Habs and prospects undergo physicals/fitness tests

practiceweb

Canadiens players underwent physicals and fitness tests Saturday morning at the team’s practice facility in Brossard. Four players from the Hamilton Bulldogs who are invited to training camp also underwent testing as did Canadiens first-round draft pick Alex Galchenyuk from the Sarnia Sting. Forward Louis Leblanc, who played more games with the Habs last season than the Bulldogs, was not among the Bulldogs contingent invited to camp. The Bulldogs players in Brossard are forwards Brendan Gallagher and Gabriel Dumont and defencemen Jarred Tinordi and Mike Commodore.

The only Canadiens player who didn’t show up is P.K. Subban,  a restricted free agent who remains unsigned on the eve of training camp. Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin told reporters on Monday that it was his intention to sign Subban before camp. On Friday, Subban’s agent Don Meehan quashed a media report that the 23-year-old defenceman was poised to sign a four-year, $22 million contract.

Subban, who was a plus-9 last season,  missed only one game and posted 36 points, fifth best on the team and the highest of any defenceman.

Training camp is scheduled to open on Sunday.

The NHL Players’ Association tweeted on Saturday morning that it will announce results of the vote on the proposed new collective bargaining agreement later today. The 36-hour voting period ended at 8 a.m. on Saturday. Talks to finalize the memorandum of understanding were continuing in the morning, the NHLPA said.

(Photo by Dave Sidaway/The Gazette)

1. nunacanadien says:

Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin, get rid of your Tiny Tykes, get rid of your WelterWeights, get rid of your Skinny, Get rid of your Washed Up players and most of all get rid of the Trevor Timmins/Bob Gainey “You must be no taller than 6 feet 1 inches and not weigh 200 pounds” sign that you use to see who is small and light enough to make the habs. Sure we need to skate fast but honestly at the expense of being a wimpy team that is easy to push around and is perpetually injured?

2. frontenac1 says:

Tied at 14 in the First. Broncos vs Ravens

3. Blondie says:

CBA ratified by NHLPA – It’s almost hockey time!

4. punkster says:

I see the HIO servers are getting in to game shape…

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-and-prospects-undergo-physicalsfitness-tests/index.html on this server.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

5. Ron says:

Haha I just had a look at the picture which came with the thread, Whitie has the hair going again this season.

6. Hobie Hansen says:

Certain hockey commentators have stated they believe there is still more for Galchenyuk to learn in junior. I don’t believe that for a moment. The only reason he shouldn’t stay with the Canadiens is either financial reasons or that he’s still to young to play in the AHL.

Personally, I wish he was eligible to play in the AHL this season. Since he’s still to young I think the option is to see where he stands after 5 games. He might not be ready for prime time but he isn’t going to learn anything more than he already possess back in junior.

7. Ron says:

Gallagher tweet: Gunna have to battle AGally94 for who gets to keep the nickname and who will now be called Alex

The boy has some humour in him. :D

Erik Cole is getting hit pretty hard in the comment sections outside of the HI/O stratosphere. I still say it’s much ado about nothing.

• Propwash says:

I don’t see anything wrong with Cole sticking to what he believes in. It might not have been the greatest of timing however.

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• punkster says:

The best thing about all this brouhaha is how so much is being read by so many into so little.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• Blondie says:

Not surprising at all. The TSN commentariat was very heavily pro-owners throughout the lockout.

• vegas says:

I agree, just a bunch of media hype. He said what he said, now lets move one.
      Same goes with the PK situation, he can’t sign until the NHL/NHLPA deal is finalized, so whats all the fuss. Wouldn’t be suprised he’s sitting in his appartment waiting for things to get finalized. I’m not to worried hear

9. HABZ24 says:

Galchenyuk should get to play the first 9 games then send him down for the rest of the ssn.give the kid a taste. Dont ruin him by bringing him up too early the way we ruined latandress s career. Diaz or webber need to be traded both the same type.webber has the harder shot but hes been givin alot of games and hasnt lived up to potential yet,id lean to keeping diaz putting webber as trade bait or salary dump.gomez should get a 3 game lifeline.if he shows no signs of heart and desire. And production…zooom minors.kabrele better shake his ass and stop thinking he has a job locked up,he better look in the rear view mirror,he will be replaced.im looking soooo forward to terrien exploding on the lazy floaters,its gunna be great. If habs get off to a bad start in first 5 games were cooked.in a shortned season itll be hard to make up ground.like a kid hopped up on candy in a toys r us im soooo loking forward to puck drop !! Prediction: habs will finish 7 th or 8 th in conference and squeek into playoffs,from there its whose the hotttt team.anything can happen!

GO HABS GO

10. JohnBellyful says:

Pre-posted from tomorrow:

The HIO fraternity is a large, mostly friendly, sometimes fractious bunch, as we have briefly witnessed here today. Even though many contributors to this site have developed a distinctive voice, usually attached to a unique avatar, it’s not out of line to ask: How well do we truly know our fellow posters?
    We might think we have a good handle on who the others are, based on reading thousands of posts over an extended period, but let’s put that supposed familiarity to the test, with the first installment of Who Said It?
    Identify all 10 authors of the following posts (taken directly from the HIO archives) and receive a personal email from … well, we’re still working on that.
    Score two points for each correct answer, five points if you recognize your own quote.
    (To determine the correctness of your responses, go to Archives, click on each month, then click on each day, then scroll the pages of comments until you come across the quote you’re seeking.)

1.) “There is no doubt in my mind.”

2.) “I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Ellis is the Habs most underrated prospect.”

3.) “I find it ludicrous that people pick sides in all this.”

4.) “ I think that a little patience with idea of converting Eller to a left winger would not be remiss.”

5.) “People are so dumb!!”

6.) “That is about as likely to happen as the Buffalo Bills shutting out the San Francisco 49ers in their next contest.”

7.) “You think I lack candor or sincerity You lost me. But that is okay, glad you appreciate the feedback.”

8.) “ The NHL is toast in my eyes. A tainted aberration. A cheap snake oil salesman’s gimmick crying out for a sucker born every minute.”

9.) “DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!”

10.) “Hello, everybody, the good shoping place, the new season approaching, click in.”

Bonus points if you recognize these three posters’ signatures:

1. “[Disclaimer]: I’m a hockey fan. I care about the habs, but probably not as much as you.”
    2. “Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.”
    3. “Log in to Reply.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Man! I hate homework.

———————————–

Haha, good questions JB, but like Jim I too hate homework.

Nice to see you giving Habsfan0 and Propwash some props though. (Do I get points for 2 correct answers?)

• JohnBellyful says:

I’ve marked you down for two — no, make that three — points, only 11 questions to go.
        You can do it, big guy. (Homework tip: get in touch with Jim and divvy up the questions. Why not make it a sleepover?).
        Answers on my desk Monday morning. 9 sharp.
        (If you ask nicely while pressing one of them new 20-dollar bills in my hand, I could press the answer sheet in yours.)

Edit: Burl’, you should be able to guess No. 7. The comment was directed at you.

• Propwash says:

I…I feel so honoured to even be mentioned! I’m doooooooooomed for failure to answer all of these correctly though.

Silly question, is my new avatar pic coming through yet?

_____________________________
      “Access Forbidden” gettin’ ya down?
      Hold down Shift while clicking refresh.

• habstrinifan says:

#1… Tom Nickle
      #2… 24 cUPS
      #3….Habfab
      #4… Twilight???
      #5… Habfan10912
      #6… Hardhabits
      #7…. HabinBurlington
      #8… Chris
      #9… The Tanker guy
      #10…The optimist guy
      Bonus #1….. Geez I should know this
      Bonus #2….. Now it’s getting hard.
      Bonus #3….. Everybody at some time or another.

I apologize if I misquoted anyone!

Although I think that if you took time to ‘read between the lines’ of your posts you would find that you actually DID say what I said that you said in my answers.

• Habfan10912 says:

LMAO.

———————————–

• JohnBellyful says:

Seeing as you took the time to take the quiz, ‘trini, here are the answers:

1. ed lopaz June 2, 2012 at 8:09 am
        2. commandant May 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm
        3. punkster August 23, 2012 at 6:04 pm
        4. Chris August 31, 2012 at 11:20 am
        5. HabFab July 1, 2012 at 7:50 am
        6. habsfan0 October 2, 2012 at 8:36 am
        7. wjc September 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm
        8. HardHabits September 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm
        9. Propwash August 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm
        10. rongvvcwe November 24, 2012 at 2:37 am

• Ron says:

Sigs #1 HIS

The rest are all familiar but not searching, thanks JB

• Blondie says:

Not much into the contest but I liked the “Pre-posted from tomorrow” bit. :)

• Bripro says:

My turn… this’ll be fun.

1. I agree with trini. Tom Nickle, or HH, or Andrew Berkshire.
      2. I’ll get back to you… I might have to post a seperate list for this one.
      3. Habfab or Burly
      4. bwoar
      5. me or Timo
      6. Burly
      7. wja (or whatever his initials are)
      8. Hard Habits
      9. Habsfan or Shiram (not exaggerated dramatization…. but close ;) )
      10. Those Yugos….with numbers

Bonus:
      The Cat
      Samuel Beckett
      My wife’s bank account, iPad, iMac, iFrige and bedroom lock.

Jochen Hecht has signed a one year deal to return to Buffalo. He had some major concussion issues last year but certainly could have helped the Habs on the left side this year (3rd line?). Oh well, I guess it was never truly in the cards.

12. Steven says:

I’ve been seeing a lot of lineup combinations slating Galchenyuk on the LW of Pleks. I know he plays that position in Sarnia, but we’re grooming him to be a center. As well as that, Plekanec isn’t great at faceoffs from what I’ve noticed(though if I’m wrong, please correct me) and I’ve heard Galchenyuk is a solid faceoff guy.

In that vein, would it make more sense to have Galchenyuk play center on that line, between Gionta on the right and Plekance on the left?

• durocher says:

If playing Pleks on the LW works better than the experiment of playing Pleks on the PP point, I’m all for it :)

• commandant says:

Steven Stamkos, Jamie Benn, Claude Giroux, Tyler Seguin, Patrice Bergeron

Centres who started as wingers in their rookie season

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• Un Canadien errant says:

Agree with commandant, a rookie forward can ease into the NHL by having comparatively fewer responsibilities playing wing for a season or two. Tyler Séguin is an example we’re intimately familiar with. He’ll be haunting us for years to come. Thanks Burkie.

If UCe can do it so can I!! Re-post from the 2nd to last thread.

==================

Interesting that there is no English news on a recent report published by the Conference Board of Canada. Its conclusions are a scathing rebuke of the Bettman era.

According to the Conference Board of Canada the current financial model of the NHL is not viable long term.

Even though the lock-out is settled, for now, the agreement does not provide a solution that will ensure the long term sustainability of the league, the fundamental problem being that the league has expanded into markets where there isn’t enough interest in Hockey. They lay the blame squarely on Gary Bettman’s shoulders who started this vast expansion in the late 90’s sending Canadian franchises to U.S. markets, especially into the South.

They note that the new deal will garner an additional 250$ in revenue for the 30 teams which is approximately 8$ million per, however this will not rectify the budgetary deficits of many teams. They note that the Coyotes operated on a deficit of -20.6 million and the Blue Jackets -18.7 last season. The lock-out could very well exacerbate the financial problems of teams operating in deficits.

According to their research the NHL should have expanded in traditional markets, notably in Canada. They suggest Hamilton and Quebec City as examples of places where the NHL should be.

==========================

This is only the financial disaster implemented by Bettman. There is still the on ice officiating which is well below sup-par. All the rule changes since the last work stoppage that were supposed to make the game better have IMO made the game worse. The instigator rule, hand passes in the defensive zone, the elimination of the red line are examples of rules which should be set back to the way they were before Bettman arrived. As for the officiating, there is a real perception that the league brass has interfered with on-ice decisions. There is evidence of tampering as we saw with Colin Campbell. The Bruins were given a pass to intimidation and violence with nary a slap on the wrist and when other teams retorted they were duly punished. Not to mention since Bettman arrived only American teams have won the Cup.

===========================

I cannot feel good about hockey’s return. I cannot support this league while Bettman is in charge and Phoenix is in it. Nor Columbus for that matter. I could care less about NBC broadcasting games.

The glory days are over. The Habs were once one of the greatest sports franchises in the world, but those days were purer and simpler. The game was ours and it was about the game, not about collusion, corruption and fat cat barons raking in the cash while they are raping the fans.

===========================

Bettman’s apology rings hollow. His tenure as league commissioner should go down in history with infamy. Until Bettman is turfed and a Canadian (or a person with a real hockey sense) takes charge of the league and restores its integrity they can all rot as far a I care. In the past the NHL was well above the IIHF in terms of officiating and integrity. The tables have been turned. If I want hockey I will stick to games organized by the IIHF and the junior and minor leagues. The NHL sucks. It is crap league with a crap product. It could take a decade to repair the damage, but it wont happen until the league contracts and Bettman is history.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Attaboy, HH. I think I learned you everything I know.

• solomio says:

HH ..You think Canadians know more about hockey than any other country’s peoples?
      In the past yes but Canada has been steadily losing ground. You know that the U.S. is now in it for the long haul and with their population and resources they will very soon be the hockey super power. And if Russia decides to go all in Canada will be relegated to a tentative third ranked hockey nation. Perhaps, in Canada, maybe, just maybe, rampant greed, corruption , collusion and the like are not so evident in our own little hockey world ( and that is definitely debatable ) however with the continued involvement of U.S. & International interests that ugliness will continue to increase.
      So indeed you will have to satisfy your hockey appetite with minor leagues and miss the best hockey talent in the world playing in the NHL. Changing the Commissioner’s name from Bettman to any other name will not change a thing. The job is to make the owners more money and that will inevitably mean expanding further into the U.S. and International markets.
      You know it.

“I figure Bergevin has 3 or 4 moves left to bring the Habs that extra step closer to perhaps being the best in the league.” – Einstein

14. durocher says:

If it were up to me….

MaxPower-DD-Cole
    Gally-Pleks-Gio
    Bourque-Eller-Prust
    Moen-White/Dumont-Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
    Markov-Emelin
    Cube-St-Denis
    Diaz

(That said, I would like to see Diaz and Weber both shipped for bigger, stronger players)

• Boomer says:

you’d have to get rid of Nokes as well.

• durocher says:

Yep — that’s true. I’d take White or Dumont over Nokia. White didn’t seem the same after he returned from injury. Provided that he is pre-injury form, I think he’s more valuable than Nokia.

• roadrunner24@hotmail.com says:

Wheres gomez ?? you really think he`s not going to make this team? There not just going to cut him or trade him. He will be on the 2012-2013 roster.

• Un Canadien errant says:

One tweak is that René Bourque apparently feels much more comfortable on the right wing, that’s where he played when he scored his 27 goal seasons. So if he’s on the third line, instead of plugging the hole on Tomas’ left wing, all efforts should be made to put him on the right wing.

• vegas says:

I agree 110%, play the players where they play best. eg Cole

Maxpac / DD / Cole
        Gally / Plek / Gionta ( if Galchenyuk makes the team)
        Moen, Prust / Eller / Bourque ( I like this)
        Moen, Prust / Gomez, White / Armstrong

If Galchenyuk doesn’t make the team, move Eller there, Gomez becomes third line center

on defense
        Markov / Gorges (Gorges played well on the right of Markov in the past)
        Emelin / Subban (some heavy hitting here)
        Kaberle, Boullion, Diaz, Weber.

Kaberle has never played the right side and I don’t think Boullion has either. Although I like Boullion I think it was a wasted signing. We needed a big right handed Banger

We have to eventually fix that right side. Ellis is our only candidate in about 2 years

Beaulieu and Tinordi play the left side also

• nunacanadien says:

Gionta is one of the greatest weak points. Sure he has fire and heart ala Saku, but honestly since when does a 4 foot tall forward get you a Stanley Cup ever? Well????? Are you hockey fans or are you just lame beer drinkers lame cause Adolph Coors and Geoff Molson made you that way? Are we hab fans or not????

Do we want a team of real NHL players or not?????

Enough of these tiny tykes ala Prust who couldn’t get within ten feet of the other net to shoot the puck.

• solomio says:

Is Gally Gallagher or Galyenchuk(sp)

15. commandant says:

The best part about the Brian Burke presser was the potshot at Steve Simmons.

Made because Simmons wrote that Burke should have been in Toronto and not Afghanistan on July 1st 2011

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Simmons tweets this afternoon reeked of some desperation as well. Trying to claim how well he and Burke “used” to get along.

It was an entertaining presser as usual with the blowhard.

16. F50Marco says:

Alright here’s a question for you all.

P.K Subban signs for how much and how long? I think 3 years at 4 Mil per. Honestly anything under 3 IMO is low anything above 4.25 is way over-paying.

• VJ says:

I expect a short term, bridge contract. 1 maybe 2 years 4.25-4.50 per

• durocher says:

Bridge contract – 2 years, $5.8m total. I believe Gorgy got a bridge contract of 2 years, $3.8m total; $5.8m total seems very reasonable from that perspective.

• solomio says:

Why do you guys think Subban would even look at 2 years ? Other teams will gladly over him 5 or 6 right now and he would be foolish not to accept.

• vegas says:

i hope its 3 years at 4 or
      8 years, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6 (Average 5 )

• solomio says:

8 years with an average of 5 million? No that won’t do it. Would you accept that knowing that at half way through that deal you will be entering your prime time for a lousy 5 mill? Noooooooo.

17. habstrinifan says:

I gotta say that it’s nice to see all the HABS players back on the ice in Brossard. They all look healthy and excited. Just wish they had could add a character who would bring some colour to the team! Oh Wait!!!

Ducks for cover!!!

18. Habfan10912 says:

Could Louie L’s salary have played a part in the non invite? Perhaps there was no way the Hab’s could take on that salary with PK’s signing iniment and not to waste his time and decided to pass. Possible no?

———————————–

• commandant says:

His salary is barely over 1 million… its a matter of a few hundred grand vs a guy like dumont or gallagher, not enough to make or break this team.

IMO Its about the fact that those two have been the best 2 Hamilton forwards this season, and Louis hasn’t played as well as they have.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

• ed lopaz says:

its possible. But in my opinion he simply has not shown anything to deserve the call. I am a big supporter and have been since he was 16 years old. But his shoulder injury and now this ankle injury have really slowed down his development. He needs some time in Hamilton and prove that he can dominate there.

• Kooch7800 says:

High ankle sprain has set him back this season. He will be get better and I would imagine will make the team next year

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• vegas says:

he looks fragile. Some form of injury every year.
      Say what you want but he should do what PK did. Some serious intense training and put some strength and weight into that fragile body

• neumann103 says:

While the coaching and management staff is new I have to think that they have enough of an idea of what Leblanc brings from his significant NHL experience. The uncertainty is how much he has recovered from injury and how much that has impeded his development. The fact that he has not been that good in Hamilton (eg behind both Gallagher and Dumont and probably others) since his return kind of moots the need to bring him in.

“Et le but!”

• solomio says:

No not at all. Louie L is big disappointment, will amount to nothing and will be lucky to become a journeyman third line player , which he probably won’t.

19. ProHabs says:

Good story you did with Stubbs on the last thread Ian Cobb.

And good on you and other HIO posters for staying away this year and not bothering with the summit. It sounds like a great time and a nice chance to meet fellow Habs fans but I think it also sends a little message that the fans should not be taken advantage of.

• Problem with that (Summit) is that we all go to hang out with great people and at the same time raise money for children. It was short notice that we didn’t have the summit. Too much too soon makes for mistakes.

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

• Ron says:

Shane, I know you are one for Habs merchandise etc. Have you seen the ones some of our military are bringing back from Afghanistan ? My grandson (2RCR) returned before Christmas and brought me back a Habs cap which was desert tan with the same colored embroidered CH patch as well as a poloshirt of the same color with patch as well. They are awesome. He told me the prices he paid which was only a few bucks apiece. With your connection thought maybe you have seen them.

20. BJ says:

I enjoy a good rough game but somehow listening to the fans adulate ex Hab Donald Brashear leaves me wondering where exactly we are situated on the evolutionary scale?

21. Steeltown Hab says:

I’ve actually heard from two completely unrelated people now that apparently Burke impregnated a 23 yr old girl.

It’s obviously outrageous, but has anyone heard this rumor?

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

22. Un Canadien errant says:

***Re-posted from last thread***

The Montréal Canadiens’ scoring winger and all-round stand-up guy Erik Cole has made some disconcerting statements about his mindset following the ratification of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement between the National Hockey League and the NHL Player’s Association. In effect, he claims to be so disenchanted with the deal that the Association was able to strike with their employers, and skeptical of its fairness, that he is contemplating retirement at the end of the season. The prospect of losing ten percent or more of the value of his contract through escrow clawbacks leaves a bitter taste in his mouth, seeing as he signed this contract only last summer, especially since he more than held up his end of the bargain so far.

Now, I don’t believe for a second that he will go through with this, and walk away from the remaining two seasons and $9M (minus the Bettman Larceny Factor of course, which will probably work out to as much as a million dollar removed from his compensation). I think that when he’s back in the dressing room with the boys, and on the ice having fun at practice, and when he cashes in some David Desharnais feeds and 21 000 fans erupt in the New Forum, he’ll quickly come around. He enjoys the game, it’s what he does and he’s very good at it, he won’t quit cold turkey out of spite.

On the other hand, I don’t think he’s being disingenuous. Mr. Cole has been a stalwart supporter of the Association and its good fight against the owners, serving as a player representative alternate to Josh Gorges, and making himself available to the media to explain the players’ stance and counter the management disinformation campaign. As such, he’s been strongly committed to the cause, and it’s perfectly believable that now that it’s over, and the NHL pretty much had its way, that he’s feeling let down and contemplative. He’s genuine in expressing his feelings, and what he’s going through. If he’d had a week to cool off, those feelings would not have been so raw, and he’d probably have had the willpower to hold his tongue.

That Erik Cole is going through this, and that Ilya Kovalchuk is not overjoyed at the prospect of leaving his current team in his home country to go back to toil for the Devils, after being Scarlet-lettered as one of the culprits for the owners’ third lockout in two decades, is understandable. Just as there were pragmatists/bootlickers like Roman Hamrlik in the players’ camp, there were also some highly militant, outraged members, and that they won’t be all rainbows and sunshine in the space of a couple days at the prospect of heading back to work and shaking hands with their bosses, and acting like they haven’t been heisted again, without much recourse.

So if Erik isn’t all polished and doesn’t speak in platitudes and opens his heart and bares his soul and overstates his possible course of action and still wants to send a message to the owners and hasn’t quite given up the fight yet, let’s cut the guy a break or two. He’s proven himself to the fans of Montréal all of last season by being a leader on and off the ice, by working tirelessly and spectacularly, by scoring a career-high in goals and bringing spectators out of their seats with his thrilling rushes to the net, and by never giving up and playing his heart out for every game of a very difficult season. Erik’s all right in my book, and he should be so in yours.

———————————————————————–
    One month ago, when Don Fehr said the NHL and NHLPA were essentially on top of one another and were not far apart at all from an agreement to end the lockout, the union leader was not kidding.

The only joke was that Canceler-in-Chief Gary Bettman and sidekick Bill (The Hill) Daly responded on that Dec. 6 day by throwing a twin tantrum that effectively shut down negotiations for a month while delaying the start of the 2012-13 season for the same amount of time.

The fact is the agreement in principle the parties reached just a couple of hours before sunrise yesterday morning following a 16-hour workday was suspiciously close in essentially every respect to the proposal to which Bettman responded with another in a set of ultimatums that all proved empty threats while keeping NHL rinks empty at the same time.–Larry Brooks of the New York Post

• Boomer says:

I agree UCE,
      It’s hard to predict what a man might do or think, but I am also of the mind that when he starts getting back into the groove of things he won’t want to retire just yet.
      Happy new year and welcome back :)

• 24 Cups says:

In terms of these CBA negotiations, Larry Brooks has hardly been an unbiased reporter. In fact, he has basically been a puppet for Don Fehr. Either that, or his hatred for Bettman has compromised his reporting ethics.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I disagree 24. He’s one of the few who called out the owners and their henchman for their devious tactics, their misinformation and the way they treated their ‘partners’ from 2006. He didn’t try to be even-handed or ‘fair and balanced’, which would have been akin to presenting both sides of the global warming debate and giving each side equal merit and airtime. He analyzed the situation and commented on what he saw.

Meanwhile, the hucksters at Sportsnet covered themselves in shame with their owner-biased coverage. The guys at TSN tried to be more neutral, but their efforts to not anger their broadcast partner hampered their objectivity.

Gary Bettman orchestrated a heist of the players, at the expense of the fans, because North American public opinion has been tilted against unions by the economic dislocation we’ve undergone recently. He rode the coattails of the NFL and NBA to a radical shift in how much revenue that the players earn would actually end up on their paycheques, at the expense of his credibility as a Commissioner and of any chance that a partnership between players and owners might ever develop. He’s a carpetbagger who could have ended up as a flimflam man selling a pyramid scheme, or subprime mortgages, he has the ethics of a cartomancer, and deserves to be raked over the coals by clear-eyed reporters without any conflicts of interest.

• bwoar says:

Sorry, but Brooks has always been a massive player apologist and mouthpiece for the union. This isn’t his first lockout either.

I’m fine any player apologists want to watch hockey this year through Bettman-hating glasses; it’s a choice and frankly he deserves it. But don’t be naive about Larry Brooks, he’s always, always been a giant pro-union guy and his reporting has slanted pro-player for years.

Sorry UCe I gotta go with bwoar and 24cups on this one. Brooksie has been completely biased towards the players. I still enjoy reading some of his work and love his interviews with Torts, but on this topic he had zero impartiality.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Again, there is no impartiality to be applied in this situation, as there should be no impartiality when an investigative journalist debunks a pyramid scheme or 911 truthers. There is simply a fraud that needs to be uncovered. There is a side that was justified in trying to retain what gains they’d made since the ’60’s, and another mendacious side that treated its customer base with contempt and opted out of the last deal because it was, in Gary Bettman’s own words, “too fair”. Exclamation point! So Brooksie was one of many, many journalists and columnists who to varying degrees placed the blame for this sorry mess squarely on the owners and Gary Bettman, and rightly so. And Brooksie was a trustworthy touchstone to turn to when the owners would castigate the players or Don Fehr for being inflexible.

• neumann103 says:

Attempting to shoehorn a reality where one side (the owners) is much more responsible for every aspect of this stoppage into the “both sides are wrong” false equivalency is not a virtue.

I don’t think Brooks is unbiased but his bias is open and much less than the so called impartial View From Nowhere.

The Owners took a CBA they designed, mismanaged their business in a period of significant growth, locked out the players tried to break the union, and clearly had a timeline based strategy where they hoped they could break the union by the deadline for a 48 Game season and if not then would settle for the deal they could have had four months ago without controversy.

The deal that started with the players taking a >12% cut in their share of the pie.

“Et le but!”

23. Boomer says:

As usual, Pleks is the first guy on the ice.
    I love this, when asked if he would prefer C or the wing, Galchenyuk “It depends on chemistry”. Well said.

• jols101 says:

Great update. Where are you getting all this from? Been waiting all day for news like this.

• Boomer says:

twitter my friend, brian wilde and Mr.Stubbs. i know how much you like prospects as well, there are some great people to follow including our Commandant ;) who provide excellent coverage and some even answer questions you may have. I like following Corey Pronman, would recommend to any draft eligible or prospect enthusiasts.

24. B says:

From Hickey in today’s Gazette:

“Louis Leblanc, Mike Blunden and Frédéric St-Denis all finished last season in Montreal and are expected to get invites. Other possible candidates include Brendan Gallagher, Jarred Tinordi and Gabriel Dumont.”

None of the 3 in his “expected” list were invited, but all of the “other possible” ones were.

It may be helpful (at least to start) to have more players that are already in game shape. It may not hurt to give some guys who need it a bit more time to get ready (and a little push or pressure from guys below can be a good thing).

–Go Habs Go!–

25. Boomer says:

Dumont gets the call. Good on him.

26. jrshabs1 says:

This just in after Burke’s presser this afternoon…guess who leaf nation is blaming for Burke getting fired ? This comment borrowed from Sportsnet…..
    so where is that **** George Cope, why isn’t he explaining himself? Tanenbaum and Rogers were supportive of Burke, but Cope went on a mission to get him out. Cope/Bell by the way, are part owners of the Montreal Canadiens and he’s a habs fan. Bell should be forced to sell their interest in the Leafs after this nonsense. The League should look into it.
    Leaf fans should drop their Bell TV and Bell phones over this. Go to Rogers or Telus, but tell Bell you won’t be part of George Cope’s ego. Or picket the ACC on game night – FIRE GEORGE COPE

My retort to this comment has since been deleted by the leaf fascists over at Sportsnet. I live in leaf nation…good time to be a Hab fan. BTW…Hab fans like myself tend to whine from time to time but nothing like the tear fest that has been going on this week in leaf nation….the leaf motto: blame the Habs for everything wrong with hockey. Also, all Hab Stanley Cups don’t count because the Habs cheated the league out of the best players. Like I said it’s a good day to be a Hab fan.

Go Habs Go!!

27. Habs64 says:

Schedule out soon I would think.

28. Sportfan says:

Sigh I can’t wait for Subban to sign his damn deal so this can be over -_-

29. HabFab says:

For all the HIO regulars, who enjoyed the song writing talents of the posters keeping us entertained during the lock-out. We are pleased to show the boys together (L couldn’t attend) and singing their songs. Prizes for those being able to identify correctly, 5 of our very own All Stars;

30. mrhabby says:

Brian Burke presser……the leafs are the crown jewels of the nhl. I will not miss this bull shitter one bit. What a blow hard.

• Thurston says:

Don’t worry. Blowhard Brian will be back.
      Hell, if Pierre Gauthier can get hired again by an NHL club, I’m sure “Burkie” can talk his way into another job.

31. habstrinifan says:

What can you take for a swollen head?

Right on Subban! Right on Gallagher trumping LL.

This is getting unbearable…. as I am sure you will no doubt agree.

I shall be coming down the mountain soon wih following …

Why Armstrong will be a a huge scorer for us.

Why Gionta is the most important man in teh room…. and not for the reason you think.

Etc.