Habs also getting tougher on the farm

Stortiniweb

New Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and coach Michel Therrien have made it clear they want to be a tougher, more physical team once the lockout ends, signing free-agent enforcer Brandon Prust to a four-year, $10-million free-agent contract during the summer.

Prust fought an NHL lead-equalling 20 times last season for the New York Rangers. He scrapped 18, 25 and 16 times the three seasons before that, 2009-10 split between Calgary and New York, 2008-09 between Calgary and Phoenix.

And the Canadiens could also be a lot tougher on the farm, with Zach Stortini one of the players taking part in the Hamilton Bulldogs’ training camp in Sherbrooke. In 257 career NHL games, Stortini has 14-27-41 totals and 275 penalty minutes.

“I’m more than a fighter,” Stortini, who has dropped the gloves nearly 90 times in his NHL career, told The Gazette’s Pat Hickey. “I’m responsible, defensively, and I can contribute some points.”

You can read Hickey’s article on Stortini by clicking here.

There was bad news on the NHL lockout Tuesday afternoon as talks broke off in New York with no plans for negotiations to resume. The next step looks like the NHL will start cancelling regular-season games, with the season slated to begin on Oct. 11.

NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told reporters in New York that missing the pre-season cost the league almost $100 million U.S. in revenue.  He added that “no progress” was made at Tuesday’s session, which focused on the definition of hockey-related revenue.  You can read more by clicking here.

Meanwhile, the New York Times had a good feature on Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane and how he prepared financially for the lockout. The Times reported that Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, set him up with a financial adviser, who helped him save much of the $900,000 he earned last season. Kane recently agreed to a deal to play with Dinamo Minsk of the KHL. You can read the Times article by clicking here.

The KHL announced on Tuesday that it will broadcast five games in the United States during October on ESPN3 and might add more if the lockout drags on. Wednesday’s game between Dynamo Moscow and Ak Bars Kazan will be the first televised game. And The Canadian Press reported that the KHL has also scheduled two regular-season games at the newly opened Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y., in January.

The Toronto Maple Leafs Joffrey Lupul hasn’t headed overseas, but has found work during the lockout as a writer, doing an article for AskMen with his take on the lockout.

“I will start by saying I am 100% behind our union,” Lupul wrote. “We have stability, have been well informed and are fully confident in Donald Fehr and his staff. Did we anticipate missing games? Not really – especially when we saw that the numbers at the end of the year were record-setting. But that is where we are now, and we have to stay the course and deal with it.”

You can read Lupul’s entire article by clicking here.

In other off-the-ice news, former Canadien Sheldon Souray’s girlfriend, diva Kelly Kelly, has been released by World Wrestling Entertainment. You can read more about that by clicking here.

(Photo by Dario Ayala/The Gazette)

1. Dr.Rex says:

Lockout = YAWN

Bettman = TWIT

No hockey = Long talks on the couch with gf : (

Habs Fans = Backbone of the NHL

It happens once in a while that I do think about hockey. It usually doesn’t result in anything good or significant, but here is what I was thinking. Lots of people get all upset that NHL superstars go overseas and “steal” jobs from some poor sap trying to make a living? Isn’t the same happening here? Say guys like Datsyuk or Forsberg or Malkin, come here, steal a job from some little poor Regina or Saskatoon-boonies boy. It’s a global thing… same happens in all (most) other industries. You can get the best, you get them.

I don’t even know why I thought about it.

I don’t think when Datsyuk and Forsberg came over they had a 8year contract waiting for them back home and left 4 months into the NHL season just prior to Stanley Cup Playoffs to go back and play for Frolunda, that may be somewhat different.

• Yep. All that’s happening is the pool of jobs gets smaller while the pool of talent stays the same. Can’t blame the talent for moving into different jobs.

3. commandant says:

Another announcement as the site expands, again.

Tonight we launch “Puckheads” a one-hour radio show on the network.

Mitch, Max and myself will be talking all things hockey, NHL lockout, Prospects, etc…. We plan to even do a feature on Habs Prospects and Early returns in the CHL.

Full Details are here.

We’re on from 10-11 pm and if anyone wants to call in with questions, we’d be glad to take them.

If you can’t listen live, we’ll have up the replay after its over… but you won’t be able to call in.

Our call in number is a New York City number right now, but you can also use Skype.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

4. I love my Habs. I adore my Habs. But if there are no Habs to be had, I’m happy to pay for RDS or TSN each month to watch as many CHL, AHL, KHL and even Swiss League games as I can manage.

Even more than I love my Habs, I love good hockey. And the longer this BS lockout takes, the more people will be clamoring to see other leagues on TV — especially now that we’ve all got hometown heroes scattered across Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Russia… Makes it a lot easier to cheer for Vityaz Chekhov with Markov on the team, for example.

The owners may be overplaying their hand here. NHL players — almost every one of them — can find work elsewhere., albeit for less money most of the time. But the league is not mobile, has no new markets, and is going to lose at least some of its fan base — the only question is how much.

• Cal says:

Show me a bottom six forward now overseas. None, you say? That’s 6 times 30 teams, or 180 players.
      3rd pairing Dmen? None, again? That’s 2 times 30 teams, or 60 players.
      That’s 240 players.
      Ok. Goalies. How many have overseas jobs? I’ll be generous and say 30. That leaves 30 goalies.
      Now 270 players.
      Rosters are 23 players, with 3 players not dressing. Most teams do not have 23 with the team at all times, so I will just add 1 player per team.
      Now it’s 300 players. None of them are collecting their pay.
      That’s a lot of players not making money. You think they’ll be happy with Fehr’s non-negotiating stance?

• We don’t t disagree that this lockout is going to be really hard on the perennial call-ups and marginal roster guys — they’re a big part of the reason I get my back up a bit when people complain that this is all just millionaires vs. billionaires.

But even those guys surely can — and will — find work (albeit for a lot less money, like I admitted up above) in the ECHL, AHL, and other overseas leagues that don’t quite have the appeal of the KHL. Diaz and Weber are not top-4 D-men, and they’re playing in Switzerland. Goc is in Germany, Sobotka is in the Czech league, Anthony Stewart is playing in Britain. Even the washed-up Ruslan Fedotenko has a KHL job.

Fact is, the worst guys in the NHL would be the best guys in most other leagues, so they’ll find work there.

5. roady says:

Personally….I don’t support either side in this lockout…..greedy bunch of scumbags…..the lot of them, as far as I’m concerned they can kiss my Royal Canadian Ass…piss on them !!! The fans get shit on once again ! I’ll watch the OHL, in particular the Ottawa 67’s….RDS has been cancelled from my programming…..they can KMRCA as well !!

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

6. shiram says:

for the desparate NHL fans…
    A group of fans is putting together an NHL season, and streaming it online, using NHL 13.

7. SmartDog says:

If you’re an owner, you have to be thinking that another difference this time around is that the KHL is a more stable league now. If that league gets television play, and the lockout goes for most or all of the season, it will get a toehold in this market. No, it’s not going to take a huge bit out of fans anytime soon, but letting a competitor in the door at all is not something you want to do when you have a monopoly on people’s attention. Hockey is more like soccer in its appeal. Football, baseball, and basketball are not international sports in the same way that hockey and soccer are.
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

Would love to hear Pierre Houde call out the Russian/European last name from Khl games.
      That said if it came to a competition between the KHL and NHL for my viewing hours, NHL would win out every time.

• commandant says:

I don’t think they are threatened by the KHL in the market

1) the games aren’t in prime time.
      2) the TV deals are internet only
      3) there is no live action for fans to go to.
      4) the NHL is the established brand and we’ve seen what this means in the past (NHL vs WHA, NBA vs ABA, NFL vs USFL) etc….

The bigger loss would be losing players to the KHL… but I don’t think they are worried about the north american fan.

• Cal says:

Lol. Toenail hold is more like it. The KHL is still a robber baron league played in the middle of nowhere in front of tiny audiences. The game they are holding in Brooklyn may sell some tickets, but no NHL owner is going to worry about 1 game in a rink desperate for customers.
      Fans here will watch a couple hilights and maybe watch a game or two but with no emotion invested in the teams it’ll be just another tv program.
      The NHL has already dealt with the KHL in that it is very tough for Russian players to attract any draft interest unless they play junior in North America.

8. shiram says:

Like that Marokov gets to play a competitive game, but I heard the team he is signed too is basically a goon squad, hopefully that means he is well protected.
    Also heard his NHL contract is insured, so if he gets hurt playing there, his salary will be paid by the KHL team/insurance.
    And like many have said already, toughness and fighting skills are good to have on the team, while the League continue to ignore it’s own rules, but it should not come at the expense of skills and talent.
    Alex Henry always was a good veteran presence to have in the Bulldogs, and I’m sure he will be missed, but with the influx of young D’s, maybe a spot had to be vacated.

• commandant says:

The Henry’s spot had to be vacated is good in theory… but then the team signed Hagel to be a tough guy and a defenceman.

Nice for Hagel, Hamilton kid playing on the bulldogs, but the guy isn’t near as talented as Henry.

• shiram says:

I guess having Hagel instead of Henry opens up a higher D spot then, Hagel is a bit younger too, though Henry was only 32.
        I wonder if Henry chose to leave or if the Bulldogs decided not to re-sign him, he was making good money in Hamilton, not sure if the Germany league offers such high salaries.

• frontenac1 says:

I still can”t figure out why they let him go . The few times I saw him play on the big club,he looked pretty good. He was also captain of the Dogs and a Leader for the kids who always had their backs. Just doesn”t add up.

• Ron says:

I remember reading an article back in May that quoted his agent as saying Alex had to make a decision on the upcoming season because his fiancee was going to be taking a job in Germany and when he (the agent) approached the Habs management about a new contract he was asked for abit of time for them to make up their mind as to the direction the Bulldogs were to be taken. With the not so in place new Habs management at the time his agent said Alex chose to follow his fiancee and play where he did in a previous lockout. The Habs lost a good one.

For those who believe the union needs to crack first (I am of the belief that this is what it will take to make a deal) here is a well written article by Damien Cox of Toronto Star, showing how different the union is run now with Fehr in charge. And why we won’t see the union blink for a long time.

• naweed235 says:

As much as I like to side with the PA, I think they are being too hard nosed… They have not even given up 1% from their current 57% share of revenues and are shutting down all talks that aims to lower that percentage. This is no way to negotiate, especially if you are the employee that is gaining more than half of the pie.
      I for one share Lafleur’s point of view on the situation and think that a 50-50 share would be reasonable for both sides.

• commandant says:

The PA’s latest offer called for a 54% share this season and 52% in future seasons.

Secondly…. You can’t go 50/50 until you agree what HRR is.

• B says:

From what I have been reading, the players refuse to take one cent less than what they got in overall salaries last season. They want a guaranteed dollar amount equal to or greater than what they got last season (in other words, decoupling it from revenues). They are so far only willing to reduce their percent of revenues going forward provided that there is enough of a growth in revenues from last seasons such that their dollar total does not drop below last season’s dollar total (something like $1.881B which is 57% of the reported $3.3B in revenue last season). I also believe they are still seeking a guaranteed increase in that dollar total going forward (again decoupled from revenues) but claim that this could represent a decrease in their percent over time provided that there is sufficient growth in revenues going forward to insure their actual dollar total does not drop (or that it also includes a modest increase in that dollar total amount annually as well).

Here is a quote from Dreger’s latest TSN article on this mess: “An NHLPA spokesperson says the players are willing to discuss all economic issues, but aren’t willing to consider the NHL’s call for an immediate salary reduction in any form.” So it still sounds like they are still not willing to accept one cent less in overall salaries than they got last season.

Perhaps I am missing something here?

• Chrisadiens says:

Damien Cox has always been pro ownership. There’s a lot of use of the word “basically” when referring to the PA’s offers. Kinda reads like propaganda to me. Just my opinion…

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

I am no fan of Cox, and usually don’t give his writeups/comments much value. However, whether he is pro ownership or not, what is important to note is that indeed Fehr is in a position of much more strength as Union leader than the previous few regimes.

Given I think this negotiation is more about the ego of Bettman versus the ego of Fehr, I am worried about how long this lasts.

• Cal says:

Only the star players are getting jobs in Europe, not the average players. That means about 350 to 400 players not getting pay. That’s a lot of people to shut up, especially when Fehr’s method of negotiating is to avoid it at all costs.

• Chrisadiens says:

Fehr definitely holds the power. He’s going to get the best deal possible since the union got destroyed during the last lockout. I’m of the belief that ownership needs to fold a bit to get a deal done. Either way, I think we (the fans) are screwed.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

• Cal says:

The players will fold. 240 players involved in the last lockout never played again in the NHL. There is too much to lose.

10. RobertAlanFord says:

Markov to be introduced as a member of Vityaz Chekhov of the KHL.

@RAFord77

HIO SUMMIT NEWS!

I am having trouble with holding onto our reservations at the Baton Rouge, Cora’s and Hurley’s Pub for our Summit events!

I have to confirm by Thursday the 4th to the Baton Rouge.
    I have been speaking to the Bell Center and I am expecting a call again today to say weather they can confirm our game or cancel. I can not make a move until I hear from them. But they are in the same boat about not knowing.
    If I cancel our venues and the league starts playing, we won’t have much of a Summit. Also people that are flying, their plane tickets are in jeopardy.
    I need a cancel sign from the Bell Center in order to get replacement tickets for another game of our choosing, this year or next.

IMPORTANT
    Please do not lose your tickets or misplace them. They are the only thing we have to get a replacement with.!!!!

Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

So when John Bellyfull had me send him my tickets so he could do a sacrifice to the Hockey Gods to help the negotiations, i probably shouldn’t have couriered them to him? ;-)

• Ian Cobb says:

I am so concerned about the people that are traveling and their arrangements costing them if things are left up in the air much longer!!!

• commandant says:

It sounds like the league will begin cancelling games today.

Once that happens, you can probably cancel the summit because even if there is a deal, a shortened schedule will require an NHL “re-write” on all the scheduled games.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Understood Ian, was not trying to make light of the situation. Your concern is appreciated by all I am sure.

12. Chrisadiens says:

Dmitry Chesnokov is reporting that ESPN and two other networks are close to reaching a deal with the KHL. Looks like I need to pick a KHL team to root for.

Chrisadiens and HabFan10912, one of the few father son tandems on HIO.

13. accp says:

An invisible man marries an invisible woman.
    The kids were nothing to look at either.

Have a nice day …

In other sporting news has baseball gone the way of hockey with new fangled stats? Cabrera from the Tigers is no the verge of hitting for the hallowed Triple Crown but there is chatter of Trout winning the MVP based on his WAR stats? Corsi Fenwick have hit MLB.

Me I’m old school, Cabrera not getting MVP if he hits triple crown will be similar to Ted Williams hitting .406 and not getting MVP. Time will tell I guess.

• commandant says:

When it comes to new fangled stats…. Baseball invented the “moneyball” approach and hockey just followed it.

Baseball is actually a sport that works with advanced stats because its such a 1 on 1 game… pitch by pitch being its own unique “event” that can be repeated and hockey doesn’t have the same stop/start points and one on one to define it.

That said, I agree with you… if Cabrear wins the triple crown, he’s MVP in my book.

Just because there are new stats, doesn’t mean we throw out the traditional measures.

Check out Top Shelf Prospects, my Team by Team prospect reports

Yah I hear you on baseball always being the stat league, but only in the past couple years have these news ones like WAR become so prevalent.

To me baseball is about get em on, get em over and get em in. To me that is baseball hitting average and rbi’s, to have Homeruns to boot does all of it at once. I don’t dispute the new stats being relevant, but like you I am not prepared to suddenly discount the relevance of the Triple Crown stats themselves.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Gerald and Ben. I agree with you both. My initial thought with this was suspicious (PED) especially given the recent history and Gagne’s statement that 80% of his teamates were cheaters. So I looked at his stats and there really is nothing which us extremely different then his usual numbers. Maybe I should give him the benefit of doubt?
      ———————————–

Cabrera has been a hitting machine his whole career, this previous past offseason, the Tigers brought in Fielder and Cabrera got himself back into shape so he could play 3rd base again. Given his earlier problems with the bottle in previous off season, one might say he is now off his PED’s. :) Mornin’ Jim.

15. Clay says:

Lockout Haiku #3:
    Can’t wait forever,
    Fans losing patience quickly,
    NFL looks good.

__________________________
    ☞ The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard Feynman ☜

• Lafleurguy says:

Evenin’ Clay. Horrific boat accident south of you.

“May you live in interesting times.”

• Clay says:

Morning Andrew. I just read about that. Sad…the worst part was this line:
        “Rather than rush to help, however, the crew of the other vessel, a ferry, seemed paralyzed… After pausing briefly near the doomed ship filled with holiday revelers, the ferry continued on to its berth”
        I hate to say it, but that attitude happens all too often here. No one takes action or responsibility. No one helps those in need.

__________________________

16. JohnBellyful says:

Lockout — Day 18

[Good morning!]

***

It’s obvious why the contract talks have turned into murmurs. Too many negotiators, not enough instigators. Yeah, instigators – people who goad “or urge forward.”
    There should be a rule in CBA negotiations that requires both sides to have instigators keep pushing the talks forward (unlike the on-ice kind, who yap and push forwards).
    Throw a couple of pit bulls in among the legal beagles and watch the fur fly. You’d see some progress then.
    How would these instigators actually work, you ask yourself, which is rather silly, since it’s my idea, not yours. Here’s how I see it playing out: They’d be a brooding presence in the room, a silent menace ready to pounce into action at the slightest sign of intransigence.
    At first it might be an elbow in the ribs, a slap across the back of the head.
    If the negotiators persisted in stalling, they’d end up in a bathroom stall, their faces plunged into a toilet bowl.
    If talks began to drag, the talkers would be dragged.
    If the negotiators threw up a wall, they’d be … well, you get the idea.
    Simple as that.
    Would there be some bruising? Without question.
    Broken bones? Undoubtedly.
    Spilled blood? Most certainly.
    A new deal? Absolutely.

***

A disturbing video is making the rounds that’s even more embarrassing than the one that hurt Mitt Romney’s chances of election – hidden camera footage that clearly shows what Bettman thinks of the players and the fans. At one point he’s so overcome with glee that he lies on the floor, spinning around in a circle. This is after he tangles with a headless dummy (a symbolic representation of the fan who has no voice and must suffer endless abuse, after an initial show of affection). The man has no sense of decency.

Make ‘em cry
    Make ‘em cry
    Don’t you know every fan wants to cry
    (Wah wah!)
    My dad said “Be a lawyer, my son
    He was right, a league I now run
    The owners they don’t care
    How I act, so long as I’m not Fehr

I didn’t become a lawyer to be nice to fellow man
    I did it for the money, who gives a crap about the fan
    As long as he buys tickets
    I’ll keep kicking his can
    Make him cry
    Make him cry
    Make him cry

Make ‘em
    Make ‘em cry
    Don’t you know every fan wants to cry
    He pays a scalper, ends up going broke
    For a game I’ve turned into joke

Make ‘em roar
    Make ‘em scream
    They’re upset
    What I”ve done
    To their team

You start off by pretending
    That you really want a deal
    The union makes an offer
    You claim is too unreal
    The truth is, what you’re planning
    It’s more share you want to steal
    Make ‘em cry
    Make ‘em cry
    Make ‘em cry

***
    Matty, Cal, Bripro, Clay, the monthly meeting of the Versifying Posters has been rescheduled to next Tuesday, 10 a.m. in the HIO boardroom. BYOB (bring your own ballads).
    BTW, excellent work there yesterday, Matty.
    Cal, Bripro, Clay, three old pros. I mean poets.

• Cal says:

You are funny when you get Tarentino violent! :D

Today’s counterpoint:

Bettman: Isn’t it a bitch? Isn’t it unfair?
      My offer here at last on the ground and yours in mid-air.
      Send in the fans.

Fehr: Isn’t this fun? Don’t you approve?
      You’re the one who keeps tearing around and I just don’t move.
      But where are the fans? Send in the fans.

Bettman: Just when I stopped everything cold
      You tried court measures too bold,
      But I told you where to stick it.

I’m sure of my lines
      but Nobody’s there

Fehr: Don’t you love this farce? It’s your fault I fear
      I thought that you’d want what I want, so sorry my dear
      But where are the fans? Send in the fans.
      Don’t bother they’re here

Bettman: Isn’t this a bitch? Isn’t it queer?
      Losing the season again this late in my career
      But where are the fans? Send in the fans
      Well, maybe next year

• Habfan10912 says:

Clap

Thank you for scaling this down for me today JB. :)
      ———————————–

Another perspective looking at the current CBA talks, unfortunately this one doesn’t look much more optimistic.

18. Curtis O Habs says:

So Evander Kane`s agent, hired a financial adviser, to help Evander save most of his 900 000$ salary. I can`t begin to imagine the hardship he would have gone through without all these people around to take care of him.

• B says:

As per capgeek, Kane has not only had a $.9M per season salary for the last 3 seasons, he was also eligible for (and likely earned most or all of) another $2.2M per season in bonus money. Hopefully with the right professional advice, he will be able to stretch his money and somehow manage to survive without an NHL paycheck for as long as this mess takes. Poor soul :)

19. Boomer says:

Armdog is on L’antichambre ;)

20. Blondie says:

Sometimes I think I can live without it and I’d like to boycott all things NHL just to show them how upset I am. (Edit: Like they’d notice – lol) But I know I’ll be back for the first puck drop. Sigh. C’mon guys gimme a reason…

• Habfan10912 says:

A lot of us are in the same boat Blondie. Best I could commit to was a boycott of any NHL merchandise purchases. Too much of an addict to commit to anything more.

———————————–

21. Boomer says:

I don’t think Stortini will be called up to the big show. MB probably signed him to watch the rookies’ backs…

• Ron says:

I don’t think he will either. It looks like MB signed him for the AHL to take the blunt of the rough stuff till the first year players coming from junior get a year under their belt. The one year contract might be extended if he pans out.

22. Mark C says:

For all you fisticuff fans, here’s video of today’s Hagel Schultz bout.

23. punkster says:

I think I’d like to see what Showey has to say about Stortini before we get all wrought up over the guy. Takes a Sudbury boy to have an eye for that kind of talent.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

24. Psycho29 says:

I’m almost afraid to mention it here but CJAD will play an interview with Scott Gomez tomorrow morning at 7:25.
    I heard a clip, Rick Moffatt ask him a question (I forget exactly what) but it started with “Your fans want to know….”
    Gomez replied “I didn’t know I had fans!! Hahahah” and then he answered the question…

Discuss amongst yourselves….

25. habstrinifan says:

Hey poster NEW…. that was a great line in your post under the Markov thread (reply limit reached so i cant comment there) at 1:13 on October 1 2012. I think I’ll borrow it sometimes.

Or to put it in your second language.. It was F…ING genius.

And while I am talking your language, NEW… Two things are F…ing pissing me off.

Thing one…. no F…ing hockey.
    Thing two….. my fear that when f…ing hockey comes back P.K might not be wearing a f…ing habs uniform.

F***^& …. and to think the Obeah lady said I was in for a good year.

Not so far!

*Rant/Lecture Alert
    Okay so I have never been a proponent of goon hockey or having guys on the bench who only fight.

HOWEVER, team toughness is a mindset which needs to be backed up by players who can deliver some physical talents. The signing of Zach Stortini is an AHL signing which I believe is a clear message to the mothership that the Montreal Canadiens will no longer be a physical pushover. And it isn’t just the signing of Stortini, but the additions of Boullion, Armstrong and Prust. Then you have the resigning of Moen, White and Blunden. There have been other invites/signings for the Bulldogs which clearly show that the current GM/Coach of the Habs wants a more physical brand of hockey.

It is unfortunate that the NHL has decided not to enforce the rulebook, but the reality is that they haven’t. I am not for goon hockey, but the reality is that in todays NHL most policing is done on the ice by players and not by officials and certainly not by the NHL’s head office.

I am not saying I hope Stortini somehow makes the Habs roster, but this team is clearly changing the mentality and that is that players stand up for each other. How often over the past few years do you think Moen got tired of being the guy everyone looked to scrap in defense of his teammates? Do you think Travis is a little or alot relieved that he is no longer on a island? Also, don’t you think this will make the Pacioretty, Cole, Bourque type players play a little bigger?

I am quite happy that MB has recognized the kind of game which the NHL Head Office is currently allowing to be played and this team is reacting accordingly.

Bob Gainey had a wonderful altruistic outlook on what was supposed to be the new NHL, but he was dramatically letdown by the enforcement from league offices, yet the team refused to change its methodology.

As they say, when in Rome do as the Romans do. Well, it seems the Habs have figured out what the Romans are doing.

27. commandant says:

Of all the Habs players (excluding kids like Leblanc, Gallagher, Tinordi, Galchenyuk, etc….) but of all the vets Markov being on the ice and playing games during the lockout might be the most important.

He quite simply needs to work off the rust and get to full speed. I like that he’s going to Moscow.

• Bripro says:

I agree but I hope he’s well insured.

*********************************************
      “I’m here to tell you: Gary Bettman hasn’t felt this alive since he killed Harry Potter’s parents.”

• Habfan10912 says:

Ben I agree. He needs to build his stamina as well as getting his timing and such back. Plus this might keep him off the ski slopes. :). Joking.

———————————–

A lot can be said about the whole size and grit thing. And a lot of it has already been said. Still. There seems to be some debate if not confusion, a not being clear on the concept.

It’s not size and grit versus skill and speed but size, grit, skill and speed together that makes it so. Number 1.

The brain trust wants to go tougher, more physical. Good. Nobody said less skill or speed.

As for the Stortini’s of the world. If they are responsible defensively and can contribute some points, great! That’s better than a player who can skate like the wind but couldn’t score if his life depended on it nor punch his way out of a paper bag.

• commandant says:

I agree with everything you are saying….. I want tough players who can also play the game.

The thing with Stortini though is, I’ve seen enough to know that the guy can not play the game. He’s not “responsible defensively and can contribute some points” not even at the AHL level. This is a descpription that pretty much no scout would have of his game.

Look I was one of the biggest supporters of signing Prust. I love that move. I love bringing Travis Moen back too. But there is nothing in Stortini’s game to love, and I hope we never see him in Montreal. Not even for one game.

He’s not even that tough, the guy loses most of his fights… check him out at hockeyfights.com

• Ron says:

It would appear that you have viewed him more than Marc Bergevin then as it was he who signed him to the contract. If in the end Zach is a big flop so be it but right now I have to lean towards MB’s assessment of his playing ability over anything you perceive as not good enough for the AHL level. But again we are all entitled to our opinion.

• commandant says:

What would be the point of commenting on these articles if we didn’t give our opinions.

Yes, my opinion (based on what I’ve seen of Stortini) is that he is a liability on the ice.

Hagel is also a liability on the ice.

Last year we had Fitzgerald who was a liability in Hamilton.

We also had Alex Henry who was tough, but a good player for the Dogs. A solid AHL defenceman. I wish we re-signed him instead of getting a Stortini.

• Ron says:

Don’t know if it was the Bulldogs that soured on Henry or he himself thought it was time for a scenery change. He appeared to be locked into the AHL with the management mind set last year. There were times that he could have been brought up for a few games when injuries were plaguing the Habs but I think the re-entry wavers would have put him in a position to be picked up off which the Habs would not chance. A career AHL’er but a solid one. Hagel does not appear to be a stand out and Fitz was a wash.

• frontenac1 says:

@commandant re/ Henry. Agreed . We should have kept him. He was big,tough,could play the game and was a good leader (captain) for the kids. Still don’t know why we lost him to Europe.

Having a guy on the farm standing up for teammates isn’t a bad thing. I think what MB is trying to show the whole team is that we are not the Habs of the last 3-4 years whom teams took advantage of. If for nothing else, Stortini can absorb some punches that otherwise a rookie like Tinordi may otherwise have absorbed. To me that is a good thing.

29. Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

This is an easy idea for me to float, as I’m about a two hour drive from the nearest airport that I’d need to get to to make the 90 minute flight to MTL to see a game, but……

Fans in all 30 cities should boycott home openers whenever things get going again. How hilarious and at the same time point proving would that be, 30 empty buildings. Shouldn’t be too hard to make happen.

______________________________________________________
    Lost a bottle of Kraken during this debacle of a season. Better gettem next year.

• JF says:

I doubt season-ticket holders will be boycotting any games. But for the rest of us, it’s a great idea and would send a strong message to the League.

I’m reading more and more comments on various blogs to the effect of “F U NHL.” I hope enough people still feel like this after the lockout ends for the League to take a substantial hit in attendance figures. I think that would be the only thing that would make them think twice before locking the players out next time. Otherwise we’ll see the lockout continue to be the League’s main negotiating tool – weapon, rather – and one season out of every six or seven will be shortened or lost.

30. jeffhabfan says:

I guess I have to spell better. I Have never talked to Jordan but P.K. was very hard to get a autogragh from but that comes from now being a N.H.L. star.

31. habs11s says:

How on earth do you have hours of conversation and get NOTHING done…

_____________________________________________________________

• Habfan10912 says:

Ever been to Washington?

———————————–

• habs11s says:

Touche! I’m just sick of this crap, it’s the same thing every meeting. … wake me when it’s over…

_____________________________________________________________

32. HabFab says:

Markov to the KHL, news at 11.

• Timo says:

So, if he gets injured while playing in KHL, say (oh what are the chances) his knee gets blown again… do Habs still have to pay him?

• Bripro says:

If he’s like most of the others, he’s being paid enough to cover the insurance that covers his NHL salary.

*********************************************

33. HabFab says:

@ed lopez – our boy is out for a month or so. Hopefully not long…

34. SmartDog says:

Some thoughts:
    * Now that he’s stonewalled the NHL for months, Fehr will show the NHLPA found the right guy if he now finds a big bone to throw to the NHL and gets things moving in a direction with some compromise.
    * If Stortini is there to protect our developing AHL players, he’s a good signing.
    * Scott Gomez on the radio talking about the new management saying “I’ll play defense if they want me to…”. He should’ve continued with “as long as I keep cashing those crazy big paychecks I’ll go through the motions in ANY position”.
    * Re. Kadri – kudos to the Maple Leafs organization for managing to keep up the tradition of screwing up their hockey organization even during a lock-out. Well done!
    SD
    ————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• Mustang says:

If the dog is really smart, he will hope that there is some meat on that bone. Personally, I think that this is going to be a very long process that may just end up cancelling the entire season. I hope that I am wrong but I don’t feel good about this situation at all as both sides appear to be settling in for the long haul.

• SmartDog says:

That’s what I mean. Fehr has the NHL chomping at the bit for movement. There SHOULD be some meat on that bone. If he just keeps stonewalling, nothing’s gonna move.

————————————-
        Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• shiram says:

See Commandant’s post about protection… is it really protection, or only revenge?

• Sean Bonjovi says:

The point of signing Stortini is for him seek vengeance rather than guys like Tinordi. I’d rather see the refs call penalties, and have the leagues hand out suspensions, but since they don’t we might as well play by the same rules as every other team. I totally agree that goons aren’t a deterrent, but they don’t need to be to have value.

• Lawrencetown Liquor Pigs says:

Here here. Hard to be Switzerland when everybody else is playing the Wild West.

______________________________________________________

• commandant says:

You don’t have to be Switzerland, but your tough guys should also be able to take a regular shift.

I see Prust and Moen’s toughness as useful…. a Stortini or Laraque as useless, because they are unlikely to even be on the ice when an incident occurs.

• Ron says:

Whichever it is, I am glad someone is there to look after the young juniors coming up. Everyone has their own view on the subject. Because one person or 100 people say it does not necessarily mean it is right or wrong. Protection, deterrent or revenge, its the way it is, like it or not. We all have our choice.

• Jim Edson says:

Fehr has been delaying and delaying just to bait the Owners to a lockout.

He wanted a lockout in hope of trying the entire CBA in the court of public opinion and getting a “status quo” CBA done!

Fehr loves confrontation nothing else!

The NHL knows this and refused his offer of playing under the old CBA while negotiating a new one which would allow more stonewalling and little progress.

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

They tell him what they want done and he works to make it happen through his subordinates while making sure that individual franchises play by the rules.

******** Translated if you haven’t won the Stanley Cup in 40 years your NHL team is becoming irrelevant in a sports mad city long behind MLB, NFL and NBA teams, you just tell the commissioner(who you gave a new contract at 7 plus million per) to make it happen and the rules are bent sufficiently to action the command.

35. Bripro says:

Hockey frustration song no. 4

Cue the music (condensed version)

A long long time ago
    I can still remember how
    That hockey used to make me smile
    And I knew if I had my stick
    I’d get on the ice and do my shtick
    And my folks would be happy for a while

Now hiring Fehr made me shiver
    With memory of the ‘spos gone forever
    Bad news on the doorstep
    I couldn’t listen to his pep
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When Butthead locked out players and their pride
    But something burned me deep inside
    The day that our game died

Bye bye our pastime of pride
    Drove Don Chevy back to hockey but the ‘sockem had died
    Them good ole Habs were off flying the skies
    Looking for a game they could play with some pride
    Since the void of the fans’ battle cry

Did you write the blog above
    Of our wish flying on the wings of doves
    If the CBA tells you so?
    Now do you have faith in both sides now?
    I’ll put more faith in the family cow,
    We’ll wait as they negotiate real slooooow?

Well, I know your patience is running thin
    Seeing Daly at the bar with gin
    Both sides kicked off their shoes
    Man, I hate those old hockey blues
    I have a three-year-old broncin’ buck
    Who likes to play drive in my pickup truck
    But I knew I was out of luck
    The day the hockey had died
    I had to tell him:

Bye bye our hockey nigh time
    I’d watch Don Cherry on the tele but the tele has died
    Them bad ol’ Bs are off flying their kites
    Playing with their kids with some pride
    ‘Cause greed is keeping hockey aside

*********************************************

36. punkster says:

Lockout analysis according to punkster:

After another week in the glorious back country of Killarney Park enjoying the early morning sunrises, hiking trails, fall colours, and nightly bbq feasts I have but one thing to say about this lockout…both sides are st00pid.

Much golf still to be played…a fat turkey to be consumed over the days following Thanksgiving…bags and bags of leaves to be raked…front door steps to be prepped for Halloween…early Xmas shopping to be done…the NHL and the PA can go f themselves for all I care.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

37. Habilis says:

Today’s lockout analysis, courtesy of Piere Lebrun:

“You can’t possibly need 12 months to figure out how to share revenues. That’s asinine.”

That about sums it up for me. These “negotiators” should be utterly embarassed.

38. TommyB says:

Talks have broken off, with no plans to resume. Wow, big surprise! To who, exactly? Many people involved in this fiasco, and many who are not directly involved but make a living writing and commenting on the sport, have been saying all along that play won’t resume until sometime after the U.S. Thanksgiving. And it makes sense, really. Fans in Canada can bitch and moan, but in the end they will all be back as if nothing happened the day this thing is resolved. The U.S. fans, perhaps the only fans the league really might be concerned about, due to the number of teams in American cities, won’t even notice there is no NHL hockey until after the MLB playoffs and World Series are over. In the U.S.-market driven NHL, why be concerned right now? Then there is the hard sought after NBC contract that finally came to reality a couple of years ago. I would find it extremely hard to believe the NHL would jeopardize that deal in any way.

But…and I’m not certain about this because I don’t watch the NHL on NBC, don’t they start their hockey broadcasts later in the fall, rather than from day one like we do here in Canada? Perhaps once baseball is finished? Even Wayne Gretzky feels this will not be a season-long lockout, and he mentions a startup after Thanksgiving as well. Wayne might have a bit of an idea what the owners are thinking, you would assume. So in the final analysis, it all looks like a pre-planned waste of time in an effort to try to skin the players and maybe damage the PA a bit again since they were starting to climb back out of the hole they were put in under Goodenow.

Bettman now sends Daly to face the reporters daily (did not intend that pun…but) instead of having to field the same questions over and over again himself. He waits until there is actually something to be said. The announcement of the loss of $100 million dollars with the pre-season being cancelled just makes this whole thing look that much more insane. What would the owners share of that little bundle be worth? Obviously not enough to provoke even a nervous twitch. How can you sit and lose 47% of that, with more games being cancelled in the next day or two, and in the same breath tell us they are as concerned as we are about getting this deal done ASAP? I call bullshit. The dollars that come from the 24 U.S. cities will be the dollars that count the most. The NHL will want to get things going again before those fans show some lost interest, and until those fans even realize that hockey ain’t there, only then will the NHL get serious.

• commandant says:

NHL on NBCSports starts very early in the season (the NBCSports being the old VS cable station, that does cable games during the week).

The first nationally broadcast game on NBC is black Friday (the day after US thanksgiving).

• TommyB says:

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me. So, nationally, NHL on NBC starts after Thanksgiving. Regionally, they start earlier? It was the national telecasts that the NHL was chasing for years, finally sewing that up only recently (maybe 2 years ago)? Hey, I’m getting older and my memory fails me at times. That national broadcast deal would be the deal the NHL does not want to mess with. It took too long to reach that goal. Pass the gravy.

• commandant says:

Regionally things start right away. But regional is up to each individual team

ie Bruins have NESN, others are on Fox Sports channels, Sabres, Rags, Isles, Devils all on MSG, Panthers on Sunshine Network etc…

NBCSports Network… is national coverage, but its on a cable channel, like RogersSportsnet or TSN up here not regular “NBC”

NBC ie the national “over the air” broadcaster, starts the day after thanksgiving.

Basically NBC is part of everyone’s basic cable package… NBCSports would be an add-on channel that you get with a better cable package.

• mrhabby says:

i was saying by mid October or end of October the strike would end with a 2 week training camp and games to start around mid November. I don’t think that its unreasonable or after black friday seems a good guess too. I get the feeling after reading all this crap that its all some how prearranged and we just see alot BS from these dopes. The teams that are in the red will see some significant savings by the time November rolls around.

39. Bripro says:

Shiram!!!
    I saw on the previous thread that you and Matty managed tickets for a Bulldog’s game.
    I tried to go through the Habs ticket sales (online) but couldn’t get them.
    Did you have to go to the Bell centre?

*********************************************

40. frontenac1 says:

Hey Amigos! Sportsnet reporting Gomez signs with Alaska in ECHL. How the fu*k is Alaska on the east coast? And who the hell would sign Gomez to anything?
    Oh well, make my next a double Rosie.

41. jeffhabfan says:

Went to KraftHockeyVille on Sunday and Mate 4 Bulls.Malcom Subban Being one of them and Getting his Autogragh is alot easy then his brothers.To bad the Bruins Drafted him.

42. Hobie Hansen says:

“New Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin and coach Michel Therrien have made it clear they want to be a tougher, more physical team once the lockout ends”

Finally we have some people in the front office that know how to construct a hockey team. I’ve been saying it for years, that we have to get much tougher, then I was usually compared to Don Cherry or Brian Burke by a slew of posters.

Suddenly you are allowed to talk about toughness on this site – with the new management in place. Kinda funny.

I’d love it if Stortini got the call when we played the Bruins.

Stortini Vs Lucic sounds pretty good to me!

• shiram says:

There’s toughness and then there are skill-less thugs.
      Moen is a tough player, but he can play, kill penalties and pot in the odd goal.
      The Zack Stortini’s of this world, I can do without.

• Kooch7800 says:

prust and White can play as well. Stortini is just on a tryout with the bulldogs. If he can’t play he won’t stick. I am ok with him having a tryout he played with the dogs a few years ago when Edmonton also had ties there.

• Ron says:

I’m not saying you will, but if say Gallagher gets taken advantage of during a shift and Zach comes to his aid beating the guy to protect him, will you be happy he is there to do it ?

• shiram says:

I’d rather someone that can play a regular shift and that can be sent on the ice for other reasons than just fisticuffs go defend Gallagher.

• Ron says:

I don’t agree on that note. I would rather have Zach do the job and sit in the box than someone who can contribute on the ice sit. Leave the better players play and those that look after the fisticuffs do it. We are talking AHL here now, not the Habs.

• shiram says:

There’s only 23 spots for players on a team, having Stortini on there only to fight is a waste of a spot if you can have someone that contributes on the ice and can handle himself in fights too.

• commandant says:

Only with the instigator rule, this rarely happens.

It may have been possible in the 70s and 80s, but in today’s league, if you aren’t on the ice the moment the actual offence occurs; you are unlikely to be able to go for a revenge fight.

This is why you need guys who are both tough and play hockey, rather than the 2 minute per game thug. Because the tough guy who can play the game, plays on a line with your good players and protects them… the protection from the thug on the end of the bench just isn’t there with current rules.

The days of Dave Semenko being put on the ice to protect a Gretzky are long gone.

• Ron says:

Your back in the ideal world or make believe one. We are talking the Bulldogs at present. Until the Habs draft or acquire that type of player and develope him in the AHL, they are making short gap fixes. Hence his 1 year contract.

• commandant says:

Like I said… we’ve seen this with Lucic/Laraque.

We also saw it when Kurt Sauer elbowed Andrei Kostitsyn in the head in Phoenix, and Laraque went after him.

Both Lucic and Sauer skated away from Laraque and refused to fight him, and there was nothing Big Georges could do about it.

We talk about protection, and “make believe worlds” and I ask who is in one?

Is it really protection or is it vengence?

Ask the big bad bruins who have protected Marc Savard, Patrice Bergeron, and Nathan Horton all from being hit with dirty plays and injured due to concussions…. Do these guys even protect? or is it just retribution and an eye for an eye at the end of the day.

If you are relying on protection, it seems to me that by the time they get involved, the damage is already done.

• frontenac1 says:

Get rid of the Instigator Rule. Said it before and will say it again.

• db says:

I’m sure Gallagher won’t mind having Stortz on the bench..

• commandant says:

Exactly… the Stortini’s of the world have no place in the NHL.

Plus Lucic won’t even fight him… he’ll just skate past him.

Did we learn nothing from Laraque trying to fight Lucic? How did that work out? Lucic just skated past him and Laraque couldn’t keep up and looked like a fool.

Stortini is no better.

• Ron says:

Again, back in your dream world.

• Ron says:

Whether YOU say the Stortini’s of the world have no place in the NHL it is of course your opinion. With every one againist that type of player there would be one for it so that aspect will not change. In the meantime down in the AHL and I’m not talking the NHL, I am glad there will be one or more players there to on the Bulldogs squad in the line up to help keep players inline who go after our younger skilled players coming out of junior. You can blog and post like anyone else for or against such players, but in the end it is the NHL and NHLPA who will constitute what is acceptable.

• Phil C says:

You should check out some of Stortini’s fights at Hockeyfights.com, he’s really not a great fighter, although full credit to him for going with the heavyweights. But I’m pretty sure Lucic would pound him badly. He seems like a career minor leaguer to me. Still a good signing as the farm could use a few vets with toughness.

• frontenac1 says:

You would never get an argument from Frontenac on the need for more toughness. There are a few of us singing from the same hymn book amigo.

43. arcosenate says:

My God, this is absolutley indicative of why is am beginning to despise everyone involved in this dispute:

“Meanwhile, the New York Times had a good feature on Winnipeg Jets forward Evander Kane and how he prepared financially for the lockout. The Times reported that Kane’s agent, Craig Oster, set him up with a financial adviser, who helped him save much of the $900,000 he earned last season.”

After 6 years of worldwide financial disaster for 99 percent of the planet, players and owners have the balls to not be able to come to a fair deal involving billions?

I want to throw up, how I managed to get through a year on a budget of $900k, poor guys, how do they manage?

44. shiram says:

Is Jeremy Jacobs as much to blame for the lockout as Bettman and Fehr are?
    He is chairman of the board of Governors, and it would be one more reason to hate the Bruins…

• commandant says:

The Board of Governors in general is more to blame than Bettman.

Bettman is just the BoG’s hired gun, who does what they tell him to do.

• db says:

Ya but I feel like Bettman is doing the negotiating and chose to go the lockout route, promising higher returns to his bosses. If I were an owner I’d be fine with Bettman, he takes all the hate. I wonder how Molson really feels about all this..

• B says:

As arcosenate pointed out, the PA has long been advising the players to save money for this expected lockout. It has been a part of their plan for quite some time now. The league has been clear since last November that they will not play this season without a new CBA in place. As I see it, Fehr planned for this work stoppage expecting that the loss of games will pressure the league into agreeing to a CBA that is more favourable to the players than what would have been required to get a new CBA done before the loss of any games. It’s purely business, from both sides.

45. mrhabby says:

can arbitration be far behind???

46. Thomas Le Fan says:

Getting tougher? Hey, I’ve got it! Maybe the tough guys can just go punch out Buttman and the owners. Crosby et al could just stand back and watch and then collect the points. Sort of how it works anyway. Whaddyathink? Could work?

/sarc

47. commandant says:

A bit of a different look today. A view down the 401, where Marlies coach Dallas Eakins recently ripped on Nazem Kadri for being “fat”. Is the Leafs “tough love” approach running one of their best prospects out of town?

• HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness coach Eakins was responding to Kadri’s asking “why don’t you tell me I’m pretty anymore?”.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• shiram says:

Good read Ben.

Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC
      Marlie coach comes out and rips Kadri in the newspaper saying he doesn’t eat properly. Imagine headlines saying he’s chubby and fatso.
      Don Cherry ‏@CoachsCornerCBC
      If anyone wants to get a blue print on how to destroy someone, just follow the Toronto Maple Leafs.

I thought destroying prospects was the Habs M.O.?

• Kooch7800 says:

How bad was his actual body fat? All they say is bottom 5 on the tryouts.

Why run him down in the media. If they ever wanted to move this kid they never will be able to. He needs out of Toronto big time. That Burke Regime has to go. They are a joke.

• commandant says:

I haven’t seen the actual numbers.

I think the point of my article though, is that even if there was a problem, the Leafs don’t need to air this kid’s dirty laundry in public every time. Something they have done with him since day 1 it seems.

Perhaps a change of approach or even a change of scenery would change Kadri. I’d love to see him traded to another division rival for a song (like the Rangers trading him to their biggest rivals in London on the cheap), and then see him break out as a LW for us.

48. HabFanSince72 says:

“I’m more than a fighter,”

No Zach – based on your record you’re less than a fighter: punching bag, living embodiment of what is wrong with hockey, doofus, take your pick. But not fighter.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

49. habs_54321 says:

does anyone know if its possible to watch streaming of junior games either ohl, qmjhl, whl, or ahl games i need my hockey fix, their has gotta be a way to watch organized hockey games,

in other news anyone tried playing NHL 13 gm connected mode?

• commandant says:

all of them can be ordered on the respective league pages. You pay by the game, by the team or for a season pass.

• B says:

Has anyone tried streaming hockey games from the internet and connecting to their HDTV to watch? If the quality is comparable, it could be tempting to ditch the Bell dish (RDS HD is my main reason for having it) and just pay to watch the games from the internet instead. If the picture quality on my HDTV would not be as good, then it probably is not worth it (except perhaps for cases where there is no coverage of the game(s) on the dish).

• Kooch7800 says:

I haven’t tried but streaming on an HD screen yet but will as soon as they start. I am thinking though that they are flimed by local stations so they won’t be in HD and with the stream I am thinking the quality is going to suck

• shiram says:

Usually those streams are on low resolution, so blowing it up on a big screen magnifies the low quality.
        But I have not tried to official streams, those might be of better quality.
        I’ll try the Bulldogs stream and try to post on here about the quality.

• B says:

Thanks to all who replied! It sounds like HD quality at a good resolution hockey is not quite there yet on internet streaming. It is certainly better than nothing, but not yet as good as games aired over HD TV broadcasts. Here is hoping they pick up and broadcast a lot of Bulldogs games this season.

• Jim Edson says:

Of course it is!

Much better if your PC/Laptop has an HDMI output and you have enough bandwidth to support HD video which most official broadcasts are!

Did it for years while overseas!

———————————————————————-
      What does the Commissioner of the NHL do?

In short, a league commissioner is the action man for the Board of Governors.

• Blondie says:

I tried to suggest a site but the mods won’t let me :(

50. Ozmodiar says:

I’m guessing Vesa Toskala’s retirement announcement has reminded a few in leaf nation of the trade brought him to TO.

The leafs traded the 13th and 44th picks in the ’07 draft to San Jose (I wonder where those players are now ;)). San Jose flipped those picks for the #9 pick and drafted Couture.

/snicker

51. frontenac1 says:

Scary Pete Says It All. This Guy Looks Familiar.

• Habfan10912 says:

Thanks for sharing this Front. His wife is quite the looker, eh? :)

———————————–

• Bripro says:

That video was funny as hell! Post of the day!

*********************************************

Zzzzzzzzzzzz!

And so on and so on it goes! Get off this lockout and start with the Bulldogs line up, cuts, line combinations, how Brisbois and the other coaches are settling into their rolls on the farm!!!!!!etc. etc.

53. Ron says:

Go Zach, go Bulldogs go.

54. habsfaninboston says:

1st? Where’s Bripro?

• Habfan10912 says:

I dunno? A few days ago JB and Burly were MIA now Bri? Alien kidnapping possibly?

———————————–

• Bripro says:

Hey!!! I’m first again!!!
        Wow, you guys are really slow.

*********************************************

55. Habfan10912 says:

True but BGL was an afterthought after Gainey created Smurfs on Ice.

———————————–

Yah that is a fair point, however, JM did little to help BGL in that role either, but I guess I was thinking more of the trading/signing for players like Gomez, Gionta and Cammy.

But you make a good point. I guess I was also pointing at how PG did little to nothing until the very end of his tenure to make this team any tougher also.

BGL certainly didn’t provide the ammo we expected, but I also believe JM didn’t allow BGL to play his role to full expectations either.

57. Blondie says:

Frankie the bull will help a little in that area. Not too big but tough as nails and not afraid to throw hits or punches.

58. commandant says:

Absolutely, I’d rather a team of tough players who work the corners, throw hits, get to the front of the net, and can generally play the game, rather than relying on a guy playing 2-5 minutes a night to protect my stars.