammy who would bring one of A OR B.

Gionta with Cammalleri and Plekanec? That will strike fear into the hearts of the opponents.

23. TomNickle says:

On Bolland v. Plekanec.

In addition to my statistical analysis below I’d like to point out that one of those gentlemen has a Stanley Cup Championship under his young belt.

In addition, he was a major contributor.

It seems to me that there is a misconception out there about Plekanec’s ability. He’s not a top 5 defensive forward in the NHL and isn’t among the league’s elite as an offensive centreman.

If you want to bitch about him not being in the proper role, take it up with Gauthier. He paid him like a #1 centreman.

What is the proper role again? Because from where I’ve been watching, Eller’s been assigned to the opposing teams top skilled forwards in almost every game. Plekanec draws #1 unit on the Powerplay.

And if he doesn’t pick up his game. Both Desharnais and Eller will be scoring more points this season.

What will the excuses be then?

• Timo says:

I said it then and I agree with you here… Pleks is overpaid. By about 1.5 mil. He is a decent second line center. Decent penalty killer. Terrible on PP point. He is not an elite player in any zone.

• shiram says:

Pleks would laugh if anyone offered him a 3.5million deal, he is worth what he is paid for sure.
        I posted earlier asking what makes a #1 C and based on the criteria received, the leagues holds only 5-6 of those.
        Pleks is top 20-25 in centers for sure, and none of the other Habs center can replace him.
        The only way I’d be ok for him to be traded is in a package for another Center, but that seems very unlikely.

• likehoy says:

he’s incredible as a penalty killer.. he gets a chance almost every game shorthanded.. although he should probably bury more of them.

although Pleks is not an elite player in any zone, he’s a very good player in all 3 zones and that’s underrated in this league. Any coach would love to have plekanec on the team and you need players like him to win cups.

– If the NHL was the Wizard of Oz, Cammalleri would be the Cowardly Lion.

• habs03 says:

I’m not sure 5M is what is paid for 1st line Centre, Cole got 4.5, Gionta got 5. Look at around the league, Armstrong got 3M to be a 3rd liner. Eric Stall a first line is getting paid 8+, Backstrom 6.7, M Koivu 6.7,Kopitar 6.8.

If Plek is overpiad, so are Bergeron and Ribeiro?

• ProHabs says:

Bolland is on pace for 34 points this year. Plekanec is 4 points shy of that total and we are only half way through the year. So who replaces the offence that we would lose if Pleks is gone.

• Timo says:

I should have added – I disagree with Bolland/Pleks comparison. I’d take Pleks over Bolland.

24. Roger Rabbit says:

I know Weber wants to get into the lineup but come on….

25. habs03 says:

Maybe its me but I would feel very confidant with a health lineup of this going into next season. I think it could take out anyone in our new conference.

Cammy-Plek- X1
    Patches-DD-Cole
    A.Kost-Eller-Gionta
    Moen-X2-White

Markov-Emelin
    X3-Subban
    Kaberle-Gorges

X1: 3-4M forward that can play RW or Centre, Stoll/Ruutu/Brodizak
    X2: .6-1M PK and faceoof specialist
    X3: 3-4 M Stay at home D-men, Gleason-Bryan Allen.

26. montreal ace says:

Gomez will be back, I hope he is 100% healthy and Cunney has him driving to the net like Cole. He has been hurt too long to grade him on this season, and to me when he was with NJ, he drove the net. I really dont think Molson would mind if he slipped a disk, on a drive to the net, any way we are stuck with him for another year, he makes too much too bury with the Dogs

27. habs001 says:

We have 4 forwards making approx 25 million and have 25 goals combined half way thru the season…this is one of the main reasons why we are out of the playoffs…

28. habsolutely416 says:

plekanec in a deal for bolland, scott and…frolik? who goes the other way? thoughts/opinions?

gill would probably help them for the playoffs and campoli has played there before. yes i know they would have to give up more than that….

ill be in the slot ;)

• habsfanforever7631 says:

Who will score your 20 goals? who will be on the first wave on the pk? Us Hab fans under rate Plec big time.

• habsolutely416 says:

bolland can score 20 for sure.. hes scored 19 before in a 2nd 3rd line C role. hes been used as more of a shut down guy because of the depth chicago has at C. id say hes similar to pleks and more gritty.

and didnt bolland shut down henrik sedin in the playoffs?
        lets be real too, pleks isnt a #1 C, hes a good #2 C and would be an excellent #3 C.

ill be in the slot ;)

• habs03 says:

Not sure if serious, Bolland, a 3rd line plaer, Frolik, an overpaid 3rd liner?

Ya they will have to give up a lot more than that. Maybe Sharp for Plek+, and seeing how Sharp is better on the wing, I still won’t like it.

• TomNickle says:

My goodness. Please consider their talent when you pick apart Frolik and Bolland. Look at who plays ahead of them.

Frolik is an underachiever considering his talent, but Bolland is a beast.

• habs03 says:

Oh I’d love Bollond, but not at the expense of Plek. Plek-Bollond-Eller/DD down the middle would be just fine with me, but Pleck-DD-Eller>Bollond-DD-Eller,

• TomNickle says:

Bolland has scored in 51% of his regular season games and 79% of his playoff games in a third line checking role his entire NHL career drawing the oppositions best in road games from teams avoiding Toews.

Plekanec has scored in 66% of his regular season games and 61% of his playoff games as a 1st or 2nd line player. Drawing the opposing teams’ weaker checkers on the road from teams trying to avoid him being matched up on elite players.

When you look at both players objectively. There is definitely a case to be made that Bolland would be Plekanec’s equal if not superior in the same role. Both offensively and defensively.

• habsolutely416 says:

i agree tom, i think bolland would be an upgrade on pleks..not a HUGE upgrade, but better.

ill be in the slot ;)

• habs03 says:

@TomNickle, you make some good points, but the Hawks have a spot open on their 2nd like spot, and Bollond has failed to step up offensvily. Hawks have tried both Kane and Sharp at centre to try to fill that role, why hasn’t Bollond been able to step up if he has all the tools to do so?

• TomNickle says:

Sharp and Kane are interchangeable at the #2 centre spot. I haven’t seen them try Bolland as a second line centreman yet. I know that when they’ve done it in the playoffs it’s worked remarkably.

I believe Stan Bowman and Dale Tallon before him have both said that leaving Bolland on the third line gives them depth that they don’t feel can be matched in the NHL.

But don’t quote me on it.

• J_P says:

Bolland is good, but i wouldnt trade plekanec for him. Id much rather have pleks than bolland. Pleks is also not being played in his ideal role. If we had like a Getzlaf to draw the other teams top defense pairing every night, pleks would probably be much better offensively.

Bolland also has the luxury of never drawing the oppositions top pairing. He sneaks in under the radar on chicagos third line.

• TomNickle says:

• J_P says:

Really? Why the hate towards pleks?

I mean, I was down to include pleks in a package for GETZLAF, but the only way i would trade him is if a bonafide superstar is coming back the other way. Maybe hes not playing like it right now, but he’s actually our best player.

• habsolutely416 says:

not hating on pleks at all, i like him. just thinking of ways to strengthen the team. theyd have to give something up to do that.

ill be in the slot ;)

• LA Loyalist says:

Frolik? another mister softie? Campoli, if they know and like him might work, and Gill.

But we don’t want another Mr. Softie.

29. deggy24 says:

This shooting a puck at a guy’s face, is the tactic to use on Chara. Sadly, I would like it very much.
    Hope Emelin is okay, really a good fit for our team right now; not a bad player.
    Comment on last game: great to see guy’s just shooting the puck at the net rather than waiting for the perfect one-timer or prototypical shot. Release and shoot in a way that is less familiar to the goalie (backhand, lobber through traffic, when he doesn’t expect it, top shelf from ‘impossible’ angle). These goalies are good when they know its coming, not so good elsewise; like a change up in baseball.
    And we have guys creating traffic in front. Keep it going.
    Habs Win!

30. montreal ace says:

I was bored last night and went to cap geek, wow what a picture for the Habs. Our team blows money all over the place, hell Mark Mitera 1.2 million. I am tired of this team developing dmen only to lose them, after putting some good money into them. The rfa status comes too early for them, so I think free agent dmen are the way to go bargain wise. Darche, Weber are cheap, and Weber has been misused by the Habs, he is not a bad player. Gill and Campoli are two guys I would be shopping, so I could pickup a forward that somebody tries to pass through waivers. I also think this kid Blumden has some talent and is a bargain, he hits and will fight, needs to improve in the fighting department, but he can. This team needs to sign players who have talent, before they hit rfa status. In trades I like draft picks, and not ones who go the college route, takes too long, and Canadian Juniors are better, especially the guys from BC. The guy on the Ducks I would try to get is Peter Holland, and I thought we should have went after Turris.

• habrez says:

Mark Mitera’s two-way contract is from when he was drafted by Anaheim. Because he was a first rounder he gets a higher salary if he were to play on the big club (which he won’t) than someone drafted in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th…
      Mitera is making 62,500 to play in the AHL in the last year of his contract and if the Habs feel he has developed adequately he will sign a two way contract of 650,00 and 65,000 or similar.

31. and i thought Weber couldn’t hurt us now that hes out of the line up..

32. habsfanforever7631 says:

Listening to RC’s interview, I realise that there is a big differince between his and Jm’s.
    You actually don’t wanna fall asleep listening to RC!
    RC is a verry smart guy.
    If he doesn’t come back with the Habs next year, he’s probably gona do something good with another team.

Go Habs Go

• montreal ace says:

I dont see why he could not stay with the team, even under a new head coach. I would like to see a coach who stays with the Bulldogs, and whose main priority is teaching, and knows talent on other teams when facing them. Good coaches coach anywhere, if thats what they enjoy. Guy Boucher should have had a 3 year contract, with the right for 2 more if we wanted. Good coaches should cost a draft choice if they are employed.

33. Trisomy 21 says:

If you thought we’re bad, here’s a good one from the TSN comments:
    Hiller and Ryan for Gustavson, Grabovski, Komisarek, and a 2nd round pick

Oh yeah? Desharnais for Ovechkin!! okay and a 3rd round pick

34. Hobie Hansen says:

Darche is worthless, I hope they dump is useless ass soon.

Sorry Timo made that look like so much fun!

Weber is worthless. Hope they dump his useless ass soon.

36. coutNY says:

1 down 1 more to go Weber. Fell enough of them and you’ll be in the top pairing… apologize later ;)

37. Lafrich says:

Talk about Murphy’s law. For some reason it is never the right guy going down…

Okay, so if Emelin is good for tomorrow the headline should be changed. When someone is truly “felled” where I grow up, they don’t get up for a long long time and don’t play hockey the next night.

39. durocher says:

Weber, this is not the way to get back into the lineup — you need to play better, not knock out the competition

40. Jordio-oh says:

So I saw Colton Orr in the grocery store beneath my building last night. He was perusing the produce aisle and texting on his phone.

I wasn’t sure if it was him at first, because of his long hair, but further examination confirmed it.

I should have made fun of his recent demotion, but he’s a big man. Professional athletes stand out in public, if you’re paying attention.

41. krob1000 says:

And people wondered why Emelin carried a few extra pounds…..supersizing just saved his cheekbone…..this guy already had a broken face bone before. Honeybadger don’t care…he just gets back up and starts eating another burger waiting for the next forward to kill.

42. G-Man says:

Just to chime in on the enforcer/goon debate.
    Used to be, in the NHL at least, that players would take care of their problems on-ice with someone else themselves. Sure, the Habs had Ferguson and Nilan, but before then you had to fight for your job and “man up.”
    The “rats” are in the game precisely because GMs like Burke howl that too many penalties screw up the games. If the refs called everything (like they should), the “rats” would disappear, as they would only cause goals against and nothing positive for their team.

• HabFanSince72 says:

There were more rats in hockey before the instigator rule. Guys like Ken Linseman (whose nickname was the rat), Dale Hunter, Billy Smith, etc … were never deterred by enforcers.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Ok Dale Hunter and even Ken Linseman were just crazy and also played on super tough teams. Hunter could easily take care of himself.

Billy Smith was a goaltender.

Some people you will never deter because they aren’t afraid of getting hurt.

• mdp2011 says:

“But 80% of these pests would quiet down real quick if they had to answer to an enforcer.” Well that theory is flawed because of someone is trully a rat, he will not answer to an enforcer, he will never fight an enforcer, i.e. Sean Avery. Also, if enforcers only fight other enforcers, how the hell is that supposed to deter rats and cheap shot artists?

• Hobie Hansen says:

Guys I’m just going by what the professionals are saying…

You turn on the television or read the paper and each and every day there are very well respected, present and past players, who say that removing the instigator will clean up the game.

I tend to take their word over anyone’s on here.

• HabFanSince72 says:

But there was MORE dirty play, not less, in the 70s and 80s.

Guy Lafleur’s career was essentially ended by one of those rats.

• Lafrich says:

Of whom do you speak?

• Hobie Hansen says:

There were more fights in the 70s and 80’s…

Today there are way more head shots, knee jobs…

And the way to get rid of them, get rid of the instigator and the running around will stop.

• G-Man says:

More dirty play happened because the game got broken down into different categories of players. Allowing for a larger roster, ( the 60s had 3 lines and the 50s 2 lines) it made it possible for crappier players to make it. Unidimensional players started making NHL teams.
            Now, everybody is slotted as a top six, bottom six, 1st pairing, 3rd pairing kind of player. The NHL used to have more players that could score and take care of any players who wanted to take them down. These days, too many players are too soft.
            This won’t change anytime soon. There are too many games and too much traveling.

• DorvalTony says:

Linseman ran and ran and ran…

——————————–
        “Okay, everybody take a Valium.”

• tjmac says:

OK, what I don’t understand about Burke’s logic, is that I don’t recall “enforcers” existing until about 15 years ago. While I know there has always been tough guys, the majority of them, even into the 1980’s could play (think Nilan, Semenko, Probert, Odjick, McSorely….geez, even Kordic had 9 goals one year). If it’s rats that are ending the career of guys like Orr, why keep that other guy just like Orr (Jay Rosehill) on your team?
      Really what Brian Burke should have said was “I made a mistake signing a terrible hockey player to 1 million per year”. Nothing against Orr, but he’s not a good hockey player and that’s why there’s no room for him on the Leafs.

43. habsfanforever7631 says:

That’s good news, got a little worried there!

44. mdp2011 says:

LOL, “in the fleshy part of the face,”, sounds like the Sopranos episode, “Fleshy part of the thigh” when Bobby Bacala shoots a wanna be rapper in the butt so he could become famous.

45. aj says:

I was reading Dave Stubbs Twitter blog, it was Weber who shot that puck and accidentally hit Emelin in the jaw.

Weber did apologized according to Stubbs: “I think it looks worse than it is, the cheek swells pretty quickly.”

It seems RC’s psychological preaching/talk to the habs is working to the point of they’re fighting and injuring themselves, LOL!!!

Say, who’s up for Weber vs Emelin?

46. christophor says:

Weber’s trying to get back in the lineup any way he can.

Shout Out-!
    To Hab Fan and others on two pages back, who asked me the question about how PK got along with team mates coaching staff and fans when he played here for the Belleville Bulls for 5 years.

PK was a hit here right of the hop. As a 16 year old he was first noticed here for his fantastic speed as a rookie. He took a lot of hard knocks his first and second year, but he started to learn how to hit back and defend himself. He was not a fighter per say, but if you took liberties with him or his team mates, you generally ended up feeling pain sometime during the game. He was a hit with everyone who came into contact with him in the community. His infectious smile and his pure enjoyment as how he played the game made him a natural leader of men. He always spoke his mind and backed it up with action and respect. He marches to the beat of his own drum and a high standard of character.

He matured early in life but still has a young mans exuberance for life.

48. habsnyc says:

I do not imagine that any player with a no trade clause would want to be traded from a non contender to a non contender with a lame duck GM, interim coach and a language issue.

I do not see how this team can afford to take more salary when it already has the least flexibility of any NHL team for 2012. I understand even less why a team would take our fading verterans for their young slumping stars.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• LA Loyalist says:

Out damn spot! You with your reality check!

If Glenn Sather can dump Gomez and a big contract AND get McDonaugh back from a savvy vet like Bob Gainey, SURELY we can do the same… no…? Mais non? What? Ducks wouldn’t send us Getzlaf for Gomez, Gionta and Disneyland tickets! (Man, are THEY expensive!)

Fools.

• habsnyc says:

I think any trade for Nash or a Duck would need to include either Price (straight up, and not going to happen) or a two young roster players such as PK, Max or LL plus picks. It would be the opposite of rebuilding.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I’m pretty sure that Anaheim is very happy with Hiller, who is signed for 2 more years @ $4.5m/yr. And the GM stated he wanted “core players” not prospects or picks.

But you’re right, any trade with Columbus though would likely have to include Price, as their goaltending is abysmal.

• LA Loyalist says:

I like Hiller a lot, and he’s played pretty well behind a deficient D (like Price) BUT given his weird illness last year (the Vertigo) I was surprised they didn’t keep Emery, who played great for them. They seem to like Ellis, who I do not think is as good as Emery.

Anyway, PK, Price and MaxPax should not be going anywhere. If you add Gorges and Cole and Plex and Emelin (what’s left of him) to that group, and we want to keep LeBlanc and other kids… you come to the conclusion that the guys who are left are… not so valuable, even to us.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Like I said earlier, I actually think a player like Plekanec would be very valuable to Anaheim…especially if they were thinking of moving Getlzaf. While I haven’t watched too many Ducks games, I get the impression that they are struggling defensively – and a #1 Centre who can consistently put up 60-70 pts and is great on the PK and generally an excellent 2-way forward might be exactly the kind of player they’re in need of.

Something like Plekanec + Pacioretty for Getlzaf + ? might actually not be completely insane.

cheers!

49. krob1000 says:

Yakupov out indefinitely with knee injury…… depending on the extent a knee injury could be pretty devastating to a speedster and sniper…..this may cause his draft position to be impacted http://www.tsn.ca/

50. HabFanSince72 says:

In my never ending search for things that make the commentariat feel better about the Habs, I bring you the following story, which makes the Scott Gomez contract easier to swallow than a slug of cold beer on a hot day:

“The NY Mets will pay Bobby Bonilla $1.2 million annually for the next 25 years despite him not having played for them since 1999.

“[In 1999] The club, struggling to make payroll and looking to sell part of the franchise to stay above water, deferred nearly $6 million in Bonilla’s final year with the team and added an 8 percent interest rate that will start to be paid out on July 1 as part of a deal that helped the Mets release Bonilla, the New York Post reports. That turned Bonilla’s original $5.9 million salary to nearly $30 million.”

The funniest part: the Mets figured they would save money by investing the $6M salary for 12 years, thus outearning its deferred value. They invested the money with Bernie Madoff.

51. Furk says:

If we’re making trades, then this is what I would like to see:

Trade Cammy to Florida, who is a lock for the playoffs for their first round pick. Then you package our first round pick with Florida’s, Weber and DD to trade for Getzlaf.

This is what our lines would look like:

Patches – Getzlaf – Cole
    A.Kost – Eller – Gio
    Leblanc – Plecks – Moen
    White – Nokia – Blunden.

I would also trade Gionta for picks, so we can bring up Gallagher next year. I’m sure some other team lookinf for scoring punch going into the playoffs would want Gio.

• derfab says:

Interesting, though i doubt DD and Weber would do it. We would have to give them a real top six forward or more solid D. prospect

• The Jackal says:

Day drinking is fun.

• RGM says:

NHL12 is a fun game eh?

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• Furk says:

I thought this was a site where people can post about the Habs. If you don’t agree with my suggested trade, just share your opinion. No need to be a jack*** about it.

I’m just throwing it out there to get people’s opinion. That’s the whole point of HockeyInsideOut, sharing our opinions.

• derfab says:

Yup. I don’t think they noticed the 2 first rounders in your scenario. But we would have to give up an established, solid player or keeper (yikes!) to get a top forward like Nash. If someone could give or get us a very good goaler in a three way deal (Luongo?) I’d consider letting Price go. He is a moody kid who is coveted around the league and may want out sooner than people think. Getting someone of top calibre is going to take something bigger than futures. Anyway, Furk, you can always tell ‘em to furk off.

• Furk says:

I agree. But it’s a good trade for Anaheim because they shed some salary and get two first rounders, with a powerplay specialist in Weber. DD is just icing on the cake. Anaheim has been looking for someone with a point shot on D. I know a lot of people love DD, but the same people complain about the Habs size down the middle. I think we’ve seen over the years undersized centres have not worked for us, they often get outmuscled in key faceoff situations.

As for a goalie, I think the Ducks are content with Hiller. I would not let go of Price, and pick up a guy Luongo who is if not close to the end of his prime. I think a guy like Price likes Montreal, and may feed off the attention since he is one of the fan favourites now.

• Bill J says:

Touchy aren’t ya ? Getz is worth more then 2 1st rounders and two spare parts.

The NHL12 reference says it all, your trade would not happen in the real world. The Habs win it, Anaheim loses…

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• Furk says:

Well thanks for your input. That’s all I need to hear, that the trade doesn’t make sense. No need to make reference to NHL 12.

52. TorontoHabsFan says:

A couple of comments for Dear Mr. Burke:

1) Ben Eager was on the ice when Carcillo threw Gilbert into the boards…didn’t stop him from doing it did it?

2) It wasn’t enforcers or self-policing that made Matt “The Rat” Cooke smarten up – it was the threat of being out of a job that did.

3) The Leafs are your team. If you want to keep enforcers on the Leafs, all you have to do is keep enforcers on your team! The decision to demote Orr was entirely yours.

4) Please, for the love of all that is good and holy, stop it with the “I’m-so-focused-on-my-job-that-I-can’t-even-be-bothered-to-tie-my-tie” look. It’s so contrived and transparent that it would make the 15 yr olds I teach blush!

• shiram says:

I have not seen any evidence that enforcers do about protect their team-mates, they are completely reactionnary.
      They don’t prevent any actual damage.

• Trisomy 21 says:

what sort of evidence are you looking for? a “rat” to be pissing themselves on the ice? You won’t exactly find evidence for that. I’m not asking for an enforcer but it’s not exactly easy to see their effect. Although some food for thought, even with Savard gone all last year, Boston was near the bottom of the list of teams with man games lost due to injury.

• shiram says:

They are reactionnary, they don’t anything to prevent damage, but they can beat up on someone after the damage is done.
          Seems useless to me.

• Trisomy 21 says:

You just rephrased your original comment. My point is you won’t be able to notice the deterence. You can’t tell that someone would be thinking maybe I shouldn’t hit this guy from behind because this goon is on the ice”. Because you can’t read their thoughts. It’s not like when that thought occurs the player will be flashing like a strobe light. So how do you know it doesn’t work?

I mean of course they have to act in reactionary manner, you gotta put people in line every now and then too.

• Bripro says:

The only reason the Bs were near the bottom (I’d have to confirm that)
          is because Daddy Campbell let it show throughout the league that if you touch a Bs player, you will pay dearly.
          But the opposite didn’t hold true for them.
          I still don’t see any evidence that it will change under Shanahan.

• GrimJim says:

The man games lost to injury argument doesn’t hold up when you look closely at it. The team with the most MGL is the Islanders who had almost identical number of major penalties last season as Boston (NYI 71, Bos 73). So why, by one measure of toughness, are two similarly tough teams, polar opposites in games lost (NYI 512, B 92)? You get a similar disfunction comparing Pittsburgh (303 MGL) vs Boston despite almost identical major penalties (74 vs 73). You get the same problem when comparing hits. Pittsburgh 3rd in league with 2280 hits last year, NYI 1808 hits, Boston 1736 hits. There is no correlation IMO.

• Kooch7800 says:

I agree with you BUT what if the instigator penalty wasn’t around. Would it change it? I am not sure either way but there is a serious lack of respect in the NHL.

• RGM says:

Oh stop making sense. If you keep that up, even the media in the city you live may just take notice that their beloved blowhard is a complete hypocrite.

———————–
      GO HABS GO! 2011-12 is probably not our year!
      Chat with me on Twitter @TheRealRGM81

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Oh, they’ve figured it out. Check out Jeff Blair’s column in yesterday’s Globe & Mail I don’t listen to sports radio, but I’ve been told he’s a regular target of criticism.

I’m pretty sure that yesterday’s “performance” was solely for the purpose of deflecting attention away from his free-falling (again) team.

• Stev.R says:

I didn’t understand his press conference yesterday. They asked him why he waived Orr and he said it was because the rats were taking over and their needed to be more enforcers in the league. I thought he was calling Orr a rat, but then he praised Orr. If he thinks there should be enforcers in the league, then why did he just waive one?

• LA Loyalist says:

You forgot to thank Burkie for Kabs :-)

Bobcat Bob
      HabsfaninToronto: Burke is a true blowhard. He is almost a parody of himself. LOL

53. ProHabs says:

According to Stubb’s twitter, it doesn’t sound good at all regarding Yemelin. Puck.

• Kooch7800 says:

That does suck but at least Emelin in the line up is not going to make or break the habs season. I like his physical play and hope he sticks with the habs but it isn’t a game breaker

• shiram says:

To be fair there has not been an update in nearly 40 minutes…

• Propwash says:

Dave Stubbs
        #Habs Emelin’s left jaw looked like it was his right jaw as he left the ice

That sounds pretty bad imho. Busted jaw means most likely he’s out for the remainder of the season.

_____________________________
        Don’t let the wultures getcha.

• Stev.R says:

Broken jaw would be wired shut for usually about 6-8 weeks. That’s not the rest of the season. He could technically play sooner with a mask while his jaw is wired. Though I don’t know how ideal that is.

• shiram says:

here then : #Habs Cunneyworth suggests Emelin will be OK for Saturday game, Russian caught “in fleshy part of the face”

• LA Loyalist says:

Not very. Plus you have to eat through a straw. Hard to keep weight on.

Too bad he didn’t break Rosie O’Donnel’s jaw. Would have had the added benefit of shutting her up.

• Mats Naslund says:

He already had jaw problems too after a fight in the KHL i think.

54. derfab says:

Rick Nash is one of the best 10 players in the league. If he is available, I would be willing to part with both Plekanec and Pacioretty plus a top pick or bottom d-man (not Emelin). As much as I like these two Habs, the difference between Nash and Pleks, who give you about the same number of quality minutes, is that Nash puts fear into the opposition on every shift. He would give space to a guy like Cammaleri that Pleks just can’t.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Nash makes $7 million plus for the next 6 years….

Those long contracts can be a real gamble. He could blow his knee out a year after we get him.

Long contracts are bad!

• LA Loyalist says:

Yes long contracts are bad, but in an injury situation you can at least spend the same amount on someone else (i.e. Wiz in for Markov last year).

A case like Gomez is the worst, where the guy sucks, but is NOT injured.

If I’m wrong please post, but I think that’s how the cap works in injury situations.

• Bill J says:

Gomez IS injured… I know when he plays he may as well be invisible, and don’t blame you for missing it. But Gomez hasn’t played in weeks now.

If you want to add an avatar here, read this and follow the steps

• newbrunswick troy says:

the habs cant go after Nash, he is everything you say he is..but if the habs want a stanley cup contender they must put together a big nucleous of young top tallent and then once the are mature..i.e 24-27 years old surrond them with the rick nashes of the league then!!
      the habs are grabbing players just a little out of thier prime or letting them go before thier prime ! that coupled with thier flawed philisophy of small,soft but skilled players has unfortunitly left all of us guessing ?

• derfab says:

One player of his calibre on a serious team would attract many a decent free agent, not to mention boost morale through the roof on the present squad. The habs have a good nucleus of kids coming along. Young and marginal players play to potential when they have some big guns to rely on. Price, Cole and maybe Markov are our only elite players (Subban is on his way up Gionta fading)). Gomez was a gamble that didn’t work and needs to be fixed with a sure thing. Nash is my top pick and I would consider giving up anyone but Price to land him.

• LA Loyalist says:

I get the small and soft – haven’t really noticed the skill…

• 24 Cups says:

Rick Nash might be one of the top ten talents in the league, but he certainly isn’t one of the top ten players. Forget the internaltional stuff and watch him play in Columbus. He doesn’t always show up every night and tends to be a streaky scorer. Spare me the standard line over the years about not having anyone to play with, shouldn’t he also help other players elevate their games?

Pleks, MaxPac and a lottery pick for Nash is a no go for me.

• avatar_58 says:

Not to be a dick, but how has Nash helped the team he’s currently on? If the habs need to gut their team to get him, doesn’t that mean they essentially become the very team that’s struggling WITH him? Is our coach better than theirs? The D core? The wingers?

The answer is no, otherwise the habs wouldn’t be in their current downslide. Can Nash kill penalties like Plek? Can nash score enough to cover BOTH pleks and pacioretty, seeing as they’d be gone?

People are so quick to grab stars from dying teams they forget that a change of scenery doesn’t automatically mean they’ll turn into Crosby. It’s possible Nash gets here, scores 50 but the team doesn’t make the playoffs because no one else is scoring. So what’s the point?

Same goes for Getzlaf, Perry and Ryan. Give up too much you are in the exact same boat as the team that is dumping them.

• Sal says:

Stay the course, playoffs are NOT happening, sell, sell, sell…get picks, begin the rebuild around our already solid young core. Don’t want any more giant, long term contracts for guys past prime.

Sal from the Hammer

• LA Loyalist says:

Also look at Boston as a model. They have balanced scoring and are thus harder to defend. You can stop or at least slow down and frustrate a great talent like Kovalchuk or Ovechkin in the playoffs if you have good team defense and the star has no one to dish to. You need multiple threats in the playoffs. Nash with the right guys around him is one thing, without them, not so much.

55. punkster says:

Ya, another concussion rant.

Beelzabub Burkie may well have a point though it’s more than likely he’s crying crocodile tears.

Who can forget his November 2008 introduction to the media with this quote:
    “We require, as a team, proper levels of pugnacity, testosterone, truculence and belligerence. That’s how our teams play,” said Burke….”I make no apologies for that. Our teams play a North American game. We’re throwbacks. It’s black-and-blue hockey. It’s going to be more physical hockey here than people are used to.”

Thanks to Burkie and his ilk truculence seems to have helped lead the league down a rat hole they are either unable or unwilling to abandon.

Hire a few thugs, run a few guys, call it a hockey play then met out weenie suspensions and meagre fines.

Bush league GMs for a bush league.

The NHL slogan should be “We’ve upped our concussion stats, so up yours”.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

JT was just mentioning that it might be time to give Eller (and AK46) some more PP duty. Eller averages just 32 seconds a game on the PP . It might also help keep Pleks from getting worn out.

For those who missed it, here’s the 1st star “parade” around the ice.

• Chuck says:

Good on Larry. (I know that he hates the nickname, but I hope that a Lar-ry! chant is picked up by the Bell Centre crowd.)

Most guys who make the NHL will never have that kind of a night, so enjoy it and drink it in for all it’s worth.

You know that the rest of the team wouldn’t have let him off the ice unless he hammed it up a little.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I missed it, thanks for the post.

If there was a player on this team that needed a night like that, it sure was Lars. What a level-headed kid.

Going to be a great player for the Habs for a long time I hope (along with Plekanec :P)

• krob1000 says:

he is 10th on the team in terms of pp icetime/game for the forwards….

• 24 Cups says:

Rob – JT mentioned the 32 seconds in her column this morning so I just passed it along.

Everyone is going nuts because Eller has played one great game. Time will tell. I just feel that our PP could use some size in front of the net and having Eller and AK46 out there just might be a nice contrast to the smaller guys.

Speaking of AK46, we’re half way through the season and there’s still no clear consensus on what to do with him next year. This could be Mr. Gauthier’s biggest dilemma as we head into the trade deadline.

• krob1000 says:

I would say sign AK for 4 million per(3 years) . Eller has been progressing since last playoffs steadily. he has been creating and getting chances and been way more confident with the puck in general. Before that game he ahd played great since his benching…he was the direct cause of a couple other goals he didn’t get points on but he is just more comfortable and is buying himself more time with his possession and utilization of his frame. I was excited before that game but he was due for a big noght…not that big…but he was due for a 3 pointer.

Bobcat Bob
          @24cups: I say keep him. Leads the team in hits. Great passer, bullet shot — seems to score 20+ every year no matter who he is paired with. Why in the world would we get rid of him???

57. habsfanforever7631 says:

Emelin was just coming on, he was beeing recognised all over the leag as a hard hitter, hope he’s okay.

• aj says:

Relax, Chill! He’s going to be ok. The puck went to the Jaw area like what G-Man said. If the puck went as high as to near his visor or near the eye section, that’s going to be some serious trouble for the dude.

I know concussions are a main issue right now in the NHL but in his case, Je suis très content pour Emelin.

58. The Jackal says:

Does anyone else think the Bruins have voodoo dolls of our guys and are just playing with us now?

59. habsfanforever7631 says:

Dam! What dam luck we have!
    TSN 990 just said that Emilen tooke a puck of the face in practice …

60. shiram says:

Emelin got a puck to the face, and left practice…

61. G-Man says:

Stubbs just tweeted that Emelin took a puck off the face and was helped off the ice. In the jaw area.
    The Habs snake-bit season continues.
    -edit- I’m all for blocking pucks- just not with the face, guys.

62. lets go habs says:

WEBER is almost for sure being traded he is a liability to our team,
    GILL if we are out of the playoffs,he can make a nice return(blocks shots)
    Our second rounder ( we always trade it)

We need to trade let’s say weber and palushaj for a 1 rounder,
    Then trade em both our first rounders for a high pick and then give in something else for the 1 st overal, then I guarantee the REAL habs Like BACK IN THE DAY HABS and the gm good trade instead of Gomez trades will be back and WE WILL WIN THE 25 th STANLEY CUP NEXT YEAR GUARANTEED!!!
    Go HABS
    LET’S WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

63. TorontoHabsFan says:

For those who insist that Plekanec would not be of interest at all to Anaheim – they are currently a ghastly -39 in Goal Differential. Getzlaf himself is a -19, second only to Eric Staal for worst +/- in the league.

I’m no expert, but a defensive centre capable of putting up 70 pts @ $5m/yr would likely be pretty high on their list of wants.

• lets go habs says:

Yes but pleks a -11

Go HABS
      LET’S WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

• TorontoHabsFan says:

-9, but yeah…it’s surprisingly low.

But his value defensively is pretty obvious – I daresay there aren’t too many #1 centres that average 2:51/game on the PK (a PK that’s ranked 3rd in the league)

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Then why would anyone think about trading such a player?

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Getzlaf is younger and is exactly the Big, Strong, #1 Centre that everyone has been clamouring for since the 1970s.

I think that a top six that included Getzlaf, Cole, and Pacioretty would finally shut up the Smurf Brigade :D

• RiverviewCanadien says:

If he is that player, then ANH don’t want to get rid of him.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I agree, it’s crazy. But the GM himself has said that the only players that aren’t available are Selanne and Koivu. When he was asked whether that included Getzlaf, Perry, and Perry he didn’t amend his list.

They’re 2nd worst in the league, and what better way to change your team than by bringing in a defensive specialist at Centre – and one who won’t account for too much of a drop off in scoring?

• habsfanforever7631 says:

I wouldn’t give up on Plec, he scored 5 strate 20 goal seasons, or something like that, and he’s one of the best 2 way centers in the leag.

• LA Loyalist says:

… you are right. And the reality is, while they love Saku, he will need to be replaced in a year or two, even I can’t see Teemu and Saku doing their thing for more than 1 more year, especially if the team isn’t going well.
      … Secondly they need stronger stay-at-home D, a la Gorges / Rick Green / Craig Ludwig type. They have the great young offensive D, but Fowler and Visnovsky are very young, especially Fowler.

Many poster think “trade” based on who we want to get rid of. You have to think also of what other teams need, not just who we want from them.

I would give up a lot for Getzlaf, trust me, but I don’ t think we have the depth to play with grown ups just yet. Also as Markov is still an unknown factor.

64. habsnyc says:

Boston scored the most goals in the NHL season to date and has no top 20 scorers. Prior to yesterday’s game, Brad Marchand was their top goal scorer. Their top six forwards are 26, 26, 25, 23, 23 and 19 years old. Bergeron, Luccic, Marchand, Seguin and Krejci . They swapped two picks to get Horton and the remaing two years under his contract before he becomes a UFA.

There are a lot of things that Boston did right to get these forwards. They drafted well. They plaeyd the Kessel situation perfectly. They give up two picks for a young power forward that they can resign. They drafted not just for size in Lucic, or grit in Marchard or two way play in Bergeron, each of these guys is part of a balanced attack. It did not happen overnight. It started with Bergeron in 2003, 45th overall. They made mistakes too. They traded Thornton for nothing and he went on to win a scoring title and MVP. Bergeron is under contract til 14-15. Horton til 13-14. The other four have years left until free agency. This part of the roster can remain intact for several years.

All this happened during the time that Gainey and Gauthier churned Montreal’s roster. Boston’s fans are no less demanding than Montreal’s fans. The difference is that Boston made a bunch of smart incremental moves, got themselves in a place to be lucky and developed their talent. Boston never traded for bad contracts, did not waste huge money on players in decline. They
    did this while losing Savard and trading Kessel and Thornton, three players who are each better than any Montreal forward.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• ProHabs says:

First post I have read today and I am so depressed already.

• 24 Cups says:

They also have three solid prospects in the pipeline – Hamilton, Caron and Knight. Not to mention Rask as a great Plan B to Thomas.

The Bruins are 23-3-1 since Nov 1st.

HabsFanSince72 eat your heart out:-)

• HNS says:

Just a matter of time till that horseshoe falls out of their ass.

• habsnyc says:

I’m not making predictions. And I said they got lucky. But they made some good decisions and avoided making bad decisions. They are scoring with the guys they drafted. They don’t have the best players on offense. Just a lot of good players who do well together. That is what I expected from Gainey when he became GM. All I ever wanted was a couple decent draft picks, a good trade, a bit of luck and some chemistry. He did not have to be perfect. Like I said, Boston was not perfect.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I don’t disagree with most of your analysis, but to say that Boston’s hockey market is as demanding as Montreal’s beggars belief.

In Boston (where I have about 30 relatives), the Bruins come a VERY distant 4th – Red Sox are King, then the Patriots, then the Celtics, and lastly, the Bruins.

When Boston was flailing (for much of the last decade) it barely caused a yawn in the Boston sports market – a reality that Bill Simmons had written about repeatedly.

• habsnyc says:

Good point. Agreed the Bruins cannot hold a candle to the Sox and Pats. And they did drew poorly 8-9 years ago. But their fan base is still vocal.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• Sal says:

I work with a guy, a Boston sports fan, obviously a Dick, loves all sports Boston, reguarly attends Bruin games with a Bostonian season ticket holder who, even though he claims to love the Bruins, would, nevertheless, sooner go to a Sox game over a Bruin game, in a conflict of schedules. I ask you, does this guy GET hockey? I think not!!

Sal from the Hammer

• Kooch7800 says:

they didn’t sell out their home opener after winning the cup….

• LA Loyalist says:

Get ready for death threats :-)

I thought the Thornton trade would kill them, honestly, they handled him SO badly – and while he’s turned into a great regular season player, there is something not right in his head that I blame Boston management for.

Kessel seems to have been a win / win for Leafs and Boston, both GMs were vilified, which I guess is the definition of a win / win :-)

As for Bob Gainey. In brief… he panicked and tried to do a “Night of the Generals” move which has blown up in our collective faces.

Koivu sits in Anaheim as one of only two players the GM didn’t threaten to move, and Gomez is unplayable.

Nice move there, Bob.

• habsnyc says:

Yes the Thorton trade was handled poorly. But they retooled. Gainey was impatient with young talent (ex Price, with whom he showed way too much zeal). I think you see my point. It takes time to develop talent. Not every trade needs to work. But if you avoid really stupid things and do a few intelligent things, you can get where you want to go.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

65. Sal says:

I think it’s pretty obvious by now, that the Sens are way more for real, than the Laffs. They are deeper, better defensively, almost everybody is better defensively ,and, their coaching is far more superior.

Sal from the Hammer

66. derfab says:

Nothing against Pleks, but if we can land a big centre, he is expendable. Send Gill and Weber along and a contender or bubble team might bite. Leblanc looks good as backup for Eller and DD, who have shown they can play the position fairly well. I am still surprised that no one has attempted to make Pacioretty into a centre. He is smart, strong and fast and I think he would look pretty good between Cole and Kostitsyn. The best thing about the present chaos with the Habs is that it allows for some real thought outside the box. Who knows if there is anyone on board with the guts? Speaking of guts, Happy birthday Dickie Moore!

• LA Loyalist says:

Agreed. Especially about getting outside the box. And especially planning based on the projected peaks of PK, Price and MaxPax over the next 3-5 years.

A big center, though, I don’t know how we’re going to swing that. :-(

• derfab says:

Some big primadonna somewhere – a la Nash-Thorton-Getzlaf – must want to play here. And what about Pacs at pivot? Same size and nearly the same skill level as Lecavalier? Weird that when you have such a big need for one position player you don’t knock walls down to get him.

67. Chuck says:

So wait… are the Habs buyers or sellers?

• habs03 says:

Both, sell assets not need for next season, Gill, Campoli maybe Moen and A.Kost if you need want to resign them, and retool for next season, which might including being a “buyer”.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

sellers.

Price, Subban, Plekanec, Eller, Diaz, Emelin, Weber, Moen, Kostitsyn. All up for grabs.

They will keep the core guys of Gionta, Gomez, Cammalleri Gill, Kaberle for the rebuild

/end sarcasm

• 24 Cups says:

Chuck – Good point. I just don’t get all these trade rumours.

I have no interest in Iginla at the age of 34 with a 7M cap hit. Calgary would want our 1st rounder as part of a package and that’s a pick that could easily be a lottery selection. We should not trade our 1st rounder under any circumstance.

Pleks is 29 and is the least of our problems. Why trade him? In a perfect world, we just might land up with a decent one-two punch at centre in the next few years and at a reasonable cap hit.

Is there a poisonous situation in Anaheim like there apparently was in Philly? Because if there isn’t, why woud they want to trade guys like Getzlaf, Perry or Ryan? They are all entering their prime years.

Did I miss a rumour? LOL.

• Sal says:

It’s a huge stretch to think Habs have anything to offer to get, Getzlaf, Perry, or, Ryan, but, definitely, do NOT want Iggy. I love the guy, but, way past his best before date.

Sal from the Hammer

• Morenz7 says:

Yeah I think those comments from the Anaheim GM were intended for consumption by the Ducks, more so than other clubs. They really should be doing better.

• habstrinifan says:

Haven’t read all the post so not sure how Iggy’s name came up. I would take Iginla on the HABS in a heartbeat. I WONT give up the players that most people AGREE are the futur eof the club.

But apart from Gallagher and (maybe) Tinordi, I will give up any combination of prospecta and a draft picks which can be considered reasonable.

If Calgary trades Iginla it would be to rebuild so youth, propsects or draft picks would be what they are seeking and HABS may just have enough to swing a deal and not hurt themselves.

If Iginla comes to Montreal, I would take bets that he would have at least two great years (especially with JM not here), that he will be ‘loved’ and will love the city. And if not captain he will be given a letter and will also be listened to by everyone on the team. Iginla is a great player and a great teammate.

I wish we could get him.

• RiverviewCanadien says:

Eller and Pleks…1-2 punch as you put it. Sounds good to me.

I agree, what is up with ANH. Too many good players, something is wrong. Maybe they should fire their….oh wait they already did, nevermind.

• HabFanSince72 says:

The Anaheim GM said all 3 are on the market.

I don’t follow the Ducks but Perry, Ryan, Getzlaf are their 2nd-4th scorers (after Teemu). They do have horrendous plus/minus however.

The rest of the team is all journeymen.

• ProHabs says:

There is some chatter about those guys being available in Anahiem. So if you are a good GM you pick up the phone and kick the tires to find out. That way you don’t see those guys traded to another team and saying I didn’t know those guys were available.

• LA Loyalist says:

Aside from Selanne ripping his mates a new one several times, I have heard nothing out here.

Part of the problem is that changing a coach in mid-season does not allow much opportunity to change a system or culture, it’s no reflection on Boudreau or RC, for that matter, it’s just reality.

Pleks is a great #2 center. The problem is #1. How do we get a big mean stud with soft hands and character.

If it can be done, it will cost us. I would give up anything except PK, Price and MaxPax for Getzlaf.

A lot.

68. habs001 says:

The bruins have depth but they dont have huge goal scorers…their goal scorers are doing what is expected from them…right now camm,gion,plecks and gomez have a combined 25 goals ..it would be very reasonable to expect that these 4 had at least 16 more goals combined..if that was the case we would be in a playoff spot…

69. RiverviewCanadien says:

Plekanec is NOT going to be traded. He is WAY to valuable to this team. New BIG contract, NTC, one of the best leaders the young guys could have.

Cammalleri is more trade bait than Pleks will ever be, and that is who I am putting my money on that would be involved in a trade.

• lets go habs says:

All of you guys are so wrong!!!!!
      We are not making any huge trades with any of our veterans, we are about to solve our defensive problems with Markov coming back,
      And offensively,we are now getting the hang of it, the last 3 games we’ve been improving like there is no tommorow, and cammaleri is finally actually giving it his all!!!!! Same with plek!!!! Our new coach plays them less and only plays them if the play well, notice cammaleri 4 points last 4 games, Plek 3 points in 5 games, he’s been playing a lot less!!! If anything we will trade a late rounder and or a bad prospect like Ian schultz for a solid 3rd liner

Our problem is they don’t have much confidence till they’re winning, then when they are winning they are too confident and throw the game away…..true story fellas

Go HABS
      LET’S WIN THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

• RiverviewCanadien says:

I never said anything about a trade. Just cannot think for a second that Plekanec would ever be traded. Too important to this team.

I just don’t think there will be one (big trade), but if so, my opinion it will be Cammalleri to a contender because he is wicked in the playoffs.

• LA Loyalist says:

Sigh. I actually agree that Cammi is great trade bate to a contender, Kings would take him back I know. That said, here on planet earth you don’t get to trade crapped out vets or blown out prospects for good proven players – well, if you’re Glenn Sather maybe you can – but generally not.

Our good players are who other teams are going to want, and we don’t have a great basket of picks to offer either.

70. shiram says:

So alot of people are saying Habs don’t have a #1 center, Pleks is not a #1 center, and want to trade him.

I ask you then, what is a #1 center, and how many are there in the league right now?

• habsnyc says:

For the sake of argument, define a number one center as someone ranking in the top 10 in scoring among centers, with a winning faceoff percentage, durability, consistency and the willingness to be combative when necessary.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• shiram says:

Based on top 10 and winning faceoffs %, there are 5 right now in the NHL. Thats no including your other criterias.

Nick Backstrom, Spezza, Toews, Dastuyk and Kopitar fit your criteria.

Jean Beliveau.

I rest my case.

• shiram says:

I’d say he is quite an unique talent, and that’s my point.
        Every clamoring for this mythical #1 center fail to realize just how few of those are around. Not every team can have one.
        So the other centers that are not top 10 in scoring, well they are pretty damn good anyways.

71. HabFanSince72 says:

Re: Plekanec debate.

1. Plekanec is in my opinion worth more than Fisher. He is 3 years younger. Fisher has only topped 50 points in a season once in his career. I think Nashville got carried away.

2. Plekanec would really help a playoff contender, due to his playmaking and outstanding penalty killing. Chicago and Washington are two teams that could use him. In both cases he’d be going to a team with a bona fide number one centre.

3. The best we could hope for is a 1st rounder. Washington are attractive here because they have Colorado’s first as well as their own.

• TomNickle says:

The Capitals traded a 1st round pick for Troy Brouwer. I think Plekanec might just land the Habs more than a mid-late round 1st.

• shiram says:

I’m most likely biased on this, but I prefer Pleks to a first round pick.
      Pleks is known commodity, while picks can be hit or miss, and can take time to grow into the game.
      I guess it’s a matter of mentality, if someone feels the Habs need to rebuild and spend a few years dwelling the bottom, trading Pleks for picks makes sense.

• habs03 says:

Plek is one of the best 2nd line Centre in the league. The problem is he is being forced to be a top centre in MTL. What MTL needs to do see see if Eller/DD can be a good 2-3, where it would be ok to have Plek as your number 1 C. Look at Boston, Bergeron, Krecji, Perverly, none of them are a number 1 centre, but they simply have 3, 2nd line centres. That’s what MTL needs to do. Trading Pleck would be a huge mistake. Do you guys know how rare it is to find a decent centre in the league, with all of the good ones being signed long term. Leafs/Flames/Sabres all have been looking for on for years, and all have failed to find out.

• Gerry H says:

The idea that Pleks should go for a mid-pack first rounder is nuts. He’s been the Habs most consistent producer and Swiss Army knife for many years and should be nearing his peak value. Few mid-pack first rounders achieve what he is doing NOW, after five years+ of development.

I concur that the Habs don’t need a standout first line centre if we can develop three solid top sixish guys.

• not to mention this years scouting reports don’t really have a lot of top choices.. pleks has been my favourite player for a while now. ridiculous to consider trading a guy who can do anything for essentially will end up being an american D man which will be traded before getting any nhl time.

———-
          hip-check!

• Arrow77 says:

Team usually only move players that can be replaced by someone already in their lineup: move something you can spare for something you need. The problem is that what this team lacks the most, even more than physical players, is talent in the middle.

When Gainey let Koivu go, he thought Gomez would be able to match up his usual production, even improve on it. When that didn’t happen, it created the situation we’re in today, a team that needs his goalie to steal games because the offense isn’t there.

Until we can find a suitable replacement for Plekanec, I don’t even want to think about trading for him. We can’t have Eller as our top center, it will ruin his development!

72. aj says:

If everyone is happy or open to make substantial trades come deadline, the best players in this team should be available to my opinion be getting the go ahead:

Gionta
    Cammalleri
    Plekanec
    Campoli
    Gomez (keep your fingers crossed)
    Kaberle
    Gill
    White
    Darche

I would make a trade with the Ducks for either one of the following players if ever they want to release them:

Perry
    Getzlaf
    Ryan

• The Cat says:

You really believe Anaheim would trade any of those 3 for anybody in that list of habs you got there?

• TomNickle says:

If the Ducks are moving any of those three to us. You can bet Subban, Pacioretty and Eller are involved in the discussion.

• aj says:

Well, the one shot gamble would be for Gauthier to trade some smurf players, whether they produce here or not, for a good top-sixer like one of those three players.

• Welks says:

I have a question for any of the amateur capologists out there. I know this is highly unlikely to happen but what are the cap results if the following where to happen:

Gomez to Hamilton and is then recalled back from the farm… another team claims him on reentry waivers.

I believe the claiming team only has to pay 1/2 his remaining salary. How is the cap hit dispersed?
      It gets real confusing since I believe Gomez actual salary is 4 mil but his cap hit is 7. something.

I know the numbers are a bit high for another to to make this claim but just wonder how it plays out finacially.

• 24 Cups says:

Montreal would still have to pay half of his cap hit. That is why I feel this really isn’t an option for the Habs. If Gomez goes to Hamilton next fall, then he has to stay there for the two years. He’s basically going to be Wade Redden.

• Morenz7 says:

Wouldn’t you agree, though Steve, that Gomez is perilously close to that point? I know Gauthier doesn’t want Montreal to be known as a club that buries bad contracts. Not to mention the fact the Molsons would still be on the hook for his salary.

But the Kaberle signing has left PG with almost no room to maneuver come summer. Unless some team takes an interest in Cammy or Pleks at the deadline. Even then you have to fill those spots in the top 6. Burying Gomez seems to me the only move that would allow them to resign the players they need to keep and possibly do some shopping this summer. Whoever the GM happens to be.

• 24 Cups says:

Charlie – The Habs have a problem and they have to fix it. For me, there are only two options. Another team takes Gomez next October (for future considerations) or he is permanently exiled to Hamilton for the two remaining years on his contract.

Recallable waivers means a cap hit of 3.6M. That’s basically what we are going to be paying Gorges next year. As well, on a team that needs size and grit, do you want players like AK46 and Moen to walk just because you’re tied to a 7.3M anchor?

• sims says:

i would trade subban for perry or ryan in a heartbeat

73. Kooch7800 says:

Man how fast did Ottawa turn it around from last year. I think the habs can be in the same boat next season with some line up tweaking.

I am also shocked at the Rangers…man they are playing well again

Florida…this has been a wonkey season

• Hobie Hansen says:

I was just on break talking with a Sens fan.

He told me if I wanted to see a team that can push Boston around that I should tune into a Sens game and watch Neil, Carkner, Smith, Cowan and Konopka in action.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Konopka!

Everyone down a shot!

• TomNickle says:

Konopka couldn’t push around a paper weight and Cowan is going to be an excellent physical defenseman but he isn’t nearly strong enough yet.

Neil, Carkner and Smith are strong players who have an edge but they don’t hang with Boston in the physicality department. Flyers, Blackhawks, Kings and Sharks are probably the only teams who do.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry Tom….Wrong!

I did at one time want Konopka on our team but he simply can’t skate.

But to say he can’t push around a paper weight is a lie.

The guy is strong as a bull.

And saying Ottawa can’t match up physically with Boston is completely false.

Maybe Boston has a slight edge but the Sens are a close second in the Eastern conference in terms of team toughness.

• TomNickle says:

If you think the Senators can match the Bruins in the physical department, you’re dead wrong.

Konopka has 29 credited bodychecks this season. Yeah, a real world beater that guy is.

I to this day have not seen or heard of a highlight of Konopka checking anyone with any kind of authority.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Like I said, I wouldn’t want him on the Habs and he’d probably have more checks if he played more than 5mins a game.

And i was speaking more of his toughness in a scrap. He’s under 6′ tall, reminds me of Domi a bit when he tosses around guys who are 6’4″.

And If you don’t think the Sens are close to as tough as Boston, everyone has an opinion I guess?

• Psycho29 says:

Boston vs “Physical teams” this season:

vs. Ottawa W5-2, W5-3
            vs. Toronto W6-2, W7-0, W6-3, W4-1
            vs. Philly W6-0, L2-1

Doesn’t appear that the physical teams are pushing Boston around enough to win many games….

• Hobie Hansen says:

Psycho29,

My point was that Boston beats most teams on the scoreboard and also pounds them into the ice.

At least Ottawa stands up for themselves, that is all.

• Timo says:

If you want to see a team that can push Boston, you need to watch team that has MAB.

• NCRhabsfan says:

I watch the Sens regularly. So far it is pretty clear why they’re having the success they are: the veterans are performing at a very high level (Spezza, Alfredsson, Michalek, Gonchar, Phillips) the kids are contributing (Karlson, Smith, Greening, Cowan, Turris) and their rugged players (Neil, Konopka, Carkner) are creating some room on the ice for the others and forcing the opposition to keep their heads up and move the puck fast. Add in some solid goaltending and there you have it.

The Habs have no equivalent to Spezza, or, perhaps Alfredsson. They also have no one that is as effective as Neil at what he does. Karlson is playing like a great young player (lots of good, some bad) while PK is playing like a young player (some good, lots of bad).

• Kooch7800 says:

you missed the point about tweaking ;). We have a great foundation in players like max P, Cole, PK, Markov, Pleks, Eller, DD, gorges Cammy, Maybe AK if he is still here, Moen same,. If we add some solid players around them I think we can be a playoff team again. We should be now too be honest but every single vet has under performed minus Cole.
        Karlson sucked last year….and is having a good year this year, you don’t think PK will bounce back? I think he will when we have a healthy D core again and they are not all kids.

if the habs make some trades I think they can be a strong team again next year. Strong enough to contend with a vancouver or boston…probably not but with Strong goaltending you never know

• HabFanSince72 says:

Ottawa are not doing well. They have the second worst goals against (after Carolina). They will not make the playoffs.

74. aj says:

I think the players took RC’s encourgement of being pissed off right off the bat too literally.

He’ll be fine. Maybe by then he can show some fighting skills on whoever shot that puck in his face like PK and Pleks did on Monday.

75. LA Loyalist says:

Good news about Beaulieu – my kid played him in NHL (on juniour team) and he scored 6 goals and 4 assists.

Sounds exactly what the doc ordered.

76. kempie says:

Yeah Beaulieu definitely proved the “swells pretty quickly” theory. I thought his skin was going to split.

Roy. Your avatar say’s it all!

78. habsfaninboston says: